Baker McKenzie has a global presence in the mining sector with strong expertise in M&A, arbitration proceedings, dispute resolution, project financings and development work. The practice has significant cross-border capabilities and is involved in the key mining jurisdictions around the globe. The group's client roster includes Rio Tinto, Vale, Ma'aden and Arcelor Mittal. Richard Blunt heads up the energy, mining and infrastructure group and Mike Webster leads the London corporate department. The team is praised for its 'incredibly talented' lawyers and 'dedicated' work ethic. Philip Thomson joined the team from Ashurst and Calvin Walker retired.
Mining and minerals in London
‘The Baker McKenzie team is an incredibly talented group of lawyers. Not only do they have excellent legal skills, they are not afraid to provide their thoughts on the strategic business issue that inevitably come up during the course of complex transactions that can be critical to getting a deal done. The team is dedicated and highly responsive, and there is clearly a high level of trust within the team itself that shines through and makes them a pleasure to work with. They are easily the best firm I’ve worked with.’
‘The Baker McKenzie team stood out in many respects, but their ability to consistently think several steps ahead meant that we were never surprised and were always exceptionally well prepared for every stage of the transaction. We were particularly fortunate to have partner Richard Blunt leading the transaction. Senior associate Isabel Carty was also an outstanding contributor.’
Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Ma’aden)
Anglo Pacific Group
Alliance Altyn LLC
Impala Platinum Holdings Limited
National Titanium Dioxide Company
- Advised Ma’aden on the development of the Mansourah-Massarah Gold Project in the central western region of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acted for Nyrstar in potential environmental and related claims arising out of the transfer to landfill of zinc residuals from one of the Nyrstar group’s smelters in Norway.
- Advised Impala Platinum Holdings Limited on its acquisition of North American Palladium.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP fields a sizeable practice, which is able to advise mining companies on all issues ranging from initial investments and M&A to project developments and construction issues, as well as closure and divestment mandates. The team has in-depth sector expertise including on ESG and climate change matters. Practice head Greg Mulley leads the UK and EMEA mining practice and is a corporate finance and M&A specialist. Laura Hulett is also noted and focuses on M&A and project developments in the mining and energy sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Anglo American plc
Anglo Pacific Group plc
- Advising Anglo American plc in connection with its strategic global review of tailings dam regulation.
- Advising Africa Finance Corporation and Afreximbank on the financing of the Colluli Potash Project in Eritrea, a first-of-a-kind project financing in emerging markets.
- Advising Lonmin on its recommended all share takeover by Sibanye-Stillwater.
Linklaters LLP has a well-established presence in the mining sector with a strong client base of leading names including Glencore, Anglo American, Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton. The practice provides clients with a full-service approach with a significant international presence, demonstrating expertise in all the key regulatory markets. Key areas of work include advising on M&A, raising and restructuring equity and debt financing deals, project development work and regulatory issues. Charlie Jacobs acts as chairman of the global mining practice and leads the team alongside Toby Grimstone, James Inglis and Andrew Jones. Clients describe Jacobs as 'highly experienced' and a 'fantastic outcomes-driven adviser'. Ian Hunter is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘A highly experienced team leader and a very efficient approach to their advice.’
‘Charlie Jacobs is a fantastic outcomes-driven adviser – he has a very common-sense attitude to solving legal and strategic issues. He is also a strong people person.’
- Advised Sibanye Gold Limited in relation to its recommended all-share offer for Lonmin plc, to be effected by means of a transfer scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Glencore on the sale of a 14.16% stake in Rosneft, which was held by a consortium jointly-controlled by Glencore and the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) to a wholly owned subsidiary of QIA for €3.7bn.
- Acted for Glencore in multiple appeals brought by MMG Swiss Finance and Minera Las Bambas S.A and Glencore arising from a previous decision in the High Court.
Mayer Brown International LLP has a well-established global presence in the mining sector and advises on mining-related project developments and advisory work, M&A, construction issues, financing structures and litigation. The firm has a broad client base and acts for leading names in the market including Sumitomo Metals as well as junior mining companies including Toro Gold. A notable recent highlight included providing counsel on mining development to the Government of Oman. Ian Coles heads up the firm's mining and Africa practices, and co-heads the project finance group; clients claim he has 'strong problem-solving skills'. Also recommended is Rachel Speight, who represents banks and sponsors in cross-border structured and project financings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong mining experts, very close to the market, specific expertise in acting on the bank side on highly structured project finance transactions.’
‘Breadth of team and depth of experience. full scale team dedicated to the sector.’
‘Ian Coles and Rachel Speight are stand out members of the team. All down to approachability, commercial acumen and legal experience with a focus on the specifics of the natural resources sector.’
‘Strong leadership from Ian Coles and good strength in depth.’
‘Ian Coles is particularly good. Smart, excellent problem solving skills. Always looking for win-win solutions.’
Medea Future Materials Fund
Sumitomo Metals & Mining
Africa Finance Corp
Women in Mining
ANS Mining Share Company
- Advising Sumitomo Metals & Mining on its $1.2bn acquisition of a 30% interest in the Teck-owned Quebrada Blanca Copper Project in Chile.
- Advising Africa Finance Corporation on the debt, streaming and equity financing of the Segilola gold mine in Nigeria, and offtake arrangements.
- Advised Toro Gold Limited on the sale of its entire share capital to Resolute Mining Limited for $300m.
Norton Rose Fulbright has broad ranging industry knowledge and provides clients with particular expertise in Latin American and African mining jurisdictions. The practice advises on M&A, private equity deals, disputes and regulatory matters; it has also seen notable growth in battery storage metals and gold-related mandates. In a recent highlight, the team advised on the $18.3bn merger between Randgold Resources Limited and Barrick Gold Corporation. Martin McCann heads up the practice and has a wealth of knowledge in the financing and restructuring of mining projects. Raj Karia and Holly Stebbing are also key points of contact, and clients praise senior associate Felicity Brown's 'attention to detail'. Daniel Giemajner was recently promoted to the partnership.
‘Very responsive and great at getting through heavy detail to give clever answers/solutions to problems.’
‘Mark Berry is always good to have on your side – a great lawyer.’
‘Excellent team focused on mining finance.’
‘Felicity Brown is undoubtedly the best associate I have ever worked with. Her ability to quickly grasp complex situations and negotiate positions for her clients is exceptional and her attention to detail and work ethic are second to none.’
Appian Natural Resources Fund
Bellzone Mining Rio Tinto
Centerra Gold Inc
Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee
First Rand Bank (RMB)
Lundin Gold Inc
Red Kite Mine Finance
Standard Chartered Bank
Taurus Mining Fund
- Advised Randgold Resources Limited on its $18.3bn merger with Barrick Gold Corporation.
- Acting for Barrick Gold Corporation (as majority shareholder in London-listed Acacia Mining plc) in relation to ongoing disputes between Acacia and the Government of Tanzania including in relation to tax and the Government’s decision to ban the export of unprocessed minerals and increase state ownership in mines.
- Advising CBG (which is owned by Rio Tinto, Alcoa, Dadco and the State of Guinea) on the $800m expansion of its Sangaredi bauxite mine in western Guinea and the financing of its shared rail infrastructure with neighbouring mines owned by EGA and Rusal.
White & Case LLP advises on the full spectrum of mining-related matters and is recommended for its 'strategic thinking' and 'pragmatic advice', thanks to a team, which is 'well organised, responsive and attuned to the task at hand'. The firm advises key industry names including Rio Tinto, Newmont-Goldcorp and Concord Resources as well as the leading financial institutions involved in mining. The practice has a global presence and handles matters across the banking and capital markets, M&A, dispute resolution and private equity arenas. Global mining and minerals head Rebecca Campbell is highly recommended and attracts praise as an 'industry leader'.
‘Strategic thinking, clients interest at heart, pragmatic advice, availability.’
‘Rebecca Campbell – industry leader, engaged, broad interest, great strategic thinker and adviser, strong ethics.’
‘Great team, well organised, responsive and attuned to the task at hand.’
‘Deep knowledge of the sector combined with practical advice.’
‘Rebecca Campbell provides practical solutions to problems not just regurgitating the law.’
Newmont Mining Corporation / Newmont Goldcorp
Rio Tinto plc
Concord Resources Limited
High Power Exploration
European Metals Holdings Limited
Emirates Global Aluminium
- Advised Concord Resources Limited on the provision of a copper concentrate offtake prepay financing to the Nevada Gold-Copper project.
- Acting for MMG Limited in English litigation proceedings concerning alleged breaches of a sale and purchase agreement relating to the Las Bambas mining project in Peru.
- Advised the lenders on the provision of a hybrid refinancing to Kenmare Resources plc in relation to the Moma Titanium Minerals Mine in Northern Mozambique.
Ashurst has multi-jurisdictional mining expertise with particular experience in EMEA countries; the group has also seen notable growth in instructions involving Africa and Latin America. Notable strengths include specialised public and private M&A and project developments involving iron ore, gold and nickel mines; the practice also handles project finance mandates and dispute resolution. Yann Alix acts as the global co-head of mining, and leads the Africa group; he is also a dual qualified mining partner in England and Wales and France.
- Advised Newcrest on the sale of its gold exploration assets in Cote d’Ivoire to Roxgold Inc.
- Advised Iluka Resources in relation to the International Finance Corporation acquiring a 10% stake in its Sierra Leone rutile operations for $60m.
- Advising Managem on the project development work stream for the Tri-K gold project in Guinea.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP advises clients across the full mining cycle and has a global sector focus with a 'tailored service and constant attention from seniors'. The practice combines expertise in equity and debt financing mandates with construction knowledge, and advises a broad range of clients including publicly traded mining companies, mining funds, project finance lenders and investment banks. Practice co-head Tom Eldridge specialises in debt and offtake finance work and is recognised for his 'sound commercial judgement'. Fellow co-head Alexander Keepin is known for his work on equity capital markets transactions.
‘Long term experience of the sector working in diverse geographies and legal regimes. Smaller team than some, but tailored service and constant attention from seniors to the process.’
‘Tom Eldridge – Sound commercial judgement as well as deep legal sector expertise.’
‘Deep market knowledge, reaction times, courteous manner, flexibility and patience.’
‘We enjoy working with Tom Eldridge who we consider exceptional in mining due diligence, deal and contract structuring, and contract drafting.’
Resolute Mining Limited
Ncondezi Energy Limited
Pensana Metals Limited
Joh. Berenberg, Gossler & Co. KG
Peel Hunt LLP
ING Bank N.V
Société Générale S.A
BNP Paribas S.A
- Advised Resolute Mining Limited on its Main Market Listing on the London Stock Exchange and the Official list of the FCA (Standard Segment).
- Advised Numis Securities Limited which acted as nominated adviser and joint broker to Chaarat Gold Holdings Limited on its readmission of the ordinary share capital to trading on AIM.
- Advising the mandated lead arrangers on all project and financing aspects of senior secured project finance facilities to Acacia Maden Isletmeleri AS, a Turkish joint venture company developing and operating the Gokirmak copper mine project in the Hanonu district of Kastamonu, Turkey.
Clifford Chance LLP has a well-established mining and minerals practice with a strong global presence, advising clients in the world’s leading mining jurisdictions including China, Peru and Brazil. The group has notable expertise in advising investors and lenders in relation to sanctions and regulatory matters. Other areas of strength include advising debtors, creditors and other stakeholders on restructuring distressed debt in the mining and minerals sector. The firm acts for a strong client base with leading names including Glencore, Vale and Eramet. David Lewis has a strong background in M&A and joint ventures, and James Pay is experienced in mining finance transactions.
‘Sector experience, huge transactional knowledge.’
Guinea Bauxite Company
Pacific Wildcat Resources
Baikal Mining Company
GemCorp Capital LLP
Tantalum International Limited
- Advised the Official Receiver and Special Managers of British Steel on the sale of the business and assets to Jingye Steel and Iron, a privately owned enterprise from Hebei province in China.
- Advised Bahrain Steel BSC in relation to its $15bn long term iron ore pellet feed supply agreement with Anglo American.
- Advised Baikal Mining Company on the development of a significant copper deposit in the Russian Federation.
Fieldfisher is a key player in the small-to-mid cap mining sector with particular expertise in alternative financing matters. The firm’s cross-departmental mining practice advises companies, funders and advisers on international mining projects; the practice has also been particularly active in restructurings, project financings, strategic acquisitions and equity investments. A key growth area for the firm is in Africa, where the practice has advised Amalgamated Metal Corporation, Africa Panther Resources and Gemfields Group. The group also recently advised Dalradian Resources and Strongbow Exploration on significant domestic mining projects. Jonathan Brooks heads up the practice and has significant experience in commercial and corporate mining matters.
Africa Finance Corporation
African Panther Resources AG
Amalgamated Metal Corporation plc
Amur Minerals Corporation
Atalaya Mining plc
Central Asia Metals plc
Dalradian Gold Limited
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Fusion Capital AG
ISON Mining Pte Ltd
Kalahari Metals Ltd
KEFI Minerals plc
Kodal Minerals plc
Orion Mine Finance
Orion Minerals Ltd
Osisko Gold Royalties
SP Angel Corporate Finance
Strongbow Exploration Inc.
Tembo Capital Mining GP Limited
Trafigura Pte Limited
Traxys Europe S.A.
Vardar Minerals Limited
VTB Commodities Trading
Yanggu Xiangguang Copper Co. Ltd. (XGC)
- Advising Atalaya on the implications of the Court of Appeal decision on its dispute with Astor Management regarding the Rio Tinto copper mine in Andalucía.
- Advising finnCap in its capacity as nominated adviser and broker to Gemfields Group Limited on its flotation on London’s AIM Market.
- Advising Canadian company Osisko Gold Royalties on the English law aspects of paying a $25m deposit to Mantos Copper.
Hogan Lovells International LLP provides a full-service offering to clients and advises on all types of mining commodities. Key areas of expertise include project development work, financings, M&A, litigation and corruption compliance issues at a national and international level. The firm’s client base includes both private and publicly traded mining companies. Adrian Walker leads the infrastructure, energy, resources and projects practice in London, while Kieron O’Callaghan heads up the London international arbitration practice, which is active in the sector. Arun Velusami is also noted and brings strong expertise in mining and energy with a particular focus on African jurisdictions. The team is praised for being 'hardworking' and for its 'excellent people skills'.
‘The uniqueness of this practice lies in its international reach, and the strength of its practices in those jurisdictions where mining and minerals are a core part of the economy.’
‘Kieron O’Callaghan is a stand-out partner for mining and minerals related litigation and arbitration.’
‘The partner is integrally involved in the meetings and structuring of the deal. Excellent people skills that works with the client in determining the optimal structure and quick turnaround to meet timelines.’
‘Arun Velusami has a very good temperament and understands not only the African market but also African developers extremely well. As clients, this is the most valued quality. The team individuals have good attention to detail and work within the clients timelines. Always helps a tense deal.’
‘Excellent individuals who are hard working and smart and always great to work with.’
‘Very good understanding in commercial transactions from risk mitigation to finance to project management.’
Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC)
Eurasian Resources Group (ERG)
Pacific Road Resources
- Acting for ENRC in a $93m claim against the Serious Fraud Office relating to the acquisition of substantial mining assets in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Acting for Cunico Resources in an investment claim against the Former Yugoslav Republic (FYR) of Macedonia before ICSID. Cunico’s claim relates to its investment in the largest producer of ferronickel in the FYR of Macedonia.
Milbank is particularly known for advising lenders in the mining sector and handles significant development and financing structures; the practice is also growing its involvement in corporate and private equity work and its presence in Latin American markets. Restructuring mandates are also a key area of strength for the practice as displayed through the team’s involvement in the restructuring of Nyrstar. Manzer Ijaz co-heads the project, energy, infrastructure finance group alongside John Dewar, who is a highly regarded project finance lawyer with particular expertise in multi-sourced financings.
KfW IPEX-Bank GmbH
Standard Chartered Bank
Export-Import Bank (US)
Export Finance Australia
African Development Bank
- Acted for the crossholder ad hoc group of noteholders in Nyrstar’s restructuring.
- Advised Yellow Cake plc, a specialist company operating in the uranium sector, on its placing of ordinary shares on AIM raise gross proceeds of approximately £22.9m.
- Advised the lenders in connection with the approximately $350m financing for the development and construction of the Fruta del Norte gold project, located in Ecuador.
DLA Piper is an established player in the mining sector with a global footprint allowing it to represent key clients including Sibelco UK, Aggregate Industries UK, and Tata Steel UK. The group has a particular strength in advising governments including the Republic of Guinea and the Government of Afghanistan. The practice also maintains a strong domestic presence demonstrated by acting as an associate member of the Mineral Products Association in the UK. The team has 'exceptional knowledge' of the sector and practice head Petra Billing goes 'above and beyond'.
‘Exceptional knowledge of the minerals industry. High quality of service, in particular the responsiveness of all lawyers I have dealt with is outstanding, as is the practical nature of the advice given.’
‘Petra Billing – goes above and beyond to provide an exceptional level of service. Regarded as an extended member of our internal team. Advice provided is always practical, tailored for the relevant audience, timely and good value for money. Petra has been a great support and is always at the end of a phone when I need her, no matter how big or small the query might be.’
Imerys Minerals Limited
Government of Kenya
Aggregate Industries ( UK ) Limited/ LafargeHolcim
Republic of Guinea
Tata Steel UK Limited
Cemex UK Operations Limited
- Acted for the Republic of Kenya in defeating a $2bn ICSID claim brought by mining investor, Cortec.
- Advising the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum of the Government of Afghanistan in relation to the award of three mining concessions for the exploration and exploitation of gold in respect of the Badakhshan project; copper in respect of the Balkhab project; and copper in respect of the Shaida project.
Gowling WLG displays considerable expertise in advising AIM-listed companies in the mining sector including Bushveld Minerals, Bacanora Lithium and Altus Strategies. Other areas of expertise include project management issues, start-up transactions, debt and project financings, and public M&A. The firm advises a broad range of international clients and has a strong global presence with offices in Dubai, Paris, Stuttgart and Canada. Practice head Charles Bond has a strong background in corporate finance work and heads the UK natural resources group. Legal director Susan Johnston is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has good experience advising publicly listed mining companies. In particular, they are used to dealing with tricky companies in foreign jurisdictions where an understanding of risk and the ability to take a risk-based rather than standard approach is required.’
‘Charles Bond is a very experienced yet hands-on partner who is always a good source of sound advice.’
‘The Mining Team led by Charles Bond provide excellent client service on a long term basis, through being highly responsive and always available to provide sensible practical advice efficiently and quickly.’
‘We have been pleased to recommend this team to a number of other companies in the sector who have greatly appreciated the recommendation and subsequent service!‘
Hummingbird Resources plc
Bushveld Minerals Ltd
AfriTin Mining Ltd
Firestone Diamonds plc
Eurasia Mining plc
Bacanora Minerals Ltd
Highland Gold Mining Ltd
Strategic Minerals plc
Altus Strategies plc
Ariana Resources plc
Phoenix Global Mining
Galantas Gold Corporation
Salt Lake Potash Ltd
Sunrise Resources plc
Tertiary Mineral plc
- Advising AIM-quoted Bushveld Minerals Ltd on the conditional acquisition of vanadium and ferrovanadium production assets in South Africa for $53.5m from Duferco Investment Holdings.
- Acted on behalf of AIM-quoted Bacanora Lithium plc in connection with the investment by Ganfeng International Trading (Shanghai) Limited pursuant to which Ganfeng acquired a 29.99% interest in Bacanora for an investment of £14.4m.
- Advising AIM and TSX-V-quoted Altus Strategies on a strategic investment from La Mancha.
Latham & Watkins advises on the full range of matters in the mining and metals sector, from mineral exploration to large-scale mining activity. The team assists a wide range of clients including mining and metals companies, project sponsors, governments, sovereign wealth funds and financial institutions. Key clients include EVRAZ plc and the Republic of Colombia. Craig Nethercott heads up the practice.
Rio Tinto Alcan Inc.
Aluminium Bahrain B.S.C.
Mubadala Development Company PJSC
Royal Hill Mining
- Advised the initial purchaser in connection with the $700m issuance of 5.25% Notes due 2024 by EVRAZ plc.
- Representing the Republic of Colombia in an ICSID arbitration against Eco Oro Minerals Corp., under Chapter 8 of the Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP fields a mining and minerals practice with multi-jurisdictional capabilities, which operates across a wide range of matters including mine acquisitions, project developments and arbitration proceedings. Akshai Fofaria is a key point of contact; John Woolley and Jon Harris are also noted for construction and corporate finance work respectively.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons is involved in all aspects of mining and has expertise in every stage of project development work. The practice advises major, mid-tier, and junior mining companies, as well as funds and private equity houses, and has been particularly active in emerging markets. Iain Duncan heads up the mining team as well as the energy and natural resources practice, which recently saw the arrival of Alex Blomfield from K&L Gates LLP, who handles the development, construction and financing of projects. Yves Baratte is also noted.
Mantos Copper S.A. and Mantoverde SA
Anglo American including De Beers
Orion Resource Partners
Resource Capital Funds
First Quantum Minerals
Government of the Republic of Indonesia
- Advised Mantos Copper as mine owner (and Orion and Audley Capital as shareholders) on a $250m financing.
- Advising De Beers in connection with its purchase and export of diamonds in West Africa from artisanal miners.
- Advising Mantoverde on the $300m investment by Mitsubishi Materials Corporation in Mantoverde to take a 30% shareholding, to enable equity financing for the building of a sulphide concentrator at the Monto Verde Mine.
Armstrong Teasdale, which acquired London firm Kerman & Co in early 2021, has particular expertise in advising AIM-listed companies in the basic materials and mining sector. Key areas of work for the team include advising on public and private mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, disputes, arbitration proceedings and commercial contracts. Practice head Peter Kohl has a strong background in transactional and advisory work including M&A, venture capital matters, capital markets issues and corporate governance work. Una Deretic and Joan Yu are also noted.
‘Armstrong Teasdale have partners and staff with a massive work ethic and ability to focus on multiple aspects of a deal at the same time.’
‘Una Deretic, Peter Kohl and Joan Yu for Corporate and Capital markets are people I have worked with for many years and trust 100%. The only times my deals have gone awry is when I have not taken the advice of these people!‘
‘A small team which does a very high proportion of corporate work in the sector, AIM and with resources companies. They have a keen understanding of markets.’
‘They are different in that each problem or transaction is looked at “in the whole” and they have a very business-like approach to issues, unlike most firms.’
Jade Resources Limited
Gerald Metals Groups
Highcountry Cameroon Limited
Metals Exploration Plc
Capital Metals Ltd
ARC Minerals Ltd
Pembridge Resources Plc
- Advised the Nordgold and its UK subsidiaries in respect of various corporate advisory matters.
Bird & Bird LLP advises on a wide range of matters including financing issues for mining companies, M&A, mine construction matters and infrastructure work. The group also leverages the firm's extensive expertise in IP, and recently advised Gemfields Plc on IP and brand protection matters. The practice acts for a varied client roster of multi-national groups, smaller domestic and exploration companies, governments and key suppliers to the steel and mining sector. Corporate finance specialist Clive Hopewell heads up the practice alongside Adam Carling.
‘Clive Hopewell and his team at Bird & Bird are exceptional in this sector. Have great knowledge and are extremely efficient and dedicated at delivering commercial and timely advice.’
Barrick Gold Corporation
Barrick International (Barbados) Corporation
Acacia Mining plc
Asiamet Resources Limited
Canaccord Genuity Limited
Jangada Mines plc
WH Ireland Limited
Harvest Minerals Limited
Joh. Berenberg Gossler & Co KG
Regius Resources Group Limited
Griffin Mining Limited
- Assisted Canaccord Genuity Limited and Shore Capital Partners with a fundraising of $13m by AIM listed Kore Potash Plc through a placing of new ordinary shares and subscription of new ordinary shares.
- Advised Liberum Capital on the placing and acquisition by AIM-listed SigmaRoc plc of Carrières du Hainaut, the Belgium blue limestone and aggregates business, for an enterprise value of €81.3m.
- Advised Barrick Gold Corporation on a major drilling contract for one of the group’s joint venture companies in Saudi Arabia.
Clyde & Co LLP acts for a number of clients in the natural resources industry including governments, mine owners and operators, banks, insurers, reinsurers and carriers. The practice has a global reach and has recently expanded its presence in Africa and Latin America; it also recently strengthened its position in Chile with its new association with Grasty Quintana Majlis & Cia.. Practice head Maurice Kenton has a strong background in arbitration proceedings.
- Representing insurers and reinsurers in a multi-million dollar insurance claim concerning the failure of a tailings dam facility owned by a major mining company.
Druces LLP handles transactions for mining companies and advises on equity capital raisings, substantial takeovers and debt securities listings. The firm has an established presence in the AIM market and other markets worldwide, and has an international client base. Practice head Dominic Traynor is described by clients as 'exceptional' and is praised for his 'down-to-earth manner'.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have strong industry knowledge and experience with the impression of having acted within the industry, not advising from outside.’
‘Dom Traynor shows an extremely approachable and down-to-earth manner – there is no sense of ego. This is shown in that he always seems happy to roll up his sleeves despite having a strong team around him. Possessing “in-house” experience within the industry has shown that he readily identifies potential issues and pitfalls that need dealing with at an early stage in a transaction – avoiding the need for escalation further down a transaction timetable.’
‘The team has a wealth of experience dealing with difficult third parties on complicated deals. They have the capacity to find legal solutions to apparently complex problems. Also generally well-connected and has the capacity to help put interested parties together. Good all-round strengths relating to compilation of documentation, problem solving and negotiation.’
‘Specific mention to Dominic Traynor who is personable but remains highly professional. Can be contacted at any time and always available for advice. I have found it possible to let Mr. Traynor lead a negotiation on my behalf as he has the ability to gain the trust of our potential future business partners who see him as fair minded and impartial. An extraordinary ability to retain the smallest detail of a transaction.’
‘Dominic Traynor in particular is an exceptional legal adviser – his depth of experience in industry matters and general commerciality provides insight well beyond that expected of a legal adviser. His legal skills are excellent and he effectively uses the support team so that the correct fee level is matched with the work undertaken. Overall a very commercial and practical individual.’
Alexander Mining Plc
Greatland Gold Plc
Katoro Gold Plc
Kibo Energy Plc
Red Rock Resources Plc
Regency Mines Plc
Rockfire Resources Plc
SI Capital Ltd (broker)
Savannah Resources Plc
Thor Mining Plc
- Advised Savannah Resources PLC, a diversified resources group with a portfolio of energy metal projects including lithium in Portugal and copper in Oman, on its £5m placing and subscription.
- Advised Katoro Gold on a joint venture involving gold production in South Africa and a convertible loan note to raise £397,000 to support its commitments under the agreement.
- Advised SI Capital on the cancellation from the NEX Exchange Growth Market and admission to the Standard List of Panther Metals plc with a placing of new ordinary shares.
Memery Crystal LLP has a strong reputation in handling mid-cap mining work and frequently advises on equity capital markets transactions for mining companies. The team regularly assists clients with assets in foreign jurisdictions, particularly projects in Africa; notable examples include Pure Gold and Tethyan Resources. Nick Davis and Michael Dawes jointly lead the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a strong brand in mining and particularly dual listings. They staff each deal well and provide excellent advice across a number of markets. You know that the client will receive great advice.’
‘Michael Dawes is excellent at client relationships and provides outstanding advice. He is focused on mining but shows a strong commercial knowledge that translates to strong advice. Amongst the handful of lawyers that can be depended on to provide good advice on both listing rules and AIM matters in the junior sector.’
Rainbow Rare Earths
Shanta Gold Ltd
Caledonia Mining Corporation plc
Ocean Partners USA
- Advised Pure Gold Mining on its Standard Segment Main Market listing. The team also acted for PGM on its equity fundraise of $47.5m.
- Advised Taseko Mines Limited on the admission of its shares to trading on the standard segment of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised Tethyan Resources on all UK aspects of the company’s admission to TSX and advising on a Canadian-based fundraise.
Shearman & Sterling LLP has a significant global presence with established cross-border experience. The firm is singled out for its work in emerging market project development and financings and is active in a range of jurisdictions including Kenya, Kazakhstan and Brazil. Jason Lehner and Cynthia Urda Kassis co-head the mining and metals industry group, which also includes Antony Lepere and senior associate Tom Pound.
‘Team is extremely knowledgeable, practical and solution oriented. Value for money. One of the few firms who know their way around Mozambique.’
Barclays Capital Inc.
Blackstone Tactical Opportunities
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Orion Resource Partners (USA) LP
- Advised Guinea Alumina Corporation (and its parent company, Emirates Global Aluminium) in connection with the $1.6bn development and financing of a bauxite mine in the Republic of Guinea.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP acts on a broad range of mining-related work including M&A and equity capital markets transactions, debt and project financings and dispute resolution. The practice has recently been appointed to Anglo American plc's panel for legal work. Jan Mellmann acts as the global head of mining and commodities.
Sandfire Resources NL
Chaarat Gold Holdings Ltd
- Advised Sandfire Resources NL on the UK-law aspects of its A$167m acquisition of dual ASX and LSE-listed mining company MOD Resources Ltd.
- Advising Chaarat Gold Holdings on the acquisition and related financing by its subsidiary, Chaarat Gold International Limited, of Kapan Mining and Processing CJSC, which owns a medium-sized polymetallic mine in the Republic of Armenia, from PMTL Holding Ltd, a subsidiary of Polymetal International plc.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP has an international presence in the mining sector with a particular focus on the emerging markets. The practice handles IPOs, mine financings, M&A and dispute resolution. Practice head Andrew Collins specialises in corporate advice and transactional work for public and private companies.
Dentons' department leverages its offices in many of the key mining jurisdictions across the globe to provides clients with high-quality insight into the mining sector. The practice handles mining financings and transactions, litigation, and issues relating to mining operations. Darren Acres, Helen Bowdren, Dan Bodle and Joseph Altendorff are the London-based contacts.
Fasken has a high-level of expertise in cross-border work, utilising its offices in Canada, London and Johannesburg to handles mandates in the Americas and Africa. Managing partner of the London office Al Gourley has a strong background in pure mining transactions. Other mining specialists include Jodi Katz and Thomas Wexler.
Fladgate LLP demonstrates expertise in handling corporate matters and capital markets work in the mining sector, with particular experience working with AIM-listed companies including Jubilee Metals Group and TransGlobe Energy. The practice has strong multi-jurisdictional capabilities working in regions including Africa, Russia, the CIS and Canada. Paul Airley leads the natural resources team and Nigel Gordon acts as head of mining.
Tri-Star Resources plc
Cenkos Securities plc
Chesterfield Resources plc
Jubilee Metals Group plc
SP Angel / Sula Iron & Gold
Vast Resources Plc
Avesoro Resources Inc
Pan African Resources
- Advised Avesoro Resources on all English Law aspects of a takeover offer launched by a shareholder in addition to liaising with Canadian counsel and the Nomad.
- Advised Jubilee on its oversubscribed equity placing of new ordinary shares, raising a total of £6.49m.
- Advised Tri-Star Resources on multiple matters, including its open offer to shareholders to raise up to approximately £4.4m through the issuance of new ordinary shares.
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP has a broad mining practice, which spans across mineral, steel and speciality metal assets. The team handles capital markets transactions, M&A, project finance work and litigation. Paul Tetlow heads up the practice and acts as head of corporate in London. James Green is another point of contact for corporate transactions.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP fields a strong commodities practice, which overlaps with its mining work, advising on IPOs and secondary fund raisings, as well as regulatory matters. The group's multi-disciplinary practice allows clients to receive assistance with the buying, selling, financing and carriage of raw materials. Richard Swinburn and Paul Skeet are key contacts.