Healthcare in London
Bevan Brittan LLP is particularly well known for advising the NHS on a number of innovative income generation commercial activities and international ventures, strategic estates partnerships, and complex corporate, commercial and regulatory matters, among others. Key partners in the sizeable team include Vincent Buscemi and Carly Caton for commercial projects and transactional matters; Sharon Renouf for procurements; and Rosemary Jago for healthcare infrastructure PPPs and joint venture arrangements. Hannah Taylor is particularly recommended for serious medical treatment cases, deprivation of liberty matters and applications to the Court of Protection. Recent hire Monica Macheng adds complementary expertise in advising care homes, dental practices, pharmacies, GP surgeries and healthcare professionals.
Other key lawyers:
University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Barts Health NHS Trust
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Imperial College Hospital London
Royal Free London NHS FT
- Advising Community Health Partnerships (CHP) Limited on a new health centre in Dulwich procured by the client through the local LIFT partner, South London Health Partnerships, on behalf of Southwark CCG.
- Advising Barts Health NHS Trust on the disposal of four surplus sites in Whitechapel to the Department of Health and Social Care in order to start the development of a research campus next to the Royal London Hospital.
- Assisting University College London Hospital NHS Foundation Trust with a number of domestic and international commercial ventures, including a partnership with a hospital in the UAE for the provision of clinical services.
- Advised South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust in relation to the death of a patient who died after he was restrained by police in the hospital.
Browne Jacobson LLP has expanded its national healthcare practice with the recruitment of Christian Dingwall from Hempsons to the Manchester office. Across its multiple offices, the sizeable team counts an impressive list of NHS trusts and leading private healthcare providers among its clients, and has a 'solid reputation' for corporate and commercial matters, procurement, governance and public law issues, and clinical risk management. Simon Tait heads the national group and is supported Dingwall, Oliver Pritchard and Gerard Hanratty. Senior associate Charlotte Harpin has notable expertise in CCG constitution.
Salford CCG – for Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership
NHS Birmingham Cross City CCG; NHS Birmingham South Central CCG; NHS Solihull
Langham Park Homes Limited
- Advised Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on its £650m merger with Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Advising Salford CCG -for Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership on theme 3 of the overall major service reconfiguration and development of a new health and care system in Greater Manchester.
- Acted for NHS Birmingham Cross City CCG, NHS Birmingham South Central CCG and NHS Solihull on the largest CCG merger in the country, which created a commissioner holding approximately £2bn of the NHS budget.
- Representing University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust in the ongoing high-profile inquest and clinical negligence claim into the death of a patient from an undiagnosed sub-arachnoid haemorrhage.
DAC Beachcroft LLP's healthcare practice continues to make its mark in the healthcare space, acting on high-value transactions and developments such as advising Ealing CCG on the largest integrated care contract procured in London and working on the London Digital Programme, a project to facilitate information sharing at scale across the city. Hamza Drabu's practice spans advising public and private healthcare providers on joint ventures with the NHS, new models of care projects, governance and regulatory issues, GP federations, NHS M&A and outsourcing, among others. Public law partner Alistair Robertson is 'simply brilliant' for highly complex judicial review cases and regulatory matters. Regulatory expert Belinda Dix also acts in complex inquests and regularly advises organisations in respect of their relationship with the CQC. Anne Crofts chairs the national practice.
Guys & St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust
University College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Ealing CCG
- Advising NHS England on all commercial, procurement and competition law issues relating to the national strategic procurement of PET CT services in England, an integral tool for cancer investigation as well as many other conditions.
- Advised NHS Ealing Clinical Commissioning Group on all aspects of its procurement to appoint a single out of hospital services provider.
- Working with Babylon Healthcare Services on a ground-breaking deal which will enable it, when approved, to deliver digital first services to NHS patients.
Hill Dickinson LLP continued to expand its healthcare capabilities with two lateral hires from Hempsons: Jamie Foster, who has 'breadth of industry experience' advising NHS organisations, private providers, and health and life sciences start-ups on commercial and public law matters, and James Lawford Davies, a 'top specialist' in healthtech and life sciences, specifically in reproductive and genetic technologies and cell and gene therapies. Key areas of expertise include commercial and procurement, commissioning, regulatory, governance, inquests and Court of Protection work. Kiran Bhogal and Emma Galland co-head the London healthcare group. Other recommended partners include Joanna Trewin in Manchester, Robert McGough in Leeds and Sharon Thomas in Liverpool.
‘Widely respected in the market for public law, especially representing trusts in judicial review challenges‘
‘Exceptionally personable team that make you feel as though you are their most important client. They are extremely perceptive to your needs and although they have access to a wide range of expertise, they also have the confidence to advise you when they do not. Their ability to provide succinct, practical and cost-effective solutions to our problems is highly appreciated.’
‘Kiran Bhogal and Emma Galland both have a wealth of experience in inquests and other public law matters.’
‘Kiran Bhogal is highly responsive to our needs, quick to manage our expectations, and goes beyond and above what is expected to ensure that we are completely satisfied.’
‘Emma Galland is dynamic and provides impressive representation and solutions, often at short notice.’
‘Robert McGough consistently delivers cost-effective expert assistance and guides you through every step of complexity, inspiring confidence.’
‘Jamie Foster is approachable and skillfully translates complex situations into practical solutions.’
Royal Free London Hospitals NHS FT
Kings College Hospital NHS FT
Oxford University Hospitals NHS FT
Royal Marsden Hospital NHS FT
Surrey Downs Clinical Commissioning Group
- Acting for Richmond Psychosocial Foundation International, a charity which provides therapeutic care for adults with mental health problems in a residential setting, in relation to the inquest concerning the suicide of a young patient with complex needs whilst residing in a care home.
- Advising NHS Bradford District and Craven Clinical Commissioning Groups in relation to the development of a new model for collaboration between the council and the CCG as commissioners and the main providers of NHS and social care services in Bradford District and Craven.
- Represented Alder Hey NHS Foundation Trust in a number of high-profile cases before the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights in connection with the trust’s decision to end treatment for a child with neurodegenerative brain disorder.
Mills & Reeve LLP's healthcare expertise spans acute care, mental health, commissioning and service reform, social care and primary care providers and life sciences. Key recent mandates include advising the Department of Health and Social Care on the design, procurement and implementation of the Future Operating Model project - a system governing over £5bn annual NHS spend - and supporting a US hospital group on the planned opening of a new London site. Jill Mason leads the group and is supported by public law specialist Dawn Brathwaite, while Rhian Vandrill focuses on NHS reforms and commercial relationships between NHS and the private sector. Natalie Wade and Peter Wainman are also of note for M&A transactions and technology contracts.
‘Mills & Reeve is a full capacity firm giving superb legal advice in all healthcare departments.’
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Manchester University Foundation Trust
- Advising the Department of Health and the NHS Business Services Authority on the IT procurements forming part of its Future Operating Model project.
- Advising a US healthcare insurer on entry into the UK market and on its bid to acquire NHS contracts, such as NHS England’s National Diabetes Prevention Programme.
- Advised on Bupa Dental’s purchase of Avsan, a group of 16 dental practices across England and Scotland.
Addleshaw Goddard acts for an impressive list of NHS trusts and private healthcare providers, and has 'tremendous expertise and real depth of knowledge' in healthcare infrastructure. Matthew Newing has a 'strong reputation' acting for sponsors, investors, developers and lenders on major PFI/PPP projects, as does David Hartley. Also of note are Manchester-based partners Michael O’Connor, who also leads the national practice, and Andrew Pettinger for corporate transactions.
‘The team at Addleshaw Goddard are market leaders in my view, offering excellent legal advice which is also practical and appreciates the commercial context.’
Bupa Care Homes Mercia Healthcare
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough (NHS) Foundation Trust
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen NHS University Hospital Trust
- Acting for STEP as development partner for a pathfinder project for the Department of Health leading to the development of two new hospitals at sites in Tooting and Kingston.
- Advised Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale (Nord), as the senior funder, in relation to the £40m Primary and Community Care Centre Project in County Antrim.
- Advising Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Mid-Essex NHS Trust and Basildon and Thurrock Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, in conjunction with KMPG, on the proposed complex three-way merger of the trusts to reconfigure services across Essex.
Bindmans LLP is the 'pre-eminent practice' for highly complex challenges to medical treatment, inquests, judicial reviews and on matters concerning Articles 2 and 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights. Saimo Chahal QC (Hon), an 'extremely tenacious and knowledgeable' healthcare advocate, is best known for her 'unmatched reputation' in challenging healthcare provisions on behalf of claimants and family members of the deceased and judicial review work in the highest courts. Jamie Potter, Charlotte Haworth Hird and Basmah Sahib are the other key advisers.
Saimo Chahal QC (Hon)
Other key lawyers:
‘Bindmans is a very impressive firm which takes a sensible view of prospects and fully supports clients through challenging litigation.’
‘Bindmans are a fantastic practice, with an excellent caseload, and are exceptional in accessing funding for complex cases and really support the barristers with whom they work. ‘
‘Basmah Sahib is extremely well informed and completely in control of her cases, her instructions could not be improved and make a real difference to the preparation of the case. A really impressive solicitor.’
- Acting for family members in an inquest into the death of a convict who died imprisoned at HMP Belmarsh.
- Brought a highly publicised medical treatment challenge on behalf of a young patient who became the first person to receive receive medicinal cannabis by means of a licence issued by the Home Office.
- Represented a young patient who has Down’s syndrome in a judicial review claim to challenge the police’s failure to properly comply with equality duties and to pursue an effective prosecution following the patient’s allegations of sexual assault whilst in respite care.
Bird & Bird LLP is particularly known for its strong offering in international healthcare projects; e-health and data protection; innovative public/private sector partnerships; and M&A and investment in the healthcare sector. Simon Shooter advises healthcare providers and their suppliers on operations in emerging markets in the Middle East. David Ayers is experienced with running major commercial projects, acting for both public and private sector organisations, such as advising Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust on its contract with the UK Ministry of Defence for the provision of healthcare to British forces in Germany. Stuart Cairns focuses on public procurement work. Associate Ben Woodfield is also recommended.
- Advised Albion Capital’s portfolio company, Proveca, on a £4m fund raising to finance the commercial launch of Sialanar, a treatment for chronic pathological drooling in children, and the development and commercialisation of its paediatric product portfolio.
- Advised Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Trust, supporting a consultant team with the establishment of a department in an existing Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Abu Dhabi.
Blake Morgan LLP has notable expertise advising a mix of public sector clients, private healthcare providers and medical technology companies on financing models and specialised commissioning. Key examples in this area include advising NHS England on PPRS arrangements, commercial access agreements and managed access agreements for new and innovative drugs, as well as assisting Irish healthcare provider Charter Medical with developing an arrangement in which Irish patients are referred to the UK for routine procedures. Bruce Potter spearheads the practice and specialises in public and drug procurement, with a niche specialisation in innovative high-cost treatments. Richard Jones specialises in mental health law and Alison Patten-Hall focuses on advising independent providers on all aspects of commercial trading. Stephen Tainsh departed to Capsticks LLP in July 2018.
University College London NHS Foundation Trust
Medical Imaging Partnerships Limited
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
- Successfully defended NHS England in a complex and highly publicised procurement claim brought by AbbVie Limited relating to Hepatitis C.
- Assisting Oxford Academic Health Science Network with the development and commercialisation of an online platform, eMAPs, a market access online information tool for partners.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP's healthcare team is made up of 'highly accomplished lawyers with strong expertise' across a broad range of healthcare-related matters, notably in corporate and real estate transactional and financing work, and private equity investments in and buyouts of healthcare service providers, with key expertise in care homes, primary care and pharmacy law. Noel Wardle is the key figure for healthcare and pharmacy regulatory advice, while Tim Jenkins supports public sector and family-owned dental, veterinary and pharmacy businesses in corporate and commercial transactions. Michael Lingens is likewise recommended for financial transactions in the healthcare and care home space. David Reissner retired in May 2018.
‘Charles Russell Speechlys provides a comprehensive service within the pharmacy sector, supported by regulatory, employment and property teams, offering a one-stop shop for legal advice.’
‘The team has a unique position as the specialist regulatory firm advising pharmacists. This gives it an insight into policy issues and developments that allows it to stay ahead of the game.‘
‘Tim Jenkins has a through understanding of the pharmacy sector, advising a wide range of clients from independent contractors to large multiple operators.’
‘Noel Wardle is one of the leading advisers in relation to pharmacy regulation‘.
CareTech Holdings plc
Country Court Care
Juno Health Ltd
Dentex Healthcare Group Ltd
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
Goddard Veterinary Group
- Advised the shareholders of TLC Care Homes Limited on the sale of the entire issued share capital of TLC to Civitas SPV131 Limited, a subsidiary of Civitas Social Housing PLC.
- Advised AOAM Pharma Limited on its acquisition of Prince Pharmacy Limited, which operates four pharmacy branches within the Knightsbridge and Kensington area.
- Acted on behalf of the National Pharmacy Association in its intervention in the Supreme Court hearing in patent proceedings between Warner Lambert (Pfizer) and Generics (UK) and Actavis Group concerning Pfizer’s patent rights in relation to its drug Lyrica.
- Advised Country Court Care, a nursing care home operator, on a re-financing with alternative investment manager Cheyne Capital, including an additional £51m development facility to fund seven new-build assets nationwide.
Clyde & Co LLP has a strong track record in clinical negligence litigation, primarily representing NHS trusts and healthcare professionals in complex inquests and regulatory proceedings. The firm also advises on real estate, joint ventures and commercial transactions. National practice head Claire Petts is 'a well-known figure' for claims against medical professionals, and representation of clinicians before their regulatory bodies and in complex inquests. Gemma Brannigan is likewise 'a safe pair of hands with remarkable experience' in serious medical negligence claims and inquests. Senior associate Jacques Howell is also very active in inquests and inquiries.
‘Clyde and Co are a friendly, approachable team with a wealth of knowledge about the NHS and healthcare law.’
‘The inquest team are responsive, knowledgeable and supportive, and open to challenge.’
‘Gemma Brannigan is a brilliant lawyer – she’s extremely knowledgeable when it comes to healthcare work and particularly inquests, where she always has the answer at her fingertips.’
‘Jacques Howell is a delight to work with – very organised, client orientated and has a wealth of inquest advocacy experience.’
NHS Shared Business Services
Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Epsom & St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Advising Apollo Citrus LP on the disposal of 14 healthcare homes by way of a corporate sale to Loanstar for £53m.
- Acting for Grainger Plc on its joint venture with Lewisham Council, including the creation of an equal partnership company, Lewisham Grainger Holdings LLP.
CMS' multi-disciplinary practice is spread across multiple offices and offers 'strong expertise' in high-value M&A transactional advice, international inward investment and NHS capital procurement, PFIs and PPP and other healthcare outsourcings. Other key areas of expertise include healthtech and regulatory matters, mental health, social care and contentious work. Department head Warren Taylor regularly acts for healthcare investors on high-value acquisitions and corporate finance matters. Candice Blackwood specialises in investment and development transactions, while Paul Smith advises sponsors and lenders on PFI/PPP transactions.
‘CMS has great attention to detail, provides sound advice, and has a personable team who understand the clients’ needs and, more importantly, delivering on them‘
‘CMS are highly recommended for providing top-level consistency, and maintaining a very deep understanding of the sectors in which they operate.’
‘Warren Taylor is a standout partner who has a solid understanding of the healthcare space‘
General Optical Council
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust
- Advised Cindat Capital Management on the £350m acquisition of a 51% stake in HCP UK Investments Jersey Limited and HCP UK Investments Holdings Limited.
- Acted for the shareholders of the Danshell Healthcare Group on the sale of the learning disabilities and mental health hospital group to Cygnet Health Care Group.
- Advising the General Optical Council in ongoing investigations relating to negligence by providers of optical services.
- Advising NHS National Services Scotland on the Scottish Wide Area Network (SWAN).
With a particularly strong healthcare regulatory practice, Fieldfisher continues to be highly sought after by start-ups, private sector healthcare providers and professional regulators such as the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care. The firm combines multi-disciplinary expertise to assist with commercial transactions, particularly in the care home sector, as well as advising on serious incidents and inquests. Alison Dennis advises on regulatory issues arising in the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device industries. Public and regulatory law specialist Sarah Ellson heads the practice from the Manchester office.
Other key lawyers:
Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
Roche Products Limited
Nursing & Midwifery Council
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
Millbrook Healthcare Limited
- Represented Roche in a judicial review relating to the use of an unlicensed product for blindness.
- Assisting the Nursing & Midwifery Council on a range of matters, including on the introduction of the new profession of nursing associates, a review of its overseas registration process, revalidation, litigation, support during a special review and an audit of its fitness to practise investigations.
Gowling WLG continues to be active in a wide range of significant healthcare developments and transactions, such as advising Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust on its ground-breaking public-private partnership to become an international orthopaedic centre of excellence. Other areas include GP super-partnerships, care home transactions, regulatory matters and digital health. The firm has added complementary expertise in complex public sector transactions, procurement and service reconfigurations with the hire of Alison Richards from Capsticks LLP. Key figures include department head Robert Breedon, who is noted for his work in commercial healthcare projects, joint ventures and outsourcing contracts. Hugh Maule and Andrew Litchfield are also recommended for corporate and private equity and regulatory matters, respectively.
Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Mansfield and Ashfield CCG and NHS Newark and Sherwood CCG
Birmingham Women’s and Children’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Synlab Group (includes Labco UK, Integrated Pathology Partnerships and Synlab)
- Advising Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust on a significant project involving the design and build of a new multimillion-pound theatre facility, to be in place by the end of 2020, and the delivery of a 15-year bespoke managed service at GST’s existing orthopaedic theatres, a new modular theatre and the Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence.
- Advised Lakeside Healthcare on its series of mergers to create one of the largest GP partnerships in England at over 90 partners.
- Advised Central Surrey Health Limited in relation to a challenge against NHS Surrey Downs CCG arising from a procurement for adult community services in Surrey.
- Assisted Montreux Healthcare Fund on the bolt-on acquisition of John-Edwards Care Homes by the Active Assistance Group.
Hempsons fields 'one of the best specialist teams with impressive knowledge in the field of healthcare'. The practice advises on the full spectrum of issues affecting the healthcare sectors, such as corporate and commercial work, social care, regulatory issues, contentious matters and clinical negligence. John Holmes largely focuses on mental health, inquests and related clinical claims, while regulatory partner Nadya Wolferstan is 'excellent, bright and remains calm under pressure'. Ian Hempseed advises on corporate and governance issues and also acts for prominent health charities and social enterprises. Tania Francis and Miriam Farley are also of note. Christian Dingwall left for Browne Jacobson LLP, and Jamie Foster and James Lawford Davis for Hill Dickinson LLP. Justin Cumberlege joined in April 2019 from Cripps Pemberton Greenish.
‘The firm traditionally has a very strong profile in healthcare.’
‘Ian Hempseed is exceptionally knowledgeable in his field and combines this with accessible advice‘
‘Excellent team with efficient, knowledgeable and very responsive lawyers‘.
‘Hempsons have extensive experience of representing hospital trusts, NHS England, and practitioners in healthcare cases. They are rightly recognised nationwide for their expertise in this area and provide expert advice with excellent continuity of cost-effective representation to hospitals , insurers and individual doctors alike.’
‘Nadya Wolferstan Is excellent – easy to work with, bright and calm under pressure.’
Medical Defence Union
- Advised East London NHS Foundation Trust in an inquest involving a deceased woman who resided at a private provider commissioned by the NHS and was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, complex personality disorder and other serious issues, who was refused assessment under the Mental Health Act and died several weeks later after being hit by a lorry whilst intoxicated.
- Advised the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists on various governance matters.
- Advised Jersey Primary Care Body on its lobbying tactics for the introduction of a statutory discount rate.
Pinsent Masons LLP's national healthcare practice is best known for its strong expertise in corporate healthcare, notably in international commercial activities and joint ventures involving partnerships between private sector clients and international health providers, and dental M&A and refinancing. The practice also regularly advises private equity houses, banks, corporates and management teams in respect of financing, corporate governance and regulatory matters. Joanne Ellis and Kate Orviss lead the healthcare and global healthcare projects teams, respectively.
Joanne Ellis; Kate Orviss
‘Kate Orviss at Pinsent Masons is very impressive, not just for the advice she provides but for her knowledge of the industry and her passion for driving forward UK healthcare.’
Indo UK Healthcare Private Limited
Galliford Try Investments
Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust
Care Management Group
- Continuing to support Indo UK Healthcare Private and UK Global Healthcare on the implementation of the Indo UK Institute of Health Programme, an initiative supported by the British and Indian governments aiming to build 11 hospitals and polyclinics across India with the intention of bringing NHS standard healthcare to India.
- Advising International Planned Parenthood Federation on the DFID WISH Project, implementing the Department for International Development’s Women’s Integrated Sexual Health Programme across 23 countries in Africa and South Asia.
- Advising August Equity on the launch of its new medically focused and consultant-led dermatology group.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP continues to be at the forefront of the health and housing arena, regularly working alongside private healthcare and social care providers and NHS trusts to develop residential units. The firm is also active in in private company M&A, joint ventures and investments in the health and social care sectors. Tim Nye and Kyle Holling co-head the practice, focusing on real estate and corporate matters, respectively. Hilary Blackwell is a 'well-known figure' in the public healthcare property sector. Alison Chivers is of note for healthcare transactions.
Tim Nye; Kyle Holling
Other key lawyers:
‘Trowers & Hamlins are unique among law firms as having focused early on the growing demand in the housing-with-care space. The firm has been leading the way in assisting the sector, and developing new legal insights into the issues at hand.’
‘Trowers & Hamlins provide standout sector insight and reliable resources whilst offering exceptional value for money.’
‘Kyle Holling has outstanding knowledge of both the sector and property transactions. He and his team are responsive and effective in delivering timely advice.’
‘Hilary Blackwell is the pre-eminent lawyer for major healthcare developments and infrastructure‘
Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust
Rangeford Retirement Living
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
C&C Alpha Healthcare Group
- Acting on behalf on the London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust and the London Borough of Brent on the Northwick Park redevelopment project, in the development of circa 3, 000 new housing units on land owned by a range of public sector stakeholders.
- Ongoing advice in relation to St Pancras Hospital Development, a PPP-led re-development of the St Pancras Hospital site to create a mental health centre, including the Institute of Mental Health to be run by University College London.
- Advising the ZCap and Castle Gate Projects on the development and funding of GP scheme in Salford.
- Supporting West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust in connection with the planned redevelopment of three hospital sites in conjunction with BDO.
Burges Salmon LLP's full-service healthcare practice largely assists private healthcare clients with major corporate and procurement projects with the NHS and public sector bodies, commercial contracts, high-value acquisitions and financing transactions. The practice also has a significant expertise in NHS public procurement regulatory and contentious matters, where the team regularly advises independent providers and pharmaceutical businesses on contracting with the NHS. Patrick Parkin is the lead adviser in relation to contract and procurement law matters. Commercial lawyer Helen Scott-Lawler is also of note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Burges Salmon’s healthcare practice has strong technical skills, good industry knowledge, and is well organised and resourced‘
Optegra Eye Healthcare
University of Oxford
NHS South, Central and West CSU
- Advising Oxford University on the development of the UK’s first Vaccine Manufacturing and Innovation Centre.
- Continuing to advise Virgin Care Private, a new venture by Virgin Care to provide medical and wellbeing services to self-pay clients.
- Advised STERIS, a US-based company focused on providing infection prevention and other specialist outsourced services, on a range of matters, including negotiating a long-term agreement with an NHS trust in Kent for the provision of instrument sterilisation services; an agreement for similar services with the renowned NHS Moorfields Eye Hospital; and supply terms with an NHS trust in Bradford.
- Advised Birmingham Children’s Trust on the council’s major children’s services transition project. The project involved externalising the council’s embedded children’s services and outsourcing to the newly formed Birmingham Children’s Trust, a corporate vehicle wholly owned by the council.
Capsticks LLP's cross-disciplinary practice is particularly active in inquests, representing NHS bodies in judicial review cases and advising on matters of public law. The team also has strong expertise in non-contentious and contentious healthcare employment. The national practice is led by Andrew Rowland, who is supported by Peter Edwards for public law and governance matters; Francis Lyons advises NHS bodies and local authorities on contentious commissioning and treatment decisions. Corporate and commercial partner Stephen Tainsh joined from Blake Morgan LLP in July 2018 as head of the medical technology group.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very good knowledge of the health sector and the legal aspects affecting it.‘
‘Peter Edwards has provided sound advice in relation to public law matters‘
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Barts Health NHS Trust
Central London Community Healthcare
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
- Acted for Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust as the commissioner of a £130m managed pathology equipment procurement, which was challenged by the second-placed bidder on the basis of scoring errors and breaches of the procurement rules.
- Advising NHS West London CCG and the NHS CWHHE collaborative (Central London, West London, Hammersmith & Fulham, Hounslow and Ealing CCGs) in relation to their responses in the aftermath of the Grenfell Fire.
- Representing Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust as the defendant in a judicial review claim relating to the restructuring of clinical services brought by two nominal claimants.
Irwin Mitchell is 'a well respected practice' known for acting on behalf of claimants against NHS trusts, CCGs and other health and social care providers, as well as for developing the jurisprudence in 'right to life' matters, challenging the law on assisted dying and taking on complex national human rights cases relating to healthcare. Public law expert Yogi Amin has broad-ranging expertise in the fields of medical ethics, access to NHS healthcare, medical care and social care, and mental capacity, among others. Senior associates Mathieu Culverhouse and Anne-Marie Irwin frequently support Amin in judicial review cases.
North Staffordshire Pensioners’ Convention and individual patients
Hightown Parish Council
- Continuing to represent Mr Conway, who has been supported by Dignity in Dying, in the widely publicised “right to die” judicial review against the Secretary of State for Justice, arguing that section 2 of the Suicide Act is incompatible with his right to a private life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Acted for two hospital users in a judicial review of the decision to reconfigure hospital services across two hospitals in the Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust leading to the loss of acute services and A&E provision at one of the hospitals.
- Represented claimants in a judicial review of the decision to reconfigure hospital services at South Tyneside Hospital.
Kennedys boasts an impressive client roster consisting of large NHS and mental health trusts and private healthcare providers. The firm is best known for its strong offering in the mental health field, advising on complex matters raised by the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act, inquests and Court of Protection matters. Department head and mental health specialist Robert Tobin regularly acts on behalf of NHS trusts in high-profile inquests, and is assisted by associate Daniel Freeman, who advises on emergency declarations, inquests, and the training of doctors and psychiatrists on all aspects of mental health.
Other key lawyers:
‘Outstanding team. Exceptional in terms of responsiveness, expertise and efficiency.’
‘Kennedys has vast wealth of talent and experience which allows it a key role in the healthcare litigation sector.’
‘Daniel Freeman is a fabulous instructing solicitor. Efficient and incisive with great instinct in this field as to what the underlying healthcare provider requires from its legal team, whether that be the NHS or a private healthcare provider.‘
Health and Social Care Advisory Service (HASCAS)
Barts Health NHS Trust
North East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Advised Health and Social Care Advisory Service, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board and the Welsh government on the independent inquiry into alleged institutional abuse at Tawel Fan Ward, Wales.
- Represented an NHS trust before the Court of Protection in a case to decide the treatment of a non-capacitous patient in his best interests.
- Represented the East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust in a Court of Protection matter that could develop the law concerning the right to consult relatives under the Mental Capacity Act.
- Provided emergency advice to Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in a complex case concerning the end of life care of a young pregnant woman, who had suffered a stroke and, over a weekend, became brain stem dead. The issue related to the status and future of the unborn (living) child who remained in utero.
McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP's healthcare practice predominately advises private healthcare providers and leading medical manufacturers and suppliers on M&A, joint ventures, private equity deals, financing mandates, corporate and regulatory matters, and entry into international healthcare markets. Hamid Yunis chairs the London office and has been instrumental in growing the healthcare practice; he is particularly well known for his work in public-private partnerships and major global healthcare transactions. Sharon Lamb has a wealth of expertise in regulatory matters, hospital developments, and contractual and joint venture arrangements. Associate David Gibson is also recommended for commercial healthcare.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sharon Lamb is the go-to person on healthcare in the UK.’
‘McDermott has a good team of lawyers with excellent wide-ranging healthcare knowledge’
‘Hamid Yunis is extremely experienced in international health deals. ‘
‘Sharon Lamb is one of the most senior and experienced health care partners, with NHS, government and private sector experience’.
Varian Medical Systems
- Providing ongoing advice to Varex, a leading global supplier of X-ray tubes and image processing, in relation to the set-up of a European and Asian joint venture and representative arrangements.
- Advising Babylon Healthcare on a joint venture arrangement in connection with the delivery of digital healthcare equipment and services in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in partnership with a Saudi quasi-public body.
- Advised BlueGem Capital Partners LLP in connection with the bolt-on acquisition of The Cosmetic Skin Clinic for BlueGem’s portfolio group, The Private Clinic.
As 'one of the most recognisable names in the healthcare market' RadcliffesLeBrasseur LLP specialises in advising on CQC regulation and enforcement issues, mental health, and care homes, as well as advising healthcare professionals. Practice head Andrew Parsons acts for a large number of private sector healthcare providers and regularly advises on regulatory matters involving CQC and the police.
‘The healthcare department provide high-quality, knowledgeable advice’
‘Andrew Parsons is a standout leader in this field – he knows more about the healthcare sector than anyone, and is a problem solver with a wonderful manner with clients that instills confidence‘
Weightmans LLP provides 'crucial support' to public bodies spread across local government, healthcare and the emergency services, and has been active oin a high number of complex and highly publicised judicial review cases and public inquiries. As an example, the practice is currently acting on behalf of NHS Blood and Transplant in public inquiry to examine why thousands of patients were given infected blood and infected blood products in the 1970s and 1980s. Richard Jolly, Emlyn Williams and Rachel Kneale jointly lead the national group.
Richard Jolly; Emlyn Williams; Rachel Kneale
North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust
NHS Blood & Transplant
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
Sheffield Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
- Acted on behalf of the respondent, NHS Blood and Transplant, in judicial review proceedings brought by the claimant as to the lawfulness of the Directions 2005, which provide for the prioritisation of organs for transplantation. Successfully defended the claimants’ argument that the Directions are ultra vires as there is no enabling power in the primary legislation. The matter is to come before the Court of Appeal.
- Acted for the University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Trust in an inquest into the death of an young man who died from subacute bacterial endocarditis, which was caused by a dental extraction six months prior to his death, the condition remaining undiagnosed and untreated in life.
- Successfully defended South Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Partnership NHS Trust in a case brought by a mental health patient alleging that he was falsely imprisoned and deprived of his liberty when he was detained under section 3 of the Mental Health Act 1983.
Osborne Clarke LLP
Osborne Clarke LLP focuses on healthcare PPP/PFI and social care accommodation development projects where it is regularly instructed to advise private healthcare providers and third-sector clients on NHS tenders and contracts, procurement and outsourcing. Janita Good heads the healthcare and life sciences group from London and is assisted by regulatory expert Catherine Wolfenden and Simon Hancock, an outsourcing procurements specialist, both based in Bristol.
‘Osborne Clarke is a first-rate team – all of them fully understand the nuances of the healthcare market. Response rates to queries are fast and advice is always carefully considered.’
‘Catherine Wolfenden is a recognised industry expert‘
GAMA Healthcare Limited
Universal Health Services Inc
Imtech Low Carbon Solutions Limited
- Assisting GAMA Healthcare on numerous NHS tenders, including successfully challenging award decisions, as well as acting on tenders in certain EU markets.
- Advised EE Limited on the £1.2bn Home Office Emergency Services Network project to provide a next generation communication system for the ambulance and other emergency services.
- Advised Imtech Low Carbon Solutions on three energy services agreements with Sheffield Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.
- Continued to support Grifols in responding to major NHS procurements for blood testing technology.
Shoosmiths LLP largely acts for private companies; private equity funds operating in the healthcare sector, such as care home providers; private cosmetic surgeries; pharmacy groups; and medical device manufacturers. The full-service practice advises on corporate matters and M&A transactions, as well as on the acquisition, development and disposal of significant healthcare real estate assets. Birmingham-based Paul Batchelor is an expert in M&A transactions and private equity investments, while Hayley Saunders represents clients in inquests.
‘Paul Batchelor and his team have a very good grasp of the healthcare sector’
Carewatch Care Services Limited
miRNA BioTech Limited
- Advising Carebase on a series of acquisitions of sites for care homes in the south east of England.
- Advising miRNA Biotech on M&A, fundraising and IP matters in connection with the development of a revolutionary diagnostic test for concussion.
- Advised Cinnamon Group on the acquisition for development of several sites for luxury care home and retirement schemes.
Simmons & Simmons predominantly focuses on advising private healthcare providers and investors on mid-market private M&A, joint ventures and private equity transactions. The team also has a strong offering in digital health, particularly in relation to complex IT infrastructure arrangements, market access, product liability, cross-departmental collaborations and investments. Charles Mayo specialises in public/private partnerships.
Stephenson Harwood has a strong offering in healthcare M&A. Led by corporate partner Karima Hudson and supported by corporate finance specialist Andrew Edge, the team has seen a steady increase in healthcare acquisitions and instructions acting for funds and private equity investors.
Formation Capital LLC
Salutem Healthcare Limited
Glenside Care Group
Circle Health Limited
- Advised Nexus Tradeco Limited, in its role as property manager of Primary Health Properties, on the merger of PHP and Medicx – creating Britain’s largest healthcare real estate investment trust.
- Advised UAE-based private healthcare provider NMC Health Plc on its acquisition of Aspen Healthcare, a UK-based healthcare company.
- Advised Salutem on its acquisition of care home and specialist school business and assets from SCOPE, to three education facilities, 38 care homes and ten day services located across England and Wales.
- Advised Piramal Enterprises Limited on the sale of Piramal Imaging SA to UK-based medical imaging services provider Alliance Medical Group, part of the Life Healthcare Group
- Advised Semperian PPP Investment Partners Group Limited (Semperian) on its acquisition of a 50% stake in the Fife Hospital private finance initiative project.
Travers Smith LLP's healthcare clients include investors and start-up companies in the healthcare, pharmaceutical and medical devices sectors. The firm specialises in healthcare M&A and also offers complementary expertise in regulatory matters, employment, tax and contentious work. Doug Bryden, Simon Rutman and Edmund Reed are the key partners for regulatory, real estate and private equity, respectively.
Greatbatch Medical (part of Integer Holdings Corporation)
Impact Healthcare REIT
Peel Hunt LLP
- Advised on the sale of specialist neuro-disability care provider The Badby Group to Elysium Healthcare, the specialist mental healthcare provider backed by BC Partners.
- Advising VLS, a leading international life sciences venture capital firm, as fund manager of the Dementia Discovery Fund.
- Advised Hartwood Care, investee companies of Cinnamon Care Capital, on an £18m term facility made available by National Westminster Bank plc to refinance its existing facilities.
- Advised Hikma Pharmaceuticals on major manufacturing agreements with producers in Austria, France, China and Taiwan.
VWV's healthcare practice focuses on acting for healthcare professionals and primary care services, with GP surgeries being a key specialty of the firm. Practice head Ben Willis specialises in healthcare development work and funding, while Oliver Pool is noted for his work for GP partnerships and mergers, and has pioneered the decentralised superpartnership model. Mark Jarvis is another key member of the team in London.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mark Jarvis is very happy to spend time understanding the details of the problems clients are facing.’
- Instructed by a GP practice in relation to the incorporation of its primary care business.
- Advised newly formed limited company College of Dentistry on the purchase of the business of BPP’s dental institute.
- Instructed by a GP practice in relation to challenging action taken against it by the Care Quality Commission.
- Instructed by several GP practices to advise them on models for collaborative working.
- Advised 22-practice GP federation Swale Community Healthcare on its set-up, as well as changes to the structure of the organisation.