A veteran firm in the Mexican TMT space, Acedo, Santamarina, S.C is known for its mastery of regulatory matters, particularly regarding the obtaining of licences and permits, and also boasts outstanding expertise in infrastructure consultancy for the establishment of international and high-capacity networks. The practice is led by founding partner Andrés Acedo, a prominent expert in the area with over 25 years’ experience advising on telecommunications, corporate, contractual and financial law, and who has additional knowledge and expertise in insolvency, restructurings and M&A. Enrique López Mendez, who was promoted to the partnership in December 2021, brings solid expertise in regulatory compliance matters to the table; while senior associate José Luis Mejía specialises in telecommunications, media and technology, e-commerce, IP and data privacy, and corporate and administrative law. Since publication, Mejía has been promoted to the partnership - effective as of January 2023.
TMT in Mexico
Acedo, Santamarina, S.C
Intelsat Inflight Mexco
PanAmSat de Mexico
China Unicom (Americas) Operations
Servicios Administrativos Peñoles
- Advising Bose from a regulatory standpoint regarding its products’ compliance with Mexican regulations such as Mexican Official Norms, Federal Consumer Protection Law, Standard-Type Approvals, Homologation of Products and other regulatory matters.
- Advised Radiotrans on the negotiation of certain communication services agreements, as well as on several regulatory matters including data privacy, telecommunications and homologation.
- Advised Intelsat on the obtaining of the approval of the Federal Institute of Telecommunications to indirectly transfer all shares of Intelsat Inflight México due to a corporate restructure derived from a Chapter 11 procedure filed in the US.
Bello, Gallardo, Bonequi y García, S.C.
The level of ‘commitment, professionalism and above all knowledge and legal technique’ of Bello, Gallardo, Bonequi y García, S.C.‘s long-standing TMT practice is ‘world–class’. Over 20 years of activity in this field attest to the team’s in-depth knowledge of the industry, and make it the firm of choice for clients such as SpaceX/Starlink to advise the company on the legal route-map to become an internet service provider in Mexico. Founding partner Carlos Bello, who earns praise from both clients and peers for his expert knowledge on all areas of telecommunication, media and technology matters, and who -more recently- has been increasingly active in relation to sports and entertainment law, including e-sports, heads-up the group. Other key lawyers dedicated to this practice include Hector Guzman, a recognised data protection specialist; Carlos Diaz, who leads the team’s M&A expertise regarding the TMT sector; along with Rolando Guevara (TMT, sports and entertainment), and the head of IP Jonathan Rangel. However, senior associates Bernardo Martínez and Valery Tapia moved in house at Honeywell and Airbnb in February 2021 and July 2022, respectively.
Carlos Bello; Hector Guzman; Rolando Guevara; Carlos Diaz; Jonathan Rangel
‘Unquestionably, the performance and attention of the lawyers is on par or better than many internationally renowned firms. The level of commitment, professionalism and above all knowledge and legal technique is world-class.’
‘Not only on a professional level are they excellent with the best disposition and knowledge of their subject and others. The interaction is easy and pleasant. Always empathetic with the needs of their client, but above all with the needs of their client’s client, which is very important.’
‘The BGBG team is excellent, and stands out for its deep knowledge in various and necessary areas of our business, its agility, its excellent communication, and how it has earned our absolute trust.’
‘Carlos Bello leads the relationship with our company. Their qualities are above all the knowledge they have in their areas, not only in the legal area but also in the market and their network. They also count their agility, their cordiality, and the use of our resources.’
‘I would highlight the disposition that Hector Guzmán has shown for the project that we are developing.’
‘Carlos Bello and stands out.’
‘BGBG lawyers should feel proud to belong to a great team of excellent legal professionals. Each of the BGBG lawyers has a high level of specialization in their field. The skills and knowledge of the BGBG team sets them apart from any other firm.’
‘The BGBG team is made up of highly trained professionals; their level of service is excellent, they have a deep knowledge of the industry. Carlos Díaz is an excellent lawyer, in constant training, whose knowledge has served to create the legal framework of our company. We fully trust and value his expertise. Without a doubt, having BGBG and Carlos as partners has been one of the best decisions the company has made.’
Orange Business Services
International Telecommunications Union
Terra Networks Mexico
Volkswagen Financial Services
- Advised SpaceX/Starlink in order for them to provide a two-way satellite-based internet service in Mexico.
- Advising Mercado Libre in relation to its logistic services for the e-commerce platform as well as advice on data protection and privacy matters.
- Advised Speedcast on the regulatory proceedings in Mexico related to Centerbridge’s $500m equity investment.
Federico Hernández Arroyo, an experienced partner with over 20 years directly involved in the telecommunications sector, including an early stage working with the former telecom regulator, helms the Mexican TMT practice at full-service firm Hogan Lovells. The group assists clients with the regulatory framework in Mexico applicable to all kind of telecommunications (fixed, satellite and mobile) and broadcasting services. It also shows prowess supporting clients across different sectors on compliance with Mexico's privacy regulation and other cybersecurity matters, and offers additional corporate, transactional, antitrust, and litigation assistance to its TMT client-roster with a sector-specific and commercial perspective. Senior associate Ana Paula Rumualdo, who heads the digital technologies practice, offers additional key expertise in emerging technologies, data protection, privacy and other data management issues.
Federico Hernández Arroyo
- Representing Lumen Technologies on all its regulatory compliancematters before the Federal Telecommunications Institute, Ministry of Communications and Transportation and Ministry of Environment.
- Representing Google before the telecom regulator in order to allow the use of Soli technology (interactive motion sensor used in the Pixel 4 mobile telephone) in Mexico.
- Advising American Tower regarding the compliance of the obligations related with the concession.
Ruíz Moreno y Asociados
Distinguishing itself due to its status as a TMT powerhouse, well-reputed boutique Ruíz Moreno y Asociados represents clients across a broad array of matters ranging from licensing, spectrum access and interconnection projects through to disputes and the deployment or acquisition of fibre optics networks. For some clients, the practice sits among the ‘leaders in the sector’, while others praise the group's ‘in-depth knowledge of telecommunications regulation’, which allows it to ‘offer alternatives that not just any firm or lawyer can offer’. Founding partner Ivan Ruiz brings to bear his extensive experience in the TMT domain, accumulated over the course of his career in positions such as public officer of the former Mexican Federal Telecommunications Commission, general counsel for concessionaires and resellers of telecommunications services, and as a member of COFETEL’s Consultation Council. Senior associates Eli Manuel Ramírez, who covers areas including regulation, compliance, privacy, antitrust and commercial law in general; and Erika Estrever, a former counsel at Televisa, are additional names to note.
‘The firm assists us with procedures before the authorities of the telecommunications sector. It is necessary to know the procedures before the authorities, knowledge that the firm itself has.’
‘Ivan Ruiz and Eli Manuel Ramírez offer knowledge of the regulations, punctual follow up of the proceedings and speed.’
‘They have a punctual control of the procedures that must be carried out periodically. They know before whom and when they must be carried out, and follow up on them until they are satisfactorily concluded within the optimum timeframe for our company.’
‘Iván Ruiz is a lawyer with around twenty years of experience in telecommunications and broadcasting matters, with full knowledge of the applicable regulations.’
‘Eli Manuel Ramírez, is a lawyer with the capacity to deal with any problem that may arise in the procedures he supports us with, doing so efficiently and in a timely manner.’
‘The TMT team is one of the leaders in the sector. There are few firms in Mexico that can say they have a complete practice in TMT matters, because you have to know the regulations, the technical side, and be able to draw up specialised contracts, and this firm has those elements.’
‘I have personally worked with Iván Ruiz and Eli Manuel Ramírez, both of whom have an in-depth knowledge of telecommunications regulation and, in addition, they also have a business sense that allows them to help clients so that matters can be resolved favourably.’
‘Their knowledge of the regulation allows them to offer alternatives that not just any firm or lawyer can offer.’
- Advised Transtelco on the regulatory and anti-trust filings for the acquisition of its competitor, Maxcom Telecomunicaciones.
- Represented Viasat on the regulatory filing for the acquisition of the Mexican subsidiary of Rignet.
- Represented Pagando Fintech on its filing before Mexico’s Securities and Banking Commission in order to obtain a conditional fintech authorisation.
Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C.
Privacy and cybersecurity specialist Carlos Vela-Treviño steers Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C.'s TMT industry group in Mexico, which has earned a strong reputation for its regulatory expertise and is frequently sought out by clients for assistance with their entry into the country. The practice group's workload encompasses privacy and data protection, telecoms, IT sourcing, transactions, litigation and advisory. Additionally, the group also plays an active role in the firm's regional and global deals as required. Recent work highlights include advising Nintendo regarding e-commerce and e-payment matters, consumer protection, copyright, privacy and regulatory issues in connection with the implementation in LatAm of Nintendo's online store, Switch. Carlos Dávila, a partner of the firm's North America IP practice group; and Guadalajara-based senior associate, Daniel Villanueva, who has a focus on data security and TMT, provide key additional support to the team.
Nintendo of America
ByteDance and TikTok
- Advised Group Orlegi, owner of the Atlas de Guadalajara and Santos de Torreon football clubs, on the issuance of Fan Tokens, a cryptocurrency that will allow soccer fans to contribute to certain of their club’s decisions.
- Assisting DocuSign on its expansion into Mexican market.
- Advised Nintendo on a range of compliance and business related issues, including consumer protection, payment processing, videogames regulation, child protection, and privacy matters for its LatAm operations.
Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez, S.C.
Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez, S.C.‘s powerful transactional DNA is also reflected in its TMT practice, which has an impressive track record in this sense, although the team also offers strong regulatory mandates capabilities; all of which translates into a more than capable practice in this sector, that acts for clients such as Amazon, AT&T, Audi, Avaya, Blackstone, DAZN, Equinix and Facebook. The practice is co-led by antitrust and competition expert Luis Gerardo García; senior partner Jean Michel Enríquez, who is a well known corporate/finance all-rounder; and Jorge Kargl, who was promoted to partner in January 2022, and regularly assists clients in the telecom, broadcasting, satellite, entertainment, automotive, e-commerce and OTT industries regarding Mexican law, regulations and authorisations. IP partner Begoña Cancino left the practice in July 2021.
Luis Gerardo García; Jean Michel Enríquez; Jorge Kargl
‘Technically flawless, business oriented and good communication with clients.’
‘Responsiveness and good knowledge of the industry. Advice is concrete and business oriented.’
Atos IT Solutions and Services
Canadian Pacific Railway
Live Nation Entertainment
Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
- Assisting Stonepeak with the Mexican aspects of its acquisition of the Latin American business of Lumen Technologies.
- Assisting Equinix with obtaining the required telecommunications authorisations to act as a reseller of telecommunications services in Mexico
- Assisting Volkswagen with analysis of, and compliance with, several technical provisions issued by the Federal Institute of Telecommunications and product standards (NOMs) issued by the Ministry of Economy related to the import of certain radio equipment.
DLA Piper Mexico
Eduardo Gallastegui steers the practice at DLA Piper Mexico, which was notably reinforced in July 2021 with the arrival of counsel Gabriel Contreras Saldívar, who joined from the Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones, the industry’s regulatory body; and then again in January 2022, when Antonio Cárdenas joined from White & Case S.C., bringing his expertise in TMT regulatory matters to the practice.
Galicia Abogados S.C.
Full-service Mexican powerhouse, Galicia Abogados S.C., continues to gain momentum in the TMT sphere, thanks to is favourable track record assisting clients keep up to date with IFT regulatory developments and investigations, as well as guiding them on transactional matters. As regards the telecommunications segment, the practice is led by Carlos Chávez, who also handles media mandates; on the technology front, in turn, it is Ricardo García who coordinates the practice’s work regarding the fintech, regulatory, e-commerce, M&A, tax, private equity and health & life sciences areas. The pair can call on additional partner level support from Arturo Perdomo (particularly fintech matters) and Humberto Pérez Rocha (particularly tecnology and media); while at senior associate level, Irma Ross co-heads the IP & data privacy area of the firm.
Carlos Chávez; Ricardo Garcia; Arturo Perdomo; Humberto Perez-Rocha
BestDay Travel Group
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology
Solenis Technologies Mexico
Mexican Health Foundation (FUNSALUD)
AT&T Telecom Holdings
AT&T Comunicaciones Digitales
- Advised Univision regarding its merger with Grupo Televisa.
- Advising SoftBank, as an investor, regarding the merger between Grupo Televisa with Univision Communications.
- Advised Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology, in connection with its $65m acquisition of a participation on Sistemas y Servicios de Comunicación (Syscom).
Gonzalez Calvillo offers expert advise in the TMT field, boasting deep knowledge and expertise across the telecom spectrum while delivering comprehensive analysis regarding all related regulatory aspects, and is renowned for its solid skills representing clients before administrative and jurisdictional bodies in litigation procedures. The practice, which garners praise for its ‘extensive experience in telecommunications regulation’, is led by Luis Mancera de Arrigunaga, who handles regulatory matters as well as specialising in administrative litigation, constitutional relief proceedings, telecoms disputes and contentious constitutional procedures. He works side-by-side with a strong second line of counsels comprised of Juan Carlos Peraza, a former director of regulation and litigation at Televisa; Lucia Fernández González; and the recently promoted Rafael Fuentes.
Luis Mancera de Arrigunaga
‘Gonzalez Calvillo has a large team of attorneys who cover various matters. In this way, the advice can be complemented by considering various perspectives.’
‘González Calvillo has lawyers with extensive experience in telecommunications regulation as well as economic competition in telecommunications markets.’
TC Travel Connected
Yonder Media Mobile México
- Represented Telefónica in an amparo proceeding filed against articles 244 and 244-A of the Federal Duties Law (Ley Federal de Derechos).
- Representing TC Travel Connected regarding compliance with the regulatory obligations derived from its authorisation to resell mobile internet services.
- Advised AcunMedya (a Turkish TV broadcasting company) on its day-to-day transactions from corporate and commercial perspectives.
Holland & Knight
Counting prestigious names such as Telefonica and Eutelsat among its clients, Holland & Knight LLP houses a ‘very prepared, efficient and knowledgeable team in the telecommunications industry that provides accurate and professional advice’. A talented partner-duo made up of managing partner Luis Rubio, who excels in both contentious and regulatory mandates; and Octavio Lecona, a former official at the Mexican telecommunications regulator, co-head the department, which advises on transactions, disputes, antitrust and regulatory matters; and covers the full range of the TMT sector – including telecommunications, satellites, media, wireless services, quadruple play, e-commerce, and cloud services and communications. The firm's merger with Thompson & Knight LLP, completed in August 2021, has expanded it's foothold in the Mexican market, including in the TMT area.
Luis Rubio; Octavio Lecona
‘It is a very prepared, efficient and knowledgeable team within the telecommunications industry that provides accurate and professional advice for the success of the businesses in which we have requested its intervention.’
‘They can communicate clearly and kindly. Octavio Lecona has worked with us for many years.’
‘What I appreciate about H&K and what makes it positively different is its empathy to understand the problems that one as a client shares. The answers and recommendations always come in a complete context and therefore provide great value. This is specially noticeable with Octavio Lecona.’
‘The firm has very high-level professionals who know the client’s business and provide comprehensive advice.’
‘I would highlight the experience of its lawyers and the quality of its deliverables. Always correct.’
- Represented Telefonica Mexico in a deal with AT&T Mexico in connection with the leasing of radio spectrum holdings in the 800 MHz frequency band.
- Represented Eutelsat in an ICSID investment arbitration proceeding against the Mexican government related to the disproportionate satellite capacity lien imposed on Eutelsat’s satellite constellation occupying geostationary orbits assigned by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) to Mexico.
Nader, Hayaux y Goebel, SC
The ‘very responsive and knowledgeable’ TMT practice at Nader, Hayaux y Goebel, SC is known for handling corporate and finance transactions in the telecoms and broadcasting sectors, as well as in the satellite industry, with ongoing clients such as Eutelsat (Satélites Mexicanos), who instructs the group regarding corporate, regulatory and transactional matters. Regulatory mandates such as securing authorisations from the Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones (Ifetel), are also part of the practice group’s offering. Julián Garza, who enjoys a solid reputation for his work in variety of corporate, financial and regulatory matters in the sector, and senior partner Michel Nader, co-lead the practice. Fellow partner Gunter Schwandt is also active in the sector, primarily as regards corporate and finance matters, but also on the regulatory front, such as his recent advice to Grupo Werthein on its acquisition of digital entertainment services company Vrio Operations from AT&T.
Michell Nader; Julián Garza
‘They are very responsive and knowledgeable and able to jump into a foreign transaction.’
‘I have worked with Michell Nader on several matters. Michell is very knowledgeable and knows how to find the right answer. Also very responsive on short notice.’
Telefónica Movistar México
Inter-American Investment Corporation
- Advised Eutelsat on corporate reorganisation affairs and capitalisation issues, as well as licensing matters associated therewith.
- Advised Total Play regarding its successful placement of $600m in the senior notes (due 2028) on the international markets.
- Advised Grupo Werthein in connection with Mexican legal and regulatory matters regarding the acquisition of Vrio Operations from AT&T.
Santamarina y Steta
Santamarina y Steta‘s TMT practice’s good capabilities stem from the expertise of its skilled leading duo, composed of Jorge León-Orantes, whose practice focuses on M&A transactions, financing and TMT, and who is particularly experienced automotive, technological and entertainment sectors; and counsel Paola Morales, who specialises in telecommunications, media and technology, satellite-related matters, e-commerce, privacy & data protection. Regarding the latter two areas of work, Morales is well-versed in reviewing, negotiating and preparing terms and conditions for electronic commerce for national and international clients with operations in Mexico, including their e-commerce platforms and privacy notices. Of late, the group has been approached by Tesla on this matter. Since publication, Morales has been promoted to the partnership - effective as of 2023.
Jorge León Orantes; Paola Morales
Advance Intelligence Group
New Balance Athletics
Universal Music Group
- Assisted AIG, as local legal counsel for Mexico, regarding the best manner in which to structure its operations in Mexico, particularly with respect to the applicable legal framework for data protection matters and financial regulation applicable to e-KYC products and its potential clients in Mexico.
- Prepared, structured and drafted the e-commerce terms and conditions and the privacy notice for Tesla’s e-commerce platform in Mexico.
- Assisted Mondelēz with the auditing, structuring and restructuring all of its data privacy practices.
White & Case S.C.
The six-strong practice at White & Case S.C. is led by Ismael Reyes Retana Tello, a recognised specialist in telecoms regulation and administrative litigation in Mexico. Reyes and his team have played an active role in a wide range of significant cases in the telecoms industry, regularly working for clients such as Telefonica or Grupo Televisa and leading on their litigious and regulatory mandates, including regulatory disputes. The group is also skilled at handling telecoms-related financings and transactions. Other key practitioners include skilled litigator Fernando García; and associate Yuriria Galicia. However, partner Antonio Cárdenas joined DLA Piper Mexico in January 2022.
Cable y Comunicación de Campeche
- Advising Virgin Mobile and Weex on the amendment to the Federal Telecommunication and Broadcasting Act by means of which a registry with the personal and biometric data of the owners and users of mobile numbers is created.
- Advising Pegaso regarding several regulatory and contentious proceedings before the Federal Telecommunications Institute and Federal Courts.
- Advising Operbes in a constitutional appeal against the award granted by Mexico’s Social Security Institute to another telecommunications carrier.
Chevez Ruiz Zamarripa
Chevez Ruiz Zamarripa‘s telecoms team is made up of practitioners who are ‘well-versed, prepared to tackle any challenge, and overall great people to work with’. The group is led by Valentín Ibarra, whose practice is mainly concentrated on consulting and litigation on technology, fintech and tax matters, with particular specialization in the digital economy sector, be it for domestic or international clients. Recent highlights include analysis, advisory, implementation and legal registry of numerous technology companies in México, such as global search engines, digital platforms, entities that operate shared-economy business models, software and hardware companies, and telecom and media companies, among others. Ana Sofía Ríos and director Gloria Niembro are other names to note.
‘They are well-versed, prepared to tackle any challenge, and overall great people to work with. They are responsive, and “have your back” in emergency situations.’
‘I can attest of Gloria Niembro and Ana Sofia Rios´s hard work and dedication to their clients. I really valued their expertise and also their practical approach to solving issues. I enjoy working with law firms that push the limit and truly guide clients to find the most creative solutions to any matter.’
‘Knowledge of the subject matter is evident and gives confidence in decision making.’
‘Extremely friendly, attentive, and with patience to understand the problems.’
Alianza por el valor estratégico de las marcas
- Advised Bitrus on the design and creation of the model of its cryptocurrency exchange.
- Advised Klu on the design of its operating technology model and the incorporation of its business entity, supporting it during the authorisation process before the National Banking and Securities Commission.
- Participated in the lobbying process carried out before the Mexican Ministry of Finance in order to improve the financial technology regulatory framework.
Dentons López Velarde
Dentons López Velarde houses a small but robust Mexican TMT practice, which has been particularly active, of late, with the launch and operation of technology businesses in the region, from specialised e-commerce and social media platforms to matters concerning crypto-currency regulations, virtual worlds and self-driving cars. Departmental head Sergio Legorreta, who joined from Baker Mckenzie in January 2020, is a regular advisor to internet, e-commerce, social media, peer to peer / sharing platforms, streaming platforms and major hardware and software companies. He also regularly advices telecommunication service providers, including mobile operators, satellite providers and large users of technology. Principal support comes from counsel Laura Estrada Rodríguez (IP; technology; media entertainment and sport; privacy and cybersecurity) and senior associate Ximena Calderón (IP and technology). Former managing associate Diego González left in February 2022 to become commercial counsel at TikTok.
Greenberg Traurig, S.C.
Greenberg Traurig, S.C.‘s TMT practice represents clients from all subsectors on their different needs, including M&A, corporate, regulatory and government relations, as well as demonstrating prowess in transactional work, and advising on the regulatory aspects of TMT. Edgar Olvera Jiménez, who has an ‘exceptional knowledge of telecommunications’ and is regarded as an ‘outstanding lawyer and advisor’, heads the practice. A former Undersecretary of Communications for the Mexican Ministry of Communications and Transportation, Olvera has over 20 years’ experience working on matters related to the telecoms sector, infrastructure projects, consumer protection, and administrative law. Associate Maribel Tovar is another name to note.
Edgar Olvera Jiménez
‘Edgar Olvera has an exceptional knowledge of telecommunications, which makes him a true advisor with extensive knowledge of the subject.’
‘Edgar Olvera is an outstanding lawyer and advisor.’
Yonder Media Mobile
Radio y Televisión Mexiquense
MXT Fiber Partners
Phoenix Tower International (PTI)
Landscape Acquisition Company
MXT Capital Partners
- Represented MXT in a financed acquisition of 239 telecommunication towers from Telefonica.