EU and competition law in Italy
In EU and competition law, BonelliErede is continuing to build an enviable reputation as a leading practice. With a wide international network of allied firms and offices in Brussels and London, the firm's lawyers work as one team across a plethora of sectors, including insurance, energy, telecoms, media and sports law. Other areas of expertise include representation in front of the European authorities, private enforcement (both on the defender and offender side) and compliance. Practice head Claudio Tesauro is well regarded for his expertise on restrictive agreements and abuse of dominant position; Sara Lembo was promoted to the partnership in 2019. Francesco Anglani is also noted.
‘Compared to other firms, BonelliErede stands out for its transparency and respect of deadlines.’
‘The firm has the ability to deal with all legal issues with a broad perspective, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the subject and extensive experience in the sector. ‘
Enel Energia S.p.A.
Ernst & Young S.p.A.
Ferrovie dello Stato SpA
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
Salini Impregilo S.p.A.
- Assistance to Enel Energia in the proceedings before the TAR of Lazio to challenge the decision by which the Italian Competition Authority held that the Enel group abused its dominant position in the market for the retail of electricity to domestic and non-domestic customers connected in low voltage.
- Assistance to Ernst & Young and EY Advisory before the State Council to annul the decision by which the Italian Competition Authority ascertained the existence of an alleged antitrust agreement between the Big 4.
- Representation of Fastweb before the General Court against the European Commission’s decision approving the acquisition of sole control by Hutchinson 3G Italia of Wind.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, which enjoys a preeminent reputation for EU and competition law in Italy, is home to major figures in the market, such as the 'outstanding' Matteo Beretta, Mario Siragusa, described as 'one of the best in his area', and Marco D’Ostuni, who is 'simply great.' The team work for multinationals and financial institutions across the energy, telecoms and media, financial and environmental sectors. Senior attorney Saverio Valentino is another well-regarded member of the team.
Matteo Beretta; Mario Siragusa; Marco D’Ostuni
‘Working with Matteo Beretta and Alice Setari is an absolute pleasure. Their knowledge of competition law is excellent, as expected from Cleary as a firm, but the way they dive into the market environment and business details of their client makes them exceptional. Alice is a driving force.’
‘Extremely good knowledge of the European markets. Having offices in various national contexts, the team is able to understand the processes and trends that are taking place in specific areas and the repercussions with respect to antitrust’
‘The firm’s legal products are always extremely accurate and based on a very solid and in-depth knowledge of both facts and rules, even when working in severe time constraints.’
‘Mario Siragusa simply is THE antitrust lawyer in Italy. Marco D’Ostuni also is tremendously experienced in abuse of dominance cases and litigation. He has an outstanding capability of developing and representing innovative, persuasive and successful defensive arguments.’
‘Very supportive and rigorous in respecting challenging deadlines. Concrete and focused on client needs and problem solving. Able to offer 360-degree support thanks to different practices that work as a unique team.’
‘Outstanding technical skills, very focused on client needs and satisfaction, able to bring real value added to the business’
‘Matteo Beretta and Valerio Cosimo Romano display extraordinary and unique knowledge of the market, an outstanding understanding of competition law and a committed presence and customer assistance.’
‘Matteo Beretta is very determined and fully committed to the client’s case. He has a high level of dedication and excellent business acumen.’
‘Cleary’s team is unique in terms of competence and effectiveness.’
F. Hoffmann-La Roche
Fondo Interbancario di Tutela dei Depositi
- Assisted Sky Italia in relation to an order issued by the Milan Tribunal that rejected the appeal filed by MediaPro Italia against the decision rendered by the same Tribunal, which had granted the petition filed by SKY Italia and suspended the tender procedure for the assignment of Serie A soccer audiovisual rights.
- Counsel to Fondo Interbancario di Tutela dei Depositi (FITD), Italy’s deposit guarantee scheme, before the General Court of the European Union in its successful appeal against the European Commission’s decision which found that FITD’s voluntary intervention in support of Banca Tercas constituted State aid, granted in violation of article 108(3) TFEU and incompatible with the internal market.
- Global and EU counsel to Essilor in its merger with Luxottica.
The EU and competition team at Chiomenti represents an impressive set of high-end clients. Cristoforo Osti leads the team, advising in cases involving anti-competitive exchange of information, abuse of dominant position, cartel proceedings and, among others, unfair commercial practices. The automotive, energy, retail and finance sectors are among the most represented in the client portfolio. The practice developed further at mid-level with Alessandra Prastaro's promotion to counsel in January 2019.
Amazon Europe Sarl
Finaf S.p.A. (Angelini Group)
Toyota Motor Italia S.p.A.
Toyota Financial Services PLC
Toyota Financial Corporation
Opel Finance S.p.A.
BMW Bank Gmbh (Italian branch)
La Veggia S.p.A.
Buzzi Unicem S.p.A.
Cementi Moccia S.p.A.
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A.
Coop Centro Italia SC
F2i-Fondi Italiani per le infrastrutture
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A.
Investindustrial VI LP.
Reti Televisive Italiane S.p.A. e Mediaset S.p.A.
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti S.p.A.
Banca Generali S.p.A.
Crédit Agricole Cariparma S.p.A.
FlixBus Italia S.r.l.
Philip Morris Italia S.p.A.
Goldcar Italy S.r.l.
Industrie Riunite Odolesi S.p.A.
Lyoness Italia S.r.l.
Coop Alleanza 3.0 s.c.
Centrale Adriatica s.c.
Unicoop Firenze s.c.
Unicoop Tirreno s.c.
Coop Italia s.c.
myWorld Italia S.r.l.
State aid, unfair commercial practices, abuse of dominant position and abuse of economic dependence are some of the areas of expertise demonstrated by the EU and competition law practice at Clifford Chance. The longstanding team, led by competition expert Luciano Di Via, is mainly active in mergers and antitrust investigations on cartels; Di Via is also part of the firm's Italy tech group and is well versed in the agricultural and food sectors. Senior associate Pasquale Leone supports him in matters of insurance, transport and food law.
Luciano Di Via
A2A Energia S.p.A.
- Assisted A2A and A2A Energia, one of the largest Italian companies in the production and distribution of electricity, on an investigation opened by the ICA alleging an abuse of dominant position in the electric energy market.
- Advising one of the world’s leading producers of fibre-based packaging, pulp and paper, before the ICA alleging a cartel among the main operators in the Italian markets for the production and sale of boxes in corrugated cardboard.
- Advising a leading provider of medical imaging equipment in the proceedings opened by the Italian Competition Authority alleging an abuse of dominant position in the Italian market for maintenance services for diagnostic instruments.
DLA Piper's EU and competition law team, which is part of the firm's broader litigation and regulatory department, is particularly appreciated for transactional and contentious antitrust and regulatory work, both in Italy and across wider Europe. At the top of the team is the 'outstanding' Alessandro Boso Caretta, who attracts praise for his technical understanding of the telecoms, media and technology worlds - rounded up by Domenico Gullo's expertise in merger control, financial institutions and gaming and betting.
Alessandro Boso Caretta; Domenico Gullo
‘A comprehensive one-stop shop for legal assistance to a multinational company. Deep knowledge of TMT industry; striving for innovation and using new technology to provide value to customers (GDPR app, legal tech blogs, chatbots)’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta has a deep knowledge of the telecom sector from a TMT/antitrust/regulation perspective, allowing him to provide very valuable advice.’
‘The team is really excellent. They combine great knowledge of the market and a powerful organization. They are well balanced, flexible to the need of the client, very committed and responsive. They give high-quality and pragmatic advice.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta has deep sector knowledge, strong technical legal skills, and a great ability to solve problems. He is very easy to work with and understands the needs of multinational companies.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta is very experienced in competition law and regulatory matters in the logistics, transportation and postal markets. His advice is very accurate, timely and to the point. He is also a very good litigator, with an impressive successful track record.’
‘Overall, a great team.’
‘They take care of the client, understanding precisely the business needs. They turn legal issues into business solutions.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta takes care of the client with great business acumen.’
‘Very good team. They combine competition law expertise with regulatory knowledge, both on transactional matters and litigation. They provide quick and effective advice.’
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta, Bice Di Sano and Massimo D’Andrea are easy to work with and have strong technical skills.’
EDP Renewables Italia
Vodafone Italia and Vodafone Automotive
ERG Power Generation
- Assisting longstanding client Vodafone in various activities, including multi-million antitrust proceedings.
- Assisted Unilever Holding in relation to the antitrust aspects related to the acquisition of the 75% of Italian personal care business Equilibra.
- Assisting Iccrea Banking Group before the Italian Competition Authority in relation to the filing of the transaction leading to the creation of the Cooperative Banking Group promoted by Iccrea Banca.
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners's top-of-the-market antitrust and regulatory practice is regularly called on for high-stakes matters across the banking, insurance and pharmaceutical sectors. Routinely assisting during cartel investigations, the firm has seen a spike in the number of private enforcement cases (including for big names in the oil and gas and aerospace field.) Piero Fattori brings cases before the administrative and civil courts and the Italian and European competition authorities; Matteo Padellaro is a key figure for procurement law and international commercial arbitration cases.
Assotelecomunicazioni – Asstel
Moby – CIN
Manutencoop Facility Management (now Rekeep S.p.A.)
Società Cattolica di Assicurazione
B4 Capital SA
- Assisting Novartis in its appeal from the Italian Administrative Court of First Instance judgment which upheld the ICA’s decision to fine pharmaceutical companies Hoffman-La Roche, Novartis, and their Italian subsidiaries for unlawful coordination aimed at hindering the rollout of a cheaper drug in the treatment of wet-AMD patients, in favour of a more expensive product, artificially differentiating the two products.
- Assistance to the national telecom industry association (Asstel) in the investigation launched by the Italian Competition Authority also against Tim, Vodafone, Fastweb and Wind Tre in order to ascertain whether they coordinated their commercial strategies with regard to the methodology and timescales for complying with the new law which requires all market operators to adopt the monthly billing schedule, by April 5 2018.
- The practice has been providing assistance to ENI, a globally ranked main player in the oil and gas market, in several civil cases.
Appreciated for its 'strong attention to new developments' in the sector, Nctm Studio Legale has a combined knowledge of EU and competition, copyright and sports law, which enables it to handle interesting and high-profile cases. Luca Toffoletti advises clients in the telecoms, automotive and retail sectors; Alberto Toffoletto is recognised for private antitrust litigation. Both lawyers collaborate with Brussel-based Bernard O’Connor. In November 2019 Alessandro De Stefano left the team to join Linklaters.
Luca Toffoletti; Alberto Toffoletto
‘Able to provide valuable solutions at very short notice’
‘The team provides very good and pragmatic legal advice. Always available.’
‘Luca Toffoletti and Alessandro De Stefano are both very competent and reliable. ‘
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A.
Linde Medicale S.r.l.
Brunello Cucinelli S.p.A.
SCF – Società Consortile Fonografici
- Following the assistance provided to Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A in the definition and management of the competitive procedure for the license of broadcasting rights of the Serie A for the Seasons 2018/21, in order to ensure their compliance with competition and regulatory rules, Nctm is now assisting Lega in various matters concerning the relationship with licences, and in the definition of the rules for the new competitive procedure concerning the license of broadcasting rights of the Serie A for the Seasons 2021/2024.
- Represented MSC, Mediterranean Shipping Company and in particular its joint controlled company TIL, in the notification to the ICA of the acquisition of management company of the transhipment hub of Gioia Tauro (case C-12225).
- Nctm is Telecom Italia’s sole counsel in two follow-on antitrust damages action brought, respectively, by Brennercom and Teleunit.
Ashurst's EU and competition law team, led by Denis Fosselard, is very active in the industrials space - notably in the steel and concrete markets - and also participates in regulated markets, such as telecoms and insurance. The Milan team is well regarded for its capacity to tackle cases relating to merger control, cartels and abuse of dominance, with counsel Gabriele Accardo a key figure in the practice.
‘Very responsive, accessible, and great knowledge of EU antitrust law’
‘Gabriele Accardo is very responsive and has a deep knowledge of EU and Italian antitrust laws’
Wietersdorfer Industrie Beteiligungs GmbH
- Represented Valsabbia and Alfa Acciai in a procedure before the European Commission (and the EU Courts) which led twice to the re-adoption of a fining decision.
- Assisting Babcock International in relation to an investigation before the Italian Competition Authority and the following appeal before the administrative courts.
- Assisting Friulana Calcestruzzi in relation to an investigation opened by the Italian Competition Authority in the Italian concrete market and to the following appeal procedure before the administrative courts.
With full coverage of antitrust matters, Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie assists companies in proceedings involving Italian and international competition authorities, as well as in merger control and compliance matters and antitrust audits. Andrea Cicala is responsible for the practice, which also includes counsel Riccardo Pennisi.
Daimler AG, Mercedes-Benz Financial Services Italia S.p.A.-and Mercedes-Benz Italia S.p.A.
Facebook, Inc – Facebook Ireland Ltd
IMG Worldwide LLC / IMG Media Limited / IMG Italy S.r.l.
LVMH – Sephora
A. Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite S.r.l.
Willis Towers Watson Italy S.r.l.
Mytaxi Italia S.r.l.
Michael Kors GmbH
- Representing IMG Worldwide LLC and IMG Media Limited before the ICA in proceedings concerning a bid-rigging case in the context of Italian Football League tenders for international audiovisual rights.
- Assisting IMG Worldwide and IMG Media in damages follow-on action.
- Assisted Daimler AG and Mercedes Benz Financial Services Italia Spa in the proceeding before ICA for the Automotive Financing case, succeeding in obtaining the full immunity for the companies from the fines that, otherwise, would have been over €60m.
At Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale, Alessandro Greco is assisted by four other lawyers in dealing with antitrust and EU law matters before the competition and administrative courts. Recent work highlights have included cases relating to abuse of dominance, compliance, antitrust liabilities and bid-rigging cartels for prominent international clients. Private enforcement and merger control also form a significant portion of the practice.
Total E&P Italia
Stryker (Stryker Corporation and Stryker Italia)
- Assistance to the South African Aspen Pharmacare group in obtaining the closure without any finding of liability of the investigation of the Italian Competition Authority’s (case A 480B) for an alleged failure by Aspen to comply with a previous order to set not unfair prices for oncology drugs marked in Italy.
- Advised Manitalidea on a cartel case before the ICA.
- Advised CAL.ME (Calce Meridionale) on litigation before Second Instance Court against a first instance ruling confirming ICA’s cartel decision.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Gattai Minoli Agostinelli & Partners
Gattai Minoli Agostinelli & Partners - regarded as a 'top address for competition law in Italy' - handles significant merger control and antitrust litigation as well as consumer protection and cartel cases before the Italian Antitrust Authority. The practice, led by Silvia D’Alberti, also encompasses regulatory and commercial advisory expertise. Fabiana Campopiano is described as 'deserving of recognition' and a 'rising star in Italy'.
‘Silvia D’Alberti and Fabiana Campopiano are exceptional lawyers and a trusted source of advice on Italian competition law. It is a great pleasure working with Silvia and Fabiana.’
‘Silvia is an outstanding competition lawyer and very pleasant to work with. Fabiana is one of the greatest colleagues I have met in the antitrust community. She is very professional, efficient and places the interest of her clients before her own. She is truly dedicated to serving the clients in the best way possible.’
‘All lawyers of the team are smart and talented lawyers and excellent to work with.’
‘Always 100% satisfaction. Smart and talented lawyers who go the extra mile with clients. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Silvia D’Alberti is highly experienced. She knows virtually all key stakeholders in the Italian competition policy space.’
Intesa SanPaolo S.p.A.
Iccrea Banca S.p.A.
Securities Services S.p.A.
BNP Paribas Securities Services SCA
Iren Mercato S.p.A.
Shell Italia S.p.A.
Shell Aviazione S.r.l.
Diamond Love Bond S.p.A.
METRO Italia Cash and Carry S.p.A.
Costa Crociere S.p.A.
Intermediate Capital Group plc
Ambienta Sgr S.p.A.
- Represented Airgreen in a bid rigging proceeding initiated by the IAA.
- Representing Allsystem S.p.A. in a proceedings initiated by the ICA.
- Represented five financial institutions in the investigation initiated by the IAA against Monte Titoli.
Gatti Pavesi Bianchi provides 'timely, seamless assistance' to a wide range of clients across different sectors, including banking, manufacturing, energy and telecoms. All professionals in the team - who are regularly involved in acquisitions of sole control, state aid proceedings in front of the EU Commission and establishments of joint ventures - are warmly appreciated by clients. These include practice head Stefano Grassani, who is a member of the Board of Directors of the Italian Antitrust Association, counsel Andrea Torazzi and Lorenzo Picciano.
‘Andrea Torazzi and Lorenzo Picciano possess the unique and proven ability to pilot the most sophisticated merger reviews and litigation through the complexities of this new and shifting framework’
‘Great availability, transversal competence regarding the various aspects necessary to acquisition by banks, including regulatory issues functional to obtain authorizations from the various authorities involved. Great ability to analyze issues in order to offer various solutions’
‘The competence in competition law of Andrea Torazzi is unique.’
S.E.A. – Società per Azioni Esercizi Aeroportuali
Sogaer-Società di Gestione Aeroporto di Cagliari
Neuberger Berman LLC
Banca Mediolanum S.p.A.
Yoox/Net a Porter
Grandi Navi Veloci S.p.A.
Jacob Cohen S.p.A.
- Assisting SEA (the managing operator of both the two Milan airports of Malpensa and Linate) and the Municipality of Milan in a follow-on antitrust and Sate aid damages civil action started against them by the handling operator ATA Handling following the EU Commission’s ascertaining of a State aid they granted to SEA’s subsidiary and ATA Handling competitor’s SEA Handling.
- Assisted Forgital, a leading Italian manufacturer of components for the aerospace and Oil&Gas industry, in the filing with the European Commission of the acquisition of sole control of Forgital by the Carlyle Group.
- Assisted Banca Popolare di Sondrio in the filing with the Italian Antitrust Authority of the acquisition of sole control of Cassa di Risparmio di Cento, an important Italian North East banking operator.
The 'efficient and close-knit' competition regulation team at Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria is active across a wide array of matters. Boosted by Greenberg's international platform, and acting as part of a well-integrated litigation department, merger control is one of the team's key strengths, as well as damage actions and tech-related antitrust matters. Practice heads Alberto Santa Maria and Edoardo Gambaro are regularly involved in high-profile cases in the travel and banking sectors.
Alberto Santa Maria; Edoardo Gambaro
‘The EU and competition law team combines high-quality work with a very pragmatic approach. The familiarity with EU law and procedures is certainly a plus and a distinguishing feature of the team.’
‘Edoardo Gambaro is competent, skilled and always available.’
‘Very efficient, qualified and close-knit team. I really appreciate the ability to research and analyze the topics examined’
‘A very high level of technical preparation and professionalism, in addition to human qualities, characterize the professionals of the firm. Particularly recommendable are Alberto Santa Maria for his high academic standing and experience, Edoardo Gambaro for his preparation and Luigi Santa Maria for his ability with customer relations.’
Banca Popolare di Bari
Scuola Elementare Maria Montessori
- Representation of Tercas Banca Popolare di Bari in a seminal judgement of the EU General Court on State aid.
- Representation of Federalberghi in a litigation against Airbnb.
- Representation of a plastic component supplier in the automotive sector in litigation regarding contractual breach and abusive behaviour.
Hogan Lovells International LLP has a successful track record of acting in cartel cases (for example in the consumer credit market), as well as advising on unfair commercial practices, misleading advertising, abuses of dominant position and antitrust compliance issues. The key name to note is Sabrina Borocci, who leads the practice with longstanding expertise in many sectors, including pharma, media, TMT and energy.
Volkswagen Bank GmbH
Vodafone Group Services Limited
Alstom Ferroviaria S.p.A.
TravelJigsaw Limited (Rentalcars)
Airbnb Ireland Unlimited Company
Corepla – National Consortium for the Collection and Recycling of Plastic packages
- Antitrust assistance to Volkswagen Bank in a cartel case and follow-up actions.
- Assisting Vodafone HQ in the proceedings opened by the Italian Competition Authority in respect leading telecommunication operators on the alleged exchange of information related to the monthly invoice system adopted by the players..
- Assistance to Alstom Ferroviaria in the appeal lodged before the Court of Appeal of Milan against an arbitral award.
The competition team at Pedersoli Studio Legale comprises practice head Davide Cacchioli and Alessandro Bardanzellu. The duo handle competition litigation including matters relating to commercial practices, cartels, abuse of dominance and state aid - especially those that have strong banking, finance and insurance components; all particular specialisms of the firm. In the last year, the department has also acted on merger control matters in the packaging, food and beverage, energy and pharma sectors.
‘Pedersoli Studio Legale is an excellent law firm. The antitrust department has a deep knowledge of the competitive dynamics of the banking and financial markets and perfectly know the practice of the Italian Competition Authority and EU Commission. The quality and skills of the antitrust lawyers at Pedersoli and their excellent interplay with the M&A team of the firm provide a significant added value to the client.’
‘Alessandro Bardanzellu is a very reliable and skilled lawyer. He showed to be capable to assist the client also in connection with complex transactions, proposing practical and effective solutions. Alessandro is also quick in understanding the antitrust issues and capable to prepare sophisticated legal strategies.’
‘The Pedersoli team has great expertise and professional skills in the specific areas of EU and competition law. Compared to other firms, the team is efficient and directly involved in all stages of the activity.’
‘Davide Cacchioli and Alessandro Bardanzellu have great and qualified experience in antitrust and regulatory matters’
‘Very good team. They combine competition law expertise with regulatory knowledge, both on transactional matters and litigation. They provide quick and effective advice.’
‘Alessandro Bardanzellu is easy to work with and has strong technical skills.’
The shareholders of FIMEI
Camera di Commercio di Brescia
Ondulati Nordest and Scatolificio Idealkart
Alpha Private Equity Fund 7
Fondo Italiano d’Investimento
- Assistance to the shareholders of FIMEI in connection with the merger control issues relating to the sale of their entire shareholding in FIMEI (which, in turn, controls the pharmaceutical company Recordati) to a consortium of investment funds controlled by CVC Capital Partners.
- Assistance to Intesa Sanpaolo and Banca 5 in the antitrust aspects concerning the agreement signed with Sisal Group, a portfolio company owned by CVC private equity fund, to set up a new business that will allow them to offer banking products, and payment and transaction services in over 50,000 businesses distributed throughout Italy.
- Advised the shareholders of OCME in connection with the merger control issues relating to the sale of their entire shareholding in OCME to Aetna Group.
As a core service line for White & Case (Europe) LLP in Europe, the Milan competition team has been built up under the leadership of Veronica Pinotti, who joined in 2017 to forge a new centre of expertise for the US-headquartered firm, working in tandem with colleagues in other key offices such as Brussels and Washington. With six lawyers and further expansion planned, the team focuses on matters relating to mergers, EU vertical agreements, asset restructuring, abuse of dominant position and cartels.
‘High standards, great experience and comparative knowledge. Veronica Pinotti – business-oriented, practical, very approachable and available.’
‘Veronica Pinotti has outstanding experience in managing international competition law-related assignments; Martino Sforza stands out with his remarkable attention to details. They both form a very efficient team achieving the best results with minimum efforts.’
‘The team has a breadth and depth of expertise in all aspects of competition and consumer protection. With this expertise, they are able to provide quick and practical advice.
‘Veronica Pinotti is a star, with a significant international reputation.
‘Martino Sforza is a rising star, with a great depth of expertise in competition matters.’
‘The team is a guarantee of quality and in-depth analysis. They tend to be used for complex cases and second opinion or appeal of antitrust proceedings which went wrong with other advisors. They are hyper-specialized with the partner in charge very much involved concretely on the matters.’
‘This is the place to go in Italy when a company needs immediate and top quality assistance. Veronica Pinotti is one of the best antitrust lawyers in Italy and Brussels. She is totally passionate about antitrust and constantly available for clients on difficult issues. Her UK background makes a big difference in the way she handles cases.
‘Martino Sforza is a star. He has developed unique knowledge of the interplay between antitrust, privacy and consumer law.’
‘The perfect match. It is a real pleasure working with the very international and quality-driven team. They are all restless, passionate and devoted to their cases. Veronica Pinotti is an excellent leading practitioner with over 20 years’ experience. She has a unique capability to understand the potential interplay and consequences arising from a competition law issue and to shape the legal and litigation strategy taking into consideration any potential collateral scenarios. As a result, Veronica and her team are incredibly smart in working with colleagues who have a strong experience in the collateral sector of the law involved in the case’.
‘Martino Sforza and Paul Alexander are very skilled and extremely professional. Strong capability to work jointly and to understand different needs or legal concerns coming from different colleagues makes this team unique.’
‘High level of professionalism, always updated on national and international hot topics. Particularly appreciable to have them at our side in case of needs.’
Heineken Italia S.p.A.
Pastificio Rana S.p.A.
Nestlé Italiana S.p.A.
Danone S.p.A.; Mellin S.p.A., Nutricia Italia S.p.A.
Warner Bros Entertainment Italia S.r.l.
Octapharma Italy S.p.A.
McDonald’s (and Fondazione Ronald McDonald Italia)
Ralph Lauren Europe Sarl
Davide Campari Milano S.p.A.
Huawei Italia S.r.l.
Facebook Inc., Facebook Ireland Limited, Facebook Italy S.r.l.
Pfizer Italia S.r.l.
PFH – Palladio Holding
Corporacion America Italia S.p.A.
Autosock Operations AS
- Assisting Campari, a leading worldwide alcohol beverage player, on cross-border complex antitrust advisory activities as well as audit and compliance activities for all group companies.
- Assisting Huawei Technologies Italy S.r.l., the leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, on all aspects of EC and Italian competition law in relation to the assessment of new projects and distribution issues.
- Following the decision of the Italian Competition Authority of July 2001, the firm assisted Heineken on compliance with the conditions set out in the ICA’s decision and reporting to the ICA on their implementation in the relevant standard distribution agreements in use in Italy.
The EU and competition law practice at De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani is singled out for its 'incredible professionality' in relation to issues of discrimination, freedoms of establishment, competition, state aid and antitrust damages. In Milan, founding partner Roberto A. Jacchia combines his IP expertise with competition law; Antonella Terranova, in charge of the firm's Rome office, is 'a secure point of reference' for merger filings, abuse of dominance and regulation; Fabio Ferraro is a key member of her team. After twenty years at the firm, Irene Picciano left for Portolano Cavallo in October 2019.
Roberto A. Jacchia; Antonella Terranova
‘Availability at any time’
‘Fabio Ferraro is always able to convey new and surprising points of view in the relation between domestic cases and European law by identifying those that can be considered precedents before the European Court.’
Eec Clean Energy SRL
Rizzani de Eccher
Stanley International Betting
- Assisted, advised and represented leading European gaming and betting operator Stanley, in Italy, other European jurisdictions and at EU level.
- Successfully defended Rizzani de Eccher, a leading group in the infrastructure sector, before the Greek National Competition Commission (Hellenic Competition Commission) in the biggest cartel investigation in the history of Greek Antitrust, with record sanctions imposed on domestic industries.
- Application to the ECHR in relation to misadministration in proceedings for allocation of off-shore geotermic research permits.
With Vito Auricchio at the helm, the Milan and Rome-based EU, antitrust and regulation practice at Legance - Avvocati Associati focuses on merger filings, cartel investigations and abuse cases. Civil litigation matters are gaining importance for the department; this ongoing development has propelled promotions and acquisitions of new talent in the early months of 2019, especially at associate level.
- Assisting Carnival/Costa Crociere in the EU filing related to the setting up of a JV in the cruise terminal sector with MSC and Royal Caribbean.
- Assisting 2i Rete Gas, number two player in Italy in the gas distribution sector, in an abuse of dominance investigation before the Italian Competition Authority.
- Assisting Iliad as intervener in a cartel investigation initiated by the Italian Competition Authority against the major mobile phone operators for an alleged collusion on the definition of commercial terms.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe's Italy antitrust and competition was significantly expanded in October 2018 when current practice head Pietro Merlino and managing associate Marianna Mariani joined from Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. Merlino is very active for pharmaceutical companies; the firm has a busy practice handling matters relating to merger control, notifications, audits and damage actions. Public infrastructure, insurance and manufacturing are also important markets.
‘Even though the competition practice has only recently been established, the firm has already been able to consolidate a highly competent image and good credibility. The main merit is to be attributed to Pietro Merlino, a brilliant lawyer with remarkable attention to the customer.’
‘They are able to quickly immerse themselves in business themes and understand even the most complex dynamics’
‘Pietro Merlino is exuberant but also very pragmatic, able to suggest concrete and effective solutions. Marianna Meriani is very considerate; nothing escapes her. Extremely analytical and competent. The mix of the two is absolutely winning.’
F. Hoffmann–La Roche Ltd
- Successful assistance to pharmaceutical company Kedrion in an ICA investigation concerning a possible anticompetitive arrangement arising from a temporary joint venture.
- Assisted F. Hoffmann-La Roche in the appeal proceedings before the Council of State in connection with an alleged anti-competitive arrangement between the Roche and Novartis groups.
- Advised Calfin and Calvi Holding (a major manufacturer of specialty steel products) in the merger control aspects – filings and merger control review proceedings in Italy and Germany – of the acquisition of joint control over Calvi Holding (together with Calfin) by the De Agostini Group.
The competition team at Osborne Clarke - which is led by Enrico Fabrizi, supported by a strong bench of associates - is particularly valued by clients for its significant expertise relating to proceedings before the Italian antitrust authorities, as well as its knowledge of the advertising law sector; for example, handling disputes over misleading claims. In addition, the department is turned to for advice on merger filings, notifications and investigations.
‘In addition to the professional skills, remarkable ability to immediately understand the practical needs of the client and to provide, in a very short time, concrete advice, solutions and great value for the company organization.’
‘Enrico Fabrizi, Valeria Veneziano and Angelo Molinaro are at the forefront of competition law. They show high technical skills and present themes and solution with clarity to the client. They provide concrete suggestions that are in focus with the client’s business’
‘Enrico Fabrizi has legal understanding, excellent communication skills and is able to convey his personal knowledge to clients and other professionals. Additionally, he is able to objectively assess the circumstances of the case at stake and counsel over the best available choice. He is a great and trustworthy professional.’
‘Their outstanding expertise and competence, both at Italian and European level, is difficult to find in other firms’
‘Enrico Fabrizi gets immediately to the centre of any antitrust issues, with an excellent comprehension of the contractual aspects’
‘Very competent and reliable. They are certainly among the best in Italy for competition law.’
‘Enrico Fabrizi immediately grasps the issues and problems of a case and knows what arguments can be more beneficial to the clients. Angelo Molinaro and Valeria Veneziano are also very good.’
CNS-Consorzio Nazionale Servizi
Grifols Italia S.p.A
Grendi Trasporti Marittimi S.p.A
Reale Mutua Assicurazioni
Stichting Trucks Cartel Compensation
- Defending major Spanish pharmaceuticals company, Grifols, in an investigation by the Italian antitrust authority into alleged anticompetitive practice in relation to a temporary association for participating in a public tender in the hemoderivatives sector.
- Acting for Pometon, a supplier of metal powders and granules, before the General Court of the EU, achieving a considerable reduction of the fine previously applied by the EU Commission.
- Assisting CNS-Consorzio Nazionale Servizi, a consortium of around 200 companies offering a wide variety of services, in connection with a cartel investigation launched by the IAA relating to a highly valuable public tender for facility management services opened by Consip, the central purchasing authority of the Italian public administration, in 2014.
At Pavia e Ansaldo, Filippo Fioretti and his team of associates dedicate themselves to antitrust and competition matters such as market obstruction, abuse of dominance and of economic dependence, acquisitions and audits. The practice, which regularly collaborates with the firm's administrative and dispute resolution departments, advised two market-leading Milanese taxi operators in a high-profile 2019 appeal, while also handling matters for a significant number of telecoms and gaming companies.
‘Marco Giustiniani and Filippo Fioretti are stand-out partners.’
Association of Local Democracy Agencies (ALDA)
Colt Technologies S.p.A.
Dea Capital Alternative Funds SGR
KAI S.r.l. (formerly Shell Italia Aviazione)
Several major Taxi unions and taxi companies
Wolters Kluwer Italia
- Representing Taxiblu 4040 and Autoradiotassi 8585, two leading Milan taxi operators in their major appeal win in a case which, if lost, would have had significant repercussions for the sector.
- Advised London-based private equity firm Stirling Square Capital Partners on the important competition aspects of its cross-border investment in Italian hi-tech company.
- Advising Sonepar on the successful clearing by the IAA of a transaction crucial to our client’s expansion strategy.
The EU law and competition department at Portolano Cavallo was established by Enzo Marasà, who joined the firm in late 2017. Since then, the team has built up a strong record of work on antitrust matters relating to the competitive and ever-evolving media industry. Activity in this space has been boosted by a tight collaboration with the wider firm's TMT department; the team works with both Italian and US-based companies on regulatory issues, joint ventures and mergers.
‘They quickly understand the business, find out practicable solutions, balancing legal risks and business needs. They use a non-legal language, which is really appreciated because it makes the conversation easier and more comfortable.’
‘Straight to the point.’
Trevisan & Cuonzo has been steadily building a reputation in the EU law and competition space, driven in part by the 2019 hire of the well-regarded Mario Libertini and members of his team from Libertini Mario Studio Legale. He joined the 'committed and engaged' team as of counsel, supporting practice heads Luca Trevisan in Milan and Vittorio Cerulli Irelli in Rome.
Luca Trevisan; Vittorio Cerulli Irelli
‘Strong commitment and engagement, accountability and positive collaboration.’
‘Strong technical knowledge and skills, together with soft skills, leadership and emotional intelligence. The team is absolutely committed and engaged’
‘The team is responsive and very focussed on the client’s business needs and objectives, with a broad knowledge of EU and competition law, particularly as it pertains to IP.’
‘The firm, particularly Vittorio Cerulli Irelli, is extremely easy to work with, cooperative and inclusive, making work on a cross border matter a pleasure. Vittorio worked long and hard to make sure the matter was moving forward quickly and efficiently’.
Industria Chimica Emiliana SpA
Prodotti Chimici e Alimentari SpA
Nokia Italia SpA (Now Microsoft mobile) and Sony Mobile
Saint Gobain SpA
- Representing leading service providers Supermatic and Serim in hard-core cartel proceedings brought by Italian Antitrust Authority and subsequent appeal proceedings.
- After having successfully represented Industria Chimica Emiliana and Prodotti Chimici e Alimentari in proceedings before the Italian Antitrust Authority, the team secured the dismissal of related damage claims in excess of €25m.
- Represented Nokia (Microsoft Mobile) and Sony in proceedings before the Italian Supreme Administrative Court.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
With well-established and highly regarded recognised counsel Emilio De Giorgi at the helm, the antitrust team at Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato enjoys a strong position in the Italian market. Amongst the areas in which the department operates, merger control, cartel investigations (especially in the telecoms and sport sectors), and state aid deserve a specific mention. The Italian office has strong connections to the international firm's London and Brussels practices through the engagement of Antonio Bavasso and Francesca Miotto respectively.
Emilio De Giorgi
‘The team are very capable on both merger and antitrust advisory.’
‘Emilio Di Giorgi provides excellent advice. He is very commercial and understands the context in which Italian companies operate. He also develops a good rapport with clients.’
‘They are at the same time highly experienced and flexible, being able to understand and meet the company’s needs.’
‘Emilio De Giorgi is very competent, available, cooperative and above all, he has a pragmatic approach and an exceptional business acumen.’
20th Century Fox
MP & Silva
Vaillant Group Italia
- Successfully advised DS Smith, a leading international supplier of recycled packaging, in relation to two cartels in the Italian corrugated board and related packaging sector for alleged price fixing and market manipulation.
- Advising Wind Tre, Italy’s third largest mobile operator, in relation to a cartel investigation alleging coordination between various telephone operators (TIM, Vodafone, Fastweb and Wind Tre) for colluding on billing cycles for fixed-line and mobile services.
- Advising MP & Silva in relation to (i) an appeal before an administrative court; and (ii) in three disputes before the Court of Milan, in relation to a follow-on claim.
Counsel Federico Marini-Balestra leads Bird & Bird's Italian competition and EU law team, which combines professionals from the firm's dispute resolution, regulatory and administrative departments, covering cases relating to cartels, merger control and state aid law - with particular emphasis on the correlation with IP matters and compliance.
‘Problem solving, down-to-earth’
‘Ability to understand a situation and dig deep into the details without losing the bigger picture’
‘Arturo Leone, Federico Marini Balestra and Lucia Antonazzi are smart, quick and innovative lawyers’
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
Consorzio Parmigiano Reggiano
Dompé Farmaceutici S.p.A.
Anheuser-Busch InBev S.p.A.
Perform Investment (DAZN)
Tempur Sealy Italia S.r.l.
Widex Italia S.r.l./Widex A/S
Laika Caravans S.p.A.
Yara Italia S.p.A.
- Representing Telecom Italia in a complex Article 102 case involving investments in new networks
- Assisted the client in the context of regulatory proceedings of public consultation resulting in the approval of the new guidelines on the withdrawal fees charged to end-users, adopted by the Italian Communications Authority, pursuant to the 2017 Competition Act.
- Representing Telecom Italia in the appeal vs ‘free modem’ rules intended to make customers switches easier.
Caiazzo Donnini Pappalardo & Associati – CDP Studio Legale
'Internationally renowned competition lawyer' Rino Caiazzo is at the head of Caiazzo Donnini Pappalardo & Associati – CDP Studio Legale's department. The team, which comprises four other lawyers advises clients both in and out of court in matters involving cartels, abuses and merger filings. Energy, transport and pharmaceutical are the main sectors of activity.
‘Excellent knowledge and experience put into practice to best advice to do business with the correct management of the risks’
‘Rino Caiazzo is one of the best lawyers in competition law presently in Italy. He has been advising us in the last 15 years, always with outstanding results. His deep knowledge and practice with the antitrust authorities and experience in the sector make him a very valuable partner when operating in the market.’
Bristol Myers Squibb
CASSA CENTRALE RAIFFEISEN DELL’ALTO ADIGE S.p.A.
Hitachi Rail STS S.p.A and Hitachi Rail S.p.A.
- Assistance to MAN (Wolkswagen) before the Court of Milan/Rome/Naples for the request of damages deriving from the truck cartel ascertained by the decision of the European Commission.
- Assistance to Ansaldo STS and Hitachi Rail before the EU Commission and other competent international jurisdictions in the procedure for the appraisal of the Siemens/Alstom proposed merger, that resulted in the prohibition of the transaction by the EU Commission.
- Legal assistance and filing with the Italian Competition Authority of the concentration consisting in the creation of the banking group named Gruppo Bancario Cooperativo delle Casse Raiffeisen.
Dentons's Rome-based EU and competition practice has a track record of work on complex cases of consumer law, state aid and merger control, as well as antitrust issues, public and private enforcement and audits. Led by Michele Carpagnano, the team has built up comprehensive antitrust experience across the telecoms, transportation and energy sectors, among others.
‘The team is composed by smart and business-oriented people. The antitrust practice at Dentons provides the best value for money in the Italian legal market’
‘Michele Carpagnano is absolutely competent and resilient, very reactive and constantly available.’
‘Michele Carpagnano is a stand-out professional in Italy and Europe.’
L’Oréal Italia S.p.A.
Yamaha Music Europe GmbH
Avis Budget Italia S.p.A.
Whirlpool EMEA S.p.A.
Accorhotels Italia S.r.l.
Tech Data Europe GmbH
KPS Capital Partners LP
NB Aurora Sa Sicaf-Raif
AITEC- Associazione Italiana Tecnico Economica del Cemento
- Legal assistance to Italcementi S.p.A. in relation to an internal antitrust audit.
- Provided strategic and legal advice to L’Oréal Italia S.p.A. in relation to the commercial policy vis à vis its distribution network.
- Assisting Volotea SA in front of the EU General Court in challenging a European Commission’s decision in relation to an alleged state aid.
LC&P - Lipani Catricalà & Partners
At LC&P - Lipani Catricalà & Partners, recent expansion in M&A, public tenders, public law and regulatory work has had a positive impact on the domestic firm's antitrust practice. The team is led by Antonio Catricalà, former chairman of the Italian Competition Authority, and Carlo Edoardo Cazzato, who has strong court experience before both the EU Commission and the Italian Competition Authority. Another key area for the firm is private enforcement.
Antonio Catricalà; Carlo Edoardo Cazzato
RTI – Televisive Italiane S.p.A./Mediaset Premium S.p.A.
Net Service S.p.A.
Associazione Italiana Scatolifici CIS
Roma Multiservizi S.p.A.
Mr Mario Virano (General Director of TELT SAS – Tunnel Euralpin Lyon Turin sas)
Consiglio Notarile di Roma, Velletri e Civitavecchia and Associazione Notariato Romano Dismissioni Immobiliari (ASNODIM)
Fiamma 2000 S.p.A.
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
Unipol Gruppo Finanziario S.p.A., UnipolSai Assicurazioni S.p.A., Compagnia Assicuratrice Linear S.p.A.
CONFIDA – Associazione Italiana Distribuzione Automatica
Mediaset Premium S.p.A.
Consorzio Interuniversitario CINECA
Port Mobility S.p.A.
Poste Italiane S.p.A.
Imbal Carton S.r.l.
Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio F.I.G.C.
Terna S.p.A. – Rete Elettrica Nazionale
Novo Nordisk S.p.A.
- Advised Associazione Italiana Scatolifici – ACIS in order to submit several reports to the ICA, aimed at claiming alleged anticompetitive conducts in violation of Article 101 TFEU, regarding markets of corrugated sheet and related packaging.
- Assisting Terna S.p.A. – Rete Elettrica Nazionale in a follow-on ction for antitrust damages.
- Advising SuperBeton S.p.A. on the judgment before the Italian Administrative Court in order to obtain the annulment of the sanction imposed by the ICA for alleged cartel.
Linklaters has a four-strong competition team based in Milan, comprising Lucio D’Amario and three associates. The team gives advice on areas including merger control, anti-competitive agreements and abuses of dominant position.
Tonucci & Partners
The young, eclectic Rome-based EU and competition department at Tonucci & Partners has evolved throughout the years from a practice that was ancillary to corporate (mainly involved in merger notifications) to a standalone operation, assisting during Italian and European competitive proceedings, compliance cases, market investigations and advising on consumer protection matters. The main lawyers in the team are Giorgio Alù Saffi and Giovanni Pallone, both of who have multi-faceted experience in the transport, shipbuilding, food and beverage sectors.
Giorgio Alù Saffi; Giovanni Pallone
Infront Sports & Media AG
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
Heineken Italia S.p.A.
Europcar Italia S.p.A.
Goldcar Italy S.r.l.
Aniasa – Associazione Nazionale Industria dell’Autonoleggio e Servizi Automobilistici
Aeroporti di Roma S.p.A.
Autostrade per l’Italia S.p.A.
Farma 1000 S.r.l.
AS Roma S.p.A.
The Dow Chemical Company
Rail Cargo Austria AG
Federazione Italiana Rugby
- Continued assistance to Fincantieri and its controlled entities with respect to any matter, relevant from an EU/ domestic antitrust point of view, arising in the last 12 months in the context of the activities of the entire group
- Assistance to Amadori, the leading retail supplier of poultry in Italy, in a consumer protection law proceeding concluded without any fine.
- Assistance to SKS 365, one of the major player in Italy in the field of physical and on-line gaming and betting, with reference to a variety of matters concerning the compliance of various aspects of its commercial policies (including advertising) with Italian consumer protection law and with reference to the so-called “advertising ban”, recently introduced in Italy as for betting and gaming activities.