Allen & Overy LLP fields an impressive energy and natural resources team with 'fantastic M&A expertise' and 'breadth of capabilities' throughout the entire life cycle of an asset, and particular depth in upstream and midstream oil and gas matters. Global managing partner Gareth Price is the go-to adviser for all energy sector participants on structured finance and corporate transactions. Other key partners include Andrew Castle, John Geraghty and Troy Edwards. Lorraine Bayliss has a notable reputation in international project finance and secured lending transactions, acting for both borrowers and lenders.
Oil and gas in London
‘Fantastic M&A expertise. Creative thinkers. Engaged partners. Breadth of capabilities to draw from across the firm is exceptional’
‘Andrew Castle – excellent team leader with broad experience.’
Macquarie Capital/MIRA/Green Investment Group
Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG
TAPI Pipeline Company Limited
Aberdeen European Infrastructure GP II
United Nations – The Office of the Quartet
- Advised the ECAs (CESCE, K-Exim, K-Sure, SACE, UKEF) and banks on the $4.2bn financing of the expansion and modernisation of the Bapco, Bahrain refinery to a 380,000 bpd facility.
- Advising Borealis as an international partner in a joint venture (with United Chemical Company) in developing a new-build polyethylene petrochemical refinery complex located in the Atyrau region of Kazakhstan.
- Advised TAPI Pipeline Company in respect of the development, financing and construction of a gas pipeline project from Turkmenistan to Pakistan, Afghanistan and India.
Ashurst's top-tier full-service oil and gas practice advises clients throughout the entire supply chain, including handling upstream and midstream, LNG, pipeline, refining and petrochemical mandates. Clients value its ‘depth of knowledge at all levels‘ and regularly instruct the team on M&A, project and corporate financings, project developments and dispute resolution. Team head Michael Burns and Julia Derrick ‘both demonstrate a high level of legal expertise‘. Elsewhere, Huw Thomas specialises in structured financing transactions, while Yann Alix leads the group’s energy resource offering in Africa. Senior associate Quentin Robinson is experienced in commercial transactions, project developments and the contentious aspects of operational oil and gas matters. The group has strengthened its global projects bench strength with the recruitment of Adrian Lawrence from White & Case LLP, Simon Moore from Simmons & Simmons and Matthew Wood’s relocation from the firm's Abu Dhabi office.
Other key lawyers:
‘Depth of upstream oil and gas knowledge amongst the team at all levels. This means that the client can be confident that the legal workload for significant transactions can be handled expertly when it is needed. The generally down to earth, personable, mildly understated demeanour of Ashurst staff makes for a productive environment for dealing with the sometimes challenging dynamics of transactions.’
‘Really good mix of general corporate/M&A experience and specific sector knowledge in terms of upstream oil and gas. Team had good awareness of the needs of in-house counsel and advice was on point and focused in usable format.’
‘Julia Derrick and Michael Burns both demonstrate a high level of legal expertise, knowledge of upstream oil and gas and commercial practicality. Julia Derrick exhibits a particularly measured approach to complicated transactions which gives the client confidence. Michael Burns’ enthusiasm for solving problems for clients is self evident and energising.’
Kuwait Petroleum Corporation
Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Advised ONE-Dyas on a $900m reserve-based lending facility, which was entered into in connection with the merger of Orange-Nassau Energie with the North Sea business of Dyas.
- Advised Northleaf Capital Partners on its acquisition of a 90% interest in Douglas Terminals, which operates a petroleum products storage terminal in the Port of Ghent, Belgium, from Hartree Partners and Ghent Transport & Storage.
- Advised Amerisur Resources in relation to a recommended £242m offer for the company by GeoPark Colombia S.A.S., a wholly owned subsidiary of GeoPark Limited.
Baker Botts (UK) LLP
Baker Botts (UK) LLP is a highly regarded full-service firm incorporating a global network of oil and gas experts handling big-ticket cross-border corporate transactions, financing deals, disputes and other related mandates. The firm strengthened its extensive activity in international oil and gas project development projects with the arrival of Nick Collins from Jones Day, who adds his 20 years of experience advising borrowers, sponsors, export credit agencies, banks and Islamic finance institutions on projects in Africa and the Middle East. Poupak Anjomshoaa joined from Norton Rose Fulbright, focusing on transactions and disputes. Other key figures include practice head Mark Rowley, Hamish McArdle, Rob Butler and senior associate Alex Kerr.
‘Exceptionally responsive, always provide guidance on which we can fully rely without question, and ready to argue their corner if challenged.’
‘Partner Mark Rowley is highly responsive and ensures his team is ready to support us quickly when required. Mark understands the key issues and counter-parties involved.’
‘Senior Associate Alex Kerr delivers outstanding drafts quickly and knows the complex legal issues at play. He’s deeply familiar with our business and the contextual legal and commercial issues, providing (along with Mark Rowley) significant institutional knowledge as an in-house counsel would.’
Uganda National Oil Corporation
Jordan Bromine Company
Energy Investments Ltd
Dubai Supply Authority (DUSUP)
Australia Pacific LNG
- Advising on the participation of Uganda National Oil Corporation in the 1,445-kilometre East African Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) project from Uganda to Tanzania (in partnership with TOTAL, Tullow, CNOOC and TPDC).
- Advising JSC Novatek on the sale of a 10% participation interest in the Arctic LNG 2 project to each of CNOOC Ltd. and China National Petroleum Corporation respectively.
- Acting as project counsel for Steelhead LNG, advising on all aspects of the structuring and development of various LNG projects being sponsored by Steelhead in Canada.
Clifford Chance LLP acts for an impressive roster of clients encompassing national independent companies, IOC majors and private equity houses. Alongside big-ticket transactions and international disputes, the firm also assists with construction and procurement arrangements, antitrust issues and environmental law. Practice co-heads Graham Phillips and Alex Panayides, as well as David Lewis, have a wealth of experience leading arbitration proceedings and complex transactions across the oil and gas value chain. Global head of the energy and resources practice, Russell Wells has over 30 years of commercial, corporate and finance experience acting in landmark transactions in emerging markets.
Kuwait National Petroleum
Pharos Energy (previously Soco International)
Offshore Drilling Holding S.A.
Trans Adriatic Pipeline
- Advising Arctic LNG 2 and its principal shareholder JSC Novatek on the development of a significant LNG liquefaction plant in the Russian Federation.
- Acted for the Development Bank for Southern Africa; Mauritius Commercial Bank and Absa Bank on the development and financing of an LNG regasification plant in the port of Tema, Ghana with one floating storage unit and one floating regasification unit.
- Advised Edison on the disposal to Energean Oil & Gas of 100% of Edison Exploration and Production and its subsidiaries in the hydrocarbons exploration and production business.
Energy powerhouse CMS fields a global network of oil and gas experts acting on landmark M&A transactions throughout the value chain, with additional expertise in FPSO and floating LNG work and a notable track record in handling matters in the North Sea and emerging markets. The addition of Paul Simpson from Shearman & Sterling LLP further strengthened the group's capabilities in project financing matters. Penelope Warne is a highly regarded figure in the oil and gas regulatory space, leading the practice alongside Jonathan Woolf, Matthew Culver and Andrew Shaw. Ian Herbert has substantial expertise in large-scale offshore and onshore infrastructure projects and floating LNG facilities.
‘This practice is deeply embedded in the energy/oil and gas industry in the UK and in many countries overseas. It has an enviable strength in depth among its Energy partners and associates. It was the first City firm to open an office in Aberdeen, the UK’s oil and gas capital. My company has instructed this firm on UK and Asian projects and strongly recommend it. Very friendly partners and associates. A pleasure to work with.’
Korea Gas Corporation (Kogas)
- Acted for BP plc on the further disposal of assets in its North Sea business, part of BP’s continuing transformation of its UK upstream oil and gas portfolio and upstream business.
- Instructed by Eni on the restructuring of an EMEA LNG joint venture with a Spanish partner and local governmental entities. Involving M&A transactions, financings and commercial contract renegotiations.
- Acting for Dana Gas on the potential disposal of its entire Egyptian upstream portfolio.
Dentons leverages expertise across the full-spectrum of oil and gas matters, with a strong ability to handle complex matters across several jurisdictions, particularly in Africa, Asia and the Eastern Mediterranean. Core areas of expertise include regulatory work as well as project developments, financings, corporate transactions and high-value contentious claims. Charles Wood is a renowned figure for commercial and regulatory advice pertaining to LNG projects. Danielle Beggs and David Tennant co-head the 'very well put together, cooperative and commercially minded' group, which recently recruited Greg Hammond (from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP) and Paul Doris (from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (UK) LLP), strengthening the group's transactional capabilities in Africa and Latin America.
‘Dentons’ London energy practice is very well put together, cooperative and commercially minded.’
‘The firm seems to have endless resources and experience to draw from. Whatever the matter, the appropriate resource to solve or opine on the matter is accessible. ‘
‘Greg Hammond’s experience and engagement in the oil and gas industry allows him to contribute meaningfully to strategy discussions on both matters involving day-to-day business and interaction with regulators, and larger periodic corporate transactions. He provides useful benchmarks against market practice and what is and isn’t reasonable.’
‘They have an international presence, even in challenging countries.’
Low Carbon Contracts Company
ONGC Videsh Limited
PT Trans Asia resources
- Advised independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company, Noble Energy and Delek Drilling on the acquisition of the Eastern Mediterranean Gas Pipeline to support delivery of natural gas from the Leviathan and Tamar fields, offshore Israel, into Egypt.
- Advised Hurricane Energy Plc on the farm-out of 50% of its interests in the Lincoln and Warwick assets to Spirit Energy Limited.
- Assisting ONGC Videsh with assessing a bid for a 35% farm-in opportunity regarding a substantial development project located offshore Senegal.
DLA Piper is praised for its depth of expertise across the oil and gas value chain, from exploration and production matters to midstream and downstream projects. Practice co-heads James Carter and Philip Chong have an outstanding record in international arbitration and litigation proceedings in the oil and gas sector. Andreas Gunst is particularly recommended for work involving cross-border gas pipelines in Europe and the Middle East. Project finance expert Nacim Bounouara and transactional specialist Tracey Renshaw joined from Ashurst and Clifford Chance LLP respectively, in early 2019. Charles Morrison joined Ernst & Young Global Limited in mid-2020.
‘Great staff to fill all necessary roles in a team of any size, enormous work ethic and high quality work output, focused leadership and currently the best litigation approach of any firm in the city.’
‘Specialised and dedicated team with broad and deep knowledge of the subject matters. Dedication to seeing the task through is exceptional.’
‘Philip Chong is a star partner. Astute, but sensible, he brings real clout to the biggest cases. James Carter goes the extra mile to achieve the best outcome for his clients.’
National Grid Gas
Cyprus’s state owned National Gas Public Company (DEFA)
China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau
Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
Victoria Oil & Gas PLC
- Advised Gastrans, the project company (and its shareholders) on all aspects related to the development of the gas interconnector from the Serbian-Bulgarian border, through Serbia up to the Serbian- Hungarian border.
- Advising the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan on the process of development and negotiation of the approx. $7bn Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) project agreements.
- Advising Cyprus’s state owned National Gas Public Company, DEFA in connection with the supply of LNG to Cyprus and the procurement of the necessary infrastructure facilities, including the development of floating storage and regas facilities permanently located in the Vasilikos bay.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is instructed by major energy companies and developers, governments and banks on project financings and M&A transactions. Group head Steven Dalton specialises in acquisitions, disposals and project developments, with a focus on Russia and the CIS region, while Reza Dadbakhsh is well versed in multijurisdictional corporate transactions in the LNG and power sub-sectors. On the contentious side, James Baily represents clients in cross-border disputes in the context of major projects, drilling contracts, joint ventures and gas sales agreements.
Latham & Watkins leverages its top-tier expertise to handle matters across the full life-cycle of a project, from exploration work to post-production, development and regulatory matters. Clients range from private equity houses and NOCs to banks and oil majors. Team leader Simon Tysoe specialises in upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas M&A, joint ventures, restructurings and project developments. John Balsdon, Craig Nethercott, Kem Ihenacho and Clement Fondufe have all been involved in major projects across the Middle East and Africa. Matthew Brown is recommended for project developments and project finance work in Latin America and Australia.
‘Top LNG practice. Very commercial. Have been in most flagship LNG projects globally and on the African continent.’
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
The Carlyle Group
Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc
Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Advised Chevron on the $2bn sale of its UK upstream business to Ithaca Energy.
- Advising the sponsor on the financing of Mozambique LNG.
- Advising the underwriting banks on the $2 trillion Saudi Aramco IPO.
Milbank is well placed to advise on country-first transformative projects, such as the $4bn financing of the SNE deep water oil field located within the Senegalese portion of the Mauritania- Senegal-Guinea Bissau Basin. Other core areas of expertise include LNG-to-power projects, M&A transactions, restructurings and financings. Leading the 'exceptionally talented' team are Manzer Ijaz and Matthew Hagopian, both with a strong profile in the oil and gas and LNG spheres. John Dewar has a wealth of experience acting for financial institutions on the financing of cross-border projects in the Middle East. Clive Ransome and associate Kilian de Cintré are also highly recommended, as is associate Munib Hussain in the petrochemical and Islamic finance sector.
‘Small numbers with exceptional talent and perfect team collaboration.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
International Finance Corporation
Gas Natural Açu
Export-Import Bank of Korea
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance
UK Export Finance
Export Finance Australia
- Sole M&A adviser to BlackRock and KKR on their landmark partnership with ADNOC in connection with a $4bn midstream pipeline infrastructure agreement. The transaction is the first midstream infrastructure partnership in the Middle East.
- Advising the lenders, comprising 10 export credit agencies and commercial banks, on the project financing for the development of a world-class, integrated refining and petrochemicals complex in South Johor, Malaysia.
- Advising NextDecade on the development, commercial contract negotiation and project financing of its $8bn Rio Grande LNG Liquefaction Project and Rio Grande Pipeline Project, located in Brownsville, Texas.
White & Case LLP has impressive expertise across all major legal disciplines in the oil and gas sector. The group, under the leadership of Philip Stopford, is also involved in the largest multijurisdictional transactions and projects, including the first-ever reserve-based lending transaction in respect of Trident Energy’s $1bn acquisition of the Pampo and Enchova oil fields in Brazil. Jason Kerr, Mark Castillo-Bernaus and Mukund Dhar are highly regarded project finance lawyers, representing commercial banks, export credit agencies, sponsors and developers in emerging markets. Other standout partners include David Baker in the upstream sector, Allan Taylor for M&A and equity capital markets deals, and Mark Clarke for high-end energy disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong firm with broad knowledge throughout sector. Able to call upon resources in multiple practice areas.’
‘Jason Kerr – top notch knowledge in oil and gas with broad projects knowledge.’
‘David Baker is a consummate professional who combines in-depth knowledge of oil and gas law with deep commercial understanding and builds great rapport with clients.’
‘David Baker – dogged common sense, pushes for best interests of client in a manner that even impresses the opposition.’
‘Mukund Dhar – quality practitioner who is personable and available.’
‘Tom Bartlett is very professional, solid and well qualified.’
- Advised the Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) on its $25.6bn IPO, the world’s largest IPO to date.
- Advised MOL Group in relation to its agreement with Chevron Global Ventures Ltd and Chevron BTC Pipeline, Ltd to acquire their non-operated E&P and midstream interests in Azerbaijan, including a 9.57% stake in the Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli oil field, and an effective 8.9% stake in the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline that transports the crude to the Mediterranean port of Ceyhan, for total consideration of $1.57bn.
- Advising Carbon Holdings as sponsor on all aspects of the proposed multi-billion petrochemical complex in Egypt, which will be the largest project in Egypt.
The oil and gas team at Akin Gump LLP is co-led by John C. LaMaster and Justin Williams and impresses with its ‘knowledge, experience and ability to turn things around quickly‘. LaMaster is a seasoned expert in all aspects of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas work and also handles electricity generation, biofuel, chemical and petrochemical matters; while Williams handles litigation. The practice significantly bolstered its capabilities in late 2019 with the addition of transactional corporate and private equity partners Shaun Lascelles and Simon Rootsey from Vinson & Elkins RLLP, and Weyinmi Popo from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (UK) LLP, who specialises in Africa-focused transactions and investments. Julian Nichol is also noted for project finance mandates.
‘The experience of the team makes it unique. Also the turn-around time on projects and documents is phenomenal.’
‘Knowledge, experience, ability to turn things around quickly.’
‘Substantively, the team are exceptional and among the best, if not the best. Additionally, what sets them apart is their responsiveness, commerciality and proactive approach to getting the deal done.’
‘Justin Williams – true market leader.’
Pan American Energy S.L.
Palestine Power Generation Company
Ad hoc committee of lenders to Endeavour International Corp
DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG
The Carlyle Group
Dommo Energia S.A.
- Advised LUKOIL on an $850m acquisition of a 25% working interest in the Marine XII license in the Republic of Congo from New Age M12 Holdings Limited.
- Advising Coastline Exploration on a significant project to explore for oil and gas offshore Somalia.
- Advised COG Energy Ltd., a portfolio company of Carlyle International Energy Partners, on the acquisition of 100% shares of three Panamanian companies holding two production licences in Colombia.
Baker McKenzie is making notable strides in the midstream and downstream oil and gas sector, and is increasingly adept at handling large-scale LNG projects across Europe and Africa with the arrival of Philip Thomson from Ashurst. Practice head Richard Blunt, Kathy Honeywood and Susannah Davies are noted for their expertise in M&A, joint ventures, private equity transactions and project developments across the CIS, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific region.
‘The London oil and gas team were very user friendly – provided targeted, on point advice quickly and effectively.’
‘Susannah Davies is a fine practitioner; easy to work with, on top of the detail and effective during negotiations.’
Dresser-Rand Group Inc. (a US-based subsidiary of Siemens)
Gazprom Export LLC
Uniper Global Commodities
- Advising Vitol, a multinational commodity trader, on the creation of a joint venture with ENH, the national oil company of Mozambique, to market and trade energy commodities, including LNG, LPG and condensate. The joint venture creates a route to market for Mozambique’s offshore gas reserves, which will make Mozambique a leading exporter of LNG.
- Advising Uniper (as project developer) on a proposed project to develop a liquefied natural gas Floating Storage and Regasification Unit (FSRU) in Wilhelmshaven, Germany.
- Advising Gastrade in connection with the development of the Alexandroupolis Independent Natural Gas System (Alexandroupolis LNG Terminal), an integrated national LNG import facility to be located off the coast of Alexandroupolis, Greece.
Bracewell (UK) LLP has a strong level of expertise in oil and gas developments in emerging economies across Africa and Latin America, as well as upstream oil and gas M&A transactions and joint ventures in the UK. Key partners in the 'outstanding energy team' include practice head Jason Fox, who has over 30 years experience as an energy finance lawyer; and Adam Blythe for project developments, commercial arrangements and cross-border transactions, often with an African-focus. Other recommended individuals include Nina Howell for LNG sector work, Oliver Irwin for project financing matters, and transactional lawyers Darren Spalding, Alastair Young and Eimear Murphy.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Bracewell legal team can be described as a highly committed, driven and knowledgeable legal practice, with a deep understanding of the legal, commercial and credit risks that are associated with the oil and gas sector and RBL lending space. The team is easy to work with, and is considered a trusted adviser.’
‘The Bracewell team is very knowledgeable in oil and gas. They not only understand the legal implications but also understand clients’ commercial needs.’
‘I have successfully worked together with Eimear Murphy on various transactions. She is committed, proactive, a good communicator, and she demonstrates a deep understanding of the legal and commercial aspects of the oil and gas industry. This enables her to advice clients on more than the legal aspects of a transaction, which sets her aside as a legal adviser.’
‘Adam Blythe is an excellent support in any negotiation. He articulates the client’s position with a clear reasoning while remaining calm in difficult negotiations. This approach helps to build trust among the parties and to find solutions.’
‘Jason Fox leads an outstanding energy team in London.’
‘Darren Spalding clearly loves what he does, and that’s a nice trait to work with. Also reassuring. He’s enthusiastic and interested.’
‘Adam Blyth is always available and grasps the issues quickly.’
Maurel & Prom
Aqua Ventures International FZE
New Age (African Global Energy)
West Titan Energy Limited
Anadarko Mozambique Area 1 Limitada
- Advised ING Bank as lenders’ counsel in relation to the $900m financing in connection with the merger of the Oranje-Nassau Energie and Dyas upstream oil and gas businesses.
- Advising German LNG Terminal GmbH in connection with the first LNG import terminal in Germany (in the port of Hamburg).
- Acted for Premier Oil in relation to the multi-billion dollar project development, financing and farm-out of the Sea Lion project in the Falkland Islands.
Clyde & Co LLP is a 'practical, value-for-money and solution-oriented' firm, which is respected for its oil and gas transactional work and experience in landmark disputes in emerging markets across the CIS region, Africa and Asia. Energy litigation and international arbitration are key areas of strength, led by group head David Bennet alongside David Leckie and Mark Walsh; the team's contentious offering was also bolstered by the recruitment of Mary Anne Roff from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP. Elsewhere, Michael Wachtel and Philip Mace advise on cross-border corporate transactions, financing issues and commercial agreements. Stephen Jurgenson joined from Winston & Strawn LLP in late 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘Practical, value for money, solution oriented. Extremely responsive and the global network helps running down queries even in the remote jurisdictions.’
‘Philip Mace stands head above shoulders, top energy lawyer, problem solver and negotiator.’
‘It’s global sectoral expertise. Client’s in this space require in depth understanding and a global footprint. This practice delivers both and with commercially sensible approach to fees. The practice is responsive and truly partner lead which is generally expected in this market.’
Fieldfisher has a notable reputation in handling complex large-scale oil and gas projects throughout Europe, MENA and Latin America. Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's former head of energy Paul Stockley joined in late 2019, enhancing the group's client base in the E&P sector. Stockley leads the practice; corporate finance lawyer Dominic Gurney-Champion and international arbitration advocate Simon Sloane are also highly recommended.
‘Fieldfisher has a small group of partner level upstream oil and gas specialists backed up by a strong bench of cross industry legal professionals; some with a significant level of experience in upstream oil and gas.’
‘Our main experience is with Paul Stockley, who recently jointed Fieldfisher as partner. We have worked extensively with Paul on some very significant transactions. He has invariably demonstrated a high level of legal expertise, familiarity with upstream oil and gas issues, rigour and a practical approach to solving problems.’
Independent Oil & Gas Plc
KazMunaiGas Exploration Production
Littop Enterprises & related companies
Mirabaud Securities Limited
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited
Cenkos Securities plc
Echo Energy plc
Pura Vida Energy NL (Now Ansila Energy NL)
British Pipeline Agency
National Petroleum Company
President Energy PLC
San Leon Energy
- Acted for AIM-listed IOG on a £250m deal to farm-out 50% of its interest in six North Sea fields and certain gas processing and pipeline facilities to CalEnergy Limited (a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway), together with the simultaneous repayment and restructuring of all IOG’s outstanding debt facilities and the issuance of a €100m Nordic bond.
- Advised KazMunaiGas Exploration Production JSC, the E&P arm of the state-owned oil and gas company of Kazakhstan, in connection with the negotiation and conclusion of a gas sales agreement. Also assisted the company with an agreement for processing liquid gas-condensate hydrocarbons between its subsidiary, Ural Oil & Gas LLP, and Zhaikmunai LLP, a subsidiary of UK-listed Nostrum Oil & Gas plc.
- Advised NPC, a leading Egyptian oil and gas exploration and production company, on the $40m loan refinancing from The Mauritus Commercial Bank Ltd and Barak Fund Segregated Portfolio Company Ltd.
Hogan Lovells International LLP is highly active in project financing, development and transactional issues, as well as licensing and regulatory matters. The team, which is led by Ben Sulaiman, is regularly instructed by a diverse range of clients including global energy majors, financial institutions and investment funds on upstream oil and gas project developments and midstream transportation arrangements. Kieron O’Callaghan and Ben Hornan are the lead partners for high-profile claims and arbitration proceedings in the energy space.
‘Kieron O’Callaghan is careful, practical and always fully on top of all the details – and has a deep knowledge of the industry.’
‘The strength of this practice lies in its international reach and the strength of its presence in those countries where oil and gas is a big part of the economy.’
‘Excellent individuals who are hard working and smart and always great to work with.’
- Acting as sole project counsel for the entire consortium (BP, SOCAR (State Oil Company of Republic of Azerbaijan), Petronas, Lukoil, TPAO, NICO), on the $45bn Shah Deniz 2 Gas Project.
- Acting as sole project counsel for a National Oil Company of an East Asian State on its upstream oil and gas project in Chad.
- Advising a large European utility on the establishment of its LNG trading business, including advice on LNG supply arrangements, ship charter arrangements, industry regulation and complex sanctions advice relating to supply from Russia.
Linklaters LLP's oil and gas team, which is collectively led by Daniel Tyrer, John Pickett and Chris Staples, has substantial experience in advising on project financings, developments and corporate transactions across Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. The firm is also actively involved in legistlative developments, advising the Oil and Gas Climate Initiative on the Clean Gas Project, set to be one of the first projects in the new Carbon Capture and Storage Initiative. Other key partners include Mark Russell, Matthew Keats, Owen Clay and Fiona Hobbs.
The Bahrain Petroleum Company (BAPCO)
LetterOne Holdings S.A.
- Advising the Area 4 consortium (led by ExxonMobil and ENI as operators) on the development of the Rovuma LNG project, which will produce, liquefy and sell natural gas from the gas fields of the Area 4 block offshore Mozambique, and its related long-term sale of LNG.
- Advised BAPCO, the flagship refining company wholly owned by the Kingdom of Bahrain, on the $4bn multi-source conventional and Islamic ECA-backed financing of its $6bn expansion and upgrading project.
- Advised LetterOne Holdings S.A. on all legal aspects of the $21bn merger of its oil and gas subsidiary DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG with Wintershall Holding GmbH, a subsidiary of the largest chemical producer in the world BASF SE, to form a leading independent oil and gas company headquartered in Western Europe.
Norton Rose Fulbright is well regarded for its 'extensive experience in various jurisdictions' and 'commercial acumen' in the oil and gas sector. The team demonstrates particular depth in the LNG arena, and is regularly involved in the construction and operation of LPG infrastructure, LNG terminals and LNG-to-power plants. Nick Prowse focuses on upstream and downstream matters, while group head Rob Marsh and Madhavi Gosavi are project finance specialists.
‘Extensive experience in various jurisdictions. Resourcing appropriately and proactively. Strength in depth from partner to associate level. Commercial acumen and understanding of client sector and market practices.’
Bank of Tokyo MUFG
Brookfield Renewable Power
Greencoat UK Wind plc
Ministry of Finance of Angola
- Advising INA-INDUSTRIJA NAFTE, d.d. (INA) on the front end engineering design for INA’s residue upgrade project at its Rijeka refinery in Urinj, Croatia.
- Advised Bahrain’s National Oil and Gas Authority on the development, construction, testing and commissioning of the Bahrain LNG terminal project, comprising an FSU, an offshore LNG receiving jetty and breakwater, an adjacent regasification platform, subsea gas pipelines from the platform to shore, an onshore gas receiving facility and an onshore nitrogen production facility.
- Advised on the sale of BP’s petroleum interests in the Gulf of Suez region of the Republic of Egypt covering 12 different concession areas including BP’s interest in the Gulf of Suez Petroleum Company to Emirates National Oil Company owned Dragon Oil.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (UK) LLP has recently expanded its oil and gas and energy infrastructure offering with the recruitment of project finance specialist Evan Stergoulis and his core team from Watson Farley & Williams LLP as well as transactional partners Simon Alsey and Ravinder Sandhu. The arrival of Ed Lukins from Cooley (UK) LLP also further bolstered the team's capabilities in M&A and capital markets activities in the oil and gas sector. Edward Humphries, Mark Beeley and associate Rebecca Downes are also of note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mark Beeley has a fantastic insight into the industry and quickly gets to grips with the issues we’ve consulted him on.’
Axpo Trading AG
Azito Energie S.A.
Conrad Energy Limited
ENGIE Global Markets
Falcon Oil & Gas
H-Energy Mideast DMCC
MET International AG
Petrolera El Trebol S.A.
SOCAR Trading S.A.
- Advised Azito Energie S.A. and its joint venture shareholders, Globeleq and IPS, on the commercial and financing aspects of the Phase 4 expansion project of the Azito gas-fired power project (the single largest power project in Cote d’Ivoire).
- Acted as lead external counsel on the negotiation of gas and LNG trading agreements and other commodity-related activities for Petroineos Trading Limited and other PetroChina (a JV partner in Petroineos) group entities based in Europe.
- Advised Petrolera El Trebol S.A., a subsidiary of Phoenix Global Resources plc, on the completion of the sale of its 70% non-operated working interest in the Santa Cruz Sur Assets to Echo Energy plc, the Latin America-focused upstream oil and gas company.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's sizeable team, which is led by Aberdeen-based global head Bob Ruddiman, handles the full breadth of corporate finance, project development, capital markets and contentious matters in the oil and gas industry. The firm is well known for its transactional capabilities, working on substantial acquisitions and projects in the North Sea, Africa and North America. Other key figures in London include Paul McGoldrick, Akshai Fofaria, who specialises in Africa-focused projects; George Booth and Katherine Davies.
‘The team understands our business well and communicates well amongst themselves (both domestically and internationally). They do not over-engineer matters and try to find a practical, pragmatic solution to our problems. Their expertise is unquestionable and all high quality.’
‘Availability and access to the working team was excellent. On short notice they provided an unparalleled flexibility, including during public holidays, to meet our very last minute needs.’
‘Paul McGoldrick is outstanding, a true expert in his field.’
Shell UK Limited
Total E&P UK Limited
Siccar Point Energy
Suncor Energy Services Inc
Oriental Energy Resources Limited
- Advised Total on the sale of a package of 10 oil and gas fields to Petrogas NEO with a mix of operated and non-operated assets.
- Handled the acquisition by Ithaca of Chevron North Sea Limited.
- Advised Siccar Point Energy Ltd on the development of the Cambo oil and gas field, West of Shetland, and the tie-in, transportation and processing arrangements through the West of Shetland Pipeline System and the Sullom Voe Terminal.
Shearman & Sterling LLP fields a 'very creative and commercial team' led by Iain Elder, and has strong capabilities in traditional project finance issues, leveraged finance work and oil and gas M&A in emerging markets across Africa and Asia. Sanja Udovicic and Anthony Lepere advise financiers, borrowers and sponsors on a variety of financing arrangements. Global head of finance Nick Buckworth leads the London project development and finance group, while John Inglis has a strong background in handling the development and financing of power plant projects and refineries in Africa and the Middle East.
‘Very creative and commercial team that delivers deal making solutions across both lender and sponsor mandates in the emerging markets. Equally strong in Asia, Africa and Latin America.’
‘Shearman & Sterling is an exceptional law firm. We loved to work with them on a large LNG-to-Power financing in Brazil. They go the extra mile for their clients – absolutely outstanding!’
‘Nick Buckworth – star performer and a real deal maker. Iain Elder – great on petrochemical and oil & gas. Sanja Udovicic – great lender side.’
Topaz Energy and Marine
Bahrain Petroleum Company
Golar LNG Limited
Export-Import Bank of Korea (“K-EXIM”) K-Exim
The Dow Chemical Company
Arab Republic of Egypt
- Acted as legal advisor to BAPCO on all aspects of the $6bn BAPCO Modernisation Program in Bahrain.
- Advised Golar LNG in connection with all aspects of the provision of a floating liquefaction facility for use by BP on behalf of the Co-venturers in the Greater Tortue Ahmeyim Project, offshore Mauritania and Senegal
- Advised International Finance Corporation and KfW IPEX-Bank GmbH as the senior financing parties in connection with the development and financing of the $1.2bn integrated LNG-to-power project located in Porto de Açu in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons is a key name for complex oil and gas projects including handling the acquisition, development and financing of first-on-the-market energy infrastructure projects including various cross-border pipeline matters in Eastern Europe and East Africa; it also fields a trade finance and dispute resolution offering. Adam Cooper has over 25 years experience advising energy companies, commercial banks, private equity funds and development finance institutions on transformational projects globally, while Patrick Wallace's practice encompasses project developments, M&A joint ventures, commercial contracts and trading and regulatory work. Iain Duncan chairs the practice.
Government of Kenya, State Department for Petroleum
Bulgarian Energy Holding EAD
Uganda National Oil Corporation
- Acted for the Government of Kenya, through its Ministry of Petroleum, on working closely with international oil companies to commercialise the large oil discovery in the Lokichar basin, North Kenya.
- Advising the Bulgarian state gas company on a number of key agreements and contracts in relation to the Greece-Bulgaria gas interconnector.
- Acting for the lenders in connection with the project financing of a bulk liquids terminal for the import and storage of gasoil, LPG and LNG at Sokhna Port, Egypt. The Project represents the first dedicated Egyptian bulk liquids terminal south of the Suez Canal.
Vinson & Elkins RLLP handles the full range of issues across the entire oil and gas production chain, from upstream transactions and pipeline arrangements to downstream LNG work and day-to-day operational support. Group head Alex Msimang has a strong focus on M&A transactions in the upstream sector, especially in Africa, while global projects finance head Nabil Khodadad is advising SOCAR GPC on its proposed development and financing of a greenfield gas processing plant and polypropylene petrochemicals facility in Azerbaijan. Andrew Nealon is experienced in EPC contracts, offtake and supply arrangements, process licensings and project financing work. Counsel Alistair Wishart and senior associate Nadine Amr are noted for energy infrastructure projects and corporate transactions.
‘V&E has been helpful in tackling issues swiftly, especially seen as time constraints are very important in our business. I value the advice provided on a number matters. They are thorough and solid.’
Africa Oil Corp.
Delonex Energy Limited
MCC EuroChem OJSC/Joint Stock Company EuroChem Northwest
Ministry of Oil of the Republic of Iraq
SOCAR Turkey Enerji A.S.
- Advised Africa Oil Corp in connection with a $1.53bn acquisition by one of its subsidiaries of 50% of the share capital of POGBV, an entity owning oil and gas interests in Nigeria.
- Advising BP and SOCAR Turkey Enerji A.S. on a proposed development and financing of a PTA and aromatics petrochemicals facility in Aliaga, Turkey.
- Represented Saipem in a $1bn ICC claim brought by Italian energy services company Saipem against a Gazprom entity over a terminated contract to build the South Stream gas pipeline between Russia and southern Europe.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP has notable experience in joint venture arrangements, as well as the acquisition and sale of assets throughout the gas value chain; the firm is also well regarded for its energy disputes practice, which is co-headed by George Burn. Corporate partner Adam Dann leads the group, which bolstered its capabilities in international M&A, and exploration and production matters with the recruitment of former Watson Farley & Williams LLP lawyers Rod Chooramun and John Conlin. Elsewhere, Alexander Keepin has substantial experience in IPOs and secondary issuances on the Main Market and AIM for oil and gas companies. Senior associates Simon Buchler and Helen Miller are also key names to note.
Pantheon Resources Inc
Halite Energy Limited
Hellenic Petroleum S.A.
SDX Energy Inc
INA, d.d. & MOL Group
Naftna Industrija Srbije
Oil & Gas Authority
- Advised AIM-listed Pantheon Resources PLC on the acquisition of two wholly owned subsidiaries of Great Bear Petroleum Operating LLC.
- Acted for SDX Energy Inc, a Canadian incorporated oil and gas company which was listed on the TSX-V and AIM, on its re-domicile to the UK by way of a court-approved Canadian scheme of arrangement.
- Advising Panoro Energy Asa on a range of matters in relation to its offshore petroleum asset in Gabon.
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Anna Howell leads the energy practice at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, which specialises in big-ticket M&A transactions, supported by experts in the firm's private equity, project finance and dispute resolution groups. Howell has a broad range of experience across the whole energy value chain in mature and emerging markets. Other key names include Jeffrey Sullivan QC, who was appointed silk in 2021 and specialises in international commercial and investment treaty arbitration proceedings; and associate Mitasha Chandok, who is recommended for joint ventures and project developments.
‘The team’s knowledge and skills in this area are proficient and very comprehensive. They can give legal perspective in a different way from other firms. We did not even follow up the next action, they consistently do what they say they will and get it executed by when they tell me they will. They have consistently delivered very good success and excellent service.’
PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP)
Corral Morocco Holdings
- Advised Marathon on the sale of its UK North Sea business to LSE-listed oil and gas company RockRose Energy plc.
- Advised Murphy, a US-based oil and gas company, on the divestment of its two primary Malaysian subsidiaries, Murphy Sabah Oil Co., Ltd. and Murphy Sarawak Oil Co., Ltd., to a subsidiary of PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited.
- Advised Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, the sponsors of the Mozambique LNG project (a $20bn LNG project under development in the Republic of Mozambique), in connection with a LNG sale and purchase agreement for the sale of 1 million tonnes per annum of LNG to Indonesia’s national oil and gas company, PT Pertamina (Persero), for a term of 20 years.
Haynes and Boone CDG, LLP's practice, under the leadership of Glenn Kangisser, has expanded its bench strength in the energy sector with the recent recruitment of Rob Patterson from Vinson & Elkins RLLP, who brings over 25 years of experience in energy-related projects and transactions. The firm also retains a strong offering in offshore drilling matters and exploration and production work. Corporate partner Anna Nerush is also of note, as is William Cecil and Melanie Willems for high-end energy disputes. Associate Phoebe Anderson is recommended for commercial contracts.
‘Very detailed knowledge of the oil and gas sector and in particular the drilling industry. Second to none in that respect.’
‘Glenn Kangisser is very thorough and always delivers solid advice which has been thought through. He is accessible and a pleasant chap with a great legal mind.’
Stena Drilling Ltd
TMS Cardiff Gas
- Acted for Stena Drilling in respect to the sale of one of its semi-submersible drilling units “Stena Clyde” to COSL.
- Acting for Valaris plc in High Court proceedings in respect of a claim by a Saudi Arabian company, Al Rushaid Trading Company, concerning tortious claims relating to a shareholders’ agreement for the provision of drilling vessels offshore Saudi Arabia.
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP handles a broad range of legal work, including equity capital markets transactions, M&A, project financings, infrastructure developments, regulatory issues and compliance work. Paul Tetlow, who leads the corporate side of the group, is 'very bright, extremely competent and very level headed'. On the contentious side, Jeremy Farr specialises in disputes arising from offshore and onshore upstream oil and gas projects.
‘K&L Gates is superb, what always set them apart for me is their ability to see things entirely from clients’ perspective and to fully understand the position. This amounts to much more than just acting in our interest on a transaction and it’s what sets them apart from other firms.’
‘We primarily work with Paul Tetlow and his team and our experience has been excellent. Paul is very bright, extremely competent and very level headed.’
‘Allocating and involving the right people with necessary experience from the beginning and continuously putting in effort to meet the changing requirement from the clients was something I believe is unique to this firm.’
‘Jeremy Farr is one of the best in this field. Impressive technical skills and understanding combined with commercial approach and clear pragmatic advice. A pleasure to work with.’
Faroe Petroleum Plc
Cluff Natural Resources PLC
Hanwha Energy Corporation
Longboat Energy Plc
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited
MODEC International Inc
Seaway Heavy Lifting
London Marine Consultants
- Advised Cluff Natural Resources Plc on its placing and subscription of new ordinary shares to raise minimum gross proceeds of approximately £15m.
- Advising Faroe Petroleum plc on a hostile takeover by DNO ASA, valued at £650m.
- Advising on a £10m placing and admission to AIM of Longboat Energy, a company established to create a full-cycle North Sea oil and gas company.
King & Spalding LLP acts for leading sponsors, lenders and government clients with notable depth in M&A, corporate and project development work in the upstream oil and gas sector. The practice also fields experts in the LNG sector, with notable expertise in handling LNG export and import projects in Europe, Africa and further afield. Martin Hunt and Nikhil Markanday are the key figures in the London office and are supported by an extensive international network of energy specialists across multiple jurisdictions.
European Investment Bank
Anadarko Petroleum Company
Korea Electric Power Company
Denham Hill Capital
Baker Hughes, a GE Company
Sierra Oil & Gas
- Advising Anadarko on all aspects of its $50bn LNG Project, the largest proposed LNG export project in the world.
- Advising Mitsui & Co., Ltd, MODEC, Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd and Marubeni as the shareholders of the issuer and the project company, on a $1.2bn Rule 144A / Reg S project bond issuance; the proceeds of which shall be used to refinance the existing project finance debt for the Cernambi Sul MV24 FPSO project offshore Brazil.
Bob Palmer and Robert Hamill jointly lead the team at Mayer Brown International LLP, which focuses on cross-border M&A. fundraising issues, projects and commercial contracts in the oil and gas space, particularly in the upstream sector. Key clients include household oil, gas and energy companies, mid-caps and start-ups, as well as service companies, banks and government organisations. Palmer and senior associate Tom Mallalieu advise on significant development projects in the upstream and midstream sectors in emerging economies.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very responsive and experienced. Among other large firms I have worked with they stand out in their transparency and competence.’
‘Mayer Brown genuinely provide competitive advantage through their advice. They have a real understanding of the business, also on a strategic and operational level and the markets within which the business operates. On the ball and pro-active. Mayer Brown seems really keen to make the difference for their clients and is offering excellent service.’
‘Bob Palmer; trusted adviser, leading practitioner and highly regarded lawyer in the international energy industry, knows all the players and has worked on many project across the globe. Great to have him on our side as he is really making a huge difference in our projects. Clearly a market leader, excellent expert with deep knowledge of the energy market in general and oil and gas specifically. Next to that Bob makes himself always available, is very client focused, efficient, no-nonsense and provides great advice.’
‘Robert Hamill is a great lawyer, experienced, knowledgeable, supportive and responsive.’
Eland Oil & Gas Plc
Cyprus Hydrocarbons Company (CHC) Limited
Karoon Energy Ltd
Genel Energy plc
Soliton Resources Limited
Fairfax Financial Holdings
Santander (UK) Group Pension Scheme
- Advised Eland Oil & Gas PLC on its sale to Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc, the West African oil operator.
- Advised CHC, the National Oil and Gas Company of the Republic of Cyprus, on the Ministry of Energy’s renegotiation of the Block 12 PSC in relation to the Aphrodite discovery offshore Cyprus.
- Advised on Karoon’s $665m acquisition of the Bauna oil field, in the Santos Basin, Brazil.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP's oil and gas practice is jointly led by Lorenzo Corte and David Kavanagh QC, focusing on cross-border M&A and private equity transactions, and high-end disputes respectively. The firm has notable strength on the contentious side and a reputable transactional and project finance offering. The group routinely represent sponsors, lenders, developers, and other parties involved in greenfield and brownfield projects on project development and LNG matters throughout Asia, North Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America.
Hywel Davies leads the team at Slaughter and May and is a highly regarded expert in energy related public and private M&A, private equity transactions and equity financings. Clients praise the team for its 'practical and commercially astute advice provided against a strong legal framework'.
‘Wide ranging capabilities to assist across a spectrum of requirements for a small cap oil and gas company. Practical and commercially astute advice provided against a strong legal framework.’
- Advising HitecVision and Petrogas on their proposed acquisition (via a new joint venture named Petrogas Neo UK Limited) of a portfolio of operated and non-operated upstream oil and gas assets in the North Sea from Total.
- Advising Premier Oil on the proposed acquisition of BP’s interest in the Andrew area and Shearwater field as well as an increased stake in the Tolmount development, together with related creditor schemes of arrangement, amendment and extension of credit facilities and equity raises.
- Advising Ensco plc on its combination with Rowan Companies plc.
Stephenson Harwood is praised for its strong LNG and offshore practice, advising multinational and state-owned oil companies, traders and offshore contractors on subsea pipelines and offshore infrastructure construction projects, private and public M&A, fundraising issues and ancillary matters. The team includes Rubin Weston, who has a notable background advising on financings in Russia, Eastern Europe and other emerging markets.
Other key lawyers:
‘Go getters. Available and willing to go the extra mile.’
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
Eland Oil & Gas
Green Africa Power
Heerema Marine Contractors
Lightsource Renewable Energy Limited
Petrobras International (Brazil’s state-owned oil company)
North London Waste Authority
Seaway Heavy Lifting
PDVSA (Venezuela’s state-owned oil company)
Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK)
- Acted for SUEK, the largest producer of coal in Russia, on a $1bn pre-export financing in 2019 from a lending syndicate led by Deutsche Bank.
- Advising NLWA on all legal aspects of its North London Heat and Power Project – a ten year programme to build a new Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) at the Edmonton EcoPark in Enfield.
The energy team at Watson Farley & Williams LLP is 'very well connected with the market' and has a notable focus on corporate transactions in the oil and gas sector. Practice head Chris Kilburn is the key figure for M&A and equity capital market transactions, while Joe Levin advises lenders, sponsors and investors on projects in the North Sea and Africa. Heike Trischmann and Jan Mellmann are also recommended.
‘Very well connected with the market – on top of latest developments, transactions, and players which when combined with their undoubted legal prowess makes them a go-to law firm for straightforward or more challenging transactions. Highly responsive and take a good pragmatic, commercial perspective when considering options.’
‘Invaluable expertise and knowledge, readiness to help, sometimes at short notice.’
‘As per the wider organisation, the individuals at WFW are prepared to take ownership of their work scopes and work closely with their clients to provide the optimal outcome in the most efficient and pragmatic manner.’
‘Joe Levin – high energy, principled, thorough and very knowledgeable of the sector and relevant transactions. Great individual to work with and brings with him broader network of partners, industry contacts and experience.’
‘Their level of knowledge on all subject matters is outstanding, and each person on the team goes above and beyond what you would expect from a law firm. They ensure that all aspects of the transaction are dealt with – from contracts, tax advice and country-specific legislation that could potentially cause issues later down the road – and bring up potential hurdles we had not thought of, including non-legal issues.’
‘Chris Kilburn is committed to providing a first-class service, and has extensive and in-depth industry knowledge, which engenders a high level of commerciality in his advice – he won’t attempt to point-score and is prepared to drop arguments of limited practical importance.’
‘WFW’s oil and gas team adopts a refreshingly commercial approach, without compromising on the quality and thoroughness of the legal advice.’
‘A close knit, personable team who are prepared to work with their clients to provide a solution that is tailored to their client’s needs.’
Coro Energy plc
PTT Public Company Limited
Tower Resources plc
Cal Energy Resources
Improved Petroleum Recovery (IPR)
- Advising DNB Bank, Bank of Montreal, BNP Paribas and ING Bank as arrangers and a syndicate of 19 lenders on an upsized $3bn reserve-based lending facility to Chrysaor for the acquisition, in conjunction with its existing cash resources, of ConocoPhillips’ portfolio of UK North Sea oil & gas assets.
- Acted for KrisEnergy in a payment guarantee dispute in respect of the chartering of a floating production storage and offloading unit by the field operator against the FPSO owner.
- Advising CalEnergy on all commercial and legal aspects of its host selection process to export field fluids and raw gas from the Platypus field operated by Dana Petroleum and located offshore the UK Southern North Sea.
Addleshaw Goddard's national energy team is a key name among national and independent oil companies, mid-stream companies, private equity investors and financial institutions. The firm has recently won new mandates in the international upstream oil and gas arena with the arrival of Rory Connor from King & Spalding LLP, who joined alongside Martin Stewart-Smith from Bracewell (UK) LLP and former Pinsent Masons LLP corporate finance partner David McEwing, who heads up the Aberdeen team. Leeds-based Richard Goodfellow and John Emerton are highly recommended, as is Angus Rollo in London. Guy Winter departed to Fasken in late 2019.
‘The team is always available and focused on addressing our issues as soon as possible. We are extremely happy with advice to-date, and their industry experience has proved invaluable during our acquisition transaction and after.’
‘Very knowledgeable about the industry and their advice has helped us navigate a very tricky acquisition process effectively. In particular David McEwing has been extremely helpful.’
Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC)
Waldorf Acquisition Co.
Scotia Gas Networks (SGN)
- Advising NPDC on the financing of the exploration and development of upstream oil and gas assets in block OML 13, in the Niger Delta.
- Advised Waldorf on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Endeavour Energy UK Limited.
- Advised BP on its further investment in global solar developer Lightsource BP to create a 50:50 JV structure between BP and Lightsource management.
Focusing on corporate transactions for clients listed on the Main Market and AIM market, Armstrong Teasdale - which acquired London firm Kerman & Co in early 2021 - handles public and private M&A, debt and equity financings, disputes and commercial contracts. Joan Yu, Una Deretic, and group head Peter Kohl are well versed in cross-border M&A, venture capital matters and capital markets transactions in the oil and gas space.
Applegreen Plc / Petrogas
Baron Oil Plc
Columbus Energy Resources Plc
Empyrean Energy Plc
Midway Resources International
United Oil & Gas Plc
Victoria Oil & Gas
- Advised United Oil & Gas Plc in respect of the proposed acquisition of Rockhopper Egypt Pty Ltd from Rockhopper Exploration Plc for a consideration of $16m.
- Advised Empyrean Energy Plc in connection with a £10m equity placement facility with Long State Investments Limited, a Hong Kong Based energy and resource focused investment company.
- Assisted Victoria Oil & Gas plc with a new equity fundraising.
Bird & Bird LLP handles all stages of oil and gas developments, from pre-exploration issues through to exploration, appraisal, development, operation and decommissioning matters. As chair of the international energy and utilities sector group, Matt Bonass specialises in public and private M&A, private equity matters, venture capital work and equity capital markets transactions. The wider practice also includes capital markets and corporate finance lawyers Clive Hopewell and Nick Heap.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP assists oil and gas clients across the full supply chain with issues ranging from upstream exploration and production mandates and oilfield services issues to midstream transportation work, trading and marketing matters and downstream distribution work. Robert Pitcher and Jubilee Easo co-head the team, specialising in corporate transactions, flotations, projects and joint ventures. Greg Hammond departed to Dentons.
Paul Airley and Nigel Gordon jointly lead the energy and natural resources department at Fladgate LLP, which has a strong focus on handling corporate matters for global energy clients, in particular M&A transactions, financings and capital markets work. David Robinson focuses on multijurisdictional projects, financings and transactional mandates.
Other key lawyers:
PennPetro Energy plc
Caspian Sunrise plc (formerly Roxi Petroleum plc)
Cenkos Securities plc
Angus Energy plc
Sirius Petroleum plc
Eco (Atlantic) Oil & Gas Ltd
Blake Holdings Limited
- Advised AIM and TSX-V listed Eco (Atlantic) Oil & Gas Ltd on a $17m fundraising by way of an oversubscribed placing and subscription.
- Advised Angus Energy on a £3m placing and £500,000 open offer, and also advising on the acquisition of a 51% interest in a licence and operatorship of an existing UK onshore gas field, Saltfleetby.
- Advised Cenkos in connection with a placing in both the UK and Australia for 88 Energy Limited, which was implemented by way of an accelerated bookbuild.
Ince has particular expertise in assisting contractors in the offshore oil and gas industry. Group co-heads Chris Kidd and Gillie Belsham are both highly adept in the offshore sector, particularly in matters involving the construction and operation of vessels and floating platforms, and energy disputes. Alexander Janes, who leads the EMEA team, joined from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (UK) LLP, strengthening the group's capabilities in complex cross-border energy and infrastructure projects in emerging markets.
Other key lawyers:
‘A lean and tight-knit team steeped in both industry and arbitration experience.’
- Advised Golar on several FSRU and FLNG projects and project finance transactions, including a $1.3bn FLNG conversion finance of the existing LNG carrier “Gimi” into an FLNG unit for use in the Greater Tortue / Ahmeyim Field offshore Mauritania and Senegal by BP for phase 1 of the project.
- Representing Pacific Drilling, a former New York Stock Exchange-listed company focused on deepwater oil drilling, in a highly contentious case concerning the construction of a drilling unit called the Pacific Zonda.
Memery Crystal LLP draws on its extensive cross-departmental expertise to handle corporate and equity capital markets transactions, with particular expertise in listings on AIM and the Main Market, secondary fundraisings and dual listings. Nick Davis and Michael Dawes are both highly regarded natural resources ECM lawyers with experience working in complex emerging markets.
Aramco Overseas Company
Gulf Keystone Petroleum
- Advised VAALCO Energy on the admission of its shares to the Standard Segment of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised Valeura Energy Inc on its admission to the LSE’s Main Market.
- Advised 88 Energy on a farmout and bookbuild.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP has notable expertise in advising developers and lenders on oil and gas projects, corporate transactions and international financings. The group was recently bolstered by the arrival of Ayesha Waheed and Jennifer Josefson, who joined from Latham & Watkins and King & Spalding LLP respectively. Practice head Bruce Johnston and Olivier Chambord make up the core team.
‘Ayesha Waheed is recommended – commercial and pragmatic in approach and always a pleasure to work with. Strong on large multi-source project financings – with a focus on lender side work.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Republic of Suriname
PT Well Harvest Winning Alumina Refinery
New Development Bank
Abu Dhabi Fund for Development
- Advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on a $100m financing to be provided to Turkey’s Enerjisa Enerji for capital expenditures of its electricity distribution companies.
- Advised Well Harvest Winning Alumina Refinery PT, Indonesia’s only smelter-grade alumina refinery, on the project financing of Phase 2 of an alumina plant.
- Advised US investor Alpha Energy on the acquisition of Third Energy Onshore Limited’s onshore gas exploration and production assets.
Squire Patton Boggs has recently expanded its energy capabilities with the addition of Peter Stewart from Clyde & Co LLP in early 2020, who added his extensive experience advising national oil companies and state entities on upstream oil and gas infrastructure projects in emerging markets to the practice; he is also well versed in exploration and production agreements, gas supply arrangements, financings, petroleum regulations, farmouts and international arbitration proceedings. Ian Wood and Trevor Ingle jointly lead the group, which also includes Ben Holland, who is an experienced advocate in multinational energy disputes.
‘Fast feedback on enquiries with preliminary analysis even in the first email. Direct contact with executive lawyer not only with partner which is speed up the process. Advise and support on first stages even before commercial issues agreed. Support from colleagues in other jurisdictions in cross-border cases even in countries where the firm does not have own office.’
‘Ben Holland is very responsible and has a wide outlook and knowledge of technical matters which is important in cases where high tech equipment is the subject.’
Guyana Department of Energy
National Oil Company of Liberia
Overgas Inc. AD
Pall Mall Oil and Gas
- Advising the Guyana Department of Energy on a variety of matters related to its relationship with international oil companies and the first oil production in the country’s history.
- Represented Overgas Inc AD and related group companies in a benchmark decision on a strike out application in London Commercial Court proceedings flowing from an ICC arbitration award.
Norwegian firm Wikborg Rein is predominantly focused on the energy, offshore and shipping sectors, often with a Norwegian law angle. The firm demonstrates strength in the regulatory aspects of the oil and gas industry, project development matters including FPSO projects, corporate transactions, oil service contracts and decommissioning work. Managing partner Chris Grieveson, Jonathan Goldfarb, who specialises in the development and finance of offshore energy projects, and LNG expert Renaud Barbier-Emery are the key figures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is deal-oriented and always strives to get the contract to reflect the transaction at hand. They are meticulous with the legal details, but do not get bogged down in them.’
‘The accessibility of the partners make the firm a pleasure to work with. Whether they are traveling, working from home or in the office the response time is always top notch. Having the confidence that in an urgent situation you can reach knowledgeable legal resources is a huge help.’
‘Renaud Barbier-Emery is a world class lawyer in the field of offshore drilling. He has in-depth knowledge of the applicable legal frameworks, as well as a wealth of experience that he can draw from.’
- Advised AG&P on its long-term charter from the Abu Dhabi National Oil Co of a Floating Storage Unit for AG&P’s new LNG import terminal located within Karaikal Port in Puducherry, India.
- Assisted Awilco LNG with the repurchase of two LNG carriers out of existing sale and purchase arrangements and into two new sale and leaseback financings with CCB Financial Leasing Co. and advised on the related registration requirements with the Norwegian International Ship Registry.
- Acted for BW Gas Ltd on the provision of a Floating Storage and Regasification Unit as part of the first integrated Liquefied Natural Gas-to-Power project at the Port of Acajutla in the Department of Sonsonate in El Salvador, led by Invenergy and its project subsidiary Energía del Pacífico.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP recruited new practice head Matt Lewy from Baker Botts (UK) LLP in early 2020, following the departure of Paul Stockley to Fieldfisher. The firm has substantial expertise in M&A, investments, joint ventures and financing transactions across the Middle East, Africa and North America, while also being well versed in North Sea and onshore shale gas operations. Simon Hewes and Anna Soroko are the other key figures in the team.
‘Hard working, switched on, good legal skills and pleaseant to work with. Perfect cross-UK and cross-Atlantic practice.’
‘Eminent practitioners. Super friendly, personal and attentive.’
Babcock Offshore MCS Aviation
Chariot Oil & Gas
National Tube Stockholders (NTS)
Noble Energy, Inc.
- Advised Third Energy Holdings Limited, a specialist in the production and exploration of gas reserves, on the divestment of the entire issued share capital of Third Energy Offshore Ltd to Anglo-Dutch oil company Hague and London Oil plc.
- Negotiating and drafting a suite of agreements for the transportation and processing of third party natural gas and associated liquids within the Nawara System, infrastructure built primarily for use by the Nawara concession, Tunisia.