The civil fraud offering of Allen & Overy LLP, headed by Calum Burnett and Arnondo Chakrabarti, acts on matters ranging from fraudulent misrepresentation to transactions at an undervalue and internal company frauds. The practice has a ‘great and co-ordinated overseas network‘, resulting in the team taking on numerous complex, large-scale and multi-jurisdictional matters, such as search and seizure orders as well as freezing and disclosure orders. Accordingly, Brandon O’Neil and Tom Spackman are lauded for having ‘an excellent nose for solutions to asset tracing‘, while Juliet de Pencier, who specialises in cross-border enforcement issues, is noted as ‘exceptional‘. Andy McGregor is experienced in handling high-value civil fraud cases for large international banks, among others, and is considered ‘one of the genuinely big names in civil fraud in London‘. Further key members of the team are Eve Giles, a specialist for corporate crime matters with a fraud issue, Helen Biggin, who regularly assists corporates with internal fraud investigations, as well as Jonathan Hitchin.
Fraud: civil in London
Allen & Overy LLP
Calum Burnett; Arnondo Chakrabarti
Other key lawyers:
Andy McGregor; Eve Giles; Jonathan Hitchin; Brandon O’Neil; Juliet de Pencier; Tom Spackman; Helen Biggin; Michael Godden
‘Very collegiate and responsive team with great and co-ordinated overseas network.’
‘Brandon O’Neill and Tom Spackman are both very bright, keen, diligent and creative lawyers with an excellent nose for solutions to asset tracing.’
‘Allen & Overy has an outstanding reputation for civil fraud cases – which is fully justified. They have first class teams, strength in depth, extensive experience in this area and a number of outstanding individuals. They are without question one of the premier firms for this type of work.’
NTT Limited, NTT LTd Group Services United Kingdom Limited, Dimension Data Facilities (Pty) Limited, Dimension Data Middle East and Africa (Pty) Ltd, Dimension Data (Pty) Limited, NTT Ltd Management Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd, and Dimension Data Global Management Services Limited
Riccardo Silva Holding DAC and Riccardo Silva
IIFL Wealth Management Ltd.
The ‘truly exceptional‘ civil fraud team at Baker McKenzie is known for handling matters with a complex cross-border dimension, such as Norwich pharmacal orders, discovery applications, filing direct and derivative claims and looking into breaches of contract, trust and fiduciary duties. Hugh Lyons, ‘a titan in the insolvency world‘, has a particular specialism in handling insolvency issues arising in the context of fraud, is said to be ‘one of the best strategists in the City of London‘; he co-heads the team with Charles Thomson, ‘a very intelligent tactician who is always thinking ahead‘ and is highly experienced in multijurisdictional fraud investigations. Marc Florent ‘has a wealth of experience‘ in relation to multi-party, high value proceedings, while the ‘outstanding‘ Henry Garfield is experienced in internal investigations in the financial sector.
Charles Thomson; Hugh Lyons
Other key lawyers:
Marc Florent; Henry Garfield
‘Strategically brilliant with strength in depth.’
‘The phenomenally brilliant Hugh Lyons is a joy to work with, and one of the best strategist in the City of London.’
‘Charles Thomson and Henry Garfield, both excellent on attention to detail, responsiveness, realism.’
Kuwait Department of Legal Advice and Legislation (DLAL)
Kuwait Ports Authority (KPA)
Kuwait Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS)
Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC
Abdullah Nasser Bin Obaid
- Acted for the Kuwaiti State Legal Department (DLAL), and two emanations of the State of Kuwait (KPA and PIFSS) in connection with a fraud claim worth in excess of USD 150 million brought by KPA and PIFSS relating to their USD 125 million investment in The Port Fund, a fund based in the Cayman Islands.
- Represented the largest Islamic bank in the UAE in multijurisdictional proceedings arising from a ca. USD 500 million large-scale receivables fraud in the early 2000s and a settlement of claims in 2007.
- Acted for Abdullah Nasser Bin Obaid, a wealthy Saudi Arabian businessman, since 2017 on a number of high-value proceedings in the High Court. The first proceedings related to a GBP 35 million fraud claim which our client had brought against his former business partner, Khalid Abdullah Al-Hezaimi.
Lawyers of CMS are distinctly knowledgeable of the energy and finance sectors, acting on an array of fraud, corruption, cyber fraud and money laundering issues, among others. Practice head Bernard O’Sullivan, a 'go-to fraud lawyer for difficult and complex litigation' and asset recovery and regulatory issue expert, is supported by Tamsin Blow who demonstrates a tenacity for cross-border matters, including multijurisdictional asset tracing. At senior associate level, Anita De Villiers is experienced in both UK and Australia-based matters.
Other key lawyers:
Eoin O’Shea; Steven Corney; Luke Pardey; Andrew Taplin; Anita de Villiers; Tamsin Blow
‘The CMS team is strong across the board. There is a well considered allocation of work at each level of the team to achieve costs efficiencies for the client.’
‘Andrew Taplin – really bright, capable and thoroughly straightforward. He does not mess around, and gives clients really clear, honest and practical advice. He also loves a challenge, and is good in a tight spot. Experienced at running large scale international litigation, in particular fraud cases.’
‘CMS are a hugely influential, far-reaching law firm who focus on building strong relationships with their clients and never lose sight of how important local market understanding is. CMS lawyers are experts in their fields and handle their cases confidently and sensitively.’
Mr Camran Mirza; Mrs Saira Mirza; Mr Ameer Mirza; Tydwell Limited; Boomzone Limited and Redwire DC Limited
Golden Music Limited, Cornwallis Limited and Ms Khunying Korkaew Boonyachinda
- Advised the former CEO of Solo Capital, in the multi-billion pound claim by the Danish national tax authority (SKAT) against over 100 defendants arising out of the collapse of Solo Capital.
- Acted on behalf of Golden Music Limited; Cornwallis Limited (and Mdm Khunying Korkaew Boonyachinda in a billion-dollar fraud claim relating to Thai wind energy company, Wind Energy Holding Co Ltd. Featured as a ‘Top 20 Case’ by The Lawyer.
DLA Piper often acts on multijurisdictional issues, including fraudulent transactions arising from the collapse of international banks, as well as instructions relating to freezing orders in English courts. Recently, the firm has been busy with cross-border joint venture disputes, including an oligarch dispute, which involved serious allegations of fraud and asset-stripping, and with substantial freezing orders in place in multiple jurisdictions as well as fraudulent misrepresentations leading to arbitration proceedings. The team is jointly headed by the ‘superb duo‘ Jamie Curle and Jeremy Andrews, who are both experienced in cross-border disputes in the banking, funds and financial services sector, and includes ‘hugely talented‘ Charles Allin, who has a specialism in regard to offshore and international arbitration matters. Adam Ibrahim, Jeremy Sher, James Carter and Jean‑Pierre Douglas‑Henry are further key members of the team. Tom Laidler made partner in May 2023.
Jamie Curle; Jeremy Andrews
Other key lawyers:
Adam Ibrahim; Jeremy Sher; James Carter; Charles Allin; Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry; Tom Laidler
‘Jeremy Andrews is a first-rate partner in the fraud arena. Very experienced and a deep thinker with a lot of foresight.’
‘The quality of their team is very, very high’
‘Experienced and clever team with a variety of experience in the fraud sphere.’
‘Jamie Curle and Jeremy Andrews are effective communicators and highly sensitive to client requirements. A superb duo.’
‘Probably the best litigation firm in London at the moment, backed up by massive resources to service client needs in almost any area. Cunning strategists who can adopt whatever approach best suits the client’s needs. Also adept at media management in high profile cases.’
‘Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry is just a beast of a litigator with an intellect to match his stance. Jamie Curle is a quiet and considered lawyer who always has his eye on the end game, and develops strategy accordingly.
Charles Allin is always one step ahead of the opposition, a hugely talented lawyer who works unbelievably hard in tenaciously fighting his client’s corner.’
‘Amazing team that are incredibly hard-working and delightful to work with. They attract first-rate work from the market. The team are also very strong in support of equality and diversity of counsel options and supporting female barristers. Very strong expertise in the areas of Arbitration, Commercial, Banking, Group Litigation/Class Actions and Fraud. The standard of work is first-rate. Every counsel in Chambers would be delighted to work for the firm.’
Renova Industries Limited
Intrum Hellas (subsidiary of NASDAQ-listed group Intrum AB)
- Represented Jas Bains, the 40th defendant, in a case brought by the Danish tax authority against 79 defendants for alleged tax fraud in relation to a hedge fund.
- Advised Renova in high-profile oligarch dispute involving serious allegations of fraud brought in the British Virgin Islands by Renova Industries Ltd against Mikhail Abyzov and his affiliated companies.
- Acted on behalf of Intrum Hellas in relation to an overseas judgment creditor’s strategy to resist enforcement of an English court judgment in Greece against a high-profile property asset in the Cyclades archipelago.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has ‘a long pedigree as a leader in disputes generally‘, with its civil fraud practice stated to be ‘unrivalled’. The team is particularly adept at handling multi-jurisdictional, high value and complex fraud cases, and specialisms include fraud cases in the cryptocurrency sector, as well as acting for sovereign wealth funds on misappropriated assets in different jurisdictions. Practice head Jeremy Garson is ‘one of the best in the business‘, and has recently been active in complex cross-border cases pertaining to allegations of unlawful and dishonest conduct, including bribery, dissipating assets and sham transactions. ‘Stand-out partner‘ Natasha Johnson specialises in proceedings related to the financial services industry, including alleged financial misstatements, financial and consumer mis-selling and director misfeasance. ‘Outstanding‘ William Turner, specialist for fraud matters involving offshore trusts, as well as Chris Bushell and associate Heather Rankin are further key members of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Bushell; Natasha Johnson; Heather Rankin; William Turner
‘Herbert Smith Freehills’ practice is unrivalled. The firm has a long pedigree as a leader in disputes generally, and its civil fraud practice includes many of its stand-out partners and fee earners.’
‘Jeremy Garson is one of the best in the business. Extremely clever and always gets to the difficult points before anyone else in the room. He is also a superb strategist and draftsman.’
‘Superb team, very well led. Strength in depth – all levels are excellent.’
Certain of the former non-executive directors of Carillion
Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation (SIPC); Addax Petroleum UK Limited
- Acting for Jinxin Inc in ongoing fraudulent misrepresentation claims brought in connection with its US$661m acquisition in 2016 of a majority stake in Media Partners & Silva, a sports rights media business, which went into insolvency shortly after its acquisition.
- Acted as advisors to certain former non-executive directors of Carillion plc in relation to proceedings brought by the Secretary of State, where claims against the directors include that they engaged in alleged financial statement fraud.
- Represented SIPC and Addax, subsidiaries of the Sinopec Group, in highly complex fraud proceedings arising from the 2012 purchase by SIPC and Addax of a 49% stake in a significant upstream business in the North Sea. The respondent is Repsol, SA. The claim is valued in excess of US$ 4 billion.
Hogan Lovells International LLP is a ‘leading civil fraud firm with unrivalled experience in succeeding on bringing claims for recoveries on complex frauds‘. The practice ‘has a strong and experienced team dealing with all aspects of civil fraud‘ as well as particular strength in matters pertaining to the banking sector or CIS jurisdictions, including Ukraine, as well as Libya and Cyprus, among others. Crispin Rapinet has particular experience with cases involving the Middle East and Asia, whereas ractice head Michael Roberts is ‘a superb litigator‘ and has secured prominent victories in matters involving freezing orders, cross-border insolvency and international asset-tracing. An ‘exceptionally able lawyer‘, Liam Nadoo specialises in proceedings involving fraud, bribery, corruption, and human rights, and Chris Hardman is a specialist for proceedings in the banking sector. Rebecca Wales is a further key member of the team, as is ‘very clever litigator‘ Oliver Humphrey.
Other key lawyers:
Crispin Rapinet; Chris Hardman; Rebecca Wales; Liam Naidoo; Richard Lewis; Oliver Humphrey
‘An excellent all-round, full service, team, with strength in depth and in numbers. They can react and adapt to the biggest or smallest case rapidly and deploy the right level, numbers and skills.’
‘Michael Roberts is a superb litigator who leads from the front and combines excellent strategy and vision with detailed knowledge of the facts, which is very unusual in such a senior partner.’
‘Oliver Humphrey is an excellent hand-on relatively junior partner. He fights hard for his clients, makes excellent strategic decisions, and is a very clever litigator. Liam Naidoo is a rare combination of highly intelligent lawyer, superb team leader and excellent client handler.’
‘Hogan Lovells are a very professional team with exceptional creativity and resourcefulness.’
‘Leading civil fraud firm with unrivalled experience in succeeding on bringing claims for recoveries on complex frauds, particularly from CIS.’
‘Richard Lewis leads a standout team and gives you complete confidence in the strategy and how to get to the desired outcome. He manages expectations well and genuinely understands client pressures and objectives.’
‘A niche practice with real insight into commercial issues.’
‘HL has a strong and experienced team dealing with all aspects of civil fraud.’
Liquidators from Grant Thornton UK LLP
JSC CB PrivatBank
Gramercy Funds Management LLC
Kazakhstan Kagazy Plc and others (the KK Group)
Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC)
FM Capital Partners Ltd (FMCP) and its client Libya Africa Investment Portfolio (LAP)
Sergiy Taruta and Dargamo Holdings Limited
JSC BTA Bank
- Acted for Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC) in its high profile claim against ENRC’s former solicitors, Dechert and former Dechert partner Neil Gerrard, and in related litigation against the UK Serious Fraud Office.
- Acted for JSC CB PrivatBank in its high profile claim against its former shareholders, Igor Kolomoisky and Gennadiy Bogolyubov, and six companies alleged to be secretly owned by them.
- Ongoing management of a series of cross-border proceedings on behalf of Gramercy Funds Management LLC, in respect of notes issued by Ukrainian farming conglomerate UkrLandFarming Plc, and its subsidiary, Avangardco Investments Public Limited, and a related scheme of asset dissipation.
Jones Day‘s civil fraud team is hailed as ‘the best in the business‘, and is, in particular, ‘at the top of the field for complex cross-border fraud and asset tracing‘. The practice is ‘full to the rafters with experienced, canny litigators‘ which includes Barnaby Stueck, an ‘absolutely first class‘ specialist for asset tracing and enforcement, contentious insolvency, and investment fund disputes, as well as ‘efficient operator‘ Annabel Treadgold and Daniel Travers. Associate James Fidler is a ‘shrewd lawyer‘ who specialises in advice to clients from the Asia-Pacific region. The practice is headed by ‘crème de la crème of civil fraud lawyers in London‘, Sion Richards, who is ‘particularly strong on fraud, particularly in an insolvency context‘. The team has recently also been active in defence work for banks, which included disclosure and vicarious liability issues, and has acted for several banks from the Middle East.
Other key lawyers:
Barnaby Stueck; Daniel Travers; Annabel Treadgold; James Fidler
‘Jones Day are a slick operation – full to the rafters with experienced, canny litigators. Sion Richards and Barnaby Stueck are real heavyweights in the marketplace. Highly recommend. Particularly strong on fraud, particularly in an insolvency context.’
‘Very strong breadth and depth of knowledge and experience. A first class act.’
‘Sion Richards is the crème de la crème of civil fraud lawyers in London. Annabel Treadgold is an efficient operator with great client management skills. James Fidler is a shrewd lawyer with a keen eye for detail and excellent judgment.’
‘Fantastic fraud team, top level work, particularly multi-jurisdictional frauds.’
‘Barnaby Stueck – Absolutely first class. Fantastic with clients, all over the detail, excellent tactical awareness. Probably the best partner I work with.’
‘Sion Richards leads the disputes practice and is excellent. Barnaby Stueck is a partner hugely in demand. He sees things clear, thinks tactically and keeps the bigger picture, and the client’s ultimate commercial aim, squarely in mind at all times. He really delivers. At the associate level, I would highlight James Fidler, who is doubtless destined for promotion soon.’
‘Jones Day Team is the best. Under the leadership of Sion Richards, we have had multiple successful actions. The team collaborates very well with an amazing reporting process which is straight to the point.’
‘Sion Richards is the most professional partner I have ever seen. Knowledge and expertise are combined with transparency and “think out of the box” approach. Associate James Fidler; just phenomenal. He provides the right advice in time and combines all this with excellent writing skills.’
Commercial Bank of Dubai
First Curaçao International Bank N.V.
ESO Management (Luxembourg) Limited S.à.r.l;
European Special Opportunities Fund IV FCP SIF
ESO Investco I S.à.r.l
ESO Management (Luxembourg) II S.à.r.l
European Special Opportunities Fund V FCP SIF
ESO Investco V S.à.r.l
Commercial Bank of Dubai
Pradeep and Sangita Morjaria (the “Morjarias”) and their offshore family trust
Joint Stock Company Eurasian Bank
Jatin Mehta, Sonia Mehta and Suraj Mehta
Alta Trading UK Limited (formerly known as Arcadia Petroleum Limited)
- Assisted the Commercial Bank of Dubai with advising on and coordinating the strategic tracing and enforcement of assets over multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised First Curaçao International Bank N.V.in excess of GBP 415 million assigned claims by English entities arising out of allegations of missing trader intercompany fraud.
- Representing EssilorLuxottica SA following the discovery of a substantial fraud by an employee of a subsidiary; spearheaded the international asset tracing and recovery efforts which involved devising a multijurisdictional strategy via a suite of both criminal and civil precedents, recovering USD175 million.
Mishcon de Reya LLP is ‘a market-leading firm in fraud and asset recovery, particularly in cross-border matters‘. The practice’s strengths lie in a frequent flow of instructions to do with applications for injunctions, anti-suit relief, and jurisdiction challenges across a myriad of jurisdictions, and it is ‘also particularly strong in crypto fraud disputes‘. Kasra Nouroozi is a ‘sharp tactitican’ while Hugo Plowman, who has been praised as ‘one of the most intelligent litigators in London‘, heads the litigation team. The ‘exceptional fraud and asset recovery practitioner‘ Robert Wynn Jones serves as head of the fraud team since April 2023, and is noted for his work regarding freezing orders. The practice further includes the ‘highly experienced‘ Gary Miller, as well as Rhymal Persad and Rebecca Belgrave, who have ‘specialist knowledge of crypto fraud disputes‘.
Kasra Nouroozi; Hugo Plowman; Robert Wynn Jones
Other key lawyers:
Gary Miller; Rhymal Persad; Oliver Felton; Rebecca Belgrave
‘Mishcon is the finest English law firm I have worked with. I attribute this to consistent quality work and results over many years from the firm and this group specifically. The quality of this team starts at the top with the partners and runs to the talented associates in this group.’
‘Kasra Nouroozi is the most talented solicitor I have ever worked with. He is a sharp tactician who keeps the clients’ core goals in mind at all times. Kasra thinks multiple steps ahead of his adversaries and is adept at avoiding distractions and keeping an eye on the core objectives during the course of heated litigation. Kasra is also an excellent communicator.’
‘Rhymal Persad is a very talented solicitor who is well-prepared and wins cases by mastering the details. He has endless energy and will leave no stone unturned. Rhy’s effectiveness also stems from his familiarity with the different legal systems around the world. Rhy’s knowledge of the procedural mechanisms in foreign jurisdictions was outcome determinative in winning those cases.’
‘Rob Wynn Jones is a very aggressive solicitor who knows his way around all corners of the globe. His familiarity with the procedural and substantive laws of key jurisdictions makes him lethal in a cross-border dispute. Rob knows how to devise a strategy and then execute on it.’
‘Hugo Plowman – one of the most intelligent litigators in London.’
‘Mishcon is a market-leading firm in fraud and asset recovery, particularly in cross-border matters. Mishcon has exceptional know-how in fraud and asset recovery. They are also extremely practical, with a singular focus to recover stolen funds for their clients in the most cost-effective manner. Mishcon is also particularly strong in crypto fraud disputes. They are also a key and founding member of the International Fraud Group which brings together fraud and asset recovery specialists from different jurisdictions across the world.’
‘Partner, Gary Miller, is highly experienced and is a market leader in fraud and asset recovery. Additionally, he was also previously based in Hong Kong for a number of years and is therefore also very familiar with dispute resolution in the Asia-Pacific region.’
‘Partners, Robert Jones, Rhymal Persad and Rebecca Belgrave, are also exceptional fraud and asset recovery practitioners with specialist knowledge of crypto fraud disputes. They give practical advice, are extremely client-friendly, and are highly knowledgeable in their field.’
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Koza Altin Işletmeleri(KA)
Raiffeisenbank International AG (RBI)
Petraco Oil Company
Eva Green v White Lantern
Ocado Group PLC
- Acted for Koza Altin, Turkey’s largest gold mining company, in relation to a £67m litigation concerning a battle for control over the English subsidiary and involving a blend of jurisdiction issues, human rights law, banking regulation, private international law and company law.
- Acted for Raiffeisenbank International, Austria’s second largest bank, on various disputes, including a dispute concerning the recovery of over €100m from a NYSE listed company, and a second dispute involving English proceedings brought against borrowers based in BVI and Indonesia, and a prominent Indonesian businessman.
- Acted for Evatt Tamine and Cabarita (PTC) Limited in relation to civil litigation across multiple jurisdictions.
PCB Byrne is ‘one of the leading civil fraud outfits in the London market‘, and is ‘easily capable of going toe-to-toe with the largest firms‘. A particular strength of the practice lies in asset recovery, with niche specialisms including advice to international companies and institutions in relation to the impact of sanctions on asset recovery, as well as recovering assets in ultra-high net worth matrimonial cases. The team is headed by ‘great strategist‘ Anthony Riem and ‘one of the best solicitors in London‘, Nicola Boulton; it also includes Trevor Mascarenhas, who has ‘a huge intellect with unrivalled knowledge of the law in this area‘. Nick Ractliff ‘is most adept at dealing with highly complex and valuable international litigation involving serious allegations of dishonesty and corporate wrongdoing‘ and Elizabeth Seborg is noted for her asset recovery and interim injunctions work. Charlotte Bhania was promoted to partner in April 2022, while Catherine Eason and Tom McKernan both made partner in July 2023. Neil Micklethwaite and Olga Bischof joined the firm in mid-2023.
Anthony Riem; Nicola Boulton
Other key lawyers:
Trevor Mascarenhas; Elizabeth Seborg; Nick Ractliff; Ben Davies; Charlotte Bhania; Catherine Eason; Olga Bischof; Neil Micklethwaite; Tom McKernan
‘One of the leading civil fraud outfits in the London market. Easily capable of going toe-to-toe with the largest firms in the market.’
‘Excellent team of litigators with an impressive track record in cross border commercial disputes and at the top of their game for international fraud and asset recovery. Anthony Riem, Trevor Mascharenas, and Nick Ractliff, are all absolutely brilliant, committed, creative, and commercially savvy.’
‘The quality and reputation of the practitioners at PCB Byrne is second to none. They are regularly sought after on a wide range of matters. Their reputation has only been enhanced by the combination between PCB and Byrne, with their joined up offering difficult to beat.’
‘Nicola Boulton – brightest solicitor I have ever encountered, incredibly articulate and always spots the best points. Anthony Reim – great strategist, great with clients, and great sense of humour, which is invaluable. Nick Ractliff – just a huge amount of common and commercial sense, which is a much underrated quality, particularly in this area. Catherine Eason – just been made a partner: Bright, unflappable, pragmatic and clients really rate her. She is clearly seen by clients and colleagues as a key member of the team.’
‘PCB Byrne is well-established as a leader in fraud litigation. The team has excellent experience and depth of knowledge of the area. The firm regularly goes up against much bigger firms and wins.’
‘Trevor Mascarenhas – a huge intellect with unrivalled knowledge of the law in this area. Anthony Riem – a dynamic force who knows how to lead a team and get results.’
‘Nick Ratcliff is another excellent partner. Nick is most adept at dealing with highly complex and valuable international litigation involving serious allegations of dishonesty and corporate wrongdoing.’
‘Outstanding boutique law firm. By specialising in high level civil fraud work it has developed experience and expertise ahead of many major magic circle firms. Its way of working – with strong partner-lead teams, where fee earners at both partner and associate level have genuine expertise and work closely with the bar, it is very effective and instructed in many of the top cases.’
Balda Foundation & Nysco Management Corp
United Company Rusal
Republic of Cuba & Banco Nacional de Cuba
ABFA Commodities Trading Ltd (formerly VTB Commodities Trading Designated Activity Company)
Nikolai and Vera Kazakov
Lopag Trust Reg and others
Invest Bank PSC
Muna Al Wazzan
His Excellency Saeed Alqebaisi and Mr Khaleefa Almuhairi
Darren Lui, Ace City Holdings
South Bank Hotel Management Lt.
Cheong Choo Young and others
Hangzhou Jiudang Asset Management Co. Limited and Hangzhou Biaoba Trading Co. Limited
Banco de Sabadell SA
- Acted for the Balda Foundation and Nysco Management in their court victory against a $2.3 billion claim by Vale, a metals and mining multinational.
- Acted for Rusal in USD 3-5 billion claim against Vladimir Potanin which included allegations of asset stripping, self-dealing and environmental negligence.
- Successfully challenged jurisdiction on behalf of the major shareholders in NMC Healthcare, in a $1 billion Commercial Court claim concerning allegations of deceit involving Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP has ‘vast experience in fraud disputes across a range of sectors‘, with the fraud team having been ‘involved in leading cases which have shaped the law in this area‘. The practice is commended for having 'specialisms in everything there is to do with fraud‘, a forte showcased through its activity on highly complex, multiparty, cross-border and high-value fraud cases. The team is often active within the banking and financial services sectors, and specialises in fraud within the scope of contentious insolvencies, as cyber-related and crypto fraud issues. ‘Excellent fraud litigator‘ Alan Sheeley heads the team and regularly acts on behalf of state-owned entities such as sovereign investment funds. Jennifer Craven is ‘in a class of her own‘, while the ‘very astute commercially‘ Stuart McNeill specialises in fraud issues arising from contentious insolvency cases. Andrew Barns-Graham is noted for being ‘an excellent negotiator‘.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Barns-Graham; Jennifer Craven; Stuart McNeill
‘Massive strength in experience with specialisms in everything there is to do with fraud.’
‘Alan Sheeley has a huge presence. He is calm and tenacious, willing to understand the detail but always focused on the big issues that have to be fought and won.’
‘The Pinsents team has vast experience in fraud disputes across a range of sectors. The team has been involved in leading cases which have shaped the law in this area.’
Skatteforvaltningen (The Danish Customs and Tax Administration)
Trade Point Agro Limited
Rossyn Investing Corp
Milbert Ventures Inc
Zao Ukrtransitservice Ltd
The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
LLB Verwaltung (Schweiz) AG
Aldermore Bank Plc
NatWest Markets Plc [before April 2018: The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc]
- Continued to act for Skatteforvaltningen (the Danish Customs and Tax Administration) as the sole claimant in highly complex multi-party London Commercial Court proceedings to recover c. DKK 12.6 billion (c £1.5 billion) losses from over 100 defendants, who are represented by numerous different City law firms.
- Acted for the six companies involved in an enormous cross-border fraud claim brought by JSC Commercial Bank Privatbank, against the Bank’s former owners – two Ukrainian oligarchs; Mr Kolomoisky and Mr Bogolyubov – and six companies, three English and three from the British Virgin Islands.
- Advised The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea in a major victory against social housing tenancy fraud, working with Airbnb to unlock critical information that can be used in future legal action or criminal proceedings against alleged fraudsters.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP is seen as an ‘absolutely top litigation firm, including in fraud‘, taking on cases from Europe, CIS jurisdictions, Africa, the Middle East and offshore jurisdictions, and representing a broad variety of clients, including banks, corporations, bankruptcy office holders and high net worth individuals, in both litigation and arbitration proceedings. The team is ‘able to bring to bear the greatest resources in quality and quantity‘ when advising on matters such as contractual fraud, asset recovery, shareholder and individual fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent misrepresentation, evasion of enforcement as well as freezing injunctions. The fraud practice is led by the ‘outstanding‘ Nick Marsh and fields ‘probably the highest concentration of legal superstars specialising in litigation in London‘, which includes ‘legendary‘ Ted Greeno as well as Alex Gerbi, who regularly acts for states and governments, and Khaled Khatoun, who has particular experience of disputes involving the Middle East and UAE territories.
Other key lawyers:
Khaled Khatoun; Ted Greeno; Justin Michaelson; Marina Boterashvili; Anna Parfjonova; Alex Gerbi
‘An absolutely top litigation firm including in fraud, able to bring to bear the greatest resources in quality and quantity.’
‘QE are to my mind the most effective heavy litigators in London. Their offering is backed by huge international heft, and their client offering is 360 degrees.’
‘They are talented and committed across the board. Nick Marsh, and all the associates led by the legendary Ted Greeno are without exception outstanding.’
Process & Industrial Developments Limited
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
The Joint Administrators of NMC Health PLC (in administration in England) and NMC Healthcare LTD (in administration in the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM)) and 35 other NMC Subsidiaries
Federal Insurance Deposit Corporation
Alfa Duty Free
Mr Vitaliy Gaiduk and Mrs Elena Gaiduk (and their affiliated companies)
Mr John Deuss
Peter Bosworth and Colin Hurley
Vladimir Chernukhin, Lubov Chernukhin and Navigator Equities Limited
Terre Neuve SARL, Largely Investments SA and Mr Laurent Zahut
HRH Prince Khaled Bin Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and HRH Princess Deema Bint Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
Mr Antoine Nasrallah
- Acted for Process and Industrial Developments Limited in its high profile dispute before the English High Court against the Federal Republic of Nigeria, with an estimated worth of USD 11 billion, and instructed to take over from Kobre & Kim in September 2022 just six months before the start of the 8 week trial.
- Acted as co-counsel with Clifford Chance in the highly-publicised Qatar Airways v Airbus High Court proceedings, worth in excess of USD 2.5 billion.
- Acted for the Joint Administrators, Alvarez and Marsal, of NMC Health, the Middle East’s largest private health group, in relation to fraud claims valued at more than USD 4 billion.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons civil fraud practice fields a ‘superb team with unrivalled expertise in this area‘ which is ‘experienced in large-scale civil fraud cases, particularly cases emerging from Eastern Europe‘. The team is adept at handling cases involving multiple jurisdictions, acting for corporations as well as high net-worth individuals on both the claimant and defendant side. The varied caseload of the firm involves matters such as alleged deceit, misrepresentation, conspiracy and dishonest assistance related to tax schemes and investment schemes, as well as unlawful secret commissions. The team is jointly led by Patrick Boylan, who ‘brings huge commercial experience to his work‘, Ed Crosse, who is ‘rightly well-regarded as a leading practitioner‘ and Nick Benwell, ‘a legend and the person you would want acting for you‘. The ‘exceptional‘ Adam Brown is noted for his work relating to the fund and insurance industries, while Chloe Morris has a specialism in shareholder litigation.
Patrick Boylan; Ed Crosse; Nick Benwell
Other key lawyers:
Adam Brown; Chloe Morris
‘A super civil fraud team: well resourced, very knowledgeable, intellectually superior, always 2 steps ahead of the game. A superb team with unrivalled expertise in this area.’
‘Adam Brown: you will not find a litigation partner more committed to his client’s cause: he lives and breathes his client’s case and fights 5 rounds further than others. No one with more energy and fight.’
‘A bright and skilful team which has strength and ability at all levels of seniority. It is able to draw on the input from other specialist teams at the firm, e.g. tax, to bring together bespoke teams to meet the needs of any particular case.’
EFG Bank AG
Abraaj Investment Management Limited and Abraaj Capital Limited
Business Mortgage Finance
- Represented Sushovan Hussain in a USD5 billion claim brought by Hewlett-Packard arising out of alleged fraudulent misrepresentations made about the financial state of the FTSE listed Autonomy Corporation – one of the largest fraud claims to come before the English Court.
- Acted for EFG Bank AG, a Swiss private bank, as one of approximately 37 Defendants in a claim of over USD800 million brought by The Public Institution for Social Security of Kuwait in the Commercial Court.
- Advised Abraaj Investment Management Limited and Abraaj Capital Limited (both in Official Liquidation) in relation to professional negligence claims worth over USD500 million against their former auditor, KPMG, following the high-profile collapse of the Abraaj group – once the Middle-East’s biggest private equity group and now the world’s largest insolvent private equity fund.
Stephenson Harwood is distinctly well-versed in multinational disputes, including those pertaining to emerging market, with members of the civil fraud team being commended as 'specialists in fraud and asset tracing with a solid grounding in commercial litigation'. 'Market leader' Ros Prince co-heads the team and is acclaimed as an expert in cross-border asset recovery, meanwhile Alan Bercow, the practice’s other lead and 'a senior statesman in this area', is relied upon for all-manner of proceedings, acting for both major corporates and high-net-worth individuals; the duo are supported by 'class act' Priya Grigoriadis who made partner in May 2023 and has developed a track record in freezing, search and disclosure order matters.
Ros Prince; Alan Bercow
Other key lawyers:
Priya Grigoriadis; Galina Usorova
‘A very experienced team with a strong track record. Their stand out skill is coordinating large set piece disputes and long term campaigns.’
‘Ros Prince, Priya Grigoriadis and Alan Bercow are the key partners. The house style is notable for being pragmatic, realistic and capable of dealing with the most difficult claims with the minimum of drama.’
‘Stephenson Harwood are committed to achieving the goals of their clients, giving the right advice efficiently and effectively. Stephenson Harwood provide a far-reaching international service, but not compromising on the importance of local expertise and culture.’
‘Alan Bercow, Ros Prince and Priya Grigoriadis have worked hard as a great team to deliver the best for their clients. Priya is absolutely a rising star, providing excellent advice and service levels for her clients. Ros is a market leader when it comes to civil fraud; she knows the needs of her clients and is extremely hands-on.’
‘The team has unparalleled experience across the whole range of fraud litigation – and all related aspects of commercial litigation generally. They are a true Rolls-Royce outfit.’
‘Ros Prince is enormously savvy and clever. She also leads the team with boundless energy. Priya Grigoriadis has recently been promoted to Partner, and has slotted right in as one of the leading fraud litigators in London.’
‘Alan Bercow is a senior statesman in this area, and deservedly so. Calm and cunning, he makes a difficult opponent and a great leader of his teams. Priya Grigoriadis is a brand-new partner who much deserves her recent promotion: she is a class act, who works hard, has excellent tactical nous, and who manages teams, including counsel, with skill, humour and care.’
‘Ros Prince – formidable, competent, caring, commercial. Alan Bercow – highly experienced.’
Former majority shareholders of Yukos
The joint liquidators of St George’s Limited (Bermuda)
The joint liquidators of Orca Finance UK Limited and Marsh Wall 30 Limited
The joint trustees in bankruptcy of Ramesh Dusoruth
John Milsom and David Standish of Interpath Ltd as Court appointed Enforcement Receivers
Shane Crooks and Malcolm Cohen of BDO LLP
Cossac Holdings Limited
ABB (Private) Limited and the joint trustees in bankruptcy of Charlotte Sarudzai Ndenda
David Standish and David Pike of Interpath Advisory
- Continued to act for the former majority shareholders of Yukos on their enforcement action in England in relation to a US$54+ billion arbitration awards against the Russian state.
- Represented Igor Mints, a successful Russian businessman based in London, who is subject to a US$572 million alleged fraud claim, which was strenuously denied and hard fought.
- Acted for the Enforcement Receivers of a twice-convicted fraudster, Dr Gerald Smith, in relation to one of the largest ever UK Confiscation Orders made in a case by the Serious Fraud Office.
Often active on matters with an international component, US law firm Brown Rudnick LLP is home to civil fraud, criminal and regulatory law expertise. The practice, which is headed by SFO and NCA investigations veteran, Neill Shrimpton , is distinctly well-versed in asset tracing and recovery, in addition to cases where fraudulent misrepresentations have incurred share prices losses. Jane Colston is often active on forensic investigations involving freezing, search, trace and freeze assets and proprietary elements, among others, meanwhile Jessica Lee is a more junior partner who is forging a prominent reputation for cases within the financial services sector.
Other key lawyers:
Jane Colston; Jessica Lee
‘Utterly committed to clients – a laser-focus on their needs. Where I would go if I were in trouble.’
‘Jane Colston – one of the very best litigators in the market. Hugely effective, efficient, great use of tech and a warmth and an unequalled compassion for clients.’
Jessica Lee – new partner – one to watch – particularly strong in the tech and cyber sectors.’
‘Brown Rudnick’s civil fraud expertise is, in my view, exceptional.’
Jessica Lee: I consider that Jessica is a rising star. Her experience in the field of crypto-currency is well-known but she deserves equal commendation for her expertise in general fraud litigation.’
‘A wonderful team led by Jane Colston who I rate as one of the best fraud litigators in London. Calm, measured, legally and strategically astute, allied to being incredibly approachable and commercial. I also use their New York team spearheaded by the brilliant David Molton and Cameron Moxley – my go-to US litigators!’
‘Jessica Lee, who is forging a reputation in digital assets disputes, is someone who I really rate.’
Recovery Partners G.P. Limited and Revoker LLP
Various Investors v RSA Insurance Group Limited
Mr Gilles Guerin
Group of Shareholders v Barclays Plc
Group of Shareholders v Standard Chartered Plc
- Acted for the claimants in this matter which concerns the unlawful diversion of a business opportunity to provide services to members of the surviving family of the deceased Georgian billionaire Arkadi Patarkatsishvili, whose estate came under attack in the period following his unexpected death in 2008 from various individuals including Boris Berezovsky and Joseph Kay and from the Georgian government.|
- Acted for a group of 72 institutional investors against RSA Insurance Group Limited (“RSA”) in claims under section 90A of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. The group claims damages in excess of £150 million arising from their reliance on alleged untrue and misleading statements and omissions in the defendant’s published information, alternatively alleged dishonest delay in publishing relevant information.
- Acted for an individual defendant accused of fraud, conspiracy, and money laundering in the context of a grand corruption case concerning the Kuwaiti state pension fund. The underlying facts are the subject of criminal and civil investigations and proceedings in Switzerland, Kuwait and England.
Lawyers at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner work in close tandem with the firm’s wider regulatory, white-collar crime, investigation and tax teams to support on a wealth of complex, cross-border matters. The offering is helmed by Segun Osuntokun, a key port of call for state governments and entities, multinational conglomerates, financial services players, high-net-worth individuals, and energy and natural resources companies; he is distinctly well-versed in matters involving Africa and other developing countries, and is supported by investment fraud specialist, Andrew Tuson.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Tuson; Graham Shear
‘The team demonstrated to me over the 18 months of work that they were completely trustworthy and only had my best interests at heart. They were constantly trying to de-escalate a dispute which had the potential to result in multi-year litigation. I benefited from their clear depth of experience of this type of work.’
‘BCLP is well known and obviously up the standard of a leading city firm of solicitors.’
‘Andrew Tuson Calm, thoughtful and incisive. Extremely committed for his clients and very sensible. A pleasure to work with him.’
‘Exceptional strength right across the board – no weaknesses as a team. They manage to combine technical excellence with superb judgement.’
‘Andrew Tuson – technically gifted lawyer with excellent judgement who is a pleasure to work with. Segun Osuntokun – a complete class act. All round brilliance.’
BGC Partners Inc.
Wallshire Limited, Rosestar Properties Limited and Kingstar Limited
- Representing the Asturion Fondation – a foundation established to hold assets on behalf of the Saudi royal family – in highly contested proceedings for the recovery of an ultra-high value property portfolio including property in London. This case was identified this year as one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases.
- Successfully advised Vatche Manoukian on his battle with two Lebanese banks who have been ordered by the court to transfer Mr Manoukian’s personal funds out of Lebanon. Our firm continues to act for Vatche Manoukian in this ground-breaking case which was also one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases.
- Representing BGC Partners – in respect of large-scale frauds perpetrated on BGC Partners by rogue employees.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP excels in pursuing and defending a broad spectrum of cross-border fraud actions, including those with freezing orders, injunctions and search orders. The team, which caters to businesses, central banks, regulators, governments and professional advisers, is especially acclaimed for its work within the crypto, digital assets and technology sectors. Practice head Stewart Hey and Charlotte Pender are both also accomplished within the banking space, meanwhile Caroline Greenwell is likewise noted for her retail, consumer and leisure know-how.
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte Pender; Rhys Novak
‘A good team with strong experience in civil fraud and broader commercial litigation.’
‘Rhys Novak is excellent. He is very commercial and gets right to the heart of what the client cares about. Abigail Rushton is an associate who operates at a very high level – she is capable of running files by herself to great success.’
‘I really like working with the CRS team. On top of their undoubted technical abilities they bring a warmth and strong sense of enjoyment to the client-solicitor collaboration. They are also highly commercial.’
‘Stewart Hey, Charlotte Pender and Caroline Greenwell are the partners I have worked most closely with. They are all steely individuals when a firm approach is required; yet commercial and receptive when a non-contentious resolution is the more appropriate way forward. They all display the good characteristics I describe under the Team heading above.’
All absolutely superb, incredibly well-connected and are a real pleasure to deal with at all times. A very classy firm.’
Central Bank of Bahrain
Ooredoo Q. s.c
Aldemore Bank plc
Guy Colegate, former employee of Shell
Estate of Pouncey
Bilta (UK) Ltd
- Retained by the Bilta (UK) Ltd group of companies and their appointed liquidators on the retrial of this landmark fraud case.
- Defending the client, the co-founder of one of the first bespoke data centre businesses, who was the victim of a high profile and complex fraud perpetrated by twice-convicted fraudster Dr Gerald Smith and others.
- Successfully acted for a former employee of a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell, which, together with ENI, was alleged to have engaged in international bribery and corruption in respect of a 2011 settlement of various disputes concerning the rights to a deepwater oil block off the coast of Nigeria.
At Enyo Law LLP, keystones of the practice include allegations of wrongdoing and dishonesty, applications for interim remedies, asset recovery, and the securement and enforcement of judgements and awards. Edward Allen serves as team head and often represents banks in addition to corporations, high-net-worth individuals and state institutions; he is supported by cross-border fraud expert, Konrad Rodgers, who leverages distinct expertise in Russian and CIS-related proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Konrad Rodgers; Jonathan Pagan; Richard Levett; Lucinda Orr
‘Incredibly knowledgeable, astute and responsive, as well as delightful to work with. An absolute go-to, conflict-free litigation team.’
‘Edward Allen is a stand-out. Wise beyond his years and indefatigable.’
‘Enyo has a dynamic and first-class disputes practice, complete with its own in-house business intelligence team. While I am counsel, I have worked closely with Enyo and the lay client and seen first-hand Enyo’s efficiency, flexibility, and client care. It is the complete package.’
‘Konrad Rodgers is a stand-out partner who is distinguished by his responsiveness, efficiency, and superb legal instincts. He is highly collaborative and works closely with all of the counsel team, and is always available.’
‘A strong boutique, very responsive to clients.’
‘Konrad Rodgers really takes a case to heart, thinking about it and the next lesson or step around the clock. Well-connected and with good experience, and very easy to work with. A very practical fraud partner.’
‘An excellent team – one of the best for complex litigation in the Commercial Court.’
‘Lucinda Orr – a star partner with a phenomenal work output and amazing skill at managing sophisticated litigation and clients.’
(1) Banco Comercial Portugues S.A. (BCP) and (2) United Bank for Africa PLC (UBA)
St John’s Trust Company (PVT) Limited
Michael Viney and Hallelujah King
The Joint Receivers of Pyne Holdings Limited (in receivership), a New Zealand company (PHL) – Neale Jackson and Natalie Burrett (both of Calibre Partners, NZ’s leading restructuring and business advisory firm)
Rusnano group (including Fonds Rusnano Capital SA and Management Company Rusnano LLP)
Vegesentials Limited & Fibrewater Limited
Caroline Black and David Hughes
Cordic Group Limited (CGL)
- Representing Banco Comercial Portugues and United Bank for Africa in all aspects of claims they have brought against the Republic of Mozambique in the Commercial Court, seeking payment under sovereign guarantees given by the Republic in respect of more than US$2bn in financing, or damages for losses following default under the loans secured by those guarantees.
- Acting as lead global counsel for a Ukrainian businessman in his defence of a series of claims, including the orchestration of a fraudulent scheme to misappropriate $5.5bn from the Bank, brought by Ukraine’s largest commercial bank, PrivatBank.
Fieldfisher’s team is noted for its prowess for fraud claims relating to novel asset classes, including crypto. The team, which spends a large portion of its caseload working on matter pertaining to the CIS and Ukraine, is adept in both civil and criminal proceedings and is headed by Tony Lewis; he brings to bear over 25 years of experience in acting on fraudulent conduct, asset recovery, corruption and money laundering matters, among others. The team was strengthened by the arrival of dual-qualified (England & Wales and India) Priyanka Kapoor, who joined the firm in July 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Lafferty; Priyanka Kapoor
‘Fieldfisher’s fraud team is exceptional. They have a very profile in the fraud market. They successfully represented Igor Kolomoisky in the claim brought against him by PJSC Tatneft, and they are now representing him in the claim brought by Privat Bank.’
‘The team were both subject and legal experts. They understood the industry specific issues as well as relevant legal framework to assist us with the potential suit.
‘They were also extremely responsive despite there being a 7-8 hour time difference.’
‘Strengths – very responsive, knowledgeable, connected and fee-conscious.’
‘The team is superb. Led by Tony Lewis.’
‘Our case is very complex and includes a huge amount of documentation, which Fieldfisher has had electronically catalogued using the most up-to-date technology. The team’s attention to detail is outstanding.’
‘I would like to particularly mention Tony Lewis, partner, his leadership skills are excellent, and his team selection very skilful.’
‘A very professional team, who do a thorough job, seeing the bigger picture but also sweating the small stuff. Perhaps most importantly, really nice guys to deal with.’
Mr Igor Kolomoisky (Privat Bank)
Mr Mohamad El Ghazzi
David Standish and James Bennett of Interpath as joint liquidators of Argyle UAE Limited
Colin Hardman and Finbarr O’Connell as liquidators of The Wine Enterprise Investment Scheme Limited
MBI Holdings Limited
Leo Services Holdings
Justus von Buchwaldt as administrator of AS German Property Group GmbH and related entities
Igarreta Maquinas S.A.
Ludger Wehry GmbH
Talwinder Hayre, Kavanjit Hayre and Hayre Group of Companies
Former Director of Cayman-based Hedge Fund
- Acting for Mr Igor Kolomoisky US$2.6 billion claim and freezing order brought against him by PrivatBank. The case involves over twenty fee-earners and the 13 week trial will commence in June 2023.
- Acting for Mohamed El Ghazzi in a claim worth approximately US$986 million brought by the Kuwaiti Public Institution for Social Security (“PIFSS”). The claim involves complex issues of fraud and is multi-jurisdictional.
- Acting for Suzy Rowe and Hazel Peppercorn in a complex breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duties and negligence claim arising from the sale of two high value pieces of land involving five defendants and a range of allegations that require extensive and specialist expert evidence.
US headquartered with a broad international scope, Greenberg Traurig, LLP boasts a full-service fraud offering, spanning business disputes, sanctions, injunctive relief, investigations and preserve assets. The team is co-helmed by the considerable expertise of Kathryn Garbett, along with Claire Broadbelt who has represented several high value civil fraud cases representing clients from a wide range of sectors including banking, commodities trading and retail; they are joined by Annabel Thomas, a specialist in complex corporate disputes, and Martin Shobbrook , who has considerable experience in multi-jurisdictional asset tracing. Meanwhile, Hannah Blom-Cooper, an expert in contentious insolvency practice, advises on disputes arising from business failures.
Kathryn Garbett; Claire Broadbelt
Other key lawyers:
Masoud Zabeti; Mohammed Khamisa
‘Greenberg Traurig have a fantastic civil fraud team, who can handle the most complex and high profile matters.’
‘Claire Broadbelt is a stand-out partner who is a pleasure to work with. She has great judgment and experience, and is brilliant at leading a team.
‘Strong, personable lawyers with a practical view on resolving issues. Always looking for the solution rather than the problem.’
‘Proper team that play well together and clearly have a strong bond – helps to deliver standout output
‘The team does exceptional work and a strong experience in the civil fraud area. They are on top of the law, quickly get to grips with the facts, and are excel in managing litigation for their clients.’
The Estate of Fahad Al Rajaan
Kingdom of Sweden
The Administrators of Festicket
Tradition Financial Services Limited
Crane Bank Limited
- Defending Mr Bedzhamov, a HNW Russian businessman now located in the UK, in a dispute where Mr Bedzhamov alleges he is the victim of a corporate raid in a GBP 1.34 billion civil fraud proceedings brought by Vneshprombank LLC, a now-insolvent Russian bank where he was an investor.
- Defending the estate of the late Mr Al Rajaan (the anchor defendant) in a fraud claim valued at USD 870 million brought by Kuwait’s pension fund (the Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS)) against the client, its former Director-General, plus a number of banks and intermediaries, alleging bribery and corruption over a 30-year period, and claiming that Mr Al Rajaan worked in concert with the other 40+ defendants to procure secret commissions.
- Instructed by the Kingdom of Sweden through the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) in relation to one of the biggest frauds uncovered in Sweden, including in seeking recovery of EUR 120 million in losses suffered by the Swedish pension savers. This claim involves a complex web of defendants around the world, some of which were based in the UK.
Acclaimed for its representation of foreign governments, corporates, offshore trustees, banks and office holders, Kingsley Napley LLP demonstrates a tenacity for cross-border civil fraud disputes, in addition to related asset tracing and recovery. Richard Foss, who leads the practice, is an expert in fraudulent misrepresentation and financial product claims, whereas Sue Thackeray is a standout name for cases with privacy, data protection and hacking components. Elsewhere, Mary Young notably co-chairs the firm’s crypto-asset group.
Other key lawyers:
William Christopher; Sue Thackeray; Fiona Simpson; Mary Young
‘The team are a cohesive and supportive unit with different personalities and approaches and as a consequence innovative and self challenging. Each are great lawyers at the top of their game for their respective levels. Sue Thackeray is a wonderful lead.’
‘Sue Thackeray – partner – innovative, robust and confident. She knows the law and makes it work to best effect. She works incredibly hard and effectively and has a memory for detail. You could not wish for a better lawyer to have your back.
‘The team has a very strong profile for fraud-related work, and boasts a deep bench of strong and capable partners.’
‘Sue Thackeray is a powerhouse, the most commercially focused solicitors I have worked with who fights fearlessly to promote her client’s interests and gets great results.’
‘Mary Young is a real rising star, very capable fraud lawyer with a bright future.’
‘William Christopher is user-friendly and highly competent.’
‘This is a very strong team and benefits from the synergy which the firm has in having strong cross-departmental ability and experience.’
‘The breadth of their service line and experience across the teams.’
Surge Financial Ltd and Paul Careless
Stephen Doran as liquidator of Trafalgar Multi Asset Trading Company
- Acting for James Buchanan as a defendant to part of the wide-ranging and complex case brought by Ras Al Khaimah (which also involves Neil Gerrard and Dechert) involving allegations of hacking, torture, misuse of private information, conspiracy to injure, unlawful means conspiracy and perjury.
- Defending Surge Financial Ltd and Paul Careless in a multi-million pound claim involving serious allegations of fraud against the clients.| |The case requires us to advise on Insolvency Act applications, proprietary injunctions/freezing orders, criminal restraint orders and the criminal case being pursued by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO).
- Acting for Stephen Doran as liquidator of Trafalgar Multi Asset Trading Company as claimant in a multi-million pound claim to recover the proceeds of a pension fraud.
Macfarlanes LLP comes highly regarded for its work on matters which combine corporate/commercial, financial institution, private wealth and international elements. The practice is led by James Popperwell who enjoys an in-depth knowledge of freezing orders and other forms of urgent relief. Recently promoted partner Chloë Edworthy provides the team with strong ties to the German, Swiss and Austrian markets.
Other key lawyers:
Chloë Edworthy; Nikolas Ireland;
‘A combination of really excellent partners and diligent and enthusiastic associates gives confidence that the case is in safe hands.’
‘Fraud-related matter is definitely their field and they are the first choice when we have a matter of such type, especially on a global scale. The team is extremely good and possess deep understanding on how to apply the available instruments in a client’s case. What is even more valuable, they look into the matters from commercial standpoint and provide a fair assessment whether a case is worth the efforts.’
‘We worked with Nikolas Ireland – his promotion to the partner is very well deserved. One of the top commercial litigators we have encountered.’
‘Macfarlanes have always produced quality advice across all levels. I’ve continued to work with Nik Ireland and he continues to provide excellent advice’
‘Nikolas Ireland is a superstar with a commercial and pragmatic approach and the ability to explain issues succinctly and clearly. A well deserved elevation to partner.’
‘James Popperwell is a knowledgeable and strategic fraud practitioner who has consistently been involved in some of the biggest cases in the market.’
‘A leading civil fraud firm. Extremely knowledgeable, able to handle the most complex of matters, driven to deliver excellent results.’
‘James Popperwell: knows everything and everyone and how to get results.’
VTBE (“Tuna Bonds”)
Enigma Diagnostics Limited
Primekings Limited, Robin Fisher, Geoff Zeidler, Barry Stiefel
British Bankers’ Association
Better Capital LLP
Business Growth Fund
- Acting for two corporate clients in successfully obtaining a worldwide freezing order in the sum of over $100m against a Ukrainian businessman in support of LCIA arbitration proceedings. The matter concerns the collapse of a major Ukrainian bank caused by a serious fraud and the misappropriation of over $1b.
- Advised VTB Bank Europe in the $4bn “Tuna Bonds” litigation, including succeeding in an application for separate representation from its co-claimant subsidiary in a departure from long-standing authority on that topic.
Lawyers of Norton Rose Fulbright leverage the firm’s expansive international footprint to support on multijurisdictional fraud and asset tracing mandates, including those with insolvency, cyber-fraud, white-collar crime, corruption and bribery. Harriet Jones-Fenleigh is an expert in civil fraud disputes, worldwide freezing order applications, and proprietary injunctions, whereas James Lockwood is noted for his track record across a wealth of banking-related matters. The practice is co-led by Patrick Bourke and Ruth Cowley.
Patrick Bourke; Ruth Cowley
Other key lawyers:
Radford Goodman; Antony Corsi; Katie Stephen; James Lockwood
‘Strong team that is able to progress multiple challenging work streams. They work collaboratively and efficiently. They are a good humored bunch and are a pleasure to work alongside.’
‘A very able team at all levels, and exciting junior partners’
‘James Lockwood is a new partner who is outstanding and a future star’
‘James Lockwood is utterly outstanding and, although a newly made-up partner, has the qualities of the most seasoned of litigators. He’s extremely bright, and an excellent lawyer; he’s has a vice-like grip on the details of the case while never losing sight of the big-picture; he’s tactically astute; and he’s a delight to work with. Clients love him. He’s utterly first-rate.’
‘Depth of expertise and ability to run well resourced litigation efficiently’
‘Highly experienced financial services regulatory team combined with astute commercial litigators.’
‘Anthony Corsi – a top class litigation heavyweight.’
‘The top of the ticket individuals at Norton Rose – i.e. partners and senior associates – are highly impressive, user-friendly and a delight to work with. I have worked with Antony Corsi and Jonathan Ball’s team for nearly five years and the senior associates (I have experience of working with three of them so far) have always been top class. In my view this is key to good work product and running disputes efficiently.’
Orange Liberia, Inc.
Emirates NBD Bank
Citibank N.A. and Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd
- Acting for Orange Liberia in a high profile conspiracy claim which was one of the Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases for 2022.
- Acting for HSBC in two related complex billion pound and hundred million pound group action fraud claims.
- Acting for Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd on claims following a USD650m Sukuk (Islamic bond) default.
Peters & Peters Solicitors LLP caters to a mixture of governments, international corporates and high-net-worth individuals, supporting them across an array of complex, multidimensional cases. The practice is led by Jonathan Tickner , a lawyer with over 20 years’ experience in cartel, fraud and large-scale damage claims.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Gabriel; Keith Oliver; Vlad Meerovich
‘Peters & Peters are top dogs when it comes to civil fraud work. They are commercial, realistic, sensible and fight very hard for their clients.’
‘Keith Oliver is an absolute legend in the civil fraud field and his litigation instincts are unfailingly correct. He is a calm and reassuring presence for clients in their darkest hour.
‘Jonathan Tickner is a commercial litigator at the top of his game. What he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing, but fortunately he knows everything.’
‘The Peters & Peters team has been exceptional to work with. The cases are staffed appropriately, and handled by excellent practitioners at every level. Partner Keith Oliver is a well known attorney, who gives each case his all–throwing himself into everything. Partner Jonathan Tickner is a brilliant strategist, who thinks outside of the box and takes a thorough approach to solving problems. Working with the Peters & Peters team is like working with an all-star cast: they are consummate professionals at the top of their game.’
‘The main differentiator for Peters & Peters is their overall knowledge and individual attention. The team always focuses on the problem at hand, works through the array of possible solutions, and ultimately picks the most appropriate path while making the decision tree plain. The team is always transparent, takes suggestions, and deftly handles matters to achieve perfect results. The matters always seem perfectly staffed, both in terms of expertise and efficiency.’
‘We have full confidence in the ability of Peters & Peters and always feel safeguarded and well protected.’
‘The Peters and Peters civil fraud team is superb. I have worked with many teams, and none better than this one. They have a wealth of experience, fantastic tactical ability, an in-built efficiency and are a delight to work with. They are absolutely at the top of their field.’
‘I would mention Vlad Meerovich for his outstanding dedication and commitment to the case.’
Comprising a large specialist team, RPC is well-equipped to take on complex and multi-jurisdictional cases. With notable experience in Russian/FSU fraud disputes, the firm is developing innovative approaches to crypto fraud and asset recovery. The team is led by Tom Hibbert , a noted expert in African jurisdictions, large-scale corruption and unlawful asset-stripping cases and bolstered by the knowledge and experience of Jonathan Cary , a specialist in banking and finance disputes. Chris Ross represents several high-net-worth individuals in multi-jurisdictional cases, and Parham Kouchikali leverages his experience in the banking sector acting for several high-profile corporate clients and financial institutions. In addition, Alan Williams draws upon his considerable knowledge of asset recovery, cross-border disputes and international arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
Dan Wyatt; Tim Potts; Jonathan Cary; Chris Ross; Parham Kouchikali; Alan Williams
‘The team at RPC is excellent. They have a real depth of knowledge in civil fraud, banking and international arbitration. Their banking and civil fraud practices overlap offering real synergies between the two areas.’
‘We contacted the RPC team based on their strong reputation in commercial dispute cases. The team came highly recommended by other lawyers and were quick to connect us with the appropriate partner to lead the case.’
‘RPC has a very experienced civil fraud team, with strengths at all levels. It is particularly good at looking at unexplored angles, legal and factual, which can unlock the case. The team is highly motivated and hard-working.’
‘This is a large, but very approachable team – everyone pulls their weight and they are particularly strong at gearing up and resourcing for big matters.’
‘Dan Wyatt is an excellent junior partner, well versed in all matters of fraud litigation and particularly strong in crypto work. He’s flying in the fraud and crypto arenas and is profiling amazingly for someone of his level.’
‘Parham Kouchikali is excellent to work with and provides a tier one service to his clients: he is thoughtful, hard-working and strategically minded. He runs a brilliant team of associates, barristers and experts.’
Federal Government of Nigeria
Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited
Loreley Financing (Jersey) No. 30 Limited
Bank St Petersburg
Libra Holdings Limited
Apollo Ventures Co Ltd
Hua She Asset Management (Shanghai)
- Represented the Federal Republic of Nigeria in its claim against JP Morgan (JPM), arising out of the bank’s role in transferring $875 million to a company, Malabu Oil & Gas Limited, which was the vehicle for a disgraced former Nigerian Minister of Petroleum, Chief Etete, pursuant to a fraudulent and corrupt scheme relating to the acquisition of an oil prospecting licence (OPL 245) by the oil majors Shell and Eni for the sum of $1.3 billion.
- Representing Siam Commercial Bank Company Ltd in its defence of Commercial Court proceedings brought by a Thai businessman (and his associated companies), currently living in political exile in France. The US$2 billion claim arises from the sale of the claimants’ majority interest in a Thai group of companies specialising in largescale wind energy projects.
- The team acts for the Ukrainian billionaire businessman Kostyantin Zhevago in relation to claims arising from the insolvency of Bank Finance and Credit (BFC) brought by the UK incorporated company WWRT Limited (WWRT). WWRT alleges that it has claims against Mr Zhevago under certain loans assigned to it from the Deposit Guarantee Fund of Ukraine.
Signature Litigation LLP is often engaged on matters spanning multiple jurisdictions, with the recent caseload showcasing matters across Australia, Greece, France and China, in addition to a plethora within Eastern Europe. The practice is spearheaded by Graham Huntley, a lawyer with a particularly formidable reputation within the banking sector, and is also home to acclaimed names such as Ioannis Alexopoulos and Kate Gee.
Other key lawyers:
Ioannis Alexopoulos; Julian Connerty
‘The ability of Signature to come on board mid-case, take over, synthesize, absorb and put together a comprehensive defence, witness statements and deal with an aggressive claimant firm was top-notch.’
‘As individuals with no prior involvement in litigation, their ability to manage us and take us through the process was extremely valuable. They were also brilliant in their billing – working with us on innovative billing techniques so that we would be able to fund our case through the entire trial (which I now understand is incredibly expensive).’
In terms of partners, Julian Connerty was the senior most partner working on our case – very good grasp of the law, seeing the entire picture between the claimant, judge, and various defendants. An experienced senior partner who has been there, seen it, and effectively took us through the case.’
‘The Signature team are small but perfectly formed with only the highest quality lawyers involved. This means that they are efficient and effective. Not surprisingly, the largest and most prestigious clients are content to trust them.’
‘Ioannis Alexopoulos – Strategic thinker.’
‘Signature offers an outstanding bespoke litigation service for clients. It has a compact and dynamic approach to creating a team for a case that is able to deliver the highest quality product efficiently and competitively. They are also ahead of the curve on technology.’
‘Julian Connerty is a seasoned litigator with an excellent antenna. He is calm, collected and not easily ruffled. He has a great sense of what matters and how things will play out. Clients are in the most capable of hands.’
Cellcom Telecommunications Ltd
Georgian Co Investment Fund
Privinvest companies and Mr Iskandar Safa
Former executive management of Wind Energy Holdings Limited
- Representing Georgian Co Investment Fund in relation to allegations of wholesale and serious fraud and dishonesty by individuals within the elite fund management business within Credit Suisse, in part relying on criminal convictions that have already been sustained by the lead Credit Suisse employee in Switzerland.
- Representing Privinvest and Mr Safa in a high-value (Over USD 2 billion) and hard-fought Commercial Court Claim brought by the Republic of Mozambique against Credit Suisse, Privinvest and others. The claim has complex geopolitical ramifications in Mozambique and around the world and involves complex and novel issues regarding state immunity.
- Representing Mr Michael O’Neill seeking significant damages for fraud and unlawful conspiracy against Avic International Holding Corporation. The claim relates to GBP 5 billion worth of Chinese investment into Europe by Avic and will have implications on the way inward investment opportunities are marketed in the UK and in Europe to large sovereign wealth funds from China and other acquisitive states.
A specialist litigation firm, Stewarts Law LLP directs its focus towards large scale investigations and recovery matters, acting on behalf of both corporates and governments, in addition to high growth cyber market disputes and insolvency, tax and trust-related matters. Practice head Mo Bhaskaran is instructed from clients across a varied array of industries including technology, energy, health, manufacturing and financial services.
Other key lawyers:
Marc Jones; Pia Mithani; Alex Jay
Mark McDonald and Hugh Dickson of Grant Thornton acting as the joint liquidators of Stanford International Bank Ltd
Group action v Glencore Plc (FL-2022-000025; FL-2022-000026)
David Standish of Interpath Advisory and Russell Crumpler of Teneo (joint liquidators of Exential Investments Inc)
Kijani Resources Limited (in liquidation)
- Acting for the liquidators of Stanford International Bank in claims following the collapse of one the largest and most notorious Ponzi schemes in history. Our claims are against HSBC seeking to recoup some of the vast losses suffered on a variety of bases including the developing area of law around banks’ Quincecare duties.
- Representing multiple large financial institutions who purchased Glencore plc shares in 2011 before the company was exposed for large scale global bribery and corruption.
- Acted for 9 Defendants to a very large civil fraud claim which is being brought by SKAT (the Danish tax authority) against around 120 Defendants arising from dividend withholding tax reclaims made by various entities and paid out by SKAT between 2012 and 2015. SKAT’s claim is for in excess of £1.6 billion. SKAT claims that the withholding tax reclaims were fraudulently made.
Lawyers at Travers Smith LLP often work in close tandem with the firm’s wider anti-bribery and corruption group to provide a full service offering across a wealth of local and multijurisdictional cases. The practice is led by Rob Fell, who enjoys a prominent track record within the banking and finance space, and is also home to Toby Robinson who has led on a number of high-profile FCA, SOCA and SFO cases.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew King; Toby Robinson; Stephanie Lee
‘Rob Fell is absolutely superb, and runs a team on a big case beautifully. He’s an incredibly clever, is one of the most experienced financial services litigators in the market, and has a detailed knowledge of both the industry and the law in this area. He’s a terrific strategist, and a brilliant negotiator. He’s perfect for any really tough financial services dispute.’
‘They are an extremely experienced team that knows how to handle big commercial litigation.’
‘The firm combines intense hard work, to a high quality, with a calm and reassuring approach, both to team members and to clients. This seems to come from a firm but relaxed management style, which instils confidence within and outside the team.’
‘What I value the most about the team is that they make you feel like they really care about you as their client. They also think carefully about your best interests. They engage as a team and work very closely together. Their work is excellent and their advice is based on reliable analysis. You always know who is working on your case and they are all visible and engaged.’
‘Excellent team, great partners, real strength in depth of associates as well. Always a pleasure to work with’
‘Very well-resourced, extremely clever lawyers, committed, hands-on, great industry knowledge.’
‘Rob Fell – fantastic knowledge and experience, very good with clients, reassuring. Lucy Jay – so clever, brilliant drafting, leaves no stone unturned, a pleasure to work with.’
With its 13-partner strong team, Addleshaw Goddard deals with a wide range of civil fraud claims, from initial investigations right through to enforcement and recovery matters, securing its wide range of international and high-calibre clients. The team is headed by experienced lawyer Mark Molyneux, highly qualified in acting before the English High Court. Partners include the well-regarded Simon Kamstra , renowned for settling energy, international trade and aviation related arbitrations and Maria Frangeskides, CEDR accredited mediator. In addition to Lauren Hamilton, notorious tech expert and Jon Tweedale known for settling commercial and, more specifically, energy related disputes.
Mark Molyneux; Bill Gilliam
Other key lawyers:
‘Addleshaws has an excellent civil fraud practice, sitting within its first-rate disputes practice.’
‘Mark Molyneux, head of the disputes practice, is a standout operator. He is one of the UK’s best. Co-heading the civil fraud practice,’
‘Maria Frangekides is an experienced practitioner. Amongst the recent partners, Mark Chesher and Natasha Winter stand out in this practice area.’
‘The Addleshaw Goddard fraud team are excellent lawyers. Brilliant with clients, tactically astute and a real pleasure to work with. They see the important points and make good strategic decisions.’
‘Mark Molyneaux is extremely experienced. He is clever and has excellent judgement. Alex Hogarth is clever, has excellent strategic sense and is really personable – a pleasure to work with.’
‘Addleshaw Goddard’s civil fraud team is a standout practice. Maria Frangeskides is an exceptional commercial operator and a fierce advocate for her clients, no matter how difficult the case or how complex the circumstances.’
‘Maria Frangeskides: promotes her clients’ cases with total dedication at every juncture, and with a fierce intellect.’
‘Natasha Winter: great team player and eye for detailed points.’
Soteria Insurance Limited (formerly CIS General Insurance Limited)
British International Investment plc (formerly CDC Group plc) and Michael Turner
Lidl Great Britain Ltd
Tagco BC and Waterland Private Equity Fund VI CV
Langston Corporation and Mr Samir-Georges Hammam
Dassault Aviation SA
Sanne Group Nominees 1 (UK) Limited
- Acting for Soteria Insurance Limited (formerly Co-op Insurance) against IBM in its successful appeal on the correct interpretation of an exclusion clause, leading to CA increasing the award at first instance from £13million to £80.5million (before interest and costs).
- Acting for CDC and Michael Turner defending a $200m Commercial Court claim brought by Crane Bank Limited (a Ugandan bank) for unlawful means conspiracy, dishonest assistance and knowing receipt alleged to arise from the acquisition of Crane Bank’s assets by DFCU Bank Limited (DFCU).|
- Acting for Waterland, an international private equity group headquartered in the Netherlands, in successfully defending unfair prejudice proceedings brought by numerous petitioners in relation to Waterland’s first UK investment, Gas Tag Limited.
The team at Bird & Bird LLP is well versed in dealing with civil and criminal fraud related matters, conducting discrete investigations from crypto and data breaches to bribery, asset tracing and recovery. Sophie Eyre, acclaimed practice head, specialises in ancillary relief applications to preserve documents and assets, as well as issues surrounding the theft and misuse of trade secrets; she is also particularly knowledgeable about the trust issues that arise from fraud claims. The team is also home to Simona Peter, who acts for both defendants and claimants and holds expertise in asset recovery and freezing orders, and Russell Williamson who acts for high-profile clients within the sports, media, retail & consumer and automotive sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Simona Peter, Russel Williamson, Sam Beer
‘Very experienced, very engaged, very helpful support in big cases.’
‘Russell Williamson is a stand out senior associate and extremely reliable.’
‘Sam Beer is a brilliant associate and very hardworking.’
XY ERS LIMITED
Chenco Chemical Engineering and Consulting GmbH
Bart de Laender
MFT (PTC) Limited
Rubikon Shipping Company
Aser Media Pte Limited
Contingent & Future Technologies Limited
- Acting for a Defendants 2-12 in proceedings: Tulip Trading Limited v Bitcoin Association and 15 Others. This is the leading case in the English Courts on crypto disputes, and is currently awaiting judgment from the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for the trustee of a Cayman Island Trust in the context of a high profile fraud litigation commenced by PJSC National Bank Trust against Boris Mints, Igor Mints, Alexander Mints, Dmitry Mints, Vadim Belyaev, Evgeny Dankevich, Michaeil Shishkhanov and client MFT (PTC) Limited.
- Acted for a large telecommunication provider who has been the victim of a fraud by a UK entity relating to wholesale SMS data traffic.
Clyde & Co
Underpinned by an international network of offices, Clyde & Co is regularly engaged on a host of internal and external investigations worldwide, representing some of the largest corporates and insurers operating in a range of sectors; from trade and energy to aviation and professional services. The global regulatory and investigations practice is chaired by Fergal Cathie, noted for his capabilities in regulatory investigations and malpractice claims, particularly in the legal and financial services sectors, and John Whittaker, who possesses ‘deep and genuine understanding of commercial law and the business of their industry clients’. Other key figures at partner level include regulatory and financial crime specialist Charles Kuhn. Rachel Cropper-Mawer is proficient in internal investigations, and has experience within the insurance industry.
John Whittaker; Fergal Cathie
Other key lawyers:
Charles Kuhn; Rachel Cropper-Mawer; Sabina Cehajic
‘John Whittaker – super-experienced, bright, hands-on, and thoroughly decent. He inspires trust, from opponents as well as from his own team and clients; and, as a result, is often able to cut through noise and aggression and achieve results that have eluded others.’
‘Innovative thinking, strong team coordination, excellent client service.’
‘John Whittaker – calm, experienced and clear leadership skills. Sabina Cehajic – excellent research, very thorough, with a real expertise in identifying and handling complex issues as to the application of privilege. Will go far.’
Mr Arthid Nanthawithaya and Mr Weerawong Chittmittrapap
E D & F Man Capital Markets Limited
Andrew Tinkler v Esken
Moorgate Industries (formerly of Stemcor)
- Acting on behalf of the defendants, one being the senior partner of a prominent law firm, the other the CEO of Siam Commercial Bank (Mr Arthid Nanthawithaya and Mr Weerawong Chittmittrapap), in a $1.2bn high-profile civil fraud/conspiracy claim on the sale of an energy company in Thailand.
- Acting in civil proceedings by Stichting Vestia against BNP Paribas. This is high profile and high value litigation against an investment bank in respect of financial products, with hotly contested claims involving allegations of bribery and issues of capacity under Dutch law.
- Acting for E D & F Man Capital Markets Limited, in relation to a substantial fraud perpetrated using forged warehouse receipts. Man Capital Markets conducted “repo” trades, involving the sale and possible repurchase of nickel at a future fixed price.
Boutique firm, Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP, boasts a large volume of fraud-related work, handling domestic and multi-jurisdictional matters from corporate and private clients alike. The team is bolstered by the expertise of Sinead O’Callaghan, who specialises in fraud within the financial sector, in addition to Lydia Danon, whose wide expertise extends to crypto. Highly commendable lawyers Natalie Todd and Jon Felce are also integral to the offering.
Other key lawyers:
Sovcomflot company defendants: Cally Shipholdings Inc, Vital Shipping Corporation, Dainford Navigation Inc, Tamara Shipholdings SA, Tuscany Maritime SA, Novoship (UK) Limited
Domidias Limited and Merbau Synergy Limited
Jason Cox and Amaury Sechet
ThinkMarkets (FCA and ASIC-regulated online trading broker)
PL Holdings Sarl (PLH)
Investors in Echosense (a med-tech company)
- Acting for the defendants in a US $91m matter. Now listed for an 8 week trial in 2024 in relation to an underlying fraud and secret profits dispute concerning sex tapes, secret documents and a Conservative peer.
- Acting for Domidias Limited and Merbau Synergy Limited in a substantial cross-border dispute relating to the shareholding of FESCO, Russia’s largest intermodal transportation company. Claims are hard fought in England, BVI and Russia.
- Acting for two defendants in the £4 billion claim brought by Tulip Trading Ltd in relation to the alleged hack of Dr Wright’s home network and theft of private keys for approximately 110,000 bitcoin and related digital assets.
Civil fraud practice Dechert LLP is responsible for settling commercial disputes and multinational investigations into fraud and asset recovery. The practice enjoys a diverse clientele, from sovereign wealth funds and global banks to ultra-high net worth individuals (UHNWI). Team leader Dorothy Cory-Wright possesses expertise in litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution, while partner Adam Silver is experienced in handling cross-border disputes and enforcement actions.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Silver ; Andrew Hearn; Daniel Natoff; Abdul Azeem
The Financial Conduct Authority
British American Insurance Company (BAICO)
Société Générale de Banque au Liban
- Advised Dame Elizabeth Gloster on her independent investigation into the FCA’s regulation and supervision of collapsed “mini-bond” issuer London Capital & Finance plc.
- Representing railway freight tycoon Nikolay Falin in a classic €200m+ Russian oligarch tussle over the ownership of two valuable Russian companies.
- Advising the Judicial Manager of BAICO on the registration and enforcement in Trinidad and Tobago of a $125m judgment for breach of fiduciary duty against BAICO’s former chairman/director.
Led by John Wilkinson, Farrer & Co deals with fraud and asset recovery on an international and domestic basis, attracting high-net-worth individuals across the board. The practice is further enhanced by Adrian Parkhouse , with 30 years’ experience of civil litigation; he is especially well versed in settling disputes within the finance world, as well as the art and heritage sector.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Parkhouse; Jolyon Connell; Gerard Heyes; William Charrington
‘Excellent team with the right balance of seniority tailored to the matter in hand.’
‘John Wilkinson – very experienced commercial litigator, rising above other lawyers in this area. He is extremely creative, swift and it is also very pleasant to work with him.’
‘Top team and excellent commentators – pleasure to work with – wide capabilities which has been very helpful and adds to the efficiency of matters.’
‘Excellent at long term strategic planning for disputes, with a keen eye on reputation management. Plus Farrers have a huge stock of good credit with the judiciary and courts for how they conduct themselves i.e. properly.’
‘Jolyon Connell – I have worked with Joe for 15 years on commercial disputes and civil fraud matters. Really bright, hugely likeable but tough and a very capable negotiator.’
Dr Bavaguthu Raghuram Shetty and his son Binay Shetty
RP Explorer Limited
Energy Plus Limited
Moorhead Holdings Limited
Kenya Power & Lighting Company PLC
Messrs Breytenbach & Moabelo as liquidators of Internet Currency Exchanged Limited
- Advised Ian Pellow in commercial court proceedings in which the Ukrainian state claimed that Mr Pellow and his co-defendants had been involved in a number of schemes to defraud Finance and Credit Bank by channeling US$280 million into companies owned by the First Defendant.
- Advising B R Shetty, the founder of the London Stock Exchange-listed NMC healthcare group family on his defence of multiple sets of high value proceedings brought in the wake of the collapse of the NMC group.
- Advised the Kenya Power & Lighting Company in its review of multiple Power Purchase Agreements following suspected fraud across the energy sector in Kenya.
With offices across the globe, Gowling WLG specialises in asset recovery and anti-corruption affairs. Its portfolio includes a wide range of domestic and cross boarder cases, and, since opening its Brazil office, the team hassecured work with the high-profile public figure Paulo Maluf (former Mayor of Sao Paulo). Catherine Naylor is distinctly knowledgeable in settling commercial disputes, often with a fraud or trusts aspect. In addition, Andrew Witts is noted for his prowess in international asset tracing and has over 25 years experience in multi-jurisdictional cases, while Jason Freedman is well versed in insolvency litigation and asset recovery investigations.
‘The firm has global knowledge to lead complex asset recovery cases. Partners are in general available to be involved in the cases and the team has important cross-border experience’
‘Andrew Witts is a leader in the field of asset recovery and Catherine Naylor is also a leader in complex asset recovery cases.’
‘A very tight ship – no weak links. Very capable of dealing with all different sizes and shapes of litigation.’
‘Catherine Naylor: Very smart and able to make the big calls clearly and calmly – a real pleasure to work with.’
- We continue to be instructed by the liquidators of three BVI companies connected to the former Mayor of Sao Paulo, Mr Maluf, in relation to the large-scale corruption case.
- Acting for Equity Trust and one of its former directors defending £30 million fraud claims in the Chancery Division.
- Pursuing claims against: (i) First Curacao International Bank N.V. (“FCIB”); and (ii) Johannes Christiaan Martinus Augustinus Maria Deuss (“John Deuss”) for a contribution to the claims made in TWPS’ liquidation by a number of companies who committed large scale MTIC fraud using FCIB accounts to do so.
King & Spalding LLP is distinguished for representing well-known corporations, sovereign wealth funds and high-net-worth clients. Working across a diversity of sectors, the team deals with complex fraud cases often involving freezing orders, disclosure orders, asset recovery and enforcement. The team is co-led by Thomas Sprange KC, a noted specialist in complex disputes of a cross-border nature, and Sarah Walker, an expert in large-scale project disputes with extensive experience in the financial services, aviation and IT sectors. Ruth Byrne KC focuses on commercial and investment disputes in the energy and life sciences and industry, while Egishe Dzhazoyan leverages his multi-faceted legal background to advise on disputes containing cross-border dimensions and political risk related matters.
Thomas Sprange KC; Sarah Walker
Other key lawyers:
Aaron Stephens; Ben Williams; Ruth Byrne KC; Egishe Dzhazoyan
‘The team is experienced especially dealing with fraud disputes from the UAE. Very hands on with a lot of partner involvement.’
‘Sarah Walker is extremely knowledgeable and very commercial. She is also excellent at handling difficult clients and has a lot of experience of acting for clients from the UAE.’
‘Exceptionally strong team from the most junior member upwards. Available at any time day or night.’
‘Tom Sprange KC – the best of the best. Would use him for everything if he was available. Sarah Walker – How working partner. Extremely talented.’
‘K&S were on the other side in a major case but I did not really have sufficient exposure to them to express views on the quality of service to their own clients.’
Unidentified Syrian claimants
Libyan Investment Authority
A large London-based firm with several overseas offices, Osborne Clarke LLP deals with complex international, multi-jurisdictional fraud and high value disputes with a particular focus on Middle Eastern and CIS countries. Boasting a large international network, the firm is well positioned to handle high-value and multi-jurisdictional matters; it is also notable for its expertise in the burgeoning field of cybersecurity and online payment fraud. Another key area of focus is bribery, corruption and fraud within the global energy and infrastructure industries, where these matters remain a hot topic. The practice is led by Tom Ellis who represents major accountancy firms, media conglomerates and financial services organizations.
Other key lawyers:
Nick Price; Tom Frapwell; Jonty Langham; Charlie Wedin
‘Really good team which gets on top of the most intractable of problems’
‘Nick Price is a real heavyweight with a great caseload. Tom Frapwell is a stand out “up and comers” amongst the ranks of associates’
‘Heavyweight lawyers who can compete with the very best global disputes practices.’
‘Charlie Wedin is a stand-out performer, notable for his formidable intellect and clear, commercially-focussed advice. Alfred Church is also notable practitioner.’
‘The team is very experienced and well resourced in terms of support staff, international offices and IT infrastructure. They blend well as a team and make sure that tasks are allocated to the appropriate level of staff, resulting in efficient use of resources.’
‘Jonty Langham – senior associate – extremely hard-working associate who involves counsel at just the right points in his cases.’
‘Tom Frapwell – partner – enthusiastic team leader who is very good at leading an efficient and motivated team.’
AITAS Group (Kazakhstan)
Mr Renato Ghittini
Wirecard Technologies GmbH (in administration) and Wirecard Bank AG
BB Energy Group
PricewaterhouseCoopers Channel Islands
Boston Trust Company Limited
Northampton Borough Council
- Acted for one of the defendants, Renato Ghittini, in relation to claims brought in the English court by the Kuwaiti Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS), which is a public authority that runs the Kuwaiti State’s social security system and pension scheme.
- Acted on BB Energy (Gulf) DMCC v Mohammed Al Amoudi and others (Commercial Court), a claim which arises out of losses suffered by our client under oil-trading contracts entered into with a Moroccan oil refinery known as SAMIR in 2015.
- Advising Wirecard, a German bank and technology company. Wirecard Technologies GmbH is currently in administration following a well-publicised accounting scandal. The team also acts for Wirecard as claimant in a fraud claim brought against the private equity firm Greybull Capital and its co-founder Marc Meyohas.
Slaughter and May
Experts on the interplay between civil and criminal fraud, Slaughter and May works in close tandem with its global investigations group to represent major corporates, financial institutions and governments. Leading the practice is Richard Swallow who is joined by Jonathan Cotton, a specialist in disputes involving wrongdoing who regularly advises on extractive frauds, information theft and accounting frauds misrepresentations. Efstathios Michael leverages his knowledge and expertise in commercial litigation and insurance to advise high-profile clients, while Damian Taylor is another practitioner of note, advising leading banks in international arbitration matters. In addition, Peter Wickham provides considerable knowledge in the area of energy and natural resources disputes, and Megan Sandler specialises in commercial dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
Tahlia Brysha-Pullen; Efstathios Michael; Damian Taylor; Peter Wickham; Megan Sandler
‘Expertise, dedication, collaboration.’
‘Amazing profile – and top of the tree for the most demanding civil fraud cases. What sets Slaughters apart is the sheer extraordinarily high quality of lawyers from top to bottom. Would unhesitatingly recommend them.’
‘Jonathan Cotton – brilliant and lovely. Damian Taylor – incredibly talented lawyer.’
Credit Suisse AG, Credit Suisse International and Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited
Former director of Patisserie Valerie
- Acting for Credit Suisse in multiple claims arising from US$2 billion “tuna bond scandal”.
- Advising a former non-executive director of Patisserie Holdings plc (the holding company for Patisserie Valerie) following the October 2018 announcement to the market of material fraudulent misstatements in the company’s accounts.
Bolstered by a strong international network, Taylor Wessing LLP is notable for its industry expertise in technology, media and telecoms, as well as its work in high-profile insolvency cases. Cryptocurrency and blockchain disputes are a growing area of significance, with the firm utilising its substantial tech client base to advise leading cryptocurrency lenders. The practice is co-led by Andrew Howell, a specialist in claims and regulatory investigations and David De Ferrars, known for his outstanding negotiation skills and multi-jurisdictional work. Nick Moser advises on contentious insolvency and fraud claims, with a particular focus on pension issues, and Julian Randall impresses with his considerable experience in claims and regulatory matters within the accounting sector.
Andrew Howell; David de Ferrars
Other key lawyers:
Emma Allen; Nick Moser; Julian Randall
‘David de Ferrars is excellent. Practical, decisive, knowledgeable and engaged. A delight to work with. Jessie Prynne is all over the detail and thinks through a problem really effectively, identifying potential pitfalls before they materialize, and able to avoid them.’
‘The TW team is packed with intelligent and dedicated lawyers who truly roll up their sleeves for their clients. The style is collaborative, which is crucial when dealing with parties like me (i.e., a professional client). The team members bring a diverse range of personalities to the table, which is a refreshing change from the “cookie-cutter” teams seen so often at major firms.’
‘David de Ferrars – a hands-on partner who has seen a lot and brings wisdom, experience and a lot of good humour to the table.’
International logistics company
White & Case LLP fields an ‘outstanding’ team which acts for financial institutions, companies, states and individuals on the claimant and defendant side. Besides its high involvement in cross-border civil fraud disputes, it also regularly supports clients in bringing and defending applications for interim relief, including freezing orders, other orders relating to asset recovery and disclosure, and court orders in support of arbitration proceedings. The group is headed by John Rogerson, who leads the UK civil fraud team, focusing on cross-border litigation and regularly acting for emerging market corporates, as well as EMEA-based financial institutions. Other key names within the team include Charles Balmain, ‘an exceptionally talented litigator’, and David Goldberg, who is noted for his emphasis on CIS-related civil fraud disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Charles Balmain; David Goldberg
‘They are unique, excellent and very professional. They are highly profiled and have a strong position in the area and the market in general.’
‘White & Case provided fantastic litigation support – they were always two, if not three, steps ahead of our opponents.’
‘Charles Balmain – an exceptionally talented litigation partner, with years of experience – a pleasure to work with. I couldn’t recommend him highly enough.
‘Excellent client service, advice quality and strategic thinking.’
‘John Rogerson is a superb lawyer and great strategist.’
‘White & Case are carving out an outstanding niche in the world of crime, fraud and licensing. They combine exceptional partners with sublime associates capable of handling the hardest and most challenging case.’
‘Charles Balmain heads an outstanding team of litigators. Charles is an inspiring leader and delightful to work with in every respect.’
‘John Rogerson – excellent technical lawyer & a pleasure to work with. Keeps his eyes on the prize.’
The Republic of India
The Republic of Mozambique
- Assisting India is challenging the US$150 million Permanent Court of Arbitration award in a dispute against a satellite company, stemming from an agreement the company entered into with the commercial arm of India’s Department of Space, which according to our client was tainted by fraud and illegality.
Regarded as ‘premium quality’, Akin’s civil fraud practice represents a diverse roster of high-profile clients in a broad spectrum of matters, ranging from investment disputes on behalf of investment funds to international asset recovery and enforcement proceedings. The team’s deep strength in the energy sector is additionally bolstered by the expertise of finance lawyers spread across the firm’s vast international network. Practice head Kambiz Larizadeh is a widely regarded litigator and arbitrator, praised for his ‘brilliant tactical mind’, particularly in regard to Russia and Middle East-related cases. Other names to note for civil fraud disputes include newly hired Graham Lovett and Ing Loong Yang, who joined in March and April 2022 respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Graham Lovett; Ing Loong Yang
‘This is a premium-quality civil fraud practice.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh – excellent for big ticket fraud work.’
‘Real strength in depth and an ability to handle the biggest and most high-profile cases.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh – possesses a searing insight yet is unassuming with it. Can communicate with ease with clients, other solicitors and counsel alike.’
‘The Akin Gump team has significant experience of dealing with big ticket, commercial disputes including those with serious allegations of wrongdoing, both for claimants and defendants.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh is an excellent lawyer, highly experienced in commercial fraud cases.’
‘The fraud team at Akin Gump is first-rate. They are experienced litigators who are both efficient and effective, as well as being a pleasure to work with.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh is a real star in the civil fraud field, with a host of experience, a brilliant tactical mind and a wonderful manner with clients.’
The administrators of African Minerals Limited
- Acted for the joint administrators of African Minerals Limited (AML). AML was an AIM-listed company that went into administration in 2015 with debts of approximately US$1 billion. At around the same time as entering administration, Shandong Iron and Steel Group, AML’s former joint venture (JV) partner, effected a security enforcement sale process through which the mine and associated infrastructure was sold to a Shandong affiliate for nominal consideration.
Turned to for its capabilities in both civil and criminal fraud, Bivonas Law LLP is a key port of call for clients ranging from African states, international banks and bankers to high-net-worth Russian individuals. Practice head John Bechelet is a highly experienced litigator, who specialises in both domestic and multi-jurisdictional commercial and civil fraud matters. Other key names include Antony Brown, a prolific advisor, who brings over 30 years of experience to bear on cross-border litigation cases. The ‘brilliant’ Cindy Dorrington is recommended for her expertise in money laundering, business crime, and financial services regulatory proceedings, while Roland Ellis has knowledge of white collar crime.
Other key lawyers:
Cindy Dorrington ; Roland Ellis; Antony Brown
‘One of the few firms that has fraud expertise in both the criminal and civil sphere, meaning that it can easily pivot if the case takes an unexpected turn. A very client focused firm that is well managed and efficient.’
‘Cindy Dorrington is brilliant. She is the steadiest of hands and one cannot help but feel reassured when she is on the team.
‘Great work from Roland Ellis – always on call – crisp, clear advice and super helpful.’
‘Roland Ellis is excellent: super clear advice, concise, and user-friendly.’
‘Exceptionally sophisticated litigators, who are highly experienced with a focus on civil fraud. Whilst the firm consists of a small number of solicitors, they undertake work of the highest quality and are making a real mark in the London market’
‘Standout partner is Roland Ellis – a class act and very commercial and knowledgeable.’
‘Bivonas’s ability to provide sharp and clear advice in complicated cases is outstanding. Packed with a practically oriented approach makes Bivonas a go-to team for civil fraud cases.’
‘John Bechelet is definitely worth noting for his in-depth expertise and excellent commercial knowledge of the sphere gained through decades of practice.’
- Acting for the CEO of a public listed company in administration in relation to a very substantial claim by the administrators involving allegations of fraudulent trading, breach of fiduciary duty, dishonest assistance, constructive trust and knowing receipt.
- Acting for a high-profile businessman and former politician in South East Europe in relation to claims by a Greek bank concerning secured assets.
- Acting for directors of a plc listed on the London Stock Exchange in relation to an internal investigation of alleged fraudulent misconduct followed by proceedings to set aside an issue of new shares for an alleged improper purpose.
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP has a track record of handling complex, high-value civil fraud disputes in the High Court, including acting for victims of fraud, those accused of fraud and for parties seeking to enforce their claims against concealed assets domestically and abroad. The team is noted for its expertise on regulatory issues, particularly in the life sciences, technology, financial services, and energy sectors. Leveraging his international expertise in Europe, Africa and Asia, Ian Hargreaves heads the team, covering both civil and criminal fraud elements. Also integral to the practice is Craig Pollack, whose wide-ranging experience encompasses both cross-border commercial disputes and arbitrations – most recently in the mining and fish conglomerate sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘They provide proper strategy, not process. Clever and astute to protect the clients’ interests.’
‘Very experienced, you really feel that they are on your side. They think through all options and are prepared to think outside the box. Easy to work with.’
‘Incredible depth of knowledge and experience.’
Dag Lars Cramér
- Successfully represented Mr. Cramer, a director of BSG Resources Limited, the anchor defendant in Commercial Court proceedings relating to one of Africa’s biggest mining controversies. Vale, a Brazilian mining giant, sued for $1.85B in damages relating to a joint venture with BSG Resources Limited* to exploit the world’s largest unmined iron ore deposits in the Republic of Guinea.
- Represented Magnus Roth, one of three defendants in a claim of up to U.S.$500M made by Alexander Tugushev for unlawful means conspiracy in the Commercial Court. Mr Tugushev also made allegations of breaches of trust and knowing receipt against Mr Roth.
- Acted for Mr Mkrtchan and his related corporate entities in respect of the high profile Commercial Court claim relating to alleged fraud and misappropriation of funds and assets.
Devonshires Solicitors LLP ’s litigation and disputes resolution practice advises on a broad spectrum of cross-border investigations, fraud, and regulatory work, focusing principally on clients operating in the housing, banking, and private client sectors. The team is led by market veteran Philip Barden , a litigation lawyer highly experienced in the insurance, IT, PFI, and supply chain areas. David Pack is noted for his multi-jurisdictional capabilities within the white collar fraud practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very impressive team of lawyers who between them can offer a fantastic service across both civil and criminal cases, particularly with an international dimension.’
‘David Pack is a standout partner. He brings a wealth of experience, particularly in the international field. He is utterly charming, and clients know from the outset that he will go the extra mile for them.’
‘Devonshires are really starting to make waves in the crime, fraud and licensing space. They have always been well plugged in to local authorities work in this space, but they are increasingly becoming more involved in the private client aspect to civil fraud, acting for companies and HNWIs in respect of civil claims, including ancillary matters such as freezing injunctions, regulatory disputes and extradition.’
‘David Pack – he is smart, tactically shrewd and very hard-working. Clients like him because he is down to earth and has a no nonsense approach to litigation. He doesn’t put up boundaries but seeks to overcome them. His “what’s the problem, what’s the solution” mentality is exactly what busy individuals and companies want to see. I have always been impressed by: how swiftly David responds to unexpected developments; his about to stay well-informed and connected; and his ability to have a varied and diverse understanding of various sectors.’
‘A great understanding of global disputes and corps-border strategy. The teams we worked with a re diverse but focused.’
‘The teams were tailor-made for each car we felt with. Mr David Pack is fantastic, congenial and user-friendly. We unreservedly recommend him.’
Mr Peter Weinzierl / Anglo Austrian AAB Bank (formerly Meinl Bank AG) (in liquidation)
- Instructed by Mr Peter Weinzierl the former CEO of Anglo Austrian AAB Bank (formerly Meinl Bank AG) (in liquidation) concerning allegation of fraud and/or money laundering in respect of the bank’s role in “Operation Car Wash”, the Oderbrecht Brazilian money laundering scandal thatresulted in the President of Brazil, Mr Luiz Ignacio Lula da Silva, receiving a 12-year prison sentence for bribery and corruption and Odebrecht pleaded guilty and agreed to pay USD 3.5 billion settlement.
Edwin Coe LLP is well-equipped to act for claimants in cases of mass fraud and has ‘outstanding’ know-how in claims relating to timeshare fraud and high-profile insolvency matters. The team, spearheaded by David Greene and Ali Zaidi who are specialists in the commercial litigation and insolvency fields respectively, is recognised for its involvement in fraudulent misconduct claims and advising on asset avoidance schemes.
David Greene; Ali Zaidi
Other key lawyers:
Zahira Hussain; Thomas Johnson; Ian Chai; Fred Sheppard
‘Right on the spot with a clear strategy to achieve the final goal.’
‘Ian Chai. Exceptional knowledge well beyond his PQE. David Greene (partner) is a delight to deal with.’
‘One of the firm’s most outstanding qualities is its ability to handle complex issues at the intersection of various fields of law (e.g., corporate and finance) and to use its vast collective experience in solving complex multi-jurisdictional problems.’
‘I’ve had the pleasure of working with David Greene and Fred Sheppard for several years. I was – and still am – particularly impressed by their ability to identify and address quickly the most pressing issues in very complex transactions involving multi-layer corporate structures. And one of the qualities that stands out most is their almost instant availability for discussion of urgent matters despite their significant workload.’
‘Excellent service and results.’
‘Caring, professional, and creative.’
‘David Greene is not just a very fast thinker. A perfect choice if you need to recommend a litigator with the needed sense for economics.’
‘Edwin Coe’s litigation team is both practical and creative, well-versed in the techniques necessary to win cases, they are a brilliant group of highly skilled lawyers. Especially talented in collective, group, mass and class actions, and with a thorough understanding of litigation finance, Edwin Coe is a leading voice in investor disputes, shareholder actions, competition matters, and consumer rights cases. They are deeply committed to their clients’ causes and to their clients’ best interests.’
Fuller Smith & Turner PLC
Lincolnshire Co-operative Limited
MC Rental Limited
Somerset County Council
The Mayor & Commonalty & Citizens of the City of London
Cemex UK Cement Limited
Greene King Brewing and Retailing Limited
Bridgemarts Limited (T/A Gowing & Pursey)
Gap Group Limited
BM Advisory LLP
Sir Alex Ferguson
Conran Holdings Limited
- Advising a group of 150 Claimants in relation to their claim for damages and interest against various truck manufacturers, following a finding by the European Commission of a price-fixing cartel. The Claimants comprise those who bought, leased or subcontracted trucks weighing six tonnes or more between 1997 and 2015. The claim is worth £150m+.
- Representing the Claimants who invested in, and became members of the Eclipse Scheme. The Defendant developed, marketed and implemented the Eclipse Scheme which was sold to the Claimants as an opportunity to invest in transactions with Disney in relation to film rights. The transactions entered into by the Eclipse Partnerships with Disney were a fraud. The value of the claim is £1.3billion. |
- Representing consumers arising from the misspelling of Spanish timeshares. The claim is valued in excess of £8million.
With a track record of representing national and international financial services institutions, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP offers a comprehensive civil fraud practice. Drawing from its international connections, with a presence in over 30 countries, the firm is well-placed to handle complex and high-value civil fraud claims. Neville Byford heads the department with over 35 years’ experience in the field and has recently acted in a multi-jurisdictional trusts dispute. The team is further strengthened by Manchester-based James Southworth , ‘an excellent strategist’ who possesses significant experience in asset tracing and contentious regulatory work.
Other key lawyers:
James Southworth; Tim Browning; Richard Little
‘Eversheds seem to be going from strength to strength at the moment. The litigation team provides a seamless service across multiple offices and jurisdictions. Their next generation of partners are particularly strong.’
‘James Southworth is an excellent strategist and really understands the needs of institutional banking clients.’
‘Depth of expertise and ability to run well-resourced litigation efficiently.’
‘A fantastic team of hardened civil fraud practitioners.’
‘Neville Byford’s international fraud experience is unique, and his strategic and tactical judgment is highly valued in London and around the world.’
The Government of Malaysia and 1MDB
Dubai Islamic Bank (ADGM proceedings)
HSBC – Mercury
HSBC – Ingenious
Pension Fraud (General)
Translux Financing Trust
Barclays Pharmaceutical Limited
Mark Newson Smith
Fladgate LLP is led by Sophia Purkis , who specialises in disputes involving fraud allegations, breach of trust, and misfeasance. With a broad range of dispute resolution services ranging from asset recovery work and civil fraud know-how, clients have come to the firm for assistance in emergency injunctive relief cases. With a considerable global reach, showcased in its many offices in India and the Middle East, the firm has a particular focus on offshore jurisdictions. The recent arrival of Douglas Cherry, a notable figure in the financial service industry with experience in representing FCA-regulated entities, has strengthened the department’s practice.
Other key lawyers:
Douglas Cherry; Tom Bolam; Joel Seager
‘The Fladgate LLP civil fraud team, led by Sophia Purkis, enjoys a superb client base, comprising both of high-net-worth individuals, C-suite company officers and directors, and organisations. They combine top-flight legal advice with an unstuffy approach which ensures a steady stream of referrals and huge loyalty from their client-base.’
‘Fladgate have a market-leading team which belies its small size to punch above its weight.’
‘Sophia Purkis is one of the litigation legends in the fraud sphere – she has out-thought and out-fought countless better-resourced opponents over the years in the fearless pursuit of her client’s interests.’
‘This is a really friendly and inclusive team. They are punching well in all areas and have some great associates coming up too.’
‘I only know and use Sophia Purkis who is simply wonderful. She is not only extremely intelligent but also very experienced and is in no way phased by the games some of the larger law practices adopt. She is also easy to work with and clients really appreciate her services which are charged at a realistic level.’
‘A really good litigation focus firm, with excellent fee earners at all levels. Very commercial in their approach.’
‘Excellent experience in fraud claims – pragmatic and easy to work with.’
‘Sophie Purkis is outstanding. She handles civil fraud and related commercial disputes with great skill, eye for detail and enthusiasm.’
Loudwater Trade and Finance
Ventura Capital GP Ltd
Holy Group Limited
A Group of c1000 SME Claimants
- Represented the Pensée Foundation in The Public Institution for Social Security v. Al Rajaan & Others  EWHC 2979 (Comm), a $1 billion Commercial Court claim. This is one of the most significant pieces of international fraud litigation currently before the English courts.
- Acting for Loudwater Trade and Finance, a global trade and branded goods procurement company, in connection with litigation stemming from a £122 million contract to provide sterile gowns to PPE Medpro.
- Representing Ventura Capital GP Ltd., a venture capital company specialising in pre-IPO technology companies, to bring claims of fraudulent misrepresentation against DnaNudge Ltd., a DNA testing company that developed rapid PCR testing technology during the COVID-19 pandemic.
With a rapidly expanding international reach and its newly opened office in the British Virgin Islands, HFW has bolstered its fraud practice through its close association with experts in Europe, Asia, and Australasia. The firm advises on high-value fraud transactions, cross-border matters and international asset tracing, with standout work focusing on insurance-related fraud within the aviation and shipping industries. Noel Campbell is well-equipped to coordinate financial litigation and trusts matters in offshore territories, and leads the team alongside Rick Brown, who is experienced in Caribbean fraud and breach of contract claims. Simon Jerrum and David Chalcraft are also key practitioners within the firm.
Noel Campbell; Rick Brown
Other key lawyers:
Simon Jerrum; David Chalcraft
‘Broad international experience that helps them run multi-jurisdictional disputes.’
‘The HFW team is experienced, highly competent, and very responsive across all levels of seniority. Communication and delegation between the team is good so service levels are high.’
‘Simon Jerrum is a hard-working, approachable, and strategically astute partner. He gives clear, prompt and decisive advice.’
‘A very experienced and responsive team that will go the extra mile for the client.’
‘Simon Jerrum is sharp, commercial and a pleasure to deal with. Always good instincts on strategy’
‘HFW is completely unique in its proposition, spanning numerous jurisdictions around the world. Very few can match its varied reach and at such scale.’
‘An extremely capable team in civil fraud matters.’
‘Wonderfully diverse and collaborative group of lawyers that always give 110% to every case.’
Quantuma Advisory Limited
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC
- Acting for Quantuma Advisory Ltd in its capacity as the joint liquidators of various BVI and Isle of Man companies in Commercial Court proceedings in connection with the high-profile liquidation of Unicorn Worldwide Holdings Ltd and other companies amid allegations of serious fraud.
- Acting for two partners of Grant Thornton UK LLP, who are the court appointed receivers for Essentro Limited, Emaco Trading Limited, Neodis Limited and Viaven Asia Limited, in enforcement proceedings involving the litigation funder Burford Capital. The claim was originally brought by Barclay Pharmaceuticals Limited against Antoine Mekni and others and involves claims of fraud and misrepresentation.
- Acting for partners at Grant Thornton in their capacity as the trustees of the insolvent estate of Boris Berezovsky.
Keystone Law offers a wide range of services within the fraud and financial crime industries and benefits from its strong coordination with banks and businesses. The team is well-versed in offering advice on matters across the spectrum, including corruption, SFO prosecutions, embezzlement, and disciplinary and regulatory issues. Louise Abbott delivers niche expertise in cryptocurrency fraud claims and the recovery of blockchain assets, while Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs draws from his 30 years’ experience to handle international commercial litigation and insolvency disputes. Chris Willison, a recent addition to the department, contributes to the firm’s success through his impressive track record in advising financial institutions on fraud cases.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Willison; Louise Abbott; Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs
‘The Keystone model works for clients. One sees very engaged partners who know the detail of the matters they are working on, and increasingly, good juniors coming through.’
‘Matthew Hennessy-Gibbs has a wealth of experience in substantial commercial fraud cases which he brings to bear in his matters.’
Paradigm Assets Ltd
Indigo Global Partners Limited (In Liquidation)
Acting primarily for high-net-worth individuals, corporate groups, and government agencies, LK Law LLP‘s dispute team oversees complex and international fraud disputes. The firm often engages in work involving global asset recovery strategies, disclosure orders, and obtaining freezing orders. Andrew Ford leads the department with his expertise in matters concerning banking transactions and derivatives. Elsewhere, Caroline Phipps and associate Adam Flacks are strategically placed to handle civil fraud and corporate fraud matters, respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Phipps; Adam Flacks; Claudia Scherman
‘Caroline Phipps – very diligent and smart, gives excellent and practical advice with real attention to detail.’
‘Andrew Ford – the number one fraud lawyer in town; he has a great reputation. Caroline Phipps is very dependable and superb with clients.’
‘Adam Flacks is excellent.’
‘Andrew Ford: one of the most experienced, sensible and effective commercial litigators in London. Always calls it correctly. A superb leader.’
‘Caroline Phipps: a brilliant solicitor; capable of handling the most difficult and complex cases; always willing to go the extra mile for her clients; a supreme tactician in court.’
‘Caroline Phipps was very helpful and gave us guidance in the work we needed to you.’
‘Andrew Ford is a skilled senior practitioner – you know you are in safe hands.’
‘Claudia Scherman – an associate who has responsibility for the day to day running of a very significant fraud claim; she is energetic and drives the case forward.’
Established in 2020, Seladore Legal is a specialist disputes firm with a focus on civil fraud and asset tracing, money laundering, bribery, corruption, breaches of trust and fiduciary duty. Simon Bushell leads the practice, leveraging 30 years’ experience of acting for private equity houses and financial institutions, banks, corporates and high-net-worth individuals.
Other key lawyers:
Gary Milner-Moore; Gareth Keillor; Kevin Kilgour
‘Agile firm punching well above its weight.’
‘Gareth Keillor brings strength of knowledge and experience to the team’s offering and has excellent judgement.’
‘Great team of very high calibre ex-City form litigators who form a tight-nit and truly superb litigation outfit: quick off the mark and unerring in getting the best result for clients.’
‘Simon Bushell is a star lead partner. Gary Milner-Moore and Kevin Kilgour are litigators of the very highest calibre both for legal advice and litigation tactics.’
‘Seladore are a boutique practice specialising in fraud and bring an enormous skill and experience to that sector in particular at partner level’
‘Simon Bushell brings a career’s experience; and Gary Miler Moore, Gareth Keillor and Kevin Kilgour are immensely hard working, able, insightful litigators.’
‘Superb specialist international civil fraud practice, packed with brilliant litigators who trained and practiced at major City law firms. Feared and respected by opponents with major assignments and cases to its name. Partners run cases from start to finish, working seamlessly and efficiently in lean and focused teams with fantastic juniors and the pick of the commercial Bar. No hierarchies and formalities – a powerhouse in the field of civil fraud litigation.’
‘Simon Bushell is a huge force in the field of civil fraud. Widely known in the market and immensely hard-working, he has seen it all in the world of cross-border fraud, asset-tracing and insolvency. He knows where the bodies are buried and he digs them up ruthlessly. He feared operator, you want to have him and his team in your corner.’
Paul Allen / FRP Advisory
SGS / Ziyavudin Magomedov
Sian Participation Corp (in liquidation) / Hellicorp Investments Limited
A high-net-worth individual
The liquidators of Kidman Asset Management Ltd (in liquidation), a BVI company
A shareholder of a challenger bank
Gulfvin Investment Ltd
- Instructed by one of multiple defendants in relation to the huge multi-party fraud claim brought by the Kuwait Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS), against Fahad Al-Rajaan and others.
- Acting for the-court appointed representative of the Russian bankruptcy manager of a Russian bankrupt, pursuing asset recovery processes to identify, secure and realise assets – a case involving significant civil fraud expertise within a broader insolvency context.
- Acting for companies in the SGS Group in a very high-stakes (US$1bn+), multi-pronged dispute concerning control of a major Russian company, FESCO.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs operates across a broad breadth of disputes including employee, commercial and finance fraud, cyberfraud, international fraud, asset tracing claims and matters pertaining to banking, asset finance and asset-based lending. Stephen Sampson, head of UK litigation, helms the practice which is also home to the ‘exceptional‘ Christian Toms.
Other key lawyers:
‘Christian Toms has been exceptional for us – thoughtful advice, pragmatic and flexible, highly responsive. Feels like one of us, we can trust that he will deal with any challenges that come up as one of our own.’
Bright Station Group
MTech IT Solutions
P&B Foods Ltd
Enreach UK Ltd
Cullum Detuners Ltd
- Acting for Georgi Shulev, a co-founder of the crypto lending business Nexo, in a £1 billion claim against Nexo and its current owners for his unpaid shareholding and other cryptocurrencies owed.
Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP
Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP is headed by cross-border fraud claims expert, Neil Dooley, a lawyer particularly proficient in matters with a Russian element. Key strengths of the practice include cryptocurrency and freezing orders, in addition to proceedings within the financial services, property, pharmaceutical and insurance fields.
Other key lawyers:
Ivan Gordienko; Leigh Mallon
‘A well respected and experienced team with particular emphasis on CIS disputes, often of very high value.’
‘I have worked closely with Neil Dooley on a number of major cases and he is a an excellent lead partner with a wealth of experience on major litigation.’
‘A small London presence belies a really skilled team of clever litigators. They are very agile and quite unlike a traditional US firm in terms of efficiency and value.’
National Bank Trust, a Russian Bank
Hytera, a Chinese radio manufacturer
ALINA R MOISE, UMUT UTKAN AND THOMPSON CROSBY & CO. LIMITED
National Bank Trust, a Russian Bank
Valla PTC Limited (acting as Trustee of the Westline Trust)
- Advising National Bank Trust on English procedural law issues in relation to the Mints Family, Russian oligarchs who moved to England after the collapse of their O1 Group.
- Represented Temur Akhmedov in the post-judgment phase of proceedings brought against him by his mother arising out of his parents’ divorce.
- Represent clients (ALINA R MOISE, UMUT UTKAN AND THOMPSON CROSBY & CO. LIMITED) in proceedings brought against clients by London Partners Capital Management LLP. Clients are defendants in a fraud claim relating to bond trading activities.
Wedlake Bell LLP is home to a number of distinct specialisms, directing particular emphasis towards matters pertaining to contentious and personal insolvency, restructuring, utilities and finance. The team is headed by Frances Coulson , an expert in pre-emptively identifying and countering fraudulent activities.
Other key lawyers:
James Latham; Richard Saunders; Edward Saunders
‘Responsive and good collaboration with clients, fitting well into team working.’
‘Richard Saunders and the team are great technically and are able to explain complex issues in terms that can be understood.’
RSM UK LLP
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Begbies Traynor PLC (numerous offices)
- Advising and representing Paul Cooper and Paul Appleton (Trustees in Bankruptcy of Edward Wojakovski and also Receivers) in numerous ongoing applications in a case involving extraction of c£15 million company assets by the bankrupt.
- Representing a security trustee in a significant investment scheme where the investment companies have entered administration. The team is representing the security trustee in recovering funds and dealing with investigations into waterfall.
- Advising on preparation of £15 million claim against former directors of a Company for diversion of Company funds to connected third parties as part of a fraud against HMRC.
A US-headquartered firm, Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP is naturally active on matters intersecting the US and UK, though also leverages its Paris, Frankfurt and Milan offices to act on Pan-European mandates. The practice, which is home to civil, regulatory, criminal and advisory services, is led by Peter Burrell who leverages a notable track record in High Court, FCA and SFO investigations, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Osborn-King; Jerry Healy; Giles Harvey
‘Peter Burrell, Simon Osborn-King, Jerry Healy and (at the associate level) Giles Harvey are all highly impressive and knowledgeable in this field.’
‘Peter Burrell – driven, determined, very creative on the client’s behalf. Simon Osborn King – strategic, commercial, collaborative Jerry Healy – very clever, able to retain all the detail, and still see the big picture, brilliant at making teams work effectively Giles Harvey – careful and thorough and resourceful.’
‘Giles Harvey is a star in the making.’
‘They are an outstanding alternative to the magic circle firms in London. US headquartered , they have built a very serious London team in this area in a short space of time by very astute lateral hire and rapid promotion. They have the capacity and skill sets to go toe-to-toe with the best, and they never fail to impress.’
‘Peter Burrell is a remarkable litigator and leads his team from the front. He has a prodigious appetite for work displays first class judgement and draws heavily from the very talented team.’
‘The Willkie litigation team has grown rapidly and has a good mix of youth and experience. They bring gravitas of a traditional old school UK firm, but are also entrepreneurial and willing to take on some risk to align with clients in given circumstances.’
‘Peter Burrell is impressive. His command of the detail of very complex cases is exceptional, and he inspires confidence. Jerry Healy is an up-and-coming partner who is very user-friendly and strategic.’
Nopporn Suppipat, Symphony Partners Limited, Next Global Investments Limited and Dynamic Link Ventures Limited
Man Group Plc
MontLake QIAIF Platform ICAV
Buttonwood Legal Capital
- Acted for a high-profile Thai businessman in respect of a claim in excess of $1 billion in the Commercial Court. The case was listed by The Lawyer as one of the top 20 cases of 2022 and is one of the largest fraud trials the Commercial Court has ever heard.
- On behalf of Man Group, a London Stock Exchange-listed investment management business, the team is providing vigorous defence in a multibillion cross-border dispute.
- Acted for Montlake, an Irish investment fund, in leading on and coordinating a multi-jurisdictional enforcement and recovery in respect of an earlier court judgment.
Withers LLP enjoys a track record in a wide array of cases, from those involving cross-border, financial services and trust structure elements, through to its distinct expertise cases relating to art and cultural asset fraud. Stephen Ross, an expert in international asset freezing and recovery matters, leads the practice, often working in close tandem with colleagues in Milan, the US, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stephen Ross – a superb brain, an excellent commercial sense and a practical, calm manner. He’s ideal.’
‘Breadth of knowledge and experience spread over multiple jurisdictions with lawyers at every level and demonstrating linguistic skills’
‘Peter Wood – global head of litigation – a fabulous lawyer who is feathers are never unruffled – always attracts the big cases with the big clients, such as the Vatican case which he is dealing with in the UK
‘An exceptionally capable team with a vast wealth of experience. One of the very best civil fraud teams in London. Tremendously user-friendly and very easy to work with. They have a remarkable track record when it comes to delivering results.’
‘Roberto Moruzzi (partner) has a lifetime of experience in this field and is able to assemble the right people for the job in question. A delight to work with.
‘An excellent team with a significant amount of high value work. The firm also has significant international links, critical for fraud work.’
‘Roberto Moruzzi is very experienced and offers exceptional wisdom when managing cases. There is very little he has not seen before.
‘A heavily experienced commercial litigation and fraud team with strength in depth and a closely cooperative team. Very communicative and easy to deal with.’
Jatin Mehta and family
Barrowfen Properties Limited
Say Chong Lim (and investment vehicles)
Mrs Kalliopi Lemos, Church Bay Trust Company and Mr Roderick Forrest
Transomas Limited and Transomas Investments Limited
Two HNW individuals
Wise Payments Limited
- Acted for the successful Claimants in the case of Lim & Others v Ong and Others  EWHC 321 (Ch). The case involved multiple worldwide freezing orders. The Court found that the Defendants acted in breach of trust, knowing receipt, fraudulent breach of directors duties and more.
- Representing members of an UHNW, high-profile family in a $1billion plus claim involving legal causes of action in civil fraud and insolvency arising out of successful gold, diamond, retail and export businesses.
- Obtained judgment in favour of Barrowfen Properties Limited with findings of fraud professional negligence against Barrowfen’s former solicitors, the Second Defendant, and findings of forgery against its former director, the First Defendant, Mr Girish Patel.
Cooley (UK) LLP
Cooley (UK) LLP's London asset recovery team advises a wide range of private and public entities across a variety of sectors and jurisdictions, with work spread as far afield as the Caribbean, Europe, Asia and Africa. Headed by UK disputes head James Maton, the team's work encompasses insurance, corruption, and debt recovery, amongst others. Other integral team members include Laurence Harris, business litigator Henry Stewart and Sascha Grimm, who leads the firm’s crisis management team.
Other key lawyers:
Sascha Grimm; Laurence Harris; Henry Stewart
Aux Cayes FinTech Co Ltd (trading as OKX)
The Governor and Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI)
Turks and Caicos Islands Government (TCIG)
The DWF economic crime and fraud team offers a host of services, covering fraud prevention, litigation and investigations, while the practice can also draw on the expertise of a team of forensic accountants. Working for clients such as financial institutions, corporations, and high-net-worth individuals, the close-knit team draws on expertise from firm’s national and international network of offices Alongside team head Richard Twomey, Joshua Fineman is another key name in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Joshua Fineman; Darren Kenny; Andrew Leach; Tarik Sharif
‘Joshua Fineman and Richard Twomey are excellent litigators – pragmatic, efficient and with great attention to detail.’
‘Well organised firm. Up to date with laws and egulations. Responsive.’
‘It is always a pleasure to work with Tarik Sharif. He has excellent problem solving skills and is very knowledgeable.’
The DWF Defendants in the SKAT Litigation
Parties involved in Wirecard M&A in litigation
Lutz Assekuranz Versicherungsvermittlung Ges.m.b.H.
Emirates NBD Bank
Flexiscale Limited and Mr Rajinder Basi
The Assam Family Trusts
Scot Smith and Rafax Invest AB
Cerno Professional Services Limited
The Foskett Panel
P1.07 Sports Media and Agency
- Representing the “DWF Defendants” in the long running massive SKAT litigation claiming over £1.5bn as a result of allegedly fraudulent cum-ex-trading.
- Representing two clients in high profile claims arising from the Wirecard collapse.
- Advising a high profile UAE individual and recovering funds from a substantial breach of trust concerning family assets.
Headed by David Butler, Fox Williams LLP's team has expertise in recovering assets that have been misappropriated by fiduciaries and senior executives, especially within alternative and disruptive finance spaces, and employment. Described as ‘a team of experienced and reliable commercial litigators’, Gavin Foggo , and Evie Meleagros, are noted for their experience in cross-jurisdictional cases.
Other key lawyers:
Gavin Foggo; Evie Meleagros; Tom Custance; Rebecca Richardson
‘All members of the team assembled by David Butler are very competent in what they do. Fox Williams were happy to use new technology for the first time that made the engagement a lot easier for all involved.’
‘We really appreciate honest and direct answers. David Butler told us when a matter was not relevant and why. Both David and his team have a very thorough understanding of the law relating to negligent / fraudulent misrepresentation but also knowledge of other relevant law that could (and did) impact our matter. There was a practicality in how they ran the engagement, which was certainly appreciated.’
‘They have a team of experienced and reliable commercial litigators.’
‘Evie Meleagros and Tom Custance are excellent with clients.’
‘The team is efficient and capable at delivering excellent outcomes for a low cost.’
‘Evie Meleagros is a superb partner with an attention to detail and a great tactical sense.’
‘The team at Fox Williams is exactly what a client needs and wants: clear and frequent communications with the client but a firm grip and understanding of the cases. They know when to fight hard and when to hold back.’
‘Gavin Foggo is outstanding – now senior partner. Evie Meleagros is excellent.’
Otaki Holdings Limited
Catering to banks, financial institutions and investment funds, Gateley Legal operates across a broad array of fraud, misconduct and corruption matters, including those with fintech, blockchain, offshore fraud and asset recovery elements. The team is co-headed by Richard Healey and Mark Wilson and is often active in matters pertaining to CIS, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Gibraltar and Singapore.
Richard Healey; Mark Wilson
‘A highly balanced professional team that can offer several strategies for solving complex legal disputes covering several jurisdictions at once.’
‘The peculiarity of this team is that they become not only your reliable business partners, but are also ready to help you with the effective solution of any problems, perceiving them as their personal ones. Special mention should be made of the charisma and legal talent of partner Richard Healey.’
‘The team at Gateley is extremely capable with excellent off-shore knowledge and experience.’
Arkle Finance Limited
Grant Thornton (UK) LLP
Deposit Guarantee Fund of Ukraine (|DGF|)
Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP
Ernst & Young LLP
Grenke Leasing Limited
- Acting for Kroll as trustees in bankruptcy in respect of a sophisticated international fraud perpetrated by Peter Kerkar against the now collapsed Indian travel company King & Cox which resulted in losses of hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Acting for the liquidators of two SPVs which were involved in a complex tax evasion scheme designed to defraud the UK taxpayer out of millions of pounds. The claim is for ~£25m and is against the directors and UBO (a Jersey trust) of the SPVs.
- Acting for a foreign deposit guarantee fund in relation to a £65m fraud claim perpetrated against a foreign bank.
Harcus Parker Limited
Founded in 2019, litigation boutique Harcus Parker Limited represents individuals and companies alike in a range of disputes, acting as both claimants and defendants. Firm founder Damon Parker leverages a prominent reputation within trust litigation, while Jon Beresford serves as practice co-head alongside banking and finance, insolvency and commercial fraud expert, Adam Zoubir.
Jon Beresford; Adam Zoubir
Other key lawyers:
Damon Parker; Jennifer Morrissey
‘Very good at complex commercial litigation.’
‘Adam Zoubir is a brilliant lawyer, with a fine eye for detail and able to absorb huge amounts of information.’
‘An exceptional outfit, balancing strong technical skills, tactical nous and user-friendly presentation.’
Harbour Fund II, L.P.
Nop Narongdej and Nuttawut Phowborom
Fortescue Metals Group Limited
Ace Decade Holdings Limited and Dawn State Limited
Dr Craig Wright, Wright International Investments Limited, and Wright International Investments UK Limited
Laurence Pagden and Simon Underwood as Joint Liquidators of the Core VCT Plc, Core VCT IV Plc, and Core VCT V Plc (as well as the Core companies themselves)
Therium Litigation Finance Atlas AFP IC
SIN Capital Group Pte Ltd
Harbour Fund III, L.P.
- Acting for Harbour Litigation Funding in the Harbour Fund II litigation, one of the largest cases by party before the Commercial Court, with over 20 parties making claims to assets worth over £150m globally, described by the trial judge as being of “labyrinthine complexity.”
- Acting in the Core VCT litigation for the liquidators of three venture capital trusts, in claims against a former investment manager, former liquidators, and others relating to alleged mis-management of investment assets. The claims allege breaches of fiduciary duty and trust and contractual and tortious duties of care, dishonest assistance, and knowing receipt.
- Acting for the defendants in Suppipat v Narongdej, a Commercial Court fraud claim for US$1bn – US$2bn arising out of the sale of a major Thai renewable energy business and alleged misappropriation of shares in a Thai windfarm.
The team at Mayer Brown International LLP, which often acts in close tandem with colleagues in Europe, the US, Asia and Brazil, is reputed for its work on financial product, bank trading, insolvency, bribery, insurance and corruption-related proceedings. Alistair Graham leads the team and is currently leading on a matter intersecting the SFO and US Department of Justice.
Other key lawyers:
Active partner engagement with cases, wide industry knowledge and a global reach.’
‘Great strength in depth with excellent ability within the team itself to blend skills in the best interests of the client without reference to individual egos. A pleasure to work with.’
‘A big player in the commercial fraud market; hugely well resourced with exceptional lawyers experienced in all kinds of fraud disputes. This is a first rate smart and serious team with a broad range of skills and experience, and with a sound commercial approach.’
‘Alistair Graham – hugely experienced and hugely effective. A master negotiator with a clear sense of the pressure points for resolving litigation effectively. A very tough but fair opponent with high standards and great humour. At the top of the game. Lauren Theodoulou – a fantastic senior associate capable of running litigation on her own, with great tactical sense and a masterful eye for detail. Engaging and talented, and a delight to work with.’
‘Alistair Graham – one of the most experienced litigators in this market.’
Principal Global Investors
Alvarez & Marsal Europe LLP
- Acting for Alvarez & Marsal in their capacity as the joint liquidators of a high-profile multi-national construction and engineering company as the advisors to the joint liquidators and the company on litigation arising from the liquidation.
- Acted for listed client eOne, the leading Canada-based global mass media and entertainment company, now part of the Hasbro toy conglomerate on a multi-million pound fraud claim in the High Court, which included allegations of bribery, dishonesty, deceit, conspiracy and corruption, as well as subsequent bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representing partners in BDO, the leading UK-based accountant, in their role as liquidators of Robin Symes Limited. It is a highly-contentious liquidation of an antiquities dealership involving the disputed ownership of GBP multi-millions of antiquities.
Memery Crystal litigates across a wealth of sectors, including cryptocurrencies, financial services, media and entertainment, retail, leisure and natural resources. The team is led by Tania McLeod and is geared to support on breach of contract, negligence, company dispute, insolvency and commercial fraud matters, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Anthony Field; Dean Nicholls; Ian Bean; Laura Clatworthy
‘Well-integrated, well-resourced, and highly effective.’
‘Anthony Field: hugely experienced; exceptionally likeable; a highly effective combination of charm and steel.’
‘Justin Nimmo: nothing gets past Justin. Highly forensic, utterly determined – he pounces on his opponent’s every mistake until they lose the will for the fight. Formidable.’
‘A hard hitting fraud team, with quality at all levels.’
Milbank is home to Mona Vaswani, a 'market leading partner in fraud work' who serves as a key port of call for a number of international and investment banks. Found among her workload are fraud, asset tracing, trust and breach of fiduciary duty claims, among other proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Quality of partner.’
‘Mona Vaswani is a key contact. She is strategic, bright and responsive. She understands client needs very well and I thuroughly enjoyed working with her.’
‘An impressive, compact team of lawyers with lots of experience.’
‘Mona Vaswani is an excellent lawyer with a huge amount of experience in civil fraud, an ideal person to have for an international commercial dispute.’
‘Mona Vaswani is a market leading partner in fraud work, who always gets the best results for her clients.’
‘Mona Vaswani is one of the very best in this field.’
‘Mona Vaswani is world-class in terms of judgment, client care and work ethic’
‘The team is highly effective and impressive across the board.’
Njord Partners SMA-Seal LP
NPSSF Debt Co S.à r.l
AIE III INVESTMENTS, L.P.
Morrison Foerster demonstrates a tenacity for multijurisdictional bribery, corruption, financial crime and money-laundering investigations, including those before the FCA and SFO. Gareth Rees KC is distinctly knowledgeable of Modern Slavery Act and human rights-related compliance; he co-leads the team alongside Saqib Alam, qualified to practice in New York, England and Singapore, and Hayley Ichilcik, noted for her knowledge of the technology, financial services and healthcare sectors, among others.
Gareth Rees KC; Saqib Alam; Hayley Ichilcik
Other key lawyers:
‘Hayley Ichilcik – She’s a very able lawyer whose commercial practice covers a wide range of areas, and she’s adept at each of them; she’s clever, tough, charming and a delight to work with. Clients love her, as does her legal team: she provides encouragement, reassurance and adept handling of the most difficult case. First-rate.’
Gareth Rees (partner) – With immense regulatory experience, he’s simply statesman-like; and quietly gains the respect of all around him. He has a calm, confident and reassuring manner that only comes through years of experience in fighting at the coal-face. You want him on your team; and you certainly don’t want him on the other side. He’s terrific.’
‘A very effective and heavy weight team that can respond at pace to any challenge. Strong on diversity in its team building.’
Specialists in asset recovery and civil fraud, ONTIER LLP has also recently enhanced its reputation for its work in the digital assets space, including crypto. Oliver Cain leads the practice, leveraging a track record of handling cross-border disputes throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Africa and the Americas; he is supported by Amy Harvey, an expert in interim remedies in addition to tracing and recovering proceeds.
Other key lawyers:
‘Amy Harvey is a formidable litigator. She is excellent tracing assets through the most complex corporate structures. She has superb litigation instincts and appreciation of how points will play before a judge. First class.’
‘Amy Harvey is a key addition to the team: a practitioner with real civil fraud pedigree. She is well known and well respected in the market. Her work ethic and attention to detail are both exceptional.’
‘An excellent firm, Amy Harvey who has recently joined as a partner is a star.’
‘A growing niche fraud practice in an up-and-coming player in the London litigation market; they have recruited well and are well resourced and experienced litigators, offering a top-notch service in all levels of disputes.’
‘Amy Harvey – a recent recruit at partner level who has a wealth of experience in civil fraud disputes and is a hugely talented and skilled litigator. A delight to work with; efficient and engaging and never outplayed.’
‘Very hard-working, commercially-minded and client-focused.’
‘Oliver Cain is a senior partner with huge experience and great client handling skills. He is a great litigator.’
Dr. Craig Wright
Emar Al-Bayadir For Development & Trading Limited
Tulip Trading Limited
Cameroon Holdings Limited
- Representing Tulip Trading Limited in proceedings brought in the English Courts against the developers of the BTC, BCH and ABC bitcoin networks in which it seeks an order requiring the developers to restore control of digital assets held on those networks worth between GBP2 billion and GBP3 billion.
- Representing Emar in respect of claims against (i) Siraj Karbhari; (ii) European Real Estate Investment Company LLP; and (iii) Oaklands London Property Limited arising out of a joint venture to invest in UK and European real estate with causes of action including fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, restitution and an account of profits.
- Representing Dr Wright in ongoing proceedings brought by the Crypto Open Patent Alliance (COPA), a US non-profit mutual association founded by Jack Dorsey, for itself and also as representative claimant on behalf of Square Inc, Payward Ventures Inc (Kraken), Microstrategy Inc and Coinbase Inc.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP runs a broad caseload, spread across banking and finance, digital asset, cybercrime, shareholder, contractual, restructuring, insolvency and product liability disputes. Clare Arthurs fronts the team, which has recently litigated in jurisdictions as diverse as India and South America.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Marshall; Michael Brown
‘Excellent team, very client friendly and hands on’
‘Really strong team, in particular on cross-border disputes.’
‘Richard Marshall – takes no prisoners, and gets solutions/outcomes for clients.’
‘The PMC team is a highly effective outfit. It acts in high profile, high value cases, often involving very serious allegations of dishonesty and corporate wrongdoing.’
‘Richard Marshall is an exceptional partner. He has a high degree of commercial acumen which makes him a great legal strategist.
‘A solid choice for any party litigating civil fraud matters. The team has unsurpassed legal experience of the germane to the novelty of digital assets.’
‘The amount of work that the associates get through is, even for a commercial firm, truly impressive.’
Podhurst Orseck PA (on behalf of 43 individuals)
Arani and others
Various individuals and corporate entities (SKAT)
Group Action – re Parc Vacances
The Consumers Association – Which?
- Acting on a claim relates to a profit sharing agreement arising from the sale of a world renowned golf course. The client is seeking to enforce his rights for payments due on the sale of the assets.
- Instructed by Floridian law firm, Podhurst Orseck PA, to represent individuals that survived the highly publicised Chapecoense plane crash and the families and estates of those that did not, in resisting and seeking the quashing of an interim anti-suit injunction obtained in England by broker Aon, and re-insurer Tokio Marine Kiln.
- Acted for the Consumers’ Association (Which?) on both their Court of Appeal and Supreme Court interventions in the APP fraud case of Philipp v Barclays Bank UK Plc which involves an important point of banking law relating to the scope of a banker’s duty.
A new entry to the market, Quillon Law LLP was founded in 2021 by Mark Hastings, the former head of civil fraud at Addleshaw Goddard; his team has quickly developed a prominent reputation among a plethora of clients, namely funds, bondholders, state-owned entities, insolvency practitioners, financial institutions and high-net-wroth individuals.
Other key lawyers:
Nicola McKinney; Michael Barnett
‘A highly experienced team with many years of expertise in civil fraud’
‘Mark Hastings Partner, Michael Barnett and the team are tremendously experienced. Worked with both Mark and Michael many years ago on Berezovsky case. Don’t over-expect, and are realistic in aims and merits. Handle the clients brilliantly and extremely courteous to counsel. Makes for a great, effective team effort.’
‘Quillon Law have always prided themselves on being conflict-free and I absolutely endorse that. Each of Quillon’s partners are leaders in their fields and are efficient, forward-thinking problem-solvers.’
‘We work with Mark Hastings frequently, who has a measured and cool-headed approach to litigation. Michael Barnett always ensures that client needs are at the forefront of his thinking.’
‘Boutique practice with exceptional lawyers. The lawyers I’ve worked with are extremely personable and professional , with the way they interact with, not only the clients but are hugely respected by their peers.’
‘Mark Hastings, Michael Barnett and Nicola McKinney have been amazing to work with. The extended teams have all been superb.’
‘The firm has had a great start and is well on the way to being one of the standout disputes boutiques. The two founding partners Mark and Michael are legends. They both have backgrounds in top firms and are now thriving given the freedom of being in a boutique. They can handle the biggest litigation with more personalised service than the big firms and be more competitive on cost. They are people you want in your corner on the toughest of fraud and commercial cases.’
‘Mark Hastings has a fantastic reputation as a go-to person for heavyweight disputes, particularly those involving Russia and CIS. He is fearless, great on law and strategy, and can be extremely robust when he needs to be. Michael Barnett has been there and done it and now brings a wealth of experience to the boutique firm environment. The firm has recruited well and is assembling a talented team.’
Filatona Trading Limited
Augafield Ltd, ADM Lindenau Acquisition Limited and ADM Lindenau Limited
Bitkub Online Co Ltd
JSC Rossiya Airlines
Maroil Trading Inc & Sea Pioneer Shipping Corporation
Mohammad Abrishamchi (UHNW)
- Acting for Maroil Trading Inc & Sea Pioneer Shipping Corporation in high-value Commercial Court proceedings against companies associated with the Russian Sovcomflot Group.
- Acting for Mr Oleg Deripaska in relation to an application against him by Mr Vladimir Chernukhin for contempt of court, which is listed for trial in March 2023. The case has been the subject of intense media interest.
- Acting for Bitkub Online Co Ltd, a crypto exchange which is a Defendant to a claim by an individual who alleges that his misappropriated assets can be recovered from Bitkub because it holds those assets on a constructive trust. This case involves a developing area of law regarding digital assets/cryptocurrency.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP’s team is engaged by a roster of public, private and third sector clients, routinely acting on cyber fraud, compliance, risk management and investigation mandates. The team, which is home to formidable expertise in respect of freezing injunction applications, is led by Birmingham-based Helen Briant.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Trowers & Hamlins team is among the best there is. They are particularly strong for civil fraud. They are absolutely committed to their clients and getting the best outcomes of the case. They are easily comparable to bigger firms. They have real depth to their associates. They are a go to firm for civil fraud work.’
‘I have worked with Alex Burton on and off for many years. He is easy to work with and responsive.’
‘The team is approachable and easy to deal with. Friendly people with superbly sharp legal minds.’
‘Helen Briant and the team are both very strong in their field and have a keen eye for detail. They know the law inside out but they also understand their clients.’
‘Great value for money. You get the quality of a London firm, but without the expense.’
‘Helen Briant is an incredibly incisive lawyer. She is easy to work with and very knowledgeable. From a client’s perspective, she is able very quickly to identify any potential weaknesses in a case, and she gives clear strategic advice.’
Sayacorp B.S.C. (c)
Established in 2017, William Grace has quickly forged a prominent reputation for fraud matters pertaining to bribery, secret profits, dishonest assistance, corruption, breaches of fiduciary duty and deceit. Alastair Shaw leads the practice, calling upon over 15 years of experience in high-magnitude proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘William Grace have delivered results in fraud cases that I simply would not have believed were possible had I not see in first hand. They’re incredibly effective.’
‘Alastair Shaw’s detail focused, strategically nuanced and relentlessly committed approach delivers great results, even under the most difficult of circumstances.’
‘The team is very good at flexing for client needs and is very much partner led.’
‘Alastair Shaw is very hands on which clients like. He is an experienced fraud lawyer and is commercial so doesn’t take bad points and focuses on the key battlegrounds. He has acted in a number of very high profile cases with difficult clients and adeptly taken on the bigger players.’
‘A small team, which is good for co-defending on multi-defendant fraud cases.’
‘Alastair Shaw is very experienced in defending civil fraud claims.’
- Acting for Mr Tribaldos in the substantial proceedings brought by Mrs Bourlakova and ors v Mr Bourlakov (deceased) and ors (Claim number BL-2020-001050)- major proceedings involving multiple parties and multiple sets of UK lawyers.
- Continuing to assist and advise Person B in relation to matters relating to the (discontinued) high profile bribery and corruption proceedings LIA v SocGen and Ors and other matters brought by the Libyan Investment Authority