Allen & Overy LLP‘s team of ‘highly skilled professionals with extensive experience in the field of oil and gas’ frequently advises on the entire lifecycle of large-scale projects, through planning, construction, financing and operation, and on to refinance and sale. The group has strong credentials across the globe, including in Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific and also African markets. Dispute resolution in the oil and gas industry is another core pillar of the team’s practice. Team leader Troy Edwards has extensive experience advising governments, lenders, developers and contractors on privately and publicly financed energy projects. John Geraghty is noted for for cross-border M&A, joint ventures and project development.
Oil and gas in London
Allen & Overy LLP
Other key lawyers:
John Geraghty; Mark Levy KC; Mark Walker; Alexander Chenery
‘The practice consists of highly skilled professionals with extensive experience in the field of Oil and Gas. It excels in negotiating deals involving ECAs by staying up-to-date with every particular regulation and compliance requirements associated with ECA-backed deals.’
‘They have a strong and established relationship with ECAs allowing them to get to know their particularities.’
TAPI Pipeline Company Limited
Chevron Global Energy Inc
Carlyle Group and GIC
Noble Energy Mediterranean Ltd, Delek Drilling LP
Ratio Oil Exploration 1992 LP
- Advising the Financiers on a project financing for the greenfield construction of an olefin complex in the Port of Antwerp, Belgium. This hybrid financing involves a combination of different debt tranches with several tranches that will be directly backed by the largest export credit agencies.
Ashurst‘s specialist oil and gas team is well-known in the market for it’s deep sector expertise, advising on major UK and international projects across the full value chain including upstream, midstream and downstream. M&A, joint ventures, financing, commercial agreements and dispute resolution are among the core specialisms of the ‘excellent team’. Practice leader and global co-head of energy Michael Burns is an expert in M&A, joint ventures and major project development. Upstream oil and gas financing specialist Huw Thomas has over 30 years experience in the space, while Quentin Robinson is praised for his ‘total mastery of the oil & gas industry’. In May 2023, the team was further bolstered by the arrival of Sanja Udovicic and Julia Derrick from Shearman & Sterling LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Huw Thomas; Geoffrey Picton-Tubervill; Yann Alix; Matthew Saunders; Matthew Wood; Philip Chong; Sanja Udovicic; Julia Derrick
‘The team at Ashurst is very knowledgeable, has a deep understanding of the market and is able to highlight, explain and proffer solutions for a range of commercial issues in a manner that show an understanding of client needs.’
‘Matt Wood has an innate ability to explain in simplest terms and offer solutions to complex commercial and finance related issues that arise on transactions.’
‘Quentin Robinson – total mastery of the oil & gas industry (both from legal and commercial perspective) and a very efficient lawyer. An absolute pleasure to work with.’
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)
- Acting for OMV as lead counsel in relation to its sales process to divest its exploration and production assets in the Asia-Pacific region. The divestment is intended to include OMV’s 50% stake in the issued share capital of SapuraOMV in Malaysia and 100% of OMV New Zealand.
- Acted for Serica Energy plc on the proposed acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Tailwind Energy Investments Ltd, for a combination of consideration shares and cash, equivalent to £367 million, based on Serica’s closing price as of 19 December 2022.
- Advised EnQuest PLC (together with its subsidiaries, “EnQuest”), an independent oil and gas production and development company listed on the London and Stockholm stock exchanges, on its US$500.0 million reserve-based lending facility (the “RBL”) as part of the refinancing of its debt facilities.
Known for its ‘deep oil and gas sector expertise’, the team at Baker Botts (UK) LLP is well regarded for its strong track record on upstream, midstream and downstream work, including cross-border transactions, large-scale projects, and dispute resolution in the space. The group places particular emphasis on liquified natural gas and advises on premium LNG projects – Mark Rowley is a key name for such work, with his practice also focusing on upstream developments and cross-border pipelines. Rob Butler is also an important name in the LNG space and in the upstream and midstream oil and gas sectors. Alex Kerr comes recommended for project development matters.
Other key lawyers:
Rob Butler; Shashank Krishna; Alex Kerr
‘In-depth technical LNG experience. They understand the industry and can therefore very well assess the risk-reward structures. Involvement in a lot of recent and current LNG SPAs which means they understand what is “market”.‘
‘Alex Kerr – excellent knowledge of the LNG value chain. Good technical and drafting skills, so can turn documents around in real time.‘
‘Extremely knowledgeable and in touch with industry and market developments. Very good team, and expertise in related areas as well.’
‘Alex Kerr, Julie Mayo (on the other side of negotiations), Rob Butler – excellent and thorough.‘
‘Deep sector (oil and gas) expertise which gives them the ability to be influential with governments and national oil companies.‘
‘Mark Rowley – great business perspective allows him to get to the core issues quickly. Leads a HQ, integrated legal team.‘
‘Alex Kerr – recent partner, excellent in conceptualizing agreements and drafting, while also having a demonstrated ability to lead meetings and use his strength of argument to win the day.‘
Australia Pacific LNG
Securing Energy for Europe (SEFE)
Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation
Nippon Koei and RNKUKI
Harland & Wolff
- Advised ConocoPhillips in relation to the signing of two agreements with QatarEnergy to supply long-term liquefied natural gas (LNG) to Germany – the first ever long-term LNG supply agreement between Qatar and Germany.
- Advised Ineos in connection with contracting for long-term LNG import capacity at the German LNG Terminal in Brunsbuettel.
- Advised TPDC and the Government of Tanzania negotiation team in relation to the development of the planned $30 – 40 billion natural gas and LNG project.
Clifford Chance LLP is well known for its ‘excellent market knowledge, technical strength and sector expertise’ when it comes to oil and gas work, and is frequently instructed by oil majors, major independents and leading financial institutions on corporate, financing and dispute resolution matters. The team regularly advises sponsors and lenders on complex construction and procurement arrangements across oil and gas projects, alongside providing specialist advice on ESG issues. London-based practitioners Graham Phillips and Alex Panayides head the practice group together with Sydney’s Nadia Kalic. Phillips is the key name for M&A, joint ventures and private equity transactions in the sector, whilst Panayides chairs the firm’s global dispute resolution practice for the oil and gas, and construction sectors. Energy and resources sector head Russell Wells is praised for his ‘enormous experience and valuable insight on strategic points’; he handles high-end commercial, corporate and finance work in both the oil and gas sectors.
Graham Phillips; Alex Panayides; Nadia Kalic (Sydney)
Other key lawyers:
Russell Wells; Sachin Trikha; Audley Sheppard KC
‘Clifford Chance provided M&A legal assistance on a sell side process, involving several counterparties, on a very specific business area, based on a multi jurisdiction trasaction. Clifford evidenced deep business knowledge and creativity to solve a multi unknown equation to the benefit of its client.’
‘Graham Phillips ensured constant involvement on the critical phases, always keen on credible creativity.’
‘Excellent market knowledge, technical strength and sector expertise. Deep experience at senior levels. Strong precedents and know-how support. Able to deliver the largest and most complex cross-border deals.’
‘Russell Wells has enormous experience and valuable insight on strategic points. Very user-friendly and accessible.’
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)
Midwestern Oil & Gas Company
- Advising Midwestern Oil & Gas Company Limited on its proposed reverse takeover with San Leon Energy plc. Midwestern’s shareholding in San Leon will be increased from 13.18% to up to 55% in accordance with the relevant share-for-share transactions.
- Advising on the Northern Lights CCS (carbon capture and storage) project in northern Europe, including the development of the transportation and storage agreements.
- Advised Genser Energy, a US-based integrated energy services provider operating in West Africa, in respect of its USD 425m financing which includes USD 325m syndicated senior loan facilities and a USD 100m mezzanine loan facility.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP remains among the leaders in the space, well-recognised in the marketplace for its full-service capabilities in the oil and gas sector. In particular, the team excels on energy M&A work, alongside an emphasis on oil and gas financings – with particular strength acting for lenders, borrowers and project sponsors in upstream financings and complex upstream and midstream project finance work. Specialisms in HSSE, ethics & compliance, sanctions, construction, cyber, tech, tax and insurance bolster the group’s offering in the space. Practice head Lewis McDonald has significant experience throughout the energy value chain, particularly upstream oil & gas, LNG, power and renewables. Seasoned litigator James Baily is the go-to name on the team for contentious matters, with his experience including cross-border disputes related to major energy projects. Head of global arbitration Paula Hodges has over 30 years experience advising on international disputes in the space, whilst Reza Dadbakhsh focuses his practice on the oil and gas, LNG and power sub-sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Paula Hodges; Reza Dadbakhsh; James Baily
Latham & Watkins‘ large-scale energy and infrastructure practice group is well-experienced throughout the oil and gas sectors, drawing on the firm’s global reach to act on multi-jurisdictional mandates with a particular emphasis on African and Middle Eastern markets. Core pillars of the multidisciplinary practice include M&A, leveraged buy-outs, project finance, litigation, environment and sanctions. Experienced practitioner Simon Tysoe leads the group, with his practice emphasising cross-border work including oil and gas M&A, joint ventures, restructurings, and project development. Sam Newhouse is a go-to name for high-value public and private M&A transactions and joint ventures. Finance partner Craig Nethercott left for Clifford Chance in autumn 2023.
Other key lawyers:
John Balsdon, Sam Newhouse; David Ziyambi; Jennifer Engelhardt; Evelyne Girio
‘The team is familiar with us as a company and with individuals on our in-house team – so they are able to tailor their approach depending on the individual in-house lawyers on the deal it makes them super user friendly.’
‘Great global coverage, huge experience in LNG.’
White & Case LLP ‘s London-based oil & gas team sits within the firm’s wider energy practice and is therefore well placed to advise high-end clients across the full spectrum of work from complex oil & gas M&A to project finance and disputes, alongside acting on critical energy transition mandates. Michael Watson is an expert across the energy spectrum and advises on large-scale projects. He now co-leads the team in conjunction with Philip Stopford after Mark Clark left the firm in February 2023. Stopford has more than 40 years of experience advising on complex oil & gas transactions. Pre-eminent practitioner David Baker is an important point of contact for project development matters, receiving praise for his ‘wonderful mixture of deep industry knowledge with humility and pragmatism’. Project and international finance expert Jason Kerr is highlighted as a ‘key problem solver and thought leader’ in the sector.
Michael Watson; Philip Stopford
Other key lawyers:
David Baker; Mukund Dhar; Jason Kerr; Allan Taylor
‘Stand out partners including Mukund Dhar who is exceptional’
‘White & Case’s legal team has over the years proven their expertise in LNG work. Their pragmatic, proactive, and committed approach, coupled with their best-in-class industry expertise shines above the rest in this legally complex sector. I wholeheartedly recommend White & Case to any organisation in need of top-tier legal representation for their LNG projects and transactions.’
‘In the complex world of LNG, having a reliable and knowledgeable legal partner is crucial for success. David Baker, a partner at White & Case, has been the linchpin behind our positive experience with the firm’s legal team. His exceptional performance and expertise played a pivotal role in achieving the outstanding results of our LNG operations in recent years. David worked seamlessly with our in-house legal team and other stakeholders.’
‘Carina Radford is fantastic. I would have her on every one of my deals if possible. Incredibly pragmatic and fantastic to have in the trenches with you when dealing with challenging counterparties.’
‘Top tier law firm with excellent industry and regional knowledge.’
‘Jason Kerr is a key problem solver and thought leader.’
‘The White & Case team is genuinely collaborative in their approach and by far the easiest of the leading legal firms to work with.’
‘David Baker is a stand out partner for me as he combines a wonderful mixture of deep industry knowledge with humility and pragmatism. Unlike some of his competitors he is always happy to help develop his clients’ understanding, rather than just focusing on providing legal advice. He also embodies the collaborative spirit that I see as a key source of differentiation for the firm.’
Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco)
Lenders to Chevron and NNPC – Project Panther
Lenders to Advanced Polyolefins Company
Seplat Energy Plc
Macquarie Asset Management
NAIC and OCP – Basic Chemicals Platform project in Nigeria
Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, HSBC, Jefferies and BofA
KazMunayGas landmark IPO
- Advised the Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) on a long term, US$15.5 billion infrastructure transaction with a consortium of investors led by affiliates of BlackRock Real Assets and Hassana Investments to optimise Saudi Aramco’s gas pipeline network through a lease-and-lease-back arrangement.
- Advised the lenders in connection with a US$1.4 billion loan to Chevron and Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) (acting as joint venture parties) to help monetise reserves, increase production and support the energy transition through the production of gas for domestic supplies.
- Advised Macquarie Asset Management on its acquisition of a 60 percent stake in National Grid plc’s UK gas transmission and metering business in a consortium with institutional investors.
Bracewell (UK) LLP‘s core oil & gas practice is extremely active across the sector, with the team’s deal flow seeing high-profile transactions in the space. The London-based team continues to advise oil & gas companies on business-critical energy transition matters, alongside leveraging the vast experience of the disputes practice to advise on international arbitration and litigation arising out of energy projects. Managing partner and practice head Jason Fox has more than 35 years of experience as an energy finance lawyer, focused on upstream oil & gas. He is praised for his ‘exceptional knowledge of the industry, with corresponding advice’. Olivia Caddy advises oil and gas upstream debt financings, with particular experience in reserve-based lendings. Adam Blythe is experienced across the upstream, midstream and downstream spectrum in M&A, project development and other commercial arrangements in the industry.
Other key lawyers:
Darren Spalding; Alastair Young; Eimear Murphy; Adam Blythe; Olivia Caddy; Ronen Lazarovitch
‘Very strong team in relation to RBL financing for oil & gas companies. Exceptional industry knowledge and commercial insight as well as the professional legal advice you would expect. We have never had an issue with their work or advice, would highly recommend.’
‘Jason Fox has exceptional knowledge of the industry, with corresponding advice. Very hands-on as a partner and does not just hand out work to associates without knowledge or his own input.’
BP Exploration Operating Company Limited and Eni S.p.A.
Savannah Energy Plc
Impact Oil & Gas
Sungara Energies Limited
The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
Petraco Oil Company Limited
Seplat Energy Plc
NEO Energy Group Limited
- Advised Eni S.p.A and BP Exploration Operating Company Limited combined all of their Angolan oil and gas assets into a new incorporated joint venture.
- Representing Savannah Energy Plc on its acquisition of Exxon’s entire interest in the Doba oil field in Chad and its shareholding in the Chad-Cameroon Pipeline and floating, storage and offloading vessel for a total consideration of up to $407 million.
- Advising Impact Oil & Gas on the proposed sale of its Namibian assets. These materials include the blocks containing the Venus discovery, which is believed to be sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest ever oil discovery.
The energy practice at Dentons works across the oil & gas energy value chain and provides a full-service offering to clients that encompasses projects, disputes and financing as well as regulatory, commercial and corporate advice. Expertise in LNG, upstream, midstream and downstream as well as in the blue hydrogen space are core features of the ‘highly specialized and experienced’ team’s service portfolio. Highly experienced transactional energy lawyer Humphrey Douglas heads the department; renowned practitioner Charles Wood is known for designing commercial and regulatory frameworks for market reform and large-scale energy projects; and Colm Ó hUiginn comes recommended as a ‘first class lawyer with exceptional ability at delivering to the client’s needs both in terms of technical legal analysis but also an astute commercial understanding of the industry’.
Other key lawyers:
Charles Wood; Liz Tout; Colm Ó hUiginn; Christopher McGee-Osborne; David Tennant; Torquil Law
‘Profound knowledge and very long track record of energy industry and energy infrastructure.’
‘Colm O hUiginn is a first class lawyer with exceptional ability at delivering to the client’s needs both in terms of technical legal analysis but also an astute commercial understanding of the industry and our strategic objectives. He has a friendly but persuasive style that secures trust and respect from all parties in the negotiation. We have also worked closely with consultant David Tennant who is highly experienced in the sector.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable, experienced and competent. They easily understand the key issues and are able to give highly valued advice and present good solutions. In addition, the team responds quickly and with very good quality on request. Furthermore, they deliver on time with a good result.’
‘The individuals are very experienced and knowledgeable. They know the business and they are very professional.’
‘The individuals are positive and service-minded and always seek to find the best way to solve an issue or dispute. They work hard and have strong problem-solving skills.’
‘Highly specialised and experienced team.’
‘Torquil Law is extremely dedicated and makes significant efforts to understand how our business works to adapt his approach to the legal advice given.’
Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
Acorn consortium (Pale Blue Dot (a Storegga Earth company), Shell, Harbour Energy, NSMP)
Government of India
FirstCaribbean International Bank (Barbados) Limited (FCIB)
- Advised one of central Europe’s largest national energy utilities, CEZ (Czech Republic), in relation to its taking capacity at a new FSRU in the Netherlands.
- Advised Petronas on the sale of its 15.5% interest in the Shah Deniz gas field, one of the world’s largest gas-condensate fields, and associated offshore pipelines in Azerbaijan in a transaction valued at $2.25 billion.
- Advised Wintershall Dea on its agreement for the expansion of their interest in the Algerian Reggane Nord gas project by acquiring Edison International’s entire 11.25% participating interest.
DLA Piper’s oil & gas offering rests on an ‘extremely busy and well-drilled team, doing market-leading work’. The group acts on the entire range of contentious and non-contentious matters at each level of the value chain, providing a full-service practice with global reach. It leverages its global network to act on cross-border matters with a particular emphasis on mandates pertaining to emerging markets in Africa. James Carter heads the department, specialising in corporate and commercial disputes related to oil and gas, while Nacim Bounouara advises on project development and finance-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
Nacim Bounouara; Tracey Renshaw; Felix Ndi-Obiosa; Iain Elder, Jean-Pierre Douglas Henry, Charles Allin; Edward Shaw
‘Broad, applicable knowledge of the energy space.’
‘Perfect mix of knowledge and practical application to get things done (Iain Elder).’
‘Probably the best litigation firm in London at the moment, backed up by massive resources to service client needs in almost any area. Cunning strategists who can adopt whatever approach best suits the client’s needs, be it highly aggressive all the way through to concilliatory. Also adept at media management in high profile cases.’
‘Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry is just a beast of a litigator with an intellect to match his stance. Charles Allin is always one step ahead of the opposition, a hugely talented lawyer who works unbelievably hard in tenaciously fighting his client’s corner. Both have huge experience on the ground in West Africa and the Middle East, local knowledge of culture and operating conditions that are invaluable (in my humble opinion).’
‘DLA have an extremely busy and well-drilled team, doing market-leading work in the energy sector.’
‘James Carter is an extremely hard-working, smart operator with very wide-ranging experience across the full range of energy disputes.’
‘The team, led by Ed Shaw, has highly sought-after expertise in the oil and gas industry, namely a specialisation in energy infrastructure. What is so unique about Ed is he covers both the operational side of disputes in this area, but also has a complete grasp of the critical economic issues that arise and really matter to energy companies. For example the money value of LNG regasification capacity when there is a capacity dispute under competing regasification contracts at an LNG terminal.’
‘Ed Shaw. He is an outstanding lead partner and already a senior statesperson in oil and gas disputes. He does not yet enjoy the profile he should, no doubt because so many of his matters are confidential arbitrations.’
UGI International LLC
- Advising YAATRA Africa as the lead private sector developer and representative of a consortium also comprising Saipem, Baker Hughes and LionWorks Group (the Albertine Graben Energy Consortium) on the development and financing of the 60,000 barrel per day greenfield Albertine Graben oil refinery in Uganda.
- Advised UGI Corporation on the sale of assets by AvantiGas ON Ltd to British Gas Trading Limited in connection with its business of on-grid supply of natural gas to companies in the United Kingdom.
- Advising the Government of the Republic of North Macedonia, via its Ministry of Economy, in developing a public-private partnership for a hydrogen-compatible natural gas distribution system in North Macedonia.
Hogan Lovells International LLP acts for participants throughout the entire oil & gas sector, utilising the firm’s global reach to advise across Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. The team handles a full suit of matters, from advising on large-scale projects to anti-corruption advice, with particular expertise in disputes, especially high-value arbitrations. Co-head of the energy & natural resources group Sarah Shaw is vastly experienced in upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas M&A. Head of the oil, gas & LNG group Ben Sulaiman acts for the firm’s high-end clients in the space on transactional and regulatory matters. Ben Hornan is the go-to name on the team for disputes work in the oil, gas and mining sub-sectors.
Sarah Shaw; Ben Sulaiman
Other key lawyers:
CNOOC E&P Nigeria Limited
Shah Deniz Consortium: BP, SOCAR, Petronas, Lukoil, TPAO, NICO.
UK Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- Advised longstanding client Sojitz Corporation, a global energy player with specific expertise in the gas and power infrastructure sector, on its 25% investment in Helios, the holding company of Axxela Ltd, the largest private sector gas distributor in Nigeria.
- Advising the UK Government (Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, now Department of Energy Security & Net Zero) on the special administration, funding and sale of Bulb Energy.
- Advising as sole project counsel for the entire Consortium, led by BP and SOCAR, on the US$40 billion Shah Deniz 2 Gas Project and Southern Gas Corridor.
King & Spalding LLP advises across all aspects of the oil and gas sector including upstream, midstream, LNG, downstream and petrochemicals, and is well-experienced advising through the entire life cycle of major projects. Nikhil Markanday is a key name for major oil & gas projects including refinery, LNG, and cross-border pipelines. Martin Hunt is highly experienced on M&A, acquisitions and joint venture transactions in the sector. On the contentious side, Thomas Sprange KC and John Savage KC are go-to names for international arbitration and litigation arising in the oil & gas space.
Thomas Sprange KC; John Savage KC; Nikhil Markanday; Martin Hunt
Other key lawyers:
Nina Howell; Kelly Malone
‘My experience with the team is limited to a single international nuclear power project over the past five and a half years. The project is highly complex and the first of its kind in the host country. K&S has done an excellent job of staffing the project with subject matter specialists in power project development, project finance, nuclear regulatory issues, local law issues, international treaty and sanctions and other relevant matters. Very few firms with whom I have dealt in 50 years of in-house practice can match K&S in capability and experience required to manage a project of this complexity and sensitivity.’
‘Collegiality across offices internationally; accessibility and responsiveness; ability to work effectively with and manage other firms serving the client.’
‘K&S Team is approachable and is quick to respond.’
‘The team from King & Spalding was a very skilled and focused team, able to provide excellent guidance and input to the client throughout the process. All team members were incredibly responsive and engaged in detailed discussions around approach and strategy. There was a clear knowledge across the team of not only the legal issues, but the relevant industry issues as well.’
‘Tom Sprange and and Sajid Ahmed were engaged closely with the matter throughout and had a very detailed and clear understanding of all of the relevant issues. There was never a sense that any of the team were ‘dipping in’ to the work and they retained an incredibly detailed knowledge of all matters throughout and were able to provide key insights from this. The team was also incredibly diverse and all members of the team were excellent.’
‘Partner level focus.’
‘Nikhil Markanday is a very hands-on and contactable partner. Better than common partner in pitch meeting and then leaving work to associates.’
‘The team at King and Spalding is very unique specifically on how they come up with strategic plans and timely delivery. They integrate and relate very well with their clients and create a very comfortable environment during meetings regardless of the tensions faced during moments, where hard decisions are taken, this is a unique quality, as it helps clients focus better.’
Emirates Energy & Water Company (EWEC)
Emirates Global Aluminium / Guinea Alumina Corporation SA
Future Earth, Inc.
Saudi Power Procurement Company
Korea Electric Power Company
Korea East West Corporation
Hidroelectrica de Cahora Bassa
- Advising NEOM Company on all aspects of the development and project financing of a US$8.5 billion green ammonia export project in NEOM, Saudi Arabia.
- Advised the Saudi Power Procurement Company on a highly complex corporate carve-out from Saudi Electricity Company.
- Advising KEPCO, a South Korean power company, on the project development and financing of the Jafurah co-generation project in Saudi Arabia. The project is being procured by Saudi Aramco as a captive facility as part of Saudi Aramco’s wider USD$ 20 billion Jafurah Gas Field development project. Pursuant to the ECA, KEPCO will build, own, operate and transfer at the end of the term an electricity, steam and water cogeneration facility.
Linklaters LLP’ integrated cross-practice group fields a deep bench primed with industry expertise and the capability to handle M&A, joint ventures, commercial contracts and financings across the breadth of the entire oil & gas sector. Mark Russell heads the infrastructure practice and specialises in project development, M&A and joint ventures, and trading. Head of oil & gas sub-sector Daniel Tyrer is vastly experienced in upstream oil and gas, LNG, pipeline, refinery and petrochemical plant related project development, and global financing transactions.
Daniel Tyrer; Mark Russell
Other key lawyers:
Ben Carroll; Elisabeth Johnson
National Grid plc
Mirfa International Power Company PJSC
- Advised National Grid on its private M&A auction sale of a 60% stake in its gas transmission business (“NGG”) and gas metering business to a Macquarie-led consortium for £4.2bn.
- Advised Bapco, the flagship refining company wholly owned by the Kingdom of Bahrain (KoB), on the US$4.2bn multi-source conventional (including ECA-backed) and Islamic financing of its circa US$6.5bn expansion and upgrading project.
Experienced energy lawyer John Dewar heads a team at Milbank which sees a full suite of infrastructure, oil & gas, transitional energy, renewables, power, and gas-to-power deals, whilst focusing on lender and sponsor-side representation. The London-based team collaborates closely with its New York counterpart to place considerable emphasis on work arising out of the Americas, particularly Brazil. The team saw a couple of changes with experienced energy and infrastructure lawyer Matthew Brown joining from Latham & Watkins in May 2022, while Matthew Hagopian retired in June 2022. Munib Hussain is a key name on the financing side and was promoted to partner in January 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Brown; Munib Hussain
Standard Chartered bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance,
Japan Bank for International Cooperation and International Finance Corporation
Green Investment Group (Macquarie Capital)
West African Power Pool
New Fortress Energy
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
International Finance Corporation
Gas Natural Açu
Export-Import Bank of Korea
Public Investment Fund, Saudi Arabia
Apollo Investment Management
Sovereign Fund of Egypt
H2 Green Steel
Rob Marsh heads the long-standing energy, infrastructure and natural resources practice at Norton Rose Fulbright. The team represents oil majors, developers, investors and government bodies on the entire project lifecycle including M&A, capital markets raisings, project finance and dispute resolution in the space. Holly Stebbing is the go-to name for litigation and contentious matters, receiving praise as a ‘a first class lawyer, and a strategic thinker’.
Other key lawyers:
Holly Stebbing; Charles Whitney; Alistair Black; Charez Golvala; Hussain Kubba
‘Commercially aware, excellent at communicating with clients and external advisors (counsel), technically strong. One of the best in London.’
‘Holly Stebbing is a first class lawyer, and a strategic thinker.’
‘Incredible range of knowledge across the energy sector combined with highly personable and emotionally intelligent individuals practising law at an exceptionally high and effective level in vastly complex legal/commercial settings.’
‘Charez Golvala: Unique combination of exceptional abilities to interrogate, understand and communicate complex issues in a structured and understandable fashion to non-specialists, unlimited passion for the law, incredible work ethic and close to 24-7 availability, superb analytical skills, vast network, patient, personable and above all an absolute pleasure to work with over a prolonged period.’
National Bank of Greece S.A.
Africa Finance Corporation
- Advised Brightfield Trading on the structuring of a €570m syndicated repo facility led by Brightfield for Gunvor Group, focusing on natural gas storage across Europe.
- Advised the National Bank of Greece S.A. on the EUR 450 million financing of a floating storage and regasification terminal off the coast of Alexandroupolis in Northern Greece. The financing includes a EUR 283 million bond loan and a EUR 166 million state grant. It covers the construction of the floating storage and regasification terminal, which will regasify natural gas and transfer it onto Greece and other areas of south-eastern Europe.
- Acting for Esso Exploration and Production UK Limited as a co-defendant with Shell U.K. Limited and BP Exploration Operating Company Limited to Commercial Court proceedings brought by Apache North Sea Limited relating to Apache North Sea Limited’s provision of decommissioning security in respect of UKCS Blocks 21/9a, 21/.10a and 22/6a in the North Sea.
Pinsent Masons LLP
The ‘best in class’ team fielded by Pinsent Masons LLP retains its strong oil & gas offering known for handling cross-border material M&A transactions and associated financing arrangements, as well as a leading oil & gas equity capital markets practice. In 2022, the team acted for Ithaca on its £2.5bn IPO. Rosalie Chadwick leads the team and acts on high-end corporate finance transactions. Chadwick is supported by senior partners Bruce McLeod and Akshai Fofaria . M&A, infrastructure and joint venture expert McLeod is described as ‘very commercial and client focused’ whilst dual-qualified English and French lawyer Fofaria chairs the firm’s Africa group, advising on transformational projects and major transactions in the continent. Paul McGoldrick left the firm in April 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Akshai Fofaria; Bruce McLeod; Katharine Davies
‘Deep industry expertise, very user-friendly and supportive, and responsive.’
‘Rosalie Chadwick is exceptionally knowledgeable and plugged into the upstream industry. In addition, she is commercially sensible, does not over-lawyer and is great to work with.’
‘Really strong partners that are very client friendly.’
Delek Group / NewMed Energy
Suncor Energy Inc
Pharos Energy plc
Government of Tanzania and ALSF
TotalEnergies (we are also on the UK panel)
Scirocco Energy plc
Jersey Oil & Gas plc
Sound Energy plc
Capricorn Egypt plc
Oriental Energy Resources Limited
- Advised Ithaca Energy plc on its £2.5 billion IPO and premium listing on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, raising gross proceeds of £262.5 million.
- Advised Delek Group, which is listed on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, in connection with the proposed US$1 billion+ combination between its subsidiary, NewMed Energy and Capricorn Energy PLC, creating a MENA gas and energy champion and one of the largest upstream energy independents listed in London.
- Acting as lead counsel to Italian O&G major Eni S.p.A on its acquisition of bp’s business in Algeria.
Shearman & Sterling LLP’s full-service oil & gas team advises its international client base on projects and transactions throughout all stages of the value chain, including upstream, midstream and downstream. On the contentious side, the group is well supported by the international arbitration and litigation teams to advise and act as counsel on a broad range of disputes in the space. Practice head Ben Shorten is an experienced project development and finance lawyer, particularly on transactions across EMEA and Asia. Julia Derrick and Sanja Udovicic left the practice to join Ashurst in May 2023; John Inglis retired in September 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Esso Italiana S.R.L
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)
The Dow Chemical Company
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
- Advised KfW IPEX on amendments to key project documents to provide for facilities and services to be shared with UTE GNA II Geração de Energia S.A.
- Advised Esso Italiana S.R.L who entered into a sale and purchase agreement for the disposal of Esso’s Italian downstream fuels business to Italiana Petroli S.P.A.
- Advised Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) in relation to the acquisition of a 25% shareholding in Borealis AG from Mubadala Investment Company.
Known as a ‘very strong team with superb communication and commercial advice’, Slaughter and May handles large-scale transactions and projects arising out of the oil & gas sectors and remains particularly strong on corporate M&A matters. Hywel Davies leads the team, with his practice emphasising both public and private M&A, and joint ventures in the sector. Project finance expert Steven Galbraith is another important point of contact.
Other key lawyers:
Steven Galbraith; Oly Moir; Alex Dustan
‘Slaughter & May have unmatched experience on M&A, corporate and financing matters relevant to mining companies. They have advised us on mining matters over the last two decades and have been nothing short of excellent. They have smart people who delivery commercially focused solutions.’
‘Alex Dustan is exceptionally smart and provides great service.’
‘Excellent awareness of the sector, great legal and commercial knowledge. Able to anticipate and pre-empt complex challenges. Good practical solutions adopted, with very pragmatic approach.’
‘Hywel Davies. First class lawyer.’
‘The strength of the team is their ability to see and understand the broader commercial framework and requirements such that the advice they provide is appropriate and covers all the different aspects of the work. The team also have seamless access to other practices within Slaughter and May such that other specific legal or commercial points can be quickly addressed.’
‘We have worked closely with Hywel Davies the senior partner in the practice and he has shown the breadth of both legal knowledge and corporate requirements set against his wider understanding of the commercial and economic demands. He has been supported by Oliver Moir.’
‘Very strong team, with superb communication and commercial advice. Level of professionalism exhibited by all lawyers we have dealt with at S&M is second to none. Easy advisor to work with and can get on with work scopes involved whilst maintaining focus on commerciality and service to client. On the more expensive end of the scale for legal advice, but we have seen that you get what you pay for and cannot fault them on any of the projects we have worked on together, on the contrary they have significantly assisted in certain projects, so it is a worthwhile investment.’
‘Oly Moir has incredible attention to detail for a partner and a very hands-on attitude. Capable of knowing the detail and also re-focusing on the key commercial requirements to assess the impact of potential issues. Very organised and excellent communication. Hywel Davies – superb industry and public markets knowledge.’
PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited
BlueNord (formerly Noreco)
Waldorf Production Limited
Vinson & Elkins RLLP has a robust track record on the traditional oil & gas side, acting for a broad range of industry participants on the full lifecycle of projects and transactions. The team also advises in the energy transition space, including on maters involving hydrogen, battery storage, biofuels, LNG and carbon capture – to name a few. Managing partner of the London office, Alex Msimang, jointly heads up the team alongside head of global projects Nabil Khodadad . Msimang is a key name for M&A transactions; Khodadad is a project financing expert. Andrew Nealon comes recommended for his advisory work on project development in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Nabil Khodadad; Alex Msimang
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Nealon; Alistair Wishart; Nadine Amr; Lauren Davies
‘The team has a very good knowledge of our business, how we operate, our values and culture, being able to provide a tailor made advise considering all those aspects. They are always available to support in different time zones, providing a high quality advice.’
‘It is always a great pleasure to work with Alex Msimang and Nadine Amr. They are very highly qualified and provide accurate advice.’
‘The V&E team works closely together and provides excellent back up to each others strengths/knowledge base – a very well balanced team.’
‘The main differentiator is that the team try to find solutions rather than simply finding problems. Special mention should go to Andrew Nealon, Nabil Khodadad, Alistair Wishart and Lauren Davies.’
‘V&E has a unique expertise in energy industry, and particularly, in project finance. We have engaged V&E to work on a multi-billion and multi-party greenfield financing and construction project. Thanks to their thorough knowledge on the subject, V&E team has been instrumental in managing many aspects of this project, and brought many breakthrough solutions to complex legal issues. We retained V&E for several other financing projects for our businesses which were successfully delivered. V&E has been very efficient in applying their accumulated knowledge of our business into structuring and executing new deals for our benefit.’
‘I have been working with the team led by Nabil Khodadad and Lauren Davies for a multiple of projects over the last 10 years. Over these years we have developed very valuable trust-based relationships. The V&E team we have been working with has always stood out for their commitment to the client and its goals, have always been responsive and provided quality advice. We extremely value the willingness of our V&E main contacts to run an extra mile for us.’
‘The team is very competent and a problem solver. They have improved solutions to all bottlenecks. They act as business partner of our company.’
‘They are very good negotiators, always problem solvers and very responsive to our requests. They always have a comprehensive understanding of the deal and tailor-made solutions.’
Impala Terminals Group
Apollo Global Management, Inc.
Origem Energia S.A.
ADNOC Drilling Company P.J.S.C.
Woodside Energy Ltd
ShaMaran Petroleum Corp.
STAR Rafineri A.S.
Petkim Petrokimya Holding AS
Quantum Energy Partners
OCI Clean Ammonia LLC
Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP
Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC
Uz-Kor Gas Chemical, LLC
Ministry of Investment, Industry and Trade of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Acted for ITG3 Sa rl, a Luxembourg based subsidiary of ITG (a joint venture between Trafigura and IFM Investors), and its subsidiaries , in relation to its acquisition of a global portfolio of energy infrastructure and storage terminal assets from Puma Energy, a Swiss-based integrated global energy group majority owned by Trafigura.
- Advised funds managed by Apollo in relation to the sale by New Fortress Energy Inc. (NFE) of 11 liquefied natural gas (LNG) infrastructure vessels to a newly formed venture owned approximately 80% by Apollo funds and 20% by NFE.
- Represented Origem, a Brazilian energy company operating in the upstream, midstream and power generation segments, in a competitive private M&A process to acquire from New Fortress Energy (NFE) and its joint venture partner Ebrasil Energia Ltda.
Akin handles a broad range of work in the oil & gas industries, including major corporate transactions and joint ventures, restructurings, project financings, litigation, arbitration and disputes, and international trade, sanctions and public policy matters. The team is headed up by Shaun Lascelles , Alex Harrison, Justin Williams and Simon Rootsey.
Shaun Lascelles; Alex Harrison; Justin Williams; Simon Rootsey
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Carwood Barron
‘The team has considerable in-depth experience in all traditional upstream oil and gas areas as well as in the more transactional areas (farm-outs, corporate deals etc.). The team is strong and capable and is prepared will give a commercial view along with legal advice. Drafting is excellent. Where this team is a cut above the rest of the field is in its responsiveness and availability: always available and always quick to respond.’
‘Alex Harrison stands out as a fine example of constant availability and rapid response. He has considerable experience in the field, is commercially minded and is both efficient and an effective responder.’
‘Akin Gump’s services are well known for being very client-oriented, prioritizing client attention and agility of responses.’
‘Our firm has worked closely with Akin who have consistently demonstrated incredible response time for client requests and an in-depth knowledge of the oil & gas industry’s particularities.’
Vitol (via subsidiary VIP II Blue B.V)
Aspect Holdings LLC
The Ad Hoc Committee of Noteholders of Nostrum Oil & Gas Plc
Ad hoc group of new secured noteholders of Seadrill New Finance Limited
Dommo Energia S.A.
- Advised Vitol subsidiary VIP II Blue on its acquisition of the outstanding shares in $2.3 billion London-based African oil business Vivo Energy Plc.
- Advised in relation to the financial restructuring of Nostrum and its outstanding debt liabilities. The restructuring involves a deleveraging debt for equity swap, corporate reorganisation and cross-border recognition.
- Advised the unsecured bondholders of Seadrill Ltd in the company’s 2017 bankruptcy having filed for Chapter 11 in September 2017 with a debt load of $10.9 billion. The company emerged from Chapter 11 in 2018 and a deal was reached that recapitalised the company with in excess of $1 billion of cash, equitized $2.3 billion in debt and re-profiled an additional $5 billion of debt.
Baker McKenzie is well placed to advise it client base of major oil & gas players on the full breadth of contentious and non-contentious matters, including construction, project development and finance, M&A and disputes. Richard Blunt , Steve Abraham and Andy Moody jointly lead the team. Blunt focuses on energy sector M&A, joint ventures, private equity and project development.
Richard Blunt; Steve Abraham; Andy Moody
Other key lawyers:
Neil Donoghue; Mike Webster
‘Exceptional service provided – with team members very much on top of everything and proactive in their approach to work/projects.’
‘Superb individuals and partner worked with very much a “warrior” for client during tough negotiations.’
‘Excellent responsiveness, good knowledge of energy and in particular gas matters Flexible. Willing to find solutions and close deals.’
African Export-Import Bank (“Afrexim”)
PETRONAS Chemicals Group Berhad
PKN ORLEN S.A.
PTT Public Company Limited
SLB (Schlumberger Limited)
Tailwind Mistral Limited/Tailwind Energy Limited (“Tailwind”)
Tokyo Gas Co. Ltd
- Acted as lead legal advisor to PKN ORLEN S.A. in connection with the acquisition by the PKN ORLEN Group entities of a network of 185 fuel stations in Hungary and Slovakia from MOL Group.
- Advised Galp on the strategic sale of its upstream assets in Angola by way of competitive auction process to SOMOIL – Sociedade Petrolífera Angolana S.A., with transaction proceeds expected to reach c.USD 830 million.
- Acted as legal adviser to PETRONAS Chemicals Group Berhad with an international team consisting of 155 lawyers in 25 offices across four continents – including subject matter experts, local experts and industry experts.
Praised for ‘demonstrating a profound understanding of legal needs and commercial oil & gas realities’, the team fielded by Fieldfisher is equally adept on the transactional side – including M&A, equity capital markets, financing and commodity transactions – as well as in disputes arising out of the oil and gas sectors, including in the English and international courts. Project development and regulatory matters are also core focuses of the practice which is headed up by Paul Stockley who has over 25 years experience in the space.
Other key lawyers:
Dominic Gurney-Champion; Brad Isaac; Nodir Sidikov
‘For more than a decade, Fieldfisher has been our trusted legal counsel. Nodir Sidikov providing advice to us, has emerged as an invaluable advisor, consistently offering practical solutions and expert advice to our group on oil & gas deals, which often include complex, politically charged, and sensitive matters. The team he leads has consistently displayed a diverse range of exceptional skills across different team members, demonstrating a profound understanding of legal needs and commercial oil & gas realities.
‘Nodir Sidikov, corporate partner at Fieldfisher, has been a valued and trusted advisor to our company, its parent company and subsidiaries since 2010s. Nodir consistently assists us in overcoming the obstacles encountered by us. His profound historical knowledge and comprehension of our business, coupled with his astute sensitivity to the delicate political and international dynamics involved, make him an invaluable advisor. We hold Nodir in high regard for his ability to provide exceptional advice on sensitive and complex legal matters, and he consistently delivers practical and effective solutions to our commercial challenges.
‘Field Fisher provide advice on on all manner of land rights required for our pipelines, and terminal assets / interfaces (including advising on conflicts large utilities installations and infrastructure projects being carried out pursuant to compulsory powers). Along with supporting advice from other departments. The Field Fisher team consistently give advice that is energy specific as opposed to “one size fits all” and provide a tailored joined up service to our company. A highlight this year has been the opportunity to embed a field Fisher trainee in our business further enhancing the partnership between the two organisations.’
‘Team availability and knowledge.’
‘Paul Stockley has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is an obvious go-to for oil & gas and renewables. With his previous time spent in-house, he understands the needs of the client and works extremely well with all members of the in-house team (legal, commercial, technical).’
‘Paul has excellent, in-depth knowledge about the complete oil and gas picture in the UKCS – from the regulatory aspects to issues of dispute, from greenfield to decomm/recycling, and from front end to back end works. Just a great one-stop shop for any company which needs guidance in the market.’
‘Paul Stockley – He exudes this competence and confidence based on knowledge, capability and emotional / social intelligence that is just hard to describe. It is something you feel, and is very reassuring as a client.’
INEOS Upstream Limited (and nine others)
JSC “National Company “KazMunayGas”
Allenby Capital Limited
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited and Canaccord Genuity Limited
British Pipeline Agency (a joint venture between BP Oil UK and Shell UK) as agent for United Kingdom Oil Pipelines (UKOP)
Serica Energy plc
Europa Oil & Gas
JSC “Sovereign Wealth Fund “Samruk-Kazyna”
Cooperatieve KMG EP UA
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher acts for major oil & gas clients on complex, large-scale transactions and projects, with a particular emphasis on decomissioning structuring and advising clients exiting the UK North Sea. The team is also strong in commercial arbitration and litigation focusing on energy, natural resources and related infrastructure. Practice head Anna Howell is a specialist in complex oil, gas and LNG matters, whilst Mitasha Chandok handles M&A, joint ventures, project development and financing work.
Other key lawyers:
Penny Madden KC; Cyrus Benson; Piers Plumptre; Mitasha Chandok
‘The firm provides timely and practical legal advice that takes into account the commercial aspects of matters.’
‘Anna Howell has a broad-range of knowledge and expertise in international oil & gas matters, and does a great job of providing legal advice while taking into account the commercial aspects of matters.’
‘Anna Howell and the GDC energy team have a rare combination of cutting-edge M&A expertise and operational energy know-how. They are also diverse and inclusive as a team, which I really value.’
Haynes and Boone CDG, LLP advises clients on high-value and multi-jurisdictional matters spanning upstream, midstream, and downstream work, including exploration, infrastructure development, M&A transactions, regulatory issues, and decommissioning. Practice leader Glenn Kangisser is a specialist in the space; upstream exploration and production are his key focuses.
‘Exceptional capability and knowledge of upstream energy sector law in support of operations and commercial activities. Exceptional quality of legal advice and support provided in always a timely (within 24 hours) response. Billing always fair and have never been challenged throughout the multiple years of working closely with them. Instrumental in providing negotiation strategy/tactical support across various commercial workstreams (including gas marketing).’
‘Haynes and Boones Oil & Gas team in the UK has a deep understanding of the legal, commercial and practical issues involved in upstream and downstream transactions.’
‘An incredibly “user friendly” team, who make genuine efforts to understand client drivers/ pinch points, to enable advice to be delivered in a tailored fashion and in an understandable format. They understand that the advice will be read by non-lawyers and adjust the messaging to suit. Very pro-active with instructions, with an ability to think outside of the box in complex matters and with a willingness to provide creative solutions. We consider their team members to be “thought partners” in a variety of instructions.’
Mayer Brown International LLP is noted for possessing ‘unrivalled experience of the full oil & has value chain, with the bench strength to advise on M&A, projects, ECM, disputes and commercial matters’. The team is frequently instructed on strategic mandates involving both public and private M&A, alongside debt and equity fundraising in the up, mid and downstream spaces including refining and petrochemicals. On the contentious side, the team has the capability to handle international litigation and arbitration. ‘Outstanding practitioner’ Bob Palmer co-heads the team and is a go-to name for global oil & gas upstream and midstream projects and transactions, including M&A. Fellow co-head Rob Hamill is an expert in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
Bob Palmer; Rob Hamill
Other key lawyers:
Mark Stefanini; Luiz Aboim; Rachael O’Grady
‘The Mayer Brown team has an unrivalled experience of the full oil & has value chain, with the bench strength to advise on M&A, projects, ECM, disputes and commercial matters.’
‘Bob Palmer is an outstanding practitioner, and one you want on your side of the table. Rob Hamill is calm, immensely experienced and knowledgeable. On the disputes side, Mark Stefanini is a superb.’
‘Extremely competent and always available to sort out problems or developing new ideas how to get a deal done.’
‘They are acting like it would be their own project means thinking and finding solutions for practically every thing, but in a very discreet way.’
Vaalco Energy, Inc.
Capricorn Energy PLC
Seplat Energy plc
Karoon Energy Ltd
Viaro Energy Limited/RockRose Energy Limited
- Advised PETRONAS on the sale of a subsidiary holding its upstream business in South Sudan to Savannah Energy plc for £1.25bn.
- Advised VAALCO Energy on its business combination with TransGlobe Energy Corporation to create a world-class African-focused E&P Company listed in New York and London.
- Advised Klesch Group on the acquisition of the Kalundborg refinery and related assets in Denmark, together with its subsequent inventory financing and factoring.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons‘ practice is noted for its ‘unique combination between industry experience and common law expertise’ and advises on large-scale cross-border oil & gas projects including on acquisition, development, financing and disposal. International arbitration and dispute resolution are other core specialisms of the team which is headed up by Iain Duncan who has extensive experience of advising on complex projects and transactions in the resources sector. Adam Cooper is a key name for work in emerging markets, whilst Patrick Wallace has over 30 years experience in the space and is known for providing ‘intelligent, practical and very useful legal solutions’. The group was bolstered by the arrival of ECM and natural resources expert Alexander Keepin from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner in February 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Keepin; Patrick Wallace; Adam Cooper; Andrew Petry
‘Mr Patrick Wallace was available at any time for questions and discussions – he worked during the weekends and after the working hours. He provided the necessary legal expertise on any matter we requested. He drafted all the necessary documentation and was present at each online meeting we had with the counter party. Thus he was able to analyze the next steps to be performed and the possible development as a result of these meetings.’
‘The team is responsible and capable of solving complex legal cases and to propose valuable solutions on cases of a different nature.’
‘Patrick Wallace is quite experienced, knows us as a client very well and is able to find legal solutions that take into account the client’s specific features. He has participated and been a main driver in quite complicated negotiation processes with partners in different projects. He finds intelligent, practical and very useful legal solutions.’
Gate terminal BV
Bulgarian Energy Holding EAD
National Oil Company of Liberia
EBRD, IFC, Commercial International Bank (Egypt)
Stone City Energy
Government of Kenya, State Department for Petroleum
- Advised Bulgarian Energy Holding EAD, the Bulgarian state gas company, on a number of key agreements and contracts in relation to the Greece-Bulgaria gas interconnector.
- Advising EBRD, IFC, Commercial International Bank (Egypt) in connection with the project financing of a bulk liquids terminal for the import and storage of gasoil, LPG and LNG at Sokhna Port, Egypt.
- Advising the National Oil Company of Liberia on various aspects of the country’s legislative and regulatory framework, petroleum procurement, bidding documentation, negotiations with interested international oil companies and capacity building within the public sector.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP‘s oil & gas team is ‘exceptionally knowledgable in the sector’ and is known for possessing ‘a wide breadth of experience across the industry, not only in respect of pure upstream oil and gas work but also in areas such as LNG, hydrogen and other more green sources of energy’. The group focuses on large multi-jurisdictional transactions and disputes, including advising on the acquisition and disposal of oil and gas assets, project development, investments and financing. Corporate partner Chris Kilburn leads the team and is extremely well-versed on transactions in Europe and Africa. Heike Trischmann is a key name for LNG to power projects.
Other key lawyers:
Joe Levin; Heike Trischmann; Julian Nichol; Robert Fidoe
‘Chris Kilburn – great oil and gas industry knowledge, great AIM knowledge; well respected by other AIM related service providers; accessible; always cool under pressure – keeps his head when others are losing theirs.’
‘Compact but full service oil and gas offering; partners with real expertise in the areas it’s needed, who work on the matters and engage directly with the client (rather than delegating to an associate once instructed), and who are available when you need to speak. Always practical and working towards the big picture outcome and the client’s goals. Core team of associates who are also proactive, diligent, and responsive.’
‘Joe Levin is a solution focused and adaptable finance partner with a breadth of oil and gas expertise who wants to work with and support his clients, taking a commercial approach to help ensure deals close.’
‘Heike Trischmann – highly knowledgeable and determined E&P partner who is a valuable asset for commercial O&G contracts, Heike has experience advising on matters in many different jurisdictions which helps her to bring new perspectives to transactions.’
‘Rob Fidoe – whether leading on a dispute or acting in an advisory capacity on a wider transaction, Rob’s experience across the energy sector and beyond ensures he provides comprehensive, practical, and strategic advice.’
‘The oil and gas team at WFW have a wide breadth of experience across the industry, not only in respect of pure upstream oil and gas work but also in areas such as LNG, hydrogen and other more green sources of energy which are of importance in the present day.’
‘Heike Trishchmann is one of the best I have worked with. She is down to earth and has a knack of getting right to the heart of any matter before her – both from a commercial and legal viewpoint. Her attention to detail is second to none and she understands the commercial drivers and always seeks to propose solutions which ultimately benefit the client’s business goals.’
‘Our firm is highly focussed on the natural gas and – increasingly – green hydrogen space. The direct experience of assignments in the natural gas and LNG sector of Partner Heike Trischmann has ensured that WFW are our preferred legal partner. Heike has been working with the German firm to jointly develop the Green Hydrogen offering and this has led to our firm being able to introduce additional legal expertise to enhance our own client offerings.’
BW Energy Holdings Pte. Ltd
Black Sea Trade and Development Bank
Trafigura Pte Ltd
Tenaz Energy Corp.
CalEnergy Resources (UK) Ltd
World Bank Group and the Government of Namibia
Titan Energy Holding BV (trade name: Titan Clean Fuels)
JE Energy Ltd
Beacon Energy plc
United Oil & Gas plc
Eco (Atlantic) Oil & Gas Ltd.
- Advising BW Energy on an up to US$300m new international RBL (“reserve-based lending”) facility. The facility will be used initially to further finance and develop the Dussafu license offshore Gabon.
- Advising Black Sea Trade and Development Bank (“BSTDB”) regarding an up to €90.5m loan granted to Energean Oil & Gas S.A. (“Energean”), as well an associated guarantee to be provided by the Greek State for up to 90% of the total committed investment, to develop the Prinos Basin offshore of Greece.
- Advising Trafigura on an up to US$150,000,000 facility agreement for Gran Tierra Energy with two Swiss entities from the Gran Tierra group acting as the borrowers.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner has deep sector expertise and is home to a team of specialists in oil & gas M&A – including asset deals, farm ins/outs and corporate deals – and in joint venture matters, whilst also remaining strong in dispute resolution in the space. Experienced practitioners Adam Dann and George Burn jointly lead the team. Alexander Keepin departed in February 2023.
Adam Dann; George Burn
Other key lawyers:
‘Diligent, responsive, client friendly approach.’
‘Business oriented, understand clients’ needs.’
Pantheon Resources Inc.
HELLENiQ ENERGY Holdings S.A.
SDX Energy Inc.
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited
- Advised Eni SPA, on their disposition of 4 subsidiaries undertaking operations in Pakistan, in a management buy out.
- Advised San Leon Energy PLC on its proposed reorganisation to consolidate Midwestern Oil and Gas Company Limited’s shareholdings in San Leon Energy and Midwestern Leon Petroleum Limited into a single shareholding in the Company.
- Advised on SDX Energy PLC’s recommended all-share with a cash alternative combination with Tenaz Energy Corp.
Clyde & Co
Clyde & Co is known for its strength in complex cross-border litigation and arbitration in the oil & gas sector, whilst also having the depth to advise oil & gas companies on the full range of corporate and commercial matters. Practice head David Bennett specialises in dispute resolution and international arbitration, with a particular focus on oil & gas. Mark Walsh is also a key name for such matters.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Power; Clare Hatcher; Mark Walsh; Anna Nerush
‘Anna Nerush has a unique perspective, legal knowledge and experience needed for complex oil & gas transactions across the globe. She understands the challenges her clients face and provides not only excellent legal advice but also understand the commercial issues to find the right balance and solutions.’
‘Anna Nerush is a very skilled and experienced upstream oil and gas projects lawyer. She understands the industry like few, if any, other London-based lawyer do. I trust her with my projects work because she knows what she is doing.’
Apache North Sea Limited
- Represented Apache in an application before the Commercial Court in London seeking an interim injunction against Esso, bp and Shell. The dispute between the parties arises out of a decommissioning security agreement relating to Apache’s interests in the Forties and the Brimmond Fields in the North Sea.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP advises governments, state-owned companies, national oil companies and regulators in the energy industry. The team is particularly known for it’s work in Nigeria, acting on both traditional oil & gas projects alongside transition work which includes renewable energies such as hydrogen. ‘Excellent upstream oil & gas lawyer’ Marc Hammerson heads up the practice group.
Other key lawyers:
Tony Edwards; Ryan Hansen
‘Flexible hard-working team that finds solutions to issues. Works collaboratively and have excellent industry contacts in all aspects of the business.’
‘Industry knowledge and contacts.’
‘Great industry knowledge and practical support and advice.’
‘Marc Hammerson. Very calm and gives helpful, practical advice.’
‘Marc Hammerson is an excellent upstream oil & gas lawyer. He understands deal metrics perfectly and has a common sense approach.’
Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. – PETROBRAS
Republic of Uganda
Republic of Kazakhstan
RAK Gas LLC
First Hydrocarbon Nigeria management and shareholders
Harps Holdings Pte Limited
Gaza Power Generating Company LLC
ACP Energy Plc
Ernst & Young LLP
Ernst & Young LLP has strong experience in emerging markets and on cross-border transactions, with expertise spanning project finance and development, M&A, joint ventures, and regulatory issues. Highly experienced energy lawyer Charles Morrison heads the department which includes Dimitri Papaefstratiou who advises major international clients in complex energy and infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
Dimitri Papaefstratiou; Simon Collier; Rob McNabb; Harry Brunt
HFW advises oil & gas majors on the full spectrum of work encompassing the entire value chain, with notable experience on offshore projects and LNG-related matters. Alistair Mackie heads the team and specialises in projects and commercial work in infrastructure, energy and terminals.
Sembcorp Marine Rigs & Floaters PTE LTD
Constellation Energy (formerly Exelon Generation)
Klaipedos Nafta (KN)
- Advising Qatargas, the world’s largest supplier of LNG, which is a Qatar Energy (the former Qatar Petroleum) subsidiary, on its vessel acquisition project, which forms a key element of the expansion of its North gas field.
- Advising client on amendments to a bareboat charter and services agreement in relation to a floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) operating on a field in which the client is an equity partner; subsequently, advising on proposals for the acquisition of the FPSO by a new owner, and a new operation and maintenance agreement for the FPSO.
- Advised Navigator Gas, the owner and operator of the world’s largest fleet of handysize liquefied gas carriers, on its joint venture with Greater Bay Gas Co, intending to acquire a total of five ethylene vessels which are currently commercially managed by the Luna Pool.
K&L Gates LLP acts for clients across the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas sectors on both non-contentious and contentious matters. Corporate partner Paul Tetlow leads the team alongside experienced oil & gas lawyer Jeremy Farr who is praised as ‘a first class lawyer with a strong commercial, solution-orientated approach’.
Paul Tetlow; Jeremy Farr
Other key lawyers:
Ben Holland; Charles Lockwood; Clare Kempkens; James Green
‘International reach. Breadth of experience across the team. Strong on use of technology (information and billing) hubs which shares openly with client.’
‘Jeremy Farr is a standout partner. A first class lawyer with a strong commercial, solution- orientated approach. Works easily with all members of the client team and management. Highly responsive and always adds value to the question at hand.’
‘Charles Lockwood also worth a special mention.’
‘Ben Holland is great consultant. He is very knowledgeable, highly educated and well versed in the energy sector.’
‘Extremely commercial, very easy to work with and brilliant service.’
‘Paul Tetlow is very human, quick witted and personable individual – you would be happy to be stuck in a lift with him.’
‘The team is know for: fast feedback on enquiries with preliminary analysis even in the first email; direct contact with executive lawyer not only with partner which is speed up the process; advise and support on first stages even before commercial issues agreed; and support from colleagues in other jurisdictions in trans border cases even in countries where the firm does not have own offices.’
‘Ben Holland is a very responsible and have wide outlook and knowledge in technical matters which is important in cases where high tech equipment is the subject.’
Longboat Energy Plc
PKN Orlen S.A.
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited
Deltic Energy PLC
Glencore Energy UK Ltd
Shelf Drilling Ltd
Uniper Global Commodities
Bumi Armada Berhad
- Advised Shelf Drilling on the USD375 million acquisition of five jack-up drilling rigs from Noble Corporation.
- Advised Deltic Energy PPLC on its placing and open offer funding.
- Advised Uniper Global Commodities on the urgent preparation and negotiation of a Terminal Use Agreement and related documentation for the Wilhelmshaven FSRU LNG terminal.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP remains strong in financing and transactional work, whilst having the strength in depth to handle contentious matters, including litigation, arbitration and regulatory issues. Ayesha Waheed leads the team and acts for developers and lenders in oil and gas, power generation, and infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
Bruce Johnston; Olivier Chambord; Jennifer Josefson; Allison Soilihi
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Noted for its ‘depth of knowledge’, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP 's oil and gas practice draws on the firm's strength in contentious work with a demonstrable track record in high-value and high-profile international litigation and arbitration work for large multinationals. ‘Excellent lawyer’ and practice head Ted Greeno has considerable experience in oil and gas industry disputes.
‘The team at Quinn Emanuel working on oil and gas matters has strength and depth. The team at Quinn Emanuel has impresses with its skill and depth of knowledge both of the relevant law and of the detailed facts of each case.’
‘What makes this team unique is its lead partner, Ted Greeno. He is an exceptional lawyer with an great gift for understanding the points that will put pressure on the other side, not just legal points but practical and presentational points that depend on his acute assessment of how the arbitral tribunal will react to particular submissions and arguments.’
Port Clarence Energy Limited
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP‘s London-based oil & gas offering is well-placed to act on the full suite of work in the space and is known for its ‘experience in the whole value chain of various oil & gas projects’ whilst handling high-end cross-border M&A and regulatory matters on behalf oil and gas majors. Prajakt Samant leads the team, which also includes James Atkin who comes recommended as a ‘highly capable energy and LNG lawyer with strong industry knowledge’.
Other key lawyers:
James Atkin; Wei Wei
‘The team is well known for its diversity and collaboration without compromise on integrity and ethics. Experience in the whole value chain of various oil & gas projects including LNG. They could see what is really important to the client in piles of documents and based on the particular case of the client. The team also has core members from different cultural backgrounds. Literally and metaphorically, they speak and write in the client’s language.’
‘James Atkins and its associate Wei Wei not only could identify what are risks to the client in a transaction, but tell the difference based on the particular case and needs of the client. Thanks to its experience and expertise in the LNG business, the client could always count on them to provide practical and creative solution to resolve concerns or make commercial decisions comfortably and consciously.’
‘James Atkin is a highly capable energy/LNG lawyer with strong industry knowledge.’
Wikborg Rein‘s London-based contingent has demonstrable expertise across both contentious and non-contentious oil and gas matters, including projects work and disputes. The team also has a particular specialism in marine & offshore recycling, focusing on FPSOs. Team leader Jonathan Goldfarb is a go-to name for LNG projects, receiving praise as among the ‘leading practitioners when it comes to all matters relating to floating production units’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly diversified group, who are extremely hard working and always available. They come up with innovative solutions to complex problems. I also believe you get great value for your money.’
‘Strong knowledge of our industry, fast working and very experienced. They are a pleasure to work with.’
‘Jon Goldfarb is exceptionally knowledgeable in a wide spectrum of Offshore Oil & Gas contracting issues and one of the leading practitioners when it comes to all matters relating to floating production units. Renaud Barbier-Emery has a considerable in-depth knowledge and experience and covers a broad range of matters for us, as do the other members of the team.’
Deutsche ReGas GmbH & Co. KGaA
Vantage Holdings International
- Advising NYSE-listed Transocean in handling of contractual matters arising in the course of the construction and delivery of two ultra-deepwater, 20k psi mobile offshore drilling rigs, the cost of which is expected to exceed USD 2.25 billion.
- Acted for Deutsche ReGas on the development of the ‘Deutsche Ostsee LNG Terminal’, the first (and so far only) privately financed LNG terminal in Germany which was developed under an accelerated timeline to ensure it would be fully operational for Winter 2022/2023.
- Acted for Teekay Corporation in connection with the decommissioning of the Foinaven FPSO, in particular the wide and complex range of regulatory applications required for such purpose, including under international conventions, EU regulations and local legislation.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP is well-known for its longstanding relationship with Chevron and is praised for the team’s ‘breadth of industry connections’ in the oil and gas sector. The group is seeing increasingly impressive mandates at all levels of the value chain, including upstream and downstream work. Greg Hammond joined from Dentons in July 2022 and co-leads the oil & gas group in conjunction with Deborah Ruff.
Greg Hammond; Deborah Ruff
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is known for its breadth of industry connections, expertise in M&A in diverse jurisdictions and willingness to spend time to understand clients perspective.’
‘The group’s international expertise and experience are solid, especially in Africa. Their practice covers a wide range of activities from financing to M&A involving all the economic chains of O&G.’
‘UK team is up to date with market developments and provides an all round service.’
‘Greg Hammond – very creative in building deal structures, engaging different counterparts to see a beneficial outcome. Excellent inter-personal skills.’
‘Greg Hammond is very personable, experienced and responsive.’
‘Greg Hammond is excellent to work with.’
Chevron New Energies
Chevron Technology Ventures LLC
- Advised oil super-major Chevron on a key investment as part of its Energy Transition strategy, namely the acquisition of a significant shareholding in Carbon Clean (the developer of the leading “Cyclone-C” carbon capture technology).
- Advised oil super-major Chevron on a key investment as part of its Energy Transition strategy, namely the acquisition of a significant shareholding in Ocean GeoLoop AS (the green tech company which uses natural vegetable matter to capture CO2 at source).
- Advised oil super-major Chevron on a wide range of international trade related matters, including sanctions and compliance issues involving all US, UK, and EU sanctions programs, export controls (technology transfers, encryption licensing, deemed exports, etc.), antiboycott, CFIUS issues and customs matters.
Aside from being recommended for its 'specific knowledge of UK LNG contracts', Addleshaw Goddard's oil and gas practice has a focus on emerging markets and is noted for its 'growing reputation in the Nigerian and wider African market'. The national offering is headed by ‘excellent‘ upstream oil and gas and LNG specialist Paul Jones, and M&A and joint venture specialist Angus Rollo, both from the London office, as well as David McEwing, who is experienced in debt and equity funding of oil and gas projects, from the Aberdeen office.
Paul Jones; Angus Rollo; David McEwing
‘I like that Addleshaws is not only expanding its footprint in Africa, but is also building a diverse deal team that includes more Africans – representative of its growing reputation in the Nigerian and wider African market.’
‘The team are extremely knowledgeable, easy to work with and are experts in their field. They achieve very short deadlines and are a pleasure to work with. The team have excellent technical and commercial knowledge, and can stand-up to much larger law firms on M&A transactions. The firm also offers excellent IT solutions and capability, including AI, which is welcomed.’
‘Paul Jones is an excellent partner. Having worked in the industry, he understands how to deliver concise information in tense environments. He has handled a number of complex matters with us, moving expertly between these on very short timescales. He is a hugely trusted and valued resource and feels like an extension to our team.’
‘The firm shows a good commitment to the international oil & gas sector, particularly in Nigeria. Clients come back to them repeatedly in this space, and the firm seems to be determined to lead in this area.’
‘Specific knowledge of UK LNG contracts.’
- Advised independent producer Waldorf Production on four transactions which signed or closed with a combined value in excess of $1bn (including the acquisition of the entire UK upstream portfolio of Hungary’s MOL Group), and on the successful close of a $200m secured Oslo bond.
- Advised NNPC (the Nigerian national oil company) on a major $3bn funding and technical services agreement to explore and develop assets, the first agreement of its type in Northern Nigeria, as well as the restructuring of another $600m upstream financing transaction and a proposed $900m asset acquisition transaction.
- Advising bp on the development of a major green hydrogen project in Oman.
Armstrong Teasdale is noted for its experience in ECM matters in the oil and gas space, particularly on behalf of companies quoted on the Main Market and AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. Joan Yu and Peter Kohl jointly lead the team: Yu is a go-to name for flotations, secondary issuances and RTOs on AIM for oil and gas companies, whilst Kohl is an expert in M&A, venture capital, capital markets and corporate governance matters in the space.
Joan Yu; Peter Kohl
Other key lawyers:
United Oil & Gas plc
Baron Oil Plc
Empyrean Energy Plc
Victoria Oil & Gas Plc
- Advised AIM quoted Baron Oil Plc on its £5 million equity fundraising and a separate retail offer launched to existing shareholders through a REX trading platform.
- Advised United Oil & Gas Plc on its proposed sale of two U.K. Central North Sea assets to Quattro Energy Limited.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton‘s deal flow includes cross-border work spanning multinational projects, M&A and divestures, project financings, and other petroleum and petrochemical related transactions. Practice head Christopher Moore is an international arbitration expert, particularly post-M&A disputes in the energy sector.
Gide Loyrette Nouel LLP is well known for its Africa-based transactional work in the oil & gas space, receiving praise for its bench of ‘sophisticated and industry-experienced professionals’. Practice head Colin Graham is a corporate and commercial specialist who is well-versed in international gas and LNG projects in particular.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Oil and Gas practice is the home of sophisticated and industry-experienced professionals. I have always been impressed by the details of their oil & gas knowledge.’
‘Colin Graham always offers detailed knowledge of the oil&gas industry. The information and insights he maintains on the development of the natural gas industry is very impressive.’
Delta Offshore Energy
- Advising Delta Offshore Energy on the development of a 3200 MW gas-to-power project in Vietnam to be supplied by an integrated LNG import project. The gas to power plant in Vietnam will be the first project of this kind in this country which still relies heavily on coal to produce electricity.
- Advising a France-based project developer on the contracts relating to the development of an electrolyser plant to produce green hydrogen for delivery to a co-sited chemical plant.
- Advising a German trading company on a proposed long-term offtake of advanced biodiesel to be produced by a new-build project in Portugal.
Hill Dickinson LLP
Hill Dickinson LLP‘s multi-disciplinary practice group is noted for being ‘very creative and efficient in providing solutions’. The team represents a broad range of clients from oil and gas majors to junior explorers and developers. Experienced oil & gas oil lawyer Roderick Palmer leads the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very creative and efficient in providing solutions. They always have a resource to apply and achieve the goal. They are disruptive when requested and carry out a correct risk analysis.’
‘They are full available 24 hours. The Shipping activity is very dynamic and of all the studios I work with they are the only ones that support me 24/7.’
ADES Saudi Limited
Advanced Energy Systems A.D.E.S. SAE
Reabold Resources PLC
Forum Energy Services Limited
Helium One Global LTD
UK Oil and Gas PLC
ACP Energy PLC
Zakher Marine International Inc.
Block Energy PLC
- Advised ADES on its $204,000,000 acquisition of Emerald Driller Co. (the owner of various jack-up oil rigs operating offshore Qatar) from Vantage Holdings International.
- Advised AIM-listed Reabold on the sale of its investee company, Corallian Energy Limited, to Shell UK Limited for £32,000,000.
- Advised Forum in respect of the sale of subsidiary, Saltfleetby Energy Limited, to AIM listed Angus Energy PLC for £14,000,000.
Keystone Law‘s broad energy practice covers the full range of transactional oil & gas work but remains particularly strong at advising on regulatory issues. Richard Temple is notably experienced in both African and North Sea oil & gas deals. Other key figures include Fei Mao, who comes highly recommended by clients. Stuart Carter has left the firm
Other key lawyers:
Fei Mao; Richard Temple
‘We are highly appreciate Fei Mao’s special work philosophy and efficient service.’
‘We are satisfied very much with Ms. Mao’s working level and service ability; due to she always gives us a feasible solution no matter what the case takes any unforeseen changes. Also, she always has a fast, efficient reaction for us no matter where she is.’
Genel Energy UK Services Limited
Impact Oil & Gas
Calon Energy Limited (formerly a subsidiary of RWE Generation)
North Sea Natural Resources
Schlumberger Oilfield UK PLC
African Petroleum (now PetroNor E & P Limited)
Metron Energy Applications S.A.
Trafalgar Oil and Gas
- Prepared and negotiated a storage and offtake agreement for TGL Warehouse Management Limited where the counter-party will be an entity controlled by the Ethiopian Government. The term of the Agreement will be 25 years and relates to storage capacity of 1.5 MT.
- Advised on Genel Energy UK Services Limited’s template joint operating agreement used in their international transactions worldwide.
- Assisted Impact Africa Limited in advising on a seismic matter.
Locke Lord LLP
Locke Lord LLP has the capability to handle M&A, capital markets transactions, financing, regulatory issues and litigation arising out of the oil & gas industry. Co-heads Kevin Atkins and Matthew Daffurn are go-to names for cross-border upstream acquisitions and divestitures, and project development and corporate work in the energy sector, respectively.
Kevin Atkins; Matthew Daffurn
Memery Crystal focuses on equity capital markets for international oil & gas companies, advising particularly on listings on the Main Market and AIM, alongside secondary fundraisings and dual listings. Seasoned practitioner Nick Davis solely heads the team, after co-head Michael Dawes joined Bird & Bird LLP in May 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Zephyr Energy PLC
- Advised Zephyr on a conditional fundraise which consisted of a £12 million equity Placing, and received an approved commitment for US$28 million senior debt facility from a long-established North Dakota-based commercial bank.
- Avising Royal Helium, a Canada-based company focussed on the exploration and development of primary helium in southern Saskatchewan, on its proposed admission to trading on AIM and an associated fundraise. Valued at $90 Million Canadian
- Advised Chariot Limited, the African focused transitional energy company listed on AIM, on a $30 million fundraising through a conditional placing, subscription and open offer.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs represents national oil companies and states on a full range of transactions in the sector, alongside running an international gas price disputes practice. Trevor Ingle leads the team as global head of the energy and natural resources group.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Stewart; Timi Balogun; Christopher Thomson
EDF Energy Ltd
EDF Energy Supply
Regulatory Authority of Bermuda
Volta Energy Group Limited
Sumitomo Corporation IJ Systems
Toto Energy Limited
Guyana Ministry of Natural Resources
Blue Star Exploration Ghana Limited
Pall Mall Oil and Gas
- Advised the Government of Guyana – Ministry of Natural Resources in reviewing the Yellowtail Field Development Plan on legal, regulatory and compliance.
- Advised the Government of Guyana – Ministry of Natural Resources in reviewing the proposed amendment to the Liza Field Development Plan relating to the country’s landmark “gas-to-energy” project.
- Defended the Federal Government of the Republic of Nigeria in an ICSID arbitration brought by Eni subsidiaries.