Planning and zoning in Israel
Agmon & Co. Rosenberg Hacohen & Co.'s planning and zoning group acts for a mix of corporations and public bodies. The group specialises in urban renewal and infrastructure planning, including Tama 38 projects, handling planning procedures, building licensing, compensation claims and criminal proceedings. Eyal Mamo and Ishai Itsikovich are advising the Caesarea Corporation and the Rothschild Foundation on the planning issues and sale of land concerning the development of 3,500 apartments in Or Akiva, for approximately $1.5bn. Avi Porten, who has previously served in numerous government positions in the planning and zoning field, acts for developers, private landowners and local municipalities.
Bezeq the Israeli Telecommunication Corporation Ltd. (TASE: BEZQ)
The Caesarea Corporation and the Rothschild Foundation
Nitsba Holdings 1995 Ltd.
Tree of Life City Market Residency / Faust Family
THE MLK JERUSALEM HOTEL AND SUITES COMPANY LTD
Holon Municipal Authority
ICC Jerusalem International Convention Center
ICL Corporate (Israel Chemicals TASE: ICL)
Tadiran Batteries Ltd
USA State Department
Paz Group (TASE: PZOL)
Jordache Israel Group
Shy-Im Carel Holdings Ltd.
- Acting for Bezeq in court hearings, as well as before licensing committees, district planning and building committees.
- Advising the Caesarea Corporation on the planning issues and sale of land concerning 3,500 apartments in the town of Or Akiva.
- Advising the developer of the Four Seasons Hotel on the development of a large project in Jerusalem, which comprises a luxury hotel with over 200 rooms and 30 residential units.
Fischer Behar Chen Well Orion & Co acts for clients including major development companies, NGOs and banks, on the full scope of planning and zoning matters, including new city plans, construction licensing and building permits. It also handles litigation arising in the space regarding objections and appeals. Amir Chen and Efrat Sharon are advising Z.F Building on the establishment of a new community in the Jerusalem hills ('Eden Hills') consisting of housing units, commercial areas and public areas. Chen's broad workload includes development projects, planning and zoning work, urban renewal projects and real estate litigation; Sharon is notable for her expertise advising clients throughout the entire planning process.
The Jewish agency for Israel
The Silverstein Company
Israel Roads – The National Infrastructure & Transportation Company Ltd.
Reit 1 Ltd.
Shikun & Binui Ltd.
Acro Real Estate Co. Ltd.
Amot Investments Ltd.
Almi Group Ltd.
Clal Industries Ltd.
Cash and Carry Ltd.
Gazit Globe Israel (Development) Ltd
Grapholit Printing Industries Ltd.
Harel Insurance Ltd.
Itzik Tshuva Group
Lodzia Rotex Investments Ltd.
Menora Insurance Ltd.
Mediterranean Car Agency (Samelet) Ltd.
Sufrin Investments Ltd.
Union Properties Ltd.
Ybox Real Estate Group
Zemach Hammerman Ltd.
Z.F. Construction Company Ltd.
- Advising Z.F Building on the establishment of a new community in the Jerusalem hills called “Eden Hills”.
- Advising Clal Industries, one of Israel’s leading investment companies, on a project on Clal’s land in the city of Nesher concerning an area of 250,000 square meters.
- Acting for Lodzia Rotex Investments on the promotion of a number of city plans in the B.S.R complex in the City of Bnei Brak, along with the initiation of an outline for planning process, with the objective of building two high-rise buildings in the complex.
Goldfarb Seligman & Co., which absorbed a large real estate team from Berkman Wechsler Bloom & Co, represents a range of private and government-owned companies. It primarily handles approvals for master zoning plans, licensing proceedings, and contentious matters including land expropriation and loss of value claims and tax disputes. The group is also well known for assisting with large-scale projects relating to energy and transport. Orna Verhovsky has significant experience handling the drafting and approval of plans for residential and commercial projects before the planning authorities and all courts in Israel.
Other key lawyers:
Bayside Land Corporation Ltd.
Neve Gad Ltd.
Gindi Friedman Real Estate Entrepreneurship Ltd.
Property and Building Group
Canada Israel Group
Dan Transportation Ltd.
Ayalon Highway Company Ltd.
Cross Israel Highway Ltd.
The Elad Group
Amot Investments Ltd.
Menivim – The New REIT Ltd.
NTA – Metropolitan Mass Transit System
Shapir Civil and Marine Engineering Ltd
Negev Natural Gas
Paz Ashdod Refinery Ltd.
Darom Natural Gas Ltd.
Israeli Properties Rental Corporation Ltd. (ISPRO)
El Al Israel Airlines Ltd.
New Lineo Cinema (2006) Ltd.
Rami Levi Chain Stores Hashikma Marketing 2006 Ltd.
Big Shopping Centers Ltd.
Magen David Adom In Israel (MDA)
Caesarea Edmond Benjamin de Rothschild Corporation Ltd.
The Arison Investment
K.B.A Town Builders Group
The Local Committee of Planning and Construction – Jerusalem District.
- Advising Canada Israel Group on several substantial projects, including a partnership to develop over 800 housing units alongside approximately 280,000 sqm of land for commercial use.
- Acting for Bayside Land Corporation Ltd. (“Gav Yam”) on its real estate activities.
- Acting for Dan Corporation and its subsidiaries, EMD Holdings, Real Estate, and Nahor, owners of large areas and several buildings in the Tel Aviv metropolitan area.
Hamburger Evron & Co. Law Offices & Notaries' 'quick, experienced and resourceful' team handles work across the field, with particular expertise in national master plans and TAMA 38 national outline plans. The group also represents clients, including individuals and corporations, in all types of disputes and negotiations regarding planning and zoning, spanning commercial and civil law, criminal law and administrative law. Haim Waintrob provides full service advise to developers and construction companies, which includes city building plans, plan approval proceedings and administrative appeals. Ronen Yardeni is advising Shikun & Binui Real Estate Development on a project to build a neighbourhood comprising 6,000 residential units in Kiryat Ata with an approximate value of NIS5bn. Miriam Donin-Shoob has experience advising local governments and tax authorities on real estate transactions, including planning and zoning matters.
‘The team is experienced, quick and resourceful.‘
Shikun & Binui Real Estate Development
Shikun & Binui Renewable Energy
Rubinstein Avraham & Co Building Co Ltd
Joint Venture of Shikun & Binui and The Meshulam Levinstein Group
Kardan Real Estate Ltd.
Metropolis (PAE) 2011 Urban Enterprises Ltd
The Shapir Group
Representation in tenders of “Buyers price”
Representation in a land betterment tax case
Nofim Projects Ltd.
Israel Land Development Company
Park Palmachim Ltd
The Israel Land Development Company (ILDC)
Plan 3700 Tel Aviv – representation of the Pozailov Family, Shikun&Binui, and hundreds of private real estate owners in the north-west of Tel Aviv
Representation of landowners in the ‘Sde-Dov’ airport evacuation
The ‘Hof Hatchelet’ plan
- Acting for Shikun & Binui Real Estate Development on various planning and zoning matters, including establishing a new neighborhood of 6,000 residential units in Kiryat Ata, valued at NIS5bn.
- Advising SBRE on the planning and zoning aspects of large-scale renewable energy projects including in the field of solar projects, including projects in Be’er Yaacov and Dimona.
- Advising on a joint venture Shikun & Binui and The Meshulam Levinstein Group, on the establishment of a new commercial and residential centre in the area of Tel Aviv Central Station (South Tel Aviv), covering tens of thousands sq. meters.
Meitar Law Offices handles the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious matters in the planning and zoning field, including litigation before appeals committees and petitions to the High Court of Justice. It also advises government-owned companies and authorities on master plans and assists private and public entities with some of Israel's largest infrastructure projects. Tamar Migdal is advising Cross Israel Highway on the statutory and regulatory aspects of multiple significant infrastructure projects in addition to a compensation claim for NIS27m with respect to one particular master plan. In other work, Migdal is representing Elad Israel Residences on its licensing procedures for a project called Park TLV in HaArgazim.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good knowledge.‘
The Ramat Hasharon Municipality and the Ramat Hasharon Local Committee
Azorim Construction Company Ltd.
Cross Israel Highway Ltd.
Elad Israel Residences Ltd
Delek Real Estate
Acro Real Estate
Administration Master Plan 47
Caesarea Development Corporation Ltd.
Readymix Industrries (Isral) Ltd
- Representing Azorim Construction Company in objection proceedings and an appeal filed by landowners against an urban renewal plan in Kfar Shalem, Tel Aviv.
- Representing Ramat HaSharon Municipality and the Ramat HaSharon Local Committee in an administrative plea against the approval of the Taas HaSharon master plan with the purpose of establishing 23,000 residential units and 1.65 million square metres of business space, on an area of 7.43 square kilometres of contaminated land on the border of Ramat HaSharon and Herzliya.
- Acting for Acro and another company on planning procedures for the construction of a commercial project in Petah Tikva’s “Etz Hazayit” complex for residential and commercial projects.
Weksler, Bregman & Co., Advocates acts for investment banks, developers and private companies on the design and approval of comprehensive outline plans, especially the Tel Aviv comprehensive outline plan TA 5000, NOP 38 projects and evacuation and construction projects. Taly Salton-Yeshua is acting for Africa Urban Renewal on several projects, most of which are Tama 38/2 developments, which are complicated by objections to approval requests and a series of precedent-setting appeals regarding improvement levies. Salton-Yeshua is also assisting IGI Investments with a residential project in Herzilya to build 660 housing units, which included advising on the purchase of the remaining land rights from Galil Yam-Kibbutz for NIS192m.
Africa Israel Group
IGI Investments (Izaki Group – Renanot Enterprises and Investments Ltd)
Discount Leasing Ltd., Mercantile Discount Bank Ltd., and Credit Cards for Israel Ltd., Discount Bank for Israel Ltd. and Badal Computer and Administrative Services Ltd.
The Mordechai family
Golden House Ltd.
The Administration of the Kibbutzim Agreement Ltd.
The Journalists Group
Regional council of Lev Hasharon
- Advising Africa Urban Renewal on initiating and managing projects, including taking part in steering committee meetings, through to agreements with consultants and various planning processes to the final approval of the plan.
- Acting for Renanot Enterprises and Investments, a private company controlled by Africa Israel Investments Ltd. And Izaki Group, on various real estate matters, including assisting with the “Galil-Yam” residential project in Herzliya, which has 660 units.
- Assisting Discount Leasing, Mercantile Discount Bank, and Credit Cards for Israel as part of a project to establish a new management campus for the group in Rishon Lezion.
Yigal Arnon & Co handles the full spectrum of zoning and planning matters but has particular expertise in urban renewal projects, where the group advises entrepreneurs and construction companies. The team also stands out for its frequent instruction by clients involved in the government's new residential housing programme ('Mechir Lamishtaken'); Amalia Meshi and Naftali Nir are advising Azorim Construction on its participation in this nationwide project to construct over 1,000 housing units. Aner Hefetz has considerable experience of planning and construction litigation before planning authorities, as well as the High Court of Justice and the district courts for administrative matters. Hagit Bavly is also noted.
Azorim Investment Development and Construction Ltd.
Azorim Construction (1965)
Azrieli Group Ltd.
Ofer Brothers Engineering & Development Ltd.
Haim Zaken Construction and Investments Ltd.
Ramat Hasharon Ha’Yruka 2009 Ltd.
Idit Properties Limited Partnership
Apartment for Rent – The Governmental Company for Housing and Rental Ltd.
Rova 1 Ltd.
Yesodot Tzur Construction Ltd.
Mordechai Aviv Building Industries
The Jewish Agency
- Advising Ofer Brothers Engineering & Development and Azorim Construction (1965) on a joint venture for the development of the Hertzeliya Hills, a project in the city of Hertzeliya.
- Acting for Haim Zaken on its participation in the government’s flagship residential housing programne ” Mechir Lamishtaken”, which aims to help first-time homeowners buy an apartment on preferential terms.
- Representing The AD 120 Chain of Retirement Centers for Senior Citizens in a lawsuit filed against it by 170 of its residents in one of the retirement centres it operates who wish to prevent the construction of two additional stories.
Amit, Pollak, Matalon & Co. Advocates and Notary's practice is particularly notable for its knowledge of property betterment levies, expropriations of properties and ability to handle objections and appeals before planning and zoning committees. It is also active in the burgeoning field of urban renewal. Galit Shitzer, who has previously worked as a legal adviser to local planning and construction committees, is acting for Aura Israel in a NIS60m betterment levy exemption motion against the Ramat Hasharon municipal authority. Assaf Oren was recently promoted to head of the municipal tax department and Moran Meroz joined as a senior associate from Harari Toister & Co. in 2019.
Tidhar Group Ltd.
AURA ISRAEL – Entrepreneurship &Investments Ltd.
Tsabarim Development and Investments Ltd.
Bank Hapoalim B.M.
Pesso Romi Management, Marketing and Supervision Ltd.
Caravenn Holdings Ltd.
Tsarfati Zvi and Sons Investments and Building Ltd.
The Association for the Promotion of the Planning and Development of the Blue Coast
Engel Real-Estate Development and Management Ltd.
- Handling a large-scale urban building plan for UMI Group, covering about 1,600 dunams of land, of which about 66 dunams are owned by UMI in the northern part of the city of Lod.
- Acting for Tidhar Group & Union Properties on the planning and licensing aspects of a $70m large-scale building project, as well as in an appeal against an NIS8m betterment levy imposed by the Givataim municipality.
- Acting for Tidhar Group, Acros S.A.A.S Projects Limited Partnership and others in a $280m large-scale building project, as well as in an appeal against a NIS10m betterment levy imposed by the Herzliya municipality.
AYR – Amar Reiter Jeanne Shochatovitch & Co acts for construction companies, infrastructure companies and private developers, among others, on all stages of planning and zoning, with particular expertise in municipal tax matters and a strong focus on urban renewal projects. Yacov Cohen handles litigation regarding planning and building, including before the various planning committees. He advised Aura Investments on an urban renewal and re-construction project covering 150,000 sqm of land across the city of Yahud. Amir Amar specialises in litigation regarding land claims, commercial disputes and administrative petitions in the planning space.
Nesher Israeli Cement Factories Ltd.
Shapir Industries Ltd (formerly Shapir Engineering and Industry Ltd & Shapir Structures & Industries (2002) Ltd)
Delek – The Israel Fuel Corporation
Gindi Tower Tel Aviv Ltd
Aura Investments Ltd and its subsidiary: Aura Israel – Entrepreneurship and Investments Ltd.
Ono Academic College
Noble Energy Mediterranean Ltd.
Gindi Investments Ltd.
Azorim Building (1965) Ltd
AZORIM-INVESTMENT, DEVELOPMENT & CONSTRUCTION CO. LTD
Yossi Avrahami Civil Engineering Works Ltd.
Kavim – Public Transportation Ltd
Kesher Rent A Car Ltd
Haifa Port Company Ltd
David Lubinski Group Ltd
Ashtrom Group Ltd
Adama Agan Ltd.
Paz Oil Company Ltd.
Israel National Gas Lines Company Ltd.
- Secured the successful dismissal of two petitions submitted against the client, Nesher Israeli Cement Factories, one in the High Court of Justice and the other in the Court of Administrative Affairs, regarding plans for quarrying and the use of raw materials.
- Advising Shapir on planning and construction issues in some major projects across the country.
- Assisting the Ono Academic College with planning, construction and licensing issues regarding its various campuses.
Herzog Fox & Neeman acts for clients ranging from government-owned companies to industrial corporations throughout the planning and zoning process. It specialises in representing clients before planning authorities, handling cases arising from infringement of real estate rights and municipal taxation proceedings. Sharon Petel, whose expertise resides in all forms of municipal taxation and zoning and planning authorisations and objections, is advising Nahalat Asher on its planning application to develop and sell 3,000 residential units, 13,000sqm of commercial space and 20,000m2 of office buildings. Associate Talia Blazer provides support in municipal taxation and litigation proceedings in all judicial for concerning planning and zoning disputes, including appeal proceedings.
Ashalim Sun PV
Assuta Medical Centres
Bmc Software Israel
Carmiel Economic Company
Chevra Kadisha Petach Tikva
Cisco Video Technologies
City Councils of Haifa
College of Law and Business
Corning Optical Communications
Economic & Cultural Projects for State Workers Ltd.
- Advising Assuta Medical Centers on all matters related to its real estate assets throughout Israel, including planning and zoning assistance with construction projects, including hospitals and medical centres (both established and in-development).
- Advising Rambam Hospital in northern Israel on municipal and property taxes, as well as assisting with plans for a fortified ‘underground’ emergency room.
- Assisting Daves with planning and zoning issues relating to a hotel in Jerusalem.
M. Firon & Co Advocates and Notaries represents clients before the various planning and zoning committees, handling large-scale construction projects, including litigation in relation to such projects, and advising clients on the planning aspects of Tama 38 (NOP) projects. The group acts for government-owned companies, private companies and real estate developers. Barak Keinan, who sits as co-chairman of the planning and zoning committee of the Israel Bar Association, led advice to Dan Hotels on its plan to develop several hotels, managing to successfully gain the approval of the National Council for Planning and Construction after facing numerous objections from neighbours and the municipality.
Other key lawyers:
EDF Energies Nouvelles Israel Ltd.
The municipalities of Kfar Saba, Drom HaSharon and others
Hanan More Group
Rassco, a member of the Isras Group
Clalit Health Services
Many private land owners
Efgad Engineering and Construction Works Ltd.,
Metropolis Urban Development Ltd.,
Apartments for Rent – Government Housing Rent Company Ltd.
- Representing EDF in all planning procedures pertaining to its operations.
- Acting for the municipalities of Kfar Saba, Drom HaSharon and others in an administrative petition to stop planning approval being granted for the construction of a power plant
- Representing private land owners in proceedings regarding the construction plan of the Sde Dov area.
Maya Ashkenazi Law Office
Boutique real estate firm Maya Ashkenazi Law Office, praised for its 'visionary initiatives' by one client, has expertise in infrastructure-related planning and zoning matters. It also handles planning disputes with regulators for public and private companies in the energy, utilities and telecoms sectors. 'Brilliant' practitioner Maya Ashkenazi has notable skills in cases relating to planning and zoning issues and licensing and planning procedures. She is representing Pelephone Communication in multiple appeals, including precedent-setting matters, arising from the client's widely contested plans to build cellular telecom towers across Israel.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is fluent in all relevant areas of planning and zoning in Israel at large, especially in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.’
Pelephone Communication LTD
Mekorot Water Company Ltd
Zomet Energy Ltd
Super-Pharm (Israel) Ltd
Bezeq International Ltd
The Latin Patriarchate of
The Russian Ecclesiastical
Mission in Jerusalem on Mount of Olives
Double B Holdings Ltd
Double Z R B Holdings Ltd
Es Nadlan Ltd
OPC Energy Ltd
The Josef Foundation (Keren Yosef)
- Assisting Mekorot with the deployment of its water infrastructure across the country and on numerous legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Advising Zomet Energy on the promotion of a new gas power plant, including the approval of a national infrastructure plan for the gas plant, easements, licensing and derived land issues.
- Representing institutions of the Russian Church Outside of Russia in sensitive proceedings opposing the expropriation of religiously significant land in the Mount of Olives.
Boutique real estate firm Miller & Co. Law Office acts for public and private companies, and governmental and municipal bodies, on the zoning and planning aspects of various projects, with particular strength-in-depth in the rezoning of real estate complexes, lot merging and building permit applications. Yossi Miller frequently represents clients before planning and building committees, often in relation to urban renewal projects. In a notable ongoing matter, Miller represents several claimants seeking compensation for damages caused by alleged defects in the planning and construction of the Tel Aviv light rail.
The Karman Brothers
Amiad Water Systems LTD.
Minrav Projects ltd.
Industrial Buildings Company Ltd (“Mivney Taasia”) and The Haifa Economic Corporation (HEC)
LIRAM BUILDING & PROPERTIES LTD.
Bar and Sons Construction & Development Ltd
A.A Ofek Engineering Company Ltd.
Kohav Construction Ltd.
Levinstein Group Ltd.
Mishan Center Ltd. – The Tel Aviv Project
Mishan Center Ltd. Haifa
The Brothers Abu Ayash Ltd
- Represented the Karman brothers in criminal proceedings in a case related to planning and building permits concerning land in the Carmel Forests.
- Advising Minrav on the planning and zoning aspects of a large-scale urban renewal project in Haifa, which includes 720 new apartment units in six high-rise buildings, a commercial centre and a large underground parking lot, which is valued at NIS1bn.
- Assisting Liram Building & Properties with the establishment of a new spa hotel in Karmiel city in the north of Israel, including due diligence, planning and licensing.
S. Horowitz & Co's planning and zoning practice is a key name for land expropriation disputes. The team's expertise also extends to disputes with regulators in the field in addition to advisory planning and zoning work. Amir Caspari, whose expertise encompasses all aspects of planning, regeneration and development of land and construction law, is part of a larger team acting for 150 rights holders on the joint development of the Kikar HaMedina square, consisting of 345 units in three luxury towers. Associate Moshe Ashkenazi frequently represents major companies in disputes regarding land use and planning, construction and infrastructure.
‘The service given is of the highest level. The first thing to point out is uncompromising professionalism of the team, coupled with the highest level of skill.’
‘The professional abilities of the firm are one of a kind, and no other firm matches them.’
‘Amir Caspari is an expert in the field.’
Kikar Hamedina landowners
The Gate To Israel Ltd.
Israel Land Development Malls and Shopping Centers Ltd.
Israel Electric Corporation
Paz Oil Company Ltd. – Israel’s leading energy corporation
The Weizmann Institute of Science and the Weizmann Institute of Science Assets and Development (Mul Nof) Ltd.
Ofarim Basharon Promotion & Construction Ltd.
The Israel Broadcasting Authority
Ashdod Port Ltd.
Israel Land Development – Urban Renewal Ltd.
Lime & Stone Production Company Ltd.
Readymix Industries (Israel) Ltd.
Minrav Group Ltd.
Adv. Dr. Yosef Segev and Shoob & Co. Law Offices
Yakhin Hakal Ltd.
Rani Zim Shopping Centers Ltd.
M.M.M Company United Landfill Industries (1998) Ltd.
- Acted for 150 rights holders on the joint development of luxury square, Kikar HaMedina, in Tel Aviv.
- Represented the Gate to Israel in a petition filed to the Israeli Supreme Court against the Israel Land Authority, the Tel Aviv Local Planning and Construction Committee and The Gate To Israel.
- Representing Paz, Israel’s leading energy corporation, in an administrative petition challenging the Municipality of Bnei Brak’s intention to expropriate land, including the Paz Yatziv gas station – one of the largest gas stations in Israel.
Tadmor Levy & Co
Tadmor Levy & Co's practice represents developers and investors engaged in high-value residential and commercial projects, including major urban renewal developments. The team also has the capabilities to advise local municipalities on various zoning and planning matters. Sigal Shapira acts for individuals, contractors, financiers and companies on all aspects of construction projects, from land acquisitions through to the sale of units. Shoam Keren is particularly notable for her expertise assisting clients with obtaining approvals for master plans across Israel.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising one of the largest developers in Israel on the construction of 750 residential units in Petah Tikva.
- Acting for the landowner, The Gesser Family, on all aspects of a project to build housing units and to strengthen the entire building in accordance with Tama 38.
- Assisted a joint venture comprising Mishab Housing Construction & Development, Mivney Ophir Group and Y.H. Dimri Construction and Development with all matters concerning the planning, zoning, and construction of the Central Heights Giv’atayim project.