Firms in the Spotlight Corporate and commercial
Simcocks’ excellent Corporate and Commercial team prides itself on its extensive expertise and its ability to provide comprehensive advice within very tight timeframes. The team is headed by Irini Newby, who is also an expert in Commercial Property and Employment law, and includes Alex Spencer, a leading individual in Banking and Finance.View Profile...
Corporate and commercial in Isle Of Man
Appleby handles transactional work across the corporate and commercial spectrum, covering finance, gambling, real estate and other sectors. The team has handled a number of mandates in bank ring-fencing (Juan Thornley being a notable name for this), with investment funds work another area of expertise. The firm also handles its BVI work in European time zones out of Douglas, with Kyle Sutherland and counsel Tom Brook qualified in that jurisdiction. Garry Manley, who has investment funds expertise, has returned from Cains, while Andrew Harding, after a stint at the firm's Guernsey office, is now at DQ.
‘Competency clearly runs throughout the team, as members pick up urgent work of colleagues are unavailable.‘
‘Client care is very good.‘
‘Garry Manley is an outstanding corporate lawyer: he knows how to get a deal done.‘
‘Juan Thornley is a stand-out individual.‘.
Tom Brook is a pleasure to work with: he is a strong technical lawyer who is able to build strong client relationships.’
‘Michelle Brook consistently delivers a very polished and professional service.’
EPE Special Opportunities
- Working with its Jersey office, advised Santander UK on transferring its Crown Dependencies operations in advance of ring-fencing requirements.
- Advised Ferrous Resources on the sale, via statutory merger, of the company to Vale for $550m.
- Advised AIM-listed fund EPE Special Opportunities on its migration from the Isle of Man to Bermuda.
- Advised Civitas Social Housing on its purchase of a regulated social housing portfolio for £37.6m.
Cains advises on a broad range of deals, covering sectors ranging from natural resources through to real estate and fund services, in which the firm was particularly active in 2018. Bank ring-fencing and cross-border M&A deals are another area of expertise. The firm has recently gone through some generational change in its directorate, with 'world-class commercial lawyer' Scott Leonard-Morgan added (he now shares leadership of the team with Tristan Head); Richard Vanderplank is now a consultant.
Scott Leonard-Morgan; Tristan Head
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Baker; Richard Vanderplank; Matthew Wilkinson; Stephanie Chew
‘Highly responsive and reliable when it comes to preparing documents – the team inspires real trust that deadlines will be met and the output will be excellent.’
‘The firm has a huge corporate team with significant international experience – professional through and through, the teams are relationship-driven with a good sense of humour that puts them above the rest.’
‘Flexible, combined with with exceptional knowledge.’
‘Considerable depth and expertise in Manx law – the team is knowledgeable, responsive and easy to work with, making it a go-to firm for all Isle of Man legal queries.’
‘Tristan Head and Tim Shepherd are practical, responsive and technically strong – Head in particular stands out for financial services M&A.’
‘Stephanie Chew is a great contact – she gives thorough and timely advice, and is friendly and approachable.’
‘Matthew Wilkinson is very easy to work with: no Manx problem is too difficult to be dealt with.’
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
Cheyne Capital Management
National Bank of Kuwait
The Stars Group
- Advised Lloyds Bank International on Lloyds Banking Group’s bank ringfencing, including regulatory consents.
- Advised Penmara and its beneficial owners on the sale of the company in a management buyout backed by Palatine Private Equity.
- Advised Republic Financial Services on the Manx elements of its purchase, through its Barbadian subsidiary, of a controlling stake in Cayman National, which is listed on the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange.
- Advised Myers Business Trust on the purchase of Gill Marine Holdings.
- Advised Dawn Meats, an Irish supplier of beef and lamb, on a partnership with and purchase of a Northern Irish meat processor.
Keystone Law handles a range of work, with a particular strength in UK real estate. Stephen Rodd handles a mixture of M&A deals, many of which concern on-island assets and deals. Sally Cranshaw and Geoff Kermeen are notable names for handling the Manx elements of UK real estate deals. William Margot's practice also includes on-island commercial contracting work. Hazel Dawson is a new hire from DQ. John Melia, who joined from Appleby, is qualified in the BVI.
DQ handles investment funds and M&A work, acting for private individuals in local deals, including management buyouts and commercial contracting work. The firm has a number of clients in the gambling industry. Stephen Dougherty is now at FinLaw - Andrew Harding joined the team in September 2016, returning to the island from Appleby in Guernsey.
Simcocks has varied expertise in the corporate space in the Isle of Man, ranging from competition law in heavily regulated industries to real estate deals concerning London properties. Irini Newby handles, among other matters, M&A deals in the corporate service provider industry.
Other key lawyers:
Alex Spencer; Kevin O’Loughlin
Long & Humphrey
Long & Humphrey advises a broad range of clients, many of which are Main Market or AIM-listed, on M&A deals and restructurings. Other mandates include works for start-up founders, and cross-border e-commerce matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a good depth of knowledge, and provides clients with a wider context rather than simple instructions.’
‘It goes out of its way to meet clients in person, instilling confidence by asking sensible questions and gathering all possible details.’
- Advised an AIM-listed pharmaceuticals business on the Manx law elements of its $67.5m sale of a subsidiary.
- Advised a media company on the Isle of Man law aspects arising from a strategic review of its operations.
- Advises the founders of a fintech business on the sale of the company to a global corporation.
- Advised a formerly AIM-listed property investment company in relation to an offer to purchase its shares.
- Advised an video on demand business on a proposal to provide services from the Isle of Man.
Quinn Legal handles a range of work spanning from day-to-day corporate advice and challenging restructurings, though to matters for high-net-worth clients. Natural resources is an area of expertise for the firm.
Other key lawyers:
James Quinn; Peter Cannell
‘The team stands out by reason of its lawyers’ experience and knowledge.’
‘The firm is different because it really puts the client at the centre of its service – nothing ever is too much trouble.’
‘Stephen Savage is shrewd, holistic, intelligent and tactical in his thinking.’
‘Peter Cannell shows an in-depth knowledge of company law.’
First Names Group
- Advised IIC Partners on restructuring from a company limited by shares to a company limited by guarantee.
- Advised Quinton International on the purchase of a fiduciary business.