Litigation boutique Baker & Partners is active in a range of matters, although the firm has a particular strength in matters across areas including asset tracing. Stephen Baker is active in complex cases involving civil fraud, as is Simon Thomas, as well as more general commercial litigation and insolvency. William Redgrave continues to be instructed in major cases, such as the Crociani saga. James Sheedy, who is particularly notable in the trusts area, Charlie Sorensen, who is particularly busy in commercial and civil fraud matters, and the English-qualified Lynne Gregory are key senior associates.
Dispute resolution in Jersey
‘Baker & Partners have a fantastic disputes practice – their knowledge on trusts is excellent and their entire team from partners to paralegals and other support staff are a pleasure to work with. They are incredibly responsive and know the Royal Court and its workings very well.’
‘Good balance of regulatory insight (content) and tactical litigation sense (process).’
‘Smart, willing to push back against the client to stress test thinking and assumptions. Work collaboratively to build the case leveraging the client’s own insight and experience and marrying it with what the firm brings to the table.’
‘William Redgrave has an excellent presence with clients and is a strong but realistic advocate. Lynne Gregory is calm in a crisis, a great advocate and has a real insight into matters.’
MB & Services Ltd
Mr Oleg Sheyko
BNP Paribas Jersey Trust Corporation
CMC Holdings Limited
Punter Southall Group Limited
Mr David Standish
The Viscount of Jersey
Channel Islands Financial Ombudsman
- Representing MB & Services Limited in a breach of confidence and unlawful means conspiracy case against Rusal stemming from the latter’s redomicilation to Russia.
- Representing BNP Paribas Jersey Trust Corporation in the Crociani litigation, including a conspiracy claim against Edoarda and Camilla Crociani for conspiring to breach a freezing order including defending a forum challenge, a successful contempt of court application and representation in a Privy Council appeal by minor beneficiaries.
- Representing the former CEO of Consolidated Minerals Limited in a claim against his former employer.
Carey Olsen handles a full spectrum of disputes work, covering both trusts matters and commercial litigation. John Kelleher handles large-scale cases including professional negligence cases and shareholder disputes among others , as well as acting as a Jersey law expert in complex foreign cases. Marcus Pallot is particularly active in insolvencies, and William Grace is known for trusts and regulatory work. Sitting between the litigation and trusts teams, Andreas Kistler handles some contentious trusts work such as contested representations. Below partner level Louise Woolrich was promoted to counsel in January 2020.
‘A hands on, high quality, practical team who are efficient, commercial and easy to deal with.’
‘The team has depth and a real work commitment. It’s the work that they do that really makes the case.’
‘John Kelleher leads the team. He is a fantastic advocate and great with clients. He has an exceptional ability to distil very difficult concepts into straightforward advice. He really is the best in Jersey and you want him on your side.’
‘Andreas Kistler is clear, methodical and impressive.’
‘Marcus Pallot is very commercial, practical and pragmatic. Richard Holden is very technically astute.’
‘Michael Goulborn provides quality, timely and pragmatic advice.’
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
Grant Thornton T (As liquidators of Bellzone Mining PLC)
Hard Rock Limited
Zurich Insurance plc
- Defending Sanne against a damages claim by a former indirect shareholder.
- Acting for Grant Thornton as liquidators of Bellzone Mining plc.
- Advising on an unfair prejudice claim under Article 141 of the Companies (Jersey) Law 1991 on behalf of the designer of an innovative insurance product sold in the UK market via a Jersey holding company.
Ogier's team is 'on top of its game'. Nick Williams heads a practice that handles complex, international, trust disputes, as well as challenging company cases and other disputes. Damian Evans, who joined in January 2019 from Walkers, represents minor beneficiaries, and also handles a diverse number of other mandates, including environmental law. Global managing partner Edward Mackereth is also active in dispute resolution work covering both corporate and trusts matters, and Oliver Passmore is another key name active in matters concerning civil recovery and confiscation as well as locally atypical matters such as construction litigation. The team also includes Nic Journeaux, who joined the practice in September 2019 from Carey Olsen LLP and divides his time between London and St Helier, and James Angus, who was promoted to managing associate.
‘The lawyers of Ogier are a strong and cohesive team and provide an integrated and supported case management approach to issues upon which they are instructed. There is a depth of experience from lawyers who have a global approach and practice. The Partners, Counsel and Associates are quick to identify the salient issues and provide concise and focussed advice.’
‘Ogier’s dispute resolution team inspires confidence – a number of talented individuals give reassurance that the matter is in extremely safe hands.’
‘Nick Williams is an excellent advocate with an eye for the points that will interest the court and how to present them as persuasively as possible.’
‘Damian Evans is a practitioner of great standing in Jersey. He is one of the most respected advocates in the jurisdiction and has had a leading practice for many years. And for good reason: he knows Jersey trust law inside out and there is no one I would rather have fighting my corner in high stakes litigation in that jurisdiction.’
‘Nic Journeaux is an excellent advocate – nothing gets past him in court and he will stand up firmly to the other side and the Judge – just what you want from your advocate.’
‘Oliver Passmore has impressed with his ability to filter through complex facts to identify the critical issues and provide cogent advice. Good to work with as part of a cross jurisdictional team and a well prepared and persistent advocate.’
‘James Angus is detail-focused and also a persuasive advocate.’
FTV Capital Partners
The Viscount of the Royal Court of Jersey
Gazit Globe Limited
Millennium Technology Value Partners
SIG Growth Equity Fund
- Representing private equity investors and minority shareholders in ETFS Capital Limited in a complex, high-value and widely publicised dispute brought substantively against the majority shareholder, Graham Tuckwell.
- Advising the plaintiffs, including BDO LLP as High Court-appointed estate administrators, in a high-value, complex and cross-border trusts and estates dispute relating to the late Donald Hanson.
- Advising the Viscount of the Royal Court of Jersey in relation to the administration of the bankruptcies of a Jersey individual and a connected Jersey company who are alleged to owe hundreds of millions of pounds, with over twenty parties claiming the assets as part of the Orb litigation.
Collas Crill's 'exceptionally good' disputes practice covers a varied range of mandates in both the offshore space as well as issues arising on island. Practice head Damian James is active in both high-stakes trusts and commercial disputes. Simon Hurry, on top of further trust litigation work, is able to draw on his experience in the Cayman Islands in handling asset tracing and insolvency matters; he is involved in the Crociani saga for Grant Thornton while of counsel Sam Williams heads a team representing Appleby Trust Mauritius. Nuno Santos-Costa, the firm's senior partner in Jersey, handles varied litigation including prosecuting criminal cases as a Crown Advocate and representing high-net-worth individuals in construction disputes, and in a similar vein Dionne Gilbert handles a mixture of work including commercial matters, landlord and tenant cases and contentious probate. Dan Boxall is another key of counsel, and among the senior associates Daian Sumner joined in October 2019 from AMS Law in the BVI and clients also praise Lynne Calder.
Other key lawyers:
‘Nuno Santos-Costa is one of the most experienced advocates on the island and is an extremely robust performer in Court.’
‘Damian James consistently provides sage, no-nonsense advice and is unflappable under pressure. He is a highly experienced, persuasive and measured advocate and his manner with clients, colleagues and court alike is considerate and charming. He is a delight to work with.’
‘Dan Boxall is a pleasure to work with. He has an eagle-eye for detail and an encyclopaedic knowledge of each case in which he is involved. He has a keen head for strategy and develops excellent relationships with clients, not least because of his disarmingly self-effacing manner.’
‘Simon Hurry is fast emerging as a serious player in the market. He is extremely thorough and has an excellent court manner which commands the confidence of judges.’
‘Sam Williams, who was recently made up as counsel, is one to watch for the future. He was heavily involved in the long-running Crociani litigation and is extremely able.’
‘Lynne Calder is a Senior Associate; she is an extremely bright lawyer who swiftly gets to the core of a dispute and unfailingly manages to produce high quality work. Her client facing skills are first class.’
Vladimir Anatolevich Chernukhin and Navigator Equities Limited
Grant Thornton Limited, acting as Receivers appointed by the Royal Court of Jersey
Juntong BD LP (Cayman) and Vincent Huang
Dandara Jersey Limited
Appleby Trust (Mauritius) Limited
Salzgitter Mannesmann International (USA) Inc. (via Vinson & Elkins)
Salzgitter Mannesmann International GmbH
- Representing an individual and Navigator Equities in an urgent application to the Royal Court to preserve the security to ensure that the arbitration awards were effectively enforcible.
- Represented Appleby Trust (Mauritius) in a breach of trust case.
- Representing a corporate trustee in a complex trust dispute arising out of a breakdown in relationship of a UHNW family.
Mourant's 'dedicated and sharp' disputes practice, headed by Bruce Lincoln, covers a broad range of range of commercial litigation and trusts cases. Jonathan Speck handles some of the most complex trust cases, as well as novel professional negligence matters, while Justin Harvey-Hills' work includes trust cases, including a number of challenging appeals, as well as involvement in tax-related litigation such as the Larsen case, and is also active in a number of insolvency matters. Stephen Alexander is active in complex commercial disputes, and is also involved in the advocacy elements of court schemes of arrangement. February 2020 partner promotion Mathew Cook is active in regulatory work. Katie Hooper, who returned to the firm from Guildhall Chambers in Bristol, and Luke Olivier are names to note at counsel level.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team have a tireless desire to make sure that they present the best possible case. This ensures that not only do they ensure that they have a thorough understanding of the relevant legal issues, but also that they are constantly evaluating and addressing novel and difficult arguments which might be available. This involves engaging with different viewpoints and disciplines, a task which is consistently managed with effortless diplomacy and aplomb. The resulted is inevitably the development of a rounded, learned and compelling case.’
‘A team with great depth of experience and a very broad network, making them an obvious choice for guidance in the most complex disputes, particularly with international elements.’
‘Two stand out partners are Bruce Lincoln and Justin Harvey-Hills. Bruce is a great communicator with very astute legal judgement and Justin demonstrates total commitment to cases and engagement with clients about them.’
‘Jonathan Speck is, of course, a recognized international star who always delivers the highest quality strategic advice. He is well known as the man to see in Jersey on all legal matters, not just trust litigation.’
‘Mathew Cook has good regulatory knowledge and gives detailed thoughtful advice.’
Jersey Home Loans Limited
Accuro Trust (Jersey) Limited
Oak Trustees (Jersey) Limited
Pinnacle Trustees Limited
ETFS Capital Limited
- Acting for 36 plaintiffs, in what is thought to be Jersey’s first class action, against Jersey-based tax advisors for breach of contract and negligence, in claims that are currently worth in excess of £50m.
- Acting for the executor in the Z Trusts litigation, which has led to some of the most significant Jersey precedent in recent years.
- Acting for ETFS Capital Limited in relation to unfair prejudice claims brought by its minority shareholders in ultra-high value litigation.
Appleby's 'partner-led' disputes practice covers a wide range of work concerning the island's financial services economy. Practice head Michael Cushing is involved in significant trusts disputes, representing respected trust companies, with some other mandates including shareholder disputes. Fraser Robertson frequently represents beneficiaries in matters against trustees, and Jared Dann is also involved in key cases; the pair represented the Nigerian government in the Abacha asset recovery case (one of several mandates with African links). Michael O’Connell rejoined the practice group from the firm's group managing partner role in January 2020. Olwyn Barry focuses on BVI litigation.
‘The team is very much partner-led. Whilst complex cases inevitably require large teams it is reassuring to be dealing with the lead partner on a regular basis rather than, as is the case with some firms, being passed around a number of assistants. They have litigation specialists who are well-versed in Jersey trust law but are also excellent court advocates.’
‘Appleby has an energy that is welcome and a strong team of people who are approachable.’
‘Fraser Robertson wears knowledge and ability extremely lightly. He is is very bright, hard working and practical. You want him on your side in a dispute.’
‘Mike Cushing always delivers a top class service with a good dose of practical common sense and a smile.’
‘Jared Dann understands litigation across borders and is firm in his advice.’
Atrium European Real Estate Limited
Barclays Bank PLC
Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited
Zedra Trust Company (Jersey) Limited
- Advised the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in relation to the recovery of $300m assets held in Jersey.
- Acted for the trustee in the first proceedings of their kind in Jersey establishing a procedure for the winding-up of an insolvent trust.
- Advising on a substantial acquisition through a court-sponsored scheme of arrangement which raised novel issues in relation to the treatment of underlying nominee shareholders.
Covering the gamut of offshore litigation, Bedell Cristin's Jersey disputes practice head Robert Gardner's work includes heavyweight shareholder cases involving allegations of unfair prejudice alongside. David Cadin, who is also the bâtonnier of the Jersey Law Society, has a practice that includes complex trust litigation. Edward Drummond has expertise in challenging insolvency law, ranging from complex international matters to ones with peculiarities of Jersey customary law, and trust disputes. Among the senior associates, Sonia Shah and Sonia Minns are key names, with the former having been lead associate in Crociani.
‘Rob Gardner brings common sense and good judgement to bear.’
‘Ed Drummond is a clever, hard working lawyer who is an outstanding advocate.’
‘David Cadin is highly respected by his peers and brings a lot of experience to bear.’
‘Sonia Shah is a simply superb senior associate who is always on top of the cases she is working on.’
The F Trust
Amicus for Royal Court of Jersey
Jersey Home Loans
KPMG – Ablyazov receivers
- Acting for a high-net-worth Australian businessman who is defending Jersey proceedings brought by various private equity funds.
- Acting for the new trustee in bringing a claim against the former trustee for £50 million on the basis of gross negligence in terms of structuring the trust and managing it.
- Edward Drummond was appointed as an amicus by the Royal Court of Jersey to resolve a 20-year trust dispute involving assets of the former Yugoslavia.
An independent firm with a track record of representing key names in the island's financial services economy, Dickinson Gleeson is active in a range of Chancery litigation representing various different stakeholders. James Dickinson's work includes complex cases with issues of legal professional privilege among others, as well as commercial disputes and asset recovery matters. James Gleeson represents leading trust companies in high-profile trusts cases including the Z Trusts and Crociani cases (in the latter, he represents the new trustees, Ocorian). Senior associate Guillaume Staal is a key name below partner level, and in 2019 well-regarded senior associate Pierre Ali-Noor joined from Mourant.
‘Dickinson Gleeson has lawyers sophisticated and experienced enough to tackle the most complex and challenging of big commercial and trust cases.’
‘James Dickinson is extraordinarily hard working, and very bright. He wants to understand everything and attains a really strong grasp of the factual issues and legal nuances of a case. Not afraid to get stuck in and robust on his feet. Extremely thorough in his preparations and devastatingly effective in court.’
‘James Gleeson is cerebrally intelligent, and wears it lightly. Very, very good lawyer to have on your side in a complex commercial or chancery dispute.’
‘Pierre Ali-Noor is hard working, charming and diligent. He really gets into the meat of a case.’
‘Guillaume Staal is a future star. A very understated but very intelligent legal mind.’
Geneva Trust Company (GTC) SA
EFG Bank AG, Singapore branch
Ocorian Trustees (Jersey) Limited
Trident Trust Company
- Acting for Geneva Trust Company in relation both to the well-known insolvent “Z Trusts”, and to various disputes (originating from the high-profile Investec v Glenalla litigation) concerning trusts connected to the Tchenguiz family.
- Instructed to act for EFG Bank as an expert witness on Jersey law, in litigation before the Singapore High Court.
- Acting for the new trustee, Ocorian, in the long-running Crociani litigation.
WALKERS' growing disputes practice covers the full spectrum, with particular bright spots in insolvency, trusts and commercial matters. Nigel Sanders, in addition to accepting mandates as a Jersey law expert in cases abroad, handles disputes including complex trust litigation, cross-border asset tracing and tax information exchange matters. Group partner Fraser Hern's mandates include international insolvency and security enforcement matters, while Marc Seddon's work has included cases at the interface of employment and commercial litigation as well as trusts cases. James Turnbull and Niall MacDonald are two key senior associates in the team.
Consolidated Minerals Limited
United Energy Group Plc
- Represented Consolidated Minerals Limited in its defence of a claim for constructive dismissal, breach of contract by a former senior director. This is the highest value employment case to be litigated before the Royal Court Jersey.
- Acted for the purchaser in respect of a Jersey scheme of arrangement relating to the purchase of shares in Kuwait Energy Group plc, the transaction value is £500m.
- Providing expert Jersey law advice for use in South African proceedings in relation to obtaining video evidence from Jersey.
BCR Law handles a range of litigation work, primarily connected to matters on-island. David Benest has a diverse practice, in addition to being especially notable for his role in some of the island's largest personal injury cases, and related medical law issues, he also advises the Jersey Financial Services Commission. Jeremy Heywood's recent cases have involved construction and property work, including planning litigation, and Adam Harrison's workload includes a range of criminal matters including health and safety and major criminal fraud trials. Below partner level, George Pearce was called as a Jersey advocate in 2019 and clients praise English-qualified Alexandra Baker.
‘Strong on local knowledge of legal system.’
‘They are probably the best personal injury lawyers on the island.’
‘Alexandra Baker and David Benest are approachable and measured in their approach and delivered a good outcome for us.’
‘Jeremy Heywood is an astute and brilliant negotiator able to achieve remarkable results.’
Jersey Financial Services Commission
The Channel Islands Co-operative Society
Clifton Trust Limited
Freedom Church Jersey Limited
Minister for Health & Social Services
Insurance Corporation of the Channel Islands
- Acted for the corporate entity of a local Christian charity in respect of various issues arising out of the renovation of a Grade I Listed former cinema in the centre of St. Helier.
- Acted in the defence of the Minister, in particular the midwifery teams and the Jersey General Hospital, in a complex, multi-million pound, clinical negligence claim arising out of the birth of an infant at the Hospital.
- Acted for the financial services regulator of Jersey in defence of an appeal brought by a regulated entity against a decision to revoke that entity’s registration.
Ingram Advocates' name partner Lee Ingram is particularly notable for his insurance practice, in which he represents all manner of insured civil defendants, covering personal injury and beyond. Danny Le Maistre, who joined in June 2019 from Collas Crill, handles a large range of work concerning his traditional practice of trusts cases, as well as being involved in matters including professional negligence cases.
‘Ingram Advocates provide a quality service without the usual breath-taking fees. This allows us to justify obtaining expert advice externally with the knowledge that we can rely on their cutting edge advice.’
‘Danny Le Maistre is a quality litigator. He provides no nonsense advice and cuts to the nub of the issue. He can grasp complex matters quickly and ensures we remain focussed on the end goal. He is practical and level headed with an ability to provide sensible and expert advice.’
John W. Dick
J Design Limited
- Defending J Design, a local architectural and design practice against a professional negligence claim brought by a developer relating to a landslip.
- Advising and representing John W. Dick, the settlor of Jersey trusts in relation to litigation in Jersey and connected proceedings in the US and Russia. The Jersey proceedings include applications by his daughter, Tanya Dick-Stock, for removal of the trustee and for a declaration of ownership over a property in Russia.
Simon Franckel and David Wilson are the two partners at Oben Law, which handles a range of cases in the trust space, primarily acting for professional trustees, and the firm continues this theme through representing businesses in the regulated financial services sector in contentious regulatory matters and professional negligence cases. At associate level, Greg Herold-Howes is noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good quality team with strength in depth allied with a best in class regulatory team a unique and compelling offering.’
‘We have worked with the team who are experienced and level headed and responsive when its needed.’
‘David Wilson is a very experienced adviser and advocate: user friendly, well known to the Court and a strong tactician.’
‘Simon Franckel carries out sensitive investigations discretely and efficiently.’
- Advising the trustee in proceedings to determine the ownership of the trust fund, involving competing constructive trust claims.
- Advising business in relation to the first ever civil penalty imposed in Jersey.
- Continuing to advise and assist Directors of Longton Holdings Ltd, following an order for that Company’s just and equitable winding up.
At litigation boutique Seymour Law LLP, both Jean-Marie Renouf and Mark Renouf are active in trusts matters (primarily acting for trustees), asset tracing and freezing matters and regulatory issues - as well as having a significant employment practice primarily active for executives and senior employees. Many matters involve complex cross-border issues, and Mark Renouf also has competition law expertise. The firm is now separate from, but is still allied with, Noirmont Consulting.
‘Technically competent while able to communicate clearly and succinctly without resorting to legal jargon, user friendly and always cheerful.’
‘Jean-Marie Renouf provides first class practical specialist advice on trust related matters. He is extremely user- friendly and in a complicated area of law provides the advice in such a way is easily understood by the client.’
‘Mark Renouf is particularly responsive, pragmatic and reassuring.’
V Trustees Limited
Baccata Trustees Limited
Infrasoft Technologies Limited
ACIES Law, Singapore
- Represented a trustee in securing a court sanction to sell an art collection owned by a trust.
- Representing a private individual in a multi-jurisdictional divorce case, securing asset freezes over Jersey bank accounts.
- Representing Baccata Trustees in an inter-family dispute over the appointment of trustees.
A litigation boutique formed in January 2019 by the merger of two eponymous practices, Steenson Nicholls LLP' two name partners David Steenson and Paul Nicholls are active in numerous cases, with a focus on trust litigation including some of the biggest cases - both partners are involved in the Crociani saga for Camilla Crociani - as well as professional negligence cases and other work. Locally-qualified Nicholas Mière is a key senior associate in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘A Boutique, bespoke firm, with a huge amount of experience in dispute resolution. Highly regarded in Jersey and beyond, and instructed by clients internationally. With a hard work ethic, and a genuine desire to go the extra mile for their clients, they stand out amongst their peers in that field.’
‘Paul Nicholls is fearless, knowledgeable and very practically minded, delivering real solutions for the client. He offers a great service and is very responsive.’
Princess Camilla de Bourbon des Deux Siciles
Sir Charles Njonjo
Guardian Global Capital (Suisse) SA
Angel Fish Group
Future Finance Group
DAS Legal Expenses
Tulliallan St George Limited
PII Verulam Gardens Limited
Dr Kurt Sieger
Jersey Oak Limited
- Representing Aquilon AG in contentious trust proceedings concerning two Jersey trusts with a combined value in excess of £100 million. These proceedings (which were determined over the course of a two-week trial) involved issues of Jersey, Swiss, Italian and San Marino law and concerned issues as to the validity of the purported removal of a trustee, the appointment of new trustees, the change of proper law of a trust and rectification and ratification/confirmation.
- Representing the former Attorney General of Kenya in connection with proceedings for breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment and knowing receipt in the CMC Holdings v Forster case.
- Representing Princess Camilla de Bourbon des Deux Siciles in connection with numerous matters consequential upon the decisions in the Crociani litigation.
At Viberts Jersey Lawyers, Christina Hall is active across a broad range of matters spanning debt recovery, construction disputes, personal injury cases (primarily for claimants) professional negligence and insolvency as well as a number of cross-border trust mandates. Rebecca Morley-Kirk's caseload includes criminal law and mental health matters, and in the former she has been appointed to act as a crown advocate. Giles Emmanuel is a key associate in the practice.
‘The parties from the practice we have engaged with have become trusted by our company and this is borne though by their thorough engagement, the clear understanding of the objectives, and the freedom of discussion. In highly charged areas of construction disputes they have managed tensions, removed obstacles, respected views and manged a clear pathway to deliver a result.’
‘The experience I had of the team at Viberts was very good. Everyone I dealt with was helpful and sympathetic to my situation. I was offered good advice throughout and I felt confident in the advice given. The experience I had was of an experienced team that worked together and for me.’
‘They provide excellent advice with speed and are always available for consultation. In addition they are all welcoming and understanding. My representative throughout most of my dealings with Viberts has been Giles Emmanuel. I have found Giles to be very approachable, knowledgeable and in particular Giles is always quick to respond or acknowledge any and all of my queries and emails. I would recommend Giles to any person needing a representative in the British Isles.’
‘Christina Hall has been a stand out individual for our company. Her communication throughout has always been at the correct level for the parties involved, and her genuine personality enables this to be realised. She has proven to be knowledgeable, has been dedicated to the process, rolled up her sleeves and delivered on the promises she has made. Remaining confident and positive throughout is also a key attribute but when coupled with a learning mentality it has proven to deliver continued improvement in the process.’
Unite the Union
Royal College of Nursing
British Cycling Association
- Represented a defendant in complex £5m construction dispute.
- Represented multiple blocks of residential companies against two property management agencies for professional negligence.
- Represented a client in relation to claims by Government social security and tax departments for outstanding payments following potential fraudulent director’s actions.