The team at Bird & Bird assists large, multinational manufacturing companies with a broad range of transactions and is particularly active in the automotive industry. The practice is led by Stefano Silvestri, who is experienced in corporate and commercial transactions. Alberto Salvadè assists with M&A transactions, including one for PPG Industries Italia, and Simone Caddedu acts for clients on administrative law matters.
Industry focus: Manufacturing in Italy
Other key lawyers:
Alberto Salvedè; Simone Caddedu
‘The human approach despite the great professionalism of the profiles.’
‘Ability to understand customer needs quickly and without formalisms.
‘The strong points are the availability and reactivity whenever an analysis support or an opinion is requested. The ability to immerse oneself in situations by effectively identifying the scenarios to support decision making efficiently.’
‘The distinctive traits of the partners who directly support my company are availability, responsiveness in responses but above all intelligence in reading the context capable of effectively reading the scenarios related to the different choice options that are on the table, this last feature in particular is of great support in making decisions in a time-limited context. Furthermore, we greatly appreciate the ability to understand the policies of our group anticipating any objections of the internal legal office, which, not being based in Italy, needs to understand the regulatory eco system in which we operate. The firm gives us an extremely effective support.’
Claas Italia S.p.A. / Usines Claas France
La Termoplastic FBM
Phase Motion Control Ningbo
PPG (NYSE: PPG)
Smiths Detection Italia
Tempur Sealy Italia
ThyssenKrupp Elevators Italia
Widex A/S-Widex Italia
- Advised Smiths Detection Italia on several tenders launched by Italian airports – including inter alia Milan (both Linate and Malpensa), Rome and Bari – as well as by the Italian Customs Agency for the award of contracts for the supply and maintenance of x-ray machines for hold baggage checks.
- Assisted PPG with the acquisition of Industria Chimica Reggiana (ICR) S.p.A., a manufacturer of paints and coatings for the automotive refinish and light industrial coatings industries.
- Assisted the Italian subsidiaries of BMW Group on antitrust aspects with particular reference to the planning and implementation of new business projects (including with long-term rentals and aftersales services), the development of business relationships with partners and suppliers in Italy.
The team at DLA Piper provides corporate assistance to local and global clients within the manufacturing industry. The firm benefits from a team of experts able to provide clients with guidance on complex transactions that fall under the golden power regulation and advice on how to reach their business goals without obstruction from the state. The team is led by industry expert Alessandro Piermanni, who leads on M&A, joint venture and private equity transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Wolf Michael Kühne
‘The team’s resources carried out the tasks demonstrating – great ability to understand the problem but also the context and relationships of the parties – professionalism in management – innovative solutions – commitment dedicated to the topic – availability’.
- Assisted Finproject with the exit of VEI Capital; Vei’s 40% share was acquired by Versalis.
Gianni & Origoni
The team at Gianni & Origoni assists a broad range of clients with financing, restructuring and M&A transactions. In one highlight, the team assisted with Europe's biggest government-backed financing to a carmaker since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic; Matteo Bragantini led this transaction.
- Assisted ArcelorMittal with all legal aspects of its investment in Ilva, starting from the participation to the sale procedure, including recent assistance with terminating the lease agreement and the negotiation with the government and the extraordinary commissioners for a restructuring of the industrial plan and a revision of the agreements.
- Assisted Safilo Group with the acquisition of a 61.34% equity interest in the Miami-based company Prive Goods, LLC “Privé Revaux” from TSG Consumer Partners, California-based private equity company.
- Assisted Sugherificio Ganau with the filing of petition for a composition with creditors under Sect. 161, par. 6, Italian Bankruptcy Law.
Led by Luca Andrea Frignani, the team at Chiomenti assists with M&A, financing, and corporate restructuring transactions. Clients range from leather goods and personal care manufacturers to investment groups. The practice has recently assisted with the sale and transfer of the Trentino Group, a manufacturer of insecticide, perfume and personal care products sold in 130 countries, to Knowlton Development Corporation.
Luca Andrea Frignani
‘Professionalism and speed.’
CDP Equity S.p.A.
Life Care Capital S.p.A.
- Advised CDP Equity on the negotiation and signing of an investment agreement with Mr. Pietro Salini, Salini Costruttori and Salini Impregilo, concerning, inter alia, the equity investment by CDPE in Salini Impregilo through subscription of a capital increase of the latter.
- Advised Zobele Holding S.p.A., its affiliate Z Gamma B.V. as well as its respective subsidiaries on the sale and transfer to Knowlton Development Corporation Inc. (KDC).
- Advised Versalis, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Eni S.p.A., on the transaction involving (i) the execution of a preliminary agreement for the purchase of 40% of the share capital of Finproject S.p.A. from Venice European Investment Capital S.p.A., the simultaneous execution of a put and call option agreement for the purchase of the remaining 60% of the share capital of Finproject from Team S.r.l.
Pavia e Ansaldo's manufacturing team acts for a diverse range of clients including automotive, food, plastic, chemical and metal manufacturers. Sven von Mensenkampff, whose German roots and dual-qualified status make him a go-to choice for some of the biggest German manufacturers operating in Italy, jointly heads the practice with managing partner Stefano Bianchi.
Stefano Bianchi; Sven von Mensenkampff
M+W Italy S.r.l.
Robert Bosch Group
Saica Flex Italia S.p.A.
Saica Pack Italia S.p.A.
SKF Industrie S.p.A.
Surfaces Technological Abrasives S.p.A.
- Represented Proras in a major IP case before the Italian Supreme Court, which accepted the client’s arguments and overruled the judgment of Bologna’s Court of Appeal regarding an innovative process for the extraction of tannin.
- Advised Microgate on the drafting, negotiation and execution of an EPC contract for the largest optical observatory in the world (the Giant Magellan Telescope).
- Advised Sichuan Gloport Investment Development Group, a state-owned Chinese fund, on its €120m investment in a major Italian manufacturer of advanced electronic systems for the automotive sector.