Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill offers a full service real estate and construction practice, acting on both contentious and non-contentious matters. The firm's client base consists of developers, contractors, financiers and institutional investors. Weng Hwee Tay is leading the team and working on real estate transactions, joint ventures and development projects, with over twenty years of experience in the field. Nitin Nadkarni is a key figure in the practice, with a focus on international arbitration, and handling construction, engineering and infrastructures disputes across Asia and Europe.
Real estate and construction in Malaysia
Other key lawyers:
KL South Development
Ernst & Young Malaysia
Malaysia Pacific Corporation Berhad
Mapletree Invesments Pte Ltd
UEM Sunrise Berhad
Timor Oil Palm Plantation
- Acted for KL South Development, a specific joint venture company between Albatha Bukit Kiara Holdings and Affin Islamic Bank Berhad for the en bloc sale of all retail units at VERVE® Suites KL South to Chinese owned entity Ruju Properties Sdn Bhd.
- Acting for Telekom Malaysia in seeking additional land compensation arising from partial compulsory acquisition of TM’s land for MRT2, the second line of the multibillion-dollar Klang Valley MRT project.
- Acting for Ernst & Young Malaysia as liquidators in the sale of multiple plots of land located in Kuantan, the state capital of Pahang, together with plants and machineries of Kinsteel Bhd (in liquidation) and its subsidiary, Harvard Vision Sdn Bhd to Top Gloss Sdn Bhd and API.
Rahmat Lim & Partners advises clients on corporate real estate matters, international arbitration and construction projects. Chong Yee Leong is experienced in international arbitration, representing clients in energy, oil and gas, power and infrastructure disputes in Singapore, Malaysia and the wider region. Lee Yee Ling is active on corporate real estate matters such as real estate acquisitions and divestments and commercial leasing. Her clients include developers, corporations, property funds and property investors. Kamilah Kasim is recommended for her projects and infrastructure work, on both the transactional and disputes sides.
- Advised NUR Power Sdn. Bhd. on the development and construction of a 150 MW Combined Cycle Gas Turbine power plant Advised NUR Power Sdn. Bhd., a licenced private utility pursuant to the Electricity Supply Act 1990 in relation to the development and construction of a 150 MW Combined Cycle Gas Turbine power plant in the northern region of Malaysia including drafting and negotiating engineering, procurement and construction contract (EPC Contract), consultancy services agreements and long term service agreement.
- Advised Semangkuk 2 Berhad on the acquisition of Mapletree Logistics Hub – Shah Alam via the proceeds from an asset-backed securitization programme for the issuance of medium term notes of up to MYR5 billion in nominal value.
- Advised Strategic Sonata Sdn. Bhd. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Mapletree Dextra Pte. Ltd., a Mapletree investment holding company) in acquiring 10 pieces of industrial lands together with the buildings, structures and plants erected thereon located in Shah Alam, Selangor measuring approximately 38.803 acres from the subsidiaries of UMW Holdings Berhad for the total purchase price of MYR287.7 million.
Shearn Delamore & Co's clients include private companies, local and offshore property funds, real estate investors, financial institutions and multinational corporations. The firm advises on property acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures and M&A involving real estate clients. Sau Yee Sar is co-leading the team and provides expertise on shareholder agreements, commercial leases and joint ventures for property development. Rodney Gomez also co-leads the team and is noted for his dispute resolution experience, including litigation and arbitration in relation to construction and infrastructure disputes.
Eco World Development Group Berhad
S P Setia Berhad
Wong & Partners
Wong & Partners handles real estate transactions in Malaysia and on a cross-border basis, regulatory advice in regard to real estate matters and commercial agreements for a range of development projects. Senior associate May Chua advises clients on investments and dealings in real estate assets. Foreign multinationals, funds, REITs and asset owners count among the firm's broad client base. Tang Ai Leen has joined from Zul Rafique & Partners, and is leading the real estate practice following the departure of Hsian Siong Yong who established his own practice Hsian & Co in March 2021.
Tang Ai Leen
Other key lawyers:
‘The senior members of the RE team are knowledgeable and share commercially palatable recommendations.’
‘May Chua is responsive and provide valuable insights to navigate the negotiations with landlords on multiple complex issues.’
S P Setia Berhad
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd
The Intermark Sdn. Bhd.
Media Prima Berhad
F&N Agrivalley Sdn. Bhd.
- Advised and assisted F&N AgriValley Sdn. Bhd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Fraser & Neave Holdings Bhd, with the proposed acquisition of 4,454 ha of leasehold land in the Northern State of Perlis for an amount of MYR 156 million.
- Acted for the consortium, comprising of ib vogt GmbH and Coara Solar Sdn. Bhd, in negotiating a long term lease for approximately 440 acres of land to be used for the development and undertaking of the Project. As part of the transaction, we assisted the client by advising on its rights to the Project land, taking note of the rights of the lessor to the land, which were held under a master lease, as well as advising on the regulatory, operational and project requirements, together with the project finance department.
- Acted for Regal Beloit Corporation, a NYSE-listed manufacturer of electric motors on advising on and the novation of its industrial and warehousing space in Malaysia as part of it reorganisation following the global acquisition of Nicotra Gerbhardt S.p.A..
MahWengKwai & Associates manages sub-sale transactions for landed and non-landed properties as well as mixed developments, alongside advising developers, individuals and companies on development agreements which include local and international clients. Raymond Mah is an established figure in construction arbitration and litigation, having appeared at every level of the Malaysian court system from the High Court to the Federal Court. Sarah Kambali has experience of both contentious and non-contentious real estate matters. Christine Toh has acted for architects, quantity surveyors and engineers in construction disputes, handling disputes through arbitration, adjudication and litigation.
‘The firm gave us a proposal outlining their opinions on the subject matter that enabled us to properly evaluate whether we should engage them.’
‘Hannah Patrick was attentive to the details that we provided her regarding our issue despite us only communicating online as our firms were in different states. She gave us regular updates regarding the progress of the case without us requesting it. Previously, we have used lawyers that required us to push them or made us wonder midway if they knew what they were doing but this was never the case with Hannah and her firm.’
WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn Bhd
Leong Wai Choong & Leong Kuen Wai
Tee Resources Sdn Bhd
Industrial Concrete Products Sdn Bhd
Sime Darby Elmina Development Sdn Bhd
Eco Majestic Sdn Bhd
- Advised and represented WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn Bhd to claim for the sum of RM1,176,210.34 for the professional fees and charges rendered by the Client.
- Representing Mr Leong Wai Choong & Leong Kuen Wai in their application to terminate their co-proprietorship by selling a property they co-owed with the respondents in the city centre of Kuala Lumpur.
- Advised and represented Datin Azimah Binti Awang Teh as the Vendor’s Solicitors for the sale of her double storey terrace house at the price of RM750,000.00
Raja, Darryl & Loh assists property developers, contractors and construction specialists on real estate transactions. Hon Leng Choon leads the firm's construction practice and he advises on contract documentation, project advice, post-dispute negotiations and dispute resolution. He has also been lead counsel in several arbitrations. Mei Mei Chong is notable in the hotels and oil and gas sectors. Her work includes managing real estate portfolios.
Petron Malaysia Group
WCT Construction Sdn Bhd
Perumahan Rakyat 1Malaysia Corporation (“PR1MA”)
- Assisted ACHM Global Hospitality Licensing SARL, part of the Marriott International Group, in respect of its management agreements that were signed to manage several hotels in Malaysia.
- Advised Luxury Hotels International Management Company B.V. (Malaysia Branch), part of the Marriott International Group, in regard to its agreement to manage the Sheraton Kota Kinabalu Hotel.
- Representing a plantation company client in a claim by its design-and-build contractor for, inter alia, wrongful termination, work done and loss of profits, whilst the client’s counter-claim is for damages for failure to perform and losses suffered due to delay and non-completion.
Skrine's real estate and construction practice provides 'concise and focused advice.' Theresa Chong leads the real estate team and is active on real estate project developments as well as infrastructure and transport projects. Ivan Loo and Ashok Kumar Mahadev Ranai are the firm's key dispute resolution practitioners. They have acted for multinational companies on disputes involving civil building construction and undertake litigation, arbitration and adjudication proceedings in relation to construction and engineering disputes. The non-contentious construction work is handled by Richard Khoo Boo Hin, who has experience working for developers, contractors and consultants on commercial developments.
‘Excellent value for money. Concise and focused advice which demonstrates a real appreciation for business needs.’
Iskandar Investment Berhad
Mudajaya Corporation Berhad
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn Bhd
Hunza Properties (Gurney) Sdn Bhd
Hunza Properties (Penang) Sdn Bhd
Beachfront Services Sdn Bhd
- Acted for River Retreat Sdn Bhd (“RRSB”) in the disposal of 200-acre Land by Iskandar Investment Berhad’s Subsidiary. RRSB, an indirect subsidiary of Iskandar Investment Berhad, had on 15 December 2019, entered into a sale and purchase agreement (“SPA”) with Melia Spring Sdn Bhd (“Melia Spring”), a subsidiary of Eco World Development Group Berhad (“EcoWorld”), for the sale and purchase of 200 acres of land located in Iskandar Puteri, Johor.
- Acting for Mudajaya Corporation Berhad (“MJC”), a public limited company carrying out businesses in relation to civil engineering and building construction. MJC is currently involved in a series of litigation disputes with Crest Worldwide Resources Sdn. Bhd. (“CWRSB”) and its subsidiary companies. CWRSB was the developer of the Crest Jalan Sultan Ismail Project (“The Crest”). The Crest project, valued at approximately RM 219 million, consists of serviced apartments, office towers and basement car parks at Persiaran Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur.
- Acting for MCC Overseas (M) Sdn. Bhd. (“MCC”) in a civil suit against Jetson Construction Sdn. Bhd. (“Jetson Construction”) relating to the construction of high rise service apartments and a hotel along Jalan Conlay in Kuala Lumpur.
Zain & Co
Zain & Co is active in the retail, technology, and financial services sectors on various real estate transactions such as property acquisitions and disposals, leases, sales and leasebacks. It also advises on the construction of data centres, hypermarkets and office buildings. Zainal Azlan bin Abdul Kadir is leading the team and acts for clients on the sale and purchase of real properties while Mariza Azen Mat Rasip is present on property development transactions. Also of note is Zain Azlan Zain Azahari, who has experience of real estate development planning.
Permodalan Nasional Berhad and its’ subsidiaries
Employees Provident Fund Board
PT Rajawali Corpora / Rajawali Group of Companies (“Rajawali”)
National Aerated Water Company (Kuala Lumpur) S/B
Kumpulan Perubatan (Johor) Sdn Bhd
- Advising the Employees Provident Fund Board (EPF) in respect of the terms and conditions of a number of agreements with The Society for the International School of Kuala Lumpur (“ISKL”) which are in regard to the leasing of federal government land in Jalan Ampang Hilir, Kuala Lumpur and the construction and sub-leasing of a new premier international school campus erected by ISKL on the land with a project value of approximately RM365 million.
- Advising Permodalan Nasional Berhad in respect of their disposal of 138 commercial stratified units and 6 shop-office units located in Damansara, Kuala Lumpur to various purchasers.
- Acting for Rajawali as joint venture partner with the Federal Government and State owned bodies in the developments of the six star St Regis Langkawi and the Langkawi International Convention Centre in Langkawi.
Zul Rafique & Partners offers services on property acquisitions and divestments, property developments and joint ventures, commercial leasing, and property management. Leong May Ling is active on the transfer of assets and development agreements while Ainal Marlinda Md Said is noted for her real estate planning work. Tang Ai Leen has joined Wong & Partners.
TRX City Sdn Bhd
Tropicana Corporation Berhad
Hap Seng Consolidated Berhad
CapitaLand Malaysia Mall Trust
Royal Group, Royal & Sons Organisation Pte Ltd, Singapore
KLCC Property Holdings Berhad
UEM Sunrise Berhad
Microsoft Payments (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Putrajaya Holdings Berhad
Sime Darby Property Berhad
I & P Group Sdn Bhd
PNB Development Sdn Bhd
- Advised and acted for UEM Sunrise Berhad (“UEMS”) and its subsidiary companies (“UEMS group”) in respect of various transactions with Khazanah Nasional Berhad’s wholly owned subsidiary, Themed Attractions Resorts & Hotels Sdn. Bhd. (“TAR&H”) and its subsidiary companies (“TAR&H group”)
- Advised and acted for PCSB in relation to the disposal of all of a piece of industrial land measuring approximately 28 acres (112,396 square metres) in area within Taman Meranti Jaya mixed development in Puchong, Selangor (“Property”), to OSK Holdings Bhd at the sale consideration of RM127.0 million
- Advised and acted for KLSB, a subsidiary of Hap Seng Land Development Sdn. Bhd., in relation to a hotel services agreement with an affiliate of Hyatt Hotels Corporation, which is an American global hospitality company that manages and franchises luxury hotels, resorts, and vacation ownership properties.
Christopher & Lee Ong ihandles matters such as acquisitions of real estate agencies, REITs, construction disputes and international arbitration. Lee Hock Chye has several decades of experience in the field, offering a combined real estate and banking expertise. Lim Hui Ming advises on local and cross-border agreements for multinational corporations and individuals while Eileen Yeoh, who works on real estate transactions, has a background as a construction litigation practitioner. Also of note is Kelvin Kho who acts for foreign clients investing in redevelopment projects in Malaysia.
YTL Corporation Berhad
Damansara Realty Berhad
Mohamed Ridza & Co
Mohamed Ridza & Co acts for domestic and international clients in transactions related to the sale and purchase of properties, tenancies as well as leases of residential and commercial properties. Hafidah Aman Hashim advises on the development and sale of housing and commercial development projects such as high end condominiums. Sharifah Shafika Alsagoff is active on corporate and real estate matters while Mohamad Nazran Basirun has experience of projects especially in relation to oil and gas matters.
‘They have great team work. Easy to be reached and always provide their assistance whenever we requested. Work delivered promptly and most of the time earlier than deadline given.
‘Puan Hafidah – Partner in-charge for our company’s files/matters. She is pleasant to work with and always provide her assistance to our request at her best of ability. She always understands the urgency that we are facing and even though short timing is given, she will provide her opinion promptly.’
I&P Alam Impian Sdn. Bhd.
Perbadanan Pr1ma Malaysia (PR1MA)
Symphony Union Suites Sdn. Bhd.
Sime Darby Property Berhad
Alphine Return Sdn Bhd
Pancaran Nilai (M) Sdn Bhd
- Prepared legal documentation in relation to the sale and purchase of 89 Units of Double Storey Terrace House @ Alam Impian, Shah Alam.
- Acted for PERBADANAN PR1MA MALAYSIA; prepared legal documentation in relation to the sale and purchase of PR1MA @ Bandar Bukit Mahkota homes.
- Acted for SIME DARBY PROPERTY BERHAD; prepared legal documentation in relation to the sale and purchase of 70 units of double storey link house in Denai Alam.
Naqiz & Partners
Naqiz & Partners' real estate and construction practice is led by Shamshul Iskandar Zulkifli who is active on matters such as property acquisitions and divestments, development projects, commercial leasing and property financing. He is also present on joint venture projects and provides general commercial expertise.
- Acted for and advised SPNB Aspirasi Sdn Bhd on the development agreement in relation to an affordable housing accommodation that consists of 469 units of terrace houses in Gambang, Kuantan, Pahang with a gross development value of approximately RM108,000,000.00.
- Acted for and advised SPNB Aspirasi Sdn Bhd on the development agreement in relation to mixed development that consists of 386 units of apartments, shop lots, business lots and offices in Bandar Kota Bharu, Jajahan Kota Bharu, Negeri Kelantan with a gross development value of approximately RM241,000,000.00.
- Acted for and advised SPNB Aspirasi Sdn. Bhd. for mixed development in Setapak, Kuala Lumpur. This development has been divided into two phases. Phase 1 consists 632 units of service apartments and retail lots with a gross development value of approximately RM288,000,000.00.
Tay & Partners offers a well-established practice which acts on greenfield projects, advises on regulatory issues for international clients acquiring real estate in Malaysia and assists clients on real estate financing. Hong Yun Chang leads the team and represents local and foreign clients on real estate and regulatory compliance matters.
IKEA Supply AG
Biocon Sdn Bhd
- Engaged to advise IKEA Supply AG in the acquisition of industrials lands at Pulau Indah Industrial Park, Selangor measuring approximately 295.52 acres which will be used to set up the world’s third-largest IKEA regional distribution and supply chain centre after IKEA Chicago, USA and IKEA Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Acted for the subsidiary of Biocon S.A. and Biocon Limited, Biocon Sdn Bhd, in its acquisition of an industrial land measuring approximately 3.045 hectares in Bio-XCell Biotechnology Park in Johor from Malaysian Bio-XCell Sdn Bhd (Receiver and Manager Appointed).
Azmi & Associates has well-established expertise in real estate and construction and engineering sectors. It advises on the purchase and sale of real estate together with financing structures. On the construction front it provides expertise on the structuring of projects, drafting construction contracts, providing advice on procurement, and related insurance matters. Zuhaidi Mohd Shahari heads the practice.
Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff
Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff represents private individuals, major developers, corporations and foreign and local investors on residential, commercial and industrial developments as well as acquisitions and divestments. Chooi Mun Sou leads the team and is the key contact at the firm.
Gan Partnership is a boutique dispute resolution practice with particular strength in construction disputes. Co-founder of the firm Foo Joon Liang heads up the team and provides expertise on litigation, arbitration and adjudication of construction matters. He has worked on engineering and geotechnical disputes such as failures and collapses. Also of note is Tan Min Lee who has represented developers, contractors and subcontractors in construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
Bina Puri Group of Companies
Sunway Group of Companies
Mah Sing Group Berhad
Hap Seng Land Bhd
OSK Properties Bhd
Masenang Sdn Bhd
NIWG Group of Companies
Tuck Sin Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd
Accolade Land Sdn Bhd
Zelan Construction Sdn Bhd
- Representing AIAC and its former director in a challenge against the constitutionality of statutory adjudication in Malaysia and the challenge of his directorship.
- Representing Tuck Sin Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd in a series of disputes arising from the collapse of a bridge which involved leading engineering experts from Europe and Asia.
- Representing CT Indah Construction Sdn Bhd in a dispute before the appellate court involving a significant legal remedy for the construction industry under the Construction Industry and Payment Adjudication Act 2012.