Corporate and M&A in Malaysia
The corporate team at Christopher & Lee Ong attracts praise for its 'quick response times' and 'strong commercially driven mindset'. It benefits from the ability to field a cross-departmental team – including technology, infrastructure, energy, and shipping sector experts, and competition law specialists – and, as a member firm, it is able to leverage the full-service legal network of Rajah & Tann Asia in complex domestic and cross-border transactions. Key names to note include managing partner Yon See Ting, who handles a range of corporate transactions; KuokYew Chen, who frequently assists private equity funds, corporate advisory firms and consultancies; Yau Yee Ming, who has particular experience across the IT, telecoms, logistics and engineering oil and gas and retail sectors; M&A, capital markets, corporate commercial advisory lawyer Kimberly Goh; and 'strong technical knowledge and an effective problem solver' Tracy Wong.
Yon See Ting; Kuok Yew Chen; Yau Yee Ming
‘Tracy Wong manages the M&A transaction process seamlessly.’
‘Christopher & Lee Ong is willing to go the extra mile has a strong commercially driven mindset.’
‘Offering thoroughness of knowledge and insightful advice along with a practical, business-oriented approach.‘
‘CLO’s team is very up to date with M&A rules and practices. They do not only provide sound legal advice but also good business counsel. They are dependable. Not being from Malaysia myself, I appreciate their insights in the Malaysian market.‘
‘They understand the different business structures and potential tax implications.‘
‘They are responsive and attentive to the client’s needs and provide practical legal advice and solutions.‘
‘Combines excellent client management skills and cost management with an excellent firm set up with the depth of the team, international network and excellent industry and legal knowledge.‘
‘Yon See Ting is adept in dealing with demanding clients and being well prepared in dealing with the situation. She epitomises the tagline ‘lawyers who know Asia’.‘
‘See Ting Yon is very professional and dependable. She goes the extra mile in meeting our requirements and she provides valuable business insights on the investment and regulatory climate. She generates trust.‘
Top Glove Corporation Bhd
Mustika Manis Sdn. Bhd.
Regent Wise Investments Limited
Ireka Corporation Berhad
Navis Capital Partners
Akzo Nobel Paints (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Inter Mark Resources Sdn Bhd
Dymon Asia Private Equity
- Acted for Double-V Series and TAP Crunch Sdn in the sale of the entire share capital of Munchy Food Industries to CVC Capital Partners.
- Advised a Singapore-listed company that specialises in the development and distribution of premium skincare, personal care, nutritional and wellness products on its competitive bid for the acquisition of shares in Alliance Cosmetics Group International.
- Assisted Inter Mark Resources with its 100% share capital of A&W Malaysia Sdn Bhd (which operates a popular and one of the oldest US-based franchise fast-food restaurant chain in Malaysia, known as A&W) from Restoran Kualiti Sdn Bhd.
- Acted for CITIC Capital Partners Management Limited and Fountainvest Partners on its acquisition of a 33% stake in China Merchants Loscam (Loscam), a leading pallet and other returnable packaging pooling solutions provider.
- Assisted multinational paper manufacturer Delfort AG with its entrance into the Malaysian market by was on an acquisition of a stake in the Benkert group of companies.
The M&A practice at Rahmat Lim & Partners counts both domestic and international public and private organisations and financial institutions among its client roster, which is assists with a full range of corporate transactions. Moy Pui Yee – who attracts praise for her 'excellent commercial judgement and negotiation skills' – heads up the group which includes Ang Sinn E, Chen Lee Won and Ho Wei Lih, the latter of whom heads up the China practice group and frequently assists on inbound transactions from China and Hong Kong. The M&A team is also able to leverage the firm's strong financial services and banking sector expertise which is a particular focus for Chia Chee Hoong. Recently promoted partner Chan Weili has experience across a range of sectors, including aviation.
Moy Pui Yee
‘Rahmat Lim’s corporate M&A team provided excellent, responsive service with great turnaround times and very calm work under pressure.‘
‘Ms Chen Lee Won is so so good and quick to counter requests by buyer to the advantage of me , the seller to ensure I get the best and non compromising in an amicable manner.‘
‘I can be rest assured knowing Chen Lee Won and her team are on my file.‘
‘Chee Hoong was extremely knowledgeable on all the specific matters from clearing house requirements through to overseas restrictions.‘
‘Chee Hoong was one of the most accessible partners I have ever dealt with, even when presented with a complicated issue he would require minimal time to prepare and then immediately propose to jump on a call with us to advise accordingly.‘
‘The team has good bench strength with some talented associates and drew on great expertise from other areas within the firm, particularly antitrust. Great value for money.‘
‘Moy Pui Yee brought outstanding experience, gravitas and a market-leading profile to the transaction.‘
‘Moy Pui Yee has a terrific profile within the Malaysian business and legal community.‘
- Acted for Mitsui & Co on the SG$2.7bn acquisition of approximately 16% of the shares in the enlarged share capital of IHH Healthcare Berhad.
- Assisted Sarawak State Financial Secretary with its US$640m acquisition of 15% shareholding in Malaysia LNG from Shell Gas Holdings (Malaysia).
- Advised Sarawak State Financial Secretary on the US$105m 10% shareholding in PETRONAS LNG 9 Sdn. Bhd. from Petroliam Nasional Berhad.
- Advised GP Network Asia on its joint venture with Maybank Alliances.
- Assisted Razer Inc with its acquisition of MOL Global by way of a statutory merger.
Shearn Delamore & Co has experience across the full spectrum of domestic and international inbound corporate and M&A transactions. Leveraging its international network memberships and contacts, the group has an impressive client roster of companies investing into Malaysia; while investment from US and European clients has slowed the group benefits from inbound instructions from South Korea and, increasingly, from China and Hong Kong. Grace Yeoh heads the practice and has a breadth of experience across corporate and M&A transactions, regulatory compliance advice and corporate governance. Other names to note include Ng Swee Kee, Nicholas Tan Choi Chuan and Marhaini Nordin.
‘Very responsive. The answers are clear and sufficiently detailed.‘
‘Nicholas Tan Choi Chuan is relatively young, but still has a sufficient knowledge especially in the M&A area.‘
Cainiao Logistics Group, a subsidiary of Alibaba
Korea National Oil Corporation (KNOC)
Nine Dragons Paper (Holdings) Limited
HNA Group Co
Saudi Aramco (Saudi)
CRRC Urban Traffic (Europe) Co Ltd
CRRC Urban Traffic (Hongkong) Company Limited
Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co
DKSH Holdings (Malaysia) Berhad
Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad
MMC Corporation Berhad
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- Advising Delivery Hero SE group on its joint venture with QSR Brands (M) Holdings Bhd relating to the on-demand delivery service provider Foodpanda.
- Acted for DKSH Holdings (Malaysia) on its acquisition of the entire equity interest in Auric Pacific (M) Sdn Bhd from Auric Pacific Group Limited.
- Acted for Scientex on its acquisition of approximately 42.41% of the equity interest of Daibochi Berhad from certain shareholders of Daibochi.
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation on its US$20m investment in Axiata Digital Advertising.
- Assisted Nine Dragons Paper with its joint venture with a Malaysian paper manufacturing company, Singa Trading.
Skrine is frequently instructed on cross-border transactions by both international clients and Malaysian corporates and is particularly known for its expertise in insurance sector M&A and energy industry transactions. Practice head Theresa Chong has expertise spanning a range of corporate advisory, M&A, real estate and banking and finance transactions, while Fariz Abdul Aziz focuses on transactions in the oil and gas sector, Chew Soon Quay has particular insurance sector expertise, and Sheba Gumis is noted for work in the hospitality, healthcare and education sectors. Another name to note is Janet Looi, who handles a range of M&A, corporate governance, and regulatory matters.
‘The team is very competent and knowledgeable. Being able to understand the business in addition to the law and regulation itself made the team stand out as compared to other firms.’
‘The team is very committed and diligent. The services provided has always been timely and are of high quality.’
‘The team has in-depth knowledge of the process of a take-over, and what is expected from a legal counsel. This helps the team to think along with the client on a practical approach of various difficulties within the process.‘
‘The team is very responsive and very knowledgeable in their sector space (we dealt with them on insurance M&A). I have found them superior to other firms in both respects.‘
‘Chew Soon Quay and Addy Herg are both excellent – they give good advice, are both knowledgable and practical and respond very quickly to matters.‘
Murphy Oil Corporation
Key Safety Systems Inc
Carlyle International Energy Partners
Golden Springs Group
Jingtian Gongcheng (China)
Zurich General Insurance Berhad
The Longreach Group Inc (through Mori Hamada & Matsumoto, Japan)
Navis Asia VII Management Company Limited
Ekuiti Nasional Berhad
Hogan Lovells London (Instructed by Luxaviation Group)
New Forests Asset Management (through its subsidiary Hijauan Bengkoka Plantations Sdn. Bhd.)
Zurich General Takaful Malaysia Berhad
Syarikat Takaful Malaysia Keluarga Berhad
Norton Rose Fulbright (for HSBC)
Nichirei Logistics Group Inc. (Japan)
Levine Leichtman Capital Partners (as instructed by NautaDutilh N.V.)
Reckitt Benckiser Group
- Advised Murphy Oil Corporation on its US$2.13bn sale of its entire Malaysian portfolio to Thailand’s PTT Exploration and Production Plc.
- Assisted Carlyle International Energy Partners with on Malaysian law aspect of its purchase of a strategic stake in Compañia Española de Petróleos.
- Advising LafargeHolcim on its RM1.625bn sale of a 51% stake in Lafarge Malaysia, Malaysia’s largest cement producer, to YTL Corporation Berhad.
- Instructed by The Longreach Group to advise on Malaysian aspects of its tender offer as part of its plans to acquire a majority stake in Fujitsu Component Limited.
- Acted for Ekuiti Nasional Berhad on the sale of its 60% stake held in Tranglo Sdn Bhd to TNG FinTech Group Inc.
As a Baker Mckenzie member firm, Wong & Partners benefits from the ability to leverage the firm's international network in cross-border M&A and has particular expertise in advising large multinational corporates and investment funds. The team also boasts particular expertise across numerous sectors including financial services, consumer goods and services, technology and manufacturing. Practice head Brian Chia is a key name to note for his financial services and insurance sector specialism, while Andre Gan has particular experience in the financial sector and education. Other names to note include Munir Abdul Aziz, whose impressive client roster includes global and regional multinational companies and Malaysian blue-chip companies, and Sue Wan Wong, who is highlighted for her ability to handle transactions in highly regulated industries such as financial services, insurance, and fintech.
‘They are knowledgeable, responsive, provide solutions, are polite and have good business acumen.‘
‘They are calm and collected under pressure, and up to date with latest development in the industry and the company.’
‘As a venture capital investing firm, we’re always looking for lawyers that understand our risk appetite, can identify what’s material against what’s nice to have, can provide legally creative solutions, and can move fast. Wong & Partners has all of these strengths.‘
‘Brian Chia is pragmatic, extremely responsive, and checks in regularly to have process-driven conversations about how they can optimize workflows, what his team can do better and if we are in need of specific training needs.‘
S P Setia Berhad
Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad
China Galaxy International Financial Holdings Limited
Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ
Paramount Corporation Bhd.
Affinity Equity Partners
Ekuiti Nasional Berhad
Navis Capital Partners
- Advised Tianshui Huatian Technology on the MYR1.4bn takeover of Unisem Berhad.
- Advised Press Metal Aluminium Holdings Bhd on its acquisition of a 50% stake in Japan Alumina Associates (Australia) Pty Ltd.
- Assisted Maybank Asset Management Group Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malayan Banking Bhd, with its MYR 51m acquisition of a 100% stake in Amanah Mutual Bhd.
- Advised Maybank Asset Management Group on its MYR 51m acquisition of a 100% stake in Amanah Mutual Bhd.
- Advised Paramount Corporation Berhad in connection with its strategic partnership with Australian public university, University of Wollongong.
The corporate an M&A team at Adnan Sundra & Low counts a range of multinational and domestic companies among its client roster and is also complemented by the firm's strong banking and finance and capital markets practices. The team has recently been particularly active in the oil and gas sector, with its clients including PTT Exploration and Production Public Company which it advised on the acquisition of Murphy Oil Corporation’s two Malaysian subsidiaries, Murphy Sabah Oil Co and Murphy Sarawak Oil Co. The group is jointly led by capital markets expert Adrian Chee; Chin Chin Wong, who has experience advising on a full range of corporate matters; Tracy Ng, who combines corporate, M&A and finance expertise; and corporate and projects partner Adrian Chair.
Adrian Chee Meng Yang; Wong Chi Chin; Tracy Ng Tsu Ynn
- Advised PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Ltd on its acquisition of Murphy Oil Corporation’s oil and gas assets in Malaysia.
- Advised Ekovest Capital on a hotel development and management arrangement with Meliá Hotels International for Melia to operate EkoCheras Hotel Suites, which will be known as INNSIDE Kuala Lumpur Cheras.
- Acted for Puncak Niaga Holdings on the RM210m acquisition of the TRIplc Group from Pimpinan Ehsan Berhad.
- Assisted Prudential BSN Takaful on the transfer of its general takaful business to Syarikat Takaful Malaysia.
- Is instructed by MyHSR Corporation Sdn Bhd and the Land Transport Authority of Singapore to advise on the Kuala Lumpur to Singapore High-Speed Rail project, which is currently postponed.
Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff's corporate and M&A team has been active in advising on foreign direct investments into Malaysia, as well as on the Malaysian aspects of international transactions. Chooi Mun Sou, who has a breadth of experience in cross-border instructions, and corporate and securities expert Tan Ming-li jointly lead the practice. The group continues to benefit from increased strength in depth following the merger of legacy firms Chooi & Company and Cheang & Arif in June 2018, and has further grown its partner ranks with the promotion of Tiu Gi Gyn, who focuses on advising on foreign direct investments into Malaysia.
Mun Sou Chooi; Ming-li Tan
Other key lawyers:
Bio Osmo Berhad
Halex Holdings Berhad
ImpackOne Sdn Bhd
KA Petra Sdn Bhd
CBL (Asia) Ltd)
Daiman Development Berhad
South East Asia Auto Parts Sdn Bhd
- Advised the major shareholders of Daiman on the acquisition of all remaining shares via a selective capital reduction process under the Malaysian Takeovers Mergers and Acquisitions Code.
- Advised IGB Group Berhad on the takeover offer by Goldis Berhad.
- Acted for Bio Osmo Berhad on several acquisitions including that of in Impiana Hotels & Resorts Management and Astaka Mekar.
Kadir Andri & Partners' corporate and M&A team handles a full range of corporate transactions for its impressive client roster which includes large Malaysian corporates such as Maybank Group, Petronas and Maxis Group, as well as foreign direct investors. Practice head Tan Kong Yam's expertise spans M&A, capital markets, financial services advisory, and corporate real property, while Samuel Hong focuses on corporate and commercial matters.
Tan Kong Yam
Other key lawyers:
Bumi Armada Berhad
Sime Darby Berhad
Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad
CVC Asia Pacific
- Acted for CVC Asia Pacific on its acquisition of Munchy Food Industries Sdn Bhd.
- Acting for DRB-Hicom Berhad on its proposed disposal of property and hospitality assets.
- Advised Thomson Reuters on the disposal of its majority stake in its financial and risk business to Blackstone Capital.
- Assisted II-VI Incorporated with its merger with Finisar Corporation.
- Acted for Aboitiz Equity Ventures Inc on its acquisition of a majority stake in Gold Coin Management Holdings.
Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill's 'solution-oriented' corporate and M&A team counts large Malaysian corporates, including Sapura Energy and UEM Sunrise, as well as international companies with activities, or establishing interests, in Malaysia. It has experience across a breadth of sectors and has recently seen an uptick of work in the infrastructure and insurance sectors. Practice head Tay Hwee handles a full range of corporate and commercial transactions, while Ooi Bee Hong focuses on foreign direct investment into Malaysia. Raphael Tay, who joined the team from Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff, brings a breadth of corporate experience and has recently been particularly active in the fintech sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘They’re good and practical in their approach towards giving advice and representing the client.’
AICA Asia Pacific Holding Pte. Ltd
UEM Sunrise Berhad
Sapura Energy Berhad
Serba Dinamik Holdings Berhad
Koh Brothers Group Limited
WCE Holdings Berhad
Intelek Ceria Sdn Bhd
Owens & Minor
HSS Engineers Berhad
- Advised Sapura Energy Berhad on its joint venture with OMV Aktiengesellschaft to hold the entire equity interest of Sapura Upstream Sdn Bhd.
- Assisted Intelek Ceria with its proposed takeover of the management and operations of Pusat Hemodialisis Mawar (“PHM”), a non-profit specialist medical centre which owns fourteen dialysis centres across Malaysia.
- Acted for Serba Dinamik, through its subsidiary Serba Dinamik IT Solutions Sdn Bhd, on its acquisition of eNoah iSolution India Pvt.
With an impressive client roster spanning local entrepreneurs and multi-national conglomerates, the corporate and M&A at Mah-Kamariyah & Philip Koh handles a full range of corporate transactions and benefits from the firm's complementary strength in equity capital markets. The group is jointly led by Adrian Koh, who has experience across a range of corporate, M&A and capital markets transactions, and Philip Koh who focuses primarily of corporate and M&A.
Philip TN Koh; Adrian Koh
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
Astramina Advisory Sdn Bhd
BGMC International Limited
Boh Plantation Sdn Bhd
Dialog Group Berhad
Eastern & Oriental Berhad
Hong Leong Investment Bank
IOI Corporation Berhad
IOI Properties Group Berhad
Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Sdn Bhd
Kerjaya Prospek Berhad
Kian Joo Can Factory Berhad
LBS Bina Group Berhad
Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
Mercury Securities Sdn Bhd
Mulpha International Bhd
Nirvana Asia Ltd
OSK Holdings Group
RHB Investment Bank Berhad
Rohas Tecnic Berhad
Sunway Construction Group Berhad
Tropicana Corporation Berhad
WCT Holdings Berhad
- Advised Can-One Berhad on its disposal of the entire share capital of F & B Nutrition Sdn Bhd via the disposal of Can Ridge Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Can-One, to Wholesome Dairies Pte Ltd.
- Assisted IOI Corporation Berhad with its sale of 70% of IOIC’s equity interest held in Loders Croklaan Group to Koninklijke Bunge.
- Acted for Ekovest Berhad on its conditional voluntary take-over offer to acquire all the offer shares in Iskandar Waterfront City.
The corporate team at Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law) handles a range of M&A transactions, joint ventures and shareholders’ arrangements, corporate advisory matters, as well as leveraging the banking and finance and capital markets teams in corporate restructuring and insolvency. Managing partner Gilbert Gan heads the corporate finance and securities department, while Ahmad Zulkharnain Musa and Idahani Ismas Ismail – who has particular experience across the financial institutions, automotive, logistics, education and manufacturing sectors – jointly head the corporate and commercial practice group. Other names to note include consultant Chua Wei Min, who frequently advises on legal and compliance issues in foreign direct investment, and Jonathan Lim, who joined from KDJLaw and has particular experience advising private equity and fintech sector clients.
Gilbert Gan; Ahmad Zulkharnain Musa; Idahani Ismas Ismail
CIMB Group Holdings Berhad
Air Asia Berhad
International School Partnership Limited
Bank of Nova Scotia
Tanah Makmur Berhad
Serba Dinamik Berhad
Ernst & Young Advisory Services Sdn Bhdg
- Advising Malaysian Bulk Carriers, a company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad, regarding its proposed disposal of its 21.23% stakes in Singapore-listed PACC Offshore Service Holdings Ltd via a proposed renounceable restricted offer for sale to Maybulk’s shareholders.
- Advised Kronologi Asia Berhad on its RM75m acquisition of a Singapore incorporated company.
- Assisting Al Rajhi Bank with its potential merger with Malaysian Industrial Development Finance Bhd.
The corporate and commercial team at Zain & Co assists its impressive client roster, which includes domestic corporations and government-linked companies, with a range of corporate and commercial transactions. The group continues to benefit from its combination with Dentons in September 2018 with increased access to international clients and instructions in regional aspects of cross-border M&A. Practice head Salwah Abdul Shukor's breadth of experience spans M&A, capital markets and intellectual property matters, while Pauline Ngiam focuses on corporate transactions, and Rebecca Jeyanthi Selvaraj assists with corporate and commercial matters and employment advice.
Salwah Abdul Shukor
Other key lawyers:
Pauline Ngiam; Rebecca Jeyanthi
Permodalan Nasional Berhad
Projek Lintasan Kota Holdings Sdn Bhd
Ekuiti Nasional Berhad
- Advised a private equity firm on the disposal of subsidiaries by one of its investee companies.
- Advised a private equity firm on the proposed acquisition of an equity stake in a target group, consisting of entities which are primarily engaged in manufacturing and distribution of speciality chemical products mainly for industrial, institutional and food segments.
- Assisted Base FX with a feasibility assessment for their next Asian expansion facility. This included providing industry intelligence and advisory on film post-production benefits and policies which ended up securing the vote in favour of Malaysia.
The corporate and M&A practice at Abdullah Chan & Co has experience across a range of corporate transactions and advice across corporate finance, capital markets, real estate and regulatory matters. Practice head Vincent Chan is experienced across the oil and gas, energy, plantation and financial services sectors while Hui Lu Yap has particular expertise in real estate, banking and financial services and foreign investment sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Yap Hui Lu
The 'skilful and committed' team at Albar & Partners attracts praise for its 'commercial mindset' and is instructed in a range of high-profile domestic transactions. Lily Chea Li Tan heads up the practice and has experience assisting across a range corporate transactions; other names to note include Natalie Suan Wan Peh who 'gives timely, clear and practical advice and is able to identify and deal with potential hurdles and issues early on', and Hooi Ping Seet, who splits her time between corporate and financing matters.
Lily Tan Chea Li
‘Albar & Partners’ worked seamlessly between the corporate and litigation departments. We were confident in the knowledge that the most experienced partner and team acted for us on each aspect of our transaction, whilst at the same time we were able to liaise with one partner for the overall conduct of the matter.’
‘The lawyers were intelligent and resourceful, and provided prompt and reliable advice.‘
‘Natalie Peh is outstanding at what she does; she is pro-active, competent and has a good grasp of the intricacies of the transaction.‘
Boustead Plantations Berhad
Duopharma Biotech Berhad
FGV Holdings Berhad
Kumpulan Perangsang Selangor Berhad
Malakoff Corporation Berhad
Malaysia Building Society Berhad
Leong Hup International Berhad
Symphony House Berhad
- Acted for Syarikat Pengeluar Air Selangor Holdings in the proposed disposal of its entire equity interest and redeemable unsecured loan stocks of its subsidiary, Syarikat Pengeluar Air Selangor Sdn Bhd to Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd.
- Acted for Malaysia Building Society in its merger with Asian Finance Bank Berhad.
- Assisting Kumpulan Perangsang Selangor (KPS) with the acquisition of Toyoplas Manufacturing (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd by Perangsang Dinamik Sdn Bhd, the wholly-owned subsidiary of KPS, from Toyoplas Consolidated Limited.
- Acted for Symphony House Sdn Bhd in the disposal of Symphony Corporatehouse, Symphony Share Registrars, and Malaysian Issuing House (Target Companies) to Board Room.
- Acted for WZ Satu in the acquisition of the entire ordinary equity interest of Cekap Semenanjung Sdn Bhd.
The corporate and M&A team at Azmi & Associates is instructed by a range of local and international companies and government-owned entities in transactions, and recently assisted Groupe Lactalis on its acquisition of Nestle’s Chilled Dairy Business. Practice head Azmi Mohd Ali has a breadth of experience across a full range of corporate transactions.
Azmi Mohd Ali
- Advised Groupe Lactalis on its acquisition of Nestle’s Chilled Dairy Business and Manufacturing Business in Malaysia.
- Advised Steris Plc on its acquisition of a Malaysian company that is involved in sterilization business.
- Advised Kobe Welding (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd on its acquisition of welding consumable business from Linde Malaysia Sdn Bhd together with associated intellectual properties.
- Advised BPMB on its proposed transfer of the business to its subsidiaries.
- Acted for QSR Brands (M) Holdings on a joint venture arrangement with four Foodpanda-related entities based in Germany and Malaysia.
The corporate team Jeff Leong, Poon & Wong assists its impressive client roster, which ranges from some the largest domestic Malaysian companies to start-ups and entrepreneurs, across a range of M&A transactions and corporate governance issues. The group has particular strength across sectors including banking and financial services, real estate, industrials and manufacturing and logistics. The team is jointly led by corporate and capital markets expert Jeff Leong; Kenny Poon, who frequently acts for financial institutions; and James Wong who has recently been particularly active in the real estate sector.
Jeff Leong; Kenny Poon; James Wong
Selangor Properties Berhad
MAA Group Berhad
Certain Shareholders of Daibochi Berhad
Dentons Nantong China
TF AMD Microelectronics Sdn Bhd
Knit Textile Mfg Sdn Bhd
Lereno Bio-Chem Ltd
- Advised on the takeover and privatisation of Selangor Properties Berhad.
- Assisting MAA Group Berhad with a selective capital reduction exercise, which will result in the major shareholders holding 100% of the share capital of the client upon completion of the matter.
- Advised Daibochi on the conditional mandatory take-over offer by Scientex Berhad.
Attracting praise for 'speed of responses and client-centric attitude', Mohamed Ridza & Co's corporate team is instructed by both domestic and foreign clients in a range of corporate transactions, with particular experience advising on joint venture arrangements. Managing partner Mohamed Ridza Abdullah handles a range of instructions, and has particular expertise in the IT sector, while Mohamed Nazran Basirun has particular experience advising Labuan-based investment banks, and Sharifah Shafika Alsagoff combines corporate and Islamic finance expertise.
Mohamed Ridza Abdullah; Mohamad Nazran Basirun; Sharifah Shafika Alsagoff
‘They have a very good oil and gas practice and in the intersection, with regulatory and policy practice they had given us prompt advice.‘
- Advised Lembaga Tabung Haji on the proposed transfer of underperforming assets worth MYR19.9bn to a special purpose vehicle owned by the Ministry of Finance, Malaysia.
- Assisting Majlis Amanah Rakyat with several matters including advising on a restructuring exercise and reviewing, vetting and amending the share swap agreement.
The corporate and securities department at boutique firm Murad Yee Partnership, has experience advising on Malaysian aspects of international deals and as well as domestic transactions. In recent transactions, it advised a subsidiary of Hibiscus Petroleum Berhad in a $37.5m acquisition of interests in various production licences in the UK Continental Shelf, and assisted a development company with its proposed joint venture with a government-linked company for a development project with an estimated value of RM1bn. The group is led by Yee Fook Weng, whose experience spans M&A, corporate restructuring, private equity and capital markets transactions.
Yee Fook Weng
‘Murad Yee Partnership is professionally sound, deep knowledge and dynamic in their understanding of issues, challenges and adaptation to market and client needs compared to other firms that are in similar scope or offering.‘
‘Murad Yee Partnership has very diligent, friendly, responsive and adaptive individuals that are multi-talented, knowledge and able to work with their customers quickly.‘
Hibiscus Petroleum Berhad
N2W Corporation Sdn Bhd
- Advised Hibiscus Petroleum Berhad on its $37.5m acquisition of interests in various production licences in the UK Continental Shelf.
- Acted for the development company in relation to its proposed major joint venture with a government-linked company for the development of a new township.
- Acting as legal advisor to N2W, a wholly-owned subsidiary of a major state-owned statutory body, in relation to a collaboration with public university.
- Assisted an investor in a strategic cross-border investment in the United States.
- Acting as the Malaysian counsel for the client in relation to the proposed disposal of a company principally engaged in the organic food industry.
The corporate and M&A team at Naqiz & Partners has recently been particularly active in advising Malaysian private equity and venture capital funds on domestic investments. Managing partner Khairul Ismail heads up the practice and has experience spanning M&As, capital markets, projects and infrastructure, and financing mandates.
Datuk Khairul Ismail
- Acting for Khazanah Nasional on a proposed investment in an e-commerce company.
- Advising Areca Capital on the proposed investment in AGB Properties.
- Assisting Areca Capital with a proposed joint venture with Newvest Recoveries.
- Advising Areca Capital on the proposed investment in Carey Island Waterfront Sdn Bhd, by way of a two-year project financing of up to RM20m from a wholesale fund.
- Acting for OSK Ventures International on the proposed investment in Gogobli Holdings.
The corporate and M&A team at Peter Ling & van Geyzel is frequently instructed by investment holding companies to advise on domestic acquisitions and divestments, and has recently been particularly active on transactions in the technology and healthcare sectors. Practice head Peter Ling has experience in a range of corporate, commercial and M&A transactions, including capital reduction exercises.
Skh Consortium Berhad
Prg Holdings Berhad
Sterling Progress Berhad
- Acted for SKH Consortium Berhad on its RM12m acquisition of Rimbungan Gabungan Sdn Bhd.
- Advised PRG Holdings berhad on its RM4m acquisition of SP Chin Healthcare.
- Assisted Sinmah Capital Berhad with its acquisition and diversification into healthcare.
- Advised Sersol Berhad on its capital reduction exercise.
- Advised Appasia Berhad on its capital reduction exercise.
The corporate and commercial team at Raja, Darryl & Loh counts a range of domestic and large international clients among its client roster, and has experience advising on Malaysian aspects of high-profile cross-border transactions. It has a breadth of experience across a range of sectors and has recently been particularly active in the technology, telecoms, pharmaceuticals and healthcare industries. Managing partner Chew Phye Keat heads up the team and has particular IT sector expertise. Chu Wei Tai is a key name to note for global M&A mandates.
Chew Phye Keat
Other key lawyers:
Tai Chu Wei
Silverlake Group (Silverlake Axis Ltd)
D&O Green Technologies Berhad
Hotel Royal Limited, Singapore
Cloudaron Group Berhad
Eli Lilly and Company
MAA Group Berhad
Chemical Company of Malaysia Berhad
Affin Investment Bank Berhad
Heineken Malaysia Berhad
- Acted for Silverlake Axis on the €12.6m acquisition of 80% of the equity interest in SIA X Infotech Group.
- Advised Hotel Royal Limited on the RM197m acquisition of Royale Chulan Bukit Bintang Hotel.
- Assisted Micro Focus International with its corporate structure simplification and integration process in Malaysia.
- Advised SAP SE on the integration of Callidus Software into its Malaysian operations following the Callidus global acquisition.
- Advised Bayer AG on its integration of Monsanto companies and their assets into Bayer Malaysia and later on possibly winding-up surplus Monsanto entities.
The corporate and commercial team at Tay & Partners has expertise across the full range of M&A matters, with experience in both domestic transactions and local aspects of international deals. It also benefits from the firm's full-service offering which it leverages to assist with intellectual property, dispute resolutions, competition and data privacy aspects of deals. Key names to note include Wai Sum Teo, who has experience in corporate, commercial and capital markets mandates, and Hong Yun Chang, who counts real estate, energy, and infrastructure among his sector specialisms.
DXC Technology Company
Priceworth International Berhad
Tricor Services (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
PPB Group Berhad
- Advised DXC Technology on its RM2.8m acquisition of Sime Darby Global Services Centre Sdn Bhd.
- Acted for Air Asia Group on Malaysian aspects of its disposal of 25 aircraft to Castlelake.
- Acting for Priceworth International on its RM260m acquisition of a timber concession.
- Acted for Tricor Services (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd in its acquisition of the entire equity interest in CPT Holding Ltd.
- Assisted PPB Group Berhad with its acquisition of 16.8% stake in property developer Hillcrest Gardens Sdn Bhd.
Corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions specialist firm Wong Beh & Toh combines its strength in corporate and M&A transactions with expertise in equity capital markets to assist its client roster of domestic Malaysian companies. The team is spread across its two offices and includes Cynthia Toh and Yeap Lin Lin, who are based in Kuala Lumpur and Sungei Petani respectively.
Oceancash Pacific Berhad
Cab Cakaran Corporation Berhad
Mi Equipment Holdings Berhad
Mms Ventures Berhad
Pentamaster Corporation Berhad
Asia Knight Berhad (Now Known As Rgt Berhad)
Tt Vision Holdings Berhad
Nova Wellness Group Berhad
Ghl Systems Berhad
- Acted for S Capital Sdn on its RM80m acquisition of Paysys (M).
- Advising AWC Berhad on the the proposed acquisition of of 60% equity interest in Trackwork & Supplies Sdn Bhd.
- Advised Swift Haulage on due diligence aspects of its acquisition of shares in Agenda Wira.
- Advising Asia Knight on several matters including its proposed capital reduction and proposed acquisition of a 60% equity interest in Rapid Growth Technology.
- Instructed by Hap Seng Consolidated Berhad to advise on the disposal of HSC Sydney Holding Limited by HSC International Limited (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hap Seng Consolidated Berhad) to Lei Shing Hong Capital Limited.
The 'responsive' corporate and M&A team at Zul Rafique & Partners has experience assisting local and international clients on a range of transactional, restructuring, commercial and regulatory aspects of deals. The group is praised for having 'good lawyers who really understand the local environment', such as the 'very knowledgeable' Jerry Ong, who 'gives practical advice', and heads up the team alongside corporate finance expert David Lee Lai Huat.
Jerry Ong; David Lee Lai Huat
‘Sound knowledge of the law coupled with commercial savvy and an extremely responsive team make this team a no-brainer when it comes to deciding who to engage for M&A matters with extreme time sensitivities.‘
‘Jerry Ong has always been helpful, even within very tight timelines.’
‘Jerry Ong stands out among his partners, offering extremely quick turnaround times and a deep appreciation of the commercial sensitivities in the transaction.‘
Sapura Industrial Berhad
KSK Group Berhad
RSD Hospital Sdn Bhd
- Advised Sapura Industrial Berhad on its joint venture with Wada Aircraft Technology Co. Ltd and Aero Inc.
KDJLaw's corporate and commercial practice counts media and entertainment, technology, banking and finance, education and healthcare among its sector specialisms, and has experience assisting local and international clients with a range of corporate transaction and advisory matters. Jeremiah Gurusamy, who combines corporate, commercial, employment, and banking and finance expertise, heads the team alongside Mike Lee Seang Yik, who as well as acting on corporate and commercial matters advises on data protection compliance. Former joint practice head, Jonathan Lim, left the practice to Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law).
Jeremiah Gurusamy; Mike Lee Seang Yik
‘Availability and flexibility of time to attend or address critical legal issues, providing legal opinions at short notice.‘
‘The team takes pride in delivering quality work within strict deadlines whilst ensuring that the organisation’s interest is protected.‘
‘Mike Lee Seang Yik always given his utmost dedication and effort in understanding the business and providing creative solutions on addressing matters at hand.‘
Stampede Solution Sdn Bhd
Primekeeper Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Chain Net Sdn Bhd
Global Network Inc.
Esprat Sdn Bhd
Telcoin Pte. Ltd.
Asiamet (M) Sdn Bhd
MUFG Bank (Malaysia) Berhad (formerly known as Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (Malaysia) Berhad)
Involve Asia Technologies Sdn Bhd
- Advised Nike on issues relating to the legality of accepting delivery of retail outlet and carrying out fit-out works at commercial properties in the absence of the certificate of completion and compliance which are crucial in their business operation in Malaysia.
- Acted for the shareholders of GSSB on Malaysian aspects of its sale of the entire issued share capital of GSSB and Esprat Pty Ltd.
- Advised fintech company Primekeeper on various funding agreements to facilitate the funding of RM10m provided by a prominent venture capital firm.
Boutique corporate and commercial firm Lim Jo Yan & Co advises on mid-market transactions and is a popular choice for foreign law firms, thanks to its particular experience advising on incoming investment from Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong. 'Highly responsive and commercial' practice head Lim Jo Yan focuses on advising foreign firms as well as Japanese companies on inbound transactions.
Lim Jo Yan
‘LJY consistently punches above its weight and impresses with their high-quality solutions-focused advice and first-class service.‘
‘Lim Jo Yan & Co provides the top-level legal service with more haste. The team is staffed with professionals with expertise and deep knowledge of the market.‘
‘Lim Jo Yan is extremely sharp, very user-friendly, and understands clients’ commercial objectives.‘
‘Jo Yan is nimble, a natural problem solver and a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Associate Huei Wen Teoh is bright and works tirelessly for her clients.‘
‘Lim Jo Yan is the star of the team. He gives concise, well organized and right-on legal advice.‘
‘Lim Jo Yan is extremely sharp, very user-friendly, and understands clients’ commercial objectives. Jo Yan is nimble, a natural problem solver and a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Associate Huei Wen Teoh is bright and works tirelessly for her clients.‘
‘Jo Yan definitely stands out. His advice is to the point and sensible.‘
1337 Ventures Sdn Bhd
5X Capital Sdn Bhd
Ajinomoto (Malaysia) Berhad
Annica Holdings Limited
Azimuth Global Partners
BE International Marketing Sdn Bhd
Big Apple Interasia Sdn Bhd
Grant Thornton Malaysia
JCL Credit Leasing Sdn Bhd
L’Oreal Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Marco Polo Marine Limited
Mister Minit Malaysia Sdn Bhd
MoneyMatch Sdn Bhd
Navis Capital Partners
Sangkaya (M) Sdn Bhd
Stihl Service Centre Southeast Asia Sdn Bhd
- Assisted Mister Minit (Singapore) Pte with its acquisitions of multiple small businesses for approximately RM400,000 per acquisition.
- Advised Annica Holdings on the sale of its 70% shareholding in GPE Power Systems.
- Advised a Japanese business card contact management company on the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act 2010.
The corporate and commercial team at Sedgley & Co has a strong reputation in infrastructure projects and is often instructed by clients in the construction, real estate and hospitality sectors. It has also recently been active in the start-up space, both in acting for emerging companies and venture capital funds. Practice head Iain Sedgley advises on a range of corporate transactions and structures and commercial issues.
Shook Lin & Bok has expertise across corporate, commercial and regulatory issues. Practice head Ivan Yue Chan Ho has broad experience advising on a range of corporate transactions, and frequently assists IT companies with commercial matters. Jalalullail Othman is another name to note, and is instructed by a range of domestic, international and public sector clients on corporate and commercial issues.
Ivan Ho Yue Chan
Other key lawyers: