BonelliErede's integrated antitrust group covers proceedings involving restrictive practices and abuses of dominant position; vertical relationships and the distribution and sale of products and services; private antitrust enforcement; and compliance programmes. In February 2021, the firm set up a dedicated competition litigation task force, bringing together competition law and civil litigation expertise. Francesco Anglani coordinates the competition and antitrust team, which further showcases former practice head Claudio Tesauro – who acts in cases involving concentrations, restrictive agreements and abuses of dominant position – and EU, antitrust and regulatory law specialist Sara Lembo.
EU and competition law in Italy
‘The key strengths of the BonelliErede team are professionalism, proactivity, and the ability to understand complex realities and organisational choices.‘
‘The BE team is very responsive to requests and highly skilled.‘
‘A lot of experience in this field, using reliable and equally competent consultants in the various countries covered.‘
‘High levels of competence, constant partner involvement and responsiveness.‘
‘The qualities that I was able to appreciate most in Francesco Anglani during this particularly complex period, were competence, professionalism, constant availability at minimum notice, and the ability to understand and adapt to complex organisational realities.‘
‘High levels of professionalism and specialisation, client attention and care, and a willingness to provide support in real time.‘
‘Claudio Tesauro and Sara Lembo are very competent and highly reactive.‘
‘Sara Lembo is appreciated for the punctuality of her work and broad competences.‘
Fiorentina, Torino, Chievo, Pescara, Empoli, Perugia and Palermo (football teams)
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro
Unione di Banche Italiane
Ernst & Young
FIAMM Energy Technology
Facile.it Broker di Assicurazioni
- Assisted EssilorLuxottica with the notification of its acquisition of GrandVision to the European Commission.
- Assisted Enel Energia with proceedings before the Consiglio di Stato (administrative Court of last instance) that challenge a decision in which the ICA sanctioned the Enel Group for an alleged abuse of dominant position.
- Acted for Fiorentina, Torino, Chievo, Pescara, Empoli, Perugia and Palermo (football teams) in follow-on damages actions, which related to an anti-competitive agreement between MP Silva, IMG, and B4 Capital/BE4 Sarl/B4 Italia for tenders for the assignment of broadcasting rights.
Chiomenti consistently acts on Italian and European competition law matters, including abuses of dominant positions and cartels, and merger notifications before the Italian Competition Authority (ICA) and the European Commission (EC). It also assists with state aid proceedings and complex litigation. The practice is co-led by EU and Italian competition expert Cristoforo Osti, and Gian Michele Roberti, who routinely acts for companies, state administrations and EU institutions in proceedings. The second line of key advisers include EU law specialist Guido Bellitti, the 'excellent' Marco Serpone and experienced counsel Alessandra Prastaro.
‘High levels of professionalism, availability and the ability to see opportunities.‘
‘The firm is able to provide assistance in all areas of law, making use of extremely competent professionals who are capable of working in a team.‘
‘High levels of competence, dedication, passion for the subject, timeliness and flexibility.‘
‘A multidisciplinary team that has great experience and prestige.‘
‘Cristoforo Osti and senior associate Patrick Actis Perinetto are highly trained in competition law, and have a great deal of experience, which proves invaluable – they are also characterised by their availability and professionalism.‘
‘Gian Michele Roberti’s experience is unique in this area.‘
‘The choice to work with Gian Michele Roberti is guided by his understanding of the dynamics that are inherent in litigation before the European Court of Justice.‘
‘Marco Serpone is excellent, as is the entire team.‘
A Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite
Aeroporti di Roma
Airbnb Ireland UC
Amministrazione Straordinaria di Alitalia LAI
Apollo Management International
Asterion Industrial Partners
Autostrade per l’Italia
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Banca Popolare di Bari
Best in Parking
BMW Bank (Italian branch)
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Compañía de Distribución Integral Logista Holdings
CONAI Consorzio Nazionale Imballaggi
Coop Alleanza 3.0
Coop Centro Italia
Cooperativa Sociale Nuova Sair Onlus
Crédit Agricole Cariparma
F2i ER 1
F2i-Fondi Italiani per le infrastrutture
Finaf (Angelini Group)
Industrie Riunite Odolesi
ION Investment Group
ITA – Italia Trasporto Aereo
KKR & Co.
Philip Morris Italia
Portobello Capital Gestion
Regione Autonoma della Sardegna
Rete Ferroviaria Italiana
Reti Televisive Italiane
Senior Italia Federanziani
SIAE – Società Italiana Autori e Editori
Sojitz Marine & Engineering Corporation
SUEZ Groupe SAS
Toyota Financial Corporation
Toyota Financial Services
Toyota Motor Italia
Zurich Insurance Company (Rappresentanza Generale per l’Italia)
- Assisting KKR & Co in relation to proceedings opened by the ICA to assess the alleged anti-competitive features of a co-investment project, which concerned the possibility of third parties being granted access to a new ultra-broadband network being deployed by FiberCop (jointly controlled by TIM and KKR).
- Assisting Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena with an appeal of an ICA decision, which found that Banca Monte dei Paschi (alongside other important banks in Italy) would have put in place an anticompetitive system for the provision of the SEDA-SEPA electronic database alignment service.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP's Italy practice routinely advises on restrictive agreements, state aid and abuse of dominant positions. The team also acts before the EC and ICA on M&A, and is experienced in administrative and civil litigation. Senior counsel and former partner Mario Siragusa is an EU and Italian competition specialist; Marco D’Ostuni focuses on competition law and regulation; and Matteo Beretta is a European and Italian antitrust expert. Also highly regarded are experienced counsels Cesare Rizza and Gianluca Faella, along with senior attorneys Saverio Valentino and Fausto Caronna.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent antitrust team – at the very top, and with the best and unique management and management strategy.‘
‘Accountability, speed, completeness, analysis and solutions.‘
‘Hands-on at all levels and great collaboration with clients.‘
‘Trust and standing with the authorities, and the team is always available and competent.‘
‘Constant presence of a partner, efficiency in providing precise and accurate answers, and a willingness to relate with colleagues from other firms. It is also significant that opinions are, by default, drawn up in English.‘
‘The Cleary team is made up of excellent professionals, whose strengths are, first and foremost, profound competence in this area, as well as the ability to address and solve clients’ needs in a pragmatic way.‘
‘Very fast and efficient in following up on clients’ needs at any time.‘
‘Senior counsel Mario Siragusa, Marco D’Ostuni and counsel Gianluca Faella are a unique team that is difficult to compare with others.‘
Telecom Italia – TIM
Santander Consumer Bank
Fondo Interbancario di Tutela dei Depositi
Assilea – Associazione Italiana Leasing
F Hoffmann-La Roche
Ferrovie dello Stato
Servizio Elettrico Nazionale
- Assisted Clarios Italia, which is active in the sale of lead batteries for vehicles and industrial applications, with an investigation launched by the ICA in December 2019.
- Defended TIM against a large-value civil claim for damages, which was brought by Open Fiber in connection with alleged anti-competitive conduct involving ultra-broadbrand services.
- Successfully represented Philips, Philips Innovations, Philips Medical Systems Nederland and parent company Koninklijke Philips in proceedings before the ICA, in relation to the alleged existence of an abuse of a dominant position in the hi-tech diagnostic imaging device maintenance market.
ADVANT Nctm's Milan-based antitrust and competition practice routinely works alongside the firm's Rome and Brussels offices. The department also regularly collaborates with the firm's shipping, international trade, IP, administrative law, public procurement, M&A, corporate, and regulatory and compliance groups. Heading the team, Luca Toffoletti assists with investigative procedures, appeals, antitrust actions, precautionary proceedings and antitrust compliance. Further integral to the practice are Alberto Toffoletto, who frequently acts in private antitrust litigation; and Italian and EU competition law expert Francesco Mazzocchi, a recent hire from Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria.
‘Great competence and listening skills.‘
‘High levels of professionalism, diligence and fairness.‘
‘Availability to listen and good responsiveness have particularly impressed me; moreover, they gave me the impression of really protecting the interests of clients, even at the expense (at times) of more important work for them.‘
‘Honest in the billing.‘
‘Great for its very high levels of professionalism in different branches of law.‘
‘Luca Toffoletti provides great value in the antitrust area. I have had quality responses and work from him.‘
‘Luca Toffoletti has the ability to establish empathic relationships with all interlocutors, and to bring the right calm and reflexivity (even during very tense situations).‘
‘Francesco Mazzocchi was able to interpret our needs and follow up in a timely and professional manner.‘
Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A
De Agostini Scuola
- Assisted Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A with the definition and management of a recent competitive procedure for broadcasting rights, in order to ensure their compliance with competition and regulatory rules.
- Assisted Vodafone Italia with the follow-up phase (after obtaining conditional clearance in March 2020) of the European Commission, in relation to a joint venture established with Telecom Italia concerning the physical infrastructure supporting 4G and 5G mobile networks.
- Assisted De Agostini Scuola before the ICA, in connection with an alleged infringement of Article 101 TFEU that involved the implementation of vertical restraints by the four main Italian publishing groups operating in the adopted school textbooks market.
Clifford Chance's seven-strong Italian competition practice is sought out for its assistance with anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant proceedings and merger control. The department also advises on foreign investment, state aid, consumer protection and private enforcement matters. Heading the antitrust department in Italy, Luciano Di Via has longstanding experience in antitrust and regulatory matters including state aid and Golden Power matters; his career also includes approximately ten years at the ICA. At senior associate level, Pasquale Leone focuses on the insurance, credit, energy, telecoms, and transport and logistics sectors.
Liquigas (SHV Group)
- Acted for General Electric Healthcare Italia in an investigation launched by the ICA into an alleged abuse of dominant position in the Italian market for diagnostic instruments and maintenance services.
- Assisted Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets with the antitrust and Golden Power filing of the acquisition of a controlling stake in the corporate capital of Open Fiber from Enel.
- Advising Italia Trasporto Aereo (a newco promoted and funded by the Italian Ministry of Economy) on an ongoing project that aims to acquire the assets of Alitalia in Extraordinary Administration.
Assisting Italian and international clients with the full gamut of antitrust and competition law, DLA Piper‘s recent experience includes cartel investigations and appeals, merger control matters, antitrust litigation, compliance programmes, EU law and consumer protection, and Golden Power procedures. In 2021, the firm launched Aiscension, a groundbreaking AI-enabled service designed to find cartel risks within corporations. Co-leading the group are Alessandro Boso Caretta, who is highly focused on the technology, telecoms, life sciences, transportation and energy and networks sectors; and competition, EC and consumer protection law expert Domenico Gullo.
‘A team that is divided by specialisation but with strong integration between sectors.‘
‘The ability to manage clients with complex needs is evident.‘
‘Availability with great levels of professionalism.‘
‘They have excellent preparation and knowledge of our sector, with the ability to interact effectively with complex and multinational organisations like ours.‘
‘The team is well-balanced, with the right flexibility, and capable of providing clear and pragmatic answers with a strategic vision that gives added value to the company.‘
‘I have been working with great satisfaction for some time with partner Alessandro Boso Caretta, an expert in competition and regulation. Thanks to his invaluable support, we have achieved significant success in certain antitrust disputes.‘
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta: great professionalism, availability and understanding of our business.‘
‘Alessandro Boso Caretta stands out from other professionals, particularly for his capacity for synthesis and clarity in dealing with issues.‘
Algeco (Modulaire Group)
Ondulati e Imballaggi del Friuli
Società Consortile Consorzi Agrari (Consorzi Agrari d’Italia)
United Parcel Service
Vodafone and Vodafone Automotive
- Acted for RCI Banque in obtaining the annulment of the decision by which the Italian Competition Authority asserted an alleged cartel based on the exchange of sensitive commercial information in the Italian market for the financing of the purchase of vehicles.
- Advised Telecom Italia on a merger control clearance in relation to the acquisition of certain businesses of the BT Group in Italy.
- Assisted Società Consortile Consorzi Agrari (Consorzi Agrari d’Italia) with obtaining antitrust clearance in relation to a new structure of four leading agricultural consortia.
Gianni & Origoni's competition practice is experienced in a range of industries, including highly regulated sectors such as financial services, pharmaceuticals, energy, telecoms and transport. The practice routinely handles merger notifications, cartel cases, abuses of dominance, and distribution law issues. Former ICA Legal Service head Piero Fattori leads the team, which includes competition law and economics specialist Alberto Pera; Eva Cruellas Sada, who regularly acts before the ICA; competition law expert Matteo Padellaro; and competition, market regulation and consumer protection specialist Salvatore Spagnuolo. Associate Andrea Pezza is a rising star.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gianni & Origoni offers a full service to its clients, and is able to provide legal advice on both technical matters and horizontal issues.‘
‘The expertise of the lawyers in this team makes the firm a point of reference for a wide range of antitrust issues, such as agreements, abuse of dominant positions, mergers, and the drafting of compliance programmes.‘
‘The firm’s service is completed by the excellent relations that the lawyers have with the administrative officials in charge of files.‘
‘Gianni & Origoni’s strengths include the multidisciplinary nature of its skills and the excellent assistance provided to clients.‘
‘The members of the GOP team are very competent and they advise clients with passion and flexibility. Besides the legal knowledge, they have a strong understanding of EU Institutions, so they are able to assist clients with choosing the most appropriate strategy, taking into consideration the topics and stakeholders involved.‘
‘Piero Fattori is a reference point for antitrust in Italy. His calm but pragmatic approach allows him to act as a benchmark for the market; and over the years he has established himself as a leading professional to turn to for the resolution of antitrust proceedings.‘
‘Paolo Fattori is greatly appreciated for his competence, precision and ability to highlight the various critical issues.‘
‘Salvatore Spagnuolo delivers quick responses and understands clients’ needs through a pragmatic approach; he also has high levels of knowledge of competition law in both Italy and the EU.‘
Assotelecomunicazioni – Asstel
Moby – CIN
- Assisted Telecom Italia in relation to the antitrust aspects surrounding the creation of FiberCop, a joint venture with KKR that will operate TIM’s secondary access network and oversee the deployment of a fibre secondary network in over 1.600 municipalities.
- Assisted Telecom Italia with the implementation of commitments attached to a decision by the EC, which cleared the acquisition of joint control over INWIT by Telecom Italia and Vodafone.
- Assisted Italgas Reti with an investigation launched by the ICA into ascertaining whether the company had abused its dominant position.
White & Case LLP Italy's competition practice was recently retained to assist with major cartel and abuse of dominance investigations, alongside merger control notifications and clearances of significant international transactions. Veronica Pinotti has extensive experience in the management of distribution networks, cartels and abuse of dominance, as well as state aid and regulated market-related issues, antitrust audits, and risk assessments of potential antitrust liabilities; and working exclusively in EU and national competition law, Martino Sforza was promoted to local partner in 2021. Patrizia Pedretti and Carlotta Frascoli are experienced associates.
‘White & Case is, in my opinion, one of the best international firms in Milan. The antitrust team is always very accurate, fast and proactive, and combines the highest quality consultancy with fast turnaround times and innovative solutions.‘
‘W&C’s approach is very pragmatic and well attuned to client’s needs. I found working with them a breeze.‘
‘We were very fortunate to have a dedicated team from White & Case (Milan) defend the company during an Italian antitrust investigation. They delivered on the aggressive stance we demanded in response to the outrageous allegations of the complainant, while keeping a prudent approach to ensure the expected outcome.‘
‘Its APP is specifically designed to provide timely assistance in the event of a dawn raid by the antitrust authorities – unique and useful in delicate moments such as surprise inspections.‘
‘Veronica Pinotti is a great expert in the sector and always very helpful.‘
‘Veronica Pinotti is a very strong attorney who has solid knowledge of antitrust law, but also with a strong business acumen. Her availability 24/7 is unmatched!‘
‘Veronica Pinotti has always been very careful as well as avant-garde. She truly believes that investing in new technologies and innovative ideas is also indispensable in the legal sector.‘
‘Veronica Pinotti has been supported for years by local partner Martino Sforza, a tireless worker and lawyer with unique ethics, skills and background. His work is extremely precise, accurate and of outstanding quality.‘
Davide Campari Milano
Energean Oil & Gas
Hyundai Motor Company
Japan Tobacco International
Fondazione Ronald McDonald Italia
PFH – Palladio Holding
Ralph Lauren Europe
Warner Bros Entertainment Italia
- Represented international scrap lead battery recycler, Eco-Bat, in a cartel proceeding initiated by the ICA for alleged collusive conduct.
- Defending Husky, the international manufacturer of PET container machines, in a proceeding initiated by the ICA for alleged breach of abuse of dominant position rules.
- Represented Nestlé in the EC notification and clearance of its acquisition (through a joint venture with competitor Lactalis) of certain assets of Parmalat, which are primarily located in Italy.
Ashurst's Italy practice is experienced in competition and EU law proceedings before the EC, ICA and national and EU Courts, including merger control, cartels and abuse of dominance matters. Working across Brussels and Milan, Italian competition and EU law practice head Denis Fosselard has over 20 years' experience in assisting European companies with behavioural and merger control cases, and acting in state aid investigations. Gabriele Accardo is an experienced counsel.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great variety in the service offered.‘
‘Excellent support in relation to taking business decisions.‘
‘Competence and professionalism.‘
‘Very fast and precise in their responses.‘
‘Extensive skills beyond the Italian and European borders.‘
The Juice Plus+ Company
The Juice Plus Company
- Assisted Alfa Acciai, Ferriera Valsabbia and Valsabbia Investimenti with proceedings that were re-opened by the European Commission against Italian steel manufacturers for alleged anti-competitive conduct in the steel reinforcement bar market.
- Assisting Alfa Acciai, Ferriera Valsabbia and Valsabbia Investimenti with a request for the reimbursement of default interest on a fine imposed by the European Commission.
- Assisted Babcock with administrative proceedings and a subsequent appeal of an ICA decision to fine the company for allegedly taking part in an anti-competitive agreement in the helicopter services market.
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie's Italian competition team covers cartel investigations, abuse of dominance, appeals against decisions of the competition authorities, and private antitrust enforcement cases. The group also assists with merger control, compliance programmes, unfair commercial practices, and assessing distribution networks. Andrea Cicala's workload includes determining the legitimacy of agreements and commercial practices; detecting anti-competitive conduct; investigations by competition authorities; and litigation before the ordinary courts.
Other key lawyers:
Mercedes Benz Financial Services Italia
- Acted for Mytaxi Italia in relation to the Council of State’s upholding grounds of appeal submitted by the ICA and Mytaxi, acknowledging the illicit nature of exclusivity provisions adopted through by-laws/internal regulations of Rome’s radio taxis, which preclude their taxi drivers from using a third-party app that puts users in contact with taxi drivers.
- Acted for IMG Worldwide and IMG Media in a damages follow-on action that was filed by three football teams, following a decision by the ICA concerning an alleged anti-competitive horizontal agreement.
- Assisted Mercedes Benz Financial Services Italia and Daimler with the appeal phase of a case before the Regional Administrative Court of Latium, which related to an ICA investigation into the existence of a secret horizontal cartel.
Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale's recent workload ranges from complex matters before the ICA and Italian administrative courts, to antitrust private enforcement, state aid, merger control and antitrust compliance. Heading up the antitrust and competition practice, 'highly trained and scrupulous professional' Alessandro Greco covers all areas of EU, regulatory and competition law; managing associate Gabriele Maria Polito's track record includes a stint working at the EC’s Legal Service.
‘A good full-service firm that is able to meet the needs of multinational companies on cross-border projects.‘
‘Eversheds Sutherland has large teams covering a wide variety of legal matters, with office locations across the globe that provide great international reach. The breadth and depth of expertise means they are able to support us on a range of issues and cover all our external legal requirements.’
‘Eversheds Sutherland has a diverse client base, and the team has really good knowledge and understanding of many different industries and sectors – invaluable when it comes to navigating industry-wide issues.’
‘Their lawyers are technically first class, and their advice and guidance are always on point – they really stand out as leaders in their field.‘
‘They provide great support on smaller local issues, and can also quickly assemble large teams with full project management support, which really helps to co-ordinate larger/cross-border projects.‘
‘Alessandro Greco is a highly trained and scrupulous professional, who has excellent communication skills.‘
‘Alessandro Greco recently provided us with a great deal of support on competition and consumer issues.‘
‘Alessandro Greco and managing associate Gabriele Maria Polito have been great at prioritising our issues, which have been urgent in nature; they have been readily available to discuss matters at short notice.‘
Kuwait Petroleum International
- Assisted Sensus Italia, and its sole shareholder Sensus Metering System (Lux Co 3), with a bid rigging case opened by the ICA into the water metre market.
- Assisting Manital group with litigation brought before the administrative courts, which challenges ICA findings into a bid rigging cartel investigation.
- Assisting Servizi Italia with the implementation of an antitrust compliance programme.
Gattai, Minoli, Partners' five-strong antitrust and consumer protection team has a successful track record in merger and behavioural antitrust cases, particularly in the energy, telecoms, finance, consumer goods, infrastructure and transportation sectors. Practice leader Silvia D’Alberti has longstanding experience in advising on EU and national competition law, both at advisory and litigation stages, while counsel Fabiana Campopiano's practice covers EU and Italian competition law, merger control and consumer protection.
Other key lawyers:
‘Simple and clear approach, availability and collaboration with the client.‘
‘Great professionalism, preparation and understanding of this practice area.‘
Barilla G e R Fratelli
BNP Paribas Securities Services
CVC Capital Partners
Eurizon Capital SGR
I P E M – Industria Petroli Meridionale
Metro Italia Cash & Carry
Toyota Motor Corporation
Vulcangas – Società Italiana Gas Liquidi
Bell Food Group
- Represented Siemens in an IAA-initiated antitrust investigation into an alleged exclusionary type of abuse of dominance in Italy’s maintenance of diagnostic imaging equipment market.
- Represented Toyota Motor Corporation in litigation before the Administrative Court of First Instance (TAR Lazio), which involved the judicial review of the IAA’s decision on an investigation into captive banks and related automotive groups, and the sale of vehicles by means of financial products.
- Assisted Eurizon SGR with the acquisition of sole control of Gruppo Servizi Associati, which entailed the assessment of complex antitrust issues.
Gatti Pavesi Bianchi Ludovici's practice is sought out for its expertise in concentrations, cartels, dominant position abuses, establishing and defending joint venture agreements, and pre-merger notifications. The group also assists with civil antitrust litigation at both Italian and EU level, state aid awards, antitrust audits, and compliance or training programmes. Highly regarded antitrust practitioner Stefano Grassani heads the department, which includes includes experienced counsels Andrea Torazzi and Lorenzo Picciano.
‘Very cohesive and prepared team with international specialisation, and able to solve any problem quickly and in depth.‘
‘Great for its ability to identify the legal issues, dissect them and find the most appropriate solution.‘
‘In-depth knowledge of industry, reliability, compliance during very challenging times, and solutions that are always innovative.‘
‘Professionalism and knowledge of the subject, availability and rapidity of assistance and feedback.‘
‘Great organisational skills.‘
‘Stefano Grassani is a champion – solid, very well prepared and hands-on.‘
‘Stefano Grassani is prepared, practical, always available and focused on the client’s objectives.‘
‘Counsel Lorenzo Picciano is very good!‘
S E A – Società per Azioni Esercizi Aeroportuali
Sogaer- Società di gestione aeroporto di Cagliari
Banco Popolare BPM
YOOX Net-a-Porter Group
Grandi Navi Veloci
Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria's practice is sought out for litigation, transactional and advisory matters. The group is particularly focused on state aid, and the four freedoms governing the movement of goods, persons, services and capital within the EU. It works in sectors such as healthcare/life sciences, energy, real estate, banking and finance, private equity/venture capital, retail, technology and environment. Edoardo Gambaro has broad competition, antitrust and EU law expertise.
‘Excellent knowledge of the subject matter and the sector in which the company operates.‘
‘Excellent competence and maximum availability for the client.‘
‘Edoardo Gambaro has good, pragmatic skills in identifying legal solutions for the case being considered.‘
Banca Popolare di Bari
Scuola Elementare Maria Montessori
Fondo Italiano d’Investimento
Several Private Parties
- Acted for Banca Popolare di Bari (as defendant) before the EU Court of Justice, in an appeal (filed by the EC) of a seminal EU General Court judgment on an alleged state aid granted to ailing bank Tercas.
- Assisting Federalberghi, the Association of Italian hotels, with several EU and competition law- related matters, including two referrals for a preliminary ruling before the EU Court of Justice made by the Italian supreme administrative jurisdiction (Council of State), which concern the applicability to Airbnb of a tax statute on short rents.
- Represented the appellants (Scuola Elementare Maria Montessori) before the European Court of Justice in a state aid case relating to a tax exemption for municipal tax on real property (ICI), granted by Italy to non-commercial bodies.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
Hogan Lovells International LLP's Italian antitrust, competition and economic regulation team is based both in Milan and Rome, while also housing a practice in Brussels. In addition to supporting the corporate and banking legal practice groups, the standalone department can boast strong relationships throughout the firm's international network and is focused predominantly on public enforcement litigation. Sabrina Borocci advises on Italian and European antitrust, competition and merger control law.
‘In the area of antitrust compliance, the firm possesses high levels of competence, technical knowledge of the subject and professionalism.‘
‘Compared to other firms, there is excellent client orientation within the industrial sector, and an ability to understand business dynamics.‘
‘Ability to listen to clients’ needs and align them with the guidelines provided.‘
‘Over time, Hogan Lovells has been able to position itself as a partner of absolute value for tech companies, fully understanding their external and internal dynamics, working on key issues to enrich collaboration, and equipping itself with tools that are in step with the times.‘
‘Seamless collaboration with other departments of the firm makes Hogan Lovells’ professional service standout.‘
‘Sabrina Borocci delivers solid guarantees of competence with a willingness to compare and continuously study the issues under discussion. She is genuinely curious and passionate about legal issues, which stimulates conversation and facilitates the client’s strategic thinking.‘
‘The whole of Sabrina Borocci’s team displays seriousness and extensive technical expertise in this area.‘
‘Perfect alignment with the principal partner, Sabrina Borocci.‘
GE Medical Systems Italia
GE Healthcare Italia
GE Medical Systems SCS
Unilever Italia Mkt Operations
Vodafone Group Services
Airbnb Ireland Unlimited Company
BNP Paribas Cardif
Boehringer Ingelheim Italia
Nintendo of Europe
- Assisted Unilever Italia Mkt Operations with a preliminary ruling before the European Court of Justice, originating from a referral of the Italian Supreme Administrative Court for an alleged abuse of an exclusionary nature.
- Successfully advised Volkswagen Bank before the Italian Regional Administrative Court, which quashed an ICA decision that fined nine captive banks and their parent companies (as well as industry associations) for the exchange of commercially sensitive information.
- Assisting Prima Assicurazioni with proceedings opened by the ICA against price comparators and insurance companies, in relation to an alleged exchange of sensitive information involving motor vehicle liability policies.
Legance - Avvocati Associati has a strong track record in advising on mergers before the EC and ICA. The team is also experienced in investigations surrounding cartels, abuse of dominance, unfair commercial practices and advertising, along with civil litigation and proceedings before the Italian Advertising Self-Regulation Institute. Leading the team, Vito Auricchio is an antitrust and regulatory specialist, while competition law expert Guendalina Catti De Gasperi was promoted to counsel in 2021.
‘Preparation and high-level skills in the general Italian and EU aspects of competition.‘
‘Attention and understanding of the needs and specific contexts of the businesses in which clients operate.‘
‘The organisation of the teams allows the client to receive a highly professional and timely service, and meetings with the reference team allow management to make informed decisions and address legal issues effectively.‘
‘The constant support of the team allows for investigation of the issues and the most appropriate solutions.‘
‘Professionals who are very competent and professional.‘
‘Attentive to business needs, and they respond to requests in a timely and precise manner.‘
‘Excellent work was done by the lawyers.‘
‘Vito Auricchio is outstanding.‘
2i Rete Gas
Interactive Advertising Bureau Italia – IAB
- Assisted Nexi with the merger filing in Italy, Germany, Austria and Poland of a prospective integration with SIA.
- Assisted Grail before the Italian Competition Authority with the Italian merger control aspects surrounding its proposed sale to Illumina.
- Assisted Interactive Advertising Bureau Italia – Iab (as complainant) with an abuse of dominance investigation against Google.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe's workload covers the full gamut of antitrust behavioural and transactional matters, from business-critical merger control cases to precedent-setting competition law investigations and appeal proceedings. Heading the Italian antitrust and competition practice group from Rome, Pietro Merlino's practice covers abuse of dominance, cartels and restrictive practices, merger control, cooperation agreements, unfair commercial practices, and general EU law issues. Marianna Meriani is an experienced managing associate.
Other key lawyers:
‘A dynamic and helpful group.‘
‘In Orrick I found a great willingness to listen and excellent problem-solving skills. In particular, I appreciated their ability to transform legal matters into a language that is more understandable to me.‘
‘The firm’s lawyers are proactive and always available for discussions with clients.‘
‘Excellent preparation and speed, and I greatly appreciated the efforts made to understand the particular sector in which the company operates and the ability to identify the best strategy, which led to the success of the matter entrusted to the firm.‘
‘Pietro Merlino is a lawyer, who in addition to being highly competent, is very brilliant and imaginative. Thanks to this, he is able to identify winning solutions that are not within everyone’s reach.‘
‘Pietro Merlino and managing associate Marianna Meriani are both prepared and available.‘
‘I worked with Pietro Merlino and Marianna Meriani and I appreciated their availability and speed in preparing complex documents. Both are very prepared and proactive.‘
‘Marianna Meriani has an unusual professional maturity for her young age. She is always there for the client and this is highly appreciated.‘
F Hoffmann–La Roche
Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane
Crédit Agricole – Corporate & Investment Banking
Cerba Healthcare Italia
- Acting for pharmaceutical and biotech giant, F Hoffman-La Roche, in appeal proceedings that arose from an antitrust case concerning the alleged anti-competitive arrangement between the Roche and Novartis groups.
- Advising Enel X on the merger control aspects of the creation of a 50/50 joint venture with the Volkswagen group, which will deploy and then operate the first nationwide network of ultra-fast charging stations for electric vehicles in Italy.
- Assisting Cerba Italia with the complex merger control aspects of the €1.2bn acquisition of the Lifebrain Group, a direct competitor.
Pedersoli Studio Legale
Pedersoli Studio Legale's practice is particularly noted for its experience within the banking, financial and insurance sectors, where the team regularly advises on the full spectrum of competition law. Typical instructions include merger control, commercial practices, cartels, abuse of dominance, state aid and competition litigation. Heading up the competition department, Davide Cacchioli has a broad competition law practice, with Alessandro Bardanzellu predominantly focusing on Italian and EU competition law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely available and lucid in dealing with various issues.‘
‘The firm proved to be reliable and very well prepared.‘
‘A firm with an excellent ability to work in teams by integrating professionals with different specific skills.‘
‘An excellent firm – I was able to appreciate its profound effectiveness and versatility in the field of competition law, as well as in numerous other matters.‘
‘Excellent assistance, both from the point of view of professionalism and accuracy of the feedback – very timely even in pressing situations.‘
‘The experience gained with Davide Cacchioli and Alessandro Bardanzellu was particularly appreciated for the timeliness of intervention, proactivity in suggesting analyses and solutions, and the ability to clarify regulators’ key points.‘
‘Davide Cacchioli is great for his extremely high levels of professionalism and rich preparation, which have been developed both in terms of competition and unfair commercial practices.‘
‘Relations with Davide Cacchioli have been excellent from all points of view.‘
Davide Campari – Milano
Infrastrutture Wireless Italiane – INWIT
Credito Emiliano – CREDEM
Alpha Private Equity
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo with the merger control issues concerning a voluntary public exchange offer for Unione di Banche Italiane’s shares.
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo with the merger control issues surrounding the €1bn sale of a merchant acquiring business line to Nexi.
- Assisted Intesa Sanpaolo with the antitrust issues surrounding the transfer to BPER Banca of a going concern that comprises over 600 branches, which resulted from a tender offer launched by Intesa Sanpaolo for UBI Banca’s shares.
Trevisan & Cuonzo's competition law practice regularly acts in proceedings before the Italian and EU antitrust agencies, as well as in private enforcement actions before the Italian courts; and the team works closely with the firm's widely respected IP litigation department. Vittorio Cerulli Irelli is competition law head, Luca Trevisan leads the EU Law practice, and of counsel Mario Libertini is a leading name for EU and Italian competition law.
‘Very complete team with complementary skills.‘
‘They listen to clients, and try to propose the best possible strategy while delivering on time.‘
‘An excellent team that is characterised by strong tactical awareness and superb client service, as well as excellent legal and procedural awareness – a pleasure to work with.’
‘Trevisan & Cuonzo has a competition team which specialises in issues for tech companies, often where there is an IP angle (as the firm is a top-ranked IP litigation practice).‘
‘Brilliant lawyers with an excellent team spirit – a great firm that I have been working with for many years.‘
‘Professionals at the service of the client – a young and flexible team that is very proactive and with in-depth knowledge.‘
‘Vittorio Cerulli Irelli is a true collaborator and an excellent team player, as well as being on top of his game in dealing with the authorities when necessary – shrewd and experienced.‘
‘Vittorio Cerulli Irelli is a lawyer I would recommend without hesitation; he is knowledgeable, personable and committed. Within the past year, I have recommended him to a major client in the tech sector.‘
Industria Chimica Emiliana
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co
Organizzazione di Produttori Giuliano
- Representing OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co in a complex, multi-jurisdictional patent and competition law litigation against a renowned patent assertion entity.
- Represented Industria Chimica Emiliana (and its subsidiary Prodotti Chimici e Alimentari) before the Italian Antitrust Authority.
- Assisted O P Giuliano, an organisation of fruit and vegetable producers, which is involved in an antitrust case before the Italian Competition Authority for alleged unfair commercial practices.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani
The partners at De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani have longstanding EU and competition law experience. Roberto A Jacchia's practice includes acting for pharmaceutical, gaming, and food and beverage multinationals, while Antonella Terranova frequently handles merger and FDI filings, as well as defence-side cartel and abuse of dominance cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team delivers excellent quality and is very knowledgeable about competition law matters.‘
‘Always available, excellent connoisseurs of the subject and the market of interest, precise and punctual in their analysis, and attentive to detail.‘
‘Possibility of direct interaction with key partners.‘
‘Availability of professionals with an aptitude for problem solving.‘
‘Roberto A Jacchia is a leading practitioner, who is knowledgeable and very well respected in this area – certainly someone to trust.‘
‘Roberto A Jacchia has great experience and knowledge. An attentive and scrupulous professional, he is particularly attentive to clients’ needs.‘
Rizzani de Eccher
Stanley International Betting
Universal Tobacco Corp
- Assisted Stanleybet with obtaining from the Council of State (on behalf of European bookmaker Stanleybet) a reference to the Court of Justice, for a preliminary ruling in a case concerning the granting of the instant lotteries’ concession, which was renewed in favour of incumbent Lottomatica.
- Represented Universal Tobacco (and its Italian subsidiary Deltaphina) in relation to purchasing policies with tobacco leaf growers, including vertical practices and agreements, and antitrust compliance.
- Defended Rizzani de Eccher in relation to a large cartel investigation.
Dentons' Italy group advises national and multinational companies on all aspects of Italian and EU competition law, consumer matters, state aid, merger control, FDI screening, and the antitrust aspects of tenders and market regulations. Heading the Italy competition and antitrust group, Michele Carpagnano regularly acts before the ICA and EC.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competence, clarity, support and speed are the strengths and key skills of the team.‘
‘They are able to meet needs in order to find solutions that can best satisfy the client.‘
‘Highly qualified, but at the same time able to use simple language for interlocutors who do not come from the legal/competition law field.‘
‘Cordial presence, but with a high professional profile and very precise response times and compliance with work schedules.‘
‘An excellent work organisation.‘
‘Michele Carpagnano stands out for his in-depth knowledge of different sectors, which makes him particularly quick to understand different dynamics and, consequently, the risk profiles where it is a priority to intervene.‘
‘Michele Carpagnano has excellent knowledge of this area: maximum availability, high degree of understanding of the client’s needs, and a strong network of relationships in organisations and institutions.‘
‘The strength of the antitrust practice is characterised by Michele Carpagnano and his expertise.‘
International Fruit Genetics
Shenzhen Invenland Investment Holdings Co
Avis Budget Italia
Provincia Autonoma di Trento
- Assisting International Fruit Genetics with proceedings concerning the alleged violation of Article 62 of Law Decree 1/2012, which regulates commercial relations in the agri-food chain.
- Assisting Piombifera Italiana with an investigation initiated by the Antitrust Authority to verify the existence of alleged anti-competitive conduct in relation to the purchase of spent lead accumulators in Italy.
- Assisting IKAV with a Golden Power assessment and filing, in relation to a €500m investment in the construction of nine gas power plants (developed by Metaenergia for the Italian peak capacity market).
Osborne Clarke regularly advises on anti-competitive behaviour, such as investigations into cartels and abuse of dominance. The team is also active in private enforcements and merger filings, and fields copyright and consumer law experts. Enrico Fabrizi's track record includes working for several years at the Italian Antitrust Authority (IAA).
‘Great for the preparation and reliability of its lawyers, combined with high availability.‘
‘Superb competence and reliability.‘
‘Manages to adapt legal solutions to corporate realities in a balanced manner.‘
‘The team is very knowledgeable in competition law issues, both at Italian and European level, and combines deep theoretical knowledge with longstanding practical experience.‘
‘I very much appreciated their great sensitivity in finding pragmatic solutions.‘
‘In addition to the undisputed competence, I particularly appreciated the seriousness of Enrico Fabrizi, who always envisaged the real chances of success objectively, without being conditioned by the potential economic interests of the firm in carrying out certain actions.‘
‘Enrico Fabrizi is a professional with great flexibility, as well as considerable intellectual honesty.‘
‘Senior associates Valeria Veneziano and Angelo Molinaro are very good, dedicated lawyers.‘
APA – Associazione Produttori Audiovisivi
Credem – Credito Emiliano
CNS – Consorzio Nazionale Servizi
Grendi Trasporti Marittimi
- Acted for Pometon, a supplier of metal powders and granules, in relation to a so-called hybrid settlement case that involved appealing to the EU General Court, successfully persuading it to reduce a fine by 40%.
- Assisted CNS-Consorzio Nazionale Servizi with appealing a decision of the IAA, which related to a cartel investigation into the largest tender procedure ever issued by a public administration in the EU.
- Representing Watertech, an Italian manufacturer of water meters, in IAA proceedings involving an alleged cartel in public tenders issued by operators of integrated water services.
Pavia e Ansaldo
Fielding 'highly trained professionals from a technical-legal point of view', Pavia e Ansaldo recently promoted core member of the EU and competition team, Maria Rosaria Raspanti, to senior associate. Routinely instructed on several mandates for Colt Technology, Filippo Fioretti is well known as a competition adviser to the telecoms sector.
‘The team ensures maximum professionalism and availability.‘
‘Highly trained professionals from a technical-legal point of view; each issue is examined in depth from every aspect, including economic and regulatory ones, in order to provide the client with the best solution from a commercial point of view.‘
Wolters Kluwer Italia
Several major taxi unions and taxi companies
Association of Local Democracy Agencies
DeA Capital Alternative Funds
- Assisting Standard & Poor with the establishment and implementation of an antitrust compliance programme.
- Advising Permobil, a Swedish manufacturer of specialised wheelchairs, on the competition aspects of its acquisition of shares in Rehateam and Progeo.
- Advised DeA Capital Alternative Funds on the competition aspects of a deal aimed at ultimately acquiring a majority shareholding in Zephyr Group.
Portolano Cavallo fields sector experts in pharmaceuticals, life sciences media, TLC, automotive, and fashion and luxury. The practice is led at counsel level by Enzo Marasà, whose experience includes representing multinational companies in cartel and state aid cases, and Irene Picciano, who has approximately 25 years' EU and competition law experience.
‘Strong experience, positive attitudes, flexible minds and strong skills.‘
‘The firm is very dynamic and forward-looking, and has strong and solid knowledge of the new digital and technological markets (unlike many other top-ranked traditional firms.‘
‘A very practical firm that focuses on clients’ needs.‘
‘Excellent technical skills and in-depth knowledge of the sector.‘
‘Counsel Enzo Marasà is a great strategic thinker, who was able to understand our business model and explain the regulatory process to us in fluent English – a great sense of humour as well, and he led our strategy to a favourable outcome.‘
‘Enzo Marasà is an excellent lawyer. He is very responsive and provides very helpful and practical advice. The working atmosphere is also always very pleasant.‘
‘I have had the opportunity on several occasions to cooperate on EU and competition law dossiers with counsel Irene Picciano – she has great experience in these issues.‘
‘Irene Picciano is among the most brilliant professionals around for competition and EU law that I have had the opportunity to cooperate with – she manages to combine extreme technical expertise with in-depth knowledge of the dynamics of the markets concerned. She is strategically minded and always available.‘
The EU and Italian antitrust and regulatory practice at 3D Legal covers cartels, abuses and mergers; energy, telecoms and transport regulations; unfair commercial practices and clauses; antitrust and anti-bribery compliance programmes; and state aid. Gennaro d’Andria is experienced in EU and Italian competition law, unfair commercial practices and regulatory work.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato's Italian team, led by Italy and US-qualified counsel Emilio De Giorgi, advises on the full spectrum of antitrust matters in Italy, including merger control, cartels, market investigations, behavioural cases, litigation and state aid. Key associate Marco Lupoli specialises in competition law-related litigation and arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
‘They guarantee accuracy, careful reflection and the ability to read problems, relying upon their considerable professional experience at international level.‘
‘The team is constantly present, and knows how to grasp and enhance nuanced situations.‘
‘A&O’s Italian antitrust practice stood out for its ability to assist our company in matters presenting a high degree of complexity and sensitivity.‘
‘The team’s assistance was not limited to public enforcement before the AGCM; in fact, the team also assisted our company in the context of antitrust damage actions before the courts, demonstrating a high level of expertise.‘
‘We count on the team’s assistance during all the phases in which antitrust enforcement is typically articulated.‘
‘Emilio De Giorgi and his team are tireless artisans of law.‘
‘I appreciate Emilio De Giorgi’s tenacity for cases, proven experience, knowledge of the subject and ability to ask questions. It is an intellectual pleasure to deal with him professionally.‘
‘The team is led by Emilio De Giorgi, a highly experienced professional who is able to guide the client with great confidence and responsiveness; Emilio impressed us with his ability to act in antitrust damage actions. The team is also made up of associate Marco Lupoli, who despite his young age already proves to have considerable experience and knowledge of the subject.‘
Husky Injection Molding Systems
MP & Silva
- Assisting DS Smith with certain follow-on damages actions, as well as several appeal proceedings, in relation to two alleged cartels in the Italian corrugated board and related packaging sector.
- Assisting MP & Silva with appealing an Italian Antitrust Authority decision, after having successfully closed several attachment proceedings.
- Representing Scania in six disputes before the Courts of Milan, Rome and Naples, in relation to follow-on claims from over 50 plaintiffs that arose out of a European Commission Decision against Scania for collusion.
Bird & Bird's Italy team distinguishes itself through experience at the interface of competition law and IP; and it houses antitrust lawyers with notable sector expertise in technology and communications, life sciences, pharmaceuticals and luxury goods. Leading the competition and EU team, Federico Marini-Balestra was elevated to the partnership in 2020.
ZED Entertainments world
Special New Fruit Licensing
Leroy Merlin Italia
John Bean Technologies
- Assisting Telecom Italia with a complex Article 102 case involving investments in new networks.
- Assists BMW Group with antitrust issues on a daily basis.
- Assisting SNFL group with an abuse of economic dependency matter involving the marketing of patented plant varieties.
Caiazzo Donnini Pappalardo & Associati – CDP Studio Legale
Caiazzo Donnini Pappalardo & Associati – CDP Studio Legale's team frequently appears before: Italy's antitrust agency; administrative courts in judicial reviews; and ordinary courts for antitrust damages. It also has sector expertise in electronic communications, energy, finance, insurance, pharmaceuticals and transportation. Rino Caiazzo has longstanding experience in competition and regulatory matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘A boutique that is characterised by the standing of the partners.‘
‘Rino Caiazzo is a guru of antitrust and regulatory law. He has an innate ability to identify the key points, and anticipate the reasoning of authorities and judges.‘
Bristol Myers Squibb
MAN – Volkswagen
Grimaldi Studio Legale's team routinely advises on merger notifications, cartels and anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant positions, and compliance programmes and leniency. The practice also assists with state aid, unfair practices and misleading advertising, passenger rights and EU funds. Francesco Sciaudone heads the EU, competition and public law department.
‘Great skills and experience in competition law, arbitration and the amicable settlement. of disputes.‘
‘The key name is Francesco Sciaudone, a lawyer of international standing.‘
European Agency for Small and Medium Size Enterprises
European Commission (DG REFORM)
European Commission (Directorate General)
Municipality of Milan
SIS – Società Italiana Sementi
- Asssiting the European Commission (Directorate General) with the development of EU air transport policy.
- Assisting the European Commission (EC) with a study to distil principles and best practices, which concern the definition of relevant markets informing the review of the Market Definition Notice that the EC is currently undertaking.
- Awarded a contract by the European Commission (Directorate General for Mobility and Transport) to assess the compliance, consistency and barriers of national measures in the drones sector.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi's broad practice scope ranges from merger control, compliance or antitrust investigations and litigation, to consumer law investigations and disputes, public procurement and state aid. Of counsel Salvatore Lamarca regularly assists clients before the ICA, in addition to advising on EU law – particularly public procurement issues.
Airbus Helicopters Italia
Kentucky Fried Chicken
RATP (Régie Autonome Transports Parisiens)
Ticketmaster- Live Nation
- Assisted Ticketmaster with antitrust litigation, which related to an appeal by Ticketone against an AGCM decision on abuse of dominance.
- Assisted Airbus Helicopters with antitrust litigation before the Council of State, which involved complex EU law issues.
- Represented RATP (public transport operator) in complex litigation before the national courts and the European Court of Justice, in relation to the award of a public transportation licence and alleged violation of the EU regulatory framework and competition law.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons' Italy antitrust department was established in 2020 when the firm recruited of counsel and competition law expert Riccardo Pennisi from Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie. The practice's workload ranges from merger control assignments and assessment of agreements, to abuse of dominant position proceedings, antitrust litigation and compliance training.
‘The firm is very careful in its utilisation of technological innovations, especially in terms of data management and cost monitoring.‘
‘Of counsel Riccardo Pennisi has an extraordinary ability to understand the needs of business and manage them with adequate legal solutions.‘
‘Riccardo Pennisi combines great technical expertise with a remarkable and decidedly out-of-the ordinary client-oriented approach. He knows how to make the client feel protected, and he is always able to propose innovative solutions to the legal issues raised.‘
Fondo Italiano di Investimento
Wise Equity SGR
A Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite
Tonucci & Partners
Tonucci & Partners' competition and EU department assists Italian and foreign clients with a wide spectrum of Italian and EU-level matters. Heading up the department, Giorgio Alù Saffi is particularly focused on public utilities as well as energy sector and TLC-related regulatory issues, while Giovanni Pallone regularly acts in EC and ICA proceedings.
‘Boutique spirit with dedicated professionals.‘
‘Pragmatic and results-oriented.‘
‘I found a great readiness and availability, as well as a structured competence in the subjects dealt with – overall a very positive experience.‘
‘Highly qualified professionals, who are prompt in their feedback and always available to provide support.‘
‘Studio Tonucci stands out for its clear approach towards the client, for whom concrete solutions are proposed with definite timescales.‘
They understand clients’ needs and make concrete analyses of the scenarios and possible solutions, accompanying the client until a timely resolution is reached.‘
‘Never had such clear answers and such respect for deadlines. The firm always creates a unique and special relationship with the client. Very punctual, efficient, up to date and prepared, and they always offer tailor-made solutions.‘
‘Giorgio Alù Saffi and Giovanni Pallone always prove to be available and attentive to the clients’ needs.‘
Infront Sports & Media
- Assisted Fincantieri with a triple merger control clearance matter before the competition authorities of Italy, Albania and Malta, which concerned the acquisition of sole control by Fincantieri Infrastructure of two branches of Inso-Sistemi per le Infrastrutture Sociali.
- Assisted Infront before the Consiglio di Stato (the Supreme Administrative Court), following complex litigation pursuant to the IAA’s appealing of a TAR judgment (lower administrative court) that had annulled an IAA decision, which ascertained a cartel involving Infront, Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A, Sky and Mediaset.
- Assisting Advolis Orfis, as monitoring trustee for the Italian Antitrust Authority and EU Commission, with two different merger control cases, namely the acquisition of sole control over Barberini by Luxottica Group, and the joint control acquisition of INWIT by Telecom Italia and Vodafone.
Wlex's competition, regulatory and consumer protection department is headed up by Francesca Sutti, who has over 25 years' European and competition law experience. The practice's scope of work ranges from advising on cartels and abuse of dominant positions, to assistance with merger filings, and vertical and horizontal agreements.
Mediolanum Gestione Fondi SGR
Menarini Pharmaceutical Group