Cobalt is particularly highly reputed for merger control and antitrust investigations. Practice head Rasa Zaščiurinskaitė has expertise in heavily regulated sectors such as energy, pharmaceuticals and aviation. She is supported by corporate partners Elijus Burgis and managing partner Irmantus Norkus, whose longstanding experience in M&A extends to merger clearance matters. Telecoms and sport are two other areas of interest.
EU and competition in Lithuania
Other key lawyers:
Elijus Burgis; Irmantus Norkus
Air Baltic Corporation
Estrella Baltics (part of Intersnack Group)
Lietuvos geležinkeliai (Lithuanian Railways)
Riga International Airport
ARX (official Skoda importer in Lithuania)
Lords LB Asset Management
European Investment Bank
Lithuanian Business Support Agency
Benu, Tamro (Phoenix group)
Tolimojo keleivinio transporto kompanija
Lithuanian basketball league
- Represented Telecentras in merger clearance issues from selling its mobile internet business under the brand name “Mezon”.
- Advised Avitelos prekyba on its acquisition by its competitor of UAB GV Group.
- Advised the Lithuanian Basketball League in the investigation by the Lithuanian Competition Authority on the compliance of actions of the Lithuanian Basketball League and basketball clubs with prohibited agreements.
Described by clients as 'artists in their field', Ellex 's EU and competition team stands out for its work handling abuse of dominance investigations and state aid cases. Marius Juonys leads the competition sub-group and has extensive expertise in both abuses of dominance and merger control. State aid work is handled by Karolis Kačerauskas, who is also a respected name for public procurement work. The team also benefits from commercial partners Jaunius Gumbis and Dovile Greblikiene, who are also known to handle competition matters.
Jaunius Gumbis; Dovile Greblikiene; Marius Juonys; Karolis Kacerauskas
‘Ellex’s competition team members are the artists in their field. They know well local and on EU level legal rules, but most importantly, they always deep-dive into the essence of the business and find arguments absolutely creative – beyond any existing practise. Truly innovators. ’
‘Expertise level first of all, followed by extra fluent communication and ability to deconstruct even more complex scenarios into simple stories.’
‘I have mentioned Marius Juonys who is exceptional both as a competition lawyer as well as a person who is kind and caring. Although in such a difficult field of law he explains issues in simple terms, which makes him very reliable and close to everyday matters of the Company. I would also like to mention Karolis Kacerauskas who is a wonderful specialist in state aid issues and public procurement.’
‘I think that reputation and practical experience are the most relevant criteria for selecting competition lawyer. Since Lithuania is a small market, professional in-house lawyers know who is who on the market. Ellex has the best reputation, since they were probably the first law firm who started specializing in competition area many years ago. Furthermore, it is also known in the market that they successfully defended their clients in the largest competition cases.
‘My primary contact for competition-related matters is Marius Juonys, who is Ellex competition partner. He is probably one of the best competition lawyers in Lithuania and has a reputation of winning hard cases. As for myself, I appreciate his experience and knowledge of competition law. In most of the situations, he is able to provide explicit and practical advice and support his conclusions with reference to specific situations he has encountered during his years of practice.’
‘As already mentioned, Marius Juonys is a truly distinguished figure in the market in terms of expertise, experience and overall professionalism.’
The Republic of Lithuania
Telia Lietuva, AB
All Media Lithuania
Orlen Lietuva, AB
Siemens Osakeyhtio Lithuanian branch office
Novartis Pharma Services Inc. representative office
Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Lithuania
Baltic Post, UAB
ASSA ABLOY Czech & Slovakia S.R.O.
Viciunai Group, UAB
Vilniaus Duona UAB
Panevezio Statybos Trestas
Danske Bank A/S
Verslo Aptarnavimo Centras, UAB
Imlitex Holdings, UAB
Association Lietuvos Keliai
Lithuanian branch of Ergo Insurance
- Represented UAB Diginet LTU in a case concerning allegedly excessive pricing of online real estate classifieds by UAB Diginet LTU’s online classifieds website aruodas.lt.
- Represented Klaipedos Nafta AB before the EU General Court in a case concerning the alleged illegality of state aid provided for the operation of the liquefied gas terminal in Lithuania, Independence.
- Represented the Edenred Group in obtaining ‘phase II’ concentration clearance for its acquisition of a 60% stake and sole control in Lithuania’s EBV Finance.
TGS Baltic's team has 'vast experience in the local market' and 'deep knowledge of EU and local regulations'. It is particularly prominent in cartel investigations and state aid matters. Practice head Lauras Butkevičius has a strong track record in cartel investigations and has been regularly representing clients before the administrative courts. Telecoms and pharmaceuticals are two particular areas of activity. The group includes Lina Darulienė, who has previous experience of working as the head of the legal department of the Competition Council of Lithuania. Darius Miniotas has joined WALLESS.
Other key lawyers:
‘TGS Baltic’s EU and competition practice team is experienced in working with competition authorities, is focused on a proper assessment of the client’s individual situation and has an excellent understanding of industry specifics. ’
‘Lauras Butkevičius is easy to work with, always aims to make the client understand emerging legal issues and provides working solutions to them.’
‘Structured thinking, engagement and availability. Pleasure to work with.’
‘Client care, knowledge of pharma sector, business-oriented legal solutions, responsiveness – we always receive this from TGS Competition team. Partner Lauras Butkevicius is very well regarded competition and regulatory advisor with extreme client care focus. We are confident that we will get top-notch advice which will be not formalistic. ’
‘Tailor-made approach, flexible and cooperate. Professional advice. Always has a fresh and deep knowledge of business/industry.’
‘The team demonstrates very good knowledge of all recent practices of the EU Commission and courts.’
‘Lauras Butkevicius – I am pretty sure that Lauras is the best competition lawyer in Lithuania. Very business orientated, highly skilled, has a very good sight of the whole picture, has good insights’
‘The team stands out with excellent market knowledge, large experience in the field, good knowledge of the client (at least in our case).’
Lithuanian National Radio and Television
Avia Solutions Group
MG Baltic Investment
Lithuanian Chamber of Notaries
Energy System Operator
Vilnius Cogeneration Plant
Lithuanian Cable Television Association
Lietuvos oro uostai (Lithuanian Airports)
- Advised the operator of the Lithuanian LNG terminal project Klaipėdos nafta, AB on all state aid matters during the implementation of Lithuania’s strategic long-term LNG import project.
- Advised one the largest telecommunication company Tele2, UAB on its agreement with another telecommunications company Bite to create a shared radio access network in Lithuania and Latvia.
- Advising Citadele banka, AS on the Lithuanian merger control matters regarding acquisition of leasing business from UniCredit.
Motieka & Audzevicius
Motieka & Audzevicius is a 'top litigation law firm in Lithuania' with strengths in unfair competition, cartel investigations and EU law cases. Outside of disputes, the team is also known to handle merger clearances. Practice head Ramūnas Audzevičius works with senior associate Rita Paukšte, who specialises in competition litigation and is a growing name in the market. Clients describe her as 'smart and straightforward' and 'willing to confront the state when needed'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Rita is very smart and very straightforward. ’
‘Motieka & Audzevicius continues to affirm its reputation as a top litigation law firm in Lithuania’
‘The team has a broader approach than just an investigation or a case in court. Each time we are provided with analysis on how the competition authorities’
‘Very professional and goal-oriented team. Always ready to help. Very good communication and management of clients requests.’
Avia Solutions Group PLC
Reveno Media LTD (former Baltic Media Alliance Ltd)
City Service SE
Kauno grūdai, AB
FlyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines, BAB
Daw Lietuva, UAB
My Fitness AS
Reklamos arka, UAB
- Represented Reveno Media Ltd in a cross-border media law dispute regarding the application of the Audiovisual Media Services Directive against the Lithuanian Radio and Television Commission.
- Represented City Service SE in an alleged bid-rigging case.
- Advised Avia Solutions Group on a merger clearance regarding the cross-border acquisition of Bluebird Nordic.
Sorainen's competition work includes merger control, abuse of dominance cases and state aid matters. Daivis Švirinas combines expertise in competition, state aid and EU law with knowledge of the life sciences sector. Švirinas co-heads the practice with senior associate Monika Mališauskaitė-Vaupšienė, who is well-versed in merger control and anti-competitive agreements.
Daivis Švirinas; Monika Mališauskaitė-Vaupšienė
PGF (Polska Grupa Farmaceutyczna)
Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
INVL Asset Management
- Advising Bitė Lietuva UAB related to the network sharing agreement concluded between the client and another mobile operator – Tele2.
- Advised telecommunications company Bitė on signing an agreement with the Lithuanian Radio and Television Centre (Telecentras) on the acquisition of Telecentras‘ internet.
- Advising UniCredit on the disposal of UniCredit Leasing and its operations in the Baltics to Citadele Bank.
WALLESS' areas of strength include advising clients on merger control, and on the behavioural side, handling competition investigations. Practice head Laura Ziferman is an expert in competition, public procurement and public-private partnerships. Also recommended is Marius Dobilas. The team has been significantly strengthened recently, with Darius Miniotas joining from TGS Baltic. He is an expert in cartel investigations and abuse of dominance issues.
Other key lawyers:
Marius Dobilas; Darius Miniotas
Vilnius City Municipality Administration
Kaunas City Municipality Administration and later its utility company UAB Kauno švara
Sport School Baltų ainiai
UAB Topo Centras
AB Orlen Lietuva
Baltic Horizon Fund
- Advised Vilnius City Municipality in a state aid notification procedure before the European Commission.
- Represented Kautra before the Competition Council of Lithuania and Lithuanian courts a case of alleged breach of Competition Law.
- Represented Kaunas City Municipality in a case regarding the rights of national legislators and national competition supervising authorities to impose additional requirements for conclusion of in-house agreements.
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners advises on merger control and public procurement matters, and it also advises private equity funds on navigating EU and state aid regulations. Practice head Andrius Ivanauskas counts Mastercard and Apollo Group as key clients. He has experience of assisting clients with general compliance matters, as well as defending clients against the Competition Council of Lithuania.
Lithuanian driver training and qualification schools association (LVMA)
Apollo Group OÜ
UP Invest OÜ
Business Angels Fund
Iron Wolf Capital
Startup Wise Guys
Theatrical Film Distribution
- Advised longstanding client MasterCard on PSD2 implementation.
- Advised Theatrical Film Distribution, a distributor a major Hollywood films in the Baltics, on an alleged cartel investigation
- Advised Litcapital on compliance with complex EU public finance regulations, as well as structuring and incorporation of the fund and fund management company, and their licensing.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)’s Vilnius office advises on merger control and general compliance. M&A partner Tomas Rymeikis focuses on the competition aspects of corporate deals. He co-heads the practice with Rimtis Puišys, who is experienced in EU, competition and trade issues.
Rimtis Puišys; Tomas Rymeikis
Fortum Heat Lietuva
Berlin Chemie Menarini
- Advised Fortum on the EU law aspects of a waste-to-energy power plant.
Magnusson excels in merger clearance matters, and its practice is also noted for its additional strengths in unfair competition cases and cartel investigations. Ligita Ramanauskaitė combines competition expertise with knowledge of corporate and commercial law. Public procurement expert Marius Endzinas is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
New Bumani Invest
- Advised Movere Oy on a merger clearance procedure, which required analysis of activities of nearly 100 associated companies.
- As a subcontractor for Schönherr Rechtsanwälte, drafted the Lithuanian report of a study for the European Commission on regulatory and administrative requirements to enter and trade on the wholesale gas market
- Advised Kauno autobusai, the municipal provider of commute services in Kaunas City, on the public procurement for 85 new trolley buses.
The ‘business-oriented’ team at Primus Derling provides ‘practical solutions to very complex issues’, such as GDPR, public procurement and anti-money laundering. Practice head Giedrė Dailidėnaitė, who is an expert in competition and regulatory compliance, is notably active in the financial services and technology sectors. Another key figure in the group is Tomas Venckus, who is an expert in public procurement and has niche expertise in food supplement regulations.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Primus Derling team consistently sought and implemented business-oriented, practical solutions to very complex issues. They learned our company’s products and services quickly, enabling them to identify relevant issues and present options under applicable local laws. They also were extremely responsive to our needs, including many communications late at night and on weekends.’
‘Primus Derling lawyers, with whom our company works, are real professionals. They are well aware of our company’s needs, activities and business structure. Therefore, we quickly and efficiently find solutions that are best for our company.’
‘In competition law, we communicate with Giedre Dailydenaite. She has deep knowledge of our industry specifics, clients and competitors as well as legislation and legal practice towards special cases. The team is supplement with other partners in specific cases, thus in case we are uncertain of the solution, the firm provides a few solutions and opinions with pros and cons. I’m comfortable that our questions are answered by expert counsels.’
Blue Bridge Group
EMP Recycling UAB
Bunge Group (USA) member Kruszwica SA
Marketing Investment Group
- Advised Rafako SA on a major international 50% EU funded public procurement project by AB Lietuvos Energija for construction of a combined heat and electricity generation power plant.
- Advised Michelin Polska on EU consumer laws.
- Advised EMP recycling on its GDPR compliance.