Christopher & Lee Ong‘s corporate and M&A practice has great depth of transactional experience, advising on acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements, takeovers and reverse takeovers. Other core strengths include de-listings, privatisations, de-mergers and corporate restructurings as well as private equity and venture capital investments. In addition to transactional work, the team can also draw on specialised expertise in regulatory compliance, competition, antitrust and industry-specific concerns. It assists clients from sectors including energy, retail, education, manufacturing, healthcare and media and telecoms. Yon See Ting and Kuok Yew Chen jointly head the group with Lee Hock Chye, Christopher Lee, Yau Yee Ming and Por Chuei Ying.
Corporate and M&A in Malaysia
Other key lawyers:
Law Jun Chin; Goh Yau Jun
‘This firm has a very high standard of technical competence, attention to detail and ability to articulate advice to clients, hallmarks of a top tier law firm. However, what stands out is the firm’s commitment to the transaction, their client centricity and commercial judgement. ’
‘The partner we worked with was Mr Kuok Yew Chen and the Senior Associate was Ms Law Jun Chin. Their strong knowledge of contract law and IP law was extremely valuable when we were negotiating terms with the sellside vendors. Both had very steady personalities which is, more often than not, so crucial in a M&A negotiation process. Additionally, their technical competence is complemented with their attention to detail and thoroughness. ’
‘Professional and responsive to our needs.’
‘We worked with Mr Goh Yau Jun. He is reliable, professional and understands our needs very well. I enjoyed working with him.’
Prasarana Malaysia Berhad
Maxis Broadband Sdn Bhd
Attaché Software Australia Pty Ltd
Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
Johnson Controls Group
Vision Ophthalmology Group GmbH
Endeavour United Co., Ltd.
Enviro-Hub Holdings Ltd
Chindata Group Holdings Limited
- Advised Prasarana Malaysia Berhad, Malaysia’s leading public transportation provider, in its (a) joint venture agreement with its Singapore counterpart, SMRT Corporation Ltd, to form the Johor Bahru – Singapore Rapid Transit System Link operating company, RTS Operations Pte. Ltd; and (b) negotiations opposite the Governments of Malaysia and Singapore for the concession agreement to operate the RTS, in Prasarana’s capacity as the majority shareholder of the JVC.
- Acted as the Malaysia counsel to Attaché Software Australia Pty Ltd, a company acquired by The Access Group, a leading provider of fully integrated business management software solutions, in relation to its proposed acquisition of all of the shares in each of Sage Australia Holding Pty Ltd, Sage Singapore Holdings Pte. Ltd and Sage Software Asia Pte. Ltd. from Sage Holding Company Limited, a member of The Sage Group Plc.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Endeavour United, a Japanese PE fund, in its acquisition of all the shares of Diamet Corporation from Mitsubishi Materials Corporation.
The M&A team at Rahmat Lim & Partners has a strong track record of high-value and high-profile work in Malaysia and across the broader region. Clients include a range of public and private organisations and financial institutions. The group regularly advises on local and regional joint ventures, acquisitions and disposals, corporate reorganisations and amalgamation, as well as capital restructurings, leveraged buyouts, inbound and outbound investments and private equity transactions. Department head Moy Pui Yee is sought after for transactional work in the financial services, energy, manufacturing, hospitality and retail and consumer sectors. Chen Lee Won is noted for her expertise in foreign investment into Malaysia and securities law, and for her experience assisting private equity firms and sovereign funds.
‘Their dedication to the job and accessibility to get legal advice is exceptional. Their turnaround speed it also very good and has been very valuable in any deal transaction and negotiation we have done.’
‘Ho Wei Lih is always on the ball and has provided us with the solutions that are needed to ensure that we protect the firm (as well as in the best interests for the deal). She is extremely accessible and has made our work a top priority. ’
‘Easy to work with and quick to response to our requests. Very organized with attention to detail.’
‘Ho Wei Lih: good judgement, creative in solving legal issues, able to bring her vast experience to formulate new strategies to solve legal issues.’
‘Ho Wei Lih and her team impressed me last year and this year. Their work is comparable to that of an international law firm’s lawyers, but very reasonably priced. I am still using Wei Lih and her team and would like to work with them again in our next deal. After dealing with different lawyers in Malaysia, my view is that Ho Wei Lih and her team are excellent lawyers who give practical solutions. She is able to lead and guide local counsels for cross-border Asian deals and she understands our pressure points very well. I always look to her for solutions to our legal issues.’
‘Very commercial and helpful team, always willing to go the extra mile for clients. We have worked with RLP on multiple projects, and regardless of complexity or timelines, they have always come through with excellent work. They are certainly our go-to firm in Malaysia having worked with a couple of other firms.’
‘Moy Pui Yee and Yeo Tze Lin – Commercial, savvy and experienced M&A lawyers who go the extra mile for their clients. Provide easy to understand and helpful advice that always puts the client’s interest at the forefront. Excellent understanding of commercial issues and the M&A landscape and know what needs to be done to get the deal over the line.’
- Advised Charoen Pokphand Group as Malaysian counsel, on its acquisition of Tesco’s businesses in Thailand and Malaysia. Undertook the buy-side due diligence on the Malaysian business, advised on the Malaysian aspects of the transaction documents and assisted with completion of the acquisition of the Malaysian business.
- Advised Batu Kawan Berhad on its acquisition of 56.32 per cent. equity interest in CCM for MYR293 million from Permodalan Nasional Berhad and Amanahraya Trustees Berhad as trustee for Amanah Saham Malaysia, Amanah Saham Bumiputera and Amanah Saham Bumiputera 3-Didik unit trust funds, and on the subsequent mandatory take-over offer for the remaining shares in CCM not already owned by BKB together with the compulsory acquisition of the minority shares in CCM for a total cash consideration of MYR209 million.
- Advised Mitsui Fudosan (Asia) Malaysia Sdn. Bhd., a subsidiary of Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd, on its joint venture with BBCC Development Sdn. Bhd., via MFBBCC Serviced Suites Sdn. Bhd. (“JVCO”), to acquire a serviced residence block at Bukit Bintang City Centre (“Property”) from UDA Holdings Berhad for a total value of MYR242 million and upon completion of the construction of the Property, the JVCO to manage and operate the Property, including granting of tenancies of units within the Property. Rahmat Lim & Partners assisted in negotiating and drafting the sale and purchase agreement and the joint venture agreement.
The corporate and M&A group at Shearn Delamore & Co handles a broad range of M&A, takeovers, private equity transactions, restructurings and joint ventures, as well as regulatory advisory; inbound investment from China is a recent area of growth. Practice head Grace Yeoh is highly recommended for corporate governance and family business matters as well as transactions in the energy, natural resources and green technology sectors. Technology, telecoms, semiconductors, retail and e-commerce/money services are other key industry strengths. Early career partner Lai Zhen Pik is a key member of the firm’s China desk, regularly advising Chinese clients on both inbound and outbound transactions.
‘Extensive experience in required areas, strong team and teamwork, extremely responsive to client’s needs.’
‘Stand out partner is Nicholas Tan Choi Chuan. Exemplary responsiveness to client’s requests and needs, and provision of timely and useful advice.’
Mammoth Empire Group of Companies
United Malacca Berhad
DuPont (including recently agriculture, nutrition and bio-sciences operations)
Reed Business Information Limited (Online Platform)
Elanco Animal Health Inc. (Veterinary pharmaceuticals)
Tricor Group (Hong Kong)
Alibaba / Cainiao Logistics Group
CISDI Group Co. Ltd (China), a core subsidiary of China Minmetals Corporation, a Fortune Global 500 company
Nuctech Company Limited (China)
China Oil Field Services Limited
Sony Interactive Entertainment (USA)
JUUL Labs Singapore Pte Ltd (Singapore and USA)
CREC Development (M) Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the China Railway Group Limited (CREC) (listed on SSE and SEHK) (China)
British Council, UK (UK)
Ceridian Group (USA)
CISDI Group Co., Ltd (China)
Enea AB. (Sweden)
Bynder Holding B.V. (Netherlands)
To’ Puan Janet Looi leads Skrine‘s corporate division, which frequently handles high-value domestic and cross-border transactions including joint ventures, acquisitions, takeovers and inbound direct investment. Fariz Abdul Aziz brings expertise in corporate restructurings, as well as sector experience in the oil and gas, renewables, manufacturing and financial services industries. Consultant Theresa Chong specialises in advising multinational clients looking to invest into Malaysia and cross-border loans against Malaysian assets. Other key areas of work for the firm include compliance advice, corporate liability provisions, corporate governance and regulatory work.
‘The Skrine team understands the client’s needs very well and always provides tailor made advice. Despite the significant time difference they are always available and provide quick responses.’
‘Fariz Abdul Aziz has a very deep knowledge of Malaysian (corporate) law and significant M&A and industry experience. He always provides pragmatic solutions to Malaysian law questions.’
Ekuiti Nasional Berhad
Tyson International Holding Company
International Business Machine
Malaysian Technology Development Corporation
Founders (Richardson family)
- Advised BP plc (“BP”) on the Malaysian aspects of its USD 5 billion global sale of its aromatics, acetyls and related businesses to INEOS.
- Acted as lead counsel for Hope Education Group in its acquisition of the Inti Group of Universities and Colleges.
- Advised Tyson International Holding Company (a subsidiary of Tyson Foods, Inc.) on the Malaysian aspects of its strategic partnership with Malayan Flour Mills Berhad.
Wong & Partners
The market-leading corporate, commercial and securities department at Wong & Partners has an outstanding offering in cross-border M&A, assisting local and multinational clients in a broad range of inbound and outbound transactions. Managing partner Munir Abdul Aziz is a go-to name for private equity and venture capital; the team is also recommended for complex corporate reorganisations. Practice head Brian Chia acts for clients in private equity, financial services and insurance. The group has broad sector knowledge across manufacturing, life sciences and healthcare – advising medical service providers, pharmaceutical companies and healthcare investments – technology, global security software, education and consumer goods and retail.
‘The team are terrific communicators, have strong attention to detail and are very diligent in their responses. They appreciate client concerns and tailor their advice to the audience. They have a good understanding of different industries and are experienced at providing advice to foreign-owned enterprises. ’
‘Their resources (by being part of a global law firm) are valuable to companies with global operations.’
‘This firm handled matters and treated clients in a professional and attentive way with patience. Professional advice was provided effectively for overseas investors and was accomplished. ’
‘Reliable and responsive, always providing an opinion at short notice.’
‘Wong & Partners proved to be lateral thinkers in developing an offensive strategy in corporate matters and litigation. ’
‘Very experienced partner and associates who are able to provide detailed explanations and suggest solutions in a holistic manner. They provide references for issues related to foreign jurisdictions and liaise with the foreign lawyers when needed.’
S P Setia Berhad
CIMB Group Holdings Berhad
Affinity Equity Partners
Ekuiti Nasional Berhad
Press Metal Aluminum Holdings Berhad
Navis Capital Partners
KV Asia Capital
Permodalan Nasional Berhad
Juris Technologies Sdn. Bhd.
- Acted as lead counsel and advised KV Asia Capital (“KV Asia”), a private equity firm focused on investments in Southeast Asia, on the divestment of its entire stake in TF Value-Mart (“TFVM”), an operator of a chain of more than 35 grocery retail stores across several states in Malaysia to Intermediate Capital Group.
- Acted as the lead counsel and advised Permodalan Nasional Bhd (“PNB”) on the sale of its entire 56.3% stake in Chemical Company of Malaysia Bhd (“CCM”) to Batu Kawan Bhd for MYR 292.8 million.
- Acted for Ekuiti Nasional Berhad, a government-linked private equity fund management company on the divestment of its 100% equity interest in a leading manufacturer of premium halal meat-based products, PrimaBaguz Sdn Bhd, to US-based processed meat company Johnsonville International LLC, based on an enterprise value of MYR 175 million.
Adnan Sundra & Low
The corporate and commercial practice at Adnan Sundra & Low has a strong offering across M&A, joint ventures and other transactions and corporate governance. Adrian Chee has experience in the manufacturing, oil and gas, telecoms and financial services industries; he jointly heads the team with Wong Chin Chin, who advises on privatisation and restructuring; project and development expert Adrian Chair; and equity raising specialist Tracy Ng Tsu Ynn.
‘The team is able to look at the project from a wholistic angle and advise accordingly from an legal and commercial perspective, especially for complex M&A structures’.
‘The individuals are forward thinking, advising on matters which may potentially arise from the decisions that the company proposes to make.’
Kerian Solar Sdn Bhd
CIMB Investment Bank Berhad
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
RHB Investment Bank Berhad
Credit Suisse Securities (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited
JPMorgan Securities (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
J.P. Morgan Securities plc
UBS Securities Malaysia Sdn Bhd
UBS AG, Singapore Branch
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad
Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
Paramount Corporation Berhad
Maxis Broadband Sdn. Bhd
Petroliam Nasional Berhad
Taliworks Corporation Berhad
Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
AmBank Islamic Berhad
AmBank (M) Berhad
- Advised (i) CIMB Investment Bank Berhad, (ii) Maybank Investment Bank Berhad,(iii) RHB Investment Bank Berhad,(iv) Credit Suisse Securities (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, (v) Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, (vi) JPMorgan Securities (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, (vii) J.P. Morgan Securities plc, (viii) UBS Securities Malaysia Sdn Bhd, (ix) UBS AG, Singapore Branch,(x) AmInvestment Bank Berhad, (xi) Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad, and (xii) Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad on the Initial Public Offering of Mr D.I.Y Group (M) Berhad.
- Advised Maxis Broadband Sdn. Bhd for the joint development and sharing of fibre infrastructure between Maxis Broadband Sdn. Bhd., Celcom Axiata Berhad and Digi Telecommunications Sdn. Bhd.
- Acted as the local counsel and advised Tesco plc on the disposal by Tesco plc of its businesses in Thailand and Malaysia to Thailand’s CP Group entities.
Tan Ming-li , Chong Wei Lung and Karen Cheah Yee Lynn are key contacts within the corporate practice at Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff. The department advises an impressive range of both domestic and international clients on local and cross-border M&A and disposals. The team has a strong offering for financial institutions, stockbrokers and insurance companies. Sector strengths encompass property and infrastructure; healthcare; telecoms, social media and IT; education; manufacturing; and retail and consumer goods.
‘CCA have demonstrated themselves time and again to be highly competent in providing all forms of corporate legal advice, based on the extensive track record of the partners in the firm.’
COPE-KPF Opportunities 1 Sdn Bhd and COPE Opportunities IV Sdn Bhd
Fraser & Neave Holdings Berhad
Rev Asia Berhad
Kitar Alam Management Sdn Bhd
Arachem (M) Sdn Bhd
Tadmax Resource Berhad
- Advised a German telecommunication company in the disposal of its Malaysia subsidiary for total value of RM77 million.
- Advised Sunsuria Berhad on the subscription of 51% equity stake in a real estate company for an aggregate of RM284.5 million.
- Advised Owners of Chempro Group of Companies on the proposed disposal of a profitable chemical business for RM138 million.
The corporate and M&A group at Kadir Andri & Partners handles a wide variety of transactions, including takeovers, de-mergers and selective capital reduction exercises, with particular sector strengths in banking, insurance, oil and gas and telecoms. Founding partner and practice head Tan Kong Yam provides corporate advisory expertise and has significant experience in equity capital markets. Samuel Hong is noted for his strength in corporate restructuring, as well as for assisting private equity and venture capital firms on inbound investment.
Other key lawyers:
Maybank Group of Companies
Sime Darby Plantations Berhad
MRCB Quill Management Sdn Bhd
Decathlon Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Touch n Go Sdn Bhd
Ramsey Sime Darby Healthcare Sdn Bhd
HL Cement (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Advised DRB-HICOM on its disposal of a large portion of its non-core property assets and its entire hospitality portfolio for a consideration value of RM1.9 billion.
- Advised Integrated Logistics Berhad (the ultimate holding company of Integrated Logistics (H.K.) Limited (“ILHK”)) in its disposal of its equity interest in entire equity interest in Integrated Etern Logistics (Suzhou) Co. Limited (“IEL (Suzhou)”) to SWJ CN Logiport PTE LTD (“SWJ”) for a consideration of RMB334 million.
- Advised HL Cement (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, Ridge Star Limited (both as joint offerors) and Hong Leong Asia Ltd (as the ultimate offeror) on its unconditional voluntary take-over offer of Tasek Corporation Berhad.
Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill houses a full-service corporate and M&A offering, advising on joint ventures, corporate reorganisations, private equity investments and foreign direct investments, as well as providing general corporate advisory work and M&A. Inbound direct investment is a core specialism, with recent work for major US, European, Japanese, Singaporean and Australian companies relating to the establishment and operation of Malaysian operations. Practice head Tay Weng Hwee brings extensive financing experience, as well as a strong track record of high-value transactions.
‘A good combination of expert teams in legal, commercial and due diligence matters to optimise the outcome of transaction.’
‘Tay Weng Hwee (Partner)- sharp legal mind with commercial and practical solutions.’
‘The corporate and M&A team is highly accountable. They response to our queries in timely manner. The team is very attentive, highly knowledgeable and have a great sense of negotiation skills. Really helps in corporate negotiation. The fees are reasonable. They are simply exceptional.’
Hüttenes-Albertus Chemische Werke GmbH
NuGlobal Ventures Sdn Bhd
UEM Sunrise Berhad
UEM Edgenta Berhad
D’Harmoni Telco Infra Sdn Bhd
Sacofa Sdn Bhd
Pelaburan Hartanah Berhad
AEON Credit Service (M) Berhad
Credit Guarantee Corporation Berhad
Fastrack Management Pte Ltd
THB Power Sdn Bhd
Siemens Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Act for UEM Sunrise Berhad in a proposed merger with Eco World Development Group Berhad (Eco World), a major property developer with a market capitalisation of approximately MYR1.5 billion and is listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad (Main Market) in Malaysia.
- Represented NuGlobal Ventures Sdn Bhd in its submission of a bid to acquire 100% of the issued capital of SilTerra Malaysia Sdn Bhd (SiTterra) from Khazanah Nasional Berhad (Khazanah).
- Represented the shareholders of Stenta Films (M) Sdn Bhd for the disposal of their shareholding in Stenta Film (M) Sdn Bhd to Mega First Corporation Berhad. We also co-ordinate the due-diligence exercise by Mega First Corporation Berhad over the target company.
Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law)
The corporate and M&A practice at Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law) stands out for its experience in the media, communications and technology sectors, and is highly regarded for transactions in these industries as well as for e-commerce and digitalisation advice. The department handles a broad range of corporate and commercial work, including M&A, joint ventures, restructuring, insolvency and general advisory; compliance and governance is another stand-out area. Managing partner Gilbert Gan leads the team alongside Tan Wooi Hong, Idahani Ismas Ismail, Jonathan Lim, Ang Siak Keng, Chua Wei Min, Ahmad Zulkharnain Musa and Nadarashnaraj Sargunaraj.
‘Having dealt with the corporate team on our transaction, their experience and knowledge was able to provide us with more practical and viable solutions to close the transaction successfully. Their friendly and ethical approach also made it easier to swiftly and smoothly close our transaction at the negotiating table.’
‘ZICO has a strong network in Malaysia and South East Asian countries. That makes ZICO’s practice unique.’
‘They are very skilled and experienced in handling transactions with Japanese clients in relation to Malaysia and South East Asian countries.’
Khazanah Nasional Berhad
IHH Healthcare Berhad
POS Engineering Sdn Bhd
- Acted for Khazanah Nasional Berhad in the sale of Khazanah’s entire equity interest in semiconductor fabricating company SilTerra Malaysia Sdn Bhd (“SilTerra”) to a consortium consisting of DNeX and CGP. DNeX will take up a 60% stake in SilTerra for MYR163.8 million, while CGP will acquire the remaining 40% for MYR109.2 million.
- Advised on the structure aim to achieve a greenfield collaboration between POS Engineering and SIA Engineering Sdn Bhd. We further advised on the merger controls and application to MAVCOM.
- Worked together with Zero Mass Water Holdings Malaysia Sdn Bhd, the US counsel (Gunderson Dettmer) and tax advisor (BDO Malaysia) to structure an investment and draft relevant agreements.
Zain & Co
Led by Salwah Abdul Shukor, Zain & Co's corporate practice sits at the heart of the firm, regularly advising domestic corporations on both local and cross-border transactions. The group has a strong offering for clients in the charity, chemicals, energy, retail and electronics sectors, as well as for the media, transportation and food and beverage industries. Core areas of expertise encompass joint ventures, commercial agreements, restructurings and venture capital; the department is also recommended for corporate governance and advisory.
‘A local practice that collaborates with its international partners to provide broad knowledge for business-centric legal advice.’
‘As one of the top law firms in Malaysia, Zain & Co provides a host of services in different areas of law. As a corporate client, this is beneficial as they are able to provide assistance in multiple areas of law. Further, despite the ongoing pandemic, they are able to continue to provide their services such as conducting meeting calls via Microsoft Teams/Zoom and having discussions as usual. Despite being one of the top law firms in Malaysia, their billing is quite competitive for the services offered.’
The corporate team at Abdullah Chan & Co stands out for its expertise in the aviation and aerospace sectors. Other key experience is in the oil and gas, financial services and real estate sectors, advising both private and government clients on M&A, compliance, privatisation and inbound and outbound direct investment. Vincent Chan jointly heads the team with Shelina Razaly Wahi, Yap Hui Lu and Gopala Krishnan Sundaram.
Albar & Partners covers a broad variety of corporate and commercial transactions, ranging from M&A and joint ventures to private equity work as well as corporate governance advisory. Group lead Lily Tan Chea Li focuses on large-scale M&A and de-mergers, public takeovers, privatisation projects, corporate restructuring and refinancing.
‘The firm gives sound and solid support to my team. They are reliable, agile and speedy in turning around documentation. In addition, their familiarity with securities law helped a lot in charting our transaction.’
‘The Senior Partner was able to restructure the deal and gave invaluable input in relation to an alternative arrangement. She gave commercial advice and at the same time protected my organisation’s interest.’
Icon Offshore Berhad
Kumpulan Perangsang Selangor Berhad
Leong Hup International Berhad
MMC Corporation Berhad
Malayan Banking Berhad
Malaysia Building Society Berhad
MR D.I.Y. Group (M) Berhad
MMC Corporation Berhad
RHB Bank Berhad
Serba Dinamik Holdings Berhad
UMW Corporation Berhad
- Advised Mr. D.I.Y. Group (M) Berhad (Mr, D.I.Y) in the Initial Public Offering of Mr D.I.Y on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad.
- Advised Serba Dinamik Holdings Berhad (SDHB)t in a private placement of up to 336,830,000 new ordinary shares in SDHB, representing approximately 10% of the existing total number of issued shares in SDHB (excluding treasury shares).
- Advised Icon Fleet Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Icon Offshore Berhad in the acquisitions of a jack-up drilling rig named “PERISAI PACIFIC 101”, the 51% of the issued share capital of Perisai Offshore Sdn Bhd from of Perisai Petroleum Teknologi Bhd (PPTB) and acquisition by and assignment to Omni Ventures Sdn Bhd of the “QHES Management System” and all intellectual property rights thereto from Perisai Drilling Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PPTB.
The corporate and M&A team at Azmi & Associates provides transactional advice to clients including private companies, listed companies, government-linked entities, multinational conglomerates and high-net-worth individuals. The group is also experienced in regulatory compliance, due diligence, leveraged buyouts and corporate governance, as well as in private equity and venture capital. Azmi Mohd Ali's practice encompasses restructuring and privatisation; he jointly leads the department with Jonathan Ngee Song Law and Norhisham Abd Bahrin .
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong team in relation to advice and the preparation of the Islamic finance documentation and transaction.’
‘NorHisham Abd Bahrin – passionate and willing to go the extra mile in assisting the client in terms of legal advice.’
‘Azmi & Associate provides good legal advice, has excellent service and is punctual in delivering the work. The lawyers are bright and pleasant to work with.’
‘Quality is never compromised despite tight deadlines.’
‘Collectively they work on sharing their experiences into what will be the most applicable to their current client. Exchanging thoughts and ideas, advising appropriate legal practices based on our needs. Very well versed in their field, their willingness to attend to our calls, email etc.’
Turkish Aerospace Industries Inc
Foot Locker Inc
Rock AI Ltd
Ancom Logistic Berhad
Pitahaya (M) Sdn Bhd
National Film Development Corporation Malaysia (FINAS)
Ficus Venture Capital Sdn Bhd
Credit Investment Bank
SME Corporation Malaysia
Duopharma Biotech Berhad
Zikay Resources (M) Sdn Bhd
Terengganu Incorporated Sdn Bhd
UMW Corporation Sdn Bhd
UDA Dayaurus Sdn Bhd
Perbadanan Nasional Berhad
MBI Modal Sdn Bhd
GA Peninsular Capital Ltd
Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Centre
Tasik Bayu Sdn Bhd
Intres Capital Partners Sdn Bhd
Pelaburan Hartanah Berhad
Orpheus Capital Sdn Bhd
Dagang Nexchange Berhad
Padiberas Nasional Berhad
MyClass Technologies Sdn Bhd
FWD Takaful Berhad
Ekuitas Sdn Bhd
UMW Industries (1985) Sdn Bhd
Foodle Sdn Bhd
Elmu Education Group Sdn Bhd
ShineWing TY Teoh PLT
Malaysia Venture Capital Management Berhad
Export-Import Bank of Malaysia
Warisan Quantum Management Sdn Bhd
Westfield Star Sdn Bhd
Celcom Axiata Berhad
Icon Consulting – Group Pte Ltd
Sapura Resources Berhad
Sapura Technics Sdn Bhd
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP
Perusahaan Otomobil Kedua Sdn Bhd
Philip Koh and Adrian Koh head the corporate and M&A practice at Mah-Kamariyah & Philip Koh, which is noted primarily for handling public takeover transactions involving companies listed on the Bursa Malaysia. Jia Hui Yip joined from Tay & Partners, bringing M&A experience in the aviation and shipping sectors.
‘They are practical and commercially driven lawyers. They advise what is practical and provide the pros and cons with an opinion. Which is helpful in making decisions. They are also flexible and not overly sticky about the billing.’
‘Mah-Kamariyah is an established legal firm specialising in capital market exercises. They have many capable lawyers and legal assistants. Proactive, knowledgeable, friendly and providing commercially viable solutions are the trademarks of MKP. They are a trusted partner of our advisory services.’
‘The managing partner Adrian Koh’s technical knowledge, level of detail and responsiveness are very satisfactory in helping us to complete cases. He gives practical advice on complicated issues for our various M&A exercises. Very comprehensive understanding of Rules on takeovers, CMSA, Companies Act. His team is also very thorough in all their work with us and are all dependable for all our engagements.’
‘MKPK is very hands-on for each assignment and brings solutions to the table, which adds much valued input for the structuring of deals and roll-out of corporate exercises. Yet at the same time thinks out of the box to resolve issues, instead of just following standard protocols.’
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
Astramina Advisory Sdn Bhd
BGMC International Limited
Boh Plantation Sdn Bhd
Dialog Group Berhad
Eastern & Oriental Berhad
Hong Leong Investment Bank
IOI Corporation Berhad
IOI Properties Group Berhad
Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Sdn Bhd
Kerjaya Prospek Berhad
Kian Joo Can Factory Berhad
LBS Bina Group Berhad
Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
Mercury Securities Sdn Bhd
Mulpha International Bhd
Nirvana Asia Ltd
OSK Holdings Group
RHB Investment Bank Berhad
Rohas Tecnic Berhad
Sunway Construction Group Berhad
Tropicana Corporation Berhad
WCT Holdings Berhad
Mohamed Ridza & Co
The corporate, commercial and M&A group at Mohamed Ridza & Co advises on a wide variety of transactions for both domestic and international companies, including joint ventures, consortium agreements and venture capital transactions. Mohamed Ridza Abdullah has particular expertise in the oil and gas and property sectors; he jointly leads the team with capital markets-focused Mohamad Nazran Basirun and financing expert Naseem Mohamed Abdulla.
Padiberas Nasional Berhad
- Appointed by Padiberas National Berhad to represent them during the negotiation with the Government of Malaysia for an extension of the right to import rice in Malaysia.
Murad Yee Partnership
Boutique commercial practice Murad Yee Partnership focuses on M&A, corporate restructuring and reorganisations, as well as capital markets, venture capital and private equity. Team lead Yee Fook Weng advises a roster of clients which includes a variety of listed companies, multinational corporations, government-linked entities and the Malaysian subsidiaries of international companies.
‘Extensive corporate legal knowledge and the ability to handle a myriad of issues.’
‘Very responsive. High analytical and logical reasoning. Creative problem solving skills so as to achieve win-win situation for all parties involved. ’
- Acted as the counsel to the controlling shareholder/vendor in relation to the disposal of his majority shareholding in the subject companies, which are in the business of providing media monitoring, market intelligence and other related services.
- Advised the investee company on the proposed investment transaction and preparing the relevant documentation.
- Acted for the vendor client in relation to the documentation and other legal aspects relating to the transaction.
The corporate and M&A practice at Raja, Darryl & Loh is best known for transactions in the healthcare and technology industries; other notable experience is in aviation, financial services and manufacturing. The group regularly advises on both domestic and cross-border M&A and disposals, including multijurisdictional acquisitions. Department head Chew Phye Keat's practice encompasses corporate and commercial transactions, notably joint ventures in the telecoms and IT industries.
‘We worked regularly with RDL given their ability to offer comprehensive legal services. We are able to rely on them to give us the support as needed for all matters arising in Malaysia.’
‘The firm has a broad range of capabilities, and the various partners work well together to provide solutions to clients.’
‘RDL are possibly the best Malaysian corporate firm I have worked with and are my go-to firm for all M&A, corporate and regulatory matters. The level of competence is top notch and they are also very innovative in finding solutions for clients.’
‘Joyce Teh is my go-to for corporate and commercial work. She is responsive, very competent, gives clear advice, and is reasonable on pricing. She also always makes herself personally available.’
‘The Corporate M&A team at RDL is a pleasure to work with and generally very responsive.’
Aspen Pumps Ltd
MAA Group Berhad
Silverlake Axis Ltd
- Acted for the creditors of Malaysian Airlines Berhad and MAB Leasing Ltd in respect of the recent debt restructuring involving RM16 billion of debts of the airline group, effected pursuant to new English companies legislation.
- Advised Mega First Corporation Berhad in its proposed acquisition of the entire issued and paid-up capital of Stenta Films (M) Sdn Bhd for a total cash consideration of RM205 million.
- Advising on the liquidation/disposal of the Group’s assets which include investments, franchises and intellectual property rights in numerous countries.
Chin Lit Fwu and Cynthia Toh are key names at Wong Beh & Toh's corporate and M&A practice. The group advises on mergers and demerges of listed companies, as well as corporate restructuring and reorganisations. It also regularly acts for private companies in acquisitions and disposals, and handles regulatory requirements and applications to authorities.
Wong Tat Chung
‘Wong Tat Chung is one of the few corporate lawyers who has a very good understanding of regulations governing the capital market and requirements of the regulatory authorities in particularly the Securities Commission, Malaysia and Bursa Malaysia securities Berhad.’
Jerry Ong and David Lee Lai Huat lead the corporate and M&A team at Zul Rafique & Partners. The practice handles cross-border and domestic mergers, joint ventures and restructurings. Corporate liability and risk management is another strong offering.
Ramesh Dipendra Jeremiah Law
Ramesh Dipendra Jeremiah Law's corporate and commercial practice group advises on a range of M&A and joint ventures as well as corporate governance and general commercial contract matters. The team has experience in construction and engineering, pharmaceutical, manufacturing and telecoms sectors, and further strength in advertising, education and creative industries. Jeremiah Gurusamy and Mike Lee Seang Yik co-head the department.
Airod Sdn. Bhd. (subsidiary of NADI Group)
Malaysia-China Business Council
Bar Council Malaysia
Ernst & Young PLT
Vertex Blue Consulting Sdn Bhd
Artzen citizenM Asia Limited
Daehan Rehabilitation Services Sdn Bhd
Recording Performers Malaysia Berhad
Supahands Dotcom Sdn Bhd
Finaxar Pte. Ltd.
The corporate and commercial team at Josephine, L K Chow & Co stands out for its dedicated offering for Japanese clients, frequently acting for Japanese companies investing in the Malaysian market through local subsidiaries. Led by Josephine Ng Bee Leng and Yip Huen Weng, the practice handles a broad range of agreements and transactions for domestic clients and those setting up entities in Malaysia.
‘They are a well run boutique legal firm in the Kuala Lumpur area with experienced legal representatives. We have had fast and good legal advice every time we have dealings with them and follow-up on our enquiries. Their fees are reasonable as well. ’
‘Mr. Yip Huen Weng is a very knowledgeable and pleasant partner whom we have trusted in the last 5 or so years of engaging with his firm. Provides a quick turnaround time on our legal enquiries and he understands our business and is able to provide valuable legal advice. During the pandemic, we were faced with various updates from different government agencies and have been guided well by Mr. Yip and his team.’
‘Josephine is a fluent Japanese speaker. That is the key point for us.’
‘Apart from their expertise in the handling of legal matters in Malaysia, they have lawyers who can understand the Japanese language. This makes it easy to communicate, especially when we require the involvement of our head office in Japan.’
‘They are attentive, responsive and typically revert with solutions in a reasonable timeframe. The creative legal minds work here with a smorgasbord of experience in a number of different legal areas.’
Taiwan Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation Malaysia
Kendall Court Trust
- Advising the Kendall Court Trust (“KCT”) is a charitable welfare trust with a primary focus of aiding less privilege and deserving youths in obtaining and completing tertiary education since 2015 on a pro-bono basis.
- Regularly assists the Malaysian chapter of Tzu Chi on a pro-bono basis on matters involving legal compliance. Most recently advised Tzu Chi in dealing a change of regulatory requirements sought to be imposed by the Registrar of Societies in Malaysia for the remail of the word ‘foundation’ in the Tzu Chi’s name.
Lim Jo Yan & Co
The corporate practice at Lim Jo Yan & Co predominantly assists offshore law firms with commercial transactions in Malaysia, with clients based in Japan, Singapore, China and Hong Kong, as well as recent clients wins in Lithuania and Russia. Founder Lim Jo Yan handles a variety of transactions and advisory work.
Lim Jo Yan
Other key lawyers:
Huei Wen Teoh
‘Very responsive and pragmatic.’
‘The team is professional and puts in a considerable amount of effort.’
‘Worked with Mr Lim JoYan & Ms Huei Wen Teoh, they are patient and put in a considerable amount of effort while giving us a lot of advice. Appreciate their efforts.’
‘Their speciality is in advising on corporate structure and tax matters. They are very responsive and have good knowledge of the subject matter required.’
‘While the team is small, they are incredibly responsive and provide direct answers and practical solutions, which is much appreciated.’
‘Jo Yan Lim is excellent – Malaysia law is not always straightforward but Jo Yan has the ability to present an issue in a simple and understandable way, and provide practical solutions to problems. He is also very responsive, which is very much appreciated for a partner.’
Asahi Holdings Southeast Asia Sdn. Bhd.
Boga Group Indonesia
EcoWorld Development Group Bhd. alaysia Holdings Sdn. Bhd.
Jirnexu Sdn. Bhd.
Naluri Hidup Sdn. Bhd
Navis Capital Partners
Persolkelly Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Malaysian rubber glove manufacturer on the divestment of a rubber glove manufacturing company for RM500 million.
- Advised a member of a consortium on the application to the Central Bank of Malaysia for a digital banking licence.
- Advised Daiwa ACA APAC Growth LP in its Series A investment in HealthMetrics Sdn. Bhd.
Naqiz & Partners
Khairul Ismail heads the corporate practice at Naqiz & Partners; he has extensive knowledge of corporate governance and related issues like disclosure policies. Key areas of work for the firm include company formation and joint ventures, regulatory compliance, reorganisations and restructuring, as well as transactions in the venture capital and private equity spaces.
Peter Ling & van Geyzel is able to draw on its strengths in equity capital markets to advise a variety of domestic and international companies on M&A and other transactions. Team lead Peter Ling focuses on assisting individuals and closely-held businesses with a range of commercial transactions.
Dynaciate Group Berhad
Hong Seng Consolidated Berhad
Minetech Resources Berhad
MMAG Holdings Berhad
OCK Group Berhad
Ivan Yue Chan Ho heads the corporate and M&A practice at Shook Lin & Bok. Key areas of transactional expertise include incorporation of new companies and Malaysian subsidiaries of international companies, joint ventures and acquisitions.
Tay & Partners advises clients including major domestic companies and international companies, with a particularly strong offering for Singapore-based firms looking to expand into Malaysia. The practice has a broad range of sector knowledge, with experience in technology, aviation, retail and construction, as well as in renewables, education and manufacturing. Chang Hong Yun leads the M&A group, with venture capital and private equity a key area of his practice.
Avery Dennison Corporation
Gamuda Berhad, Lingkaran Trans Kota Holdings Berhad, Sistem Penyuraian Trafik KL Barat Holdings Sdn Bhd, Kesas Holdings Berhad and Projek SMART Holdings Sdn Bhd