In July 2021, BonelliErede spun out a new energy focus team, led by energy and project finance specialist Catia Tomasetti, from its former energy and infrastructure group. The practice combines M&A, financing, project contract and extraordinary transactions expertise with litigation support (both in Italy and abroad). Heading up the infrastructure team, Mario Roli specialises in corporate and M&A, as well as private equity and infrastructure funds, including utilities; Elena Busson‘s sector expertise includes gas storage facilities, and gas and electricity distribution networks; and Gabriele Malgeri is a project finance expert.
Industry focus: Energy in Italy
‘A team with robust skills and enriched by a strong business vision.‘
‘Several professionals are able to cover the various aspects of very complex processes, ranging from the supervision of public governance to financings and extraordinary transactions.‘
‘Catia Tomasetti demonstrates extraordinary experience, and is capable of interpreting both political and market dynamics.‘
‘Giorgio Frasca has shown great punctuality and competence, adapting his timescale to the rhythm of public administrations.‘
Terna – Rete Elettrica Nazionale
- Assisted Toto Group with a green bond issuance to finance the construction and operation of a wind energy project in Casalduni (province of Benevento).
- Assisted Enel X with structuring a contractual framework for energy efficiency and earthquake protection works on condos.
- Assisted AP Reti Gas with its selection as industrial partner by Aemme Linea Distribuzione and NED Reti Distribuzione Gas (active in the management of gas distribution services in 20 municipalities in the province of Milan) for the joint participation in future tenders for the award of the service in certain territorial areas of Milan 2 and Milan 3.
Gianni & Origoni‘s infrastructure, energy and natural resources practice fields experts in energy-related M&A, project finance, litigation, regulatory issues, and environmental and administrative law. Co-heading the practice are gas and electricity transactions specialist Francesco Puntillo and Ottaviano Sanseverino, an energy and infrastructure expert. Additional support is provided by administrative law specialist Giuseppe Velluto; Francesco Bruno, whose practice includes the construction, development, acquisition and sale of power plants; and public law expert Stefano Cunico. Guido Reggiani is an experienced counsel, while Arrigo Arrigoni was recently promoted to non-equity partner. Filippo Manaresi left the firm in early 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘GoP has always been a firm that offers unique energy sector expertise.‘
‘Its great strength lies in its very high and multidisciplinary competences.‘
‘A very cohesive team with complementary skills, and that has been working together for many years.‘
‘Ability to address the problems surrounding operations at 360-degree levels, covering in depth all issues within various sectors of law.‘
‘Ability to identify the best solution, always achieving the successful conclusion of operations; and great synergy between the team members, who are perfectly integrated with each other.‘
‘Francesco Puntillo is undoubtedly the professional who stands out from the entire firm for skills that I would define as unique. Francesco is prepared for any field – contractual, financial and administrative. On the occasions that I have worked with Francesco, I have always overcome any obstacle.‘
‘Francesco Puntillo’s great talent lies in always leading the client towards the best solutions, when faced with problems of varying magnitude.‘
‘Francesco Puntillo always focuses on the necessary (and sufficient) aspects of deals, protecting the legal (but also commercial) interests, and seeking balanced solutions that are in the interest of the client. He also has vast knowledge of the energy world, and its players and dynamics.‘
Macquarie Infrastructure & Real Assets (Europe)
Terra Firma Capital Partners
AXA Real Estate Investment Managers
Ardian – Infrastructure
Cubico Sustainable Investments Group
Amec Foster Wheeler
Cubico Sustainable Investments Group
Ital Gas Storage
Credit Suisse Energy & Infrastructure Partners
Whysol Renewables Holding 1
Interconnector Energy Italia
Green Investment Group
Green Arrow Capital
- Assisted Predica, a Crédit Agricole Assurances’ dedicated subsidiary for investments in infrastructure assets, with the acquisition of a 30% stake in the capital of EF Solare (a large solar power operator in Italy) from F2i.
- Assisted MIRA’s Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund 4 with the sale of its 69.4% interest in Società Gasdotti Italia (an independent gas transmission operator in Italy) to Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board.
- Assisted European Energy, a Danish renewables developer, with a €94.5m financing for a 130MW solar park project in Italy.
Legance – Avvocati Associati‘s practice is consistently active in energy-related financings, M&A and administrative law matters; and clients benefit from the group’s regular co-operation with the firm’s tax, dispute resolution, regulatory, antitrust, and banking and finance departments. Lead partner of the energy, project and infrastructure practice, Monica Colombera, is routinely involved in major energy transactions; Filippo Ruffato advises on energy and infrastructure-related project financing, project development and M&A; Giovanni Scirocco is a project finance expert; and Cristina Martorana is an administrative and environmental law specialist. Antonio Palazzolo recently made partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly competent professionals with a keen understanding of commercial issues.‘
‘Specific technical skills in the economic functioning of the Italian energy market.‘
‘Legance combines very high legal competences with the ability to understand business needs and support clients when setting up initiatives.‘
‘Legance is aligned with the quality standards of the best international firms that are active in Italy.‘
‘The team has good industry knowledge and is well connected in the market.‘
‘The team is very responsive and offers pragmatic advice where appropriate.‘
‘Monica Colombera and Cristina Martorana have great knowledge of this area and excellent interpersonal skills.‘
‘Giovanni Scirocco is very knowledgeable, calm and solutions oriented, and combines excellent knowledge of the legal system with pragmatic advice, taking ownership of the issues.‘
2i Rete Gas
Aura Power Developments
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Cubico Sustainable Investment
European Investment Bank
F2i Fondi Italiani per le Infrastrutture
Green Arrow Capital SGR
Intesa SanPaolo Group
Moncada Energy Group
Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Snam Rete Gas
Whysol Investment Group
- Assisted F2i with the sale to Predica Energies Durables of a 30% stake in the share capital of EF Solare Italia (an F2i subsidiary that specialises in the photovoltaic sector).
- Assisted a pool of lenders (Intesa Sanpaolo, Banco BPM, BayernLB, ING Bank Milan Branch and Unicredit) with a green loan financing in favour of Windrose Holding.
- Assisted photovoltaic operator, EF Solare Italia, with a €160m financing, provided by Crédit Agricole Cib, ING and Intesa Sanpaolo.
At the forefront of energy and renewable activity, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe‘s full-service practice advises on corporate, M&A and financing matters, as well as project developments, regulatory issues and litigation. It was recently active in relation to solar and photovoltaic, wind, gas, hydroelectric, biomass and electricity. Transactions specialist Carlo Montella heads the Italian energy team, which also showcases Italy public law leader Francesca Isgrò and recently promoted partner Andrea Gentili, who focuses predominantly on renewable energy. Also key to the group are of counsels Maria Teresa Solaro and Celeste Mellone.
Other key lawyers:
‘Orrick impressed me with its in-depth knowledge of the sector and the subject, and it excels in all areas of the industry. Compared to other law firms, Orrick offers effective and innovative solutions and has consolidated its position on the market, especially during the pandemic when it managed to maintain a direct and constant relationship with clients, fully adapting to our needs – this represents, in short, the team’s best quality.‘
‘A team with tremendous experience in the industry, and always accurate and on time with deadlines.‘
‘A solutions-oriented firm with which we work very well, as it combines high levels of specialisation in the sector with a great ability to understand clients’ commercial needs – it works to find solutions.‘
‘Carlo Montella always shows great flexibility, maximum availability and attention to clients’ needs.‘
‘Carlo Montella has great interpersonal skills – one of the best lawyers in the energy sector, and with a solid market reputation.‘
‘Francesca Isgrò – competence and experience, as well as extraordinary availability.‘
‘Andrea Gentili has an excellent understanding of this area, and at the level of interpersonal relationships Andrea is probably one of the best lawyers I have worked with.‘
‘Of counsel Maria Teresa Solaro is appreciated, both for her personal and specific finance skills – truly remarkable.‘
MEAG Munich Ergo
Green Arrow Capital
PGGM Infrastructure Fund
Natixis Milan Branch
- Acted for Enel Finance International on the placement on the US and international markets of a multi-tranche sustainability-linked bond, which was (reportedly) the largest sustainability-linked transaction ever executed in the fixed-income capital markets.
- Advising Glennmont Partners on obtaining an unprecedented ruling before the Administrative Tribunal for Lazio to compel the Presidency of the Council of Ministers to comment on whether an energy project could proceed, or if it should be halted due to concerns over cultural impact.
- Assisted clean energy fund manager Glennmont Partners and PGGM Infrastructure Fund with the sale of a large operating onshore wind project platform in Italy to Eni.
Consistently instructed on innovative energy deals, Ashurst‘s Italy practice houses specialists in renewables financing and M&A, capacity markets, subsidy-free renewables and developments. It also fields experts in oil and gas, water and waste, district heating, energy efficiency and energy digitalisation. Carloandrea Meacci acts on energy and infrastructure project financings; Umberto Antonelli is a project finance specialist; and Elena Giuffrè is experienced in renewables and conventional energy. The second line of advisers includes counsel Anna Pinzuti, who focuses on regulated markets; and experienced senior associates Nicola Toscano and Federica Periale.
‘Excellent availability of the team, promptness in providing documents, and good propensity for problem solving.‘
- Advised Basalt Infrastructure Partners on the €170m refinancing of a solar portfolio in Italy.
- Advised a pool of lenders (including BP) on an approximately €50m refinancing of a wind farm (owned by 4New Monte Grighine).
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo, Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank (Milan Branch) ING Bank (Milan Branch) and SACE on the granting of a financing to EF Solare.
Chiomenti‘s practice advises energy sector clients on various areas, including oil and gas, renewable energy sources, biomass, bio-fuel, energy efficiency and regasification; and the team has notable expertise in energy M&A and financing work. The firm recently created an ESG task force, headed by energy business unit leader Carola Antonini, in response to the increasing role of sustainable finance. Also integral to the group are Giulia Battaglia, whose complex transactions practice includes an energy sector focus; and administrative law department head Filippo Brunetti. Manuela Cerulli is an experienced counsel.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team demonstrates deep technical knowledge of the energy industry.‘
‘Supports the client in its risk assessments, and the search for effective and efficient solutions.‘
‘Beyond the well-known legal expertise, they are particularly appreciated for the professionalism shown on every occasion and the ability to accommodate challenging timings.‘
Reden Solar Sas
Enel Green Power Italia
FIRE (Federazione Italiana per l’uso Razionale dell’Energia)
Banca Europea per gli Investimenti
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
FRI-EL Green Power
Unione di Banche Italiane
F2i – Fondi Italiani Per Le Infrastrutture
Alerion Clean Power
Oxem – Oxon Energia Mezzana
Secundum Naturam Capital
- Advising Ardian on a non-binding term sheet for a partnership in power generation and supply, through the establishment of a company controlled by A2A.
- Advising F2i (in partnership with Asterion) on the acquisition from Nuova Sorgenia Holding and MPS of 99.99% of the share capital of Sorgenia, through a joint venture company that aims to combine the renewable assets of the biomass and wind companies owned by F2i with Sorgenia’s gas-fired capacity.
- Advising Eni on an agreement to acquire a portfolio of 13 onshore wind farms in Italy.
Consistently acting on landmark energy transactions, Clifford Chance‘s Italy practice has longstanding experience in advising renewable energy, thermoelectric, hydroelectric and hydrogen players. The group also assists oil and gas multinationals with upstream and downstream oil and gas operations; and acts for power companies on greenfield power plants and renewable sources. With over 20 years’ experience in the Italian energy and infrastructure scene, practice leader Umberto Penco Salvi advises energy businesses on the development of their strategies for the Italian market; and Charles Adams and Giuseppe De Palma are finance specialists.
‘Great skills and ability to deal with complex operations.‘
Cubico Sustainable Investments
E2i Energie Speciali
- Advised Edison on the sale to Energean of Edison Exploration and Production and its investments in the hydrocarbon exploration and production sector.
- Advised Cubico Sustainable Investments on the acquisition of Grupo T-Solar from I Squared Capital.
- Advised Eni on the signing of an agreement with Azora Capital for the acquisition of a portfolio of nine renewable energy projects in Spain.
DLA Piper‘s energy practice covers M&A, finance, regulatory, litigation, tax and criminal law; and the team is widely appreciated for its cross-border deal expertise, in addition to its local market knowledge. Energy team head Giulio Maroncelli specialises in M&A transactions in the oil and gas and renewable energy sources markets; Germana Cassar acts on administrative law matters; senior independent counsel Francesco Novelli has a long track record in energy and infrastructure project finance; and Giovanni Ragnoni Bosco Lucarelli and Federico Zucconi Galli Fonseca are key finance and projects partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘The DLA Piper energy, administrative and environmental litigation team is one of the main players in this market.‘
‘The team is made up of very competent, helpful and dedicated professionals.‘
‘Compared to other firms, the working environment is serene and it is perceived that they work in perfect sync; and they are always informed and prepared to provide timely answers.‘
‘The service is excellent and the professionals always try to achieve the goals that the client has set itself, including by providing innovative solutions.‘
‘The members of the DLA team are always very helpful, and are able to understand business issues through a very flexible and commercial approach, managing to identify concrete and viable solutions.‘
‘Giulio Maroncelli and senior independent counsel Francesco Novelli are very qualified, and know how to identify problems and solve them.‘
‘Even in the most critical situations, ‘Germana Cassar always maintains a fighting approach and never takes anything for granted.‘
‘The assistance provided by Germana Cassar is always excellent and aims for success for the client’s business.‘
Asja Ambiente Italia S.p.A
ICCREA Banca Impresa S.p.A.
IrisImpianti Energia Rinnovabile Siracusa S.r.l.
Fabbrica Energie Rinnovabili Alternative S.r.l.
Pro. Vice S.r.l.
- Assisted Susi Partners with the first corporate acquisition in the energy efficiency sector in Italy.
- Assisted CogenInfra with the purchase of 100% of Elettra Investimenti S.p.A., a company listed in the Italian AIM market, from B Fin S.p.A.
With ‘great expertise in all aspects of the energy sector‘, Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams routinely assists clients from the power, renewable energy and energy infrastructure sectors. The team also advises oil and gas industry clients on energy transition work. ‘Superb lawyer‘ Eugenio Tranchino is a renewable and conventional energy specialist; and Francesco Piron, who recently joined from Macchi di Cellere Gangemi (alongside administrative law specialist and counsel Giannalberto Mazzei), concentrates on the domestic and EU regulatory framework of the electricity, natural gas, and water and waste markets.
‘Great expertise in all aspects of the energy sector.‘
‘Unlike other law firms, the WFW team stands out for its entrepreneurial approach, which is 100% focused on the client’s business needs and not just the purely legal aspects.‘
‘WFW delivers excellence in the Italian energy space. They deliver full-scope perspectives and exceptional understanding of the industry.‘
‘They provide technically excellent advice across all energy-related services and they represent value for money- a true partnership, like an extension of an in-house legal department.‘
‘Their business acumen and strategic thinking represent an undisputed value-add for us. WFW is well-known in the market for providing excellent advice on transformative and ground-breaking projects, leading on successful and innovative market-first transactions in Italy and abroad.‘
‘Eugenio Tranchino is a superb lawyer, very knowledgeable of the energy industry, and internationally renowned for his sector experience. I appreciate his innovative thinking and great problem-solving ability, as well as his professional and proactive approach. I would highly recommend him for his exceptional work in handling energy transactions.‘
‘Eugenio Tranchino combines a good commercial understanding of the market with mature counsel and well-articulated advice, and he is proactive in moving matters forward.‘
‘Francesco Piron stands out on every occasion, both for preparation and for courtesy.‘
Sonnedix España Management
Società Gasdotti Italia
LCF Management Italia
Made in Energy
Blue Elephant Energy
Predica Energies Durables
Smart Energies Transition
- Advising Blue Elephant Energy on its joint development agreement with Green Future for a 119MW Italian solar portfolio.
- Advising Società Gasdotti Italia on the realisation of the HyBRIDS Project, which intends to introduce green hydrogen into the gas network through the use of innovative technologies.
- Advising Sonnedix, a global solar independent power producer, on the acquisition of a 22.3MW Italian photovoltaic portfolio owned by the Solarig Group.
Norton Rose Fulbright‘s Milan practice covers both oil and gas (including LNG and gas storage) and power, and is particularly noted for its expertise in the renewables sector (solar, wind, biomass/biogas, hydro and waste-to-energy). Banking and projects specialist Arturo Sferruzza heads up the energy team, which includes energy project financing expert Gennaro Mazzuoccolo; and recently promoted partner Luigi Costa, who regularly assists with energy-related finance, construction and M&A issues.
‘Excellent availability of its people.‘
‘Competence and friendliness.‘
‘With NRF you have the certainty of being followed by people who really know the energy sector, and who do not need to ask the meaning of technical words – this does not happen with other law firms.‘
‘Strong knowledge of the subject and excellent sensitivity to market trends.‘
‘The team is able to manage relationships with other law firms authoritatively, even during negotiations which is an added value.‘
‘Great capacity and availability.‘
‘Luigi Costa and counsel Ginevra Biadico are professionals who have grown up in the energy sector – they immediately understand what needs to be done and how to act.‘
Crédit Agricole CIB
HUK 5 Italy PV 1 (Helios Energy)
Total Gas & Power
- Advising Enel Green Power on a joint venture partnership with the sovereign wealth fund of the State of Qatar (Qatar Investment Authority), to finance, build and operate renewable projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advised Crédit Agricole CIB, Intesa Sanpaolo, Société Générale and UBI Banca on a €160m financing to Sonnedix to refinance a portfolio of 21 solar plants in Italy.
- Advised Total on the sale, import and storage activities of natural gas in Italy (including the implications arising from Brexit).
Osborne Clarke‘s Italy practice routinely handles large and innovative renewables projects across Italy, including the acquisition and development of photovoltaic energy, geothermal, biogas and energy-from-waste plants. It also has niche water sector expertise. Practice head Riccardo Roversi has broad alternative energy sector experience; Giorgio Lezzi is a public law expert; and Giovanni Penzo is a water utilities sector specialist. Senior associate Carlo Gioffrè is the firm’s Italy decarbonisation head.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great for its solid solutions and the ability to understand the needs of clients’ business.‘
‘Maintains the right balance during discussions.‘
‘Extreme professional competence and maximum availability, as well as very competitive rates and tariff flexibility.‘
‘Great competence and knowledge of the energy sector, including the regulatory rules.‘
‘The firm has built up impressive experience, and has a multidisciplinary approach that is appreciated by judicial authorities.‘
‘Flexibility, fairness, and dedication to the client and its problems.‘
‘Giorgio Lezzi is very helpful and knowledgeable, as well as versatile.‘
‘Giovanni Penzo is very open to discussion and very competent.‘
Sicor Società Italiana Corticosteroidi
DIF Consulting Deutschland GmbH and Ampere Equity Fund
A2A Illuminazione Pubblica
ACSM-AGAM Reti Gas Acqua
Infrastrutture Recupero Energia Agenzia Regionale Ligure
Linea Group Holding
Municipality of Rozzano
- Assisted Engie EPS Italia (a leader in the e-mobility and energy storage sector) with a joint venture with FCA Italy.
- Advised Netherlands-based Ampere Project Holding 5 on the sale of a 10MW PV portfolio in Puglia to Ortigia Power 51.
- Acting for Costim on the Chorus Life Bergamo project, an innovative multi-functional smart district involving state-of-the-art digital technologies and fully powered by renewable energy sources.
Pavia e Ansaldo‘s scope of practice covers corporate transactions, energy disputes, construction matters, and administrative and environmental conflicts, along with grid parity and Sustainable Energy Utility schemes. Leading the practice are energy projects specialist Carlo Del Conte and Claudio Cera, who advises energy players. Marco Jannon is a tax adviser to the renewable energy sector, while energy-focused partner Carlo Emanuele Rossi was recently hired from Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato.
‘Pavia e Ansaldo represents a guarantee from all points of view.‘
‘The team is at the highest professional level; it is able to enter into the merits of any question of a juridical-legal and economic nature and propose effective solutions.‘
‘Its strong point remains a focus on clients.‘
‘Knowledge and passion for the energy sector, not only in relation to legal and regulatory issues, but also technological and market matters – in my opinion this allows the team to go further in their support of clients.‘
‘Ability to provide professional support to the development of the client’s business by finding tailored solutions.‘
‘Carlo Del Conte is a very high-level professional with a great deal of experience in commercial aspects, and a deep knowledge of all contractual issues.‘
‘Claudio Cera is always available to provide help, despite being constantly engaged on multiple fronts. His affability, combined with professional competence, make him a perfect partner for the realisation of complex projects where the human side is just as important as purely commercial/ legal ones.‘
Solar Access Sustainable Energy
- Advising METKA, a global EPC contractor, on the development of several photovoltaic plants in Sardinia and Apulia.
- Advised multinational oil and gas services player, Allied International, on its acquisition of Mandelli Sistemi.
- Assisted Vei Greenfield 2 with its acquisition from developer Energeticamente of Civitaveccchia Energia.
Bird & Bird‘s cross-practice group assists with the M&A and project finance aspects of renewables and PPAs; energy efficiency and demand management; transmission networks and gas distribution; energy storage; and smart energy. Pierpaolo Mastromarini is an energy and utilities specialist, while Simone Cadeddu assists with EU and Italian administrative regulations.
‘A complete, multidisciplinary team that is able to support us in due diligence, M&A and financing operations.‘
‘Maximum availability and speedy answers.‘
‘A group of interdisciplinary professionals who are capable of responding effectively to any question in a very short time.‘
‘Great availability at all times and the ability to understand and solve problems.‘
‘Pierpaolo Mastromarini is great for 360° competence and assistance.‘
‘Pierpaolo Mastromarini has overall charge of the mandates, and excellent management and co-ordination of the whole team.‘
‘Simone Cadeddu has great preparation in administrative law, and flexibility when finding and proposing solutions.‘
‘Simone Cadeddu is an excellent energy sector lawyer – he fully understands non-Italian needs and questions that project applicants have, and can communicate complex legal/procedural matters to non-legal people.‘
Crédit Agricole Group
Cubico Sustainable Investments
Energy Total Capital
Foresight S.C.A. SICAV – SIF
MPS Capital Services Banca per le Imprese
Municipality of Milan
Solaris Renewables 2
Talesun Energy Group
VEI Green 2
- Advised Foresight SCA SICAV-SIF and a European institutional investor on the issuance of a green bond for the financing of a greenfield wind farm in Italy.
- Advised Ares on a large project financing, with access to the incentives under the 2019 RES Decree.
- Advising Terna on the management of a tender procedure launched by Terna itself.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP's practice has strong energy sector credentials. The multidisciplinary group comprises EU and Italian competition law expert Mario Siragusa; Marco D’Ostuni who represents energy players in proceedings before the Italian Competition Authority; litigation and arbitration specialist Ferdinando Emanuele; and M&A and restructuring expert Roberto Bonsignore.
Other key lawyers:
‘An incredible ability to provide very high levels of support.‘
‘An ability to empathise with commercial issues that is outside the norm.‘
‘Its strengths include deep technical knowledge of the sector, including antitrust and public law aspects.‘
‘The level of quality is excellent and guaranteed at every level, from partner to associate.‘
‘Thanks to the firm’s links with the business and financial world, its professionals have an excellent understanding of business profiles, and the free training initiatives that the firm provides to clients are always interesting and valuable.‘
‘Responsiveness, availability and excellent technical knowledge of the subject, with the ability to anticipate critical issues and resolve them.‘
‘Matteo Beretta has a particular legal sensitivity and ability to read uncommon legal and business problems.‘
‘Matteo Beretta is great for his pure energy and rare leadership skills.‘
Servizio Elettrico Nazionale
Terminale Adriatico LNG
- Assisted A2A with the signing of its €3bn partnership with Ardian for the generation and supply of energy in Italy.
- Assisted Eni with the competition law aspects of its acquisition of a 20% stake in two joint ventures that are dedicated to the construction and operational management of the first two phases of the Dogger Bank project in Great Britain, which will (reportedly) be the world’s largest offshore wind farm.
- Advised Falck Renewables on a €200m offering of Italian green bonds.
Enjoying strong relationships with oil and gas sector players, Dentons‘ Italian practice also has a longstanding focus on renewable energy, energy efficiency, storage and e-mobility. Team head Carsten Steinhauer advises on renewable energy production and transmission facilities; and managing counsel Mileto Mario Giuliani focuses on transactional matters involving regulated industries.
Other key lawyers:
‘The strength of the team consists in providing advice comparable to that of a boutique firm, despite the fact that it is a large international practice.‘
‘Attention to detail and customised solutions distinguish Dentons’ offering from other firms of the same calibre.‘
‘Extreme knowledge of the renewable energy sector in Italy.‘
‘Ability and rapid reactions to any type of regulatory or contractual problem.‘
‘Dentons is made up of very professional, helpful and friendly members.‘
‘Dentons’ strength is its experience, and therefore its ability to provide comprehensive advice. The helpfulness and friendliness of the staff are also of added value.‘
‘Carsten Steinhauer is a highly trained professional, who is accessible and always available, with an excellent understanding of business needs.‘
‘Managing counsel Mileto Mario Giuliani is prepared, available and of great support during all phases of transactions – an excellent professional and particularly competent in this field.‘
IKAV General Partner
CCE – Clean Capital Energy
Alleans Capital Investment
Pacifico Energy Partners
CIC Energy Services
- Assisted IKAV with its investment in the construction of nine gas power plants, developed by Metaenergia for the Italian peak capacity market.
- Assisted Statkraft with its acquisition of Solarcentury, a global solar power company.
- Assisted Engie Italia with its investment in two green solar energy parks in Sicily.
Grimaldi Studio Legale provides transactional and regulatory advice on a broad spectrum of energy issues. Working across Brussels, Rome and Milan, managing partner Francesco Sciaudone is experienced in energy sector-related project finance, acquisitions and litigation; and Giovanni Bocciardo in Milan and Rome-based Daniela Fioretti provide additional support at partner level.
Other key lawyers:
Cassa Depositi e Presiti
- Assisted CDP Equity with the acquisition of 30% of the share capital of Snam4Efficiency (later re-branded as Renovit), one of Italy’s main operators in relation to the development of energy efficiency.
- Assisted Eos Investment with the sale of a portfolio of photovoltaic plants in Italy.
- Acting for Enel in several cases before the courts involving street lighting services.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
Hogan Lovells International LLP‘s Italy practice routinely advises on oil and gas, renewables and energy efficiency. Leah Dunlop leads the firm’s corporate, finance and energy teams in Italy, and Luca Picone‘s clients include major industrial corporations, private equity funds and financial institutions that operate in the energy sector.
‘Their support in this area has always been very effective and produced the expected results.‘
‘The HL firm is characterised by a team approach that is not common to other firms.‘
‘High level of skills and professionalism that exist in all areas of the firm, allowing a functional and synergistic approach to all issues.‘
‘The project management support during extraordinary operations is excellent.’
‘The lawyers I have worked with are all very attentive to the needs of the client, and very knowledgeable and helpful.‘
‘Leah Dunlop is very experienced in the areas she oversees, and predisposed to teamwork in an organised and structured way.‘
‘Leah Dunlop offers very high levels of competence and expertise.‘
‘Competence, precision, constant availability and profound knowledge of the client’s business philosophy. The qualities described above are a reflection of the professionalism of colleagues such as Francesca Angeloni and counsel Gaia Gelera.‘
Alleans Renewables Capital
Hergo Biomethane Italia
Phlogas (In liquidation)
Shah Deniz Consortium
Sunerg Solar Energy
Trusendi Libero Costruzioni
- Assisted Enel with the acquisition by Enel Produzione of the entire share capital of ERG Hydro, which owns a portfolio of hydro plants.
- Advising the Shah Deniz consortium on the completion of the $40bn Shah Deniz 2 Southern Gas Corridor, and on the commencement of commercial gas pipeline deliveries to Europe from Azerbaijan.
- Advising an international petroleum group on all aspects of the structuring and implementation of the reorganisation of its entire Italian business activities.
K&L Gates‘ Italy team houses experts in conventional energy sector work, including notable gas, LNG and power industry expertise. Paolo Zamberletti has longstanding energy sector experience, including both transactional contentious work; and recently promoted partner Andrea Campana litigates energy and construction matters for renewable, oil and gas and nuclear clients.
‘Customised legal solutions with great availability and timing.‘
‘I appreciated their competence and ability to think outside of the box, always bringing new points of view to the discussion.‘
‘They bring passion and dedication to the client’s cause.‘
‘The ability to offer innovative solutions in complex and new contexts.‘
‘The courage always to propose the most valid and stable solution for the medium/long term, even if it is not the simplest and most accommodating in the short term.‘
‘Paolo Zamberletti is appreciated for his competence and ability to provide original ideas (even when they are uncomfortable for the clients) that always look to achieving the best possible solution.‘
‘Paolo Zamberletti is a true team player, who combines his skills with the ability to team up, and with an approach that is never arrogant but always collaborative – it was a real pleasure from a human point of view to work with him, not something that I can always say about other professionals from other law firms!‘
‘Great availability and competence from Andrea Campana and his team.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Vestina Gas & Luce
- Assisted Gasway with a sanctioning proceeding brought by AGCM for the breach of the Consumer Code.
- Advised CAP Holding on the change of the corporate purpose of Cap Holding.
- Assisted Levigas with administrative sanction proceedings involving alleged energy billing irregularities.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi‘s practice is particularly experienced in renewable energy-related M&A. Assisting both sponsors and banks, energy and oil and gas law specialist Claudio Visco advises on acquisitions, project financing, and asset-backed and structured finance. Former partner Francesco Piron recently joined Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams.
‘Client focus, flexibility and understanding of business.‘
‘Maximum availability and high-level human qualities.‘
Renfin Hydro Italia 2
- Advised GR Value on a joint venture agreement with Fontavis Forte Fund for the development of approximately 300MW of plants in the renewable energy sector.
- Assisted Nelsa with litigation proceedings before the Regional Administrative Court.
- Advised Renfin Hydro Italia 2 on an acquisition in the energy sector.
Pedersoli Studio Legale
Pedersoli Studio Legale‘s energy and utilities department advises operators from the power, natural gas, oil, petrochemical and power markets, along with investment banks and financial institutions. Sergio Fienga is experienced in energy, public procurement, concessions, town planning regulations and administrative procedures; and Luca Saraceni has broad energy sector expertise.
‘Its critical success factors are availability, prompt responses and professionalism.‘
‘High-quality professionals with competence in this sector – strong support when making decisions.‘
‘Great response levels, personal relationships and 24-hour availability.‘
‘The team is very attentive to clients – a young team with excellent experience.‘
‘Assistance with great attention and dedication to the client.‘
‘Luca Saraceni and his team have shown great experience in managing our deals, taking great care of our company’s objectives in relation to our group’s business in the energy efficiency sector.‘
‘Sergio Fienga is prepared and available.‘
‘Senior associate Giovanni Battista De Luca is competent in giving proactive answers to complex problems, and he is always available.‘
AEER – Arpinge
EF Solare Italia
AREN Electric Power
Fortore Energia Holding
Energia Wind 2020
Gestore dei Servizi Energetici – GSE
ICCREA Banca Impresa
Talesun Energy Solutions
Iniziative Bresciane – INBRE
Tages Capital SGR
Suncore Energy Honk Kong
- Assisted Snam, through its wholly-owned subsidiary Snam4Efficiency, with an agreement with Gemma and Fen Energia for the cash-based acquisition of 70% of Mieci and Evolve, which operate in the energy efficiency sector in Italy.
- Assisted AEER – Arpinge with the acquisition of a photovoltaic plant (La Base) in Pollenza.
- Assisting Gestore dei Servizi Energetici with approximately 300 disputes, which are pending before the Administrative Courts in relation to public incentives for energy plants.
ADVANT Nctm‘s corporate law and M&A specialist Federico Manili focuses on renewable energy matters. Manili is experienced in due diligence and commercial and corporate contracts, and the development, construction, financing and sale of wind and solar projects. Additional partner support is provided by Eugenio Siragusa and Raffaele Caldarone.
AEB (Ambiente Energia Brianza)
- Advised Snam on the administrative aspects of the establishment of Arbolia, a startup that aims to create green spaces in Italian cities and territories.
- Assisted AEB (Ambiente Energia Brianza) with a partnership agreement with A2A, which specialises in gas, electricity and heat distribution.
- Assisted Provincia di Bolzano with evaluating the enhancement of 27 public properties, identifying the tools to be adopted (including public-private partnership procedures) on behalf of the European Energy Efficiency Fund.
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario‘s energy, infrastructure and project finance department comprises specialists in tax, banking and finance, and corporate, regulatory, administrative and competition law. Paolo Esposito is an energy M&A expert, Fabrizio Magrì is administrative and public law head, and Francesco Dialti heads the banking and finance team.
‘The firm provides excellent advice by combining flexibility, competence and rapid responses.‘
‘Extreme competence and in-depth knowledge of the issues that are brought to their attention.‘
‘Always available and ready to provide collaboration.‘
‘The team works quickly and in perfect harmony with the client.‘
‘It stands out for its high level of competence and the concrete ability to offer legally and commercially viable solutions that are necessary for the success of operations.‘
‘The availability and unconditional commitment of the team are much appreciated.‘
‘Paolo Esposito, who is assisted by ready and capable collaborators, also personally intervenes during the most delicate issues, offering solutions to highly critical matters.‘
‘Francesco Dialti’s advice on financial aspects is reassuring, demonstrating great competence and availability. He has proved to be a reliable and helpful interlocutor.‘
Iccrea Banca and a pool of cooperative banks
- Advised KI-KELAG International on the acquisition of a majority share in a company that owns and operates a hydroelectric power plant in northern Italy.
- Advising Iccrea Banca (and a pool of co-operative banks) on a financing for Eco-Ricicli Veritas, which is active in the recycling sector.
- Advising Banco BPM on the financing of the LBO of Italian company SSolar.
CMS‘ Italy energy group has extensive experience in both upstream and downstream oil and gas markets. It also fields experts in electricity, renewables, and has niche experience in minerals. Heading the energy department, Pietro Cavasola routinely assists companies with the structuring and management of major energy production projects in Italy.
Other key lawyers:
TotalErg (now known as Italiana Petroli)
Solaria Energia y Medio Ambiente
Global Solar Fund
Raffineria di Roma
SPI Renewable Energy
Gitti and Partners acts for utilities, energy service and energy intensive companies, private equity players, infrastructure funds and banks. Practice head Piero Viganò is experienced in advising on energy-focused projects, M&A and corporate matters, along with the regulatory aspects of energy-related incentive schemes; and Gregorio Gitti has utilities sector expertise.
‘A team that is always prepared for the topics it is instructed on.‘
‘Highly qualified professionals with fast times, and the answers are always very accurate and considered.‘
‘Excellent competence and experience in the energy sector, combined with the ability to understand clients’ needs.‘
‘Very direct approach to searching for the most efficient solutions.‘
‘Availability, professionalism, flexibility, and ability to simplify even very complex issues.‘
‘The team is incredibly professional and helpful. They always find solutions and the cost is reasonable when compared to the service rendered. I would recommend them to clients of any size.‘
‘They know very well the dynamics of the commercial sectors in which they operate, and always know how to identify a compromise position based on this knowledge.‘
‘A special mention for Piero Viganò! We are very satisfied with our collaboration with Piero, his team and the members of the firm.‘