Real estate and construction in Kenya
Anjarwalla & Khanna is a leading name for major real estate developments, including mixed-use developments and city projects. The firm acts for a number of major developers and has an extensive record in large-scale projects. Amyn Mussa and Mona Doshi jointly head the practice, which includes senior associates Adnan Khan, Caroline Karugu and Nicole Gichuhi.
Amyn Mussa; Mona Doshi
Actis Africa Real Estate
AVIC International Real Estate Kenya
Centum Investment Company
Paramount Chief Estate
Libya Oil Kenya
Centum Investment Company
- Advised Actis Africa Real Estate on its partnership with Improvon Group for the development of an A-grade product-specific warehouse and distribution park along Nairobi’s Eastern Bypass.
- Acting for Avic International Real Estate Kenya on its development of a mixed-use development comprising of one of tallest office blocks in Kenya, a modern retail and commercial centre, a five-star hotel and three residential apartment blocks.
- Advising the Sarit Centre on its expansion of a mall to include more retail and commercial space.
Bowmans has notable strength advising on large-scale master plan developments. It also has considerable construction expertise, along with land rights, conservation and leasing experience. Alex Njage covers both real estate and construction, while Philip Coulson adds additional senior level real estate expertise. Cornelius Kigera is recommended for real estate finance. Paras Shah and Muthoni Runji are also key members of the team. Senior associate Simon Kiriba is also noted.
Cornelius Kigera; Paras Shah
‘You can always see that the team wants to give you the best professional advice and goes an extra mile to liaise with other departments and entities to protect and serve you as the client. It is an easy team to talk to, always available to answer queries and delivers the work within the timelines they have set.‘
‘Bowmans is simply first class. Their legal knowledge is superb and I was extremely pleased with the legal services they provided.‘
‘Alex Njage, what other lawyer do you know that makes follow-up calls on a Sunday evening?‘
‘Simon Kiriba and Muthoni Runji were the best team to work with. As an in-house counsel, they gave the best support and delivered the work to beat deadlines that were tough, set by our investors. What makes them stand out is the extra level of professionalism, caring about you as a client and going out of their way is truly remarkable.’
Oryx Limited (Loisaba Conservancy)
Black Gold Ventures
Stanley & Son
Majid Al Futtaim Hypermarkets Limited (Carrefour)
The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
- Advised Tullow Kenya on land access and infrastructure access for the upstream and midstream pipeline project in Lokichar, Turkana County.
- Acted for Oryx, the owner of the 56,000 acre Loisaba Conservancy, on obtaining conservation easements for various investors, including awarding an investor the right to build an eco-friendly house on the site.
- Assisted Black Gold Ventures and Black Gold Partners with leases to the European Union for its proposed new Kenyan headquarters in Nairobi.
Kaplan & Stratton Advocates' sizeable team has a strong track record handling real estate developments, investments and disputes. Rachel Mbai is the lead partner. Nigel Shaw is now with NBMA Advocates LLP.
‘Very professional, qualified and experienced team.‘
‘The team is knowledgable, has great people skills, doesn’t miss any details, and can get their clients a good deal.‘
‘Rachel Mbai is a top calibre attorney who has the intelligence, knowledge, and experience to work in any top law firm in any major city in the world. She has great people skills, is a problem solver, clever at finding solutions to sticking points, and is great with contracts.’
American Tower Corporation
E3 School Support
- Advised American Tower Corporation on its acquisition of 715 communication towers from Telkom Kenya.
- Assisted E3 School Support with its acquisition of several properties as part of its expansion plan.
CMS Daly Inamdar Advocates has an established presence in the real estate space, with its team operating from the firm's Nairobi and Mombasa offices. The group handles large-scale real estate developments and is experienced in shopping mall lease work. Nigel Jeremy and Harpreet Ubhi are the key partners.
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews has an excellent record in large-scale conveyancing and also handles big-ticket commercial and residential developments. Recent work includes handling green developments and community projects outside of Nairobi. Managing partner Adil Khawaja and Lorna Mainnah are highly regarded.
‘A transaction which seemed complicated and unclear, became simple and easy to follow. They finalised my conveyance in good time, addressing all the loose ends, even those I was unaware of.‘
‘Lorna Mainnah is exceptionally knowledgeable, efficient at her work and protects her client’s interests very well. She goes the extra mile to ensure that you are provided with all the information and guides you to make the best decision.‘
‘Lorna Mainnah stood out for me as being exceptional. She not only is accessible and available at all times but was also responsible for the ease with which the transaction was done.‘
‘Adil Khawaja’s knowledge of the Kenyan and global environment is a great strength of the firm and he has managed to create a great team of associates who are always helpful and availble. Adil’s negotiation skills are extraordinary and his kindness always benefits all.‘
ALP North Two
The British High Commission
- Advised ALP North Two on the negotiation and preparation of the sub-leases connected to Kenya’s first grade A logistic and distribution warehouse park.
- Acted for Tundra Holdings on its acquisition of four pieces of prime land in Nanyuki.
- Assisted Afrigo Development Company with its application for an extension of use for a parcel of land and obtaining related regulatory approvals.
Iseme, Kamau & Maema Advocates has a broad workload in the space, including real estate financings, housing developments and conference centre developments. The team is also at the forefront of real estate aspects of renewable energy projects. Anne Kinyanjui, Amrit Soar and Norah Mutuku are the key names.
East Africa Breweries
International Fund for Animal Welfare
Rock Ridge Homes
Meadow Brooke Farm
- Advised East African Portland Cement on the sale of 900 acres of land to Kenya Railways.
- Acted for Kipeto Energy on the acquisition of various immovable property rights including leases, easements and transfers of land for the development of a 100MW wind power project in Esilanke, Kajiado County.
- Assisted Benaa with the sale of Image Luxury Apartments located in the Kilimani estate, Nairobi.
Walker Kontos Advocates' team is active in conveyancing, developments and land regulations issues. Peter Mwangi has an impressive reputation in land law and regulations, while Alexandra Kontos provides additional senior level experience, as does the versatile and highly rated Michael Kontos.
Michael Kontos; Alexandra Kontos; Peter Mwangi; Deepen Shah
‘The team is very professional, has great legal knowledge and the genuine relationship they have with us, makes it very comfortable and pleasurable to deal with them.‘
‘Alexandra Kontos has always taken a personal interest in our property developments, which has always impressed us. She is always on hand to give us advice or to answer any queries. Her attention to detail in preparing legal documents is very impressive.‘
‘Peter Mwangi is among the top conveyancing lawyers in Kenya, if not the best.‘
International Finance Corporation
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
Consolidated Bank of Kenya
SBM Bank (Mauritius)
Standard Bank Group
Trade Development Bank
- Advised Prabhaki Developers on the development of an industrial park comprising 23 warehouses.
- Assisted Turaco Properties with the sale of the Mukoma Heights Apartments residential development.
- Acted for Bank of Africa Kenya on the purchase of its premises.
NBMA Advocates LLP was launched in 2019 by four former partners of Kaplan & Stratton Advocates and is part of ENSafrica's network. Nigel Shaw is a leading real estate specialist with an excellent record in development projects; he splits his focus between real estate and project development in the renewable energy and infrastructure fields.
MMC ASAFO handles an impressive mix of development and investment work in Nairobi and across the country. Clients include Richland Development, Urban Housing and Renewal Development and Superior Homes. Esther Njiru-Omulele and Jessica Mwenje Mayavi are the key partners.
Esther Njiru-Omulele; Jessica Mwenje Mayavi
Urban Housing and Renewal Development
KPMG East Africa
Oaklands Properties Kenya
Zamani Business Park
- Acted for Kenya Wine Agencies on its acquisition of two parcels of land in Ruiru, Kiambu County, from Tatu City.
- Acted for the consortium that won the tender to construct 1,300 modern and affordable housing units in the New Ngara Area.
- Advised Urban Housing Renewal Development on an urban regeneration project in Pangani Estate.
TripleOKlaw Advocates has a wide-ranging real estate practice, covering both residential and commercial properties. The firm has handled a number of development projects. Tom Onyango and Jinaro Kibet are the key partners.
‘The customer experience and handling is top notch and the team is well experienced in different sectors which makes it easy for a customer to consult on any field without moving from one firm to the other.‘
Echuka Country Estate
Cytun Insaat Sanayi
JNC Brothers Company
Manish and Dhiresh Raichura
- Acted for Echuka Country Estate on a country estate-gated community project.
- Acted for Cytun Insaat Sanayi Ve Ticaret on its first luxury apartment project in sub-Saharan Africa, comprising 110 luxury apartment units.
- Advised Kore Forests on the Rivers edge project, a gated town house retail estate development in the Red Hill area on the outskirts of Nairobi.