Bristows LLP draws considerable praise from clients for its ‘proactive and pragmatic’ approach. The team is particularly well regarded for its expertise in the life sciences and technology sectors where they are regularly sought out by some of the world’s largest companies, including a number of FTSE 100-listed entities. The practice is steered by Iain Redford who has extensive experience in M&A, IPOs, financing, and joint ventures, particularly in the technology and life sciences sectors. A litany of private equity funds and large global corporations turn to the ‘excellent’ Louise Eldridge for representation in the full scope of corporate transactions, from M&A to venture capital (VC) investment transactions and joint ventures. Richard Swaine specialises in advising charity and not-for-profit clients on corporate transactions and governance matters. Matt Dennis is noted for his focus in the technology and IP-rich industries.
M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m in London
Other key lawyers:
Matt Dennis; Louise Eldridge; Richard Swaine; Emma Charlton; Marek Petecki; Ellen Lambrix
‘The transaction brought in several legal disciplines. The team operated seamlessly, with all of its members fully up to speed all the way through the transaction which requires both good leadership and great communication between the team members.’
‘There was great transparency with the billing as well as a very sensible approach to billing team members’ time such that we were very happy with the cost of achieving the outcome in the context of the transaction itself.’
‘Marek Petecki is a superb lawyer, client relationship partner and team leader. We had to navigate some challenging issues which required not just legal knowledge but also valuable guidance in how best to implement the advice.’
‘Ellen Lambrix was exceptional in leading our IP advice, a fundamental part of the transaction. She concluded the negotiations around the sale effectively and efficiently. She is a joy to work with.’
‘Louise Eldridge is an excellent lawyer with a keen eye for detail, commercially astute and with an exceptional reputation for mid-market M&A.’
‘Excellent firm to deal with. Good advice, proactive and pragmatic.’
‘Louise Eldridge is outstanding. Available, proactive and pragmatic advice.’
Johnson & Johnson
Oxford Science Enterprises PLC
Waterland Private Equity
Motion Equity Partners
Smith & Nephew PLC
- Advised Sure – a mobile network provider in the Channel Islands – on the acquisition of Airtel-Vodafone Limited from Indian communications giant Bharti Global.
- Advised medical diagnostics company Intelligent Fingerprinting Limited on its merger with NASDAQ-listed Intelligent Bio Solutions Inc.
- Advised Smollan on the acquisition of majority interests in three technology companies in South Africa.
Drawing considerable praise from clients, the ‘partner-led, highly pragmatic and commercial’ team at Brown Rudnick LLP is well regarded for its work in innovative fields such as technology, advanced life-sciences and climate tech. With a distinct emphasis on venture capital, the team adeptly handles complex cross-border matters for a diverse roster of clients. The team is jointly led by international corporate practice head Tom Braiden and the ‘pragmatic’ Mark Dorff, who specialisises in early-stage investments in deep tech. Steering the equity capital markets (ECM) team is the accomplished Lena Hodge, whose vast experience encompasses advising public and private companies on IPOs, M&A and public company takeovers. The team’s strength has been fortified by a number of arrivals in 2022, which include Paul Doris from Dentons, David Knight from Fieldfisher, James Douglass from K&L Gates LLP and associate Stephen Wallace from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (UK) LLP.
Tom Braiden; Mark Dorff
Other key lawyers:
Lena Hodge; Neil Foster; Tracy Fisher; Tim Davison; David Knight; Paul Doris; Sage Revell; Nick Davies
‘Partner led, highly pragmatic and commercial team driven by results.’
‘Sage Revell – relentless drive, focused and ambitious.’
‘Mark Dorff – safe pair of hands, problem solver, pragmatic.’
‘Tracy Fisher – easily the most accessible and pragmatic tax lawyer I have worked with.’
‘Our partners, Neil Foster and Tim Davison have a wealth of experience in deals in our sector, from both sides of the table. This means that we can be sure we know what is market for terms and negotiate more effectively.’
‘Both Neil and Tim are always available and a pleasure to speak with. They understand that for a growing start-up that legal costs can be expensive, and are always looking for ways to work together and minimise costs to help us grow and create a profitable future for all of us.’
Midatech Pharma Plc
Queensgate Investments LLP
EDX Medical Limited
Orion Systems Integrators, LLC
- Represented BioGaia in the USD 30 million acquisition of its St. Louis-based distributor in a move that strengthens the Swedish biotech company’s market position in the U.S.
- Completed Victoria Plc’s cross-border acquisition of B3 Ceramics Danismanlik (trading as Graniser), a mid-market manufacturer and exporter of ceramic tiles based in Turkey, which has an enterprise value of approx. EUR 50m.
- Closed transaction for our AIM-listed client Victoria Plc in respect of its purchase of IWT Holdings, LLC and its wholly-owned subsidiary, International Wholesale Tile, LLC (collectively referred to as “IWT”).
Operating across a myriad of sectors and industries, including but not limited to TMT, healthcare, real estate and professional services, the corporate team at Charles Russell Speechlys LLP manages a steady stream of deals for a diverse portfolio of clients. With the wider firm’s emphasis on private capital, the team’s expertise is notably pronounced in the private wealth, financial services, and private equity sectors, where it has experienced an uptick in cross-border activity. Practice head David Coates specialises in corporate finance advisory and transactional work for both public and private companies. The business advisory and transactions services division is led by David Collins, who has extensive experience in both domestic and cross-border M&A transactions across a range of sectors. Hamish Perry is noted for his strong focus on private company M&A, joint ventures and private equity work.
Other key lawyers:
David Collins; Hamish Perry; Mark Howard; Jonathan Morley; Keir Gordon; Daniel Rosenberg; Sarah Wigington; Charlie Ring; Tom Smitham
Waverton Investment Management
Global Technical Realty (GTR)
- Acted for Battery Ventures and management as lead counsel (UK and Luxembourg) on the sale of Forterro to Partner’s Group.
- Advised the independent board of Caretech Holdings PLC, the AIM-listed care provider, in its take private sale to a management-led bidding vehicle, Amalfi Bidco Limited, for £870.3 million.
- Acted for Battery Ventures and management as lead counsel on the disposal in relation to the sale of SPT Labtech to EQT.
By leveraging the comprehensive capabilities of the Big Four firm, Deloitte Legal draws on a wide range of services - including legal, tax, financial, consulting and corporate finance advisory - as it advises clients. The group works with various corporates on the complete M&A lifecycle, covering pre-sale structuring, due diligence, market mapping and post-merger integration. London corporate head Charles Claisse focuses on mid-market M&A for global and fast-growth businesses as well as private equity funds and their portfolio companies. Glafkos Tombolis – a specialist in corporate governance and compliance matters – is a trusted adviser for clients in the health tech and TMT sectors. Rachel Hossack is recommended for her extensive experience of advising corporates on all aspects of their legal structure and internal arrangements; divestment-related corporate activities and post-M&A integration, entity rationalisation and structuring are particular strengths. Partners Deborah Angel and Andy Moseby left the firm for in-house roles in February 2022 and May 2023, respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Glafkos Tombolas; Rachel Hossack; Chris Hardman; Helen Porter; Partho Chaudhuri; Susie Siddal
James Fisher PLC
- Acting for the shareholders of financial services technology business specialising in open banking (including its institutional investors) on its sale to a Fortune 50 business.
- Acting for GoHenry, the international prepaid debit card and financial education app for kids and teens backed by investors including Citi Ventures (the strategic investment arm of Citi Bank), Edison Partners, Muse Capital and, Revaia Ventures) on their acquisition of French headquartered business Pixpay.
- Acting for the shareholders of LCT Software on their sale to Avolve Software and US private equity fund Polaris Partners.
Noted for its technical proficiency and commercial acumen, DWF is lauded for its capabilities in a broad range of corporate law matters across the consumer, real estate, financial services and technology sectors – both on a domestic and international scale. Under the leadership of retail expert Paddy Eaton, the firm has continued to grow its London team with a number of key hires in the last year, including James Wilson, an ECM specialist, who bring valuable expertise from his previous role at Howard Kennedy LLP in October 2022. Other notable additions include Alan Barnett, a hotel and leisure sector specialist who joined the firm Ince & Co in January 2023. Advising on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters, associate Raeesa Chowdhury has played a pivotal role in advising on various transactions over the past 12 months.
Other key lawyers:
Laurence Applegate; Justin Edgar; Raeesa Chowdhury
‘Extremely responsive team, coming with swift and excellent solutions. Tailor-made approach to clients with dedicated lawyers.’
Pepco Group N.V
Corvus Insurance Holdings, Inc.
Keywords Studios plc
Ocado Retail Limited
Caddick Group Limited / Moda Living Limited
Arajet Holdings Limited
Kin and Carta Plc
PSC UK Holdings Limited
Workdry International Limited (Selwood Limited)
Future Planet Capital
Viadi Group SA
Drake Food Services International
Allenby Capital Limited
Canaccord Genuity Limited
Elaph Media plc
Gemfields Group Limited
Minerva Research Limited
Pets Love Fresh Limited
Rapid Nutrition plc
Savvy Talent Limited
Thalassa Holdings Limited
Bamford Bus Company/HydraB group
Proteus Marine Renewables Limited
Mura Technology Limited
Coillte Group / Medite Europe
I Squared Capital Partners
BPP Holdings Limited
- Acted on a majority investment into Arajet Holdings Limited by Bain Capital Griffin International Master Fund, L.P. though its Spanish subsidiary HULANSERA, S.L., to create the first Dominican Republic based airline and the newest low-cost airline in the Caribbean region.
- Acted for world leading food, snack, and beverage corporation, PepsiCo, on its acquisition of a 20% stake in the premium Romanian spring water producer AQUA Carpatica.
- Acted for Northside Acquisitions Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of BPP Holdings Limited, the leading provider of professional and academic education on its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Digital Marketing Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries.
Fladgate LLP attracts considerable praise from clients for its ‘extremely pragmatic’ approach and ‘remarkable’ quality of work. The team earns further praise for its strong international offering and capabilities advising clients across the technology, real estate, hotel and leisure, and recruitment sectors. Practice head and ECM specialist David Robinson has particular experience in the publishing sector. The ‘efficient’ and ‘talented’ Anthony Shatz is noted for his expertise in M&A, joint ventures and investment funds. Jamie Hamilton, praised for his ‘excellent communication’ and ‘pragmatic’ approach, specialises in venture capital, private equity and M&A, routinely advising high-growth, early-stage companies and investors on capital raises, acquisitions, exits and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
Grant Gordon; Amy Collins; Ian Brent; Jan Hoppe; Jamie Hamilton; Mythily Katsaris; Alex Kaufmann; Anthony Schatz; Graham Spitz; Mary Liu
‘The individuals were very well balanced in different areas of law meaning we get a wider variety of input for our dollar. Extremely well spoken and articulate with a sense of humor when required.’
‘The team at Fladgate are exactly what you would look for in a team of professionals – courteous, highly responsive, always open to listening and providing structured advice which includes creative solutions.’
‘Anthony Shatz is highly knowledgeable, responsive and pragmatic. He truly influenced the transaction by providing business related feedback. We greatly appreciate working with him and the team.’
‘The team delivered exceptional services with tight deadlines. The quality of work was remarkable and the team was very proactive in offering different solutions.’
‘Anthony Shatz is a remarkable lawyer, very pragmatic and customer oriented. Mary Liu also worked with our company in the project and she also proved to be a very efficient and talented lawyer.’
‘Extremely pragmatic – very responsive and easy to work with. One partner and one associate on the M&A side and it worked a dream – deal got done at lightning speed. They worked really well with the lawyer for the sell side, no adversity or acrimony, meaning the business relationship was in tact given the target’s team were joining us post deal.’
‘Jamie Hamilton – pragmatic, responsive, gets things done. Excellent communication on deal progress and fees. Would recommend him to any company looking for an M&A lawyer.’
‘The team had an excellent ability to simplify complex legal terms so that we could understand them effectively. Throughout the deal the level of responsiveness and work ethic was exceptional which ensured we completed the deal by the agreed completion date.’
Zouk Capital LLP
Fiinu Holdings Limited
Dhamecha Holdco Limited and Empire Partners Limited
The Indian Card Clothing Co. Ltd.
Azur Group Limited, Azur Underwriting Limited, Azur Underwriting (Ireland) Limited, Aztech Advantage Limited
Neil Walton and others (Shareholders of Centor Insurance and Risk Management Limited)
Dorling Kindersley Limited
E. & S.W. Knowles & Company Limited
KE Hotels (Bath) Limited
Shareholders of MicroDesk LLC. and M2 Technologies LLC
- Advised Zouk Capital in its capacity as the manager of the £400m Charging Infrastruture Investment Fund, a fund set up by the government in partnership with the private sector on the sale of InstaVolt, a provider of rapid electric vehicle charging infrastructure, to EQT Infrastructure, an infrastructure investment fund.
- Advised long-standing client ZappiStore in connection with a £170 million investment from funds advised by Sumeru Equity Partners, a prominent US private equity house.
- Advised Fiinu Holdings Limited on its reverse takeover of AIM-listed cash shell, Immediate Acquisition plc, and related £8m equity placing and £2.5m facility. The enlarged group had a market capitalisation on its admission to AIM of £50 million.
Lauded by clients for its depth of expertise and cross-border capabilities, the ‘excellent’ corporate team at Fox Williams LLP is well positioned to advise clients across the technology, financial services, media, travel and professional services sectors. Practice head Richie Clark focuses on private and public M&A, principally in the technology, financial services and natural resources sectors, and has continued to deepen relationships with the firm's international client base. Mary Elliott, praised for her ‘practical solutions’, leads the firm’s publishing and digital media offering where she focuses on publishing and edtech M&A. Andrew Woolf is a key port of all for listed companies, private companies and ultra-high-net-worth (UHNW) individuals, particularly in the financial services and technology sectors. The team has been strengthened by the arrival of VC and financial services expert Bryan Shaw, a dual-qualified (England and Australia) practitioner, who joined from MBM Commercial in December 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Mary Elliott; Andrew Woolf; Guy Morgan; Hannah Elliott; Bethany Silkin; Sarah Carlton; Paul Osborne; Chien-Wei Lui
‘Fox Williams is unique because they have a big pool of specialised departments. The most important factor is that the various teams work extremely well with each other.’
‘The leader of the M&A team who handled my case, Paul Osborne, is an extremely knowledgeable and professional advisor, also the rest of team and all the other in hbiuse specialist stood out impressively.’
‘The team I worked with were calm and experienced in my industry and gave good counsel at all junctures of the deal.’
‘Mary Elliott – partner; industry expertise and practical solutions to hurdles that are presented in any deal.’
‘Chien-Wei Lui – associate; very calm under pressure and swift responses when necessary.’
Constellation Software Inc
Trustbridge Global Media
London & Capital Group Limited
- Acted for the management of London & Capital Group Limited who are rolling over a substantial amount of equity into the purchasing company.
- Advised long-standing AIM listed client Summerway Capital plc on its £80 million acquisition of Vertigrow Technology Ltd by way of reverse takeover and associated £8.5 million fundraise.
- Advised the shareholders of Blis Global to the private equity house, Lloyds Development Capital.
By capitalising on the expertise of the firm’s accomplished financial services and restructuring teams, the ‘sophisticated and friendly’ corporate practice at Katten integrates its knowledge to offer clients comprehensive guidance on regulatory, restructuring and distressed M&A matters. Possessing the capabilities to assist clients on the full spectrum of corporate matters, the team has a particular focus on the, financial, healthcare, real estate, technology and consumer business sectors. The team is jointly led by Oliver Williams , Edward Tran and Christopher Harrison. Williams, who joined the firm from PwC LLP, has a practice that spans private equity, corporate M&A, investments and shareholder agreements, while Tran is is regularly engaged by a broad range of clients on the full suite of corporate transactions. Harrison is noted for his vast experience working with investment funds and advising on effective implementation of capital and activist strategies. Paul Rosen departed for Mayer Brown International LLP.
Oliver Williams; Edward Tran; Chris Harrison
Other key lawyers:
Omar Malek; David Wood; Alexander Taylor
‘Very dedicated to customer and informative.’
‘Sophisticated and friendly.’
Lewis Silkin‘s combination of ‘business acumen’ and ‘unrivalled knowledge of the communications and tech industries’ makes it a strong choice for a range of top clients in the advertising and marketing and tech sectors. In recent years, the team has broadened its cross-border capabilities and experienced experienced considerable growth in fintech and start-up opportunities. The practice is headed up by Paul Rajput whose advertising and marketing expertise makes him a key contact for some of the world's largest marketing communications networks, among other clients. The ‘extremely knowledgable’ Jo Evans regularly assists private businesses with the implementation of their growth plans and exit strategies.
Other key lawyers:
Jo Evans; Geraint Tilsley; Karish Andrews; Gavin McNaughton; Wendy Saunders; Francesca Ainsworth; Barnaby Stokes; Sadiq Tajbhai; Joe Lythgoe
‘Jo Evans is extremely knowledgeable, approachable and explains potential issues is a very clear and simple manner.’
‘Both Jo Evans and Joe Lythgoe were dedicated and conscious of potential impacts on the transaction if deadlines slipped. Both made themselves consistently available to ensure the deal was on track. Particularly great at ironing out issues as they arose, quickly and effectively.’
‘Lewis Silkin has an outstanding corporate M&A team. Great business acumen, very strong negotiating skills and an unrivalled knowledge of the communications and tech industries.’
Sideshow Group Limited
Caroline Kinsey / Ocorian Trust company
Publicis Groupe SA
Sopra Steria SA
Next Fifteen Communications Group Plc
Harbour Group Industries Inc
Shareholders of Born Social
Four Communisations / FCG Worldwide
- Acted for Publicis Groupe’s in its acquisition of Zeus Enterprise Ltd trading as Yieldify.
- Acted on Next Fifteens’s acquisition of Engine UK Ltd.
- Acted for the Wildstone management team on the sale of the Wildstone group (including their significant stake in the group) to Antin Infrastructure Partners, a European private equity infrastructure fund.
Rated for its ‘practical and hands-on’ approach, the Guilford-based corporate team at Stevens & Bolton LLP provides guidance to public and private companies across all facets of their M&A work, acting on both the buy and sell sides. Praised as a strong alternative to City firms, the team has deepened its international footprint in the last year, advising on a number of complex cross-border deals. Newly appointed practice head Joe Bedford specialises in M&A, sponsor backed transactions, fundraisings and corporate restructurings. Keith Syson's broad experience spans M&A, corporate restructuring, fundraisings, private equity-backed transactions, joint ventures and corporate governance. Focused on the technology and insurance sectors, Jenny Robertson is described as an ‘outstanding’ and ‘really knowledgable’ lawyer. Partner Sarah Cardew joined the firm from Irwin Mitchell in October 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Keith Syson; Richard Baxter; Jenny Robertson; Nick Atkins; Oscar Horwich; Krishna Patel
‘Very approachable, professional and have the full suite of services for a regional firm.’
‘Keith Syson – a titan of corporate law.’
‘Practical and hands-on team, outstanding availability and partner involvement.’
‘Jenny is an outstanding corporate lawyer, quick on her feet and really knowledgeable.’
‘Solid and dependable team, excellent client engagement and very responsive. Proactive at finding billing and creative solutions to ensure a range of deal sizes and structures can be efficiently resourced and catered for.’
‘Joe Bedford is an excellent partner. He provides superb, commercial advice and is extremely responsive to feedback. He is able to tailor his negotiating style as required and is enjoyable to work with.’
‘Krishna Patel is an excellent senior associate who moves the transaction along.’
The Ardonagh Group
- Acted for EfectoLed (company name Zernin Trade S.L.), a portfolio company of Spanish private equity group Miura Partners, on a complex, cross-jurisdictional, transaction on its acquisition of Lyco Group Limited.
- Advising the founding shareholders, on the sale of Actica Consulting, the Guildford-based specialist provider of digital transformation, cyber security and technical consultancy services, to private equity firm Sovereign Capital Partners.
- Advising Diploma plc across a number of strategic acquisitions, including its £103 million acquisition of R&G Fluid Power Group.
The ‘strong’ corporate team at Trowers & Hamlins LLP focus primarily on private company M&A, with particular expertise across the healthcare, real estate and leisure sectors. The team earn further praise for its ability to provide this expertise with a ‘personal touch’. Practice head Tim Nye advises widely on private equity matters and is noted for his ability to find ‘creative solutions to often very complex problems and structures’. Alison Chivers, a health and social care M&A specialist, is a key port of call for private equity and family office investors. The ‘consistently reliable, communicative and knowledgeable’ Nick Harrisingh leads the firm’s corporate real estate team, and is routinely engaged by entrepreneurs and owner managers in the TMT sector on exits and fundraisings. The national team has been strengthened by the arrival of Manchester based Paul Ellaby who joined the firm from DAC Beachcroft LLP in April 2022. All other named lawyers are based in London.
Other key lawyers:
Alison Chivers; Nick Harrisingh; Adrian Jones; Steven Raize; Ayda Habboush; Claire Scanlon; Stuart Mathews; Kyle Holling
‘A big enough team to deal with all the various aspects of closing out a deal, yet still allowing for the personal touch.’
‘Stuart Mathews was our lead partner – a very personable individual, and able to explain complex legal issues in layman’s language. A real asset to the firm.’
‘We have had the benefit of working with a strong team headed by Tim Nye, who is incredibly creative and willing to think outside of the box in order to help us achieve our commercial objectives, often in situations that require navigating complex issues within tight timeframes.’
‘The team at Trowers know our business inside out, and it really does feel like they are an extension of our in-house legal function.’
‘We rely on Tim Nye for all of our corporate needs. He is always available and attentive, with a real can-do attitude. He is not afraid of thinking outside of the box to come up with creative solutions to often very complex problems and structures.’
‘We rely on Kyle Holling for all our real estate needs. He has in depth legal and market knowledge of the affordable housing space and is my first port of call on real estate matters. He is very responsive and is happy to be available to answer ad hoc queries when required.’
‘Excellent team with good collaboration, prompt responses and truly partner led process which instils confidence.’
‘Nick Harrisingh is consistently reliable, communicative and knowledgeable on all size of transactions and brings in colleagues where appropriate with little fuss.’
Swanton Care & Community Limited
Ensera UK Bidco Limited (a member of the Steripack Group)
CNX Therapeutics Limited
Matthew Cox and Charles Oliver (the shareholders of Hale International Recruitment Limited)
Shareholders of Childs Farm (including Andrew Leek and Joanna Jensen)
Inflexion Private Equity
NTG Holdings Limited
Sean and Sally Williams
Management Team of Cakesmiths
Bob Fraser, Diane Fraser and Bruce Clothier
Willow AssetCo Limited
The Disabilities Trust
The shareholders of TritonExec
The Shareholders of Oakley Advisory Limited
Keith Bedell-Pearce, Jack Bedell-Pearce, David Barker and Steven Wright
Octopus Real Estate
Inflexion Private Equity Partners LLP
Rosemont Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Ignite Growth LLP
- Advised CNX Therapeutics Limited (an Inflexion private equity backed speciality pharmaceutical company) on its acquisition of Synchrony Pharma Limited and its existing portfolio of commercialised products.
- Advised Joanna Jensen and the other selling shareholders on their sale of the entire issued share capital of Childs Farm (the UK baby and child personal care brand) to consumer goods business PZ Cussons).
- Advised leading care home investor, Octopus Real Estate, on a £100m acquisition and funding deal with The Hamberley Group, which is backed by Patron Capital.
Clyde & Co
With expertise spanning the real estate, marine, energy and financial services sectors, Clyde & Co draws considerable praise from clients, who turn to the team for its ‘well resourced and proactive’ approach in a range of corporate transactions. The team is further lauded for its ability to ‘seamlessly’ handle multi-jurisdictional transactions, leveraging its global network to assist on matters. The practice is steered by Simon Vere Nicoll, who is recommended for his experience of advising on the structuring and financing of joint ventures and fund structuring advice, often with a cross-border element. Nick Purnell‘s wide-ranging expertise in the marine, shipping and payments systems sectors ensures that he is routinely engaged by a diverse roster of clients. Associate Paul Hardling is noted for his ‘meticulous’ technical ability.
Other key lawyers:
Nick Purnell; Richard Elks; Simon Gamblin; Paul Harding; Ben Coakley; Richard Turner; Victoria Green; Emma De Graauw; Matt Harrop; Rob Hill; Paul Harding
‘The M&A team is well resourced and proactive in its approach to challenging and complex transactions. The partners are clearly skilled at negotiating and give the client great confidence when closing.’
‘The partners are personable and the support teams are proactive in their approach to managing transactions in a timely manner.’
‘Clyde & Co has great M&A team who are capable of handling multijurisdictional transactions. In particular the firm stands out for its ability to take the lead and be a single contact point for a project’s legal issues.’
Evora Global Limited
LD Path Limited
Sale of TI Africa and Asia (Project Dolphin)
IO Asset Management LLP
Egis SA (Project Uston)
- Advised the founders of Evora Global Limited in relation to its sale to the private equity firm Bridges Fund Management, which received investment support from MSCI and Farview Equity.
- Advised on the sale of LDPath, a UK-based digital pathology testing service provider, by its founders, to SourceBio International, for an initial consideration of £18.5 million in cash.
- Instructed by International Seaways, Inc and Euronav NV in connection with the share sale and purchase of 50% of the shares in two companies, each of which being the registered owner of an FSO.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP is lauded by clients for its ‘wealth of experience’ and ‘coordinated approach’ across the health, real estate, technology and financial services sectors. Notably, the team is handling an increasing volume of international work, fielding a number of cross-border instructions in recent months. With a particular focus on the technology sector, the team continues to be sought after by a significant number of AIM-listed technology businesses on their acquisition work. London corporate and tax practice head Jonathan Deverill is recommended for his expertise in the medical cannabis, fashion and beauty sectors. Matthew Darling anchors the French desk, focusing predominately on high value transitions for both private and public companies. Nick Garland is noted for his experience providing transaction advice on public and private M&A, joint ventures and equities issues.
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Darling; Nick Garland; Michelle Jones; Shuwen Yu
‘Clear and transparent billing. Wealth of experience in the financial services sector. Coordinated approach across specialist Financial Services, Regulatory, IT and Employment department.’
‘Willingness to understand the nature of the acquiring company’s structure and business objectives and assist in alignment with the transitional services acquired from the seller.’
Lords Builders Merchants Holdings Limited
Hevey Building Supplies Limited
A P P Wholesale Limited
CloudCoCo Group plc
IQGeo Group plc
Tialis Essential IT plc
Voyager Life plc
- Provided corporate, real estate, construction and planning advice to Countryside Partnerships, one of the best-known UK housing developers, on its £1.25 billion Clapham park Estate development JV.
- Advised new client IQGeo on its €13.0 million and associated £3.5 million raise, a deal on which Stephenson Harwood, Deloitte Legal and Lydian were also instructed.
- Advising Lords Builders Merchants Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of Lords Group Trading plc (a leading distributor of building materials in the UK), on the £23m acquisition of a leading local independent builders merchant, AWLC Limited.
Drawing considerable praise from clients for its ‘broad knowledge and experience’, the team at Farrer & Co is equipped to navigate a wide spectrum of high-value corporate transactions. With a strong foothold in the financial services, media and entertainment, and property sectors, the firm is well positioned to cater to the diverse needs of its clients. The team is led by the ‘knowledgable’ and ‘highly commercial’ Jonathan Haley, a specialist in private company transactions with extensive experience acting for entrepreneurial clients on the sale of regulated businesses to both trade and private equity purchasers. Richard Lane, head of the firm’s international corporate offering, continues to lead on a number of major transactions, acting for a growing number of US and Middle East-based clients. David Fletcher is noted for his focus on founders, entrepreneurs and investors, particularly in the technology sector.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Lane; Marie Bates; Tom Bruce; David Fletcher; Anthony Turner; Simon Ward; Emily Jamieson; India Benjamin; Charlie Court; Georgina Fraser
‘The team were highly responsive, tailored their advice very specifically to the SME client, were cost-conscious without cutting corners and gave clear explanations underlying their thinking. They gave meaningful insight into the likely thinking of the other side and were equally capable of charm and menace as the situation required, without burning bridges.’
‘Richard Lane and India Benjamin were efficient, experienced, didn’t need things explaining twice, deeply understood and could articulate the client’s needs intimately – without any condescension. A pleasure to deal with.’
‘They brought in specialists (tax, employment, IT etc) as required and managed their input and billing well. They dealt with the corporate finance adviser very well and managed a closing and earn out payment date without stress for the client.’
‘In addition to their legal work, which was excellent, they were particularly good at working with the management and shareholders, most of whom had not been involved in a transaction like this before.’
‘Excellent mid-market firm with broad knowledge and experience. They embrace technology (such as Kudocs), but draw on all of the experience that their history provides.’
‘Jon Haley – Knowledgeable, intelligent, genial and highly commercial.’
‘David Copping – Impressive expert in all commercial and intellectual property matters. A go-to person.’
Canaccord Genuity Wealth Limited
Arbuthnot Latham & Co
Brookfield Business Partners LP
London Business School
PGA European Tour
Rathbone Brothers plc
J P Boden (Holdings) Limited
BMJ Publishing Group Limited
SAGE Publications Limited
FG Curtis plc
- Advised Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management, through its wealth management business in the UK and Crown Dependencies (CGWM UK), on its acquisition of Punter Southall Wealth Limited (PSW), acquired from Psigma Wealth Limited (Psigma) which is part of the Punter Southall group.
- Advised the shareholders of F.G. Curtis plc (FGC) on the disposal of FGC to the Harwood private equity group for approximately £28m including earn-out consideration.
- Advised PGA European Tour on its entry into a 13-year operational joint venture partnership with PGA TOUR, as part of an extension of the existing strategic alliance between the two Tours.
Noted for its strong sense of interoffice collaboration, Harbottle & Lewis LLP possesses a wealth of experience across the technology, retail, leisure, media and entertainment, and private client services sectors, handling a considerable volume of transactions for a diverse roster of clients. The corporate team is chaired by managing partner Charles Lévêque, whose recent engagements include high-profile acquisitions in the technology, media and retail sectors. Colin Howes provides specialist corporate finance and strategic advice on buying and selling businesses, joint ventures and commercial agreements. Tim Parker advises on a wide range of corporate and finance transactions, typically for entrepreneurial and talent-led businesses.
Other key lawyers:
Colin Howes; Tim Parker; Mark Phillips; Rhys Llewellyn; Tony Littner; Edward Lane; Tom Macleod; Katerina Capras
David and Victoria Beckham (DB Ventures Limited)
Secret Group Limited (Secret Cinema)
Lab-Craft Holdings Limited
TPXimpact Holdings Plc
Podcast Awards Ltd
Kindle Entertainment Limited
Driift Holdings Ltd
- Advised David and Victoria Beckham in relation to the strategic partnership that they entered into with Authentic Brands Group (ABG) relating to the ownership and development of the David Beckham brand.
- Advised Secret Group Limited, the immersive entertainment company behind Secret Cinema, on the USD$100m sale by the company’s shareholders, led by Active Partners, to global e-commerce/ticketing platform TodayTix Group.
- Advised the shareholders of Vaix Limited (Vaix), a leading developer of AI solutions specifically designed for the iGaming industry, on its acquisition by Sportradar Group (NASDAQ; SRAD), a global provider of sports data and content.
Hill Dickinson LLP
Praised for its ‘client-centric approach’, Hill Dickinson LLP enjoys a strong reputation in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors, regularly working across biotech, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and IVF and embryo research. The team’s expertise also extends to medical cannabis and CBD/wellness ventures. Capital markets and M&A specialist Michael Bennett, who heads the practice, is noted for his work on energy, life sciences and medical cannabis matters. 'Skilled team leader’ Shantanu Sinha has extensive experience in fundraisings, advising both issuers and corporate finance houses on the London Stock Exchange. Roderick Palmer, who heads the firm’s commercial shipping practice, is a trusted adviser to a number of banks, leasing companies, ship-owners and investors.
Other key lawyers:
Roderick Palmer; Malcolm Entwistle; Michael Corcoran; Jaspal Sakhon; Jonathan Morris; Shantanu Sinha; Diana Syziu; James Paton-Philip; Jack Delaney; Francois de Lange; Amy Grosvenor
‘This practice is truly unique in several aspects, setting it apart from other firms in the industry.’
Shantanu Sinha is a skilled team leader with extensive expertise and experience in corporate and commercial matters. His team prioritizes its clients and adopts a client-centric approach to its work.’
‘The team values teamwork, synergy, and diverse perspectives.’
ADES Saudi Limited
Hellenic Dynamics PLC
Reabold Resources PLC
Tap Global Group PLC
Meta Materials Inc
Firering Strategic Minerals PLC
Forum Energy Services Limited
Ondo InsureTech PLC
Cadence Minerals PLC
- Advised ADES on its acquisition of Emerald Driller Co., which totalled $204 million from Vantage Holdings International.
- Advised AIM-listed quarried materials group SigmaRoc on its acquisition of Johnston Quarry Group Limited and Guiting Quarry Limited for a consideration of £35.5 million.
- Advised Hellenic on its acquisition of Hellenic Dynamics S.A. (a Greek company involved in the cultivation and production of medical cannabis) and on its admission to trading on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange, for a value of c.£37 million.
Howard Kennedy LLP works with a diverse roster of domestic and international corporates active across a range of sectors, who turn to the team for assistance in all manner of corporate transactions. Under the leadership of ‘friendly, commercial‘ Ashley Reeback and Gillian White, a private M&A expert, the London team has continued to grow; James Meakin, a specialist in the tax aspects of corporate and real estate transactions, joined from Dentons in March 2022. Other key figures include Stephanie Brigg and Jane Brassington, both of whom are noted for their ability to assist clients on a range of corporate transactions.
Gillian White; Ashley Reeback
Other key lawyers:
Stephanie Brigg; Jane Brassington; Charlotte Whitworth; James Meakin; Jonathan Polin; Paul Glassberg; Antony Hunt
‘Commercial approach to the process, ensuring the deal completed in a timely manner.’
‘Ashley Reeback is friendly, approachable but commercial!’
‘A solid team led by Gillian White. Focus on key issues and communicate well.’
Sycamore Mining Ltd
Galliard Developments Ltd
Michels & Taylor
Lateral Property Investment
Toppan Digital Language Ltd
City & Docklands
- Advised Yorkshire County Cricket Club in relation to an ongoing Employment Tribunal claim brought by Azeem Rafiq and a multitude of allegations of race discrimination which had created a major crisis at the club.
- Advised Atlantic Green, a joint venture between Nofar Energy and the Interland on a series of battery energy storage projects which are the largest in the UK, and one of the largest in the world.
- Advised Foxway Group AB on the acquisition of Global Resale, Ltd by way of share purchase.
Drawing considerable praise from clients for its ability to grasp ‘commercial objectives’ in great depth, as well as for its cross-border capabilities, the corporate team at McGuireWoods London LLP is regularly engaged by clients in the hotel and leisure, food and beverage and retail sectors. The practice is jointly led by Mehboob Dossa, who is routinely instructed by multinationals, capital providers and independent spenders on a range of transactions, and Patrick De Ridder, whose recent highlights include acquisitions in the US and Europe as well as joint ventures in Asia and Africa.
Mehboob Dossa; Patrick De Ridder
Other key lawyers:
‘Access to and responsiveness of partners.’
‘As well as accessibility and responsiveness, demeanor and knowledge is particularly strong.’
‘McGuireWoods LLP has a diverse team of lawyers who make the effort to understand the commercial objectives of their clients in depth. The team is nimble and is able to adapt in dealing with challenging personalities that come along with M&A deals of this size.’
‘Mehboob Dossa has been a veteran at McGuireWoods since before the establishment of its London office in 2009. We have worked with him for over 15 years; he has a very personable approach to clients and understands the value of compounded relationships.’
RGK Group, Inc /dba Angstrom Technology
Thrive Parent Holdings, LLC
- Advised Carpenter Co., a global, diversified and world class manufacturing company, on its €656 million acquisition of the Engineered Foams Business of Recticel.
- Advised on the cross-border (US/UK) acquisition of Connect 2 Cleanrooms Ltd. by a US private equity firm.
- Advised Thrive, a cybersecurity and digital transformation managed services provider, in its acquisition, by way of share acquisition, of UK company Custard Technical Services Limited.
Praised for its capabilities in cross-border deals, Memery Crystal‘s corporate team advise on all aspects of M&A, debt and private equity transactions for a diverse roster of clients. The team is steered by Nick Alfillé, a highly experienced M&A lawyer who anchors the team's cross-border offering. Lesley Gregory specialises in capital markets work, including flotations and secondary capital raisings. Andrew Titmas is noted for his ability to act on a broad range of transactional and advisory work, including M&A, equity issues, corporate restructuring and insolvency advice.
Other key lawyers:
Lesley Gregory; Andrew Titmas; Christopher Allen; Jon Lovitt; Lucie Burniston; Natalie Georgiou
Sellers of Power Adhesives
RSK Group Limited
- Advised Syco Entertainment on its securitisation of its intellectual property in the Got Talent franchise.
- Acted for various shareholders of Autorama in connection with its sale to Auto Trader.
Noted for its broad M&A capabilities, Payne Hicks Beach LLP possesses considerable strength across the financial services, technology, publishing, chemicals and automotive sectors. The practice is steered by Jonathan Gatward, a seasoned practitioner who has a wealth of experience advising privately owned and managed businesses across a range of different transactions. Gatward has a particular interest in businesses with an intellectual property angle. Practice co-chair Howard Taylor specialises in M&A transactions, and is also experienced in joint ventures and private equity-driven deals. Recent arrivals include Max Baird-Smith, who joined the team from Gide Loyrette Nouel LLP in July 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Max Baird-Smith; Isobel Symonds
‘Highly competent at a technical level. Very much a partner-led practice.’
Bonnier Books UK Group Holdings Limited
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (owned by Stellantis)
Elite Hotels (Rotherwick) Limited
Pineapple Dance Studios
Bonnier Books UK Limited
- Advising luxury hotel chain, Elite Hotels (Rotherwick) Limited, on the sale of 5 star and 228 bedroom Luton Hoo Hotel, Golf & Spa to the Arora Hotel Group.
- Advising the shareholders of Syntec Holdings Limited on their sale of the company to AIM-listed Eckoh plc.
- Acting for Bonnier Books UK Limited on its acquisition of the assets of The Salariya Book Company Limited.
The ‘experienced’ team at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP focuses on the technology, real estate, private wealth and retail sectors. Praised by clients for its ‘great technical knowledge’, the team has a strong international focus, regularly advising on cross-border deals. Practice head Matthew Martin provides corporate and finance expertise to a range of clients; Martin also co-heads the firm’s fashion, luxury and lifestyle sector group. Michaela Britton, praised for her ability to 'tackle complex matters with ease’, advises on a wide range of corporate transactions and is regularly instructed by entrepreneurs, start-ups and SMEs. The team has been bolstered by the arrival of partner Mona Patel, who joined the firm from Ince & Co in January 2023, as well as Adam Carling, who joined from Bird & Bird LLP in October 2022. Jose Millan Martin left for Pinsent Masons LLP that same month.
Other key lawyers:
Mona Patel; Michaela Britton; Emily MacDonald; Giordano Suergiu; Michaela Britton; Joanne Vengadesan
‘The team is excellent, very responsive and their attention to detail is impressive.’
‘We work with Michaela Britton mostly on M&A matters. She is an excellent professional and I really like working with her. She tackles complex matters with ease and can address difficult and pressing situations with composure and effectively and efficiently sort out things.’
‘We work with Joanne Vengadesan on various matters, and I would like to praise her professionalism and work ethic.’
‘The team are very experienced and provide good and timely advice. They also have the ability to be commercial when required.’
‘They are very responsive and have great technical knowledge.’
Oxford Cannabinoid Technologies Holdings PLC
Tough Mudder UK
Doree Bonner Holdings
Needle & Thread
Transearch International Partners Limited
HBL Bank UK Limited
Newsquest Media Group Limited
BTE Plant Sales Limited
Heracles Productions Limited
Ori Industries 1 Limited
FaceGym Holdings Limited
- Advised New Era Music Company, a global record label and media company, on its acquisition of Defected Records Ltd and all of its group companies, through a new group holding company, Optimum Defected Holdings Limited.
- Advised Newsquest Media Group Limited, one of the UK’s regional media groups, on its acquisition of Archant Community Media Ltd from Rcapital Nominees Limited, a private investment firm.
- Advised the senior leadership team at BTE Plant Sales Ltd on the management buy-out of one of the largest independent plant suppliers in the UK from its shareholders.
Noted for its ‘exceptionally thorough’ approach, the fast-growing team at Wallace LLP works closely with consultancies, digital agencies, technology providers, and professional services businesses on a range of corporate transactions. The practice is led by John Woodhouse, who has extensive experience in supporting owner-managed companies through their growth cycles and advising shareholders on eventual sale. Andrew Cooke – noted for his focus on the fintech sector – is rated by clients for his ‘clarity and thoroughness.’ Managing partner Rex Newman has decades of experience of M&A transactions, regularly working with high-profile corporate clients and investment companies.
Other key lawyers:
Rex Newman; David Judah; Charlotte Wheeldon; Andrew Cooke; Laura Gillard
‘What distinguishes the team is its understanding of both the commercial and legal challenges facing small entrepreneur-led businesses, gained from its experience of and learning from complications arising with deals for its clients that come from many different sectors.’
‘John Woodhouse is a standout corporate lawyer. Highly intelligent, experienced, unflappable and commercially-minded. Laura Gillard supports him effectively.’
‘They are exceptionally thorough and always responsive. They are also very clear always.’
‘Andrew Cooke, in particular, can always be relied upon to respond quickly with clarity and thoroughness.’
‘Strong commercial mindset. Large firm capability in a smaller team.’
ENIC/Tottenham Hotspur FC
Coller Capital Ltd
The Clancy Group
Cleantech Building Materials plc
Flight Story Group Limited/Steven Bartlett
Simpson Spence Young
- Advised ENIC Sports, the majority shareholder in Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, on an agreed capital increase for the club of £150 million.
- Advised Graeme Chilton on the sale of Capsicum Motorsports.
- Advising the shareholders of Riskcare on its sale to international consultancy Bip.
Variously praised as ‘efficient, collaborative’ and ‘pragmatic’, the corporate team at Wedlake Bell LLP for its capabilities across the gamut of corporate transactions, particularly in the technology, financial services, insurance and leisure sectors. The team has most recently been bolstered by the arrival of Mark Tasker and Stephen Callender in May 2022; Tasker draws on over 30 years of experience advising clients on on corporate transactional work, while Callender is noted for his focus on M&A and UK capital markets matters. The wider practice is led by Adam Lynch, who regularly handles corporate finance and M&A transactions - both domestic and cross-border. Nigel Taylor is recommended for his expertise in advising on downstream private equity and private equity-backed transactions. Janice Wall retired from the firm in February 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Edward Craft; Nigel Taylor; Julian Matthews; Mark Tasker; Stephen Callender; Kamalprit Lally
‘Nigel Taylor makes a partner-led offering work well and is supported by excellent associates and related disciplines available to assist. Nigel has a unique experience and insight in to our sector and extensive transaction experience with us. He is able to take a pro-active stance throughout with his knowledge of our appetite for risk etc.’
‘Friendly, efficient, collaborative, pragmatic and solutions based approach to transactions which works well for us as we build our brand as a major acquirer in our sector.’
‘Real industry experience and knowledge at partner level and thorough understanding of issues and our position from associates.’
‘Personalised service that makes a difference and old fashioned partner-led communication. As a CEO, it’s the perfect level of support.’
‘My partner is exceptional is offering options and alternative solutions, but also pragmatic depending on the matter.’
‘Wedlake Bell team was great at solving complex problems and distilling them to simplified achievable solutions. Their approach is very professional and strongly focused on what is best for the client.’
‘Stephen Callender is one of, if not the best solicitor I know. His calm and composed manner always helps find the best solution to any complex problem. He has my interest at heart every single time and always focuses on doing the right thing.’
Athora UK RE Log Holdco 1 Limited
Global Risk Partners Limited
The shareholders of Activate Solutions Group Limited
Miha Holdings B.V (trading as Re-Vision)
The shareholders of Zeigo Ltd
Org Holdings Limited
Schneider & Cie. AG Internationale Transporte
The shareholders of the Banana Tree Restaurant Group
The shareholders of Ufford Park Limited
The shareholders of Surefoot Solutions Limited
- Advised Athora UK RE Log Holdco 1 Limited in relation to the sale of the entire issued share capital of Athora UK Re Log Property 21 Limited and Athora UK Re Log Property 12 Limited.
- Advised Global Risk Partners, one of the leading independent insurance intermediaries in the UK and an operating unit of Brown & Brown, Inc.’s Retail Segment, on its acquisition of CC Flint and Company Ltd (Flint Insurance).
- Advised the shareholders of Activate Solutions Group Limited (Activate), the parent company to a group of specialist field sales solutions businesses including Field Sales Solutions (FSS), on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Activate to private equity backed and France-based Impact Field Marketing Group (IFMG).
Boasting a ‘true partner-led service’ and ‘pragmatic and commercial approach’, Wiggin LLP is regularly sought out by a range of top clients from the media, entertainment and technology sectors. The team is well placed to advise public and private companies on domestic and cross-border matters, including joint ventures, M&A and private equity deals. The team is led by the ‘commercially-minded’ Ben Whitelock, who has particular experience advising on corporate deals in the betting and gaming, technology, and publishing sectors. Ciaran Hickey advises clients across the technology and media sectors on a broad range of cross-border and domestic corporate transactions, acting for leading businesses, investors and entrepreneurs. Jason Fisher, lauded for his ‘first-class client service’, is instrumental in managing the firm’s relationships with key clients.
Other key lawyers:
Ciaran Hickey; Jason Fisher
‘The team were very impressive and helped us massively navigate a deal which was quite complex. They suggested various mechanisms and fixes throughout, and always gave us a great view from multiple team members which I personally enjoyed as things were debated and discussed as a team helping us to reach the right position. I would highly recommend Wiggin.’
‘All team members brought different attributes to the deal. The leadership and client management skills felt very personalised and I felt like I was being supported by a really diligent and skilled team. The team’s knowledge of similar deals in our sector was also a massive win for us.’
‘Good all-round knowledge with a very pragmatic and commercial approach to getting things done. Excellent guides and sounding board for me and my management team.’
‘I have worked with Ben Whitelock on a number of transactions. He’s an experienced and commercially-minded lawyer with an excellent team of associates, juniors and individual subject matter experts. Always available and just as willing to advise when to push a point as when not.’
‘Wiggin provides a true partner-led service at extremely competitive rates. They are flexible in their approach to billing and fees, which has been extremely helpful in recent times whilst still maintaining first rate client care.’
‘Jason Fisher stands out. Always available, easily able to go toe to toe with much larger global firms whist providing first class client service and technical legal advice.’
Flutter Entertainment / The Stars Group
Racecourse Media Group
- Advised the shareholders of Wildstar Films on the sale of the Company to Fremantle.
- Advised the majority shareholders of Digital Sports Mgmt (a leading sports marketing, gaming and entertainment agency) on the sale of a majority share to YMU.
- Advised Broadway Gaming (the leading independent online bingo operator) on its acquisition of UK online bingo division of 888 Holdings plc (the leading international gambling operator which is in the process of acquiring William Hill) for a consideration of up to US$50m.
Withers LLP‘s growing London team draws praise from a range of clients for its ‘expertise’ and ‘knowledge’ across the pharmaceutical and life sciences, technology, hospitality, sport and luxury brands sectors. The practice is spearheaded by Paul McGrath, who has a particular focus on closely-held businesses and their owners, including entrepreneurs and families. Sarah Melaney is a tech specialist who has extensive experience advising high-growth companies and investors on investment rounds, scale-ups, exits and general corporate governance. The team has been strengthened by the arrival of Phil Robinson, who joined from Ignition Law Services Limited in September 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Graham Webster; Sharon Whitehouse; Tim Taylor; Philip Watkins; Mark Lynch; Victoria Rodley; Phil Robinson; Sarrah Melaney; Edmund Goodin; James Hamilton; Anges Macduff; Sheeraz Salar
‘Strong expertise, knowledge, availability of practice areas.’
‘Availability, flexibility, knowledge, personalities.’
‘I cannot speak highly enough of Sharon Whitehouse’s exceptional performance during our M&A/corporate restructuring. Her expertise, professionalism, and dedication were invaluable, resulting in a smooth and successful restructuring process. I highly recommend her services.’
Galileo Global Education UK Limited
- Advising the sellers on the sale of the EastHORN group to Novotech.
Founded in 2019, KPMG Law leverages the comprehensive capabilities of the Big Four firm to advise clients on a host of corporate matters. The team has a track record of advising on complex cross-border deals, regularly drawing on the resources of its in-house team of legal technologists. The practice is steered by Kate Eades, who has extensive experience in M&A transactions, business structuring and corporate advisory. Both Richard Woods and Tanvir Dhanoa were promoted to the partnership in 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Woods; Tanvir Dhanoa
Axis Spine Technologies Limited
Guardian Angel Network Limited
Wealth Dynamics Limited
- Acting for the selling shareholders of Wealth Dynamics Limites on the cross-border sale of a controlling interest in the company to CA Indosuez, a group company of Credit Agricole.
- Advising Axis Spine Technologies Ltd on raising US$12.5 million through new investment from exisiting investor Mercia Asset Management plc, alongside US-based MedTex Ventures and other private investors, in exchange for new shareholdings.
- Advising the founder of Guardian Angel Network Limited on the company’s sale to Octopus Capital.
Armstrong Teasdale‘s corporate team is noted for its growing presence in the IT, medical technology, advanced manufacturing and branded businesses sectors. The practice is noted for its proficiency in cross-border transactions where practice head Peter Kohl – a dual-qualified practitioner in the UK and US – is an active figure. Joan Yu, who leads the firm’s capital markets group, specialises in public M&A and cross-border transactions. Una Deretic is recommended for her expertise in retail and natural resources M&A, particularly on deals with an international aspect.
Other key lawyers:
Joan Yu; Una Deretic; Yvonne Costello; Coral Yu
‘Very experienced corporate department. Clarity of communication is their key strength. Clients like working with their straightforward approach.’
‘Una Deretic is an experienced and first-class operator. Diligent, hardworking and clear communicator. Focusses on key deliverables and not minutiae.’
Applegreen Plc / Welcome Break
United Oil & Gas Plc
Victoria Oil & Gas Plc
Pembridge Resources Plc
VSA Capital Limited
Silverwood Brands Plc
- Advised AQSE-quoted Silverwood Brands Plc in connection with its acquisition of a minority stakes in Lush, a British skincare and cosmetics manufacturer and retailer. Deal value £216.8 million.
- Advised RDCP Group Limited on in its acquisition of a 75% stake in precision engineering group Pexion, in a transaction valued at £34 million.
- Advised the principal shareholders of Tictrac Limited, a leading wellness software company in the U.K., in the sale of all the shares of the company to Dialogue Health Technologies Inc., a leading healthcare provider listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Deal value £36 million.
With experience of handling both public and private M&A transactions, the corporate team at BDB Pitmans is routinely instructed by a diverse client base, including private individuals, start-ups and entrepreneurs. Practice head Philip Lamb has over 30 years’ experience advising companies on acquisitions and disposals and has particular expertise advising entrepreneurs in the technology and biotech sectors. Robert Chidley went to Freeths in November 2022, while Nick McCarthy left to join Shoosmiths in December. Tessa Trevelyan Thomas left the firm to join Fladgate LLP in April 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Hollie Gallagher; Mireille Turner
Sullivan Street Partners Limited
Frenkel Topping PLC
Candy Ventures Sarl
Smurfit Kappa UK Ltd
Primarily focused on private acquisitions and disposals, the ‘ highly skilled’ corporate team at Blake Morgan LLP acts for international companies, SMEs, founder-managed businesses and start-ups across the technology, media, engineering and financial services sectors. Practice head Martin Kay - praised for his ‘attention to detail’ - is highly experienced in both on and off-market M&A. Michelle Davenport is noted for her expertise on a range of corporate matters, including exit strategies, M&A and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
Stojan Essex; Dov Katz; Lawrence Phillips; Ian Skuse; David Daws; Julian Goulding; Michelle Davenport
‘I found the Blake Morgan team to be highly skilled and experienced lawyers who have a deep understanding of the corporate world and its legal complexities.’
‘The firm’s approach is client-centric, and they take the time to understand their clients’ unique needs and goals. Martin and his team are highly knowledgeable and experienced in most areas of corporate law, including capital markets regulation and corporate governance.’
‘Martin Kay has great attention to detail and his dedication to getting the job done right is truly impressive. Martin is always available to answer questions, provide guidance, and offer support throughout the client relationship, not only on transactions.’
Air France KLM
Alexander Associates Technical Recruitment Ltd
Babylon Park UK Play & Entertainment Ltd
Cogora Group Limited
CVS Group Plc
Engage In-Health Limited
Foster Denovo Group
Globe Invest Limited
KCR Residential REIT Plc
Kerry Group Plc
Marketcom Technology Limited
Multiply AI Limited
NV5 Global Inc
Osirium Technologies Plc
Ramona-Rika Hazan and Global Real Estate Limited (BVI Company)
SP 2018 Limited
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited
Sustainable Harvest, Inc
Telecom Italia SpA and its subsidiaries
- Acted for Foster Denovo Group Limited on a private equity investment of up to £100m from US private equity group, Crestline, to fuel its consolidation strategy and to grow its business through acquisitions.
- Acted for NV5 Global Inc. a NASDAQ listed provider of technical engineering and consultancy services in its purchase of the entire issued share capital of L3Harris Geospatial Solutions UK Limited.
- Advised the shareholders of the Smithers Purslow group on the sale of the group to Gateley Holdings PLC, the legal and professional services group, as part of its expansion into professional services provision.
Noted for its ability to blend private client advice with corporate and commercial expertise, Boodle Hatfield LLP handles a broad range of M&A transactions for business owners, international entrepreneurs and family businesses. Practice head Richard Beavan - who also heads up the entrepreneurs team - routinely advises family businesses and UHNW individuals on the set-up, structuring and ongoing management of their enterprises and investments. Clients turn to Rahul Thakrar for banking and financial advice, having undertaken all of his Chartered Financial Analyst examinations. Partner Richard Elliott joined the team from Ince & Co in October 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Rahul Thakrar; Richard Elliot; Charlie Hewlett; Fred Clark
‘Understanding, flexible and take the time to understand client needs.’
‘Richard Elliott has shown time and time again to be clear, precise, very knowledgeable and a real asset for any M&A deal.’
Praised for its ‘wide range of capabilities’, the corporate team at Browne Jacobson LLP is well placed to advise clients across the financial services, insurance, energy, automotive and leisure sectors. In recent years, the firm has been especially dedicated to expanding its presence in the technology sector. Practice head Jon Snade who has particular expertise in the technology space, specialising in fintech and insurtech deals. Harry Pearson is also noted for his experience in a range of transactional mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Harry Pearson; Sandra Wong
‘Wide range of capabilities within the team and ability to designate staff at the appropriate level. We have confidence in the advice given. Also good at introductions to excellent providers in non-legal areas.’
‘We receive service from Browne Jacobson staff who look after all our needs but introduce members of the team from other specific areas as required. This gives continuity and ensures that key members of their team have an excellent knowledge of our business which has seen constant change over the period since their appointment. I would give special mention to Sandra Wong and Harry Pearson.’
Agilico Bidco Limited
Clean Power Hydrogen plc
Equals Group plc
MSQ Partners Limited
Bridge Farm Group
Lloyds Development Capital (LDC)
Connect Managed Services group (inc. Project Phoenix Bidco Limited)
CARE Fertility Holdings Limited
Shareholders of Blue Light Card Limited
Praised by clients for its ‘pragmatic, commercial approach’, the corporate team at Dorsey & Whitney is well positioned to advise clients across the technology, healthcare and financial services sectors. In recent years, the practice has developed a specialism advising sports media companies on M&A activity. The practice is steered by Kate Francis, who focuses on M&A – both domestic and cross-border – and capital market transactions. Fabrizio Carpanini, described as a ‘master of detail’, covers the entire spectrum of transactional work, including corporate finance and international joint ventures. The team has been bolstered by the arrival of Jamie Crawford from Gateley Legal in March 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Taylor; Fabrizio Carpanini; Carsten Greve; Stewart Worthy; Alan Farkas; Paul Thompson; Luk Trewhela; Harsha Goel
‘Extremely switched-on team with a strong, pragmatic, commercial approach to getting deals across the line.’
‘Fabrizio Carpanini is very attentive and a master of detail. Kept abreast of the intricate details throughout the deal process and wherever he happened to be in the world!’
‘Harsha Goel is a very smart young lawyer. His methodical working methods were much needed and valued throughout the twists and turns of the deal.’
‘Very personable and explain everything in detail.’
‘Friendly and considerate with a unique ability to feel what clients feel.’
‘It is very rare to find a team that are so committed to you as a client.’
‘Great people and an honest pleasure to deal with.’
‘They made my transaction easy to deal with by being available with quick responses.’
Nova Capital Management Limited
Logicalis UK Limited
Rowanwood Professional Services Limited
PIB Group Limited
Davies Group Limited
IO Integration Inc
Praised for both its ‘pragmatism and commercial acumen’, the corporate team at Druces LLP works on a host of complex M&A transactions for clients operating in the healthcare, infrastructure and Sharia compliant finance sectors. Practice head Christopher Axford continues to advise leading players in health and social care, with a particular interest in regulated businesses and Sharia compliant structuring. The ‘terrific’ Antony Cotton is a key port of call for early-stage companies operating in the fintech sector. Caroline Cropley – who heads up the corporate restructuring practice – was promoted to partner in May 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Ronaldson; Neil Pfister; Antony Cotton; Jack Dervyn; Caroline Cropley; Claire Rigby
‘The team combines pragmatism and commercial acumen with detailed legal know how – they practice ‘the business of law’. Their broad experience allows them to anticipate the drivers and likely approaches taken by counterparts, which helped enormously in shaping documents and finding solutions and compromises.’
‘Impressive levels of client service, responsiveness and willingness to work collaboratively with other advisors to get the right result for the client. Highly technical team and able to think through practical solutions.’
‘It is a pleasure to work with Claire Rigby on transactions – she is professional, responsive and always puts the client’s needs first. She and her team work proactively and collaboratively with the client’s wider advisor team to secure the right result on a timely basis for the client.’
‘The team successfully combined a highly technical skill base with a straightforward and pragmatic approach. They wear their expertise lightly and build incredibly supportive and effective deal teams.’
‘Claire Rigby is authoritative and informed but highly personable and enjoyable to work with. She understands the value of a close knit deal team across all advisors and works hard to deliver that.’
‘Antony Cotton is responsive, agile and really drives momentum on transactions. He has a no-nonsense approach and knows when to cut to the chase.’
‘Antony Cotton took a hands-on approach, led the client through the legals on a sale process producing a great result for the client. Antony consistently made himself available, clearly making the client a priority.’
‘Claire Rigby drove the deal from a legal perspective and was very collaborative with other sell-side advisers. Communicated on a regular basis which made for a well-run sales process, with both financial and legal advisers working in harmony.’
Ideal Industries Inc
Cool Planet Technologies Ltd
EV Metals Group PLC
Global Fintech Investments Holding AG
Integrum Care Group
Belevedere Leisure Group
- Advised Ideal Industries Inc in relation to the sale of the entire issued share capital of Casella Holdings Limited to TSI Incorporated Limited.
- Advised Ideal Industries Inc in relation to the sale of the entire issued share capital of CMD Limited to Rubicon Partners Advisers LLP.
- Advised on the sale of Silobreaker Group, a leading cybersecurity risk and threat intelligence Software-as-a-Service (SaaS).
Bolstered by its membership of international legal network, Ally Law, Edwin Coe LLP is noted for the depth of its cross-border capabilities, regularly acting for overseas companies investing in the UK. The practice is steered by Russel Shear, who is regularly engaged by public and private companies on complex M&A matters. Alexandre Terrasse, described by clients as ‘pragmatic’ and ‘proactive’, advises French companies, entrepreneurs and individuals on all aspects of corporate and commercial transactions. Jamal Saleh joined the team from Withers LLP in October 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Bellau; David Kinch; Alexandre Terrasse; Jamal Saleh; Nilufar Shahpanahi
‘High availability and responsiveness. A pragmatic view of the deals.’
‘A consistently high standard of advice across all teams and the members of each team together with a willingness to take time to understand business needs and client aspirations all combined with a speed of response we have seldom experienced from other legal advisers.’
‘Hourly rates compare very favourably with other similar practices and time spent is kept to a minimum given the expertise and experience of all individuals advising.’
‘Daniel Bellau took time to understand our business and the intricacies of the deal we had struck with the buyer, ensuring that all documentation reflected the complex detail required in our business sector. We always considered that he represented us fairly and robustly when appropriate.’
‘Nilufar Shahpanahi worked tirelessly throughout a protracted transaction to ensure we achieved completion. She was always available to discuss concerns.’
‘We regularly work with Alexandre Terrasse and his team on cross-border M&A transactions and English corporate law issues. Alexandre and his team are very responsive and their work is of high quality. Their approach to cases is pragmatic and their responses are adapted to each type of client.’
‘Alexandre is pragmatic, constructive, proactive and reactive. His responses are adapted to each of the issues dealt with and allow us to move forward with confidence in complex situations.’
Nano Dimension Limited
FRP Trading Advisory Limited
The owners of the New Century Care Homes chain
Swaine Group Limited / Chargeurs Group
The Winncare Group / Siparex
Xynergy Groupe SAS
The shareholders of Della AI Limited
Morris Care Limited
Shareholders of TSS (Total Security Services) Limited
Royal Road Minerals Limited
TCM Living Limited
- Advising the administrators of Truphone Limited, on the pre-packaged sale of the business and assets of Truphone to well-known entrepreneurs Hakan Koç and Pyrros Koussios.
- Advised Morris & Company on the £60m sale of a care home portfolio to Impact Healthcare REIT plc.
- Advised the shareholders on the sale of a leading piece of Legal AI technology to Wolters Kluwer.
Fielding a ‘true partner-led service’, Freeths LLP regularly assists clients on M&A, private equity and capital markets transactions. Practice head Tom Rowley acts for clients across a range of sectors on the full gamut of transactional and commercial matters. The ‘gifted’ Francis Dalton has particular expertise in funding rounds and M&A, notably acting for regulated tech and IP-focused companies. The team has recently been strengthened by a number of new recruits from BDB Pitmans, including Angelina Mikelove Szentpali and Robert Chidley, who joined in October 2022 and November 2022, respectively. Peter Hill retired in March 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Francis Dalton; Robert Chidley; Matthew Cooper; Naomi Spring
‘It is a true partner-led service it doesn’t just say that it is and a true team where members can dip in and out of projects and the service level, expertise and historical client knowledge is not impaired. Lots of firms say it but few actually deliver that.’
‘Francis Dalton is gifted technically with an ability to distill and explain complicated points and find practical commercial solutions with a really pragmatic approach – a pleasure to work with.’
Vero Screening Limited
Solomon Capital Holdings
Samskip Multimodal BV
Phenutest Diagnostics Limited
Autins Group Plc
Hanover Investors Management LLP
Celeres Investment Limited
Perci Health Ltd
Cambridge Power Limited
- Advised the shareholders of Vero Screening Limited on sale to Accurate Background, the largest privately held provider of compliant background checks, drug and health screening and monitoring solutions in the USA.
- Advised the shareholders on the sale of their entire issued share capital of Optimal Medical Limited, a company based in Skipton to a Swedish publicly-listed company, Dedicare A.B..
- Acted on the c. USD 250m sale of Tescan Orsay Holding a.s., a Czech-incorporated company in the life sciences sector, by a dozen different sellers in the Czech Republic and France to global investment PE firm Carlyle.
Marriott Harrison LLP fields a ‘commercially agile’ corporate team, well regarded for its capabilities in advising progressive private corporate and leading investors on the full scope of M&A transactions. The team has been increasingly active on cross-border M&A transactions aimed at venture capital backed businesses in the last year. Practice head Jonathan Leigh-Hunt acts for a diverse roster of clients – including management teams, owners and investee companies – on a host of corporate transactions. Ben Devons has experience across the media, technology, retail and professional services sectors, and has been described as a practitioner who is ‘calm, composed but robustly defends clients on key issues.’
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Jacob; Andrew Ross; Hugh Gardner; Jon Sweet; Ben Devons; David Bettis; Katerina Heal; David Baverstock; James Stenning; Troy Featherstone; Rima Mehay; Despina Devons
‘Jon Sweet – experience, wisdom, responsiveness, just excellent to deal with.’
‘Great blend of knowledge and commercial awareness.’
‘Ben Devons is my go-to lawyer to refer all corporate clients. Very good on detail. Calm and composed, but robustly defends clients on key issues.’
‘The team is commercially agile and very reactive in understanding objectives. Extremely reactive and well-organised, always meeting deadlines. Professional approach with a personal touch.’
‘The understanding and personal support that is provided across the team is unprecedented, Highly recommend them.’
‘The level of care and speciality that was used in our company buyout was well beyond what we had expected. MH seem to have a specialist for every area of the process, which leads to a smooth transaction. Communication is also outstanding across the board.’
‘David Baverstock, Daniel Jacob, Rima Mehay, Despina Devons, to name a few, are all outstanding.’
The Fulham Shore plc
Delta Capital Group
Planet Organic Limited
Perfect Image Ltd
- Advised Chiltern Capital on the management buyout of International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), a surface materials specialist manufactured distributor.
- Acted for the selling shareholders of Hamilton Fraser to a leading PE backed UK insurance intermediary.
- Advised Sophos, a global leader in next-generation cyber security, on its acquisition of SOC.OS Cyber Security Ltd, a spinout of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence.
With an expansive global legal network, PwC LLP handles a considerable number of cross-border deals for a diverse roster of clients hailing from the financial services, technology, media, sports, real estate and natural resources sectors. John Clegg, who leads the private business and deals team, is noted for his focus on domestic and international business reorganisations, corporate restructuring and both domestic and cross-border M&A. Director Rebecca Boyers heads the structuring side of the team, acting on numerous corporate reorganisation projects for privately owned business groups. With over 15 years of transactional experience, Michael Brunnock‘s client base ranges from international corporate groups, private equity firms, and VC-backed companies, through to owner managed businesses, HNW individuals and entrepreneurs.
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Boyers; Michael Brunnock; Joe Cobley; Stephen Richards; Bianca Huyton
‘They always responded appropriately and in a timely manner, pointing out the necessary risks and responding with realistic flexibility.’
Lazari Investments Limited
Commercial Estates Group Limited
Healthspan Group Limited
PEXA Group Limited
MITIE Group plc
Produce Investments Limited
Tarmac UK Limited
Spearhead International Limited
- Advised Lazari Investments Limited on the funding, structuring and acquisition of a group of companies holding the iconic Fenwick’s Department Store on New Bond Street.
- Advised the majority shareholders of Healthspanm Group Limited, the UK’s leading direct-to-consumer vitamin and supplement brand, on its c.£85 million cross-border disposal to Oral Health AS.
- Advised fintech company PEXA Group Limited, which is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, on its £13.5 million cross-border acquisition of Optima Legal Services Limited from Capita plc.
Praised by one client for possessing ‘a level of technical knowledge unrivalled by any other’, the corporate team at Teacher Stern LLP handles the full gamut of corporate transactions for a client base spanning from international corporates to entrepreneur-led companies. The practice is jointly headed up by David Ponsford and Kelly Whitfield, whose expertise includes limited liability partnership agreements. Other key figures include David Salisbury, who is particularly experienced in sports-based work, and Claire Rollo, who advises various SMEs across a range of sectors, spanning hospitality, real estate and security services.
Kelly Whitfield; David Ponsford
Other key lawyers:
David Salisbury; Claire Rollo; Arran Brooker; Tom Ginot; David Irwin; David Phillips; Phil Berry
‘David Ponsford is thoughtful, technically savvy and commercial.’
‘The team is big enough to cover the necessary areas, and it is small enough to run effectively and efficiently. It is important from the client’s perspective to ensure, as much as possible, the consistency in terms of quality, responsiveness, commercial awareness and reliable delivery.’
‘David Ponsford definitely stands out. He is always very responsive, ensuring clients have his attention. More importantly, his commercial awareness and practical approach is definitely an asset for the client to success in a transaction. Undoubtedly very competent in the area he has been advising.’
‘The team is clearly very knowledgeable and dedicated to their clients. Their level of technical knowledge is unrivalled by any other. They go above and beyond to deliver the results the clients want. I know I can always depend on their profound expertise and professionalism.’
‘I have worked with them for numerous years and they are always extremely efficient. They always exceed my expectations with their service. David Ponsford, David Irwin, David Phillips and Phil Berry are just a few names that I could mention.’
‘The absolute key here is that you are hiring a team. However big or small a job/transaction is, there is always a team that is supporting you directly. They bring out the best-in-class expertise even if in the background, so one doesn’t need to look elsewhere.’
‘They listen before they offer advice. David Ponsford and his team have always taken a very collaborative approach enabling us to play out various alternatives before taking a particular course of action in our transactions.’
‘Great availability, professional, and great service.’
Aurora Managed Services Group
Baudoin & Lange
Cardiff Road Estates
Centennial Properties Limited
El Al Airlines
Football Writers Association
Genius Sports Group
Sports Invest UK
Wildstone Estates Limited
- Acting for Ganfeng Lithium on the Companies Act squeeze out process in relation to Bacanora Lithium Plc (following its successful takeover by Ganfeng Lithium), and subsequently acting for Ganfeng Lithium on two further acquisitions.
- Acting for Pozitive Energy on its buy and build strategy, including the successful acquisition of First Business Water Limited.
- Acting for Aurora Managed Services Group on its buy and build strategy.
Well-regarded for its ability find ‘solutions to complex situations or dilemmas’, the corporate team at Forsters LLP advises clients across a range of sectors, including financial services, technology, biotech, real estate, employment and leisure. The practice is headed up by Stuart Hatcher, who possesses the capabilities to advise across the full range of domestic and international corporate law issues, including M&A, venture capital, private equity and other shareholder investments.
Other key lawyers:
Craig Thompson; Dearbhla Quigley; Christine Dubignon; Alastair Laing; Naomi Trinh
‘They understand big deals and little deals and the client’s needs going into them. They have a good price point for billing, adjusting to meet the deal numbers. A very good experience from a knowledge of the industry and efficiency of service.’
‘Dearbhla Quigley is truly phenomenal. She is practical, down to earth, with a deep understanding of sophisticated deals and financial instruments. The value proposition on fees is profound – we will use them any day, all day.’
‘The team is always commercially thinking along and helps to finding solutions to complex situations or dilemmas.’
- Advised Artfarm Group (owned by private clients Iwan and Manuela Wirth) to acquire the Groucho Club in Soho.
- Advised Tungsten Properties, (a property development company) which is a long-standing client of our top ranked Commercial Real Estate practice, on its high-value joint venture with BC Partners, a leading alternative investment manager.
- Advised Campari Group, the international drinks business, on its investment in a brand incubator (Catalyst Spirits) to create and develop a series of new alcoholic beverage products in the market.
Particularly noted for its capabilities in real estate-driven transactions, GSC Solicitors LLP is regularly engaged on multi-million-pound deals across the care, tech, manufacturing and professional services sectors, to name a few. Practice head Clive Halperin is praised by clients for his ‘star quality, profound knowledge and legal talent.’ David Nathan – who specialises in hospitality and care sector matters – is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Corporate Commercial team led by Clive Halperin has got a great combination of an exceptional skill set and the ability to exceed expectations that a client as. I believe that what differs GSC Solicitors from other law firms is their commerciality and legal talent that translates through every aspect of dealing with their clients as well as consistently hard work to understand the client and to get to the heart of client’s business coupled with good value for money.. Real problem solvers and highly professional and business focussed. They are also very nice people to deal with so you feel that absolutely nothing can ever go wrong when you have GSC people on your team. Altogether, this leads to a great long-term relationship.’
‘The commercial advice provided by Clive Halperin was exceptional. This was truly a client-focused service where it was not just about receiving the best possible commercial advice but also understanding what the client needs. Clive assisted me on a variety of commercial aspects and helped me set up one of my businesses. One of the aspects of Clive’s approach is his innovative and entrepreneurial thinking that at times may go beyond just law. I felt very well looked after. I also appreciated Clive’s authentically warm personality, quick responses and his support. I would highly recommend Clive to future clients also for his star quality, profound knowledge and legal talent.’
- Acted for the two largest shareholders of CareTech Holdings in a £1bn transaction taking the company from public to private ownership, and then acted for CareTech Holdings Limited on a £200m property portfolio sale and leaseback investment by Civitas Investment Management Limited.
- Advised Queensway Hotels Limited in relation to new rollover reinvestment, joint venture arrangements and management regarding Point A Hotels. These new arrangements were put in place following the sale of shares in the hotel group’s holding company to Tristan Capital Partners for around £422 million.
- Acted for Factotum Group LLP in its purchase of the business and assets of an IT services company.
Steered by corporate finance expert Aselle Djumabaeva-Wood, the team at Hamlins LLP is regularly engaged by entrepreneurs, SMEs and large corporates across a range of sectors. The practice is well regarded for its expertise in the technology and media arenas, in particular. Roger Pointon - who joined the team as a consultant from Hill Dickinson LLP - brings more than 20 years of experience acting on acquisitions, management buy-ins and mergers. Richard Britain left the firm for an in-house role in October 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Hamilton – Pyramid Europe
Ninja Leisure Limited
- Acting for Hamilton – Pyramid Europe on a new joint venture with Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPP Investments) focused on the European hospitality sector. The acquisition of the first asset in the portfolio, hotel W Rome, Italy, completed in 2022.
- Advising SailGP on the creation of the world’s first entirely fan-owned sports team.
- Acting for Ninja Leisure Limited, a subsidiary of Burhill Group Limited, in relation to the acquisition of the entire share capital of the company operating Ninja Warrior Adventure Park in Manchester.
Roundly praised by clients for its ‘national coverage’ and ‘international reach’, Irwin Mitchell‘s corporate team is well positioned to assist clients across the technology, insurance, real estate and fintech sectors. As an exclusive UK member of the First Law International, a global network of independent international law firms, the practice boasts a considerable international platform. ‘Commercial’ practice head Bryan Bletso focuses primarily on private company work on an international scale. Technology and real estate expert Ben Gale - who works closely with Blesto - is praised by clients for his ‘very knowledgable insights’. The team was recently strengthened by the arrival of Kate Featherstone and James Arnold, who both joined from Knights plc in February 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Debbie Serota; Ben Gale; Richard Collins; Christian Vale; Ben Jones; Kate Featherstone; James Arnold
‘National coverage, international reach.’
‘Bryan Bletso – commercial, external perspective, international outlook.’
‘It’s the go to place for any legal-related aspect, as they cover a wide range of subjects and provide very quick and thoughtful advice.’
‘For us, they are more than a service provider. They are long time partners with a long relationship and track record with us. This enables the team, and Ben Gale in particular, to provide very knowledgable insights taking into account our own specificities.’
Daniel Joseph McGuire
The Source (Hastings) Holdings Limited
Weiss Technik GmbH
Combined Technical Solutions Limited
Selling shareholders of Combined Technical Solutions Limited
Amantys Power Electronics Ltd
- Advised the majority shareholders in the sale of part of the issued share capital of Combined Technical Solutions Limited, a leading supplier of contractor management solutions to Apleona Limited.
- Advised Dan McGuire on the disposal of his entire shareholding in cube19 Ltd, a recruitment technology company, as part of the wider sale of the entire issued share capital of the company to large US firm, Bullhorn Inc.
- Acted for Weiss Technik GmbH on its acquisition from Varium Holdings Limited of the entire issued share capital of Ascott Analytical Equipment Ltd.
Noted for its depth of experience and commercial acumen, the corporate team at Keystone Law is regularly engaged by SMEs, entrepreneurs and larger corporates, with a notable focus on the TMT and healthcare sectors. The practice boasts an experienced bench of partners which include Nadim Zaman, Edward Dawes, Andrew Stilton and Geoffrey Davies. Dee Sian continues to undertake a broad range of M&A and venture capital transactions, while Stuart Mathews joined from McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP in spring 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Jeremy Davis; Nadim Zaman; Edward Dawes; Dee Sian; Andrew Stilton; Geoffrey Davies; Simon Holden; JP Irvine; Stuart Mathews; Charles Frank
‘Edward Dawes displayed significant confidence, expertise and efficiency.’
‘Edward Dawes is clearly an expert in his field and deals courteously but firmly in negotiations which got the deal done. Drafting was concise and explanations were given willingly whenever required.’
World Programming Limited
Mustang Energy PLC
Ama Corporation PLC
Paul Swinton and Robert Anderson
food`or International GmbH
Shareholders of Jexo Tech Ltd
Goldhawk Productions Limited
Shareholders of Translatemedia Limited
Cognitive Group Limited
The partners of Okells with Francis Law LLP
Resolution Reichert Network Solutions GmbH
Allegheny Technologies Incorporated
Hybrid Air Vehicles Limited
Myzone Holdings Limited
- Advised Alaco, a global leader in the business intelligence industry, on its sale to Sigma7, a risk information and services company.
- Advised Tom Limb, the founder of Videvo on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Oxford Media Solutions Limited to Freepik Company S.L.
- Advised advised Allegheny Technologies Incorporated (ATI) on the sale of Allegheny Technologies Limited, one of its UK subsidiaries, to Mutares SE & Co. KGaA.
The ‘knowledgable’ M&A team at Kingsley Napley LLP is lauded by clients for its ‘wide range of skills’ and ‘superb’ work ethic. Counting entrepreneurs and early stage, high-growth, owner-managed businesses among its key roster of clients, the practice benefits from a specialist technology sub-team, working with clients through their investment rounds to an eventual exit. The practice is steered by James Fulforth who is noted for his specialism advising entrepreneurs and high-net worth individuals on their business interests.
Other key lawyers:
David Davies; John Young; Anthony Macpherson; Andrew Solomon
‘The team were so knowledgeable in the M&A space. They were constantly adequately resourced for a fast turnaround and wide range of skills and it was cost-effective for 5-star service and ability. I was delighted with the team and the service they provided. It really assisted us in getting the traction done in all areas.’
‘The work ethic was superb, we needed to work some long days and weekends in order to get the transaction done. They were on hand to answer any questions from my team or the buyer’s team late at night and at weekends, helping us get things done super efficiently.’
Sellers of LED Autolamps Europe LLP
Hambleden Capital Partners LLP
Copestone Wealth Management Limited
- Advised the individual sellers of the automotive technology firm, LED Autolamps Europe LLP, on its sale to Clarience Technologies.
- Advised the seller of the “Heardle” website on its sale to Spotify.
- Advised Dutch fintech specialist on its acquisition of 50% interest in UK crypto-asset decoding business.
Noted for its strong focus on start-ups and the technology sector, Russell-Cooke LLP is lauded by clients for its ‘breadth of knowledge’ and ‘speed of engagement’. Practice head Jonathan Thornton - who draws praise for his 'eye for detail' - specialises in high-value share and business sales and joint ventures. Emma Shipp is rated for her ‘incredible attention to detail’ and ‘calm’ manner.
Other key lawyers:
Emma Shipp; Guy Wilmot; Sally Johnston; Rachael Taylor; Olivia Bailhe; Alex Canning
‘Jonathan Thornton is great – providing practical workable solutions to complex business problems.’
‘Russell-Cooke is a vastly experienced company that delivers a high-level service to its clients. As a specialist tax firm, we work closely with solicitors, and Russell Cooke collaborated well with us, assisting us to plan the transaction.’
‘Rachael was very knowledgeable and spent time explaining the transaction to our client in a pragmatic way. This transaction incorporated an aspect we had never worked with before, however, Rachael understood the concept and delivered a suite of legal documents in a timely manner.’
‘They were technically extremely strong, giving us tremendous confidence that they would not miss anything. They gave us the very strong feeling that they were on our side and determined to represent our interests at every stage in the process.’
‘Emma Shipp is a fantastic lawyer. Technically very strong, incredible attention to detail, calm, clear, dogged, patient, with a good sense of humour as well. She was a great ally and made the whole process easier than it would otherwise have been. She was ably supported by Olivia Bailhe and Alex Canning who were also excellent throughout.’
‘The team are knowledgeable, responsive and willing to work work with a client to achieve the best outcome for our mutual client.
‘Close working relationship with the business, transparency and communication combine to make an efficient and effective relationship.’
‘Breadth of knowledge, speed of engagement and willingness to interact to take context and provide advice.’
Bumper International Limited
Basis Research Group
Oxbury Bank plc
Beavis Morgan LLP
Bloom Real Estate
Jigsaw Research Ltd
Isosceles Finance Ltd
- Advised Bumper International on a new SAFE instrument and secondary share sales as part of its £26.1m Series A extension.
- Advised Isosceles Finance and its founder on the sale of the company to Dains Accountants.
- Advised Jigsaw Research and its shareholders on the sale of the company to strategic insight consultancy group Strat7.
Widely praised by clients for its ‘commercial mindset’ and ‘breadth of knowledge’, the corporate team at RWK Goodman is a strong choice for a diverse roster of clients, advising on M&A, investments, joint ventures and disposals, among other matters. The team is spearheaded by John North, who has over 20 years of experience in a broad range of corporate and commercial transactions. Other notable individuals include Dominic Prentis, who is noted for his ‘razor sharp mind’ and ‘encyclopaedic knowledge of the law’, and Remy Ormesher, who is described as ‘incredibly knowledgeable, remarkably intelligent, clear and concise’.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Pull; Dominic Prentis; Remy Ormesher; Michelle Waligora
‘RWK Goodman are the most dynamic and collaborative practice I have worked with thoughout my 35 year business career. A bold statement but one which can be demonstrated by the 100% success factor with multiple and extremely diverse projects’.
‘Dominic Prentis: He possesses a razor sharp mind, an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law in the broadest sense, a pragmatic and calm approach to challenging situations.’
‘Remy Ormesher: with Dominic’s steer, Remy dealt with two particularly complex employment challenges that my business endured. Incredibly knowledgeable, remarkably intelligent, clear and concise in communication with a tight eye on costs and a delightful customer manner.’
Amberley Publishing Limited
Argus Media Limited
B.T. Batsford Books Limited
Catenae Innovation plc
Digimarc Corporation, Inc.
Finlayson Media Communications Limited
Harrogate Group plc
Health & Case Management Limited
Lok’nStore Group Plc
NIBE Industrier AB (publ)
Oxford Metrics plc
Paragon Risk Engineering Group Inc
Pooch & Mutt Limited
Trademark Global LLC
Tuffnells Parcels Express Limited
Transcend Packaging Limited
- Advised Oxford Metrics plc on the sale of its subsidiary, Yotta Limited, to Causeway Technologies Limited for £52m.
- Advised Lok’nStore Group plc on the sale and manage-back of four self-storage businesses to Self Storage Trading LLP for £39m.
- Advised the owners of Pythonanywhere LLP on the complex cross border-sale of the LLP to Anaconda Inc.
Simons Muirhead Burton is consistently sought out by start-ups and growth companies, multinationals and private equity funds, who turn to the ‘highly skilled’ team for its capabilities in private company M&A and investment transactions. The practice is jointly steered by Natalie Wright and Peter Weiss; Wright is a key port of call for clients operating in the retail and beauty sectors, while Weiss is noted for his expertise in advising on corporate finance transactions. The team has been strengthened by the arrival of Ben Klinger, who joined from Seddons in March 2022, and Alon Domb, who joined from Ince & Co in January 2023. Rosalyn Breedy left the firm in July 2022.
Natalie Wright; Peter Weiss
Other key lawyers:
Neal Hodges; Ben Klinger; Alon Domb
‘Casual collaborative approach. You have access to the various skills within the company.’
‘Casual approach, understanding the key points and not making a big issue on non-commercial stuff.’
‘Their team comprises highly skilled professionals with extensive expertise in their respective fields. Collaboration is at the heart of their practice.’
‘When comparing SM&B to other firms, they stand out, with a strong commitment to collaboration, innovative technology, client-centric approach, diversity, and customised solutions tailored to us and the various projects we have.’
‘Neal Hodges possesses extensive knowledge and expertise in corporate law and related areas. He has a deep understanding of the complexities of business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, securities regulations, and other relevant fields.’
‘Neal is adept at identifying key issues, analysing risks, and devising innovative solutions to complex problems.’
‘The M&A corporate team at SMB provide sensible, commercial advice to their clients to ensure that the deal moves forward in their clients best interests.’
‘Natalie Wright and Neal Hodges are star quality corporate lawyers, especially when it comes to M&A. They are my go-to legal team every time.’
42 M&P Limited and its shareholders
Banijay Kids & Family
Inviqa Group and its shareholders
The shareholders of Askonas Holt Limited
Business Marketing International Limited and its shareholders
Partners in ABG LLP (now Gravitas)
Shareholders in Equinoxe Limited
- Represented BaniJay on its acquisition of Man Tor productions.
- Acted on the sale of the entire share capital of Invite, an independent digital experience agencies, to Havas Group Limited.
- Advised 42 M&P (42) and its shareholders on a sale of shares to Lionsgate, with future put and call options and related rights.