Appleby's practice head Tim Hart is active on Jersey property finance work, with a number of mandates coming from non-bank lenders and alternative banks, as well as handling leasing for commercial landlords and tenants. Counsel Jonathan Anderson is another key name, as is consultant John Bisson, who advises clients such as Dandara.
Commercial property in Jersey
‘Although Appleby is a large firm, their strength comes from the fact that each person who we dealt with from partners, counsel, administrators, treat their customers in the most professional manner but with the personal touch. Always proactive and knowing we are in extremely capable hands. There is obviously excellent communication within the company.’
‘Long established quality commercial property lawyers. Acted on both large corporate transactions and smaller local instructions, for many years.’
‘Jonathan Anderson is like a dog with a bone in that he didn’t give up until he was satisfied that everything was in order for his client. He definitely went above and beyond to ensure the sale completed on time.’
‘Tim Hart is the senior partner who again was always available if needed and is a wealth of knowledge. The team work in this practice is obvious and a breath of fresh air.’
‘John Bisson is simply the best commercial property lawyer in Jersey and has been for many years. Head and shoulders above the rest.’
Weighbridge Investments Limited
Barclays Bank PLC
Daisy Hill Real Estates Limited
Boots Properties Limited
HSBC Bank PLC, Guernsey Branch
Santander UK Plc
The Yacht Hotel Limited
SMP Partners Limited
OakNorth Bank Plc
- Advised Weighbridge Investments on the £7m financing of a mixed-use commercial property.
- Advised Daisy Hill Real Estates on the purchase of a fully let commercial building in St Helier for £5.5 million.
- Advised Palladium Group on a GBP 15 million residential redevelopment of an existing office building in St Helier, Jersey called ‘the Soane Development’.
Wendy Lambert, Stephen Crane and Michelle Leverington are key contacts at BCR Law, which handles a mixture of deals concerning the acquisition of industrial commercial units and hotels, as well as liquor licensing, leasing and planning. The firm also handles some bank-side real estate finance. English-qualified Emma Baker is a key name below partner level.
‘We like the fact that they are a relatively small team so we always deal with the same people who know our business and the way we work very well. They are all very thorough.’
‘Locally based Jersey practice, with strong leadership from Wendy Lambert, with a sizeable team who are able to respond quickly to new instructions and take matters forward promptly.’
‘One of the largest commercial property teams in Jersey.’
‘Wendy Lambert has exceptional inter-personal and professional skills.’
CCA Galleries (International) Limited
CMP Holdings Limited owned by Page Architects
SandpiperCI Group Limited
- Advising SandpiperCI and acting in relation to the contract lease and license for works arising out of the client’s desire to open an M&S Simply Food outlet in a new mixed-use commercial and community development on the site of the former St Martin’s primary school.
Christopher Philpott is the key name in a Carey Olsen practice that handles sales of prime real estate in Jersey, with a number of mandates for prestigious public and private sector clients. Other work concerns commercial leases, transactions involving development sites and real estate finance. Alex Ohlsson's broad practice includes managing the firm's relationship with Jersey Development Company (the government's property development arm). Part of the disputes practice, John Kelleher's work includes property and planning litigation. Will Whitehead is a key counsel.
‘The Jersey property team provide an all-round service and run transactions excellently from start to finish. They are unique to other firms as their property team displays transaction management skills that you usually only find in large corporate teams.’
‘Will Whitehead is an exceptional lawyer. He is not only very knowledgeable about the property aspects and property financing but takes responsibility for the transaction management aspects which makes you feel like you are in safe hands even on a large complex corporate property transaction. He is capable and approachable – a pleasure to deal with.’
‘Chris Philpott is an experienced practitioner, he considers all relevant options before creating a pragmatic and commercial outcome.’
Aviva Life and Pensions UK Limited
Jersey Rugby Football Club
National Trust for Jersey
Nedbank Private Wealth
Polygon Properties Limited
Ports of Jersey Limited
Royal Bank of Scotland / Natwest
SMP Helm Trust
The States of Jersey Development Company
- Advising Ports of Jersey Limited on the management and restructure of its extensive and diverse property portfolio.
- Advised The States of Jersey Development Company Limited on the sale of IFC 5 for £47.6m, the highest value commercial property transaction in Jersey in 2019.
- Divided by an ethics wall, advised both the buyer and seller of 13/14 Esplanade, St Helier.
Collas Crill handles major deals on the island across the real estate space. Pamela Doherty is a key name for heavyweight real estate deals, including IFC 5 and the island's new Premier Inn (which required construction expertise), while Martin Le Boutillier is active on work for a range of property developers, including both key private names as well as housing associations. Group partner Paul Harben is another key name. Conveyancer Gavin Renault joined as head of conveyancing from Mourant in April 2019.
‘A broad team across property, commercial and financing.’
‘Hard working and amenable individuals. The firm as a whole is accessible, there is always someone who can deal with your enquiry or needs on all subjects. They always go above and beyond for my needs.’
‘Pamela Doherty – Property partner is particularly impressive. Knowledgable, unflappable and a shrewd, yet pragmatic negotiator.’
‘Martin Le Boutillier is technically excellent.’
Investec Bank (Channel Islands) Limited
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited
SG Kleinwort Hambros
Seaton Place Limited
Channel Islands Property Fund
The Liberation Group
Falles Holdings Limited
- Advised Le Masurier on a £80m mixed-use development, comprising a bespoke circa 120 bed hotel to Premier Inn, circa 150 residential apartments, food and beverage and commercial units and car parking.
- Advised on the £47.6m acquisition of IFC5, the second building constructed at the International Finance Centre by Jersey Development Company.
- Advised Dandara on the sale of circa 250 apartments and townhouses at Metropole and Les Galets developments in 2019 on a pre-sold phased basis and the £4.1m acquisition of a new development site at West Centre, St Helier and the onward residential structuring.
Jonathan Hughes, who heads up Ogier's local legal services practice, handles a range of work for several banks concerning on-island mortgages, and has also recently been advising the government on Jersey's new hospital. Katharine Marshall is an October 2019 counsel promotion, and senior associate Will Austin-Vautier's work includes liquor and housing licence matters, as well as some construction disputes. Clients also praise senior associate Sarah Parish.
‘Leading team in Jersey: commercial, responsive, helpful, problem solving.’
‘Strength and depth in the property team. We have worked with the Ogier legal team for many years, continuity of staff is very important plus the practice’s ability to cover complicated matters within the team .’
‘The key word here is team and Jonathan Hughes has created a team that works together for the good of the client.’
‘Jonathan Hughes (partner) and Sarah Parish (senior associate) are the stand-out individuals. Highly commercial and responsive with close knowledge of the market.’
‘Katharine Marshall: extremely responsive, friendly and positive in getting my transaction completed. She added value in helping get the deal right and finding solutions to the obstacles encountered. She was always available day or night and responded rapidly when messages were left.’
RBSI / Natwest / Coutts
Jersey Homes Trust
LV Group Care Home Group
Parish of St Helier
Whitbread Plc / Premier Inn
Parish of St Martin (Major mixed use development of former old school site)
Gamma Aviation Limited
Government of Jersey – States of Jersey Hospital Project, Airport, Treasury and Property holdings
John Lewis Partnership / Waitrose Limited
Fuel Supplies CI Limited
SG Hambros Bank
Metlife Investment Company Limited
- Advised Commercial Property Investment Fund on the acquisition of multiple ‘Grade A’ commercial office buildings for investment purposes.
- Acted for numerous institutional real estate finance clients in relation to complex multi-million pound real estate finance transactions.
- Acted for numerous corporate occupier clients in relation to new build office headquarter relocation projects.
Jeff O’Boyle, who made partner in 2019, is the key contact at Bedell Cristin's practice, which handles new developments, large-scale work around infrastructure and a range of retail landlord and tenant matters for both retailers and property owners. The firm is now the exclusive adviser to ITV in the Channel Islands. Other deals concern office space and agricultural land. Hannah Robinson is the key name to note at associate level.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very pragmatic, practical and pro-active, together with an exceptional knowledge of the local law.’
‘They are very approachable, extremely knowledgeable and quick to respond. They work very well together and step in when one is away or not available. Their response times are excellent and the new software they use has decreased response times making this more beneficial to our clients.’
‘Hannah and Jeff are extremely personable and approachable and very responsive. They have superb knowledge and give concise advice when others may be less to the point. Their knowledge and response times are really what stands them above others.’
St Saviours Realty
JT (Jersey) Limited
The Little Sisters of the Poor
- Advised St Saviours Realty Limited on an agreement for a lease to Santander Limited of flagship retail bank and cafe premises at Charing Cross, St Helier.
- Advised Andium Homes on the establishment of a flying freehold structure and sale of 13 units in a residential new-build development with a value of £5.5m, all sales completing one to two weeks ahead of schedule and on budget.
- Advised RBSI on a secured development facility of c.£37m to LMF Jersey Investments Limited to fund a major regeneration project in St Helier, including a new hotel and 140 residential units.
In October 2020, Julie Melia joined Mourant to head up the property practice in Jersey; the team also includes counsels Georgina Cook and Gio Pollano. Utilities are an area of strength, with the team advising Jersey Electricity and Jersey Water, but the firm is active in more general areas such sale and purchase of development sites, real estate finance and retail leases.
‘They are responsive and diligent as well as pleasant to deal with. They offer advice and are knowledgeable.’
‘They are one of the market leaders in Jersey. Very competent at dealing with commercial property transactions.’
‘Georgina Cook clearly explains complex situations and offers up commercial solutions to impasse situations.’
The Channel Islands Co-Operative Society Limited
Equitix Investment Management Limited
G.R. Langlois (1991) Limited
The National Trust for Jersey
Busy Bee Holdings Limited
S.G. Kleinwort Hambros (CI) Limited
Ferryspeed (CI) Limited
Jersey Home Loans Limited
Investec Bank (CI) Limited
Jersey Electricity PLC
- Assisted Equitix Condor Limited in their purchase of Liberté House, 19-23 La Motte Street, St Helier for circa £6 million.
- Advised Busy Bees Holdings on the purchase of Organic Kids Limited which runs two children’s nurseries at La Providence and Castle Quay.
- Advised The Channel Islands Co-Operative Society on the sale of warehouses at Beaumont, St Peter, Jersey to developer Dandara for the construction of a residential development for the sum of £2.3m.
Voisin Law's property practice is headed by advocate Natalie Harris, who handles a range of work, including purchases of significant properties as well as a number of matters for commercial landlords. Lodging houses are a particular area of niche expertise at the practice.
Walter Property (Jersey) Limited
Vixen Holdings Limited
W G Property Holdings Limited
Various purchasers (via Dandara’s panel)
Brian Smith and Rachel Smith
Ingleby Private Hotel Limited
Santander UK plc
- Advising Walter Property Limited on the £5m+ sale of CTV House, La Pouquelaye, St Helier, Jersey, by disposal of the share capital in the company having the freehold interest. The site is a multi-let office with redevelopment potential.
- Advising Vixen Holdings Limited on the lease of retail premises to Superdrug and the related licence for works.
- Advising Vixen Holdings Limited on the lease of retail premises to Superdrug and the related licence for works.