Firms in the Spotlight TMT
TMT Law Practice
The Firm’s practice combines an interdisciplinary team of litigators and transactional attorneys advising some of India’s most prominent media, entertainment, and communications companies and individuals. We represent clients across the entire spectrum of the media and entertainment industry, including television, films, radio, music, print and publications, events, fashion, arts, OTT platforms, etc. Sports is a …View Profile...
TMT in India
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas' practice guides clients through technology and media transactions and provides regulatory advice in various areas, including e-commerce, digital banking and virtual currencies. The firm also boasts notable expertise in data protection and disputes arising from data and privacy breaches. Arun Prabhu is well-known for his transactional and advisory work for TMT companies, which includes product development, procurement, outsourcing, licensing and M&A. Bharat Vasani advises media and entertainment companies on all of their operations, including major transactions. Associate Shabareesh Suresh is a go-to contact for clients undergoing acquisitions and investments in various industries, including e-commerce and information technology.
Other key lawyers:
Reliance Industries Limited
Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Equistone Partners Europe Limited
Coca-Cola India Private Limited
Nissan Motors Limited
Goldman Sachs Services Private Limited
National Australia Bank Limited
Roivant Sciences Limited
Maybright Ventures Private Limited
- Advised Reliance Corporate IT Park (Jio) on negotiations and documentation facilitating a ten year strategic business relationship with Microsoft Corporation and Microsoft Corporation India whereby they will collaborate to offer comprehensive technology for cloud based solutions.
- Assisted Barian with its acquisition of TPG Growth owned Cancer Treatment Services International.
- Advised Equinix Asia Pacific Pte on the Indian regulatory regime governing the operation of data centres, including licensing requirements and lawful interception requirements.
IndusLaw advises technology, media and telecoms clients on complex regulatory matters, product development and roll-out, commercial contracts and M&A, among various other areas. Avimukt Dar advises corporates and PE investors in relation to TMT transactions. Srinivas Katta advises clients on corporate governance, fundraising, acquisitions, investments and exits. Namita Viswanath provides full-service advice to start-ups and established technology companies in India, including e-commerce, data security and outsourcing. Tanu Banerjee joined Khaitan & Co LLP in January 2021.
‘IndusLaw runs a tight ship. Very responsive team which consistently achieves favourable results for clients.’
‘Substantive understanding of all things technology related, particularly fintech.’
‘Srinivas Katta – ahead of the curve in his understanding of fintech.’
Times Internet Limited
Contagious Online Media Network Private Limited
Zerodha Broking Limited
MX Media & Entertainment Pte. Ltd. (MX Player)
Oravel Stays Private Limited (Oyo Rooms)
Skylotech India Private Limited
Edelman Financial Engines
West Unified Communications/ Intrado
Balance Hero (True Balance App)
Xarpie Labs Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Google on data privacy compliance for its suite of products, in addition to providing advice on applicable telecoms regulations and working with them on several policy-making initiatives.
- Advised Edelman Financial Engines on access and cross border transfer of investor financial data to its Indian subsidiary for the purpose of data analytics, mostly belonging to foreign residents.
- Assisted MX Player with the launch of its streaming platform in India (backed by The Times Group), in addition to advising the client on setting up separate MX Player platforms internationally, including in the USA, Canada, U.K., Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
Kochhar & Co.'s team specialises in all areas of technology and privacy law, including outsourcing, licensing, cyber security and data breaches. Stephen Mathias is best known for advising international tech companies on their business ventures and operations in India, which often involves evaluating the legal risks that clients face. Savitha Kesav Jagadeesan's primary expertise resides in cyber crime, data protection and e-commerce arrangements. Lynn Lazaro specialises in IP law and software licensing. Associate Naqeeb Ahmed Kazia has a niche in advising clients on the implementation of voice over-related IP.
‘The most prominent qualities are quick turnaround time and thoroughness of work.’
Bird & Bird
Assam Electronics Development Corporation Limited
Powernet Communication Private Limited
Optum/United Health Group
- Advised longstanding client Hogan Lovells on data privacy, IT law issues, content liability, breach notifications, employment privacy issues and various other matters regarding their operations in India.
- Assisted Bird & Bird with several matters relating to the use and transfer of Indian clients’ personal information.
- Assisted several of Cooley’s clients regarding their technology offshore operations, in particular concerning IP contracts with employees and other entities.
Naik Naik & Company
Naik Naik & Company focuses primarily on advising clients in the media and entertainment sector on IP law, technology arrangements, commercial deals and digital broadcasting. Madhu Gadobia is regularly instructed by clients to manage their IP portfolios, demonstrating her wealth of knowledge in all areas of intellectual property, including trade marks and patents. Gadobia's further expertise includes advising clients on commercial agreements and corporate transactions, and, where necessary, representing clients in court proceedings. Abha Shah advises well-known performers and companies in India on all of their commercial agreements, including brand endorsement, acquisitions and distribution deals. Vasundhara Kuthiala and Lavin Hirani recently joined the firm as associate partners from Bimal Parekh & Co and Red Chillies Entertainment, respectively.
KWAN Talent Management Agency Limited
HT Content Studio LLP
Reliance Big Entertainment Limited
National Film Development Corporation
Rohit Shetty Picturez LLP
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Junglee Pictures Limited
Anil Kapoor Films Communication Network Private Limited
Bling Entertainment Solutions Private Limited
Super Cassettes Industries Private Limited
- Assisted Vishesh Entertainment with the review, negotiation and finalisation of its Commissioning Agreement with Reliance Industries (Jio) for a web series.
- Advised Super Cassettes Industries on production, distribution, co-production and branding agreements regarding films such as Street Dancer, Pati Patni aur Woh and Tanhaji.
- Carried out a review of a production services agreement on behalf of Birkdale NTEOTW.
The Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co practice advises well-known media, technology and telecoms companies on regulatory and transactional matters, including high value M&A, commercial agreements and business critical disputes. Gv Anand Bhushan has amassed a wealth of experience across the TMT sector, encompassing data protection, IT law, cyber-security and product development, among numerous other areas. Tejas Karia is often instructed by TMT clients in corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings. Shahana Chatterjee is particularly well-versed in data privacy and online content regulation.
- Advised Customer Insight 360 Technologies on its merger with Cisco Systems and Cadmium Acquisition Corp.
- Representing WhatsApp in a public interest litigation filed against it which prohibits it from proceeding with its payments service until it is fully compliant with the RBI’s circular directing payment service providers to store payments data in India.
- Advised Citibank in relation to new product solutions and compliance with the existing legal regime.
Trilegal has a remarkably expansive practice, which involves advising well-known global TMT companies on regulatory matters, commercial agreements, technology arrangements, such as outsourcing, and contentious matters. The team is also well-known for advising clients involved in new media developments, such as OTT broadcasting. Rahul Matthan specialises in innovative technology and e-commerce matters, with a particular focus on the regulatory challenges facing clients. Matthan has also worked with industry bodies to advise them on data protection and privacy laws, demonstrating his strong background in these areas. Nikhil Narendran has a wealth of experience assisting telecoms and technology companies with regulatory and contractual matters, including IP licensing and content liability.
Other key lawyers:
Trilegal’s TMT practice has an impressive team of legal experts ready for any task related to our business activities.’
‘Rahul Matthan provides outstanding legal services to our company and succeeds in delivering legal services reflecting his in-depth experience and knowledge while demonstrating great understanding of our business.’
- Advised Truecaller on its acquisition of technology and talent from Twelfthmile Creations, involving IP assignment, taxation implications and various other matters.
- Advised Ant Financial and Zomato management on strategic aspects of Zomato Media Private Limited’s acqusition of Uber Eats.
- Advised Medlife International Private Limited on the acquisition of Metarain Distributors Private Limited.
ALMT Legal advises clients in the media, telecoms and technology sectors on commercial transactions and regulatory matters. Statira Ranina is well-known for guiding emerging tech companies through the regulatory regime, in addition to assisting them with commercial agreements. Souvik Paul Mazumdar advises media and sports clients, including HNW individuals and production houses, in relation to their commercial agreements and other legal needs. Siddhi Ghatlia is a go-to partner for TMT clients involved in corporate transactions, such as M&A.
Other key lawyers:
Think and Learn Private Limited (BYJUS)
Board of Control for Arm Wrestling in India
Mr. Danish Sait
Indian Padel Federation and Karnataka Padel Federation
Ellipsis Entertainment Media LLP
- Assisted Think and Learn in drafting and executing various collaboration agreements with content providers, media house and celebrities for endorsing their products.
- Assisted Board of Control for Arm Wrestling in India with all aspects of structuring and sporting events (including drafting/ reviewing, negotiating and finalizing all documentations) for setting up of the federation.
- Providing Indian Padel Federation and Karnataka Padel Federation with general legal advisory services regarding structure, sporting events, drafting, negotiating and finalizing various media agreements and all other agreements applicable to the client.
AZB & Partners practice is particularly well-known for its expertise in corporate transactions and commercial agreements involving telecoms and media companies. The team is also known for advising clients on data protection and assisting emerging technology companies seeking to enter the Indian market. Gautam Saha has a strong track record of advising clients in relation to PE investments, acquisitions, exits, debt and equity financing. Srinath Dasari predominantly advises investors and companies requiring capital in the TMT space. Vinati Kastia often assists e-commerce client with their development in India.
Other key lawyers:
Bharti Airtel Limited
Bharti Infratel Limited
International Finance Corporation
Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
Sequoia Pine Investment Holdings
American Tower Corporation
- Advised BIF IV Jarvis India on Tower Infrastructure Trust’s private placement, which represents the largest offering in India by an infrastructure investment trust.
- Advised Softbank Corp on its investment in Ola Electric Mobility Private Limited.
- Advised Binny Bansal on its divestment of equity shares in Flipkart Private Limited to Fit Holdings SARL.
Bharucha & Partners primarily advises its clients on regulatory, corporate and commercial matters, including M&A, licensing, funding rounds and disputes. Kaushik Moitra, who previously served as in-house counsel for a film and media company, assists domestic and international media and technology companies with regulatory issues, licensing, distribution and revenue sharing agreements, among various other aspects of their operations. Associate Swathi Girimaji provides corporate advice to start-ups in India.
Sony Pictures Network India Private Limited
Vodafone Idea Limited
Girnar Software Private Limited
Alt Digital Entertainment Limited
Vedantu Innovations Private Limited
Minnow Films Limited
Kahaaniwaaley Films & Entertainment Ventures Private Limited
Cinepolis India Private Limited
InVenture Capital Corporation (Tala)
Balaji Motion Pictures
Digivive Services Private Limited
Eleeanora Images Private Limited
Uprising Science Private Limited
Shopsense Retail Technologies Private Limited
Marston (Holdings) Limited
SVF Entertainment Private Limited
Relevant E-Solutions Private Limited
- Represented Sony Pictures Network India in various disputes, including its challenges to statutory instruments issued by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India; its writ petition filed against the order of Competition Commission of India (CCI) before the Bombay High Court challenging an order passed by CCI on 27 July 2018 ordering an investigation on the basis of a complaint filed by Noida Software Technology Park Ltd; and a commercial IP suit before the Bombay High Court for infringement and passing off Sony marks and infringement of broadcast reproduction rights in relation to the FIFA World Cup.
- Advised Vodafone Idea on various issues and contentious matters, including general issues of intellectual property protection; in challenge proceedings related to Interconnection Usage Charges (IUC) before the Bombay High Court; and in a jurisdictional challenge to the Telecommunication Tariff (63rd Amendment) Order, 2018 (TTO) before Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal
- Advised Vendantu Innovations on its Series C, Series C extension round, and Series C2 round of funding.
DSK Legal's team specialises in structuring and negotiating commercial agreements and transactions, including M&A, licensing, distribution arrangements and management contracts. In the field of technology, the firm has particular expertise in mobile applications, data protection and e-commerce transactions. Anand Desai stands out for advising various Indian film stars in relation to all of their legal needs. Chandrima Mitra, who previously worked as part of the studio team of a global media corporate, advises clients on acquiring copyright, licensing and distribution deals. Rishi Anand focuses on high-value corporate transactions across the TMT sector. Principal associate Nakul Batra is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Our interaction has been with the media team, in particular Chandrima Mitra. The efficiency in achieving desired results as well as the variety of services they provide is exceptional. This includes everything from contract drafting, litigation, and media business matters.’
‘Chandrima Mitra has an exceptional understanding of the media industry, drawing upon her former in-house experience.’
Roy Kapur Productions
RSVP Movies (Unilazer Ventures Private Limited)
Emmay Entertainment and Motion Pictures LLP
Salman Khan Ventures Private Limited
Rakeysh Mehra and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra Productions
Tiger Baby LLP
Biofourmis Holdings Pte. Ltd.
Technogen IT Services Pte. Ltd.
Matrix India Entertainment Consultants
Prione Business Services Private Limited
OnePlus Technology (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd., China
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd., China
Ver Se Innovation Private Limited
Cloudtail India Private Limited
Uniworld Being Talented LLP
Versis Entertainment LLP
Being Human – The Salman Khan Foundation
Reel Life Production
- Advised Biofourmis Holdings Pte. Ltd. (“Acquirer”) on its sale and purchase of all assets and transfer of all employees of KGJ Software Technologies Private Limited.
- Assisted Salman Khan Ventures with script review, seeking film clearance from Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), drafting, review and negotiating production, marketing and distribution contracts for the films Dabangg 3, Notebook and Loveyatri.
- Represented Emmay Entertainment and Motions Pictures and John Abraham Entertainment in a writ petition brought before the Delhi High Court after the release of the film was halted due to it allegedly showing members of an ongoing trial.
HSA Advocates advises TMT infrastructure providers, technology companies and media and entertainment companies on commercial, corporate and regulatory matters, including outsourcing, data protection, licensing and sponsorship. Bharat Sharma is a go-to partner for clients involved in corporate transactions. Gaurav Sahay has a wealth of expertise in technology led matters, including IP licensing and cloud transactions. Jivesh Chandrayan assists domestic and foreign companies, including fintech and telecoms clients, with corporate and commercial agreements.
‘HSA is an excellent law office to work with. They are quite diligent and knowledgeable. They have handled multiple cases for us and always advise us on the best course of action with the cost benefit analysis in the background.’
‘Jivesh Chandrayan is our contact within HSA and he has advised us on several cases in the IT sector. He is well aware of the intricacies of IT regulation and has a strong knowledge of legal practice which he combines with a keen understanding of our business in order to deliver the best possible results.’
Yash Raj Films Private Limited
Lava International Limited
Chhattisgarh InfoTech Promotion Society (CHiPS)
Sigfox Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Gartner India Research & Advisory Services Private Limited
I Squared Capital Pte Ltd.
UBS Business Solutions Private Limited
IKIGAI MOTION PICTURES
Annu KapoorFilmsPrivate Limited
- Advised I squared Capital on its acquisition of the entire sub-sea cable business of Reliance Communications Limited.
- Assisted iQIYI in relation to expanding its business operations in India with respect to market entry due diligence, including but not limited to advise on corporate, tax, employment and IP law issues.
- Advise Yash Raj on all of its international and domestic transactions, disputes and day-to-day legal matters.
Ikigai Law focuses on assisting established and emerging technology companies throughout their life cycle, on everything from product launches through to litigation in complex areas. Anirudh Rastogi has an excellent understanding of the regulations that apply to technology companies, including fintech clients operating in India. Nehaa Chaudhari focuses on assisting clients with data governance, IP law, online content regulation and various other matters related to their business needs.
Amazon Seller Services Private Limited
Protograph Studio Private Limited
BitFair Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Throughbit Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Neblio Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Discidium Internet Labs Private Limited
Dvara Research Foundation
Mobile premier League (MPL)
iBahn Illumination Private Limited
Simulanis Solutions Pvt Ltd
ZPX Pte. Ltd.
- Advise Amazon Seller Services on issues of data governance, online content regulation, and India’s e-commerce policy.
- Advised ProtoGraph Studio on the deployment of the WhatsApp fact-checking platform to study the misinformation phenomenon at scale during the Indian elections.
- Represented India’s leading crypto-exchanges before the Supreme Court in their precedent-setting challenge to the Indian Central Bank directive to ban banking for crypto-businesses.
J Sagar Associates
J Sagar Associates specialises in assisting technology companies and investors in the tech sector with various transactions, including M&A and private equity investments. The firm is also known for advising clients on IP, data protection, commercial agreements and various regulatory issues. Probir Roy Chowdhury is particularly well known for advising information technology and fintech clients on a whole raft of corporate transactions and regulatory matters. Sajai Singh focuses on cross-border transactions in the TMT space.
Sistema Smart Technologies Limited (SSTL)
RCG IT Corp
Good Capital Fund I
Sankalp Semiconductor Private Limited
Gofrugal Technologies Private Limited
Silicus Technologies India Private Limited
Fleetx Technologies Private Limited
Raag Technologies and Services Private Limited
Marvell Technology Group
Hexaware Technologies Limited
Conneqt Business Solutions Limited
Baring Private Equity Asia (BPEA)
eBay Singapore Services Pte Ltd
Zerone Microsystems Private Limited
Google International LLC
- Represented Sistema Smart Technologies Limited (SSTL) before Supreme Court in the landmark AGR judgment whereby the Supreme Court upheld the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) interpretation of the definition of Adjusted Gross Revenue given in Clause 19.1 of the License Agreement.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia on its acquisition of about 30% of NIIT Technologies from NIIT Limited and its founders.
- Advised eBay Singapore Services Pte Ltd (“eBay Singapore”) on its investment in Paytm E-Commerce amounting to a 5.5% equity share in the company.
Khaitan & Co LLP primarily advises clients across the TMT sector on various corporate transactions, including M&A, investments and funding rounds. In addition, the practice has a team dedicated to assisting clients in the e-commerce, fintech and new media industries with their corporate, commercial and regulatory needs. Sharad Moudgal is a very active member of the firm, known for assisting multinationals and investors with various transactions. Harsh Walia specialises in IT, data protection and telecoms matters. Tanu Banerjee joined from IndusLaw in January 2021.
Ather Energy Private Limited
Music Broadcast Limited
Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited
63Ideas Infolabs Private Limited (“Ninjacart”)
ANI Technologies Private Limited
Bertelsmann Nederland B.V
Delivery Hero SE
DST Global (through Gemini Investments, L.P. (“Gemini”)
HCL Technologies Limited
Horizon Investments Limited
Insight Venture Management, LLC
Investcorp Private Equity Fund II acting through its investment manager, Investcorp India Asset Managers Private Limited
Larsen & Toubro Infotech Limited
Perfios Software Solutions Private Limited
Reliance Industrial Investments and Holdings Limited
Reliance Jio Digital Services Limited
- Advised Larsen & Toubro Infotech on its acquisition of 100% of the paid-up share capital of N+P GmbH and its subsidiaries in Australia, Luxembourg, Singapore, Switzerland and Thailand.
- Advised Music Broadcast on its acquisition of 24% of the equity share capital of Reliance Broadcast Network by way of a preferential allotment.
- Advised L&T Infotrech on its acquisition of the entire paid-up share capital of Powerupcloud Technologies from its shareholders.
Majmudar & Partners' practice focuses primarily on technology transactions, data privacy, competition law in the field of technology and complex regulatory matters. Recently, the team has seen a growth in instructions from clients looking to establish data centers in India, such as Microsoft. Akil Hirani is an expert in IT regulation, data protection, outsourcing and IP matters. Neerav Merchant has notable expertise in the technology sector, which includes advising clients on data privacy and trade marks. N. Raja Sujith is a key partner for TMT clients involved in corporate transactions.
Accelerator Enterprise Private Limited
Smile Family Inc
Electronic Arts (EA) Sarl
Conversant Software Development and Campaign Management Services LLP
Gallagher Service Center LLP
Epsilon International Consulting Services Private Limited
- Advised Meero SAS on setting a technology subsidiary and business in India.
- Assisting NapCloud LLC with establishing its back-office support centres in India.
- Advising Conversant Software Development and Campaign Management Services LLP on Indian export control and technology matters.
Mani Chengappa & Mathur
Mani Chengappa & Mathur specialises in advising clients in the technology sector on corporate transactions, outsourcing, licensing, procurement, IP and various other aspects of their operations in India. Samuel Mani often advises clients on cross-border technology and outsourcing transactions, data protection, e-commerce and cloud computing matters. Utham Chengappa also specialises in technology agreements, including Saas and cloud computing and product licensing. Senior associate Rosa Thomas is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Exfinity Technology Fund
AIOT Foundry Private Limited
MadStreet Den, Inc.
Sierra Cedar India Private Limited
Muthoot Fincorp Limited
Sprout Venture Partners
Tetra Media Private Limited
Lavelle Networks Private Limited
- Advised Exfinity Technology Fund on its investment in GridRaster, Inc via a sries seed round, and its investment in Log9 Materials Scientific via a Series A round.
- Advised AIOT Foundry, a start-up studio, on its corporate structure, founders’ agreement and capital raising strategies, among various other maters related to its operations in India.
- Advised Sabstone on its fintech platform Transper, primarily in relation to structuring and generating multiple license forms specific to the business model.
Nishith Desai Associates
Nishith Desai Associates focuses on corporate matters in the TMT space, including cross-border M&A and private equity transactions. Nishchal Joshipura frequently advises clients on the tax structuring of cross-border transactions and securities law. Ruchir Sinha and Simone Reis both provide further expertise in M&A, corporate governance and private equity investments.
Tiger Global Five Holdings
Square Dotcom Private Limited
Naspers Ventures B.V. / Prosus Ventures
- Advised Naspers Ventures B.V. on its acquisition of a further stake in Swiggy, India’s largest online food delivery platform.
- Advised Intel Corporation on the sale of its smartphone modem business to Apple.
- Advised Tiger Global on the sale of a portion of its shares in Delhivery Private Limited to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, RPS Ventures, AB Initio Capital and Softbank.
Led by Rajat Sethi, S&R Associates specialises in advising large TMT clients on all of their corporate transactions, including M&A, PE exits and investments. In a recent highlight, Sandip Bhagat and Jabarati Chandra and advised Vodafone Idea Limited on its INR250bn rights issue.
AGS Transact Technologies
Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation
HT Media Limited
Indiamart Intermesh Limited
Reliance Communications Limited
Tata Sky Limited
YoBoHo New Media
- Advised Bertelsmann Group on a financing round led by Pidilite Industries.
- Advised Steadfast Financial LP on an investment in One97 Communications Limited, the operator of Paytm.
- Advised Goldman Sachs Asia on an investment in Rebel Foods.
Scriboard advises and represents large international and domestic TMT clients in relation to various matters, including data protection, fraud and IT disputes. Rodney D Ryder has a strong working knowledge of e-commerce, data protection and IT law, having previously advised the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology on the implementation of the Information Technology Act, 2000. Associate Ravi Goyal specialises in domain name disputes, trade mark law and IT matters.
‘Scriboard’s quick turn around time and their known expertise in cyber law are the main advantages.’
‘Both Rodney Ryder and Ravi Goyal are extremely prompt and provide detailed advice.’
Amazon Seller Services Private Limited
Nike India Private Limited
Hike Private Limited
Havells India Limited
Godrej Consumer Products Limited
Aon Consulting Private Limited
E-Meditek Insurance TPA Limited
IndianOil Corporation Limited
Livonics Infotech Private Limited
Bio-Med Healthcare Private Limited
Hach DHR India Private Limited
- Assisted Nike India with specific queries and compliance related to the Indian Information Technology Act, 2000 for a new venture.
- Regularly assisted Amazon Seller Services with resolving instances of brand impersonation and cyber fraud in relation to their e-commerce business as well as the Amazon Prime service.
- Represented Facebook India in litigation matters concerning the Information Technology Act, 2000.
Spice Route Legal focuses primarily on assisting technology companies, including fintech companies, with important transactions, product development, IP and other issues. The firm also shows notable expertise in data protection, outsourcing and litigation in the TMT sector. Mathew Chacko is known for providing full-service advice to media and IT client. Senior associate Ankita Hariramani specialises in fintech transactions and regulatory matters.
Other key lawyers:
iSpectrum Pte. Ltd.
Disney + Hotstar
Sequoia Capital India
Crayon Data Pte. Ltd.
MoneyView Financial Services
Zimplistic Pte. Ltd.
- Advising Milaap on the handling of various IP related disputes, including a market-first injunction against Google for encouraging the use of Google Adwords to infringe trademarks.
- Advising fintech start-up SETU on an investment from an investor club including Falcon Edge, LightSpeed Ventures and Bharat Fund, which represents the largest Series A investment in India in 2020 to date.
- Advising Miner’s Inc. on the licensing of close to 500 independent movies, in addition to assisting the client with setting up a payment wallet for in-app purchases.
Advaita Legal's practice advises clients across the TMT sector on employment law, IP, data protection, commercial agreements and various other facets of their operations. Monali Dutta predominantly assists clients with corporate transactions and commercial arrangements, including licensing and product development. Shailendra Singh is another key member of the team, having regularly worked alongside Dutta in important mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Airports Authority of India
- Advising Airports Authority of India on the appointment of agencies for enabling the implementation of passenger processing services at major airports.
- Advising Uber India in relation to a landmark deal in the e-commerce space and the transaction structuring facilitating the deal.
Dhir & Dhir Associates represents clients in regulatory proceedings before various bodies and courts in India. The team also advises clients in relation to various commercial agreements and corporate transactions, including joint ventures, acquisitions and investments. Maneesha Dhir regularly advises media and technology companies on all aspects of their operations, including challenging regulatory issues. KPS Kohli has a wealth of experience in litigation spanning numerous sectors, including telecoms, media and entertainment.
CME Group Inc.
Gemalto Digital Security Pvt. Ltd
Pisces Eservices Pvt. Ltd
Shanghai Pudong Development Bank (SPDB)
STT Global Data Centers India Pvt. Ltd
Telecom Regulatory Of India (TRAI)
HGC Global Communications
- Advising AT&T on the Indian insolvency regime and the current status of a domestic telecom operator’s insolvency proceedings.
- Advising CME Group Inc. on the telecom regulatory regime in India.
- Assisting Dion Australia, a fintech company, with the selling of its service operations.
Link Legal's practice predominantly handles contentious matters involving TMT clients, including telecoms disputes before the Bombay High Court. Prasad Dhande is one of the firm's go-to partners for clients involved in M&A transactions and related litigation. Siddhartha Srivastava represents clients in a diverse array of disputes, including employment and IP cases. Nusrat Hassan is well-versed in M&A and private equity transactions.
Sify Technologies Limited
Indus Towers Limited
Bharti Airtel Limited
Reliance Communications Limited
ATC Telecom Infrastructure Private Limited
Tower and Infrastructures Association of India
Atos Syntel Private Limited
- Represented Association of Telecom Infrastructure Companies in India and obtained stay on demands and stay against the local authorities.
- Defended Bharti Airtel Limited as intermediary against the allegations of abetting infringement of rights in the repertoire.
- Successfully restrained the Local Authority from recovering illegal demands from Indus Towers Limited.
Phoenix Legal advises technology, media and entertainment clients in relation to their regulatory and transactional needs, including software development, investment, acquisitions and licensing. Manjula Chawla has significant expertise in corporate transactions and corporate governance, competition law, employment and data protection mandates. Saket Shukla is a go-to partner for clients engaged in M&A, PE exits, restructuring and joint ventures.
ARG Outlier Media (Republic TV)
Reliance ADAG Group
Rokit World Limited
Alepo Technologies Private Limited
- Advising Reliance ADAG Group on divestment of its entire stake in Reliance Broadcast Network Limited to Music Broadcast Limited.
- Advised ARG and SARG Media Holding Private Limited, the holding company of ARG, on the partial exit of Asianet News Media & Entertainment Private Limited.
- Advised Volaris Group on its acquisition of part of Nokia’s video product business through its operating company, Velocix, which is a leading video streaming technology provider.
Samvad Partners has particularly strong expertise in M&A, IP and IT law, which it leverages to represent various TMT clients, including fintech companies. Harish Narasappa predominantly advises telecoms and technology clients, including AI platforms, on corporate transactions. Neela Badami assists fintech clients in relation to investments; Nivedita Nivargi specialises in funding transactions; Rohan K George is often engaged by clients in relation to contentious and non-contentious IP matters.
‘In our association with Samvad over six years, we have had opportunity to work with many associates. Each of them has brought clarity and lucidity to the context of our task and have guided us in various ways.’
C-Square Info Solutions
Competition Commission of India
Dhiway Networks Private Limited
Inventus Capital Partners
Jio Haptik Technologies Limited
Lentra AI Pvt Ltd
Manthan Software Services Private Limited
MesIndus Ventures Private Limited
MoveInSync Technologies Private Limited
NoBroker Technologies Solutions Pvt Ltd
NTT Data Corporation
Reliance Jio Digital Services Limited
Rupeek Fintech Private Limited
Sankhyasuktra Labs Private Limited
Socion Advisors LLP
Xiaomi Technology India Private Limited
Zomato Media Private Limited
- Successfully represented India’s Competition Commission in the Karnataka High Court in a case relating to the screening and access to non-regional films in Bangalore.
- Advising Reliance Jio Digital Services Limited and its portfolio companies in relation to drafting, reviewing and negotiating various technology and corporate agreements with vendors, customers and partners, within and outside of India.
- Advised Zomato Media Private Limited in relation to its acquisition of UberEats in an all-stock transaction.