Construction: non-contentious in London
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP advises a roster of prestigious clients including utilities companies, investors and property companies, and is renowned for having 'a strong construction practice integrated with multi-disciplinary capabilities in relation to all aspects of real estate.' Gareth Stringer, who was recently appointed to lead the team, advises clients on development agreements and agreements for lease, working with lenders and borrowers. John Hughes-D’Aeth has acted on a range of major infrastructure and real estate projects. Nazir Dewji, whose experience includes a key role in the development of Build to Rent and Senior Living projects, advises international clients on their London investments, while senior partner Marc Hanson 'adds value by giving a strategic steer.' Adriano Amorese is another key member of the team.
‘Strong construction practice integrated into a law firm with multi-disciplinary capabilities in relation to all aspects of real estate.’
‘Marc Hanson is very experienced. Adds value by giving a strategic steer.’
‘Adriano Amorese is hardworking, enthusiastic and all over the detail.’
University College London
The Crown Estate
Great Western Developments
Highways England Company Limited
Canary Wharf Group
Bazalgette Tunnel Ltd
University of Cambridge
Frasers Developments Limited
- Advising Highways England Company Limited (HE) on £3bn contract delivery for England’s motorway and trunk road network. Provided strategic advice on the development and ongoing procurement of a £3bn Alliance contract for delivery of the next tranches of HE’s Smart Motorways Programme (SMP).
- Advising Great Western Developments on £850m development of Paddington Square, West London. Advising on the procurement and construction of Paddington Square, designed by world renowned architect Renzo Piano.
- Advising Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield on London’s largest single site Build to Rent scheme Advising on the formation of a new partnership to deliver a £670m private rental scheme adjacent to its shopping centre in Stratford, E20.
CMS has an an 'excellent team' which 'always offers a high standard of advice and demonstrates a thorough understanding of the law.' David Parton, who is recognised for his 'great breadth and depth of experience', co-leads the team and assists clients on the life cycle of infrastructure, energy and construction projects. Victoria Peckett co-leads alongside Parton and acts for contractors and employers on UK-based and international construction projects. Alistair McGrigor has advised clients on mixed-use developments across the UK. Senior associate Duncan Athol is also recommended - he is noted for his 'incredible' work and is described as a 'credit to his team.'
‘The CMS construction team are great. They were helpful throughout and extremely efficient. The turnaround in work was impressive and the entire team were extremely knowledgeable and quick to create solutions to any problems that arose. The team were a great support throughout our instruction and we would not hesitate to use them again.’
‘It’s an excellent team – always offers a high standard of advice and demonstrates a thorough understanding of the law.’
‘Duncan Athol was incredible. He was so knowledgeable and he really supported me when working on a project with me. I felt confident knowing I had Duncan to support me as and when I needed it. He would turn everything around quickly with great explanation as to what he required from me or what we needed to get from the other side. He is a credit to his team.’
‘David Parton is extremely hardworking, capable and user-friendly.’
‘David Parton has a great breadth and depth of experience of construction and engineering in the London commercial real estate sector and leverages that experience to provide effective solutions to the challenges we face both in the procurement of projects and during the construction phase. I have also been impressed by David’s calmness and pragmatism during highly charged negotiations.’
‘Victoria Peckett is a fantastic lawyer. She is commercial, pragmatic, and really understands the industry.’
‘I work with Alistair McGrigor and Duncan Athol. I would say that in the case of both their commitment to providing a quality service in a timely manner has been outstanding. Both Alistair and Duncan are a pleasure to work with – always considered, commercial and insightful in their advice and positive and helpful in their manner.’
PSP and QuadReal Property Group
Brockton Everlast Inc and Oxford Properties Group
Frogmore and Royalton Group
The Crown Estate
Wates Construction Limited
Mace Ltd and Dragados SA
- Advised Public Sector Pension Investment Board and QuadReal Property Group Limited Partnership (both Canadian entities) in respect of a 75% investment in a Joint Venture with Unibail Rodamco Westfield for the long lease and development of a major build to rent scheme adjacent to the Westfield Shopping Centre, Stratford.
- Advised HB Reavis on the acquisition of the right to build over Farringdon West Crossrail station, and subsequent procurement of a major mixed-use development at the site, comprising offices, retail at ground and basement levels, set above the new Elizabeth Line (Crossrail).
- Advised Gridserve EMEA DEPC Limited (Gridserve Sustainable Energy) on £1bn ‘Electric Forecourt’ electro-voltaic infrastructure programme through which they are looking to develop and construct 100+ electric vehicle charging forecourts throughout the United Kingdom.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The team at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is able to 'leverage experience across multiple construction and engineering sectors domestically and internationally.' Practice head Nicholas Downing has been active across a wide range of development and redevelopment matters for the largest names in construction for the last thirty years. He is supported by Tim Healey, who has a track record of work on energy and infrastructure matters internationally, and is noted for his 'technical ability, industry knowledge, pragmatism.' The firm's client base is made up of major contractors, consulting engineers, architects and domestic and international developers.
Other key lawyers:
‘The construction and engineering team at Herbert Smith Freehills has performed solidly for us. Of particular importance to me is the team’s ability to leverage experience across multiple construction and engineering sectors both domestically and internationally to provide pragmatic, flexible and workable solutions to challenges.’
‘I have been impressed by Tim Healey’s technical ability, industry knowledge, pragmatism and the reassuring calmness and confidence with which he delivers advice. Of particular note is Tim’s breadth of experience across the whole construction and engineering sector both domestically and internationally. Tim is able to leverage this experience to provide innovative and flexible solutions to the challenges we face in the commercial real estate sector.’
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
Goldman Sachs Real Estate
Macquarie Green Investment Group
- Advising Hammerson Brent Cross Limited and Aberdeen Standard Investments on an extension to the entrance of a shopping centre in North London.
- Advising The British Land Company on the redevelopment of Canada Water.
- Advising Argent Related on the multi-phase housing-led redevelopment of Tottenham Hale.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's practice possesses 'great depth of expertise across the sector' with a team headed up by John Woolley. The primary clientele for the firm are main contractors who work on some of the UK's most prominent infrastructure and construction projects. Woolley is well regarded for 'always providing very well considered advice.' His experience is broad but includes work in energy, particularly in the renewables sector. Jonathan Hart is an expert on infrastructure matters, active in the UK and international on a range of projects. Anne-Marie Friel has a record of work for multi-party joint ventures and a specialism in the implementation of collaborative contracting structure.
‘Great depth of expertise across the construction sector. Easy to work with and produce quality work on time and generally on budget.’
‘The non-contentious construction team are fantastic. The advice is always spot on, timely and commercial. They are an extension of our legal team.’
‘Pinsent Masons put a lot of effort into their construction practice, and have a number of leading names in this sector. The firm’s briefing notes and seminars are generally very good and in some cases really excellent – and well focused on real issues.’
‘Jon Hart has great knowledge and is very strong.’
‘John Woolley always provides very well considered advice which identifies the issues but within the context of the issues around a specific project.’
‘Lynne Davy is a fountain of knowledge on all of the standard forms and is able to turn around complex reviews and research questions in tight timeframes.’
‘We are always confident of getting consistently high quality advice.’
Transport Infrastructure Ireland
African Finance Corporation
Heathrow Operating Company Limited (Heathrow Airport Limited)
The Portman Estate
Shanghai Electric Corporation
Powerchina International Corporation Limited
China Railway Construction Corporation Limited International (CRCCI)
- Advising Heathrow Airport Limited and Heathrow Express Operating Company on the matters relevant to rail access to Heathrow Airport. These include advising on innovative outsourcing arrangements of the operation of the Heathrow Express service, all day to day legal issues affecting Heathrow Express services and advising on asset, infrastructure and technology matters.
- Advising a number of petitioners to the HS2 Phase 1 and Phase 2b bills, as well as numerous roles for bidders and contractors on the Phase 1 packages of work.
The lawyers in Addleshaw Goddard's non-contentious construction practice 'know the market and have many clients in the sector.' The team is led by Andy McVeigh, a specialist on matters concerning residential development and student accommodation. He has also acted on projects such as hospitals and research centres. Luke Baines is also recommended, with knowledge of domestic and international construction projects including hotel projects. Julia Court is active in the student accommodation, energy and hotels sectors
‘The team know the market and have many clients in the sector.’
‘Luke Baines has taken time to get to know and understand our business and members of our team.’
Primark Stores Limited
Nationwide Building Society
Mount Anvil Group
MiddleCap Real Estate Limited
Battersea Power Station Development Company
Kajima Partnerships Limited and Sir Robert McAlpine Capital Ventures (STEP)
University Partnership Programme
Bargate Property Limited
Resource Recovery Solutions (Derbyshire) Limited
- Appointed as sole advisers to an NHS Foundation Trust in respect of the implementation of the Trust’s estates development plan under which approximately £6bn is to be invested over 15 years regenerating and modernising the Trust’s various campuses.
- Advised a university on the operation of 2,021 new student rooms at its campus.
- Advising Battersea Power Station Development Company across the whole business and phases in relation to construction, including advising on the sale of the Battersea Power Station for £1.6bn.
Ashurst's team are regarded as 'responsive, considered, well-informed, and supportive.' The practice is headed up by Ben Patton and Matthew Bool, both of who work on major energy, transport and infrastructure matters. Patton acts on major development projects across the UK while Bool advises on office and mixed-use developments. Michael Smith has a broad construction practice but a particular expertise in renewable energy projects. Senior associate Chris Whitehouse is an 'excellent member' of the team and has experience working with a wide range of clients.
‘The team at Ashurst provided legal support to guide the team through the pre-contract stages and throughout many complex challenges. The team were responsive, considered, well informed, and supportive at every stage. Through their experience, reliability and proactive approach they quickly gained the trust of the client group and help to create sense of team spirit to problem solving and managing risk.’
‘The team always respond within 24 hours. If someone is on holiday, there is always someone who is up to speed on the matter to speak with. They listen and then take the time to explain in non-legal terminology. They always deliver a report or feedback within the deadline agreed.’
‘The construction team here are very efficient and capable. When entering into construction contracts, you need confidence that your legal advisers have the necessary experience and commitment to deliver best results, whilst guarding the client against relevant future risk. This practice definitely operates to these high standards.’
‘Matthew Bool has attention to detail, willingness to opine and availability to assist.’
‘The team demonstrate excellent customer focus and above all treat all matters with urgency and importance. They are very professional and are keen to resolve matters reasonably and carefully.’
‘With Matthew Bool and Chris Whitehouse, they know our business, they look after our interests and are very personable. I trust their opinion and I trust that their advice is the most effective route to take. They recall all our previous matters in detail and take pride in our construction projects and their role in them. The are very discrete and professional in their approach. We highly recommend them as construction solicitors.’
‘Chris Whitehouse is an excellent member of the practice and takes ownership of projects he’s instructed on. I have full confidence he’ll go above and beyond to deliver results for his clients.’
Transport for London (Crossrail and Silvertown Tunnel)
Westfield (now Unibail Rodamco Westfield)
The Rolex Watch Company Limited
Balfour Beatty Group Limited
Interserve Construction Limited
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
Maquarie/Green Investment Bank
Connect Plus M25 Limited
City of Edinburgh Council
Conrad Energy Holdings Limited
- Advised British Land on the redevelopment of Broadgate, a 32-acre mixed-use campus in the City and the largest pedestrianised neighbourhood in Central London.
- Advised Invesco Real Estate on the prestigious redevelopment of 40 and 50 Eastbourne Terrace, Paddington.
- Advised Connect Plus in relation to all aspects of the operation of the M25 and intersecting trunk road network and arrangements associated with its refinancing.
Baker McKenzie's team advises on a range of complex heavy engineering and process plant projects, as well as the development of commercial, residential and industrial buildings, both domestically and internationally, drawing on the firm's huge international reach. The construction group is led by Mike Webster, who has strong experience of energy, mining and infrastructure matters in international regions including Asia and the Caribbean. Marc Fèvre provides expertise on energy matters, especially renewable energy, acting for an impressive client base of developers, financial investors and governments.
Other key lawyers:
CIMB Bank and a consortium of lenders
Anaklia Development Consortium (ADC)
Ma’aden (Saudi Arabian Mining Company)
Global Ports Holding Plc
Korea Electric Power Corporation KEPCO
PepsiCo International Limited
Coblefret Group (C.RO Ports and Chh London Ltd)
- Advising a consortium of lenders on the multibillion-pound financing of the Battersea Power Station redevelopment project.
- Acting for Suez, Itochu Corporation and Marguerite as sponsors on the Belgrade landfill and energy-from-waste development and concession project.
- Acting for GPH as sponsors on the concession and development of a number of cruise port projects around the world, including in the Caribbean.
Clifford Chance LLP has an 'extremely bright and commercially astute' team with a wide-ranging practice, advising on real estate development and urban regeneration, both conventional and renewable energy, as well as social infrastructure matters. The 'outstanding and commercial' David Metzger leads the team; his experience has a particular focus on energy and transport and he also acts as co-head of the team's nuclear energy sector group. Marianne Toghill and Sandy Hall are recognised for their work in urban regeneration and infrastructure projects. Newly promoted partner Edward Bretherton has a track record of work on projects across Africa and Latin America.
‘The team is really a team and not a group of individuals. When I ask a question to one of the team who is not dealing with the issue, it always comes back via the right person instead of getting lost. Also, replies of different team members are in line with each other and have the same style, which is pleasant.’
‘Extremely bright and commercially astute – more so than most top firms.’
‘Every individual I have worked with at CC is easy to approach and very friendly. However, when it comes to the workload it is done fast and efficient. To me this combination is perfect.’
‘David Metzger is outstanding, bright, commercial and a deal-doer.’
Battersea Project Land Company Limited
State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR)
Electricite de France (EDF)
Baikal Mining Group
- Advising Kuwait National Petroleum Company/Kuwait Integrated Petroleum Industries Company on the construction and contract management aspects of the $16bn Al-Zour Refinery and Clean Fuels projects as well as the $8bn PRIZe facility.
- Advising the Battersea Power Station development team on the construction and procurement arrangements for the first three of eight main development phases, as well as on the landmark deal with TfL to bring the Northern Line Extension to the site.
- Advising EMF and EDF on the development of the three pathfinding offshore wind farms in France at Courseulles Sur Mer (450MW), Fecamp (498MW) and Saint Nazaire (480MW).
The team at Hogan Lovells International LLP work with an impressive client base of contractors, consultants, manufacturers and employers across a diverse set of sectors including space/aerospace, energy, transport, process plants and infrastructure. The team is led by Gillian Thomas, who has strong credentials on high-profile regeneration work and energy projects. Adrian Walker, who has two decades of experience in the construction sphere, handles both public and private sector work. The team also features Jeremy Brittenden, who specialises in infrastructure development, acting for both domestic and international clients.
Department for Transport
DP London Gateway Port
- Advising King’s Cross Central LP on all construction aspects of the £2bn, eight million sq ft King’s Cross Central development, London’s most prestigious mixed development.
- Advising Argent Related as development partner in the multibillion-pound Brent Cross South regeneration scheme.
The team at Norton Rose Fulbright is praised for being 'proactive and always looking to give sensible solutions to problems.' Mark Berry, who heads up the practice group, demonstrates an expert knowledge of EPC and EPCM contracts in relation to infrastructure, energy and mining sectors. He also has a track record of work on PPP projects. Peter Hall has decades of experience in construction law and has recently played a key role in the firm's Sustainable Cities initiative. Andrew Buisson is also recommended and is active in the accommodation, telecoms, mining and nuclear sectors.
‘Proactive and always looking to give sensible solutions to problems.’
‘Mark Berry is excellent and always does a great job.’
Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee
Ecobank Ghana Limited
European Investment Bank (EIB)
Eurasian Resources Group
Full Circle Generation Limited
INA-Industrija nafte (INA)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
JG Pears Power Limited
KS GOK LLC
Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
TAV HAVALIMANLARI Holdings A.S.
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi
- Advising the prospective lenders to the Hochtief/Iridium consortium, one of the shortlisted consortia bidding for this project.
- Advising Eurasian Resources Group and its subsidiary Metalkol S.A. on the construction and financing its RTR copper and cobalt project in the Kolwezi region of the DRC, using a Chinese EPC contractor and accessing financing from Chinese banks, with Sinosure cover, through the EPC contractor.
- Advised INA-Industrija nafte (INA) on the EPC Contract for INA’s strategically important residue upgrade project at its Rijeka refinery in Croatia.
White & Case LLP has a broad client base including governments, energy and utility companies and lenders. The firm's sector expertise includes all transport projects, oil, gas and mining. Ellis Baker heads the construction practice, which was joined in early 2019 by Richard Hill from Norton Rose Fulbright; he brings significant experience of projects in Central Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Daniel Garton handles both contentious and non-contentious work; while counsel Chris Duncan is another important member of the team.
‘The quality of work is excellent. They know what the issues are and the best approach to solve the problem from an in-house attorney perspective.’
‘I would describe the team to have extensive experience, good expertise, effective time management and communication skills.’
‘White & Case provides a higher quality of services than most firms. In-house peers learn from the best and White & Case has some of the largest commissions on which to learn.’
Salini Impregilo S.p.A., Jan De Nul N.V., Grupo Unidos por el Canal, S.A.
Teollisuuden Voima Oyj (TVO)
Senior lenders to Sirius Phase 2
Western Power Corporation
- Advising Carbon Holdings as the sponsor on all aspects of a multibillion-dollar petrochemical complex in Egypt.
- Advising Western Power Corporation, a project company backed by InfraCo Africa, on the development of the Ngonye Falls hydropower project in Zambia.
- Advising the owner on a $10bn project involving the construction of a new-build nuclear power station.
Allen & Overy LLP's team is highly active in the infrastructure and energy sectors and is praised for being 'pragmatic' and 'able to translate business needs into legal concepts'. Troy Edwards leads the practice group; he has expertise in both privately and publicly financed infrastructure projects, working with sponsors, governments and lenders. Mark Walker is also of note within the team - he is active across the UK, Europe and the Middle East on energy and infrastructure construction matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Always available, looking for solutions. Pragmatic, able to translate business needs into legal concepts.’
Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG
TAPI Pipeline Company Limited
Sizewell C (EDF Group)
Uniper UK Ltd
- Advising the NNB Generation Company (SZC) Limited (a subsidiary of EDF) on all aspects of the highly complex multi-contract construction, delivery and supply chain strategy for the Sizewell C project.
- Advising the project company on all aspects of the development and implementation of the new-build Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan and India gas pipeline project, including the complex multi-contract procurement and construction arrangements.
- Advised the Macquarie-led consortium on their bid for Silvertown Tunnel. The project is being developed as a public-private partnership with TfL and involves the design, construction, financing, maintenance and operation of the Silvertown Tunnel.
The 'highly capable' team at Burges Salmon LLP works with clients across a range of specialist sectors including energy and utilities, transport and real estate. Steven James leads the team; he advises clients on nuclear projects and renewable energy as well as transport work. William Gard leads the infrastructure sector group while Marcus Harling provides a 'calm, competent and professional attitude' and has advised on the development of university campuses.
‘The team is highly capable, calm and filters down complex issues into the ones that really matter.’
‘Marcus Harling is well respected and manages a team of advisers who carry the same calm, competent and professional attitude.’
Crown Commercial Service
Transport for London
- Produced a bank of precedent framework agreements, call-off contracts and ancillary documents based on both JCT and NEC4 terms for Merseyrail’s infrastructure enhancement works.
- Advising Major Water Utility in relation to works and services necessitated by the HS2 programme, which will disrupt its regulated assets, including new water treatment plants to deal with potential turbidity caused by tunnelling operations.
- Advising a Caribbean government on the delivery and procurement of a new waste-to-energy scheme and waste management system.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP provides a 'holistic and joined-up' service to construction clients with a team led by Steven Carey, who advises employers, major contractors, engineers, sub-contractors and suppliers, both in the the domestical and international markets. His background as a structural engineer provides him with a unique insight into the field of construction. Kevin Forsyth gives 'pure legal advice' in the context of the 'realities of a commercial environment.' James Worthington, who recently made partner, is active in regeneration work, representing clients including housebuilders.
‘This firm manages to provides a coherent and joined-up service offering , despite its significant size, avoiding some some of the pitfalls of their competitors who, whilst providing good service, are unable to deliver this in a holistic and joined-up manner – an attribute of CRS. They have the ability to cover all challenges from both significant contract drafting through to advice to start-ups.’
‘Kevin Forsyth brings a breath of fresh air in his approach. Despite being a senior partner at the firm his delivery is given in a very bespoke and personal way, with competent advice and the ability to work with clients in a manner that balances pure legal advice with the realities of a commercial environment. Kevin also has the ability and drive to deliver to what are often unrealistic client timescales.’
‘James Worthington has an old head on young shoulders. James is able to draft complex contracts quickly and still maintain quality, thereby enabling complex commercial deadlines to be achieved.’
BioMed Realty LLP
Derwent London PLC
Manhattan Loft Corporation
Siemens Postal, Parcel and Airport Logistics Limited
United Living Group
London Array Limited
- Advised Countryside on its successful bid to acquire and develop, from Homes England, the site forming part of Northern Arc Burgess Hill.
- Continue to advise Derwent on a number of cross-practice matters. Acting on the sale of 40 Chancery Lane to a Deka Immobilien fund for a headline price of £121.3m.
- Acting for Bauer Technologies (the UK arm of Bauer Group, the stock-market listed global construction company with revenues in excess of £1.3bn) in relation to all of their non-contentious construction work, regarding their piling and groundworks operations.
Clyde & Co LLP's team, which is recognised for its 'diverse range of skills, experience and personalities', advises on the drafting and negotiating of all standard forms of construction agreements. The well-regarded John Morris leads the global projects and construction group and has acts for a wide range of purchaser and supplier clients. He is supported by the experienced Robert Meakin, who is active in the industrial, residential and leisure sectors. Legal director Will Cooper is also recommended.
‘The team is well led by John Morris and has a diverse range of skills, experience and personalities. We deal with a selection of individual lawyers who are able to bring their own set of personal attributes, negotiating skills, arguments and opinions across a diverse range of commercial situations. we also know that we are able to call on alternative views from within the same team.’
‘A good experienced team led by Robert Meakin, with clear understanding of the issues that are relevant to contractors.’
‘John Morris is always available, candid in his views and able to deliver advice, usually of a specialist or strategic nature, promptly and succinctly.’
‘Will Cooper is extremely competent, commands a great presence in his dealings and provides excellent tutelage to his team of lawyers.’
‘Robert Meakin has many years of PPP/PFI experience.’
Standardkessel Baumgarte Gmbh
- Advising Standardkessel Baumgarte GmnH in their role as plant supplier to the EPC Contractor (an affiliate of Acciona) pursuant to a Supply & Related Services Agreement.
The team at Dentons has broad expertise of advising on UK infrastructure and international mining and energy projects, as well major housebuilding matters. The non-contentious practice is led by Mark Macaulay, who is highly experienced in the field as a construction procurement expert. He also has a noted international presence, having advised clients across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Transport is key sector for the practice group.
Transport for London (new panel appointment this year)
M&G Real Estate
London Luton Airport Operations Limited
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited (new panel appointment this year)
- Acted for Uzmetkombinat JSC, a public/private joint venture company which is procuring the construction of the Uzbek Metallurgy Plant in Bekabad, Tashkent Region in Uzbekistan.
- Advised TfL on its £250m delivery partner contract for its programme of track renewals and maintenance works.
- Acting for developer, Helical plc, in the major refurbishment and extension of a London city centre office scheme at Barts Close in Smithfield, London.
DLA Piper's 'excellent' team is jointly led by Sarah Thomas and Peter Lowe. Thomas' practice involves work for clients in the water, energy and mining sectors, advising on high-profile infrastructure projects, both domestically and internationally. Lowe, who is seen as 'having all the attributes to go very far', has strong experience of acting on R&D, mixed use and regeneration work in a variety of sectors, including advising developers and funders.
‘An excellent team able to deliver not only large infrastructure projects, but also smaller one-off developments with equal care and attention.’
‘Stephen Malley ably heads up the UK construction team. He has built an excellent reputation in the market in terms of delivering insightful commercial legal advice in a timely manner to ensure projects progress to timetable. He has a loyal national team and has taken much time to build not only external relationships, but also internally – that shows in the seamless service delivery, whether or not coming from London, Liverpool or Birmingham.’
‘Peter Lowe is a relatively new construction partner but has all the attributes to go very far.’
Global Student Accommodation
- Advising Quintain on the construction documentation for various phase of its multibillion-pound regeneration project at Wembley.
- Advising CA Ventures in connection with the construction documentation for its student accommodation and co-living projects in the UK.
- Advising GSA in connection with the construction documentation for its student accommodation projects in the UK.
The team at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is 'highly experienced across all aspects of their areas of expertise', advising on a wide range of energy, transport and infrastructure matters, including renewable energy projects. Simon Oats leads the global construction team; Jonathan Douglas , who heads up the UK team, has a strong track record of work on major construction developments
‘The team are highly experienced across all aspects of their areas of expertise. This enables them to deliver complex projects within time and budget even when unforeseen challenges emerge. We have worked with the firm across various countries and projects of different technologies, sizes, and lifecycle stages are very pleased with the quality of their service.’
‘The members of the construction team are highly skilled and always deliver high-quality, bespoke work products under mandate or in special situations.’
The Hospital Company (Liverpool) Limited
Thames Water Utilities Limited
Jean François Clin
60 Curzon Street Developments Limited (an SPV of Brockton Everlast Inc)
- Advising The Hospital Company (Liverpool) Limited set up to deliver the £400m Royal Liverpool Hospital PFI Project.
- Advised LendLease Construction (Europe) Limited, which was employed by Catalyst Higher Education (Sheffield) plc as part of a PFI to design and build student accommodation at the university.
- Supporting Glennmont Partners on investment in clean energy infrastructure, in their process of acquiring the Piiparinmäki windfarm from Ilmatar Energy, a joint venture between Omnes-managed Capenergie 3 and Ilmatar Windpower plc.
Fenwick Elliott LLP's non-contentious team has recently bolstered its ranks with the promotion of several senior associates to partnership, providing greater capacity to handle major renewable energy matters, as well as higher education and residential development. David Bebb co-leads the team; his experience covers both domestic and international work, as well as a focus on procurement strategies. Jatinder Garcha's specialism is renewable energy work, as well as energy from waste matters.
- Advising Bilfinger Engineering & Technologies on the design, supply and installation of pipework and the installation of free-issue equipment at the Hinkley Point C nuclear power station.
- Represented London Square Developments on the redevelopment of Holloway Prison to provide social and private housing.
Gowling WLG works with a strong roster of developers, contractors and institutional purchasers/investors on non-contentious construction matters. The team, which has a prominent reputation for technology-related matters, is led by Richard Green, who has acted on some of the UK's largest construction schemes. Philip Baker advises clients including funders and institutions on project delivery and procurement strategies. Senior associate Sarah Rock is also noted for her transactional experience, including work on projects involving digital construction.
Janus Henderson UK Property PAIF
Legal & General
The National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society
Royal London Mutual Insurance Society
Charles Wells Brewery
London Borough of Barnet
Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
- Advising Battersea Power Station Development Company on the power station building and the provision of a new London Underground station.
- Working with The Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited on a mixed use development on a complex site which includes a number of existing buildings, some of which sit within a conservation area.
- Advising Lidl on construction-related matters to assist with their expanding store portfolio, their aim being to grow their retail offering to 1,000 stores in the next three years.
HFW's team has particular specialisms in international infrastructure work and offshore projects in the UK, and has recently been acting for major contractors in both spheres. Max Wieliczko leads the team; his experience spans several decades, with a recent focus on offshore construction matters. Richard Booth is prominent on renewable energy work as well as rail infrastructure. Ben Mellors is experienced in onshore and offshore power projects, as well as having particular knowledge of infrastructure development.
VolkerWessels Group (UK and Netherlands)
Kuwait Oil Company
Visser & Smit Hanab B.V.
Hochtief Solutions AG
Belectric Gulf Limited
Robert Bird Group
J Reddington Group
Al Gihaz Contracting Co
- Advising VolkerRail on the successful tender for the £1.5bn Signalling & Telecoms Framework with Network Rail.
- Advising a major European EPC contractor on the tender for a £100m export cable transport and installation contract for a major round 3 UK offshore wind farm.
- Advising a Middle Eastern state on the tender and contracts for the $1bn conversion of two large crude carriers into floating, storage and offloading units.
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP is noted for its infrastructure expertise in the UK, as well as its work on real estate developments. The team is co-led by Matthew Smith and Kevin Greene; Smith is prominent in both the domestic and international spheres on energy and rail infrastructure work, while Greene specialises in commercial development, with expertise in all forms of contractual documentation. Matthew Walker, who splits his time between Doha and London, is also recommended for his transport work.
Nuveen Real Estate and companies including St James Edinburgh Unit Trust
Hitachi Rail Limited
Transport for London (including London Underground Limited, LUL Nominee SSL Ltd and LUL Nominee BCV Ltd)
Laing O’Rourke Group
Greater London Authority (GLA)
Mass Rapid Transit Malaysia
Crown Commercial Services
Halcrow (Consulting Engineers & Architects)
- Advising on the construction of the St James Quarter Development – a £850m project in Edinburgh.
- Advising Vanquish Properties on the construction of the 40 Leadenhall Street Development – a £1bn project.
- Acted for Creative Technology Group advising on its contracts for specialist projection facilities at the EXPO 2020 in Dubai.
Macfarlanes LLP assists a premium roster of clients, which include developers, investors, house builders and banks, on a range of non-contentious matters relating to real estate, energy and infrastructure projects. Angus Dawson heads up the team - which is praised for being 'good at building personal relationships' - and is noted for his advice on lease, development and funding agreements.
‘Macfarlanes are a professional firm and attentive to us as a client.’
‘Very friendly and good at building personal relationships.’
‘Angus Dawson and Alex Crockford are very thorough, understand our business, have a no-nonsense approach and understand the markets.’
‘Angus Dawson is a good negotiator.’
Legal & General
Royal Marsden NHS Trust
- Advising a range of L&G’s funds on construction projects for asset classes ranging from build-to-rent accommodation, office and industrial to film studios. Provided critical support on the construction front to the business during the Covid-19 pandemic and led its response on potential construction claims relating to the Covid-19.
- Advising on the majority of Stanhope’s construction projects, including the signature 50-storey 8 Bishopsgate office tower.
- Advising on the £250m HYLO office development and the £350m Regent’s Crescent high-end residential development.
Mayer Brown International LLP advises clients in the energy, engineering, transport, mining and waste sectors on a broad array of transactional construction matters. The team is headed up by Michael Regan and Jonathan Olson-Welsh. They act both domestically and internationally on large development and project transactions. The 'attentive and knowledgeable' Olson-Welsh has also been involved in mining projects around the world. Jonathan Hosie provides advice on procurement and project documentation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mayer Brown have provided us with sound commercial contractual advice for many years. Their understanding of our business model, and how this has evolved over the period, has been superb. They have an in-depth knowledge of construction law and how it applies to our specific business.’
‘Jonathon Olson-Welsh is attentive and knowledgeable.’
Wates Construction Limited (and following its acquisition, Shepherd Engineering Services)
St George (part of the Berkeley Group)
Gardiner & Theobald LLP
Tüpras (Türkiye Petrol Rafinerileri)
Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd
- Continuous advice given to Wates Contractors, a long-term client of the firm.
- Advising Gaw Capital on the development works at 123-151 Buckingham Palace Road.
- Continue to act for the St George group of companies in relation to developments throughout London.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP's team 'provide a very practical approach to complex construction law issues that impact mega-global projects.' The firm acts on infrastructure and construction matters in key sectors such as energy. Richard Ceeney, who leads the team, is noted for his 'ability to grasp issues quickly and resolve them quickly.' Vincent Rowan is also recommended, and has an active international practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a level of knowledge applicable to the real world, and the ability to overcome and resolve issues.’
‘Reed Smith provide a very practical approach to looking at non-contentious and complex construction law issues that impact mega-global projects. They bring to bear both a view of how to resolve ongoing issues as well as how issues could play out in the context of a dispute. This is of tremendous value to the client to help make informed decisions.’
‘Knowledgeable in law as well as construction, practical approach, always available and responsive.’
‘Richard Ceeney is personable and understanding, and has the ability to grasp issues quickly and resolve them quickly.’
‘Vincent Rowan is an extremely skilled legal practitioner who has a wealth of knowledge of complex project delivery issues. He is able to both advance and challenge view points in very quick order which is quite useful for a client especially in the midst of a mega project.’
Slaughter and May
Slaughter and May stands out for its work on high-profile construction and infrastructure projects across the UK, advising a number of Premier League football clubs on stadium construction and development. The team has also been advising a number of other major clients on the construction aspects of the fit-out of their office headquarters. Team head Richard Todd is active both domestically and internationally, advising on commercial office developments; senior associate Tom Inker is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Solid legal advice but with commercial reality.’
‘Very knowledgeable team in all aspects of construction. Hands-on legal advice with an understanding of clients’ commercial objectives.’
‘I would always recommend Tom Inker to clients – a hardworking, knowledgeable lawyer.’
Lendlease Construction Europe
Everton Football Club
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Arsenal Football Club
MasterWorks Development Corporation
Legal & General
Essex County Council
- Acting for Lendlease Construction Europe on all aspects of their Project for the Birmingham Commonwealth Games for 2022.
- Advising Everton Football Club on the construction of a new 52,000 seat stadium at Bramley Moore Dock and the redevelopment of Goodison Park.
- Advising Tottenham Hotspur Football Club on all aspects of the construction of their new 62,000 seat stadium at White Hart Lane.
Taylor Wessing LLP's non-contentious construction practice covers both domestic and international matters, including work on real estate development and development finance. Matthew Jones heads up the team and has strong experience of working on projects across the world including in Germany, Australia, Egypt and Spain. David Quinlan acts on infrastructure projects across a range of sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘I like Taylor Wessing’s helpful, proactive and commercial approach to matters.’
‘The team shows high competence, a great attitude to clients and professionalism.’
Tritax Big Box REIT
J&A Young (Leicester) Ltd (Jayplas)
InfraRed Capital Partners
Buxton Building Contractors
- Sole legal adviser for Tritax on corporate and real estate work. Recent work has focused on the forward funding of various schemes, including a number of new build logistics centres. This has involved detailed due diligence on, and negotiation of, construction contracts for the construction of each scheme.
- Advising on the construction matters for National Westminster Bank in a £59m facility arrangement for the purpose of refinancing the cost of a development of Portsmouth and Cardiff Properties.
- Advising on a framework agreement on behalf of Barclays for a panel of contractors at various sites across the UK in respect of certain mechanical, electrical and building services projects, including critical engineering systems to data centres, head office buildings and offices with trading floors and within live operational environments.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP possess an 'exemplary' team which acts on a broad remit of transactional construction matters. This includes a specialised approach to modular construction projects in the UK. Stephanie Canham leads the team; her primary client base is private and commercial developers, which she advises on mixed use and regeneration work. Also recommended is Charles Morrish who is an expert in construction procurement matters and acts for a range of both private and public sector clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team were exemplary from the outset. They helped us to marshal the key information, and then to progress things in a commercially sensible way. They recommended excellent experts based on their extensive knowledge.’
‘The team are clearly expert with depth of knowledge and experience. Compared to other firms they were easy to do business with – practical, attentive to our requirements and caution, responsive and good humoured.’
The Berkeley Group plc
Museum of London
Hermes Investment Management
Westminster City Council
West Midlands Combined Authority
Eco World London
Octopus Real Estate
Secretary of State and LocatED
Bouygues UK Limited
Chase New Homes
Geneva Management Group
- Advising Berkeley on the construction and infrastructure aspects of the multi-phased development of a 10 hectare/25-acre site at Stephenson Street, West Ham.
- Advising Westminster City Council on the £250m regeneration of Oxford Street, London.
- Advising Eco World on the construction and finance aspects of its Verdo-Kew Bridge project in West London.
Construction specialist firm Beale & Co offers a full service transactional practice which advises consultants and contractors across the UK and is 'second to none in terms of understanding the industry. The firm has also recently grown its international profile, with significant projects undertaken in a range of jurisdictions around the world. 'Charming and supportive' team head Will Buckby stands out as a 'trusted and reliable partner' who handles work in the Middle East, Africa and across the UK, assisting on all standard forms of contracts and advising on projects in multiple sectors including rail, energy and hospitality.
‘Will Buckby’s team are an invaluable resource and offer flexible and expert support to a company whose technical know-how is not always matched with the necessary commercial competence nor contractual savvy. Will’s team have been quick to learn the areas of importance and stress points for our business, offer expert and relevant legal advice and are inherently flexible as to how they can support us. Their in-house experience leads to a commercially minded approach to problem solving and ensures effective advice.’
‘Second to none in terms of understanding the industry, the issues, the politics and what value for money looks like. Customer experience is always front and centre.’
‘Will Buckby has proven to be a trusted and reliable partner during the past 18 months. Commercially minded, always willing and quickly understands the issues at hand. His willingness to expend the extra effort to find the right solution to the problem at hand stands out and his insight and market knowledge is gaining a strong following within our management.’
‘Will Buckby is the best all-round partner I have dealt with regardless of industry or sector. He is technically excellent and a hard negotiator but comes with buckets of EQ making him a very charming and supportive person to have on your side.’
Arup Group Limited
Association for Consultancy and Engineering
Atkins (a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group)
- Advising a multinational engineering consultant on its joint venture appointment in relation to the construction of a vital energy infrastructure project in the South of the UK.
- Providing contractual advice to a well-known civil and structural engineering company in relation to the construction of a large mixed-use development in London with a project cost in excess of £150m.
- Advising an international architect on its design appointment for the construction of a nationally significant c. £1bn historical and cultural institution in the Middle East.
The team at Fieldfisher is regarded as 'smarter than most' and is praised for 'building strong business relationships'. Dan Preston, who leads the non-contentious offering, was part of a team the firm recruited from RPC in early 2019 - he has a strong record of work in relation to nuclear power plants and major infrastructure projects, acting for suppliers and purchases. Cecily Davis is an 'exceptional leader' who primarily acts on regeneration and development matters, with a focus on the transport and energy sectors; she also co-leads the practice's Africa group.
‘Fieldfisher’s construction team provide a really personal service, going out of their way to understand your business and the dynamics of how it operates so as to tailor their support to the best areas. They build strong business relationships so that its like working within in-house counsel. I can trust them to understand what I need and not be afraid to challenge when they need clarity. Theirs is a more personable service than other practices which comes with great industry connections that I can benefit from.’
‘The people I deal with at Fieldfisher are smarter than most and bring a level of insight I’ve not seen elsewhere. They treat me as a friend and a client, genuinely looking out for me and what’s right for my business.’
‘Cecily Davis is an exceptional leader and goes out of her way to stay connected and make sure I’m getting the right support from her team and the wider business outside of the construction practice. Cecily brings a great sense of fun and enthusiasm to their work with us. Couldn’t ask for better support.’
‘Dan Preston has a deep knowledge of both the construction industry and the constantly evolving legislation and is able to give excellent succinct advice that allows our business to make the decisions it needs to.’
DAFA Properties Group
McDermott Marine Construction Limited
NMS Infrastructure Limited
Burns & McDonell
Fladgate LLP's transactional construction practice advises on international projects, modular construction in the hotels sector and refurbishment work domestically. David Weare, who leads the team, works with a range of clients on procurement and contractual matters. Olivia Bateman displays breath in her practice, advising on development and sale agreements as well as building contracts in a number of sectors including retail and leisure. Digby Hebbard is likewise recommended for his energy and healthcare expertise.
Base Contracts Limited
West Midlands Trains
Science Museum Group
National Portrait Gallery
Michael J Lonsdale Limited
Sanguine Hospitality Developments Cardiff Ltd
- Drafted and negotiated building contracts and associated project documents in relation to the design and construction of the Science Museum Group’s landmark new off-site 33,000 sq m storage facility.
- Provided all construction advice relating to the £150m refinancing of the Alameda Building which was recently practically completed on plot W03 at Wembley Park.
- Advising U + I Group Plc on the development as part of a £130m public private partnership with Brighton and Hove Council of a mixed use development scheme.
Specialist commercial real estate firm Maples Teesdale LLP's transactional construction practice is led by the 'diligent' Sam Nichols, who acts on development projects such as shopping centres, PRS schemes, universities and student accommodation. Nichols also acts on the construction aspects of acquisitions and disposals as well as regeneration matters.
‘More responsive than some other practices.’
‘Sam Nichols is diligent and provides clear advice to clients.’
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Legal & General
BMO Real Estate
CBRE Global Investors
Conran & Partners
- Advising The Collective on their latest developments in areas including Hackney Wick, Westminster and Stratford, with a collective development value in excess of £750m.
- Advising Patrizia on a number of funds, advising on sales including an the off-market sale of Abingdon Business Park in Oxfordshire, on behalf of its UK Value 2 fund, to Royal London Mutual Insurance Society for £61m.
- Advised Alterx on the £21m purchase of Vicar Lane Shopping Centre, which included advising a Luxembourg SPV incorporated by Alterx in relation to a £12m finance package arranged by AgFe to acquire the 216,790 sq ft shopping centre in Chesterfield.
Memery Crystal LLP offers a 'proactive and client-friendly' service on non contentious construction work, handling EPC procurement, design and build matters and traditional construction issues. Team head Joanne Kelly is 'professional and commercial' and has advised contractors and developers on renewable energy contracts with a focus on wind projects and procurement matters.
‘Proactive and client-friendly.’
‘Joanne Kelly is at the top of the list as our go-to construction lawyer. Her standard of work and advice is always extremely well thought-out, professional and commercial. Her understanding of the construction process and not just contracts is a terrific benefit in agreeing contracts and appointments and leads to a very good team spirit and understanding from day one of the project.’
‘The team contains people who are experienced in both contentious and non-contentious work, so they bring both astute commercial knowledge but also an understanding of what happens when things go wrong.’
‘Jo Kelly is excellent. She has a clear understanding of the issues and is very focused on commercial and practical realities.’
Global Holdings Management (UK)
Big Yellow Construction Company
Saracens Rugby Club
- Advised Telford Homes on the JCT Design and Build contract for their Nine Elms scheme in relation to the construction aspects of their 250-unit + Equipment Works development site in Walthamstow, London.
- Advised Global Holdings on construction matters on a number of their projects.
- Advised Big Yellow on newly acquired sites in Harrow, Uxbridge, Battersea and Bracknell this year which they refurbished and converted into a self-storage centre.
Osborne Clarke LLP
Osborne Clarke LLP handles a wide range of construction matters, advising on logistics facilities, student accommodation as well as waste from energy projects. The team is co-led Philip Davies , who is able to 'easily address complicated legal issues' with experience on procurement across the UK. His client base is made up of developers, funders and contractors. Carl Thompson advises on the construction aspects of energy and infrastructure projects.
‘The team is well managed with ease of access to key partners and consistency of continued senior involvement in our projects. We get what we pay for, which is up-to-date and industry leading commercial advice that is focused on resolving issues for the benefit of all and delivery. The breadth of the team is good, with continued senior oversight.’
‘Phil Davies is the client partner and is absolutely top of his game. Very knowledgeable and easily addresses complicated legal issues.’
Midas Construction Limited
M&G Real Estate
Northacre Renewable Energy Limited
Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Ltd
Bioenergy Infrastructure Group
- Advising Gazeley on the plan to develop a first-of-a-kind logistics facility in the heart of London.
- Acting for Civitas Living on the successful bid to build accommodation for 1,400 students at the University of York.
- Advising Northacre Renewable Energy Limited on its £180m development, construction and all aspects of what will be one of the largest energy-from-waste projects in the UK.
Sharpe Pritchard LLP advises on all forms of construction contracts, regeneration and development matters and engineering projects. The firm focuses on the public sector and is renowned for its 'enormous specialist expertise in local government work'. Clients include local authorities, developers, project sponsors and consultants. Examples of the firm's work include housing schemes and student accommodation; the team also advises on major infrastructure projects, leisure facilities and town-centre redevelopments. Justin Mendelle heads the team, which has also recently moved into the education sector, winning a number of major new clients.
‘Justin Mendelle is exceptionally client-friendly, very bright and unbelievably hard-working. He is very good at managing clients and driving the case forward.’
‘Justin Mendelle consistently provides sound legal, practical, cost-effective and appropriate strategic advice.’
‘The firm has enormous specialist expertise in local government work. No other firm has anything like this level of specialist knowledge.’
‘The team have a strong grasp of the issues and certainly have an ability above that which could be provided by our own in-house legal team. An extremely collaborative team willing to deal with the simplest issue to the vastly complex.’
‘They take a very holistic approach to big projects and are always on hand for help and advice. Great at reaching strategic aims for the council by understanding our values and visions.’
‘Great bespoke advice. Excellent at supporting and directing complex,time driven, resource hungry public procurement programmes.’
‘Excellent construction law and contract knowledge; sound practical advice along with astute tactical and strategic advice for clients.’
Buckinghamshire County Council
West Sussex County Council
Milton Keynes Council
Kings College London
London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
Cornwall County Council
Derbyshire County Council
- Advising an NHS Foundation Trust in respect of its procurement of a Hard FM and Soft FM provider for its entire estate using the CPN procedure.
- Advised London Borough of Southwark on a new homes scheme, involving the formalisation of over 15 contracts for the construction of new homes based on the JCT Design and Build contract 2016.
- Advised the Royal Borough of Greenwich on new build council housing using modular construction, an innovative programme lasting up to 10 years to build new council housing over a range of sites.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons' non-contentious construction practice primarily advises on transport infrastructure including roads and railways, sea and air ports. Team head Richard Dyton is 'very responsive and gives practical advice.' His expertise lies in transportation and energy from waste work, while he has also acted on a range of PPP projects in the international sphere. Alex Bloomfield is recommended for his work on infrastructure financing, advising project sponsors, lenders and funds.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are willing to be challenged, yet when a point of principle needs to be adhered they will robustly set out their argument. They are commercial in their aspect and provide options and solutions.’
‘A practice which has a broad range of different legal specialities and one which I know will respond, providing, quality advice and people no matter the subject or location.’
‘Richard Dyton is always very good, very responsive and gives practical advice.’
Standard Chartered Bank
Credit Suisse International
Great Elm Assets Limited
Fairview New Homes Ltd
Hines UK Limited
Clean Tech UK (a subsidiary of Plastipak)
Bouygues Energies & Services Ireland Limited (BYES)
Santiago Calatrava SA
- Advised developer, Old Park Lane Management on the 300,000 sq ft pre-let of 20 Ropemaker Street to Linklaters, who have chosen OPL’s 27-storey, wellness-focused development as the location of its new global headquarters. Advised OPL in relation to the placing of the £240m building contract for both 20 and 22 Ropemaker Street with Skanska.
- Advised on a number of transactions for Deka, including the acquisition and/or financing of fully developed commercial properties to properties requiring completion in construction.
Stephenson Harwood undertakes a range of work on infrastructure development and real estate development, with sector expertise in the rail infrastructure, hotels and leisure sectors. Graeme Barton leads the practice; his client base is made up of purchasers, suppliers and funders, which he advises on a range of issues including construction, engineering and infrastructure projects. The team also has sector specialisms in energy, hotels & leisure and education.
The Royal College of Art
4C Hotels Group
LaSalle Investment Management
Schroders Real Estate
- Advice on the renovation of the Mandarin Oriental Hotels Group’s flagship London hotel.
- Acting for a Jersey based unit trust on the demolition of the former NatWest tower on Colmore Row in Birmingham and on the construction of a new landmark 26-storey building comprising 206,000 sq ft of Grade A offices and 15,000 sq ft of leisure space to include a rooftop restaurant and a four storey winter garden.
- Advising NLWA on all legal aspects of its North London Heat and Power Project – a ten year programme to build a new Energy Recovery Facility at the Edmonton EcoPark in Enfield.
Wedlake Bell LLP's practice is prominent across a variety of non-contentious construction matters including high-value house refurbishments and apartment and office developments, advising domestic and international owners and funders. Sarah Elliott works on hotel, biotech and mixed-use developments. Helen Garthwaite acts on sustainable construction and financing matters while Suzanne Reeves works with developers, project sponsors, consultants, and specialist contractors.
The Honourable Society of Middle Temple
Russian HNW individual
- Advising developer Elysian Residences on all construction development and finance aspects for its schemes across London and the South East.
- Acting for The Honourable Society of Middle Temple in preparing and negotiating the construction contract, appointments, collateral warranties and providing advice for the refurbishment and alterations of Garden Court and Blackstone House.
- Providing advice to a developer/investor in relation to the redevelopment of seafront buildings in Margate, including a seafront hotel, in association with the Dreamland Amusement Park.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP is active across the energy, transport and manufacturing sectors, handling major construction and engineering projects for a wide range of clients. Simon Rowland leads the national construction and engineering team from Newcastle, while Alex Hirom co-leads the London offering. Hirom leads on a range of UK and international transactional matters including projects, contracts work and project finance. He works alongside Hannah Cane, who specialises in construction insurance issues.
Venator Materials UK Limited
South Tees Site Company Ltd
Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution
Venator P&A France SA
- Advising Venator on the EPCm, construction and procurement contracts on the reinstatement of its Tioxide Plant in Pori, Finland.
- Advising South Tees Site Company on the construction contracts and procurement strategy for its multimillion-pound decommissioning project of the former SSI steel works plant in Redcar, Yorkshire.
- Advising Synthomer on the development of a new production facility in Ribecourt, France.
South West-based firm Ashfords LLP has an 'extremely professional and diligent' London team with a particular focus on work for local authorities and developers on projects and regeneration schemes. The 'exemplary' Jessica Taylor leads the team and has advised on social regeneration projects, with particular work undertaken for London councils. Alongside this, her clients include contractors, consultants and banks. Neel Mehta assists clients with their construction contracts and subcontract arrangements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ashfords have always gone beyond my expectations in terms of dealing with any issues faces by my organisation. I’ve noticed the amount of off-the-clock support they have given – when I’ve worked with similar organisations, it feels that the stopwatch starts for every call.’
‘Extremely professional and diligent team.’
‘The team know their stuff and spot potential issues.’
‘Jessica Taylor has been our main contact – every partner she has introduced me to has also met our needs, Jessica has been exemplary in every matter whether directly involved or working alongside us.’
London Borough of Hackney
The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain
Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
Brick by Brick (Croydon) Limited
Wates Construction Limited
Yarlington Homes Limited
Navigant Europe Limited
Parabel (UK) Limited
Prosperity Capital Limited
MNM Property Services Limited
Wandsworth Borough Council
- Advising the London Borough of Hackney on the delivery of a complex social infrastructure regeneration project including a new secondary school, leisure centre, six residential tower blocks and a new energy centre.
- Advising the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and Wandsworth Borough Council on the procurement of a contractor and associated advice and documentation for the design and construction of a joint multifunctional control room providing 24 hour services, including CCTV and alarm response.
- Acting for Wates Construction in relation to the negotiation and completion of a 10-year Framework Agreement for repair, maintenance and capital works.
Bevan Brittan LLP, which has 'excellent public sector and in-depth NHS knowledge', has an active practice advising on renewable energy, housing projects and urban regeneration. Key clients include councils, universities and developers. Andrew Tobin leads the practice; he is active for health and government clients and is prominent in the education construction sphere, having led on a number of high-profile projects. He has also developed a relationship with the Department of Education on academy building projects. Louise Robling is likewise recommended for her non-contentious expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent public sector and in-depth NHS knowledge. Very proactive and up to date on current market knowledge.’
‘Andrew Tobin provides clear and easy to understand communication, translating advice on complex issues into easy to practical advice.’
City of London
Department for Education
Wates Construction Limited
Places for People
London Borough of Hounslow
Universities Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
University of Oxford
- Advising the City of London on the £330m redevelopment of Smithfield Market as the new Museum of London.
- Advising the London Borough of Hounslow on all construction aspects of the Brentford Waterside regeneration project that will create up to 800 new homes, retail, offices, landscaped public spaces and new public parking.
- Advised University Hospitals Birmingham on all construction legal issues relating to the construction of a new 138-bed hospital providing acute care to private patients and excess capacity to other hospitals.
Boodle Hatfield LLP's offers a 'partner-led service' which acts for developers, professional consultants and landowners. The practice is helmed by John Wevill who is 'always reliable, available and responsive.' His work includes advising on the construction aspects of hotel and leisure developments.
‘John Wevill is emotionally engaged with issues and is always reliable, available and responsive.’
‘Boodle Hatfield’s construction and property teams provide a very personable partner-led service. They are especially good working with private lay clients guiding them through the construction process and acting as the client’s eyes and ears de-risking a project at all stages.’
‘John Weevil and Oliver Johnson show great attention to detail and are also tenacious when they have to be but also pragmatic at the same time.’
Bracewell (UK) LLP advises on the full range of construction and engineering contracts, as well as a variety of other non-contentious construction matters. Tracy London, who leads the team, specialises in the energy sector, with experience in multiple jurisdictions, including Europe, Africa and the Middle East - she is praised for her commercial knowledge of the market. Work involves both conventional and renewable energy matters.
‘Each member of the team possesses skills and abilities of very high and equal calibre. This facilitates access to advice and gives reliability.’
‘They have the unique ability to get up to speed very quickly and immediately begin adding real value. Their negotiations and drafting are constructive with the idea to get a reasonable deal done quickly, not argue over every point.’
‘Tracy London possesses a high ability to understand they key issues for the client in relation to the relevant transaction and translate these into robust legal solutions which are also viable from a commercial point of view. She has the benefit of being a very skilled commercial lawyer and a lawyer with detailed legal know-how.’
‘Tracy London has been outstanding with quick and thorough engagement on our projects. She brings years of construction-related legal experience and her knowledge of market helps all parties reach reasonable conclusions.’
Equinor (previously known as Statoil)
Alcazar Energy Partners
Fotowatio Renewable Ventures (FRV)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Arabia Trading and Consulting Company
- Advising Alcazar Energy on various wind and solar projects in Jordan and Egypt.
- Advising Delfin LNG in relation to vessel EPCIC agreements, FEED contracts and consultancy agreements for its proposed development of a 13 MPTA floating LNG project in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Advising Equinor on its commercial contracts as part of the procurement programme for its Empire Wind Offshore Project in USA.
Browne Jacobson LLP acts for a range of public and private sector clients including NHS trusts, insurers, contractors and developers. Tim Claremont is noted for his work for clients on domestic and international engineering and construction matters such as EPC contract work for energy projects. Jo Phillips, a recent addition to the team after joining from Hogan Lovells International LLP in December 2019, is recognised for her knowledge of project structuring on local and international work.
Other key lawyers:
Zurich Insurance plc
Tokio Marine HCC
Alpha Real Capital
- Advising on two projects for the Mace Data Centre business units, with the total value of construction work exceeding €1bn.
- Advising on the £100m re-development of Nottingham Forest Football Ground to expand capacity at the stadium and to incorporate a mixed use residential/commercial development.
- Acted for F3 Group in drafting and negotiating the construction documentation for the design and construction of student accommodation and associated works at 21 St Thomas Street, Bristol which is valued at £60m.
Devonshires Solicitors LLP is well-known for its work for housing associations and housing trusts. The firm's non-contentious team handles all forms of construction contracts as well as development agreements. Mark London leads the team and has assisted developers and local authorities while Kathryn Kligerman acts on developments and infrastructure projects, advising developers and land owners. Asif Patel is a key contact for developers, funders, investment vehicles, local authorities and registered social housing landlords.
Yuanda (UK) Co. Ltd.
Liberty Gas Company Limited
Home Group Limited
Notting Hill Genesis
Peabody Housing Trust
London and Quadrant Housing Trust/Quadrant Construction
Flagship Housing Association
Southern Housing Group
Your Housing Group
Metropolitan Thames Valley
- Acted for Trafford Housing Trust Limited to deliver a £47m development consisting of a mixture of two, three and four-bedroom homes on Homes England’s D’Urton Lane site in Preston. Assisted Trafford Housing Trust at pre-contract stage, which involved drafting and negotiating the key construction contracts, including a pre-construction services agreement and building contract.
- Acting for Swan Housing Association (as a member of a joint venture vehicle – Porters Place Southend LLP) to deliver a 30-year £400m regeneration project in Southend (Queensway Regeneration Scheme – Better Queensway), which involves the development of 1,300 new homes, a commercial development and new highways infrastructure.
- Acting for Peabody Construction Limited in respect of the construction of its development at Battersea Power Station.
Farrer & Co has a 'diverse and dynamic team' who work with prestigious clients across a variety of sectors including charities, museums and heritage. The practice also assists banks and investors on construction financing matters. Head of team Edward Banyard Smith is well regarded as a 'highly reliable' and 'commercially minded' practitioner. He has acted on major projects and developments for schools and charities. Clive Lovatt is noted for his representation of cultural institutions and property developers, handling a range of non-contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are extremely professional; prompt and quick to react to events. They also able to offer alternative strategies which are bespoke to my needs.’
‘Farrer has a great international network enabling this law firm to handle complex international cases.’
‘Advice which is consistently of the highest level delivered by top-quality operators at all levels of the business.’
‘A truly wonderful, diverse and dynamic team. Approaching work with a great attitude and willingness.’
‘Edward Banyard Smith has an in-depth knowledge in this field of law which especially includes new techniques such as building information modelling.’
‘Edward Banyard Smith is always available and happy to provide his advice which we have, without fail, found to be highly reliable, on point and commercially minded.’
Highbridge Properties plc
Royal College of Surgeons
Artesian Property Partnership
Charities Property Fund
Coutts & Co
St George’s Weybridge
Duchy of Cornwall
Price & Myers LLP
Arbuthnot Latham & Co
Lloyds Banking Group
- Advising in relation to the British Library’s St Pancras development, reported as a £1bn project.
- Continue to act as the legal advisers to the Duchy of Cornwall’s Poundbury Development – the urban community at Dorchester.
- Advised St George’s Weybridge on the successful completion of its Activity Centre, a landmark building designed to improve sports activity at the school.
Forsters LLP acts for a broad range of clients across sectors including commercial, residential and leisure. Sarah Cook, who leads the team, has more than twenty years of experience of advising on non-contentious construction issues; she also acts on procurement and construction management matters.
Goodman Derrick LLP possesses 'a finely tuned practice, covering all aspects of the market.' It is led by Richard Bailey who is 'peerless in giving sound advice' to developers, major contractors and sub-contractors on matters such as the construction of sports stadiums, data centres and residential developments. Tom Pemberton is active in the procurement, design and delivery of building and infrastructure projects in the UK.
Other key lawyers:
‘Goodman Derrick has a finely tuned practice covering all aspects of the legal market and, to my mind, are outstanding in the construction non-contentious marketplace. They are easy to approach and always a pleasure to deal with and have the in-depth knowledge of the law and business practices needed to fully serve their clientele.’
‘Richard Bailey is an outstanding tactician and strategist and has the tact and diplomatic skills needed to provide outstanding service to their clients. He is a real pleasure to work with and is peerless in giving sound advice – his knowledge of the legal nuances in his practice areas is at the highest levels.’
Essex Services Group Limited
Modus Workspace Futures
West Country Renovations Limited
- Alfa Laval’s advisors in Sweden, advising on corporate risk management policies and procedures.
- Instructed to draft updated versions of the CECA Forms of Sub-Contract for use in conjunction with the standard ICC construction contract suite.
Irwin Mitchell's non-contentious practice is led by Gordon Anderson, who 'has a solution for all outcomes'. The practice acts on residential schemes, mixed-use developments and fit-out projects. Clients include law firms, property developers and private equity houses. Anderson's expertise lies in development work in London with a primary focus on co-working schemes.
‘The team is experienced and well-informed on current developments and case law – they give objective and measured advice consistent with my generally risk averse sensibilities.’
‘Gordon Anderson is a very specialist construction lawyer and has a solution for all outcomes. He not only understands the law but he also understands our business, which is useful when trying to find pragmatic solutions. Gordon always responds to emails quickly and even though he is our lawyer, he is regarded as our team member.’
‘I have worked with Gordon Anderson over recent years and find him very in tune with our preferred approach which is clear and concise. He has a logical and considered approach and is very adept at explaining any particular issue in a succinct and readily understandable manner.’
- Act for Caudwell Properties the developer of the last major development plots in Mayfair (Audley Square), which is being developed into residential apartments and townhouses.
- Advised PJT partners on the award of a contract to fit out 1 Curzon Street, the contractor’s claims and the restructuring of the contract once it became clear that the contractor was in financial difficulties to ensure that the project would be delivered on time and to avoid an insolvency scenario.
- Acted in relation to the award of a contract to fit-out Blackstone’s London headquarters in 40 Berkeley Square to Overbury plc.
Kennedys continues to advise contractors, consultants and architects on London-based projects. The firm has a record of work on mixed-use redevelopments, as well as residential, retail and commercial developments. Iain Corbett, who leads the team, has an expertise in international infrastructure projects. James Shaw has advised on the drafting and negotiation of construction related contracts in relation to work in the Middle East.
Other key lawyers:
‘The overall level of service we receive from Kennedys is excellent. They understand the commercial pressures we face and quickly narrow down issues to ‘must have’ and ‘nice if you can get it’, often suggesting compromises to pre-empt potential areas of disagreement to save us both time and money.’
‘The team is well versed in construction insurance matters.’
‘James Shaw has a considerable breadth of knowledge of contract law and as such can quickly isolate the key issues and also has an unrivalled (in my experience) ability to explain things in plain English, which even an architect can understand.’
Paul Hastings (Europe) LLP
Bam Construct UK
Protector Forsikring ASA
Willmott Partnership Homes Limited
Donald Insall Associates
Lewis Silkin LLP has broad sector expertise, advising clients across advertising, marketing, hotels and professional services. Real estate is a key area for the firm, with assistance given to clients on mixed use and residential development. Brian Kilcoyne leads the real estate group, while the 'fantastic' Clare Reddy heads up the construction group. She has acted for London boroughs, housing associations and notable developers, handling work covering hotel projects and residential projects.
‘Strong advice and great problem-solving capabilities, great negotiation skills along with great communication skills. Much better involvement, responses and quality of advice than I have received from other law firms.’
‘Great negotiation and reasoning skills, great risk awareness and mitigation as standard and very good people in general to deal with.’
‘Clare Reddy is a particular standout – she is fantastic to work with and to have on our team.’
Interpublic Group of Companies
Jackson Coles LLP
Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands
London Borough of Ealing
London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
Osborne Property Services Limited
- Advised Hammersmith & Fulham Council on securing the return of West Kensington and Gibbs Green estates via the termination of a Conditional Land Sale Agreement.
- Advised McCann-Erickson EMEA on the construction aspects of the acquisition of new leasehold interest in five floors of 135 Bishopsgate.
- Advised Bow Street Hotel Limited on the redevelopment of the Grade II Listed former Bow Street Magistrates Court and Police Station into a boutique hotel and police museum.
Mishcon de Reya LLP 's non-contentious construction offering is led by Simon Hunter, and advises a range of clients including developers, property owners and contractors in sectors including student accommodation and hotels. Hunter has a background as a quantity surveyor, providing him with greater insight into the field. Justine Ayto is 'technically very competent' and acts on developments and commercial real estate matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very client focused, with a pragmatic approach to close out issues. Very proactive, approachable and team focused, with a commercial approach.’
‘Justine Ayto is technically very competent and extremely responsive.’
‘Simon Hunter is an excellent representative of the practice. Very pragmatic and commercial advice and support.’
Delancey, Qatari Diar, APG and Oxford Properties
Capital & Counties Properties PLC (Capco)
Accor (Accor Hotels)
The Office Group
Echo Global Feeder Fund
- Instructed by Sky regarding advice on the construction documentation relating to the construction of a new 70,000 sq ft building.
- Advised property developer, Almacantar, on the construction aspects of its sale of 125 Shaftesbury Avenue, WC2H, London to Lumen International Developments for £267m.
- Continuing to advise on the development and construction aspects of the next phases of East Village (the former Olympic Village in Stratford) to deliver a further 2,000 private rented sector homes as well as retail and leisure facilities, public squares and open space across six plots.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP works with local authorities, property developers and contractors, and is praised for 'really taking the time to get to know their clients'. The team advises on mixed-use and private rented sector developments, student accommodation and hotels. 'Clear communicator' Richard Cooke has a background in civil engineering, while Francis Ho, who has 'first-rate knowledge of the industry' has expertise in a range of non-contentious matters covering construction, infrastructure and projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘They take a proactive and practical approach to problems and offer clear advice.’
‘The team really take the time to get to know their clients and so the service they provide is always very personal.’
‘Excellent knowledge and good, practical advice.’
‘Richard Cooke is clear communicator with a very sensible approach to structuring solutions. Good knowledge of industry sector and recommendations for further expert advice, as needed.’
‘Francis Ho has a first-rate knowledge of the industry. Engaged in the detail despite delegation to subordinates. Strives to find creative solutions that protect our commercial as well as legal interests.’
‘Richard Cooke offers excellent advice on property and development related matters and contracts.’
American Institute for Foreign Study Inc
Ares Management Limited
Asmodee Group Limited
Avtoun Street Developments Limited
Black Mountain Partners
Ennismore International / Hoxton Hotels
Gordon Murray Automotive
The Hurlingham Club
- Advising Hoxton Hotels on the development and delivery of four Hoxton hotels in London and on various extensions, improvements and modifications to the same plus advice on various international aspects of the group’s construction operations.
- Continue to advise Aytoun Street Developments Limited on the joint venture on the major Private Rented Scheme in central Manchester, involving a mixture of new build and the redevelopment of listed buildings.
- Negotiated an agreement for lease for the head office complex and storage space for Esdevium Limited. This has involved negotiations of a detailed conditional Agreement for Lease and Lease in a fledgling enterprise Zone and all related construction documentation.
Winckworth Sherwood LLP
Winckworth Sherwood LLP displays a 'depth of experience' in their transactional construction practice. Clients include real estate developers, housebuilders and infrastructure operators. Eleanor Kilminster co-leads the team with Colin Hall; she is noted for her 'great sector knowledge', working on developments in the UK and working closely with the firm's social housing and development practitioners. Hall stands out for his work in the energy sector while Alexandra Reid handles both public and private sector work, acting for charitable trusts and private developers.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have taken the time to really get know our business and have delivered consistency of contact through.’
‘Ellie Kilminster and Alexandra Reid are fantastic in challenging our assumptions and requests whilst not strangling entrepreneurial spirit. We always get a rapid response from the team and they are well informed in the industry and provide great sector knowledge.’
- Advised Redrow Homes Limited on its negotiation to sell and build two schemes with a combined GDV of £183.5m to Canadian real estate investment and management company Realstar.
- Acting on a 1,000 unit mixed use scheme for a joint venture established between Barratt and Hyde Vale known as Harrow View, Harrow.
- Advising L&Q on construction aspects of bid for appointment as the developer on the first phase of the Meridian Water redevelopment scheme being promoted by Enfield Council.