Insurance: corporate and regulatory in London
At Clifford Chance LLP, global insurance sector group head Katherine Coates is described as being 'second to none on understanding of the market', working alongside deputy heads Ashley Prebble and Hilary Evenett. The practice sits at the top of the market for the corporate insurance matters, handling the full spectrum of work, covering transactions, advisory, risk and portfolio transfers, reinsurance, restructuring and regulatory matters. Major recent roles have included advising Legal & General on a £4.4bn pensioner bulk annuity buy-in with BA's Airways Pension Scheme. The firm has also been closely involved in the development of an effective UK framework for insurance linked securities (ILS), serving as legal adviser to the London Market Group and members of the ILS taskforce.
‘Extremely knowledgeable and competent. Confident and professional in the way they deal with problems and are well resourced to turn work around efficiently at short notice.’
‘Exceptional industry knowledge – the team are able to leverage the rest of the firm to support on specific areas as required. Advice is pragmatic and partners take the time to understand underlying business drivers for relevant matters.’
Excellent knowledge of the industry, the regulation and the perspective of the regulators.’
‘Ashley Prebble is an excellent point of contact and leads the team very effectively. He is always available, often at short notice, to offer help and solutions to problems that may have arisen. He is also very approachable and personable. He is a trusted adviser who has developed a good relationship with our team over a number of years.’
‘Katherine Coates has real industry knowledge, regulatory understanding and is able to connect dots across a variety of areas.’
‘Katherine Coates is a clear market leader – second to none on understanding of the market and regulation.’
- Advised Legal & General on a £4.4bn pensioner bulk annuity buy-in with British Airways’ Airways Pension Scheme, which will cover circa 60% of all pensioner liabilities.
- Advised Cinven on the acquisition of AXA Life Europe from AXA.
- Advised ING Group on a global partnership with AXA to provide insurance products and related services through a central digital insurance platform.
- Advised the Chubb Group on its response to Brexit.
- Advised AXA on the complex global restructuring and consolidation of its Lifestyle Protection Insurance business.
Clyde & Co LLP has a preeminent reputation for marine and aviation work, fielding a substantial team of insurance lawyers with an 'exceptionally deep pool of expertise' who deal with M&A, investments, reinsurance and commercial work for leading insurance companies. Global corporate insurance head Andrew Holderness, described as 'the UK's finest lawyer in the Lloyd's market', works alongside the 'extremely knowledgeable and pragmatic' Ivor Edwards, 'leading practitioner' Stephen Browning and Mark Williamson, who heads the firm’s commercial and technology practice. William Hogarth was promoted to partner in the team during 2018.
‘Led by Andrew Holderness, the corporate and regulatory team at Clyde & Co is exceptionally strong, knowledgeable, responsive and business savvy.’
‘Thoroughly knowledgeable in their field of insurance and in particular Lloyd’s.’
‘One of the largest corporate insurance practices in the City of London with an excellent ratio of experienced partners to associates. This ensures that there is a depth of expertise not always found in other top tier firms. It also generates confidence in the thoroughness and experience of advice delivered by the firm.’
‘The firm’s knowledge of London market insurance transactional and regulatory matters as well as the Lloyd’s market is exceptional. Many firms in the City excel in one or two of these areas but Clyde & Co has top tier lawyers in all three. A stand out firm.’
‘Clyde & Co rightly known as insurance specialists, with an exceptionally deep pool of expertise throughout the firm.’
‘Andrew Holderness brings decades of experience, deep knowledge and exceptional business acumen to any transaction, making him a unique counselor to insurance companies.’
‘Andrew Holderness is recognised as a go to lawyer on Lloyd’s matters.’
‘William Hogarth is good on transactional work and has a practical and pleasant presentation style.’
‘Ivor Edwards is thoughtful on more esoteric insurance products.’
‘Andrew Holderness is the UK’s finest lawyer in the Lloyd’s market.’
‘Ivor Edwards is extremely knowledgeable and pragmatic. A trusted adviser who is not afraid of a challenge.’
‘William Hogarth is at the vanguard of a new generation of corporate insurance partners who are leading the way in cutting-edge market developments, including, in particular, the insurtech space. He also boasts an impressive practice in more traditional corporate insurance areas such as portfolio transfers and M&A.’
‘Ravi Masaon is a big-ticket M&A and part VII portfolio transfer specialist. A superb lawyer who is client focused and extremely efficient. Clients love to deal with him and know they can rely on him to make complex work look effortless.’
‘Stephen Browning is the leading practitioner in the field of Lloyd’s insurance regulation and legal practice. He is also a first rate general (re)insurance corporate practitioner who understands the commercial/business imperatives of often very complex deals. Stephen is extremely responsive, hard working and a pleasure to deal with.’
Barbican Insurance Group
Tokio Marine HCC
ProSight Speciality Insurance
- Advised on the purchase by the Tokio Marine HCC group (through its UK entity HCC International Insurance Company PLC) of 100% of the Qdos Contractor business from the Qdos Group.
- Advised Indian state sponsored (re)insurer GIC Re on entry to the Lloyd’s of London insurance market by establishing an underwriting platform.
- Advising Barbican on various quota share reinsurance arrangements with reinsurers to support underwriting on Barbican-managed Lloyd’s Syndicate No. 1955 for the 2019 year of account.
- Advising ProSight Specialty Insurance on the sale of Syndicate 1110 and its existing business to R&Q.
- Advising Canopius on the making of a mandatory offer to acquire all third party-held capacity on Canopius managed Lloyd’s Syndicate No. 4444.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's 'dynamic, forward-thinking and extremely knowledgeable' team is particularly well-regarded for its work in the life insurance market. The practice advises on Part VII transfers, M&A, pensions and longevity risks as well as insurance business restructurings. Practice head Charles Rix and Steven McEwan are seen as 'leaders in their field'; Rix recently led a large team from the firm advising insurance giant Royal London on a groundbreaking offer to its policyholders to adapt their pension policies to the newly introduced 'pension freedoms' environment. Solicitor advocate Jamie Rogers was promoted to partner at the beginning of 2019.
‘Extensive experience in insurance/reinsurance – dynamic, forward thinking and extremely knowledgeable.’
‘Excellent quality legal advice, with a clear understanding of what our business does. Legal advice is commercial, to the point yet bespoke to the particular situation.’
‘Steven McEwan and Charles Rix are leaders in their field.’
‘Jamie Rogers knows our business inside and out. He always provides a personal service which goes beyond any lawyer that we have worked with. His team are also excellent, in particular Ellie Rees and Sarah McQuillan.’
Sedgwick Claims Management Services Inc.
Enstar and its subsidiaries, including StarStone
- Advised The Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited on an offer to its policyholders to adapt their pension policies to the more flexible ‘pension freedoms’ environment.
- Advising Canada Life, the UK insurance business of the Canadian financial conglomerate Great-West Lifeco, on the sale of a £2.7bn life insurance business to Scottish Friendly, a UK friendly society.
- Advised Sedgwick on its acquisition of Cunningham Lindsey from a consortium of Sellers led by private equity firm CVC.
- Advised Standard Life Assurance Limited on its acquisition by Phoenix.
- Handled Brexit reorganisation for Tokio Marine including the transfers of EU branch businesses of two insurers to a new Luxembourg insurer, under one Part VII scheme.
The corporate and regulatory insurance practice at Norton Rose Fulbright exclusively represents insurance clients, handling matters including M&A, Part VII transfers, insurance joint ventures and corporate reorganisations. The department - which is led by global head of financial institutions and insurance James Bateson - also comprises a warranty and indemnity insurance practice, led by newly promoted partner Matthew Foster, which provides advice on the underwriting review process. David Whear is a key contact for Lloyds, while Nicholas Berry leads on the regulatory aspects of insurtech. Other key partners include Maria Ross, Robert (Bob) Haken and Noleen John.
‘Very deep industry experience; technically very strong, trusted advisers.’
Aquiline Capital Partners
- Advised Bain Capital on the acquisition, by way of public offer, of UK motor and home insurer Esure.
- Advised AXIS Managing Agency Limited on the transfer of approximately $1.1bn of gross liabilities and supporting assets to Syndicate 2008 managed by StarStone Underwriting Limited, part of the Enstar Group.
- Advised on the establishment of Pioneer’s own Lloyd’s Syndicate.
- Advised Aquiline Capital Partners on the sale of its interest in London-based broker Beach & Associates to US buyer, Acrisure LLC.
- Provided both legal and technology consulting advice in relation to Arch Insurance’s potential insurance of cryptocurrencies.
Slaughter and May is regularly involved in the biggest insurance M&A transactions in the UK market, and in 2018 led for Standard Life Aberdeen on the £3.2bn sale of its UK and European insurance business to Phoenix and Marsh on its £4.3bn acquisition of JLT. The well-regarded Jonathan Marks leads an 'exceptionally gifted team', which also includes the 'solutions focused' Craig Cleaver and the 'impressive' Robert Chaplin. The practice also handles Brexit advisory work for insurers, as well as large scale cross-border reinsurance transactions, risk transfers and regulatory capital financings.
‘Pragmatic, responsive, and with strong technical ability at all levels.’
‘A sharp and intelligent practice with extensive experience.’
‘The team provides practical, commercially minded legal advice, working seamlessly between partner and associates.’
‘Exceptionally gifted team for complex corporate and regulatory matters and always willing to be available when needed. Fundamental partners for our regulatory matters.’
‘Great team, meticulous attention to detail, solutions focused.
‘Robert Chaplin is very strong technically, is always prepared to give a view and is always focused on the end goal.’
‘Robert Chaplin provides well rounded advice that clearly demonstrates a full appreciation of his client’s objectives and the broader factors that need to be taken into account in decision making. He seeks out creative solutions and is ready to challenge conventional thinking. He adds significant value on projects beyond purely on legal matters, drawing on his extensive commercial and deal experience.’
‘Craig Cleaver is very knowledgeable but operates without ego. He also demonstrates real pragmatism and is very solutions-focused.’
‘Robert Chaplin’s market knowledge and experience is impressive, and is combined with an ability to command respect and a willing audience from stakeholders, including on the other side of the transaction.’
‘Robert Chaplin is enthusiastic, knowledgeable and good to work with.’
Department of Health and Social Care
Legal & General
Marsh & McClennan
Phoenix/ Standard Life Assurance
- Advised SLA on the sale of its UK and European insurance business to Phoenix Group Holdings.
- Advising Prudential on the proposed demerger of its UK & Europe business, resulting in two separately-listed companies.
- Advised Right Choice Insurance Brokers Limited (RCIB) on the sale of a minority stake in RCIB to Lloyds Development Capital, as well as the related leveraged financing and security package.
- Advised PA Pension Trustees on the derisking of the PA Pension Scheme.
- Advised esure on the recommended takeover offer by Blue (BC) Bidco Limited.
Allen & Overy LLP's 'seen-it-all, done-it-all team' insurance team works closely with the firm's corporate department, advising on premium domestic and European M&A deals. The practice's work also includes pensions buy-ins, de-risking and Solvency II implementation cases, whilst a bespoke team provides AGM and annual reporting support for insurer clients. Practice head Philip Jarvis and Kate McInerney make for an 'outstanding' team; McInerney, who was promoted to partner in 2019, played a key role for the Co-op on the sale of its insurance underwriting business, CIS General Insurance Limited, to Markerstudy.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Allen & Overy insurance team is a seen-it-all, done-it-all team with strength in depth experience in all aspects of pensions insurance from collateralised buy-ins to umbrella arrangements to longevity swaps to complex Part VII transfers.’
‘Philip Jarvis and Kate McInerney are an outstanding team. Technical expertise coupled with commercial, collaborative nouse.’
The Trustees of the Airways Pension Scheme
MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings
- Advised Prudential on its sale of £12bn of annuity liabilities to Rothesay Life, covering 400,000 policyholders.
- Advised the Trustees of the British Airways sponsored Airways Pension Scheme on a £4.4bn pensioner bulk annuity buy-in with Legal & General.
- Advised VIVAT on its €5.5bn longevity reinsurance with Canada Life.
- Advised Ontario Teachers Pension Plan, Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec and the management team on the $875m sale of entire issued share capital of Catalina Holdings (Bermuda) Limited (Catalina) to funds managed by Apollo.
- Advised MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings, a leading Japanese insurance company on two minority investments in UK-based ReAssure Jersey One Limited (ReAssure) from Swiss Re.
Ashurst's 'exceptional' team revolves around the leadership of 'highly commercial and user friendly' Adam Levitt , a 'real expert in his field'. As co-head of Ashurst's global insurance industry group, his focus lies on corporate transactions for insurance companies and banks; he and his team cover M&A, restructurings, portfolio transfers and insurance-linked securities. The practice has picked up a number of major new clients in recent months, and key recent work has include advising advising European insurance giant Generali on the sale of its entire shareholding in Generali Worldwide Insurance Company and Generali Link to Life Company Consolidation Group. Senior associate Akiko Morioka is also regarded as a 'rising star'.
Other key lawyers:
‘There seems to be no transaction they can’t cover.’
‘Organised, efficient, proficient and above all they put client and performance delivery first.’
‘Clients want Adam Levitt on their side – he is astute, technically and commercially impressive, strong in negotiation and has the ability to get complex transactions done.’
‘Akiko Morioka is a rising star – she knows her stuff, is organised and gets things done.’
‘Adam Levitt is a real expert in his field. Tons of market knowledge and experience.’
‘Adam Levitt’s team leadership is the standout factor for us in selecting Ashurst’.
Gryphon (Guardian Assurance)
Ing Bank N.V.
J.P. Morgan Asset Management
Lloyds Bank Plc
Pension Insurance Corporation (PIC)
Punter Southall Group
- Advised Generali on the sale of its entire shareholding in Generali Worldwide Insurance Company and Generali Link to Life Company Consolidation Group, a company backed by Oaktree funds.
- Advising Swiss Re on the acquisition of a book of business in Hong Kong from QBE, effected by reinsurance plus Hong Kong portfolio transfer.
- Advising MetLife on the UK and European aspects of an Irish portfolio transfer in favour of Laguna Life.
- Advised J.P. Morgan on its investment into a digital pensions and insurtech platform.
- Acted as lead counsel for Global Insurance Group with responsibility for advising on legal and regulatory aspects of a collateral deposit facility transaction.
CMS has a strong track record of work in the life, annuity and pension risk transfer markets, as well as European insurance M&A and insurance finance and capital matters. The firm's three-way merger with Olswang and Nabarro has also served to boost its technology offering, with fintech, insurtech and regtech clients now a key focus of the team. Mike Munro has particular expertise in longevity and pension de-risking transactions as well as collateralised (re)insurance, while insurance regulatory head Paul Edmondson receives praise for the 'combination of industry knowledge, knowledge of the regulators, technical ability and pragmatism'. In the last year he has predominantly dedicated himself to providing Brexit related advice to insurers and intermediaries.
Paul Edmondson; Helen Johnson; Mike Munro; Chris Southorn
‘CMS surpasses every other insurance practice for its ability to find pragmatic, practical, sound solutions to problems.’
‘Paul Edmondson’s combination of industry knowledge, knowledge of the regulators, technical ability and pragmatism makes him my first choice of regulatory adviser. There’s no one I’d rather work with in this space.’
‘Chris Southorn is outstanding. I don’t think there”s any problem he can’t find a solution for.’
Legal & General
Axis Managing Agency
Pension Insurance Corporation
Zurich Insurance Group
Scottish Widows / Lloyds Banking Group
Allianz Risk Transfer
SCOR Global Life
Standard Life Aberdeen PLC
Pacific Life Re
- Advised Unum Group on the acquisition of Pramerica Poland from Prudential Financial Group.
- Served as lead adviser to Zurich on its large longevity swap transaction.
- Took a lead role in the acquisition by Scottish Friendly of a book of bundled group pensions business from Mobius Life Limited.
- Served as lead adviser to Pension Insurance Corporation on a £900m longevity reinsurance transaction with Prudential Insurance Company of America.
- Acted for Phoenix Life Limited on its first-ever pension buy-in transaction with the Marks & Spencer Pension Scheme.
The corporate and regulatory insurance practice at DAC Beachcroft LLP acts for some of the UK's top insurers, while also handling key insurance matters for other clients such as HSBC, which it advised on its 10-year distribution deal with Aviva. The team also has a focus on data protection, which forms a core part of the insurance advisory practice. Mathew Rutter, who heads up the practice, specialises in advising on financial services regulation and the regulatory aspects of corporate and commercial agreements. He works alongside Mark Neville, Rhiannon Webster and Jade Kowalski , all of who are described as 'standout' partners. The firm is also a founding member of Legalign Global, a integrated alliance of four insurance focused law firms covering Germany, the US and Australia.
‘The team clearly has a wealth of experience within the industry/sector and presents this in practical terms. Client service is also clearly at the forefront of what they do and they are generally incredibly responsive and helpful. For the service they offer, their fees are incredibly competitive.’
‘A responsive and commercial team with excellent industry expertise.’
They seem to be on the forefront of current legislation and have vast knowledge of the insurance sector – each person brings something different in their area of expertise.’
‘Mark Neville is our key relationship partner and is wonderful to deal with. He constantly seeks feedback at the end of each key transaction to ensure that the service provided remains in line with expectations – this level of interest is not something that we generally experience with our panel.’
‘Rhiannon Webster and Jade Kowalski are standout individuals, always practical, responsive and the wider business has had nothing but positive comments about them.’
‘A lovely bunch. Coupled with their excellent approach to client service and advice, they are one of our key firms.’
‘Mark Neville is a stand out partner, providing a full client service, excellent drafting and strategic advice.’
Arthur J Gallagher
- Advised HSBC on its 10-year distribution deal with Aviva, one of the largest transactions of its kind ever entered into in the UK.
- Instructed jointly by the Lloyd’s Market Association and Association of British Insurers to lead discussions with Government on processing of special categories of personal data by insurance industry.
- Following an extensive review of HSBC’s life reinsurance contracts to take account of legislative changes, drafting bespoke life reinsurance contracts for further books of business written by the wider HSBC Group.
- Advised AIG Life on its partnership with InsurTech start-up, Yulife, to provide life insurance and wellbeing tools to businesses and consumers.
- Advised the US and UK arms of AJG/Gallagher on the acquisition of the insurance broker Pavey Group.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP's London team has 'extensive' knowledge of the insurance M&A market and has worked on many of the largest deals in the sector over the last few years. The highly regarded Ben Lyon and practice head Clare Swirski are lauded for their 'excellent' technical insurance knowledge, particularly on Solvency II questions, for which Clare is described as 'the go-to person' in the market. Swirski, Lyon and James Scoville were recently part of a large transatlantic team which advised AXA on the $15.3bn acquisition of XL Group.
James Scoville; Clare Swirski
Other key lawyers:
‘Good industry knowledge both for the UK and internationally’
‘The team takes a commercial-minded approach to insurance transactions while focusing on an appropriate level of legal detail and risk mitigation. They are in a unique position to be able to advise on market developments and provide guidance on commercial positions to be taken in transaction documents.’
‘Ben Lyon has a strong understanding of the insurance market and drivers for insurance clients, and uses that understanding to provide commercially relevant advice. He has a client-centric approach and is proactive in ensuring advice is provided in line with client requirements.
‘Clare Swirski is a go-to person on Solvency II questions – she really understands the business implications.’
‘Ben Lyon possesses a unique combination of deep insurance-industry knowledge and excellent M&A experience.’
‘Ben Lyon applies a client-focused approach to legal representation by taking the time to understand what is motivating his clients and adjusting his approach accordingly.’
American International Group
Swiss Reinsurance Company Ltd.
Ascot Underwriting Limited
AmTrust Financial Services
Prudential Financial Inc. / Prudential Financial Insurance Company
Assured Guaranty Corporation
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.
Greycastle Holdings Ltd.
Third Point Reinsurance Company Ltd.
The Blackstone Group
The Carlyle Group
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Assisted AIG in its $5.56bn acquisition of Validus Group, a Bermuda-based, NYSE-listed, (re)insurance company.
- Advised AXA on the $15.3bn acquisition of Bermuda-based XL/Catlin Group.
- Ongoing advice to Ascot Underwriting Limited on various insurance, corporate and regulatory matters.
- Advised the Hanover Insurance Group on its $950m sale of Chaucer to China Re.
- Advised HarbourVest Partners on the £1.2bn take-private of UK insurer esure.
The practice at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is led by non-contentious specialist and 'star performer' Geoffrey Maddock , who enjoys a strong reputation among clients, who recommend him for his 'very broad, deep and invaluable knowledge of insurance'. The practice has particular strengths in pensions de-risking and reinsurance and portfolio transfers, expertise that goes hand in hand with more general transactional capabilities. Senior associate Kaja Kluziak is also recommended.
‘Excellent technical skills – they compare favourably to the magic circle firm working on the same deal.’
‘The practice provides deep and broad expertise.’
‘The team is very responsive and demonstrates high levels of accountability/ownership for the matters on which they are instructed.’
‘Excellent corporate advice and relationship management skills.’
‘Geoffrey Maddock is a star performer with decades of experience, and with the resulting assurance and versatility, not to mention unflappability.’
‘Kaja Kluziak is a fast rising senior associate who delivers excellent work on time and has great promise.’
‘Geoff Maddock is very knowledgeable in the field of insurance and provides practical solutions to what can be extremely complex problems.’
‘Elizabeth McKnight has extraordinary depth of knowledge and is a provider of pragmatic advice.’
‘Geoff Maddock provides excellent corporate advice and relationship management skills to ensure that we speak to the right people to get the advice we need in a timely fashion.’
‘Kaja Kluziak has excellent knowledge, attention to detail and work ethic.’
Ardonagh Group (formerly Towergate Insurance)
Lloyds Banking Group (Scottish Widows)
Marsh & McLennan
MoneySuperMarket.com Group plc
Pension Insurance Corporation
ReAssure Limited (Part of Swiss Re)
Willis Towers Watson
Financial Guaranty Insurance Company
Canada Life Group (UK) Limited
The Canada Life Assurance Company
- Advised Canada Life Assurance Company (Barbados branch) on its role in connection with Legal & General’s £4.4bn buy-in agreement with the BA trustees.
- Advised Miller Insurance Services, 85% subsidiary of the Willis Towers Watson group, in relation to its acquisition of the entire share capital of Nelson Holdings, the holding company of Alston Gayler & Co.
- Advising ReAssure on the Part VII transfer of the £650m mature savings business that ReAssure acquired from Legal & General in 2017.
- Advised Sir Peter Wood, in his role as 30.69% shareholder and chairman of esure group plc, in relation to the acquisition by Bain Capital of the entire share capital of esure group by scheme of arrangement.
Linklaters LLP's corporate insurance practice acts for an impressive roster of prestigious clients, with insurance experts operating as part of the magic circle firm's market-leading corporate practice. For the past two years, the firm has led the Mergermarket rankings for insurance sector deals for both volume and value. Major recent work has included assisting on Old Mutual on its £12bn demerger. while it has also been serving as sole legal adviser to the Association of British Insurers in relation to Brexit, analysing matters of particular importance to the UK insurance industry. While long-serving partner Victoria Sander left to join Latham & Watkins, Duncan Barber remains the firm's point person for the sector, working alongside corporate duo Dan Schuster-Woldan and Kanyaka Ramamurthi.
Duncan Barber; Dan Schuster-Woldan; Kanyaka Ramamurthi; Matthew Middleditch; Aedamar Comiskey
Lloyds Banking Group
- Advised Old Mutual plc on its managed separation which delivered two separate entities into the hands of Old Mutual plc shareholders.
- Acting for AXA on the sale of AXA Life Europe, a closed book variable annuities provider regulated in Ireland.
- Advised Rothesay Life on its acquisition of a £12bn portfolio of UK annuities from Prudential in the largest deal of this type in the UK.
- Advising the Generali Group on the disposal of its entire shareholding in Generali Nederland (and its subsidiaries) to ASR Nederland, one of the leading insurance groups in the Netherlands, for €143m.
- Advised Jardine Matheson in relation to the sale of its 40% shareholding in JLT, in connection with the £4.3bn acquisition of JLT by Marsh.
Pinsent Masons LLP's corporate and regulatory insurance team is 'extremely capable' and provides 'first class advice', not only on business-as-usual matters, but also complex corporate and regulatory cases. 'Extremely personable' practice head Hammad Akhtar routinely works with insurers on Brexit planning and restructuring, and advised Royal London on a complex cross-border transfer of life insurance business. This breadth at the department has attracted talent from other firms in recent years, including Matthew Brewer, who joined from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP in November 2017 and Madhu Jain, who moved over from Linklaters LLP in November 2018 after almost 18 years at the magic circle firm.
Hammad Akhtar; David Heffron
‘Excellent knowledge, a can-do attitude and a problem-solving team that makes itself available.’
‘The team has great coverage across the market, good industry knowledge and its commercial and technical expertise is market-leading.’
‘Hammad Akhtar has exceptional knowledge of the law, market practice, and market developments. He has excellent experience in dealing with the regulators. Very engaged and exceptionally responsive. Very organised and proactive.’
‘Hammad Akhtar has made a huge effort to build up an impressive understanding of how our organisation works, both from a legal, structural perspective as well as how we do things. His advice was always completely on point, taking into account our risk appetite and what would work for us as an organisation.
‘Hammad Akhtar is very user-friendly. He can break down the most complex legal points and explain them. He also displayed an impressive understanding of the wider rules and regulations that apply to our business, demonstrating an ability to get into some pretty complex actuarial matters.’
‘Hammad Akhtar is an extremely personable lawyer who provides excellent support and advice. His availability during complex and long project was first class.’
‘Iain Sawers is excellent in terms of expertise, responsiveness and his knowledge of our business.’
Legal & General
Marsh & McLennan Group
Royal London Group
Standard Life Aberdeen
- Advised Royal London Group on its Brexit strategy and the implementation of a complex cross-border transfer of life insurance business and related reinsurance and collateral arrangements.
- Advised Zurich on the sale of its workplace pensions business to Scottish Widows and the Part VII transfer of that business.
- Advising Zurich on its disposal, via auction sale, of the leading UK student insurance specialist, Endsleigh, to private equity backed A-Plan.
- Advising actuarial consultancy firm Milliman on a (solvent) creditor scheme of arrangement that is being undertaken by one of the largest UK insurance consolidator groups.
- Advising on a support model for Standard Life Aberdeen to amend and negotiate hundreds of external fund manager agreements for the Standard Life Wrap and Elevate platforms and related insurance wrappers to deal with regulatory change.
RPC's transactional insurance practice has had its busiest year ever, advising on a raft of M&A deals, Brexit restructurings, Part VII transfers and Lloyd's of London matters. The team also advises on broker and Managing General Agent Mandates, as well as an increasing volume of legacy business Part VIIs. The transactional and advisory insurance business is headed up by 'real standout' James Mee, who leads on almost all of the firm's insurance M&A mandates, working in tandem with the 'phenomenal' David Wallis. Major matters for the team have included advising RSA on its Brexit-related European business reorganisation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Throughout all of the challenges that we faced, James Mee and his exceptional team of talented lawyers remained professional and focused on supporting the management team achieve their strategic objectives. 110% my legal team of choice.’
‘The team has extensive knowledge of the market in which we operate, as well as a very close appreciation of our firm’s position and priorities. Consequently their advice is not only in line with or even ahead of trend but more importantly always appropriate to our circumstances.’
‘James Mee is a strong leader for the practice. He is extremely diligent but always able to step back and look at the bigger picture. He has fantastic insight into the re/insurance world.’
‘David ‘the Professor’ Wallis is a phenomenal asset to the team, bringing a wealth of unique experience to the table.’
‘Rupert Wyles is extremely hard-working and always looking out for the interests of his clients.’
‘James Mee is a real standout. He knows the corporate insurance market very well and has a superb appreciation of the challenges and demands faced by insurance business in the current environment. He is extremely sensible and a pleasure to work with.
‘Jenny Tran is extremely sharp and also very good to work with.’
AIG Greece (sellers)
Cove Programs/Bay Risk(and the sellers)
- Advising RSA Insurance Group plc on its Brexit related European business reorganisation.
- Advising Equitable Life Assurance Society on its Brexit-related European business reorganisation.
- Advising Swinton (Management) on the sale process and the ultimate sale to Ardonagh.
- Advising Paraline on the sale of its Lloyd’s interests to, and its investment into, Beat (the innovative new MGA)
- Advising Howden on its acquisition of Punter Southall’s health and protection consultancy.
US firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP has a well-established presence in the London insurance scene, advising major insurers, investors, brokers and intermediaries on big-ticket M&A, regulatory issues and insurance-linked securities matters. Joseph Ferraro's 'highly recommended' team includes the highly regarded Andrew Tromans, who is described as having 'more in-depth knowledge of insurance actuarial and business M&A matters than some actuaries or M&A advisory firms have.' The London team regularly works with their US counterparts on cross-border matters such as advising Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited on its $2.6bn acquisition by Apollo Global Management.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team consistently provides prompt, pragmatic advice.’
‘Speed of response and knowledge of the practice area makes Willkie stand out.’
‘Willkie Farr & Gallagher have worked with all insurance M&A players and insurance M&A advisers. Hence they know the market, the players, the market standards and terms. Given their constant exposure to insurance M&A, they can properly estimate costs and offer alternative fee arrangements and deliver against it. Legal issues are identified easily by this team and addressed as required in lean legal documentation. Highly recommended – my insurance M&A go to team.’
‘Andrew Tromans is extremely knowledgeable, practical and solution focused – an ideal combination for in-house clients.’
‘Andrew Tromans is not only an expert in insurance M&A – he is more than just a legal adviser and has more in-depth knowledge of insurance actuarial and business M&A matters than some actuaries or M&A advisory firms have.’
‘Andy Tromans provides consistently high quality, commercially focused advice and service on the most difficult of insurance law specific issues.’
‘Andy Tromans is my most trusted adviser and, without question, one of the finest lawyers in the London market.’
Andrew Tromans is very responsive, very smart and most importantly commercially savvy – one of our go-to lawyers.’
Aspen Insurance Holdings
OSG / Aquiline
Lancashire Insurance Holdings
- Represented Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited in its agreement to be acquired by certain investment funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management LLC.
- Advised OSG Group, an Aquiline portfolio company, in relation to its UK takeover offer to acquire Communisis PLC.
- Acted for a major, US-headquartered international insurer on one of the most significant personal lines insurance transactions of the year, creating an international lifestyle insurance provider with leading positions in insurance warranty and vehicle protection businesses.
- Represented long-time client RenaissanceRe Holdings in its deal to acquire Tokio Marine Holdings’ international reinsurance platform, which includes Tokio Millennium Re and Tokio Millennium Re (UK) – collectively, TMR.
- Represented MS Amlin, the specialist global (re)insurer, in the creation and establishment of a new Bermuda-domiciled special purpose reinsurer.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
The corporate insurance practice at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP handles the full gamut of corporate and regulatory issues for an impressive roster of top insurers, and has been winning new clients in the months since the transatlantic merger which created the firm in 2018. The team is led by Adam Bogdanor, who advises FTSE 100 businesses on matters including M&A, Part VII business transfer schemes, reinsurance and schemes of arrangement, while the 'excellent' Geraldine Quirk specialises in business transfer schemes, as well as schemes of arrangement and regulatory work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good specialists in insurance with a depth of partner knowledge and experience.’
‘Geraldine Quirk is excellent on business transfers and has a simple way of conveying advice and process.’
‘Adam Bogdanor is a bright lawyer and experienced with transactional work.’
AXA Insurance (UK) plc
AXA Liabilities Managers
Chubb/Ace European Group
International Underwriting Association
Randall & Quilter
Sun Life of Canada
Liberty (formerly named Ironshore)
- Advised the majority shareholders of Nelson on the sale of Nelson to leading specialist insurance and reinsurance broker Miller.
- Advising AXA on the Part VII transfer of all UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man employers’ liability and public liability policies issued by AXA prior to 1 January 2002 to RiverStone.
- Advising R&Q as buyer of the ProSight corporate members that provide capital support to Lloyds Syndicate 1110 and the transfer of the management of the Syndicate to R&Q Managing Agency Limited with day to day claims handling on non-US business outsourced to R&Q Central Services.
- Advising Reliance and QBE on a Part VII transfer of business written through the Italian and Spanish branches of QBE.
- Advising Liberty as warranty and indemnity insurer on eight transactions including the sale by Macquarie Group of a 41MWp platform of UK solar PV assets to Fiera Infrastructure, manager of the Eagle Crest Infrastructure Canada LP and an affiliate of Fiera Capital Corporation.
The insurance practice at DLA Piper offers both transactional and regulatory advice, handling life and non-life matters in relation to cross-border M&A, insurance group reorganisations, longevity transactions, Part VII transfers, restructuring and other run-off insurance portfolio matters. The firm's substantial presence around the world means it can offer 'a global service in today's demanding international environment.' Global practice co-chair Prakash Paran - 'a great lawyer with deep insight of the insurance market' - covers M&A, portfolio transfers and insurance linked securities, while the 'outstanding' Melanie James, who was recently promoted to practice co-chair, deals with Brexit reorganisations for international insurance groups across company markets and Lloyd's of London.
Prakash (PK) Paran; Melanie James
‘The practice provides a global service in today’s demanding international environment.’
‘They believe in partnering with clients and help them advance their business objectives, rather than simply delivering legal opinions.’
‘All the partners (wherever they are based) are very commercial and solutions-driven.’
‘Responsive and proactive. Good team coordination across the globe.’
‘The level of trust, reliability and confidence in the professional output of the team is always kept up.’
‘Prakash (PK) Paran is a great lawyer with deep insight of the insurance market; he understands the client’s needs quickly, and has a solution-oriented attitude.’
‘Tim Baumgartner has deep technical expertise in the M&A area and general corporate law. He is a great lawyer to work with and quickly absorbs the client’s needs and specific requirements. Tim is a solution-oriented lawyer.’
‘PK Paran is an outstanding negotiator; highly personable.’
‘Melanie James is very personable and technically very strong.’
‘Melanie James and PK Paran have in-depth knowledge of our space and are committed to providing quality and speedy service to their clients. They believe in partnering with the clients and help them advance their business objectives, rather than simply delivering legal opinions.’
‘Melanie James is outstanding in that she combines commercial sense, transaction related expertise and regulatory know-how while also recognizing different cultural approaches when dealing on international transactions.’
Aviva Plc & Aviva Ventures
Munich Re (HSB/Munich Re)
- Acted as lead counsel for Compre Holding Ltd on the acquisition of legacy insurance business from Generali’s UK and US branches.
- Advising AIG Europe Ltd on the acquisition of its managing agent and legal representative in Greece from its shareholders Calamos Investments and Canellopoulos & Adamantiades.
- Advising Zurich Insurance Group subsidiary Cover-More on its acquisition of travel insurance intermediary Blue Insurance
- Advising Zurich on the potential launch of a new digitally focused online insurance platform/website aimed at SME customers in a number of countries across Europe.
- Advised ARAG on its acquisition of DAS’s Irish legal expenses insurance business.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has a broad insurance practice, which is led out of London but made up of partners and associates spread across the UK. The team acts for top insurers on matters of risk transaction (life and non-life), reinsurance and regulation, while distribution is another key area for the firm. The team is led by global insurance co-head Simon Brooks, while a key member of the London team is Hugo Laing, who specialises in M&A and Part VIIs, and led the firm's team advising longstanding client Legal & General on the £2.4bn buy-out of the Nortel Networks UK pension plan, a deal which represented the second biggest buy-out ever.
Other key lawyers:
‘A pragmatic, commercial, responsive team backed by in-depth experience and technical expertise.’
‘Hugo Laing is incredibly hard working, accessible and experienced; he integrates very well with our in-house teams making completing transactions a pleasure with the confidence he gets it right.’
Generali Worldwide Insurance Company Limited
Legal & General
Lloyds Banking Group
Gefion Insurance A/S the Danish insurer
Guarantee Protection Insurance Limited
- Advised Pollen Street Capital, the majority owner of Speciality Risk Investments Limited, on the acquisition of the Underwriting Exchange and London Ireland Market Exchange.
- Advising Legal & General on a £2.4bn buy-out for the Nortel Networks UK Pension Plan, which covers around 15,500 pensioner members and around 7,200 deferred members. The deal represented the second biggest buy-out ever.
- Advised the trustee of the Airways Pension Scheme on its £4.4bn buy-in with Legal & General. This is the largest ever bulk annuity policy arranged with a UK pension scheme.
- Advised the £800m BHS2 Pension Scheme on its buyout with Pension Insurance Corporation plc.
- Advised Scottish Widows on its £880m buy-in with the Littlewoods Pension Scheme. The deal was Scottish Widows’ biggest bulk annuity transaction to date.
Mayer Brown International LLP's activity in the insurance sphere is focused on M&A, longevity insurance swap transactions, protection (re)insurance policies and catastrophe bonds. The practice is led by Colin Scagell, who has 'a wealth of knowledge' in insurance linked security (ILS) transactions and is 'friendly, knowledgeable, accessible and responsive' - providing an 'exemplary client service'. 2018 was a fruitful year for the team, as it was bolstered with the addition of 'outstanding insurance and corporate finance lawyer' Jeremy Hill, who joined as a senior counsel from Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, while Rebecca Bothamley was promoted to the partnership. The 'exceptionally collaborative' Jane Childs heads up the firm’s UK pensions risk transfer group.
‘A very strong technically capable team, with real focus on collaboration – a very solutions-focused style.
‘The team’s industry knowledge always ensures they deliver an end product that is exactly what is needed.’
‘Able to offer value on our transactions by simplifying the structure of deals.’
‘I have a lot of time for Colin Scagell. He is always on the ball, enthusiastic and keen to help. He knows what he is talking about and knows the industry well.’
‘Jeremy Hill is an outstanding insurance and corporate finance lawyer with vast experience in the Lloyd’s market. When M&A deals come along both sides will want to be the first to appoint him. Definitely in the top three practitioners in his field.’
‘Rebecca Bothamley is honest, pragmatic, and provides and market insight. She has shown a lot of flexibility delivering a product that best fits our requirements.’
‘Jane Childs has an exceptionally collaborative style, with a solutions focused approach.’
‘Colin Scagell is commercial yet very knowledgeable. Easy to deal with but committed and focused.’
Tokio Millennium Re
KD Group/Adriatica Slovenica
Peel Hunt LLP
- Represented The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc on its acquisition of The Navigators Group.
- Advised The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. on its sale of Chaucer to China Re.
- Advised Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc. on aspects of the $1.5bnn sale of its reinsurance platform, Tokio Millennium Re, to RenaissanceRe.
- Advised KD Group on the sale of Adriatic Slovenica to Generali.
- Advised EU Lotto Limited on its €120m jackpot protection insurance and reinsurance policies,
The practice at Simmons & Simmons has a strong regulatory offering under the leadership of the 'highly experienced and well connected' Pollyanna Deane. She and her team advise on reorganisations, distribution agreements, risk management and new products and innovative risk structures, with a particular focus on insurtech start-ups. Insurtech is a key area of focus for the firm - Deane sits on the UK Government’s Insurtech Board - while the team has recently developed and innovative Senior Managers and Certification Regime online tool aimed at the insurance industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘Pollyanna Deane is highly experienced and well connected; besides top notch advice, Pollyanna always goes the extra mile (including facilitating introductions to investors and insurers alike).’
‘Laura Allen has worked hands-on with us on our regulatory insurance filings. She was responsive and well versed on the subject matter.’
Laka (previously Insure-a-Thing)
Bought by Many
- Assisted insurance start-up Laka with the Financial Conduct Authority authorisation process and its negotiations with its insurance provider.
- Developing a suite of documents for the Insurtech Board to assist Insurtech start-ups.
- Development of the innovative Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR) online tool aimed at the insurance industry.
- On-going regulatory and commercial advice to insurance start-up Bought by Many.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP
Robert Stirling heads up the corporate insurance offering in Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP 's London office. The elite US firm has a top-tier global reputation for insurance M&A, and in 2018 Stirling led the firm's team which advised Phoenix on its $4.1bn purchase of Standard Life Assurance. Of late the team has also been providing Brexit planning advice for UK insurers setting up European subsidiaries. 'Terrific' associate Owen Ross is also recommended.
‘Strategic, knowledgeable and dedicated.’
‘An excellent team. Able to pull from talent around the firm on a global basis as well as work cooperatively with local counsel in jurisdictions in which they do not have a team.’
‘Owen Ross is terrific. Thoughtful and results oriented.’
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited
Phoenix Group Holdings
The Travelers Companies, Inc.
TDR Capital LLP
Gryphon Group Holdings Limited
Sompo Holdings, Inc
XL Group Ltd
- Advised Phoenix Group Holdings on its $4.1bn reverse takeover acquisition of Standard Life Assurance, the life insurance subsidiary of Standard Life Aberdeen plc.
- Advised The Travelers Companies on its $490m acquisition of UK-based distributor Simply Business Holdings, the largest online insurance distributor for small and mid-sized businesses, from Aquiline Capital Partners.
- Advised TDR Capital LLP and Retirement Advantage in the sale of the MGM group of companies to Canada Life (UK).
- Advised Covéa Mutual Insurance Group Company on its £165m sale of Swinton Group Limited to The Ardonagh Group Limited.
- Advising a leading European asset management business in connection with Financial Conduct Authority regulatory advice and internal investigations.
Global mega-firm Dentons describes its UK insurance offering as a "boutique practice with a focus on cross-border matters". Under the leadership of 'very safe pair of hands' Martin Mankabady, the team provides 'concise but comprehensive' advice to Lloyd's insurers, global brokers and start-ups on commercial arrangements and cutting-edge matters involving insurtech. Mankabady, who was recently appointed as global chair of the firm's insurance practice, works in tandem with recently promoted partner Katharine Harle, who is an expert on regulatory matters and previously worked at the Financial Conduct Authority. Adriana Cotter joined the team as a partner from Sidley Austin LLP in mid-2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘Martin Mankababdy remains an expert on W&I, wordings and regulatory aspects. More broadly he is well regarded as a very safe pair of hands and extremely knowledgeable.’
‘We work very closely with Katharine Harle and Martin Mankabady and find them both to have exceptional understanding of our needs and demands; advising concisely but comprehensively.’
- Advising Mobius Life Limited on the disposal of a block of individual businesses.
- Advising Vitality Life on the launch of its investment proposition.
HFW has a broad offering and longstanding sector expertise, including a strong Lloyd's market practice and expertise in insurance regulatory matters. Key members of the team include Richard Spiller, who deals with acquisitions, risk transfers and restructurings, policy wordings and run-offs; Ashwani Kochhar, who focuses on non-contentious matters, including insurance M&A and corporate finance; and Carol-Ann Burton, who returned to the firm as a partner in 2018 after two years at the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority. Senior associate William Reddie has a particular focus on innovative insurtech products.
The team at Shearman & Sterling LLP acts for both insurance and reinsurance companies, handling a range of corporate and regulatory matters, and has of late been busy advising clients on the likely implications of Brexit. Key partners include Barney Reynolds, who heads the US firm's global financial institutions advisory and financial regulatory practice and leads the insurance sector group. Reynolds and fellow City partner Thomas Donegan have been building a strong profile for their work on Brexit-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
Intercontinental Exchange (ICE)
Addleshaw Goddard's 'commercially sensitive and aware' insurance group relies on expertise collectively drawn from the firm's London team and its other offices throughout the UK, advising clients including banks and building societies on insurance distribution cases and day-to-day regulatory matters. Financial services regulatory partner Brian McDonnell leads the London team.
‘Integrity, great knowledge and always have solutions to issues. Commercially sensitive and aware.’
Nationwide Building Society
Lloyds Banking Group
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Barclays Bank plc
CIS General Insurance Limited (The Co-operative Group)
Thomas Cook (White Horse Insurance)
Synova Capital LLP
- Acting for Inflexion on its investment into Quartz Holdings Limited which owns (directly and indirectly) the entire issued share capital of Granite Underwriting Limited and Pine Hill Holdings Limited.
- Handled insurtech transaction involving advising Moore Stephens on the sale of the business and assets related to the insurance software known as ‘Rulebook’.
- Advising CIS General Insurance on legal basis for processing data for insurance products, including data sharing with partners, and drafting required privacy notices for customers and contracts with suppliers.
Burges Salmon LLP has national strength in regulatory work in the financial services and insurance sectors, including commercial and compliance insurance work. The firm's team includes Kari McCormick, who advises clients on insurance coverage and matters relating to warranty and indemnity insurance, credit insurance and directors and officers liability insurance.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely knowledgeable – the team has a great understanding of the issues facing their clients in a rapidly developing market.’
‘Matthew Walker and Kari McCormick are both extremely knowledgeable. They have a great understanding of the issues facing their clients in a rapidly developing market.’
‘One of their key strengths is combining expertise in insurance law and M&A law. They are commercial and sensible in their application of this knowledge.’
Ecclesiastical Insurance Group
Royal London Group
The Exeter Friendly Society Limited
AXA Insurance UK plc
- Secured panel appointment for Ecclesiastical Insurance Office plc, assisting with a range of queries and projects.
- Advised on renegotiation of claims management outsourcing arrangements for Exeter Friendly Society.
- Advising the Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited on the development and launch of a new pre-paid funeral plan proposition.
- Advising a group of insurance intermediaries on the distribution of its ancillary insurance products in the UK.
- Advice on the application of the FSCS and the fees applicable.
Boutique City firm Carter Perry Bailey LLP is ‘always available’ to give its clients ‘unparalleled advice on any matter, large or small’. Stephen Carter heads up the ‘extremely collegiate’ team which includes partner Bernadette Bailey, who specialises in advising brokers, insurers, consultants and public authorities on insurance, reinsurance and contractual documentation. The practice focuses on regulatory and commercial services, carrying out transactional work for small to medium insurance intermediaries.
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep understanding of the insurance market practices. Fantastic ability to navigate through complex issues and come up with a solution.’
‘Bernadette Bailey is always available to give her unparalleled advice on any matter, large or small.’
Community Reinsurance Corporation Ltd – (UK)
Hampden plc – (UK)
Patria re – (Mexico)
Reaseguradora Patria – (Mexico)
Litmus Analysis Ltd – (UK)
NASCO France – (France)
NDI Insurance & Reinsurance Brokers – (UK)
NPA Insurance Company – (UK) and the National Pharmacy Association
Lime Street Broking Group – (UK)
Sentry Insurance, A Mutual Company – (USA)
The London team at Cooley (UK) LLP has recently been busy on transactions involving warranty and indemnity and tax indemnity insurance, as well as Brexit-related issues facing the insurance market. David Kendall and practice head Mark Everiss both handle all types of insurance and reinsurance work, with key clients including the Lloyd’s Market Association, which it advises on matters including competition law and data protection issues. The London team is also looking to leverage its connections to the wider firm's US platform and tap into the insurtech market.
Other key lawyers:
The Lloyd’s Market Association (LMA)
National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance (NFU)
Ambridge Europe Limited
Municipal Mutual Insurance Limited
- Advising Rollings Butt, the administrators of MedRe, an insolvent reinsurance company, in relation to all insurance/reinsurance and claims matters arising from the insolvency.
- Advised Ambridge, a leading underwriter of transaction insurance, on more than 30 transactions involving warranty and indemnity and tax indemnity insurance during 2018.
- Advising The National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society on outsourcing, licensing and technology procurement contracts.
- Advising the Lloyd’s Market Association on competition law issues, Brexit-related issues and data protection issues.
The team at DWF is led by Richard Burger, who joined from RPC in late 2018 and is now head of financial services regulatory investigations at the firm. Burger, who previously worked at the Financial Services Authority and also carried out a secondment as head of compliance for a London market insurer, works with head of financial services regulatory Robbie Constance, who also joined from RPC in 2018 and who has a particular focus on insurance-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
Insurance firm EC3 Legal is made up of a number of lawyers with substantial experience gained at top-tier firms. Senior partner David Coupe, who founded the firm in 2012 after leaving Clyde & Co LLP, acts predominantly in the London and Lloyd’s insurance market, while Helena Coates, who also joined the firm from Clydes, was recently promoted to partner; she has a focus on policy wordings and compliance and regulatory issues, including cross-border matters.
Gowling WLG's team has recently been working with clients looking to navigate the ongoing consolidation in the insurance market by helping them create more efficient business and revenue models. The team has litigation at its roots, but also has a developing focus on non-contentious work, principally in relation to policyholders. The team, which is led by Samantha Holland, advises on matters relating to warranty and indemnity insurance, M&A and the insurtech sector.
‘Proactive, creative where required and very efficient. They are accountable and will hit tight deadlines.’
Thomas Miller Holdings Limited
Ecclesiastical Insurance Office Plc
Crispin Speers and Partners Limited
Arthur J. Gallagher
- Acted for Thomas Miller Holdings Ltd on its acquisition of international marine consultancy, Brookes Bell LLP.
- Acting for Thomas Miller in connection with its acquisition of Navigators’ fixed-premium protection and indemnity business, which supports consolidation in the protection and indemnity market.
- Advised a consortium on the insurance aspects of its £1bn+ acquisition of a commercial estate portfolio.
- Advised the shareholders of a successful UK tech company on the insurance aspects of its sale including advising on the strategic use of warranty and indemnity cover.
- Advised a large fund on the procurement and negotiation of a substantial rights of light insurance policy in connection with a large city centre mixed use development.
Sidley Austin LLP
Sidley Austin LLP's London practice, which is well-regarded by many of its peers, specialises in Part VII business transfer schemes for both UK and non-UK businesses. Martin Membery, who co-heads the firm’s global insurance practice and leads the London insurance and financial services group, exclusively focuses on the insurance sector, handling work relating to M&A, distribution arrangements, regulatory matters and transfer of longevity risk.
Stephenson Harwood has a strong track record of work on insurance acquisitions, with Sam Gray recently handling a string of deals for clients such as The Ardonagh Group and Arthur J Gallagher & Co, including Ardonagh's acquisition of Carole Nash Insurance Consultants Limited. The team, which regularly handles transactions with a cross-border element, works in tandem with the wider firm's tax, commercial litigation, incentives and private equity teams.
Other key lawyers:
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co
The Ardonagh Group Limited
Ed Broking Group Limited
Broker Network Partners Holdings Limited
Stevens & Bolton LLP has been developing its commercial insurance practice since the arrival of Gary Parnell from Clyde & Co LLP in 2015. He now works with a team of three partners in the field, covering a range of work including corporate insurance broker M&A transactions. David Steinberg, who joined the firm in 2016 after a long career at Clifford Chance LLP, has expertise in insurance restructuring and insolvency cases. The team also regularly advises underwriters, intermediaries and technology providers.
Allianz Insurance plc
QIC Global / Qatar Insurance Company
Broker Network Limited
Home Insurance Company: Ernst & Young
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Acted for specialist insurance broker and longstanding client Stackhouse Poland on its sale to Gallagher and three further corporate transactions in 2018.
- Advised the management team of Broker Network, the UK’s leading network for independent insurance brokers, on three acquisitions.
- Advised EY as officeholders of the UK branch of US-incorporated insurer The Home Insurance Company, which has been in liquidation since 2003.
- Provided Broker Network Limited with full-service commercial insurance support on all of its day-to-day commercial agreements.