Projects and energy in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law is a leading independent firm in this space, with a client base including state-owned-enterprises as well as major Chinese and Japanese energy investors. Oil and gas and transport projects are the two key areas of interest, with additional expertise in sustainable energy projects including hydropower and waste-to-energy developments. Emir Nurmansyah leads the practice and has a broad skillset covering project finance, corporate transactions, and restructuring.
- Advised a consortium of lenders on the $1.846-billion financing to PT Pertamina EP Cepu for the development of the Jambaran-Tiung Biru gas project.
- Advised PT Indo Raya Tenaga, the project company for the $3b Java 9&10 power plant, on their $1.42-billion EPC with a South Korean contractor.
- Counsel to a leading international infrastructure lending agency for the development of a number of waste-to-energy power plant projects in Indonesia.
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy
Advising lenders and sponsors, Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy consistently advises on the leading energy projects in the market, most recently acting for the lenders on the upgrade of Balikpapan refinery in relation to the government’s $17bn to redevelop the country’s refineries. Outside of the traditional energy sphere, the team also advised on the first ever floating solar project in Indonesia. Other areas of interest include liquefied natural gas, waste to energy, mining and public infrastructure. Managing partner Daniel Ginting is a well known name in the energy market, having advised major intentional investors and local energy companies, as well as government agencies on Public Private Partnerships. Foreign legal consultant Michael Tardif is another key name who specialises in project finance, with other complementary skills in acquisition financing and corporate law.
Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC)
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI)
Asian Development Bank
Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
PT Pertamina (Persero)
PT Pembangkitan Jawa Bali
PT Indika Energy Tbk
PT Bank Mandiri
- Advising the lenders including ECAs in relation to the financing of the RDMP Balikpapan Refinery Upgrade Project, Phase I, in Indonesia.
- Advising PT Pembangkitan Jawa Bali on the proposed development of the 800MW Jawa 3 gas combined-cycle power plant in Indonesia.
- Advising the lenders on the financing of 145 MW Cirata floating solar PV project to be developed by PJB and Masdar.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is a standout firm for hydropower projects and major transport infrastructure developments. The team is led by foreign legal consultants Norman Bissett and Luke Devine, both of which share broad expertise in the financing and corporate aspects of energy and infrastructure projects. Devine has been handling the team’s hydropower projects and is mostly known for his work involving power and energy mandates. Bisset is particularly strong in infrastructure projects as well as oil and gas and mining.
‘The team works collectively and easily to be contacted.’
‘Individuals have very good understanding on the energy sector we are in.’
‘The care the firm takes in ensuring solid legal and practical advice is incredible; this makes the firm unique. The firm provides expert legal and business advice – in order to do this, the firm takes the time to understand the business.’
‘Luke Devine and Norman Bissett are among the top lawyers I have had the pleasure to work with globally (not just Asia). Their advice is never “off the shelf” or without careful consideration. The advice is practical and complete. Further, their availability is beyond words – never a hesitation even across difficult time zones.’
PT Freeport Indonesia
Denham Capital Management LP
Government of the Republic of Indonesia
New Zealand Oil and Gas Limited
OTP Geothermal Pte Limited
Binsar Natorang Energi PT
Geo Energy Resources Ltd.
The World Bank Group
Pelabuhan Indonesia II Persero PT
ORIX Real Property
Ormat Technologies Inc.
Sungrow Power Supply Co Ltd
Santosa Makmur Sejahtera Energy PT
Sokoria Geothermal Indonesia PT
UPC ASIA WIND MANAGEMENT HK LIMITED
Armstrong Energy Pte Ltd
PT Kereta Cepat Indonesia China
PT Pertamina (Persero)
Sarulla Operations Limited
Electricity Generating Public Company Ltd (EGCO)
Anglo American plc
- Advised on the development and financing of a 3×13 MW Hasang run-of-river hydro power project in North Sumatera.
- Assisted IIGF in relation to the construction of Komodo Airport in Labuan Bajo, East Nusa Tenggara, under a Public Private Partnership scheme.
- Advised ATN on its acquisition of shares in toll road operator PT Lintas Marga Sedaya.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills is the standout firm in the market for mining work, as exemplified by its recent instruction from Sumitomo Metal Mining on financing a $2.5b high-pressure acid leach project in South Sulawesi. The team also has a strong reputation in both upstream and downstream oil and gas projects, most notably for the joint venture between the government owned oil company Pertamino and major Russian energy company Rosneft. The team also has a growing focus on infrastructure and renewable energy developments. David Dawborn, Dhani Pattinggi, and Matthew Goerke are the key names of note.
‘Great practical knowledge and insight based on the depth of experience in the industry.’
‘David Dawborn’s wealth of experience working in Indonesia and in the mining sector and his practical and commercial advice.’
Sumitomo Metal Mining
Newcrest Mining Limited
PT Harita Jayaraya
PT Cita Mineral Investindo Tbk.
PetroChina International Jabung Ltd.
PETRONAS Carigali (Jabung) Ltd.
PT Pertamina Rosneft Pengolahan dan Petrokimia
Road King Infrastructure Ltd
PLUS Expressway International Berhad
Asia Power Development Platform
Changi Airport Group
Vitol Asia Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Sumitomo Metal Mining in relation to its ongoing investment in, development and financing of a $2.5b high-pressure acid leach (HPAL) project in South Sulawesi through a joint venture with PT Vale Indonesia.
- Advised PLUS Expressway International Berhad on the $500mi divestment of its interest in an Indonesian toll road company to PT Bashkara Utama Sedaya and CPPIB, a Canadian pension fund.
- Advised the project company (established by Pertamina and Rosneft) on the development of the $15b Tuban grass root refinery and petrochemical complex in Tuban, East Java.
Makarim & Taira S. is a leading independent firm for energy and mining work, with a mix of domestic and international clients. Rahayu Ningsih Hoed leads the practice and is particularly strong in project financing and land acquisitions. Other important figures include foreign direct investment expert Maria Sagrado, banking and finance specialist Kurniawan Tanzil, and regulatory and commercial expert Vincent Ariesta Lie.
PT Lestari Banten Energi
Toba Bara Sejahtera
PT Agung Pomodoro Land
Chubu Electric Power
PT Pertamina (oil and gas state-owned company)
PT Asahimas Chemical
Shanghai Construction Group
PT Takenaka-Total Joint Op
China Shenhua Energy Company Limited
PT Freeport Indonesia
PT Shenhua Guohua Lion Power Indonesia
PT Pertamina Geothermal Energy
PT Toba Bara Sejahtra Tbk
- Acting as the Indonesian counsel to PTFI in its development of a copper smelter and precious metals refinery in East Java.
- Acted as the Indonesian counsel to PT Lestari Banten Energi in connection with international offering outside Indonesia of $775 million.
- Acted as legal adviser to Toba Bara Group’s companies as the Buyers in the sale and purchase of 100% shares in PT Bayu Alam Sejahtera and certain assets related to a hybrid wind power project.
Widyawan & Partners
Widyawan & Partners is best known for its work within the oil and gas sector, with a growing reputation for transport infrastructure projects. Founding partner Widyawan is a highly respected name in energy and infrastructure, having regularly handled mandates for the Indonesian government's state-owned oil company Pertamina. Senior foreign legal counsel David Holme is another key name, noted for his expertise in the corporate and finance aspects of energy and infrastructure projects.
‘The team taking care of us consists of a foreign lawyer and several Indonesian lawyers and job assignment among them is very efficient.’
‘David is very capable as a leader of the team and among the team member, I appreciate Marinza as she is very quick to understand our points and give proper advice.’
PT Pertamina (Persero)
Inpex Masela Limited
PT Medco Power Indonesia
PT Badak NGL
PT Pertamina Hulu Indonesia
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
RATCH Group PCL
PT Amman Mineral Industry
China Development Bank
- Advised Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its acquisition of a 45% stake in PT Lintas Marga Sedaya (LMS), the concession holder and operator of the Cikopo-Palimanan (Cipali) toll road in Indonesia.
- Advising DP World on its joint venture with Maspion Group for the development of container terminal and industrial and logistics park in Gresik, East Java.
- Advising Inpex Masela Ltd (sole operator of the Abadi gas field in the Masela block in the Arafura Sea in Maluku Province in Indonesia) on the development of this large and technically challenging onshore LNG plant.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners benefits international sponsors with its ‘close contacts with the various regulatory and SOE bodies in Indonesia’, advising on major energy and transport projects in the region. Founding partner Ibrahim Assegaf jointly leads the team and is highly experienced in oil and gas projects, as well as major infrastructure projects. Kanya Satwika advised Abu Dhabi Future Energy on the first floating solar power project in Indonesia and the largest in Southeast Asia. Ahmad Fikri Assegaf is another important name and is highly experienced in satellite financing.
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar)
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Gurit Holding AG
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
MUFG Bank, Ltd.
PT Binsar Natorang Energi
The Export-Import Bank of China
The Export-Import Bank of Korea
PT Indonesia Power
PT Pasifik Satelit Nusantara
PT Pembangkitan Jawa Bali Investasi
PT Penjaminan Infrastruktur Indonesia (Persero) Tbk.
PT Rukun Raharja Tbk
Star Energy (Wayang Windu) Limited
Star Energy Geothermal (Salak) Ltd
Star Energy Geothermal Darajat Ltd.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
The Leading Asia’s Private Infrastructure Fund administrated by ADB (“ADB LEAP”)
- Acted as the Indonesian counsel to Masdar in its partnership with Indonesian state electricity company Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN) to develop Indonesia’s first floating solar power plant.
- Acted as the Indonesian counsel to the Lenders in providing a financing facility to PT Medco Ratch Power Riau for the development of a 275 MW Combined-Cycle Power Plant in Riau, Sumatra.
- Acted as the Indonesian counsel for the refinancing lenders in the refinancing of the initial project finance loan of Indonesia’s first wind power project, Sidrap Wind Farm.
Oentoeng Suria & Partners has been advising international sponsors on major infrastructure projects in the region, most recently for China Development Bank on $ 4.5b finance of a high speed railway service from Jakarta to Bandung. Foreign legal consultant Frédéric Draps leads the practice and is an expert in infrastructure projects, as well as conventional and renewable energy projects. As well as Bahasa and English, he is fluent speaker of French, Dutch and Danish.
- Advising Chiyoda Corporation on the project development of the £3b Freeport (Manyar) Smelter Project,
- Advising China Development Bank on the $4.5b project financing for the development of the Jakarta-Bandung High Speed Rail Project.
- Advising Société Générale as lender, hedging bank and agent on the project financing of thefirst two utility scale solar PV power projects being project financed in Indonesia.
Soemadipradja & Taher has been historically associated with mining, oil and gas, and infrastructure projects, which has been further enhanced due to its recent tie up with the similarly focused Singaporean firm Allen & Gledhill LLP . Practice head Mochamad Kasmali has a broad skillset in energy and infrastructure, with a notable specialism in environmental law. Ardian Deny Sidharta similarly has a strong background in environmental law, as well as forestry, procurement and land acquisitions.
PT PENGEMBANGAN PARIWISATA INDONESIA (PERSERO) – ITDC
PT Doosan Heavy Industries Indonesia and PT Hutama Karya (Persero)
- Provided due diligence to Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction in relation to the construction of two power plants.
- Advised Pengembangan Pariwisata Indonesia on the construction of a special economic zone in Lombok.
With an enviable client roster of Saudi Aramco, ExxonMobil and Chevron, SSEK Legal Consultants has a very strong offering in the areas of oil and gas, mining and power projects. Outside of these core areas, the team is also skilled in the region’s growing geothermal sector as well as smelting projects. Michael D Twomey leads the team and is notably adept in handling upstream and downstream oil and gas projects. Fitriana Mahiddin similarly has a strong emphasis on the oil and gas sector, as well as on coalbed methane and mining. Corporate partner Michael Carl also has a strong focus on the energy sector, particularly for supporting Chinese investors.
Korea South-East Power
Korea Environment Corporation
Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction
Energy Development Corporation
- Assisting a consortium of companies participating in the rehabilitation of a 25 MW waste-to-energy project.
- Represented China Shenhua as the developer in several major power projects in Indonesia.
- Assisted PTPertamina with the acquisition of a majority stake in Tuban Petrochemical Industries (TPI).
Budidjaja International Lawyers
Acting for local and international clients, Budidjaja International Lawyers has been instructed on major corporate mandates concerning the mining and oil and gas industries. Narada Kumara is the key name of note and alongside his corporate expertise has experience in complementary areas such as environment, real estate and construction law.
Mochtar Karuwin Komar
Mochtar Karuwin Komar’s skillset within this space covers both conventional and sustainable energy sources, but have been mostly active on geothermal projects. Other renewable projects the team has experience of handling include wind and waste-to-energy projects. For fossil fuel projects, the team typically handles coal and natural gas mandates. Name partner Emir Kusumaatmadja is a key contact.