Banking, finance and capital markets in Luxembourg
Allen & Overy Luxembourg
With a team of some 40 lawyers who focus on banking, finance and capital markets matters, and also able to tap into the expertise and resources from across the firm's network of offices, Allen & Overy Luxembourg has the strength-in-depth to handle a tremendous volume and variety of work for banks, private equity sponsors, corporates and government entities. Team head Henri Wagner has vast transactional and regulatory expertise; he recently advised EFG Luxembourg on the issuance of AT1 notes in order to finance the acquisition of the Luxembourg-based credit institution, UBI Banca International (Luxembourg). André Marc specialises in private banking activities and in the setting up, restructuring and merging of banks; he recently advised ABN Amro Bank on the acquisition by Luxembourg-based banking group BGL BNP Paribas. Formerly in-house at JPMorgan, Paul Péporté has an excellent perspective of transactional and regulatory-related debt and equity capital markets work.
Frank Mausen; Henri Wagner; André Marc; Pierre Schleimer; and Paul Péporté
SEB Fund Services S.A.
- Advised EFG Luxembourg on the issuance of AT1 notes to another entity of the group, in order to finance the acquisition of Luxembourg-based credit institution, UBI Banca International (Luxembourg).
- Assisted ABN Amro Bank with the acquisition by Luxembourg-based banking group BGL BNP Paribas.
- Advised SEB Fund Services, a Luxembourg subsidiary of the Swedish banking group Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, on all Luxembourg law (in particular banking and regulatory) aspects relating to its sale to FundRock Management Company.
Arendt & Medernach's 'responsive and solution-oriented' sizeable team has the critical mass and breadth of knowledge to be able to effectively resource a substantial pipeline of banking and capital markets transactions, as well as financial services M&A and regulatory matters. Founding partner Philippe Dupont has vast experience and credibility in the market, with his work straddling both bank regulatory and capital markets transactions. François Warken heads up the firm's 'very accomplished' capital markets sub-group, which also includes the 'knowledgeable and resourceful' Laurent Schummer.
Philippe Dupont; François Warken
‘The team is responsive and imaginative and is always looking for a market-driven solution.‘
‘Laurent Schummer did an outstanding job, advising us on a very complicated transaction.‘
UBS NoGoldman Sachs
European Investment Bank
Toyota Motor Financial Services
The Procter & Gamble Company
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch on the senior and mezzanine facilities to facilitate Colony Capital’s acquisition of a portfolio of over 220 mixed-use assets located throughout France from Société FoncièreImmobilière et de Location and Electricité de France.
- Advised XXIII Capital, as lender, in the context of the financing granted to entities of a global music and technology company.
- Acted for Swedish financial institution, Carnegie Bank, on the sale of its Luxembourg subsidiary to the Luxembourg subsidiary of the Swiss bank Union Bancaire Privée.
Jointly headed by 'elder statesman' Steve Jacoby and Marc Mehlen, Clifford Chance's four-partner team provides 'outstanding legal advice' to a balanced roster of banks, funds and corporates across the gamut of cross-border and domestic financings. Able to leverage the firm's international network, clients benefit from a 'very cohesive service', which provides 'uniformly strong advice', from both a transactional and regulatory perspective. Jacoby has been at the forefront of the office's fintech initiatives, and alongside the 'proactive and solution-oriented' Martin Wurth has also been central to the firm's growing reputation for lenders and borrowers within the fund financing space.
Steve Jacoby; Marc Mehlen
‘No other team in Luxembourg masters the legal aspects of equity bridge facilities as the Clifford Chance team does.‘
‘It benefits from unique execution capacity as well as a well-staffed team.‘
‘Martin Wurth not only transforms a term sheet into finance documents but he also truly thinks with you and for you to deliver legal documentation which reflects the essence of the deal.‘
Credit Suisse AG
EQT Fund management
European Investment Fund
European Investment Bank
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
European Stability Mechanism
- Advised International Securities Lending Association on the development of the pledge collateral version of its existing global master securities lending agreement.
- Advised Blackstone as lender on a complex financing provided to Värde for the acquisition of Italian luxury hotel group Gruppo Boscolo with hotels (now known as Dedica Annthology) in Italy, France, Hungary and the Czech Republic.
- Advised Natwest Markets on a €79m facility agreement for Iovanius, an indirect subsidiary of York Global Finance Offshore, for the financing of a portfolio of asset-backed notes relating to eight projects and issued by Italian securitisation vehicles pursuant to the Italian Securitisation Law.
An ever-present fixture for banks and private equity sponsors on the Luxembourg aspects of their most sophisticated banking and capital markets mandates, Elvinger Hoss Prussen is well versed across the spectrum of new money mandates and refinancings, including on big-ticket acquisition financings. Pit Reckinger is 'absolutely brilliant' across both banking and capital markets transactions, and acts for Banque de Luxembourg and Banque Havilland across a range of ongoing matters. Karl Pardaens 'knows the capital markets industry at 360 degrees' and provides 'innovative and business-oriented advice' to issuers and underwriters. The highly respected André Hoffmann has in-depth knowledge of transactional banking and finance work, as well as the underlying regulatory overlay.
Pit Reckinger; André Hoffmann; Toinon Hoss; Cintia Martins Costa; Katia Panichi
‘Precise, smart, business-oriented and innovative.‘
‘The reactive and pragmatic Karl Pardaens understands the needs of his clients.‘
‘An equity capital markets expert, Karl Pardaens is smart, business-oriented and has a focus on innovation.‘
Banque de Luxembourg / Banque Havilland
JPMorgan Chase Bank
Fortress Investment Group LLC
CVC Capital Partners
Hellman & Friedman Capital Partners
Belron Group S.A.
- Assisted Deutsche Bank with the Luxembourg elements of the acquisition and revolving credit facilities made available by it to Key Safety Systems to facilitate its $1.2bn acquisition of the Takata Group.
- Advised JPMorgan Chase Bank on the Luxembourg law aspects pursuant to its role as initial purchasers of Safari Verwaltungs’ issuance of €350m secured notes.
- Advised Belron Group on the Luxembourg aspects of a €1.3bn refinancing and leveraged recapitalisation transaction, as well as on a €400m new term loan, the proceeds of which have been used to pay a dividend to its shareholders.
Led by the 'very knowledgeable' Nicki Kayser, Linklaters' four-partner team provides 'clear and tailor-made advice' to a pre-eminent roster of lenders and borrowers (including numerous Chinese entities) across the spectrum of capital markets and banking work, including as it relates to niche areas, such as fund and structured financing. Leveraging the firm's vast international network, the team excels in advising on big-ticket cross-border mandates utilising complex and often bespoke Luxembourg financing structures. 'A leading lawyer in Luxembourg', Patrick Geortay has a 'wide breadth of experience' across banking and capital markets work, both in the context of transactions, as well as the underlying regulatory elements. 'Excellent' counsel Eliane Dejardin Botelho has particular expertise in regulatory matters and has been involved in a number of bank and insurance set-ups and reorganisations, both domestically and abroad.
‘The firm is proactive and solution-oriented.‘
‘The capital markets team centred around partner Nicki Kayser is very experienced, business minded, well organised and generally very pleasant to work with.’
‘Patrick Geortay is a leading lawyer in Luxembourg. He is very solid and you cannot destabilize him.‘
King Street Capital Management
Triton Fund V
Banco Santander S.A.
Mizuho Bank, Ltd,
Sucursal en España
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Sucursal en España
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
Agricultural Development Bank of China
ProLogis International Funding II S.A. and Prologis European Logistics Fund, FCP-FIS
China Construction Bank Corporation
Shurgard Self Storage SA
BFF Luxembourg S.à.r.l.
Clearstream Banking S.A.
Nordea Bank Abp
AB Holdings B.V. and JAB Holding Company S.à.r.l
Glencore Finance (Europe) S.A. and Glencore plc, Glencore International AG and Glencore (Schweiz) AG
Holcim Finance (Luxembourg) S.A., Holcim US Finance S.a r.l. & Cie S.C.S., LafargeHolcim Finance US LLC, LafargeHolcim Sterling Finance (Netherlands) B.V., LafargeHolcim Ltd and LafargeHolcim Ltd
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd., Luxembourg Branch
Bank of China Limited
- Advised King Street Capital Management on the financing of the acquisition of several real estate assets in the Algarve, which are part of the Oceânico Group (a leading group in the construction and management of resorts and golf courses in Portugal).
- Assisting a banking syndicate (with Société Générale Sucursal en España as agent) in its capacity as arrangers to a €187m senior facilities agreement, in part, to finance Carlyle Group’s acquisition of Codorníu and to refinance debt of the Target Group.
- Acted for Novo Banco in a vendor financing role on the sale of the largest real estate-owned portfolio in the Portuguese market, including real estate assets located in Portugal and in Spain.
Bonn Steichen & Partners provides 'practical and solution-oriented advice' to institutional lenders and investors across a range of banking and capital markets work, from both a transactional and regulatory perspective. Experienced practitioner Laurent Lazard advises lenders and borrowers on deals implementing financing from across the capital structure, and is also noted for his securitisation prowess for both originators and sponsors. The 'approachable and hands on' Pierre-Alexandre Degehet spearheads the firm's efforts on the fintech front, while newly promoted partner Nuala Doyle provides 'pragmatic advice' to clients engaged in fund financings and debt/equity capital markets matters.
Laurent Lazard, Pierre-Alexandre Degehet; Nuala Doyle
‘The firm has a focus on clients’ needs and can effectively leverage the diversity and experience of other team members.‘
‘The firm has great expertise in fintech and financial services matters.‘
‘The team always responds in a timely and detailed manner.‘
IVS Group SA
Opel Bank GmbH
Bio Toscana Investment S.A.
Play Communication S.A.
Solutions 30 SE
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited, London Branch
Investec Bank Plc
Attestor Capital LLP
- Acted for iQ Student Accommodation (a JV set up by Goldman Sachs and the Wellcome Trust) on an external bank financing for the new development of three properties in England.
- Assisted Investec Bank with a €15m single currency revolving credit facility to CapVest Group whose purpose was, inter alia, financing or refinancing the acquisition of limited partnership interests in CapVest Equity Partners III.
- Advised Lloyds Banking Group on all Luxembourg law aspects regarding the separation of its investment banking operations from its retail banking operations.
Leveraging the firm's 'very strong private equity ties', with the likes of KKR and Tristan Capital Partners, and also regularly receiving bank-side mandates from clients including Goldman Sachs and Citigroup, Loyens & Loeff is well placed to provide 'solution-oriented advice', which is conversant with market norms on both the borrower and lender side. As well as his excellent track record on the securitisation and real estate financing front, Vassiliyan Zanev has also been pivotal to the firm's growing reputation in the fund financing sector. Cédric Raffoul heads up the capital markets offering and recently advised global medical technology company, Becton, Dickinson and Company, on a €2bn bond issuance via a Luxembourg société à responsabilité limitée.
Vassiliyan Zanev; Anne-Marie Nicolas
‘The team provides out of the box thinking and really goes the extra mile.’
‘Anne-Marie Nicolas is very knowledgeable and hands-on.‘
Bank of America
Hayfin Capital Management
Simon Property Group
Tristan Capital Partners
- Advised Elliott Management on the takeover of the Italian football club AC Milan and the financing of the club and its Luxembourg holding company.
- Assisted Banco Santander with the Luxembourg law aspects related to the new money injection and restructuring of the existing debt of the Abengoa Group.
- Advised global medical technology company, Becton, Dickinson and Company, on a €2bn bond issuance.
'Quite an established brand in the Luxembourg market', Benelux firm NautaDutilh provides a 'responsive service' to lenders and borrowers across a range of matters, including acquisition and fund financing. Team head Josée Weydert's diverse skillset sees her taking the lead on many of the most significant mandates handled by the team, including advising Goldman Sachs as initial purchasers on Altice's €2.7bn senior secured notes issuance. The firm's presence in London and New York has also helped cultivate and consolidate key relationships with international-based clients requiring Luxembourg law advice from those two key financial centres.
‘User-friendly and responsive.‘
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
BGL BNP Paribas
Credit Suisse International
European Investment Bank
Jefferies Finance LLC
United Overseas Bank
- Advised the initial purchasers, including Goldman Sachs, on the issuance of senior secured notes by Altice Luxembourg.
- Assisted Morgan Stanley with a subscription line financing transaction to Global Credit Opportunities Funds.
- Advised Jefferies Finance on the Luxembourg law aspects of the refinancing of Herbalife Nutrition.
Headed by the ‘superb’ Alex Schmitt, Bonn & Schmitt's team provides a 'cost-effective and commercial service' to banks, debt funds, private equity sponsors and corporates across the spectrum of transactional, regulatory and litigation concerns affecting their businesses. The firm is particularly accomplished at advising borrower clients (including corporates and funds) on real estate-related mandates. Restructuring and insolvency is also a prominent area of focus for the firm, and clients benefit from a strong offering on the financing front, as well as in relation to any contentious matters that may arise, as a result of the firm's 'tremendous understanding of both civil and common law legal systems'. Armel Waisse left the firm.
‘Counsel Nicolas Widung was very helpful on a novel restructuring transaction and was prepared to step outside his comfort zone and try something new, having considered the key legal issues.‘
‘Tremendous understanding of both civil and common law legal systems‘.
MEDIOBANCA INTERNATIONAL (LUXEMBOURG) S.A.
- Acted for EQT Partners on the financing of its acquisition of Suse from the Microfocus Group.
Headed by Stéphane Hadet, Dentons' one-partner team provides a 'solution-oriented service' to international banks, funds and corporates across a range of domestic and international financing mandates. Although the team is relatively small, it regularly works alongside practitioners from across the firm's international network of offices and is consequently able to provide a value-added service on multi-jurisdictional matters. The team has 'excellent knowledge of the fund financing industry' and also has a strong track record for real estate-related financing.
‘We have been working in the context of a financing project with Stéphane Hadet and his team and have been impressed by the excellence of their work, and in particular their excellent knowledge of the fund financing industry.‘
Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited
Erste Bank Group AG
HB Reavis Holding S.A.
GLL Real Estate Partners
Societe Generale, London Branch
HSBC Bank Plc
Royal Bank of Canada
Kenai Capital Markets S.à.r.l.
Deutsche Postbank AG
Silicon Valley Bank
- Advising Erste Bank in connection with on a multi-currency €555m revolving-credit facility agreement to MOL Group Finance.
- Advising FMS Wertmanagement on the extension of a $43m loan facility to Royalty-Rent secured by a prime neighbourhood shopping centre in the Ukraine.
- Advising Nuveen Real Estate, as borrower, on the refinancing of Berlin shopping center Gropius Passagen.
Led by Gérald Origer, Stibbe provides a 'client-oriented service' to banks and private equity sponsors on acquisition financing mandates utilising debt from across the capital structure. The team has also been involved in an increase in capital markets work, including advice relating to new admissions to trading on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange and other EU and non-EU regulated stock exchanges.
‘The team provides swift and clear advice.‘
‘Jean-Marc Delcour is a brilliant lawyer and pleasant to work with.‘
Santa Domingo Group
KTB Investment Securities Co. Ltd.
Rothesay Life Plc
Banque Européenne du Crédit Mutuel
- Assisting Korean fund, KTB Investment & Securities, with a bond financing through a Luxembourg issuer, for the purpose of the acquisition of real estate in Austria.
- Assisted Biotoscana Investments with shares issued on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange (increase of outstanding shares to be issued under the stock option plan of the company and stock buyback programme for the company).
- Advising Constellium on its issuance of euro-denominated senior notes due 2027 and to be listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange and admitted to trading on the EURO MTF Market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
Jointly headed by Michel Bulach and the 'skillful and knowledgeable' Mevlüde-Aysun Tokbag, Wildgen provides 'practical and solution-oriented advice' to international corporates, SMEs, and high-net-worth individuals across a range of transactional work, including as it relates to acquisition finance and securitisations. Bulach is also noted for his regulatory expertise.
Michel Bulach and Mevlüde-Aysun Tokbag
‘The team provides workable solutions rather than only merely formal analysis.‘
‘The team provides to the point and practical advice.‘
Bank of Beirut
Christofferson, Robb & Company
- Acted for Pacific Drilling on its process of reorganisation under Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Advised Bank of Beirut on its acquisition of Fortuna Banque, a Luxembourg-based cooperative bank active in retail and private banking.
- Advising Christofferson, Robb & Company on a securitisation deal.
Jointly headed from Luxembourg by Laurent Fessmann and Jean-François Trapp and aided by an extensive international network of offices, Baker McKenzie regularly advises international corporates, funds and banks on financing transactions utilising Luxembourg structures. Particular areas of strength include real estate, acquisition finance and securitisation transactions.
Laurent Fessmann; Jean-François Trapp
Invesco Real Estate
Macquarie Atlas Roads
CPI Property Group
- Advising on all aspects of restructuring the Invesco Real Estate European fund, which involved refinancing its obligations and identifying the potential tax implications. Subsequent assistance to Invesco Real Estate with entering into a €1bn fund financing of a portfolio of its European properties.
- Advising CPI Property Group on the issuance of listed notes under its €3bn medium-term note programme.
- Advised steel manufacturer, Schmolz+Bickenback, on its tap issuance of €150m senior secured notes.
Led by the 'classy' Vivian Walry, CMS' 'responsive and commercial' two-partner team provides 'highly knowledgeable advice' to banks, funds and corporates across a range of mandates including real estate finance, acquisition finance and securitisation. Walry has also handled numerous strategic Brexit-related queries for international banks.
‘Vivian Walry is responsive and to the point.‘
Bank of Ireland
- Advising Bank of Ireland on its £104m part-funding of the acquisition by Hana Property Holdings of the entire issued share capital of Wood Grafton One, owner of the iconic One Poultry building in the city of London.
Benefiting from 'solid knowledge and understanding of the Luxembourg banking and financial framework', DLA Piper's team continues to pick up market share since its establishment in 2017. The 'responsive and pragmatic' Laurent Massinon is 'particularly specialised in capital markets and financial regulatory matters' and jointly heads the team alongside asset-backed finance expert Xavier Guzman.
Xavier Guzman; Laurent Massinon
‘The highly experienced Laurent Massinon is able to deal with the full spectrum of the banking, finance and capital markets.‘
‘Laurent Massinon is an outstanding individual in the financial regulatory sphere.‘
‘Xavier Guzman is an extraordinarily competent partner in Luxembourg.‘
Credit Suisse Infrastructure Partners AG
Generali Real Estate S.p.A
SONAE Investment Management – Software and Technology
Qumei Home Furnishing Group
Medtronic Global Holdings
Covidien International Finance
Koramco Asset Management
Nordic Wind Power
Kleos Space S.A
DH Europe Finance S.A.
- Advised Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken on the Luxembourg law-governed partial financing of the acquisition of a €113.1m portfolio of 11 freehold office properties in Finland by Cromwell Property Group.
- Advised Medtronic Global Holdings on its issuance of several series of fixed-rate notes and floating-rate notes for €7bn.
- Assisted Herbalife and its Luxembourg subsidiaries with its $1.25bn credit facility refinancing and the issuance of $400m senior notes.
KLEYR GRASSO regularly acts for corporates and funds on their financing and regulatory requirements. Spearheaded by Pascal Sassel, the team also has strength in relation to restructuring and refinancing matters. Although she is primarily involved in corporate and M&A work, the 'knowledgeable and commercial' Delphine Tempé regularly advises on capital markets matters. Rina Breininger is another key name for capital markets work.
GSO Capital Partners
Imperial Logistics International B.V. & Co KG
- Advised GSO Capital Partners and Glas Trust Company in their capacity as the ad-hoc group of secured creditors of Concordia International Corp. on the Luxembourg law aspects of its $3.7bn recapitalisation.
- Acted for Samsonite on corporate restructuring steps and structuring, as well as on the banking and finance side of an amendment to its $2.1bn financing facilities consisting of a $650m revolving credit facility, a $820m term loan A facility and a $665m term loan B facility and the issuance of $350m in eurobonds.
- Assisted Imperial Logistics International with the negotiation, establishment and implementation of its group cash pooling agreement with Commerzbank.
The 'top-class' team at Ogier provides 'responsive and commercial advice' to banks and funds across a range of mandates, including as it relates to acquisition and fund financing. The firm's ability to provide 'highly technical and cost-effective advice' is appreciated by market participants, which are increasingly viewing the firm as a viable alternative to some of the more established players in the market. Daniel Richards leads the team.
‘The responsive and commercial team has an excellent knowledge of fund level financings and the Luxembourg fund finance market.‘
‘Daniel Richards is very responsive and good at putting a team together to get the job done.‘
‘Daniel Richards is a pleasure to deal with and is committed to getting the job done.‘
- Advised two global US-based banks on a €1.1bn financing to a Fortune 100 industrial company that delivers industry solutions financing.
- Advised a Canadian private equity firm on a $13.2bn acquisition financing.
- Assisting a leading bank with a £27m facility and a £65m facility to be granted to Luxembourg borrowers managed by a leading global alternative investment management firm.
At VANDENBULKE, Laurence Jacques provides 'practical and business-oriented structuring' to lenders and funds across the full spectrum of secured and unsecured commercial lending transactions. The team is particularly strong in real estate financing matters.
‘Laurence Jacques: practical and business-oriented structuring.‘
While it is less active on transactional financing work than many of its higher-ranked peers, independent boutique Brucher Thieltgen & Partners has significant regulatory expertise (including as it relates to GDPR and Mifid ii matters) and also excels at handling financial services-related litigation. Nicolas Thieltgen is the key name.
‘Excellent team with strong knowledge of legal environment and solid experience.‘
- Advised an international bank established in Luxembourg on its $31bn pledge agreement review.
- Assisted a client with the establishment of a Luxembourg-based investment vehicle targeting investments in the blockchain technology and digital assets space.
- Advised a bank on the implementation of the MiFID II legal framework into its relevant documentation.
Headed by the 'commercially-minded and responsive' Peter-Jan Bossuyt following his arrival from VANDENBULKE, the banking and finance team at newly established firm Dupont Partners has hit the ground running and has already garnered praise for its 'hands on approach' particularly as it relates to real estate, fund financing and acquisition financing work.
‘The banking and finance team has a hands on approach.‘
‘Peter-Jan Bossuyt is commercially-minded and responsive.‘
‘The responsive and reliable Peter-Jan Bossuyt is very experienced in leveraged finance transactions. He gets the deal done in a very pragmatic and efficient way.‘
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch on the refinancing of office and hotel property, The Squaire at Frankfurt Airport.
- Advised Trilantic Europe on the financing in support of the acquisition of various companies in the medical sector.
The 'responsive' team at GSK Stockmann SA 'delivers excellent results' to banks and funds across a wide array of financing transactions, as well as on fintech regulatory matters. In addition to regularly advising German clients, Andreas Heinzmann has been central to the firm's increased exposure to Asian clients, including Bank of China, which he recently advised on a trade finance loan uniquely implemented under Luxembourg law.
Andreas Heinzmann, Philipp Moessner; Marcus Peter
‘The firm is able to think creatively to address the challenges of blockchain investments.’
‘Philipp Moessner has extensive knowledge and broad experience.‘
‘Dr. Marcus Peter is outstanding in assuring the delivery of practicable advice.‘
Grand City Properties SA
China Merchants Bank
Bank of China
Hauck & Aufhäuser Bank
Intermediate Capital Group
Vincenda Asset Management
AS Iute Credit
Mogo Finance AS
AviaRent Capital Properties S.A.
Channel Finance S.A.
- Advised, as Luxembourg counsel, Bank of China on one of the largest investments in Europe by the Chinese sovereign wealth fund.
- Advised Bank of China on a trade finance loan to Kingston Technology Corporation, which was guaranteed by the Californian group subsidiary.
- Acted for Commerzbank on the issuance of commercial paper in the form of security tokens held in blockchain.
The 'experienced and knowledgeable' team at Hogan Lovells (Luxembourg) LLP 'collaborates well with other offices throughout its network', particularly on corporate and real estate financings involving a German nexus. Pierre Reuter and Ariane Mehrshahi Marks are the key names.
Pierre Reuter; Ariane Mehrshahi Marks
‘The team’s no-fuss can-do attitude is reassuring.‘
‘Ariane Mehrshahi Marks stands out for her leadership skills.‘
European Investment Bank
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
- Advised HECF on the refinancing of a portfolio of properties situated in Berlin, Dusseldorf, London, and Edinburgh, with multiple Luxembourg companies in the holding structure.
- Regular assistance to Volkswagen Leasing regarding all its securitisation transactions through Luxembourg vehicles.
- Advised Nord/LB on the ongoing issuances and annual update of the €10bn debt issuance programme of Nord/LB Luxembourg Covered Bond Bank (as a dealer counsel).
Now headed by Bob Scharfe following his arrival from Hogan Lovells (Luxembourg) LLP, Luther S.A.'s banking and finance team is better able to service its impressive roster of borrower clients, including Altice, on their financing requirements. Scharfe is noted for his 'great professionalism and agility when facing complex and international transactions'.
‘The firm remains diligent and practical, without compromising its standards even in the most pressurised environment.‘
‘Combines the skills of an international law firm with a boutique spirit.‘
DZ HYP AG
REYL & Cie S.A.
- Acting for the Altice Group on several multibillion-euro debt issuances.
- Advising DZ HYP AG on the financing of various flagship objects located in Europe, via Luxembourg special purpose vehicles.
- Advising Reyl & Cie S.A. on several high-profile financings to Luxembourg borrowers.
Led by Stéphane Braun and aided by a huge international network, Norton Rose Fulbright's team is well placed to advise lenders, including many international investment banks, on a range of cross-border financings. The team is particularly active advising on the Luxembourg structuring aspects of financing deals within core industry areas of focus for the firm as a whole, including transportation, energy and insurance.
JTC Group Holdings
Macquarie Bank Limited
Royal Bank of Canada
Münchener Hypothekenbank eG
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Bank of America
National Bank of Greece S.A.
European Investment Bank
East West United Bank
Cardif Lux Vie
- Advising Eurobank Ergasias and Alpha Bank on the €202m non-recourse refinancing of a renewable energy projects portfolio operated by three subsidiaries of Total Eren, in Greece.
- Advising Crédit Agricole CIB on its role as arranger, facility agent, and lender within the framework of a Japanese operating lease with call option transaction put in place for a Boeing 747- 400 freighter aircraft run by Cargolux Airlines International S.A.
- Assisted Kulczyk Investments and Kulczyk Chemistry with a refinancing transaction, including reviewing and/or drafting and negotiating the contractual financing documentation (facility agreement, subordination agreement, Luxembourg and foreign pledge agreements (over shares, bank accounts, receivables)), reviewing the corporate documents (board resolutions, directors certificates) and issuing legal opinions.
The 'small and dedicated team' at independent business law boutique DCL Avocats provides 'business-oriented advice' to funds, SMEs and high-net- worth individuals across a range of finance and regulatory mandates. Yann Hilpert has niche expertise advising on asset finance mandates, including corporate jet transactions.
‘The talented team is skilled in various competencies, adequately resourced and responsive to all requests.‘
‘Yann Hilpert does not limit himself to the instruction for which he was engaged – his advice has no limit.’
‘Franck-Olivier Cerra is intelligent and dedicated.‘
- Assisting DNXCorp, a European company listed on the French stock exchange with Luxembourg as state of origin, with regulatory matters on an ongoing basis.
At Linari Law Firm, name partner Vincent Linari-Pierron is a 'class act' who is noted for his capital markets expertise, particularly as it relates to securitisation matters. He has also been increasingly active advising on sustainable capital markets matters and has acted for the issuers on numerous green bond issuances.
Vincent Linari and Guillaume Deflandre
‘The firm provides very responsive and commercial advice across leverage/acquisition finance, as well as bid financing.‘
Although MOLITOR Avocats à la Cour SARL is best-known for its litigation work within the banking and finance sector, under the guidance of Chan Park it also regularly handles finance work for US, European and Asian financial institutions and funds. Armel Waisse was a new arrival in April 2020 from Bonn & Schmitt.
Combining excellent knowledge of the regulatory landscape with transactional experience for both buy and sell-side clients, Simmons & Simmons in Luxembourg provides a 'very responsive and commercial' service across structured finance-related capital markets mandates, in particular. Headed by Louis-Maël Cogis, the team is well-= suited to the cross-border nature of the Luxembourg finance market by virtue of its ability to leverage its 'good geographical coverage especially in EMEA'.
‘The team provides pragmatic and realistic advice.‘
‘The team combined specialist knowledge of Luxembourg financial laws and of the Italian banking sector that was very useful to speed up negotiations.‘
‘Cathrine Foldberg Møller offers pragmatic and realistic solutions.‘
European Investment Fund
Funding Circle Limited
Morgan Stanley & Co. International Plc
Nomura International Plc
ING Bank N.V.
Aermont Capital Management Sarl
- Advising Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley & Co. International, Nomura International, Société Générale, BBVA and NatWest Markets on the first initiative to standardise repackaging documentation and create a platform for securitisation vehicles.
- Assisted Circan Capital with the establishment of a €5bn asset-based notes, certificates and warrants programme allowing for Aldburg, a Luxembourg securitisation vehicle under the Luxembourg securitisation rules, to issue asset-based notes, certificates and warrants on a fiduciary and non-fiduciary basis.
- Advised ING Bank on the update and restructuring of its €40bn global issuance programme.