‘A very reliable practice with a lot of experience in the field’, and a true force to be reckoned with when it comes to TMT matters, Bello, Gallardo, Bonequi y García, S.C. houses an expert, 12-strong practice group. Principal figure, Carlos Bello is ‘the best telecommunications lawyer in this country’, according to one client; he focuses on all areas of TMT, recently adding a focus on sports and entertainment law (including e-sports) to his curriculum. Other key practitioners include Hector Guzman, a renowned data protection expert; Rolando Guevara, who directs the sports and entertainment practice; and Carlos J Diaz Sobrino, appointed partner in 2021, who also coordinates the team's M&A expertise regarding the TMT sector and works together with Guzman in the data protection and privacy segment. Additional expertise comes from the head of IP, Jonathan Rangel, and senior associate Bernardo Martínez.
TMT in Mexico
Carlos A. Bello; Hector E. Guzman; Rolando Guevara; Carlos J. Diaz; Jonathan Rangel
‘They are very involved with the company, both strategically and technically. Rolando Guevara Martinez and Carlos A Bello are great professionals and very empathetic.’
‘The team is very responsive and puts in long hours to ensure a great work product. They are also very determined to provide the optimal end result.’
‘Carlos Diaz Sobrino was outstanding. He not only worked hard to ensure our desired outcome but he also coached us through the process so that we could, in turn, explain to our client exactly what was going on in Mexico.’
‘The services and attention they provide is excellent. They are always up to date on the subject matter and we see them as an extension of our legal team. I would highlight their humility and excellent attitude and quality of service.’
‘The deal we have is excellent not only as an external team but also as a good friend, we trust them with all our telecommunications matters.’
‘A very reliable practice with a lot of experience in the field, they provide simple solutions to complex problems.’
‘Carlos Díaz Sobrino is one of those lawyers we like to work with, his input and simple solutions are very useful to us.’
‘Carlos Bello is the best telecommunications lawyer in the country. No one has the contacts in the industry and the in-depth knowledge of the sector as he does.’
Echostar / Hughes
International Telecommunications Union
Orange Business Services
We Are Nations
Continental Towers Corp
Volkswagen Financial Services
- Undertook regulatory and antitrust fillings on behalf of Speedcast, regarding the global corporate restructuring of the company.
- Provided regulatory and legal support to Airbus for the restructuring of its entire licensing scheme in order to become a secure MVNO in Mexico, providing services to government entities.
- Ongoing legal advice to MercadoLibre regarding e-commerce, logistics, compliance, banking and finance and government contract matters.
Acedo, Santamarina, S.C
Acedo, Santamarina, S.C houses a revered four-strong TMT practice, led by partner Andrés Acedo, a genuine telecoms-law veteran whose practice centres on telecommunication and corporate, contractual and financial law, as well as insolvency, restructurings and M&A. Boasting some ‘excellent knowledge of the regulatory laws’, the team is frequently sought out by e-commerce platforms, social networks and institutions, for assistance with matters encompassing permits and licenses, data privacy, and broadcasting rights, among other matters. Completing the team are senior associate José Luis Mejía Estrada, who is highly specialised in telecommunications, media and technology, e-commerce, IP, data privacy, and corporate and administrative law; and Enrique López Mendez who specialises in regulatory compliance matters. Since publication, López Mendez has been raised to the partnership, effective as of December 2021.
Andres Acedo M.
‘They know the regulatory laws in Mexico very well and have been helpful in getting the approvals needed for our company to import our products.’
‘They all have excellent knowledge of the regulatory laws. They have good relationship with local laboratories to provide testing and certification for our products.’
Gogo Air Mexico
China Unicom (Americas) Operations
Servicios Administrativos Peñoles
- Regulatory advice to Facebook regarding telecommunications infrastructure in Mexico and Central America.
- Advised Hertz on several telecommunications contractual and regulatory issues, as well as on certain procedures initiated by the Federal Institute of Telecommunications related to radio-frequency bands.
- Ongoing regulatory advice to Amazon regarding the provision of telecommunications services in México as well as regarding data privacy, consumer protection and e-commerce.
Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C.
Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C.'s Mexican TMT practice focuses on supporting clients across the country regarding information technology, and commercial, communications and privacy law. With noted data privacy and cybersecurity expert Carlos Vela-Treviño at the helm, the team is active across market segments including IT sourcing, transactions, litigation and advisory; privacy and data protection, business outsourcing, media, social media and telecoms. Additional partner-level practice input comes from Carlos Dávila, whose practice has a focus on protection in the digital environment, as well as on privacy issues litigation; and senior associate Daniel Villanueva, who heads the TMT and data security practice at the firm's Guadalajara office. Additionally, as part of the firm's international network, the department is also frequently involved in global and regional TMT matters.
Carlos Vela Treviño
eBay Classifieds Group
Nintendo of America
The Mexican Internet Association
- Advising eBay on issues related to e-commerce, consumer protection, copyright, regulatory matters, media buys and on the design and implementation of strategies for the monetization of the website “Vivanuncios.com”.
- Advising Nintendo of America on e-commerce, consumer protection, copyright and regulatory matters in connection with the implementation in LATAM of its End User License Agreement, Purchase terms and the terms of the “My Nintendo Rewards Program”.
- Assisting NetCracker with the negotiation of a number of technology contracts (licensing, support and SLA) with carriers in Mexico, Central America, Uruguay, Ecuador and Spain.
Demonstrating impressive capabilities on regulatory telecommunications matters, as well as on the transactional front, Hogan Lovells is a secure choice for the handling of media, technology and data privacy issues. Federico Hernández Arroyo, who has a direct and longstanding engagement with the telecommunications sector (including time as head of regulatory affairs at the -then- Comisión Federal de Telecomunicaciones), leads the department. He is closely supported by senior associate Ana Paula Rumualdo, who provides additional expertise regarding cyberlaw, legal AI, privacy and data protection. Recent matters include day-to-day regulatory advice regarding compliance with spectrum concessions and authorisations, telecoms regulatory advice, software licensing agreements, cloud and online-services matters, and the MVNO market.
Century Link (now Lumen Technologies)
- Assisting Lumen Technologies -formerly Century Link- with the expansion of its network in Mexico along with its day-to-day legal and regulatory needs (telecom, contractual, privacy, corporate, tax, and others).
- Advising Columbus Networks Mexico on compliance with the obligations related to aconcession, including security and justice matters fulfilment and the legal interception of communications.
- Advising Omnispace Mexico on compliance with the obligations related to a recently won concession contract (granted via a bid process) including an interference claim submitted before the regulator.
Santamarina y Steta fields a ‘professional, responsive, and kind’ practice group -five-lawyers strong- is renowned for its dexterity handling transactional and regulatory TMT-related work, as well as its capability on compliance issues, administrative matters and representation. Corporate specialist Jorge León-Orantes, whose practice encompasses telecoms, broadcasting, IT, e-commerce, data protection and privacy, along with M&A, co-leads the department together with fellow senior partner César Cruz (in Monterrey), who covers all aspects of data privacy and protection mandates. Mexico City-based Paola Morales, who was promoted to counsel in January 2021, and senior associate Diego Rubén Acosta in Monterrey, provide key support with additional expertise on telecoms, IT, e-commerce, data protection and privacy, along with corporate, M&A and foreign investment knowledge.
Jorge León Orantes; César Cruz
‘Santamarina is always willing to learn about cutting edge technologies and legal issues to advise our technology business. They are professional, responsive, and kind.’
‘Paola Morales always finds time and interest for our questions, and provides thoughtful advice. Associate Beatriz Aleman cares about our business and our partnerships, and is always willing to help on day to day basis. Associate Belen Gomez learned quickly about our new business and new industry, and provides value with her initiative and business focused advice.’
‘Santamarina has helped us by providing an associate on a dedicated basis to assist us with day to day legal issues. This has been a game changer for us as an international company headquartered outside of Latin America.’
Walmart de México
ACH Foods México (a subsidiary of Associated British Foods)
Schaeffler Monitoring Services
- Assisted Walmart de México with the completion of all processes required to obtain its authorisation as a reseller of telecommunications services from the regulator.
- Assisted Schaeffler Monitoring Services with the regulatory analysis required for the implementation of a new Industry 4.0 / IoT product based on machine-to-machine communication in several jurisdictions, including Mexico.
- Assisting Icom America with the implementation of a business model (from transactional and regulatory standpoints) in order to be able to resell the intended services and equipment in Mexico.
Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez, S.C. is frequently deemed the best option when it comes to complex and high-profile transactions in the TMT sphere, or with significant TMT aspects, as well as for matters on the concomitant regulatory and administrative side, along with data protection, disputes and representation before the regulators. The firm houses an ‘excellent, client friendly and very efficient’ practice group comprising noted experts who -not infrequently- become ‘strategic partners in TMT’, including: Luis Gerardo García, who specialises in TMT, antitrust and competition; IP specialist Begoña Cancino; corporate/finance all-rounder, Jean Michel Enríquez; and counsel Jorge Kargl, who assists clients in the telecom, broadcasting, satellite, entertainment, automotive, e-commerce and OTT industries regarding Mexican TMT law, regulations and authorisations. Since publication, Karl has been raised to the partnership - effective as of Janaury 2022.
Luis Gerardo García Santos Coy; Jean Michel Enríquez
‘They are excellent, client friendly and very efficient. Jorge Kargl and Luis Gerardo Garcia.’
‘The most outstanding thing about Creel is the level of knowledge and experience in the field and the communication they maintain with their clients. They perform excellently in project management and are always available. Carlos Mena Labarthe and Jorge Kargl have become our strategic partners in TMT.’
Atos IT Solutions and Services
Grupo Financiero Inbursa
Live Nation Entertainment
Unities Alliance Group
- Counsel to HBO regarding its acquisition of HBO Ole Partners, the joint venture distributing HBO, Max and Cinemax channels in Latin America, as well as the separation of the JV’s distribution of third-party channels and networks.
- Advising Facebook on the regulatory framework applicable to its Workplace platform services in Mexico.
- Counsel to Telesites on the creation and regulatory approvals (including from the IFT) of a real estate investment trust for its telecommunication-towers business.
A longstanding presence in the TMT sector, DLA Piper Gallastegui y Lozano's small, but sturdy practice, is a recurring choice for a broad swathe of the media and entertainment clients, including IT, broadcasting, advertising, entertainment, censorship, and internet and online services. Praised for being ’at the forefront of technological matters’, the department, which is currently representing two major companies in satellite-related mandates, is led by partner Eduardo Gallastegui, who has a strong track-record handling corporate transactions; and Jorge Benejam, who specialises primarily on regulated-industry matters including antitrust, life sciences, telecoms, banking and foreign trade. Recent work highlights include due diligence in the TMT sector, business-plan design and implementation, spectrum allocation, M&As, financings and licensing. The department was further strengthened with the July-2021 arrival of Gabriel Contreras Saldívar, as counsel, from the Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones, the industry's regulatory body.
Eduardo J. Gallastegui Armella; Jorge A. Benejam
‘We love their legitimate and sincere interest in delving not only into the business of companies but also in understanding clients’ motivations and anticipating their wishes with the best legal guidance.’
‘They remain at the forefront of technological matters.’
Earning plaudits from clients for their ‘extensive experience in the telecommunications sector’, González Calvillo, SC's TMT practice evidences great capability, offering comprehensive analysis regarding all related regulatory aspects; but also demonstrating a particular punch when it comes to representing clients in contentious administrative telecoms matters. The department includes a group of solid expert partners and is led by Luis Mancera, who focuses on telecoms along with constitutional, administrative and regulatory matters; and specializes in administrative litigation, constitutional relief proceedings, telecoms disputes and contentious constitutional procedures. Other key figures include the firm's co-managing partner, Jorge Mondragón; while key support is provided by counsel Juan Carlos Peraza, a former regulatory head at Televisa who also handles administrative and constitutional litigation, along with telecoms regulations; fellow counsel Lucía Fernández (data protection, IT and corporate); and specialist associate Rafael Fuentes.
Luis Mancera de Arrigunaga; Jorge Mondragón; Juan Carlos Peraza; Lucía Fernández
‘They are experts in telecommunications and finance. They are at the forefront.’
‘Extensive experience in the public and private telecommunications sectors. Includes diverse teams with great capacity for collaboration.’
‘I have been working with Gonzales Calvillo for more than 15 years and I have always been impressed by the capacity of their lawyers, the promptness with which they respond, the knowledge they have, how versatile they are, and the willingness they have to solve urgent problems even on weekends.’
‘Jorge Mondragon is 100% bilingual and has great knowledge in various legal aspects.’
Metro Net (Kio Networks subsidiary)
TC Travel Connected
- Representing Telefónica México in an amparo proceeding filed against articles 244 and 244- A of the Federal Duties Law (Ley Federal de Derechos).
- Advising Google on a daily basis, from a corporate through to a commercial standpoint.
- Representing TC Travel Connected on compliance with regulatory obligations deriving from its authorisation to resell mobile internet services.
The four-strong practice at Holland & Knight offers comprehensive advice in all areas of TMT, and is particularly skilled on the financial and regulatory aspects of telecommunications projects, as well as cross-border transactions, restructuring processes, and mergers and acquisitions in the telecoms sector. Managing partner Luis Rubio, and partner Octavio Lecona (who can draw on the expertise accrued as an in-house at Telefonica and as a former official at the Mexican telecommunications regulator), co-head the practice, which recently advised Telefonica on a long-term, wholesale deal struck with AT&T in Mexico, which will allow Telefonica to use AT&T’s wireless radio access network (RAN).
Luis Rubio; Octavio Lecona
‘Total availability, knowledge of local law and notions of foreign law add value to H&K’s services.’
‘Their understanding and attention to detail are admirable.’
McAllen Data Center
- Advised Telefonica in connection with a long-term wholesale deal with AT&T in Mexico.
- Advised and represented Eutelsat in connection with a satellite capacity lien imposed on its geostationary satellite constellation (as assigned to Mexico by the International Telecommunications Union).
- Advised McAllen Data Center in connection with the acquisition of rights-of-way to install a fibre-optic cable crossing the United States-Mexico international border.
Ruíz Moreno y Asociados
Powerhouse TMT boutique Ruíz Moreno y Asociados houses a six-strong practice which represents and advises clients on a wide array of matters ranging from licensing, spectrum access and interconnection projects to the deployment or acquisition of fibre optics networks and disputes, among other matters. Garnering praise for its ‘extensive experience in the sector’, as well as for its dexterity handling ‘telecommunications and broadcasting issues’, the department is led by partner Iván Ruiz, a former chairman and current board member of Mexico’s Telecommunications Law Institute as well as current secretary of the board of several TMT companies; he has extensive experience in regulated industries, corporate and commercial law. The firm's strong second line includes senior associates Eli Manuel Ramírez (formerly part of the regulatory team at Nextel), Erika Estrever (a former regulatory counsel at Televisa), and Rubén Gutiérrez Díaz (corporate law, fintech, contracts and trade marks), are all noted.
‘Iván Ruiz and his team have extensive experience in the sector and offer a personalised service.’
‘They are very knowledgeable and up to date in specialised telecommunications and broadcasting issues.’
‘They are very knowledgeable, work hard to get things done quickly and maintain communication with the agencies where we do our business, so that we don’t get left behind in government offices.’
‘I know they are fluent in English and Chinese, which gives them added value.’
- Acted as telecom regulatory counsel to Transtelco in the renegotiation of its credit line before Deutsche Bank; its credit agreements, guaranties and ancillary documents had to comply with telecom laws and regulations in order to be valid.
- Represented Viasat on its entry into the Mexican market, obtain its landing rights licenses for satellites Viasat I, II and others, as well as its single concession for the provision of telecommunications services.
- Represented Transtelco in the contracting of ten-year IRUs from Maxcom.
White & Case S.C.‘s Mexican office boasts an ‘exceptional team in terms of efficiency, speed, depth, knowledge and excellent service’, which is particularly well-known for its litigation capabilities in the telecommunications sector. Said expertise comes primarily from partner Ismael Reyes Retana, a superb litigator with extensive telecoms experience, who garners praise for his dedication, loyalty and absolute interest in each project’. Experienced mid-level associate Yuriria Galicia Arizmendi is also noted.
‘It is an exceptional team in terms of efficiency, speed, depth, knowledge and excellent service.’
‘Ismael Reyes Retana and the team demonstrate extensive legal and business practice knowledge in the sector, as well as dedication, loyalty and absolute interest in each project. They have extensive experience and strategic thinking, and have demonstrated a broad ability to contribute to the company’s objectives.’
‘They have mastered their subjects, and the strategies they propose are comprehensive and objective.’
Cable y Comunicación de Campeche
México Red de Telecomunicaciones
- Represented Altán Redes in an amparo trial brought by Rivada Networks and Spectrum Frontier against the bid award that was issued by Mexico’s Ministry of Communications and Transportation.
- Advised Televisa on high-profile contentious telecoms matters, including various constitutional proceedings.
- Representing Telefónica in an amparo lawsuit filed by Telcel against the prohibition to discriminate between on-net and off-net rates and other important obligations set forth in the Federal Telecommunications Act.
Dentons López Velarde
Dentons López Velarde houses a robust, nine-strong Mexican TMT practice, which has been particularly active, of late, with the launch and operation of technology businesses in the region, from specialised e-commerce and social media platforms to matters concerning crypto-currency regulations, virtual worlds and self-driving cars. Departmental head Sergio Legorreta, who joined from Baker Mckenzie in January 2020, is a regular advisor to internet, e-commerce, social media, peer to peer / sharing platforms, streaming platforms and major hardware and software companies. He also regularly advices telecommunication service providers, including mobile operators, satellite providers and large users of technology. Senior associate Ximena Calderón and managing associate Diego González are other names to note.
- Advisory to Facebook on technology law, certain regulatory aspects it’s products, commercial matters around the company’s operations, privacy and data protection, liaison with authorities, general representation and even shared-party organising.
- Advising TikTok on all aspects of the operation of its platform in the region; including engagement with local authorities, data protection authorities, prosecutors and other stakeholders.
- Advising Twitter regarding regional legal management, including the team in Mexico and Brazil, as well as assistance with freedom of speech matters, media regulations, political engagement and contractual issues.
Galicia Abogados S.C. offers ‘deep knowledge of the TMT industry from different angles: regulatory, transactional, competition, and litigation’ according to clients. The firm maintains a six-strong telecoms team as part of its wider regulatory practice group of 16 lawyers which, on the telecoms-side, handles day-to-day matters, transactional operations and administrative disputes; and on the technology front, undertakes regulatory, transactional competition, privacy, tax and IP-related matters, along with fintech. The ‘well-rounded and extremely talented’ Carlos Chávez, who has a strong focus on competition matters and public sector contracting, heads all the firm's telecom and media mandates. Additional partner expertise is provided by fintech specialist Arturo Perdomo and Humberto Pérez Rocha.
Carlos Chávez; Ricardo Garcia; Arturo Perdomo; Humberto Perez-Rocha
‘Galicia Abogados has a multidisciplinary team with a deep bench for TMT matters, led by the well-rounded and extremely talented Carlos Chávez.’
‘The team has strong capabilities in regulatory, competition matters and M&A transactions in this field. Carlos Chávez is brilliant at coordinating these teams.’
‘Carlos Chávez is exceptional being a truly well-rounded transactional, regulatory and competition lawyer, and expert in TMT.’
‘Ignacio Pesqueira is a brilliant negotiator with an ability to identify and address risks important to an asset management company like ours. Associate Maria Fernanda Luna is highly technical and hard-working.’
‘Galicia Abogados is innovative in offering clients a multidisciplinary team with a deep knowledge of the TMT industry from different angles: regulatory, transactional, competition, and litigation.’
BestDay Travel Group
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology
Solenis Technologies Mexico
The Impossible Orchestra (pro bono)
Radio Teocelo (pro bono)
Mexican Health Foundation (FUNSALUD)
- Advised BestDay Travel Group on the divestiture of its subsidiaries Viajes Beda and Transporturist to Despegar.com Corporation, an online travel company in Latin America.
- Advised Intel in relation to the Mexican aspects of the sale of its NAND memory and storage business unit to South Korean chipmaker SK Hynix.
- Advised the partially state-owned Chinese manufacturer and supplier of video surveillance equipment for civilian and military purposes, Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology, in connection with its $65m acquisition of a participation on Sistemas y Servicios de Comunicación and Syscom.
Greenberg Traurig, S.C. has notably seized on the momentum generated by the 2018 arrival of practice-head Edgar Olvera Jiménez, bolstering its TMT offering, which was already active in transactional matters, to increase its participation on regulatory mandates. Olvera, who garners praise from clients for always being ‘one step ahead of everyone else’, is a former Undersecretary of Communications for the Mexican Ministry of Communications and Transportation. He leads an eight-strong practice group, which of late has handled infrastructure deployment projects, regulatory matters and permits before the IFT, negotiations to obtain contracts with the CFE, cable and satellite television-network regulatory analysis, advice on cable services, pay-per-view and/or OTT platforms, as well as regulatory and corporate advice to operate as Mobile Virtual Operators (MVOs) in Mexico. Fellow partners Miguel Yturbe and Luis Cortés both have a strong telecoms aspect to their practices, while Carmina Mogollón is firmly focused on global data protection and privacy issues.
Edgar Olvera Jiménez
‘Both the team and Edgar Olvera have outstanding experience in the different areas of Telecommunications’
‘Edgar Olvera is always one step ahead of everyone else, has a wonderful manner, knows everyone in the telecommunications world, and is the brightest person with the best ideas for the different support situations we have encountered’
‘Edgar Olvera, is always on the cutting edge with the latest developments, and always communicates them to us’
Yonder Media Mobile
Radio y Televisión Mexiquense
American Tower Mexico
MXT Fiber Partners
Phoenix Tower International (PTI)
Landscape Acquisition Company
MXT Capital Partners
GTAC Grupo de Telecomunicaciones de Alta Capacidad
- Legal and regulatory advice to incorporate, obtain authorizations from the IFT, contracts and representation to start operations as a Mobile Virtual Operator in Mexico.
- Advised in the acquisition of a portfolio consisting of 350km fiber optic network located in Quintana Roo including a cross-border cable connecting Quintana Roo and Belize.
- Legal and regulatory audit of all their six sound broadcasting station concessions as a preventive compliance review.
Nader, Hayaux y Goebel, SC houses a robust seven-strong TMT practice, known for handling high-end, sophisticated transactions across the telecommunications and broadcasting segments (including satellite), as well as complex regulatory matters. The team continues to advise Satélites Mexicanos Eutelsat on capitalisation, licensing and regulatory matters, filings before the telecom authorities, and in relation to data privacy. Senior partner Michell Nader heads the practice together with Julian Garza, who has a focus on corporate, financial and regulatory matters in the sector. Additional partner expertise comes from Gunter Schwandt who has solid expertise in telecom and government procurement matters as part of his broader corporate / finance practice.
Michell Nader; Julián Garza C.
‘A strong team with extensive knowledge. Together with his partners, Michel Nader leads one of the best corporate law firms.’
Telefónica / Telefónica Movistar México
Inter-American Investment Corporation
- Advising Eutelsat on corporate, regulatory and transactional matters.
- Advised Altán Redes on the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB)’s accession to its $1.8bn facility for the construction of the Red Compartida project with a $50m loan.
- Mexican co-counsel (in conjunction with Reed Smith) representing Microsoft in the acquisition of Metaswitch Networks, invoving a due diligence of those Mexican entities and assets involved in the acquisition.