Industry focus: luxury goods in Italy
The 'outstanding', 'fully dedicated' and 'proactive' luxury focus team at BonelliErede covers a wide range of practice areas, including M&A, employment law, antitrust and IP. Antitrust expert Francesco Anglani heads the team, which acts for internationally recognised brands such as Giorgio Armani, among others. Nicola Marchioro, who was made partner in February 2019, is particularly active in corporate law for luxury clients. The firm is renowned for handling litigation for major clients in the Italian fashion sector. It is also able to draw on team members based in the firm's offices in Cairo and Dubai.
‘Nicola Marchiorio and Stefano Micheli have excellent technical expertise and a great sense of engagement. The job is always done according to the best standards. Good understanding of the clients business’ constraints.’
- Assisting Luxottica with competition matters related to the acquisition of Barberini in a deal worth €140m.
- Advising Trussardi on QuattroR’s acquisition of a majority stake in the business.
Chiomenti's luxury team numbers among its clients globally recognised Italian fashion brands Dolce & Gabbana, Versace and Sergio Rossi. Headed by Emanuele Barberis, who specialises in employment law (contentious and non-contentious), the practice focuses on corporate and employment law, M&A and IP. Highlights included advising Allegra Versace on the headline sale of her entire shareholding of Gianni Versace to Michael Kors Holding.
Dolce & Gabbana
Investindustrial Group Holdings
Milano Investment Partners
Sitoy AT Holdings Company
Yoox Net-À-Porter Group
- Advising Dolce & Gabbana on a restructuring process.
- Advising Investindustrial Group Holdings on the auction for the purchase of the entire corporate capital of the Louis Poulsen Group in a deal worth €230m.
- Assisting Etro with negotiations for an important trade mark licence agreement.
DLA Piper has expertise across a wide range of practice areas and handles the spectrum of work for clients in the fashion and luxury goods sectors. Areas of expertise include M&A, e-commerce and advertising law, as well as real estate, tax and white-collar criminal defence work. Team co-head Elena Varese, who has expertise in IP and fashion law, advised La Rinascente on drafting new template agreements with influencers. Fellow practice head Davide Rossetti frequently collaborates with IT experts in disputes against IT service providers.
Davide Rossetti; Elena Varese
Dolce & Gabbana
Industries Sportswear Companies
- Advising Brioni on the development of sustainable fabrics for the enhancement of the production of wool in the Abruzzo region.
- Acting for ISC and MCS in legal proceedings against Deloitte for the wrongful implementation of the ERP IT solution and consequent damages in a case worth €6m.
- Assisting Golden Goose with the implementation of its e-commerce platform and localisation in more than 30 jurisdictions.
Pavia e Ansaldo has considerable experience advising luxury brands. The practice, which is led by Gian Paolo Di Santo, is traditionally involved in litigation and brand management. In recent times, it has slowly been re-defining its focus in order to meet the shifting market needs, which now also includes a strong digital component. The team has expanded its trade mark, patent and contract offering by taking on more IP and e-commerce projects for high-end clients.
Gian Paolo Di Santo
Alice & Olivia Inc.
Calvin Klein Inc.
E. Marinella S.r.l.
Fast Retailing USA, Inc.
Haeres Equita S.r.l.
La Prairie S.p.A.
PRL – Polo Ralph Lauren
The Sonnabend Collection Foundation
- Acting for iconic luxury fashion brand PRL – Polo Ralph Lauren in successful trade mark infringement actions and enforcement.
- Advising the European arm of US-based private equity and alternative investment firm H.I.G. Capital on its acquisition of three major Italian suppliers to the luxury fashion sector.
- Advising Taroni RE on the acquisition of a longstanding and renowned Italian manufacturer of high-end silk.
Deloitte Legal Italy -Società tra Avvocati a r.l.
Deloitte Legal Italy - Società tra Avvocati a r.l. Italy's fashion and luxury department was recently bolstered by the arrival of art and IP specialist Valentina Favero from Withers Studio Legale in 2019. Ida Palombella heads the IP department, and, in addition to handling work in that space, is also active in internet and data protection, and e-commerce matters. She has many years of experience in the fashion and luxury sectors, and her client portfolio includes brands, designers and fashion associations. Senior manager Federica Caretta, whose expertise is in corporate M&A, is another name to note.
Italian National Chamber of Fashion
10 Corso Como
- Representing CNMI before the Court of Milan in a trade mark counterfeiting action.
- Assisting 10 Corso Como with the protection of IP related to the opening of a new store and art gallery in New York.
- Acted for Balmain on the acquisition of a going concern from Valentino.
The fashion and luxury team at Hogan Lovells International LLP covers a range of practice areas related to the sector. The firm has handled M&A for luxury clients, and is also active in IP, both in high-value litigation and advising on advertising, trade mark and distribution agreements. The department has also recently handled a number of real estate and administrative cases in this space. Antonio Di Pasquale is a key name for corporate law, while the team also benefits from Giovanni Ghirardi's expertise in trade marks and unfair competition. Head of IP, Luigi Mansani, leads ongoing advice to Bottega Veneta on IP matters. Senior associate Maria Luce Piattelli is also noted.
‘Deep knowledge and responsiveness.’
JAB Luxury Group
- Assisting Il Bisonte with the sale by Palamon Capital Partners of the holding company to listed Japanese fashion brand distributor, Look Holding.
- Advising Fagerhult on its €385m acquisition of iGuzzini illuminazione.
- Assisting Bottega Veneta with IP matters.
With specialists covering the fashion, restaurant, wellness and beauty industry, Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati has a wide reach within the luxury goods market. Clients - predominantly Italian production and distribution companies of high-end products - benefit from an extensive legal offering in many practice areas, spanning from strategic and regulatory matters to corporate, data protection and also litigation and M&A. Intellectual property matters such as trade marks and brand protection are a core focus. Pierfrancesco Giustiniani and Fabrizio Sanna are key names.
- Advising, together with Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, on the acquisition of Versace by Michael Kors (now Capri Holdings Limited).
- Advising Moschino S.p.A. on corporate governance matters and commercial agreements.
- Assisting Condé Nast with regulatory matters.
Bird & Bird's luxury goods team covers a range of practice areas but is particularly strong in IP thanks to both the firm's global reputation and the presence in the team of Massimiliano Mostardini, who is 'a true legend in the Italian and European landscape of IP professionals'. Mostardini jointly heads the group with Giovanni Galimberti and Stefano Silvestri. Claudia Ricciardi and Rita Tardiolo were promoted to counsel in 2019; Ricciardi focuses on IP contracts, and Tardiolo, recognised as 'one of the most capable and committed members of the focus team', has expertise in IT, copyright and advertising.
Massimiliano Mostardini; Giovanni Galimberti; Stefano Silvestri
‘The team are always available to assist with all queries, questions and advice requests. This includes both significant projects and multiple random requests. Regardless of the significance, responses are always incredibly quick and helpful which is greatly appreciated. The strengths and capabilities lie in quickly helping to resolve issues and identifying the right professional in the firm to assist if it is not the individual who has been contacted directly.’
‘The team is probably one of the best teams in Italy for assisting clients in the sector, providing a tailored service on practically every legal area in the fashion business.‘
‘They are all personable, friendly, extremely responsive and clearly expert in their field. All the partners and team we deal with are very impressive.’
- Assisting a high-profile fashion house with a European patent for an elastic band opening system for its ankle boots.
- Advising Luxottica on the protection of its selective distribution system for RayBan sunglasses.
- Assisting luxury footwear brand René Caovilla with the protection of its exclusive rights, particularly with regard to the Snake sandal.
Nctm Studio Legale
Nctm Studio Legale's luxury and fashion team has broad coverage over various practice areas (corporate law, M&A, IP, real estate, civil and labour law), and has attracted a number of high-profile brands, including a new client in the luxury automotive sector. Many of the department's matters are cross-border and involve France, the US and the UK. Lorenzo Attolico heads the firm's IP practice; he recently handled a trade mark-related matter for Gucci. Michele Bignami focuses on labour law, and Paolo Lazzarino, who is a key name for trade mark litigation, successfully acted for Supreme NY in a counterfeiting matter.
Lorenzo Attolico; Michele Bignami; Paolo Lazzarino
‘The ability to look for concrete solutions to the issues that the company is facing.‘
Erregi Show Room
- Advising Gucci on naming and trade mark clearance matters in relation to the reproduction of third-party names, signs, marks and logo.
- Assisting Manolo Blanhik with several design and trade mark out-of-court matters as well as in litigation before the Court of Naples.
- Advising Mou on its anti-counterfeiting trade mark and design enforcement strategy in Italy.
The 'extremely competent and cooperative' team at Trevisan & Cuonzo is best known for trade mark protection and enforcement, copyright, advertising, licencing and distribution matters. Clients include a number of well-known fashion and automotive brands from Italy and abroad. Julia Holden, who is an expert in IP, and Lia Puntieri, who also leads the data protection and privacy law team, are the practice heads.
Julia Holden; Lia Puntieri
‘They are specialised and focused on their practice with a commercial approach. They are very good at assisting both domestic and foreign clients.‘
Emaar Hotels & Resorts