Commercial property in Jersey
Appleby advises developers, investors, financial institutions and local businesses on high-profile commercial and mixed-use development projects, commercial leases, property investment mandates and general regulatory advice. The team, which is led by noted industry expert Tim Hart, has been further strengthened with the promotion to counsel of Jonathan Anderson, who brings a proven track record in handling high-value property transactions for local and multinational investors and sellers.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Anderson; John Bisson
‘Appleby provides a very professional and competitively priced property service‘
‘Appleby is responsive and keeps to agreed timescales and its advice is commercial and pragmatic‘
‘An extremely able, experienced and commercial team, very client focused and with an unmatched understanding of the property sector in general‘
‘Tim Hart is always available and his carefully planned approach to each instruction results in important issues being identified early on and last minute issues being avoided‘
‘John Bisson always displays an excellent grasp of the issues with a versatile, proactive and commercial approach‘
17 Queen Street Limited
Azure Hotel Investments S.A.
Barclays Bank PLC
Daisy Hill Real Estates Limited
Decade Property Holdings Limited
HSBC Bank PLC
Newport (Jersey) Limited
The Yacht Hotel Limited
- Advised real estate investor Dandara Group in the largest single asset commercial office sale in the Channel Islands.
- Advised The Yacht Hotel Limited on a £29m financing transaction.
- Advised Azure Hotel Investments S.A. on all aspects of a £14.3m transaction with an established hotel operator.
- Advised Palladium Group on an £8m development loan.
- Advised Dandara Group on the £54.5m financing of a landmark commercial property.
Carey Olsen has an enviable track record in domestic real estate transactions, having acted on some of the island’s most significant recent mandates, with practice head Christopher Philpott a noted figure in the market. The team regularly negotiates commercial lease and sub-leases and head office relocations for a client list of investment companies, property developers, local companies and international financial institutions. Senior associate Will Whitehead is praised for his expertise with property transactions, as well as advising on construction and development projects. The practice also advises on property litigation such as planning appeals, dilapidation disputes and evictions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The property team has strength in depth and fully understands the area of commercial property‘
‘The team is responsive, technical and commercial‘
‘The whole team reacts very quickly to instructions, offers advice to specific problems and helps get to solutions in a quick and professional manner‘
‘Christopher Philpott is very efficient‘
‘Will Whitehead is a key player within the team and acts in a very professional manner‘
The Jersey Development Company
Ports of Jersey
Legal & General Assurance Company Limited
Prudential Assurance Company Limited
Royal Bank of Scotland International
Nedbank Private Wealth
Jersey Rugby Football Club
Santander Plc, Jersey Branch
Deutsche Bank International Limited
National Trust for Jersey
HSBC Bank PLC
S G Kleinwort Hambros Bank (Channel Islands) Limited
Barclays Bank plc
Richemont Luxury Group Limited
STM Fiduciaire Jersey
- Advised Seaton Place Limited on the purchase of Gaspé House for £90m; the largest commercial property acquisition in the Channel Islands.
- Advising Aviva on the sale of the Waterfront Leisure Centre for £16.2m.
- Advising The Boat House Group on the sale of part of its licensed hospitality portfolio.
- Advising Hotbed (Jersey) Intermediate on the sale of a retail banking hall and office building for £4.8m.
- Sole advisor to Jersey Development Company Limited on the development of Jersey’s international finance centre (a development of approximately 470,000 sq ft office space).
Collas Crill handles the full range of commercial property mandates, including high-value lease deals, complex mixed-use development projects, property acquisitions and other significant transactions. The diverse client list includes domestic retailers and developers, as well as international banks and other financial institutions. Practice head Martin Le Boutillier cites further expertise in the field of real estate finance while Pamela Doherty routinely receives client praise for her work across the full spectrum of issues.
Martin Le Boutillier
Other key lawyers:
Pamela Doherty; Paul Harben
‘A very strong commercial property team that understands the market’
‘Excellent service. Response times are always appropriate to the situation and industry knowledge and commercial awareness are extremely good’
‘Increasingly strong presence in the market – great team with wide knowledge and experience. Pan-island representation serving our clients well. Involved in many of the high profile transactions.’
‘Pamela Doherty works relentlessly on behalf of the client to get the job done, particularly under some very tight timescales’
‘Paul Harben has excellent knowledge and experience of Jersey commercial property transactions’
‘Martin Le Boutillier is personable, flexible and knowledgeable both in the fields of residential and commercial property’
‘Pamela Doherty is an experienced member of the team, complementing the service offering and providing a depth of experience.’
‘Pamela Docherty brings knowledge, energy, commercialism and experience.’
‘Martin Le Boutillier is dependable, corporate and dedicated.’
Investec Bank (Channel Islands) Limited
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited
Sanne Fiduciary Services
Jersey Trust Company
- Acting for Dandara, the largest developer in Jersey, on a number of sale and pre-sale agreements in its property portfolio.
- Advising Sanne Fiduciary Services on its relocation to the International Finance Centre.
- Advised Rothschild on a £7.5m loan secured over HSBC House, Jersey.
- Advising Alter Domus on its relocation to larger premises.
Large-scale commercial property acquisitions are a strong point for Ogier, with the team being retained by a number of key financial institutions to oversee their portfolios. The team also regularly handles high-value commercial and office leasing negotiations, alongside assisting the corporate department with the property aspects of local M&A transactions. The firm handles a number of mandates from the hospitality, retail, hotel and banking sectors. Julie Melia often acts for both buyers and sellers in commercial property transactions while practice head Jonathan Hughes is noted for his expertise in planning and construction of significant residential developments. Katharine Marshall is also highly praised for her expertise in transactional work and for drafting and negotiating complex joint venture arrangements.
Jonathan Hughes; Helen Ruelle
‘An approachable, friendly and experienced team‘
‘Practical, friendly and very approachable‘
‘Thorough, reasonably priced and works hard on client relationships‘
‘Every member of the team is self-motivated, excited by new challenges and visibly passionate about their reputation‘
‘Jonathan Hughes is always approachable and constantly provides excellent service to his clients‘
‘Jonathan Hughes and Katharine Marshall have strong attention to detail and are excellent at managing complicated cases in a timely and professional manner‘
‘Katharine Marshall is always approachable‘
HSBC Bank Plc
International Endergy Group (Jersey and Guernsey Gas)
Sandpiper CI Limited
Jersey Homes Trust
Cranham Investments Limited
Government – States of Jersey
Parish of St Helier
Brookfield Real Estate – Brookfield Asset Management
Parish of St Martin
John Lewis Partnership
Fuel Supplies CI Limited
Next Group Plc
Gamma Aviation Limited
Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (JSPCA)
Mountain Warehouse Limited
Albert Bartlett Group
First Names Group
- Advised Klesch Property Limited on the acquisition of the first building to be sold at the Jersey International Finance Centre for £43.7m.
- Handled numerous security transactions for Lloyds including a £58.5m refinancing of Gaspé House and a £21.5m loan in relation to 27 Esplanade, St Helier.
- Handled significant real estate security transactions for HSBC including the £6m refinancing of the Randalls pub chain portfolio and a secured loan for £6.9m for a commercial real estate share acquisition in St Helier.
- Represented Whitbread Group in its first lease of a Premier Inn in the Channel Islands.
- Instructed by Sandpiper Group in the purchase of a 58,000 sq ft shopping centre from global asset management firm Oaktree.
The commercial property practice at BCR Law is particularly strong in drafting commercial leasing structures, with a client list comprising retailers, mixed-use developers and local businesses. Wendy Lambert also lends her expertise on corporate transactions, conducting due diligence on property titles and advising property purchasers on their contractual obligations under existing lease structures. Further common mandates include advising on construction projects, real estate finance and dilapidations issues.
‘Wendy Lambert is the go-to person for everything related to Jersey property. The team has strong negotiators yet is very pragmatic in its approach‘
‘BCR Law’s advice is professional and proactive‘
‘BCR has excellent knowledge of the local property market and is very approachable‘
‘All members of the BCR Law team have are helpful and professional‘
‘Wendy Lambert’s knowledge and experience with Jersey property law and transactions is second to none. Her wisdom is highly sought after‘
‘Emma Baker and Signe Sparne provide a quick, proactive and responsive professional service‘
- Instructed by the client to negotiate and draft a new management agreement and three 99-year leases for three separate heritage sites.
- Assisted MU Holdings with the £1.9m acquisition and subsequent leasing of two commercial property units.
- Handled the £2.5m acquisition of a retail, office and storage site for Sampurna Properties.
The team at Bedell Cristin advises a strong list of international banks on financing large-scale commercial property acquisitions and developments in Jersey. Corporate lawyer Tim Pearce is a go-to name in the market for domestic property transactions while senior associate Jeff O’Boyle often advises on regulatory issues including planning, licensing, construction and environmental law.
Other key lawyers:
Tim Pearce; Hannah Robinson
‘The team is highly responsive and experienced‘
‘Bedell Cristin is very knowledgeable, responsive, clear and concise‘
‘Jeff O’Boyle and Hannah Robinson are very personable and respond very promptly and are extremely knowledgeable‘
JT (Jersey) Limited
The Little Sisters of the Poor
- Represented the Little Sisters of the Poor on the disposal of a care home with a value of approximately £10m.
- Advised RBS International on the funding of the acquisition of a portfolio of prime commercial properties in Jersey by a fund.
Mourant's commercial property practice encompasses the fields of leasing arrangements, secured lending advice, office relocation exercises and complex commercial acquisitions and disposals. Owing to her expertise in all aspects of the commercial property market including significant redevelopment mandates, counsel Georgina Cook was recently promoted to the head of the practice. The team’s client list consists of well-known international banks, as well as Jersey businesses, developers and investors.
Oppenheimer Generations Custodian Jersey Limited
Ardian Jersey Limited
Bank of India
The Channel Islands Co-Operative Society Limited
Royal Bank of Canada
The Thackeray Estate
EFG Wealth Solutions
- Advised the Royal Bank of Canada on the preparation and negotiation of a bespoke lease arrangement to the States of Jersey.
- Advising Oppenheimer on its 15 year lease of office space at the International Finance ?Centre to support its launch of business in Jersey.
- Advising The Thackeray Estate on a £4.8m freehold purchase of the Barclays Bank building.
- Advising Rossborough Insurance in its move to a flagship office and customer sales space at Liberation House.
- Advising Ardian Jersey Limited on a pre-let agreement and lease of premises at 27/28 Esplanade, St Helier.
Natalie Harris heads the commercial property practice at Voisin Law, advising on high-value commercial leases, development projects and financing arrangements. The team also handles commercial acquisitions and disposals for a client list comprising investors, landlords and developers. Recent transactions involved hotels establishments, retail property and mixed-use office and residential sites.
Parslows’ commercial property practice is well-placed to handle the leasing and office relocation needs for Jersey-based SMEs. The firm routinely receives praise from its client base, which includes a range of retailers, family offices offices, technology businesses and hospitality companies. The team, which is led by Carl Parslow, recently enjoyed a particular suite of instructions regarding the restructuring of multiple occupancy commercial leaseholds and leasing due diligence exercises for start-up businesses.
‘The team has a responsive, competent and commercial approach to the law‘
‘The practice is quick to respond, gets it the first time and is efficient and cost effective‘
‘Carl Parslow is high-profile and always ready to support smaller local businesses as well as larger‘
‘Mason Birbeck provides great support‘
Jersey Post Limited
The Cycle Shop
Splendida Hair & Beauty Limited
Prosperity Group Limited
Express Electrix Limited
GlenQ Private Wealth Limited
Neon Saloon & School
Right Car Jersey Limited
Easy Peasy Limited
Au Caprice Guest House Limited
Strickland Investments Limited
- Assisted Jersey Post Limited in relation to the leasing of several offices to several lessees.
- Assisted GlenQ Private Wealth Limited in relation to additional leasing required for the expansion of its offices in Jersey.
- Assisted the purchasers of The Cycle Shop Limited with lease review, due diligence, lease negotiation and acquisition advice.
- Assisted Prosperity Group Limited with the relocation of its headquarters.
- Assisting Express Electrix Limited with its relocation to a new retail unit.