Projects and energy in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law's broad projects and energy practice advises on power plants, rail projects, oil and gas, and mining, as well as airports and seaports. Emir Nurmansyah leads the team and has extensive experience in project financing. Ayik Candrawulan Gunadi is another key figure and is highly active in rail transportation projects. Herry Nuryanto Kurniawan and Freddy Karyadi are both experts in power plant projects.
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance
The Export-Import Bank of Korea
China Development Bank
International Finance Corporation
Indonesian state rail operator
Kereta Api Indonesia
Kereta Cepat Indonesia China Railink
Barito Pacific Group
Mitsui &Co., Ltd.
- Advised Hyundai Engineering and Construction on the development of the 120MW Peusangan 4 hydro peaker power plant.
- Advised Komipo on its agreement with BS Energy, Sinar Toba Energi, Dohwa Kodeco Holdings and Siborpa Eco Power to develop the 114MW Siborpa hydroelectric power plant in North Sumatra province.
- Advised project company Kereta Cepat Indonesia China on developing the $5.9bn Jakarta-Bandung high-speed rail project (JBHSRP).
- Acting as counsel to Tidal Bridge on its ongoing development of an 800-meter-long floating bridge and tidal power plant at Palmerah on the Larantuka Strait in East Nusa Tenggara province.
- Acting as Indonesian counsel to a financial consortium on the $1.74bn financing of a coal-fired power generating facility being built in Kanci village, Astanajapura District, Cirebon.
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy has a highly respected practice within this sphere, known for its work on big-ticket power projects in both conventional and renewable energy projects. Founder Daniel Ginting is at the helm of the practice and has advised on energy, mining and infrastructure developments and financings. Michael Tardif is also a key figure and regularly advises on complex cross-border energy projects. Also highly recommended is Tarsis Halintar, whose standout specialty is handling public-private partnerships.
- Advised the lenders in relation to the development, construction and operation of the 1760MW Jawa-1 gas-fired power plant in Indonesia.
- Advised Mizuho Bank and MUFG Bank, and their Indonesian branches, in relation to equity bridge loans provided to Jawa Satu Regas and Jawa Satu Power in connection with the construction of the 1,760MW Jawa-1 combined-cycle gas turbine power generation plant and floating storage and regasification unit in Indonesia.
- Assisted Pembangkitan Jawa Bali with its proposed development of the 800MW Jawa-3 gas combined-cycle power plant in Indonesia.
- Acting for the Indonesian sponsors of the development of a 1,200-1,400MW LNG-to-power project in Bangladesh.
- Advising Mitsui & Co Ltd and Shikoku Electric Power on the acquisition of a 30% stake in a subsidiary of renewables energy producer Terregra Asia Energy for the development of the Batang Toru 3 10MW mini hydropower project in South Tapanuli regency, North Sumatra province.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is a key player in the Indonesian market for projects and energy work, with a strong reputation for handling developments related to power, renewables, oil and gas, mining, transport and utilities. Luke Devine heads the practice and has advised both sponsors and project companies on energy, mining and infrastructure projects. Foreign legal consultant Norman Bissett is also a key figure and is highly skilled in infrastructure and oil and gas projects.
Other key lawyers:
Kereta Cepat Indonesia China
Sarulla Operations Limited
Electricity Generating Public Company Ltd (EGCO)
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for PTFI in the sale of its majority stake in the world’s second-biggest copper mine, Grasberg, to the government of the Republic of Indonesia, through Indonesia Asahan Aluminium, for $3.85bn.
- Acted for Wijaya Karya on the development of the high-speed rail project that will connect Jakarta and Bandung and create Indonesia’s first high-speed train.
- Advised Vena Energy (formerly known as Equis Energy), one of the largest renewable energy IPPs in Asia, on four solar projects in Lombok and North Sulawesi.
- Representing Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co Ltd on its disposal of DSME ENR Cepu to Rukun Raharja, an IDX-listed gas distribution company.
- Represented PT Tirta Lyonnaise Medan in relation to the development of the Medan drinking water project.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has long been a key player in the projects and energy space, particularly in areas such as oil and gas and mining. David Dawborn is a leading figure and advises on mining, oil and gas, power and construction projects. Dhani Pattinggi is also skilled in these areas, as well as in waste-to-energy projects. Recently promoted partner Matthew Goerke is also highly recommended.
David Dawborn; Dhani Pattinggi; Matthew Goerke
‘Their response rate is always quick and accurate.’
- Acted for Rio Tinto on the sale of its $3.5bn stake in Freeport’s Grasberg copper mine in a complex and high-profile sale to Indonesian state-owned mining enterprise Inalum.
- Advising Fortum on its development of a $360m waste-to-energy plant in Jakarta
- Advising Pertamina and Rosneft on the development of a $15bn grass root refinery and petrochemical complex in Tuban, East Java.
- Advising AWE on the sale of its interest in the Bulu production sharing contract to Coro Energy
- Advising Indonesian gold and copper mining investor AP Investment on its investment in Indotan, which operates a gold mine in West Sumbawa
Makarim & Taira S. is highly experienced in energy and infrastructure projects, and primarily acts for the projects company on these mandates. Rahayu Ningsih Hoed is one of two practice heads and advises on power plant developments, mining projects and land acquisitions. Vincent Ariesta Lie also leads the team and has advised on mining, power plant, and oil and gas projects. Other key figures include Yohanes Masengi, who is skilled in project financing and land acquisitions; Maria Sagrado, who is particularly experienced in advising Chinese clients on mining and energy investments; banking and finance expert Kurniawan Tanzil; and procurement specialist Heru Mardijarto.
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed; Vincent Ariesta Lie
Toba Bara Sejahtera
Agung Podomoro Land
Chubu Electronic Power
Shanghai Construction Group
Takenaka-Total Joint Op
China Shenhua Energy Company Limited
Widyawan & Partners
Widyawan & Partners has a longstanding presence in the oil and gas, power and infrastructure sectors, and acts for both sponsors and project companies. Founding partner Widyawan is one of three practice heads and has regularly represented both state-owned entities and multinational companies on high-profile oil and gas projects. Also leading the team are Alan Frederick, who also has a strong emphasis on the oil and gas sector, and David Holme, who works across all aspects of energy and infrastructure.
Widyawan; Alan Frederick; David Holme
‘The team provides advice that is pragmatic, to the point and sensitive to commercial considerations. Vast experience of Indonesian oil and gas practice, which is useful in a country with little written precedent. Very knowledgeable about Indonesian laws and regulations governing the oil and gas industry.’
‘Mr. Widyawan has 30+ years of experience in the Indonesian oil and gas industry, and is highly respected by industry regulators and participants.’
‘Alan Frederik has excellent understanding of how the government is likely to view a particular matter, which is critical in an industry that is heavily regulated.’
Inpex Masela Limited
Medco Power Indonesia
Pertamina Hulu Indonesia
Ratchaburi Electricity Generation Holding
SCR Sibelco NV
- Acting for the Pertamina, Marubeni and Sojitz consortium on the development and financing of 1,760MW Jawa 1 gas-fired combined-cycle power project in West Java, Indonesia.
- Advised Pamapersada Nusantara in relation to the acquisition by its subsidiary, PT Danusa Tambang Nusantara, of the Martabe gold and silver mine located in North Sumatra province in Indonesia.
- Advising DP World on its current and proposed investments in the Indonesian port sector.
- Advising Pertamina in respect of the joint venture development agreement for the Cilacap refinery upgrade.
- Advising Inpex Masela Ltd (the sole operator of the Abadi gas field in the Masela block in the Arafura Sea) on the development of an onshore LNG plant.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has a strong background in energy and infrastructure projects, with expertise in representing both sponsors and project companies. Ibrahim Assegaf leads the team and is very active in this space, representing sponsors and projects companies on infrastructure projects. Also heading the team is Kanya Satwika, who regularly represents the government on high-profile power projects. Also recommended is banking and finance expert Ahmad Fikri Assegaf, who is regularly involved in project finance matters.
Meindo Elang Indah
The Export-Import Bank of China
Asian Development Bank
Star Energy Geothermal (Wayang Windu) Limited
Geo Dipa Energi
Penjaminan Infrastruktur Indonesia
Pasifik Satelit Nusantara
Chandra Asri Petrochemical Tbk
Chandra Asri Perkasa
MUFG Bank, Ltd.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Merdeka Copper Gold Tbk.
Indonesia Asahan Aluminium
Medco Energi Internasional Tbk
Medco Power Indonesia
Barito Pacific Tbk
Pelabuhan Indonesia III
Suez (South East Asia) Limited
- Assisted Meindo as part of the onshore EPC consortium of contractors for the Jawa-1 project, a 1,760MW combined-cycle gas-fired power plant project.
- Representing CEXIM on the project financing facility for the construction of the 2 x 620MW Sumsel 8 mine-mouth coal-fired power plant
- Advising Asian Development Bank on the financing for the development of Indonesia’s first utility-scale solar photovoltaic plants.
- Represented Geo Dipa Energi proceedings against Bumigas Energi, which went through the courts from the Indonesian National Arbitration Board (BANI) to the Supreme Court, to terminate the Dieng and Patuha geothermal project development agreement.
- Advised Penjamin Infrastruktur Indonesia, as the guarantor, on a 142km railway project in South Sulawesi.
Mochtar Karuwin Komar is particularly active in advising on geothermal energy projects, but is also known to assist with oil and gas, wind energy and infrastructure projects. Emir Kusumaatmadja leads the team and has advised on both the project and lender side of major deals in the region.
Oentoeng Suria & Partners
Oentoeng Suria & Partners' team has been strengthened with the addition of Frédéric Draps from Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy. Draps is experienced in advising on power, oil and gas, mining and infrastructure projects. Ratih Nawangsari leads the team and is very active in advising Chinese investors on power and infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
China Development Bank
PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk
The Bank of Tokyo
Bank China Construction Bank Indonesia
Bank Central Asia Tbk
Sarana Multi Infrastruktur
China Construction Bank
- Advising China Development Bank on an approximately $4.5bn financing for the development of the Jakarta-Bandung high-speed rail project.
- Advising the bidder on carrying out a development of LNG distribution and regasification network solutions in Indonesia in response to a tender run by PLN for the process of procuring regasified LNG feedstock for power plants spread across ten locations in the central provincial states in Indonesia.
- Advising China Construction Bank, Bank of China and Bank ICBC Indonesia on the project financing of the 2x300MW Sumsel 1 IPP located in South Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Advising sponsors in relation to the development of the 2x200MW Meulaboh (Nagan Raya units 3 and 4) coal-fired project, which is to be located in Aceh province (Sumatra).
- Advising BAI in relation to all legal and contractual aspects of the development of a 1 million tonne per annum smelter grade alumina refinery to be located in Mempawah, West Kalimantan.
Soemadipradja & Taher advises on infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, and power projects. Founding partner Rahmat Soemadipradja leads the team and is known for his work on mineral, coal and energy projects. Mochamad Kasmali is also heavily involved in the energy and natural resources space, and is very active in handling the corporate and environmental aspects of projects. Also recommended is Ardian Deny Sidharta, who is very active in infrastructure projects and stands out for his specialties in environmental, forestry and insurance-related issues.
E-United Ferro Indonesia
Rosneft Oil Company
BP Petrochemicals Indonesia
Baywa r.e. Ltd.
Petronas Carigali Ketapang II Ltd.
- Acted as legal counsel to PT E-United Ferro Indonesia on a planned land acquisition.
- Acted as Indonesian counsel to Rosneft on a joint venture to develop and operate a new gas refinery and petrochemical complex in East Java.
- Assisted Natarang with its plan to expand its contract of work area.
- Acted as legal counsel to BPPI in a land sale and purchase transaction involving Lotte Group.
- Acted as legal counsel to BayWa in assessing possible investment arrangements for a renewable energy project in Indonesia.
SSEK Legal Consultants has a strong reputation for handling mining, oil and gas, and power projects, and is one of the leading players in the growing geothermal sector. Michael Twomey leads the team and is an expert in oil and gas, mining and power projects. Other key figures include Michael Carl, who is very strong in the mining and energy sectors, and Dyah Soewito, who is skilled in the oil and gas and infrastructure spaces. Also recommended is Darrell Johnson, who is highly experienced in oil and gas projects.
Energy Development Corporation
- Represented China Shenhua, one of the largest developers of coal-powered IPPs in China, as the developer in several major power projects in Indonesia.
- Assisted Maynilad with bidding for a number of water projects in Indonesia.
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Ophir Energy in the acquisition of the Indonesian petroleum assets of Santos, a leading independent oil and gas producer in the Asia Pacific region, comprising two production sharing contracts
- Acted for a consortium of lenders on the development of a coal-fired power project.
- Assisted Ensco with the preparation of a loan agreement
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners is very active in infrastructure, oil and gas, and mining projects. Andre Rahadian leads the practice and has a strong track record of handling infrastructure projects for both private companies and state entities. Also recommended is Giovanni Mofsol Muhammad, who is very experienced in power plant projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andre Rahadian is particularly recommended.’
Indonesia Asahan Aluminium
Sarana Multi Infrastruktur
Angkasa Pura I
Teknik Alum Service
- Advised the government of the Republic of Indonesia on the acquisition of 51% of the shares in Freeport Indonesia, valued at $3.8bn
- Advised Sarana Multi Infrastruktur, a state-owned infrastructure company, on financing a construction project worth $13.2m
- Assisted with the financing for the construction of Kulon Progo International Airport.
- Advised Teknik Alum Service, a subsidiary of Silkroad Nickel on a new long-term mining exploration agreement worth more than S$90m with Sinohydro Corporation and Sepco II Indo to produce at least six million committed tonnes of nickel ore under a five-year fixed price exploration agreement.
UMBRA – Strategic Legal Solutions
UMBRA – Strategic Legal Solutions' projects and energy team focuses on power, infrastructure, oil and gas, mining, metals, and renewable energy matters. Kirana Sastrawijaya jointly leads the team and is highly skilled in advising both lenders and project companies on power, infrastructure and energy projects. Fellow practice head Reggy Firmansyah is heavily involved in the oil and gas, power and mining sectors.
Kirana Sastrawijaya; Reggy Firmansyah
Korean Development Co Ltd
Dohwa Engineering Co Ltd
Green Energy Geothermal Ltd
- Advised oil company Pertamina on the project financing of an oil and gas project in the Tiung Biru gas fields.
- Assisted Citra Multi Energi with the development and financing of a 10MW mini hydropower plant project in North Sumatra.
- Representing PT GCL Indo Tenaga in relation to the financing of project Kalbar-1 in West Kalimantan
- Advising Jasa Marga on the financing of the Jakarta-Bandung high-speed railway project