The ‘extremely proactive and responsive‘ team at Allen & Overy Luxembourg provides vital support to corporates, financial institutions and funds on big-ticket cross-border M&A, where it often works alongside practitioners from throughout the firm’s large international network. Peter Myners has ‘good market insight‘, particularly as it pertains to transactions on behalf of financial sponsors. Appreciated for his ‘excellent “bedside manner”‘ and his ability to remain ‘calm and focused in difficult situations‘, Jacques Graas is also regularly involved in fund-related transactions, as well as in relation to consolidation within the financial services sector. Praised for his ‘client and service-oriented‘ approach, Fabian Beullekens heads the overarching team that also includes vastly experienced of counsel Marc Feider, counsel Marc Tkatcheff and the ‘very knowledgeable and reactive‘ counsel Sylvian Cailleau.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Luxembourg
Allen & Overy Luxembourg
‘It is an exceptional team that is very much client and service-oriented.’
‘They combine technical excellence with a commercial approach.’
‘The firm’s commercial, corporate and M&A practice in Luxembourg is really reliable and this makes an important difference for us. We know that when we engage them to assist us with a transaction, it will be managed well, efficiently and within the set deadlines.’
‘Exceptional individuals serving clients’ needs and understanding business priorities. The team is available round the clock.’
‘The team is extremely proactive and responsive. They are well organized and work to co-ordinate effectively with the firm’s offices in other jurisdictions.’
‘Jacques Graas has an excellent “bed side manner” – remaining calm and focused on difficult situations.’
‘Sylvain Caillault is very knowledgeable and reactive.’
‘Peter Myners is very responsive and has good market insight.’
Oaktree Capital Management
The Riverside Company
Quintet Private Bank
CVC Capital Partners
Generali Real Estate Group
Banque et Caisse d’Epargne de l’Etat
Benefitting from a ‘full understanding of local and international laws and regulations’, the ‘incredibly knowledgeable‘ team at Arendt & Medernach is well-equipped to provide a ‘friendly and pragmatic service‘ across a tremendous volume and range of matters for multinational corporates, SMEs, private equity firms and financial services entities. As part of his broad offering, ‘incredible‘ team head Laurent Schummer regularly handles work for start-ups and venture capital firms and is noted for his ability to ‘find innovative solutions’. Bob Calmes is also regularly engaged in start-up-related work, while at the other end of the spectrum he regularly advises major financial sponsors and is also recognised as being ‘very knowledgeable about SPACs’. Guy Harles ‘excels at complex business matters‘ and is a key member of the team that also includes the ‘pragmatic and solutions-oriented‘ Alexander Olliges and Carsten Opitz, who provides ‘precise but flexible‘ advice on corporate structuring and governance.
‘ We enjoyed the innovative solutions they proposed in challenging situations.’
‘The team is incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. They not only have a full understanding of local and international laws and regulations, but also understand the start-up technology world and advise us on what is best for a company of our size.’
‘The practice stands out due to its friendly and pragmatic service. At Arendt, we find that we can always rely on the team to provide us with advice that is easy to understand and apply, without complex legalese.’
‘Laurent Schummer is well-connected in Luxembourg and has an international background. We find innovative solutions together and he is a very good advisor for future contractual business needs.’
‘Laurent Schummer is incredible. He is very proactive and in general already has the answer before you ask the questions. He is really a pleasure to work with.’
‘Alexander Ollliges is pragmatic and solutions-oriented.’
‘Bob Calmes is very knowledgeable about SPACs.’
‘The outstanding Carsten Opitz provides precise but flexible advice.’
Keurig Dr Pepper
- Advised the Luxembourg shareholders of the Luxembourg headquartered Ceratizit S.A. (“Ceratizit”), the fourth largest carbide manufacturer in the world, in the context of a takeover by the Austrian Plansee Group.
- Advised French global beauty and cosmetics company listed at the NY stock exchange (NYSE) Coty Inc. on its strategic partnership with leading global NYSE-listed investment company KKR & Co. Inc.
- Advised FREYR, a Norway-based developer of clean, next-generation battery, cell production capacity, in the context of its strategic business combination with Alussa Energy Acquisition Corp.
Combining in-depth knowledge of Luxembourg law and also able to leverage the firm’s international network, Clifford Chance‘s two-partner team is well-positioned to advise on big-ticket cross-border M&A involving a Luxembourg investment vehicle, particularly on behalf of the firm’s strong institutional roster of private equity sponsors. The team has also been at the forefront of emerging technology, including fintech matters, and combines intimate subject matter knowledge of the evolving technology, regulatory expertise, as well as knowledge of venture capital-related funding. Christian Kremer and Katia Gauzès co-head the team and regularly take the lead on big-ticket sponsor-led and corporate-based M&A, as well as having strong capabilities on IPO structuring.
Other key lawyers:
China Three Gorges
Infracapital and AMP
Tristan Capital Partner
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
Stirling Square Capital Partners
Midas International Asset Management
Blockchain Luxembourg S.A.
- Advised Allegro, Poland’s number one commerce platform and most recognised e-commerce brand, on its $11.2bn IPO, Warsaw Stock Exchange’s largest IPO to date.
- Advised AlterDomus, a global provider of fund administration, debt capital markets and corporate services backed by the Permira funds, on a series of strategic acquisitions which were executed at the end of 2020.
- Advised Partners Group, one of the world’s pre-eminent private markets investment managers, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Rovensa, a leading provider of speciality crop nutrition, protection and biocontrol products, from Bridgepoint.
Elvinger Hoss Prussen provides ‘incredibly responsive and very creative‘ advice to local and international entities across a range of commercial matters, as well as in a transactional context, including as it pertains to M&A, joint venture structuring and large-scale reorganisations. Benefitting from a ‘great understanding of the tax and economic side of deals’, Toinon Hoss has an excellent reputation among private equity funds for M&A work, where she is noted for her ‘hands-on approach‘ and willingness to really fight to protect her clients' needs. Philippe Hoss is a stalwart of the local market and as well as handling conventional M&A and capital markets work, is also at the cutting edge of developments, as was recently exemplified by his representation of Alussa Energy Acquisition on its business combination with Norway-based energy company FLEYR, in what was one of the first de-SPAC transactions involving Luxembourg. Pit Reckinger is also recommended.
‘The team is incredibly responsive and very creative.’
‘The firm has deep knowledge, network and roots with Luxembourg law.’
‘It is always very proactive and ready to help at any time and in the best manner.’
‘Toinon Hoss is a unique character, totally involved and hands on. Smart, innovative and fighting for her clients. Great understanding of tax and economic side of deals, beyond pure legal.’
Sixth Street Partners
atHome Group SA
Alussa Energy Acquisition Corp.
Ardagh Metal Packaging S.A.
- Advised Volkswagen on the Luxembourg law aspects of its planned takeover offer for Europcar Mobility Group.
- Advised Alussa Energy Acquisition Corp., a Cayman Island exempted special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), on its business combination with Norway-based energy company Fleyr, in what was one of the first de-SPAC transactions involving Luxembourg.
- Advised Cleversoft Group GmbH, backed by Main Capital, on the 100% acquisition of CDDS, a Luxembourg-based leading software and data provider for Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know your Customer (KYC) solutions, in order to accelerate international expansion and product innovation in the RegTech industry.
Unsurprisingly, in light of its huge international reach, Linklaters‘ sweet spot lies in its ability to provide Luxembourg law advice across strategic and sponsor-led M&A, primarily in the context of big-ticket cross-border transactions. Although the three-partner team, which is headed by Nicolas Gauzès, is sector agnostic it has developed particular expertise in relation to financial services transactions (including fintech), as well as on behalf of investment management firms. As well as his downstream and upstream private equity-related expertise, Manfred Müller is also adept at handling corporate real estate transactions, including for real estate fund clients. The team has also been at the forefront of the burgeoning SPAC market in Luxembourg and played a key role in relation to electric vehicle producer Arrival on its business combination with a US SPAC and the subsequent listing on the NASDAQ exchange. Muller and Rémy Bonneau were both involved in the aforementioned transaction.
Other key lawyers:
SkyLake Investment Co. Ltd
Centerbridge Partners L.P.
VP Bank (Luxembourg) SA
Montagu Private Equity
The ‘very knowledgeable and proactive‘ six-partner team at Loyens & Loeff has a particularly strong reputation advising global private equity sponsors, including The Carlyle Group and EQT Partners, on cross-border M&A transactions. In this context, the team which is headed by Frederic Franckx, is particularly effective at handling Benelux-related mandates, where it is able to provide a one-stop-shop service alongside its Belgium and Netherlands offices. The ‘excellent’ Guy Palmaers is ‘well-connected in the Luxembourg market’ and harnesses this to good effect for funds and corporates on major cross-border mandates. As part of his restructuring prowess, the ‘user-friendly and level-headed‘ Michael Scott excels at advising funds on distressed M&A matters and is a key member of the team that also includes the ‘outstanding‘ Mathilde Lattard.
Other key lawyers:
‘The good thing about Loyens & Loeff is that they are very strong in the entire Benelux region. They cover all relevant areas of business with top professionals in the entire region. They act as “one-stop-shop” in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.’
‘The team, across the different jurisdictions we work with, are very well joined up, and communicate internally to ensure all cross-border structures are compliant with all relevant tax and legal aspects, and they are proactive in doing this.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable and proactive.’
‘The corporate team is young, ambitious, technically knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘Guy Palmaers is excellent and well connected in the Luxembourg market. He is a pleasure to work with, legally excellent and very reliable.’
‘Mathilde Lattard is an outstanding partner, very close and approachable to her clients. Her patience and competency are amazing. It almost feels like we as a client, are part of one single team.’
‘Michael Scott is user-friendly and level-headed.’
The Carlyle Group
CPP Investment Board Europe
JAB Holding Company
Nippon Steel/Arcelor Mittal
- Advised the Copenhagen-based group Nets on its all-share merger with the Milan-based online payment provider Nexi to create Europe’s largest payments group for a transaction value of €7.8bn.
- Assisted CPPIB on its joint venture investment with Enbridge for the acquisition and holding of a new generation floating wind farm project, as well as the restructuring of the holding structure itself.
- Advising IMFARR Beteiligungs GmbH on the Luxembourg corporate, tax and financial aspects of two of the largest recent German real estate acquisitions: the acquisition of the “Silberturm” in Frankfurt am Main and the headquarters of Nestlé Germany (Nestlé Campus).
Taking the lead on local transactions, as well as providing invaluable support to offices spread across the firm’s vast international network, Baker McKenzie has strong market traction on behalf of funds and corporates, which are appreciative of ‘the tailor-made approach it provides to the client’. The ‘outstanding‘ Jean-François Findling is praised for his ‘ability to think outside the box‘ and has a particular niche advising banks and insurance companies on acquisitions and joint ventures. Elodie Duchêne co-heads the two-partner team alongside Findling.
‘Strong network. Highly-skilled individuals and proven long-term experience.’
‘What makes this practice unique is the tailor-made approach it provides to the client.’
‘The outstanding Jean-Francois Findling, thinks outside the box, is agile and responsive.’
‘Jean-François Findling is proactive and is able to offer constant strategic advice on the top of regular legal services.’
‘We work with Jean-Francois Findling and Nicolas Clement from the firm’s commercial, corporate and M&A practice. They know us really well and understand our needs and requirements.’
Union Bancaire Privée
CVC Capital Partners
OGEO Fund OFP
- Advised Actera with respect to the structuring of an acquisition and investment vehicle in relation to the indirect purchase of a majority shareholding in a Turkey listed company.
- Advised Macquarie on the sale of a significant stake in the Spanish electricity firm Viesgo, an energy group in Spain to Portuguese utility company EDP.
- Assisted Castlelake, the global private investment firm, on the Luxembourg corporate law aspects related to the potential enforcement of a pledge granted by Aedes SIIQ S.pA. to Castlelake over some of the shares of EFIR S.à r.l., a Luxembourg entity, as a security to the subscription by Castlelake to €45m floating rate notes issued by Aedes SIIQ S.pA.
Drawing upon ‘excellent technical expertise‘, BSP provides ‘practical and efficient advice’ to private equity firms on the Luxembourg law aspects of their cross-border M&A mandates. In this context, team head Linda Harroch continues to be particularly active for longstanding client Advent International. Recently promoted partner Michaël Kitai is ‘fully dedicated to his clients‘, both across transactional work, as well as in the context of corporate governance.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team displays technical expertise, communicates well with the client and is efficient.’
‘Excellent interpersonal skills, practical and efficient advice provided in a timely manner.’
‘Michael Kitai is an appreciated contributor who is fully dedicated to his clients and does his best to meet their needs.’
Global Infrastructure Partners
Biotoscana Investments SA
Global Infrastructure Partners
Biotoscana Investments SA
- Advised Advent on the Luxembourg part of its equity financing, and the joint-venture debt financing relating to its acquisition, along with Cinven Partners, of the ThyssenKrupp elevator technology business.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on the acquisition of the Blanchardstown Centre in Dublin, which is Ireland’s largest shopping centre, from Blackstone.
- Advised Global Infrastructure Partners on Luxembourg law on the $325m secured term loan for Saavi Energia, the fourth largest independent power producer and the largest privately held stand-alone power generator in Mexico.
The ‘practical and user-friendly‘ team at Luther S.A. handles corporate and commercial work throughout the project life cycle, including advice on incorporation issues for foreign companies setting up in Luxembourg, as well as in the context of M&A transactions. The scope of the client base is broad and includes SMEs, corporates and private equity funds. Eric Sublon is ‘at the top of his game’ and is consequently the ‘trusted advisor to a serious array of clients’, which he assists on M&A work, JV structuring and reorganisations. Appreciated for his ‘hands-on approach‘, Mathieu Laurent not only advises on transactional matters but also provides very effective advice across a range of commercial contract matters, including shareholder agreements, which are drafted through the prism of his litigation expertise – thereby afforded extra risk management protection. The team also has a particular focus on servicing Germany-based clients, by dint of its strong German roots and its broader network.
‘Highly effective lawyers capable of working on very high powered transactions while remaining down-to-earth.’
‘We have been working with Luther M&A team for almost ten years and we are satisfied with their service. They are always very prompt and practical in their responses.’
‘Top flight commercial team. Practical, user-friendly and can handle transactions much larger than their size might suggest.’
‘It is a very professional team, showing lots of resilience and is calm in difficult negotiations.’
‘Eric Sublon: at the top of his game, Eric is trusted advisor to a serious array of clients and it’s easy to see why. No safer pair of hands.’
‘Selim Souissi is responsive, understands all issues including the French aspects, and proposes innovative solutions.’
‘Mathieu Laurent is a prominent individual within the firm. His “always hands-on” approach and the ability to precisely see the business needs of the client make him stand out.’
‘Anna Gassner is an experienced M&A lawyer who is used to negotiating complex M&A deals. She is business oriented and pragmatic and always open to find balanced solutions to get the deal done.’
Neuheim Lux Group Holding V S.à r.l. (affiliate of Sun Capital)
IK Investment Partners
- Advising on the offer to take Altice Europe private in a €2.5bn buyout and namely advising Next Alt S.à.r.l, a company wholly owned by Patrick Drahi, the founder and majority shareholder of Altice Europe, a leading European cable, telecommunications and entertainment company, on the overall structuring and corporate and financing aspects of its agreement with Altice Europe of an all cash offer valuing the company at €4.9bn.
- Advising Dynamica, an independent Belgium private equity investor, on the Luxembourg corporate and regulatory aspects related to its acquisition of a majority stake in ICT provider System Solutions.
- Advising the Stuttgart-based fashion and lifestyle company Breuninger on its acquisition of the fashion store KONEN and its Luxembourg branch Bram.
Acting on its own, and also able to access the vast resources across the firm’s extensive global resources, PwC Legal Luxembourg‘s four-partner team is well-positioned to provide both day-to-day corporate advisory assistance, as well as to advise clients on M&A transactions.Catherine Baflast heads up the overarching practice, and as well as her transactional capabilities, also regularly provides corporate governance input, as well as helping to secure the necessary licences for companies to establish operations in the country. Jean-Philippe Smeets left the firm.
‘The team is knowledgeable and has a good understanding of the customer business.’
‘The team has solid know-how and has a reliable approach. It delivers on its promises.’
The ‘very knowledgeable‘ three-partner team at Stibbe provides ‘practical and pragmatic‘ advice to private equity firms on the Luxembourg corporate structuring associated with their M&A activity and in this context frequently collaborates with lawyers from the firm’s Benelux network on cross-border deals. Gérald Origer displays a ‘hands-on approach‘ and heads up the team that also includes Bernard Beerens, who ‘has an exceptional business acumen and understands not only complex legal questions, but also operational aspects and underlying business drivers’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stibbe Luxembourg is one of the outstanding law firms in Luxembourg with an excellent quality, dedicated and commited people with a “best of class” customer orientation.’
‘The team provides creative solutions for tricky problems.’
‘Response time to customer demands is excellent, the quality of advice is very high and helped us to resolve the questions coming up during the year in projects of liquidation of corporate structures and other corporate problems to be solved.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable, always providing practical and pragmatic advice.’
‘Gérald Origer is easy to work with and has a hands-on approach.
‘Bernard Beerens has an exceptional business acumen and understands not only complex legal questions, but also operational aspects and underlying business drivers. He is very approachable and makes himself available.’
‘Bernard Beerens is experienced and reliable.’
Wright Medical Group N.V. / Wright Luxembourg S.A.
Oaktree Capital Management
Agro Merchants Group
AE Industrial Partners
Third Bridge Private Equity
- Assisted Wright Medical Group, a global medical device company focused on Extremities and Biologics, in its acquisition by Stryker.
- Advised InPost S.A. on its IPO and listing on Euronext Amsterdam.
- Assisted Investindustrial on various private equity and corporate matters, including inter alia: the exit from its portfolio investment in luxury carmaker Aston Martin Lagonda and its acquisition of a participation in Knoll.
The ‘empathetic, supportive and technical‘ three-partner team at Bonn & Schmitt handles a wide range of corporate and commercial work, including restructurings/spin-offs, JVs and shareholder agreement drafting. On the transactional side, the ‘very pragmatic‘ Frédéric Lemoine is ‘highly knowledgeable on Luxembourg corporate law matters‘ and regularly provides the local law structuring advice pursuant to M&A mandates handled by the firm’s private equity roster of clients which includes Capvis and EQT.
Other key lawyers:
‘It is a team that accompanies our company at all times and is attentive to our weaknesses and needs.’
‘The team is empathetic, supportive and technical.’
‘Frederic Lemoine – very pragmatic approach and hands on advice. Highly knowledgeable in Luxembourg corporate law.’
Leveraging the firm’s rapidly growing local investment funds offering, as well as its broader global institutional ties in the asset management space, CMS has been particularly effective on behalf of a growing roster of private equity firms on their cross-border M&A mandates. ‘Very resourceful‘ team head Gérard Maîtrejean has an ‘ability to think outside the box’, and to provide ‘innovative solutions‘ to clients which often implement an integrated solution drawing upon practitioners from across the firm’s broad international network.
‘The team creates tailored solutions which are delivered on a daily basis to the highest quality standards. They are proactive and always try to comply to the client’s requests, which are not always the most straightforward.’
‘What makes CMS Luxembourg unique is that they have an excellent knowledge of the corporate legal and regulatory framework both in Luxembourg and in all three other European countries we operate.’
‘Gerard Maîtrejean is really competent, has enormous technical skills and is always available.’
‘I worked with Gerard Maîtrejean for many years. He is a very resourceful lawyer always able to catch the ball before things go wrong. I have seen him on multiple occasions helping a client in dire need of very technical and urgent legal advice and he always delivered. He is my number one go-to lawyer!’
‘Gerard Maitrejean has an ability to think outside the box, to provide innovative solutions and ideas and to simplify complex propositions and schemes.’
‘Andreea Antonescu is a great lawyer who is able to think outside the box.’
‘Mélody Brunot is really an outstanding lawyer with not just a profound knowledge of corporate law but an understanding of business and clients needs. Communications and support is fast, to the point and no-nonsense.’
‘Pawel Hermelinski is a highly skilled and pragmatic lawyer.’
INVESTCORP HOLDING BSC
RECKITT BENCKISER GROUP
REAL ASSETS ADVISERS LTD
APG ASSET MANAGEMENT N.V. (APG)
ASSURANCES DU CREDIT MUTUEL
MAYFAIR EQUITY PARTNERS
Although it was weakened somewhat by the departure of former team head Gérard Maîtrejean to CMS at the beginning of 2020, the team at Dentons has effectively begun rebuilding, with the arrival of the ‘reliable and accurate‘ Namik Ramic in May 2020 from Elvinger Hoss Prussen a real statement of intent. Ramic has a focus on private equity-led M&A work and co-heads the team alongside Shahoui Zhang, who has niche expertise advising Chinese clients investing in Luxembourg, as well as European entities looking to expand into China.
‘The firm’s international reach, pragmatic approach to matters, as well as timely and high quality deliverables are the key drivers to their success. Clients receive the necessary attention and fast and high-quality feedback.’
‘Namik Ramic would be best defined by the word “reliable”. Quick, precise, accurate and on deadline, that is what Namik is as a lawyer.’
SDAAC R&D center and ESTRA Automotive System Sàrl
CIBC Capital Markets (Europe) S.A.
Mavin Property Fund
Intermediate Capital Group (ICG)
Infracapital Partners Funds
- A cross-border Dentons team advised VTB Capital on the acquisition of a $75m stake in global car sharing company Delimobil Holding SA.
- Advised Mavin Property Fund on the restructuring of the group; the matter included a demerger of a Luxembourg SIF (to be deregulated) into three new companies for the segregation of real estate assets (hotels, parking and retails) including loans and mortgages.
- Advising Europa Capital on the sale of a Dutch and German portfolio of urban logistics and warehouse assets to Strategic Industrial Real Estate (SIRE), Arrow Capital Partners’ platform backed by Cerberus to Arrow Capital Partners.
Under the guidance of Catherine Pogorzelski, DLA Piper continues to gain market visibility since its establishment in 2014. It is particularly effective at advising on multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions, where it is able to leverage its large international network of offices. The team has also generated some work from the burgeoning start-up scene in Luxembourg, including assisting a domestic fintech-focused venture capital firm on its initial fund structuring as well as in the pursuit of investment opportunities.
Other key lawyers:
Suning Sports International
Middle Game Ventures Fund I
Permodolan Nasional Berhad
- Advising MiddleGame Ventures, a Luxembourg fintech venture capital investment fund investing in early stage growth businesses focused on financial innovation (fund set up by the DLA Piper Luxembourg funds team), in relation to its first and second investments in Next Gate Tech Investment.
- Advising General Mills, Inc., an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of branded consumer foods sold through retail stores, on its intragroup and cross-border restructuring.
- Advising Permodolan Nasional Berhad, one of the largest fund management companies in Malaysia, on the acquisition of majority stake in a Luxembourg private limited liability company holding real estate assets in Germany.
Although it is relatively small compared to some of its peers in the ranking, Hogan Lovells (Luxembourg) LLP is able to 'punch above its weight', in part by virtue of its ‘willingness to collaborate across subject matters and across jurisdictions to complete complex transactions’. ‘Very responsive‘ team head Alexander Koch has ‘strong intellectual capabilities‘, which he deploys to good effect, particularly in the context of corporate real estate work.
‘They have a real international network. One contact point managing several countries for you. It is a real service as you have only one interlocutor in one country managing everything for you. They provide a really amazing service!’
‘The professionals at Hogan Lovells demonstrate both a high quality of subject matter expertise in their area of the law, as well as a willingness to collaborate across subject matters and across jurisdictions to complete complex transactions.’
‘On top of being very qualified professionals, they have great values and are very nice.’
‘Alexander Koch has strong intellectual capabilities and is very responsive.’
Garbe Industrial Real Estate
M&G Real Estate
Sequoia Capital China
Intermediate Capital Group
- Advised Garbe Industrial Real Estate on the acquisition of a portfolio of four modern logistics properties located in Regensburg, Beselich, Halle and Flieden, totalling over 110,000 sqm.
- Advised the BOURBON Group, leader in the offshore marine services market, on the restructuring of €3bn in equity and debts.
- Advised Sequoia Capital China in its majority stake in ready-to-wear brand Ami Group.
The ‘friendly, knowledgeable and responsive‘ team at KLEYR GRASSO receives referral work from international law firms, as well as instructions directly from regional funds and corporates to advise on both the buy and sell-side of transactions. The team continues to generate a significant flow of work for growth private equity firm TA Associates, including in the context of acquisitions in the IT sector. Delphine Tempé provides ‘an extremely diligent and thorough service’, in a transactional setting as well as in relation to corporate governance. Rina Breininger retired in June 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is friendly, knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘Delphine Tempe is knowledgeable, always available, and does her best to serve her clients’ interests in a commonly acceptable manner.’
‘Delphine Tempe provides an extremely diligent and thorough service while also being practical. She cares about our business. In addition, she is very personable and great to work with on a personal level.’
Trois I, Investissements Industriels Internationaux S.A.
IK Investment Partners
The ‘smart and proactive‘ three-partner team at NautaDutilh is ‘good at finding commercial solutions‘ for corporate and funds clients across a range of transactions, as well as on day-to-day operational work. The firm works particularly well with other complementary practice areas, including banking and tax, and is able to leverage the expertise of its international offices to provide a seamless service on Benelux matters. Romain Sabatier is ‘pragmatic and technically strong‘ and co-heads the team alongside Margaretha Wilkenhuysen and Yoanna Stefanova.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are always ready to take time with the client to achieve their target in the most efficent manner, but not foregoing quality and duty of care for the client.’
‘They not only focus on the task at hand but consider the overall impact on the client for the long term.’
‘The team is smart and proactive; good at finding commercial solutions.’
‘Romain Sabatier is pragmatic and technically strong.’
Mérieux Equity Partners
International Automotive Components (IAC)
Bridgepoint Services SARL
Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P. (THL)
Mid Europa Partners
Apex Group Ltd
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
- Provided local law advice to Schwarz Group in the acquisition from Suez by PreZero (the environmental division of German retailer Schwarz Group) of the recycling and recovery operations – excluding plastic recycling and hazardous waste treatment activities – in the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany and Poland.
- Advised Thomas H. Lee Partners (THL) regarding the agreement between THL, Autostore and SoftBank further to which Softbank acquired 40% of shares in AutoStore from funds affiliated with THLand EQT Private Equity, among other shareholders.
- Assisting RTL Group as lead counsel in connection with the contemplated combination of RTL Nederland’s and Talpa Network’s broadcasting and affiliated media businesses in the Netherlands.
Pinsent Masons entered the market in July 2022 following its recruitment of a number of former Wildgen partners and teams. The ‘young and agile‘ team is ‘client-driven‘ and provides a ‘strongly reactive‘ service to multinational corporates, family businesses, start-ups and funds across a range of transactional and ongoing corporate and commercial work. Isabelle Charlier heads the team.
‘They are young and agile, and quick thinkers.’
‘It is a good team that is client-driven.’
‘They always listen and try to understand clients.’
‘The team is strongly reactive,’
‘Yann Payen is very agile and forward-thinking.’
PLATINUM EQUITY LLC
SOVEREIGN CAPITAL PARTNERS
SPE CAPITAL PARTNERS
THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC GROUP
- Advised Thermo Fisher Scientific on an important reorganisation of the group including nine different phases with the objective to integrate newly acquired companies and optimise group’s organisation.
- Advised longstanding client Platinum Equity on the acquisition of Pattonair group and post-acquisition restructuring and consolidation aspects of the Incora group (resulting from the combination of the Wesco Aircraft group after acquisition by the Pattonair group).
- Advised Pacific Drilling, within the framework of a reorganisation under US Chapter 11, on a complex reshape of its corporate structure in order to reboost the earnings and cash-generating efficiency.
‘One of the rising stars in the Luxembourg market for legal and tax advice’, boutique firm TS&P has ‘an excellent knowledge of the law and the market’, which has seen it pick some impressive mandates, particularly on behalf of private equity sponsors. Team head Torsten Schmitt is recommended.
‘Although still small, the firm is one of the rising stars in the Luxembourg market for legal and tax advice. Under the guidance of Torsten Schmitt the firm has been developing well with an excellent approach to customer needs, immediate and dedicated response covering all areas required in that context.’
‘It is a very good team with an excellent knowledge of the law and the market.’
‘They are extremely knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘High technical skills, reactivity and availability.’
‘Florian Bonne is an excellent corporate lawyer. He is very knowledgable, very calm and provides very sound advice. He always delivers on time and the advice is always very well drafted.’
Led by Nicolas Bernardy, Brucher Thieltgen & Partners provides ‘a very frank and straightforward approach’ on behalf of stakeholders engaged in restructuring and M&A matters. In this context, the firm adds value by dint of its overarching litigation expertise, which also extends to shareholder disputes.
‘They put the interest of the client to the forefront.’
‘The team has a special attitude in dealing with complex clients, with a very frank and straight forward approach.’
‘Besides the technical knowledge of his work, Nicolas Bernardy owns undisputed leadership skills that make him very reliable, both for the clients and for his team.’
The ‘highly qualified and responsive’ team at Charles Russell Speechlys has ‘strong knowledge and expertise in complex corporate and M&A matters’, ensuring that it is well-equipped to handle a myriad of work for funds, high-net-worth individuals, corporates and family offices. Co-headed by Victor Regnard and Jean-Baptiste Beauvoir-Planson, the corporate finance team differs from many in the market by dint of its combined finance and M&A offering.
‘They are responsive, inspire confidence in their advice and make me feel like I’m a valued client. They have a practical approach, and tend not to let procedure get in the way of providing a good service.’
‘The highly qualified and responsive team has a strong knowledge and expertise in complex corporate and M&A matters and the Luxembourg market practice.’
‘The team is pragmatic and responsive.’
‘Victor Regnard is resourceful and solutions-oriented.’
‘Jean-Baptiste Beauvoir-Planson is commercially excellent and also an excellent technician.’
Almaz Capital Partners
Clairmont Capital Group
RCX Capital Group
Laboratoires Juvisé Pharmaceuticals
Absolute Capital Partners
Independent boutique firm CM Law has carved out a successful niche providing ‘tailor-made solutions’ directly to corporates and funds, as well as in a referral capacity on behalf of international law firms. Team head Raphael Collin is particularly adept at advising clients on issues relating to M&A transactions and group reorganisations.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm provides precise and detailed feedback.’
‘The services proposed are real tailor-made solutions with a strong focus on client satisfaction. CM Law team is available and efficient and always keen to support us in our projects.’
‘No matter the difficulty of a transaction they are always able to give us options and help us taking the best decision.’
Leveraging the firm’s sizeable roster of alternative fund clients, including private equity firms, Dechert Luxembourg‘s corporate team, which is headed by Marc Seimetz and Jean-Louis Frognet, is particularly well-suited to advising on the structuring pursuant to their downstream investments. In this regard, the team also benefits from the ability to work effectively with practitioners spread across the firm’s international network.
Certares Management LLC
- Advised US-based asset manager Certares Management on the acquisition of French company Voyageurs du Monde.
- Assisted ArchiMed on the acquisition of Direct Healthcare Group from NorthEdge.
In spite of its relatively small size, DSM Avocats à la Cour has ‘real experience working for international clients’ across a range of corporate and commercial matters, including on M&A and joint venture structuring. Renaud Le Squeren is ‘very responsive and friendly’, and co-heads the team alongside Mario Di Stefano, who ‘has a very deep knowledge of company law and M&A’.
‘It is very reliable in terms of legal skills and cost efficiency.’
‘The team is highly responsive and provides expertise across a wide range of competencies.’
‘The availability of partners is outstanding and the trickle down effect on associates seamless and efficient.’
‘It is a smaller law firm but for Luxembourg they have real experience working for international clients. They are very responsive and give excellent advice. It is one of the firms I work with in Luxembourg.’
‘Renaud Le Squeren: smart mind, shows great experience in leading transactions, always very responsive and friendly.’
‘Renaud Le Squeren is not only a consummate professional and an excellent lawyer, but also a profoundly human character who has an almost uncanny talent for understanding very specific situations instantly and putting them in their broader context at once, which results in perfect and actionable counsel.’
‘Mario Di Stefano is someone I enjoy working with. He has a lot of experience and is a very pragmatic person.’
‘Mario Di Stefano is a very serious and competent lawyer and has a very deep knowledge in the sector of company law and M&A. Moreover, he has a great ethical sense, great flexibility, promptness in offering answers and collaborative spirit.’
Vantage Data Centers
International Chemical Investors Group
IKO Real Estate
Guy ROLLINGER Group
- Assisting Vantage Data Centers, an American group providing data centre solutions, with group restructuring transactions in EMEA, financing, management needs on a day-to-day basis, as well as in the context of all Luxembourg-related transactions.
- Assisted International Chemical Investors Group in a corporate restructuring involving Luxembourg entities of the group, as well as large-scale financing transactions.
- Advising PM International, a large German family-owned business on its Luxembourg matters, including advice relating to customer contracts and general corporate governance.
Felten & Associes
Led by Bernard Felten, Felten & Associes provides ‘friendly, professional and customer-minded’ advice to corporates, funds and SMEs across a range of transactional and commercial matters, including M&A and asset management transactions, as well as day-to-day corporate and commercial support.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is friendly, professional and customer-minded.’
‘The team is professional, reliable, flexible, effective and efficient.’
‘The practice is excellent and provides an approach that is consistent with their clients needs.’
‘I value their ability to understand the problems and their high levels of empathy and then come with solutions that looks always appropriate.’
PennLux Holding SARL
Qualion Finance SA
VTG Finance S.A.
- Advised VTG FINANCE S.A, a company belonging to a leading wagon hire and rail logistics group and its Luxembourg subsidiaries on general corporate matters.
- Advised PENNLUX SA on a debt restructuring mandate.
- Advised YOBA SA, a Luxembourg innovative fintech company, on corporate matters including a reorganisation plan before financing rounds.
Led by Marjorie Allo, Maples and Calder (Luxembourg) SARL advises private equity and real estate-focused funds, in particular, on the Luxembourg aspects of cross-border transactional work. In addition, it has recently provided assistance to the Cayman Islands funds team on the migration of partnerships from the Cayman Islands to Luxembourg in order to attract EU investors.
Other key lawyers:
The Jordan Company L.P
Francisco Partners Management
BCP Securities, LLC
Credit Suisse (Securities) LLC
Jefferies Group LLC
Intermediate Capital Group
Bank of Montreal
Led by the ‘talented’ Chan Park, the ‘approachable’ and ‘technically strong‘ team at MOLITOR Avocats à la Cour SARL ‘knows what international clients need and delivers accordingly’, including in relation to M&A and reorganisation assignments.
‘It is an approachable team and is also technically strong’.
‘Chan Park is a talented lawyer who knows what international clients need and delivers accordingly. Chan is also easy to deal with and has an excellent knowledge of the Benelux market.’
Ogier ‘provides a high quality and cost-effective service’ to a range of stakeholders, including private equity sponsors, on the Luxembourg-related corporate structures to facilitate their international M&A strategies. Bertrand Geradin and Laurent Thailly co-head the team.
‘They provide a quality service at a sensible price.’
‘The firm provides a high-quality and cost-effective service.’
‘Laurent Thailly has shown great loyalty and responsiveness to us and has grown the business that we do with Ogier through continuing to be dependable, retaining long term knowledge of the funds and being cost-effective.’
‘Partner oversight as provided by Laurent Thailly at Ogier remains engaged but effective at delegating to the excellent resources below partner level.’
‘Bertrand Geradin co-ordinated the Ogier team. He always made himself available to help.’
- Advised EDP, a global leader in the renewable energy sector and one of the largest wind energy producers in the world, on the €2.7bn acquisition of a significant stake in Viesgo from Macquarie-managed funds.
- Advised Canpack S.A, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of metal packaging, on the issuance of $110m senior notes and their listing on the Official List of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Advised a leading Chinese bank with the granting of a loan to Sino-CEE Fund.
Simmons & Simmons in Luxembourg
Led by the ‘commercial and efficient’ Thierry Somma, Simmons & Simmons in Luxembourg‘s six-strong team provides ‘a strong corporate and commercial offering’ to an impressive roster of alternative asset management clients, including private equity sponsors, infrastructure and real estate funds. Much of this work is of a cross-border nature, where the team is able to leverage a strong international network. The team also handles some domestic work, particularly in the context of asset management M&A.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is experienced and extremely responsive.’
‘They are hardworking and responsive.’
‘The team is excellent at dealing with the technical legal aspects of Luxembourg corporate law. Besides customer relations, the team is also well-versed across many challenging areas of M&A, liquidations, incorporations and restructurings.’
‘The Simmons & Simmons Luxembourg team provides a strong corporate and commercial offering. They have the technical know-how, combined with a keen client focus, which makes them our go-to counsel for Luxembourg law queries.’
‘Simmons and Simmons is excellent at communication and organisation. They are also very helpful when dealing with new clients or those not used to working in Luxembourg.’
‘Thierry Somma is commercial and efficient.’
‘Arnaud Fostier is experienced and extremely responsive.’
Leggett & Platt
Connecting Europe Broadband Fund (managed by Cube Infrastructure Managers)
Deka Immobilien AG
Nicolas Berggruen Charitable Trust
Valor Equity Partners
- Advised Valor Real Estate Partners on the establishment of an investment platform for Valor and the £38.5m acquisition of land located in Manchester.
- Advised the co-founders of Constellation Advisers on its sale to investor services group IQ-EQ – an Astorg portfolio company.