Competition/antitrust in Israel
Agmon & Co. Rosenberg Hacohen & Co.'s 'outstanding' practice is particularly prominent in mergers involving regulatory approvals and cases arising from companies failing to notify the Competition Authority before completing a merger. It is also active in highly sensitive alleged cartel cases and investigations spanning multiple jurisdictions regarding the conduct of large companies. Mattan Meridor recently advised Bank Hapoalim on the antitrust aspects of its major IPO pursuant to Israel's anti-concentration legislation and, in a separate mandate, acted for Elbit Systems on its successful merger with IMI systems, a government-owned Israeli weapons manufacturer, with a total value of $504m. Zvi Agmon is another key name and associate Meirav Yung specialises in advising clients on anti-concentration work. In a recent highlight, she assisted the team that advised Bank Hapoalim on Isracard's IPO.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the top firms in Israel.’
‘Mattan Meridor is notable for his creative, out of the box thinking in antitrust cases.’
Bank Hapoalim Ltd.
Cellcom Israel Ltd.
Elbit Systems of America, LLC.
Elbit Systems Ltd.
Delek Drilling LP
Shafir Industries Ltd.
Union Bank Ltd.
- Advised Bank Hapoalim on the IPO of Isracard, a fully-owned subsidiary, and Israel’s largest credit card company, which included a number of antitrust matters.
- Assisted Cellcom and Israel Infrastructure Fund on the merger filing and review of their purchase of IBC, a cyber optic infrastructure company partly owned by IEC.
- Assisted Elbit Systems of America with a merger filing in Israel.
Fischer Behar Chen Well Orion & Co's 'very knowledge and highly professional' team undertakes the full spectrum of work in the space. It handles major mergers requiring approval from the Competition Authority, class actions regarding claims including excessive pricing, alleged cartels, and novel matters, such as Israel's first oligopoly case, in which the firm represented Haifa Port Company. In a landmark case, Tal Eyal-Boger is representing S.Schestowitz Ltd, Colgate-Palmolive's official importer in Israel, in proceedings initiated by the ICA's Director General - marking the first time this authority had been exerted - in which it is claimed that the client abused its dominant position by providing reports to Colgate regarding products imported into Israel via parallel import and setting excessive unfair prices on Colgate's toothpastes. Reuven Behar and Ziv Schwartz are other names to note. Schwartz's notable recent work includes advising Google on multiple acquisitions requiring merger approvals.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very practical and provides very useful advice.’
‘Tal Eyal-Boger is highly professional and pleasant to work with.’
Google and Waze Mobile Ltd
TNUVA Central Cooperative for the Marketing of Agricultural Produce in Israel Ltd.
Bezeq the Israel Telecommunications Co. Ltd.
Delek Drilling LLP and The Tamar Partners
S. Schestowitz Ltd.
The Royal Bank of Scotland
The Association of Banks in Israel
- Representing Volvo Lastvagnar and Renault Trucks in an antitrust motion to certify a class action filed with the Israeli Central District Court on September 13, 2016, by applicant R.A.L.F.I Agriculture.
- Acting for Tnuva (Israel’s largest dairy company), in various matters and proceedings, including in a motion to certify a class action filed in April 2019, which is estimated, according to the claim, at NIS80m (plus compensation for non-pecuniary damage at the discretion of the Court), before the District Court.
- Representation of Delek Drilling in several precedent-setting proceedings regarding the development of the “Leviathan” reservoir.
Goldfarb Seligman & Co.'s competition practice is led by Boaz Golan. The team represents large corporations in merger approvals, and acts for claimants and defendants in disputes concerning alleged monopolies, cartels and restrictive arrangements, as well as various other regulatory issues raised by the Competition Authority. In one highlight, Adam Klein led advice to Warburg Pincus on its NIS2.5bn acquisition of Leumi Card, handling all antitrust aspects including advising the client on complying with anti-concentration legislation. Golan is also leading a team defending EL AL Israel Airlines in a case concerning a motion to certify a class action against it relating to alleged excessive pricing and abuse of dominance. Nimrod Prawer's broad expertise includes advising clients on obtaining M&A approvals and complying with anti-concentration law. Sapir Globman joined from the Israeli Competition Authority in 2019.
The Hot Group,
Hot Telecommunication Systems Ltd.
Amsalem Tours and Travel Ltd.
Carestream Health, Inc.
Altice France, a subsidiary of Altice NV
Warburg Pincus LLC
United Technologies Corporation (UTC)
El Al Israel Airlines Ltd.
Magen David Adom
New Lineo Cinema (2006) Ltd.
Dor Alon Energy In Israel (1988) Ltd.
Dor Chemicals Ltd.
A.L. Ten Bis Ltd. (“10bis”)
Kolbo Gas Ltd.
The Israel Insurance Association
Shasha Tours (95)
Derech Eretz Tours
Mr. & Mrs. Ronen and Carmit Elad
Matrix I.T. Ltd.
Yesh Book Distributions Ltd.
- Represented Amsalem Tours and Travel in a monetary sanctions procedure initiated by the Israel Competition Authority.
- Advising Carestream Health on its agreement with Royal Philips.
- Assisted Warburg Pincus with its NIS2.5bn acquisition of Leumi Card.
Meitar Law Offices is a market-leader in the pharmaceutical sector for abuse of dominance claims - including patent disputes and unfair pricing disputes - and M&A, where it acts for multinational companies including GlaxoSmithKline. The firm is also active in significant class actions and in advising clients on a broad array of negotiations with the ICA, concerning, for instance, applications for exemptions and submissions to annul the declaration of a monopoly. In one highlight, Niva Barg Livnat successfully advised Celgene Corporation on its application to the Competition Authority to approve its $74bn (equity value) merger with Bristol-Myers Squibb, in which Bristol-Myers Squibb was the acquirer. Livnat is able to draw on her previous experience with the Israel Competition Authority.
Other key lawyers:
Glaxo SmithKline p.l.c (GSK)
Shareholders of Union Bank of Israel
Automatic Bank Services Ltd. (Shva)
LG Display Co. Ltd.
- Acting for the controlling shareholders of Union Bank of Israel on its acquisition by Mizrahi Tefahot Bank, including handling the submission of merger notification and representing the client in hearing proceedings before the Competition Authority.
- Advising Pfizer on combining its consumer health businesses with the consumer health businesses of GlaxoSmithKline into a new joint venture, in which GSK will have a majority controlling equity interest of 68% and Pfizer will have an equity interest of 32%.
- Represented Yenot Bitan in a hearing before the Israel Antitrust Authority (IAA) with respect to the IAA’s intention to impose administrative fines amounting to NIS25m for the alleged violation of the terms of the approval of the merger in which Yenot Bitan purchased the ‘Mega’ supermarket chain. Following the hearing, the IAA agreed to a consent decree in the amount of NIS2m with no admission of guilt.
S. Horowitz & Co's antitrust team handles a high volume of class actions and abuse of dominance cases concerning alleged anti-competitive behaviour, including price fixing and excessive pricing, for clients from across a broad range of sectors, including aviation, technology and banking. The group also has a strong standing in M&A requiring regulatory approval from the Competition Authority, and in acting for clients facing administrative orders imposed by the ICA. Hagai Doron successfully represented Sharp Corporation in a precedent-setting class action relating to allegations of conspiracy to fix prices for LCD panels. He is also defending Teva Pharmaceutical Industries in a case concerning the Competition Authority's declaration that the company is functioning as an oligopoly in the baby formula market. Associate Adi Amar advises large international and domestic corporates on M&A, joint ventures, abuse of dominance claims and many other critical regulatory matters. Gitit Levin Grinberg is another key name.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Procter & Gamble Co.
Nippon Yusen Kabshiki Kaisha
Israel Electric Corporation
Hitachi-LG Data Storage
El Al Israel Airlines
Cemex S.A.B. de C.V.
General Electric Company
International Air Transport Association
Paz Oil Company Ltd.
Yedioth Aharonot group
Reshet – Media Ltd.
Barclays Bank plc
The Boeing Company
Cimsa Cimento Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S
Brother International Europe Ltd.
- Advised Boeing Company on the antitrust aspects arising from its purchase of KLX.
- Acting for Israel Electric Corporation on all Israeli antitrust aspects of its business, including defending the client against allegations that it refused to provide services to customers of private manufacturers of electricity.
- Advised Francisco Partners and Verifone on merger filing regarding the purchase of Verifone by Francisco Partners.
Tadmor Levy & Co
Tadmor Levy & Co's 'capable and experienced' competition team benefits from the fact several of its partners previously worked for the Israel Competition Authority: of particular note is David Tadmor, who served as the Competition Commissioner, and Ittai Paldor, who served as a senior prosecutor. The group is frequently instructed in global class actions, for instance in relation to allegations of cartel activity and monopolies, M&A approvals and disputes arising from the authority's refusal to approve mergers. In a recent highlight, Shai Bakal represented Siemens and Alstom in their merger and is acting for Daimler in a motion to certify a class action suit against it relating to allegations of price fixing. Ayal Hacohen is also a key member of practice, whose experience includes advising companies on cross-border M&A and in relation to abuse of dominance claims.
‘The team is well-versed in the legal and practical aspects of antitrust law and extremely helpful and thorough.’
‘I find Tadmor & Co very knowledgeable about the latest thinking of the Israeli competition law authority, and they make themselves available at short notice when needed. An excellent practice.’
‘The team is as good as it gets.’
‘Shai Bakal is knowledgeable, experienced, thorough, kind, service-oriented and articulate.’
Nespresso Israel and Nestlé Nespresso S.A
Max It Finance Ltd. (Formerly Leumi Card)
El Al Israel Airlines Ltd.
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM)
Israel Chemicals and its affiliated companies
Holmes Place International Ltd.
Assuta Medical Centers
Readymix Industries (Israel) Ltd.
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems
Paz Oil Company Ltd.
G1 Secure Solutions Ltd.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd.
- Acting for Nespresso Israel and Nestle Nespresso, both subsidiaries of Nestle, in a class action alleging a monopoly in the coffee capsules market.
- Represent Siemens in an appeal before the Competition Tribunal, regarding a determination made by the ICA with respect to the alleged worldwide gas insulated switchgear cartel.
- Represented El Al- Israel’s national air carrier in a high-profile appeal against the Director General’s decision not to approve the merger between EL AL and Israir Airlines.
Yigal Arnon & Co fields 'a very professional team' that represents major corporations, particularly in the telecoms, pharmaceutical and retail sectors. Its workload incorporates international cartel cases, national abuse of dominance and cartel class actions, litigation arising from monetary sanctions imposed by the Antitrust Commission, merger notifications and requests for exemptions to restrictive arrangements. The firm represented CAL Israel Credit Cards in a $470m class action brought against it alleging restrictive arrangements between CAL and other credit card companies, resulting in a positive outcome for the client with the petitioner withdrawing its appeal in the Supreme Court. Ronit Amir-Yaniv and Shani Rapoport are also noted. Niv Zecler left the firm in 2020.
‘The team displays far more knowledge than other firms I have had the chance work with. They are not afraid to take a stand and follow through.’
Strauss Group Ltd
Unilever Israel Group
Pelephone Communication Ltd.
CAL – Israel Credit Cards Ltd.
LG Electronics Ltd.
Super-Pharm (Israel) Ltd.
Central Bottling Company Ltd.
Ashdod Port Company Ltd.
Harel Technologies (subsidiary of One1)
Lafarge Holcim Inc.
Moni Siton Transportation Ltd.
Bonus School Books
Zalman Barashi & Brothers
Israeli Federation of the Phonographic Industry
Nvidia Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA)
- Advised Nvidia Corporation on its $6.9bn acquisition of Mellanox Technologies, which included devising a merger notice and producing a legal and economic review.
- Representing Strauss Group in three class actions submitted by the same claimant concerning monopoly pricing of several products manufactured by Strauss.
- Acting for the Central Bottling Company (the CBC) before the Israel Competition Authority in its intention to sanction the CBC for an unprecedented amount of NIS62m alleging abuse of dominant market position.
Erdinast, Ben Nathan, Toledano & Co.'s competition practice predominantly handles merger approvals; cases concerning the regulation of monopolies, including abuse of dominance claims; restrictive arrangements; and matters relating to the impact of the anti-concentration law. Michal Rothschild, who previously worked at the ICA, is advising Bank Mizrahi Tefahot on its attempt to acquire Bank Igud in an appeal following the ICA's decision to prevent the merger in May 2018. Litigation specialist Giora Erdinast is acting alongside Rothschild in defending Nesher in a class action case for abuse of dominance, in which the claimants are seeking $278m in damages.
- Representing yes (D.B.S. Satellite Services) in a raft of matters, including disputes over sports rights, as well as several antitrust proceedings before the ICA.
- Advising TMF, Yeoshoua and Gitam on antitrust matters relating to a high-profile merger in which TMF is planning to merge with Union Media Israel.
- Represented Sabre Corporation in a dispute brought by travel agencies alleging Sabre colluded with British Airways to block flight data.
Eshel, Ashlagi, Rozent - Law Offices, praised by one client for its 'insight, availability and effectiveness', frequently represents petitioners and defendants in competition law cases relating to alleged cartel activity, restrictive arrangements and abuse of dominance. It also handles major mergers and acquisitions and challenges to proposed mergers by competitors. Gal Rozent, who is able to draw on past experience at the regulator, is 'very responsive and practical'. He is representing the Israel Electric Corporation in proceedings against the gas insulated switchgear cartel members (Siemens, ABB and Alstom), including a private lawsuit and a class action submitted by consumers against the cartel members and the IEC; the case is currently at the appeal stage.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has an excellent understanding of the Israeli competition landscape and are able to provide guidance on how regulator thinks.’
‘Gal Rozent is a fantastic antitrust attorney with many years of practical experience.’
Red Hat Inc.
The Israel Electric Corporation
Israel Postal Company
The Israeli Public Broadcasting Company
Maccabi Healthcare Services
The Workers’ Committees of Union Bank
The Israeli Association of Travel Agencies and Consultants
Aviad Concrete and Clay Industries (1996) Ltd.
New Way Traffic Ltd.
Ramat Hagolan Dairies Ltd.
The Company for the Development of the Galil
- Represented the Israel Association of Travel Agencies & Consultants (ITTAA) before the Competition General Director, following the General Director’s intention to determine that the ITTAA breached competition laws, and to impose on the ITTAA and on one of its officers administrative fines.
- Representing New Way Traffic, a supplier of construction, municipal and road safety services, in legal proceedings against the Ministry of Defence, on the grounds that the results of a wide scale tender that the Ministry had published should be annulled/altered due to inherent antitrust deficiencies.
- Acting for ready-mix concrete producer, Aviad Concrete and Clay Industries in a NIS127m civil lawsuit against the Israeli cement monopoly, Nesher Israeli Cement Enterprises.
Herzog Fox & Neeman's 'pragmatic and reliable' team is regularly engaged in merger approvals, cases involving administrative fines imposed by the ICA, cartel class actions and excessive pricing class actions. The 'extremely knowledgeable' Talya Solomon, who previously served as a team leader in the ICA's legal department, recently acted alongside Iris Achmon, another ICA alumnus, in advising Walt Disney and Twenty First Century Fox on a $71bn merger. In another significant mandate, Talya is defending Deutsche Lufthansa and Swiss International Air Lines in a class action concerning alleged global price fixing. Highly active associate Liron Tzur represents client before the Competition Tribunal and across the country's civil courts in various disputes, including class actions.
‘We receive legal advice from the HFN competition team on various matters and always enjoy a prompt and extremely professional service. Many of the matters require creative solutions and practical thinking together with in-depth knowledge of the antitrust rules and the practice of the Competition Authority.’
‘We work directly with Talya Solomon and Iris Achmon. The team is always available and keen to assist.’
‘Talya Solomon, as a key partner, is creative in her solutions, eager to help, practical and familiar with past cases.’
Israel Electric Corporation (IEC)
First International Bank of Israel
Pheonix Insurance Company
Menora Insurance Company
Walt Disney Company
Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc.
Deutsche Lufthansa AG and Swiss International Air Lines Ltd.
- Advising IEC on monopoly and administrative fines issues, as well as day-to-day advice.
- Representing one of the parties in the bread cartel class action, Davidovitch Bakery.
- Representing Huliot in a criminal procedure for failing to provide data and a civil action for monopoly breaches.
Krispin Rubinstein Blecher Law Offices' 'professional and skilled' team has particular strength in the banking sector, where it advise clients, including Israel Discount Bank and Israel Credit Cards, on major mergers, compliance programmes and investigations carried out by the Competition Authority. The team also acts for clients from a wide range of other sectors on acquisitions, joint venture arrangements, equity investments, project bids and other corporate matters that fall under the ICA's remit, and also handles disputes relating to anti-concentration law. Noga Rubinstein, noted by one client for her 'sharp legal mind', and Andrey Nickel are key names.
‘If you are looking for a team for the toughest cases, when all seems lost – they are the ones you call. The firm has emerged in the competition/antitrust sector a few years ago and rose quickly to the top – based largely on its track record of getting the deals through with the commission as well as with other regulators. The team has a great understanding of how regulatory bodies think about and handle cases, and they put it to good use every time.’
‘Noga Rubinstein and Andrey Nickel provide a very good understanding of the law and previous cases, know how and when to approach the Commission and are able to push through some really tough cases. They have extremely good working relations with the client and provide 24/7 full on support.’
Israel Discount Bank
Bank Hapoalim Ltd.
Tnuva Food Industries Agricultural Co-Op in Israel Ltd.
Mercantile Discount Bank Ltd.
IDE Technologies Ltd.
The Phoenix Insurance Company Ltd.
Israel Credit Cards Ltd.
Israir Airlines Ltd
Sonol Israel Ltd.
Be’eri Printers Ltd.
Federation of Israeli Chambers of Commerce
Gadot Chemicals Tankers & Terminals Ltd
Victory Supermarket Chain Ltd.
Dorad Energy Ltd.
Continuing Education Funds for Teachers Ltd.
G.P. Global Power Ltd
Dor Alon Energy in Israel (1988) Ltd.
Adler Chomski Marketing Communication Ltd.
M Sides and Son Ltd.
Solbar Food Industries Ltd.
Ramat Negev Energy Ltd.
- Represented Israel discount Bank in a merger review following the acquisition of Municipal Bank, formerly Dexia Israel.
- Acting for Israel Discount Bank in a petition to disclose highly confidential records provided to the Israel Competition Authority.
- Represented IDE in competition matters arising out of its bid to construct Israel’s largest desalination plant and purchasing Israel’s third largest desalination plant.
M. Firon & Co Advocates and Notaries' 'experienced and diverse' practice acts for major companies from a broad range of industries on securing approvals for M&A and joint ventures. It also handles contentious cases, including class actions and specific regulatory matters before government bodies, including the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Health. The 'intelligent and efficient' Mazor Matzkevich, who previously worked at the US Federal Trade Commission, is representing Toshiba in three class actions brought against it and other international corporations following the EU Commission's declaration of international cartel activity.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has an excellent ability to understand what is required in various different matters, displaying a high professionalism and service.’
‘Mazor Matzkevich has a deep understanding and extensive knowledge; she is always available, pleasant and professional.’
Terminal 1 aviation
Diplomat Distributors (1968) Ltd.
- Advising Mastercard International on the acquisition of 10% of Automatic Banking Services (Shva) from Bank Hapoalim, for c. $11m.
- Acting for the Ashtrom Group, Migda Insurance, Orian and Concept Line, U-Bank and Dan Hotels on merger transactions.
- Representing Green Way and its owner and founder in three cases of bid rigging of tenders by the Israeli Electricity Company.
Naschitz, Brandes, Amir & Co. handles a high volume of mergers and acquisitions for clients, particularly private equity firms, requiring regulatory approval from the ICA. The firm is also experienced in international and domestic class actions, cartel cases, monopoly orders, and disputes relating to restrictive arrangements, unfair competition and IP infringement. Practice head Golan Kaneti recently advised Aernonautics, Israel's leading listed company in the defence sector, on its $850m merger with Rafael Advanced Defence Systems and Stolero Iron, resulting in joint ownership of Aeronautics by Rafael and Stolero.
Other key lawyers:
City of Jerusalem municipality
Bet Shemesh Engines
The Egg and Poultry Board
- Advised Fimi on all competition law issues related to the acquisition and issuance of shares in Y-Stern Engineering.
- Representing Fimi on its acquisition of business units owned by Teva, as well as a separate purchase of the AiTech Rugged Group.
- Defending Iveco in a class action concerning an alleged infringement of EU competition law.
Yossi Levy & Co frequently defends major companies in class action proceedings before the Antitrust Authority, the Antitrust Tribunal and the Supreme Court, concerning alleged cartel activity spanning numerous jurisdictions. Other areas of expertise includes advising on the antitrust aspects of tenders for major construction projects, where it acts for project owners and contractors; M&A; and compliance programmes. 'Highly knowledgeable and creative' practice head Asaf Shubinsky is representing General Electric in multiple claims regarding an alleged global cartel in the electricity industry. Also of note are Yossi Levy and Justice Emeritus Jonathan Adiel, previous President of the Antitrust Tribunal, who serves as a consultant to the firm.
‘The team is always available and ready to provide valuable input and guidance.’
‘The team has a deep understanding of the antitrust field, both in the local and international markets. I think that the lawyers are very dedicated to meeting the clients’ needs and provide them with professional and comprehensive legal services.’
‘One of the most experienced teams in Israel, which includes the former head of the Competition Tribunal, Jonathan Adiel. The team also includes experienced lawyers with over 30 years of relevant experience, and former Competition Authority employees.’
‘The team has unique experience in providing government authorities and government owned companies advice on the competition and antitrust area.’
‘Adv. Shubinsky has accumulated extensive experience in leading restrictive litigation cases, representing clients in Israel’s District Courts, Antitrust Tribunal, and Supreme Court.’
LG Chem Group
Israel Airport Authority
Israel Ports Development & Assets Company Ltd.
Partner Communications Company Ltd.
Clalit health care
H.Y. Group Israel; H.Y. Components Ltd.
Electra Ltd.; Electra Energy Ltd.
Electra Consumer Products
Mr. Ya’acov (Yasha) Hain
YSB Group Ltd.
Book for all-marketing and distribution Ltd.
Israel Health Services Association (“HMO”)
Golan Telecom Ltd.
The State of Israel – The Ministry of Finance and The Ministry of Environmental Protection
JV of Allied Infrastructure Ltd., Afcon Holdings Ltd. and Tidhar
JV of Acciona Agua S.A., Allied Infrastructure Ltd. and Afcon Holdings Ltd.
Afcon holdings Ltd.
Shagrir road services
Elco Media and entertainment
- Representing LG in a matter relating to a global cartel in the field of production of batteries for laptops and mobile phones.
- Advising a joint venture, consisting of Acciona Agua, Allied Infraastructure and Afcon Holdings, on the competition aspects of a BOT tender relating to a sea-water desalination facility.
- Representing General Electric in several claims regarding an alleged global cartel in the electricity industry, which involves an appeal against the Israeli Antitrust Commissioner’s findings, a civil lawsuit filed by the Israeli Electricity Company and two separate class actions against the company.
Amit, Pollak, Matalon & Co. Advocates and Notary's 'business-oriented' antitrust group regularly handles a wide range of corporate matters involving competition law, including M&A and investments and has particular expertise in the food, hi-tech and defence sectors. The team is also known for handling the competition aspects of drafting compliance programmes, franchise agreements, negotiating settlement agreements, handling disclosure motions and advising on tender bids. Practice head Ravit Arbel represented Reshet Media in its high-profile merger with Israel's Channel 10, which required lengthy discussions with the Israel Competition Authority given concentration concerns. Managing partner Eldad Koresh is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ravit Arbel is highly available either by phone or in person when required. In a professional sense, Arbel seems to have a natural ability to clearly understand quickly and accurately the facts and legal essence of relevant issues and to communicate them in organized factual and legal terms.’
Isramco Negev 2 Limited Partnership
Tamar Petroleum Ltd.
Israel Discount Bank Ltd.
Shufersal Ltd. (TASE: SAE)
Wissotzky Tea (Israel)
IBM Israel Ltd.
Tabib Toxic Waste Services Ltd.
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd.
The Manufacturers Association of Israel
Clal Insurance Ltd. (TASE: CLIS)
Israel Builders Association Boney Ha’aretz
The Israeli Food Manufacturers Association
Tidhar Group Ltd.
Aeronautics Ltd. (TASE: ARCS)
Reit 1 Ltd. (TASE: RIT1)
Israeli Association of Construction & Infrastructure Engineers
Arkia Israeli Airlines Ltd.
Norstar Holding Inc. (TASE: NSTR)
Axons Vision Ltd.
- Assisting Shufersal with general competition matters.
- Defended Wissotzky Tea in a $42m class action certification concerning monopoly and excessive pricing allegations.
- Advised Comasco on the competition aspects of its $120m merger with Universal Motors Israel.
Gornitzky & Co.'s practice handles civil and criminal antitrust cases spanning a range of sectors, including food, banking, energy, travel and tourism, with particular strength representing clients before the Israeli Antitrust Tribunal. The firm's wider expertise encompasses seeking and opposing merger approvals; defending companies in class actions, predominantly in relation to excessive pricing; defending clients subject to monopoly orders; and implementing enforcement plans concerning competition law for large corporates. Avner Finkelshtein, who previously worked in several senior legal and investigative positions for the ISA, has experience handling M&A approvals, cartel investigations, abuse of dominance cases and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gornitzky & Co is a highly respected law firm in Israel. The antitrust team is quick to respond and highly skilled.’
‘I work with Kfir Yadgar and Avner Finkelstein. They are both excellent and very service oriented.’
Siemens Healthcare Ltd.
Reindeer Energy Ltd.
OPC Energy Ltd.
Israel’s Hotels Association
Fattal Hotels Ltd.
Inter Industries Ltd.
Rami Levy Hashikma Marketing Ltd.
Shlomo Holdings Ltd.
- Advising Siemens on its ongoing competition matters, including consultation on distribution and purchase agreements.
- Represented Reindeer before the Israel Competition Authority regarding the purchase of a third of its shares by the Phoenix Group.
- Acted for OPC before the Israel Competition Authority regarding the purchase of all of its holdings in Green Day Power.
With particular expertise in the pharmaceutical, energy and hospitality industries, Lipa Meir & Co's practice predominantly handles the regulatory aspects of M&A, alongside a raft of other corporate transactions. The team is also well equipped to handle contentious matters, including class actions. Yariv Ilan's caseload encompasses restrictive arrangements, M&A approvals and monopoly claims. Uzi Mor is one of the firm's go-to lawyers for corporate transactions, particularly in the food and drink industry.
Clalit Health Services, Mor Institute for Medical Data Ltd., Mor-Mar Ltd., Shila Medical Services and Mor Research Applications Ltd.
Nevo Medical Ltd.
M. Akkerman Ltd.
Burgus Burger Bar (BBB)
Mega Retail Ltd.
The Kibbutz Economies Group
Medtechnica Ortophone Ltd.
- Acted for Ituran in a class action submitted against it, alleging it is abusing its dominant position through charging excessive prices in the field of vehicle tracking devices.
- Advised Carmel Winery on a raft of competition issues, including matters falling under the Law for the Promotion of Competition in the Food Sector.
- Acting for Clalit group on various competition matters, including in its dealings with the Israel Antitrust Authority, and adhering to market practices.
Rotenberg & Co
Rotenberg & Co's competition practice handles abuse of dominance cases, administrative claims, excessive pricing class actions, and M&A disputes, predominantly in the media, food and drink, and financial services sectors. Amir Vang's experience includes antitrust compliance work, participation in hearings before the Israeli Parliament and the Israeli Antitrust Authority and defending clients before the Competition Tribunal. Vang is defending The Central Distribution Company against the IAA's claim that it is liable to pay an administrative sanction due to its breach of various competition orders. Boaz Sity is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice has in-depth knowledge of the law as well as a comprehensive understanding of the market.’
‘Amir Vang and Adv. Boaz Sity are experienced in working with the Israeli Competition Authority and are up-to-date with changes taking place in the rapidly evolving field of antitrust.’
Gama Management & Clearing Ltd.
ELA Recycling Corporation
T.M.I.R – Manufacturers Recycling Corporation in Israel Ltd (CC)
Keshet Broadcasting Ltd.
Central Bottling Company (Coca-Cola Israel)
International Beer Breweries Ltd.
Turk Tuborg Bira ve Malt Sanayii A.S.
Music 24. Ltd.
Ashdod Port Ltd.
- Representing Gama in appeal proceedings before the Israel Antitrust Authority concerning a decision of the Commissioner relating to the credit card market.
- Advising Keshet Broadcasting on competition issues arising from its activity.
- Representing CBC in an application to approve a class action against the company regarding excessive and unfair pricing.
Shibolet & Co.'s 'professional and efficient' team has particular knowledge of the food and beverage sector. The group handles class actions relating to excessive pricing and regularly produces compliance programmes for companies to ensure they do not breach competition law requirements. The firm also handles investments, joint ventures, exclusive commercial agreements and tender proceedings that require approval from the ICA. Gil Rosenberg is representing James Richardson Proprietary in a $1bn class action concerning excessive pricing.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gil Rosenberg is very much in tune to the needs of my company, will make introductions to potential investors, deals etc, and is always extremely professional.’
‘Gil Rosenberg is a knowledgeable, smart and a pleasant partner to work with, with a deep knowledge of antitrust as well as adjacent legal areas (such as procurement and tender law), which helps him deliver holistic, legally robust and practical solutions.’
Mekorot, Israel National Water Company
The Tel Aviv and Central Israel Chamber of Commerce
Mifal HaPais – Israel National Lottery
Siemens Israel Ltd.
Ayalon Insurance Company
Phoenix Insurance Company
The First International Bank of Israel (FIBI)
Israel Railways Ltd. (ISR – Israeli National Railway Carrier)
Israel Ports Developments & Assets Company
Golan Plastic Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co.
Robert Bosch GmbH
Ceragon Networks Ltd.
Castro Model Ltd
Paz Ashdod Refinery Ltd.
Kav Manche Group
AGICOA – Association for the International Collective Management of Audiovisual Works
Red Online Marketing Group, LP (50onRed)
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.
S.Schestowitz (one of Israel’s largest distribution companies of international food brands)
BSH Home Appliances
Galor Systems & Software Development
Golan Winery Ltd.
- Advised Phoenix on the competition aspects of an investment in Reindeer Energy.
- Representing James Richardson and its business partner Gebr. Heinemann in a class action in the amount of NIS3.5bn, brought against it and against the Israel Airports Authority.
- Representing Golan Plastic in a complaint against Huliot Agricultural Cooperative Society regarding abuse of a dominant position.