Commercial, corporate and M&a in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
'A standout in the Dutch market' Allen & Overy LLP is highlighted for its 'pragmatic' approach combined with its breadth of expertise across all aspects of corporate/commercial matters. Annelies van der Pauw heads the team and is also the co-head of global corporate social responsibility. A substantial team advises on M&A, including IPOs, together with private equity deals, joint ventures, corporate governance and finance expertise. It has cross-border capabilities and a proven track record in the finance sector; it advised on the recommended public offer by Saxo Bank for the €424m offer for all the shares in the Dutch online broker BinckBank. Charles Honée is a seasoned adviser; a specialist in corporate and securities law, and Tim Stevens is recommended for his grasp of regulatory regimes. Jasper de Jong is noted for being able to 'get things done'; his expertise includes private equity transactions and Christiaan De Brauw is highlighted for his public M&A skills. Jan Louis Burggraaf has retired.
Annelies van der Pauw; Charles Honée
‘An excellent team with a high level of expertise. A standout in the Dutch market.’
‘They offer solid legal analysis combined with a pragmatic approach.’
‘Jasper de Jong is very committed, takes ownership, has a pragmatic approach, and gets things done.’
‘Tim Stevens has in depth legal knowledge of corporate law and regulatory matters, gives solid advice (without unnecessary ifs and buts) and has a pragmatic approach.’
‘An excellent team with a high level of expertise. Joyce Leemrijse is a pleasure to work with. She has a high level of knowledge, integrity, authority and is extremely proactive and efficient.’
- Advised Anbang on the sale of Vivat to Athora, a Bermuda-based insurance and reinsurance group and the related sale by Athora of Vivat’s non-life activities to NN Group. The deals were valued at close to €3bn.
- Advised Wessanen, European leader in healthy, organic and sustainable food, on its €885m public takeover offer by a consortium consisting of PAI Partners and Charles Jobson.
- Advised TomTom on the €910m sale of its Telematics business to Bridgestone Europe.
For 'complex transactions under time pressure', De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek is a top choice for clients. Arne Grimme heads a practice that offers global services through its offices in Europe and elsewhere and its extensive best friends network. It undertakes the gamut of domestic and international corporate and commercial work ranging from public and private transactions, leveraged buy-outs and complex cross-border transactions to corporate restructurings and private equity deals. It handles transactions of the scale of the acquisition of HEMA by Ramphastos Investments and AkzoNobel's €10.1bn sale of its Specialty Chemicals business to Carlyle and GIC. Klaas de Vries, Michael Schouten and Reinier Kleipool are some of the senior advisors.
‘Great sparring partners and excellent lawyers. The De Brauw team manages the project, is considerate of the corporate’s specifics and fully understands the business. Especially when it comes to complex transactions under time pressure, I would engage De Brauw. The different departments within De Brauw work closely together, which is helpful in projects that require different expertises.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable on all varieties of M&A deals you can think of and does not only have the legal knowledge and drafting skills but they also really understand the financial logic behind it. The team also clearly acts as a team and ensure that there is continuous and proper support during the trajectory towards the client. And the team is really fun to work with.‘
CVC Capital Partners
Eneco Groep shareholders
Gilde Buy Out Partners
NautaDutilh has one of the largest corporate teams in the market and is recommended for providing 'a strong combination of M&A expertise and expertise from other departments' such as energy and life sciences. Lieke van der Velden is the global head of the practice; her broad experience includes a focus on private equity work and the financial sector. Seasoned operator, Leo Groothuis advised HAL Holding NV on its €5.5bn sale of its 77% interest in GrandVision NV to EssilorLuxottica SA. Joost den Engelsman and Stefan Wissing are two of the many experienced team members that cover public and private M&A, transaction structures, and cross-border deals.
Lieke van der Velden
‘A strong combination of M&A expertise and expertise from other departments (finance, IT, labour law etc.) with highly skilled lawyers. Down to earth, easy to work with, persuasive and flexible when needed. One of the best teams I have worked with over the past 10 years.’
‘The Nauta team operates as a tight knit team, also across functionalities. They focus on timely and high quality delivery whereby they have a good eye for delivering an integral product, satisfying all needs of the client.’
‘Nauta’s corporate and M&A team is very pragmatic and the team is well able to understand the specific issues in a transaction.’
Basic Fit N.V.
Dutch Ministry of Finance
Europe Container Terminals
Intel Corporation & Intel Capital
Johnson & Johnson
Royal Dutch Railways
Royal Dutch Shell
- Rpresented Mylan N.V. on its merger with Pfizer’s spin-off Upjohn.
- Representing BinckBank on recommended all-cash public offer by Saxo Bank.
- Represented ABN AMRO Bank on its acquisition of the private banking business of Société Générale.
- Represented SHV Holdings subsidiary, Dyas Holding’s, on its merger with Oranje-Nassau Energie.
The Clifford Chance practice combines an M&A and corporate team that advises domestic and global clients and has an especially impressive roster of private equity clients. It also offers experts with distinct sector knowledge. The team frequently works within its global network whereby it deals with complex cross border M&A, for example, advising Partners Group on the parallel acquisitions of Ammeraal Beltech and Megadyne in two separate auctions conducted almost simultaneously which involving teams in Amsterdam, Milan, London, and elsewhere. Hans Beerlage heads a team that includes key partners Thijs Alexander and Gregory Crookes.
‘Well experienced team that gives good advice.’
Royal Ten Cate
Partners Group No
- Advised Royal DSM and Sinochem Group on the disposal of their 50/50 joint venture DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals.
- Advised ChemicaInvest, a joint venture between CVC Capital Partners and Royal DSM, and Fibrant Holding B.V. on the acquisition of Fibrant by Highsun Group.
- Advised Tele2 on its agreement with Deutsche Telekom to combine Tele2 Netherlands and T-MobileNetherlands. Tele2 will hold a 25% share in the combined company and receive a cash payment of €190m upon closing.
Houthoff is home to a 'great team of top professionals' who also have 'perfect people skills'. The team, headed by Alexander Kaarls, has attracted a number of high-value and complex deals. 'Great negotiator' Willem de Nijs Bik led the advice on Qualcomm's $44bn takeover bid for NXP. It has also handled a number of transactions in the private equity space, and has an ever-growing roster of Asian-based clients. Michiel Pannekoek (in Rotterdam) and newly made up partner Maurits de Haan are some of the highly rated senior members of the team. Jan-Paul van der Hoek has moved in-house.
‘The team is very hands-on and service oriented. The partner is well aware what needs to be done, who is doing what and what the status is, while the rest of the team is working on proper delivery. So, very efficient and effective with a focus on our ball.’
‘Willem de Nijs Bik is a trusted partner for our firm. Sound legal mind and also a great negotiator. Goes the extra mile for his clients. Highly recommended.’
‘The team was the right mix of partner and competent senior associates on the transaction. The senior associates did much of the work with oversight from the partner, and partner involvement on the most challenging issues. Quality service, and advice.’
‘Great team, top professionals, excellent technical skills and above that perfect people skills. Its a pleasure to work with Maurits de Haan, Tessa Rozendaal, Floor de Graaff en Jasmijn.’
Invista / Koch Industries
Media Markt Saturn Group
Apollo Global Management
China Investment Corporation
- Advised Telia Company in on the divestment of its holding in Kcell. Telia Company and Fintur Holdings B.V., which is jointly owned by Telia Company and Turkcell, agreed to sell their 75% stake in the leading Kazakhstani telecommunications operator Kcell JSC to the telecom operator Kazakhtelecom JSC for $446m.
- Advised on InsingerGilissen’s acquisition of Lombard Odier’s Dutch private banking business, creating a business with €1bn assets under management.
- In close cooperation with Vinson & Elkins, advised Vitol in the acquisition by Vitol and IFM Investors of Buckeye Partners’ 50% equity interest in VTTI, the leading global independent provider of energy storage.
Stibbe is highlighted for 'always delivering' on transactions. Heleen Kersten's broad expertise includes high-profile takeover disputes and M&A expert Björn van der Klip also heads the private equity practice and includes KKR among his clients. Allard Metzelaar continues to provide clients with his extensive expertise. The team handles the gamut of corporate and commercial matters ranging from public and private M&A to corporate governance and restructurings. Its work includes acting for Delivery Hero on the €930m sale of its German food delivery businesses to Takeaway.com.
‘Always delivers, very experienced, expertise is top notch.’
Audax Private Equity
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
- Advising EssilorLuxottica on its intended public takeover of GrandVision.
- Advising Eneco on its privatisation in a highly competitive auction process.
- Advised Athora on its acquisition of Vivat from Anbang and the related sale of Vivat Schadeverzekeringen by Athora to NN Group.
AKD can field a very substantial team – there are some 22 partners that handle both domestic and cross-border public and private M&A deals. The team's clients include private equity houses and corporates and it handles a large volume of mid-market work. The practice attracts referrals from many of the leading US and UK law firms who consider it 'super to work with'. Carlos Pita Cao 'is a fast and very creative deal maker'; the 'excellent' Nathalie van Woerkom and Lennart Crain are also highly rated.
Carlos Pita Cao
‘The AKD team is one of the very best I have come across. They are very solid and very reliable. They continue to consistently better themselves, attracting and retaining very strong and talented people and they are involved in very significant domestic and cross-border transactions. In terms of volume as well, they do a lot of transactions and are very visible in the market. Their people are extremely professional and knowledgeable in the management of complex situations.’
‘AKD should be noted as extremely knowledgeable, solid, reliable and mega fast service provider when it comes to M&A deals. Their documentation is clear, accurate and very to the point. Their negotiation skills are tough. Yet they manage to turn the deals in a fast tempo, always keeping the clock and meeting or even beating the client’s and adversary’s expectations.’
‘The team was super to work with – responsive, detailed and thoughtful.’
‘Carlos Pita Cao is a sharp, fast and very creative deal maker that displays poise, confidence and calm, no matter how much pressure is on the deal. Whatever comes out of his hands, or his team’s hands, is right on the spot and always beats the clock. That is why clients love to work with him. When you know Carlos is on the other side, the deal will get through.’
‘Nathalie van Woerkom we know already for a very long time. She is an outstanding M&A counsel, excellent negotiator and a great team leader. She has an impressive roster of high profile clients, be it strategic or funds who have been her client since many years.’
‘Lennart Crain is a good win from De Brauw, that is a great addition.’
Seaway Heavy Lifting
Inkef Capital (a captive fund belonging to one of Europe’s largest
pension funds Dutch ABP)
Kerridge Commercial Systems Ltd
K3 Business Technology Group Plc
Total Produce Plc
Facilicom Services Group
FB Oranjewoud Participaties
- Assisted VINCI in acquiring Bosman Bedrijven.
- Assisted Pacombi Group B.V. (Paardekooper group of companies) in the acquisition of Broekhof Verpakkingen B.V.
- Acted as counsel to the shareholders of Konnect, the largest software provider for childcare facilities throughout the Netherlands. The transaction was part of a deal where a private equity (BB Capital Investments & Vortex Capital Partners) backed SPV acquired three of the larger software providers for child(day)care facilities.
Baker McKenzie is 'very strong' across all aspects of corporate and M&A work, and is backed by a substantial global network. Mohammed Almarini, Casper Banz and Kim Tan jointly head up the practice, which fields experts across all practice areas including practitioners from the banking and finance, capital markets, private equity and tax groups, and also has a dedicated corporate structures team. The department's recent cross-border work included advising Egeria on its acquisition of the Irish-headquartered MAAS Aviation.
Mohammed Almarini; Casper Banz; Kim Tan
‘This firm has been instrumental in the establishment of our business over the past two years. Very strong in M&A corporate law, company establishment, articles of Incorporation, and other business law.’
‘Fast response to questions, takes the initiative, open about skills.‘
BlueGem Capital Partners
Koninklijke De Heus
Ergon Capital Partners
Ford Motor Company
Grundfos Holding A/S
Koolen & Partners
One Equity Partners
RB Family Capital
Wagram Equity Partners
- Advised Egeria on its acquisition of Irish headquartered MAAS Aviation Group, one of the leading commercial aircraft painting companies in the world.
- Advised Grundfos, a Danish company with a focus on water pumps, on the acquisition of Solvermedia, a Dutch company owning a portfolio of webshops with a focus on paint spray machines and water pumps.
- Acted for Wagram Equity Partners on the agreed acquisition of cream liqueur manufacturer Creamy Creations from Royal Friesland Campina.
deBreij is singled out by clients for its expertise in mid-market transactions and 'operating at the same quality level as the big, well-known firms'. Dennis de Breij, Laura Overes, Wytse Huidekoper and Gaston Freijser are the senior advisers in the team, which is attracting increasing numbers of mandates in the €5m to €350m transaction range; the group is also in demand for board room level issues and attracts referrals from Dutch and international firms. Clients span the banking and finance industry and a wide range of other sectors.
Dennis de Breij; Laura Overes; Wytse Huidekoper; Gaston Freijser
‘Content experts. Strong connection with business demands, legal issues are addressed in a practical way with a can-do mentality. Aftercare. Clear M&A strategy in which I as a customer have never been surprised.’
‘Very good availability, pragmatic and involved in the transaction. The deBreij team really has the interest of the customer as its first focus. Their up-to-date knowledge helped us enormously. They have a good feeling about where to make a compromise and where to stand firm in such a process.’
‘Excellent M&A lawyers, pleasant to work with, good availability and a practical approach. The team is well attuned to each other, work efficiently and therefore have a good price-quality ratio.’
‘Big firm quality and experience paired with a strong focus on M&A, boutique flexibility, high partner attention and very competitive tariffs. Personal approach, almost always responsive/available, business savvy.’
‘Strong execution and able to deal with complex transactions.’
‘The deBreij team is unique because of their creativity and unlimited efforts to close (almost) every case successfully. All members of the team are always on stand-by and ready to take on a new project. And last but not least, the deBreij team distinguishes itself by thinking out of the box and staying ahead of the competition.’
‘The practice is operating at the same quality level as the big, well-known firms often hired by the large corporates. However, they are more focused on the ‘middle-market’, offering the same quality, but at lower cost. A well oiled team working on the assignment. good knowledge and strong drive towards the desired outcome. strong communication skills.’
Aalberts Industries N.V.
ING Corporate Investments
Koninklijke Ahold Delhaize N.V
Garbe Institutional Capital Netherlands B.V.
Onyx Investments B.V.
HRK International Limited
Pols Potten B.V.
Coöperatie Klaverblad Verzekeringen U.A.
Monuta Holding N.V.
- Advised Value Creation Capital on the sale of 100% of its shares in CXO Software to Insightsoftware, the global leader in enterprise resource planning.
- Advised Aalberts Industries on the acquisition of all the shares in the share capital of VAF Industries, a specialist in high-tech sensors and measurement systems.
- Advised the management of Eureco-Pharma on the management buy-out of Eureco-Pharma, a parallel importer of medicines for Dutch hospitals.
With a 'hands-on and personal approach' the team at Dentons provides a wealth of M&A, corporate and private equity expertise. The group has a track record in transactions in the energy sector and leverages its global network to handle transactions involving China, Russia, CIS countries and Latin American jurisdictions. Casper Haket is the seasoned team head and Kuif Klein Wassink, who is global co-chair of the private equity practice, brings 'calm to sometimes hectic deals'. David Griston co-chairs the global energy group and has considerable cross-border M&A experience in the sector.
‘The team is very hands-on, has a very personal approach and feels like an extension of our own legal team rather than an outside counsel. This approach also works very well with counter parties and their counsel.’
‘Kuif Klein Wassink is very relaxed and brings some calm to sometimes hectic deals.‘
Black & Decker
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts
Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA)
Procter & Gamble
Savills Investment Management
TKH Group NV
- Advising TKH on its divestment of the majority of industrial connectivity activities.
- Advised Sev.en Energy Group on the acquisition of a 50% stake in InterGen, a Dutch-based independent power producer with assets in the UK and Australia.
- Advising KKR-backed Calsonic Kansei on its acquisition of Magneti Marelli (the automotive components business of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles).
The DLA Piper team is praised by clients as 'outstanding and commercially minded'. Group head Daphne Bens advises on complex cross-border M&A transactions and has a focus on the technology sector, while Pieter Paul Terpstra's extensive cross-border expertise adds Aegon, Zurich Insurance Group and Commonwealth Investments to his client roster. The team was recently bolstered by the recruitment of Henk Arnold Sijnja, who joined from Baker McKenzie and brings extensive cross-border public and private M&A, IPO and joint venture expertise. Senior associate Stefan Spaan also joined from Allen & Overy LLP.
‘We needed an M&A team who were outstanding, commercially-minded, showed initiative, and who could explain complex Dutch law issues to us clearly. The DLA Piper team achieved all of this.’
‘The DLA Piper team operates as a team. They explore a team approach to the customer. The team consists of the best experts for the specific case, but can easily be scaled up with other experts from the organisation when the customer or DLA Piper thinks it’s necessary. People are friendly but straight to the point and have their own professional judgement, even if the customer has other ideas and those ideas are not in the best interest of the customer.’
‘The team operates decently, even when the opponent is less decent. The members of the team all are perfect representatives of the decent DLA Piper company. They really understand what I want and want to help us get there. They are trusted advisers and care about the company they are advising.’
‘Very commercial, pragmatic and diligent in their work. Strong dedication and timely delivery of work.’
FOX Networks Group
Rabobank / RBS
John Swire & Sons
Ploeger Oxbo Group
General Electric Company
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)
The Financial Times
- Advising BrandDeli, the advertising sales representation partnership between Discovery Benelux, Fox Networks Group and Viacom International Media Networks, on its sale to RTL Nederland.
- Advising German software company Nemetschek on its acquisition of Axxerion Group, a Dutch software company.
- Advising BASF Nederland on its contractual right to exit the Synvina joint venture, which was set up to commercialise self-developed technology for the production of bioplastics. The team also handled the subsequent sale and transfer of the entire joint venture interest held by BASF Nederland to Avantium.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
With its global capabilities, Jones Day can bring extensive resources to corporate deals and fields an especially strong private equity practice. The group advises international and domestic clients on the structuring and set up of EU-based companies, joint ventures and corporate governance issues. Team head Mike Jansen has substantial experience advising US and other international and domestic clients; Ton Schutte and Floris Pierik are also key advisers.
Aurelius Equity Opportunities
Scotts Miracle Gro
Arsenal Capital Partners
Smile Invest Management Company NV
Strong Root Capital
- Advised Aurelius Equity Opportunities, a leading Munich stock exchange listed private equity fund, on the full shop controlled auction sale of leading European fibre-based packaging solutions producer Solidus Solutions group to funds managed by Centerbridge Partners.
- Advising Garmin on the potential acquisition of Tacx, a manufacturer of indoor training equipment.
- Advised Euricom on the acquisition of three subsidiaries of the Marbour Group – Gariboldi, Rol-Ryż Sp. z o.o and Van Sillevoldt Rijst.
The Lexence team has a strong presence in mid-market transactions – both domestic and cross-border. Its expertise spans M&A, private equity deals, corporate structurings, and all aspects of commercial law. In addition to attracting new clients, it has a solid roster of those that are long-standing. In addition to their extensive expertise across M&A and private equity, Joost Houtman, Joost Kolkman, Luc Habets and Michiel van Schooten are the leading team members advising on banking and securities law and management buy-outs and buy-ins.
Joost Houtman; Joost Kolkman; Luc Habets; Michiel van Schooten
Waterland Private Equity
Endeit Capital (Joop van der Ende)
A-Ware Food Group
Modern Dental Group
Hibernia Worldwide Hotels)
Agro Merchants Netherlands BV
Dutch Greentech Fund
Avedon Capital Partners
Sirius Venture Partners
ABN AMRO Participaties
International Wellness Resort
DM Equity Partners
The 'smart and practical' team at Linklaters, headed up by managing partner, Jan Willem de Boer, specialises in all aspects of corporate law, M&A, private equity and restructuring work. In a recent highlight, the group advising Cerberus on its disposal of 100% of the shares in Reydel Automotive Group for $201m. The practice also has a specific focus on the energy, agriculture and industrial sectors. Pieter Riemer routinely advises private equity houses and international funds on leveraged investments. Guido Portier and counsel Anouk Oosterom are also key team members.
Jan Willem de Boer
‘Team members are smart and practical. Knowledge and experience from previous projects is leveraged to provide clear and comprehensive advice.’
Delhaize Group SA
Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd
Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
I Squared Capital Advisors (US) LLC
PJSC Sberbank of Russia
- Advised Pimco, Oaktree (and funds it manages) and Redefine Properties as JV partners, and Griffin Real Estate as investment manager on the €1bn acquisition of a portfolio of 28 retail assets in Poland via an asset deal.
- Acted for Sberbank of Russia on the acquisition of a 45% stake in Yandex and the establishment of a joint venture with Yandex.
- Advised I Squared on the acquisition of TIP Trailer Services from HNA Group.
Loyens & Loeff's partners attract praise for being 'hands on' throughout transactions; Harmen Holtrop in Amsterdam and Bastiaan Cornelisse in Rotterdam jointly lead the practice. The firm has a strong presence in Benelux countries and internationally thanks to its global relationships with law firms and tax advisers. The group also has notable expertise in capital markets, banking, litigation, IP and employment mandates, and handles the full range of corporate work including public takeovers, public-to-private matters, private equity transactions, leveraged buyouts, investments and exits. Antoinette van der Hauw became partner in 2019 and Bas Vletter left the firm in mid-2019 for Greenberg Traurig LLP.
Harmen Holtrop; Bastiaan Cornelisse
‘Loyens has a senior team that has in-depth knowledge in M&A, stakeholder management, regulatory and employment. Compared to other firms, they have senior partners who are hands-on working on transactions.’
Alliander and Annexis Group
Westmont Hospitality Group
- Advised Fleury Michon on its negotiations with the shareholders of the Dutch group MARFO in order to acquire the Dutch company Marfo Food Group Holding with a 90% stake share capital, and 37.5% of the share capital of the Belgian company De Gentse Kluis.
- Advised Ontario-headquartered Westmont Hospitality Group, a global owner and manager of hotels, on the acquisition of business and entertainment complex Ven Amsterdam from the project’s developer Omnam Investment Group.
- Assisted Fiat Chrysler Automobiles with the contemplated merger as presented by Renault.
Norton Rose Fulbright is 'a go-to firm for large, international transactions'. The team, which is led by Saskia Blokland, provides the full range of corporate skills, with expertise ranging from mergers and complex acquisitions to disposals, buy-outs and joint ventures. The group is equally adept in private equity and venture capital matters. Heimon Smits advises vendors, purchasers and investors on international and domestic mandates, and Ep Hannema has a focus on transactions in the financial and insurance sectors.
‘They know a lot about current events in the world of business, have a broad network and also deliver on the core elements, such as legal skills, swift turn-around times, high services levels etc.’
‘NRF is my go-to firm for large international transactions which has anything to do with the Netherlands (and sometimes even just for input even if there are no Dutch elements). Norton Rose is always able to provide timely and efficient assistance.’
Atlantic Methanol (AMPCO)
Emerald Kalama Chemical
Tokyo Electron Limited
- Advised Canadian Tire Corporation (listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange) on its acquisition of the entire share capital in Teodin Holdco, a Norwegian holding company of the HellyHansen group of companies.
- Advised BBGI SICAV on the acquisition of a 49% equity interest in ParticipatiemaatschappijVolkerInfra PPP, an indirect subsidiary of Koninklijke VolkerWessels, which holds three PPP projects in the Netherlands.
- Assisted Hankoe FIP and New Steel (both based in Brazil) with setting up a Dutch joint venture – New Steel Global – with Nucor Corporation (USA).
CMS is praised for its 'great mix of associate and partner involvement' and for 'getting things done'. Roman Tarlavski, who leads the group, handles cross-border M&A, structured joint ventures and private equity transactions, while Reinout Slot's practice encompasses corporate and securities law with an emphasis on private and public equity transactions. As part of a global network, the team utilises its strong industry expertise to handle work spanning mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets, private equity work, funds, joint ventures and strategic alliances.
‘They are very pleasant to work with, knowledgeable, responsive and very down to earth and pragmatic. They provide for a great mix of associate/partner involvement. They know us and our sector very well.’
‘The team at CMS go above and beyond to provide well thought out and pragmatic advice. They understand well the sometimes tricky line between client and lawyer (their role being to advise but ultimately not to decide) and manage this effectively and professionally. They deal with queries efficiently and are courteous and easy to deal with. Finally, they felt like a safe pair of hands in which to entrust our legal issues.’
‘They have a clear industry focus. Consequently they truly understand our business. Compared to other firms they are unique in their hands on approach and industry expertise; they are truly a part of our team and get things done.’
‘The team at CMS, led by Martika Jonk, has been both very professional and very personable. Their willingness to engage with our business and issues at either a detailed or superficial level, depending upon what we needed was a refreshing change from those law firms who believe that they know best when it comes to how much effort needs to be put into every question asked of them.
FD Media Group
- Advised newport.takkt, part of the TAKKT group, on the acquisition of all shares in the capital of XXL Horeca.
- Advised the shareholders of Brand New Telly Industries on the sale of the company to Talpa Network.
- Advised Vattenfall (one of Europe’s largest energy companies) on the acquisition of DELTA Energie from private equity company EQT.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V. is praised for providing 'effective and reasonably priced advice over a range of specialisms'. Tom van Wijngaarden, who leads the team, advises on all aspects of corporate and private equity work, assisting domestic and overseas clients; he advised Infor, an American enterprise software company, on the acquisition of Alfa-Beta Solutions, a Dutch system integrator. Miriam van Ee's corporate practice is focused on the energy sector (she leads the Dutch energy group). The practice also handles complex transactions, including restructurings across a range of sectors, often with cross-border complications. Elmer Veenman joined the team from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek as well as Jeroen Hoekstra who joined the team from Nineyards Law in mid-2019.
Tom van Wijngaarden
‘The advice I received and help I got was on a strategic and business level together with the legal advice. My company is active in many different countries throughout Europe. Eversheds has knowledge in almost all of these countries, which knowledge is available to me by a one stop lawyer, Rob Faasen.’
‘They provided prompt, effective and reasonably priced advice over a range of specialisms.’
Den Hartog B.V.
Visual Retailing/Style Shoots
Kwik Lok Corporation
Ib vogt GmbH
Bright Horizons Family Solution
YesTroostwijk Groep B.V.
Motion Picture Solutions
Aveva Group Plc
- Advised Inspired Thinking Group on the acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of e-Village from ShareNet, Amirant and Rodavi Beheer.
- Advised Sovereign Capital Partners on the sale of Xendo, a leading independent consultancy and project management organisation in the fields of bio-pharmaceutical products, medical devices and healthcare, to ProPharma Group, a portfolio company of US-based Linden Capital Partners.
- Advised on a joint venture between the Finnish Vapo and the Dutch BVB (subsidiary of Nielson BeleggingenBeheer).
Heussen has an experienced cross-border practice with a number of lawyers who specialise in transactions involving various countries including Asian and Latin American jurisdictions and the US. The group also has broad sector expertise ranging from the aerospace and defence industries to the food and healthcare sectors. Senior partners in the 'great all-round corporate team' include group head Stan Robbers and Tim Schreuders, who provide a wealth of expertise across mergers, acquisitions, private equity deals, corporate structurings and finance work. Paul Josephus Jitta left the firm to join Buren.
‘A great all round corporate team, high partner involvement and cost efficient.’
‘A favourite corporate boutique in the Netherlands, delivering excellent support on restructuring and transactional work. Very good price/quality: they have top tier service, experience and quality for more acceptable rates.’
‘Very diverse team, with a focus on M&A and corporate work. Heussen employs a team that has been working together for a very long time.’
‘Tim Schreuders and his team are thoroughly professional and have built relationships with everyone in our group of companies who have been involved with them as we have total trust in their advice.’
‘Very good process control. Driving the transaction forward.’
‘Heussen is a very internationally oriented law firm. My experience is that it works against the highest quality standards. The focus on regions of the world, with international desks (particularly Asia), is unique for a mid sized law firm.’
‘Heussen’s lawyers are very responsive and meet their deadlines. I appreciate that Heussen is very responsive, pragmatic, with hands-on partner involvement.’
‘Each team presents a very professional imagine and their communication is fast and accurate. Their command of the English language is first class.’
‘The team has very good negotiation skills. They have a pragmatic approach and put the client in first place. They are committed.’
‘Expertise beyond what one may expect from comparable firms. Prudent, accurate and swift in their response to queries and requests. Solid document preparations.’
Hitachi Koki (renamed: Hikoki)
Agnico Eagle Mines
China Cosco Shipping
Essity (including its predecessor SCA)
RTL Nederland Ventures
- Advised the private owners of Keulen with its controlled auction sale of Keulen Vleeswaren, Snijders Vleeswaren and VLLVers Logistiek Limburg to private equity owned Group of Butchers.
- Assisted Yamana Gold, a listed Canadian gold producer, with the sale of the Gualcamayo mine to Mineros.
- Acted for RTL Nederland Ventures on the merger of its blended learning first aid training company Livis with competitor Incase and its acquisition of a minority stake in the new combined organisation.
The large team at Hogan Lovells International LLP handles public and private M&A and corporate restructuring work at a domestic and cross-border level; the practice recently advised on Brexit-related migration issues and reorganisation matters. The group also acts for financial institutions, TMT and life sciences clients and global funds. Lead partners include Victor de Vlaam, Johannes Buntjer and Jan de Snaijer.
Victor de Vlaam
Reinsurance Group of America
AB / Inbev (SAB Miller)
X5 Retail Group
Dun & Bradstreet
- Advising Resolution Life Group, a leading long term manager of legacy life insurance portfolios, on a bid for Vivat.
- Advised new client DWS on two consecutive Dutch M&A transactions including its acquisition of The Datacenter Group and NLDC.
- Advised Amsterdam-headquartered Prologis and its affiliates on the $1.1bn sale of a portfolio of buildings and land in Europe and the US to the real estate investment arm of Singaporean sovereign investor Temasek.
'Strongly rooted in Rotterdam but with an international outlook', Ploum is a highly recommended mid-sized firm, and is noted for its strong focus on the energy sector alongside expertise in the transport and logistics industries. 'Outstanding transactional lawyer' Tom Ensink heads up the team, while 'strong negotiator' Albert Wiggers acts for Dutch and international clients and private equity houses on a range of acquisitions and disposals. Stephan Sluijters is a key name for energy sector work, and junior partner Jeroen Terstegge is praised as a 'rising star'. The team has also seen notable growth with the recruitment of several corporate and acquisition finance specialists.
‘Everyone contributes their fair share, they are incredibly motivated and client oriented.’
‘Nick Hessels and Jeroen Terstegge are client focused, responsive, good to approach, keep to deadlines, good quality, well experienced, and good at drafting contracts.’
‘The client service is always high, as is the quality of the advice. The firm is especially strong in M&A work in the energy sector and has an excellent track record. Hands on, client driven and very easy to work with. Good value for money, excellent alternative to the expensive firms.’
‘Jeroen Terstegge is a rising star in the M&A/corporate/energy sector. Very pleasant to work with, dedicated and a very clever lawyer with in depth knowledge. He delivers great work and is able to understand complex issues and deliver clever solutions.’
‘Stephan Sluijters is very pleasant, fast thinking and an excellent deal maker and is on the ball.’
‘The firm is strongly rooted in Rotterdam, but has an international outlook. The team is very much no-nonsense, pragmatic, highly knowledgeable and generally very pleasant to work with or to have act as opposing counsel.’
‘Tom Ensink is an overall outstanding transactional lawyer, who has evidently more than mastered all phases and all aspects of an M&A transaction. He superbly handles cross-border transactions involving many parties, with different interests, be it (strategic) buyers/sellers, investors, banks, borrowers or partners. In addition, he is very down-to-earth, very accessible, always available.’
‘Stephan Sluijters is second to none in transactions in the energy sector, including transactions in the oil and gas industry. He is an excellent transactional lawyer as well. I particularly appreciate his sector expertise.’
‘Albert Wiggers is a solid transactional lawyer and a strong negotiator as well. His arrival has further strengthened the team. The corporate M&A team at Ploum are superb and stand out in the M&A market for their work.’
ONE-Dyas Holdings B.V.
Eszet Bedrijven B.V.
BayWa r.e. renewable energy GmbH
CED Holding B.V.
ABN AMRO Energy Transition Fund B.V.
Enghouse Systems Ltd.
Transports Vervaeke N.V.
James Fisher and Sons Plc
- Assisted Transports Vervaeke with the acquisition of Jan Dohmen, a European leader in tank transportation for the chemical and petrochemical sector, and with a strong position in multimodal transport.
- Assisted Equinix with the acquisition of AMS1, one of three facilities owned by Amsterdam data centre provider Switch Datacenters.
- Advised Enghouse on its acquisition of Telexis and Telexis Solutions, a technology provider which provides public transport agencies and operators end-to-end e-ticketing solutions.
Rob Hendriks leads the practice at Simmons & Simmons, which is 'commercial, pragmatic and decisive'. The team has a track record in asset management and investment funds work with a focus on the energy, infrastructure, life sciences and TMT sectors; it also assists clients with structuring transactions, tax issues and post-merger integration matters. Leo Verhoeff's broad expertise includes assisting private equity firms and management buy-out teams. Managing associate Martijn Stuart and supervising associate Michiel Boer are also cited for their expertise.
‘They have a commercial, pragmatic approach – decisiveness and ability to calibrate the expectations of the counterparty.’
‘Provide a high pace, flexible, clear explanations, Martijn Stuart is seasoned and takes the lead, Michiel Boer has high knowledge, takes time for clear explanations, and Rob Hendriks is always available when required.’
Gilde Equity Management (GEM) Benelux
ING Corporate Investments
Oakley Capital Partners
Meijer Realty Partners/Meyer Bergman
NimbusPlukon Food Group
Groupe Gorgé SA (listed Paris)
DMK (Deutsche MilchKontor)
Savills Investment Management
Ergon capital / TMC
- Advising Bridgestone Europe on an agreement with TomTom to acquire its Telematics business.
- Advised Hines on the acquisition and acquisition financing of the assets of Fresh Park Venlo.
- Advised French-based Lyreco Group, a worldwide distributor of office supplies and workplace products, on the acquisition of the PPE-business of Intersafe and Elacin in the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany and Romania from Broadview Investments, a division of HAL Investments.
Eelco Bijkerk, Dierik Cras and Maarten van der Graaf are senior members of the team at Stek, who advise private equity houses, financial institutions and corporates across a broad range of sectors on mergers, acquisitions, restructurings and other corporate law issues. The group also works with international firms on cross-border mandates. Rim Roomberg joined as senior associate from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
‘An excellent team with the experience of a tier 1 international firm, but with the accessibility and partner involvement of a smaller independent firm.’
Condor Corporate Finance/ Panta Holdings
Nuon / Vattenfall
Wrist Ship Supply
SK FireSafety Group
DentConnect / Curaeos
Danone / DanTrade
- Advised Stedin Group on the sale of Joulz through a controlled auction process to 3i Infrastructure.
- Advising Corendon and its shareholders on its sale to Sunweb, a portfolio company of the Swedish investment company, Triton.
- Advised Uniphar, the largest integrated healthcare supply and services provider in Ireland, on the acquisition of AngioCare, a Dutch independent distributor of diagnostic and interventional therapeutic solutions.
With a 'good quality combination of all-round lawyers and specialists', Van Doorne handles M&A, privatisations, private equity transactions and joint ventures and leverages its sector-specific expertise. The group has also teamed up with one of Europe's leading cybersecurity companies to develop a cybersecurity audit and due diligence product for its clients. Jeroen Sombezki leads the team; Onno Boerstra handles private equity work, joint ventures and management buyouts; and Hugo Reumkens and Friso Foppes advise Dutch and foreign companies, private equity funds and other investors. Steffen Alleman is also a key name to note.
‘Good quality combination of all round lawyers and specialists, very pleasant to work with, strong client focus – they know us and make an extra effort to learn about the market.’
Ascend Performance Materials LLC
Charles River Laboratories
TPG Sixth Street Partners
TransIP Group B.V.
Stella Fietsen Holding B.V.
Volkswagen Pon FinancialServices B.V.
- Advised Europastry with its acquisition of Grand Duet from Gilde Participaties through a share deal.
- Advising Volkswagen on its acquisition of the lease business of Maas Leasing.
- Advising Stern Groep on the contemplated sale of its lease division to the French ALD Automotive as well as entering into a strategic collaboration agreement.
The BarentsKrans team is led by managing partner Michiel Martin, who is highly experienced in acquisitions and sales. Robert-Jan Zwaan is also a key name in the team along with Anne-Rieke van der Linden, who recently rejoined the team from an in-house role. Rhamsey Croes is also singled out. The group's client roster ranges from foreign multinationals to Dutch companies; the team also attracts clients through referrals from international US and UK firms.
‘High quality for a fair price. Partner accessibility and partner involvement is really outstanding. Very knowledgeable and strong client focus.’
Vekoma Rides 1
Total Specific Solutions
Rotla (Central Point)
Zwanenberg Food Group
King & Spalding
- Advised the shareholders of Koninklijke Peitsman on the sale of all shares in the capital of Koninklijke Peitsman to Unilin (part of the Mohawk group).
- Assisted Visbeen and Post-Kogeko with their merger into Daily Logistics Group.
- Assisted Royal KPN, the leading telecoms and IT provider in the Netherlands, with the sale of its subsidiary KPN International.
Biesheuvel Jansen advocaten fields a highly rated team, which is 'agile and flexible'. Quirijn Biesheuvel, who has 'great expertise and is good value for money and business minded' jointly heads up the practice, which is 'creative and solution oriented', with Wouter Brugma. The team handles high-profile transactions with cross-border elements alongside a range of domestic deals.
Quirijn Biesheuvel; Wouter Brugma
‘Biesheuvel Jansen advocaten are, based on my experience, highly professional and very competent in the relevant practice. Our cooperation and their assistance is always excellent. I would highlight also their flexibility, they are always ready to meet even the tight deadlines.’
‘Very strong partner involvement. Not as with some other firms where the partner has more of a commercial role and most of the work gets done by junior team members. Highly experienced in the Dutch mid-market, also when there is an international angle. They know how to deal with more complex transaction situations. Small and agile yet extremely knowledgeable. Easy to approach. There was an immediate trust and understanding and good working relationship.’
‘Small boutique M&A firm. Good quality, great firm for smaller deals, e.g. advising management on buy out transactions.’
‘Quirijn Biesheuvel has great expertise, value for money, hands on, customer oriented, affordable rates. Very service oriented, business minded, straight to the point!’
‘Great team! Good high quality lawyers that understand the deal and contribute in a constructive manner. Also good sparring partners in deal structuring and negotiation.’
‘Biesheuvel Jansen advocaten is a relatively small firm with a very interesting M&A practice. They are involved in huge deals but also smaller sized deals.’
‘We work with them on a frequent basis and our view is that the lawyers are smart but overall very pragmatic and goal driven. Also, their hourly rates are still competitive in relation to the bigger (international) firms.’
‘They have a very senior team and have extensive experience in PE/VC transactions, also on the commercial side of it. They offer more than just legal advice – they fully coordinate and manage transactions which give the company/investors more time to focus on other things. Furthermore, speed is a key word in their approach. What also really helped us is their global network.’
‘High-quality people, proven track record, strong team. What differentiates them from other firms is that they do not only do M&A but also have a strong projects team.’
‘Biesheuvel Jansen has a senior-led team that has a lot of experience in cross-border M&A transactions, including in the energy sector. In my opinion they offer us the best of both worlds: the excellent service of a top tier firm combined with the partner attention and entrepreneurial approach of a boutique firm (including reasonable fees). The team has in-depth knowledge of M&A transactions and the energy sector in general.’
Ace & Tate
Aeves Holding B.V.
ALSO Holding AG
ARCUS Capital AG
Burger King Netherlands
EnCare Biotech B.V.
ENGIE LNG Solutions
HeadFirst Source Group
Ice Lake Capital
INKEF Capital B.V.
Philips Healthtech Ventures
Slingshot Growth Fund B.V.
VANMOOF Global Holding
- Advising the management of Blokker and Big Bazar, including Dutch retail entrepreneur and investor Michiel Witteveen (CEO of Blokker) on the management buyout of Blokker and Big Bazar.
- Advised Cellnex Telecom on the acquisition of Broadcast Partners.
- Advising Guidion (a platform providing technical services) on its joint venture with E.ON Energie Deutschland.
Pauline Vos heads up the Bird & Bird team and advises on national and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and private equity transactions, with a focus on the communications, media and life sciences sectors. Sophie Dingenen advises energy corporates; she is also the head of the energy practice. The team also handles a broad range of acquisitions, divestments and general corporate work.
Daher Aersopace SA
Tech Mahindra Limited
T3l Holding SA
Sapienza Consulting SA
Suntech Power Group
EURUS Energy Europe
Unisun Energy Group
ImmunoPrecise Antibodies Ltd
Cellnex Telecom S.A.
Aduro Biotech, Inc
- Assisting ForeScout Technologies, a leading IoT security company listed on the Nasdaq, with the acquisition of SecurityMatters.
- Representing Gamma Communications on the acquisition of Dutch telecoms group DX Groep.
- Assisting Tech Mahindra, a leading Indian provider of digital transformation, IT, networks, consulting and engineering services, with its acquisition of Dynacommerce, a Dutch company providing end-to-end omni-channel solutions for mobile and fixed telco, cable, media and utility companies.
With offices in Luxembourg, Beijing and Shanghai, Buren fields a substantial international practice, which is supported by its referral network. Pieter van den Berg in The Hague, and Paul Deloo and Steven van der Waal in Amsterdam are the senior advisers in the group, who provide domestic and international clients with the full range of corporate, notarial and tax expertise. The team also advises on mergers and acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and private equity deals, and assists clients with financing, restructuring and shareholder matters. Paul Josephus Jitta joined from Heussen in February 2020.
Pieter van den Berg; Paul Deloo; Steven van der Waal
‘They have a personal and dedicated approach to the clients with a small team of professionals. High professional standard and availability to discuss and promptly solve issues.‘
Cloud Technology Solutions
Park Plaza (PPHE)
KazMunayGas Exploration Production
- Advised Ultrapak Holding on the acquisition of all shares in the capital of Ultrapak and Metapak.
- Advised ABC Westland Beheer B.V. and ABC Westland Beheer C.V. (“ABC Westland”) on the sale of a logistics business park in the agriculture and food industry to international real estate investor Hines.
- Advised on the cross-border merger of Valeant Europe and VALEANT PHARMA Magyarország Kereskedelmi Korlátolt Felelÿsségÿ Társaság.
Thédoor Melchers and Martijn Hermus are at the helm of the Greenberg Traurig LLP team, which has notable strength in outbound and inbound Chinese mandates and cross-border deals for listed and private companies, particularly in the technology and energy sectors. Herald Jongen and Bas Vletter joined the team in 2019 from Allen & Overy LLP and Loyens & Loeff respectively.
Thedoor Melchers; Martijn Hermus
‘Great notary team. Lawyers are very practical.’
‘Thedoor Melchers and Jeroen Den Dunnen did a great job on the notary side.’
Amundi Real Estate
BEWI Group AB
DFFRNT Media BV
Dream Global REIT
Heitman International LLC
OVG Real Estate
Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation
- Assisted the Tacx family with the sale of all of its outstanding shares in the Tacx group to Garmin.
- Advised Parametric Technology Nederland, a subsidiary of US software company Parametric Technology Company, on its acquisition of TWNKLS, an augmented reality company.
- Acted for EHM Group on the sale of its Apollo Hotels portfolio to the Israeli Fattal Hotels group.
Florent's 'entrepreneurial' team is headed up by the seasoned Pieter van den Brink and Matthijs Brons, and specialises in mid-market transactions. Clients range from national and international large and medium-size companies, shareholders, directors and investors. The practice advises on the full range of corporate and commercial matters including private equity investments, joint ventures and buyouts. Katharina Bottenberg and Hester van Woudenberg joined the team from Loyens & Loeff and De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek respectively in 2019.
Pieter van den Brink; Matthijs Brons
‘We like the Florent Team for several different reasons. They are nice people. Talented, punctual, and with good knowledge and are successful at what they do.’
‘The team operates on legal matters, commercial matters, and negotiation matters simultaneously. It helps a lot to get the deal done on the right terms within a limited time frame. The partner is fully involved; the associates are very good and always up to speed.’
‘Team communication is very efficient. The team is very experienced and are likeable people, which is important in negotiations. They look for the possible solutions and clearly describe pro’s and con’s to us.’
‘Pieter Van den Brink is highly skilled, provides reliable advice of high quality. He is service minded and provides prompt feedback.’
‘They are the most entrepreneurial firm in Amsterdam. Always the best value for money and most dedicated people.’
‘The practice has a good educational and experience level, with access to the specific domain knowledge on so many areas. Really personal attitude, professional skill set, customer orientation is really high. I feel that they are part of our team. Always looking for the best solution. Solid discussions to make us all better more purpose orientated people.’
New York Pizza
RH Marine group
Crowd Mobile Ltd.
Spring Investment Management
- Advised WPG on the sale of all shares in the capital of Querido Kind to Singel Uitgevers.
- Advised EAB Group on the acquisition of 14% of the shares in the capital of Fortum Sun, with an option to increase the percentage to a total of 30%.
- Advised Victus Participations on the acquisition of a majority of the shares in PB Techniek.
Sijmen de Lange in Rotterdam and Rutger Lambriex in Amsterdam jointly head up the 'insightful' HVG Law LLP team. Clients are provided with tax (through a strategic alliance with EY Tax) and finance specialisms in addition to the full range of corporate expertise including private M&A, private equity work, joint ventures, divestments and cross-border restructurings. Joram van den Berg joined a substantial team in 2019 from Houthoff.
Sijmen de Lange; Rutger Lambriex
‘HVG’s support and advice is insightful and tailored to the situation thanks to their excellent understanding of transactions and client priorities from a business perspective as well as legal.’
‘The team is great at “big picture” thinking and anticipating needs/issues that may not be on your radar yet. They give very practical solutions and understand the clients needs.’
Charlie Temple/Grandvision Coop
Within Reach Holding
New Office Center
Eurofins Scientific Group
- HVG Law and EY assisted the founder of i3D.net with its sale to gaming giant Ubisoft.
- Advised sustainable energy supplier Greenchoice on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in energy supplier Qurrent from Stichting DOEN.
- Assisted Coop with the acquisition of EMTÉ. This acquisition includes the operations of 130 EMTÉ stores, two regional distribution centres, the meat facility and the operational and commercial headquarters functions.
As a newcomer in the market, Kemperink Maarschalkerweerd Wouters N.V.'s clients consider themselves 'fortunate to have found it' as a trusted adviser on M&A, governance and finance matters. The 'excellent boutique' is made up of former Van Doorne founding partners; Guus Kemperink is 'a seasoned and convincing corporate counsel' and Rob Wouters is 'a very sharp, focused lawyer who remains calm when the stakes are high'. The 'pragmatic' Sander Maarschalkerweerd is also highly recommended. The team acts for domestic and international clients on the full range of complex corporates mandates.
Guus Kemperink; Sander Maarschalkerweerd; Rob Wouters
‘Rob Wouters is a very sharp, focused lawyer. He remains calm when the stakes are high. He has a sharp eye for potential risks and is focused on addressing them. He navigated our client through a very complex process. I was very impressed and I now refer clients that my firm cannot serve due to conflicts of interest or for other reasons.’
‘They are an excellent boutique firm, well positioned for corporate work, or a role where they advise particular stakeholders (such as supervisory boards) in complex processes such as takeovers.’
‘Guus Kemperink also has a good reputation in the Dutch market. Very extensive experience and proactive attitude. Clear, no-nonsense, practical advice.’
‘Rob Wouters is very easy to approach which is important for an in-house lawyer when some times the questions may not be well formulated, but rather you need help quickly in a matter where you do not necessarily have all the facts available. Rob is genuinely interested in our business and therefore able to take practical approach.’
‘The quality of the service was very high. This includes the after care. The deliverables were very pragmatic and could be used one-on-one in house.’
‘Wouters is excellent in working together as a team with our internal lawyer and the business. Good communication and transparency. I strongly recommend Wouters and the firm.’
‘Guus Kemperink (founding partner) is a very experienced lawyer with unique expertise, notably in tailored bids/M&A – Also fluent in French – Very faithful relationships with clients / lawyers.’
‘We engaged KMW for a highly strategic case involving complex governance questions for a multi-national public company. We have been working with them for nearly a year and have found them to be outstanding. They are able to turn around answers to complex, time-sensitive questions in a timely fashion. Their work is thorough and well communicated. I have confidence that we are being well advised, and I count us fortunate to have found them.’
‘I have dealt principally with two partners: Guus Kemperink and Rob Wouters. I appreciate their personal styles which I would characterise as quiet competence (very Dutch!) They are domain experts who listen well and consistently add value. They would certainly be the first firm to whom I referred a colleague in need of Dutch governance expertise.’
‘High level governance advice from a seasoned lawyer – Guus Kemperink – combined with hands-on corporate and corporate litigation input from his two younger partners.’
‘Guus Kemperkink is a seasoned and convincing corporate counsel. In particular Boards and Supervisory Boards benefit from the mild but clear advice he gives them in stressful situations. We were impressed with his decisiveness.’
‘Guus Kemperink is a seasoned and determined lawyer and where necessary, a fighter.’
‘Sander Maarschalkerweerd is also experienced and calm in difficult times, responsive and available, committed, and solution orientated.’
‘Sander Maarschalkerweerd: young, eager and upcoming, Very pragmatic, very responsive. They are a small firm, so the service is more personalised than a large corporate.’
‘Rob Wouters goes the extra mile for his clients. They have a well defined practice area based upon ample experience and a solid track record gained at an outstanding major law firm.’
Teslin Capital Management
Stichting Continuïteit Ahold Delhaize
(Management of) BNP Paribas OBAM NV
United Soft Drinks
- Advised SkyTeam on the restructuring of its entire Alliance structure and Alliance documentation.
- Advised the management of BNP Paribas OBAM NV on a management buy-out, whereby the management of funds of BNP Paribas OBAM NV will become independent from BNP Paribas Asset Management.
- Advised Teslin Capital Management on the composition and restructuring of the supervisory board of Accell Group.
Orange Clover Law
The 'high-quality team' at Orange Clover Law assists its clients with public and private corporate and M&A transactions and advisory matters. Its clients include financial institutions and investment managers in the energy, IT, chemicals and manufacturing industries. The team also has an extensive referral network of international European and US firms. Pien van Veersen and group head Machiel Galjaart are notable senior advisers.
‘High quality team, well-staffed on a file, availability around the clock, very good know-how of corporate law and market practice.’
Gilde Buy Out Partners
Capital A Investment Partners
Carlyle Asia Partners
HPE Growth Capital
Avedon Capital Partners
Andlinger & Company
Crown Van Gelder
De Lage Landen
Global University Systems
Royal Ten Cate
Senator Investment Group
Tennor (previously Sapinda)
Pemberton Asset Management
Group 1 Automotive
Waterland Private Equity
- Advised Triton on the acquisition of Sunweb Group, a leading European online tour and travel operator.
- Advised PAI Partners, through its portfolio company Stella Group, on the acquisition of the shutters and awnings business of CRH.
- Advised Gilde Buy Out Partners on the acquisition of Gundlach Automotive Corporation, the tyre division of Pon Holdings, which operates from Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Hungary, Slovakia and Sweden.
At Osborne Clarke, Cristine Brinkman heads up the corporate and M&A group and Jeroen Lub leads the commercial work. The practice has a track record in handling private equity, venture capital and growth capital deals and mid-market buyouts. It is especially active in the digital business arena and acts for technology companies; the group also assists clients in the life sciences, healthcare and financial services sectors.
Cristine Brinkman; Jeroen Lub
‘They are client focused and a very direct and hands on firm which I really appreciate. They deliver always on time with a high quality level and always with a personal approach.’
ABN AMRO Energy
Wireless Logic Group
Cairn Real Estate
Gilde Healthcare Partners
- Advised Breath and existing shareholders GIMV, Sofinnova Partners, Gilde Healthcare and the founders on the sale of Breath Therapeutics to Zambon.
- Advised CarNext.com, a Dutch digital marketplace for used cars, on its acquisition of AutoManager, a technology company that has developed a propriety digital vehicle management platform.
- Assisted Infosys with its €127.5m acquisition of 75% of the shares in Stater from ABN AMRO Bank.
‘A very “Dutch” firm with a beautiful history and strongly embedded in the Netherlands. No nonsense quality for an affordable price, reliable quotes, very available and cooperative.’
‘Excellent M&A practice. The internal communication within Pels Rijcken is remarkably good with a very positive effect on our negotiating position.’
‘Pels Rijcken remains very good in the lead and ensures high-quality reporting.’
‘Pels Rijcken is often several steps ahead of the negotiation. The personal and at the same time very professional approach was of great value to my organization.’
‘A compact team with available specialities. High quality, dedicated and client focused. This practice has in depth deal expertise and mobilizes relevant transaction knowledge, if and when appropriate, eg in the field of anti competition law. Luc Defaix and his team excel in not only raising the topics but yet providing practical solutions at the same time.’
Vestius is praised for its handling of mid-market deals, which it combines with 'great communication' and a practical approach. Its client base includes venture capital and private equity firms, sustainable energy companies, e-businesses and transport and logistics companies. Team co-head Helger Kamerman is 'calm under pressure and a good negotiator' and fellow co-head and 'trusted adviser' Daan Van Noord provides a wealth of experience. Henk Brat's expertise includes buy-outs, mergers and acquisitions, stock and asset transactions and restructurings.
Helger Kamerman; Daan Van Noord
‘Key strengths are great communication, good personal contact and easy to communicate with, always reachable when needed, high quality of the legal products to be delivered and always on time.’
‘My experience is that the team has a practical approach, when necessary creative and not thinking in problems but in solutions. Always reacting quickly and offering more than asked for.’
‘Vestius is a boutique that offers good quality advice at very competitive rates. I do recommend them for mid market work in M&A, employment and litigation.’
‘Very practical attitude, getting the deal done, not overly focused on creating yet another red-line version. Great service and extended knowledge. To the point advice.’
‘Niche, small market M&A and employment law. The agreements they made for me were very clever and useful. My business made a profit because of it.’
‘They can balance between a hard stance where needed whilst maintaining constructive dialogue. Pragmatic and business minded.’
‘Helger Kamerman is very knowledgeable, calm under pressure and a good negotiator.’
‘Daan van Noord provides interesting perspectives on the legal and financial aspects of transactions.’
‘At Vestius, I worked mostly with Daan van Noord. I have complete trust in Daan and he has helped me with all companies that I founded. I value his personal contact, his willingness to go the extra mile for our business, his ability to think along and his thoroughness.’
‘Both Helger Kamerman and Pieter Verloop have proven themselves exceptionally qualified in managing our interests by knowing exactly what we (should) want or (should) not want in certain stages of the negotiations of the sale of our company. More than once this has opened our eyes and put us back to reality at the moments this was needed.’
‘Helger Kamerman stands out as a highly dedicated and resourceful lawyer.’
V-Ventures / Vereniging Veronica
The Rent Company
- Advised the shareholder of Qualizorg on the sale of the entire share capital to CompuGroup Medical.
- Advised the shareholders of Semilo on the sale and transfer of all shares of Semilo to Azerion Holding.
- Acted for Meewind on the buy-out of all three of its co-shareholders in the capital of Groen Gas Almere, a biogas power plant.
Boels Zanders Advocaten has offices in Venlo, Maastricht and Eindhoven alongside a strong presence in the south of the Netherlands; one client commented that 'not being in Amsterdam it knows it has something to prove. The team is therefore hungry, inventive and better value than its bigger competitors in the financial capital'. The group combines its corporate offering with cross-practice advice on competition, environment, IP and real estate matters; it also handles acquisitions, shareholder relations and joint ventures in the small to mid-cap range as well as pan-European transactions. Based in Maastricht, the 'outstanding' Luuk Hendriks and managing partner Jeroen Oehlen head up the team, and Janou Briaire is also a noted member of the group.
Luuk Hendriks; Jeroen Oehlen
‘Not being in Amsterdam they know they have something to prove. They are therefore hungry, inventive and better value than their bigger competitors in the financial capital. They have deep experience of a wide variety of sectors and transactions. They assemble great teams to handle the larger transactions.’
‘Luuk Hendriks and Jeroen Oehlen are outstanding. They are both experienced, inventive and work relentlessly in their clients interests.’
‘The team is very approachable. Due to the different expertise on many fields very good advice is given per subject. Speed of working is good. Strong partner in leading our company through many legal subjects.’
‘Jeroen Oehlen has a very good understanding of our business and needs, and Milou Segers is a good back up. Jeroen is specifically a very good partner when it comes to acquisitions and contracts for partnerships. Adding a lot of expertise and is open and fair in giving comments to protect us from failures. Also good self starting follow up on subjects.’
‘High quality against fair prices. Total overview, general market knowledge, no mistakes and an eye for details.’
‘Team players, working together with client and advisors, not aiming to shine. Long term relationship -value based pricing, e.g. pricing always related to subject at hand.’
‘Janou Briaire is an excellent deal negotiator with excellent communication skills.’
A. Hak Products & Services
Fleuren & Nooijen
FLM Foodingredients Holding
Monitor Capital Partners
Noble Environmental Technologies Europe
NRC Media Holding
NV Limburgs Instituut voorOntwikkeling (LIOF)years No
Wim Bosman Group
PharmaCell (renamed LonzaNetherlands)
- Acting on a multi-party investment in the life sciences sector.
- Advising on asset transfers in the food sector.
- Handling the sale of a shareholding in a Chinese company to a Dutch buyer in the technology space.
Bart Bendel, Rogier Dahmen and Mark Eising are the Utrecht-based senior advisers in the team at BOLT Advocaten. The group assists clients with mergers, acquisitions, share sales and management buy-ins as well as acquisition finance matters and restructurings; its work also involves private equity interests.
Bart Bendel; Rogier Dahmen; Mark Eising
‘Great boutique law firm. All experienced lawyers with years in practice. Real specialisation. Up to date. The lawyers are directly involved, always. No difficult company hierarchy. Good knowledge and pleasant team to work with.’
‘The team is very experienced in mergers and acquisitions. So the communication is very smooth and because of that also cost effective.’
‘We have worked with Rogier Dahmen. He is very professional and to the point. We have made upfront good agreements about the process and the costs we projected. Rogier is a very pleasant person in the negotiations. He is searching for the points where an agreement is with the other party and not enlarging the differences and problems. In this way he has helped us to finalize the process to everybody’s satisfaction.’
Van Duuren Logistics
- Assisted Witteman Beheer and Woxial with the sale of the majority of the shareholding by the two founder shareholders in F&I Witteman to Ecclesia Holdings.
- Acting for Aquative and its founder/shareholder Marcel Muller on a 20% senior management buy-in by two key managers.
- Acting for Kingfisher and its private equity investor Vortex Capital Partners on mezzanine acquisition financing provided by private debt investor Dexteritas.
Arnhem-based Dirkzwager legal & tax fields a 'no-nonsense, hands-on team', which is led by Claudia van der Most. The group has expertise in handling mergers, acquisitions and private equity transactions combined with a significant tax offering. It counts Dutch and international companies on its client roster and has a well-established international referral network.
Claudia van der Most
‘Hands on, no nonsense, and looks for practical solutions.’
‘Broad knowledge of all the disciplines, very committed towards the client. So many legal specialisations and experts under one roof. So far as I know criminal law is the only legal specialisation they do not facilitate. Good explanation of why actions were taken and little overkill on details.’
‘Claudia van der Most’s knowledge as well as client focus plus her determination to solve issues is great. With her creativity, keeping it simple and practicality plus the mentality to solve problems or issues are most often quickly solved.’
Shareholders of W.A. SandersColdenhove Holding B.V.
Shareholders ofHeilbronParticipaties N.V.
Rupro Beheer B.V.
Aelbers Groep B.V. and Flex Factory B.V.
Koninklijke Smals N.V.
B&C International B.V.
ATUS Nederland B.V.
- Advised Cito on the sale of the shares in Oefenweb.nl.
- Advised TBRE Industry, the selling shareholder, on its sale of shares in Bribus Holding to Nobia Sverige (a Swedish listed company).