BonelliErede's multidisciplinary energy sector team in Milan is one of the most active in the Italian market and it also acts for clients at international level. Mario Roli heads up the team, which is experienced in corporate and project finance transactions in the traditional, renewable and alternative energy arenas. It also has expertise in issuances of project bonds. Elsewhere, the group assists clients with a wide range of competition, administrative and EU law issues. In addition, contentious matters are another core part of the firm's workload. Catia Tomasetti and Gabriele Malgeri are other notable individuals in the team.
Industry focus: Energy in Italy
Other key lawyers:
Catia Tomasetti; Gabriele Malgeri
‘Well structured and very responsive team that can provide top-notch assistance in a wide range of practice areas. This makes their advice complete and comprehensive, with each work team collaborating seamlessly to offer multidisciplinary, all-encompassing and excellent support’
‘Gabriele Malgeri is very attentive to details, extremely concrete and has the ability to quickly analyse complex problems, finding rapid and innovative solutions in a short time. Catia Tomasetti is a professional of the highest level.’
‘Unique team for its skills, professional rigour and problem-solving ability. It knows how to face and resolve critical issues.’
‘Catia Tomasetti has in-depth knowledge of both energy-related and financial issues.’
EF Solare Italia S.p.A.
First State Investments (FSI)
IFM Investors (UK) LTD
Sonnedix Italia Servizi S.r.l
Tages Capital SGR S.p.A.
Terna – Rete Elettrica Nazionale S.p.A.
- Advised Ascopiave on an agreement with the Hera Group to contribute its retail gas and electricity clients in a joint venture in return for a series of gas distribution assets in the North-East Italy.
- Advised Terna on the structuring, financing and realisation of the interconnector between Italy and Montenegro.
- Advised a pool of lenders on the project refinancing of a portfolio composed by 46 photovoltaic plants for a global power capacity of about 120 MW, owned by EF Solare Italia.
Gianni & Origoni has an outstanding reputation in energy and infrastructure projects. Its multidisciplinary team demonstrates particularly strong capabilities in the area of energy efficiency, where it advises companies on matters such as e-mobility and industrial plants, and it also assists public sector clients with issues concerning street lighting and building retrofitting. Francesco Puntillo is praised for his 'valid and effective all-round assistance' with corporate, finance and regulatory matters. He co-heads the practice with Ottaviano Sanseverino, who mainly assists banks and investors with a myriad of issues relating to renewable energy and gas. Associate Filippo Manaresi is an expert in project finance transactions and commodity trading.
Francesco Puntillo; Ottaviano Sanseverino
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent skills in multiple fields, like commercial, legal, technical, administrative, etc. Great flexibility, widespread competence.’
‘Great flexibility and availability in following the client in every matter, even on issues of apparent secondary importance. Great attention to the client’
‘Francesco Puntillo and his team stand out for their strong and in-depth knowledge of the market and the peculiar profiles and technicalities of the sector. Always able to provide valid and effective all-round assistance, in particular for corporate, financing and regulatory aspects, at every stage of the operation.’
‘Francesco Puntillo has deep knowledge of the market, mastery of the technical-legal instruments and absolute availability and flexibility in meeting clients’ needs.’
‘Very high level of competence with sectoral focus and up-to-date knowledge on the latest regulatory aspects. Effectiveness in quickly analysing highly complex issues and synergy within the team between professionals with a more commercial inclination and professionals with a more technical inclination.’
‘Great experience in the energy sector, knowledge of the players and key constituencies of the sector’
‘Francesco Puntillo has the ability to focus on the really relevant elements of the transaction, protecting the client from a legal point of view but not burdening the contracts unnecessarily.’
‘The firm knows how to make a difference in operations within the energy sector. It has a leading role in the most important M&A operations that have changed the structure of the market over the years. High-profile team, able to manage every aspect of transactions at the highest level, providing a decisive contribution also in the commercial aspects of the negotiation, in addition to maximum reliability for due diligence activities.’
Macquarie Infrastructure & Real Assets (Europe) Limited
Terra Firma Capital Partners Limited
AXA Real Estate Investment Managers
Ardian – Infrastructure
Cubico Sustainable Investments Group
Wood/Amec Foster Wheeler
Nord/LB Norddeutsche Landesbank
Cubico Sustainable Investments Group
Ital Gas Storage S.r.l.
Esso Italiana S.r.l.
Credit Suisse Energy & Infrastructure Partners
Whysol Renewables Holding 1 S.P.A.
NextEnergy Capital (NextPower)
European Energy SA
- Assisting Dolphinus with the completion of two purchase agreements, one sale agreement and one transportation agreement related to the acquisition of natural gas extracted from the Leviathan and Tamar Fields and its sale to East Gas Company. Value: $20bn.
- Advising the lender on the project financing for the 600MW electricity interconnection sub-sea cable between Italy and Montenegro. Value: €230m.
- Assisting ENGIE with the acquisition of Renvico Holding from Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund 4 (MEIF4), managed by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets, and from KKR.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe has established itself as one of the leading names in the Italian energy market. Noted for its wide coverage across the entire spectrum of clean energy sources, the team provides extensive support to energy companies, private equity funds, financial institutions and project developers. It has a primary focus on projects involving biomethane, the circular economy and photovoltaic energy. In the photovoltaic energy space, in particular, the department has acted on cutting-edge mandates, such as the first-ever financing of a photovoltaic plant not supported by state subsidies in Italy. The firm also acted on the first subsidy-free solar power plants acquisition. Both projects were led by practice head Carlo Montella. Andrea Gentili plays a key role in M&A, private equity and finance transactions in both the energy and infrastructure industries. Associate Marcello Montresor is a name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Andrea Gentili; Francesca Isgrò; Marcello Montresor; Celeste Mellone
‘Delivery capacity and assistance and support at every stage of the deal’
‘Great ability to make themselves available as well as a deep knowledge of the sector. Special mention to the lawyer Celeste Mellone’
‘Vast network, transversal skills and international standing.’
‘High level assistance, availability and ability to provide integrated advice.’
Bluefield Partners LLP
KGAL – KG Allgemeine Leasing GmbH & Co.
PGGM Infrastructure Fund
iCON Infrastructure LLP
Natixis S.A. – Milan Branch
Banco BPM S.p.A.
UBI Banca S.p.A.
Hat Orizzonte S.G.R. p. A.
- Assisted Sonnedix with the first ever acquisition (per size) of subsidy-free solar power plants active in Sicily, with a total capacity of 17.7 MWp, from the joint venture set up by Canadian Solar UK Projects LTD and Manni Energy S.r.l. (a Manni Group company).
- Assisted KGAL with the drafting and negotiation of the second ever long term PPA in the market, executed with DXT, in relation to “market parity” photovoltaic projects.
- Acted for Natixis on the first ever financing of a photovoltaic plant not supported by state subsidies in Italy that, once constructed, will be the biggest solar plant in Italy.
Ashurst's energy, resources and infrastructure department is heavily involved in the financing and development of energy projects, and it also demonstrates strong M&A capabilities. It covers all the key segments of the market, including onshore oil and gas, water and district heating. Carloandrea Meacci leads the 'high-level' multidisciplinary team, which is noted for its experience of work with a cross-border dimension. Elena Giuffrè is an expert in renewables and conventional energy, as well as infrastructure and public utilities. Associate Nicola Toscano focuses on complex and innovative finance and refinancing transactions for domestic and foreign lenders and borrowers.
Other key lawyers:
Umberto Antonelli; Elena Giuffrè
‘Great preparation of the team. Carloandrea Meacci boasts significant experience in M&A and financing in the energy sector.’
‘An international firm, which is capable of managing and structuring complex transactions with foreign players. Ashurst also boasts a very large and diversified network of professionals that allow the firm to have a very broad know-how and well-established best practices. ’
‘Carloandrea Meacci. With a very important experience behind him, and a measured character, he is a professional capable of rationalizing the points of disagreement between the parties and finding balanced solutions that satisfy both sides of the negotiation table. ’
‘A high-level multidisciplinary team on all fronts’.
‘Carloandrea Meacci and Elena Giuffrè are both always well-informed and competent in both legal and commercial aspects’.
Basalt Infrastructure Partners
City Green Light
Banca IMI, part of the Intesa Sanpaolo Group
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Delos Power and Tages Helios
UBS Asset Management (UK) Ltd
Crédit Agricole CIB Milan Branch
BNP Paribas Italian Branch
CIB and Crédit Agricole Italia S.p.A.
- Advised Basalt Infrastructure Partners II GP Limited on the €170m refinancing of a solar portfolio in Italy, which includes 73 plants located across different Italian regions and 48 companies, with an installed capacity of approximately 70 MW.
- Advised Delos Power and its shareholder Tages Helios, the fund managed by Tages Capital SGR, and Ortigia Power 51 on the structuring, arranging and negotiation of the financing for the acquisition and refinancing of existing debt of a portfolio of solar plants and wind farms. The €425 million project financing is the first portfolio non-recourse financing involving different types of renewables assets (solar and wind).
- Advised the lenders on the up to €110m financing to a company controlled by F2i for the acquisition of the Spanish solar operator Renovalia Energy Group, owning a portfolio of around 1,000 MW of solar power.
Chiomenti's cross-practice energy and infrastructure department has a wealth of expertise in matters concerning oil and gas, biomass, biofuel, wind and LNG, among various other areas. It is particularly noted for its advice on the implementation of new structures in extraordinary operations, project finance transactions and contractual arrangements. The group is led by Carola Antonini, who represents 'a guarantee of solid preparation, experience and accuracy'. She is particularly sought-after for her knowledge of renewable and conventional energy sources, infrastructure and public tenders on energy and gas transport and distribution.
Other key lawyers:
Giulia Battaglia; Filippo Brunetti; Manuela Cerulli
‘Very efficient, hands-on team with very good sector knowledge. While a local Italian firm, it is able to act for its clients like a transaction counsel, which you cannot find in all local firms.’
‘Carola Antonini is able to guide the client through complex business decisions. She has extensive experience and knowledge of the market.’
‘Very large law firm, but organized in such a way as to ensure continuity of relations with the senior partner who deals with the sector. Very prepared, efficient and above all effective. ‘
‘Professional approach, solid preparation, experience and accuracy are always guaranteed ‘
‘A firm that employs serious and reliable professionals. The client is reassured that the firm is able to cover all areas of legal expertise, therefore, during a transaction, if a critical issue should emerge, the team following the operation can involve other colleagues of the firm if necessary to investigate the question that emerged. ‘
‘Carola Antonini’s reliability, availability and promptness in feedback are particularly appreciable.’
‘Specific experience in the sector, proactive support and solid approach’
‘Manuela Cerulli is a certainty in terms of reliability and punctuality, as well as, of course, for the quality of the work’
FIRE (Federazione Italiana per l’uso Razionale dell’Energia)
Banca Europea per gli Investimenti (BEI)
Solar NRG S.r.l.
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria S.A.
FRI-EL Green Power S.p.A.
Unione di Banche Italiane S.p.A.
F2i – Fondi Italiani Per Le Infrastrutture S.p.A.
CDP RETI S.p.A.
Ansaldo Energia S.p.A.
Banca IMI S.p.A.
Alerion Clean Power S.p.A.
Ladurner Ambiente S.p.A.
Oxem – Oxon Energia Mezzana S.p.A.
Secundum Naturam Capital S.r.l.
- Advising SNAM S.p.A. on the acquisition from IREN Group of a stake in OLT Offshore LNG Toscana S.p.A. (a company engaged in LNG business), owner of a liquid natural gas regasification terminal. The transaction is particularly relevant for the following reasons: involves a number of regulatory issues, (ii) it relates a very innovative business (the LNG business), and (iii) it was carried out only few months after that concluded by First State with Uniper
- Advising F2i, leader in the market for the production of electricity from renewable sources, on the acquisition of the entire biomass power plant portfolio from Enel Group. The portfolio is composed by five plants fuelled by biomass, for a generation power of about 108 MW
- Advising CDP Equity S.p.A. on (i) the share capital increase of Ansaldo Energia S.p.A., (ii) an equity contribution agreement entered into by and between CDP Equity S.p.A. and Ansaldo Energia S.p.A. on 27 April 2020.
Clifford Chance's energy and infrastructure team includes lawyers with expertise in corporate M&A, finance, capital markets, public law and tax. Practice head Umberto Penco Salvi has a particularly strong track record in projects involving joint ventures, tender offers, restructuring, construction and contracts. Clients mainly include Italian electric utilities and oil and gas companies. Also notable is that the firm is at the forefront of a number of innovative technology solutions aimed at clients, including an automated contract generating tool and a digital platform for compliance.
Umberto Penco Salvi
Other key lawyers:
E.ON Connecting Energies Italia
E2i Energie Speciali
- Advised Macquarie Infrastructure on the sale of Renvico Holding to Engie. The transaction, due to the size of the plant portfolio, represents one of the most important in the energy and renewable sources sector in recent years in Europe.
- Assisted Edison with the worldwide sale of its oil and gas division, in particular advice was given on the signing of the agreement with Energean Oil & Gas to sell the 100% of Edison Exploration and Production (E&P) and its subsidiaries in the hydrocarbon’s exploration and production business.
- Advised Edison on the possible sale to Scale Gas (a company of the Enagas group) of a minority stake in Depositi GNL Italia S.p.A., a joint venture company set-up by the client and La Petrolifera Italo Rumena in 2018, which is constructing the first LNG deposit in Italy in the port of Ravenna for the delivery and storage of LNG by small scale ships.
DLA Piper is a widely-recognised name in the Italian energy market. Its highly regarded team includes Germana Cassar, who is knowledgeable about administrative law and regulatory issues impacting the industry, and she also represents clients in court litigation. Also recommended is Francesco Novelli, who acts for clients on M&A and finance transactions, as well as restructurings. The practice is led by Giulio Maroncelli, who is a key name in both the oil and gas and renewables markets. The group advises international clients and leading Italian players alike, which are drawn to the firm by its strengths in areas such as energy storage, alternative fuels, electricity efficiency and e-mobility.
Other key lawyers:
Francesco Novelli; Giovanni Ragnoni; Germana Cassar
‘The team is made up of very competent, helpful and dedicated professionals. The professionals work together and are always well informed and prepared.’
‘The assistance provided by Germana Cassar is excellent. She is well-prepared, knows the dynamics of the energy market perfectly and is therefore able to provide extremely high quality assistance quickly and efficiently.’
‘International law firm with partners and structure capable of dealing with due diligence and contracts based on Italian law and the law of other countries (including the latest German law).’
‘Giovanni Ragnoni and Germana Cassar: flexibility in finding solutions, in-depth knowledge of the subject, speed in carrying out activities’
‘The DLA Piper team with Germana Cassar is one of the main legal players in the Italian energy market and administrative and environmental litigation. It is a top-level team with competent and helpful professionals, who work in full synchrony. They are able to provide excellent service with innovative solutions and always try to achieve the goal that the customer has set. They always give punctual, effective and timely answers. ’
‘Germana Cassar is able to understand the necessary steps from the point of view of administrative law to achieve the goal and success of the client’s business.’
‘The team is made up of professionals of high standing, who are available and dedicated. They are always informed and prepared to provide timely answers. The legal service offered by Germana Cassar is excellent with always a positive approach to finding solutions and meet clients’ needs. ’
‘The team is made up of very competent, helpful and dedicated professionals.’
Enlight (listed in Tel Aviv)
EDF Energy Nouvelles Italia
Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG (“TAP”).
Genera (Leading Italian ESCo)
Cube Infrastructure Fund II / Cube II Energy S.à r.l. / CogenInfra
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro (BNP Paribas)
MPS Capital Services
- Acting for CEBAT S.r.l. on the sale – to a fund managed by Oaktree Capital Management L.P. – of a majority stake (80%) in a fully owned company to which it has contributed its entire business.
- Assisted the ENERGY EFFICIENCY FUND, launched and managed by SUSI PARTNERS AG, with multiple transactions concerning the purchase of energy receivables owed by Italian Energy Services Companies (ESCo) vis-à-vis Italian Private and Public clients.
- Assisting CBO 1 S.r.l. and CBO 2 S.r.l. with the development and implementation of the public interest projects of the conversion of the big industrial site in Ostellato for the production of sugar into four different plants for the production of electricity from biomass deriving from the cultivation of beet.
Legance - Avvocati Associati's team excels in undertaking finance transactions for lenders and sponsors, as well as advising on M&A, public law and regulatory issues, and also tax and white-collar crime cases. Its excellent reputation sees it generate a strong flow of work from companies operating in the oil and gas, renewables (particularly photovoltaic) and banking sectors. Monica Colombera, who heads up the practice, manages energy and infrastructure projects. Giovanni Scirocco has expertise in administrative and commercial law issues. In June 2020, the practice underwent significant expansion at associate level and banking and finance expert Antonio Palazzolo made partner. Environmental law expert Cristina Martorana is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Antonio Palazzolo; Cristina Martorana; Giovanni Scirocco; Lucio Di Cicco
‘The team stands out for its extreme competence in administrative matters.’
‘Cristina Martorana is a serious and prepared professional. The ten years of experience she has gained in the sector makes her an excellent consultant and the availability and courtesy that distinguish her allow the establishment of an extremely profitable professional relationship. Lucio Di Cicco, despite his young age, shows great human and professional skills and, both independently and guided by the lawyer. Martorana is able to provide very valuable support in many of the issues brought to her attention. ‘
‘Reliability, experience and ability to act as a true business partner of its partners. Associates are on average very high-level professionals. Attention to the customer: the team is involved in the project and follows it from start to finish, facilitating the creation of a personalized collaboration. ’
‘A special mention goes to Cristina Martorana and Monica Colombera. Martorana is a capable, competent, up-to-date professional, with great sensitivity to energy and infrastructure issues, an excellent network, business oriented, with a solid approach, based on the concrete needs of the customer. To these qualities she combines an empathy rarely encountered in professionals of the same seniority that allows her to create trust relationships over time.’
‘Monica Colombera is a very solid professional, always available, reactive and flexible and above all always available for the client and the counterpart.’
‘Excellent professional quality mixed with the ability to interpret people by contextualizing everything in the operation’
2i Rete Gas
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Cubico Sustainable Investment
European Investment Bank (EIB)
Green Arrow Capital SGR (formerly Quadrivio Capital SGR S.p.A.)
Gruppo Intesa SanPaolo
Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Snam Rete Gas S.p.A.
Wealth Venture Fund Sicar S.A.
Whysol Investment Group
Zouk Capital LLP
- Assistance to Energean Oil & Gas PLC with a private auction managed by Rothschild for the potential acquisition of the entire share capital of Edison Exploration & Production S.p.A. from Edison S.p.A.
- Assistance to EF Vega an holding company wholly owned by EF Solare Italia in the €322m non-recourse project financing refinancing of a portion of its photovoltaic portfolio of about 118 MW
- Assistance to F2i Energie Rinnovabili with the financing raised by a pool of primary domestic and international lenders granted for the acquisition by its subsidiary EF Solare Italia S.p.A. of the Spanish solar operator Renovalia Energy Group.
Norton Rose Fulbright's energy team in Italy is part of a large global network of advisers operating in the sector. The group is experienced in M&A and finance transactions in Italy and further afield internationally. In addition, it also assists Italian clients with international energy projects, particularly in relation to permits and authorisations, environmental and zoning law issues, as well as commercial contracts. Arturo Sferruzza, who heads up the practice, is known for advising Enel Group on a cross-border basis. In 2020, banking and finance lawyer Luigi Costa and administrative law specialist Ginevra Biadico made partner and counsel respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Luigi Costa; Ginevra Biadico
‘Luigi Costa is a highly trained professional’
‘Absolute availability of the team, prompt response and flexibility’
‘Luigi Costa is a tireless lawyer, always available at any time, always available with a solution. Ginevra Biadico: always prepared and impeccable in the relationship, the right support to dispel any doubts, historical memory in various acquisitions and very, very punctual and precise. ‘
‘360-degree knowledge of the sector.’
Silver Ridge Power
Blue Sphere Corporation
- Advised Crédit Agricole, Société Générale, BBVA and Siemens Bank, the lenders, on the first refinancing in Italy compliant with Loan Market Association ‘Green Loan Principles’.
- Advised Susi Partners on the sale of a renewables portfolio.
- Advised Sonnedix, a global independent solar power producer, on the acquisition from Silver Ridge Power Italia of the entire quota capital of RDC Holding, Fin Project, Marisolar and Redsun, in turn owning a portfolio of six solar plants with an overall capacity of 5.20 MWp.
Osborne Clarke's energy and utilities practice acts for a mix of oil and gas companies, utilities companies (with a particular emphasis on the electricity, heating and lighting and water sectors) and operators in the renewables market. The team, which is led by Riccardo Roversi, is adept at handling corporate and project finance transactions, regulatory compliance and anti-bribery work, as well as disputes. It has niche expertise in the development of photovoltaic arrays, the financing of waste-to-energy plants and the sale of wind farms. Giorgio Lezzi has 'unique experience' of administrative law and matters involving public bodies. Carlo Gioffrè is an expert in public procurement, PPP, infrastructure, and environmental and public services law.
Other key lawyers:
Giovanni Penzo; Giorgio Lezzi; Federica Fischetti; Carlo Gioffrè; Angelo Maria Quintieri
‘The firm is made unique by its people, who have always shown preparation and competence, excellent relational aptitudes both with the client and with the counterparties and the judicial authorities.‘
‘Giorgio Lezzi and Federica Fischetti are recommended. ‘
‘Giorgio Lezzi has unique experience in the field of administrative law and public bodies and is the best in the administrative field without any doubt. Giovanni Penzo is the best corporate law attorney one can meet’.
‘Great competence combined with extreme availability and speed with which they worked to solve the difficulties gradually faced. The legal consultant was really a member of the working group and not at all detached or distant. ‘
‘Giorgio Lezzi shows legal competence, availability and quick response rate. Strong technical understanding, which is a very rare and very precious feature.’
‘Giorgio Lezzi, in addition to the high level of competence in his field, demonstrates a remarkable ability to identify the client’s problem by tracing the best solution.’
A2A Ambiente S.p.A.
Acque Bresciane S.r.l
ACSM-AGAM S.p.A. and ACSM-AGAM Reti Gas Acqua S.p.A.
AGESP S.p.A. and AGESP Energia S.r.l.
ALER MILANO (Azienda Lombarda per l’Edilizia Residenziale)
ASM Vigevano e Lomellina S.p.A
Egidio Galbani (Lactalis Group)
Linea Group Holding S.p.A
Unieco Holding Ambiente s.r.l and Unieco Società Cooperativa in LCA
Cogeme S.p.A Group
COGESER S.p.A. and COGESER Servizi S.r.l.
DIF Consulting Deutschland GmbH
Infrastrutture Recupero Energia Agenzia Regionale Ligure – IRE S.p.A.
Prealpi Gas S.r.l.
Società Cremasca Reti e Patrimonio S.p.A
Tea S.p.A Group
Varese Risorse S.p.A.
VNG Handel & Vertrieb GmbH
- Advising DIF Management BV, manager of the ‘Ampere’ investment fund, on the transfer of three Italian companies, owning multiple PV alternative energy plants located in southern Italy, to the UK company Bluefield.
- Advising IRE S.p.A., company operating in the energy efficiency sector (which is controlled by the public authorities of the Liguria region), on the management of certain high value (€403m) contracts relating to the maintenance of heating systems and the supply of gas or other fuel to the region’s hospitals.
- Acting for Unieco Società Cooperativa, an important supplier of utilities services, which was recently put into insolvency owing to problems in its engineering and construction arm, in connection with drafting a competitive tender for the sale of its healthy and profitable environment division, which operates in the waste and water treatment sector and has an enterprise value of approximately €100m.
Pavia e Ansaldo's varied workload covers project development (including large infrastructure facilities, such as solar manufacturing plants), grid parity matters and contracts, as well as e-mobility issues and sustainable energy utility models. Carlo Del Conte heads up the practice, which was bolstered by the arrival of Marco Jannon from Puri Bracco Lenzi.
Carlo Del Conte
Other key lawyers:
Camozzi Holding/Componenti Speciali
M+W Italy S.r.l.
Solar Access Sustainable Energy B.V.
VEI Green s.p.a. (Palladio Holding Group)
- Advising London-based global EPC contractor METKA EGN on the development of several photovoltaic plants in the Sardinia and Apulia Regions.
- Advising one of the world’s leading investors in energy infrastructure projects on the refund of conventional withholding tax paid by a shareholder following a group restructuring.
- Advising Powel, the largest Norwegian industrial IT company, on a landmark deal (and its largest ever contract) with Italian energy giant Enel.
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams excels in advising international players operating in Italy on energy-related matters. It is particularly well-known in the power, renewable energy and energy infrastructure sectors. The team, which is led by Eugenio Tranchino, acts for clients on joint ventures, construction procurement and power purchase, as well as commercial contracts and project finance transactions. It is increasingly seen in innovative new renewables projects, such as those relating to floating offshore wind, energy efficiency, electrical mobility, energy storage system, gas and energy mid-stream industry and utilities. The group also houses administrative lawyer Tiziana Manenti and four new associates, who joined from Macchi di Cellere Gangemi in 2020. In a more recent development, Francesco Piron also made the same move.
Other key lawyers:
Francesco Piron; Luca Sfrecola; Tiziana Manenti
‘The firm can count on an extraordinary knowledge of the energy sector, both of the market and of the players.’
‘Eugenio Tranchino is a professional of the highest calibre and indisputable competence: his knowledge of the sector, of the main players — both national and international — and his network are an element of great value that contribute to the conclusion of even very complex negotiations.’
‘The firm represents excellence in the energy sector in Italy. The energy team, made up of brilliant and highly competent professionals, always assists in a complete and highly qualified way on every possible problem, demonstrating attention and absolute dedication to the customer. ’
‘Eugenio Tranchino is undoubtedly one of the leading experts in the sector and an authoritative figure, who is also widely recognized on the market. With a broad vision of the market in all its facets, his professionalism and undoubted communication skills, as well as human qualities, make the difference when negotiating with counterparties. ‘
‘Undoubtedly a firm of excellence in the energy sector. Constant availability and timeliness.’
‘Eugenio Tranchino is certainly an excellence in the sector and a highly experienced professional with considerable knowledge of the market and undisputed technical and legal expertise. Capable of a great strategic vision, he is brilliant in identifying innovative and targeted solutions. Tiziana Manenti is a professional with great experience in regulatory and administrative law. Attentive to details. Luca Sfrecola is a capable and customer-focused professional. ’
‘Eugenio Tranchino is a superb lawyer, internationally renowned for his excellent experience in the energy sector. ‘
‘Ability, customer care, reliability, seriousness, high competence, availability and excellent service.’
Copenhagen Infrastructure III K/S (“CIP”)
Coro Energy PLC
Shanghai Electric Group Company Limited
Nordic Solar Energy A/S
Blue Elephant Energy AG
IKAV EE S.a.r.l.
- Advising AIM-listed Coro on its agreement to sell its Italian oil & gas portfolio to Zenith Energy Ltd, listed on LSE (Standard Segment), TSXV and Oslo’s Merkur Market. Completion of the sale is conditional on, inter alia, the approval of Coro Energy’s shareholders and the Italian Ministry of Economic Development.
- Advised Tayan Energy Investment, a joint venture between China’s Shanghai Electric and Spain’s Eland Private Equity, on (i) its JV agreement with Limes Renewable Energy (“Limes”), one of the leading Italian renewable energy developers, and on (ii) its acquisition from Limes of two Italian solar photovoltaic plants with a combined installed capacity of 55 MW.
- Advised Blue Elephant Energy AG on a project financing, grant by Bayern LB, to refinance its Italian photovoltaic portfolio with a total installed capacity of 26 MW. The portfolio comprises 5 SPVs that own seven operational PV plants across Italy, including in the Puglia, Lazio, Sicily, Marche and Abruzzo regions.
Pierpaolo Mastromarini leads Bird & Bird's cross-practice energy and utilities team, which has a strong track record in M&A and project finance transactions, as well as advising on regulatory issues. In addition, the group advises on commercial contracts, emissions trading, project development, management and environmental issues. Simone Cadeddu, who is experienced in handling regulatory issues and litigation, is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Alerion Clean Power
Cubico Sustainable Investments
MPS Capital Services Banca per le Imprese S.p.A.
Raggio di Puglia 2
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A. with a revolving facility agreement to be granted to Canadian Solar Construction (company part of the Canadian Solar Group) for the development and construction of 12 PV plants to be realized on grid parity basis in Sicily, Lazio and Apulia regions for a total capacity of 150MW.
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A. with entering into a €94m facility agreement to, inter alia, refinance an amount of part of the original loans granted by a pool of banks to, respectively, Daunia Ascoli and Daunia Savignano, companies operating in the renewable energy sector, in relation to a wind park of 53,5MW in the municipality of Ascoli Satriano (Foggia, Apulia) and a wind park of approximately 78MW (subsequently extended to approximately 83MW) in the municipality of Savignano (Avellino, Campania).
- Assisted Margherita S.r.l., a company engaged in the construction and management of plants for the production of electricity from renewable sources, with the development and construction of the largest grid parity photovoltaic plant currently in Italy with a total capacity of about 86MW.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP assists major Italian players in the energy industry (particularly those in the hydrocarbon sector) with resolving disputes and handling antitrust issues. The cross-practice group includes Mario Siragusa, who has corporate, commercial and competition law expertise. Marco D’Ostuni acts for clients in court proceedings, investigations and civil and administrative energy disputes. Ferdinando Emanuele is another key figure.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Siragusa; Marco D’Ostuni; Ferdinando Emanuele; Roberto Bonsignore; Matteo Beretta; Carlo Santoro; Valerio Cosimo Romano
‘Competence, availability and promptness of the lawyers Marco D’Ostuni, Carlo Santoro and Valerio Cosimo Romano’
Servizio Elettrico Nazionale (gruppo ENEL)
Trans Austria Gasleitung (TAG Austria)
Terminale Adriatico LNG
- Advised Eni on a strategic agreement with Falck Renewables for the joint development of renewable energy projects in the United States. The agreement involves the creation of a venture owned 50% by Eni New Energy US Inc. and 50% by Falck Renewables North America Inc. for the development, construction and financing of new solar photovoltaics, wind onshore and energy storage projects. Under the terms of the agreement, FRNA will simultaneously sell ENE US 49% of its ownership interests in the plants currently in operation in the United States.
- Successfully represented Eni, one of the major Italian energy companies, in proceedings before the Court of Milan related to a claim for damages filed by a contractor for the procurement of civil engineering works for a refinery.
- Acted for Enel Finance International NV, the Group’s Dutch-registered finance company controlled by Enel S.p.A., on the launch of a single-tranche “sustainable” bond for institutional investors on the US and international markets.
Dentons' group in Italy is prominent in the firm's global energy practice. The Italian branch is jointly led by Carsten Steinhauer and managing partner Mileto Giuliani. Steinhauer is mainly recognised for his expertise in transactions and contracts, as well as advising German investment funds on the development of renewable energy plants and power purchase agreements in Italy. Giuliani advises clients on regulatory issues and administrative matters.
Carsten Steinhauer; Mileto Giuliani
‘Very personal approach and client relationship management are two of their strengths, in addition to a very proactive problem-solving approach.’
‘Mileto Giuliani is instrumental in closing deals promptly and pragmatically handling the issues which arise during transactions. Very dedicated and highly recommended.’
‘Mileto Giuliani is always able to develop strong relationships with the different team members in his clients’ foreign offices. He and his team provide a lot more than just legal counselling, they are business facilitators in Italy.’
‘Mileto Giuliani is certainly one of the best legal counsel one can work with.’
‘The firm stands out for its customer care which, despite being an international entity, is absolutely comparable to that of a boutique studio. Absolute availability, competence and collaboration accompany the client throughout the operation. The team also knows how to respond flawlessly and quickly.’
‘High level of preparation in the field of energy law, in particular in the field of renewable energy and M&A operations’
Allianz Global Investors
China General Technology Group
Clean Capital Energy
EDP Renewables holding Italy
Enel Green Power S.p.A.
Enernovum GmbH & Co. KG
ENGIE Italia S.p.A.
Ib Vogt Gmbh
IKAV Global Energy
Shanghai Aerospace Automobile Electromechanical Co. Ltd.
- Assisting Snam S.p.A. with the acquisition, in consortium with several international investment funds, of 49% shares of DNOC Gas Pipelines from Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) for an overall deal value of more than $10bn.
- Assisted Allianz Global Investors with the refinancing of a solar plant portfolio in operation having an aggregate capacity of 15 MW.
- Provided legal assistance to EDP Renewables with the acquisition of a majority stake in a project company holding a ready to built 29 MW wind project in Campania.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's energy department focuses on public procurement, litigation, acquisitions and reorganisations, as well as criminal proceedings. Leah Dunlop, who is dual-qualified to practise in Italy and England & Wales, advises clients operating in the oil and gas and renewable energy sectors; her expertise includes wind farm investments, and regulatory and administrative issues.
‘The firm is made up of highly competent professionals with a keen sense on analysis and attitude to solving problems.’
‘Willingness and listen and understand critical issues and a constructive approach to them, especially taking into account compliance and regulations but also commercial requirements.’
Kuwait Petroleum International
Ferrovie dello Stato S.p.A.
- Advised SAUR on the acquisition of 100% of the corporate capital and voting rights of Aquafin S.r.l., the holding company the Unidro Group
- Advised Phlogas s.r.l. in liquidation on the negotiation of its restructuring plan and on its sale of Molise Gestioni s.r.l.
- Advised Ferrovie dello Stato S.p.A. on the private placement of €150m sustainable finance bonds with the European Investment Bank for the purchase of new less polluting and more energy efficient trains.
K&L Gates' energy, infrastructure and resources team is particularly strong in commodity transactions and infrastructure projects in the gas/LNG and power sectors. The group is led by Paolo Zamberletti, who is recommended for transactional and commercial matters, as well as disputes. In 2020, litigator Andrea Campana, who often handles IP, costs and bankruptcy disputes for energy clients, made partner.
Other key lawyers:
Andrea Campana; Chiara Toccagni
‘The team shows profound knowledge of the issues and dynamics of the energy sector. These skills were then complemented by a precise management of the process, always favouring discussion and guaranteeing the necessary support for the best result.’
‘Ability to innovate and search for solutions that are suitable for the customer’s business, not only in the short term but also in the medium-long term. Often it is the professionals of the team who stimulate the progress of the practice (even when this translates into an increase in working hours), in order to allow the client to obtain optimal results in the shortest time possible’.
‘Paolo Zamberletti always shows great dedication, business understanding, strategic vision and attention to detail’
‘Excellent level of competence and international experience. A team made up of excellent professionals with great human qualities, capable of creating empathy and facilitating the execution of work with great team spirit.’
‘The legal knowledge and regulatory and commercial issues of the gas sector make the firm one of the most qualified on the subject in Italy. Ability to interact with the customer, availability and reliability complete the profile. ‘
‘Paolo Zamberletti is a great connoisseur of energy law in Italy associated with his availability and courtesy make him one of the Italian reference points on the subject.’
‘Andrea Campana: excellent point of reference for litigation.’
‘Paolo Zamberletti is a truly outstanding lawyer, low-profile, very knowledgeable, sharp, strong negotiator, reliable.’
Origis Invest N.V.
Augusta Ratio S.p.A.
Metano Nord S.p.A.
BayWa r.e. Italia S.r.l.
Voith Hydro S.r.l.
- Advised clients Utilità S.p.A./Energy.com S.p.A. on appeals filed before the supreme administrative court (Consiglio di Stato) against the judgements of the Tribunale Amministrativo Regionale – Milano dismissing the appellants’ claims for the annulment of resolutions of the Italian Energy Authority concerning the recalculation of certain balancing payments due under applicable rules governing electricity markets and dispatching of electricity.
- Advised Origis Invest N.V. on the sale of the stakes in its subsidiaries owning photovoltaic plants located in Italy and in Slovakia with an aggregated power capacity of around 40 MW through a private auction process.
- Advised Edison S.p.A. on an appeal filed before the Tribunale Amministrativo Regionale – Milano for the annulment of the resolution of the Italian Energy Authority concerning the approval of certain amendments to the Regasification Code of Terminale GNL Adriatico S.r.l. (Adriatic LNG), the company owning and managing the Rovigo off-shore regasification terminal.
At L&B Partners Avvocati Associati, Michele Di Terlizzi's practice has a specific focus on the renewables sector and she serves investors, sponsors, private equity funds, energy operators and financial institutions. The team also includes Davide Pelloso, who undertakes a mix of corporate work, M&A and litigation. Also recommended is Pina Lombardi, who joined in July 2020 from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe and is knowledgeable about energy-related public law issues.
Michele Di Terlizzi
Other key lawyers:
Davide Pelloso; Pina Lombardi; Alessandro Salzano
‘Ability to offer quality assistance on any aspect of the industry. The growth the team has registered in recent years makes it one of the leading law firms in the energy sector. The transversal competence of the lawyers of the firm allows the client a much easier and immediate dialogue.’
‘Managing partner Michele Di Terlizzi combines a deep knowledge of law with decisive negotiation skills. This allows him to enjoy not only the respect and esteem of customers but also that of colleagues who represent counterparties.’
‘Michele Di Terlizzi’s team provides great quality work. Di Terlizzi is very prepared and a tireless professional, measured, but firm in negotiations. Alessandro Salzano is an extremely brilliant young lawyer.’
Tozzi Group S.p.A.
ACE Renewables Holding S.A.
Tolve Windfarm Holding
L&B Capital SpA
- Advised Evolvere on its acquisition by ENI Gas e Luce, Italy’s largest player in the energy industry.
- Advised Swisspower Renewables on the acquisition of the entire share capital of 3 Hydro and Tecnowatt, companies controlling 5 hydroelectric plants in the Lombardi and Basilicata regions.
- Advised Ori Martin, a large iron and steel producer, on the negotiation, drafting and closing of a complex PPA with DXT Commodities.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi's wide-ranging practice covers renewables, natural gas, electricity, water and waste, as well as energy efficiency. It demonstrates strong capabilities handling corporate and finance transactions, commercial contracts, contentious matters and regulatory issues. Practice head Claudio Visco acts for a mix of clients, including oil and gas companies, sponsors and banks. Francesco Piron joined Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams in January 2021.
‘Excellent knowledge in the reference regulatory sector, availability, diligence, practical approach.’
- Represented Caviro Extra before the Administrative Court (Tar Lazio) over the allocation of the specific incentive schemes (plant for the production of biomethane)
- Acted for Nelsa S.r.l. in litigation over a tender for the award of heat management services
- Advise Società Gasdotti Italia S.p.A. – SGI on an ongoing basis over all activities related to compliance with energy regulations issued by ARERA
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario provides full service assistance to clients in the energy market on matters relating to tax, banking and finance, corporate, regulatory, administrative and competition law. Paolo Esposito, who focuses on the development and financing of infrastructure projects, as well as handling M&A and contractual matters (particularly for players in the gas industry). Fabrizio Magrì is recommended for advice on administrative and public law issues. Banking and finance expert Francesco Dialti is another name to note.
Paolo Esposito; Fabrizio Magrì; Francesco Dialti
Enel Green Power S.p.A.
KI-KELAG International GmbH
Bper Banca S.p.A.
Valle Umbra Servizi S.p.A.
Raffineria di Milazzo
Iccrea BancaImpresa S.p.A.
Banco BPM S.p.A.-
Falck Renewables S.p.A.
- Assistace to Obton, a player in funding, development and management of solar photovoltaic projects, on refinancing a portfolio of 15 solar plants
- Advising Actelios Solar on a €36 million financing, for the refinancing of its financial indebtedness and purchase of new photovoltaic modules.
- Advice for the definition and set up of the legal instrument providing the regulation of the award of the hydroelectric concessions contract of the autonomous province of Trento which are a key sector for the province itself.
Gitti and Partners is 'growing rapidly and the energy team is one of its spearheads'. Its work covers areas such as large-scale renewables, CHP, storage, self-generation, distributed energy and energy efficiency projects. Piero Viganò, who heads up the department, covers project and asset management contracts, and transfers of network assets, as well as regulatory work.
‘Highly qualified professionals in the energy sector and in the legal field.’
‘Pierto Viganò demonstrated competence in all phases of the negotiation, explaining in detail all the actions taken to conclude the deal.’
‘The firm is growing rapidly and the energy team is one of its spearheads.’
‘Piero Viganò is very rigorous and thanks to his in-depth knowledge of the sector and the fact that he follows both extraordinary transactions and civil and regulatory litigation, he always manages to find solutions, even outside the classic schemes. In addition, he is always available: he has absolute dedication to customers.’
Next Energy Capital
- Advice to the multi-utility of the Municipality of Verona on the merger with AIM, the multiutility of the Municipality of Vicenza.
- Assistance in the green project financing of its controlled entity TLRNet for the management of the existing district heating systems and the implementation of a new heating system.
- Assisted Next Energy Capital, the leading PV investor, with the acquisition of the entire share capital of Deltasol and Apollo Europe as indirect owners of a number of PV plants for an aggregate of approximately 20 MW
At Grimaldi Studio Legale, managing partner Francesco Sciaudone leads the team, which serves a global client base across areas such as oil, power, natural gas and renewables. Sciaudone handles project finance transactions for financial institutions, sponsors and project companies, among others. He also assists clients with drafting and negotiating option and purchase agreements, as well as project contracts. In addition, Sciaudone advises clients on joint ventures, as well as litigation.
Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills' energy practice has gone from strength to strength since it hired Lorenzo Parola, Francesca Morra and a team of associates from Paul Hastings in 2019. The firm has become a first port of call for clients operating in areas such as oil and gas, renewables, power, energy transition and energy technology. Its varied workload covers a myriad of issues, including corporate and commercial agreements, public and private M&A, dispute resolution, project development and financing, as well as competition and regulatory matters.
Lorenzo Parola; Francesca Morra
‘The team is dedicated to delivering a reliable service in the shortest timeframe.’
‘The people are experienced professionals with a detailed knowledge of the market participants as well as the legal nuances. ’
‘Unique leadership skills, legal excellence and knowledge of the best international industry practices. ’
‘Lorenzo Parola is the dominant lawyer in the sector. This goes beyond legal services. Not only does he provide outstanding legal and negotiation skills, but he is also considered a point of reference in energy transitions and decarbonisation.’
Global Solar Fund
- Advised Interconnector Energy Italia S.C.p.A. (a consortium of the largest Italian energy intensive companies) on the acquisition from Terna of Monita Interconnector S.r.l. (the SPV holding a TPA exemption on the Italy-Montenegro interconnector), project contracts and project financing.
- Advising Sorgenia S.p.A. as target in the process of its sale to the Italian infrastructure fund F2i and Asterion Industrial Partners SGEIC SA.
- Advising Marguerite II SCSp on the acquisition, through two special purpose vehicles (Marguerite Gas III S.à r.l. and Marguerite Gas IV S.à r.l.), of 48.15% of the share capital of Medea and Gaxa, Italgas group companies operating, respectively, in the gas distribution and supply sectors in the Sardinia region.
Pedersoli Studio Legale
Pedersoli Studio Legale has a strong presence in the energy and utilities space, with its work spanning areas such as power (wind, solar, hydropower and biomass), natural gas, oil and petrochemicals. Its team works with practitioners in the M&A department to advise leading energy market operators on strategically-significant transactions, as well as providing support on administrative issues, commercial agreements and financial matters. Elsewhere, other cornerstones of the practice include regulatory advice, procurement and litigation. The team is jointly led by Luca Saraceni in Milan and Rome-based equity partner Sergio Fienga.
Luca Saraceni; Sergio Fienga
‘Professionalism and availability’
‘Top-quality professionals who are prepared, always up to date, available and above all reliable.’
AEER – Arpinge S.p.A.
EF Solare Italia
Undo Adunanza S.p.A.
AREN Electric Power
Fortore Energia Holding
Energia Wind 2020 S.r.l.
Gestore dei Servizi Energetici – GSE S.p.A.
ICCREA Banca Impresa
Talesun Energy Solutions
Centrale Sassinoro S.r.l.
- Assistance to Snam, through its wholly-owned subsidiary Snam4Efficiency, in the agreement with Gemma S.r.l. and Fen Energia S.p.A. for the cash-based acquisition of 70% of two companies operating in the energy efficiency sector in Italy, Mieci S.p.A. and Evolve S.r.l.
- Assistance to Undo Adunanza S.p.A. with the acquisition of various photovoltaic and wind plants in operation with a total capacity of about 5 MW.
- Assistance to the GSE in about 250 disputes pending before the Administrative Courts (Regional Administrative Courts and State Council), concerning admission to public incentives for energy plants. Extra-judicial assistance in tender procedures committed by the GSE in relation to the supply of services.