Oil and gas in London
The energy and natural resources experts at Allen & Overy LLP advise the firm's enviable client roster of national oil companies (NOCs), international oil companies (IOCs), independent oil and gas companies, and funders on the entire life cycle of assets in the sector, from consenting and planning through to construction, financing and operation, and ultimately their refinance or sale. In recent highlights, Gareth Price's team continued to advise on the $6bn Bapco modernisation project in Bahrain, and the Rovuma liquefied natural gas (LNG) project in Mozambique. John Geraghty, who has extensive experience in international transactions, Andrew Castle and Troy Edwards are also key contacts. Ed Moser was recently promoted to partner and Conrad Andersen departed to Latham & Watkins.
Other key lawyers:
Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG (TAP), a joint venture between BP, SNAM, SOCAR, Fluxys, Enagás and Axpo
Palestine Energy Transmission Company Ltd
Swala Oil & Gas (Tanzania) plc
The Project Company (TAPI Pipeline Company Limited)
- Advising TAP AG, the company implementing the Trans Adriatic Pipeline project, which encompasses the development, construction and financing of a 10 bcm gas pipeline commencing at the border between Turkey and Greece, crossing northern Greece, Albania and the Adriatic Sea, and ending in Italy.
- Advised the financiers of Swala Oil & Gas (Tanzania) plc’s acquisition of up to 40% of the shares in PAE PanAfrican Energy Corporation from Orca Exploration Group, for a cash and share consideration of up to $130m.
- Advising the project company on all aspects of the Turkmenistan to Pakistan, Afghanistan and India (TAPI) gas pipeline project, including all government, construction, gas transportation and financing matters.
- Advising Eland Oil and Gas on the amendment of a $35m facility to $75m and on converting it from a term loan to a reserve based facility.
- Advising the United Nations’ Office of the Quartet on the structuring of the Gas for Gaza project.
Ashurst's oil and gas practice is trusted by supermajors, smaller IOCs, NOCs, service providers, banks and national governments to handle the full gamut of matters, including midstream and upstream M&A, alternative financing, LNG import agreements and high-stakes dispute resolution. Michael Burns co-heads the global practice and is based in London with financing expert Huw Thomas and the highly recommended Julia Derrick. Senior associate Quentin Robinson recently acted on significant project development mandates in Africa.
‘Ashurst has the capacity, team spirit and the firepower to get complex deals over the finish line within very challenging time periods’
‘The oil and gas practitioners at Ashurst proactively progress a transaction with many tasks being carried out in the background, making life for an in-house lawyer much easier.’
‘This team is synonymous with low ego excellence.’
‘Quentin Robinson always meets required timelines, and is reliable, professional and friendly.’
‘Quentin Robinson provides timely, accessible and practical advice in a straightforward and always affable manner. He is razor sharp and incredibly diligent and hardworking.’
‘Michael Burns is not only an excellent lawyer but also very commercially minded. He provides great value-added across the whole transaction, spotting issues that one normally would not expect from a lawyer. In negotiations, Michael is extremely versatile and able to adapt to different situations and to deal with challenging counterparts.’
‘One of Michael’s main strengths is his ability to build and manage cross-functional teams seamlessly.’
‘Michael Burns is a very pragmatic lawyer – a direct communicator who is easy to work with. He is a very outcome-focused practitioner and his commercial sharpness and manner make transactions run smoothly.’
‘Huw Thomas is a go-to on the financing side and Julia Derrick for oil and gas transactions. They are both easy to work with, efficient, knowledgeable and team up well with other disciplines which may be relevant.’
Kuwait Petroleum Corporation
- Advised both Kuwait Petroleum International (in its capacity as an investor in the project company) and Kuwait Petroleum Corporation (in its capacities as a supplier of feedstock and offtaker of the refined products and in relation to certain financing matters) on the Duqm Refinery in Oman.
- Acted for OMV on its acquisition of Shell’s upstream business in New Zealand.
- Advised EnQuest PLC regarding a financing agreement for $175m with funds managed by Oz Management.
- Advised Merlon International LLC in relation to the agreement to sell its subsidiary company Merlon Petroleum El Fayum Company, which owns oil and gas assets in Egypt.
- Advising Brookfield on commercial arrangements relating to the acquisition of the East-West Pipeline in India from Reliance Industries Limited.
Baker Botts (UK) LLP
Baker Botts (UK) LLP recently welcomed Lewis Jones into Mark Rowley's London team from Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP; the addition significantly bolstered a team already adept in energy and natural resources project development, project finance, corporate and M&A transactions, sanctions and trade law, and dispute resolution. The group's stellar client roster includes names such as BP, Gazprom, Petrogas, Qatar Petroleum and Rosneft, and recently expanded with the addition of new clients such as Gore Street Capital. Hamish McArdle, who has expertise in Africa and Middle East M&A and upstream development work, and senior associate Rob Butler are also noted team members.
‘This team possesses deep market knowledge, a straight-to-the-point methodology and swift response rates.’
Gore Street Capital
- Representing Steelhead LNG, the leading Canada-based energy and natural resources company focused on LNG project development in British Columbia.
Clients have continued to seek out the advice of Clifford Chance LLP's oil and gas team on a number of sophisticated, landmark disputes and transactions, such as Engie on the sale of its portfolio of upstream LNG assets to Total for $2bn. Also notable is the group's advice on sanctions, antitrust, cyber security, and large political and regulatory shifts in the economies of emerging markets. Graham Phillips and dispute resolution and arbitration expert Alex Panayides co-head the broad practice, which includes dedicated construction and environment sub-groups.
Graham Phillips; Alex Panayides
Other key lawyers:
‘Clifford Chance provides a depth of experience across sectors and this helps clients solve issues and problems that they face. The team interacts well across its business units to provide a seamless service.’
‘Graham Phillips is very user friendly – he is a real problem-solver and has an excellent knowledge of the sector. He is extremely well liked and respected by executive teams and performs to a consistency high standard.’
Kuwait National Petroleum
Trans Adriatic Pipeline
Offshore Drilling Holding S.A.
- Advised Engie on the sale of its portfolio of upstream LNG assets to Total for $2bn.
- Advised Soco International plc on its class 1 acquisition of Merlon Petroleum.
- Acting alongside the firm’s Paris office to assist a diverse lender group of international financial institutions (FIs), export credit agencies (ECAs) and commercial lenders with the financing of an 878km-long natural gas pipeline, valued at approximately €5.4bn.
- Defending a consortium of international oil companies in an ICC arbitration under English law against allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of contract in connection with the sale of an oil mining licence in Africa.
- Advising the sponsors in relation to the financing of a 400MW greenfield power and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) project that will be built near the Tema Oil Refinery in Ghana.
The oil and gas team at CMS is renowned for its work on high-profile, varied and complex deals across all aspects of the oil and gas sector, covering upstream, midstream and downstream activities, for an enviable client list of industry leaders. As part of its full-service practice, the group assists clients with alternative decommissioning liability structures, developed with in-house tax specialists. The team's close relationships with governmental and regulatory bodies also benefit its outstanding energy disputes offering. Senior partner and UK chairman Penelope Warne leads the team alongside Jonathan Woolf and Matthew Culver. On the contentious side, Robbie Leckie was recently made partner and Terry de Souza joined as a consultant from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP. Bob Palmer recently departed to Mayer Brown International LLP.
Penelope Warne; Jonathan Woolf; Matthew Culver
‘This is a first-class international upstream and M&A practice together with market-leading UK Continental Shelf upstream knowledge.’
‘The team is very strong and knowledgeable about the market and the technical aspects of energy projects.’
‘Their practical approach to legal matters sets the oil and gas lawyers at CMS apart. They are mindful of cost efficiencies and very fast to respond. They provide advice in line with the latest trends.’
‘Judith Aldersey-Williams displays market leading knowledge and expertise. She is approachable, practical, realistic and a strong negotiator.’
‘Matthew Culver is a very experienced M&A practitioner, particularly valued for his judgement and ability to close out deal obstacles.’
‘The team is very diligent and transparent. They value the account and provide an excellent and timely service.’
‘Andy Shaw is an excellent attorney with extensive experience in supply chain and oil and gas; he provides insight and practical advice.’
Korea Gas Corporation (Kogas)
- Advising BP on its acquisition of the entire share capital of Chargemaster plc, the UK’s leading operator of electric vehicle charging networks.
- Appointed to act for Taqa on the acquisition of additional interests in the Atrush field in Kurdistan from Marathon Oil, which was structured as a joint bid with ShaMaran Petroleum, a Canadian oil and gas operator.
- Advised Noreco on the English law elements of its transformational deal to purchase Shell’s upstream oil and gas business in Denmark.
- Represented Neptune E&P UK Ltd in a High Court dispute concerning the £1.5bn Cygnus Project, which provides approximately 6% of the gas consumed in the UK.
- Representing Taqa in a dispute with Amec concerning the Cladhan Field in the North Sea.
Dentons' oil and gas offering covers the full value chain both at home and abroad under the joint leadership of Danielle Beggs and David Tennant. The firm's recent caseload includes, in particular, big-ticket corporate transactions and major project development matters in challenging jurisdictions. In Aberdeen, the firm recently welcomed counsel Kenny Paton from Webber Wentzel, who now leads the oil and gas team. Charles Wood, whose areas of expertise include LNG and gas projects and sales, is also a key contact.
Danielle Beggs; David Tennant
‘The depth of experience at Dentons is almost unique in this sector. All areas of projects, energy and natural resources are covered by this team. The DNA of the firm could be reasonably said to be rooted in the “energy sector” and the firm has only gone from strength to strength.’
‘The key members of the team have stayed together over many years which is a positive sign in a profession which often sees movement of senior lawyers between firms.’
‘The Dentons team is highly skilled with a broad spectrum of experience which allows it to tailor the service to provide for our requirements. The group really makes an effort to get to know our business, which has resulted in it being recognised as a go-to firm within the industry.’
‘The team shows in-depth knowledge of the gas agreements structure and was able to bridge the gap for any commercial matters as well.’
‘Dentons is known for its human engagement, simplicity in communications, and reassuringly professional and capable approach.’
‘Liz Tout, Danielle Beggs, Charles Wood and David Tennant are the core of this group.’
‘Danielle Beggs consistently goes above and beyond to support clients when requested.’
‘Torquil Law makes a real effort to understand his clients and their requirements. He is a very impressive individual.’
Centrica Storage Limited
Energy Networks Association
Government of India
Hurricane Energy Plc
National Grid Gas
Oman Gas Corporation
- Advised Centrica Storage Limited on its entry into a construction and tie-in agreement and a processing and operating services agreement for the tie-in of the Tolmount field to the Easington terminal and for the terminal to be used as the host facility for Tolmount gas.
- Advised Noble Energy on pipeline solution for Leviathan and Tamar gas exports to Egypt.
- Advised Hurricane Energy Plc on the farm-out of 50% of its interests in the Lincoln and Warwick assets to Spirit Energy Limited.
- Advising Wintershall Holding GmbH on its acquisition of a 10% stake in the Ghasha concession, located offshore Abu Dhabi.
- Advising Indonesian state-owned oil and natural gas company Pertamina on its first joint venture agreement with Rosneft, the Russian state-owned oil company, to jointly develop the new Tuban refining and petrochemical complex in East Java.
The oil and gas team at DLA Piper is best known for upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas transactions, especially when it comes to the acquisition of producing and exploration assets, refinery and pipeline financings and acquisitions, and LNG terminals and related projects, and politically sensitive international energy sector disputes in emerging markets. The contentious facet of the practice is jointly led by James Carter and Philip Chong and has developed a significant expertise in gas pricing and pipeline rights arbitration cases for clients such as Gazprom. Charles Morrison specialises in Africa-related work, and Dimitri Papaefstratiou has extensive experience in international matters.
Charles Morrison; James Carter
‘This is a flexible and personable team which provides excellent and commercially oriented legal advice.’
‘DLA Piper has real expertise in the most complex and difficult disputes relating to energy-related projects and investments.’
‘The firm has very extensive experience in M&A projects and financing transactions across the geographies it is engaged in and provides valuable insight into the market dynamics and legal frameworks effective in those regions.’
‘This team is known for its first-class knowledge of traditional instruments, letters of credit and guarantees, as well as more complex structures. It boasts a deep legal commercial insight, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa.’
‘The DLA Piper lawyers combine huge commitment with energy and judgement.’
‘Dimitri Papaefstratiou is an excellent, knowledgeable and friendly professional who, together with a team of great lawyers, provides his valuable experience and high level of industry knowledge in high-profile international energy infrastructure mandates.’
‘Philip Chong is a standout partner, with an excellent reputation for work coming out of Russia and the CIS states as well East and South East Asia. James Carter is a hardworking and impressive younger partner.’
‘The particular partners who stand out are Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry and James Carter. Both have a huge commitment and energy combined with judgement as well as the gravitas and ability to focus a team and lead it.’
‘Dimitri Papaefstratiou’s reliability and subtle advice is something clients require when they enter into complex projects and transactions, always keeping the commercial benefits for the client in mind.’
China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau (CPP) (a subsidiary of CNPC)
Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation
Victoria Oil & Gas plc
DEFA – Natural Gas Company of Cyprus
Frontier Oil Limited
- Advised Mytilineos S.A. on the limited recourse vendor financing and the EPC contract and related contractual documentation for a 424MW combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) bridge power plant at Tema, Ghana.
- Advising Cyprus’s state owned National Gas Public Company (DEFA) on the supply of LNG to Cyprus and the procurement of the necessary infrastructure facilities.
- Advised several major onshore unconventional gas operators in the UK – including Ineos – on all planning, litigation and real estate matters.
- Acting for Gazprom in a series of SCC arbitration proceedings, as well as related Swedish court proceedings, against Ukrainian supplier Naftogaz relating to the pricing, supply and transit of natural gas.
- Advising the project company (and its shareholders) on the development of the gas interconnector from the Serbian-Bulgarian border, through Serbia up to the Serbian-Hungarian border.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP's client base includes supermajors, independents, financial buyers, traders, Asian corporates and banks. The oil and gas team, led by Lewis McDonald, who recently relocated from the Tokyo office, handles corporate, finance and specialist work. The team also has an impressive contentious offering; James Baily has expertise in cross-border and gas and LNG price review disputes, among other areas. In recent highlights, the group acted for BP in a multibillion-dollar inter-conditional UK-Alaska transaction between the client and ConocoPhillips, which constitutes one of the first such international transactions between two global energy majors in the past 20 years. Other key contacts include Reza Dadbakhsh, who handles M&A, cross-border transactions and entries into mature and emerging markets. Stephen Murray retired from the profession.
‘The Herbert Smith Freehills team has an exceptional dedicated oil and gas finance team which is well run, well resourced and capable of delivering exceptional results.’
‘Thomas Bethel and Rakhee Patel make an exceptional team – they have fantastic knowledge of their subject matter, and are proactive, creative, innovative and always willing to try to find a solution to complex issues.’
‘Steve Dalton is very responsive and knowledgeable (at high and detailed levels) of all aspects of the project he works on.’
‘Andrew Hamel-Smith has an encyclopedic knowledge of the project legal documents and the history of their evolution. This is extremely helpful.’
North Caspian Operating Company N.V.
PetroChina and Petroineos
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised BP on a multibillion-dollar inter-conditional UK-Alaska transaction between the client and ConocoPhillips.
- Advising Woodside Energy and its joint venture partners in relation to the development and project financing of the SNE Project, located offshore Senegal.
- Advised Lloyds Bank and Santander as lenders on the £358m hybrid project and leverage financing facilities to finance Antin Infrastructure’s contribution towards the construction and operation of infrastructure at the Tolmount gasfield in the North Sea.
- Advising Natixis, Bank of Montreal and Deutsche Bank (as mandated lead arrangers) on an acquisition senior secured reserve based financing to Norwegian Energy ASA Company (Noreco) on Noreco’s acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of Shell Olie-og Gasudvinding Danmark B.V.
- Advised BTG Pactual E&P B.V. on the sale of African oil and gas joint venture company Petrobras Oil & Gas BV, and advised POGBV on a $755m upsizing of its now $2bn reserve-based lending facility secured over offshore oil and gas assets in Nigeria.
The multi-disciplinary oil and gas team at Latham & Watkins advises a diverse mix of investors, ranging from private houses and NOCs to banks and oil majors, as well as governments and service providers. The team is particularly strong in the cross-border M&A space but covers the full gamut of matters, including dispute resolution, anti-bribery issues and sanctions. The London team is jointly led by corporate expert Simon Tysoe and Islamic finance and Middle East specialist Craig Nethercott. Kem Ihenacho heads the Africa practice and is also a name to note, along with John Balsdon. Chirag Sanghrajka was recently promoted to partner.
Simon Tysoe; Craig Nethercott
‘Latham and Watkins has a strong projects and energy and natural resources practice. The strength of the practice is due both to the experience (and involvement) of key partners as well as the knowledge and diligence of the associates.’
‘JP Sweny is an excellent attorney who combines legal know-how with pragmatic advice.’
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
The Carlyle Group
Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc
Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- Represented the borrowers and sponsors in the project financing for the development and construction of the Penco Lirquén LNG terminal connected to the regional gas transmission system and the Central El Campesino power plant, located in the Biobío region of Chile.
- Acted for the sponsors (including ENH, the national oil and gas company) in respect of the financing of an integrated upstream and midstream gas and LNG project in Mozambique.
- Acted as international co-counsel for Schlumberger, the world’s largest oilfield services company, in its tripartite agreement with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and First Exploration & Production to develop the Anyala and Madu fields, offshore Nigeria.
- Representing NNPC with respect to the financing of a 614km gas pipeline project development from Ajaokuta-Kaduna-Kano.
- Representing Royal Dutch Shell Plc and The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd in two sets of group actions brought in the English High Court on behalf of thousands of residents of the Bille and Ogale communities in the Niger Delta.
Norton Rose Fulbright has been advising on five different financings in connection with the Southern Gas Corridor project, including three financings for the Shah Deniz gas field and a financing in connection with the pipeline for a total of approximately $2.5bn. Other highlights for Rob Marsh's multi-disciplinary oil and gas team pertain to its enviable work in the fields of energy disputes, LNG-to-power and strategic M&A. The team also includes Nick Prowse, who has extensive upstream and downstream experience.
Other key lawyers:
‘Its experience in a multitude of diverse cases gives Norton Rose Fulbright the upper hand and its clients the comfort that they are in the right hands. The fact that its practitioners are very thorough and have an excellent grasp of substantial legal issues is a huge plus.’
‘James Rogers and Mathew Buckle are true professionals with solid knowledge of international arbitration practice and a good sense of the business.’
Brookfield Renewable Power
Greencoat UK Wind plc
Ministry of Finance of Angola
National Commercial Bank of Jamaica
- Advising lenders on multiple financings for over $2.5bn in connection with the Southern Gas Corridor project.
- Acted for Petrofac on the sale of a 49% interest in the company’s operations in Mexico, including Santuario, Megallanes and Arenque, to Perenco.
- Represented Shell in a $183m Commercial Court dispute between Go Science Limited (in liquidation) and multiple defendants based in the Netherlands, all of which are Shell entities.
- Advised INA-Industrija nafte, d.d. on the front-end engineering design for the residue upgrade project at its Rijeka refinery in Urinj, Croatia.
- Advising Baltic Connector Oy on all the English law aspects of the Balticconnector, a bi-directional natural gas pipeline project which will connect the Estonian and Finnish gas grids.
White & Case LLP's oil and gas offering in London bolstered its senior ranks through the promotion to counsel of Meredith Campanale, Adrian Lawrence and Catherine Andrews, and the promotion to partner of Kamilla Azamat. The full-service team is led by Philip Stopford and recently advised Energean on its London IPO - one of many pace-setting mandates in the market. On the contentious side, Mark Clarke has extensive experience in complex disputes in a wide range of jurisdictions. The firm's outstanding client roster includes major integrated oil and gas companies, independent exploration and production (E&P) companies, NOCs, private equity funds, and oilfield service companies, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Clarke; Jason Kerr; David Baker; Mark Castillo-Bernaus;
‘The depth of expertise of the front-end construction team at White & Case is unparalleled.’
‘The group has an unmatched capability for financing work in the petrochemical sector. The practice’s knowledge of the sector and project finance, commercial understanding and application, availability and depth of resources, and partner engagement is all hard to fault.’
‘White & Case is a go-to firm for oil and gas. The partners staff matters appropriately and, importantly, know both the legal and commercial aspects of matters that they are involved in.’
‘The team provides a highly tailored service able to deal with unique commercial and legal circumstances, rather than a generic template to try to force into all situations.’
‘Daniel Garton is a highly experienced construction specialist giving high-quality, practical advice. His no-nonsense manner quickly earns him the trust of clients and counterparts.’
‘Jason Kerr is a big hitter who is well known in the market for his deep knowledge of emerging markets. He also knows how to manage various parts of the client relationship and get transactions done.’
‘Meredith Campanale is a rising attorney who is able to work well with the more senior partners while taking on ownership of her transactions. She is a very knowledgeable attorney.’
‘David Baker is highly commercial and practical, very personable and protective of his clients’ legal position. Henry Brendon is well beyond his years and one of the most able associates in London.’
EIG / Harbour Energy / Chrysaor
Ghana National Petroleum Corporation
Blue Water Energy
- Advised Energean Oil & Gas plc, an independent oil and gas E&P company focused on the eastern Mediterranean, on its IPO on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, which values the company at around £695m .
- Advised Qatar Petroleum and its two affiliates Qatargas OpCo and RasGas OpCo on the integration of all of the activities and assets of RasGas OpCo into Qatargas OpCo.
- Advising Carbon Holdings as sponsor on all aspects of the proposed petrochemical complex in Egypt.
- Advising one of the world’s largest energy corporations in a multibillion-euro arbitration concerning a dispute arising out of the price renegotiation of a multibillion-euro long-term gas supply contract.
- Advised the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and a syndicate of around 20 development finance institutions and commercial lenders on the financing of the $1bn expansion of a world-scale urea fertilizer production facility near Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
Akin Gump LLP has a full-service oil and gas practice which includes a leading restructuring team. The contentious facet was recently strengthened by the arrival of Julian Nichol from Bracewell (UK) LLP and is currently acting in a number of high-stakes disputes, such as defending Russian energy conglomerate Renova in $1bn BVI litigation concerning the ownership of Russia’s largest power generation business. Justin Williams has particular expertise in complex, high-value international arbitrations. Marc Hammerson recently moved to Stephenson Harwood.
John LaMaster; Justin Williams
Other key lawyers:
‘Akin Gump is an excellent law firm – one of the best in the industry.’
‘John LaMaster’s strengths include breath of knowledge, responsiveness, clarity of arguments and efficiency.’
Perella Weinberg UK Partners LLP
Private placement noteholders of Premier Oil
Ad hoc committee of lenders to Endeavour International Corp
The bondholders of Afren plc; and, separately, the administrators of Afren plc
GAIL (India) Ltd
Ad Hoc Bondholders of the Seadrill Group
- Advising Coastline Exploration on a significant project to explore for oil and gas offshore Somalia.
- Advising Perella Weinberg UK Partners LLP in connection with the restructuring of Kuwark Energy PLC.
- Representing SDX Energy in connection with its proposed acquisition to purchase upstream oil and gas assets from BP in Egypt.
- Advising the ad hoc bondholder group in relation to the restructuring of the Seadrill Group, a NYSE and Oslo Børs listed offshore drilling contractor with a $17bn capital structure.
- Acting for Tatneft, Russia’s fifth biggest oil company, in $380m English litigation proceedings against four Ukrainian oligarchs.
The multi-disciplinary energy, mining and infrastructure team at Baker McKenzie covers corporate M&A, project development, project finance and dispute resolution, but also complementary areas such as tax and structuring, trade and compliance, cyber security, and regulatory and environmental law, among others. In recent highlights, the group advised Shell's New Energies division on its agreements to acquire 100% of sonnen, the German battery manufacturer and leader in smart energy storage systems for households. Key contacts include Richard Blunt, who specialises in M&A, joint ventures, private equity and project development, and Susannah Davies. Kathy Honeywood and Christopher Jones joined the team from Clifford Chance LLP and the European Commission respectively.
Richard Blunt; Marc Fevre; Neil Donoghue; Mike Webster
Other key lawyers:
Susannah Davies; David Duncan
- Advised Shell’s New Energies division on its agreements to acquire 100% of sonnen, the German battery manufacturer and leader in smart energy storage systems for households.
- Advised Inter Pipeline Ltd and its European storage subsidiary, Inter Terminals Ltd, on the acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of NuStar Energy’s European bulk liquid storage business for cash consideration of $270m on a debt-free/cash-free basis.
- Acting as part of a cross-border team to represent the Kazakh national gas operator, KazTransGas (KTG), in its dispute with the government of Georgia concerning the appointment of a special receiver over KTG’s Georgian subsidiary.
Bracewell (UK) LLP has a traditional and well-established strength in the transactional space of the oil and gas sector, which is complemented by its growing dispute resolution sub-team. Recently, the firm has been actively involved in the private equity space, as demonstrated by its advice to the Carlyle Energy Fund and CVC Capital on a $2bn reserve-based lending facility to support the acquisition by Neptune Energy of a global oil and gas portfolio from Engie. Upstream sector specialist Jason Fox leads the team, while Adam Blythe has expertise in African and cross-border transactions. Oliver Irwin joined the firm from Milbank to strengthen the financing offering and Nina Howell arrived as a partner from Bracewell (UK) LLP.
Alcazar Energy Partners
Premier Oil PLC
Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi, Societe Generale, Nochu Bank
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Equinor (previously known as Statoil)
- Collaborated with the Houston office to assist Cheiron Petroleum Group with its first upstream debt transaction for an independent oil and gas company in the newly deregulated Mexican market.
- Advised Neptune Energy in connection with the debt financing aspects of the $3.9bn acquisition of a majority stake inEngie E&P International.
- Advising Sumitomo Mitsui Corporation Europe Limited and the lead arranger and documentation bank for the syndicate of lenders on a reserve-based facility to Trident Energy.
- Advised Eni on the sale of a 10% interest in the upstream petroleum concession in Egypt containing the super-giant Zohr gas field.
- Advising Savannah with respect to the restructuring of the commercial arrangements with the current operator, Frontier Limited, and the PE investment of a South Africa-based infrastructure fund, in relation to both the upstream and midstream businesses at the Uquo Marginal Field.
Clyde & Co LLP has significant expertise in major oil and gas disputes, significant corporate and commercial transactions, offshore energy matters, and risk management in emerging markets. High-profile clients such as Total and Chevron entrust their marine, regulatory, health and safety, insurance, projects, construction and employment issues to the team, which is jointly led by Guildford-based David Bennet and Michael Wachtel. On the contentious side, David Leckie is the name to note.
David Bennet; Michael Wachtel
Other key lawyers:
David Leckie; Philip Mace
- Representing PetroSaudi in various claims now amounting to close to $2bn.
- Advising Savannah Petroleum on the acquisition of several upstream and midstream oil and gas assets in Nigeria from Seven Energy International Limited.
- Acting for OMV in connection with the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary, which holds a 49% interest in the Cercina-Cercina Sud, El Ain-Gremda, El Hajeb-Guebiba and Rhemoura concessions located onshore and offshore in Tunisia.
- Advising global shipping company CMA CGM on a contract for the use and supply of marine LNG as the propulsion fuel for nine new container ships.
- Representing Ghana National Petroleum Corporation in connection with changes in circumstances and renegotiations of terms regarding the development of natural gas discoveries in the Offshore Cape Three Points (OCTP) contract area.
With the arrival of Arun Velusami from Norton Rose Fulbright, Hogan Lovells International LLP added a wide range of projects and mandates in the emerging markets of Africa to its caseload. This facet of the practice now sits alongside the firm's well-established domestic UK offering. Well-known for its full-service practice, Ben Sulaiman's team continues to act for the Shah Deniz consortium as project counsel on the landmark pipeline project. On the contentious front, energy dispute specialist Ben Hornan was recently appointed to the partnership. Richard Tyler departed the firm and Steven Bryan joined Paul Hastings LLP.
- The firm continues to act as sole project counsel for the entire consortium, led by BP, on the $45bn Shah Deniz 2 Gas Project.
Linklaters LLP is well known for acting for numerous international oil and gas companies and leading lenders and sponsors, including financial institutions, wealth funds and private equity houses, on their M&A, development and financings of oil and gas assets, from exploration blocks to oil storage facilities and refineries. A varied client roster including majors such as Eni, BP, Total, Gazprom, Essar and Rosneft continues to appoint the full-service team, led by Fiona Hobbs and Daniel Tyrer, to advise across the full spectrum of the oil and gas sector. In recent highlights, the group assisted LetterOne Holdings with the $21bn merger of its oil and gas subsidiary DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG with Wintershall Holding GmbH. Ilia Ditiatev has extensive experience in projects in Russia and the CIS.
Fiona Hobbs; Daniel Tyrer
LetterOne Holdings S.A.
- Advising the Area 4 consortium (led by ExxonMobil and Eni as operators) on the development of the Rovuma LNG project, which will produce, liquefy and sell natural gas from the gas fields of the Area 4 block offshore Mozambique, and its related long-term sale of LNG.
- Advised LetterOne Holdings S.A. on all legal aspects of the $21bn merger of its oil and gas subsidiary DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG with Wintershall Holding GmbH to form a leading independent oil and gas company headquartered in Western Europe.
- Advised Essar Oil (UK) Limited on the acquisition and inventory financing of the Kingsbury and Northampton Terminals and the stock of oil products held within them.
- Advising Rosneft on its concession with the Kurdistan Regional Government of Iraq to operate the main oil export pipeline in Kurdistan and in relation to the award of five production-sharing contracts in the Kurdistan Region and oil prepayment agreements.
- Advised Macquarie and Swisslife on the €591.2m refinancing of Società Gasdotti Italia S.p.A., comprising bank facilities and the European Investment Bank (EIB) debt.
Milbank's London-based energy and natural resources team works with lenders and other financial institutions, private equity and hedge funds, energy companies, other sponsors and developers, and government institutions on their highest-profile energy and natural resources mandates, both at home and abroad. Matthew Hagopian and Manzer Ijaz jointly head the oil and gas team with particular expertise in project development and financing.
Matthew Hagopian; Manzer Ijaz
Other key lawyers:
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation
First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC
BNP Paribas Fortis
Gás Natural Açu
- Advised HSBC Bank Plc as ECA arranger, SACE and the commercial banks with respect to a $500m SACE-covered loan made available to Reliance Industries Limited for its expansion of the $15bn Jamnagar Refinery in India, the largest refinery complex in the world.
- Advising the lenders in the restructuring of the Damietta LNG project.
- Advising Delek Drilling and Noble Energy on the acquisition of an existing pipeline and on key shareholder, gas transportation and other commercial and operational arrangements in connection with the monetisation of the Leviathan and Tamar gas fields offshore Israel through domestic gas and potentially LNG export sales.
- Advising the ECAs and commercial bank lenders on the $4bn financing of the SNE deepwater oilfield located within the Senegalese portion of the Mauritania-Senegal-Guinea Bissau Basin.
- Advising the sponsors on all aspects of the project development and financing of a natural gas hub and power project located at the Port of Açu, Brazil.
The full-service offering at Pinsent Masons LLP has significant expertise in foreign jurisdictions and has developed particular strength in North Sea infrastructure deals as well as the decommissioning of oil and gas assets. The team also has notable capabilities in the fields of restructuring, dispute resolution, capital markets and regulation. Aberdeen-based Bob Ruddiman leads the firm's global oil and gas team. In London, Paul McGoldrick is the key contact; he has extensive experience in upstream joint ventures, project development, corporate matters, and asset acquisitions and disposals.
Other key lawyers:
Paul McGoldrick; George Booth; Akshai Fofaria; Katharine Davies
‘The team provides timely legal support.’
‘Pinsent Masons’ lawyers have extensive industry and commercial knowledge, including practical business experience within the oil and gas industry.’
‘This group is known for its excellent knowledge of oil and gas contracts, and commercial drivers.’
‘Paul McGoldrick is highly respected by commercial and legal counterparties, and technically and commercially very sound. He is a good man to have on your team.’
‘George Booth is a leading partner in the Middle East team, and wields in-depth understanding of the English law and oil and gas industry, as well as the needs of the customers.’
‘Louise Forster is a key point of contact with supreme industry insight, as well as an elite lawyer. Louise ensures invaluable continuity and safeguarding of all advice. She is a unique lawyer with the ability to turn work around on short notice and quickly perceive the problem and meet clients’ needs.’
Total E&P UK Limited
Siccar Point Energy
Suncor Energy Services Inc
John Wood Group plc
- Advising Mutual Energy on a £250m infrastructure project to bring natural gas to western counties of Northern Ireland.
- Advising Oriental Energy on the fallout from the $1.5bn collapse of Afren Plc.
- Acting for Ithaca Energy as part of a cross-office team in relation to the acquisition of the Greater Stella Area oil and gas licences and associated infrastructure interests of Dyas UK Limited and Petrofac Limited.
- Acted for the consortium of oil and gas companies which constructed the CATS Pipeline (the CATS parties) in a complex contractual dispute against Teeside Gas Transportation Limited.
The oil and gas team at Shearman & Sterling LLP advises NOCs and IOCs, governments, investors and financial institutions on the entire oil and gas value chain. The practice handles matters in the sector ranging from project finance and M&A to litigation and international arbitration. Project development and financing specialist Iain Elder leads the team, which was bolstered by the arrival of Timothy Sheddick and Katie Hicks from Baker McKenzie and counsel Lachlan Poustie from Allen & Overy LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Sanja Udovicic; Nick Buckworth
Bahrain Petroleum Company
Golar LNG Limited
Export-Import Bank of Korea (K-Exim)
The Dow Chemical Company
Topaz Energy and Marine
Arab Republic of Egypt
- Advising SACE and the SACE lenders on the financing for the modernisation and expansion of the Middle East Oil Refinery in Egypt.
- Advising Golar LNG Limited on the development of the Fortuna floating liquefied natural gas (FLNG) project to be developed by Golar with its partners Ophir Energy and GEPetrol (the national oil company of Equatorial Guinea).
- Acting as lenders’ international legal counsel on the financing of the West Nile Delta Project in offshore Egypt.
- Acting as legal adviser to Bapco on all aspects of the $6bn Bapco Modernisation Programme in Bahrain.
- Represented a syndicate of banks in connection with the offering of senior secured bonds due 2029 and 2047 by Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline LLC.
Iain Duncan's team at Simmons & Simmons is particularly known for its experience in the midstream sector, where it regularly advises on the development and financing of LNG projects, bulk storage terminals and international pipeline projects. Clients include international energy companies, developers, governments and financial institutions. Adrian Nizzola has particular expertise in matters in the Middle East, while Patrick Wallace regularly advises on high-profile, politically sensitive matters, and has extensive experience in Africa, Central and Eastern Europe, and Asia.
‘Clients appreciate this team for its to-the-point advice, efficiency and well-run structure’
‘Adrian Nizzola is an industry expert and a joy to work with’
International Finance Corporation, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Commercial International Bank (Egypt)
European Investment Bank, NordLB, KfW IPEX-Bank and HSH Nordbank
Mainstream Renewable Power
Bulgarian Energy Holding EAD
Macquarie Bank Limited
TBEA International Ltd and TBEA New Energy Ltd
NextEnergy Solar Fund
- Advising the lenders in connection with the project financing of a bulk liquids terminal for the import and storage of gasoil, LPG and LNG, and berthing of two floating storage and regasification units at Sokhna Port, Egypt.
- Continuing to advise BEH, the Bulgarian state gas company, on a variety of matters including on the proposed development of the Interconnector Greece-Bulgaria (IGB) international pipeline and on BEH’s participation in the Alexandroupolis LNG project in Greece.
- Acted for BP on the sale of a multiple occupancy chemicals site in the UK.
Along with complex and high-profile M&A transactions, project development, financings and disputes, Vinson & Elkins RLLP's energy lawyers also advise on the day-to-day contractual, commercial and regulatory aspects of the industry. The team, led by Alex Msimang and Nabil Khodadad, is especially strong in the international upstream transactional space. In recent highlights, the firm advised on the issuance of three high-value energy company high-yield bonds for Neptune Energy, Aker BP and Tullow Oil, respectively.
Alex Msimang; Nabil Khodadad
Other key lawyers:
‘In-depth industry knowledge, accessibility and high standards make this team stand apart from the rest.’
‘Alex Msimang is a trusted adviser defined by his high standards, accessibility, short turnaround time, communication skills and accurate advice.’
Africa Oil Corp
MCC EuroChem OJSC/Joint Stock Company EuroChem Northwest
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Equinor ASA (formerly Statoil)
Ministry of Oil of the Republic of Iraq
Delonex Energy Limited
Vitol Investment Partnership II Ltd.
SOCAR Turkey Enerji A.S. and BP
Newmont Mining Corporation
- Advised PetroVida Holding B.V. on all aspects of its acquisition of a 50% equity interest in Petrobras Oil and Gas B.V. from Petrobras International Braspetro B.V. for $1.407bn.
- Advised Equinor in connection with its acquisition of a 25% interest in the offshore Roncador field, one of Brazil’s largest producing oil fields, from Petrobras.
- Advising SOCAR GPC on its proposed development and financing of a gas processing plant and petrochemicals facility in Azerbaijan.
- Providing ongoing advice to STAR Rafineri, a subsidiary of SOCAR Turkey Energy AS, on the expansion of the SOCAR Turkey Aegean Refinery (STAR).
- Representing Saipem in its ICC claim against a Gazprom entity over a terminated contract to build the South Stream gas pipeline between Russia and southern Europe.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
The oil and gas offering at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP is currently advising Halite Energy Group on gaining consent for an underground gas storage facility in newly created salt caverns in Lancashire. On the international front, Adam Dann's team is assisting ALSF and the government of The Gambia with the delivery of legal and capacity building services in connection with the review and negotiation of petroleum exploration and licensing arrangements in The Gambia. The contentious facet of the practice is headed in London by George Burn and regularly represents a stellar client base in high-stakes disputes. The team also includes Simon Buchler and senior associate Helen Miller, who is dual qualified in the UK and Australia.
Other key lawyers:
George Burn; Alexander Keepin;
Pantheon Resources Inc
Halite Energy Limited
Hellenic Petroleum S.A.
SDX Energy Inc
INA, d.d. & MOL Group
International consortium of Ferrostaal (Germany), Fauji (Pakistan), and Holdor Topsoe (Denmark)
- Advised INA (a Croatian multinational oil company) and MOL Group (the parent company of INA) on the purchase of the entire issued share capital of Eni Croatia b.v. from Eni.
- Advised Jadestone Energy on its institutional placing and admission to trading on AIM.
- Advised SDX Energy on the proposed placing and readmission of an enlarged share capital to trading on AIM.
- Advising longstanding client Halite on its onshore gas storage project in Lancashire, including in relation to equity and debt investment into the project.
- Advised joint bookrunners Peel Hunt, finnCap and GMP First Energy in relation to Independent Oil & Gas PLC’s conditional placing.
The energy lawyers at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP specialise in acquisitions and disposals, delivering projects, raising funds and resolving problems in the most sensitive and challenging markets. Recent work highlights include divestments and restructuring of upstream assets for Shell, CNOOC and NIOC, joint-venturing for Shell and Gunvor, and project development of LNG terminals for LNG Canada and New Caledonia. Also notable is the firm's energy disputes practice. The team led by Robert Pitcher and Jubilee Easo was recently joined by construction expert Jessica Neuberger from Ashurst. Conrad Purcell departed to Bird & Bird LLP.
Robert Pitcher; Jubilee Easo
Other key lawyers:
Naftiran Intertrade Company Sarl (NICO)
- Acted for and assisted Shell in its sale of Shell Exploration and Production Oman and its 17% participating interest in the Mukhaizna field in Oman to Indian Oil Corporation.
- Representing NIOC as respondent in one of the world’s largest oil and gas arbitrations in relation to the supply of Iranian gas to the UAE under a long-term gas sales agreement.
The main pillar of Fieldfisher's oil and gas practice is private M&A and field development, but the team also advises its diverse client base on matters pertaining to capital markets and commodity transportation and sales. Practice co-head Matthew Williams and regulatory expert Elisabeth Blundson recently joined from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (Europe) LLP. Currently the group is advising President Energy on the development of fields in Argentina and Paraguay, and Echo Energy on the development of its oil and gas concessions in Argentina. On the contentious front, the firm covers a broad range of disputes relating to contractual issues, projects, technical and construction matters, corporate and shareholder issues, and trade and distribution.
Dominic Gurney-Champion; Matthew Williams; Stuart Carter
Other key lawyers:
Elisabeth Blundson; Dougall Molson; Brad Isaac
National Petroleum Company South Abu Zeneima Ltd
Hansa LAPS Ltd
JSC KazMunaiGas Exploration Productions
Independent Oil and Gas plc
Echo Energy plc
Karoo Energy plc
North Sea Natural Resources Limited
Cabot Energy plc
Pipeline System (CLH-PS) Ltd
President Energy plc
LLP PSA (operating on behalf of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan)
Interconnector (UK) Limited
KMG Kashagan BV
Nemo Link Limited
INEOS Upstream Limited
World Fuel Services Corp
JSC National CompanyKazMunai Gas
San Leon Energy
Discover Exploration Limited
Justin Crusteam Ltd
Lateral Resources Ltd
Trafalgar Oil & Gas LLC
North Sea Natural Resources
Corallian Energy Ltd
Svenska Petroleum Exploration
British Pipeline Agency
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Angus Energy Plc
T.D. Williamson, Inc.
Dart Energy (East England) Limited
Libya Oil Holding Ltd
- Advising nominated adviser Smith & Williamson and joint brokers Mirabaud Securities and Stifel on the acquisition of US oil and gas assets by Diversified Gas & Oil plc and placing to raise $250m on AIM.
- Acted for AIM- listed Echo Energy plc on a subscription and placing, raising £8.5m before expenses.
- Advised AIM- listed Cabot Energy plc on a subscription, placing and open offer raising $16.5m together with the acquisition of the remaining 25% of Cabot’s producing oil assets in north west Alberta, Canada.
- Acted for AIM- listed oil and gas company San Leon Energy on an £11m secured convertible loan from major shareholder Toscafund Asset Management LLP.
- Acted as English legal advisers for JSC KazMunaiGas Exploration Production in respect of $1.95bn tender offer launched by the company for its GDRs and shares, valuing the company at $5.6bn, and its de-listing from the Official List of the London Stock Exchange and the Kazakhstan Stock Exchange.
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
The arrival of practice head Anna Howell and commercial litigation and international arbitration expert Jeffrey Sullivan at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher brought significant new strength to the energy practice. The group represents leading energy majors, state-owned enterprises and emerging sector players on strategic and high-stakes deals, often in challenging jurisdictions. Also notable is the team's strong track record in the private equity space. Real estate partner Jeremy Kenley and tax specialist Sandy Bhogal also recently joined from Mayer Brown International LLP.
Practice head(s): Anna Howell
Other key lawyers: Jeffrey Sullivan; Mitasha Chandok
The oil and gas offering at Haynes and Boone CDG, LLP recently underwent significant expansion through the arrival of Mark Johnson from Reed Smith LLP, Anna Nerush from Addleshaw Goddard and Myles Mantle from Jones Day. The team, led by Glenn Kangisser, advises oil field operators, contractors, suppliers and insurers on a range of contracts and disputes relating to the procurement of offshore equipment, including seismic vessels, drilling rigs, and ships (among them diving and other offshore support vessels). The firm is also noted for its substantial LNG capabilities. Australia-qualified associate Phoebe Anderson specialises in offshore E&P projects.
Other key lawyers:
Will Cecil; Mark Johnson
‘Haynes and Boone has deep specialist industry knowledge and experience.’
‘The attorneys at Haynes and Boone are very knowledgeable when it comes to LNG shipping with a broad understanding of both the legal and commercial aspects.’
‘Will Cecil, Glenn Kangisser and Amanda Larrington are particularly notable.’
‘Andreas Silcher is very open, direct and honest in his approach.’
Seadrill Ghana Offshore Limited
TMS Cardiff Gas Ltd
Stena Drilling Limited
- Advising a drilling contractor on a substantial dispute relating to a long-term drilling contract with Tullow Ghana Limited for the “West Leo” semi-submersible drilling unit.
- Acted for a drilling contractor in relation to the sale of the Stena Clyde.
- Acted for a prominent operator in relation to its ongoing LNG carrier fleet expansion, which saw an order of ten vessels in total over the past 12 months from two Korean yards.
- Advised TMS Cardiff Gas Ltd throughout 2018 in relation to its bids on a number of public tenders (to EDP, Jera, Gazprom, Pavillion Energy, Cheniere and Shell) for the long-term chartering of LNG tonnage.
- Acted for Stena Drilling Limited and more recently also Stena Spey Drilling Limited, being the manager and owner respectively of a semi-submersible drilling rig, the “Stena Spey”, in a dispute with a contractor, CKT Projects Limited (now in liquidation and formerly Hertel Technical Services Limited).
Ince fields a global team from London under the leadership of Simon Hems. While traditionally strong on the contentious front, the firm recently expanded its transactional side through its merger with Gordon Dadds. This union increased the team's litigation, corporate and employment expertise, as well as adding a range of complementary services in areas such as tax, private wealth and immigration. The team's main areas of expertise in the oil and gas space lie in floating production and storage matters as well as decommissioning mandates, especially in the North Sea, for its contractor-heavy client roster. Anna Macdonald was recently promoted to the partnership.
‘This firm has outstanding knowledge of the maritime and offshore services industry and the lawyers are attuned to what is important to their client’s company.’
‘Gillie Belsham is a very smart, pragmatic, energized and seasoned partner.’
‘Rania Tadros is a smart, talented and experienced lawyer with additional great potential.’
Songa Offshore, now owned by Transocean
- Advised longstanding client Golar LNG Limited on the $960m sale and leaseback of its FLNG vessel, the Hilli Episeyo, with CSSC (Hong Kong) Shipping Company Limited.
- Acting for Pacific Drilling, a former New York Stock Exchange-listed company focused on deepwater oil drilling, in a highly contentious case concerning the construction of a drilling unit called the Pacific Zonda.
- Advised Heerema Hartlepool on a large energy construction dispute relating to topside modules for the Cygnus gas field, one of the largest gas field developments in the southern North Sea.
- Acted alongside the Dubai office to advise NYSE-listed Tidewater Inc. on certain due diligence aspects of its $1.25bn merger with NYSE-listed GulfMark Offshore, Inc.
- Advised Celsius Tankers in relation to two new-build contracts with Samsung Heavy Industries for the construction of two LNG carriers (with an option for further vessels), each with a value of $187m.
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP is an international practice focused on upstream conventional and unconventional oil and gas, including shale, coal bed methane (CBM) and underground coal gasification (UCG). Practice head Paul Tetlow and James Green are particularly active in equity capital markets and private equity, acting for both listed and unlisted clients and brokers in the sector. The team's energy expertise is supported by the firm's traditional strength in insurance coverage.
Other key lawyers:
‘This is a great oil and gas firm with worldwide reach.’
‘Paul Tetlow is an excellent lawyer who is very experienced, calm and pragmatic. Clients rely on his expert counsel.’
Cluff Natural Resources PLC
Cenkos Securities plc
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited
Faroe Petroleum plc
Corinth Pipeworks Holdings S.A. (previously Corinth Pipeworks S.A.)
Elektrocieplownia Stalowa Wola
- Advised Cluff Natural Resources Plc, an AIM-quoted natural resources investing company with a high-impact exploration and appraisal portfolio focused on the Southern North Sea gas basin, on a subscription to raise £750,000 and a subsequent placing and subscription to raise a further £2m.
- Acted for finnCap Ltd and Cenkos Securities plc, as placing agent on the placing and open offer by Guernsey-based Chariot Oil & Gas Limited, which engages in the oil and gas exploration business along with its subsidiaries.
- Advising Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited, as nominated adviser and broker to Wentworth Resources, on the re-domiciliation of Wentworth Resources, which involved its transformation from a company registered in Alberta, Canada, to one registered in Jersey, Channel Islands; changes to management; and the de-listing of the company from the Oslo Børs.
- Advised leading independent oil and gas company Faroe Petroleum on its defence of a hostile takeover offer by DNO ASA.
- Advising Corinth Pipeworks SA in relation to two major international projects, the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline and the Trans-Anatolian Pipeline.
From London, King & Spalding LLP advises on major LNG export and import projects around the world, including Anadarko’s Mozambique project. The team also covers a diverse range of M&A, corporate and project development work in the upstream sector, including production sharing contracts and licences, joint operating agreements, and gas transportation and sales agreements. In recent highlights, Martin Hunt and his team advised Sierra Oil & Gas on the first major upstream corporate deal in Mexico since the energy reforms of 2014. Also notable is the team's dispute resolution offering, which has a particular emphasis on commercial and investor-state arbitration within the sector. Nina Howell moved to Bracewell (UK) LLP and Gary Pegg retired from the profession.
Anadarko Petroleum Company
Baker Hughes, a GE Company
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
Sierra Oil & Gas
German LNG Terminal GmbH (a joint venture between Gasunie, Vopak and Oiltanking)
SigmaBleyzer Investment Group LLC
Shell and Chevron
- Advised Baker Hughes, a GE company, on its agreement to acquire 5% of the shares in ADNOC Drilling for an initial consideration of $550m.
- Represented Sierra Oil & Gas in the execution of an agreement that will result in Sierra’s business being integrated with Deutsche Erdoel AG, an international independent exploration and production company headquartered in Germany.
- Advised Transocean Ltd, one of the world’s largest offshore drilling contractors, on its deal to acquire Songa Offshoreat, at a value of $3.4bn.
- Representing oil majors Shell and Chevron in an ICC arbitration against the Republic of the Philippines.
- Successfully represented oil giant Reliance in a $1.7bn UNCITRAL case relating to a production-sharing contract with the Indian government.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (Europe) LLP's London-based energy and infrastructure team has recently made several significant hires, including private equity specialist Paul Doris from Watson Farley & Williams LLP and international arbitration expert Mark Beeley from Vinson & Elkins RLLP; practice head James Atkin also joined the firm's Tokyo office in 2018 before relocating to London in 2019. The firm has also added some notable new clients, such as ExxonMobil and BW Offshore, to its already diverse roster. Other key contacts in the team are of counsel Joanna Kay, who specialises in international transactions, and senior associate Rebecca Downes. Matthew Williams departed to Fieldfisher and Peter Roberts retired from the profession.
‘Orrick offers excellent service and has never failed to provide good work even on very tight timescales.’
‘Joanna Kay is a very experienced lawyer who provides a good commercial sounding board and is able to grasp complex ideas and translate them into well-drafted agreements. Rebecca Downes is an extremely thorough and diligent lawyer who leaves no stone unturned in her consideration of legal drafting.’
‘Rebecca Downes has extensive knowledge in the oil and gas industry and is a valuable asset in assisting in-house counsel with navigating through the complexities of manufacturing and selling equipment.’
Axpo Trading AG
Azito Energie S.A.
EP UK Investments Limited
Next Decade LNG
OKEA Holdings Limited
RAK Gas LLC
Seacrest Capital Group Ltd
Tullow Ghana Limited )
- Advising Tullow Ghana on arrangements for the $200m-plus sale and subsequent transportation of associated and non-associated gas from a number of offshore fields in Ghana.
- Advised Seacrest Capital, as the majority shareholder of Norwegian E&P company OKEA AS, in connection with OKEA’s $526m acquisition of Royal Dutch Shell’s interests in the Draugenand Gjøa fields offshore Norway.
- Acting for Storengy in matters associated with its Stublach underground gas storage facility, including the development of physical storage services contract terms and gas transfer arrangements relating to product repurchase agreements.
- Advising Axpo Trading on multiple LNG purchase and sale arrangements, gas sales agreements and LNG charter parties.
- Representing Vedanta and Marubeni in their 14-year dispute with the government of India over the allocation of profits from the Ravva oil and gas field, offshore India.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP advises an enviable client roster including names such as ExxonMobil, Toshiba and the republic of South Sudan on both transactional and contentious matters. Lorenzo Corte and David Kavanagh QC jointly lead the practice, which has recently handled significant issues in the corporate M&A, banking and finance - usually on the lender side - and capital markets space. Also notable on the contentious front is Karyl Nairn QC.
David Kavanagh QC; Lorenzo Corte
Other key lawyers:
Some of Slaughter and May's most notable recent work in the oil and gas sector includes advising Ensco on its proposed $12bn merger with Rowan, and assisting Maersk Oil with its $8.1bn acquisition by Total. Along with high-value, strategic corporate transactions, the team also handles high-profile and 'bet the farm' disputes pertaining to commercial contracts, international arbitration enforcement and allegations of corruption and white-collar law breaches. Hywel Davies, who is described by clients as 'one of the top two or three commercial lawyers in the City', leads the practice.
‘The standards set by Slaughter and May are unrivaled in the City, both in terms of individual and technical excellence.’
‘Slaughter and May wields very strong legal and commercial skills across corporate and finance issues.’
‘Hywel Davies is one of the top two or three commercial lawyers in the City. Rebecca Cousins is also very highly recommended. They are both excellent technical lawyers who are very commercial, practical and solutions-oriented.’
‘The Slaughter and May associates are a cut above the rest. Jack Wharton is a very good example of this.’
United Energy Group
- Advised Maersk Oil on the energy, antitrust, compliance and competition law aspects of its acquisition by Total SA.
- Advising Ensco on its proposed combination with Rowan Companies plc pursuant to which Ensco will acquire Rowan in an all-stock transaction to be effected by way of a UK court-sanctioned scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for Buckeye Partners, L.P. on the English law aspects in relation to the sale of its 50% equity interest in VTTI BV to IFM Investors and Vitol for $975m as part of its strategic review.
- Advising on the formation of Spirit Energy, a joint venture in the oil and gas exploration and production sector between Centrica (69%) and the owner of Bayerngas Norge AS, Stadtwerke München GmBH (31%), Munich’s municipal utilities company.
- Advising BHP Billiton Petroleum Great Britain Limited on the disposal of its interests in the Bruce and Keith North Sea oil and gas fields and associated infrastructure to Serica Energy (UK) Limited.
The transactional and disputes lawyers at Stephenson Harwood have a strong focus on sub-Saharan African oil and gas mandates, ranging from advising on investments, sales, storage, delivery and long-term contracts to litigation. On the transactional side, the team is particularly active in private and public M&A and fundraising. The client roster consists mainly of independent E&P companies. Marc Hammerson recently re-joined the firm from Akin Gump LLP .
Marc Hammerson; Tony Concagh; Stuart Beadnall; Andrew McLean
Other key lawyers:
‘The Stephenson Harwood team differentiates itself from its competitors because it is focused on finding effective legal solutions, not selling legal services.’
‘The firm has excellence in all capabilities, and takes the time necessary to understand the legal and associated needs of its clients.’
‘Max Lemanski is an eminent lawyer: technically excellent, pragmatic, shrewd and resolute. He brings a breadth of experience to provide valuable insight, and never loses focus on what he and his clients need to achieve.’
‘Stuart Beadnall remains a doyen in shipping, offshore construction and energy.’
‘Alex McCue is noteworthy, bright and very capable.’
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)
Eland Oil & Gas
Green Africa Power
Heerema Marine Contractors
Lightsource Renewable Energy Limited
Seaway Heavy Lifting
Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK)
European Bank for Reconstruction & Development
- Represented PDVSA in series of disputes concerning a drilling contract between PDVSA, a subsidiary of Petroleos de Venezuela, the Venezuelan state-owned oil company, and an offshore services contractor in Venezuela.
- Defended NNPC against numerous attempts by IPCO (Nigeria) Limited to enforce a Nigerian arbitration award in England.
- Acted for SUEK on a $1bn pre-export financing from a lending syndicate.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Chris Kilburn's team at Watson Farley & Williams LLP recently added to its partnership ranks with the promotion of Heike Trischmann. The group regularly advises its varied client roster of national governments, banks, major and minor oil companies and investors on the full gamut of issues relating to their businesses. In recent highlights, the team has been advising a syndicate of banks regarding a $180m reserve-based senior facility agreement made to Energean to develop the Prinos Basin in offshore Greece.
Other key lawyers:
Jan Mellmann; Heike Trischmann
‘Watson Farley & Williams provides a consistently high standard and responsive service.’
‘The team works effectively and efficiently together. The attorneys are willing to bounce ideas off one another in a proactive effort to seek solutions rather than simply taking direction from clients.’
‘One of the greatest strengths of this team is its unique ability to cooperate internally to support the client. There are specialists in different fields which is quite important when it comes to related issues.’
‘Heike Trischmann is an absolute pleasure to work with. Her experience in the LNG sector, combined with her knowledge of project documentation, is extensively relied upon by all parties involved. She also manages to adapt very well to the often challenging working environment in Pakistan. To top it off, she is quite well clued in to local politics and culture.’
‘Chris Kilburn takes a pragmatic, very commercial approach in his advice and sees the bigger picture issues. He is nevertheless very precise and has a strong command of issues at play in the E&P sector which results in well-negotiated contracts.’
‘Heike Trischmann is a highly personable individual with a great command of all oil and gas-related contracts.’
‘The practitioners at Watson Farley & Williams are of a consistently high level of intelligence. It is a pleasure to work with them.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
PTT Public Company Ltd
- Advising a syndicate of banks regarding a $180m reserve-based senior facility agreement made to Energean to develop the Prinos Basin offshore Greece.
- Advised Coro Energy Plc on its potential cash and shares bid for Ophir Energy Plc, valuing Ophir at approximately £462m.
- Advised Aban Singapore, a wholly owned subsidiary of India’s Aban Offshore, on its acquisition, via its wholly owned subsidiary Caldera Petroleum, of a 100% interest in two oil and gas blocks in the UK North Sea for a non-cash consideration of $75m.
- Advised independent Namibian oil and gas explorer Azinam on its divestment to ExxonMobil Namibia, an affiliate of ExxonMobil Corporation, of a 30% stake in Petroleum Exploration Licence 44 in offshore Namibia.
- Acting for PTT Public Company Limited, the Thai state-owned SET-listed oil and gas company, in a multimillion-dollar dispute in respect of claims and counterclaims arising out of the failed design, supply and implementation of an integrated Commodities Trading Risk Management system procured from a major US-based global IT systems and software supplier.
Winston & Strawn LLP is especially strong in the corporate, financing and project development matters, and recently expanded its presence in the petrochemical space. The team has continued to be particularly active in the LNG field, where it acts for sponsors and other entities across the world. The practice is jointly led by James Simpson, who has extensive experience advising on international transactions in the oil and gas sector, and Zoë Ashcroft, who is noted for her expertise in transactions in emerging markets (particularly Sub-Saharan Africa). Jason Parker was recently promoted to the partnership.
James Simpson; Zoë Ashcroft
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Jurgenson; Jason Parker
‘Winston’s practice stands out in that it can truly deliver and manage a global transaction with multiple jurisdictions involved. It delivers a seamless and practical service.’
‘Stewart Worthy and Nicholas Usher are both great – excellent deal captains!’
Electrogas Malta Limited
Emirates Water and Electric Company (formerly ADWEA)
SEPLAT Petroleum Development Company Plc
Shebah Exploration and Production Company Limited
Rabigh Refining & Petrochemical Company
Energy Capital Vietnam
- Advising Electrogas Malta on all aspects of the groundbreaking Delimara 4 LNG-to-power project.
- Acting for Energy Capital Vietnam in a $4bn LNG-fuelled power plant in Bac Lieu, Vietnam.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP continued to expand its presence in the oil and gas sector throughout 2018 with a number of key client gains and the opening of an office in Houston. Recently, the group has been active on the supplier side of the market, where it is advising Ovo on its purchase of Spark Energy Limited and the associated supplier of last resort process. Of particular note was the firm's work for Serica on its acquisition of interests in the Bruce and Keith fields from BP, Total, BHP and Marubeni and BP's interest in the Rhum field.
Other key lawyers:
‘This team is practical, knowledgeable about regulatory and industry matters, and has the right level of attention.’
National Tube Stockholders (NTS)
Noble Energy, Inc.
Sumitomo Corporation (Summit Petroleum)
Tekmar Energy Limited
The Oil and Gas Authority
Total E&P UK Limited
Vitol Group (Vitol SA and Vitol E&P)
- Advised Serica Energy on its acquisition of BP, Total, BHP and Marubeni’s interests in the Bruce and Keith fields, and the Rhum field from BP.
- Advising Cuadrilla on a wide range of oil and gas and associated issues relating to its onshore shale gas operations, including the development work for Cuadrilla’s Preston New Road site.
- Advised Barking Power Limited on the contracts to convert a large gas-fired power plant in East London on behalf of Barking Power Ltd.
- Advised Third Energy Holdings Limited on the sale of subsidiary company Third Energy Offshore Limited to Anglo-Dutch Hague and London Oil plc (HALO).
- Advised Countrywide Farmers in relation to the sale of its LPG distribution business to Flogas.
The energy and utilities lawyers at Addleshaw Goddard have recently handled a number of significant transactions in the oil and gas space across a number of jurisdictions. The full-service offering covers the acquisition, divestiture, structuring, development and financing of oil and gas assets across the entire energy value chain, including upstream, midstream and downstream. In recent highlights, the group advised BP on its investment in solar developer Lightsource. In London, the main name to note is Guy Winter, while Richard Goodfellow and John Emerton are based in the Leeds office. Anna Nerush recently joined Haynes and Boone CDG, LLP.
Guy Winter; Richard Goodfellow; John Emerton
Other key lawyers:
Angus Rollo; Sarah Vasani
Macquarie Principal Finance (MPF) (part of the Macquarie Group)
Consortium of banks, including MUFG Bank, Societe Generale, SMBC and Mizuho Bank
SSE plc (Retail)
National Grid Electricity
Electricity Networks Limited
Foresight Metering Limited
SSE plc (Seagreen)
Muse Developments Limited
Scotia Gas Networks (SGN)
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
- Advised SGN on the £250m Gas to the West project, which is delivering gas to 40,000 homes in the west of Northern Ireland.
Oil and gas is a fast-growing sub-group of Bird & Bird LLP's wider energy and utilities practice. While the group covers the full gamut of sector matters, including M&A and equity capital markets, it is most renowned for its expertise in intellectual property and dispute resolution issues. The team's clients include oil and gas majors, IOCs and NOCs, and E&P companies. Matt Bonass and capital markets specialists Clive Hopewell and Nick Heap lead the team. Andrew Renton left the firm to start his own practice but maintains a consultant role.
Matt Bonass; Clive Hopewell; Nicholas Heap
Other key lawyers:
‘This team is known for its good knowledge of the oil and gas sector and, in particular, companies in the mid and small cap space. This knowledge makes it unique and able to provide specialist and tailored advice.’
‘Clive Hopewell is an excellent lead partner in all transactions thanks to his good sector knowledge and strong commercial acumen.’
Canaccord Genuity Limited
WH Ireland Limited
Carpatsky Petroleum Corporation
- Advised Canaccord Genuity Limited, as nominated adviser and broker, on the admission to the AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange of TransGlobe Energy Corporation, with a market capitalisation on admission of approximately $200m.
- Acted for WH Ireland Ltd, the nominated adviser and broker, on the re-admission to the AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange of UK Oil & Gas Investments plc and a series of pre-admission fundraisings, raising gross proceeds of £12.5m.
- Handled the complete retrial of all issues dealt with in Stockholm arbitration, including allegations of fraud, validity of agreements, and corporate identities, on behalf of Carpatsky Petroleum Corporation regarding its dispute with Ukrnafta OJSC.
- Acting as lead counsel in a multi-jurisdictional dispute including a $680m LCIA arbitration regarding a joint venture investment in one of Africa’s largest oil and gas companies, involving complex shareholder and financial arrangements spanning Panama and the BVI.
Ana Stanic leads the practice at boutique firm E&A Law Limited, which handles matters including upstream oil and gas issues, EU energy regulations, and investment treaty and commercial arbitration in the sector. Clients include energy companies, states and international financial institutions. The team has particular experience in South East Europe and the CIS. The addition of Maurice Sheridan from Matrix Chambers further strengthens the firm's EU, environmental and energy law offering.
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice has the expertise of a large firm in a boutique format.’
‘Ana Stanic has an in-depth knowledge of EU energy law. She knows how to build and present her case in a very convincing way and can explain complicated legal issues in a very clear and understandable way. Moreover, she can work very well in a team where she provides very valuable contributions, not only with regard to her own area of expertise but also with regard to that of others, thereby contributing in a very positive and significant manner to the overall result.’
‘Ana Stanic is very knowledgeable in this field.’
Energy Charter Treaty Secretariat
- Worked with Milieu as the key EU legal adviser to prepare a report for the European Commission to analyse the laws of EU member states and key energy exporting countries concerning foreign ownership of energy infrastructure – the European Commission’s flagship project.
- Ana Stanic was invited to give evidence to the to the European Economic and Social Committee on 8th March 2018 on the implications of the European Commission’s proposal to amend the gas directive to address concerns over Nord Stream 2.
The energy and natural resources team at Fladgate LLP covers a wide range of legal disciplines, including commercial contracts, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, construction and engineering contracts, and projects. The group has particular experience in Africa and Eastern Europe. The firm has continued to expand its capabilities with the recent addition of Sandra Bates from Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP to the partnership and TransGlobe Energy to its client roster. Practice co-heads Paul Airley and Nigel Gordon are capital market specialists.
Paul Airley; Nigel Gordon
PennPetro Energy plc
Caspian Sunrise plc (formerly Roxi Petroleum plc)
Eco (Atlantic) Oil & Gas Limited
Angus Energy plc
- Advised TSX and NASDAQ-listed TransGlobe Energy Corporation, an independent international oil and gas company with exploration and production operations in Egypt and Canada, on its introduction to AIM.
- Handled the standard listing of PennPetro Energy plc, an oil and gas company with assets in Texas.
- Advised AIM-listed Caspian Sunrise plc on the acquisition of Kazakh company 3A Best Group JSC, for a consideration of $24m to be satisfied in shares.
- Advised Cenkos Securities on two placings for £9.22m and £5.56m, both in the UK and Australia, for 88 Energy Limited.
- Advised AIM-listed Sirius Petroleum plc on its re-admission to AIM as an operating company and $21.5m fundraising.
Gowling WLG is especially strong across the regulatory space but also oversees the implementation of new natural gas markets, the acquisition, financing (equity and debt) and divestiture of oil and gas exploration and development projects, and the acquisition, divestiture and development of pipeline and refining projects. Practice head Charles Bond has extensive experience advising clients in the sector on flotations, secondary funding, and public and private M&A, and the team's recent work includes assisting longstanding client Cape plc with its introduction to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange. David Ponsford departed to Teacher Stern LLP.
Other key lawyers:
John Cooper; Daniel Wood; Gordon Bell
Kerman & Co acts for companies involved in transactions in a large number of jurisdictions across the world, particularly in Africa and Asia. Peter Kohl's group has a strong reputation in the oil and gas sector, particularly in emerging markets, where it represents both private and public sector clients. Una Deretic, Joan Yu and experienced litigator John Evans are also key names to note.
Applegreen Plc / Petrogas
Baron Oil Plc
Columbus Energy Resources Plc
Empyrean Energy Plc
Midway Resources International
United Oil & Gas Plc
Victoria Oil & Gas
- Advised Applegreen Plc in connection with its acquisition of a 50.01% majority stake in Welcome Break and the admission of its enlarged share capital to trading on AIM.
- Advised United Oil & Gas on its admission to AIM.
- Advised Victoria Oil & Gas on its ongoing fundraising of £13.57m.
- Advised Columbus Energy Resources in connection with its acquisition of Steeldrum Oil Company Inc and entry into a new short-term convertible security facility.
Locke Lord LLP
Locke Lord LLP regularly represents major and independent oil and gas companies, public and private pipeline and midstream companies, and power generation companies, among others. The team assists with a broad array of matters in the sector, including M&A, capital markets, joint ventures, project development and litigation. The practice also has a strong international element: Kevin Atkins leads the Africa desk from London, while practice head James Channo leads the Latin America sub-group.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Locke Lord team has incredible knowledge of the key issues surrounding licences and transfers of assets in challenging jurisdictions. In addition, the team is incredibly accessible and efficient when it comes to energy transactions.’
‘Kevin Atkins and Nick Jennings worked as a great team. Their responsiveness and ability to get directly to the relevant issues was exceptional, even though they were managing other engagements at the same time.’
Mayer Brown International LLP is best known for its cross-border M&A and fundraising capabilities in the oil and gas upstream sector. The team handles both public and private M&A and debt and equity fundraising, as well as M&A within the refining space. Also notable is the firm's track record in the fields of dispute resolution, environmental, regulatory and legislative matters across all segments of the industry. Robert Hamill, who has notable expertise in acting for listed companies, leads the team, which was strengthened by the arrival of Bob Palmer, the former head of the energy, projects and construction team at CMS. Chris Fellowes recently retired from the profession.
Other key lawyers:
Eland Oil & Gas Plc
Klesch & Company Limited
EF Realisation Company Limited (50% Shareholder in Lonestar Energy Resources Inc (Nasdaq)
Cummins Power Generation Ltd.
- Advising Eland Oil & Gas on various commercial contract negotiations, including transfer of the operatorship for licence area OML 40, local joint venture arrangements and its 2018 share buy-back programme.
- Advising Velocys regarding an equity fundraising to fund ongoing operations, in particular the company’s bio-refinery operations in the US and UK.
- Advising Salamander Solutions on the acquisition of MC AAA Limited, a leading UK-based designer and manufacturer of heater cables for use in the oil and gas industry.
- Representing the company voluntary arrangement (CVA) supervisors in the ongoing implementation of the complex CVA of a North Sea oil and gas development and production company, Alpha Petroleum Resources Limited.
Corporate expert Lisa O’Neill and counsel Elisabeth Moseley are the key contacts in McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP's oil and gas team. The pair previously advised Petrobras on the sale of its interests in Block BC-10 in the Campos Basin, Brazil, for $1.54bn, and handled the €5bn divestment of the majority of Praxair’s businesses in Europe to Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation.
Other key lawyers:
The practice at Memery Crystal LLP has a strong international focus, significant cross-border transactional experience and a strong reputation for equity capital markets work, particularly in the natural resources and technology sectors. A particular recent focus of the firm has been on the secondary UK Main Market listing for overseas resource companies, providing them with a platform to access London’s liquidity and deep capital markets. This has led to several client gains such as MOD Resources, Danakali, Pure Gold and Alio. Firm CEO Nick Davis leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Columbus Energy Resources
Chariot Oil and Gas Ltd
Gulf Keystone Petroleum
Green Dragon Gas
- Advised Columbus Energy Resources Plc on its secondary fundraising.
- Advised Tlou Energy Ltd in its £1.4m (A$2.5m) raise and potential further fundraising.
- Acted for Chariot on its recent strategic placing and open offer, which raised approximately $17.5m.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP's team represents sponsors, lenders, governments and private equity investors across the downstream, midstream and upstream oil and gas sectors in a wide range of corporate matters. Stephen Walters advises on public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and other equity financing transactions, while Bruce Johnston handles energy and infrastructure transactions, workouts and restructurings.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Dispute resolution boutique firm Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP has substantial experience in the oil and gas industry. Ted Greeno and his team regularly act on disputes concerning upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas, long-term gas and LNG supply agreements. Other notable contacts are Stephen Jagusch QC, who heads the firm's global international arbitration practice, and of counsel Jenni Lajzerowicz.
- Successfully represented Barra in establishing that it was entitled under Brazilian law to exercise its forfeiture rights under an AIPN Model Form JOA without paying compensation.
The oil and gas team at Shepherd and Wedderburn is led from Edinburgh by Stephen Trombala and best known for its work for British independent exploration and production companies in worldwide M&A and capital markets transactions. The firm's client roster also includes investment banks and sponsors seeking advice with regards to upstream oil and gas matters. Tom Swan advises on regulatory, licensing and procurement issues, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Hally; Keir Willox; Tom Swan
Cairn Energy plc
Gulf Marine Services
North Sea Midstream Partners
ERVIA (Formerly called Bord Gais Eireann)
Cluff Natural Resources plc
TDE Services Kft.
Marin Subsea Ltd
Petroineos Trading Ltd
Delphian Ballistics Ltd
- Acting for Aminex plc in its up-to-$40m farm-out of a 50% interest in the Ruvuma PSA, Tanzania.
- Acting for SOCO plc on the sale of its upstream Angolan interests to Quill Trading Corporation and WMLC Resources.
- Acting for Celtique on its divestment of a 30% interest in the Wressle oil field, onshore UK.
- Acting for HSBC on amendments to Ineos’ borrowing base facility, following its acquisition of the Forties Pipeline.
- Acting as external general counsel to Cairn, leading its negotiations and strategy in connection with the Indian tax authorities’ attempts to use retrospective legislation to levy tax in respect of the 2007 IPO of Cairn India and subsequent dividends.
Squire Patton Boggs has primarily been active on the contentious front under the leadership of Ben Holland, who recently represented Overgas Inc. AD of Bulgaria in its claim against Gazprom Export of Russia in relation to EU competition law violations caused by the cutting off of gas. However, the team also regularly advises on M&A, regulatory and infrastructure matters. The firm recently welcomed Sub-Saharan Africa infrastructure partner Peter Wright from Simmons & Simmons to its broader energy team.
Ian Wood; Trevor Ingle
Other key lawyers:
Regulatory Authority of Bermuda
- Acted for DDI and four other co-defendants in a High Court claim brought by Gazprom Export LLC.
- Advising Ineos on planning and property matters relating to the development of wells for the production of shale gas in England.
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP's practice is especially strong on the borrower and sponsor side, with a particular expertise in project bonds and capital markets as part of complex financing structures. The vast majority of the team's work is based in challenging jurisdictions such as Mozambique, Mongolia and Kazakhstan. Rio Tinto, Oyu Tolgoi and Centerra Gold all feature in the firm's stellar client roster. Craig Jones is a notable contact on the project financing front, while Stewart Robertson has substantial expertise in the international arbitration and litigation space. In recent highlights, the group advised Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Pipeline Company on the closing of a refinancing term loan facility of $1.6bn.
The London office of Wikborg Rein, Norway's only international firm, focuses on energy, offshore and shipping. The oil and gas team is particularly strong in the LNG and FLNG space where it covers projects, finance, shipping and trade. The group led by Chris Grieveson recently welcomed Jonathan Goldfarb, Renaud Barbier-Emery and senior lawyer Ina Lutchmiah from Ince, and dispute resolution expert Shawn Kirby was recently promoted to the partnership.
‘Wikborg Rein has brilliant industry insight and very specialised experience.’
‘Renaud and his team have a deeply ingrained client service philosophy on a broad spectrum of projects from litigation to contractual negotiation.’
‘At Wikborg Rein, outstanding industry knowledge translates into instantaneous response times and commercially oriented advice delivered by a very strong bench of knowledgeable partners.’
‘Wikborg Rein has a strong track record and experience both in corporate legal matters and in the more specialised drilling and offshore services sectors.’
‘Professionalism and depth of experience is what makes this team unique.’
‘Renaud Barbier-Emery performs exceptionally well. He exhibits both brilliant written and verbal communication and is also fast and diligent. He is a great problem solver when unforeseeable hurdles arise, and is flexible in terms of work processes.’
‘The lawyers at Wikborg Rein are reliable, competent and friendly. Standout personnel are Renaud Barbier-Emery and Ina Lutchmiah. Both are responsive and provide timely advice.’
‘What makes Renaud Barbier-Emery and Ina Lutchmiah stand out is their goal-oriented approach. They have the experience and intrinsic knowledge of the industry to understand rapidly what the goal of the transaction is and transcribe it into the proper legal frame.’
Bonheur ASA / Fred.Olsen
GSP Holding SA
Naftogaz of Ukraine
Queiroz Galvão Exploração e Produção
Höegh LNG Ltd
George Economou group companies (Ocean Rig)
- Acted for Ocean Rig UDW Inc and DryShips Inc in successfully defending claims from a former agent, Hamylton Padilha of HPOR, in connection with long-term drilling contracts for two deepwater drilling rigs with Petrobras.
- Acting for Naftogaz of Ukraine against Gazprom in the English enforcement proceedings of one of the largest arbitration awards ever handed down ($2.6bn) and the highest value freezing injunction in the UK court.
- Advised Exmar on its agreements with YPF for the long-term employment of the Caribbean FLNG unit (renamed Tango FLNG) at Bahia Blanca in Argentina.
- Advising BW on one of the leading gas-to-power projects at Port Acu in São João da Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.