With a specialist competition practice, ABNR Counsellors at Law is highly experienced in cartel investigations, dominant positions, merger control, as well as general compliance matters. The team is jointly led by Chandrawati Dewi who is particularly strong in assisting international clients with the competition elements of inbound investments, and foreign counsel and competition law specialist Gustaaf Reerink who specialises in merger controls. Senior associate Bilal Anwari also specialises in competition and regularly advises clients on appeals before the Indonesian Competition Law Authority. The team regularly works with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP on cross-border matters.
Antitrust and competition in Indonesia
Other key lawyers:
- Advising an Indonesian water bottling company on the competition implications of its acquisition of water-source assets from a competitor.
- Advising a social media company on the competition aspects and implications of its introduction of a number of new products into the Indonesian market.
- Advising an international airline ticketing software provider on the Competition Supervisory Commission’s investigation into a suspected price-fixing cartel in Indonesia’s domestic airline industry.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners is uniquely positioned in the market due to members of team having previously worked for the Indonesian competition legal authority (KPPU), an advantage which has led the group to advising on high profile appeals against the KPPU. HMBC Rikrik Rizkiyana was involved in the drafting of the country’s consumer and competition law and is highly skilled in merger control and cartel investigations. Farid Nasution formerly worked for the prosecution division of the KPPU and is adept in handling competition litigation and merger filings. The firm enjoys a strategic alliance with Singaporean law firm Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP.
‘Solid advice on merger control, with added benefit of in-house economists.’
‘Farid Nasution was previously at the Indonesian Competition Commission (KPPU) and Anastasia Pritahayu is an economist, both of which are useful.’
PT Tirta Investama (Danone Indonesia)
PT Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Indonesia
PT Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indonesia
PT Semen Indonesia (Persero) Tbk.
PT Medco Eneergi Internasional Tbk.
PT Adi Sarana Lelang
PT Pasifik Satelit Nusantara
Huawei Tech Investment
PT Ajinomoto Indonesia
HSF (S) Pte Ltd
Thymelicus Holding B.V.
Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
PT Sri Rejeki Isman Tbk
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
PT Bank Permata Tbk
PT Johnson and Johnson Indonesia
PT Japfa Comfeed Indonesia Tbk
PT Asahimas Chemical
PT Manunggal Adipura
Itochu Techno-Solutions Corporation
PT Meratus Line
PT Salam Pacific Indonesia Lines
- Advised Gojek on all Indonesian law matters relevant to the Indonesian competition law authority’s procedure on merger control.
- Assisted Nissan with securing a ‘no objection’ finding from the Indonesian competition law authority in relation to its acquisition of the shares in Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.
- Represented shipping companies Meratus in its appeal to the District Court in relation to a price fixing decision of the Indonesian competition law authority against Meratus,
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has a strong track record in advising on merger control filings and cartel investigations, with a client roster of domestic and international clients. Competition specialist Sakurayuki leads the practice and has a particular focus on the TMT, life sciences and infrastructure sectors. Litigator Narendra Adiyasa is also very active in antitrust, and most recently advised Cheetam Salt on their cartel investigation before the Indonesian Competition Law Authority.
Nippon Steel Corporation
Mitsubishi Heavy Industry
- Successfully defended Cheetham Salt’s Indonesian operations in a high-profile cartel case investigated by the Indonesian competition law authority.
- Advised Archipelago, through its subsidiary Rubicon Investments, on acquisition of controlling stake in PT Radana Bhaskara Finance Tbk.
- Advised ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel Corporation on merger control aspects of their Joint venture’s acquisition of Essar Steel Limited India.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie has been very active in advising on merger filings, most notably in heavily regulated sectors such as insurance and financial services. Mochamad Fachri is the key name of note and alongside antitrust is very experienced in complementary areas such as consumer protection and trade.
Hogan Lovells in association with Dewi Negara Fachri & Partners’ competition team operates under the leadership of managing partner Chalid Heyder who is supported by senior associate Dyan Paramita. Most mandates tend to involve cartel investigations, dominance issues and merger control filings. The team recently assisted a multinational manufacturing company on submitting the first offshore transaction merger filing under the new merger control regulations.
Other key lawyers:
SSEK Legal Consultants’ broad corporate offering regularly advises on competition law, most notably on merger filings and general advisory issues. The team has acted for major names such as Nissan, GsK, and Softbank. Ira A Eddymurthy and Fahrul Yusuf are the two key names of note.
Procter & Gamble
China Construction Bank
Shinhan Investment Corporation
- Assisted SoftBank with the merger filing requirements with Indonesia’s Business Competition Supervisory Commission in connection with its global acquisition of WeWork.
- Regularly provides competition law advice to Nissan Indonesia for various business models and plans.
- Guided a leading digital media company through the Indonesian competition law authority’s investigation process.