Firms in the Spotlight Tax
Valente Associati GEB Partners
Valente Associati GEB Partners is a leading Firm providing legal, tax, transfer pricing and strategic management consultancy services. It advises public companies, large and medium-sized enterprises as well as multinational conglomerates including also SMEs supporting them in every step of their growth, assisting them also before tax authorities at the Courts, at all levels.View Profile...
Tax in Italy
BonelliErede's tax team, co-ordinated by Andrea Silvestri, comprises approximately 40 professionals. Silvestri, who also leads the tax litigation focus team, is a key name for litigation and transactional issues. The practice covers corporate tax, international taxation and transfer pricing, and frequently contributes to the development of Italy’s tax policy. Andrea Manzitti specialises in national and international tax law, and tax litigation and tax audits; Stefano Simontacchi is the director of the Leiden Transfer Pricing Research Centre, a globally known transfer pricing research centre; and Riccardo Ubaldini is a national and international tax law expert. Marco Adda has particular expertise in corporate and international taxation and transfer pricing.
‘The firm has a longstanding history in tax advisory work. All the professionals have strong backgrounds and in-depth knowledge of the Italian tax framework.‘
‘The team is very supportive and always reliable when support is needed.‘
‘It has good technical skills and deep knowledge of the details underlying projects.‘
‘Whenever clients don’t properly understand or they worry about their matters, the team immediately gives guidance on the way to go. Clients are really very appreciative of BonelliErede’s efforts, and their satisfaction and respect for the firm are much more than can be described.‘
‘Andrea Manzitti is a great reference partner, who, having worked in the Italian fiscal administration for a long time, has gained extensive experience in domestic and international tax matters. With a strong team behind him , he is an excellent business partner.‘
‘Riccardo Ubaldini is an excellent professional for transfer pricing and international taxation. He patiently understands cases, assesses the problem and gives advice on how to proceed.‘
‘Stefano Simontacchi is very well appreciated.‘
- Assisted the Luxottica Group with the tax aspects surrounding its merger with the Essilor Group, a France-based global ophthalmic optics company.
- Advised Ardian on the tax aspects of its acquisition of a minority stake in Gavio Group.
- Advised French company, Covivio, and its Italian subsidiary, Beni Stabili SIIQ, on the tax issues surrounding a merger between the two entities.
Chiomenti is widely respected for international tax matters, planning and corporate reorganisations. The firm also has substantial transfer pricing and tax litigation departments. Raul-Angelo Papotti is a transfer pricing and international tax planning expert; Massimo Antonini is well-known for cross-border M&A tax issues; Marco Di Siena is a transactions and litigation expert; and Paolo Giacometti is a specialist in cross-border transactions and the taxation of financial products. Also key to the group are Giuseppe Andrea Giannantonio, a key name for real estate tax structuring; of counsel Giovanni Carpenzano, a former Intesa Sanpaolo group tax head; and counsel Antonino Guida, who acts for national and international clients.
‘Chiomenti is immensely knowledgeable and professional, and provides clients with early indications of the ultimate cost which prove to be 100% accurate.‘
‘The tax department has strong expertise and a cutting-edge knowledge of the most advanced tax issues, both in tax structuring and real estate taxation, which makes it the ideal partner of a listed real estate investment trust.‘
‘It obtains the achievement of clients’ wishes through integrated skills, cohesion and teamwork. The team also has excellent communication skills.‘
‘It has competence, availability and timeliness.‘
‘Massimo Antonini is always available and applies his in-depth knowledge to help clients get to a satisfactory result.‘
‘Raul-Angelo Papotti stands out from other professionals because he is always up to speed with legislative updates. He has both high technical tax skills as well as the ability to understand a company’s needs, risks and opportunities.‘
‘Giusseppe Andrea Giannantonio is an outstanding professional who has great technical knowledge coupled with a positive business-oriented approach. He has an exceptional ability to understand the actual needs of his client.‘
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
CBRE Global Investors
Cerberus Capital Management
JP Morgan Chase
- Advised Mediaset on the tax aspects surrounding the tripartite cross-border merger of Mediaset and Mediaset Espana Communication into Mediaset Investment.
- Acted for the Wieland Werke group on audit-related permanent establishment and transfer pricing issues.
- Advised French multinational company, Naval Group, on the tax aspects surrounding the creation of a joint venture with Fincantieri.
LUDOVICI PICCONE & PARTNERS advises domestic and international clients on structuring the best solutions to their needs, including asset protection strategies and investments. The practice has close relationships with key senior officials in the Italian Ministry of Finance and Italian Tax administration. Paolo Ludovici's expertise includes domestic and international corporate reorganisations, M&A and structured finance transactions, and tax planning for high net-worth (HNW) individuals and trusts. Pietro Piccone Ferrarotti is a tax litigation specialist.
Paolo Ludovici; Pietro Piccone Ferrarotti
‘The team is able to handle complex, multi-jurisdictional tax structures and understand all the various implications, beyond the scope of mere tax advice.‘
‘The high quality of work is ensured by very skilled team members.‘
‘It is cohesive, collaborative, communicative and always available, as well as being very prepared and prone to problem solving.‘
‘The firm is an outstanding business partner, with strong commitment to clients’ needs. It has wide-range tax expertise, from advisory to litigation, and can provide reliable support on both day-by-day and non-recurring transactions.‘
‘Pietro Piccone Ferrarotti is a recognised expert in litigation and post-audit settlements.‘
‘Paolo Ludovici and Pietro Piccone Ferrarotti support companies in highly complex transactions. Their work is characterised by strong legal and financial backgrounds and is grounded in both domestic and foreign laws. Their approach to tax matters is also characterised by an uncommon flexibility and the quality of service is outstanding.‘
De Agostini Group
The Walt Disney Company
- Advised Sintetica on the tax issues surrounding its sale to Ardian.
- Acted for Ambienta on the tax aspects of its acquisition of Phoenix International, which designs, manufactures and sells aluminium extrusion dies.
- Advised Iliad on Italian tax matters, related to the sale of its passive mobile telecom infrastructure in Italy.
Maisto e Associati is consistently involved in important tax mandates in Italy. Representative work includes M&A and corporate restructurings, corporate tax, financial instruments, litigation, transfer pricing, international tax, VAT and state aids. Other areas are the tax issues surrounding private clients and real estate. Founding partner Guglielmo Maisto has long been recognised as one of Italy's leading tax lawyers and Marco Cerrato is a tax litigation expert. Marco Valdonio's clients include private equity funds, real estate players and multinationals; Aurelio Massimiano is a point of reference for luxury sector matters; and of counsel Gabriella Cappelleri previously worked at the Italian Revenue Agency.
‘It has excellent preparation and availability.‘
‘Its knowledge of the market and experience of different situations are great.‘
‘Marco Cerrato is an excellent partner, who is always available and ready to answer in a proper manner.‘
- Advised Valentino on an advance agreement signed with the Italian Revenue Agency in respect of its global transfer pricing policy.
- Acted for the Kering Group on settling a permanent establishment claim against its Swiss subsidiary, Luxury Goods International.
- Assisted the Mediolanum group with the tax investigations carried out by the Italian Tax Police into Irish company, Mediolanum International Funds, and Luxembourg company, Gamax Management.
Tremonti Romagnoli Piccardi E Associati's tax specialisations include corporate and group taxation, M&A, group reorganisations, private equity, structured finance and debt restructuring, non-performing loans and real estate investments. Additional key areas include VAT, transfer pricing, and tax litigation and pre-litigation proceedings. The practice stands out for its focus on the tax consequences of cryptocurrencies. Lorenzo Piccardi plays crucial roles in high-profile deals; Cristiano Caumont Caimi specialises in tax litigation; Giancarlo Zoppini regularly defends cases before the Italian Supreme Court; and Marcello Valenti specialises in the tax law surrounding high-profile transactions. Also recommended are Antonio Vitali, who is 'competent, proactive, straightforward and professional', and Dario Romagnoli, who 'supports clients very well'.
‘The team has high technical skills and is great at problem solving.‘
‘It is praised for its availability and in-depth knowledge of the technical issues applied to clients’ realities.‘
‘The law firm is able to process large volumes of information quickly and formulate an effective strategy for each case that is assigned to the workload. Clients are left very satisfied with the services provided and they are strongly recommended.‘
‘The partners are very personable and easily able to gain the trust of the clients with whom they work.‘
‘The team is strongly committed, highly responsive and prepared in relation to Italy’s tax framework, and it is constantly involved in heavily complex tax projects.‘
‘Antonio Vitali is competent, proactive, straightforward and professional.’
‘Dario Romagnoli supports clients very well.‘
Amec Foster Wheeler Italiana
GE Italia Holding
Autostrade per l’Italia
Banca Popolare di Vicenza
- Advised Petrolvalves, a global manufacturer of special valves for the oil and gas industry, on the signing of an advance agreement with the Italian Revenue Agency. This involved the methods and criteria to be applied in determining the income eligible for tax relief under the Patent Box regime.
- Acted as tax adviser to French global investment company, Merieux Equity Partners, on the acquisition (together with ICG) of Doc Generici, an Italian generic pharmaceutical company, from CVC Capital Partners.
- Successfully defended the General Electric group in tax litigation proceedings, which concerned the re-characterisation, for registration tax purposes, of a contribution of a going concern into a Newco and the subsequent transfer of quotas as a direct sale.
Tax is a particular strength of Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie. The team advises major foreign and Italian multinationals on day-to-day tax matters, corporate reorganisations, and domestic and cross-border transactions. The practice also regularly assists clients in the software and digital industry with permanent establishment and transfer pricing issues, as well as international tax rulings. Massimo Giaconia, Carlo Gnetti, Michele Santocchini and counsel Alberto Pregaglia are corporate and international tax specialists. Mario d’Avossa is a transfer pricing expert.
‘The firm’s strength lies in its ability to be close to clients’ needs, both in terms of availability and co-ordination of internal and external company contacts. Furthermore, the international network facilitates the multinational management of the topics under analysis.‘
‘This is a fully integrated team, meaning that clients always have an expert in all tax fields, and the practice works as a team for clients’ needs. It is proactive, fast, technically skilled, but with the right balance given to the practical approach that is needed by client.‘
‘They are sure to find effective solutions, maintaining a calm atmosphere even in complex situations.‘
‘They understand clients’ needs, not only taking into account tax perspectives, and are flexible in organising activities according to clients’ requirements.‘
‘Massimo Giaconia is a leader who is able to put together the best resource for the client’s needs and ensure full commitment and fast responses.‘
‘Mario D’Avossa is the best transfer pricing expert around. He immediately understands the business logic of each industry and the practical needs, and still maintains a rigorous technical approach in delivering the most suitable and practical solution. He is way ahead of his competitors.‘
‘Michele Santocchini is appreciated for his competence, willingness, mental flexibility and ability to work in an international team.‘
Procter & Gamble
- Advised Ariston Thermo, which produces heating systems and related products, on general tax matters in Italy.
- Assisted Allianz with transfer pricing issues surrounding a reinsurance agreement and corporate reorganisation.
- Advised Leonardo on the VAT ramifications surrounding the sale of military helicopters.
Di Tanno e Associati has longstanding experience of the tax aspects of M&A and private equity matters. The practice is also recommended for tax litigation, and assists clients with settlement procedures and tax ruling requests. Tommaso Di Tanno's practice includes financial statement and accounting standards, taxation of banks and insurance and holding companies, litigation, international taxation and M&A; and Fabio Brunelli handles transactional and litigation matters. Ottavia Alfano has 'excellent business and commercial sense' and Paolo Serva has expertise in tax matters related to banking, insurance, corporate and M&A. Associate Carlo Curti's practice includes litigation, funds, real estate and VAT.
Tommaso Di Tanno; Fabio Brunelli
‘It has excellent responsiveness and understanding of clients’ objectives.‘
‘Ottavia Alfano has excellent business and commercial sense.‘
‘Ottavia Alfano is able to explain to the client very complicated tax issues in very understandable terms.‘
Lone Star Funds
Family Office Loro Piana
Enel Green Power
Enel-X Financial Services
Dolomiti Energia Holding
Barings – MassMutual
EF Solare Italia
Tep Energy Services
Ente Nazionale di Previdenza e Assistenza dei Veterinari
- Acted for Enel in tax litigation.
- Advised Loro Piana Family Office on the tax side of investments in foreign funds.
- Advised Lone Star Funds on the tax issues surrounding a business reorganisation.
DLA Piper is highly respected for its assistance with tax audits and litigation, cross-border reorganisations, tax restructuring, M&A, wealth planning and and transfer pricing work. The team also advises on the implementation of the Italian Patent Box regime (which applies a reduced taxation for income deriving from the exploitation of IP rights), and stands out for its expertise with start-ups, greenfield strategies and early-growth companies. Antonio Tomassini and Christian Montinari act on tax-related transactions and litigation; and Andrea Di Dio is experienced in tax planning and structuring, international taxation and transfer pricing, and family asset reorganisations. Federico Pacelli is a transfer pricing expert.
Antonio Tomassini; Christian Montinari
‘The strengths of the team are its specialisations, competence and strong integration of the network. It is also very appreciated for its ability to deal pragmatically with the issues being analysed and find the right compromise between theoretical aspects and practice.‘
‘The team work of different specialised groups assures clients of a better output. It has strong commitment as well as passion, which make DLA Piper the best practice to work with.‘
‘Its passion, commitment and strong technical skills and client service are first rate. Standout partners are Christian Montinari and Federico Pacelli.‘
‘Federico Pacelli’s clarity and technical preparation is greatly appreciated.‘
‘Antonio Tomassini is the best tax professional in the country; he always thinks out of the box and he is innovative.‘
‘Andrea Di Dio’s team is a true asset to clients’ business. The key strengths are an ability to respond quickly to even the most complicated tax matter. There is never a question clients do not get a satisfactory answer to.‘
‘Andrea Di Dio is phenomenal in his understanding of tax matters and ability to provide a very concise and penetrating answer to even the most complicated issue. He is extremely commercial in his approach and practical. He is a go-to adviser.‘
Italcementi – Heidelberg
- Successfully acted for a football player in the tax proceedings surrounding an alleged fraudulent tax return.
- Advised Telecom Italia on the definition of the transfer pricing policy to be applied to inter-company transactions.
- Advised 2 Ride Holding, a portfolio company of Eurazeo and Natixis, on the tax issues surrounding the acquisition of Helmet Invest.
Facchini Rossi Michelutti Studio Legale Tributario
Facchini Rossi Michelutti Studio Legale Tributario grew its boutique practice in 2019 with the hiring of corporate tax, international transactions and tax disputes specialist Riccardo Michelutti (now a name partner) from Maisto e Associati. The practice's core work involves taxation of companies, financial institutions and private equity funds, as well as international taxation and tax litigation. It is also noted for its strong relationships with the financial authorities, management of incentive plans and taxation of private individuals and M&A. Luca Rossi and Francesco Facchini are noted for high-profile, complex tax matters.
Francesco Facchini; Luca Rossi; Riccardo Michelutti
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners routinely advises on the tax side of M&A and extraordinary transactions, as well as financial taxation, VAT, transfer pricing, litigation, real estate, private clients and wealth management, Patent Boxes, and revenue-related criminal law. The department recently spearheaded an initiative, promoted by the Cabinet of the Ministry of Finance, which aims to identify areas of Italy’s tax laws needing reform. Luciano Acciari is experienced in advising Italian and overseas companies, and Fabio Chiarenza advises on the tax aspects of corporate reorganisations, financial transactions and litigation. Stefano Grilli and counsel Luciano Bonito Oliva assist with transactional and contentious matters.
‘Experiences with the GOP team are highly positive. The advisers are competent and supportive in resolving matters in a proactive way, and they really go the extra mile to meet demanding needs while helping clients through complex situations. They are also very good team workers and have positive dynamics within their firm, and they are able easily to communicate technical aspects in English, which is key for foreign multinational groups.‘
‘It has very strong expertise and gets straight to the point. The team is quick and has a strong alignment with the clients’ business and needs. The role of this legal and tax firm in the professional services market is very high.‘
‘The team is professional, flexible and creates value. It has exceptional technical skills and a strategic approach to tax topics, as well as a very robust knowledge of tax law and strong relationships with the Revenue office.‘
‘The team is composed of individuals with outstanding knowledge of tax matters. Each of them has precise skills and expertise but at the same time is capable of rendering advice in relation to any tax issue whatsoever. They are always very precise and reliable, and clients have the feeling that they always get the point of the query.‘
‘Each professional working in the tax field has a deep knowledge of tax law. When clients raise a query to each of them, they investigate in the same in- depth way each time with prompt and precise solutions.‘
‘Fabio Chiarenza is an outstanding and reliable professional. Clients have the feeling, when dealing with him, that he has strong expertise and experience, so that clients can be confident about the answers given.‘
‘Fabio Chiarenza and counsel Luciano Bonito Oliva are especially valued for the fact that they are practical in their advice and in their submissions. They are also good communicators and able to connect at various levels internally and also with local officials, and they have a proactive approach to managing cases, thinking forward and truly partnering with clients while helping in whatever needs they have. Their teamwork means any adviser can step in and support and make him/herself available when others are out. Clients appreciate the great regard to quality, details and deadlines, and the fact that they receive the best outcome they could hope for.‘
Gruppo Assicurazioni Generali
I-Pulse Oil & Gas
Ferrovie dello Stato
Rossoneri Sport Investment Lux
La Rinascente Group
PIAGGIO & C
Sisters of Charity of St Jeanne Antide CIO
Università Telematica Pegaso
The Blackstone Group
- Advised Generali Real Estate SGR on the set-up of the Generali Group’s first real estate-backed credit fund platform.
- Assisted Enel with the submission of a tax ruling, which related to the deductibility of costs incurred in connection with certain activities as well as transfer pricing issues.
- Advised Amplifon on the tax aspects surrounding its acquisition of a hearing aids competitor in the Spanish and Latin American markets.
Legance - Avvocati Associati acts on tax matters involving the real estate, project finance, fashion and luxury, and financial institutions and investment funds sectors. The firm also fields experts in transfer pricing issues and has a robust litigation practice. Claudia Gregori advises on project finance, real estate and shipping matters, and Marco Graziani acts on the tax side to M&A, private equity, financing, restructuring and real estate deals. Luca Dal Cerro, who is noted for the tax structuring of investments, joined from Linklaters. Recently appointed senior counsel, Francesco Di Bari assists with banking, structured finance and capital market transactions; and counsel Gabriella Geatti frequently acts before the tax courts.
Claudia Gregori; Marco Graziani; Luca Dal Cerro
‘It is always able to find solutions in an articulate manner, including Italian taxation that needs interpretation.‘
‘The team is available, open to dialogue and able to provide clear operational advice.‘
‘Legance is different from other law firms. The approach it has is very good and really suits clients.‘
‘The Legance tax team amazes with its level of competence. It quickly understands clients’ needs and is able to answer them in the best way possible.‘
‘Claudia Gregori is on top of it all and know hows to act. She ensures that everything is being taken care of – she is top of the bill when it comes to Italian tax law.‘
‘Marco Graziani is really valued for his technical knowledge, and his ability to analyse and find out exactly how best to answer his client’s needs. Marco pays lots of attention to details and clients like that. They are quite amazed by his competence and ability to find a solution to complex issues. His advice gives clients lots of comfort in this moving environment.‘
‘Luca Dal Cerro is great and technically excellent.‘
AXA Insurance Group
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Chequers Capital Partenaires
CBRE Global Investors
Savills Investment Management
Intermediate Capital Group
Rhea Vendors Group
Vestas Asset Management
- Advised Wise Equity on the tax issues surrounding the fund structuring and establishment of Wisequity V.
- Acted for De Goetzen, an Italian subsidiary of the Acteon Group, on the tax aspects of the acquisition of Dental X-Ray Company.
- Advised Villa Canali, as 20% shareholder of Nuova Castelli, on the income and indirect tax issues surrounding the sale of Nuova Castelli, the main Italian exporter of Parmesan cheese, to Lactalis Group.
Biscozzi Nobili fields experienced chartered auditors, accountants and lawyers. The firm is a tax and legal partner of Elite (organised by the London Stock Exchange Group), which supports companies in their growth and financings. In 2018, the practice also joined global tax network WTS Global. Marco Abramo Lanza is an international and real estate taxation and tax litigation expert; and Oliviero Cimaz specialises in the tax aspects of corporate reorganisations, banking and financial transactions and collective investment schemes. Luigi Garavaglia and Francesco Nobili's practices include domestic and international restructuring, and family business-related issues.
Marco Abramo Lanza; Oliviero Cimaz; Luigi Garavaglia
‘Prompt availability, accuracy, and in-depth knowledge of the sectors that companies belong to.‘
‘It is appreciated for its wide range of subjects covered. The team has undisputed competence and continuously updates clients.‘
‘It has strong experience in corporate tax and family business structures.‘
‘The advisers’ interactions are of high quality; they also have a lot of good sense.‘
Dolce & Gabbana
Fondo Strategico Italiano
Officine Meccaniche Bandera
Schmolz + Bickenbach Italia
Sony Music Entertainment Italy
- Advised the shareholders and management of ICTeam on the tax issues surrounding the sale of ICTeam to Lutech.
- Acted for Telecom Italia on the definition of its access to the Cooperative Compliance regime, which was launched by the Italian tax authority.
- Successfully acted for Italian fashion house, Dolce & Gabbana, in a high-profile tax dispute, which involved alleged tax avoidance on a trade mark sale.
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario is particularly expert in advising on Italian and international tax laws, income taxes, VAT, start-ups and re-organisations. The team also acts for clients before the Revenue Authority and the Ministry of the Treasury and Finance. In addition, it has a strong real estate focus. Angelo Bonissoni is an expert in transactions-related taxation, and Michele Citarella is a financial services taxation specialist. Giuseppe Alessandro Galeano's practice includes the tax issues surrounding private equity funds' acquisitions and restructurings of Italian companies. The firm's Rome office was strengthened by the hire of domestic and international corporate taxation expert Stefano Petrecca from Macchi di Cellere Gangemi.
‘It is appreciated for its ability to cover almost all areas of interest with high levels of competence.‘
‘The team distinguishes itself through professionals with high specialisation levels and for its speed of response.‘
World Wide Show Corporation
Taghleef Industries KFT
Arrow Global Italia
DeA Capital SGR
Fondo Strategico Italiano
- Assisted Emysis Capital with drafting a tax ruling before the Italian tax authority, which related to the taxation of carried interest.
- Advised Credito Fondiario on the acquisition of tax credits.
- Advised Fondo Strategico Italiano on the tax due diligence surrounding the acquisition of a minority participation in a digital health sector group of companies.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP provides specialised advice on a range of complex Italian and cross-border tax issues, including M&A, hybrid financing and investment structures, debt and pre-IPO tax restructurings, financial instruments, employee benefit plans and executive compensation. Other strengths include tax litigation and assisting individuals and families with personal and estate tax and planning matters. Vania Petrella focuses on Italian and international tax issues. At senior attorney level, Paola Albano and Gianluca Russo are domestic and international tax experts.
‘One of the best law firms around, with a great international presence. It is able to manage complex and cross-border issues with punctuality, precision and competence. The firm also takes care of every branch of the law and meticulously follows the client, fully satisfying its various needs.‘
‘The support and quality of advice make this law firm a focal point in Europe for tax litigation. It is fast, reliable and gives up-to-date feedback together with great availability.‘
‘The Italian tax team at Cleary is very small and it only focuses on a bunch of specific matters. Hence, the individuals are highly skilled and have in-depth knowledge of their subjects. Clients appreciate the pragmatic approach and – when compared to other firms – its true one-stop approach to global matters.‘
‘Total 360-degree expertise and internationality make CGSH one of the best law firms in the world. In Italy, the team reflects the world standard.‘
‘Vania Petrella is fantastic for international taxation. She is particularly prepared at a professional level and always available to clarify even the most complex aspects of the law. And like her closest collaborators, she is an affable and friendly person.‘
‘Vania Petrella and senior attorney Gianluca Russo are strong reference points for tax consultancy, and able to work seamlessly for both corporate and private clients.‘
‘Senior attorney Gianluca Russo is a highly skilled and talented tax lawyer.‘
‘Vania Petrella and senior attorney Paola Albano are always available, providing highly professional work on time and advice that keeps in mind clients’ realities.‘
‘A real super star of the team is senior attorney Paola Albano. She quarterbacks the most critical matters while providing practical advice. The experience, quality of work, pragmatic approach and breath of knowledge that she brings to the table are really unique.‘
- Advised Goodyear on the tax issues surrounding the renewal, amendment and restatement of its pan-European securitisation.
- Acted for ArcelorMittal on the tax aspects surrounding its divestiture of ArcelorMittal Piombino’s steel plant to Liberty House Group.
- Advised GiVi Holding (the Versace family holding company of Gianni Versace), Donatella Versace and Versace’s CEO on the tax aspects surrounding the approximately $2.13bn sale of Versace to Michael Kors Holdings.
Clifford Chance's Italy tax practice is headed by Carlo Galli, who is regularly consulted by Italian law and policy makers and national authorities on the drafting of new tax legislation. The team's work includes M&A and restructuring, financial markets, real estate and corporate and group taxation, EU and international tax law, VAT, transfer pricing and litigation. Recently nominated counsel Sara Mancinelli specialises in real estate and capital markets taxation and tax litigation issues, particularly regarding criminal angles. Senior associate Andrea Sgrilli advises on the tax aspects of transactions.
‘Clifford Chance is unique because it is a very well coordinated team, very fast in replying to any tax issue and absolutely reliable. Sometimes clients even engage them on operations that take place for the first time in Italy.‘
‘Carlo Galli immediately understands what the tax issue is for which clients need assistance. He is always ready to explain what the best solution is. His collaborators, counsel Sara Mancinelli and senior associate Andrea Sgrilli, are very skilled and available.‘
EDF – Edison
- Advised ERG on the tax aspects surrounding the placement of a fixed-rate bond for €500m, which was issued as part of its €1bn medium-term note programme.
- Acted for the dealer managers, including Banca IMI Securities Corp, Citigroup Global Markets, Credit Suisse Securities (Europe), J P Morgan Securities and Merrill Lynch International, on the tax aspects surrounding a partial repurchase transaction, which was by way of a tender offer for a series of issued bonds.
- Advised funds (managed by Korean company, Meritz Financial Group) on the tax aspects surrounding the acquisition of 50% of units in the Coima Core Fund VIII Fund.
CMS' expertise covers corporate tax law and direct taxation, VAT, international taxation, transfer pricing, tax risk management, private clients and disputes. The practice also has niche experience of tax energy and the taxation of the digitalised economy. Giuseppe Ascoli's sector expertise includes real estate, banking, publishing, automotive and insurance; and Stefano Chirichigno's tax practice includes corporate matters, transfer pricing, mutual funds, venture capital and private equity, VAT and M&A. Mario Martinelli, who advises medium and large companies on Italian corporate tax law, was a new arrival from McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato.
‘It pays clear attention to clients which translates into truly tailor-made solutions – this is a proactive team that is attentive to detail.‘
‘The main merit of the firm is the technical preparation of the people who are part of it. In particular, clients appreciate the ability to adapt to their administrative procedures, always responding to requests for clarification regarding problems encountered.‘
‘The CMS professionals’ qualities are their technical preparation, the speed with which they respond to requests made, and the ability to adapt to the needs of companies.‘
‘The partners always prove to be attentive to clients and their matters, as well as providing a correct balance between tasks and fees. The teams that are structured for the management of assignments are always adequate in terms of professionalism, competence and availability.‘
‘It is great for professionalism and skills, and for being results oriented.‘
‘Stefano Chirichigno is attentive, punctual, transparent and very pleasant.‘
- Advised Green Utility on the tax aspects surrounding the sale of participations in two photovoltaic special purpose vehicles.
- Acted for Encavis, which produces electricity from renewable energy sources, on the tax issues surrounding the acquisition of a stake in a renewable sector company.
- Advised Senec on the tax aspects of purchasing an approximately 30.4% stake in Tempus.
Dentons recently advised on the tax aspects of cross-border investment structures, M&A and wealth management. Other areas of strength include transfer pricing, litigation and co-operative compliance with the Tax Revenues Agency. Andrea Fiorelli specialises in the tax aspects of corporate finance deals, and Giulio Andreani's reputation as a tax practitioner is coupled with a strong academic track record. Fabrizio Capponi recently advised on tax procedures involving beneficial owners of hidden assets, and Roberta Moscaroli assisted a Russian high-net-worth individual with moving his tax residence to Italy.
‘Fiscal problems are always brilliantly overcome, both in terms of preventative counselling and in defences following tax inspections, thanks to an appropriate combination of theoretical knowledge and technical and situation management skills.‘
‘The team is highly prepared and extremely efficient; the response times are also quick and the advice always valuable.‘
‘It is rated for its willingness to understand the needs of clients and to see the opportunities in problems‘.
‘It has the ability to cover a wide range of issues, industries, experiences and skills.‘
‘Fabrizio Capponi has the ability to anticipate problems and turn them into opportunities.‘
‘In addition to competence, Fabrizio Capponi shows the ability to listen to clients’ needs and has great commitment.‘
‘Giulio Andreani knows both the rules and fiscal practice perfectly, as well as the sectors in which clients’ companies operate, and this allows the team to obtain excellent results.‘
‘Giulio Andreani is certainly a professional who distinguishes himself from all others. He has deep knowledge of tax matters and a great ability to simplify difficult cases and present them effectively before the tax authorities. He is recognised as one of the best tax consultants in Italy.‘
Alitalia Linee Aeree
Jacopo Biondi Santi
Cantieri Navali Baglietto
GWM Corporate Group
Owner of Porto Carrara group
Fratelli Martini Secondo Luigi
Tally Weijl Itaslia
- Acted for Jacopo Biondi Santi in VAT claims, which were raised by the Italian tax police for the alleged issue of invoices for non-existent operations.
- Assisted Gedi Gruppo Editoriale with the tax aspects of of the sale of its minority stake in Persidera.
- Acted for Porto Imperia in tax litigation against the Revenue Agency for the wrongful tax deduction of port construction costs and non-payment of taxes.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Hogan Lovells International LLP's tax advice covers M&A, real estate, capital markets transactions, insurance and reinsurance, and restructuring. The team also advises on VAT and sales taxes on businesses, as well as tax ruling requests, audits and appeals, bankruptcy tax proceedings and tax settlement procedures. Fulvia Astolfi is noted for her tax assistance with international asset deals, mergers, reorganisations and restructuring, and financial and asset finance transactions. Counsel Serena Pietrosanti has real estate, life sciences and financial services sector expertise, and senior associate Maria Cristina Conte focuses on the tax issues surrounding insurance and financial transactions.
‘Hogan Lovells’ practice provides in-depth information on complex tax issues, including foreign law.‘
‘The team has strong and diversified technical skills, with very competent professionals in the field and the ability quickly to identify problems and propose the best solution.‘
‘The team’s strengths are its availability to clients, clarity and transparency in exposing opportunities and risks, and support in managing relations with counterparties.‘
‘It has exceptional competence and understanding of problems.‘
‘Fulvia Astolfi shows authoritativeness and a remarkable ability to communicate in clear and simple terms on very complex questions.‘
‘Fulvia Astolfi is a person of profound experience and competence. She also has rare empathy and humanity that, combined with experience and expertise, makes clients feel completely understood and certain of the exceptional quality of the service.‘
‘The professional and friendly counsel Serena Pietrosanti helps clients through thorny issues.‘
One Rock Capital Partners
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
- Advised PerkinElmer on the tax issues arising from the acquisition of Italy-based Dani Instruments Group, which is active in the gas chromatography and mass spectrometry business.
- Assisted Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane with the tax regime applicable to the issuance of a green bond for a nominal amount of €700m.
- Advised One Rock Capital Partners on the tax issues surrounding the funding of its acquisition of Castfutura and the related acquisition structure.
McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato's full-spectrum tax offering covers international tax issues, transfer pricing, withholding tax and Patent Box matters. The practice also assists with litigation, international transactions, private equity tax implications and investment fund structuring. The multidisciplinary team regularly works alongside the firm's litigation, banking and finance, and corporate and M&A groups. Carlo Maria Paolella recently handled significant Patent Box matters and transactions; and Andrea Tempestini has sector expertise in fashion, food and drink, technology and oil and gas. Emidio Cacciapuoti advises on fund-related tax issues.
Carlo Maria Paolella
‘Andrea Tempestini is an outstanding professional.‘
Ducati Motor Holding
Infravia Capital Partners
Johnson & Johnson
- Advised Principia SGR on the tax due diligence and structuring surrounding the acquisition of an 80% stake in Lambda.
- Assisted Furla with a customs audit in China.
- Acted for Ducati Motor Holding on reaching an agreement with the Italian Revenue Agency to access Patent Box tax relief for its intangible property.
Nctm Studio Legale is best known for its advice to international and domestic clients on cross-border issues. The team is very active in complex issues including M&A and private equity-related tax structuring and tax litigation. Federico Trutalli has telecoms and real estate sector expertise, and Piermauro Carabellese specialises in international tax, M&A tax structuring and tax litigation. Guido Martinelli advises on ordinary tax issues and exceptional transactions.
‘The team has strong technical skills, particularly in international tax, great commitment and responsiveness to client needs, as well as the ability to understand clients’ business and focus on strategic decisions. Being a multidisciplinary law firm, the tax advice is always supported by a deep comprehension of the legal background.‘
‘NCTM has a tax team that is technically prepared and always in step with regulatory updates. The output provided by NCTM is at a really high level and it is also accurate. What makes NCTM different from its competitors is its skills in different tax areas, such as VAT, corporate tax and accounting.‘
‘The qualities clients value in the individuals are their efficiency in delivering the tax matter and their availability.‘
‘Federico Trutalli is a very skilled professional with a strong team, and he has impressive knowledge and is always available to discuss strategic issues, taking innovative approaches and creative solutions.‘
‘Federico Trutalli’s team is both technically rigorous and always available. Clients trust his unique experience and ability to deal with complex and innovative tax issues.‘
‘Federico Trutalli has an out-of-the box approach that makes his support unique. He has impressive knowledge and legal rationale, and is able to sustain very difficult negotiations without losing his perfect balance of strict technical knowledge and a practical approach. He is a great strategist and business partner to in-house teams.‘
China State Shipbuilding Corporation
AXA Real Estate
Lindt & Sprüngli Group
Doughty Hanson Private Equity
Saes Getters Group
- Acted for Acciona in complex tax litigation against the Italian Tax Revenue Agency and some Italian Municipalities for significant amounts.
- Assisted Doughty Hanson Private Equity with the Italian and international tax aspects surrounding the transfer of an interest in the Zobele Group to newly established fund, Doughty Hanson IV.
- Advised Vodafone Group on the tax structuring of a joint venture with Telecom Italia.
Pedersoli Studio Legale recently experienced an increase in instructions to handle complex tax litigation cases. The team has also been advising on the tax aspects of restructuring and debt restructuring matters, M&A and financial taxation. In addition, it has developed a strong generational wealth transfer practice. Giovanni Bandera, Daniela Caporicci and Andrea de’ Mozzi are experienced in the tax issues surrounding transactions. Caporicci and de' Mozzi also act in tax litigation.
‘A knowledgeable team that is competent in the latest rules and informs clients of the latest changes. It is easily accessible and quickly responds.‘
‘It provides an executive presence with considerations always backed up by references to tax rules.‘
‘The firm has international experience and the ability to solve problems.‘
‘Its people are very prepared and up to date on all issues.‘
‘The team is very competent and scrupulous.‘
‘It is always available and able to support advice with factual elements.’
‘It is rated for its knowhow of clients’ business.‘
Green Arrow Capital SGR
Stefano Ricci Group
Ardian Private Equity
AXA IM SIM
- Acted for Green Arrow Capital SGR in tax litigation matters involving the Italian tax on real estate alternative investment funds.
- Advised Juventus Football Club on the tax aspects surrounding the issue of a €175m bond.
- Assisted Anthilia Capital Partners SGR with the tax aspects of a new alternative investment fund called Anthilia BIT III, which is dedicated to investments in mini-bonds and other debt instruments.
Pirola Pennuto Zei & Associati focuses heavily on international corporate work and cross-border transactions. Along with nine offices in Italy, the firm also has an office in London, two offices in China and it plans to launch in Paris. Stefano Tronconi is experienced in tax planning and international taxation issues; Massimo Di Terlizzi is a corporate tax specialist; and Francesco Mantegazza advises on the tax aspects surrounding real estate and investment mutual funds, M&A, private equity and structured finance. Fabio Oneglia is a key name for international corporate tax and VAT, and corporate reorganisations and audits.
‘It has strong knowledge and the partners and team are true professionals, available and timely.‘
‘There is strong and widespread competences within the teams.‘
‘It has in-depth knowledge on various issues and the ability to dialogue at various levels with the client, as well as the ability to summarise complex situations and provide effective support in making decisions.‘
‘Fabio Oneglia has great strategic vision.‘
Bain Capital Private Equity
Roberto Industrie Alimentari
- Acted for Ticket One in obtaining a positive ruling for the application of a Patent Box regime.
- Advised Nexi on the tax aspects surrounding the group’s reorganisation and refinancing.
- Acted for Dell’Orto in a successful Patent Box ruling.
Salvini e Soci - Studio Legale Tributario Fondato da F. Gallo
Salvini Escalar e Associati Studio Legale Tributario fondato da F. Gallo is now known as Salvini e Soci - Studio Legale Tributario Fondato da F. Gallo, following the departure of former name partner Gabriele Escalar, who launched Escalar e Associati - Studio Legale e Tributario. Livia Salvini's expertise spans direct and indirect tax issues, tax crime, the taxation of trusts and corporate tax. Giovanni Panzera da Empoli is noted for tax matters involving energy, telecoms and mass distribution chains, as well as litigation.
Livia Salvini; Davide de Girolamo; Chiara Todini; Giovanni Panzera da Empoli
‘It has strong knowledge of the oil, energy and renewable energy sectors, and the practice is efficient in delivering the legal product, particularly during litigation proceedings.‘
‘It is great for partner availability and engagement, in particular Giovanni Panzera da Empoli.‘
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato distinguishes itself through a combination of tax, regulatory and accounting advice. The team advises on the tax aspects and structures of cross-border deals across debt capital markets, NPLs, M&A and investment funds. It also has significant transfer pricing expertise. Francesco Guelfi is experienced in international tax planning, tax disputes and tax reorganisation transactions. Counsel Michele Milanese's practice includes corporate taxes, VAT, transfer pricing and tax compliance.
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Cain International Agent
Savills Investment Management
Signal Capital Partners
The Children Investment Fund
The Riverside Company
- Advised Morgan Stanley, as lead manager, and UBI Banca, as co-lead manager, on the tax issues surrounding the inaugural issue of a €175m non-convertible bond by Juventus Football Club.
- Assisted The Riverside Company, a global private equity firm, with the tax aspects of its acquisition of La Galvanina, an Italian producer of mineral water and soft drinks.
- Advised Cassa Depositi e Prestiti on the tax aspects connected to its approximately €130m panda bond issue.
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
In addition to corporate tax matters, Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato handles complex work including transfer pricing, Patent Box, negotiations with the Italian Tax Authority, tax litigation, international planning and voluntary disclosure matters. Gilberto Comi and Paolo Baruffi regularly advise the top management of industrial and commercial companies on tax issues.
Paolo Baruffi; Gilberto Comi; Renata Ricotti; Andrea Rittatore Vonwiller
AIG Lincoln Italia
Lemanik Asset Management
- Acted for Nexans Italia, which produces and trades power and telecoms cables, in withholding tax exemption-related litigation.
- Provided Do & Co, an international catering company, with tax advice on the management of Juventus stadium in relation to serving food and beverages.
- Advised Lemanik, which provides financial solutions to private and institutional investors, on the tax issues surrounding the establishment of a business in Italy.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani has broadened its activities in an effort towards becoming a full-service tax practice. Meanwhile, it remains well known for transfer pricing and permanent establishment tax issues. Its sector expertise includes luxury, automotive, food, banking and gambling, in addition to hi-tech and start-ups' digitalised businesses. The firm also has a robust litigation practice. Massimiliano Gazzo is a national and international tax specialist, and Tiziana Zona is a transfer pricing expert.
Massimiliano Gazzo; Tiziana Zona
‘This is a professional and business-oriented team.‘
De Rigo Group
Stanley International Betting
- Acted for De Rigo Group in opposing several high-profile challenges to its transfer pricing policy.
- Advised Commerzbank on the implementation of a new transfer pricing policy.
- Assisted Rain Irrigation with a pre-tax audit carried out by the Italian tax authorities, which was focused on transfer pricing matters.
Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale advises on domestic and cross-border business operations, from structuring complex transactions to ongoing domestic tax services and representation in administrative tax controversies and tax litigation. Tax planning specialists Marco Melisse and Sebastiano Sciliberto jointly head the department.
Marco Melisse; Sebastiano Sciliberto
Bank of China
CJ International Italy
Compagnia dei Caraibi
Hogg Robinson – GBT
Johnson Electric Asti
Legal & General
Merlin – Gardaland
Technologies for Water Services
Wolverine – Saucony
- Advised a client on tax audits, permanent establishment issues and transfer pricing.
- Assisted a client with the tax aspects of establishing an IP company in Italy.
- Acted for a client in tax ruling proceedings surrounding the Italian Patent Box regime.
Gattai Minoli Agostinelli & Partners' tax department is experienced in advising global private equity funds and international banks on cross-border acquisitions. It also advises multinational enterprises and corporations on direct and indirect tax matters. High-net-worth individuals and high-profile families are also clients. Cristiano Garbarini regularly advises on M&A tax structuring and LBOs.
Intermediate Capital Group
Alpha Private Equity
Bluegem Capital Partners
Intesa San Paolo
- Assisted Antares Vision with the tax aspects of its admission to listing.
- Advised Intermediate Capital Group on the tax ramifications surrounding the issuance of senior secured floating-rate notes.
- Advised Alpha Private Equity on the tax issues surrounding the acquisition of Laminam.
Linklaters hired Roberto Egori from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in 2019 as head of the tax practice in Italy. Egori advises on the tax aspects surrounding domestic and cross-border M&A, corporate reorganisations, capital markets and structured finance transactions, financings, and real estate deals. His practice also covers tax rulings, tax refund claims, audits, assessments, settlements and litigation.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi assists with complex international tax issues, including transfer pricing. The practice also has specific expertise in the oil and gas, e-commerce, automotive and computer technology sectors. Real estate transactions-related tax advice, private client issues and tax litigation have been areas of particular growth. Bruno Gangemi is a domestic and international corporate taxation expert, and Francesco Capitta has considerable experience of providing tax assistance to multinationals, private equity and real estate funds. Arnaldo Salvatore is an indirect taxation specialist.
‘It delivers perfect co-operation and very fast responses.‘
‘It has the ability to give super-personalised assistance directly through a partner.‘
‘The team dedicates the right practices with great ability and a focus on priorities.‘
‘It is liked for its stability, transfer pricing expertise, prompt response times, availability and clear communication.‘
‘It gives the responses that are needed and is receptive to differing viewpoints. The team also has skilled communicators.‘
‘The advisers pay great attention to detail and find suitable solutions. All their responses are explained clearly and thoroughly, with a good awareness of what matters to the client, first drawing the big picture and then entering into the details. It is also always appreciated that they respond to phone calls.‘
‘Each individual who forms the team provides his/her unique experience and they are all valuable, each in a different way.‘
‘Bruno Gangemi is a partner, who, thanks to his vast experience and deep knowledge of fiscal matters, is always capable of providing very-high quality advice.‘
Corum Asset Management
European Space Agency
Compagnia Valdostana Acque
Ford Credit Europe
MND Drilling & Service
Telis Insolvency Administration
San Marco Progetti
Ocean Bulk Group
- Provided tax assistance to Ford Credit Europe in relation to the proposed cross-border transfer of certain businesses in Europe.
- Successfully represented Corum Asset Management in a tax litigation, which related to the application of a 50% reduction of real estate transfer tax to non-Italian real estate funds.
- Advised Airbus Helicopters on the tax aspects regarding the acquisition of the Aersud Group.
AC Avvocati e Commercialisti's tax consultancy services cover compliance, national and international tax planning and due diligence. The team also provides legal opinions on tax matters and acts in tax-related litigation. Angelo Carlo Colombo assists with transactional and contentious tax matters, and Marilena Biella focuses on tax planning, transfer pricing and extraordinary and restructuring transactions.
Angelo Carlo Colombo; Marilena Biella
‘It has deep knowledge of Italian tax rules, legislation and implications. The team also has a proactive attitude when helping clients deal with tax issues and finds the best solutions based on their needs and peculiarities.‘
‘The team has great availability and it is easy to get in touch with the right professional and receive quick answers without particular formalities. The practice is skilled and prepared to face and solve even the most complex situations, both domestically and internationally.‘
‘This is an integrated firm with expertise both in legal (national and international) and accounting. The key factor that clients appreciate is that all the members of the firm are highly motivated in trying to understand the clients’ business environment and the goals of the client, and, consequently, they propose customised solutions. In addition, their experience in dealing with manufacturers and distributors in many market sectors is an added value, as it allows them and the client to compare experiences from different business areas and to think outside the box.‘
‘Angelo Carlo Colombo has a strategic view of issues and a pragmatic approach to solutions as if he is the entrepreneur.‘
‘Marilena Biella is skilled, punctual and precise, as well as being bright, to the point and always available.‘
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
SBB Cargo Italia
Enza Zaden Group
Digital Services Italy
- Advised an agricultural machines sector company on VAT and customs issues.
- Acted for Zoogamma on the tax issues surrounding a merger by incorporation.
- Advised Zoogamma on the tax aspects of its acquisition of residual minority shares in a whey and derivatives processing company.
Belluzzo International Partners' tax work focuses on private clients, trusts and corporate clients. International and cross-border matters and tax litigation are also key areas. Luigi Belluzzo's practice covers the tax issues surrounding corporate, tax and estate reorganisations, particularly regarding extraordinary finance operations and family business issues. Daniele Carlo Trivi focuses on financial taxation, international tax, cross-border transactions and corporate restructuring.
Luigi Belluzzo; Daniele Carlo Trivi; Ezio La Rosa
‘Studio Belluzzo is a firm with a lot of professionalism and the ability of its partners to understand clients’ needs makes it unique.‘
‘The practice’s professionals have great interpersonal skills as well as specific skills that are difficult to find in other offices.‘
- Advised Idea Holding on the tax aspects of its joint venture agreement with Spanish multinational, Orkli.
Jones Day's Milan Office is fully integrated with the firm's other worldwide offices and practice areas. Marco Lombardi jheads the Milan office; he has advised on the tax aspects of international transactions for over 25 years. Also key to the practice is of counsel Luca Ferrari, who assists with national and international tax planning, as well as the tax issues surrounding M&A, private equity, and restructuring.
La Naia, Di Oronzo & Partners – LDP
La Naia, Di Oronzo & Partners – LDP fields experts in international taxation, compliance, transfer pricing, M&A, corporate finance and private equity. The practice also handles tax-related restructurings and insolvencies and litigation. The firm is a member of The Leading Edge Alliance - LEA Global, an international association of independently owned accounting and consulting firms. Giuseppe Lanaia acts for multinational groups' branches and subsidiaries, and Monica Di Oronzo is a domestic and international tax specialist.
Giuseppe La Naia; Monica Di Oronzo
Enervitabio Santa Reparata Società Agricola
World International School
- Advised the Richard Mille group, which sells luxury watches worldwide, on the tax aspects of the reorganisation of its Italian corporate entity.
LCA Studio Legale advises on income tax, VAT, excise fees, customs duties and international taxation. It also acts in all stages of proceedings before the national Tax Authority and the Customs Authority. Giulio Azzaretto and Matteo Moretti are corporate and international taxation specialists.
Giulio Azzaretto; Matteo Moretti
‘This solid and competent team adapts to clients’ needs with a non-formal approach.‘
‘It has the capacity to find tailor-made solutions.‘
Casino di Saint Vincent
Veolia Water Technologies Italia
.Consorzio Agrario Terrepadane Scarl
Orion Capital Managers
- Assisted Veolia Water Technologies Italia with tax issues.
- Acted for Arriva Italia on an excise duty assessment on diesel fuel, as well as in the consequent tax litigation and refund procedure.
- Advised Banca Profilo on the VAT structuring of equity investments.
LED Taxand Studio Legale Tributario
LED Taxand Studio Legale Tributario was founded in 2018 by former Fantozzi e Associati partners Guido Arie Petraroli and Alfredo Fossati. Petraroli is an international tax and tax litigation expert, while Fossati assists with the management of the tax issues involving Italian and multinational groups and financial investors. The firm is the Italian member of Taxand, a global independent tax organisation that has 400-plus tax partners in over 55 countries.
Alfredo Fossati; Guido Arie Petraroli
‘Clients particularly appreciate the expertise of the corporate taxation and transfer pricing teams, as well as its co-ordination and great support through the global network Taxand, including within the area of international taxation.‘
‘The professionals deliver solutions on time and clients can rely on their expertise and intuition. It is all a matter of trust.‘
Navis Capital Group
Europa Risorse SGR
Polis Fondi SGR
Klepierre Management Italia
Coima RES Siiq
Alvarez & Marsal Capital Partners
- Advised Jindal Group on the tax aspects of the acquisition of Treofan Italy.
- Assisted BluJay Solutions, which is known for network solutions and logistics and transportation software, with the tax aspects of the acquisition of ERA System.
- Advsied Navis Capital Partners on the tax aspects of the acquisition of Texon Italia.
Morri Rossetti e Associati
Morri Rossetti e Associati advises on the tax planning surrounding corporate transactions, real estate deals, acquisitions and sales of equities, and the restructuring of companies and groups. Additional areas include tax litigation and transfer pricing. It stands out for its provision of tax risk assessment services. Davide Attilio Rossetti is an international taxation specialist, and Fabrizio Gaetano Pacchiarotti deals with the verification, assessment and settlement of tax disputes.
Davide Attilio Rossetti; Fabrizio Gaetano Pacchiarotti
‘Morri Rossetti is always capable of quickly understanding all the issues related to a deal. The team is always multidisciplinary, composed of tax advisers and lawyers, headed by at least one partner. Their distinctive qualities are the ability to listen and to take care of clients’ needs, matched with their technical skills.‘
‘Their key capabilities compared with other firms are time management, problem solving, attention to details, and the internal organisation between the tax and legal practice areas.‘
‘They have the ability to analyse data in real time, adapt to different situations, establish relationships and achieve goals.‘
‘It has great litigation management quality.‘
‘They are very strong in tax matters and the advisers’ feedback is always accurate and on time.‘
‘Davide Attilio Rossetti has great expertise, flexibility and availability, and provides an excellent service.‘
CSI – Compagnia Surgelati Italiana (Findus)
UCI (Wanda Group)
- Advised Fimi on the tax issues surrounding the acquisition of Laeb which designs and produces control, adjustment, supervision and automation systems.
- Acted for Cogeneration Rosignano in the tax aspects surrounding the filing of a tax ruling, which aims to obtain the Italian Tax Authority’s agreement not to apply Italian tax rules to dormant companies.
- Assisted Findus with a Patent Box agreement with Rome’s Tax Revenue Agency.
Nunziante Magrone advises on income tax, tax litigation, and transfer pricing and permanent establishment assessments. Other focus areas are optimisation of dividends, interest and royalty payments, tax planning and VAT, as well as advising private families and family businesses on safeguarding family assets and generational planning. Claudio Giordano assists with transactional and contentious matters. International tax expert Carlo Sallustio and Fabio Capezzone, who is experienced in the hotels sector, both joined from Ughi E Nunziante in 2018.
Claudio Giordano; Carlo Sallustio; Fabio Cappezzone
‘It has very good knowledge of tax laws and regulations, as well as local and central tax authority practices.‘
‘Provides attention to detail, speedily responds and understands situations in a short time.‘
‘Claudio Giordano is very helpful in keeping clients updated on new developments, providing drafts of planned correspondence in a timely manner, and maintaining good working relationships with the tax authorities.‘
Adamis Group Italia
Toyota Motor Europe
Southern Cross Group
Radisson Hotel Milan
Radisson Hotel Rome
Agile Sports Technologies
- Advised multinational company Vicente Torns on a tax audit that focused on transfer pricing.
- Acted for Tessenderlo in a tax litigation concerning the re-characterisation of a complex transaction as a sale of a going concern.
- Advised General Motors on a transfer pricing audit and subsequent double taxation-related application for an arbitration under the EU Arbitration Convention.
Pavia e Ansaldo's team is now led by new hire Marco Jannon, who provides tax advice to renewable energy companies, from Puri Bracco Lenzi. The practice assists international and Italian investment funds, with typical work including M&A tax planning, transfer pricing and corporate tax residencies. It also fields experts in tax litigation and advisory work. In addition, the team has food sector experience.
‘The team is complete and assists clients on the basis of skin-in-the-game experience. It always finds a solution to complete the deal.‘
‘It has in-depth knowledge of tax subjects, with a best-in-class team for the energy sector after the entrance of Marco Jannon.‘
‘The team has a great focus on clients’ needs and it goes the extra mile to ensure clients get the most comprehensive overview, including practical interpretations and benchmarking with market practices. Marco Jannon and his recently joined team are the adviser of choice for a number of large groups, both Italian and international.’
‘Marco Jannon has an incredible capacity to assist clients in a very practical and rounded way. He is fully aware of any potential issue that could arise in a deal and he always has the right approach and solution.‘
Tüv Rheinland Italia
- Advised Basell Poliolefine Italia on the preparation of country-specific documentation, which is required by Italian transfer pricing regulations.
- Advised Enovos Solar Investments, a renewable energy player, on the possible application of elements of the Italian Tax Act in the event of a waiver of credit by shareholders.
- Acted for Cpg Società di Cartolarizzazione in a long-running tax appeal before the Supreme Court of Cassation, which related to withholding taxes for securitisation transactions.
Studio Tributario Tognolo
Studio Tributario Tognolo's main areas of practice are international tax, litigation, transfer pricing, advance pricing arrangements, Patent Box regimes and co-operative compliance programmes. Paolo Tognolo is included in the Milan Tax Courts' Register of technical consultants as an expert in international tax matters. Francesco Spurio is a transfer pricing and international taxation specialist.
‘It is appreciated for its competence, professionalism, organisational skills and fairness, and its excellent ability to work in a team.‘
‘The key capabilities are its following of different topics with attention to detail and an approach that obtains the best results for clients.‘
‘The approach suggested by the firm is essential to obtaining very positive, and even unexpected, results.‘
‘It offers high levels of competence and strong support in the field. This, added to availability, ensures that a relationship of complete trust is established.‘
‘Paolo Tognolo is prepared, professional and technically competent.‘
‘Paolo Tognolo and Francesco Spurio are extremely prepared in relation to transfer pricing, offering a very high level of technical support, wide experience and practical solutions to very complex challenges.‘
Volvo (Renault trucks) Italy
Dolce & Gabbana Group
LVMH – P&C – Italy
- Advised Dolce & Gabbana Group on a mutual agreement procedure, which was signed between the Italian tax authorities and the US’ IRS.
- Advised Pirelli Italy on negotiations with the Italian tax authorities in relation to the Italian Patent Box regime.
- Assisted Dolce & Gabbana Group with a transfer pricing policy.
Withers Studio Legale's Italian tax team, led by inheritance and trusts tax specialist Giulia Cipollini, advises several fashion brands on structuring their tax planning and on structuring their charitable presence. It also acts for household names in the sports world on corporate tax matters and is experienced in the relocation of ultra high-net-worth individuals.
‘Giulia Cipollini and her tax and wealth planning team are able to provide unique and accurate advice on complex and cutting-edge matters relating to both domestic and international tax planning. They are proactive and effective.‘
‘Giulia Cipollini has valuable experience with high-end entrepreneurs and company managers, especially in the fashion and arts sectors, which allows her clients to rely upon her and her team completely, from the beginning of an elaborate matter to the very end of it.‘
Burger King Restaurants Italia
Casa Vinicola Zonin
- Provides Casa Vinicola Zonin, the largest privately owned wine producer in Italy, with general Italian tax advice on an ongoing basis.
- Assisted Burger King Restaurants Italia with filing a Patent Box ruling with the Italian Tax Authorities.
DWF's 'business-oriented' team is led by Tancredi Marino, who advises on the tax aspects of M&A, securitisation, structured finance and cross-border bank lending transactions. Marino also has expertise representing private clients in tax controversy matters.
Caceis Bank Deutschland GmbH
DMG Mori Seiki
AJ Capital Management SA
Eisvogel Group AG
Giovannelli e Associati Studio Legale's recent highlights include advising on the tax aspects of a number of M&A transactions. Eugenio Romita heads the tax team, and focuses on corporate and finance tax as well as private client tax matters.
CMT Utensili Group
Riello Investimenti Partners
- Advised on the tax aspects of Investindustrial Growth’s acquisition of Dispensa Emilia Group.
- Represented Rubinetterie Cristina in an administrative procedure with the Italian Tax Authorities relating to obtaining Patent Box tax benefit for the company’s trade marks and patents for the financial years 2015 – 2019.
- Acted for Benvic Europe on the tax aspects of its acquisition of a business from Vinyloop Ferrara.
Gitti and Partners' tax expertise encompasses transactional work, transfer pricing issues, structuring mandates and tax litigation. Diego De Francesco and counsel Gianluigi Strambi are the key names to note.
Diego De Francesco; Gianluigi Strambi
- Advised Ardian on the tax aspects of its acquisition of Sintetica.
- Acted for Principia on the tax aspects of its acquisition of Gada.
lawpartners, studio legale e tributario
lawpartners, studio legale e tributario advises domestic and international clients on the tax aspects of corporate and M&A and restructuring transactions; it also handles transfer pricing, VAT issues and tax litigation. Paolo Giovannini, Claudio Todesco, Matteo Rapinesi and Dario Augello are the practice heads.
Matteo Rapinesi; Paolo Giovannini; Claudio Todesco; Dario Augello
- Handled the tax aspects of footballer Stephan El Shaarawy’s transfer to Shanghai Shenhua.
Lexat Advisory has notable expertise in tax planning, compliance, international taxation and transfer pricing matters. Recent instructions saw the team advising on a number of transfer pricing mandates and acting on the tax aspects of M&A transactions. Founding partner Marco Salvatore, who is also a chartered accountant and statutory adviser, is the main contact.
Manutan Italia S.p.A.
Mitutoyo Italiana S.r.l.
Designa Italia S.r.l.
- Advising Manutan Italia on a transfer pricing matter.
- Handling the transfer pricing operations for Designa italia S.r.l.
- Acting for Mitutoyo Italiana on transfer pricing issues.
PwC TLS Avvocati e Commercialisti
PwC TLS Avvocati e Commercialisti is praised for its 'flexibility and excellent client care'. The team is well versed in corporate tax, VAT and transfer pricing matters as well as tax litigation. Managing partner Fabrizio Acerbis handles a broad range of contentious and non-contentious matters; Alessandro Caridi has notable experience in cross-border taxation; and Nicola Broggi is the key name to note for advice on the tax aspects of M&A transactions.
Fabrizio Acerbis; Nicola Broggi; Alessandro Caridi
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is flexible and always delivers great client care.‘
Cassa Centrale Banca
Groupe Arnault SAS (LVMH)
Monte Paschi Siena
- Advising on the tax aspects of Michael Kors Holding’s acquisition of Givi Shares.
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo VAT Group with the implementation of VAT group rules.
- Represented Société Générale in tax litigation proceedings before the European Court of Justice.
Simmons & Simmons' team, led by Marco Palanca, is 'very competent in tax matters'. It handles the tax aspects of domestic and cross-border transactions (corporate, real estate, finance and restructurings), as well as transfer pricing matters and tax litigation. Recent highlights include advising 2R Capital Investment Management Limited on the acquisition of tax and VAT receivables, and acting for Italian company Monnalisa on the tax aspects involved in the admission to listing of the company’s ordinary shares on AIM Italia. Associate Pasquale Del Prete is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very supportive for cross-border transactions.‘
‘The team is very professional, efficient, precise and always coordinated.‘
‘The strong point of the team is the precision and the speed of their feedback.‘
‘The various departments are very integrated, with each other and with the London office, and this guarantees a high level of efficiency.‘
‘Marco Palanca and Pasquale Del Prete are very helpful and the quality of their interventions is always very high.‘
‘Marco Palanca and Pasquale del Prete are dedicated, and committed individuals. They are always available, and strive to meet deadlines. Their independent judgement and insightful analysis are exceptional and valued by us.‘
2R Capital S.p.A.
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro
Banco BPM S.p.A.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
BlackRock Asset Management
BlueBay Asset Management
Chartehouse Capital Partners
Credit Agricole S.p.A.
Depo bank S.p.A.
F2i SGR S.p.A.
Flexagon Capital Solutions
Intermediate Capital Group
Jupiter Asset Management
Nuova Castelli Group
Pricoa Capital Group
Three Hills Capital Partners
Tikehau Capital Management
Xenon Private Equity
- Advised Gnutti Carlo S.p.A. on the tax aspects of a €293m bank financing and a €50m US private placement granted by the Pricoa Capital Group.
- Advised on the tax aspects of Banca IMI, BNP Paribas and Unicredit Bank AG’s issuance of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti’s retail bond.
- Acted for Tikehau Capital on the tax aspects of Dedalus S.p.A.’s acquisition of a majority shareholding in SofTech.
Valente Associati GEB Partners stands out for its 'deep understanding of client's needs and business challenges'. Managing partner Piergiorgio Valente and Marco Bolzoni jointly lead the team, which has notable experience of handling tax litigation, and advising on the tax aspects of corporate and M&A transactions and transfer pricing matters.
Piergiorgio Valente; Marco Bolzoni
‘When delivering their services, their team adds value and strengthens the client relationship, they also demonstrate an understanding of client’s needs and business challenges.‘
‘Piergiorgio Valente provides integrated advice, offering clients comprehensive guidance and innovative solutions on local, cross-border and global matters.‘