Studio Legale Corte is a boutique family law firm with a focus on food law. The group advises on food labelling, advertising, hygiene and crisis management. It also has notable expertise resolving disputes arising between corporate clients and supervisory bodies, including criminal cases or challenges against regulatory sanctions. Paola Corte specialises on food production and distribution; Elena Corte's focus is on commercial fraud and hazard analysis. The duo head the practice.
Industry focus: Food in Italy
Studio Legale Corte
Paola Corte; Elena Corte
‘Attention to human relationships, competence and preparation in the sector.’
‘The Corte Law Firm succeeds in combining competence with promptness in replies very effectively, also managing to become an important element even in preliminary decisions.’
‘Availability and speed in meeting even the most impromptu requests even in complex moments’
‘Long-standing specialization, accompanied by constant updating. Furthermore, all professionals are prompt in providing the required answers.’
‘Professionals who understand the needs of a multinational company. Always attentive to the customer and also proactive’
‘Absolutely professional, they are a unique support in the field of food law where they are experts and fine connoisseurs of the law in all its facets.’
‘Always very helpful. Elena Corte has great empathy, a characteristic that makes the relationship not only professional but also pleasant.’
‘Studio Legale Corte has a unique team of highly experienced practitioners in food law and related areas of law with a clear focus and long-standing history on the food industry’
‘Paola Corte is an exceptional food lawyer and really knows her stuff. She is also a great personality who pursues a diligent, considerate but also very practical, hands-on approach and is easy to work with. She speaks excellent English and is in particular able to deal with legal issues that have an international dimension. ’
‘They are all attentive professionals and close to the customer’s problems and are able to satisfy them promptly.’
‘The true dedication to one specific area of law makes the practice stand out from other firms. ’
‘Accuracy in the answers and strong professional skills in the field of food law.’
‘Strong professional skills in the field of food law. Elena Corte is clearly passionate about her work and this creates a relationship of absolute trust in her choices and in her professionalism’
‘In addition to a very high level of technical knowledge, the Corte Law Firm has the ability to propose the right action strategy based on the different needs to be reconciled.’
‘Availability and pragmatism’
- Advised multiple producers, large-scale retailers and mass caterers on food composition and labelling issues, and revised their HACCP manuals.
- Assisted one large-scale retailer and one restaurant chain in obtaining the health authorisations for implementing innovative technological food processing techniques.
- Acted for multiple large-scale retailers and producers in numerous criminal proceedings due to the sampling of food products which were found to have parasites, harmful bacteria, or plant protection products exceeding allowed limits.
MONDINI BONORA GINEVRA Studio Legale has a recognised market standing for its advice in the food industry. The team, which is entirely dedicated to food law, is led by the highly regarded Giorgio Rusconi, who covers all aspects of food, health and nutrition law, including EU regulation. Associate Omar Cesana additionally focuses on industrial and intellectual property for clients in the food industry. The department's client base grew in 2020, especially in the areas of novel food and food supplements. The team also addresses the needs of multinational companies thanks to a collaboration with the Food Lawyers' Network.
Other key lawyers:
Omar Cesana; Giulia Cozzolino
‘The organization of the team, competence and reliability’
‘Competence, availability and human relationships.’
‘Meticulousness and an international network’
Drogerie markt (DM)
Nutraceutical International Corporation
Treasury Wine Estates
Acetificio Marcello De Nigris
Consorzio Aceto Balsamico di Modena
Consorzio ‘Nduja di Spilinga
Coop Nord Ovest
Distillerie Fratelli Branca
Affinity Pet Care
Montefarmaco OTC SPA
Product Law Firm
Pastificio Rana s.p.a.
Piazza Grande s.r.l.
Enjoy Chips s.r.l.
- Advised the European Food Safety Authority on the outcomes of the newly introduced “Transparency Regulation” – Regulation (EU) 2019/1381, providing the Agency with a legal opinion on the practical arrangements for implementing the confidentiality rules laid down in the Regulation including arrangements concerning the submission and treatment of confidentiality requests with respect to information to be made public.
- Advised San Carlo on a multi-jurisdictional project aimed at assessing the legal compliance and validating the presentation of the products in a number of countries in five continents.
- Advised Deliveroo with respect to a number of food law issues concerning projects aimed at optimising the organisation of the company and improving the quality of the services.
In the food law space, Bird & Bird has a particular focus on IP issues. The team also works with the wider firm's experts in EU law, commercial, tax and compliance in relation to food industry matters. Clients mainly include food and beverage producers, packaging manufacturers, distributors and retailers, and notably, Italian food consortia. Giovanni Galimberti and Massimiliano Mostardini, who are often active in trade mark infringement proceedings, are the key names to note.
Giovanni Galimberti; Massimiliano Mostardini
Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco
Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano
International Flavors & Fragrances I.F.F.
- Acted for Ferrero in infringement proceedings.
- Assisting constantly the Consorzio to contest the violation of the PDO Prosecco by companies from all over the world.
- Assisting Carpenè Malvolti in the handling of of its trade mark portfolio.
DLA Piper provides cross-practice advice to clients in the food and beverage industry. The team is led by IP and technology lawyer Elena Varese, who specialises in contentious and non-contentious matters relating to competition and advertising and is praised for her 'in-depth knowledge', and by litigation and regulatory expert Davide Rossetti. The group is part of the firm's international consumer goods team.
Davide Rossetti; Elena Varese
‘DLA Piper demonstrates great knowledge of the sector, efficiency and ability to manage complex situations in a collaborative and transparent environment.’
‘Elena Varese has in-depth knowledge of IP and advertising. She always manages to add value to her work and anticipates the clients’ requests. She can clearly convey complex concepts even to people without a legal background. She is fast in replying, always available, attentive to detail and focused on results both in litigation and in opinion and negotiation activities. She has the ability to think outside the box and to convey confidence and enthusiasm.’
Holding Dolciaria Industriale S.p.A.
Fida trade S.r.l
Mondelez (formerly Kraft).
LCA Studio Legale has a 'very specialised' food law department, with professionals who handle both regulatory matters and extraordinary operations in the food sector. Practice head Nicola Lucifero covers competition law, IP and customer protection cases. His team has a particular strength in European and international law and regulation. Italian and foreign multinational companies, as well as public and private entities operating throughout the food chain, are the team's main clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘Permanent responsiveness, substantial knowledge and expertise and strategic thinking.’
‘Nicola Lucifero and Edoardo Calcaterra are outstanding lawyers. They all display attributes that are expected from a collaboration with foreign lawyers: knowledge and seasoned experience, professionalism, integrity, strategic thinking, enthusiasm and responsiveness. But more than that, they consistently exhibited dedication, concern and interest in the project and in the client.’
‘Deep knowledge of agri-food law and organization’
‘Competence, professionalism and availability’
‘LCA has a department of food law with several professionals who are very specialized and capable of dealing with ordinary issues of regulatory law and extraordinary operations in the agri-food sector.’
‘Ability to work in different areas of the agri-food sector with a punctual and very professional approach.’
Bouvard Italy S.p.A.
Del Monte Italy S.r.l.
DeA Capital Alternative Funds SGR
- Assisting Puratos Italia with the interpretation of the EU and Italian food law in respect to regulatory matters.
- Assistance Bonduelle Italia with matters relating to origin, labelling, claims and the company’s liability for such information in contractual relationships.
- Advising Colussi on the acquisition, from the private equity fund Alto Partners, of an 80% stake in La Suissa.
Nctm Studio Legale combines a strong knowledge of EU and WTO law with a focus on M&A, employment and corporate law for the food sector. Brussels-based team co-head Bernard O’Connor is a popular choice for international clients and government entities. Milan-based Paolo Gallarati has significant experience of complex Italian and international transactions.
Bernard O’Connor; Paolo Gallarati
‘Multidisciplinary competence and the high level of professionalism’
‘Excellent technical, legal preparation, full availability and courtesy, rapid response.’
Roberto Industria Alimentare
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Guyana
Jackson Family Wines
Acqua Minerale San Benedetto S.p.A.
Salumificio Fratelli Beretta
Tate & Lyle
Masi Agricola S.p.A.
AB Inbev Italia S.p.A.
Associated British Foods
- Assisting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Guyana with the registration of Demerara as a geographical indication for rum, molasses and sugar.
- Advised Acqua Minerale San Benedetto on verifying and updating its organisation, control and management model as well as its code of ethics.
- Assisted Caseificio Giordano, a Piedmont dairy farm that produces mozzarella fior di latte, buffalo mozzarella and other traditional stretched-curd cheeses, with the sale of the entire stake of the company to Caseificio Villa, another Italian cheese producer and owned by Auricchio Group.
Chiomenti advises Italian and foreign companies operating in the retail, food and consumer goods markets, which have been growing areas of interest for the firm in recent years. The group assists with M&As, food production issues and compliance. Massimiliano Nitti, head of the M&A department, is the key contact, but professionals from other departments, including IP, administrative, labour and competition law, are also active for clients from the food industry.
P 101 SGR
Centrale del Latte Italiana
Azienda Agricola Villa Sparina
Casoni Fabbricazioni Liquori
Terme di San Vittore
SK Dionysus Holdings S.à.r.l.
Casa Vinicola Zonin
BC Partners LLP
Centrale Adriatica, Copp Alleanza 3.0, Coop Centro Italia, Coop Italia, Unicoop Firenze and Unicoop Tirreno Società Cooperativa
- Advising Morato on the acquisition of the entire corporate capital of Cerealto Antequera S.L.U. factory from Cerealto Siro Foods S.L.
- Advising Pasta Zara on the drafting and filing of the company’s petition for the admission to a pre-insolvency workout agreement with creditors (concordato preventivo) on a going-concern basis before the Court of Treviso.
- Acting for Casoni Fabbricazione Liquori in trade mark infringement, unfair competition and damages compensation proceedings.
Clients from the food industry turn to Trevisan & Cuonzo for expert advice on IP matters relating to the sector. The team is mostly known for acting for Italian food producers in plant variety rights protection, enforcement of plant breeder’s rights and geographic indications. Vincenzo Acquafredda is an expert in labelling, trade marks and agricultural technology; Daniela Ampollini focuses on multi-jurisdictional litigation. The duo are responsible for the firm's Bari and Parma offices respectively.
Daniela Ampollini; Vincenzo Acquafredda
Other key lawyers:
Grape & Grape Group Srl
Nova Siri Genetics S.r.l. (NSG)
Italian Variety Club (IVC)
- Assisting Societé Coopérative d’Intérêt Collectif Agricole par actions, simplifiée à Capital Variable (SICASOV) in the enforcement of new plant variety rights.
- Assisting Andriani with the negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts, especially partnership agreements involving patented machinery used in gluten free pasta production lines.
- Successfully assisted Bifulco Luciano, which manages a gourmet restaurant specialised in meat dishes, with the protection of its trade mark.
Withers Studio Legale's corporate partner Roberta Crivellaro has a particular focus on the food and beverage sector. Her team is particularly renowned for assisting the wine industry, notably in domestic and cross-border transactions as well as IP matters. Luca Ferrari additionally assists wine producers with trade agreements, e-commerce and distribution.
Other key lawyers:
‘Professionalism and problem-solving ability.’
‘Roberta Crivellaro has enviable technical competence.’
‘Competence, professionalism and proven experience at national and international level’
Santa Margherita Gruppo Vinicolo
Masi Agricola S.p.A.
Ca’ Del Bosco
- Assisting Masi Agricola with numerous joint ventures and commercial contracts, including a new distribution contract with Eggers & Franke.
- Advising Italian wine producer Ca’ del Bosco on its trade agreements with two UK distributors.
- Advised Santa Margherita Gruppo Vinicolo, one of the leading producers of Italian wines, on the opening of its online store on T-mall, China’s main e-commerce platform.