Firms in the Spotlight TMT
TMT Law Practise
The Firm’s practice combines an interdisciplinary team of litigators and transactional attorneys advising some of India’s most prominent media, entertainment, and communications companies and individuals. We represent clients across the entire spectrum of the media and entertainment industry, including television, films, radio, music, print and publications, events, fashion, arts, OTT platforms, etc. Sports is a …View Profile...
TMT in India
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas counts global banking, technology, consumer goods and medical companies to its client list, providing the full range of TMT-related matters. The team recently supplied regulatory guidance on the establishment of e-commerce platforms, OTT streaming platforms, payment system companies and other emerging technologies. Data protection is a particularly strong point for the practice, having advised on compliance with the fast-moving legislative developments in that area. A number of production houses and media networks often approach the firm for advice on licensing, sponsorship and other agreements. The firm also cites niche regulatory knowledge in the fields of online gaming and interactive media. In a recent development, the firm acquired the media and entertainment practice of Ashni Parekh, who has joined as a senior adviser.
Bharat Vasani; Arun Prabhu
Apollo Hospitals Enterprises
The Boston Consulting Group
ANI Technologies Private Limited
Sun TV Network
True Software Scandinavia AB
Reliance Jio Infocomm
Tata Sons; Tata Teleservices; Tata Teleservices
Financial Software and Systems Private
Varian Medical Systems
- Advised Apollo Hospitals Enterprises on the outsourcing of its entire IT infrastructure.
- Advised Nissan Motor Company on outsourcing the development, implementation and maintenance of its telematics connected car solution.
- Advised Canara Bank in relation to the documentation for upgrading its core banking solution.
- Advised JetPrivilege Private on ensuring that its cross-border collection and processing of data is in compliance with applicable law.
- Advised Sun TV Network on the development, launch, operations and distribution of Sun NXT, a digital over-the-top content delivery platform.
Kochhar & Co.’s TMT practice has a strong hand in providing telecoms regulatory support – senior associate Naqeeb Ahmed Kazia is a go-to name for VoIP issues – to big-ticket clients in the mobile technology and banking sectors. Practice co-chair Stephen Mathias is a leading name in e-commerce law while the team is also reputed for its expertise in licensing, data privacy and outsourcing matters. The practice is regularly instructed by an extensive list of IT and software companies to provide in-depth regulatory advice for their operations, including procurement strategy. Savitha Kesav Jagadeesan cites particular expertise in the fields of cybercrime and cybersecurity.
Stephen Mathias; Savitha Kesav Jagadeesan; Gaurav Dhwaj
Other key lawyers:
‘Kochhar & Co. provides user-friendly opinions with an in-depth knowledge of TMT.‘
‘Stephen Mathias is unique in his approach with an in-house mindset.‘
Report Bee Edusys Pvt. Ltd
- Provided advice to multinational technology conglomerate Cisco on the regulatory aspects of a new multimedia communications device. Included assisting on data localisation issues concerning a bid for the provision of hardware and services for the setting up of a national fibre optic network.
- Advised Akamai Technologies on the provision of public WIFI and content to retail customers including applicability of new regulations by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
- Provided cloud communications provider Vonage with Indian telecoms law advice including the provision of cloud PBX services to contact centres and applicability of regulations in India for use of cloud PBX and VoIP.
- Advised Deutsche Bank on the restrictions on use of VoIP outside of the company network and the use of a provider-provisioned VPN.
- Receives regular instructions from Hogan Lovells involving Indian telecoms law and the handling of private data for the firm’s multinational clients.
The TMT practice at Naik Naik & Company is renowned for its expertise in the media and entertainment field, servicing household-name film studios, distributors, television production houses, financiers and software companies. Litigation is a strength for the team, often making representations in the courts and arbitration forums. The team handles distribution and co-productions agreements, film funding and financing negotiations, talent contracts and licensing and endorsement agreements.
Nishith Desai Associates
Nishith Desai Associates provides extensive regulatory advice to its TMT clients in sectors such as fintech, life sciences, gaming, e-commerce, telecoms and education technology. Gowree Gokhale is experienced with cutting-edge issues concerning net neutrality, content regulation, IT law and digital payment systems. The firm often handles cross-border technology transactions and contentious issues.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co is frequently instructed on regulatory and transactional projects across the TMT sector; clients include household names in the fields of e-commerce, media, entertainment, telecoms, publishing and radio. The firm’s deep corporate expertise helps to navigate clients through the complex regulatory regimes necessary for global transactions; recent niche instructions involved Phase-III migrations in the radio sector, complex consolidations in the telecoms space and market-entry exercises in the publishing sector. Tejas Karia in the go-to name for contentious TMT issues with recent instructions involving Supreme Court disputes for the likes of Facebook and WhatsApp concerning the provision of online content and services.
Other key lawyers:
Saavn India Private Limited
Bundl Technologies Private Limited (Swiggy)
Think & Learn
Citibank Group of Companies
- Acted for digital music streaming platform Saavn on the merger with JoiMusic, creating the biggest digital music platform in south Asia.
- Representing WhatsApp in a novel Supreme Court dispute concerning the legality of its proposed payment service.
- Provided regulatory compliance strategy and obtained regulatory approval for Citibank concerning its application service centres throughout the country.
- Assisted food delivery company Swiggy with its investment strategy.
- Acted for a client on negotiations with a leading telecoms service provider for obtaining telecom services on terms desired by the client.
Trilegal is routinely praised by peers for its market-leading TMT offering, which provides legal expertise in cutting-edge sectors such as AI, machine learning, open-source technology and fintech. Practice head Rahul Matthan regularly advises on national privacy and data protection policy while Nikhil Narendran is a go-to name for telecoms regulatory expertise. The team handles complex issues surrounding market-entry exercises such as infrastructure-sharing agreements, licensing arrangements, outsourcing, alternative ISP models and content streaming provisions. Due diligence on corporate acquisitions and mergers in the telecoms and technology sectors is also a strong point.
‘Deep industry knowledge. They are really keen to learn about the sector and spend time on understanding technology rather than just looking at ‘legal’ issues in isolation.’
‘Rahul Matthan is India’s best TMT lawyer by a mile. Nikhil Narendran is great.’
FinUp Finance Technology Group
Virya Mobility 5.0
Hathway Cable and Datacom
- Assisted Katerra with the indirect acquisition of technology-based prefabricated and modular construction company KEF Infrastructure.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on sale of its stake in Tikona Digital Networks to Bharti Airtel, followed with investment in Tikona Infinet.
- Assisted FinUp with conduct legal due diligence of digital lending startup SlicePay.
- Advised Hathway and its existing promoters on Reliance Jio’s 51% acquisition of the client.
- Assisted Naspers in selling its 11% stake in Indian e-commerce company Flipkart, to Walmart for $2.2bn.
Media and entertainment are sectors of focus for the TMT practice at ALMT Legal, with clients from the music, motion picture, television, sports, radio, digital media, publishing and theatre industries. Routine instructions involve drafting artist agreements, recording contracts, co-production agreements, content licensing arrangements and product development agreements. The firm also lends its telecoms regulatory expertise to commercial transactions in the sector.
S R Arun; Statira Ranina
Freemantel India Television Production
- Instructed by Freemantel India Television to review, revise and negotiate the recording, management and prize agreements for the top 14 Indian Idol season 10 contestants.
AZB & Partners
AZB & Partners leverages its deep M&A practice to handle transactions in the telecoms, e-commerce, IT and software sectors, with the team providing advice and regulatory support unique to each sector. Multinational telecoms operators, media houses, e-commerce players and fintech clients also instruct the team on commercial contracting matters, corporate restructurings, electronic payment regulations and data privacy laws. The team also fields expertise with sports sponsorship matters.
Gautam Saha; Srinath Dasari
American Tower Corporation
21st Century Fox and the STAR Group
National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Assisted Bharti Airtel with facilitating the demerger of Tata Teleservices’ consumer mobile wireless business to the client.
- Instructed by Sequoia to carry out extensive due diligence and to provide regulatory advice for the client’s $110m investment in online search company Girnar Software.
- Advised American Tower Corporation in the purchase of Vodafone India’s passive telecoms infrastructure business.
- Handled Bharti Airtel’s merger with Telenor India, including acting on proceedings before the National Company Law Tribunal for the sanctioning of the scheme.
- Advising Bharti Airtel and Bharti Infratel on the proposed merger with Indus Towers.
A significant number of A-list Bollywood actors and producers routinely approach DSK Legal’s media, entertainment and technology experts for assistance with film contract negotiations, endorsement agreements, licensing and distribution arrangements and PR statements. Anand Desai and Chandrima Mitra provide High Court representation for clients, with recent matters involving defending artists’ distribution rights. The firm provides strong advisory and transactional services to clients in online gaming, software and mobile telecoms sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘DSK Legal provides a solutions oriented and detailed approach.‘
‘Rishi Anand is knowledgeable and approachable.‘
‘Jitendra Soni is prompt and thorough.‘
Chandrima Mitra has an extremely good and deep understanding of matters related to the media space.‘
‘DSK Legal knows exactly what is prevalent in the media industry, with great relationships that make negotiations and deals easy.‘
‘Chandrima Mitra’s understanding of the media industry is second to none.‘
Amir Khan and Amir Khan Productions
Salman Khan and Salman Khan Ventures
Dentsu Aegis Network
Roy Kapur Productions
Shobiz Experiential Communications
RSVP (film production house owned by Ronnie Screwvala)
Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios
Matrix India Entertainment Consultants
Broadcast Audience Research Council
Guangdong OPPO Mobile Telecommunications
Frontizo Business Services (joint venture between Amazon and Patni Group)
- Defending Salman Khan Films before the High Court against allegations that the client’s film Loverati was demeaning to the religious sentiments of Hindus.
- Assisting movie producer Karan Johar with drafting, reviewing and negotiating performance agreements for the radio show Calling Karan.
- Advised Guangdong OPPO Mobile Telecommunications on the legality of launching an online sports fantasy game under Indian gambling laws.
- Advising US payment-solutions provider Stripe on entering the Indian market.
- Assisting Bollywood actress Alia Bhatt with reviewing, negotiating endorsement agreements with brands such as Uber Eats, Nokia and Flipkart.
Stand-out fields of expertise for HSA Advocates’ TMT practice include the provision of supply and service contracts in the telecoms sector, licensing and distribution arrangements in the entertainment sector and industry-specific regulatory advice on M&A transactions in the software space. Kunal Badyal has particular expertise with structuring and negotiating film distribution agreements; typical work involves (among others) licensing and broadcasting agreements, actor engagement contracts, distribution agreements and celebrity rights issues. In addition to handling cross-border reorganisations and acquisitions for TMT clients, Bharat Sharma is also experienced with handing ASCI complaints.
Bharat Sharma; Kunal Badyal
‘HSA Advocates provides prompt service and is proactive in its approach.’
‘Bharat Sharma is highly competent, has in-depth knowledge and provides pragmatic, business-effective solutions.’
‘Kunal Badyal is extremely professional and has an in-depth, technical knowledge of the TMT space.‘
‘Kunal Badyal has a good understanding of the media industry and delivers sensible and commercially viable advice.‘
Yash Raj Films Private Limited
Lava International Limited
Chhattisgarh InfoTech Promotion Society
Gartner India Research & Advisory Services
I Squared Capital
UBS Business Solutions
- Provided a range of legal assistance, including the drafting of tender documents and advice of the PPP bidding process, to Chhattisgarh Infotech Promotion Society’s telecoms infrastructure programme in the state of Chhattisgarh.
- Advised I Squared Capital on its proposed acquisition of Aircel Group’s entire fiber network in accordance with the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
- Advised Yash Raj Films on various agreements for films including Thugs of Hindustan, Shamshera, Hichki and Sui Dhaaga, including: endorsement agreements, in-film agreements, sponsorship agreements, distribution agreements, production agreements, artist agreements, producer and director agreements, writer agreements, music composer and lyricist agreements.
- Assisted smartphone company Lava International and its subsidiaries (including Xolo Technology) on its cross-border reorganisation exercise which includes establishingfranchisee stores across China.
- Advising Lava International concerning a complaint filed with the Advertising Standards Council of India.
The TMT practice at IndusLaw offers legal expertise in innovative fields such as cloud computing, data localisation, digital streaming, fintech and AI. Stand-out professionals such as Namita Viswanath and new addition Rahul Goel (joining from Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas) assist global players and Indian start-ups with regulatory approvals, legislative insights, contractual negotiations (including SaaS agreements, product licensing and strategic partnerships) and digital content commissioning. A robust transactional offering sees the firm handling M&A and private equity transactions in the telecoms and technology sectors with a recent uptick in instructions from fintech clients.
Avimukt Dar; Namita Viswanath; Saurav Kumar; Srinivas Katta; Suneeth Katarki; Rahul Goel; Anu Monga; Tanu Banerjee
West Unified Communications
Oravel Stays (oyorooms.com)
Agreeya Mobility (now Mobiliya)
- Assisted Google Cloud with the implementation of its services into India, including data localisation requirements, telecoms and technology regulatory advice, structuring contract templates and data protection requirements.
- Advised Nielsen India on its data privacy requirements in light of proposed amendments to the regulatory framework.
- Assisted Times Internet with drafting, negotiating and closing various contracts relating to content licensing, distribution and integration of licenced media into the clients MX Player platform.
- Advised First Walkin on its software as a service (SaaS) agreement with nuFuture Digital for the provision of the client’s retail software.
- Advised financial exchange company Ebix Software on its 100% acquisition of CentrumDirect.
J Sagar Associates
A strong transactional offering from J Sagar Associates’ TMT practice (headed by Delhi-based Amit Kapur and Bangalore-based Sajai Singh) handles high-value M&A’s, private equity investments and joint ventures in sectors such as e-commerce, telecoms, disruptive technologies and online food delivery. The team assists startups and established IT companies with developing their business platforms and operations in compliance with Indian laws and regulations governing the provision of broadcasting, digital communications, software services and other intricate ventures. Probir Roy Chowdhury was praised as a go-to name in the fintech space.
Amit Kapur; Sajai Singh
Technology Frontiers India
ANI Technologies Private Limited
63 Moons Technologies
Mercer Consulting India
Camions Logistics Solutions
Eight Road Ventures (an investment arm of Fidelity International)
Naspers Group and Founders of TBO
- Advised eBay Singapore on the sale of its entire stake in Flipkart.
- Assisted Teleperformance with the acquisition of Intelenet from Blackstone.
- Advised Technology Frontiers India and its promoters on the $90m investment made by EM Holdco.
- Advised ANI Technologies on its acquisition of a majority shareholding in Birds Eye Systems.
- Advised SaaSforce Consulting, a boutique Salesforce consulting company, in relation to the sale of its entire shareholding to Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Khaitan & Co.
Practitioners across Khaitan & Co.'s multiple offices, such as Ganesh Prasad in Bangalore and Rahul Dutt in Mumbai, leverage their strong M&A practice to handle big-ticket transactions in the TMT space, advising on the complex regulations specific to the sector. The extensive client list comprises household-name multinational and Indian corporates, as well as a healthy list of tech startups. Delhi-based Harsh Walia provides strong regulatory expertise in the complex fields of IT, fintech, media, e-commerce, data centre services, digital payment systems and telecoms infrastructure.
Ganesh Prasad; Rahul Dutt; Harsh Walia; Vineet Shingal; Sharad Moudgal; Niren Patel; Vinay Joy
BT Global Communications India
Hindustan Media Ventures
Network18 Media & Investments
Reliance Jio Infocomm
- Advised Birlasoft on the acquisition of control of the IT Business of KPIT Technologies.
- Advised GGK Technologies on its acquisition by AC5 Global Group.
- Advised Conduent Business Services on the transfer of its HR services business to a new entity and subsequent sale to a private equity fund.
- Advised Paypal on the Indian aspects of its global acquisition of Simility.
- Advised Ensono LP on the Indian law aspects in relation to divestment of Wipro’s hosted data center services business to the client.
Majmudar & Partners
The client list of Majmudar & Partners’ TMT practice comprises both entrepreneurial and established names in sectors including fintech, online gaming, digital marketing, e-commerce and AI. On the transactional front, the firm handles acquihires, joint ventures, outsourcing regimes, strategic investment and technology transfers. Recent regulatory work involved data privacy compliance, online payments advice, software licensing and distribution agreements, online terms and conditions, and critical issues pertaining to encryption, cloud computing and data storage, the latter of which N. Raja Sujith is a leading name in the market.
Akil Hirani; Neerav Merchant; N. Raja Sujith
Kwench Global Technologies
Zephyr Software Holdings
CPP Assistance Services
Epsilon International Consulting Services
- Advising US electric vehicle infrastructure company ChargePoint with a joint venture in India for its electric vehicle charging technology.
- Assisted Facebook with a software license and distribution agreement, advising on issues such as complex IP ownership issues and transaction structuring.
- Advised Hermès International on data protection laws and practices in India, with a particular focus on the data retention periods applied to the personal data of individuals in India.
- Advised US-based Fintech startup NerdWallet on an acquihire transaction.
Mani Chengappa & Mathur
Noteworthy recent work for Mani Chengappa & Mathur’s TMT practice involved assisting with implementation and procurement initiatives in the financial services sector. The team has strong expertise in capital raising exercises for tech startup companies as well as conducting due diligence for international sponsors providing inward investment. Further routine mandates involve drafting product licensing agreements and services contracts, advising on data privacy laws and providing general regulatory expertise.
Samuel Mani; Utham Chengappa; Neil Mathur
Fino Payment Bank
Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank
Exfinity Technology Fund
Brightsword IT Services
Sprout Ventures Partners
- Advised newly established bank Fino Payment on its technology procurement and implementation strategy.
- Advising online personal finance platform Tetra Media on drafting its B2B and B2C contracts and privacy related matters.
- Assisted Brightsword IT Services with drawing up the product licensing agreements, including the end-user license agreements, for the school management system it has devised.
- Assisted deep technology startup Lavelle Networks with drafting and negotiating its licensing agreements and commercial agreements with re-sellers and channel partners.
- Handled the licensing arrangements for Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank’s core banking applications, licensing of other applications such as ATM switches, loan management systems and procuring services from myriad vendors.
Spice Route Legal
Since its inception in 2016, Spice Route Legal has developed its TMT practice and now counts a healthy mix of Indian startups and international names to the client roster. Recent mandates for practice head Mathew Chacko involved advising on data privacy laws (including niche work surrounding facial recognition technology), VoD licensing agreements, P2P product launches, a corporate inversion for a drone company and a number of fundraising ventures for tech startup companies.
‘A young and vibrant firm with a tech-focused legal offering, whose knowledge when it comes to the latest technologies and the laws pertaining to them is immense.‘
‘A thorough yet fast and decisive firm.‘
‘Spice Route Legal is proactive with a depth in knowledge.‘
‘Matthew Chacko has a deep knowledge of the industry and relevant law. He provides excellent, commercial insight to the advice he gives.‘
‘Matthew Chacko and his team go out of their way to provide valuable advice with an understanding and familiarity on technology startups and IT law.‘
The finalists of Indian Idol 2017
Sequoia Capital India
Novi Digital Entertainment (Hotstar)
- Advised Discovery Channel on restructuring its data operations in India following the client’s $12 bn acquisition of Scripps Networks Interactive.
- Assisted Helix Investments with its investment in NII, a cybersecurity organisation providing services to large organisations in India, the UAE, Singapore and US.
- Retained by drone company Sensehawk for its general corporate and private equity needs.
- Advised iSpectrum with the launch of its VoD platform in India.
- Assisted payment gateway platform Instamojo with the launch of its online lending platform in collaboration with multiple regulated non-banking financial services companies and a Series B investment round.
Bharucha & Partners
Bharucha & Partners is a growing name in the media and entertainment space, and now counts a number of prominent domestic media houses, broadcasters, digital entertainment and distributors to its client list. Led by Kaushik Moitra, the team advises on content acquisition, contractual agreements, licensing and contract disputes. Market entry for telecoms and OTT platforms are other developing fields for the firm.
Sony Pictures Networks
Balaji Motion Pictures
Alt Balaji Digital Entertainment
Kahaaniwaaley Films & Media Ventures
- Handles the legal portfolio for data warehousing and data intelligence company Netprophets Cyberworks.
- Assisting ALT Entertainment (a leading OTT player) with content acquisition, content production and content syndication.
- Engaged by Belgian digital communications company Voxbone to advise on regulatory issues relating to the provision of telecom services including obtaining relevant licenses and approvals, advising on the legal and regulatory regime for telecoms and related services in India.
- Defended Balaji Motion Pictures in arbitration proceedings arising out of a director agreement.
A modest client roster of telecoms companies and pubic bodies (including the Department of Telecommunications) instruct founding partner Maneesha Dhir of Dhir & Dhir Associates on TMT-related disputes before the various tribunals and upper courts. Recent cases involved tariff determinations, licensing disputes and penalty challenges. Outside of contentious work, the firm also assists with regulatory advice, market-entry strategy, registration of service providers, infrastructure sharing and foreign investment approvals.
Maneesha Dhir; KPS Kohli
Bharat Sanchar Nigam
Mahanagar Sanchar Nigam
Department of Telecommunications
Controller of Certifying Authorities
Telecom Regulatory Authority
- Representing the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India in defending a challenge brought by a number of broadcasters to a tariff order notified by the client.
- Representing Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) in a challenge brought by Cellular Operators Association of India to a circular issued by BSNL revising the infrastructure and space charges for active links leased to telecoms operators.
- Representing Bharat Sanchar Nigam in challenging the Department of Telecommunication’s prescribed penalties for violations of Electro Magnetic Fields Radiation Norms on the basis of them being arbitrary, unjustified and illegal.
- Instructed by Bharat Sanchar Nigam to challenge penalties imposed by the Department of Telecommunications due to alleged failure to comply with subscriber verification requirements.
TMT-related instructions for Dua Associates have involved joint ventures and foreign investment in the technology sector and litigation involving tariff orders placed by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. Regulatory compliance including data protection is also provided by the firm.
TMT services provided by Gagrats include advisory support for a range of contract negotiations including manufacturing and technology licensing, collaboration agreements, SaaS arrangements and e-procurement. The firm recently handled contentious issues involving defamation in the digital realm.
Rustam Gagrat; Haseena Tapia Shahpurwalla; Ipshita Sen; Rajnni Kuttyy
- Assisted a client with the establishment of an online trading platform in the manufacturing sector.
- Assisted a client with technology licensing issues for its teaching programmes in the sporting sector.
- Handled the software contracts for a client’s IT solutions for its insurance systems.
- Assisted an engineering company with a manufacturing and technology licensing agreement.
- Advised a healthcare client on collaboration agreements for a series of medical and diagnostic research projects.
Legal-Advaita handles a range of transactions and disputes in the TMT space. Previous practice head Atul Dua has left the firm to establish an independent practice.
- Provided data collection and data destruction compliance advice to Fred Hollows Foundation.
- Advised Madhusudan Auto on a technology license and technical assistance agreement with an Israeli company.
- Assisting DIT University with data protection and confidentiality issues surrounding its negotiations with a foreign educational institution.
- Advising Pluralsight on data protection laws related to the implementation of a diversity and inclusion project by the HR department.
Link Legal – India Law Services
The transactional side of Link Legal – India Law Services’s TMT vertical involves handling complex M&A transactions and private equity investments for e-commerce, telecoms, broadcasting and online gaming clients.The team also frequently acts on TMT-related disputes, with number of recent actions involving the regulations surrounding passive telecoms infrastructure.
Nusrat Hassan; Prasad Dhande
CDH and Morningside
L&T Technology Services
Endiya Partners and IDG
Claranet Group UK
- Represented Indus Towers before the High Court and successfully saved its infrastructure sites from being auctioned off for alleged non-payment of property taxes.
- Filed an INR400 crore suit for damages on behalf of Sify Technologies in relation to a datacentre space occupied by IBM India.
- Instructed by Bharti Airtel to challenge the constitutional validity of local laws pertaining to passive infrastructure.
- Advised DEN Networks on its 66% sale to Reliance Industries.
- Advised Lightspeed on its $20m investment in hyperlocal discovery platform Magicpin.
Phoenix Legal is particularly active in the fields of media and entertainment, for which the team handles film investment ventures, broadcast licensing, contract negotiations, operational contracts and other agreements. The team applies its strong knowledge of telecoms regulations to significant cross-border transactions in the sector as well as facilitating SaaS agreements for a number of conglomerate clients. Software brands are also prominently featured on the client roster.
Manjula Chawla; Saket Shukla; Abhishek Saxena; Siddharth Hariani; Sriram Ramachandran
- Assisted Ciena Corporation with Indian telecoms law compliance concerning its shareholding acquisition of DonRiver.
- Handled the software service agreement providing the transfer of proprietary software with Trakd Innovations.
- Provided regulatory advice to Dell EMC for the transfer of business to Indian software technology parks.
- Advised Ciena Corporation on amendments to the Indian Telegraph Rules.
Samvad Partners' TMT practice includes a robust fintech offering which provides transactional advice to international private equity and venture capital groups investing in fintech startups. The firm has a growing client list of telecoms and software services clients for which the team provides regulatory support for operations in the Indian market, assistance with contractual negotiations and financial advice.
Harish Narasappa; Natasha Mahajan; Neela Badami; Rohan K George
Manthan Software Services
Sigmoid Labs (and founders)
V.A. Tech Ventures
- Represented Sigmoid Labs and its founders in its 100% share sale to Google.
- Provided contractual advice to Manthan Sofware Services, including OEM, SaaS and GDPR.
- Provided full-scope GDPR compliance guidance to V.A. Tech Ventures.
- Omidyar, Axilor and Angel List on their investment in Bonfleet Solutions, a fintech startup providing financial services to the gig-economy workforce.
- Reviewed all IT documentation for Sundaram Finance, including master services agreements, maintenance contracts, software license agreements and SaaS agreements.
Rodney D Ryder of Scriboard’s TMT practice is a go-to name on the market for issues pertaining to the Information Technology Act, with recent advice concerning data protection, online risk management, regulatory compliance audits, cross-border data transfers and judicial information requests. The team provides expertise with domain name disputes and domain name recovery exercises for big-ticket global clients. A number of e-commerce clients also approach the firm for regulatory advice for their online operations.
Rodney D Ryder; Ravi Goyal
Amazon Seller Services
Schlumberger Asia Services
Godrej Consumer Products
Tata Power Delhi Distribution
Rhiti Sports Management
- Assisting Facebook with numerous litigation matters pertaining to the Information Technology Act.
- Liaised with the relevant authorities on behalf of Amazon in relation to its website being blocked by Indian ISPs.
- Assisted Amazon Seller Services with taking down fraudulent website impersonating its ecommerce website.
- Advised IndianOil Corporation on the enforceability of the Information Technology Act.