The banking and finance team at Adnan Sundra & Low includes twelve partners and covers the full spectrum of capital markets issues. Attracting major clients such as BNP Paribas Securities, Barclays Bank and JP Morgan, it is led by Deepak Sadasivan and Adrian Chee Meng Yang, respective experts in project finance and corporate bonds. One of its most notable recent cases is its work for United Overseas Bank, NewParadigm Capital Markets and Danajamin Nasional on Exsim Capital Resources' inaugural Sukuk Musharakah IMTN Programme (valued up to RM2.0 billion). Recommended lawyers: Kok Ling Gan, Edward Ng and Jennifer Lee.
Capital markets in Malaysia
Other key lawyers:
CIMB Investment Bank Berhad
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad
United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
NewParadigm Capital Markets Sdn Bhd
Danajamin Nasional Berhad
OCBC Al-Amin Bank Berhad
RHB Investment Bank Berhad
MUFG Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
HSBC Amanah Malaysia Berhad
Credit Suisse (Singapore) Ltd
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
BNP Paribas Securities (Asia) Ltd
CIMB Bank (L) Ltd
Citigroup Global Markets Ltd
Kenaga Investment Bank Berhad
Barclays Bank PLC
J.P. Morgan Securities LLC
DBS Bank Ltd
SMBC Nikko Securities America LLC
Fifth Third Securities Inc
KeyBanc Capital Markets
Unicredit Bank Austria AG
Erste Group Bank AG
Niederlassung der ING-DiBa AG
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
Hayfin Services LLP
KAF Investment Bank Berhad
Affin Bank Berhad
Bank Pembangunan Malaysia Berhad
Affin Hwang Investment Bank Berhad
AmBank (M) Berhad
- Advised CIMB Investment Bank Berhad on IJM Land Berhad’s Perpetual Sukuk Programme of up to RM2.0 billion in nominal value based on the Shariah principle of Musharakah with a subordinated guarantee
- Advised AmInvestment Bank Berhad, CIMB Investment Bank Berhad and Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad as the principal advisers, joint lead arrangers and joint lead managers for Zamarad Assets Berhad’s RM2.0 Billion Sukuk Murabahah Asset-Backed Securitisation Programme
- Advised United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd as the Lead Arranger, NewParadigm Capital Markets Sdn Bhd as the Financial Adviser and Danajamin Nasional Berhad as the guarantor for Exsim Capital Resources Bhd Inaugural Sukuk Musharakah IMTN Programme of up to RM2.0 billion and Sukuk Murabahah ICP Programme of up to RM1.0 billion.
The team at Albar & Partners handles the breadth of capital markets matters in conjunction with banking and finance, and restructuring matters. Combined with M&A and de-mergers, its skills cover public take-overs, initial public offerings, listings and de-listings, REITs, and privatisation projects. It also handles derivatives, interest and currency swaps work. A standout highlight is the firm's work for Top Glove Corporation on the issuance of perpetual Islamic notes under the Shariah principle of Wakalah bi al-Istithmar (a value of up to RM3 billion). Recommended lawyers: Lily Tan Chea Li, Swee Loong Chung, Natalie Suan Wan Peh, Seet Hooi Ping , Cassandra Hogg and Sharifah Dalilah Albar
AmBank (M) Berhad, AmInvestment Bank Berhad, & AmBank Islamic Berhad
CIMB Bank Berhad, CIMB Investment Bank Berhad, & CIMB Islamic Bank Berhad
DRB HICOM Berhad
Hong Leong Bank Berhad, Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad, & Hong Leong Islamic Bank Berhad
United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
Malayan Banking Berhad, Maybank Investment Bank Berhad, & Maybank Islamic Berhad
MIDF Amanah Investment Bank Berhad
MMC Corporation Berhad
Public Bank Berhad, Public Investment Bank Berhad, & Public Islamic Bank Berhad
RHB Bank Berhad, RHB Investment Bank Berhad, & RHB Islamic Bank Berhad
- Acted for LHI as the issuer in its IPO for a total market capitalisation of RM4 billion with the listing of and quotation for the entire 3.65 billion ordinary shares in LHI on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad at the retail price of RM1.10. LHI is the only poultry producer with a presence in 5 countries which are the key poultry market in Southeast Asia and is the largest integrated poultry producer in Malaysia.
- Acted for Maybank Investment Bank Berhad & RHB Investment Bank Berhad as joint principal advisers, joint lead arrangers and joint lead managers in the Islamic medium-term notes programme of RM3.5 billion based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah bi Al-Istithmar and acted for Maybank Islamic Berhad & RHB Islamic Bank Berhad as the joint financiers in the syndicated Islamic term financing facility of RM1.5 billion based on the Shariah principle of Murabahah (via Tawarruq arrangement), having a combined limit of RM3.5 billion established by DRB-HICOM Berhad, which is one of the nation’s largest and most diverse conglomerates, mainly involved in the Automotive, Services and Properties sector.
- Acted for Top Glove Corporation Berhad (Top Glove) in the issuance of perpetual Islamic notes under the Shariah principle of Wakalah bi al-Istithmar pursuant to a perpetual Islamic notes issuance programme of up to RM3 billion in nominal value by its wholly owned subsidiary, TG Excellence Berhad as the issuer with a subordinated guarantee by Top Glove as the Kafalah Provider. Top Glove is the world’s largest manufacturer of disposal rubber gloves and has today captured 26% of the world market share for rubber gloves
Wong & Partners
Munir Abdul Aziz and Mark Lim lead the capital markets team at Wong & Partners. Handling both REITs and stock exchange listings, it also caters for Islamic finance (Sukuk), convertible and exchangeable bonds, medium term notes, commercial paper programs, initial public offerings and Rule 144A/Regulation S matters. A specific highlight is its role in advising Maybank Investment Bank on an Islamic medium term notes programme based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar (up to MYR 5 billion). The team includes M&A expert Brian Chia, a partner who also covers private equity investments as well as corporate restructurings and reorganisations.
Other key lawyers:
S P Setia Berhad
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
RHB Banking Group
Press Metal Aluminium Holdings Berhad
- Advised Maybank Investment Bank Berhad as the principal adviser, lead arranger and lead manager in connection with the Islamic medium term notes programme of up to MYR 5 billion in nominal value based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar, established by Press Metal Aluminium Holdings Bhd, the largest integrated aluminium producer in Southeast Asia.
- Represented DRB-HICOM Berhad, as the issuer, in connection with the 30-year Islamic medium term note of up to MYR 3.5 billion under the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar (“Sukuk Wakalah Programme”). Maybank Investment Bank Bhd and RHB Investment Bank Bhd are the joint principal advisers, joint lead arrangers and joint lead managers for the Sukuk Wakalah Programme.
Both debt and equity capital market issues are handled by the team at Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law). Covering both domestic and cross-border cases, it handles bond issues (high yield, convertible and exchangeable), debt programmes, initial public offerings and equity (as well as equity linked) derivatives such as structured warrants and exchange traded funds. Where required, these matters are pursued in conventional or Islamic parameters with relevant adjustments made for compliance, product design, structuring and documentation (a recent highlight being SD International Sukuk's issuance of a high yield sukuk based on the principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar). Recommended lawyers: Gilbert Gan, Lilian Liew, Wooi Hong Tan , Ahmad Zulkharnain Musa, Idahani Ismas Ismail and Ang Siak Keng.
‘The team drives to understand client requirements, the end goal and what should and shouldn’t be done in the circumstances. They do not solely restrict themselves to debt perspectives but what can impact the firm overall‘.
‘They go beyond what is defined and required in the written agreement. Always contactable and willing to coach the client for a better understanding of the case‘.
Capital markets issues at Zul Rafique & Partners are handled by the firm's banking and finance Group. Counting Bahrain Mumtalakat and Allied Irish Bank as recent client wins, it is also known for its work on behalf of HSBC, Bank of China and Standard Chartered. It covers: Islamic financing, cross-border lending, issuance of debt instruments, offshore syndication and asset-backed securitisation. A recent standout case is its role in advising CIMB Investment Bank on a medium term notes programme granted to Semangkuk 2. This high value deal involved the acquisition of industrial warehouses and logistic properties in Malaysia. Recommended lawyers: Loh Mei Mei, Kung Suan Im, Ashela Ramaya, Chan Kwan Hoe and Celine Rangithan.
Maxis Berhad, Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad, Measat Satelite Systems Sdn Bhd
Standard Chartered Bank Group (Standard Chartered Bank (Malaysia) Berhad, Standard Chartered Saadiq Berhad)
Maybank Group (Maybank Investment Bank Berhad, Maybank Islamic Berhad, Malayan Banking Berhad, Maybank International (L) Ltd, other Malayan Banking Berhad branches, ie China, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi)
Bank of China (Malaysia) Berhad
Affin Group (Affin Bank Berhad, Affin Hwang Investment Bank Berhad, Affin Islamic Bank Berhad)
HSBC Group (HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad, HSBC Amanah Malaysia Berhad)
CIMB Bank Group (CIMB Bank Berhad, CIMB Islamic Bank Berhad, CIMB Investment Bank Berhad, CIMB Bank (L) Ltd)
OCBC Group (OCBC Bank (Malaysia) Berhad, OCBC Al-Amin Berhad, Oversea-Chinese Banking Limited Corporation, Labuan Branch)
RHB Group (RHB Bank Berhad, RHB Investment Bank Berhad, RHB Islamic Bank Berhad, RHB Bank (L) Ltd)
MIDF Group (MIDF Amanah Investment Bank Berhad, MIDF Investment Bank Berhad)
- Advised CIMB Investment Bank Berhad in a medium term notes programme of up to RM5 Billion in nominal value granted to Semangkuk 2 Berhad under its asset backed securitisation programme involving the acquisition of commercial/industrial warehouse and logistic properties in Malaysia.
- Advised RHB Investment Bank Berhad and Kuwait Finance House (Malaysia) Berhad on an Islamic Medium Term Notes of up to RM195 Million granted to Halpro Engineering Sdn Bhd to part finance the construction of its solar photovoltaic energy generating facility.
- Advised Genting RMTN Berhad as Issuer and Genting Berhad as Guarantor on a medium term notes programme of RM10 Billion to be utilised by the Issuer for the Guarantor and its subsidiaries’ operating expenses, capital expenditure, investment, refinancing, working capital requirements, general funding requirements and/or other general corporate purposes of the Guarantor and its subsidiaries.
Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff
The capital markets offering at Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff assists clients on a broad spectrum of key issues. These include: initial public offerings, rights issues, convertible securities (including warrants and loan stocks), and investment funds. The team tackles both domestic and international cases and has a significant track record in handling matters relating to the LSE's Alternative Investment Market as well as the following exchanges: Australian (ASX), Hong Kong and Labuan Financial. Recommended lawyers: the 'highly competent' Tan Ming-li, Yeat Soo Ching, Yoon Ming Sun, Evelyn Chan Cher Yeen and the 'meticulous and reliable' Cindy Cheang Foong Kim.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very experienced in advising on capital market matters. Strengths – Experienced, Qualified, Organised and Reliable. Excellent value for money’.
‘Tan Ming Li – She is highly competent, a leader who understand client’s needs and requirements, managed and executed the entire exercise well. Cindy Cheang – She is hardworking, meticulous and reliable, ensured all areas were covered‘.
PLS Plantations Berhad
OCBC Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
Rampai Niaga Sdn Bhd
Yee Lee Corporation Berhad
DPI Holdings Berhad
G3 Global Berhad
ACO Group Berhad
Loob Holding Sdn Bhd
HPP Holdings Berhad
Astramina Group Berhad
AGX Group Berhad
Rev Asia Berhad
At Jeff Leong, Poon & Wong, matters concerning capital markets (particularly equity variants) are handled by the firm's corporate practice. The offering is jointly coordinated by Jeff Leong, Kenny Poon and James Wong (a specialist in debt capital transactions) and frequently advises clients on complex IPOs.
Led by the 'knowledgeable and efficient' Tay Hwee the capital markets team at Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill handles a broad spectrum of sector issues. Specifically, this includes: major debt offerings, (both conventional and Islamic), bond offerings, medium term note programs and sukuk issuances. A recent standout case is its work for Sabah Credit Corporation on amendments to its Islamic Commercial Papers and Medium-Term Notes Programmes. The offering is complemented by the skills of Megat Hizaini Hassan, a renowned expert in Islamic finance as well as the 'knowledgeable and efficient' partners Tay Weng Hwee and Bella Chai Yee Chu.
‘The LHAG team that we worked with is very experienced and able to provide alternatives‘.
‘The partners in charge are very hands-on and attentive to any clarifications‘.
‘Mr Tay Weng Hwee and Ms Bella are the two partners that we always work with whenever we appoint LHAG. The partners are knowledgeable and efficient‘.
Rahmat Lim & Partners' capital markets offering is directed by experienced FinTech practitioner Wan Kai Chee. The practice is particularly known for its work in REITs, IPOs, secondary issuances, employee share schemes and warrants. The team includes corporate finance expert Zandra Tan and debt capital markets specialist Kelvin Loh. Notably, the firm also handles Islamic matters and recently supported the issuance of medium term notes based on the principle of Sukuk Murabahah (via a Tawarruq arrangement) for Edra Solar.
- Establishing an asset-backed securitization programme for the issuance of medium term notes of up to MYR5 billion in nominal value (“ABS Programme”); and the issuance of asset-backed medium term notes of MYR850 million under the ABS Programme Advised Semangkuk 2 Berhad in respect of: its establishment of an asset-backed securitisation Programme of up to MYR5 billion (“ Semangkuk 2 ABS Programme ”), and the issuance of 7-year medium term notes of MYR850 million pursuant to Semangkuk 2 ABS Programme, the proceeds of which were utilised , inter alia , to acquire a property in Malaysia.
- Issuance of Take-out Medium Term Notes of MYR445 million by Semangkuk Berhad pursuant to an Asset-Backed Securitisation Programme of up to MYR2 billion, and amendments to the terms of such programme Advised Semangkuk Berhad in respect of: the amendments to the terms of the Asset-Backed Securitisation Programme of up to MYR2 billion established by Semangkuk Berhad (“ ABS Programme ”), and the issuance of seven-year Take-out Medium Term Notes of MYR445 million pursuant to the ABS Programme.
- Issuance of the sustainable and responsible investment Islamic medium term notes based on the Shariah principle of Sukuk Murabahah (via a Tawarruq arrangement) of up to MYR245 million in nominal value by Edra Solar Sdn. Bhd. Advised Edra Solar Sdn. Bhd. on the issuance of its sustainable and responsible investment Islamic medium term notes based on the Shariah principle of Sukuk Murabahah (via a Tawarruq arrangement) of up to MYR245 million in nominal value for the development of a 50MWac solar photovoltaic energy generating facility located in Kuala Ketil, Kedah.
Headed by Cynthia Toh Mei Lee, the capital markets offering at Wong Beh & Toh represents issuers, investment banks, underwriters and shareholders. Handling listings and securities offerings in domestic and foreign stock exchanges, it covers an extensive range of complementary issues. These include: regulatory due diligence, reverse takeovers, transfers of listings, rights issues, secondary offerings and foreign securities. Lin Lin Yeap is recommended for IPOs, M&A and Islamic financing.
Other key lawyers:
Ben & Partners
Corporate finance expert Ben Ree Koay leads the capital markets team at boutique practice Ben & Partners. With a substantive emphasis on publicly listed companies pursuing domestic or international flotations, it has particular expertise in HKEx matters. Industries served by the team include mining, telemarketing, oil, gas and logistics. Notably, Ching Yong Lim departed for Ching, Elaine & Co in September 2019.
Tan Sri Dr’ Chen Lip Keong
TBK & Sons Holdings Limited
Spring Art Holdings Berhad
Mestron Holdings Berhad
NSA Technology Sdn Bhd
MNC Wireless Berhad
Mercury Securities Sdn Bhd
Shanghai Geoharbour Construction Group Co. Ltd.
- Advised TBK, in the capacity as Malaysian legal counsel, on its flotation on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. TBK group is a civil and structural works contractor undertaking civil and structural works in the oil and gas industry in Malaysia and was successfully listed on 30 September 2019.
- Advised Spring Art on its flotation on the ACE Market of the Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad. Spring Art designs and manufacture ready to assemble home and office furnitures for export markets and was successfully listed on 8 November 2019. https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/spring-art-raise-rm24m-ipo-new-factory https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/spring-art-ipo-oversubscribed-147-times
- Advised Geoharbour, in the capacity as Malaysian legal counsel, on its holding company’s proposed flotation on the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
Having built on its reputation in litigation and real estate, the team at David Lai & Tan has expanded its offering to cover corporate and commercial and capital markets. Specifically, it now handles matters such as take-overs, acquisitions, capital fund raising, joint ventures and initial public offerings. Lead partner Tan Yee Boon is an established disputes practitioner who now concentrates his efforts on listing regulations, sector compliance and advisory works for listed companies.
Snack Empire Holdings Limited
Nomad Technologies Holdings Limited
Infinity Logistics & Transport Ventures Limited
C-Link Squared Limited
MOG Holdings Limited
MBV International Limited
Ritamix Global Limited
- Acted as the sole counsel on Malaysian law for the listing of our Client and all its operating subsidiaries (“Malaysian Companies”) on the Main Board of HKEX (“the Listing”), successfully listed on 23 October 2019.
- Acted as the sole counsel on Malaysian law for the listing of our Client and all its operating subsidiaries (“Malaysian Companies”) on the Main Board of HKEX (“the Listing”), successfully listed on 9 December 2019.
- Acted as the sole counsel on Malaysian law for the listing of our Client and all its operating subsidiaries (“Malaysian Companies”) on the Main Board of HKEX (“the Listing”), successfully listed on 21 January 2020.
Led by Tan Kong Yam, the capital markets offering at Kadir Andri & Partners covers a broad spectrum of sector issues. These include: company acquisitions, asset management, de-mergers, schemes of arrangement and 'selective capital reduction exercises'. Clients are drawn from both domestic and international sectors and incorporate industries such as banking, insurance, plantations, energy and telecommunications. Samuel Hong is recommended for M&A.
Other key lawyers:
Sime Darby Plantation Berhad
Maybank Group of Companies
CIMB Group of Companies
- Advised Aerodyne Ventures Sdn Bhd, Malaysian-incorporated world leading drone-based management solutions provider in relation to itsUSD30 million issuance of Series B Cumulative Preference Shares
Mah-Kamariyah & Philip Koh's capital markets practice represents clients with both Malaysia- and Hong Kong-based IPOs. It is led by Adrian Koh and features Yee Chew Yan, both recognised for their banking and corporate expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Mohamed Ridza & Co
Mohamed Ridza Abdullah and Sharifah Shafika Alsagoff lead the capital markets team at Mohamed Ridza & Co. Assisting clients at both domestic and international levels, it regularly drafts transaction and security documentation for submission to the Securities Commission of Malaysia. In addition, it conducts due diligence on Islamic securities using Shariah concepts such as Ijarah and Murabaha.
AmInvestment Bank Berhad, CIMB Investment Bank Berhad, Maybank Investment Berhad and RHB Investment Bank Berhad
Lembaga Tabung Haji
- Advised AmInvestment Bank Berhad, CIMB Investment Bank Berhad, Maybank Investment Berhad and RHB Investment Bank Berhad in respect of the Islamic Commercial Papers and Islamic Medium Term Notes Programme of up to RM71.0 Billion issued by DanaInfra Nasional Berhad.
- Represented Lembaga Tabung Haji in respect of the proposed transfer of underperforming assets worth RM19.9 Billion to a special purpose vehicle owned by the Ministry of Finance, Malaysia
Ching, Elaine & Co
Lim Ching Yong leads the capital markets offering at new boutique practice Ching, Elaine & Co. Established by former Ben & Partners' personnel, it counts Vizione Holdings and Trive Property Group as key clients. Acting for a number of publicly listed operations, it is particularly notable for its sector work in property development, engineering and shipping. Lee Elaine is another key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is led by 2 partners who specialise in legal matters pertaining to corporate finance and capital markets, especially for corporate exercises undertaken by listed companies. With their hands-on experience, they are able to tackle complex issues and explain them in simpler terms for clients to understand and make the necessary decisions. They also accommodate urgent requests even under tight timelines. They are able to provide practical and commercially driven solutions to the issues in hand‘.
‘The partner that we mainly work with is Lee Elaine. We value her preparedness, commitment and professionalism in executing the required legal work. With her mixed legal background in corporate finance / capital markets and corporate litigation, she is able to offer practical advice and solutions from multiple perspectives‘.
For capital markets cases at Christopher & Lee Ong, the key partner to note is Yon See Ting. Equally adept at antitrust and M&A, she leads a team covering equity, debt and hybrid instruments. IPOs and extra-jurisdictional listings are also covered.
HL Tan Lim & Partners
Known for its handling of the due diligence and administrative aspects of IPOs, the capital markets team at HL Tan Lim & Partners is led by Ronald Tan. A recent client win is Synergy Group Holdings International, a firm it assisted with the restructuring of a HK$50m secured notes programme.
Songful Holdings Berhad
Synergy Group Holdings International Limited
Anakku Sdn Bhd
- Represented Loob Holdings Berhad on a proposed IPO on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Stock Exchange
- Acted for Songful Holdings Berhad on a US$100.0m fund raising of Redeemable Preference Shares as lodged with the Securities Commission
- Assisted Synergy Group Holdings International Limited with the restructuring of a HK$50.0m Secured Notes programme
Managed by the 'exceptional lawyer' Peter Ling, the 'efficient and proficient' capital markets offering at Peter Ling & van Geyzel represents clients with matters in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore. Notably, a recent portfolio win is Rimbaco Group Global Limited, a company it advised on a USD10.45 million IPO on the Main Board of Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
‘The team is efficient and proficient in what they do. Excellent leadership by Peter Ling‘.
‘Peter Ling is an exceptional lawyer, as he actually listens to what we as the client really need, in order to execute transactions. In private equity investing, most of the time we require customize and innovative ideas, and Peter Ling never ceased to deliver‘.
MSCM Holdings Berhad
PRG Holdings Berhad
Rimbaco Group Global Limited
TFP Solutions Berhad
Tiger Synergy Berhad
- Advised Rimbaco Group Global Limited on its USD10.45 million IPO on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong.
- Advised Tiger Synergy Berhad on its RM102.0 million rights issuance and private placement on Bursa Malaysia.
- Advised MSCM Holdings Berhad on its RM53.2 million rights issuance on Bursa Malaysia.
Zain & Co
The corporate department at Zain & Co handles the firm's work in capital markets. Led by Salwah Abdul Shukor it is particularly known for its profile within the global film and media industry (where it advises on funding and slate financing arrangements) as well as hotel management agreements. Notably, the team is also recommended for Islamic finance and capital market matters where it handles the Shariah principles of Murabahah, Musyaraqah, Mutanaqisah, and Ijarah. Pauline Ngiam is the name to note for M&A.
Other key lawyers:
Permodalan Nasional Berhad
- Advised Permodalan Nasional Berhad, Jewel Digital Ventures Sdn. Bhd. & Amanah Saham Nasional Berhadon the structure of the joint venture and drafted, reviewed and commented on the Joint Venture Agreement between Raiz Invest Australia Limited (Raiz Australia), Jewel Digital Ventures Sdn Bhd (JDV) and Raiz Malaysia Sdn Bhd (Raiz Malaysia). Drafting, reviewing and commenting on the Share Purchase and Subscription Agreement to be entered into between the three parties.