Bird & Bird has great sector knowledge, in particular in the automotive branch and its supply chain, both of which also benefit from the firm’s technology and communication expertise. Stefano Silvestri provides corporate and commercial transactional advice; Alberto Salvadè handles restructuring and insolvency matters; and Simone Caddedu is a regulation expert.
Industry focus: Manufacturing in Italy
‘International team and available 24 hours.’
Shiloh Industries Italia
TK Elevator Italia
- Assisted TriMas Corporation with the acquisition of Affaba & Ferrari.
- Successfully represented Smiths Detection Italia S.r.l. in defending the award of a framework agreement for the supply and maintenance of 28 EDS machines for cabin baggage checks to be installed in the Milan-Linate and Milan Malpensa airports.
- Assisting BMW Group with its regulatory and compliance matters in Italy.
DLA Piper assists leading Italian and international manufacturers with a particular focus on the automotive, chemical and aerospace sectors. M&A, joint ventures and private equity transaction are at the core of the practice, which is led by Alessandro Piermanni. Focusing on cross-border M&A as well as acquisitions of family-owned companies, Danilo Surdi is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competence, professionalism, great willingness to help, determination in finding the best solution.’
‘Ability to prioritize objectives.’
- Assisted Sinv Group in the transaction whereby Aeffe S.p.A. acquired from Sinv Group 30% shareholding of Moschino S.p.A. which is now fully owned by Aeffe S.p.A.
- Advised GEA Group on the agreement to sell its refrigeration operations in Spain and Italy to Clauger SAS.
At Gianni & Origoni, a cross-practice team with great variety of specialisms is dedicated to assisting manufacturing companies in Italy and abroad. Competition and administrative law, corporate, M&A and IP lawyers among others provide assistance and representation tailored to the needs of the industry sector. In one highlight, Piero Fattori is leading on the team's representation of an Italian company facing proceedings initiated by the Italian Competition Authority.
Alfa Acciai S.p.A.
Arti Grafiche Reggiane & Lai
Bridgestone Europe NV
ESPO & Cartotec
Faerch Plast AS
- Assisting Innova Group S.p.A. and Innova Group – Stabilimento di Caino S.p.A. in proceedings initiated by the Italian Competition Authority against the most relevant market players and in the subsequent appeal against the decision of the ICA.
- Assisting Advent International-backed Faerch Plast A/S in the strategic acquisition of the Sirap food packaging business in Italy, Poland and Spain, from Italmobiliare (Italy).
- Assisting Safilo in the sale of the business branch of the Martignacco production site to iVision Tech.
In the manufacturing sector, Chiomenti stands out for its engagement in ordinary and extraordinary transactions. Among recent work highlights are M&A deals with complex financial structures and the involvement of prominent financial institutions. Luca Andrea Frignani leads the team and also acts as head of the firm’s London office.
Luca Andrea Frignani
‘Great competence, negotiation skills and expertise.’
CDP Equity S.p.A.
Life Care Capital S.p.A.
Fidia Farmaceutici S.p.A.
Esco Technologies Holding Llc
Taiwan Cement Corporation
EyePro System S.r.l.
Onward Italia S.p.A.
Longsa (Shanghai) Technology Development Co. Ltd.
Pusterla 1880 S.p.A.
Capvis General Partner V Limited LP
Alten Europe Sarl Group
- Advising Investindustrial Investment Holding S.À R.L. on the sale to Black Diamond Capital Management LLC of the equity interest in Polynt-Reichhold.
- Advising Stevanato Group S.p.A. in relation to the IPO of its ordinary shares on the NYSE.
- Advising Investindustrial Group Holdings S.A. on the purchase from the Hexion Group, in a 50:50 co-investment with Black Diamond, of various subsidiaries and other business assets active in the production and marketing of phenolic specialty resin, hexamine and European-based forest products resins.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton‘s clients in the manufacturing sector notably include steel, surface engineering and additive manufacturing companies, which receive M&A, antitrust and litigation assistance, provided by key figures Matteo Montanaro, Matteo Beretta and Ferdinando Emanuele, respectively.
Matteo Montanaro; Ferdinando Emanuele; Matteo Beretta
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsiveness; quality of the advice.’
‘Matteo Montanaro: responsiveness; advice tailored to the business.’
‘Big strong international brand with local staff.’
‘Matteo Montanaro leads a great team, which also includes Giulia Rimoldi.’
Clarios Italia S.r.l.
- Assisted ArcelorMittal throughout the complex project for the relaunch of the former Ilva steelworks in Taranto.
- Acting as counsel to AFV Beltrame, a leading Italian steelmaker, in connection with the acquisition of the JR and JO merchant bar business of Ferrosider, a company belonging to the Ori Martin Group, a leading group in the special steels sector.
- Acting as counsel to Smurfit Kappa Group plc, a company listed on the London Stock Exchange, on the acquisition from Burgo Group S.p.A. of the containerboard activities and business of the Verzuolo mill (in the province of Cuneo) for a cash consideration of €360 million.
Clients for the manufacturing industry turn to Pavia e Ansaldo for corporate, private equity, IP, tax and dispute resolution advice and representation. M&A transactions are also a key pillar of the practice, and the team recently acted on the sale of the Italian manufacturer Surfaces Group to a US private equity firm, work led by Giuseppe Besozzi. Stefano Bianchi is the managing partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Maximum commitment in understanding the business and providing the clear analysis of possible M&A activity.’
‘The curiosity and direct style of Mia Rinetti are of excellent quality.’
Bruni Glass S.p.A.
Contact Lab S.r.l.
LB Officine Meccaniche S.r.l.
M+W Italy S.r.l.
Saica Flex Italia S.p.A.
Saica Pack Italia S.p.A.
SKF Industrie S.p.A.
Surfaces Technological Abrasives S.p.A.
- Advised Surfaces Group, an Italian industrial manufacturer controlled by French private equity firm Astorg Partners, on its sale to US private equity fund TA Associates.
- Advised the Japanese manufacturer of medical devices Asahi Intecc on its acquisition of a 70% stake in Italian life sciences company Kardia.
- Advised H.I.G. Europe on the sale of Texbond, a manufacturer of specialty nonwoven fabrics, to Quadrivio Group.