ABNR Counsellors at Law offers a full range of services in antitrust law and advises clients on cartel, dominant position, and merger control, as well as competition-related compliance and litigation matters. In addition, the team regularly conducts corporate internal investigations relating to antitrust issues, such as price-fixing and tender rigging. Key sectors of expertise include the heavy industry, commodities, FMCG, TMT, pharmaceutical and e-commerce. Practice head Chandrawati Dewi advises a broad range of multinational clients on merger-control matters. Within the team, competition law specialist Gustaaf Reerink has significant experience advising e-commerce clients on antitrust issues; Agus Ahadi Deradjat has a strong interest in the TMT sector; and senior associate Bilal Anwari represents clients before the Indonesian Competition Commission (KPPU).
Antitrust and competition in Indonesia
Chandrawati Dewi; Gustaaf Reerink; Agus Ahadi Deradjat
Other key lawyers:
‘ABNR is very knowledgeable about anti-competitive agreements, resale price maintenance, and abuse of dominant position. Their background knowledge and expertise in these areas contribute to their excellent and efficient advice.’
‘Agus Ahadi Deradjat is very responsive, and Gustaaf Reerink is an excellent competition law lawyer.’
‘Gustaaf Reerink is very prompt and clear in his advice. He understands the client’s needs and effectively guides us to pre-empt any issues for our antitrust matters in Indonesia.’
Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) Private Limited
Compass Diversified Holdings
London Stock Exchange Group
CEME S.P.A. (a subsidiary of InvestIndustrial Holdings)
One Equity Partners (OEP)
LG International Corporation
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has a strong competition practice with a broad offering; the team handles a range of matters including general competition advice, compliance, cartel investigations and abuse of dominance. The team has a multidisciplinary approach and advises clients on competition litigation and antitrust compliance in the M&A space. HMBC Rikrik Rizkiyana has significant experience advising on merger clearances and representing clients before the KPPU. Farid Nasution is another key name to note and has previous experience working in the KPPU. Nasution is recommended for merger fillings and competition litigation, particularly in the telecoms, pharmaceuticals, automotive and energy industries.
HMBC Rikrik Rizkiyana; Farid Nasution
‘They have an outstanding team of competition lawyers. They know their regulator and their subject matter (competition law and regulations) very well. They are strong advocates and very responsive to co-counsel and clients.’
PT Tirta Investama (Danone Indonesia)
PT Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Indonesia
PT Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indonesia
PT Semen Indonesia (Persero) Tbk.
PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk.
PT Adi Sarana Lelang
PT Pasifik Satelit Nusantara
Huawei Tech Investment
PT Ajinomoto Indonesia
HSF (S) Pte Ltd
Thymelicus Holding B.V.
Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
PT Sri Rejeki Isman Tbk
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
PT Bank Permata Tbk
PT Johnson and Johnson Indonesia
PT Japfa Comfeed Indonesia Tbk
PT Asahimas Chemical
PT Manunggal Adipura
Itochu Techno-Solutions Corporation
Mizuho Leasing Co., Ltd.
- Representing Gojek in the Indonesia Competition Commission’s investigation of the alleged violation of Article 29 of the Competition Law concerning the share acquisition of PT Global Loket Sejahtera.
- Successfully represented PTMA in an anti-dumping investigation by the Directorate General of Trade Remedies of India concerning the import of viscose spun yarn exported from Indonesia, China PR and Vietnam.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has an experienced contentious and non-contentious competition practice and showcases particular expertise in advising on antitrust aspects of M&A transactions. The practice has a global client base and advises multinationals in industries ranging from manufacturing to technology. Competition specialist Sakurayuki heads the practice and has strong telecoms industry expertise. Disputes partner Narendra Adiyasa is a key name to note for contentious anti-competition matters.
Other key lawyers:
KB Kookmin Bank
Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha
Nippon Steel Corporation
Mitsubishi Heavy Industry
- Advised KB Kookmin Bank on competition law aspects and handled its merger filing with the KPPU in relation to its acquisition of control in Bank Bukopin.
- Advised Kansai Electric on competition law aspects of its joint venture with Medco Power Indonesia, including conducting a merger control analysis and making 10 merger filings with the KPPU.
- Assisted Honda and Hitachi in multiple merger control filings with the KPPU in relation to the merger of three Honda subsidiaries and one Hitachi subsidiary, all major players in Indonesia’s automotive parts business.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie regularly advises clients on merger filings before the KPPU and represents clients in a broad range of industries including retailing, mining, manufacturing, energy, and financial services. The practice has an experienced advisory offering and assists clients with compliance reviews and internal investigations. Mochamad Fachri has significant experience in advising clients before the KPPU for merger control matters. Wimbanu Widyatmoko is another key name to note and has expertise in anti-monopoly and merger clearance cases.
Mochamad Fachri; Wimbanu Widyatmoko
PT Bank Syariah Indonesia Tbk
PT Conch South Kalimantan Cement
Zurich Life Insurance Ltd.
Siemens Healthineers Holding III B.V.
- Advised Hitachi Ltd on a merger filing concerning its acquisition of ABB power grids business.
- Advised ORIX Corporation on a late merger filing investigation concerning the company’s failure to notify its 2015 acquisition of SMS Finance.
- Representing Bank Syariah Indonesia in submitting a merger notification to the KPPU concerning the merger between the Syariah units of the three leading Government-owned banks, Bank BRI Syariah, BNI Syariah and Bank Syariah Mandiri.
Hogan Lovells in association with Dewi Negara Fachri & Partners advises on a range of competition and antitrust issues including cartel investigations, dominance issues and merger control filings. Office managing partner Chalid Heyder heads the practice alongside senior associate Dyah Paramita, who is ‘outstanding‘ and specialises in cartel investigations and defence, bid-rigging cases and merger control filings.
Chalid Heyder; Dyah Paramita
‘Always available and very practical, plus able to clearly explain and communicate with client on the considerations required for legal proceedings in Indonesia. We have used them for our PK filing to the supreme court in Indonesia, and were more than satisfied with the level of service provided. English language capability is higher compared to other top tier firms in Jakarta.’
‘Timeliness and thoroughness are the key strength of Hogan Lovells team in Jakarta, and Dyah Paramita stands out. Her efforts to constantly reach out to clients, and lowering the bar for communication is outstanding.’
‘Hogan Lovells DNFP offers full antitrust and competition services, ranging from defence, investigation, advisory and even merger control. Their access to Hogan Lovells’ global network is very useful especially when we’re trying to understand our business risks in various jurisdictions, where relevant.’
‘Dyah Paramita is a leading figure in competition and antitrust in Indonesia. She’s very knowledgeable and easy to work with. She offers many perspectives and thinks creatively to help us navigate the grey areas in the laws. She’s very well connected to the relevant governmental institutions and authorities and totally reliable. Although she is a senior associate, I can see that her capacity and capabilities are on par with partners in local law firms.’
SSEK Legal Consultants regularly advises clients on merger filings before the KPPU. The team also assists clients with issues involving licensing and franchising of products and services, government procurement rules and unfair trade practices. Fahrul S Yusuf and founding partner Ira A Eddymurthy are the key names to note.
Ira A. Eddymurthy; Fahrul S. Yusuf
Procter & Gamble
China Construction Bank
Shinhan Investment Corporation
- Successfully represented a motorcycle manufacturer against a consumer lawsuit related to alleged cartel practices.
- Assisted an Asia-headquartered hotel owner-operator with the merger filing requirements with the KPPU relating to its acquisition of an Indonesian property company.
- Advising a digital content service provider on the KPPU investigation related to its business in the digital media space.
Walalangi & Partners in association with Nishimura & Asahi has a broad antitrust and competition offering that covers cartel, pricing policies, rebates and territorial division, vertical integration and KPPU proceedings. Luky I. Walalangi has a broad range of sector expertise that includes the manufacturing and financial services sectors, and jointly leads the team with Miriam Andreta.
Luky I. Walalangi; Miriam Andreta
‘The team has great experience with merger filing.’
‘Mirian Andreta managed the discussion with the competition authority well.’
Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
Nippon Steel Corporation
Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance
Tokyo Gas Asia Pte. Ltd and Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd.
Mizuho Bank, Ltd.
Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd and Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd.
DeClout Pte. Ltd.
PT Dhost Telekomunikasi Nusantara
Toyota Tsusho Corporation
PT Diamond Development Indonesia
SMBC Nikko Securities Inc.
PT TTLR (Indonesian subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho Corporation)
PT TREC (Indonesian subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho Corporation)
GS Yuasa Corporation
Aozora Bank, Ltd.
Saint-Gobain Indonesian subsidiaries
PT Resona Indonesia Finance
FamilyMart Co., Ltd.
- Advising Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Company, Limited (MUL) on its Indonesian merger-related matter with Hitachi Capital Corporation (HC).
- Assisting Orient Corporation with its mandatory post-acquisition filing to the Indonesian Business Competition Supervisory Commission, in relation to its shares acquisition of PT Mizuho Balimor Finance.