Known for its multijurisdictional expertise, Allen & Overy LLP is well regarded for its 'strength in depth, and the ability to field a team with capacity to analyse and handle the largest, most difficult and complex matters'. Drawing from the firm’s strength in white-collar crime and commercial litigation, the practice handles a range of fraud issues notably asset tracing, bribery, embezzlement, deceit and corruption, as well as being active in interlocutory matters, including freezing, disclosure, search and seizure orders. Jonathan Hitchin is a senior litigator with experience handling fraud matters. He leads the team that includes counsel Helen Biggin, who advises on complex, multijurisdictional fraud claims for claimants and defendants, as well as assisting corporates on internal fraud investigations. Another key name in the area is senior associate Juliet de Pencier, who focuses on cross-border dispute resolution and enforcement, with a specialisation in civil fraud.
Fraud: civil in London
Other key lawyers:
Juliet de Pencier; Helen Biggin; Lawson Caisley
‘I have frequently worked with the A&O Civil Fraud litigation team on complex commercial fraud claims. They are an outstanding team, of consistent first class talent. They have strength in depth, and the ability to field a team with capacity to analyse and handle the largest, most difficult and complex matters.’
‘I have particularly worked recently with Lawson Caisley and Juliet de Pencier, and they are outstanding.’
Deutsche Trustee Company Limited
Baker McKenzie has a reputation for cross-border fraud investigations and litigation involving conspiracy claims, economic torts and fraudulent misrepresentation. The firm combines fortes in technology issues, criminal litigation and international asset tracing, as well as handling complex international preservation and disclosure orders. Charles Thomson advises on civil and criminal matters, with particular expertise in fraud and asset tracing, money laundering, confiscation, forfeiture, insolvency and interim preservation orders. He co-leads the practice with Hugh Lyons, who has experience representing banks, corporates and other financial institutions in fraud, commercial and financial disputes. Henry Garfield is key a name in the team and was promoted to partner in 2020, and Marc Thorley joined from Simmons & Simmons, also in 2020, further deepening the firm’s depth of litigation expertise.
Charles Thomson; Hugh Lyons
Other key lawyers:
Henry Garfield; Emma Brown; Gareth Roberts; Ben Levitt
‘Commercially savvy, experienced, clever.’
‘Hugh Lyons is a very experienced, commercially minded operator. Good instincts, able to see the wood for the trees.’
‘Emma Brown is an emerging star – clever, thorough, great judgment.’
‘Top quality partner involvement. Strong team with forensic attention to detail.’
‘Charles Thomson – excellent on the law, and with superb technical knowledge, and a tenacious approach. Henry Garfield – highly practical, conscientious and responsive.’
‘Baker McKenzie has a great team, they are focused on the issues required and give such exceptional service.’
‘We dealt with Charles Thomson and Henry Garfield both of them are extremely helpful and provide the service required and will lead the case to fruitful result.’
‘Hugh Lyons is an expert in fraud and insolvency matters. He is strategic, tough with the other side but easy to work with. His team (particularly Gareth Roberts, Emma Brown and Ben Levitt) are very good’.
Tradition Financial Services Limited
Bluewater Shipping Kazakhstan LLP
Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC
Dr Kasem Narongdej
Toshiko Morimoto a.k.a. Madam Su
Abdullah Nasser Bin Obaid
- Successfully defended Prandicle Limited in various high-value claims before the English Commercial Court in a multi-billion dollar litigation.
- Representing Dubai Islamic Bank in multijurisdictional proceedings arising from a large-scale receivables fraud. The current cases are the latest iterations in a long-running saga in which the bank has sought to recover at least USD 500 million stolen in the fraud, which led to a settlement agreement, a judgment for GBP 350 million + in the UK and two High Court trials so far.
- Acted for Bluewater Shipping, a large, multi-national shipping and logistics company, in respect of a multi-million pound “push payment” fraud perpetuated on it by unknown fraudsters. The matter involved using civil and criminal processes to obtain an excellent result for our client.
Acting primarily for banks and large institutions, Charles Russell Speechlys LLP is regarded as a ‘market-leading practice, with deep experience of dealing with litigation and investigations arising from complex fraud’. The firm provides international presence and expertise, with a focus on investigations, asset recovery and portfolio management. As well as being known for private wealth expertise, its ‘distinctive characteristic is that the team is highly collaborative and creative‘. Practice head Stewart Hey advises on high-value, cross-border fraud disputes and investigations across the key sectors of financial services, banking, government and energy. He can call on the talents of Charlotte Pender, who handles a range of complex, multijurisdictional fraud and banking matters; and Caroline Greenwell, who was promoted to partner in 2021 and has ‘all of the skills to become one of the best client lawyers of her generation’.
Other key lawyers:
Jason Freedman; Charlotte Pender; Caroline Greenwell
‘Jason Freedman is rigorously commercial, has excellent litigation judgment, and knows how build and lead effective fraud litigation teams.’
‘This is a market-leading practice, with deep experience of dealing with litigation and investigations arising from complex fraud. Its distinctive characteristic is that the team is highly collaborative and creative.’
‘I would particularly single out Caroline Greenwell – a new partner in 2021, with all of the skills to become one of the best client lawyers of her generation.’
‘Stewart Hey – a dynamic and engaging operator, hardworking and incisive, with specialist knowledge of Middle East issues. Charlotte Pender – an impressive and user-friendly litigator, adept at running big teams of lawyers efficiently.’
‘This is a fantastic firm with great depth and strength. Every lawyer I deal with from this firm is seriously competent- and that’s unusual in a firm of this size!’
‘Stewart Hey is magnificent- he is everywhere at every moment. He leads a super strong team, he’s sensible and available, he’s smart, considered and a lovely guy.’
‘The CRS Civil Fraud team are absolutely brilliant. They work efficiently and effectively, always keeping in mind the commercial realities and the client’s objectives. The work product is second to none.’
‘True seasoned experts in international fraud, with knowledgeable lawyers at all levels, which means the operation can be scaled depending on the level of work required at any given time.’
Central Bank of Bahrain
Fica Frio Limited
CVR Global LLP (now known as Begbies Traynor)
Ooredoo Q, s.c.
Aldemore Bank plc
Guy Colegate (Former employee of a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell)
- Successfully represented the Joint Official Liquidators of six Cayman Islands registered companies, known collectively as the AwalCos, who were among the 15 resulting defendants in the multibillion dollar trial which uncovered a USD 330 billion Ponzi scheme.
- Pursuing the recovery of Awal’s USD 5.8 billion of balance sheet assets in numerous jurisdictions around the world, whilst defending those assets from hostile creditors.
- Successfully represented Guy Colegate, a former employee of a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell, against allegations of international bribery and corruption in the Nigerian OPL 245 affair.
CMS’s ‘arbitration team and civil fraud team really get what it is to do enforcement, both the grinding long haul of it and the need for flashes of tactical inspiration'. Specialising in the insurance, energy and financial sectors, the firm handles a range of asset tracing, risk assessment, investigations and cyber fraud matters. The group also has particular strength in CIS an Russia related cases. Practice head Bernard O’Sullivan ‘knows this market inside out and has, for many years now, been operating at the very highest level’. He can call on the expertise of Tamsin Blow, who handles multijurisdictional fraud cases, especially for claimants and defendants in proceedings arising out of Russia and the CIS; and senior associate Anita de Villiers, who has experience in fraud proceedings in the UK and in Australia.
Bernard O’Sullivan; Omar Qureshi
Other key lawyers:
Tamsin Blow; Anita de Villiers; Steve Corney; Andrew Taplin
‘CMS has a committed and tenacious team that probes fraud to its root. It then applies solid common sense to its findings and how far reaching they are, and finally puts them in the right legal frame, with a careful analysis of the law’.
‘Andrew Taplin is both a knowledgeable and calming presence in what can be difficult circumstances, inspires complete confidenceThis team’s presence in the market is significant and perhaps underrated’.
‘They deliver excellence and consistency right across the department from Partner level to both Senior and Junior Associate’.
‘Bernard O’Sullivan knows this market inside out and has, for many years now, been operating at the very highest level. A real go to from my perspective whenever I have a client looking for a recommendation in this area’.
‘Excellent to work with: realistic with clients and counsel on expectations and thorough on detail’.
‘An absolutely solid team interspersed with some brilliant stars. The arbitration team and civil fraud team really get what it is to do enforcement, both the grinding long haul of it and the need for flashes of tactical inspiration’.
‘Bernard O’Sullivan is absolutely top notch, intellectually brilliant and dynamic. Capable of both working within the parameters of the UK legal system, while taking advantage of international legal resources and tools to bring matters to a speedy, cost effective and successful conclusion. It is no wonder that he is so in demand for funded litigation, where the funders are looking to produce a genuine return on their investment’.
‘Steve Corney is a solid practitioner, calm and practical with inspiring flights of tactical nous’.
Amsterdam Trade Bank
An individual witness
- Representing Mr Alexander Gorbachev in his high-profile £2bn claim against Russian billionaire Andrey Grigoryevich Guriev to recover 24.75% of the issued share capital of PhosAgro (and associated dividends), which Mr Gorbachev alleges was the subject of oral agreements with and declarations of trust by Mr Guriev.
- Acts for Ms Koldyreva in successfully obtaining a worldwide freezing order, search orders, a passport order and Norwich Pharmacal orders and brought concurrent bankruptcy proceedings in the High Court against Mr Motylev.
- Acts for former CEO of Solo Capital, Anne Stratford in the civil and criminal proceedings arising from the collapse of Solo Capital.
Recommended for its international reach, DLA Piper is ‘very strong on Russia and CIS matters' as well as having particular expertise in Africa, the Middle East. The firm advises on a range of corporate fraud cases, notably those related to insolvency, and stand-out strengths include matters arising from the financial, energy and natural resources sectors. Litigation funding is another key area of expertise for the practice. Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry is the global co-chair of the firm’s litigation and regulatory group, he co-leads the civil fraud team with Jamie Curle, who is experienced in multijurisdictional disputes in the banking, funds and financial services sectors, as well as in fraud and asset tracing matters; and Jeremy Andrews, who focuses on fraud and asset tracing, banking and funds litigation, contentious trusts and estates, and natural resources disputes. They are ‘surrounded by excellent junior colleagues, who enhance the offering', an example being legal director Charles Allin, who is ‘clearly an impressive up and coming lawyer.'
Jamie Curle; Jeremy Andrews; Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry
Other key lawyers:
‘I would single out Jeremy Andrew and Jamie Curle in London – both very experienced and always seem to be engaged in some of the leading disputes in the area. Both are super savvy and have very close understanding of the market in which they operate. They must set a high bar as they are surrounded by excellent junior colleagues, who enhance the offering’.
‘Jeremy Andrews is a highly regarded fraud litigator. Very effective and unflappable.’
‘Great experience and good value. They will work hard for their clients and put together the right team for a job.’
‘Jeremy Andrews and Jamie Curle lead the charge in this area. They have instructions from well-known UK and international entities both in litigation and arbitration. They have run complex court and arbitration claims with multi-jurisdictional issues. Jeremy is a clever man, sensitive to nuance and strategy. Jamie has excellent experience and clients love him. They are excellent to work with.’
‘International reach, very strong on Russia and CIS matters.’
‘Jeremy Andrews – highly collaborative and stategic’
‘This firm stands out as being proactive and providing intelligible pragmatic advice. That does not detract from the underlying impressive intelligence of their lawyers, but unlike many other firms they focus on solutions rather than highlighting problems.’
‘Jamie Curle is my go-to London civil fraud partner. He is highly intelligent but focused on the outcome. He does not let cute points of law stand in the way of getting a solution and the right result for the client.’
Renova Industries Limited
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The dedicated fraud group of Herbert Smith Freehills LLP ‘is a market leader’, known for large, complex and multijurisdictional cases. The practice provides a ‘breadth of experience in all aspect of fraud litigation, asset tracing, and cross-jurisdictional disputes’, utilising the firm’s extensive global platform. Key distinguishing features include in-house advocacy capabilities and AI document reviewing tools, as well as particular expertise in CIS related work. Jeremy Garson leads the team and has a ‘first rate knowledge of civil fraud and asset recovery matters’. Also active in the area is senior associate Heather Rankin, who has notable experience in proceedings related to allegations of fraud against banks.
Other key lawyers:
‘HSF’s Civil Fraud practice is a market leader. Their breadth of experience in all aspect of fraud litigation, asset tracing, and cross-jurisdictional disputes (supported by network of offices in other jurisdictions) is second to none, as is the calibre of their partners and associates’.
‘Their quality of advice and analysis marks them out from other law firms. They do not simply defer to Counsel; they are at the heart of the thinking and decision making on all of their matters’.
‘Jeremy Garson is technically and tactically one of the best lawyers in the City. A formidable opponent for any fraudster. He is involved in all aspects of a dispute, from the strategic thinking and legal analysis to the client and matter management’.
‘I have dealt with several indivdiuals from HSF. They are a thoroughly professional outfit, unfailingly calm and polite. I have always found their technical knowledge to be extremely strong and their client management is first-class’.
‘Jeremy Garson brings real gravitas and intellect to cases. He has a first rate knowledge of civil fraud and asset recovery matters. He is extremely approachable and nice to work with’.
‘Jeremy Garson is a standout civil fraud practitioner. He is extremely clever, thinks strategically and provides high quality advice’.
‘The practice is capable of working on the matters of any scale and complexity. They are so good at what they do that even large international law firms instruct this practice on their own contentious matters. My own experience of dealing with the practice involves working for some of the largest businesses not only in Ukraine but, indeed, globally’.
‘The team ensures high diversity in terms of gender, skin, geographic representation and, importantly, disabilities. They are also value for money’.
Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation (SIPC); Addax Petroleum UK Limited
Tarek Investments Limited, Pontwelly Holdings Company Limited, AH Overseas Limited and Vladislav Doronin
Jinxin Inc, an offshore special purpose vehicle
Ron Dennis and Abelo Estates Limited
- Represent SIPC and Addax (subsidiaries of the Sinopec Group) in possibly the largest claim ever filed with the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, valued in excess of US$ 5.5 billion.
- Acting for Tarek Investments Limited (“Tarek”), Pontwelly Holdings Company Limited, AH Overseas Limited and Vladislav Doronin (a well-known Russian billionaire) in relation to a dispute regarding the Aman Resorts group of luxury hotels. This dispute involves a number of fraud claims and has generated multiple substantial interlocutory hearings and significant press attention.
- Act for Jinxin Inc in respect of claims in deceit and unlawful means conspiracy worth over US$660 million.
The specialists in multijurisdictional disputes at Hogan Lovells International LLP are 'fraud lawyers at the very top of the tree’, with ‘huge depth of experience and unparalleled competence at all seniorities'. The firm leverages its global platform to advise on a range of CIS work, particularly Russia and Ukraine related matters, as well as having a niche specialism in cases arising out of Libya. Practice head Crispin Rapinet has expertise in cases involving Asia and the Middle East. His team includes civil fraud specialist Michael Roberts; Chris Hardman, who has built a reputation as a go-to lawyer for CIS and Russia cases; Rebecca Wales, who handles complex CIS fraud matters; and Liam Naidoo, who was promoted to partner in 2020 and has considerable experience in multijurisdictional cases involving civil fraud and criminal elements.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Roberts; Chris Hardman; Rebecca Wales; Liam Naidoo; Oliver Humphrey; Rebecca Hing
‘Fraud lawyers at the very top of the tree. Huge depth of experience and unparalleled competence at all seniorities’.
‘Crispin Rapinet, Oliver Humphrey and Rebecca Hing are all standout performers’.
‘Great tactical judgment. They have seen it all before and therefore know exactly what to do’.
‘I have worked with this practice of Hogan Lovells for a long time and have always received a lot of attention, excellent advice. They are very client-oriented and are keen to explore and explain all possible options. They have been instrumental in delivering great results and navigating through complicated issues’.
‘The key individuals I worked with on the civil side are Chris Hardman, Richard Lewis and Rebecca Wales who consistently impressed me as lawyers of very high calibre, impeccable ethics and in-depth expertise’.
‘Standout expertise in complex CIS related litigation and particularly civil fraud and asset recovery’.
‘Richard Lewis is the lead partner and is a talented tactician in pressuring defendants to settle or compromise their positions’.
Sergiy Taruta and Dargamo Holdings Limited
JSC CB PrivatBank
Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC)
FM Capital Partners Ltd
JSC BTA Bank
- Advising Sergiy Taruta and Dargamo Holdings Limited on allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, dishonest assistance, knowing receipt and conspiracy in connection with a shareholder dispute between four Ukrainian oligarchs who were longstanding partners in one of Europe’s largest metals producers, Industrial Union of Donbass (ISD).
- Continuing to advise ENRC in relation to the investigation by the SFO and a number of related court proceedings arising out of that investigation, including its US$93 million claim against the SFO itself which has been billed by the Lawyer as one of the Top 20 Cases in 2021.
- Advising on the high-profile claim brought by JSC CB PrivatBank (PrivatBank), the largest bank in Ukraine and now in state ownership, against its former shareholders, Igor Kolomoisky and Gennadiy Bogolyubov, and six companies alleged to be (secretly) owned by them.
The cross-border litigation, asset recovery and international enforcement practice of Jones Day combines fraud, investigations and white-collar expertise with a well earned reputation for international and multijurisdictional work. Asset-tracing, corruption and enforcement mandates are all areas of strength for the ‘high performing civil fraud practice’. The firm also provides ‘excellent strategic insight in relation to litigation generally and how particular applications fit in, and effectively manage clients'. Head of global disputes Sion Richards co-leads the team with Barnaby Stueck, who is head of offshore disputes and ‘has a genuine feel for how litigation will play out'.
Sion Richards; Barnaby Stueck
Other key lawyers:
Lizzy Callaghan; Karl Moussalli
‘Jones Day is a high performing civil fraud practice. They are efficient, are aware of and keep focus on the most important issues in the case and applications, have excellent strategic insight in relation to litigation generally and how particular applications fit in, and effectively manage clients’.
‘The associates with whom I have worked are from a number of countries and helpfully can fluently speak multiple languages. This team has also shown particular strength in detailed asset tracing exercises, which has required pulling together a large number of documents from different sources. Their own legal and factual analysis is strong, and they are very hardworking’.
‘In all cases, the team’s analysis was strong, their ability to prioritise and keep sight of key issues was helpful, and their willingness to go the extra mile to ensure our client’s case was put as well as it could be was striking’.
‘The litigation is well run and efficient and, from a client’s point of view, the team will pursue the client’s interests aggressively which, at the same time, giving the client clear advice and options’.
‘Barney Stueck is fantastic. He’s litigated in the UK and offshore for years and has a genuine feel for how litigation will play out’.
‘Lizzy Callaghan is great. She’s very experienced and adds value to the legal case as well as managing the litigation day to day’.
‘A truly brilliant team for civil fraud disputes; they have excellent experience, particularly in relation to the private equity sphere and hedge funds, and make especially intuitive use of technology to assist in managing case’.
‘Sion Richards is responsive, flexible, accurate and is able to shift and deliver quickly between macro matters and micro matters in complex cross-border legal disputes related to fraud, anti-money laundering and insolvency/restructuring’.
Essilor International SAS, Essidev SASU & Essilor Manufacturing (Thailand) Co. Limited
Commercial Bank of Dubai PSC
Abdulhameed Dhia Jafar, Founder and Chairman of the Crescent Group of Companies
Jonathan Faiman and Project Today Holdings Limited (“T0day”)
Alta Trading UK Limited
Nicholas Guy Edwards and Matthew David Smith of Deloitte LLP in their capacity as Joint Liquidators of Angel Group Limited & Others
Khalid Abdullah Al-Hezaimi
- Acting for the Essilor Group in asset-tracing, recovery and enforcement actions in more than 30 jurisdictions to recover USD 213 million worth of misappropriated funds.
- Acting for Commercial Bank of Dubai in multi-jurisdictional proceedings against high-profile individuals to recover c. AED 950 million owed in the context of various loan facilities.
- Acting for Mr Abdulhameed Dhia Jafar with respect to his USD 300+ million fraud claims against certain Abraaj Group entities following the much publicised collapse of the group.
Acting for banks and large corporates, Linklaters LLP specialises in multijurisdictional fraud cases related to securities litigation, cyber fraud and accounting fraud. Key names in the area include Michael Bennett, who handles cross-border investigations and enforcement proceedings; Satindar Dogra, who is known for corporate crime and fraud expertise, particularly anti-bribery, sanctions and FCA compliance work; and Rory Conway, who focuses on commercial litigation, civil fraud cases being a forte.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Bennett; Satindar Dogra; Rory Conway
Mishcon de Reya LLP’s international fraud practice has broad experience in claimant and defence work, notably in obtaining and striking out freezing orders and injunctions. The firm provides a ‘collaborative and diverse team with strong language skills – particularly helpful in cross border matters or cases involving foreign clients‘, as well as multidisciplinary services to support the civil fraud department, including digital investigations, cyber, e-discovery and forensic accountancy. The team is co-led by Kasra Nouroozi, who focuses on complex disputes, investigations and cross border injunctions and Hugo Plowman, who has experience in cases involving state actors and the interplay between criminal, civil and regulatory jurisdictions. Another key name in the practice is Gary Miller, who is well regarded as an international litigator in commercial disputes.
Kasra Nouroozi; Hugo Plowman
Other key lawyers:
‘Very hard working and responsive team with significant experience in civil fraud matters’.
‘Partners are very good with clients and provide excellent strategic overview and input. Associates are very hard working, personable and easy to deal with’.
‘Collaborative and diverse team with strong language skills – particularly helpful in cross border matters or cases involving foreign clients’.
‘Sinead Esler Patel is one of the best solicitors I have ever worked with – the quality of her work is very high, her attention to detail is exemplary and she is a pleasure to work with- she is very personable and very hard working. Miten Vaghela is also very easy to work with, has good judgment and is hard working’.
‘Very experienced and tenacious team, able to handle every aspect of a civil fraud dispute, whether for claimant or defendant’.
‘Naomi Simpson – clever, excellent judgment. Gary Miller – vastly experienced, sees around corners, and through each potential course of action to the possible outcomes. Kasra Nouroozi – huge knowledge of the law and of tactics, and superb at handling cases with complex webs of parties and stakeholders’.
‘Highly strategic, talented and knowledgeable lawyers; outcome oriented advice; cutting edge use of machine learning in large disclosure projects’.
Ocado Group plc
Koza Altin Isletmelerei A.S., Turkey’s largest gold mining company
Raiffeisenbank International AG (RBI)
The April 2021 merger of PCB Litigation LLP and Byrne & Partners saw ‘two top tier boutiques join forces’ to form the market leading civil fraud practice of PCB Byrne. The firm provides broad experience in civil fraud with expertise in asset forfeiture, extradition, white-collar crime and regulatory disputes. The ‘main strength of the team is strategic approach and out of box thinking combined with the thorough understanding of client’s business objectives in the case‘. Anthony Riem handles fraud investigation and litigation, asset recovery, banking litigation, commercial litigation and expertise in complex cross-border disputes. He co-leads the team with Nicola Boulton, who specialises in fraud, trust and financial services disputes and cases involving freezing orders and other interlocutory injunctions; and Trevor Mascarenhas, who is known for civil fraud, asset recovery and multijurisdictional proceedings, particularly in relation to injunctive relief. The team was further strengthened in 2021 by the arrival of cross-border disputes specialist Uliana Cooke from Allen & Overy LLP.
Anthony Riem; Trevor Mascarenhas; Nicola Boulton
Other key lawyers:
Uliana Cooke; Nick Ractliff
‘The main strengh of the team is strategic approach and out of box thinking combined with the thourough understanding of client’s business objectives in the case’.
‘Anthony Riem is quick witted and shows a well-balanced approah to every task.’
‘Very flexible in considering requests from client, particularly with regard to billing arrangements. Very prompt and efficient service delivered in a client friendly manner’.
‘A very nimble team with excellent and deep skills in the sector. Huge experience in the trickiest of fraud cases’.
‘I had the pleasure to work with PCB Byrne’s Fraud Team in several complex cross-border fraud cases involving major payments in the last year. I always found the team extremly responsive and skillful in those cases. A number of those could be resolved with the team’s assistance either on an out of court basis or at least when orders were obtained from the English Courts’.
‘I am very supportive of the ground-breaking PCB Byrne merger which sees two top tier boutiques join forces and in doing so being the first firm to enter in to a deal with a litigation funder’.
H.E. Saeed Al Qebaisi
Deposit Guarantee Fund of Ukraine
KMG International NV
Domestic & General
IFT S.A.L. Offshore
Ocorian Trustees (Jersey) Limited
Cheong Choo Young and Lorsch Ltd
- Acting for Akhmedova in enforcing what is believed to be the largest ordered divorce award in English divorce history in 11 jurisdictions where the defendants have taken every conceivable steps to hide assets to prevent enforcement.
- Acting for Khalifa Almuhairi and Saeed Al Qebaisi, 2 major shareholders of NMC Health Plc in respect of claims arising from the collapse of that FTSE 100 company, including the defence of a US$1bn claim by Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank.
- Acting for VTB in a €225m fraud claim between Russia’s two largest banks in the Commercial Court, with freezing injunctions in support of related consolidated LCIA arbitration proceedings.
Pinsent Masons LLP
The civil fraud and asset recovery practice of Pinsent Masons LLP is well regarded for the 'breadth and depth of the experience of the team and the ability to draw on the resources of partners from different disciplines to provide seamless, pragmatic advice’. The firm provides clients an in-house forensic accounting capacity as well as international reach, allowing the department to handle large multijuristictional fraud matters. Practice head Alan Sheeley is ‘rock solid in the most difficult situations’ and advises domestic and foreign banks, corporates and insolvency practitioners on complex litigation and asset recovery related to fraud. His team includes ‘top drawer associate’ Andrew Barns-Graham and associate Jennifer Craven, who is a ‘real fraud specialist’.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Barns-Graham; Jennifer Craven
‘Alan Sheeley is the big hitting partner in many of the leading fraud cases. An incredible work ethic and dedication to winning the case. Rock solid in the most difficult situations. A real star.’
‘Focusing on civil fraud, experienced partners and an excellent associate team; at significantly lower rates than the magic circle but with all of the equivalent judgment and experience.’
‘Andrew Barns-Graham is a top drawer associate, who carries the day to day load and masters the detail.’
‘Really important team in the civil fraud world. Led by the steely but charming Alan Sheeley they are able to take on the very biggest cases in the market.’
‘Jennifer Craven is highly intelligent and polished yet holding an easy manner that means that she is both reassuring and a pleasure to work with. A real fraud specialist.’
‘Breadth and depth of the experience of the team and the ability to draw on the resources of partners from different disciplines to provide seamless, pragmatic advice.’
‘They work incredibly efficiently, they really make the most of their resources, and the quality of the work they produce is absolutely exceptional. They’re a dream to work with.’
‘Andrew Herring has a phenomenal brain, and allies it with a solid commercial grounding which gives the client a warts-and-all view of every challenge.’
Skatteforvaltningen (The Danish Customs and Tax Administration)
LLB Verwaltung (Schweiz) AG
Teamtrend Limited, Trade Point Agro Limited, Collyer Limited, Rossyn Investing Corp, Milbert Ventures Inc and Zao Ukrtransitservice Ltd
Dalriada Trustees Ltd
SPA Technique Limited
A large group of investors in the Carlauren care home investment scheme
NatWest Markets Plc
A peer to peer lending company
- Advising the Danish Customs and Tax Administration as the claimant in a complex, multi-party, multi-jurisdiction fraud claim seeking to recover c. £1.5 billion in the English High Court.
- Acting for Teamtrend Limited, Trade Point Agro Limited, Collyer Limited, Rossyn Investing Corp, Milbert Ventures Inc and Zao Ukrtransitservice Ltd (the defendants) in relation to a US$ 2.6 billion claim brought by a Ukrainian bank in the English High Court.
- Acting for RBS in a claim brought by a claimant group involving 17 liquidators, which has recently gone to a 5 day Court of Appeal hearing after we secured permission for our client to appeal the first instance judgment, which imposed a liability of c.£45,000,000 on RBS.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP acts in fraud litigation and arbitration for a range of clients, including bankruptcy office holders and high net worth individuals. The firm is ‘backed by huge international heft and their client offering is 360 degrees‘, this covers a range of jurisdictions, notably Europe, the CIS, the BVI, the Middle East and North Africa. Practice head Nick Marsh is active fraud cases involving parallel proceedings in multiple jurisdictions and freezing orders. He can call on the expertise of Ted Greeno, who is co-managing partner of the firm’s London office and co-chair of the energy disputes practice; and Khaled Khatoun, who has particular strength in handling shareholder disputes, as well as high value multijurisdictional fraud matters. Experienced litigator Justin Michaelson joined from Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP in 2020 and further boosts the firm’s capacity in commercial litigation and arbitration. Sue Prevezer QC left in 2020 to join Brick Court Chambers.
Other key lawyers:
Khaled Khatoun; Ted Greeno; Justin Michaelson; Marina Boterashvili; Hafsa Zayyan; Gregory Pantlin
‘Their reputation is so established that they provoke fear/ concern on their opponents. Because they are focussed on litigation and arbitration, conflicts are not a problem’.
‘They attract the best lawyers. Nick Marsh is one of the most experienced litigators. Great understanding of how to present a case. A team leader of considerable experience’.
‘Quinn Emanuel is the premier fraud litigation unit in London, with a particular expertise in Russian and Middle Eastern work’.
‘Richard East is the daddy of of the niche litigation market in London: bold, aggressive and remorseless in his pursuit of the best outcomes for his clients. A litigation colossus’.
‘Nick Marsh is a strategic visionary: creative, patient and a brilliant strategic team leader. Nothing daunts him’.
‘Khaled Khatoun is an outstanding partner in the firm. I have worked with many US/UK firms and can easily say that he is the best lawyer that I have worked with.’
‘QE are to my mind the most effective heavy litigators in London. Their offering is backed by huge international heft and their client offering is 360 degrees’.
Vitaliy Gaiduk and Elena Gaiduk
The Joint Administrators of NMC Health PLC (in administration in England) and NMC Healthcare LTD (in administration in the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM))
Federal Insurance Deposit Corporation
Peter Bosworth and Colin Hurley
The Essar Companies
Vladimir Chernukhin, Lubov Chernukhin and Navigator Equities Limited
Terre Neuve SARL, Largely Investments SA and Laurent Zahut
Bluecrest Capital Management UK LLP and Special Capital Limited
Gerald Metals SA
HRH Prince Khaled Bin Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and HRH Princess Deema Bint Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
The Joint Administrators of JD Classics Limited
- Advised on Avonwick’s USD 1 billion claim against Sergiy Taruta and Oleg Mktrchan and Mr and Mrs Gaiduk’s defence of Mr Taruta’s substantial counterclaims, all of which arose from Ukraine’s largest M&A deal, the USD 2.7 billion sale of Industrial Union of Donbass.
- Representing private equity firm PCP Capital Partners in a £1.5 billion civil claim against Barclays. PCP’s claim arises out of fraudulent misrepresentations which PCP alleges were made to it by Barclays in the context of its capital raising in October and November 2008.
- Act for the Joint Administrators of NMC Health PLC and NMC Healthcare LTD. Following a fraud which was perpetrated on the NMC Group, the group suffered estimated losses of more than USD 4 billion. Quinn Emanuel are investigating the fraud and advising the Joint Administrators on high-value claims against multiple defendants valued at USD 4 billion.
Simmons & Simmons
Experienced working across multiple jurisdictions in complex fraud and investigations, Simmons & Simmons is best known for expertise in financial fraud, cross-border asset tracing and international enforcement of judgments. The practice can draw from specialists in competition, market abuse and bribery, as well as a dedicated white-collar crime team, to advise on the a range of civil, criminal and regulatory parallel proceedings that arise in fraud claims. The well-regarded department is also recommended for ‘a total commitment to achieving the best possible result for the client; regular, clear and realistic advice to the client; and in depth legal and business knowledge'. Nick Benwell advises corporate and individual clients on corporate crime, corruption, money laundering and fraud related matters. He co-leads the team with Patrick Boylan, who specialises in interim-relief, tracing remedies and the interplay of civil and criminal law. Another key name in the area is associate Chloe Morris, who focuses on civil fraud, directors’ liability, civil and criminal law.
Nick Benwell; Patrick Boylan
Other key lawyers:
Ian Hammond; Kirsten Kitt; Chloe Morris
‘The key characteristics of Simmons & Simmons are, in my view, a total commitment to achieving the best possible result for the client; regular, clear, and realistic advice to the client; and in depth legal and business knowledge’.
‘Ian Hammond (partner) is a superb litigator, who always has an immediate grasp of the strategic and tactical situation. I cannot praise Chloe Morris (associate) highly enough. Her factual and legal analysis is consistently first class; she has excellent client handling skills; and is wise will beyond her years: a great partner in the making’.
‘Proactive, highly skilled and great partner interaction/availability. Seems to be a good firm culture, very personable and approachable lawyers’.
‘Firm has used technology well during pandemic to maintain client contact and deliver legal services’.
‘Knowledgeable, highly skilled, proactive and engaged in working out what is the best strategy for the business’.
‘Simmons and Simmons have a wide understanding of the matter, including both the legal liability aspects but also the detailed accounting and quantum aspects of the proposed claim’.
‘They collaborate well with the client’s team. I am particularly impressed by strategic thinking around the claim’.
‘I have primarily worked with Ian Hammond, Kirsten Kitt and Chloe Morris. I have been impressed by their ability to develop and focus a complex claim involving numerous jurisdictional issues, multifaceted counterfactuals and several interested parties with different goals. In particular their advice on litigation strategy has been excellent, especially given the commercial elements at play in an insolvency’.
The O1 Group
EFG Bank AG
Keleston Holdings Limited
- Representing the former CFO of Autonomy Corporation plc, Sushovan Hussain in one of the largest civil claims to come before the English Court.
- Representing Nori, Centimila and Coniston in a $600m arbitration, and two high-net-worth individual defendants in a near-identical dispute, both of which involve what was one of Russia’s largest private banks, Otkritie Bank.
- Acting for EFG Bank AG, a Swiss private bank, as one of 38 Defendants in an $800 million claim brought by The Public Institution for Social Security of Kuwait (“PIFSS”) in the Commercial Court.
Acting for claimants and defendants on business-critical fraud cases, Stephenson Harwood is known as 'a fantastic group of people doing some of the most high-profile fraud work in the London market - a highly efficient and savvy team with real strength in depth'. The firm has substantial expertise in international fraud litigation from emerging markets and developing economies, notably Thailand, Africa, India, South America and particularly the CIS and Russia. The department has experience across the spectrum of injunctions, asset tracing and fraud recovery work. Ros Prince focuses on high value fraud and financial services litigation. She co-leads the team with Alan Bercow, who handles a range of disputes as well as tracing and recovering assets across multiple jurisdictions. Other key names in the area include expert litigator John Fordham and senior associate Priya Grigoriadis, who specialises in complex litigation, arbitration, fraud and asset recovery.
Ros Prince; Alan Bercow
Other key lawyers:
John Fordham; Priya Grigoriadis
‘It is quite clear to me that their approach to clients and the approach to adopt is exceptional. I simply cannot recommend them more highly’.
‘Ros Prince – very, very effective. A sage individual who really knows how to approach matters and get results. I like being on her side, I wouldn’t want to be opposite her (but having said that I can see that she treats people with respect, professionalism and courtesy)’.
‘Extremely client oriented, professional and knowledgeable team with outstanding experience’.
‘Ros Prince is outstanding in her ability to act and advise not only on discrete issues, bur also on strategy in complex multi-jurisdictional matters involving both issues of fact and of law, national and international. Ros’ leadership of the team and her ability to engage with the counsel and lawyers from other jurisdictions is second to none’.
‘Priya Grigoriadis excels in managing the case from the procedural perspective and has extraordinary client skills’.
‘A fantastic group of people doing some of the most high-profile fraud work in the London market – a highly efficient and savvy team with real strength in depth’.
‘Alan Bercow steadies the ship and with his experience is able to handle the client. John Fordham has unparalleled experience and knowledge in the area of commercial fraud and asset recovery’.
‘When you have a major issues, I want to know that the team of lawyers have done this a hundred times and know all the tricks that a debtor knows. Stephenson Harwood are one of the top rated fraud recovery teams in London and have been doing this forever. This gives me a lot of comfort’.
Former shareholders of Yukos Oil Company
Libyan Investment Authority
Medlands PTC Limited (as trustee of the Trust) and an underlying company of the Trust
Mr Ravi Ruia and Mr Prashant Ruia
Shane Crooks and Malcolm Cohen of BDO LLP
MOG Holding Limited
Yuriy Ivanyushchenko, Ivan Avramov and others
- Continue to act for the former shareholders of Yukos Oil Company on their enforcement action in England in relation to US$54 billion+ arbitration awards against the Russian Federation.
- Act in relation to the affairs of the Libyan Investment Authority (“LIA”) representing one of the persons claiming to be chairman of the LIA in various claims, based on misappropriation of Libyan assets during the Gaddafi era, in different jurisdictions around the world, including the UK, Cayman Islands, the Netherlands and France and including the appointment by the English Commercial Court of receivers and managers in relation to LIA assets and claims.
- Client Igor Mints is a successful Russian businessman and the co-owner of an international investment management company headquartered in London. On 28 June 2019, two Russian banks, PJSC National Bank Trust and PJSC Bank Otkritie Financial Corporation, commenced proceedings claiming US$572 million against him, his father and his two brothers.
Bird & Bird LLP acts across the spectrum of civil fraud related matters, with particular strengths including international risk management and compliance advice, HMRC investigations and fraud, pension fraud, corporate fraud, asset tracing and market abuse. The firm is also active in complex civil fraud related regulatory investigations, and provides expertise in retrieving hidden assets. Sophie Eyre leads the team and advises on international and domestic commercial fraud cases in litigation and arbitration, as well as specialising in ancillary relief applications to preserve documents and assets. Another key name in the area is associate Simona Peter, who advises on fraud allegations for both claimants and defendants.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Speed; Simona Peter
Konstantin Grigoryevich Kagalovsky
Carpatsky Petroleum Corporation
Bart de Laender
OMBZ Limited and the Directors of Basis Technologies Holdings Limited
- Proceedings under s423 Insolvency Act regarding the dissipating of company assets the subject of a New York judgment. Issues involved Ukrainian law, New York law, Russian sanctions, court discretion and mental capacity, serious allegations of fraud, asset stripping and detailed asset tracing.
- Acted for a BVI Venture Capital Fund in defending it against claims brought by a former funder of a biological software company based in London. The team successfully negotiated a favourable settlement agreement which enabled the company to thrive.
- Act for OMBZ Limited and the Directors of Basis Technologies Holdings Limited in claims brought by a shareholder of Basis Technologies Group Limited. The claims involve complex issues of law including unfair prejudice claims, breaches of director duties, conflict of interest, misuse of company funds and unlawful means conspiracy relating to a restructuring exercise.
The 'very experienced and able practitioners in fraud’ at Brown Rudnick LLP are recommended for a ‘particular specialism in handling claims by and against foreign domiciled parties'. The practice also has experienced handling complex fraud and regulatory disputes spanning the US, Russia, CIS countries, MENA and offshore jurisdictions. Another key specialism for the firm is pursuing wrongdoers with a range of domestic and international freezing and search orders. Neill Shrimpton leads the department and covers a range of commercial litigation and arbitration work. Jane Colston is a ‘stand-out commercial and fraud litigator’, who focuses on high-value commercial banking, contract and tort disputes, as well as company, shareholders and partnership disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘A really close-knit and mutually respectful team of excellent practitioners operating in the biggest cases at the highest level’.
‘Jane Colston – stand-out commercial and fraud litigator. A joy to work with. Hugely effective, never takes her eye off the main objective, which is achieving the best result for the client. Highly respected by her motivated team. Always available’.
‘Highly efficient legal team doing high profile cases. They have good support from their financial services team and so provide the total product’.
‘Very experienced and able practitioners in fraud, with particular specialism in handling claims by and against foreign domiciled parties’.
‘Olga Bischof – very knowledgeable, practical, responsive and good at forming a team’.
‘The clear differentiator for me is Jane Colston, who I rate as being one of the top litigators in London. So good, that I do not hesitate in referring clients/conflict work to her!’.
‘I collaborate with BR on various cross-border projects, particularly those facing the US where they have a pre-eminent litigation team’.
‘Jane Colston. Fabulous intellect, strategically and legally astute and great collaborator. I rate Jane as being one of the leading litigators in London and have previously and continue to refer clients/conflict work to her’.
Recovery Partners GP Limited and Revoker LLP
Edo Barac, Silvercouk Ltd, Luna Capital Partners LLP, Copella Capital Ltd, Zuben Capital Limited, Silver Fox Holdings Ltd
Sir Frederick Barclay and Amanda Barclay
- Acts for Recovery Partners GP Limited and Revoker LLP, the Claimants, in this matter which concerns the unlawful diversion of a business opportunity to provide services to members of the surviving family of the deceased Georgian billionaire Arkadi Patarkatsishvili whose estate came under attack in the period following his unexpected death in 2008.
- Represent the Defendant, Andrey Guriev, a Russian businessman and deputy chairman of OJSC PhosAgro (“PhosAgro”), a leading global producer of fertilisers which is listed on the London and Moscow stock exchange. The Claimant, Mr Gorbachev, a former business associate of Mr Guriev.
- Represents the 7th Defendant, Mikail Shishkahnov, in proceedings in the Commercial Court brought by two Russian banks. The proceedings were originally brought against various members of the Mints family and there is a freezing order against their assets for over £500 million.
The multidisciplinary Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP ‘able to draw upon a breadth of experience and provide a joined up service involving relevant specialists'. The firm is distinguished by its forensic technology team, that offers in-house forensic services, forensic accountants and IT specialists to identify and analyse financial activity and evidence which may suggest or uncover fraud. The practice also provides innovative tools to assist review of evidence using AI, as well an experienced in-house silk, Mukul Chawla QC, who can assist in criminal matters. Segun Osuntokun is head of the civil fraud practice and managing partner of the London office. He acts for a range of clients across sectors, with a particular focus on developing nations. Another key name in the team is Andrew Tuson, who is ‘thorough, knowledgeable and always ready to test the boundaries of legal positions and be creative in advancing a client's position'.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Tuson; Graham Shear
‘The BCLP team is highly responsive and client focused. They are able to draw upon a breadth of experience and provide a joined up service involving relevant specialists’.
‘There is a clear cohesion amongst the partners within the team and across practice areas. They demonstrate a market awareness that is second to none’.
‘The individuals clearly demonstrate not only an unerring drive to achieve results for their clients but in doing so consistently recognize the commercial aspects of disputes and solutions that clients need to be considered’.
‘Andrew Tuson is thorough, knowledgeable and always ready to test the boundaries of legal positions and be creative in advancing a client’s position’.
‘They are all over the detail, but are able to cut through the detail to the points which really matter. Staffing is phenomenal. Very experienced partners dedicate proper time to getting to grips with matters, while day to day management of cases is conducted by highly competent senior associates’.
‘Graham Shear has the intelligence, experience and commercial sense to identify the issues which really matter, and deal with them’.
‘They have a good combination of partner experience and associate thoroughness; and are particularly good at handling matters for international clients where the channels of instruction are not always so clear’.
‘Segun Osuntokun is a complete class act; unflappable’.
- Representing the Asturion Fondation – a foundation established to hold assets on behalf of the Saudi royal family – in highly contested proceedings for the recovery of an ultra-high value property portfolio including property in London.
The commercial dispute resolution practice of Clifford Chance LLP provides ‘all the might of a major international law firm with remarkable deftness of touch in its London team'. The firm combines expertise in fraud and asset tracing with an international team of regulatory investigations, enforcement and white-collar specialists to handle complex international fraud investigations. Experienced commercial litigator Matthew Scully leads the team that includes Kelwin Nicholls, who is advising Autonomy founder Mike Lynch against the high-profile allegations of financial impropriety and misrepresentation made by Hewlett Packard (HP), in relation to allegations of fraud arising out of the sale of Autonomy to HP.
Other key lawyers:
‘I think its one of the best practices in this sector in the world’.
‘I recommended them for work on two occasions very successfully. You get all the might of a major international law firm with remarkable deftness of touch in their London team’.
Dr Mike Lynch, Founder of Autonomy
Richard Deitz – President, Founder and President of VR Capital
Serco Group Plc
SP Hinduja by his litigation friend Vinoo Hinduja
Panasonic Europe B.V.
Cellcom Telecommunications Ltd
- Representing Dr Lynch over a period of four years, culminating in a 9-month trial in the English High Court (and subsequently, extradition proceedings), in relation to allegations of fraud arising out of the sale of Autonomy to Hewlett Packard.
- Represented Mr Ananiev in response to multiple freezing order applications by Russian investors in connection with English proceedings in respect of which the English Court found that it lacked jurisdiction, succeding in resisting the applications and obtaining indemnity costs.
- Represented the founder and president of VR Capital, as one of a consortium of five defendants in an English High Court action brought by a Yukos Oil subsidiary, Yukos Finance B.V., and related entities (represented by CMS) in the aftermath of the much publicised and litigated bankruptcy of Yukos Oil.
Enyo Law LLP
The ‘outstanding litigation boutique’ Enyo Law LLP has a ‘particular strength in identifying the winning points, approach and selling it to the client. They therefore start trials in the strongest possible position'. The firm is active in matters related to allegations of wrongdoing and dishonesty and experienced in bringing and defending applications for interim remedies, including freezing orders, passport orders, asset inquiries and contempt proceedings. Another key area of expertise is securing and enforcing judgments. Notable in the area are Pietro Marino, who has a broad commercial disputes practice with particular fortes in commercial fraud, asset tracing, offshore contentious trust disputes and cross-border disputes in the oil, gas and metals sectors; Edward Allen, who covers international and domestic commercial disputes, especially civil fraud and complex financial proceedings; and Konrad Rodgers, who focuses on cross-jurisdictional fraud disputes and international commercial arbitration and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Pietro Marino; Edward Allen; Konrad Rodgers; Richard Levett; Boris Telyatnikov
‘Enyo are an outstanding litigation boutique: they are very strong both tactically and strategically. Compared to other firms I have worked with they have a particular strength in identifying the winning points/approach and (critically) selling it to the client. They therefore start trials in the strongest possible position’.
‘I have been particularly impressed with Edward Allen, whose tactical judgment is (in my experience) second to none amongst solicitors. He also has the ear of his clients, and can sell them the right strategic approach to a case, even if its cuts across their preconceptions’.
‘Very strong disputes boutique, but sensible and experienced’.
‘Very strong litigators! we really appreciate the team’s practical approach and professionalism’.
‘Boris Telyatnikov is a unique person that has amazing knowledge of Russian and non-Russian markets that makes him highly sensible not only for legal issues, but also for project management’.
‘Richard Levett is very professional, his communication skills were excellent and his knowledge of fraud cases relating to UK government agencies and international angles was impressive. He has defended and assisted clients who have been sought for interview by bodies like the SFO and NCA’.
‘Konrad Rodgers is a top quality litigator. He is tenacious, highly-intelligent and very hard-working. He combines strong strategic awareness with a willingness to get into the detail of matters. He is a pleasure to work with. His deep knowledge of the CIS market is a real strength’.
Mr Gennadiy Bogolyubov (2 matters)
The Libyan Investment Authority (2 matters)
Wirsol Energy Limited, Wircon UK Solar Assets GmbH and Wircon GmbH
Alstom Transport SA and Alstom Network UK Limited
Banco Internacional de Mocambique
Sheikh Walid Bin Ibrabim Al Ibrahim
Jack Linton, Gary Linton, Selina Egerton
Blockchain Optimization S.A. and Petrochemical Logistics Ltd
Rusnano group (including Fonds Rusnano Capital SA and Management Company Rusnano LLP)
- Acts for Wirsol in proceedings brought in the commercial court by Toucan Energy Limited in which Toucan Energy alleged that Wirsol had sold to Toucan a portfolio of defective solar farms.
- Acting for two entities that are part of the Rusnano group of companies, against a former employee (Mr Pavel Erochkine) in relation to investments made by him. The claims in the English High Court involve claims for fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- Successfully defended Ukrainian businessman, Gennadiy Bogolyubov, in USD400 million dollar 12 week remote trial in autumn 2020, brought by PJSC Tatneft, with Judgment given by Mrs Justice Moulder on 24 February 2021.
Combining civil and criminal expertise with investigations specialists, Fieldfisher is ‘highly experienced dealing with complex international fraud cases, and bringing to each a range of expertise and appropriate skills'. The firm is particularly active in Russia and CIS-related matters. Tony Lewis leads the practice and is ‘one of the most experienced civil fraud practitioners in the city. He knows how to handle the most difficult of clients'. A key name in his team is associate Nathan Capone, who is a ‘really dynamic, skilful litigator’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is able to apply its expert knowledge to real-life situations and offer practical solutions. It’s unique funding scheme where it effectively acts as its own third-party funder helps give clients affordable access to justice’.
‘Partner Tony Lewis has deep legal knowledge and yet is very approachable. He is able to come up with solutions for clients and see angles that other lawyers may not have even considered. He is a calm, reassuring presence who is clearly highly respected by his team’.
‘A highly flexible team of commercial, financial and fraud dispute resolution lawyers. The ability to scale up and down as needed. Strong experienced leadership’.
‘Tony Lewis – highly experienced and very good on strategy and application of resources. Respected by his team. Achieves excellent results quickly. Nathan Capone – a really dynamic, skilful litigator. Lots of energy. Lots of novel, good ideas, very well executed’.
‘The commercial and civil fraud teams at Fieldfisher have had some big litigation wins in recent times’.
‘Fieldfisher’s civil fraud practice is now one of the leading practices in the City. It is able to handle the most complex civil fraud litigation’.
‘Tony Lewis – one of the most experienced civil fraud practitioners in the City. He knows how to handle the most difficult of clients. Nathan Capone – a superstar in the making. He is able to lead effectively his team of associates’.
‘Highly experienced dealing with complex international fraud cases, and bringing to each a range of expertise and appropriate skills including an ability to transact and staff cases requiring multiple language skills’.
Mr Igor Kolomoisky (Privat Bank)
Mr Igor Kolomoisky (Tatneft)
Mrs Maria Foglia
Equix Diamonds DMCC
PwC (as liquidators of Goldtrail Travel Limited)
Joseph Benkel (acting as trustee in bankruptcy of Eliezer Fishman)
Penrich Capital Limited (in liquidation)
Mr Mohamad El Ghazzi
- Acting for Ukrainian businessman, Mr Igor Kolomoisky, the First Defendant, in respect of a US$2.6 billion claim and freezing order brought against him by PrivatBank, the largest commercial bank in Ukraine, formerly owned by our client and a business associate. The claim involves serious allegations of fraud against our client.
- Acting for the claimant, an Italian HNWI Maria Alessandra Foglia, who was the victim of a €15 million push payment fraud. We obtained one of the earliest ‘persons unknown’ freezing injunctions followed by a series of worldwide and proprietary freezing injunctions against a number of recipients of the monies preventing the defendants from dissipating the assets.
- Acting for the liquidators of Goldtrail. Having been successful in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal following various strands of appeal, we have secured multimillion pound recoveries into the liquidation estate (following strategic enforcement action, which included freezing monies held at a payment processing company for Onur Air), from a number of defendants in multiple jurisdictions.
The leading cross-border investigations practice of Kingsley Napley LLP provides in-house expertise in criminal law and media/reputation management, as well as experience in complex multijurisdictional disputes. Richard Foss leads the team and his specialisms include civil fraud, insolvency, contractual disputes, directors’ duties, professional negligence and injunctions, with particular strength in financial services and banking disputes. Another key name in the area is Sue Thackeray, who is a 'stand out individual with a very adept legal mind'.
Other key lawyers:
Mary Young; Sue Thackeray; Emily Grieg
‘They are a relatively small client focussed city firm. Their strength is being able to compete against the larger firms and more than hold their own. They act for individual clients and smaller corporates and provide a personal and intensive service that these clients would be unlikely to get from the larger city firms’.
‘Richard Foss is superb. Very hands on and client focussed. Always interested in the law which given his level of seniority is a rare find. Mary Young – recently made up partner – is an excellent strategist and manages to swing favourable settlements for her clients with effortless ease. Emily Grieg – young up and coming associate – one to watch’.
‘Tenacious, patient, efficient and hugely knowledgeable and ethically correct but yet very resourceful. Totally dedicated to achieving a result for the client whilst managing expectations and setting realistic objectives in case management. The team machinery runs like clockwork’.
‘Mary Young is a superb lawyer. She is very much “end game” focused and calibrates the need to be a tough litigator with that of being a superb conciliator and facilitator in reaching the overall objective impeccably. Everything she does and says is utterly professional, very considered, ethically unimpeachable and drawn from a deep well of legal expertise coupled with refreshing pragmatism’.
‘The Kingsley Napley team, and Sue Thackeray particularly, take a very commercial and practical approach to solving legal problems. Thackeray is a first rate negotiator with a commercial sense which is rare among lawyers. Sue has the ability to devise legal strategies which are practical and pragmatic and which puts the clients interests first’.
‘The team has some very bright lawyers and the quality of its legal analysis compares favourably with departments at competing firms. It also has a very deep understanding of this sphere of practice, the level of which which is not replicated at many other firms’.
‘Sue Thackeray is a stand out individual with a very adept legal mind. She is a real problem solver, who thinks outside the box, and is a valuable asset to any legal team’.
‘Kingsley Napley has excellent experience and insight into this area of litigation. They have top quality partners, and very hard-working, experienced and user-friendly associates’.
FMC Law Ltd (Formerly Findmyclaims.com Ltd)
Stephen Doran as liquidator of Trafalgar Multi Asset Trading Company
Surge Financial Ltd and Paul Careless
Goal Taxback Ltd
- Representing Goal Taxback Ltd to the Danish tax fraud claim which is listed by the Lawyer as one of its top 5 cases for 2021
- Advising Surge Financial Ltd and Paul Careless on claims relating to the collapsed company, London Capital and Finance PLC
- Acting for Stephen Doran as liquidator of Trafalgar Multi Asset Trading Company Limited, on a multi-jurisdictional multi million pound pension fraud, seeking to recover funds from fraudsters, recipients and third parties mixed up in the wrong doing.
Macfarlanes LLP is ‘well-known for civil fraud work, regularly representing sophisticated clients in some of their most challenging contentious situations‘. Notable for litigation funding expertise, the firm handles commercial, private wealth and banking fraud, with particular strength in Russia, Ukraine and the CIS matters. James Popperwell leads the practice and is a ‘wise and experienced practitioner and a great asset in complex cases‘. A key name in his team is senior counsel Chloë Edworthy, who specialises in cross-border litigation and arbitration, often relating to fraud.
Other key lawyers:
Chloë Edworthy; Nikolas Ireland; Joanna Constantis; Ed Llewelyn-Evans
‘Very careful and thorough work on the cases I have been instructed upon. Excellent document management platforms for the litigation. Very nice people to work with/for’.
‘Stand out partner is James Popperwell who has excellent judgment and a very clam reassuring manner. Chloe Edworthy is an excellent senior associate. She has shown great skills in drafting and care in the work she carried out. Ed Llewelyn-Evans likewise very good on the cases we have been working on together’.
‘My overall impression of the firm (the dispute section) is excellent. Cooperation within the team is good, they are all hard working and deliver superb quality work. Particularly strong in cross-border issues’.
‘Nikolas Ireland has excellent legal kills on complex matters and always fight hard for the client; Joanna Constantis is very competent and has a good eye also for the fine details which might be very important to the case’.
‘This a very well-coordinated and balanced team of professionals, who are passionate about their work. They are knowledgeable, experienced and efficient. Partners personally are involved in the case and very engaged, they pay a lot of attention to clients’ needs’.
‘James Popperwell is the partner with whom I deal. A wise and experienced practitioner and a great asset in complex cases’.
‘Their calm efficiency is a great asset to their clients and other lawyers working with them’.
‘Macfarlanes is well-known for Civil Fraud work, regularly representing sophisticated clients in some of their most challenging contentious situations’.
Michael Slobodin, Clern Holdings, Igor Cheremkin, Vladimir Kuznetsov, Alexander Kolychev, Maksim Mayorets, Irina Matveeva, Evgeny Olkhovik
British Bankers’ Association
Primekings Limited, Robin Fisher, Geoff Ziedler, Barry Stiefel
Better Capital LLP
- Represent Vitaly Orlov in a massive dispute involving warring Russian businessmen in the fishing industry – one of the biggest fraud cases in the market right now, and an extremely high profile case as it involves “strategic assets” of the Russian state.
- Represent Michael Slobodin, Clern Holdings, Igor Cheremkin, Vladimir Kuznetsov, Alexander Kolychev, Maksim Mayorets, Irina Matveeva, Evgeny Olkhovik and one entity in a huge dispute in the BVI courts over a $1 billion abortive joint venture in the Russian energy sector.
- Represent the Russian businessman Mr Orlov in his petition in Hong Kong for an order for his co-shareholder Magnus Roth to buy his stake in Three Towns Capital Limited, a holding company with assets relating to the fishing industry in Lithuania, West Africa and Western Europe.
The multidisciplinary Norton Rose Fulbright practice is known for the depth of arbitration and litigation expertise in the team, as well as its specialisms in cyber work, fintech and ICOs (initial coin offerings). The firm is ‘excellent on the detail of the case, the law and case management’ and is recommended for its ‘fine sense of the client’s commercial objectives‘. Michael Godden leads the department and can draw from a deep bench that includes corporate disputes specialist Ruth Cowley, banking litigation expert Harriet Jones-Fenleigh and associate James Lockwood, who focuses on civil fraud, asset-tracing and enforcement matters.
Other key lawyers:
Harriet Jones-Fenleigh; James Lockwood; Ruth Cowley; Radford Goodman
‘The team contains several giants in their field as well as star associates. Katie Stephen is at the top of the market for anything related to regulatory crime/investigations (including fraud); Dominic Stuttaford has supreme knowledge of tax law and is an invaluable resource in any fraud cases with a tax element; James Lockwood is an up and coming superstar, he is an associate to watch; Harriet Jones-Fenleigh is a delight to work with and 100% trustworthy’.
‘My experience of the NRF litigation teams shows how they bring their knowledge of specialist areas – in my case, banking – to bear on fraud claims’.
‘Fraud claims rarely exist in a vacuum and this ability to combine specialist expertise with the litigation strategy required in fraud cases marks out the NRF team I am currently working with Radford Goodman who has shown great sensitivity to the broader issues in play while providing his clear advice to the client’.
‘James Lockwood, Counsel, is class act, very responsive and gives practical and commercial advice; clients love him. Sure to be a star of the future’.
‘Ruth Cowley: she’s absolutely first-rate. A top quality mind, an excellent lawyer, a fearsome opponent, and one of the top fraud lawyers around’.
‘Harriet Jones-Fenleigh: a young partner, who is rightly rated as a superstar. Fearsomely clever, monstrously hardworking, and a delight to work with’.
‘James Lockwood: totally outstanding, and someone you want working on any fraud case you’ve got. He produces excellent documents, first-rate analysis and legal research, and has a capacity for hard work second to none’.
‘The team I have worked with have been excellent on the detail of the case, the law, and case management and have also had a fine sense of the client’s commercial objectives’.
Republic of Angola
Citibank N.A. and Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd
Orange Liberia, Inc.
Bank of Scotland plc, which is part of Lloyds Banking Group
Emirates NBD Bank
Peters & Peters Solicitors LLP acts in high-profile, international commercial court and chancery division litigation cases, including matters where freezing and disclosure orders have been obtained for claimants who have been victims of major fraud. The firm is also known for its expertise in multijurisdictional disputes. Practice head Jonathan Tickner is a ‘superb litigator, a great tactician and super-smart’. His team includes Keith Oliver, who focuses on international matters and is a 'master of generating and overseeing civil fraud cases; and Sarah Gabriel, who is ‘one of the very best fraud solicitors working in London at the moment’.
Other key lawyers:
Keith Oliver; Vlad Meerovich; Sarah Gabriel
‘We highly appreciate the cooperation with Sarah Gabriel, Senior Associate Vlad Meerovich and all the team of Peters & Peters Solicitors’.
‘A highly skilled small group of experts in their field of fraud and commercial litigation’.
‘Keith Oliver is a master of generating and overseeing civil fraud cases’.
‘Sarah Gabriel is one of the very best fraud solicitors working in London at the moment; she is incisive and wise’.
‘Jonathan Tickner is a superb litigator, a great tactician and super-smart. Very sympathetic and understanding, backed by good knowledge and practical experience. Good contacts’.
‘Keith Oliver and Vlad Meerovich were excellent, approachable and realistic’.
‘In my experience Peter & Peters are pre-eminent in this field. I have worked with them on several cases where their determination, innovation and precision of thought have been intrinsic to our success’.
‘Jonathan Tickner and Keith Oliver have stood out over many years – Easy to work with, very good minds, and focused on success’.
The Republic of Mozambique (acting through its Attorney General)
The Republic of Mozambique (acting through its Attorney General) (VTB/BCP claims)
Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and the NHS Business Services Authority
18 Claimants, including Andrew Cole, Robbie Savage and Danny Murphy
Fine Art Partners GMBH & Co KG (‘FAP’)
Mr Anthony Barness & 124 others – The “Ingenious Litigation”
Mr Artem Avetisyan
Ocean Holidays Limited v Ryan Collins, Claim no QB-2020-001073
Baglan Zhunus, First Defendant in proceedings brought by Kazakhstan Kagazy.
Large investment Firm based in the United Arab Emirates (the ‘Group’) and two senior individuals
- Act for the Republic of Mozambique (the Republic) in respect of proceedings which it has commenced in the Commercial Court against.
- Acting for the Claimants, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and the NHS Business Services Authority, who allege serious misconduct by a large multinational pharmaceutical group (Servier) in respect of the sale and supply of a blood pressure lowering “blockbuster drug”, perindopril, to the NHS.
- Act for Mr Tugushev in relation to his ownership of a one-third stake in an international fishing business which he co-founded with two of the defendants in the 1990s and which is now estimated to be worth some US $1.5 billion, referred to in the proceedings as the Norebo Group.
The broad practice of RPC is known as a ‘true force in international litigation’, with particular expertise in banking disputes with a fraud element and cases arising out of the CIS and Russia. In addition, the firm is increasingly active in Africa and the Middle East, a notable example being representing the Federal Government of Nigeria (FRN) in its claim against JP Morgan and involving the fraudulent and corrupt acquisition of an oil prospecting licence. Andrew McGregor leads the civil fraud team and is ‘totally unfazed by the twists and turns of oligarch litigation’. Also Notable is the newly promoted partner Dan Wyatt, who focuses on fraud disputes, often with a Russian-FSU element.
Other key lawyers:
Dan Wyatt; Sam Tate; Christopher Whitehouse
‘From a barrister’s perspective, the RPC fraud team is perfect. They have great experience and so are able to add insight on both the law and on tactics. They are hard-working and easy to get along with. They know when to push counsel to stress test an answer and when to take advice. And they know how to control their (often high profile and demanding) clients’.
‘Andy McGregor, the head of civil fraud, is superb. He’s been around the block and is totally unfazed by the twists and turns of oligarch litigation. He is really bright and he knows how to run a team and get things done’.
‘Dan Wyatt, a junior partner, is responsible for leading cases on a day to day basis. I’d say he is a great all-rounder: clever, insightful, hard-working and easy to get along with’.
‘Brainbox Chris Whitehouse will be a partner before long. He helps extract every drop of juice out of a case and is a joy to work with – despite working harder than Margaret Thatcher!’
‘RPC is capable of dealing with complex, fact heavy and large-scale global disputes. They easily navigate huge volumes of documents/materials and come up with creative and effective solutions/strategies. They pay great attention to details and always know their case from inside out’.
‘This team’s ability to operate at a consistently high level across several significant and high profile cases sets them apart from the rest – they are market-leading in every sense’.
‘The team is led extraordinarily well by Andy McGregor and it is his leadership that allows the team to operate so effectively whilst maintaining and continuing to build their profile in this area. I have no hesitation in recommending Andy and his team to clients safe in the knowledge that they will receive top tier service and advice’.
‘We have had very positive experiences working with Andy McGregor and Dan Wyatt at RPC. The stand out feature of their approach is that they are both capable of delivering proper strategic advice to clients and seeing it through’.
Federal Government of Nigeria
Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited
Bank St Petersburg
- Represents the FRN in its claim against JP Morgan (JPM), arising out of the bank’s role in the fraudulent and corrupt acquisition of an oil prospecting licence (OPL 245) by the oil majors Shell and Eni for the sum of $1.3 billion. This is one of the largest fraud cases going through the English courts.
- Act for Mr Deripaska and in a long-running, complex, and very hard-fought fraud-based dispute with a Mr Vladimir Chernukhin and Navigator Equities Limited that arose originally out of joint venture relating to a Russian textiles company.
- Acting for Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited, one of 17 defendants in a fraud claim brought by a Thai businessman (and his associated companies), in relation to the sale of the claimants’ majority interest in a Thai group of companies specialising in largescale wind energy projects.
The dispute resolution experts at Signature Litigation LLP have a particular focus on complex, cross-border civil fraud claims, as well as ‘great specialist insolvency and financial services knowledge'. Practice head Graham Huntley has expertise in fraud and ‘will not hesitate to go the extra mile to get the result for his client'. His team includes new arrival Paul Brehony, who joined from Stewarts Law LLP in 2020 and is a ‘highly accomplished insolvency litigator’. Simon Bushell left the firm to join Seladore Legal in 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Brehony; Julian Connerty
‘Very knowledgeable and commercial. Great specialist insolvency and financial services knowledge’.
‘Paul Brehony is a highly accomplished insolvency litigator. He is fantastic in highly complex insolvency cases where his knowledge and experience put him head and shoulders above others’.
‘The team is very well coordinated and able to work with large and complex matters. They are very efficient and effective’.
‘Signature is not afraid to look for solutions outside the box to get results for its clients. Every member of the team is valued and as a result they provide a much higher quality of service to their clients than their competitors’.
‘Graham Huntley is utterly dedicated; he will not hesitate to go the extra mile to get the result for his client’.
‘Experts in their specialist field. Nobody better’.
‘They provide brilliant client care coupled with very sound legal judgment. The amount of deep thought that goes into each piece of work is quite extraordinary – I don’t know quite where the headspace comes from to do this time and time again’.
‘Happy to recommend them, Signature has strength in tight deadline stressful litigation preparation when deadlines are imposed and sometimes work is required out of the hours on an urgent basis’.
Georgian Co Investment Fund
Privinvest Shipbuilding SAL (Holding)
Cellcom Telecommunications Ltd
- Acting for Georgian Co Investment Fund, owned by Bidzina Ivanishvili and immediate family. The Ivanishvili family are claiming against various entities in the Credit Suisse Group for losses arising out of the fraudulent handling and investment of family assets by employees of Credit Suisse AG (the Bank) and sister companies.
- Advised Privinvest companies and Mr Iskandar Safa in a high-value and hard-fought Commercial Court Claim brought by the Republic of Mozambique against Credit Suisse, Privinvest and others, linked to Privinvest’s supply of vessels and systems to enable Mozambique to assert sovereignty over and generate revenue from its offshore exclusive economic zone.
- Advised Cellcom Telecommunications Lt in litigation deriving from what is alleged to have been one of the largest ever recorded Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) cyber-attacks in 2016.
Combining strengths in litigation funding, financial crime and banking litigation, Stewarts Law LLP handles a range of civil fraud cases, as well as providing expertise in the criminal aspects, financial instruments and structures involved in fraud matters. Mo Bhaskaran advises major corporates, large public sector organisations and overseas governments on investigations, fraud and corruption issues. He co-leads the team with David Hughes, who focuses on assisting governments, sovereign wealth funds and institutional clients in complex fraud and recoveries cases. Paul Brehony left to join Signature Litigation LLP in 2020.
Mo Bhaskaran; David Hughes
Other key lawyers:
Sean Upson; Laura Jenkins; Marc Jones; Elaina Bailes
‘A first rate team who can deliver a top quality product to rival any firm. There is real strength across the whole firm from partner to paralegal’.
‘Sean Upson is a brilliant lawyer and the partner you want on your side. He is a great thinker, with lots of ideas of how to improve the client’s position. He also has excellent judgment’.
‘Laura Jenkins is deeply impressive. She is highly intelligent, very motivated at getting the right result for the client and is all over the detail’.
‘Absolutely first class. Not just the professionalism and dedication one would expect, but across the board in-depth knowledge and support vis-a-vis procedure and tactics, and very nice people to boot’.
‘This team at Stewarts has excellent strategic insight, excellent awareness of the issues in a case (including novel legal issues that have not been subject to extensive consideration by the Courts previously), good client management skills (including persuading clients to take advice), have solid legal analytical skills and are very hardworking. I think in all these respects Stewarts is a cut above most if not all other firms’.
‘The partners I have worked with (David Hughes, Marc Jones and Elaina Bailes) are all strategically brilliant, and showed particular skill in thinking through the real world consequences of all points and steps taken in the litigation’.
‘They stand out for their rapid grasp of difficult issues of foreign law even in highly complex cases, with a multitude of players’.
Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority (“RAKIA”)
Grant Thornton BVI – as liquidators of Stanford International Bank Ltd
58 institutional investors including the BT pension scheme
Lands Company Limited
The Travers Smith LLP disputes practice combines specialisms in corporate, finance and banking litigation, and is known as an ‘impressive team both for the quality of the individual lawyers - technically sound and with meticulous attention to detail - and the ability to deploy a large team whenever needed'. Practice head Rob Fell is an ‘incredibly experienced fraud litigator, and has a detailed knowledge of both the market and the law in this area'. His team includes Andrew King, whose expertise spans the commercial disputes space, notably matters involving allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, proprietary or restitutionary claims, and Toby Robinson, who handles a range of commercial disputes relating to allegations of fraud; they are co-leads in advising Hewlett Packard Enterprise in relation to the high profile and complex civil fraud dispute amounting to US$5bn, arising out of the US$11bn acquisition of Autonomy Corporation in late 2011.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew King; Toby Robinson; Huw Jenkin
‘What I value the most about the team is that they make you feel like they really care about you as their client and think carefully about your best interests. They engage as a team and work very closely together. Their work is exceptional and their solid advice is based on reliable analysis.
‘You always know who is working on your case and they are all visible and engaged. It is nothing like in some of the other firms where the most senior partner only turns up at the beginning of the relationship but leaves as soon as you have signed the engagement letter and you never see him again.
‘They never give you advice unless it is based on thorough analysis and careful thinking, where everything has been taken into account. They do not just tell you what they think you want to hear but offer their advice on how they think your position really is, and what options you have. They also outline the pros and cons of each of your options. That makes it easier for you, as a client, to make a decision based on the advice you are receiving’.
‘An impressive team both for the quality of the individual lawyers – technically sound and with meticulous attention to detail – and the ability to deploy a large team whenever needed’.
‘Huw Jenkin – hugely hardworking, consistently courteous, and reliable strategic instinct’.
‘Rob Fell is absolutely superb, and runs a team on a big case beautifully. He’s an incredibly experienced fraud litigator, and has a detailed knowledge of both the market and the law in this area’.
‘Travers’ civil fraud practice is extremely strong. They appear in the most complex cases in this area coming before the English Courts and their practice has grown from strength to strength. Their lawyers are phenomenally clever and they are a pleasure to work with, just the nicest people’.
‘Rob Fell is a first rate litigator. He has so much experience and a brilliant sense of strategy. His clients really value his advice which is always extremely sensible. He has bags of commercial sense. He communicates really well and is always on top of the detail’.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Scion Films (acting through Scion Financial Partners Limited)
- Represent Hewlett Packard in relation to fraud claims amounting to US$5 billion, with parallel criminal proceedings in the US, arising out of the US$11 billion acquisition of Autonomy Corporation plc in late 2011. Regularly described as the “tech trial of the century”, the case was one of the most significant pieces of litigation before the English courts in the last year and is the largest claim that has ever been brought against individuals in England.
Addleshaw Goddard specialises in cross-border fraud cases, particularly business fraud, where the firm utilises its expertise in white-collar crime. The practice has experience in financial services sector matter, notably AML and push payments fraud. In terms of innovation, the firm also provides clients with Everlaw’s advanced cloud-based document analysis, investigation and review software.
Other key lawyers:
Nick Ashcroft; Alex Hogarth; Polly Sprenger; Mark Molyneux
‘The Addleshaw experience was both welcoming and engaging, from the reception staff through to the partners. Professionalism is evident throughout the practice and they accommodated the individual needs of their client, without fuss or objection.’
‘The overall feeling was that of being in a safe set of hands who know very well their business and strategy.’
‘The Addleshaw team were highly attentive throughout, on hand and readily available to guide and explain various legal processes and procedures to their client and representatives.’
‘A stand out character was Alex Hogarth. A highly motivated and engaging person, always empathetic and reassuring. No task or request was outside of this professional’s reach or personal responsibility. An individual example of excellence for the practice!’
‘AG has an excellent civil fraud team. They are responsive and a pleasure to work with. They have a good commercial view of the case as well as a good legal grip on the case’.
‘Mark Molyneux is one of the finest litigators around – a real smart cookie, who understands what his client wants and how to get it’.
‘Key strengths are the criminal/civil cross over to help clients pursue the right strategy, and resourcing – they have a big team from which they can pull the right people when necessary’.
‘Polly Sprenger has really valuable experience of criminal/civil cross-over on fraud work, so whilst I work for her on the civil side she is always mindful of a joined up strategy, for example a private prosecution, where applicable. She is incredibly hard working and dedicated. She is responsive and turns around drafting impressively fast’.
Pendragon (Master) Fund Limited
Multiple UK Banks
Elaine Millar, Viscount of the Royal Court of Jersey
Bystronic Glass AG
Global chemical and ingredients distributor
Langston Group Corporation and Samir-Georges Hammam
Investigation and corporate intelligence agencies
Portuguese clothing manufacturer
- Acting for Unitel S.A., Angola’s largest telecommunications company in a GBP 300 million claim alleging fraud by Isabel dos Santos arising out of “Luanda Leaks” materials.
- Acting for Hassenfeld family, the family behind Hasbro Toys in a private prosecution against investment managers who defrauded USD 2 million of family funds.
- Advising multiple UK banks managing exposure to high-value Authorised Push Payment frauds and unauthorised fraud payments from “account take-over”, “impersonation” or rogue director frauds.
Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP is regarded as ‘one of the very best boutique litigation firms and a go-to firm for fraud disputes‘. The practice focuses on complex commercial fraud work, handling domestic and multijurisdictional matters for corporate and private clients. The ‘brilliant strategic thinker’ Philip Young is a key name in the area and specialises in banking and commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Philip Young; Lydia Danon; Rosie Wild; Jon Felce; Natalie Todd
‘This team knows its onions extremely well. They possess not only a great knowledge of the law, but also of the technicalities surrounding the use of the law. This gives their clients a huge advantage as the firm will always be looking a number of steps ahead, working out what the consequences of taking a particular path now might be in a year or two’s time’.
‘Best known initially for taking on the banking world, now firmly established in the Civil Fraud market, involved in some of the bigger cases before the Commercial Court’.
‘Philip Young is a bit of a legal “geek”, who is genuinely deeply interested in the law and has a great depth of knowledge of the areas in which he practises. Sometimes it seems as if neurons are flying out of his brain as he goes off on what appears to be a tangent, but which he ties back to the very core of the issues he is dealing with’.
‘Lydia Danon invokes trust in clients from the off. Takes no nonsense from opponents, from counsel or from clients, who love her style. Her plain speaking is a breath of fresh air. Clients know that they will get good straightforward and correct advice’.
‘Rosie Wild is a superb senior associate surely on the brink of partnership. Has hugely detailed knowledge of the issues in every piece of litigation she is involved in. Appears to be tireless, never too busy to deal with whatever is put before her’.
‘Massively supportive of counsel in every case, the importance of which cannot be overstated. Highly innovative thinking. They come up with well-thought through and novel approaches to tricky issues. Much more broad-ranging knowledge and skills than comparable firms’.
‘Philip Young is always looking for the unseen angle in a case. Brilliant strategic thinker. Lydia Danon – gutsy and straight talking. Exactly who a client wants next to them in a fight. Rosie Wild – willing to go the extra mile. The associate every partner wants with them on a case’.
‘Natalie Todd is known for strategic thinking and client-oriented’.
‘Jon Felce is proactive in offering innovative solutions to his clients when issues arise unexpectedly. Jon never has to be chased for a response and keeps his clients well informed of progress which is appreciated. We have complete trust and faith in Jon’s advice and his expertise, especially with regard to proceedings outside UK jurisdiction’.
‘Natalie Todd is a hard working, knowledgeable and client oriented practitioner’.
‘Jon Felce is very thoughtful and creative.’
Grove Park Properties
The ECU Group Plc
Mr Yoshiki Ohmura
- Acted for Grove Park Properties in the long running £22m claim against RBS in which the bank had, amongst other things, falsely accused GPP’s director of forging bank documents.
- Acts for VP Bank AG, VP Bank (Schweiz) AG, a Liechtenstein bank and its related Swiss bank, in a very high-profile dispute. The claimant is a Kuwaiti government entity, which is suing multiple individuals, including the former head of the claimant (Fahad Al-Rajaan), and financial institutions.
- Acting for ECU in relation to high-profile claims against several banks relating to alleged misconduct involving the misuse of confidential information about ECU’s FX orders, including trading to deliberately trigger ECU’s stop-loss FX orders and the improper sharing of confidential information.
Combining commercial litigation and white-collar defence specialists, the Dechert LLP fraud practice is best known for handling complex multijurisdictional. The firm can draw from strengths in commercial disputes and multinational investigations into fraud, bribery, corruption and money laundering to provide ‘real depth and expertise in this area and also has experience on the criminal side’. Dorothy Cory-Wright leads the team and advises on commercial litigation and contentious regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
Dick Frase; John Bedford; Daniel Natoff; Andrew Hearn
‘Andrew Hearn is one of the standout litigators in London. He has seen it and done it all. When a member of my family needed a solicitor for a major piece of fraud litigation for someone he represents, I sent him to Andrew Hearn. Excellent tactical judgment; good knowledge of the law; good understanding of his client’s business and needs. All in all, the perfect litigation solicitor’.
‘The Dechert team handles high stake dispute, and everyone works in a collaborative and supportive way. The partners look out for junior lawyers, and junior lawyers go extra miles to deliver the best work product’.
‘Daniel Natoff is a rising star! He has the trust and confidence of the clients, and gets things done in a seemingly effortless fashion! Dorothy Cory-Wright, tactically astute and very experienced. John Bedford – very forensic so very good at investigating possible irregularities. Dick Frase – excellent regulatory lawyer’.
‘Easy to work with, technically excellent, quality outfit’.
‘The firm has real depth and expertise in this area and is also has experience on the criminal side as well’.
‘One person worth following is John Bedford who has both a strong academic background as is full of common sense’.
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
Axle and Centigon
Hasim Bora Özerman and Fusun Gonen
Kevin Hellard and Amanda Wade (Tuke proceedings)
- Advising Dame Elizabeth Gloster in her capacity as the independent investigator appointed at the direction of Her Majesty’s Treasury in respect of the FCA’s regulation and supervision of London Capital & Finance plc which collapsed in January 2019, putting at risk approximately £230 million invested by over 11,000 retail investors.
- Represents a businessman active in the field of railway freight in a multi-year dispute with another Russian businessman related to the ownership of two valuable Russian companies.
- Represented the joint trustees in bankruptcy of the former owner and director of JD Classics, in various sets of proceedings brought against the bankrupt, including a £40 million fraud claim relating to the sale and purchase of numerous classic cars.
Providing 'huge expertise and experience across a broad range of skills needed for fraud claims’, Farrer & Co primarily focuses on international, multi-party matters involving freezing injunctions and asset tracing. Key strengths are cases involving the Caribbean and Channel Islands, the Middle East, South East Asia and Eastern Europe. The firm also has particular expertise in tackling substantial and highly complex financial services claims, utilising its ‘excellent collaboration with financial quantum and technical analysts, investigators and counsel'. Adrian Parkhouse leads the team and specialises in civil litigation.
Other key lawyers:
John Wilkinson; Toby Graham; Tom McPhail
‘The team are particularly client-centred in the way that they litigate – they develop a strategy that works for the client rather than simply running the case as they see fit and expecting to be paid for the privilege’.
‘The team has a first-rate understanding of the relevant legal principles, and vast experience in running litigation in this field’.
‘Huge expertise and experience across a broad range of skills needed for fraud claims, excellent collaboration with financial quantum and technical analysts, investigators and counsel’.
‘John Wilkinson gets to the core of the claim detail quickly and accurately, excellent strategist’.
‘The team is proactive, smart and practical without charging extortionate amounts’.
‘I have worked closely with John Wilkinson who is an excellent operator, collaborative and always sees the bigger picture in a dispute’.
‘Toby Graham is an outstanding partner and team leader with a relentless focus on the client’s needs and wishes. Tom McPhail is the best Associate I have ever worked with, bringing a forensic analytical ability which really lends itself to fraud work’.
UK Trust Company, its parent company and its Italian Ultimate Beneficial Owner
Holy Cross Sisters Trustees Incorporated (the “Sisters”)
RP Explorer Limited
Sir Owen Glenn KNZM ONZM and Kea Investments Limited
The Joint Administrators of the Estate of the late Vladimir Scherbakov (deceased)
Edgeworth Capital (Robert Tchenguiz and his interests)
Zorin Khan, Afaque Ahmed Khan and Sasheen Anwar
- Acting for Zorin Khan, Afaque Ahmed Khan and Sasheen Anwar in enforcing a decision of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (JCPC), which concerned the alleged misappropriation of assets from a family trust in the BVI.
- Advised Sir Owen and Kea in a hard-fought and successful c.£200m fraud claim against Eric Watson, Novatrust Limited and others relating to a joint venture.
- Defending Robert Tchenguiz against £multi-million claims from five spreadbet operators arising out of losses alleged to have been accrued as a result of the temporary Covid-induced market crash of March 2020.
Known for fraud and asset recovery work arising from Brazil, Gowling WLG’s expertise in the region continues to grow after the opening of its Sao Paulo office in 2020. The firm is also active in other state related anti-fraud matters, including instructions on behalf of an African state. Key areas of expertise cover financial services, anti-bribery and corruption, mortgage fraud, MTIC fraud, land banking, carbon credit trading, contentious trusts and insolvency. Practice head Andrew Witts focuses on fraud and international asset tracing, with particular strength in complex, multijurisdictional cases.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Smith; James Sidwell; Cat Naylor; Tom Cox
‘I have known Gowling and its predecessor, Wragge & Co, for all of my 34 years in practice. They have been my go to firm for anything of substance in this market. Practical, good, open and firm advice is what you can expect, without it being at the very top range of expense’.
‘I have known in excess of 50 of their partners very well, having “grown up” with many of them over the years. While they are very clever, they are also very human, approachable and lacking in arrogance’.
‘Andrew Smith has long been one of the best litigators I have known. He attracts really high quality work from high profile clients. He is up with the very best litigators anywhere in the country. His knowledge of the law, his tactical vision and his ability to engage the trust of these clients is second to none’.
‘James Sidwell is someone you definitely want on your side. Driven, bright, tenacious. Understands what clients want and goes and gets it for them’.
‘Cat Naylor has a superb ability to see the bigger picture, to know where to look and what to look for. Inspires huge respect and confidence not only in clients but in the counsel team that she engages;.
‘Tom Cox – senior associate – will move effortlessly on to being a partner and rightly so. Has huge energy, which has been amply demonstrated during the last year of lockdowns. Appears to be indefatigable. Handles clients extremely well, ensuring that they are sufficiently involved in all aspects that they need to be, while not bothering them with the minutiae’.
‘Key capacities: The lawyers are well prepared and capable to handle complex issues with responsive emails and objective discussions. Andrew Witts is always ready to assist with a deep knowledge of the case and thoughful suggestions. Global reach. Litigators with experience in complex cross boarder fraud investigations and civil litigation’.
‘Andrew Witts has great experience and is an excellent project leader. Over 25 years in experience in complex multi jurisdictions cases’.
Kevin Hellard and Matthew Richardson as liquidators of Durant, Kildare and MacDoel (Maluf)
The shareholders of HUB Residential Limited
Grant Thornton LLP (Mark McDonald and Hugh Dickson, liquidators of Stanford Bank)
CPC Group Limited, Chris Candy, Nick Candy and others
Stephen Hunt as Liquidator of Transworld Payment Solutions U.K. Limited
Mark Wilson and Alexander Kinninmonth of RSM Restructuring and Advisory LLP as joint liquidators of the Refined London Group
David Ingram Grant Thornton LLP as liquidator of Capital Alternatives Sales and Marketing Limited and Green Planet Investment Limited (Gibraltar)
Kevin Hellard and Mike Saville (Grant Thornton) as joint liquidators of Hellas Telecommunications (Luxembourg) II SCA
- Instructed by the liquidators of three BVI companies connected to Paulo Maluf to recover assets misappropriated by the former Mayor of Sao Paulo.
- Acting for Global Equities GmbH, a Germany company in claims by the Danish Tax Authority concerning tax reclaims that it alleges were obtained fraudulently.
- Advising Stephen Hunt in his capacity as liquidator of Transworld to pursue contribution claims related to the claims made in the liquidation by a number of companies who committed large scale MTIC fraud.
Keystone Law is recommended for its ability to provide ‘top class fraud expertise and more affordable rates for those who don't need a cast of thousands'. The firm has broad expertise within the team in the civil fraud space, with particular strength in sub-Saharan Africa matters. Another key advantage is the firm’s unique model, which has served it well in adapting to the challenges of covid-19. Robert Lawrie is prominent in the area and a ‘man to have on your side in a heavy duty fraud litigation’. Another notable name is Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs, who handles large commercial disputes and complex fraud cases, often with an international element.
Other key lawyers:
Robert Lawrie; Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs
‘Flexible, streamlined and very effective. Can get things done far more efficiently than bigger, traditionally structured, firms’.
‘Rob Lawrie uses his initiative and constantly moves things along to achieve results. He is very good with clients and easy to get in with but tough and streetwise when necessary’.
‘Robert Lawrie is a man to have on your side in a heavy duty fraud litigation – a redoubtable opponent’.
‘Keystone provides top class fraud expertise and a more affordable rates for those who don’t need a cast of thousands’.
‘Rob Lawrie is a charming practitioner who really knows his stuff. He is a first class negotiator with a very good tactical brain. He can identify the important points in any case and make it look effortless’.
‘Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs ensures he understands the clients position fully leaving no stone unturned. His no nonsense and frank approach enables a strategy that is well planned and focused to deliver results’.
‘I think the set up at Keystone is excellent. From the first call you receive when they want to instruct a barrister to the conclusion of the case they are faultless. I hope our relationship with them continues to grow’.
‘I have known Rob Lawrie for many years, he is always an absolute pleasure to deal with. The instructions he produces are always well put together, he is very fair when it comes to agreeing fees and never any problem with paying them either!’.
Indigo Global Partners Limited
Nest Investments (Holdings)
Woburn Homes / Maytham Larry
PSB Alpha AG
Orient Express Lines (now known as Straits Orient Lines) Singapore
- Acting for Indigo Global Partners Limited. The Claimant SKAT is the Danish Tax collecting authority (the Danish equivalent of HMRC). SKAT has commenced claims against 107 defendants in multiple jurisdictions. Five sets of claims have been commenced against multiple defendants in the UK.
- Robert Lawrie acts for Nest Investments (Holdings) in the largest fraud claim that has been pursued in the courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre (“DIFC”), and which has led to several reported decisions which have developed key aspects of DIFC law and procedure.
- Instructed by Orient Express Lines (now known as Straits Orient Lines) Singapore to proceed to court and obtained an injunction to freeze the account and informed the leading Bank in the UK that there was fraudster operating the account.
King & Spalding LLP has an ‘ability to execute multijurisdictional matters extremely efficiently’ and is active in high-stakes litigation representing large corporations. The firm handles fraud-related disputes before courts and arbitral tribunals for domestic and international clients. Experienced commercial litigator Sarah Walker co-leads the large team with Thomas Sprange QC, who handles a range of cross-border fraud cases.
Sarah Walker; Thomas Sprange QC
‘Real experts in the field with a global understanding of complex issues. Ability to execute multijurisdictional matters extremely efficiently. Approachable and experts at the same time’.
‘The London team is fairly small but has a wealth of experience and can call on their international colleagues especially in the US and the UAE when needed’.
‘Sarah Walker is a standout partner in the civil fraud space. She is technically excellent, extremely personable and is available to her clients. She is very popular with her colleagues and peers and leads by example’.
‘Enthusiasm to exert every effort to understand the importance of the case’.
‘They use every possible means of communication available to contact their client and try to find answers to a long list of questions in order to prepare their defense’.
‘Honestly, they’re unique with outstanding qualities. Their integrity and transparency in dealing with their clients’.
‘Sarah Walker listens and doesn’t dictate. Trustworthy and smart’.
The Government of Mongolia
Motorola Credit Corporation and Motorola Solutions
Libyan Investment Authority
Global Jet Capital
- Acting for the Mongolian Government in ongoing litigation against (i) Sukhbaatar Batbold, the former prime minister of Mongolia, and (ii) various of his proxies, in relation to wrongdoing committed with respect to two of Mongolia’s most strategic and valuable mining assets: the Erdenet and Oyu Tolgoi mines.
- Acting for Libyan Investment Authority, through Dr Hussein Mohamed Hussein Abdlmora (“Dr Hussein”) in a matter centring on a dispute as to who should have the control over Libya’s USD 67 billion sovereign wealth fund (the Libyan Investment Authority) as its Chairman.
- Acting as global counsel for Deutsche Bank in the context of various class and direct-action litigation matters that are proceeding in the Southern District of New York (“SDNY”), the UK High Court (Commercial Court), Canada and Israel concerning previous criminal and regulatory investigations into alleged manipulation of the global foreign exchange (“FX”) market.
Specialising in complex international fraud and asset tracing disputes, Osborne Clarke LLP is recommended for its ability to ‘effectively work in cases with cross-border aspects and fully understand the legal issues and/or proceedings in other jurisdictions’. The firm has particular experience in cases arising from Russia and the CIS, as well as matters related to Bribery Act investigations and corruption. Another core strength for the practice is work in the digital business and financial services arena. Andrew Bartlett leads the team and is a ‘top-tier, knowledgeable and efficient colleague, always capable of identifying and recommending the best possible course of action’.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Bartlett; Nick Price; Charles Crowne; Jonty Langham
‘Andrew Bartlett is very effective – real attention to detail. Very strong on legal analysis and standing back and looking at case from every dimension’.
‘The team has very good strength in depth from Tom Ellis at the top down to Nick Price and Charles Crowne in the middle and Jonty Langham as more junior. The client can be sure of having a good quality service at the right price where work is properly delegated.’
‘Tom Ellis – very smooth and assured giving confidence to clients. Jonty Langham – excellent attention to detail and willingness to put in the required hard work on difficult cases’.
‘From my experience, the main strength of the team is that they can effectively work in cases with cross-border aspects and fully understand the legal issues and/or proceedings in other jurisdictions.’
‘Andrew Bartlett, a top-tier, knowledgable and efficient colleague, always capable of identifying and recommending the best possible course of action.’
‘The team is extremely knowledgeable in this field. The team also has very good Barristers when these services are required’.
‘The individuals possess excellent soft skills which helps when the client is based in South Africa. They also communicate very well with the client’.
‘Andrew Bartlett has exceptionally incisive and assiduous legal nous, able to cut through the commercial bumph to get to the heart of the legal issues and give refreshingly practical legal advice and achieve aims’.
AITAS Group (Kazakhstan)
BB Energy group
Northampton Borough Council
PricewaterhouseCoopers Channel Islands
Promsvyaz Capital B.V. and others
Western Power Distribution
- Acting for Renato Ghittini, one of the defendants in the USD 847m High Court claims by the Kuwaiti Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS)
- Acting for the oil trading business, BB Energy, in its $120m Commercial Court conspiracy claims against the directors of the insolvent SAMIR oil refinery in Morocco, following its collapse in 2015.
- Advising PwC on two high-value audit negligence claims, issued in the Guernsey courts, following a large fraud committed by the management of a Guernsey fund.
Combining civil and criminal fraud expertise, Slaughter and May represents global corporates, financial institutions and governments on disputes with a fraud component. The firm is 'incredibly experienced at civil fraud work - both investigations and litigation (the latter, on both sides, claimant and defendant)’. A key specialism for the group is complex and cross-border work, with one client noting that ‘for the most difficult and sensitive cases - with the very most at stake - they are the first port of call for the biggest corporates'. Richard Swallow leads the team that includes experienced fraud practitioners Jonathan Cotton and Efstathios Michael.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Cotton; Efstathios Michael; Megan Sandler
‘Incredibly experienced at civil fraud work – both investigations and litigation (the latter, on both sides, claimant and defendant)’.
‘For the most difficult/sensitive cases – with the very most at stake – they are the first port of call for the biggest corporates’.
‘They are fantastically (and uniformly) smart, hard-working, engaging and wonderful lawyers. I would highly recommend them’.
‘Jonathan (Jonny) Cotton is hugely knowledgeable in fraud matters. An absolute star. And a very safe pair of hands’.
‘Efstathios Michael has incredible attention to detail and is hugely smart. One of the very best’.
‘Megan Sandler is a senior associate, but she is partner material through and through. A total star in the making’.
Credit Suisse AG, Credit Suisse International and Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited
Former director of Patisserie Valerie
Mercuria Energy Trading Europe Limited
- Acting for Credit Suisse in multiple claims arising from US$2 billion “tuna bond scandal”
- Advising former director of Patisserie Valerie in connection with claims in relation to the very significant accounting fraud in the company which ultimately led to its insolvency
- Advising Mercuria Energy Europe Trading in claims brought against it and its co-defendant, the Royal Bank of Scotland, arising out of missing trader VAT in the carbon emissions market (“carousel fraud”).
The Taylor Wessing LLP civil fraud and asset tracing practice is combined with general investigatory and multijurisdictional business crime expertise within the firm. Key specialisms include financial services and FX investigations, sanctions and anti-bribery compliance, and global corruption investigations (particularly those related to Russia and central Asian states). The team also runs corporate crime and fraud training sessions aimed at in-house counsel, compliance officers and senior executives. David De Ferrars leads the team and advises on commercial litigation, corporate investigations, fraud, asset tracing, corruption and white-collar matters.
David de Ferrars
‘David de Ferrars is hugely experienced in civil fraud matters and a pleasure to work with.’
Brambles Holdings (UK) Limited
Joint Official Liquidators (“JOLs”) of Saad Investment Company Limited (In Liquidation)
- Acts for Pi Consulting, the independent trustees appointed by the Pensions Regulator and a cross-firm team is acting on the insolvency, litigation and asset tracing that is ongoing. The fraud is complex and the TW team has been tracing assets around the world.
- Act for an international logistics company in a claim against former employees and former contractors variously for breaches of fiduciary duties, dishonest assistance, and unlawful means conspiracy.
- Act for Mr Khadzhi-Murat Derev, a Russian businessman currently resident in England. Mr Derev’s Russian trustee in bankruptcy has sought recognition of the Russian bankruptcy and wide-ranging relief from the English courts, much of which is disputed and unprecedented in the context of the Cross Border Insolvency Regulations 2006 (“CBIR”).
White & Case LLP has expertise in high-value civil fraud disputes, acting for claimants and defendants in multijurisdictional matters. The practice is experienced in bringing and defending applications for interim relief, including freezing orders, orders relating to asset recovery and disclosure, and court orders in support of arbitration. The firm can draw from strengths in commercial and banking litigation, international arbitration, financial crime, investigations and contentious regulatory work, to advise a roster of clients that includes states, financial institutions, companies and individuals. John Rogerson leads the team, acting in a range of cross-border fraud related disputes, representing global financial institutions, funds and corporates.
The Russian Federation
PT Ventures SGPS
Salamanca Capital Limited
System Capital Management
- Advised VTB Capital plc on the long-running, complex, multi-jurisdictional EUR1.2 billion fraud dispute arising from the sale of Vivacom, Bulgaria’s largest telecoms group.
- Advised PTV, on a US$1 billion complex, multi-fronted dispute between PTV and its three co- shareholders in Unitel, which involved allegations of fraud across no fewer than five jurisdictions.
- Advised Deutsche Bank in relation to investigations by multiple regulators (in the UK and the US) arising from suspicious trading on Deutsche Bank’s Moscow Equities desk, which resulted in substantial penalties.
Akin Gump LLP is recommended as ‘excellent to work with and brilliant in asset recovery and commercial fraud litigation‘. Specialising in conducting high-value complex cross-border litigation and arbitration, the practice focuses on disputes involving fraud, misconduct and breach of fiduciary duty. The team has expertise in obtaining and defending mandatory and prohibitive injunctions, international and domestic freezing injunctions and anti-suit proceedings, with particular strength in Russia/CIS, energy and financial sector matters. Practice head Kambiz Larizadeh ‘has built an excellent reputation for civil fraud‘, while the experienced Richard Hornshaw leads the London disputes team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Justin Williams makes excellent strategic decisions on the direction of the case. Everyone in the team (from different offices) works collaboratively with each other and supports each other. It’s a pure pleasure working with the Akin Gump!’
‘Particularly strong in high value Russian litigation, typically with a fraud element’.
‘Kambiz Larizadeh is adept at dealing with difficult clients. Masters complex fact patterns with ease’.
‘A truly international law firm capable of taking on and effectively running the largest of commercial frauds and asset recovery cases’.
‘Breadth and depth of experience of Partners especially Kambiz Larizadeh. KL adopts a sensible attitude to what is achievable, keeps the client fully informed, does not impose impossible deadlines or make unrealistic promises of success to the clients’.
‘Excellent to work with and brilliant in asset recovery and commercial fraud litigation’.
‘I have been opposite Kambiz Larizadeh in 2 very large fraud disputes (one an international arbitration and the other a Commercial Court case). He is a clever lawyer, able to run large teams in big ticket litigation, and is sensible and courteous. He has built an excellent reputation for civil fraud’.
Deloitte as administrators of African Minerals Limited
- Acted in the Commercial Court litigation for PJSC Tatneft v Bogolyubov & Ors. This case has been one of the largest and most hotly fought pieces of Russia-related litigation of the last five years. Akin Gump acts for Tatneft, Russia’s fifth largest oil company, in $380 million English litigation proceedings against four Ukrainian oligarchs.
- Acting for the joint administrators of African Minerals Limited (AML). AML was an AIM-listed company that went into administration in 2015 with debts of approximately US$1 billion. The administration raised a number of high-value and complex issues, including, the proposal of a scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for Mr. Arash Nagdhi-Esfastani (ANE), the director and shareholder of a UAE oil and commodities trading company, NOC Swiss LLC, in High Court proceedings in England brought against ANE and NOC under a letter of indemnity and s. 423 Insolvency Act 1986 by Greek ship-owners arising out of a time charter.
The ‘diverse and talented team of experts’ at Bivonas Law LLP combines civil, criminal and regulatory experience to advise on a range of multijurisdictional fraud matters. The firm is ‘particularly unique in that they are very skilled in dealing with complex cases and issues, especially in relation to fraud matters in the Russian/CIS market’. John Bechelet leads the team and ‘provides a measured and technical approach to the law’.
Other key lawyers:
Sergey Litovchenko; Antony Brown; Cindy Dorrington
‘Their practice is particularly unique in that they are very skilled to deal with complex cases and issues, especially in relation to fraud matters in the Russian/CIS market, in which Bivonas is a well-known actor’.
‘They are very good in finding practical solutions to the clients’ problems and possess exceptional client care skills. Considering the high level of service that the firm delivers, I strongly recommend them for the Russian/CIS market and beyond’.
‘Having worked with Sergey Litovchenko on the resolution of complex company law and commercial issues, I was impressed by his distinctive practical understanding of this area. In addition to his extensive experience, Sergey has very good client care and team-work skills. His ability to find practical and strategic solutions to clients’ problems is particularly important for complex cases or issues. Sergey is a skilled litigator and brings great value to his clients’.
‘Boutique practice – involvement and interest from the partner involved, who has a clear insight into the case and is in a great position to discuss and make tactical decisions.’
‘Sergey Litovchenko understands the ins and outs of litigation with individuals from Russia and former CIS states. Clearly identifies strengths and weaknesses in the case and has a realistic view of (a) what the client wants and (b) what the client is likely to achieve’.
‘Sergey Litovchenko has outstanding professional and personal approach to very complicated matters.’
‘Antony Brown is uniquely Commerical in his approach to the law. John Bechelet provides a measured and technical approach to the law. Cindy Dorrington has a wealth of experience to bring to litigation’.
‘Lawyers within this practice has wonderful attention to details and paramount willingness to go extra mile in making sure their client is fully aware of all aspects and outcomes of the matter’.
Combining strengths in investigations, regulation and disputes, Clyde & Co LLP advises on a broad range of fraud issues, including matters related to the FCA, money laundering and professional liability. The firm has particular expertise in the commodities and natural resources sectors. The team, co-led by John Whittaker and Fergal Cathie, is ‘top quality and can be trusted to run high profile and high value commercial litigation'. It was also boosted in 2020 by the arrival of Rachel Cropper Mawer from DAC Beachcroft LLP, who brings strength in internal investigations into fraud, corruption and civil litigation and injunctions.
John Whittaker; Fergal Cathie
Other key lawyers:
Rachel Cropper-Mawer; Karen Elliot; Ben Parkin
‘Rachel Cropper-Mawer is tenacious, exceptionally hard working and excellent at client management and communication – she focuses on the things that really matter and getting the job done in the most effective way possible’.
‘From the perspective of a commercial silk, the Clyde & Co civil fraud litigation team are a pleasure to deal with’.
‘All of the lawyers are top quality and can be trusted to run high profile and high value commercial litigation’.
‘Without exception I have found the lawyers I have dealt with to be extremely bright, hard working and very tactically aware. They have made my job as Counsel so much easier, which has no doubt saved the client a lot of money’.
‘Whilst I hesitate to single out members of the litigation team I know at Clyde & Co, two people stand out for me. First, John Whittaker as the main partner in the department. He is incredibly experienced and comes with a great deal of well deserved gravitas. He has exceptional client skills and is a great communicator. Second, Sabina Cehajic who is one of the senior associates. Sabina is an up and coming star in the filed of commercial litigation and particularly in relation to civil fraud. Incredibly efficient and very hard working, she is also very personable and able to see the wood for the trees’.
‘The team at Clyde are our Team. We build relationships with them through work and outside of work and even via a remote basis in the past 12 months with fun online. Everyone enjoys their role and the feedback on our work is great. They accept our feedback and are approachable and therefore the quality of the service and work is exceptional at times’.
‘They embrace technology and have changed reporting over the past 12 months when we have highlighted what could or may be missing within their offering’.
‘Karen Elliot and Ben Parkin have displayed a fantastic level of knowledge and support over the past 12 months. They are different to others as they accept the way in which our company may work is different to others’.
Mr William Andrew Tinkler
Moorgate Industries (formerly of Stemcor)
- Advising Dechert LLP in a breach of duty claim regarding allegations of leaking sensitive documents to the press and the SFO, brought by Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation ENRC.
- Advising Mr Tinkler in a claim to set aside a judgment obtained by fraud in respect for the breach of director’s duties.
- Advising Stichting Vestia in a dispute against an investment bank in respect of financial products, involving allegations of bribery and also issues of capacity under Dutch law.
Covington & Burling LLP
Known for multijurisdictional disputes expertise, Covington & Burling LLP is an ‘extremely talented firm, with unique offerings in global investigations and asset recovery’. The department has particular strength in regulatory disputes arising from the financial services, life sciences, energy, media and technology sectors, as well as being able to call on an experienced white-collar crime practice. Ian Hargreaves leads the team and is an ‘outstanding litigator and one of the most able fraud practitioners in the city’. Another key name in the field is litigation and arbitration specialist Craig Pollack.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ian Hargreaves is an outstanding litigator and one of the most able fraud practitioners in the city by a long mile. With an impressive client list of high stakes cases he combines deep expertise and sound strategies to succeed’.
‘With Craig Pollack and Ian Hargreaves as central players in their international litigation team, the firm has immense experience and ability and are a pleasure to deal with even as opponents’.
‘The people I have worked with most closely in the team are Ian Hargreaves and Craig Pollack. They are leaders in this field, very good on tactics and get on brilliantly with clients’.
‘Covington Burling are an extremely talented firm, with unique offerings in global investigations and asset recovery. They are a very technical and agile law firm who offer very thorough and agile advice to their clients’.
‘Ian Hargreaves is a thought leader in the world of complex global investigations and asset recovery. He has credibility and a very good range of contacts which is required in cross border investigations. Ian has a great combination of sound judgment and experience. Ian has the skills to tackle highly complex issues and has a very talented team of associates’.
‘The team is very flexible and has quality in depth. Craig Pollack and Rosie Klement are exceptional’.
‘Ian Hargreaves is primary contact. Thoughtful, tremendous common sense, broad perspective, highly focused on the issues, while avoiding the destructive misanthropy that other, more aggressive, individuals might manifest’.
‘Covington is the firm to go for all litigation matters. Their fraud civil practice is outstanding’.
‘Covington have an excellent civil fraud team dealing with a wide range of complex international matters. The big difference in the market is between the firms that instruct counsel and push paper and those that have the experience and judgment to take a strategic approach and get the client to where they need to be. Covington fall firmly into the second category, smart litigators who push their clients’ interests’.
Dag Lars Cramér – senior executive in the Beny Steinmetz Group
Oleg Mkrtchan – Ukrainian HNW
Magnus Roth – Norwegian HNW
Vitaliy Machitski – Russian HNW – and owner of Vi Holdings
- Acted in the high profile Commercial Court case for Mr Mkrtchan and his related corporate entities. Following judgment being handed down, we successfully obtained a £20 million worldwide freezing order against Mr Sergei Taruta, in respect of unpaid costs orders.
- Represents Dag Cramér, a director of BSG Resources Limited, who is second defendant in proceedings relating to one of Africa’s biggest mining controversies. Our representation included responding to a worldwide freezing order of $1.85bn, with extensive asset tracing obligations.
- Represents Magnus Roth, one of three defendants in a claim by Alexander Tugushev for unlawful means conspiracy in the Commercial Court. Mr Tugushev has also made allegations of breaches of trust and knowing receipt against Mr Roth.
Devonshires Solicitors LLP has broad dispute resolution experience, with particular expertise in fraud, cross-border investigations, regulatory work and PFI disputes. The ‘very understanding team who have a great approach to their work’ is led by James Dunn, who specialises in fraud, regulatory and inquiry work.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have worked with a number of firms and the innovative thinking and problem resolution is by far the stand out for Devonshires’.
‘A very understanding team who have a great approach to their work. Also dealt with me with respect and efficiency’.
‘David Pack is a very thorough lawyer, very approachable and extremely knowledgeable and sharp’.
‘Knows the law very well and that gives me huge confidence’.
Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Advising the SRA on the intervention of Kingly Solicitors Limited to safeguard client funds of approximately £11.3m.
- Advising the SRA on the intervention of Malik Law Chambers and associated firms, including advising on an action for committal.
Civil fraud work is one of the pillars of the Edwin Coe LLP disputes practice, along with general commercial litigation and arbitration. The firm is also active in securities and consumer fraud claim, and is praised for its ‘exceptional competency, unconventional approach to complex problems, ability to understand and adapt to clients' needs and idiosyncrasies, fast turnover and feedback'. Ali Zaidi specialises in fraud-related cases, insolvency and reconstruction. He co-leads the team with David Greene, who handles a range of commercial litigation, including competition claims and claims on behalf of shareholders.
Ali Zaidi; David Greene
Other key lawyers:
Fred Sheppard; Zahira Hussain; Thomas Johnson
‘The features that make Edwin Coe stand out are exceptional competency, unconventional approach to complex problems, ability to understand and adapt to clients’ needs and idiosyncrasies, fast turnover and feedback’.
‘I have had a pleasure of working with David Greene (senior partner) and Fred Sheppard (associate). I was particularly impressed by their grasp of very complex issues involving international securities and their ability to deal with multi-jurisdictional problems that involved both continental and common law issues. Especially impressive was Mr. Greene’s in-depth analysis of litigation perspectives and Mr. Sheppard’s extraordinary research into the arcane issues of complex securities and related contractual and tort claims’.
‘Edwin Coe have one of the strongest civil fraud practices in the City, and do a lot of work for Russian and Middle-Eastern clients, with the result that they are at the heart of the Civil Fraud landscape’.
‘Never phased by the most serious allegations of fraud and corruption, the team at Edwin Coe keep a level head and adopt strategies which ensure their clients obtain the best representation possible’.
‘David Greene has decades of experience in civil fraud and has a stellar reputation which judges appreciate and opponents fear’.
‘Fred Sheppard is diligent and intellectually very savvy, with a practical and user-friendly approach to boot’.
‘The team at Edwin coe are extremely diverse and have have a broad range of knowledge and experience. I have found them incredibly adaptive during the covid 19 pandemic in comparison to other legal 500 firms and they very quickly upgraded there technology to do virtual meetings and so there was no disruption to service etc where as other firms I have used have had issues!’
‘Zahira Hussein is an exceptional lawyer who is has provided outstanding service always going above and beyond to provide outstanding client service and is incredibly dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for her client in the best possible timeframe’.
Fuller Smith & Turner PLC
Lincolnshire Co-operative Limited
MC Rental Limited
Somerset County Council
The Mayor & Commonalty & Citizens of the City of London
Cemex UK Cement Limited
BM Advisory LLP
Sir Alex Ferguson
Conran Holdings Limited
- Advising a group of 128 Claimants in relation to their claim for damages and interest against various truck manufacturers, following a finding by the European Commission of a price-fixing cartel. The Claimants comprise those who bought, leased or subcontracted trucks weighing six tonnes or more between 1997 and 2011.
- Representing the Claimants who invested in, and became members of the Eclipse Scheme. The Defendant developed, marketed and implemented the Eclipse Scheme which was sold to the Claimants as an opportunity to invest in transactions with Disney in relation to film rights. The transactions entered into by the Eclipse Partnerships with Disney were a fraud.
- Representing consumers arising from the misspelling of Spanish timeshares. The claim is valued in excess of £8million.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is a ‘full-service firm that can chase any fraud claim anywhere in the world’ and has an broad, experienced practice that ‘offers strength and reliability at all levels of seniority’. The department has a particular focus on the financial services arena, as well as acting in significant cross-border fraud disputes. The team is co-led by Neville Byford, who represents claimants and defendant in complex fraud matters; and Neville Gray, who is based in Birmingham and head of the firm’s West Midlands financial services disputes and investigations group.
Neville Byford; Neville Gray
Other key lawyers:
Richard Little; Tim Browning; Kimeya Baker; Adam Fisher; Ridah Iqbal; Sheena Buddhdev
‘They are a fantastic team that offers strength and reliability at all levels of seniority. This is combined with individuals who are remarkably reassuring and easy to work with’.
‘Richard Little has an almost psychic ability to determine the key concerns of a judge and how best to address them’.
‘Tim Browning is great to work with and is skilled at both focusing on the detail of a case as well as the bigger picture and broader strategy’.
‘Kimeya Baker is generally excellent and completely dependable’.
‘Fantastic fraud expertise’.
‘Neville Byford would be the first name on the team sheet of any top flight disputes resolution team. Neville is one of London’s most experienced fraud lawyers acting for claimants and defendants’.
‘A full service firm that can chase any fraud claim anywhere in the world, tempered by commercial realism’.
‘Adam Fisher is a cool headed, strategic thinker. Ridah Iqbal is efficient, hard working and great on detail’.
‘Sheena Buddhdev is remarkable! She is focused on getting the best outcome for the clients, and she achieves this by finding the best argument given the factual and expert evidence available’.
Malaysia’s Minister of Finance (Incorporated) and 1Malaysia Development Berhad
Iranian Offshore Engineering Company
Bemaco Steel Limited and Prime S.A.
Credit Suisse Trust
Barclay Pharmaceuticals Limited (a subsidiary of Celesio AG)
NATS Limited (National Air Traffic Services)
Known for ‘long experience in the civil fraud field and genuine specialisation in the area', Fladgate LLP operates ‘at the cross-over between civil and criminal fraud, not hesitating to take expert advice and get stuck into often high-profile litigation and arbitration’. The multidisciplinary practice has broad international experience and a particular specialism in insolvency related matters. Sophia Purkis leads the team and is regarded as ‘one of the great fraud litigators in the London market’.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Buckley; Tom Bolam; Cecilia Ricks
‘Medium size firm, but with in-house resources to address every aspect of the client’s needs. When an employment specialist is needed to deal with a point in a commercial dispute, they are only steps away’.
‘Long experience in the civil fraud field and genuine specialisation in the area’.
‘The team is extremely user-friendly and team-oriented. It operates on an excellent cooperative and collaborative approach and is very client-friendly and supportive. It also works well with counsel and practitioners at Fladgate always bring creative and helpful contributions to the table’.
‘Tom Bolam is excellent and a pleasure to work with. He is always on hand and has a great mind, bringing fresh insights and ideas to the table. New recruit Cecilia Ricks is very hands on and helpful’.
‘Fladgate have a strong criminal and civil fraud practice across a number of different area – despite their relatively modest size, the team appears in many of the highest profile cases’.
‘Sophia Purkis is one of the great fraud litigators in the London market – she has achieved many notable successes in relation to fraud allegations against solicitors and finance professionals and always combines an encyclopaedic knowledge of detail with a clear and imaginative strategic purpose’.
‘The team operates at the cross-over between civil and criminal fraud, not hesitating to take expert advice and get stuck into often high profile litigation and arbitration where it is in their clients’ best interests’.
‘They are developing real nose for quasi group action claims involving insolvency proceedings and, as cybercrime has taken off during the pandemic, they are tackling banks in relation to push payment frauds where disputes arise over reimbursement’.
- Represent Jean-Pierre Schenk in a complex matter involving obtaining evidence to support a claim from many different jurisdictions several years after the event.
- Represent Holy Group Limited and seven others in a c. USD 700 million claim for fraudulent misrepresentation and unlawful means conspiracy relating to the sale of a sports television broadcasting rights business.
The HFW civil fraud practice has a ‘wealth of litigation experience and draws upon a diverse and experienced range of partners and associates’. The firm provides a ‘top-drawer service for high value and complex matters, especially involving an international element', notably in Caribbean matters. Another key area of work is insolvency related fraud cases. Rick Brown leads the team and specialises in cross-border fraud and insolvency matters. He can call on the expertise of Noel Campbell, who is ‘one of the most experience litigators' in the fraud space.
Other key lawyers:
‘The HFW civil fraud team has a wealth of litigation experience and draws upon a diverse and experienced range of partners and associates. They provide, in my experience, a top-drawer service for high value and complex matters, especially involving an international element’.
‘Noel Campbell is one of the most experience litigators I have come across. He simply knows the right answer by instinct and has a wealth of tactical experience’.
‘Rick Brown is hugely effective with clients, meaning that he draws clients in and makes them want to stay. He also operates an efficient team, knowing the skills and strengths of its members, and allocating work accordingly’.
‘David Chalcraft has immeasurable work ethic and ability to balance competing demands on his time: he is the engine of the legal team.’
‘Victoria Tait is enthusiastic and personable, with a particular ability to pick up a case cold and be able to immediately contribute’.
‘I have been working alongside the HFW team for the past 8 years on a significant cross border asset recovery assignment. They excel at working closely with clients to co-ordinate a global asset recovery strategy and invest time building relationships with their clients making them a pleasure to work with on large and complex assignments which naturally have a duration of multiple years’.
‘Noel Campbell, who is now focussed on Hong Kong, Singapore and the South-East Asian market, is an industry expert having been involved in a extremely varied, significant and complex fraud disputes. His strategic analysis and straightforward advice are highlights’.
‘Rick Brown, is a standout leader of the UK team. Rick balances litigation strategy wit commercial considerations and focussing on the clients needs and desires. He is extremely personable which makes him a pleasure to work with’.
Grant Thornton UK LLP
IKON Finance Limited
A Swiss bank
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC
- Advising Quantuma Advisory Limited, the Joint Liquidators of various BVI and Isle of Man companies in relation to numerous proceedings in the Commercial Court, the BVI and the Isle of Man.
- Acting Grant Thornton UK LLP, for the Trustees of the insolvent Estate of Boris Berezovsky.
- Representing Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank in a very substantial claim against a number of key personnel in the NMC Group of companies.
The specialist disputes practice of LK Law LLP handles international fraud matters for high-net-worth individuals, government agencies, liquidators and other restructuring professionals, as well as international and domestic corporations. It is regarded as a ‘clear stand-out firm in its specialism of complex commercial litigation’. Andrew Ford leads the team and is an expert commercial litigator focused on large international disputes, fraud and asset tracing.
Other key lawyers:
Jeremy Scott; Chris Atkinson; Adam Flacks; Caroline Phipps
‘LK Law is a great firm of first class professionals. It is a clear stand-out firm in its specialism of complex commercial litigation. It combines all of the professionalism and quality of service of a magic circle firm, with the nimbleness and agility of approach of a boutique’.
‘Andrew Ford is a consummate professional. One of the nicest people you would ever hope to meet. He’s utterly charming, great with clients and judges alike. He understands what makes people tick and how best to persuade and motivate them, which is a phenomenally helpful attribute in a top tier litigator’.
‘Jeremy Scott is unfailingly courteous and gentlemanly. A real old-school detail-oriented lawyer, who has an enormous capacity for work, whilst always maintaining a firm eye on the big picture. It’s always an absolute pleasure working with him’.
‘Stand-out associates I Have worked with include Chris Atkinson and Adam Flacks, both of whom are great, hard working, with maturity and insights beyond their years’.
‘They are pragmatic litigators who know how to win cases, and seek to do that intelligently and in the most efficient way’.
‘Andrew Ford is hugely experienced and with a very good approach, both with clients and the other side, which inspires confidence. Caroline Phipps is very bright and works incredibly hard’.
Algosaibi Family & Group (“AHAB”)
Judah El Maleh
Elena Tsareva & 31 other Russian Individuals
Scully Royalty Investment Limited
- Instructed by Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Company (“AHAB”) for 12 years; this year – advising in without prejudice negotiations with one set of Defendants in the Cayman Islands proceedings; and preparing its proposal to the Saudi Arabian Court and its creditors pursuant to the novel Saudi Arabian Bankruptcy Law.
- Advising Joseph Seifert, the former chief financial officer of a company within the Essar Group, one of India’s biggest multinational conglomerates, in a claim brought by Arcelormittal USA LLC against our client and 9 other defendants.
- Advising Francesco Mombelli & Others in defending claims brought by a Kuwait government department against its former Director General who is accused of receiving secret commissions.
Well regarded for its international expertise, ONTIER LLP specialises in multijurisdictional commercial litigation, arbitration and insolvency across a range of financial and industry sectors. The firm’s fraud work derives from Africa, the Middle East, Russia and Latin America, as well as being active on domestic cases. A niche strength for the group is the growing area of fraud related to cryptocurrency and cyber-crime. Paul Ferguson has particular experience in cross-border disputes, including issues arising from the British Virgin Islands and the Cayman Islands. He co-leads the team with Oliver Cain, who handles complex international commercial litigation and arbitration, not least fraud matters.
Paul Ferguson; Oliver Cain
Craig Wright (aka Satoshi Nakamoto, the inventor of Bitcoin)
Advanced Control Systems (division of Indra Sistemas)
Compass Bank & Trust Corporation
Shanghai Shipyard Co Ltd
Brunswick Gold Limited
Emar Al-Bayadir For Development & Trading Limited
Grupo Mexico SAB de CV
Grupo Carso (Slim Group)
Brunswick Rail Limited
- Acting for Tulip Trading Limited against the developers of various Bitcoin blockchains in seeking to restore control over Bitcoin worth approximately £4 billion following a computer hack. The action will seek to prove that developers owe tortious and fiduciary duties to users of the blockchains as a result of the control they exercise over the blockchains.
- Acting for Grupo Mexico, one of the world’s largest mining company, in proceedings relating to the fraudulent restoration of a company valued in excess of $1.5bn (due to be heard in the Supreme Court in October 2021).
- Acting for a Saudi Arabian real estate investment company in pursuing claims in fraudulent misrepresentation arising out of a joint venture to invest in European real estate.
Reed Smith LLP
Acting for claimants and defendants, Reed Smith LLP handles a range of domestic and multijurisdictional fraud cases, asset tracing and freezing orders. Ben Summerfield is a key name in the team and is experienced in fraud litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Specialising in multijurisdictional fraud and asset tracing claim, Squire Patton Boggs handles a range of commercial and financial fraud investigations, including employee fraud. The practice has experience obtaining freezing injunctions, search and seizure orders, banker’s trust orders, delivery up orders and tracing claims. This is supplemented by expertise within the firm in white-collar fraud, banking investigations and Bribery Act work. Stephen Sampson is head of litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Webber; Gareth Timms
The small but experienced team of Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP focuses on international clients and has particular expertise in cases with a Russian and CIS element. The UK civil fraud and asset tracing practice also works closely with colleagues in the US in particular, on cases which require court resolution in the UK and US. Neil Dooley leads the team and represents clients on complex cross-border fraud claims, most notably with a Russian element.
Other key lawyers:
Ivan Gordienko; Alex Green
‘Unlike many firms, they work in small, efficient teams who are totally committed to the case’.
‘They all have great experience in both prosecuting and defending fraud claims, especially in the often murky context of Russian business dealings’.
‘Ivan Gordienko is a very assured and sophisticated litigator, who really commands the confidence of clients unfamiliar with English litigation’.
‘Alex Green is an outstandingly capable associate. He speaks fluent Russian and is brilliant at detective work, chasing down the critical factual details that make all the difference in court’.
National Trust Bank
AOS Holding AG
PJSC VTB Bank
- Representing National Bank Trust, in a protracted litigation focused on a $900 million fraudulent scheme run by its former executives, who hid the firm’s toxic debt by recycling money through sham loans to other investment vehicles they controlled
- Representing a Georgian businessman, Roman Pipia, in a civil fraud case, in which our client claims that through a series of transactions BG UK, the Defendant, orchestrated a wrongful sale of Rustavi Azot LLP , one of Georgia’s most successful companies which Mr Pippa beneficially owned, worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented AOS Holding AG in the case related to a $159 million investment in Grams, acryptocurrency, in one of the first cases in the UK courts related to cryptocurrency fraud.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP is known for litigation, investigations, corporate crime and compliance expertise, with experience in civil litigation, regulatory enforcement action and criminal prosecution related to fraud. The team has particular skills in the private equity, financial service, asset management and insurance sectors, acting for claimants and defendants in multijurisdictional fraud cases. Peter Burrell is head of the firm’s litigation and compliance, investigations and enforcement practice in London and is recommended as a ‘strategic genius who goes above and beyond to do the best for his clients‘.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Osborn-King; Andrew Turnbull; Dan Pront; Cristina Caggiano; Mike Thorne
‘Peter Burrell is a leader in his field. He is a strategic genius who goes above and beyond to do the best for his clients’.
‘Peter Burrell, Andrew Turnbull and Dan Pront make a fantastic team ensuring that every single aspect of a case is superbly managed. From the smallest detail in the documents to broad strategic overview, the team has it covered’.
‘Andrew Turnbull is the associate of dreams – an absolute powerhouse who leaves no stone unturned in getting the best results for clients. He works supremely well with counsel’.
‘Team with huge energy and drive allied to great tactical awareness, all harnessed on behalf of the client’.
‘Peter Burrell examines potential actions and tactical decisions from all angles, so that all possible outcomes and routes are explored. Combines that breadth of analysis with great judgment of what matters in the case’.
‘They are an outstanding alternative to the magic circle firms in London. US headquartered, they have built a very serious London team in this area in a short space of time by very astute lateral hire and rapid promotion. They have the capacity and skill sets to go toe-to-toe with the best and they never fail to impress’.
‘Peter Burrell is a remarkable litigator and leads his team from the front. He has a prodigious appetite for work displays first class judgement and draws heavily from the very talented team behind him’.
‘Very strong team that is always challenging your arguments and the cases by playing devil’s advocate and ensuring your case is rock solid’.
Man Group Plc
Man Asset Management (Ireland) Limited
Montlake QIAIF Platform ICAV
Nopporn Suppipat and Ors
- Secured a successful judgment for MontLake QIAIF Platform ICAV, an Irish investment fund, in proceedings it brought in the English High Court against Kidman Asset Management Limited, Mr Massimo Bochicchio, and Tiber Capital LLP (in administration).
- Act for Man Group Plc in the Public Institution for Social Security of Kuwait v Man Group Plc (and 37 other defendants). The case will be one of the largest disputes ever heard in the Commercial Court and was listed as one of The Lawyer’s ‘Top 20 Cases to Watch in 2020’.
- Acting for Nopporn Suppipat and three Hong Kong incorporated companies, in ongoing conspiracy proceedings against 17 defendants before the Commercial Court. The claim relates to allegations of a fraud perpetrated on the Claimants in connection with their majority stake in a holding company of a prominent energy company in Asia.
The international fraud practice of Withers LLP acts for high-net-worth individuals and corporate clients in matters ranging from art and cultural asset frauds, to complex multijurisdictional cases involving financial services. The firm’s global reach allows it to trace assets across the world, as well as act in multijurisdictional fraud disputes. Stephen Ross leads the team and is an ‘authoritative and highly experienced civil fraud lawyer’.
Other key lawyers:
Ruzin Dagli; Andrew Wass; Laura Mattar
‘Headed by Stephen Ross. An excellent team. A very thorough knowledge of disclosure techniques and the tools required for fraud litigation generally’.
‘Great team to work with. Very understanding. Excellent client skills. Excellent at managing all the arrangements for virtual trials and hearings’.
‘Stephen Ross is astonishingly calm under fire even when it is coming from all directions. Nothing phases him. He is also a superb lawyer and does not shrink from informing clients of the demerits of their case and well as the merits’.
‘The team manages clients’ concerns extremely well, ensuring that no more than is absolutely necessary enters the public domain. This influences the litigation strategy to be adopted but never at the expense of getting the best result (in overall financial, commercial and reputational terms) for the client’.
‘Andrew Wass is extremely incisive, tactically very astute and very charming. A delight to work with, appreciating the realities of what can be achieved in particular timescales and what cannot be. Results in a willingness to put oneself out as you know that Andrew would not be asking unless it was necessary’.
‘Laura Mattar, while still relatively junior, has what it takes to become a partner in the long run. Provides independent input of the very highest quality’.
‘Stephen Ross leads a fantastic team of exceptional civil fraud lawyers. The clients the practice attracts are accustomed to the highest levels of service and they always receive it’.
‘Stephen Ross is an authoritative and highly experienced civil fraud lawyer, a brilliant tactician and, to his opponents, a formidable figure. He is highly attuned to the intense demands of fraud litigation and the complex needs of his clients’.
Barrowfen Properties Limited
- Acting for Barrowfen Properties Limited in a derivative action against a former director and his legal representation in respect of various claims including forgery, conspiracy and professional negligence
- Instructed to advise TransferWise Ltd to defend against threatened proceedings. The Claimant was defrauded by way of an internet scam and claimed that the client, by failing to identify the impersonation, allegedly breached a Quincecare duty and was in knowing receipt of the fraudulently diverted payments.
- Act for Transworld Aviation, a company based in Dubai, which is a leading distributor, stockist and technical provider to the aviation industry in the Middle East, Africa and South East Asia, in relation to the sale and purchase of a helicopter.
The Browne Jacobson LLP counter fraud and asset recovery practice 'excels on insolvency/fraud cross-over issues', but also has experience advising on a range of commercial fraud, civil fraud and asset recovery issues across jurisdictions and sectors. John Adams focuses on cross-border insolvency and disputes, and is ‘able to take a long view of difficult contentious and non-contentious matters’. He co-leads the team with Birmingham-based Paul Wainwright, who specialises in asset protection through counter fraud strategy.
John Adams; Paul Wainwright
‘Strong partner engagement at all times, meaning that the firm is able to respond speedily and effectively to unexpected developments’
‘John Adams is a calm and clear thinker, who is able to take a long view of difficult contentious and non-contentious matters.’
‘Excels on insolvency/fraud cross-over issues’.
‘I have worked with Browne Jacobson for several years now on one of the most complex cases my firm has ever handled. They have been fantastic-they have shown unwavering dedication to the case, to the point that I often feel (probably to their chagrin) as if we are their only client and/or they are a part of our firm, so seamless is the transition of work product back and forth’.
‘John Adams has been my principal contact at the firm, he is fiercely intelligent, hard working and a fantastic advocate’.
‘Once we flagged two claims as potentially fraudulent they acted quickly, securing intel and enabling us to fight the case. Convictions have also been pursued via private prosecution’.
The Trustee of the substantially consolidated SIPA liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and Bernard Madoff
Duff & Phelps Ltd
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Medical Protection Society
- Advising Irving Picard – the US Trustee of the consolidated SIPA liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff and Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC. in relation to various global recover actions including the provision of ongoing advice to the Trustee in relation to his U.S. proceedings and obtaining evidence from witnesses located in England via depositions.
- Acting for Duff & Phelps Ltd in bankruptcy of Michael John Stanley and the liquidators of the bankrupt’s four companies to recover substantial assets including bitcoin, silver bullion, cash, UK and Spanish properties and 23 racehorses.
- Advising an investment company on the investigation and strategy for the recovery of substantial funds misappropriated by a payment services provider including obtaining a Norwich Pharmacal Order.
Cooley (UK) LLP provides fraud assistance covering corruption, investigations and asset recovery, representing clients from the public and private sectors. The practice handles advisory and litigation support in a range of civil recovery and criminal proceedings, as well as being known for assisting sovereign states in the investigation of corruption and recovery of lost assets. James Maton leads the team and specialises in fraud and asset recovery cases.
Other key lawyers:
Laurence Harris; Mark Everiss
‘The Cooley team has unique experience in the areas of corruption-related civil asset recovery.’
‘Top-notch experts in the area of civil fraud and asset recovery – they bring to bear years of experience representing governments and government-owned enterprises in successful recovery cases.’
Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria
Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands
The Mediterranean Insurance & Reinsurance Company Limited (in Administration)
- Represents the Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands in numerous ongoing civil recovery cases and has done for a number of years. Ongoing matters include a long running dispute involving the transfer of over 1,000 acres of undeveloped land on one of the Islands to a development company in breach of fiduciary duty by the then Ministers involved.
Dorsey & Whitney
Known for complex international cases, Dorsey & Whitney’s fraud litigation team is able to leverage the firm’s broad corporate expertise, as well as its international network in the US and Asian. The practice is also strong in the area of eDiscovery work. Tim Maloney leads the group and specialises in litigation, including civil fraud issues.
Watchstone Group PLC
Otello Corporation ASA
Traffic Monsoon, LLC (in receivership)
- Acted for Watchstone against the Big 4 firm of accountants PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (“PwC”). The claim arises from the fraudulent conspiracy and breach of warranty claim Slater & Gordon UK (1) LLP (“S&G”) v. Watchstone.
- Acting for Otello Corporation ASA in a shareholder dispute with a US based majority shareholder in connection with the majority shareholder’s refusal to approve a sale of the Claimant’s minority stake to a third party, including pleaded allegations of bad faith against the majority shareholder.
- Acting for Traffic Monsoon, LLC (in receivership), the Court Appointed receivers of a Utah incorporated company in the English part of a worldwide enforcement action.
The full-service fraud practice of DWF covers the key areas of forensic accounting, analysis of assets and regulatory advice, as well as litigation. The firm also utilises its international presence to assist with multijurisdictional fraud case. Richard Twomey leads the team and has experience recovering assets and defending allegations of fraud.
Other key lawyers:
Tarik Sharif; Joshua Fineman
‘All I can say is that their work has been utterly outstanding’.
‘Richard Twomey is incredibly hard-working, conscientious and entirely driven to get the best result for his clients’.
‘The team comprises of a very strong group, with each individual bringing something important and unique to the table. In general, the firm has a strong infrastructure team able to operate across a full range of work from cross-border litigation to financial and legal analysis of tracing claims’.
‘The team is very responsive, detail orientated and can tactfully manage complicated and multijurisdictional cases’.
‘The team has incorporated efficient ways of communicating and collaborating during the Covid-19 pandemic through the use of platforms whereby we can share documents and hold conference calls’.
‘Richard Twomey (partner) and Tarik Sharif (associate) are hard-working, detail orientated, technical and knowledgeable and they are always providing sound and considered advice to the client’.
‘We have primarily dealt with Joshua Fineman and Richard Twomey. We have been very satisfied with our cooperation with both of them, whom I regard as very professional and pleasant to cooperate with. They are both able to handle very complex legal issues in an efficient and highly qualified manner. I think they are both among the best within their area of expertise’.
The DWF Defendants in the SKAT Litigation
Ukrainian Deposit Guarantee Fund
The ‘extremely good lawyers and superb tacticians’ of Fox Williams LLP are known for acting for individuals and directors of organisations accused of fraud. Representing domestic and international claimants and defendants, the firm has particular expertise in securities litigation, interim relief, cross border fraud, asset tracing claims and frauds involving commodities and financial instruments. The team is co-led by experienced fraud practitioners Gavin Foggo and David Butler.
Gavin Foggo; David Butler
Other key lawyers:
Tom Constance; Rebecca Richardson; Evie Meleagros
‘The Fox Williams team have real expertise in civil fraud. They provide just the right form of support for litigation, with partners having strategic input and assistance/associate solicitors managing matters under their supervision’.
‘Gavin Foggo and Tom Constance are both highly experienced, reliable and trustworthy partners who you would want to have in charge of your litigation’.
‘They are both extremely good lawyers and superb tacticians who can be trusted to give you the right advice as to whether to fight or settle a case’.
‘Rebecca Richardson and Evie Meleagros are both excellent and capable of managing day-to-day litigation on their own’.
‘Gavin Foggo is an excellent partner, with a good tactical sense and a great client manner’.
‘A relatively small team that is highly effective and thinks outside of the box to outmanoeuvre ostensibly bigger and more established players in the civil fraud market’.
‘Very impressive in correspondence, across a number of hearings, overall strategy and tactics in a many-year case, managing client expectations and giving clear advice as to risks’.
‘Strong understanding of what levers were available as a matter of law and procedure in this jurisdiction and a number of others, and great insight and instinct when dealing with heavy and complex factual issues’.
Hertz Europe Ltd
Global Risk Partners Limited
Pamplona Strategic Investments Limited
MS Amlin Plc
IFG Group Plc
Balderton Capital LLP
Meem Memory Limited/Mr Kelly Sumner/ Mr Robert Brent/ Mr David Knox
Euro Pacific Card Services Limited
Various consumer claimants and fleet owners of Mercedes diesel vehicles.
- Represented Melanie Chen in her defence of a €65m claim brought against her by Dutch-based international oil company KMG International NV. The claim concerned alleged intentional breaches of Dutch tort law and dishonesty in respect of the transfer of a German automotive parts manufacturing company.
- Represent Salem Mounzer, one of 10 defendants accused of fraudulent conspiracy, dishonest assistance and knowing receipt in Commercial Court proceedings brought by Arcadia Petroleum Limited and others for losses in excess of US$340 million. A worldwide freezing order was obtained against the defendants.
- Represent the Kuwait Investment Office in proceedings it has commenced against three former senior employees in which it makes allegations of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against them and seeks to recover significant sums it alleges were paid to senior employees (including the three defendants) as unauthorised bonuses.
Gateley Plc's complex and international dispute resolution team is led by dispute resolution head Richard Healey, who is described as 'a titan in the crime/fraud civil litigation arena.' The 'knowledgeable strategic and friendly' team has strong relationships with a range of major accounting firms and insolvency professionals, and is regularly instructed by liquidators to investigate insolvency related fraud, with a growing focus on work in Russia and former Soviet states.
Other key lawyers:
Alex Thompson; Emily Drake
‘The team has a wide experience, a global reach and demonstrates the ability to understand complex multijurisdictional problems and comes up with innovative solutions which help recover assets from fraudsters and wrong doers. One of our go-to firms.’
‘The team have built very strong credentials in the Russia/CIS market, having recently undertaken some high profile assignments in Ukraine and Russia. This adds to their significant experience in the civil fraud area, making them standout performers in this practice area. The team strike to perfect balance of being knowledgeable, strategic, friendly and are a pleasure to work with.’
‘Truly exceptional in civil fraud matters – how claims might be substantiated and innovative regarding potential avenues through which incremental claims might be brought. Teams deployed are exactly the right people for the job – they bring experience of jurisdictions; industries, language and technical capabilities. It’s not just a case of who might be available on the bench.’
‘Richard Healey is hugely experienced and knowledgeable. Alex Thompson is very detailed, on top of everything and has excellent awareness of tactical issues.’
‘Richard Healey is a enormously experienced and highly personable partner with particular focus on the insolvency field. Definitely a go to lawyer for massive fraud litigation. Alex Thompson is an incredibly hard-working and thorough senior lawyer who will go far.’
‘Richard Healey is a titan in the crime/fraud civil litigation arena – you would always want him on your team. His thoughtful, measured approach is coupled with a vigorous tenacity which always gets results.’
‘Richard Healey is an expert in his field and his advice is sought after and highly regarded. Richard leads a team of thorough, diligent and personable lawyers who have strong credentials in the civil fraud practice area. Notable mention to Emily Drake and Alex Thompson who are standout legal directors and are future leaders of the Gateley litigation team.’
‘Richard Healey is commercially innovative; he has a ruthless focus on achieving a positive end outcome, is reassuring to clients, and takes any setbacks in his stride. Alex Thompson – a pleasure to work with, collaborative, responsive and a meticulous approach to bolstering evidence.’
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Deposit Guarantee Fund of Ukraine
Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP
Ernst & Young LLP
CVR Global LLP
RSM Restructuring Advisory LLP
FRP Advisory LLP
Known for multijurisdictional fraud and asset recovery cases, Mayer Brown International LLP acts for claimant and defendant from a range of sectors, including financial services, retail, energy, natural resources, life sciences and healthcare. The firm’s experience ranges from fraudulent misrepresentation, investigations, breach of trust and ponzi scheme busting, to asset tracing, recovery and seeking remedies. Practice head Alistair Graham has particular strength in white-collar work, advising corporate entities and private individuals.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Fiddy; Susan Rosser; Miles Robinson; Mark Stefanini; Ian McDonald
‘Very well resourced and professional outfit, doing top quality work. Well organised and efficient and hard working’.
‘Alistair Graham – top of the tree in terms of civil fraud/commercial partners. So experienced, with the ability to cut straight to the issue and focus on what really matters. Absolutely focused on the client’s interests at all times – never loses sight of those. Also great fun to work with’.
‘Mayer Brown’s litigation team is able to handle all aspects of civil fraud bringing their knowledge of specialist areas – whether insolvency, financial services, banking or more general commercial transactions – and global reach to bear in pursuing fraudsters around the world’.
‘I would pick out: (i) Mark Stefanini who is a down to earth but fierce litigator. (ii) Miles Robinson who brings vast knowledge across specialist areas combined with years of experience. (iii) Ian McDonald who is not afraid to get into the detail of a case but also provides excellent strategic overview’.
‘The MB team has the the breadth and quality of service needed to handle big ticket international work but still manages to blend this with a personalised touch. The level of partner engagement is first rate’.
‘The MB team has also impressed in showing innovation and flexibility in its approach to securing funding on complex litigation in an insolvent estate. The have first rate market knowledge in this area and added significant value to securing funding for a major piece of litigation’.
‘Susan Rosser is an excellent operator. I have been very impressed with her technical skill but also her ability to manage the multiple threads of a very complex piece of litigation. She has led from the front on funding, client management and instruction of counsel. She is very easy to work with even in the most demanding circumstances and hugely popular amongst all of our team including the more junior members. It always feels like she is striking the right balance between pushing hard when necessary whilst balancing the dynamics of multiple stakeholders’.
‘Michael Fiddy is clearly at the top of his game in the insolvency space. He is superbly connected. Clients listen when he talks. He also has an impressive ability to resolve conflict in difficult situations by finding solutions that work for everybody with his strategic thinking’.
Principal Global Investors
- Acted for listed client eOne to support an internal investigation into allegations of fraud arising out of currency trading, then instructed to act on the subsequent multi-million pound fraud claim in the High Court, which includes allegations of bribery, dishonesty, deceit, conspiracy and corruption. The value of the claim was in excess of £18 million.
- Representing partners in BDO, the leading UK-based accountant, in their role as liquidators of Robin Symes Limited. Our UK-based civil fraud team is advising these clients in a highly-contentious liquidation of the antiquities dealership, Robin Symes Limited, involving the disputed ownership of £ multi-millions of antiquities.
- Acting for Mr Ingram Hill in a dispute regarding his alleged failure to disclose a £10m tax rebate claim in a settlement that he reached with Roadchef Employee Benefits Trust Limited in 2014.
Morrison Foerster is best known for handling cross-border fraud investigations and disputes, including asset tracing and fraud claims with trust elements. The firm is also experienced in domestic fraud investigations and enforcement actions brought in by the serious fraud office (SFO). Practice head Jonathan Wheeler focuses on complex cross–border disputes, notably commercial disputes, international fraud, asset tracing and investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Gemma Anderson; Saqib Alam
Liquidators of Saad Investments Company Limited
Established in February 2020 Seladore Legal is a specialist disputes boutique focusing on complex cross-border disputes, fraud, asset tracing and enforcement disputes. The firm is ‘part of a new wave of heavyweight boutique litigation firms adept at using funding for clients and has particular experience in civil fraud’. The practice combines ‘huge collective experience and a thorough understanding of the area‘ with a ‘real expertise in offshore and CIS work’. Co-founding partner Simon Bushell leads the civil fraud team and ‘knows a lot about the law as well as how to win a dispute by finding the sweet spot early’.
Other key lawyers:
Gareth Keillor; Kevin Kilgour; Gary Milner-Moore
‘The firm is part of a new wave of heavyweight boutique litigation firms adept at using funding for clients and has particular experience in civil fraud. The firm is lean and the lead partners are hands on and closely involved throughout’.
‘Simon Bushell is a true heavyweight – a tough litigator with extensive experience, he is robust but also with good judgment’.
‘Newly established boutique firm that is already making waves. Huge collective experience and a thorough understanding of the area’.
‘Simon Bushell is highly experienced and very commercial fraud, banking and commercial / arbitration litigator. Knows a lot about the law as well as how to win a dispute by finding the sweet spot early’.
‘A litigation boutique specialising in fraud and asset tracing with leading partners who are experts in this field after many years in large litigation practices’.
‘Nimble, creative, tenacious and hugely experienced and well connected across many jurisdictions with a real expertise in offshore and CIS work, Seladore provides a truly first-class and cost-effective service’.
‘Simon Bushell is fantastic – vastly experienced, he has seen it all, and on asset tracing he knows exactly where the bodies are likely to be buried. He combines the nose of a bloodhound with the tenacity of a terrier and the ruthlessness of a doberman. A brilliant strategist and tactician, and a worrying opponent to have to face’.
‘Seladore is a top tier complex commercial and fraud boutique that offers the level of service you would expect from the highest rank of large London commercial firms but with the lean staffing and cost savings that come from being in a smaller format’.
John Gregg; Bronze Monkey LLC; Dewarson Ltd
Satfinance Investment Limited
Come Harvest Holdings Limited & Mega Wealth International Trading Limited
Gulfvin Investment Limited
- Acting for Mr Massad in the huge multi-party fraud claim brought by the Kuwait Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS).
- Advising in relation to the recognition of a complex Russian insolvency pursuant to the Cross-Border Insolvency Regulations, including obtaining a worldwide freezing order and passport surrender order against the debtor.
- Acting on behalf of Come Harvest and Mega Wealth in relation to a significant dispute with ED&F Man Capital Markets Limited arising out of contracts for the sale and purchase of nickel in circumstances where warehouse receipts evidencing title to the nickel appear to have been created fraudulently.
The ‘well managed and resourced team’ of Trowers & Hamlins LLP acts for domestic and international clients in the civil fraud space. The firm is experienced handling prevention, investigations and recovery actions across multiple jurisdictions, with particular strength in freezing injunction applications and advising national clients on anti-bribery and fraud prevention issues. Commercial litigation and arbitration specialist Helen Briant leads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Elizabeth Mulley; Alex Burton; Sam Robinson; Chris Recker
‘Very well managed and resourced team: this is how to delegate. There are no endless calls with everyone on them. The people who need to be doing things are all doing them when they need to be, with strong communication across the team as to who is doing what and what is left to do etc. This must (I assume) significantly reduce costs for the client whilst ensuring a complex and difficult case is moving forward efficiently and effectively’.
‘Helen Briant is very realistic, commercial and focussed on the client’s objectives, which never slip from view’.
‘Elizabeth Mulley is an impressive senior associate. Joined the team and the case late and has got on top of a large amount of detail in a difficult legal area very quickly’.
‘Well managed and superbly led providing top-level City advice’.
‘Alex Burton has seen it all and is operating at the top of his game on London and Middle-Eastern disputes. Well supported by Sam Robinson and Chris Recker’.
Mobeus Equity Partners IV LP
- Representing a large number of Claimants in a group action who are bringing fraud claims arising from a property development scheme and seeking damages of over £50m
- Advising a large logistics company who was the subject of a ransomware attack and advising on the subsequent ICO investigation.
- Acting for Mobeus Equity Partners IV LP, a private equity house in a Commercial Court claim for fraudulent misrepresentation arising from an investment of £14m.
The dedicated fraud team of Moon Beever acts at the intersection with commercial litigation, debt and insolvency. The firm ‘draws on its stand-out insolvency practice to attract really interesting civil fraud work, often with an insolvency angle'. Frances Coulson specilases in contentuious insolvency matters, particularly cases involving fraud and injunctive relief. She co-leads the team with experienced commercial litigation and insolvency practitioners Graham Mcphie and James Latham.
Frances Coulson; Graham McPhie; James Latham
Other key lawyers:
Richard Saunders; Sara Crystal
‘The Fraud and Insolvency Team at Moon Beever are highly experienced and well established in this field. They know exactly what they are doing and know how to get results. They are stand-out because of the clients they attract and their collective experience and know-how’.
‘Frances Coulson is a very effective and tenacious litigator who always gets results. She is highly experienced and deserves her formidable reputation in the market’.
‘Richard Saunders is very experienced in all aspects of insolvency and particularly in cases with a fraud angle. A very effective litigator who knows exactly what he is doing and always gets results’.
‘Sara Crystal is extremely efficient, knowledgeable and hard working. She is a great team player, very supportive and knows insolvency like the back of her hand’.
‘Frances Coulson provides vision, profile and leadership but then lets her team get on with it unless there is a specific issue which warrants her attention’.
‘Graham McPhie is the most technically able solicitor in the personal insolvency market and is my go to person on issues I have not come across before – he recently resolved a cross over case involving bankruptcy and a restraint order’.
‘Moon Beever draws on its stand-out insolvency practice to attract really interesting civil fraud work, often with an insolvency angle’.
‘It is a relatively small firm, but its reputation in the insolvency and civil fraud market means it is able to attract heavyweight disputes’.
RSM UK LLP
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Begbies Traynor Plc
- Acting for David Ingram of Grant Thornton Liquidator of MSD Cash & Carry, the Liquidator in assessment of damages against de facto and de jure director following findings of fraud for circa £1mn.
- Acting for Adrian Hyde and Kevin Murphy of Begbies Traynor Plc in international property fraud in excess of £5mn involving money laundering, tax evasion, mortgage fraud, and document forgery between 14 parties located in the UK, Pakistan and Dubai. The Crown Prosecution Service, HM Revenue and Customs, and the Metropolitan Police are all involved in the action.
- Acting for Stephen Hunt of Griffins in an employee benefit trust claim circa £55mn involving 7 pursuing loss to the company in engaging in tax avoidance schemes. British Virgin and Cayman Islands.
William Grace has expertise in domestic and multijurisdictional civil fraud litigation related to bribery, corruption, breach of fiduciary duties, secret profits, dishonest assistance and deceit. The firm has a particular specialism in acting for additional or niche defendants in large-scale multi-defendant fraud cases. Alastair Shaw leads the team and is ‘technically strong having always specialised in civil fraud’.
‘The team is deliberately small and Alistair Shaw is a hands on partner. As a client you are being well looked after and advised by an expert who is used to acting for individuals caught in the eye of a storm and he knows how to navigate through it and take on the bigger teams or work along side them as required on specific cases’.
‘Alistair Shaw is the key fraud partner. He is technically strong having always specialised in civil fraud and previously worked at a boutique fraud practice. He’s equally capable of dealing with claimant or defence work and is very hands on’.
- Continuing to advise a client in relation to further developments relating to the (now discontinued) high profile bribery and corruption proceedings LIA v SocGen and Ors and subsequent matters brought by the Libyan Investment Authority and related matters.