Housing one of Malta’s largest commercial dispute resolution departments, Camilleri Preziosi maintains a strong reputation for commercial, corporate, shareholder and banking disputes. It also has a solid background of assisting clients in contesting and appealing decisions made by financial, compliance and regulatory authorities. In addition, the practice has seen an increase in international arbitration cases across the construction and real estate, shipping, intellectual property, banking and insurance spheres. Lead litigator Marisa Vella is assisted by Kristina Rapa Manché and associate Francesca Galea Cavallazzi.
Dispute resolution in Malta
Other key lawyers:
Kristina Rapa Manché; Francesca Galea Cavallazzi
‘Apart from being competent, the individual team members are passionate and immerse themselves fully in the cases they are engaged on. Such an approach reassures clients, without encouraging them to build false hopes.’
‘The litigation team are well prepared on any aspect of litigation, and their legal briefs are always of outstanding quality. They give consummate attention to the facts, and their legal submissions are meticulously researched and well argued.’
‘I have worked with Marisa Vella, Kristina Rapa Manché and Francesca Galea Cavallazzi mainly, and I have found each of them thoroughly briefed and proactive in their approach.’
Lombard Bank p.l.c.
Credence Fiduciary Limited
Malta Financial Services Authority
Commissioner for Standards in Public Life
Debono Group of Companies
SPTT Properties Limited
National Lottery p.l.c.
St Aloysius College
Truevo Payments Limited
Malta Healthcare Caterers Limited
Air Malta p.l.c.
- Acting for Enemalta plc in a €21m dispute in connection with damage caused by a vessel, MV Di Matteo, to the interconnector cable between Malta and Sicily, causing widespread outage of the electricity supply throughout the Maltese Islands.
- Advising Malta Healthcare Caterers Limited, in its capacity as employer, in proceedings before the First Hall of the Civil Court against TACA Insaat Ve Ticaret A.S. relating to the termination of a contract of works.
- Representing Lombard Bank Malta in constitutional proceedings, claiming that anti-money laundering legislation, which was applied when the bank was investigated by the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit, breached its fundamental right to a fair hearing.
Fenech & Fenech Advocates
Fenech & Fenech Advocates' expertise ranges from constitutional, public and administrative law cases to commercial and corporate disputes, and, notably, marine litigation, which is spearheaded by Ann Fenech. Senior parter Edward Debono is a well known litigator in cases concerning commercial and property law, including estate management and inheritance law. For construction and insurance disputes, senior associate Carl Grech is highly recommended.
Edward DeBono; Anne Fenech
Other key lawyers:
‘The people forming part of Fenech & Fenech have a wealth of experience in the various specialised practice areas within the law firm. I consider Fenech & Fenech as being the leading law firm in Malta, especially for corporate and international clients.’
‘Ann Fenech is not only one of the most experienced lawyers in the maritime sector, both locally and internationally, but is also very passionate about her profession and has had an active role in providing legal advice to our company for many years.’
‘Carl Grech is also a young and enthusiastic lawyer at Fenech & Fenech whom I had the pleasure to work with. His pragmatic and professional approach led to a successful conclusion of the case.’
Malta Public Transport Operations Services Limited
Gaming Innovation Group
Malta Freeport Terminals Limited
Grimaldi Group and Sullivan Maritime Limited
NT Bunkering AS
Enemalta plc/ Atlas Insurance PCC Ltd
The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation & Repubblika
Mr Green Limited / William Hill plc
Melars Group Limited
Epic Communications Ltd
The Performing Right Society Ltd
- Represented Epic Communications Ltd in negotiating the settlement of a dispute concerning the illegal broadcasting of Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga football league matches via IPTV services.
- Acting for Malta Freeport Terminals in numerous cases before the Maltese courts, including handling a claim seeking compensation for damages resulting from an oil spill.
- Assisted NT Bunkering AS with obtaining several enforceable titles in respect of sums owed for unpaid bunker fuel supplied to a Maltese-flagged vessel.
Ganado Advocates is noted for its handling of complex and high-value construction, maritime and corporate disputes and intellectual property litigation. It also routinely assists with the enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards. Antoine Cremona has significant experience in cases involving proceedings under the New York Convention and sovereign immunity in international commercial arbitration. Louis Cassar Pullicino is one of Malta’s top shipping litigators, while Cremona leads on commercial and construction disputes. Senior associate Clement Mifsud-Bonnici is noted for competition, state aid, public procurement and regulatory law disputes.
Louis Cassar Pullicino; Antoine Cremona
Other key lawyers:
‘What makes Ganado unique, like any business entity, is its experience and the expertise of its staff. Their guidance and our commercial aims were aligned and at the end the expected result was achieved. They went above and beyond, and have been extremely efficient and clear.’
‘Clement Mifsud-Bonnici has a very calm approach and listens carefully, but also managed to explain what we would be facing and the strategy that he would recommend. His communication skills have been highly appreciated. Antoine Cremona is also a very good listener and judged correctly the strategy that was to be adopted.’
‘They have a unique public procurement practice, filled with dedicated lawyers practising in this niche area.’
‘Pragmatic and exacting approach in handling matters.’
Mamo TCV Advocates
‘Considered one of the best law firms in Malta’, Mamo TCV Advocates is highly regarded for its strong representation of clients in civil and general commercial, insurance and banking claims and in the enforcement of foreign judgments in Malta. Frank Testa heads the commercial and international arbitration practice, alongside Stephen Muscat. Distinguished by his constitutional law expertise, Joseph Camilleri is noted for public procurement and planning law cases. Associate Maria Lisa Buttigieg provides valuable support.
Joseph Camilleri; Frank Testa; Stephen Muscat
Other key lawyers:
Maria Lisa Buttigieg
‘MAMO TCV’s strength lies in their understanding of the client’s exact needs, and acting with alacrity. They are a very modern firm that, however, has one principle that is timeless: you get value for money.’
‘We have grown with Frank Testa and he has grown with us. We have experienced him becoming a very seasoned lawyer, but with a beating heart. His reasoning in court is backed by meticulous research and a thorough knowledge of the law, but he is not afraid to put forward innovative arguments. Maria Lisa Buttigieg backs Frank up with even more research and good legal arguments, but with a practical approach to solving problems.’
‘Mamo TCV can certainly be considered one of the best law firms in Malta. They have a large practice, covering various areas of expertise. The dispute resolution department is well structured, as well as the shipping and aviation department.’
‘I regard Joseph Camilleri, who is a skilled litigator with extensive experience, highly. We have also appreciated Frank Testa’s contribution to our cases.’
‘We have been collaborating with this firm for over 20 years and the service is still the same: impeccable.’
‘Mamo TCV has an exceptional team with diverse yet complementary specialisations. It has really been a one-stop shop for dispute resolution, from commercial to GDPR, tax, regulatory, medico-legal, civil and corporate cases. Billing by comparison to others is fair, transparent and extremely reasonable.’
‘Joseph Camilleri has been truly exceptional in being our point of reference at MAMO TCV. He is always available for our team, and will loop in specialists from the relevant departments of the firm according to the particular case, saving us the hassle of looking for the appropriate specialist ourselves. He is extremely knowledgeable and yet humble, and has a rare ability to explain complicated legal matters in understandable terms. His quiet yet firm demeanour also earns him respect from opponents, and this has been instrumental in building relationships and resolving disputes where others have not succeeded.’
‘I would like to mention Joseph Camilleri for dispute resolution matters. His breadth of knowledge and expertise, as well as his 24/7 availability and support, have proved invaluable.’
Futura Funds SICAV
Optimum Funds SICAV
Simonds Farsons Cisk
Liquigas Malta Limited
- Represented SICAVs based in Malta and Luxembourg in ongoing proceedings involving the Istituto per le Opere di Religione.
Robert Tufigno co-heads the litigation practice at GTG Advocates, where he focuses on corporate, commercial and real estate disputes, especially concerning conveyancing, construction and leasing transactions. Fellow co-head Ivan Gatt is another prominent real estate and insurance litigator. Associate Maria Attard is ‘outstanding’ in civil disputes.
Robert Tufigno; Ivan Gatt
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very responsive.’
‘Both Maria Attard and Ivan Gatt were very professional with their work, preparing appropriately for all hearings and also walking me through the phases of the process so that I could understand.’
‘They are very supportive to their clients. They are always well prepared for court hearings.’
‘Maria Attard is outstanding. I have found her thorough and loyal, and understanding about my emotional state as the case has been very trying at times. She is very dedicated to her work, with great legal knowledge and attention to the finer details of the case.’
Montaldo Insurance Agency Limited
Camilleri & Cuschieri Consulting Engineers
University of Malta Academic Staff Association (UMASA)
MDM Costruzione Generali S.r.l.
Qufan Internet Technologies Ltd
RS2 Software plc
The Authority for Transport in Malta
Edwards Lowell Company Limited
Boatcare Trading Limited
- Represented Montaldo Insurance Agency Limited in various insurance cases before Malta’s Superior Courts and Tribunals.
- Represented the University of Malta Academic Staff Association in a lawsuit seeking sole recognition as the union for resident and research academics employed by the University of Malta, and assisted in a dispute regarding a collective agreement.
- Represented GO Plc in a dispute before the Administrative Review Tribunal relating to the fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network.
John Bonello is the founding partner of specialist disputes boutique 8pointlaw. He is a well-respected litigator in civil, commercial and real estate cases, and particularly in complex disputes involving aspects of family, succession and inheritance law.
‘Sound knowledge of the law and legal strategy.’
‘The team is perfectly balanced when it comes to the professional service requested. Legal expertise and knowledge of the law are key to what we look for in the team. They are efficient, knowledgable, commercial and never take you for a ride.’
‘John Bonello has more than 20 years’ experience in the field. Apart from his knowledge of the law, his mind is an internal archive and therefore solutions are found in the shortest time frame possible.’
INDIS Malta Ltd. (previously Malta Industrial Parks Limited)
S & S Bathrooms Limited
MLR Imports Limited
D.D.E. Attard Limited
Cammast Properties Limited
E.C. Municipals Ltd
- Representing a client in constitutional proceedings following a wrongful imprisonment, based on the right to protection from arbitrary arrest or detention and provisions to secure the protection of the law as established by the ECHR.
- Representing INDIS Malta Ltd. in a claim against a local enterprise for over €500,000 in damages following a highly publicised fire incident on a major industrial estate in Malta.
- Acted for E.C. Municipals Ltd before the Public Contracts Review Board and subsequently the Court of Appeal following a tender issued by the Ministry for Education and Employment for the provision of cleaning services in state schools, for a value of over €9m.
Deguara Farrugia Advocates
Specialising in commercial and civil disputes, Deguara Farrugia Advocates has a strong reputation for representing clients in cases before the Superior and Inferior Courts, Tribunals and Boards of Malta. The firm is sought after for contractual disputes relating to property assets and construction projects. Jonathan Thompson is the lead figure in the team.
‘Immediate and very effective specialised responses to any legal problem that arises.’
- Representing a doctor before the Constitutional Court in connection with discriminatory and inhuman and degrading treatment he suffered at his place of work.
- Represented clients owning a mortgage on bulk-carrier vessel Trading Fabrizia in seeking enforceability of the mortgage and ship arrest following a judicial sale and subsequent registrations in other jurisdictions.
Guido de Marco & Associates
Guido de Marco & Associates‘ Giannella De Marco is regarded as one of Malta’s top white-collar criminal defence lawyers. Civil department head Mario De Marco is sought after for his strong commercial litigation skills and experience of handling claims involving foreign jurisdictions, particularly in Northern Africa. Clinton Calleja is another key commercial litigator.
Giannella de Marco; Mario de Marco; Clinton Calleja
‘Stands out for the vast, extensive knowledge within the firm.’
‘Follows trends in business and has created specific departments to address the trends. For example, applications for work permits were getting tougher, and we were surprised to learn that they had a specialist lawyer recruited in anticipation of such a change.’
‘Honest and balanced opinion from Mario de Marco. Using his knowledge of the workings of the government, he was also able to advise on appropriate strategies.’
Microsoft Malta Limited
Mediterranean Aviation Company Limited (Medavia)
Mel Air Limited
Global Payments Limited
SiGMA Group (organisers of World iGaming Summits)
Orange Travel Group
Turkish Airlines Inc.
De La Rue Currency and Authentication Solutions
Allied Newspapers Limited
Progress Press Company Limited
ETI Securities plc
St Michael School Company Limited
Infinity Group UK
National Insurance Brokers
Emmanuel Delicata Winemakers
K.K. Holdings Limited
ITW (European Finance Co. Ltd.)
Attard Farm Supplies Limited (AFS)
OB Operations Limited (Ocean Basket Franchise)
Technologies and Beyond Limited (Media Troopers)
- Represented a client in a lawsuit against HSBC Bank Malta plc for failing to honour the documentary terms of the letter of credit.
- Defending Betacorp International in a lawsuit whereby the client is alleged to have wrongfully received assets valued in excess of $1bn.
- Acted for United Aviation, a Tripoli-based aviation company, in a dispute before the courts of Malta regarding the ownership of two high-value Bombardier aircraft being claimed by a Libya-based authority.
Offering ‘extremely sharp legal advice, both on theoretical matters and pragmatic issues’, Refalo Advocates, founded by partners Mark Refalo and Ian Refalo, stands out for its expertise in administrative, civil and commercial law disputes at all levels of the Maltese courts. The firm maintains a niche specialisation in public procurement and the enforcement and applicability of European legislation in Malta, especially in relation to tax and free movement obligations.
Mark Refalo; Ian Refalo
‘Refalo Advocates delivers work and legal analyses which are clever and insightful. Thanks to its unique alliance of academics and practitioners, this family-run office offers extremely sharp legal advice, both on theoretical matters and pragmatic issues.’
‘John and Ian Refalo have an in-depth knowledge of the Maltese legal system and are always ready to put the client’s needs first, explaining the differences between their national internal laws and other legal traditions.’
‘They are top professionals with extensive knowledge and strategic acumen.’
STMicroelectronics (Malta) Ltd
Citadel Insurance plc
Frank Salvatore Rafaraci / Multinational Logistics Services
Infinitely Xara Group
Schembri & Sons
- Acting for Futura Funds Sicav plc in a dispute with the Vatican’s treasury department relating to an investment transaction for the acquisition of the building of the former Hungarian Stock Exchange.
- Acting for the chairman and CEO of BNP Paribas in a claim against Vertical Group Holding Limited for €1bn in damages for the breach of its confidentiality and fiduciary obligations, as well as for defamation.
WH Partners‘ Davinia Cutajar represents the firm’s fintech and TMT sector clients in intellectual property, shareholder, insolvency, breach of contract, employment and commercial disputes.
‘They are exceptional. Our business model is complex and requires highly specific advice and expertise and WH Partners succeeds in providing such legal services.’
‘Davinia Cutajar is proficient in developing strategies in complex matters.’
Zammit Pace Advocates
Senior associate Sharon Pace Gouder is the key contact in the contentious practice at Zammit Pace Advocates. In banking litigation, she represents financial services providers before the Financial Services Tribunal and the Arbiter for Financial Services in regulatory enforcement actions brought by the Malta Financial Services Authority and in consumer law claims brought by investors. General commercial disputes and claims relating to real estate, transportation and logistics are her other areas of expertise. Managing partner Roderick Zammit Pace is also recommended.
Sharon Pace Gouder; Robert Zammit Pace