Fraud: civil in London
Allen & Overy LLP's team of 'excellent litigators' represents claimants and defendants, including large corporates and financial institutions, in multijurisdictional fraud cases involving bribery, embezzlement, corruption and many other areas of financial crime. Jonathan Hitchin's expertise includes representing clients in cross-border corruption cases and criminal investigations brought by the SFO. Mahmood Lone specialises in advising financial institutions facing allegations of fraud or mis-selling of financial products. Brandon O’Neil is dual-qualified in the UK and New York, enabling him to act for clients in parallel proceedings involving asset tracing and fraud. Associates Helen Biggin and Juliet de Pencier are both very active in international fraud disputes. Former partner Mona Vaswani left the practice to join Milbank in 2019.
‘A&O are well known as leaders in their field for high profile complex litigation and our experience of working with them affirms this.’
‘Senior associate Juliet de Pencier is very easy to work with and is always professional in her communications with us and the Claimants. She is extremely organised and a very hard worker.’
- Advising a major bank on significant litigation in England and Italy arising from a series of complex, high-value transactions with another bank.
- Acting for the claimants in proceedings relating to a structured finance transaction, the proceeds of which are alleged to have been embezzled by third parties.
- Acting for Rangers in relation to disputes (including allegations of deceit and unlawful means conspiracy) arising out of its commercial relationship with SDI Retail Services Limited about the manufacture and retail of Rangers’ kit.
Baker McKenzie's 'very capable' practice is regularly engaged by clients in complex cross-border fraud disputes and asset tracing matters, including conspiracy claims and economic torts. Charles Thomson has particular expertise in commercial disputes and investigations involving fraud and white-collar crime. Hugh Lyons often represents clients in fraud and financial misconduct litigation, in addition to acting for some clients on a pro-bono basis. Senior associate Henry Garfield, who previously worked in the Serious Fraud Office through a secondment, focuses on commercial disputes involving cross-border fraud. In a recent case, Lyons served as lead counsel for Prandicle Limited, a third party in a $1bn dispute in the English commercial court involving fraud allegations in Ukraine.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are particularly user-friendly and their global reach makes them very useful in global investigations. The team uses technology to drive investigations and gain insights for clients.’
‘Hugh Lyons is very strong tactically and great with clients.
‘Charles Thomson is a tier one lawyer and a pleasure to work with.’
Abdullah Bin Obaid
The Official Receiver of the Bangkok Bank of Commerce
Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC
Bidcorp Foodservice (Europe) Ltd
The Kuwait Investment Office
- Representing the largest Islamic bank in the UAE, Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC, in multijurisdictional proceedings before the High Court arising from a large-scale receivables fraud in the early 2000s and a settlement of claims in 2007 and also involve related criminal proceedings.
- Representing Gazprom Export LLC on a matter which involves High Court fraud litigation brought by Gazprom, the world’s largest exporter of natural gas, against a number of Bulgarian companies and their ultimate beneficial owner in relation to the dilution of shares in the subsidiary of a 50/50 joint venture between Overgas Holding and GPE and Gazprom, and involving losses of over £100m.
- Acting for Dr Kasem Narongdej in High Court proceedings in respect of an alleged fraudulent conspiracy involving the transfer of shares worth several billion US dollars.
Boutique firm Byrne and Partners LLP is instructed in leading civil fraud disputes spanning multiple jurisdictions. The firm also has notable expertise in related areas such as asset forfeiture, extradition, white-collar crime and regulatory disputes. 'Pre-eminent fraud lawyer' Nicola Boulton handles fraud, trust and financial services disputes, including cases involving worldwide freezing orders. 'Steely and determined litigator' Elizabeth Seborg continues to be involved in a wide array of cross-border fraud cases in regions such as Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Ben Davies has particular expertise in obtaining and discharging freezing orders, in addition to a strong track record in extradition matters. In one matter, Boulton and Seborg are defending Balda Foundation and Nysco Management Corporation against a $1.85bn corruption claim by Vale, with ongoing proceedings in Guinea, Israel, Switzerland and the UK. Yvonne Jefferies recently retired and Adam Zoubir left the practice to join Harcus Parker Limited.
‘The team led by Nicola Boulton comprises a first rate set of individuals with unrivalled experience of litigating in the area of civil fraud. The team has strength in depth while the firm remains small enough that each case is afforded heavy partner involvement and support. The approach is partner-led with the partners being supported by an able team of more junior lawyers.’
‘An incredibly strong boutique operation. A very savvy and effective team which can outperform much bigger firms on complex cases. I think the practice is pretty unique in being able to run cases highly effectively with a small, dedicated team.’
‘Nicola Boulton is a very experienced litigator, excellent at understanding the core issues very swiftly. She is a sophisticated negotiator and has an excellent understanding of litigation risk/reward in each case and how to achieve commercially pragmatic solutions. Well respected in her field.’
‘Ben Davies is a very diligent litigator. Organised, methodical and excellent ability to marshal facts of each case. Extremely effective communicator.’
‘Nicola Boulton is probably the best fraud lawyer in London. Astute, and with superb judgment, she knows exactly which cases are worth pursuing and where the important evidence lies.’
‘Nicky Bolton is a celebrated and battle-scarred veteran of many a fraud claim, with tactical brilliance and fine tuned instincts as to how to manage big ticket litigation. ‘
‘Elizabeth Seborg really identifies and hones in on what matters in a case, able to process a myriad of matters and quickly work out what needs to be done in the client’s best interests. She has a great knowledge of the range of claims, defences and applications available to a fraud litigator, and when to deploy them.’
‘Elizabeth Seborg’s easy charm belies her tactical and legal abilities which make her the accomplished litigator that she is; the fact that she is also an incredibly hard-working lawyer is an added bonus.’
Balda Foundation and Nysco Management Corporation
Muna Al Wazzan
Group of five defendants to Danish tax fraud claim
Lopag Trust Reg
Nicolay Sochin and Balfour Worldwide Limited
- Acting for Ukrainian oligarch Pavel Ovcharenko in a $380m Commercial Court fraud claim brought by Russian oil producer Tatneft.
- Acting for Lopag Trustees in a $280m trust dispute spanning five jurisdictions, including Cayman and England.
- Acting for a major defendant in the £650m Commercial Court fraud/bribery claim brought by the Kuwaiti Public Institution for Social Security against Fahad Al-Rajaan and various Swiss banks.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP's 'devoted and experienced' team acts for a broad range of clients, including multinational companies, financial institutions and high-net-worth individuals. It is active in cross-border disputes in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and other regions. 'Excellent leader' Stewart Hey handles high-value fraud cases in various sectors, including energy and financial services. In one of his current highlights, Hey is acting for Awal Bank BSC in its pursuit of billions of dollars of assets allegedly lost as a result of fraudulent actions leading to the bank's collapse. 'Extremely committed and hard-working' partner Charlotte Pender, who is working with Hey in the aforementioned case, has over 10 years of experience of international fraud litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the top civil fraud outfits in London.’
‘Stewart Hey oozes class in his advice, judgement, and client handling skills.’
‘Stewart Hey always has his eye across all the different elements of complex cases, and has excellent strategic capabilities.’
‘Charlotte Pender has a great eye for detail but also always sees the bigger picture.’
‘This team stands out as an excellent team of hard-working, perceptive solicitors who are always willing to go the extra mile and leave no stone unturned. They will pull out all the stops to ensure that the client is delivered a top quality service. The team is also very approachable, friendly and easy to work with. ‘
Central Bank of Bahrain
Fica Frio Limited
Morris Homes Group
Ooredoo Q, s.c.
Aldemore Bank plc
The Public Trustee of the Bailiwick of Guernsey
- Successfully represented the Joint Official Liquidators of six Cayman Islands registered companies, known collectively as the AwalCos, who were among the 15 resulting defendants in the multibillion dollar trial which uncovered a £330bn Ponzi scheme.
- Pursuing the recovery of Awal’s $5.8bn of balance sheet assets, whilst defending those assets from hostile creditors.
- Acting in international proceedings for a former employee of a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell which (together with certain of its employees) is alleged to have engaged in international bribery and corruption.
DLA Piper excels in domestic and cross-border civil fraud cases in the financial services, energy, private wealth, media, sports and entertainment sectors. It is able to leverage its large litigation, arbitration, corporate crime and investigations practices to handle matters of the utmost complexity for clients. The firm also distinguishes itself through its third party funding group, which enables the team to take on class actions from groups of claimants who suffer financial harm from the same act of fraud. 'Consummate rainmaker and brilliant strategist' Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry focuses on cross-border disputes, including fraud and asset tracing matters in the banking, energy and natural resources sectors. Jeremy Andrews and Jamie Curle specialise in cross-border fraud and asset tracing litigation and arbitration. Associate Jeremy Sher stands out for his consistent involvement in high value, cross-border fraud disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘A strong commercial civil fraud team.’
‘Bright, user-friendly people across all stages. First-class service without pomposity and fuss.’
‘Jeremy Andrews is an excellent strategist and cool-headed in difficult situations.’
‘Jamie Curle is energetic and committed to the client’s cause.’
‘Jeremy Andrews has excellent leadership skills, is clear and reasonable in his expectations, and handles clients very well.’
Renova Industries Limited
- Successfully defended Thomas Kalaris against the Serious Fraud Office’s prosecution of events relating to capital raisings worth circa £12.8bn by Barclays in June and October 2008.
- Advising Renova Industries Limited et al on proceedings brought in the British Virgin Islands by Renova Industries Ltd for declaratory relief in respect of the alleged exercise of a joint venture exit mechanism.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP's 'outstanding' civil fraud practice represents large corporates and financial institutions in cross-border investigations, disputes and arbitration proceedings across numerous sectors, including energy, consumer products and TMT. Jeremy Garson often represents clients in cases involving fraud in Russia and CIS countries, including bribery and corruption claims. Gary Milner-Moore acts for clients in various commercial disputes involving fraud, including economic torts. Senior associate Kevin Kilgour is known for serving as lead counsel to major clients in fraud disputes. In a standout mandate, the team is defending Bernie Ecclestone against a £1bn claim by HMRC over alleged fraudulent misrepresentation in connection with a 2008 settlement agreement.
‘Herbert Smith Freehills are obvious one of the top litigation firms in London, and that is equally true in the civil fraud sphere. Excellent quality at the partner level, supported by numerous highly capable associates. One of the best around.’
‘Jeremy Garson is a very tough operator, who will really put the work in for his client.’
‘The individuals are invested in their cases and fight tenaciously for their clients. Jeremy Garson and Kevin Kilgour are standout.’
Tarek Investments Limited, Pontwelly Holdings Company Limited, AH Overseas Limited and Vladislav Doronin
Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation (SIPC); Addax Petroleum UK Limited
Gazprom Export LLC
Core Communication Investments Limited
- Successfully acting for billionaire businessman, Vlad Doronin, in actions arising from frauds committed against him in relation to his purchase of the Aman Resorts luxury hotel business.
- Successfully representing the Sinopec Group in a complex $5.5bn fraud claim against Repsol concerning the purchase of a North Sea upstream business.
- Acting for Bernie Ecclestone in one of the highest-value tax disputes involving an individual ever to have arisen in the UK.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's 'highly effective' team frequently represents a broad array of clients in cross-border fraud disputes involving complex and often novel points of law, with a particular focus on cases in Russia, the CIS and Libya. Crispin Rapinet has a wealth of experience in cases involving Asia and the Middle East. Chris Hardman focuses predominantly on civil fraud cases in the English Courts. Richard Lewis has a strong track record in cross-border fraud, including worldwide freezing injunctions. Hardman and Lewis are currently representing claimant JSC BTA Bank in a major dispute before the English courts against the bank's former chairman, Mr Ablyazov, and various other defendants, who allegedly stole over $6bn from the bank. Notably, one of the recent judgments reached in the Supreme Court in connection with this case set a precedent regarding the scope of unlawful means conspiracy. Partner Arwen Handley joined the firm from UBS in 2019, bringing particular expertise in financial crime to the group.
‘Probably the best civil fraud team in London. Huge experience, tremendous tactical sense, and a real drive to achieve results for the client.’
‘Hogan Lovells’ civil fraud practice is quite simply the best in the City. They have an unparalleled amount of expertise, especially at partner level.’
‘Richard Lewis is a tactical master and very experienced in running billion-dollar cases.’
‘The partners are ably supported by a phalanx of experienced, intelligent, and hungry associates.’
‘Huge strength in depth derived from having a dedicated team with decades of experience.’
‘Crispin Rapinet is a long-established name in this area who stands out as a leading expert, with fantastic judgement.’
Sergiy Taruta and Dargamo Holdings Limited
- Advising Sergiy Taruta and Dargamo Holdings on allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, dishonest assistance, knowing receipt and conspiracy in connection with a shareholder dispute between four Ukrainian oligarchs who were longstanding partners in one of Europe’s largest metals producers, Industrial Union of Donbass (ISD).
- Advising Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation in relation to the investigation by the SFO and a number of related court proceedings arising out of that investigation, including its $93m claim against the SFO itself.
- Advising JSC CB PrivatBank on a high-profile claim against its former shareholders, Igor Kolomoisky and Gennadiy Bogolyubov, and six companies alleged to be (secretly) owned by them.
Jones Day's large team excels in cross-border fraud, asset tracing and enforcement matters, where they act for a wide range of clients, including HNW individuals, private companies, financial institutions, liquidators and trustees. Barnaby C. Stueck has notable expertise in fraud, contentious insolvency, asset tracing and investment fund disputes. Sion Richards is well-placed to represent clients in multi-jurisdictional investigations and civil fraud litigation, often involving injunctive relief and asset tracing matters. Annabel Treadgold, who is qualified in England and Australia, has a strong reputation in injunctive relief and asset tracing matters. Associates James Fidler and Karl Moussalli are also key members of the group. Currently Stueck and Richards are acting for claimant Arcadia Petroleum in a high value case against the company's former management regarding their alleged misappropriation of oil trading profits.
‘Probably the best fraud team in London right now.’
‘Sion Richards (partner – leading from the front and at the top of his game); Annabel Treadgold (a new partner and rising star); Tom Besant (associate, superb drafter and surefire partner of the future).’
‘Almost peerless in the field of civil fraud; one of the very best firms. Excellent partners with superb back up from top-notch assistants. They are all over this space.’
‘Head of department Sion Richards goes from strength to strength ever year; he just keeps getting better. Barnaby Stueck is fantastic on anything with an insolvency angle and is very strong in Cayman/BVI cases. Annabel Treadgold is simply brilliant and incredibly hardworking.‘
‘Barnaby Stueck is one of the most impressive solicitors I have worked with in this area. He is well supported by excellent associates.‘
‘I have been closely working with associate Karl S. Moussalli in the context of complex multijurisdictional litigation. Karl is a great team player and solution-oriented lawyer. Through his legal knowledge and capacity of analysis, he provides excellent and pragmatic advice.‘
‘Jones Day is a premier firm for civil fraud cases, whether for claimant or defendant. Its partners take a grip of cases from day 1 and really to manage the detail as the case develop. It’s a very impressive service and they achieve fantastic results for their clients.‘
Sheikh Abdulrahman Khalid bin Mahfouz & Family and Arab Asian International Holding Company BSC
Hi-Level Enterprises Limited
- Advised Deloitte as liquidators of the Angel Group in their fraud and negligence claims against the Angel Group’s principal and auditors.
- Acting for T0DAY Development Partners and Jonathan Faiman in relation to their high-profile dispute with Ocado over alleged conspiracy and theft of confidential information.
- Acting for a major creditor of the Abraaj private equity group in relation to deceit and conspiracy claims against a number of Abraaj’s Cayman Islands funds.
Linklaters LLP is frequently engaged by banks and corporates to represent them in complex, multijurisdictional fraud disputes, including securities litigation, cyber fraud and accounting fraud. Michael Bennett, who is the global head of dispute resolution, focuses on internal and regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, which usually have a cross-border element. Satindar Dogra specialises in corporate crime and fraud cases, and has particular expertise in anti-bribery, sanctions and FCA compliance. Commercial litigator Rory Conway focuses predominantly on civil fraud cases. In one ongoing mandate, the firm is acting for liquidator Grant Thornton in its defence of a claim exceeding $4bn involving alleged fraud in the Cayman Islands by the Saad Investments Company and Singularis Holdings.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been working with various individuals from the Linklaters’ team and our impression is that all of them are very well trained and capable to conduct any type of sensitive investigation. The team members showed in-depth knowledge and understanding of internal investigation processes. Even though we have been working with them on investigation matters, one can note that Linklaters’ team also have excellent knowledge in other fields of law.’
‘A strong fraud team. The overall quality of the associates at every level makes them stand out from many rival firms in this area.’
‘Highly skilled individuals with depth of resource behind them. Client user friendly.’
Grant Thornton LLP
Bayerische Landesbank, London Branch
- Acting for Grant Thornton, the liquidators of Saad Investments Company Limited and Singularis Holdings Limited, in their ongoing defence on behalf of those companies of fraud claims exceeding $4bn, brought in the Cayman Islands by Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi and Brothers Company (AHAB).
- Acting for the London Branch of a major German bank, BLB, in relation to a series of disputes connected to the default and subsequent administration of the owner of a hotel group.
Mishcon de Reya LLP's 'absolutely brilliant' practice utilises its expertise in civil and criminal fraud disputes and investigations to represent clients in major mandates, often spanning multiple jurisdictions. The firm has a strong track record of pursuing civil injunctions, enabling clients to freeze assets and seize evidence. Another defining feature of the practice is its cyber fraud team, which has seen a consistent growth in disputes. Kathryn Garbett is known for providing strategic advice to high-net-worth individuals and businesses facing civil claims, investigations and prosecution. Kasra Nouroozi focuses on complex disputes, investigations and injunctions, particularly those taking place in offshore financial centres, the Middle East, Russia and CIS countries. Martin Shobbrook has 20 years of experience of civil fraud litigation and has particular expertise in asset tracing. Claire Broadbelt is a key member of the firm's fraud defence group. Gary Miller has a strong track record in commercial disputes involving allegations of fraud, corruption and dishonesty.
‘One of the top firms for civil fraud in London. As good as it gets.’
Ocado Group plc
Fahad Al Rajaan
Koza Altin Isletmelerei A.S., Turkey’s largest gold mining company (“KA”)
CFL Finance Ltd
Alfred E Mann Living Trust
- Acting for ArcelorMittal USA in an enforcement dispute which involved the launch of a $1.5bn conspiracy claim against 10 defendants across a number of jurisdictions.
- Acting for Koza Altin Isletmelerei A.S., Turkey’s largest gold mining company, in a dispute relating to the control of the English subsidiary of Koza, involving a successful Supreme Court appeal on jurisdiction.
- Acting for Georgy Bedzhamov, a Russian businessman who is alleged to have participated in large-scale fraud leading to a collapse of Vneshprombank LLC in Russia in 2015.
PCB Litigation LLP specialises in cross-border fraud and asset recovery. The firm is also well-versed in cyber crime, white-collar crime, insolvency and trusts litigation. Anthony Riem has a strong track record in fraud matters in Russia, and he continues to act for several of the country's large national banks in high-value fraud and asset recovery cases. The 'incredibly bright and analytical' Trevor Mascarenhas is well known for his role in major cases before the Supreme Court, Privy Council and the House of Lords, including the case which established that the court has the power to make a search order against a third party. Nick Ractliff has particular expertise in commercial and civil fraud cases involving freezing, search and disclosure orders. In a recent highlight, Ractliff served as lead counsel to Russian state liquidator Deposit Insurance Agency in its pursuit of fraud claims against Georgiy Bedzhamov and others, resulting in a High Court order freezing £1.34bn in assets. Jon Felce has been involved in several major cross-border fraud cases recently.
‘PCB are a boutique who punch above their weight. You routinely see them engaged in the biggest and most high-profile civil fraud cases. Much of the reason is down to high calibre senior partners Anthony Riem and Trevor Mascarenhas, bringing on more junior partners such as Jon Felce, and in turn attracting serious talent from bigger name firms.’
J’on Felce, though only two years into partnership, is a rising star. He is technically excellent, tactically savvy, and hard-working.’
‘Anthony Riem sits on top of the pyramid, overseeing cases, and adding sprinkling tactical gold-dust where necessary.’
‘A powerhouse specialist team with significant experience dealing with all manners of civil fraud matters.’
JSC VTB Bank
KMG International NV
Domestic & General
PL Holdings Sarl
- Co-ordinating a £450m+ asset recovery for Tatyana Akhmedova, the beneficiary of one of the UK’s largest ever divorce awards in 8 jurisdictions.
- Successfully defending Vadim Kargin in a $100m oligarch joint venture dispute, both in the Commercial Court and the Court of Appeal.
- Representing KMG International NV in relation to an alleged £50m dissipation designed to thwart enforcement of a $200m arbitration award.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's London team works with a nationwide group of civil and criminal fraud experts in major disputes and investigations that often span multiple jurisdictions. The practice has particularly strong expertise in group litigation, cyber fraud and contentious insolvency cases involving fraud allegations. 'Enthusiastic litigator' Alan Sheeley has over 20 years of experience in the field, which includes representing clients in offshore and onshore trust litigation and cross-border investment frauds. Andrew Herring leads the firm's civil fraud and asset recovery work in the manufacturing and technology industries, and plays a pivotal role in some of the firm's major cases. Sheeley and Herring are currently acting for the Danish Customs and Tax Administration, Skatteforvaltningen, in high-profile claims against 102 defendants in multiple countries, relating to their alleged participation in a fraudulent dividend tax refund scheme. Associates Jennifer Craven and Andrew Barns-Graham have notable expertise in cyber crime cases and trust litigation, respectively.
‘A great team capable of throwing people at a problem quickly.’
‘Alan Sheeley is a very talented litigator with huge amounts of experience in the civil fraud arena.’
‘Highly experienced team with great depth of expertise in relation to international fraud.’
Trade Point Agro
Rossyn Investing Corp
BDO LLP liquidators
LLB Verwaltung (Schweiz) AG
Oriental Energy Resources
- Advised a large group of claimants in a group litigation concerning a failed care home development scheme offered by Carlauren Group.
- Acting for defendant companies (Teamtrend, Trade Point Agro, Collyer, Rossyn Investing Corp, Milbert Ventures Inc and Zao Ukrtransitservice) in relation to a $2.6bn claim brought by a Ukrainian bank in the English High Court.
- Advising The Danish Customs and Tax Administration as a claimant in a complex multi-party, multijurisdictional fraud claim seeking to recover £1.5bn in the English High Court.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Predominantly acting for plaintiffs, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP's 'highly motivated' team is regularly instructed in major cross-border fraud cases, with a particular strength in claims involving Russian and Ukrainian parties. The firm also excels in arbitration proceedings, as well as litigation concerning the enforcement or challenge of arbitral awards. Nick Marsh specialises in extremely high-stakes fraud cases and asset tracing disputes. He is acting for the Gaiduk family and their company Avonwick in a £1.2bn fraud claim against Ukrainian politician Sergey Taruta and oligarch Oleg Mkrtchan, which involves allegations of extortion and bribery. Khaled Khatoun has considerable expertise in multijurisdictional fraud disputes, particularly those relating to the Middle East and UAE. Associates Gregory Pantlin, Marina Boterashvili and Hafsa Zayyan are also recommended. Sue Prevezer QC has joined Brick Court Chambers.
‘Nick Marsh is the Usain Bolt of civil fraud partners in London. He is super quick to spot the winning points in a case; he outwits the opposition strategically; and he powers through long trials.’
‘Quinn is the team to go to for the difficult, big-ticket civil fraud actions, particularly CIS disputes. They have strength in depth and will leave no stone unturned for their clients.’
‘Khaled Khatoun has a deft touch with clients, first-rate judgement and is always thinking a couple of steps ahead.’
Vitaliy Gaiduk and Elena Gaiduk
Federal Insurance Deposit Corporation
Peter Bosworth and Colin Hurley
Raga Establishment Limited
Vladimir Chernukhin, Lubov Chernukhin and Navigator Equities Limited
Quantum Global Group
Terre Neuve SARL, Largely Investments SA and Laurent Zahut
Bluecrest Capital Management UK LLP and Special Capital Limited
Avonwick Holdings Limited
Gerald Metals SA
- Advised on Avonwick’s $1bn claim against Sergiy Taruta and Oleg Mktrchan and Mr and Mrs Gaiduk’s defence of Mr Taruta’s substantial counterclaims, all of which arose from Ukraine’s largest M&A deal, the $2.7bn sale of Industrial Union of Donbass.
- Representing PCP Capital Partners in a £1.5bn civil claim against Barclays, arising from fraudulent misrepresentations which PCP alleges were made to it by Barclays in the context of its capital raising in 2008.
- Advised Raga on obtaining and enforcing an $800m LCIA arbitration award against SCM Group and its UBO Rinat Akhmetov, including freezing London’s most expensive apartment (One Hyde Park) and obtaining English, Dutch and Cypriot freezing orders.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons team specialises in complex financial fraud, cross-border asset tracing and international enforcement. It often works closely with the white-collar crime team to provide clients with full-service advice. Nick Benwell has a strong track record in large-scale investigations spanning multiple jurisdictions, in addition to a wealth of experience of matters involving corporate crime, corruption, money laundering and fraud litigation. 'Brilliant litigator' Patrick Boylan has notable expertise in fraud disputes originating in the CIS countries, Asia and various offshore jurisdictions, with a particular focus on interim relief and tracing remedies. Adam Brown is often involved in high profile cross-border fraud cases. Chloe Morris is also a very active member of the team.
‘Simmons & Simmons’ civil fraud unit has wide experience of domestic and cross border fraud claims, acting for both claimants and defendants. The breadth of experience across the team means that clients can be confident that whatever the issue, someone in the S&S team will have dealt with it before.’
‘Patrick Boylan has a level head and mature approach, and a calm manner that can reassure clients.’
‘Adam Brown’s abilities have been recognised by his promotion to partner, which is richly deserved after his outstanding work on many civil fraud cases. His knowledge of the law and ability to drill down into the detail of the case stand him apart from many others.’
Macquarie Bank Limited
BH Asset Management Limited
Macquarie Bank Limited
Animo Associates Limited (Animo)
- Representing the former CFO of Autonomy Corporation plc, Sushovan Hussain in one of the largest civil claims to come before the English Court.
- Defending Macquarie Bank against a complex $82m contract/fraud claim relating to the trading of oil futures.
- Representing Nori, Centimila and Coniston in a $600m arbitration, and two high-net-worth individual defendants in a near-identical dispute, both of which involve what was one of Russia’s largest private banks, Otkritie Bank.
Stephenson Harwood's 'excellent' team has a wealth of expertise in fraud disputes involving Russian and CIS clients, in addition to high stakes commercial fraud litigation before the English courts. The team is also well-known for its ability to obtain urgent injunctions, including freezing, search and receivership orders. 'Tenacious' solicitor-advocate Ros Prince specialises in international fraud and financial services litigation, with a particular focus on emerging markets. Alan Bercow acts for large corporates and high-net-worth individuals in fraud litigation, asset tracing and recovery matters. John Fordham has a wealth of experience representing a diverse array of clients in civil fraud litigation, including sovereign bodies, companies and individuals. Senior associate Priya Grigoriadis represents clients in civil fraud proceedings in the High Court, through international arbitration and mediation.
‘The team are thoughtful and careful in their approach and deliver thorough, well-considered advice. They offer workable solutions to problems and are collaborative in their approach.’
‘Small focused team of lawyers who all understand the overall aim of the litigation. Excellent contacts in the CIS region.’
‘Ros Prince has an amazing ability to be all over the detail, whilst at the same time steering the strategy decisions. Excellent at dealing with clients.’
‘Ros Prince is very thorough and good at devising solutions to problems. She is very responsive and partners with clients effectively.’
‘Alan Bercow is a calm and efficient lawyer who is highly respected in the market and by his team. Runs a team and case with clarity and efficiency.’
Former shareholders of Yukos Oil Company
Libyan Investment Authority
SPL Guernsey ICC Ltd
Ravikant Ruia, Prashant Ruia, Sushil Baid and Uday Kumar Gujadhur
Shane Crooks and Malcolm Cohen of BDO LLP
ICICI Bank UK Plc
- Advising the former shareholders of Yukos Oil Company on their enforcement action in England in relation to a $54bn billion arbitration award against the Russian Federation.
- Acting in relation to the affairs of the Libyan Investment Authority (“LIA”), representing one of the persons claiming to be chairman of the LIA in various claims, based on misappropriation of Libyan assets during the Gaddafi era, in different jurisdictions around the world, including the UK, Cayman Islands, the Netherlands and France and including the appointment by the English Commercial Court of receivers and managers in relation to LIA assets and claims.
- Defending Igor Mints in a case brought by two Russian banks, PJSC National Bank Trust and PJSC Bank Otkritie Financial Corporation, claiming $572m against him, his father and his two brothers.
Bird & Bird LLP's practice acts for corporations, professionals and individuals. It acts on a broad cross-section of fraud disputes and asset tracing matters, including those involving money laundering, pension fraud, market abuse claims and various investigations. Sophie Eyre, who specialises in ancillary relief applications and trust issues arising from fraud claims, is active in the UK's court system and in other jurisdictions, including the Isle of Man, Gibraltar and Jersey. In a recent matter, Eyre and associate Simona Peter represented claimant Carpatsky Petroleum Corporation against Ukrnafta, which was a retrial of all issues dealt with in Stockholm arbitration proceedings, regarding fraud allegations, validity of agreements and corporate identities.
Other key lawyers:
Basis Technologies International Limited
Konstantin Grigoryevich Kagalovsky
A defendant in SKAT (the Danish Customs and Tax Administration)
Carpatsky Petroleum Corporation
Vega Petroleum Limited
- Acting for defendant Fiji Airways in counterclaim for breach of aircraft leases in Abbotswood Shipping Corporation v Air Pacific Limited.
- Acting for claimant Basis Technologies International in proceedings for breach of fiduciary duties, directors loans, shareholding blocks, derivative claims and deferred income claims.
- Acting for defendant Konstantin Grigoryevich Kagalovsky in proceedings arising out of allegations of asset stripping relating to Ukrainian TV rights and channels.
Brown Rudnick LLP
Brown Rudnick LLP's fraud group handles asset tracing and asset protection, arbitration proceedings, fraud involving financial institutions, corporate investigations and white-collar crime disputes, among other areas. Neill Shrimpton focuses on domestic and international disputes, including fraud litigation in the British Virgin Islands and the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal. Jane Colston has a strong track record in complex civil fraud cases and investigations. Neil Micklethwaite has notable expertise in civil fraud disputes and asset protection matters in Russia and CIS countries. Partner Ravi Nayer joined the firm from Pinsent Masons LLP in January 2020.
‘A very professional outfit with significant expertise and capability to rival the best firms in the market internationally.’
‘Jane Colston is a standout civil fraud litigator who deserves to be recognised as one of the very best litigators in London.’
‘Christian Toms is a highly focused, technically excellent partner with broad shoulders and a eye on the result at all times.’
‘An exceptional team who integrate seamlessly with the client and counsel to deliver very high-quality litigation strategies with the client firmly at the centre.’
‘Brown Rudnick has a strong international profile and reach. Strong thought leaders.’
‘Neil Micklethwaite has become one of the leading solicitors in London. He has great standing. Popular with clients. Strong on strategy and developing a case theory. Clients like the way he is fully committed to their case.’
‘Jane Colston is everybody’s favourite litigation partner. Indefatigable. Driven. Humane. Efficient.’
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP's 'very responsive, engaged and attentive' team acts for clients in investigations, civil and criminal fraud disputes, and provides advice in relation to regulatory compliance and enforcement. Segun Osuntokun represents state governments and entities, energy and natural resources companies, large companies and high-net-worth individuals in international fraud disputes. Graham Shear, who is 'hugely experienced and utterly dedicated', focuses on pursuing civil fraud for corporates and individuals and handling crisis management. Associate Andrew Street is a solicitor advocate with significant experience of civil fraud litigation, including cases involving freezing injunctions, breaches of fiduciary duty and offshore trust structures.
‘The BCLP team have genuine strength in depth and real experience in a wide range of civil fraud work. They are commercial, pragmatic and very much client-focused – always looking for the right solution for the client, whether that may be an inventive without notice injunction or looking to drive an early settlement.’
‘The team are quite personable and extremely capable.’
‘Graham Shear leads from the front and runs a team of committed associates. He has bags of common sense and the tactical nous of a seasoned litigation street fighter.’
Torchlight Fund Limited and its General Partner, Torchlight GP Limited
World First UK Limited
Accuro (Fund Manager)
- Represented Josef Eim, Radek Stacha, Consult II sro and Pavel Ivanyi in a successful claim against Shire Warwick Lewis Capital Limited concerning investment fraud.
- Representing defendant Torchlight Fund and Torchlight GP in a dispute in the Cayman islands courts, involving winding up proceedings brought by the petitioner, which the clients allege are part of a conspiracy to remove the general partner of the fund.
Clifford Chance LLP's fraud practice focuses on overseas asset recovery, corruption and an array of other disputes in the field. Matthew Scully, who is noted for his 'calm and responsible presence', has over 17 years of experience in fraud disputes and asset recovery litigation that often involve multinational corporates. Roger Best's expertise includes acting for clients in investigations and disputes regarding corruption and money laundering. Kelwin Nicholls currently leads the team defending Michael Lynch (founder of Autonomy) in high-value M&A disputes involving alleged fraud, which includes parallel proceedings in the US. Claire Freeman is active in commercial litigation, arbitration and regulatory matters involving fraud.
‘Top-class firm-wide expertise in all areas of law. Always sensible.’
‘Top quality, and getting much of the biggest work around.’
Michael Lynch, Founder of Autonomy
- Acting for Michael Lynch (founder of Autonomy) in a high-profile M&A dispute involving litigation and investigations on both sides of the Atlantic, with total losses claimed in excess of $5bn.
- Acted for a Russian respondent to a freezing injunction brought by two groups of Russian investors regarding investments in bonds made by the claimants, involving issues of alleged misselling and allegations of conspiracy.
- Representing one of the defendant companies in a claim regarding an alleged distributed denial of service attack on a telecommunications company with operations in Africa.
CMS' 'pragmatic and efficient' team predominantly represents clients in international commercial fraud cases in the banking, energy and insurance sectors. The firm's wide ambit of cases includes corruption, tax evasion, cyber fraud and money laundering claims. Bernard O’Sullivan advises claimants and defendants in relation to commercial litigation involving civil fraud and asset recovery. Omar Qureshi specialises in sensitive fraud and corporate crime disputes and investigations. In one ongoing matter, O'Sullivan is serving as lead counsel to three defendants (Golden Music, Cornwallis Limited and Ms Khunying Korkaew) facing a $1bn-2bn fraud claim, where it has been asserted that they were involved in an unlawful means conspiracy to defraud the claimant. Eoin O’Shea joined as head of white collar crime in mid-2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS is a well-resourced, well-run law firm with first class lawyers.’
‘Omar Qureshi is a first-class lawyer, with a keen eye for detail.’
‘Eoin O’Shea is an exceptional team leader – an excellent lawyer, strategically astute and very experienced.’
Slater & Gordon (UK) 1 Limited
Yukos Capital (and related entities and individuals)
Yukos International UK BV, Yukos Capital Limited, Yukos Hydrocarbons Investments Limited
Yukos Hydrocarbons Investments Limited
Essar Capital Services (UK) Limited
Golden Music Limited, Cornwallis Limited and Ms Khunying Korkaew Boonyachinda
Viva Telecom (Luxembourg) SA
Yuksel Insaat AS and Yuksel Holding AS and 5 x individual directors
Sports Information Services Limited
- Representing Mr Alexander Gorbachev in his high-profile £2bn claim against Russian billionaire Andrey Grigoryevich Guriev to recover 24.75% of the issued share capital of PhosAgro (and associated dividends), which Mr Gorbachev alleges was the subject of oral agreements with and declarations of trust by Mr Guriev.
- Acted for S&G in its high profile fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of warranty claim against Watchstone Group plc (formerly Quindell plc) arising from the highly-publicised acquisition by S&G of Quindell’s legal services division in 2015.
- Acting for Essar in defending $1.5bn recognition and enforcement proceedings brought by ArcelorMittal.
Enyo Law LLP
Enyo Law LLP's 'very professional and efficient' practice represents high-net-worth individuals and corporates in civil fraud cases, which includes securing and enforcing judgments around the world. Pietro Marino focuses on commercial fraud, asset tracing and offshore contentious trust disputes. Edward Allen is known for advising sovereign states, corporations and high-net-worth individuals in civil fraud and financial services litigation. Nick Jones has a wealth of experience of international fraud and asset tracing mandates.
‘The practice offers clear, concise, commercial thinking – and an ability to cut to the heart of the case, even in the most complex civil fraud matters.’
‘Pietro Marino has years of litigation experience, and thoroughly immerses himself in each and every one of his cases.’
‘Edward Allen’s drafting style is crisp, concise, and effective.’
Mr Gennadiy Bogolyubov
LBJ Sports Apparel Limited trading as The Elite Group
Mr Federico Ceretti, Mr Carlo Grosso and FIM Limited
Sheikh Walid Bin Ibrahim al Ibrahim
The Libyan Investment Authority
Mr Dmitri Merinson
Thamesview Investments Limited
Mr Mikhail Shlosberg
- Representing Mr Gennadiy Bogolyubov as one of the defendants to a substantial claim for circa £1.9bn brought by PrivatBank, a Ukrainian state-owned bank, against its former owners.
- Co-ordinating proceedings in France and Luxembourg to lift attachments over The Libyan Investment Authority assets for $1bn; conducting bribery proceedings against JP Morgan and others for $100m; conducting bribery proceedings against Credit Suisse and others for $100m.
- Defending Sheikh Walid Bin Ibrahim al Ibrahim against claims that he borrowed thirty million, pursuant to an oral contract, which he now must repay the claimant.
With a particular focus on Russian, Ukrainian and CIS fraud, Fieldfisher's 'smart and commercial' team handles investigations, litigation and global asset tracing. It demonstrates particular expertise securing freezing and search orders in tight time-frames. Tony Lewis has a strong track record in commercial fraud and asset tracing matters, including corruption and money laundering cases. Andrew Lafferty often handles high-profile cases involving clients in Russia and Eastern Europe. Associate Nathan Capone specialises in multijurisdictional fraud and investigations.
‘The Fieldfisher team is unique because the financial crime team works closely with their civil fraud and regulatory departments and therefore they have a strong understanding of the interplay between concurrent criminal, civil and regulatory proceedings.’
‘The Fieldfisher team is carving out a prominent role in the civil fraud market. It is also developing a niche practice in cyber fraud matters.’
N’athan Capone is extremely intelligent and very hardworking.’
‘Tony Lewis is a seasoned litigator with excellent judgement, and an astute strategist.’
Mr Igor Kolomoisky
Equix Diamonds DMCC
Stephen Jennings and Robert Reid (Yukos Oil dispute)
PwC (as liquidators of Goldtrail Travel Limited)
Palmsprings Limited, Springfield Limited, Ekerland Services Limited, Corsham Limited (defence of claims by the Trustees in Bankruptcy of Mikhail Shlosberg)
Joseph Benkel (acting as trustee in bankruptcy of Eliezer Fishman)
- Acting for Igor Kolomoisky, one of the defendants in a $2.6bn freezing order brought by PrivatBank.
- Acted for claimant Maria Alessandra Foglia in one of the earliest ‘persons unknown’ freezing injunctions to recover substantial monies for our client.
- Successfully defended Stephen Jennings and Robert Reid in a claim for $40m brought by the Yukos Oil Company in one of the most high-profile Commercial Court cases of 2019, which received significant press coverage.
Macfarlanes LLP's 'very professional' team specialises in commercial, private wealth and banking fraud, with a particular focus on cases originating in Russia, Ukraine and the CIS. The practice is also well-known for its litigation funding work, having advised several funders on the structuring of their largest funding deals. The 'strategically brilliant' James Popperwell has a strong track record in a diverse range of international fraud claims, encompassing bribery, corruption, money-laundering and insolvency. Barry Donnelly has a wealth of expertise in investigations and litigation proceedings involving UK and overseas regulatory bodies, such as the FCA, the SFO and the DOJ. Associates Joanna Constantis and Nikolas Ireland are also key members of the team.
‘James Popperwell, thanks to the efficiency and experience of his team, has been able to provide our clients with advice that has ultimately saved them from incurring unnecessary cost and allowed them to make properly informed decisions. James is also a world-leading expert on litigation funding.’
‘James Popperwell is both into the details and brilliant at seeing the big picture of things. Very pleasant to work with.’
‘James Popperwell is a lawyer of exceptional professional qualities and knowledge. I enjoyed working with him.’
‘Nikolas Ireland and Joanna Constantis are both very professional lawyers; smart, attentive to details and with excellent analytical skills.’
Primekings Limited, Robin Fisher, Geoff Ziedler, Barry Stiefel
British Bankers’ Association
United Company Rusal
- Acting for Vitaly Orlov in the High Court in relation to a $500m dispute relating to his business Norebo.
- Representing a number of individuals and an entity in a dispute in the BVI courts over a $1bn abortive joint venture in the Russian energy sector.
- Representing the 200+ bank members of the BBA and BBA LIBOR Ltd in defence of a multibillion dollar claim in the Commercial Court.
Norton Rose Fulbright's team of 'highly motivated and experienced litigators' acts for sovereign entities, corporates and financial institutions. Its work covers cross-border and domestic fraud disputes and asset tracing matters, including those involving cyber-fraud, bribery and corruption. Solicitor-advocate Ruth Cowley, who is dual-qualified in the UK and Hong Kong, focuses on fraud and corruption investigations and litigation, often involving parties in Africa. Michael Godden and Matthew Waudby specialise in civil fraud, asset tracing and banking and finance disputes. Harriet Jones-Fenleigh handles cross-border fraud disputes and arbitration proceedings.
‘Norton Rose Fulbright’s civil fraud practice is very strong. They have been involved in some of the highest profile cases in this area and have excellent lawyers at every level.’
‘Experienced, intelligent and user-friendly. A great team with strength and depth.’
‘Excellent all-round practice – high quality individuals, well organised, hardworking, very clever and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Harriet Jones-Fenleigh is an excellent young partner – very switched on and hardworking.’
‘Norton Rose Fulbright have appeared in a number of market-leading fraud cases in recent years.’
‘Ruth Cowley is a rising star in her field. She is an excellent technical lawyer and also very adept at handling big-ticket litigation. In recent years she has acted in a number of substantial fraud disputes, delivering excellent results for her clients.’
‘Michael Godden is a partner with a hugely impressive legal mind as well as a great tactical nous.’
‘Ruth Cowley is tremendously clever, an excellent lawyer, tactically savvy, and an outstanding team leader. She is helping to drive a first-rate litigation department into the top tier. Her manner with clients is second to none – they simply love her. Really first rate.’
The Republic of Angola
Banco Nacional de Angola (the Angolan Central Bank)
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd
Orange Liberia, Inc.
- Successfully recovered over £500m for a sovereign state and central bank in a high profile, cross-border, civil fraud claim before the Commercial Court – dubbed one of the largest attempted bank heists ever by the Wall Street Journal.
- Advising Citi on its high profile £285m dispute with Mercuria arising from a suspected fraud by a Chinese trading company and employees of the port companies and the subsequent lockdown of those ports by the authorities.
- Advising Orange Liberia, Inc. on a high-value and multi-party complex cross-jurisdictional conspiracy claim arising from a high-profile cyber-attack in Liberia.
Peters & Peters Solicitors LLP's 'inventive and supportive' civil fraud team acts for clients involved in high value cross-border disputes. 'Highly effective litigator' Keith Oliver has a strong track record in complex fraud disputes, asset tracing and recovery matters. Jonathan Tickner has over 25 years of experience as a civil fraud litigator, encompassing areas such as bribery, deceit and breach of fiduciary duty. Sarah Gabriel, who is 'super smart and creative', specialises in asset recovery and commercial litigation and arbitration. Jason Woodland focuses on high-stakes commercial litigation and antitrust disputes, many of which contain allegations of fraud.
‘Peters & Peters are a go-to firm for civil fraud, partly because of the very high-quality work and experience of their fee earners, but also due to the appealing mix of high-stakes white collar criminal work alongside the civil fraud offering.’
‘Keith Oliver is the rainmaker’s rainmaker. Never far from his next instruction, this ebullient lawyer is very well known in the civil fraud market, both in the UK and internationally.’
‘Jonathan Tickner is very experienced, incisive and a delight with clients.’
‘Sarah Gabriel is a natural warrior, who finds solutions to complex problems by sound analysis and persistence.’
‘A strong boutique litigation practice, with deep experience of criminal and regulatory issues putting the firm in a unique position for civil fraud cases, whether acting for claimants or defendants.’
‘Keith Oliver is a longstanding leader in the field, with deep knowledge and experience – a skilled litigator.’
‘In my view, Peters & Peters is the best specialised civil fraud firm in London: every civil fraud partner is excellent in their own right.’
‘Keith Oliver: the doyen of the London civil fraud litigation market.’
The Republic of Mozambique (acting through its Attorney General)
Secretary of State for Health and the NHS Business Services Authority
Mr Burak Baslilar
Mr Umit Hazinedaroglu
Anthony Barness & 124 others – The “Ingenious Litigation”
Newmafruit Farms Limited
Fine Art Partners GMBH & Co KG
Pure Energy Development Sàrl and Elnur Aliyev
Philippe Bertherat (Pictet)
- Acting for the Republic of Mozambique (through its Attorney General) in claims worth $2bn in total against Credit Suisse and the Privinvest Group.
- Acting for Alexander Tugushev in relation to his ownership of a one-third stake in an international fishing business, which he co-founded with two of the defendants in the 1990s, and which is now estimated to be worth $1.5bn, referred to in the proceedings as the Norebo Group.
- Acting for the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and the NHS Business Services Authority who allege serious misconduct by a large multinational pharmaceutical group (Servier) in respect of the sale and supply of a blood pressure lowering “blockbuster drug”, perindopril, to the NHS.
Signature Litigation LLP's 'dedicated and meticulous' fraud group is active in investigations and large-scale disputes, in which they act for claimants and defendants in various countries. Graham Huntley, who is described by one client as a 'veteran of large fraud cases', primarily acts for banks, fund managers and life insurers in civil fraud disputes. 'Extremely experienced practitioner' Julian Connerty is a specialist in international fraud and asset recovery actions. In a recent mandate, the team acted for one of the three lead groups of RBS shareholders who brought unprecedented claims under Section 90 of the FSMA against RBC over its failed 2008 rights issue, resulting in a favourable settlement.
‘I have, on several occasions, recommended the firm for very large pieces of litigation, and would do so again as I am confident that they would always deliver a peerless service.’
‘They provide brilliant client care coupled with very sound legal judgement.’
‘The amount of deep thought that goes into each piece of work is quite extraordinary – I don’t know quite where the ability comes from to do this time and time again.’
‘Graham Huntley is truly a force of nature – a very impressive litigator with a deeply commercial intelligence and a willingness to go more than the extra mile for his clients.’
‘A growing firm with the feel of a boutique and the agility that entails.’
‘The partners and associates are of an exceptionally high calibre, with first rate strategic oversight from the partners and real attention to detail from the associates.’
Georgian Co Investment Fund
Bluewaters Communications Holdings
Come Harvest Holdings Limited
Mega Wealth International Trading Limited
Ben Oldman Special Situations Fund L.P.
Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation Limited (ENRC)
- Acting for the Ivanishvili family and their corporate funds and investment vehicles in a high profile dispute with Credit Suisse Group (led by Credit Suisse AG, the bank) regarding losses arising out of the alleged fraudulent handling and misappropriation of assets held by the family’s corporate funds and investment vehicles.
- Representing Bluewaters Communications Holdings LLC in relation to two claims arising from a corrupt agreement between Mr Bernard Ecclestone and Dr Gerhard Gribkowsky in connection with the sale in 2005 by BLB of its stake in Speed.
- Acting on behalf of CHH and MWI in relation to a dispute with ED&F Man Capital Markets Limited arising out of contracts for the sale and purchase of nickel in circumstances where warehouse receipts evidencing title to the nickel appear to have been created fraudulently.
Stewarts Law LLP's team focuses predominantly on multijurisdictional civil fraud cases, with an emphasis on disputes concerning financial products and financial institutions. Mo Bhaskaran advises corporates and governments on major fraud investigations and asset recoveries. David Hughes acts for governments, sovereign funds and institutional clients in a wide range of cases, including financial product litigation. Clive Zietman has over 30 years of experience of commercial litigation and a notable track record in major corporate scandals, including the Guinness and Maxwell trials. The firm is currently representing 9 of the 100 defendants in a £1.6bn fraud claim brought by the Danish tax authority relating to withholding tax reclaims made by various entities and paid out by the claimant between 2012 and 2015. Partner Ryan Dunleavy joined the firm from DMG Media Group in January 2019.
‘Stewarts Law have been a key law firm for us for many years. Their market placement and focus on litigation make them extremely attractive for anyone who wants to do focused banking/civil fraud/commercial disputes.’
‘In spite of not having the numbers of the largest City firms, Stewarts punch far above their weight in terms of quality of services and the talent they attract.’
‘Stewarts have the ability to attract a variety of interesting work and to staff matters appropriately.’
‘Partners provide excellent strategic insight. They are also excellent organisationally, and genuinely nice people who are great to work with.’
‘I’ve been particularly impressed by the understanding of the subject matter displayed by both partners and senior associates at the firm, not to mention their hard work and drive, and their client management skills.’
Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority (“RAKIA”)
Kaupthing Bank hf –v- Deutsche Bank
Grant Thornton BVI – as liquidators of Stanford International Bank Ltd
Laurence Pagden and Simon Underwood of Menzies LLP as liquidators of Core VCT plc, Core IV plc and Core C plc (the “Core VCTs Liquidators”).
- Representing Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority in a sprawling multijurisdictional case involving wide-ranging acts of fraud and embezzlement by the former CEO of RAKIA and complex issues of cyber fraud.
- Representing investors in claims of fraudulent misrepresentation against Ingenious Media and HSBC, and claims of professional negligence against a number of advisors including UBS and Coutts.
- Representing Kaupthing Bank in connection with a $500m claim against Deutsche Bank arising from the sale of complex banking derivatives at the start of the credit crunch, involving an SFO investigation and criminal prosecutions in Iceland.
Travers Smith LLP's team acts for clients in the commercial and financial sectors in civil fraud cases, asset tracing and recovery claims. Also of note is the firm's anti-bribery and corruption group, which provides corporates with advice on the Bribery Act and related legislation. Rob Fell is known for handling complex commercial cases, sensitive internal and regulatory investigations, which often involve allegations of fraud. Toby Robinson's standout work included advising Hewlett Packard Enterprise on its high-profile fraud claim against Autonomy Corporation's former CEO and CFO, seeking approximately $5bn in damages. Caroline Edwards and Huw Jenkin are also recommended.
‘Travers’ civil fraud practice is at the top of its game. It recently represented Hewlett-Packard in one of the largest fraud claims – and longest and civil trials – ever to have come before the English courts. The partners in charge navigated their clients through this huge, complex matter with clarity and assurance, supported by a superb team of in-house litigators.’
‘Exceptional levels of partner commitment.’
‘Very deep bench of associate talent with impressive gender diversity.’
‘They are a polished litigation machine. From my experience, they have a consistently good and enthusiastic team, and they are always able to access the necessary resources to deal with the busy stages in a case.’
‘The team are a group of high quality general commercial litigators who are experienced across a range of contentious disciplines and are real experts in the art of litigation, whether that is commercial litigation, banking litigation or competition litigation.’
‘Toby Robinson deserves recognition for his work on the HP case.’
‘Caroline Edwards is a fraud expert and has worked on some impressive matters over the years.’
‘Very good in-depth team. Very responsive and hard working.’
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Kaupthing hf and Jóhannes Jóhannsson
Pathfinder Minerals plc
Scion Films (acting through Scion Financial Partners Limited)
- Acted for Hewlett Packard in fraud claims amounting to $5bn, with parallel criminal proceedings in the US, arising from the $11bn acquisition of Autonomy Corporation plc in late 2011.
- Acting for defendants Johannes Johannsson and Theodor Sigurbergsson in proceedings brought by Kevin Stanford over allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Advising Scion on its defence of various claims brought against entities in the Scion group in relation to arrangements relating to film rights promoted or operated by Scion.
Addleshaw Goddard's team primarily represents large corporates and high-net-worth individuals in litigation in the UK and offshore jurisdictions, specialising in payments fraud, financial crime and asset tracing. Michael Barnett has a strong track record in financial markets litigation involving fraud. Mark Molyneux has notable experience acting for clients in complex litigation, investigations and arbitration proceedings, focusing predominantly on the retail industry. Louisa Caswell is well-versed in international contract and fraud disputes. Associates Alex Hogarth and Natasha Winter are also key members of the team.
‘Addleshaw Goddard’s litigation team have excellent civil fraud capabilities.’
‘Addleshaw Goddard’s civil fraud team are excellent. They are always on top of the detail but equally good at stepping back and advising on the big picture. Clients are in very safe hands and it is a pleasure to work with them.’
‘Mark Molyneux is extremely impressive.’
‘Incredibly talented team. Hugely experienced in civil fraud, in particular injunctive relief and business protection.’
‘Excellent legal ability; very good at managing clients and dealing with opponents; responsible and receptive.’
‘They have been committed to engaging with us to understand our priorities – very commercially aware.’
‘Alex Hogarth is very technically able, a great communicator; transparent and excellent to work with.’
‘Michael Barnett – extremely experienced, especially in financial markets disputes and fraud. ‘
Bestway Retail Limited (part of the Bestway Wholesale group)
Elaine Millar, Viscount of the Royal Court of Jersey
Pendragon (Master) Fund Limited
Wolseley UK Limited
- Advising multiple UK banks in connection with high-value Authorised Push Payment frauds.
- Acting for Bestway Retail Limited on all elements of a fraud and breach of contract dispute with a franchisee, H&M Companies Ltd, which it acquired through its purchase of the business of Bargain Booze Limited (BBL) in administration.
- Acting for claimant Pendragon in Commercial Court proceedings regarding fraudulent and/or negligent misrepresentation arising from the defendant’s purchase of shares and share options in Volkswagen in 2008.
Bivonas Law LLP acts for international banks, high-net-worth individuals and various other clients in fraud disputes involving civil contempt of court, internal corporate investigations and breach of fiduciary duty, among other areas. John Bechelet has over 37 years of experience in civil fraud and regulatory litigation, which includes major cases in the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. Antony Brown has an established track record in multijurisdictional fraud cases in regions such as Eastern Europe and Asia. Sergey Litovchenko, who is praised by one client for his 'fantastic client skills', is also a key member of the team.
‘Bivonas has an exceptional team of lawyers who over the years have been involved in some of the highest profile civil fraud trials.’
‘Bivonas’s experience, depth of knowledge and determination to get the best results makes the firm stand out above competitors in the market.’
‘Antony Brown leads the firm and is extremely knowledgeable in cases with an international element. He is tactically astute, and tenaciously drives cases to get the best outcome for his clients.’
‘John Bechelet is a brilliant lawyer who always gives clear, practical advice to his clients.’
‘Sergey Litovchenko has considerable experience in complex cross-border disputes relating to Russia and the CIS.’
‘Very strong civil fraud and financial crime team with a wealth of expertise.’
‘Antony Brown is commercially brilliant and knows what he is doing. ‘
- Acting for one of the owners of a Liberian-based trading company with its centre of operations in Athens, in a case involving alleged fraud in the sum of $200m and featuring claims by the company’s suppliers and a group of European banks.
- Acting for former directors of a Plc in relation to proceedings concerning an alleged issue of a substantial shareholding to a Brazilian company for an improper purpose and in breach of their duties under the Companies Act.
- Acting for a Russian banker in civil contempt proceedings in the Commercial Court in a dispute arising from a takeover of a Russian bank.
Farrer & Co's 'creative and personal' team has notable expertise in fraud in the financial services sector, international fraud claims and contentious trust disputes. Adrian Parkhouse represents clients in commercial disputes across various sectors, including financial services, investment and art. John Wilkinson is also well-versed in commercial disputes involving fraud. Jeremy Gordon and Toby Graham are both experts in fraud cases with trust elements. Associate Oliver Blundell is also recommended.
‘Farrer & Co’s civil fraud practice is an impressive one. They are second to none in a number of fields – sports law, art law, private wealth, and financial services, all of which naturally overlap with and give rise to issues of civil fraud.’
‘What is unique about the practice is the focus on individuals: they have a long history of private client work, and their client list is a who’s who of high-net-worth individuals based both in London and overseas.’
‘Adrian Parkhouse is an all-rounder; who just happens to be a superstar in certain sectors over-and-above his impressive general fraud practice.’
‘Oliver Blundell is charming, adept at handling client’s needs and on the ball with procedural matters.’
‘Farrers has a strong and growing civil fraud practice. They can offer a wide range of talent at all levels of seniority. They are a joy to work with and can be relied upon to deliver a great service.’
‘Many years of experience; well led with in-depth resources.’
‘Always ready to listen and develop client ideas and strategies, displaying creative thinking in a complex sector of law.’
‘John Wilkinson is outstanding.’
Red Kite Management Limited
RP Explorer Master Fund
Sir Owen Glenn and Kea Investments Limited
Holy Sisters Trustees Incorporated
ICTS (UK) Limited
Dr Mohamed Haddad
- Acting for a high-profile Middle East based businessman, who is involved in a £1bn+ fraud dispute with a number of other individuals who are connected to UAE royal families.
- Acting for Cayman investment fund PR Explorer Master Fund in the Commercial Court in its $80m claim for fraud against multiple defendants, arising from the client’s investments in the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Acted for Sir Owen Glenn KNZM ONZM and Kea in a hard-fought and successful circa £200m fraud claim against Eric Watson, Novatrust Limited and others relating to agreements entered into and transactions pursued in connection with a joint venture known as Project Spartan.
Gowling WLG specialises in state-related anti-fraud matters and international fraud cases, including disputes originating in Brazil, Africa, Europe and offshore jurisdictions. Alex Jay has a strong track record in civil fraud cases, with particular strength in asset tracing and freezing injunctions. James Sidwell focuses on domestic and international fraud and asset tracing, acting primarily for financial services companies and high-net-worth individuals.
‘A top-rate team with a multinational practice. They have the ability to deploy the appropriate number of staff to get the job done as fast as possible without compromising the need to investigate properly and build the case in the right way.’
‘Alex Jay is a key player in international fraud. Completely unflappable, marshals his team and liaises very well with counsel and the expert investigators.’
‘Andrew Witts – a wealth of experience on high level multi-jurisdictional fraud and asset tracing matters. Significant experience dealing with government and civic authorities. Extremely good at seeing the wider picture and leading a wider strategy across multiple jurisdictions.’
Kevin Hellard and Matthew Richardson as liquidators of Durant and Kildare
First Peninsula Trustees Limited and Port of Hercules Trustees Limited
Grant Thornton LLP (Marcus Wide and Hugh Dickson, liquidators of Stanford Bank)
Alokozay FZE Abdul Rahman Alokozay & Alokozay FZE
CPC Group Limited, Chris Candy, Nick Candy and others
Neil Gostelow and David Standish as Trustees in Bankruptcy
Nedim Ailyan and others as liquidators of Reco Environmental Partners LLP (in liquidation) (Co 1) and Eco-Synergies Nominees Ltd (in liquidation) (Co 2)
Mark Wilson and Alexander Kinninmonth of RSM Restructuring and Advisory LLP as joint liquidators of the Refined London Group
David Ingram Grant Thornton LLP as liquidator of Capital Alternatives Sales and Marketing Limited and Green Planet Investment Limited (Gibraltar)
- Acting for the liquidators of three BVI companies connected to litigation involving the former Mayor of Sao Paulo, Mr Maluf.
- Acting for the defendants in a £132m fraud claim brought by Mark Holyoake and his company, Hotblack, relating to a residential property development in London.
- Advising Grant Thornton, as liquidators of Stanford Bank, on all matters concerning the Bank’s UK assets, including seeking the release of a restraint ordered obtained in 2009 by the SFO on behalf of the DOJ.
King & Spalding LLP's 'thorough and diligent' practice utilises its roster of advocates to represent clients, including large corporates, in complex international fraud disputes. Thomas Sprange QC regularly acts as counsel in proceedings before the High Court. In an ongoing case, he is representing Motorolla in a $3bn fraud case against the Uzan family, which currently involves securing the recovery of assets across the world. Sarah Walker has over 25 years of experience in commercial litigation, encompassing major cross-border fraud disputes.
‘The combination of barristerial incisiveness with case management competencies of top-notch solicitors, under one roof, makes King & Spalding extraordinary in the London scene and a go to firm for us.’
‘Tom Sprange QC – a unique coming-together of legal insight, commercial nous and practical application.’
‘Ruth Byrne has the ability to marshal enormous doses of information, retain key facts, be diligent and patient, and follow through as if it were her personal matter – her analysis is always based on facts, the law and the cultural sensibilities of the jurisdictions involved.’
Motorola Credit Corporation and Motorola Solutions
Libyan Investment Authority
Antracite Investment Limited, Urgula Platinum Limited and Menrela Limited
Global Jet Capital
Ascom Grup S.A., Anatolie Stati, Gabriel Stati and Terra Raf Trans Traiding Ltd
WesternZagros Resources Ltd
Bank & Clients
- Acting for Motorola Credit Corporation in its pursuit of $3bn in damages against the Uzan family, involving court proceedings in the UK and various other jurisdictions.
- Acting on behalf of one of the claimants to the “crown” of the Libyan Investment Authority, a $67bn fund in one of the most high profile cases in the Commercial Court in 2019/2020.
- Acting for one of the defendants to high profile claims including allegations of fraud, conspiracy and dishonest assistance, where injunctive relief has been sought and obtained in the English Courts and defendants have appealed as far as the European Courts.
Kingsley Napley LLP specialises in litigation and investigations involving civil fraud and white-collar crime, including cross-border cases. Richard Foss, who leads the dispute resolution practice, has particular expertise in financial services and banking disputes, often involving civil fraud. Sue Thackeray specialises in civil fraud, including complex cross-border cases involving parallel criminal or regulatory proceedings. William Christopher focuses on commercial litigation, including civil fraud claims.
‘One of the leading providers of civil fraud services with the relevant specialist knowledge and skillset to ensure that the client is given high quality advice and representation.
‘William Christopher has extensive and wide-ranging experience in civil fraud and asset recovery work. He is user-friendly and aggressive without ever overstepping the mark.’
‘Kingsley Napley has a unique cross-over between civil fraud and criminal law, which gives them a brilliant offering.’
‘Kingsley Napley is one of the leading firms in the London market for large civil fraud disputes, with particular strength in asset tracing and multi-jurisdictional work.’
‘The team has an exceptional grasp of this area, being able to draw upon its extensive experience in fraud, in both the civil and criminal spheres. As a result, it is instructed on high value cases of considerable complexity, very often with an international context, and frequently involving individuals with a high profile.’
‘Sue Thackeray is a standout lawyer. She is incredibly clever and hard working. Her ability to develop complex arguments is impressive, and in addition, Sue is thoroughly personable and a delight to work with. I would rank her as one of the very best lawyers in this area.’
‘William Christopher, Sue Thackeray and Richard Foss are all very good. William Christopher is a recognised expert in this area.’
‘Mary Young is outstanding: forensic, incredibly hard-working and enormously personable. A real star!’
Paul Allen as Trustee in bankruptcy for Jason Cheung
Stephen Doran as voluntary liquidator of Trafalgar Multi Asset Trading Company Limited (a company incorporated in the Cayman Islands)
- Successfully represented claimant FindMyClaims in a case against a former director and shareholder of the company involving allegations of fraudulent activity.
- Represented the trustee in the bankruptcy of Jason Cheung, involving substantial investigations and resulting in payment to our client from an Employee Benefit Trust in which he had an interest.
- Acting for the voluntary liquidator of Trafalgar Multi Asset Trading Company to recover substantial funds invested in a Cayman fund predominately by English pensioners promised very high returns on their investments.
Osborne Clarke LLP's team have a strong track record in Russian/CIS fraud cases, and fraud involving allegations of bribery and corruption. Tom Ellis represents clients in commercial disputes and corporate investigations involving fraud. Adrian Lifely stands out for his work in international fraud cases over the course of over 25 years. Andrew Bartlett is recommended for his expertise in asset tracing and jurisdiction disputes.
‘Tom Ellis is a very smooth operator with excellent client skills.’
‘Excellent technical skills and good people to work with.’
‘Andrew Bartlett is a top calibre solicitor with a sharp understanding of the cases he is handling and extensive expertise in managing cross-border mandates.’
AITAS Group (Kazakhstan)
BB Energy (Gulf) DMCC
Northampton Borough Council
PricewaterhouseCoopers Channel Islands
Promsvyaz Capital B.V. and others
- Acting for BB Energy (Gulf) DMCC in a claim arising from losses suffered by the client under an oil-trading contract entered into with a Moroccan oil refinery, which was placed into liquidation in Morocco in March 2016.
- Advising UKPF, a food company based in Kazakhstan, in relation to a fraud committed by its employee, who allegedly transferred funds illegally through banks in Latvia and Panamanian companies.
- Acting for three corporate defendants in bondholder litigation brought by PSB Bank, who are alleging that the defendants conspired to defraud them in respect of the bond issue.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP's team, praised for its 'excellent client management skills' , represents companies, banks and other claimants and defendants in a wide range of domestic and cross-border fraud disputes, asset tracing matters and worldwide freezing orders. 'Outstanding' partner Ben Summerfield specialises in fraud litigation in the UK and overseas.
‘I regard the Reed Smith civil fraud team as top class. They combine years of experience at partnership level with talented and industrious associates.’
‘There is quite a choice of excellent lawyers in this field but Reed Smith would be in my top three every time given their accessibility and quick turnaround.’
RPC's large fraud team often handles cross-border investigations and disputes. 'Brilliant strategist' Andy McGregor specialises in complex multi-jurisdictional fraud, focusing predominantly on cases in Russia and the CIS. Tom Hibbert has particular expertise in fraud disputes involving financial institutions, whereas Jonathan Cary is a go-to partner for financial markets investigations. Tatiana Minaeva, who joined the firm in 2019 from Jones Day, specialises in cross-border litigation and investigations, particularly those in Eastern Europe. In a standout mandate, Cary and Hibbert are representing The Federal Republic of Nigeria in claims against JP Morgan, Royal Rutch Shell and ENI SpA, arising from the oil majors' fraudulent and corrupt acquisition of an oil prospecting licence for $1.3bn. Dan Wyatt is also recommended.
‘RPC hosts a dynamic and high-quality legal team. Excellent at getting to the point and producing material that is focused and well argued. Excellent at litigation strategy and establishing the right course to be pursued.’
‘Andy McGregor is a brilliant lawyer who works swiftly to deliver results. Able to analyse and solve complex problems swiftly. Good team leader.’
‘Always approachable, clear thinking, quick to analyse merits and strategies.’
‘RPC’s team is very dedicated to what they do. They are very experienced in Russia/CIS disputes and always dig deep into the core of the dispute’s factual and legal background. This should be especially appreciated in circumstances when disputes require understanding of Russian law and traditions and patterns of business relationships in Russia.’
‘Andy McGregor works very carefully with the facts, but he also has a helicopter view of the dispute as a whole and effectively manages his team.’
‘Andy McGregor is ready to tackle complex multi-jurisdiction issues, good at communication and understanding the needs of the client – he always bears in mind the strategy of the project and leads the team well.’
‘I appreciate that the lawyers we work with at RPC are largely more experienced in their field and loyal to RPC then any of the rivals are to their own firms.’
The Federal Republic of Nigeria (the FRN)
Bank St Petersburg
Filatona Trading Limited
- Representing Mr Oleg Deripaska and Filatona Trading Limited in a large-scale, complex, and very hard-fought fraud claim relating to the fallout from a joint venture.
- Representing the Federal Republic of Nigeria in claims against JP Morgan, Royal Dutch Shell and ENI SpA arising from the oil majors’ fraudulent and corrupt acquisition of an oil- prospecting licence for the sum of $1.3bn.
- Representing Bank St Petersburg (BSP) in a claim against oligarch Mr Arkhangelsky and his wife regarding the enforcement of a series of personal guarantees given by Mr Arkhangelsky in support of loans made by BSP to companies that were owned/controlled by him.
Slaughter and May
Slaughter and May's 'efficient and responsive' team acts for global corporates, financial institutions and governments in complex disputes involving fraud allegations, utilising its global investigations group to assist clients. Richard Swallow often manages global regulatory and criminal investigations with parallel proceedings in the UK and the US. Jonathan Cotton has notable expertise in fraud disputes and investigations involving allegations of wrongdoing. Associate Kathryn Hernandez is also recommended.
‘Excellent knowledge and competence from partners to associates.’
‘Excellent strategic thinking.’
Mercuria Energy Trading Europe Limited
Bupa Insurance Services Limited
- Acting for Banque Pictet, a Swiss bank, which is among a number of defendants to a very large Commercial Court claim by a foreign public authority alleging bribery and dishonest assistance.
- Advising Mercuria Energy Trading Europe Limited on the defence of complex High Court litigation relating to an alleged “missing trader” intra-Community VAT fraud.
- Advising Bupa Insurance Services Limited on its response to a significant data breach: coordinating advice, regulator engagement across 60 jurisdictions, and an audit of data privacy and security systems and controls.
Taylor Wessing LLP's practice specialises in cross-border corruption investigations, bribery investigations and investigations in the financial services and FX industries. In addition, the team has notable strength in fraud disputes involving the big four and mid-tier accountancy firms. David De Ferrars' caseload includes fraud, asset tracing, corruption and white-collar crime disputes. Tim Strong focuses predominantly on fraud in the financial services and energy sectors. Associate Emma Allen is also recommended.
‘The partners are very knowledgeable, approachable and demonstrate great collaboration across different disciplines of the law that enables them to provide a coordinated service. Advice is well-considered, structured and practical.’
‘David De Ferrars is an excellent communicator, with vast experience and knowledge on what can be achieved to recover assets and in matters of litigation. Advice is well thought out, structured and focused on how to achieve the outcome.’
Liquidators of Saad Investment Company
- Representing the joint official liquidators of the Saad Investment Company Limited, a Cayman Islands company which was owned by a HNW Saudi national, Maan Al-Sanea, accused in 2009 of perpetrating a $9bn fraud responsible for the collapse of his business empire and a financial crisis in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for BVI fund in litigation proceedings involving allegations of insolvency act violations, along with fraud and unlawful means conspiracy.
- Representing three entities in a large Russian-owned investment group (Rusnano Group) in claims against a former employee alleging fraudulent misrepresentation and breaches of employment agreements.
Akin Gump LLP's practice focuses predominantly on cross-border disputes and energy disputes involving fraud, with a particular emphasis on litigation involving Russian and CIS clients. 'Very experienced and level headed' litigator Kambiz Larizadeh specialises in international commercial disputes. In an ongoing matter, Kambiz is representing Tatneft in long-running proceedings brought by the client against 4 Ukrainian businessmen, with a total value of $380m. Justin Williams has strong expertise in major disputes involving Russian companies in the energy sector. Richard Hornshaw is also a key member of the team.
‘Akin Gump has considerable strength in depth, with a large team of partners and associates with significant experience in this area. They are hardworking and fight the client’s corner, whilst being pragmatic and exercising sound judgement, a key asset in the rough and tumble of fraud litigation.’
‘Capable of deploying large teams, experienced at all levels. Excellent to work with.’
‘Richard Hornshaw is astute, able to rally and organise a team effectively whilst still being on top of the detail.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh is extremely bright and hands-on, always considering the case from all angles and with an eye on strategy at every turn.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh is a smart litigator who knows how to handle high profile clients and litigation.’
Joint Administrators of Afren
- Acting for Tatneft, Russia’s fifth biggest oil company, in $380m English litigation proceedings against four Ukrainian oligarchs.
- Represented Robert Foresman (vice chairman at UBS) as one of the co-defendants in Commercial Court litigation brought by Yukos Finance and others against five individuals who were alleged to have behaved unlawfully in the conduct of an auction for the sale of Yukos assets in 2007.
- Acting for the joint administrators of African Minerals Limited, involving detailed analysis of allegations of fraud made against one of the directors of the company.
Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP acts for clients in various sectors, including financial services, IT and energy, in fraud claims, showing particular expertise in injunctive relief applications. 'Brilliant partner' Philip Young has a strong track record in complex fraud in the financial services sector. 'Real fighter' Sinead O’Callaghan advises clients in cases spanning cyber-fraud, unlawful means conspiracy, fraudulent misappropriation and cross-border asset tracing. 'Measured and effective' Daniel Burbeary is well-versed in large-scale fraud and corruption matters.
‘CYK is a very strong litigation boutique that is generally conflict-free. I send referrals to them regularly with good results. They are known for being aggressive and effective particularly in financial services cases.’
‘Philip Young is one of the best litigators in the City. He is perfect for cases that require creative but dogged teams who enjoy the process of litigation.’
‘The team has experience of complex, cross-border disputes and arbitration-related enforcement work. It often goes toe-to-toe with the biggest firms and comes out on the winning side.’
‘Dan Burbeary deals with a mixture of litigation and arbitration and his flexibility in how he runs and manages a case is very attractive to clients.’
‘CYK does what it says on the tin – it takes on complex and sensitive commercial litigation and gets excellent results without fuss or waste.’
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP focuses primarily on banking fraud and cross-border corporate fraud, often involving clients in Russia and Eastern Europe. Ian Hargreaves' expertise includes international asset tracing, bribery, corruption and money laundering litigation. Craig Pollack has over 25 years of experience in commercial litigation and arbitration involving civil fraud. In an ongoing instruction, the team is defending Deutsche Telekom in a high-value claim brought by the administrators of Phones 4U, who allege that the defendants were party to an unlawful means conspiracy designed to bankrupt Phones4U.
Other key lawyers:
‘A broad range of experience but well-seasoned leadership at the top. I like how the younger members are driven by challenges set from above. There is a guiding hand on projects but competent team members ensure daily work is done efficiently and constructively.’
‘Led by Craig Pollack, this team works well across borders driven by Craig’s experience and temperament.’
‘Excellent firm. Craig Pollack and Ian Hargreaves are both formidable litigation lawyers with immense experience domestically and internationally.’
- Acting for Oleg Mkrtchan and his related corporate entities in a high profile Commercial Court case relating to alleged oral misrepresentations made by Mr Mkrtchan, and an alleged misappropriation of funds and assets.
- Acted for Vi Holding and Vitaliy Machitski in a bitterly fought case between substantial businessmen from Russia and CIS in relation to an alleged loss of $300m. Negotiated and achieved a highly-complex settlement involving 27 parties, 8 law firms and 5 jurisdictions.
- Acting for Magnus Roth, one of three defendants in a claim by Alexander Tugushev concerning a stake in the Norebo Group, which by some estimates is worth up to $1.5bn.
Dechert LLP represents a range of clients in international fraud litigation, involving bribery, corruption, money laundering and insolvency. Andrew Hearn handles commercial litigation, including fraud claims and insolvency proceedings. Dorothy Cory-Wright has notable expertise in disputes in the financial services sector and fraud disputes arising from restructuring and insolvency issues. Partner Simon Fawell joined the practice from Sidley Austin LLP in June 2019.
‘Andrew Hearn is such an insightful and inspiring partner, he commands respect in all settings.’
‘Andrew Hearn is a stand-out practitioner. One of the very best in the City.’
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
The Joint Liquidators of Webinvest Limited (in liquidation)
Axle and Centigon
Hasim Bora Özerman and Fusun Gonen
The Joint Trustees in Bankruptcy of Mikhail Shlosberg
- Advising Dame Elizabeth Gloster (former Court of Appeal judge) in her capacity as the independent investigator into the Financial Conduct Authority’s regulation and supervision of London Capital & Finance plc, which collapsed in January 2019 and is subject to allegations of fraud.
- Representation of the Joint Liquidators of Webinvest in two related multi-party actions in the Chancery Division concerning a series of complex fraudulent transactions in the run up to its liquidation.
- Successfully set aside a worldwide freezing order in a fraud claim against clients in the Commercial Court brought by the liquidators of the collapsed Turco Romana Bank.
Devonshires Solicitors LLP 'pragmatic and client focused' team handles cross-border fraud disputes and investigations. Philip Barden handles a wide range of commercial disputes for corporations, including banking, fraud, insurance, IT, PFI and shipping matters. James Dunn acts for claimants and defendants in civil fraud cases, including asset recovery. Anna Bach primarily advises clients involved in complex fraud emerging from Eastern Europe and Russia.
Other key lawyers:
‘A go-to team for complex crime and fraud especially with an international element.’
‘Very hard working with a key strategic eye to all cases and excellent teamwork.’
‘Philip Barden is an aggressive and highly effective litigator.’
‘I have never met a lawyer who works so tremendously hard as Anna Bach does.’
Solicitors Regulation Authority
Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management
- Acted as SRA Intervention Agents closing solicitors firms involved in suspected dishonesty, including the Jirehouse Law Practices.
- Acted for a high-net worth individual in relation to a £100m civil fraud claim relating to Western Ukraine’s largest shopping centre.
- Assisted a liquidator successfully pursue a former director of a company for a claim for fraudulent trading under the Insolvency Act 1986.
Edwin Coe LLP's team specialises in securities and consumer fraud claims, as well as insolvency and bankruptcy cases involving fraud. Ali Zaidi has particular expertise in asset tracing, corporate fraud and pursuing directors for fraud and deceit. David Greene specialises in competition disputes and class actions, including price-fixing claims. Zahira Hussain is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Edwin Coe is very litigation focused. Indeed, they are consummate litigators. As a result, they are one of the best firms, in my experience, at balancing cost effectiveness with successful litigation.’
‘David Greene and Ali Zaidi are the people I most often engage with and they are both excellent lawyers.’
‘David Greene’s experience and judgment is virtually unparalleled in the market.’
Trucks Cartel claimants
BM Advisory LLP
Crown Currency Action Group
Soteris Pittas & Co L.L.C
St Frances Action Group
150 Claimants in the Giambrone action
Resort Properties claimants
Eclipse tax scheme members
- Advising claimants on a group action to make a claim for damages and interest against truck manufacturers following the uncovering by the EU of a price-fixing cartel.
- Representing a group of around 200 claimants in legal proceedings arising from the fraudulent selling of timeshare products by Resort Properties (Barclays Partner Finance).
- Acting for a group of claimants in relation to the Eclipse Film Finance Schemes, where the investors were misled as to the true nature of the scheme and now face tax demands far in excess of any taxable benefit they received from their participation.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP represents claimants and defendants in fraud disputes, with a particular focus on the financial services industry. Neville Byford often handles multijurisdictional disputes. Neville Gray specialises in banking litigation, including cases involving fraud. Richard Little focuses on commercial litigation. In an ongoing mandate, Byford is representing defendant Kamran Amouzegar in connection with a claim brought by the pension fund of the State of Kuwait (PIFSS) alleging that Mr Al Rajaan distributed funds belonging to PIFSS to various financial institutions in return for bribes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jennifer Miles (partner): She’s a tremendously impressive all-round litigator, and runs a big team on a complex case with seeming ease and total assured confidence. She’s a perfect choice to head up massive cases.
Neville Gray (partner): He’s extremely clever, with superb attention to detail, excellent tactical awareness and an uncanny understanding of the other side’s weaknesses. He’s a great team-leader.
David Flack (partner): he brings an extraordinary energy and enthusiasm to any team, and has a mastery of both the detail and the big-picture issues. He’s very clever, and is an extremely good and knowledgeable lawyer. Top class.
Amanda Rowley (senior associate): she’s marvellous! Her capacity for hard work is truly remarkable, her ability to get on top of the smallest details in a substantial case in a short period of time are nothing short of miraculous, her drafting skills are first-rate, and she’s what every big case needs. No praise is too much for her.’
‘Superb team even by the standards of large London commercial litigators.
Neville Byford is probably the best civil fraud litigator in London. Exceptional strategic and tactical insights; brilliant lawyer and fantastically hard-working.’
‘The team handles a wide range of commercial and fraud matters. It is consistently strong across the junior ranks, so pretty much any team put together will be of high quality.
Neville Byford heads up the team. He is very experienced and has a very robust approach to representing his clients. A good man to have in your corner if you are in a really full-on battle.’
Malaysia’s Minister of Finance (Incorporated)
Iranian Offshore Engineering Companies
Credit Suisse Trust
- Acting for the fifth defendant in a claim brought by the PIFSS (the pension fund of the State of Kuwait) alleging that Mr Al Rajaan placed funds belonging to PIFSS with various financial institutions in return for receiving bribes from those financial institutions.
- Acting for Malaysia’s Minister of Finance and 1Malaysia Development Berhard as claimants in a case against International Petroleum Investment Company and Aabar Investments PJS, relating to the well-publicised ‘1MDB Scandal’ whereby billions of dollars were misappropriated from Malaysian citizens.
- Acting for the Iranian Offshore Engineering Company as claimant in Commercial Court proceedings arising from a contract for the purchase of an oil rig, for which IOEC paid $87m and did not receive the oil rig as per the contract.
Fladgate LLP's team acts for claimants and defendants in international fraud disputes, with a particular focus on Switzlerland, Jersey and CIS countries. Alongside its traditional caseload, the team has seen an increase in fraud disputes involving works of art and contentious trusts. Sophia Purkis has notable expertise in complex multi-party fraud cases. Eugene Matveichuk advises clients in the energy, real estate and financial sectors in fraud disputes and commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sophie Purkis is a partner specialising in fraud and related matters. She is highly experienced, tactically excellent and a joy to work with.’
‘Sophie Purkis is an excellent civil litigator with real expertise in civil fraud.’
‘The team is led by excellent partners who have just the right combination of sound legal skills, excellent commercial sense and judgement.’
Private Members Club
- Successfully represented a claimant in a multijurisdictional claim against former advisers alleging conspiracy to defraud.
- Acted for a well-known private members’ club in efforts to stop a “phishing” email fraud. Obtained Norwich Pharmacal orders against a number of UK banks which enabled the firm to identify the holders of the bank accounts.
- Acting for Andrew Herd, CEO of Victoria Gate Casino, in a dispute with Anthony Wollenberg, his former co-shareholder in Victoria Gate Casino. Mr Wollenberg sought to use documents disclosed in the civil claim to initiate the prosecution which allowed the firm to run and successfully argue the prosecution was an abuse of process.
Keystone Law's team represents clients in commercial fraud and financial crime disputes, spanning bribery, corruption, money laundering, disciplinary and regulatory issues, among other areas. 'Formidable opponent' Robert Lawrie has notable expertise in complex fraud, claims against directors and shareholders disputes. Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs focuses on cross-border fraud in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Solicitor Bledi Albri, who recently joined the firm from Cubism, has particular expertise in arbitration proceedings and multijurisdictional cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘Robert Lawrie has almost unrivalled experience for someone of his seniority, and has been involved in numerous high-profile and ground-breaking cases. He is one of the best lawyers I have worked with and his litigation management skills, in particular, are top-notch.’
‘Robert Lawrie is a formidable opponent in civil fraud. His negotiation skills are excellent and he has very good judgement.’
‘An excellent firm which, through its unique business model, is able to offer clients the services of talented solicitors at competitive rates.’
Indigo Global Partners Limited
Nest Investments (Holdings) Ltd
- Defending Indigo Global Partners as one of 107 defendants in a large-scale, multijurisdictional fraud claim brought by the Danish tax authority, SKAT, regarding withheld tax reclaims.
- Acting for a UK company which had been defrauded of £750k by its Chief Financial Officer, who had falsified invoices and doctored payment details over the course of several months.
- Advising a group of shareholders in Lebanese Canadian Bank (“LCB”), a Lebanese bank that was shut down by the US authorities after finding it was used to launder the proceeds of international drug smuggling and terrorism.
Lipman Karas LLP
Lipman Karas LLP specialises in large-scale investigations and international litigation, with a particular focus on fraud in the Middle East. 'Astute and sophisticated lawyer' Andrew Ford has notable experience investigating, pursuing and defending allegations of fraud. Associate Caroline Phipps is well-versed in investigations and trials spanning multiple jurisdictions, including offshore countries.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very close-knit group that can work seamlessly across the full team involved in a major fraud – in-house counsel, client, experts and bar team if the matter goes to litigation.’
‘Andrew Ford and Caroline Phipps are very expert in this area, especially in cross-border matters with civil law and common law issues.’
‘Andrew Ford is a very experienced and user-friendly partner who is always fully committed to his clients whilst giving clear and objective advice.’
Francesco Mombelli & Others
Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Company (“AHABâ€)
Tsareva & Others
- Advising Francesco Mobelli and his companies in relation to defending claims brought by a Kuwait government department against its former Director General who is accused of receiving secret commissions.
- Instructed by Ahman Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Comapny in connection with its 6 week appeal before the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal, relating to claims made against it in the context of the nascent insolvency law in Saudi Arabia and the proposed FRP.
- Advising 34 individual Russian investors on their claims against two Russian oligarchs and their corporate vehicles.
Morrison & Foerster LLP's team handles cross-border investigations and disputes, asset tracing and domestic fraud investigations and enforcement actions. 'Exceptional' partner Jonathan Wheeler has a wealth of experience in commercial litigation, international fraud, asset tracing and investigations. Associate Saqib Alam specialises in regulatory compliance, investigations, litigation and international arbitration, involving bribery, money laundering and various other areas of fraud. Partner Chiraag Shah joined the practice from Kirkland & Ellis International LLP in September 2019.
‘They have some real star players.’
‘Jonathan Wheeler is exceptional. One of the best lawyers in the business.’
‘MoFo punches far above its weight.’
Liquidators of Saad Investments Company Limited
Grant Thornton LLP: Bankruptcy of Muhamad Al-Ansari
- Representing Saad Investments Company Limited and the liquidators in proceedings in the English High Court against Samba Financial Group, a Saudi Arabian bank, seeking approximately $400m in damages.
- Acting for the trustees in bankruptcy of Muhamad Al-Ansari in a large fraud/insolvency matter. He was convicted on charges of money laundering, and his assets were restrained by a Crown Court order shortly before his bankruptcy.
SCA ONTIER LLP focuses primarily on corporate fraud and boasts particular expertise in cyber crime and cryptocurrency matters. Seamus Andrew is experienced in civil fraud litigation in the UK and the Cayman Islands. Paul Ferguson is an experienced commercial litigator. Oliver Cain has notable expertise in international fraud disputes. Senior associate Simon Cohen joined the practice in 2019 from Shearman & Sterling LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘This is a firm that punches above its weight in this area – the team has a commercial approach and an instinct for the right answer, with strong partners and a track record of developing excellent junior lawyers. For the right case – a hard-fought medium size fraud or commercial dispute – they are hard to beat.’
‘Paul Ferguson is the lead partner in the department and has great instincts, as well as very good client skills. He has a very commercial approach and knows when to step in and when to let his associates run the case.’
‘I have had excellent experiences with Seamus Andrew and Paul Ferguson. Seamus is a senior and very experienced fraud litigator. He has excellent judgment and strategic skills. Paul is very bright, personable and diligent.’
Irving H. Picard, Trustee of the SIPA Estate of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC
Craig Wright (Satoshi Nakamoto)
Grupo Carso (Carlos Slim Group)
Advanced Control Systems (division of Indra Sistemas)
Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A.
Shanghai Shipyard Co Ltd
Calvin Ayre (founder of online gambling company, Bodog)
Grupo Mexico S.A.B. de C.V. (largest mining company in Mexico and third largest copper producer in the world)
Brunswick Rail Ltd
BDO (Cayman Islands)
- Acting for Craig Wright, pseudonymously known as Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator or Bitcoin in a number of claims relating, inter alia, to his claim to be the creator of Bitcoin (in relation to which he has been accused of fraud).
- Acting for Grupo Mexico, one of the world’s largest mining companies, in proceedings valued in excess of $1.5bn, where the Defendants were accused of fraudulent activities.
- Acting for Ramona Ang in proceedings against Reliantco Investments Ltd, with the significant recent successful opposition to the defendant’s jurisdiction challenge.
Squire Patton Boggs's fraud practice has particular expertise in obtaining freezing injunctions, search and seizure orders, Banker's Trust orders, delivery up orders and tracing claims. Gareth Timms specialises in asset tracing and fraud, with a particular focus on advising financial institutions in the UK on potential violations of US economic sanctions. Chris Webber and Kate Wakeham are also recommended. Stephen Sampson is the head of the team.
‘Christopher Webber of Squire Patton Boggs is a masterful technical lawyer and delivers consistently exceptional service for his clients.’
‘Very organised and supportive.
Christopher Webber: pleasant, organised, supportive and intelligent. Katherine Wakeham: ditto and determined.’
Close Brothers Invoice Finance
ABN Amro Commercial Finance
Rembrandt Enterprises Inc
- Acted for Rembrandt, a leading US producer of egg products, in defence of a €29m claim before the Commercial Court and subsequently in the Court of Appeal, over the supply of egg products into the US. The Court of Appeal revisited the “transferred loss” doctrine and the correct test for inducement in cases of fraudulent misrepresentation. Three appeal court judges decided unanimously in Rembrandt’s favour on both issues in March 2019.
- Acted for Monex in a dispute brought by a former shareholder who alleged that his shares were stolen by a director of the business prior to its sale to our client.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP's 'helpful and efficient' team acts for corporates, financial institutions and individuals in domestic and international fraud disputes and investigations, with a particular focus on defence work. 'Remarkable litigator' Peter Burrell assists clients with civil, criminal and regulatory proceedings, including fraud disputes. Simon Osborn-King specialises in fraud, conspiracy and misconduct litigation, often involving applications for urgent interim relief.
Other key lawyers:
‘Led by an outstandingly strong partner, Peter Burrell. Very hands on in their approach.’
‘Peter Burrell is very open and personable, while robust and direct when needed. He strikes an excellent balance between commerciality and technical legal advice.’
‘They are an outstanding alternative to the magic circle firms in London. US headquartered, they have built a very serious London team in this area in a short space of time through lateral hires and promotions.’
- Acting for claimants (an individual and three Hong Kong incorporated companies) in ongoing conspiracy proceedings in the English Commercial Court and in connection with proceedings in Hong Kong, Belize, BVI and Thailand.
- Defending a FTSE asset manager in a large-scale, highly complex civil fraud claim launched by a Middle Eastern investor.
Withers LLP focuses on fraud and asset tracing cases involving high-net-worth individuals and their businesses, ranging from art and cultural fraud to cases in the financial services industry. Stephen Ross specialises in international asset freezing and recovery cases, commercial litigation and regulatory disputes. Tatiana Menshenina, who is dual-qualified in England and Russia, has particular expertise in cross-border commercial litigation and fraud.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stephen Ross is one of the key fraud litigators in the City, pulling in the biggest work and providing very good results.’
‘This practice combines a strong commercial background with world-class experience in dealing with the affairs of ultra-high-net-worth individuals.’
‘Master strategist Stephen Ross is adept at client management. He gets the very best out of his own team by instilling a strong sense of mutual trust and confidence.’
Barrowfen Properties Limited
- Acting for Barrowfen Properties in a derivative action against a former director and his legal representation in respect of various claims, including forgery, conspiracy and professional negligence
- Acting for a high-net-worth individual in multijurisdictional litigation aimed at tracing and securing Russian based assets, which have been concealed from our client, as a judgment creditor.
- Acting for 79 Russian based retail customers of Russia’s largest banks (now in administration) in respect of allegations that they were induced to give up secure deposits held at the bank in return for loan notes that would not be honoured.
Browne Jacobson LLP's expertise in fraud disputes spans financial services, white-collar crime, insurance, D&O's liability and fraud in the health and education sectors. John Adams, who is the London-based head of the insolvency and dispute resolution team, specialises in fraud and asset recovery cases. He recently represented the trustee in the bankruptcy of Bernard L. Madoff in claims against feeder funders and service providers over fraudulent trading. Paul Wainwright in Birmingham is another notable individual. Partner Nick Pontt left the firm in October 2019.
‘John Adams is exceptional. Very hard-working and committed to his clients. Prepared to go the distance, with an instinctive feel for how matters will pan out.’
‘I have no doubt about the team’s ability, given the calibre of staff that I have dealt with (Paul Wainwright, partner, being our key contact) and good results have been obtained.
Paul Wainwright is the partner that has handled a couple of our fraud claims. It is undoubted that Paul is a leader within this field and the work undertaken is of the highest order.’
The trustee of the substantially consolidated SIPA liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and Bernard Madoff
Duff & Phelps Ltd
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company (Europe) Ltd
- Advising the trustee of the consolidated SIPA liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff and Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities in relation to various global recovery actions, including the provision of ongoing advice to the trustee in relation to his U.S. proceedings and obtaining evidence from witnesses located in England via depositions.
- Acting for the joint trustees in bankruptcy of Michael John Stanley and the liquidators of the bankrupt’s four companies to recover substantial assets including bitcoin, silver bullion, cash, UK and Spanish properties and 23 racehorses.
- Advising an investment company on the investigation and strategy for the recovery of substantial funds misappropriated by a payment services provider including obtaining a Norwich Pharmacal Order.
Clyde & Co LLP's team has particular expertise in the energy, insurance and trade sectors. It handles a mix of civil fraud litigation, investigations and regulatory compliance. One notable individual is John Whittaker, who specialises in trading disputes, international economic sanctions and advice on anti-bribery, anti-corruption and anti-money laundering. Also recommended is Fergal Cathie, who predominantly represents clients in regulatory investigations and malpractice claims.
‘There is regular communication from all, and Clyde & Co continues to excel against the rest of the market. They welcome feedback and we welcome feedback so that the teams work better with an open view and honest approach to the work. Clyde & Co will seek our instructions and every file is a team effort to resolve. I would particularly like to mention Ben Parkin and Karen Elliott. Their work, team ethic, technical knowledge and attitude to our work has been fantastic. They are in regular discussions with myself and my team, and are always prepared to go above and beyond to get the case resolved.’
- Representing a BVI-based corporate trust (administered in Hong Kong), Ivory Castle Ltd, and its settler and beneficiary, William Gibson, facing a claim against the trust and its settler as a sham arrangement designed to protect the assets of a third party, Eric Watson.
- Advising and supporting Project Martello in relation to its initiative to identify and dismiss exaggerated personal claims through section 57 of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015.
- Represented Aviva Insurance in its defence of a fraudulent personal injury claim, resulting in prosecution of the claimant.
Cooley (UK) LLP's team specialises in corruption investigations and asset recovery mandates. James Maton stands out for his work advising states throughout the world on asset recovery in major corruption cases, which often involve parallel civil and criminal proceedings. Laurence Harris has a wealth of experience in cross-border fraud and asset tracing.
Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria
Government of the Turks & Caicos Islands
Government of Trinidad & Tobago
The Mediterranean Insurance & Reinsurance Company Limited (in Administration)
- Represented the claimant, Allergy Therapeutics, a life sciences company, in a complex breach of contract claim in the High Court against a Canadian company, Inflamax, regarding the operation of a global clinical trial operated by Inflamax. It was able to secure a settlement beneficial to the client immediately before trial commenced.
- Since 2009, the firm has led the civil recovery efforts acting for the TCI Government. It has investigated and advanced more than 70 different civil claims to recover land and money from parties involved in corrupt practices/fraud.
Dorsey & Whitney's team handles international civil and criminal litigation, including fraud disputes, where it leverages its network of offices in the US and Asia. Tim Maloney, who is the head of the firm's London trial team, specialises in complex fraud cases and civil litigation. Matthew Blower acts for clients in commercial and criminal disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Watchstone Group PLC
Otello Corporation ASA
Traffic Monsoon, LLC (in receivership)
- Advised Watchstone Group PLC in a claim made against it for breach of warranty and fraudulent misrepresentation arising from a £637m sale of a division of its business.
- Acted for Otello Corporation ASA as the claimant in a shareholder dispute.
- Acting for the court-appointed receivers of a Utah-incorporated company in the English part of a worldwide enforcement action (arising from a Ponzi scheme).
DWF's team handles financial crime and civil fraud mandates, including data protection and cyber-crime cases involving allegations of fraud. Richard Twomey has almost two decades of experience bringing and defending international fraud claims. In a notable ongoing highlight, he is representing three of the defendants in the widely reported SKAT litigation being pursued by the Danish tax authorities in the English High Court and various other jurisdictions. Lorraine Carolan has notable expertise in regulatory compliance and investigations, encompassing various types of fraud.
Other key lawyers:
‘Richard Twomey is a very experienced, intelligent, thoughtful, resourceful, creative, and diligent litigation solicitor. I have worked with him for the past year on the huge SKAT litigation in the Commercial Court, and he has also brought an expert team of great skill to the case – including in particular Joshua Fineman.’
‘Lorraine Carolan is a brilliant relationship manager. She really drives the team to look at different ways to add value for her clients.’
LV General Insurance
Insure the Box
Jamtoff Trading Limited
- Representing three defendants in a claim arising out of the allegedly fraudulent operation of a dividend arbitrage tax reclaim scheme in London/Dubai in excess of £1.6bn.
- Instructed by judgment creditor Jamtoff Trading to obtain a judgment arising from credit fraud worth £1m.
- Defending a £26m debt claim and worldwide asset freezing order brought against Russian businessman Sergey Fedotov.
Fox Williams LLP has particular expertise in fraud disputes involving commodities and other financial instruments, and it also has a strong track record obtaining and discharging freezing injunctions. Gavin Foggo acts for claimants and defendants in cross-border civil fraud cases involving conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty and various other issues. Tom Custance specialises in corporate fraud.
‘Huge experience in heavy litigation and a tremendous drive to achieve results for the client.’
‘This practice demonstrates a practical approach. That said, they have unrivalled legal expertise and judgment
Gavin Foggo is an astute black letter lawyer, who has a commercial approach‘
‘The team’s civil fraud practice is experienced and tough. It compares very well to the more well-known teams at their competitors.
Gavin Foggo is an extremely capable litigator, who can navigate very large and complex claims whilst dealing masterfully with clients.
Evie Meleagros is an extremely effective senior associate, who is always on top of the detail and strategy of a case. She is effectively already operating at partner level.‘
‘They get things done on a timely basis and explain the ins and outs of the legal position extremely well so that decisions can be made effectively.
They really do have the clients best interest at heart. I would completely trust their advice to reach the goal in a commercial context.’
Hertz Europe Ltd
Global Risk Partners Ltd
Pamplona Strategic Investments Limited
MS Amlin Plc
IFG Group Plc
Balderton Capital LLP
Meem Memory Limited/Mr Kelly Sumner/ Mr Robert Brent/ Mr David Knox
Melanie Chen /Chipper Management Ltd
- Defending Melanie Chen and Chipper Management Limited against a £50m claim brought in the Commercial Court by KMG International NV arising from the alleged fraudulent dissipation of the shares in a German automotive company (Novero GmbH) and their eventual sale to Laird plc (now Laird Limited).
- Defending one of 10 defendants in a $340m claim brought in the Commercial Court by Arcadia Petroleum Limited and others for alleged fraudulent conspiracy, dishonest assistance and knowing receipt.
- Acting for the claimant in a claim he commenced against a Singaporean company in relation to a share purchase agreement. The firm successfully obtained a summary judgment.
HFW's practice is known for its strengths in international fraud litigation, as well as insolvency proceedings involving fraud, cyber fraud and fraud in the financial services and energy sectors. Rick Brown specialises in complex fraud cases involving claims for breach of contract or breach of fiduciary duty. Brown works with Hong Kong-based partner Noel Campbell, who handles fraud claims in offshore jurisdictions, such as the Caribbean. Senior associate David Chalcraft specialises in complex fraud and asset tracing mandates, often spanning multiple jurisdictions.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have broad knowledge, especially in the shipping and maritime sector.
Rick Brown is a pleasure to work with and a fantastic lawyer.’
‘HFW has an exceedingly strong civil fraud team, headed by Rick Brown. It is particularly good at getting through huge volumes of work in a short period of time, which is so often necessary for freezing injunctions and similar urgent applications.
Rick Brown (partner) is the stand-out individual. He is a consummate team leader, as well as someone who has keen commercial, as well as legal, judgment.
David Chalcraft (senior associate) is the engine of the team. The workload he is able to plough through in a short period of time is remarkable. His eye for details is also impressive; he truly can spot a needle in a haystack.’
‘Noel Campbell and Richard Brown lead an outstanding team who are used to working closely alongside clients over prolonged periods.
Their team goes out of their way to build a strong relationship with their clients and this is appreciated when working together over the long term. Particular mention to Noel Campbell, Richard Brown and David Chalcraft‘
‘A small but effective team led by Rick Brown, an experienced partner in the London office. One of the best firms in the civil fraud market.’
Grant Thornton UK LLP
IKON Finance Limited
Dr Abdullah Al-Dowaisan
- Advising the joint liquidators of a highly complex structure of BVI and Isle of Man companies known as the Arena Group.
- Successfully defended Ikon Finance in a high-value case brought by Simetra Global Assets, which involved allegations that the client ran a Ponzi scheme.
- Acting for two partners at Grant Thornton as the court-appointed receivers for Essentro, Emaco, Neodis and Viaven in enforcement proceedings arising from the litigation funder Burford Capital’s claims against Antoine Mekni for fraudulent misrepresentation.
Mayer Brown International LLP's team handles a wide range of domestic and cross-border fraud claims, with a particular specialism in disputes emerging from insolvency and restructuring issues. Alistair Graham predominantly represents financial institutions and corporates in fraud investigations and asset tracing matters. Jason Hungerford specialises in investigations involving economic sanctions, anti-corruption and anti-money laundering.
Other key lawyers:
Principal Global Investors
- Representing eOne in its public High Court battle with Monex Europe, regarding alleged trading fraud committed by Monex Europe.
- Representing UBS in a dispute against Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig involving alleged corruption, fraud and embezzlement, currently at the appeal stage in the Supreme Court.
Moon Beever specialises in acting for liquidators, directors and officers in insolvency proceedings involving fraud, with a particular focus on tax fraud. The team is also known for representing claimants and defendants in various international fraud disputes. 'Experienced and commercial' practice head Frances Coulson is highly active in contentious insolvency cases involving allegations of fraud.
‘Moon Beever is particularly recognised in civil fraud cases with a public law element.’
‘Frances Coulson has an outstanding breadth of experience in civil fraud. She is closely engaged both in working with public authorities, but also is setting the policy agenda with the government. Her ability to see clearly through complicated and evasive defence strategies is particularly impressive.’
‘Frances Coulson is highly talented, really approachable and practical.’
RSM UK LLP
Grant Thornton UK LLP
CVR Global LLP
- Advised liquidator Griffins on liaising with the FCA concerning their application, making a section 234 application, obtaining a worldwide freezing order and obtaining recognition of Griffins and the order in NY Eastern District further to Chapter 15 of the US Federal Bankruptcy Code.
- Successfully defended Adrian Bernard in proceedings brought against him as the former director of Vining Sparks UK, where it was alleged that he breached his fiduciary duties by causing the company to use an Employee Benefit Trust.
- Advising the liquidators of a large number of Chinese restaurants where large scale tax fraud is considered by HMRC to have been committed, leading to losses of millions across the group as a whole.
Steptoe & Johnson
The London civil fraud team at Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP is part of the US firm's global litigation practice, and is led by Neil Dooley, who has a particular focus on claims with a Russian element. The team features a number of Russian speakers, including Ivan Gordienko, and has a track record of work on high-profile cases.
‘Neil Dooley is a highly experienced litigator whom I cannot recommend enough. He combines impeccable judgement with practical nous and effective, no-nonsense client handling skills. A very rare combination indeed.’
‘Forget flashy and big names. Go for knowledge, experience and hard work with Neil Dooley, who has been doing Russia-related fraud and asset recovery cases for years and gets results, and Russian-speaking associate Natalia Gofman, who does great work and knows all the details. You won’t be disappointed.’
‘Steptoe & Johnson has strength at all levels of seniority and is effective and competent. It provides excellent and sound advice – an excellent value-for-money service.’
‘Steptoe & Johnson is a top-notch law firm in dealing with complex high-value international fraud cases. They are superb at problem-solving and have excellent commercial acumen and the ability to understand their clients’ needs. Their advice is always very constructive, pragmatic and commercial. The firm is very impressive in their client handling, user-friendly and very personable.’
‘A small but hard-working and reliable team.’
‘Steptoe & Johnson show impressive professionalism and deep knowledge and experience of fraud cases. There is no doubt they are marvellous legal strategists.’
‘Neil Dooley is extremely bright, hard-working and very good tactically. Neil is a highly skilled professional who always sees the bigger picture and is capable of advising on complicated matters that require pragmatic and effective solutions. He is good at identifying the strong points in his case and the weaknesses in his opponent’s case, and providing thorough advice on strategy. He is a strong team leader who has excellent rapport with his clients and team members.’
‘Natalia Gofman is extremely client-focused, incredibly hard-working and very intelligent. Natalia understands very well the nuances and strategies involved in complex commercial litigation and shows fine judgement and excellent legal analysis. Natalia is a high-calibre associate with exceptional level of knowledge, strategical thinking and analytical skills far beyond her level qualification.’
‘Natalia Gofman is a hard-working associate with brilliant strategic thinking skills. Natalia is a very commercial, bright and responsible individual who has a clear understanding of client’s needs. She is very approachable and has a good communications skills.’
‘Neil Dooley is an aggressive, results-driven litigator and provides sound and excellent advice. He is practical, knowledgeable and an excellent case coordinator.’
‘Neil Dooley and Natalia Gofman are always very prompt and responsive to my requests and suggestions. They have in-depth knowledge and exceptional international experience.’
National Trust Bank
AOS Holding AG
PJSC VTB Bank
- Acted for National Trust Bank, a Russian bank that had to be bailed out in 2014 by the injection of $1bn, obtaining successful judgment for the client.
- Appointed by a group of investors to seek $159m in a commercial fraud case against Valeri Korotkov, a Russian businessman, in a case related to a $15m investment in Grams, a cryptocurrency.
- Acted on a case which concerned the question of whether the English courts have jurisdiction to make a bankruptcy order against an individual who has already been declared bankrupt in Russia.
TLT's 'extremely versatile' team primarily acts for banks and corporates in matters involving fraud prevention, litigation, asset recovery and regulatory compliance. Richard Hayllar specialises in representing financial services companies in fraud disputes, including those involving mortgage fraud and payments fraud. Michael Ruck, who previously worked in the FCA's Enforcement and Market Oversight Division, has vast experience of investigations and enforcement actions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Michael Ruck and his team have the blend of external expertise with regulatory insight. A real advantage when positioning with the regulator and internally with the Board.
Michael Ruck is an ace professional who thinks through all of the issues before committing to clear and decisive advice.
Emma Fox is a go-to on GDPR and her input is very much valued on behalf of the banking sector.’
State Bank of India
Royal Bank of Scotland
- Acting for a consortium of 13 Indian banks in relation to the registration of an Indian judgment in England & Wales against Dr Vijay Mallya and in obtaining a freezing injunction against him.
- Advising Native Land on its involvement with Mr Arip (a PEP under investigation) and the related purchase of various multimillion pound properties in London.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP's 'personable and dedicated' team acts for clients in fraud prevention matters, investigations and recovery actions, including anti-bribery claims. The practice has seen a notable recent increase in mandates relating to cyber-fraud incidents. 'Excellent litigator' Mark Kenkre's expertise includes cases involving allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation and multijurisdictional fiduciary duty disputes. Ned Beale focuses on civil fraud and financial crime.
Other key lawyers:
‘Trowers have a strong civil fraud team, well capable of running complex, large and challenging fraud cases.’
‘The team are thorough and comprehensive. They are a safe pair of hands and you know that the service will always be of the highest quality.’
‘Mark Kenkre leads the team and is highly knowledgeable in his field. He is known for his commercial common sense and giving good strategic advice.’
St Vincent European General Partner Limited
Sameera Toorani, Maryam Toorani, Rouhangiz Toorani, Khairiyah Toorani and Zainab Toorani
Swimming Teachers’ Association Limited
Trinity Housing Association
Protec International Limited
- Assisting Central Bank of Bahrain with various disputes in the firm’s capacity of external administrator of The International Banking Corporation B.S.C. (c) (in administration).
- Acted for St Vincent European General Partner Limited in its claim for damages against 10 defendants (based in the UK, Singapore and New Zealand) as a result of breach of contract and/or an unlawful means conspiracy (stemming from the payment of a bribe of just under 1m Euro) which resulted in development land being removed from St Vincent’s control.
- Advised AAL Group on the enforcement of a circa $20m LCIA arbitration award (which the firm obtained) against a Colombian helicopter lessee.
William Grace's 'small but very effective' team focuses on litigation involving bribery, corruption, secret profits and various other allegations of fraud. The firm has a particular specialism in representing secondary defendants in multi-party cases. Alastair Shaw has a strong track record in cross-border fraud disputes. Senior consultant Abby Minns joined from Osborne Clarke LLP in June 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are a specialist boutique that do exactly what they say: provide high quality, City level work, but because of their business model it is at a different costs base to us and other big firms.’
‘Alastair Shaw is their main partner specialising in civil fraud and it is him that we generally work with. We have confidence in his ability to do a good job and act in the client’s best interests, particularly when it comes to making good judgement calls for what is the best action for a client with a limited budget.’
‘Alistair Shaw really knows his stuff and is well placed to act for individuals on large cases. In doing so he frequently works alongside larger firms and is always an effective addition to the team.’
- Advised several individuals in relation to complex proceedings against China Courier Service (USA) Corp, which included allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation and other claims, resulting in a favourable resolution.
- Advising a client in relation to further developments relating to the (now discontinued) high profile bribery and corruption proceedings LIA v SocGen and Ors and subsequent matters brought by the Libyan Investment Authority and related matters.