Antitrust and competition in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law regularly represents multinational clients on both contentious and non-contentious competition matters. Chandrawati Dewi leads the practice and has extensive experience in handling the antitrust issues that arise out of cross-border deals. Other key members of the team include Agus Ahadi Deradjat, who is has a strong background in the pharmaceutical and TMT industries, and Gustaaf Reerink, who is an expert in merger control, cartel and abuse of dominance matters.
‘Very attentive and thinks from the perspective of clients.’
‘Goes beyond what is asked of them.’
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
LG International Corp
Apro Financial Co Ltd
Mitsui & Co. Ltd.
- Handling all aspects of the post-merger, consolidation or acquisition (MCA) notification process in Indonesia for Trina Group Ltd in relation to its global acquisitions of Kuoni Holdings Plc and GTA Travel Holding Ltd.
- Representing Spain-based Hotelbeds as Indonesian counsel on the competition aspects of its global acquisition of UK-based travel company GTA.
- Advising CPPIB Monroe Canada Inc in relation to the Indonesian competition law aspects of its global acquisition of a 40% stake in Glencore Agricultural Products.
- Acting for Green Global Lestari in relation to the Indonesian competition law aspects of its global acquisition of 95% of the ordinary shares in PT Tintin Boyok Sawit Makmur and 95% of the ordinary shares in PT Grand Utama Mandiri, which was previously held by PT Royal Indo Mandiri, part of PT Barito Pacific Tbk.
- Representing South Korean company Apro Financial Co Ltd in relation to the Indonesian competition law aspects of its global acquisition of a majority stake in PT Bank Dinar Indonesia Tbk.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners' work within this space centres on handling disputes against the regulator and advising on the competition aspects of M&A and general compliance issues. Farid Nasution has recently been promoted to partner and formerly worked for the competition authority in Indonesia. He is highly skilled in merger filings, competition litigation and compliance. Other key members of the team include Asep Ridwan and Vovo Iswanto, who are both experts in competition litigation. The team works across all sectors but is perhaps most active in the manufacturing industry.
‘Solid advice on merger control, with added benefit of in-house economists.’
‘Farid Nasution was previously at the Indonesian Competition Commission (KPPU) and Anastasia Pritahayu is an economist, both of which are useful.’
Reco Promenade Private Limited
Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa
Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing
- Represented Japfa Comfeed Indonesia in an appeal against a decision of the Indonesia competition authority concerning its acquisition of Indonesian animal feed distributor Multi Makanan Permai.
- Acting for Tirta Investama in an appeal brought by the competition authority concerning unfair practice allegations.
- Acted for Meratus Line in an investigation involving price-fixing allegations.
- Advising Reco on its obligations to notify the authorities of its recent acquisition of shares in an Indonesian company, PT Raharja Mitra Familia.
- Advising AKAB in relation to post-merger notifications following its acquisition of several companies in 2018.
Merger control filings and litigation are the main aspects of Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills' competition practice. Team head Sakurayuki specialises in competition law and also has a very strong background in the TMT sector. Other key individuals within this field include corporate practice head David Dawborn, who deals with advisory issues, and disputes expert Narendra Adiyasa, who handles the contentious side of the practice.
- Represented salt producer PT Cheetham Garam Indonesia in a high-profile cartel investigation conducted by Indonesia’s competition watchdog.
- Represented Taobao China Holding Limited, a member of the Alibaba Group, in relation to its subscription of 883,658 series G shares in leading Indonesian online marketplace PT Tokopedia and assessed whether a merger control filing was necessary.
- Advising Aisin on the submission of its merger control notification to the Indonesian competition authority (KPPU) in relation to its acquisition of Toyota Autoparts Philippines Inc.
- Advising Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation on the submission of its merger control notification to the KPPU in relation to its acquisition of Nisshin Steel Co, Ltd.
- Assisted Sumitomo Corporation with submitting its merger control notification to the KPPU in relation to its minority investment in Axiata Digital Advertising Sdn Bhd.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is skilled in both contentious and non-contentious issues pertaining to competition law. Mochamad Fachri leads the team and is an expert in advising on merger control issues, as well as defending clients against allegations of violations of competition law.
Hogan Lovells DNFP has extensive experience in advising on antitrust compliance and disputes, and acts for a number of multinational companies in this space. Chalid Heyder leads the practice and regularly acts on competition-related litigation. Other key figures include senior associate Dyah Paramita, who is an expert in merger control filings, and Teguh Darmawan, who often advises on regulatory issues.
SSEK Legal Consultants' highly experienced M&A team often advises on the merger control and competition issues surrounding major deals. Fahrul Yusuf is the key name to note and is an expert in competition regulations and approvals.
Procter & Gamble
China Construction Bank
Shinhan Investment Corporation
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Grab Inc in the acquisition of Uber’s business and assets in Indonesia.
- Reviewed Roche’s distribution arrangements.
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Procter & Gamble with regard to its acquisition of the worldwide consumer health business of Merck KGaA.