Highly experienced in the Italian and global luxury markets, BonelliErede‘s full-service luxury focus team covers corporate and M&A matters, along with litigation, tax, IP, competition, corporate governance and ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues. Leading the luxury focus team, Francesco Anglani is an expert in the application of antitrust regulations to luxury sector-related online and offline distribution contracts; Giovanni Guglielmetti specialises in IP, false and comparative advertising, privacy and complex litigation; Marco Maniscalco advises on the employment aspects of luxury goods work; and Alessandra Piersimoni acts on luxury-related transactions.
Industry focus: Luxury goods in Italy
‘BonelliErede’s integrated team is capable of following the various legal aspects of the luxury goods business – it provides a wide range of services, such as mergers, acquisitions, extraordinary transactions and signing of strategic contracts. The team also offered management strategies during the pandemic.‘
‘The partners have great expertise and legal experience, and are specialised in the high-end luxury sector.‘
‘Great for the availability and quality of collaborators, who can assist even with quick interventions.‘
‘In addition to its excellent reputation as a law firm, everything is carried out in an understandable language and transparently, and where necessary through the provision of online services.‘
‘Bonelli Erede has a dynamic, efficient and accessible team.‘
‘They quickly integrate the challenges of their client and manage to offer adapted solutions, thanks to their experience and flexibility.‘
‘The team acts as a facilitator on transactions, especially when transactions become more complex.‘
‘In addition to his perfect technical mastery, Nicola Marchioro is an excellent negotiator, who is endowed with great finesse and shows strong commitment.‘
Compagnie Financière Richemont
- Advised Moët Hennessy on the formation of a 50/50 joint venture with Campari Group for the purpose of investing in wines and spirits e-commerce companies.
- Advised Temasek (Singapore-based state-owned sovereign wealth fund of the Government of Singapore) on the agreement to sell its 30% stake in Sportswear Company, an Italy-based company that offers sportswear under the Stone Island brand, to Moncler.
A market leader for luxury sector-related extraordinary transactions, Chiomenti routinely advises on significant extraordinary deals involving companies in the luxury sector (both trade sales and private equity-related matters). The firm fields specialists who advise luxury operators (and their holding companies) on commercial, contractual, IP, tax and litigation issues (among others). Employment law head Emanuele Barberis specialises in the fashion and retail sectors, his experience including assessing the key issues surrounding the renewal of the fashion industry’s national collective bargaining agreement. Providing additional partner-level support are Filippo Modulo and Stefano Mazzotti.
Other key lawyers:
Filippo Modulo; Stefano Mazzotti; Paolo Bertoni; Luigi Mariani; Sara Molina
‘Reliability, punctuality and professionalism.‘
Dolce & Gabbana
Olmo Invest Europe
- Advising Michael Kors and Gianni Versace on a restructuring process at national level.
- Advising Investindustrial Acquisition Corp on a business combination with the Ermenegildo Zegna Group, aimed at listing the latter on the New York Stock Exchange, such transaction marking the first major listing of an Italian luxury brand on Wall Street through a SPAC.
- Advising Fueguia on an investment by Ilwaddi WLL (a Middle East-based investor), by means of the subscription of a reserved capital increase.
DLA Piper‘s team acts on the full gamut of fashion and luxury-related legal needs. Representative work covers the reorganisation of distribution networks, e-commerce platforms, labelling regulations and commercial agreements, along with brands’ retail expansion, IP portfolios, real estate, labour issues, compliance and tax. Davide Rossetti advises on distribution, sale and purchase, procurement, sub-contracting and service agreements in the fashion sector; Elena Varese is experienced in IP and fashion law matters; and Alessandro Piermanni is sought out by fashion and luxury clients for M&A, joint ventures and business units’ disposals.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm knows the sector and clients’ needs, and they are very fast and effective in their responses.‘
‘The team has excellent knowledge of the market and stands out from the crowd for its high-quality advice, flexibility and business-oriented approach.‘
‘The firm makes available a wide array of technological tools to clients, such as NFT services, and automated tools for migration of data and compiling of documents.‘
‘DLA Piper behaves as a trusted adviser by providing ad-hoc fee structures, secondment programmes and training.‘
‘Elena Varese is an extraordinary professional, who is highly competent and empathetic.‘
‘I have been working with Elena Varese for years and she has an unmatched knowledge and experience in IP and advertising matters. She always provides added value to her work and is able to anticipate the company’s needs.‘
‘Elena Varese is always available and capable of conveying trust and enthusiasm, even in the most challenging situations.‘
‘Tailored advice and capacity to think outside the box make Elena Varese one of the youngest market leaders in the field. Elena is a point of reference in the luxury space, and the seminars organised by her are a go-to appointment for the industry.‘
Dolce & Gabbana
- Assisted Sinv Group (namely Sinv Holding, Sinv Real Estate and Sinv Lab) in the transaction whereby Aeffe S.p.A. acquired from Sinv Group 30% shareholding of Moschino.
- Assisted Ermenegildo Zegna in the acquisition of the going concern of the Czech company Luxury Brand Management a.s., which was controlling Ermenegildo Zegna’s flagship store in Prague.
- Defended Tecnica in the drafting of the appeal before the General Court of the European Union for the protection of the three-dimensional trademark on the iconic Moon Boot ®.
Pavia e Ansaldo‘s enviable reputation in the luxury sector is characterised by its longstanding client relationships with some of the largest and most prominent brands in the world. In a recent 12-month period, the practice attracted a raft of new instructions from leading luxury and premium brands, spanning M&A, private equity, employment, dispute resolution and IP. One of the leading advisers to the Italian luxury sector, senior partner Gian Paolo Di Santo heads the industrial and IP department; experienced partner Mia Rinetti advises luxury brands on major transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Alice & Olivia
Fast Retailing USA
PRL – Polo Ralph Lauren
The Sonnabend Collection Foundation
- Continuing to assist PRL – Polo Ralph Lauren with an IP case involving the alleged infringement of its iconic ‘polo player on horse’ logo.
- Advised the current creative director (Francesco Risso) of renowned Italian luxury fashion brand Marni on negotiations for the renewal of his appointment.
- Assisting Christie’s with administrative, tax and criminal issues arising from the import and export of paintings and other high-end artworks.
Deloitte Legal Italy -Società tra Avvocati a r.l.‘s fashion and luxury team is praised for its ‘effective competence in this sector‘. Leading the Italian IP and technology sector group, Ida Palombella, whose career includes a stint as in-house counsel at fashion company Valentino, has particular experience in the legal issues affecting the fashion, design and luxury sectors, and assists with the management and commercialisation of Italian brands in Europe and Asia. Providing integral support are of counsels Carlotta Robbiano and Emilio Cucchiara, along with experienced director Federica Caretta.
Other key lawyers:
Carlotta Robbiano; Emilio Cucchiara; Federica Caretta; Aurora Falsarella
‘Strengths are their effective competence in this sector, the punctuality of their replies and availability.‘
‘Ida Palombella and her team are very competent, helpful and solve problems.‘
Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana (Italian Fashion Council)
CNMI Fashion Trust
Carla Sozzani Editore
Beauty and Luxury
Philipp Plein Parfums
Hogan Lovells International LLP‘s team advises the retail and fashion industries at every level, from business restructuring to marketing, product compliance, distribution, advertising and operations; clients additionally benefit from its e-commerce, IP, privacy, data transfer, mobile payments and real estate law expertise. The key names are M&A specialists Antonio Di Pasquale and Luca Picone, patent expert Giovanni Ghirardi, IP head Luigi Mansani, and real estate leader Marco Rota Candiani. Arbitration specialist Andrea Atteritano was made partner in 2020, and Maria Luce Piattelli and Paola La Gumina are experienced counsels.
Other key lawyers:
Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati‘s practice covers the key industries surrounding the luxury goods sector, including fashion, jewellery, automotive, cosmetics, furnishings, fine dining and publishing. Pierfrancesco Giustiniani has significant experience in M&A and other extraordinary transactions, capital markets deals, corporate matters, commercial contracts and litigation; Fabrizio Sanna advises primary enterprises within the luxury sector on IT and IP matters; and IP specialist Ludovico Anselmi was made partner in January 2020.
‘Compared to other firms with which I have worked in recent years, I have found an innovative approach in Orsingher Ortu.‘
‘The perception of our team is that the members of the Orsingher firm have retained a human and empathic approach to clients, compared to law firms of the same or larger size.‘
‘The team that deals with the resolution of disputes in the luxury world has worked side by side with our business team, not limiting itself just to consulting or litigation, but supporting us in implementing internal procedures that prevent certain problems, and on which our internal team can operate independently – this represents real added value.‘
‘Fabrizio Sanna and Pierfrancesco Giustiniani supported us with great availability and competence.‘
Steinway Musical Instruments
- Advised Ferrari on the enforcement of copyright for the shape of Ferrari’s cars.
- Advised Giorgio Armani on its investment in the share capital of The Italian Sea Group.
- Advised Aeffe on the acquisition of the entire control of Moschino.
ADVANT Nctm has a substantial track record in assisting companies operating in the luxury sector. The team assists with day-to-day legal matters, as well as M&A, listings, trade mark registrations, litigation, financings and cross-border taxation. Lorenzo Attolico acts on the IP aspects of fashion, new technologies, energy and virtual realities; Michele Bignami advises on the employment issues surrounding luxury goods; and Paolo Lazzarino assists with acquisitions of Italian brands.
‘The NCTM team is very competent regarding disputes involving Italian and community trade marks.‘
‘The collaboration with Paolo Lazzarino is fluid and timely.‘
Abercrombie & Fitch
Laps To Go Holding
- Assisted Gucci with confidential trade mark and design clearance matters, connected with the reproduction and elaboration of third party marks, logos and designs.
- Assisted Brunello Cucinelli with judicial proceedings commenced by Confezioni Peserico, which looked to ascertain that its products did not infringe Cucinelli’s exclusive rights on certain unregistered designs.
- Assisted Mou with a trade mark, copyright and design-based judicial action (before the Court of Naples) against two Italian manufacturers and distributors of look-alike boots.
Part of the firm’s international retail and consumer sector group, Bird & Bird‘s Italy luxury goods team works with some of the world’s best-known brands, as well as start-up businesses. It advises on all stages of the product and brand lifecycle, from design to manufacturing, distribution, marketing, retailing, advertising and promotion. Massimiliano Mostardini‘s IP practice covers fashion and luxury goods, while Giovanni Galimberti heads the firm’s Italian IP department.
Youngtimers Asset Company
Tommy Hilfiger Licensing
- Advised Dieter Rams on copyright transfers involving industrial design works.
- Assisted La Rinascente with the launch of its first online store.
- Assisted BMW Italy with advertising law.
Portolano Cavallo provides assistance with brand protection issues and digital matters, such as IT contracts, data protection and consumer law. The principal figures are IP head Lydia Mendola, who is particularly focused on disputes surrounding violations of trade marks and patents, design and copyrights; Manuela Cavallo, who assists foreign funds with fashion sector transactions; and Irene Picciano, who was made counsel in 2020 and has longstanding fashion and luxury industry experience.
With particular expertise in the clothing, wine, hi-tech products and automotive sectors, Trevisan & Cuonzo can boast a prestigious luxury goods client portfolio. The practice has longstanding experience in assisting luxury goods clients with protecting their brand images, and advising businesses on the expansion and enforcement of their rights. The principal advisers are IP specialists Julia Holden, a jointly qualified England and Wales solicitor and Italian attorney, Lia Puntieri and Francesca Ferrero.
Withers Studio Legale acts for luxury brands both in Italy and abroad. In 2021, the firm became a partner member of the Altagamma Foundation, a network for several of Italy’s leading luxury brands. The key names are Italian practice managing partner Roberta Crivellaro; luxury sector specialist Anthony Indaimo; Jacopo Liguori, who heads the Italy IP, technology and privacy team; and Giulia Cipollini, a go-to partner for fashion and art-related tax matters.
‘It is a good firm in terms of the quality of professionals and hourly costs – I found the right balance with this practice.‘