Firms in the Spotlight Tax
BMR Legal Advocates is a boutique law firm specializing in the areas of Corporate and International Tax, Transfer Pricing, GST, Customs & Trade, with expertise in policy, disputes and transaction advisory. The Firm advises and supports clients on Tax Litigation, Alternate Dispute Resolution (including APA, MAP & Advance Ruling) and acts as expert witness on …View Profile...
Tax in India
Ajay Bahl and Deepak Chopra head AZB & Partners’ tax practice, which is particularly well equipped to handle high-value tax transactions. Advice on international taxation, transfer pricing, permanent establishment, M&A and private equity deal structuring, corporate tax planning, import/export considerations and the full scope of direct and indirect tax regulation is routinely provided to a global corporate client roster. Chopra spearheads the tax litigation practice. Recent instructions on this front involved challenges before for the ITAT and High Court on behalf of global automotive, telecoms, technology and consumer goods companies.
‘Provides a depth of expertise in indirect taxation.‘
‘Understands clients’need effectively and provides solutions accordingly.‘
‘Deepak Chopra provides experience and performance in tax litigation.‘
‘Amit Srivastava has a persistent approach towards the result and timelines.‘
‘Thorough professionals and their actions speak about their passion, knowledge and commitment towards the practice.‘
Vodafone Idea Ltd.
Americom Asia Pacific
BT Global Communications India
Giesecke & Devrient
National Basketball Association
Shanghai Electric Group
21st Century Fox
Symphony Marketing Solutions India
M/s. Mitutoyo South Asia
McKinsey Knowledge Centre India
Bharat Aluminium Company
Beam Global Spirits & Wine (India)
Fun Fashion India Private
Oil & Natural Gas Corporation
Infonox Software Private
TSYS Card Tech Services
Reckitt Benckiser India
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline on all Indian legal, tax and regulatory aspects of its divestment of Horlicks and other consumer healthcare nutrition products in India to Unilever which also included the completion of the merger of its Indian-listed entity, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Limited.
- Acted for Vodafone M-Pesa in tribunal hearings arising from an assessment by an assessing officer of the market value of the client’s issuance of shares.
- Represented Vodafone before the High Court in a writ petition seeking directions to release significant tax refunds totalling more than $20m.
Economic Laws Practice
Economic Laws Practice’s tax vertical combines advisory and litigation services under practice heads Rohit Jain and Nishant Shah. Indirect tax controversy is a notable strong point, including cutting-edge anti-profiteering disputes arising from the implementation of the GST regime. Other recent engagements on the indirect side concerned GST credit transitioning and policy advice to the government on non-tariff measures and import/export policies. Jain and Kumar Visalaksh handled challenges to VAT liabilities before the High Court. The full breadth of direct tax matters are handled, encompassing transfer pricing advice and disputes, tax structuring during corporate transactions and inbound and outbound investment structuring. Sectors of focus include hospitality, energy, e-commerce, IT, telecoms and entertainment.
Other key lawyers:
‘The biggest reason for choosing Economic Laws Practice has been the pragmatic approach, practicality, in-depth understanding on the subject, patience to listen to the client’s problem and the overall value they put on table.‘
‘We have been working with Rohit Jain and his team for past couple of years and the relationship is of mutual respect. To me, they are all just a call away.‘
‘Their attention to detail and understanding of the client’s business is a big plus.‘
‘Clearly the team has solid experience and expertise. I feel their strength lies in prediction of the outcome and the timeliness. They have been spot on many times.‘
The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council
Sterlite Power Grid Ventures Private Limited
Various entities forming part of the IndiaBulls Group
Anheuser Busch InBev India Limited
Bacardi India Pvt. Limited
TTK Prestige Limited
- Assisted several reputed domestic and multinational companies with drafting and filing of writ petitions challenging a retrospective GST amendment before various High Courts.
- Assisted The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council in making representations before various authorities seeking issuance of favourable clarifications under customs and GST laws.
- Representing Bharti Airtel before the customs authorities in an issue concerning whether Artificially Created Light Energy (ACLE), which is used to carry data transfers in telecoms networks, constitutes “goods” under various tax codes.
Khaitan & Co LLP. provides a full-service tax practice for the entire breadth of contentious and non-contentious issues. Dinesh Agrawal and Arvind Baheti are key names for indirect tax instructions and Ashish Mehta, Aditi Sharma and Bijal Ajinkya are go-to names for direct tax matters. Recent landmark litigation highlights involved disputes concerning withholding tax provisions and international proceedings relating to the confidentiality of taxpayers’ information. A high volume of transfer pricing disputes are also handled by Sanjay Sanghvi and Ritu Shaktawat. High-value global deals ranging from joint ventures and M&A transactions to strategic divestments are routinely handled for premier corporate and private equity clients. The team recently welcomed Sudipta Bhattacharjee at its New Delhi office who joined from Advaita Legal in February 2021.
Sanjay Sanghvi; Bijal Ajinkya; Ajoy Kumar Gupta; Abhishek Rastogi; Arvind Baheti; Ayush A Mehrotra; Dinesh Agrawal; Kabir Bogra; Rahul Dhanuka; Rashmi Deshpande; Ritu Shaktawat; Shabnam Sheikh; Vinita Krishnan
‘A very competent tax practice which gives practical advice.‘
‘Bijal Anjikya is highly regarded and has exceptional technical knowledge.‘
‘It’s hard to find a law firm which has this level of knowledge and clarity on Indian tax.‘
‘Ayush A Mehrotra is always supportive and provides good outcomes to us in timely manner.‘
Hardcastle Restaurants Private Limited and Westlife Development Limited
O’neil Capital Management India Private Limited
Milestone India Professional Investor’s Private Real Estate Investment Limited Liability Company
Laureate Education Inc.
Metropolis Healthcare Limited
C K Birla Group
Hindustan Times Group
Avendus Capital Private Limited
Pune Kondhwa Realty Private Limited
Varian Medical Systems (India) Private Limited
Silversmith Capital Partners
Euclid Transactional UK Limited
DUAL Corporate Risks
Harinagar Sugar Mills
Indorama Synthetics (India) Limited
Anheuser Busch InBev India Limited
Super Highway Labs Private Limited
H-D Motor Company India Private Limited
Mangalam Cement Limited
Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited
Siemens Healthcare India Private Limited
Royal Touch Fablon (P) Ltd.
Emami Agrotech Limited
Sthirlaxmi Excavation LLP
Philips Carbon Black
Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan’s tax vertical covers all aspects of contentious and non-contentious matters under the the leadership of founding partner V. Lakshmikumaran. Indirect tax matters pertaining to GST (encompassing the hot-button issues surrounding anti-profiteering), excise tax and VAT are a point of strength for the practice; key names on this front include Ravi Raghavan and Mathivanan N. for advisory services and Charanya Lakshmikumaran and Narasimhan B.L. for litigation. Direct tax engagements are spearheaded by S. Vasudevan, who advises a diverse client base of FMCG, IT, telecoms, manufacturing and financial services corporates on income tax assessments, M&A transactions, business restructurings, corporate expansions and transfer pricing disputes before the ITAT.
Other key lawyers:
Cement companies in the Cement Supply case (titled CCE vs. Madras cements)
Sony, Nikon and Canon
Gas Authority of India Ltd
Mahindra and Mahindra
Johnson and Johnson
Antrix Corporation (ISRO)
L3 Communications India
- Acting for a leading french utility company in arbitration against the State Government. The State Government seeks to recover GST dues worth 10 crores on the allegation that this leading french utility company has unfairly profiteered with the implementation of GST due to additional credits.
- Representing Johnson & Johnson before the National Anti-Profiteering Authority (NAPA) and the High Court. NAPA is the statutory mechanism under GST law to check the unfair profiteering activities by the registered suppliers under GST law.
- Represented Emaar MGF from the adjudication stage up to the Supreme Court is proceedings arising from demand notices under Works Contract Law for the construction of Commonwealth Games Sports Village in Delhi.
Nishith Desai Associates
Nishith Desai Associates is a leading firm for international tax matters. The firm provides tax planning and structuring advice on cross-border transactions and representation on complex tax litigation and international tax controversy.
On the transactional side of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co’s tax offering, high-profile global corporates frequently engage key partners Amit Singhania and Gouri Puri on market-leading M&A deals, joint ventures, foreign investments and large-scale corporate reorganisations. Abhay Sharma regularly provides direct taxation advice to global private equity funds and sovereign wealth funds, while Rajat Bose (who recently joined from a Big Four accounting firm) leads the indirect tax team, encompassing GST, VAT and service tax issues. Additional fields of expertise include state-specific excise tax knowledge, provided to alcoholic beverages companies, and digital taxation, provided to digital businesses, social media platforms and government bodies. On the contentious front, tax controversies including audits, investigations and appeals are handled.
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
OMERS (Pension Fund)
Norwest Venture Partner
Bafin B.N. (Bata Group)
Carsberg India Private Limited
Krishnapatnam Ports Company Limited (Navayuga Group)
Henkel Adhesive Technologies
Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Private Limited
Tiger Media Holdings
Jindal Steel Ltd
Jupiter Wagons Limited
Blue Water Energy LLP
- Advised Ctrip.com on the acquisition of a $1.46bn stake in MakeMyTrip from Naspers.
- Provided tax and strategic advice to TPG Group in relation to the takeover of management of the existing assets of the Abraaj Group’s Growth Markets Health Fund worth $1bn.
- Advised Apollo Group on the sale of a majority stake in Apollo Munich Health Insurance to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited.
Vaish Associates received high peer praise for its tax litigation expertise, which is provided by practice head Neeraj Jain, senior advocate Ajay Vohra, key partners Rohit Jain, Gaurav Jain and Kavita Jha, and principle associate Abhishek Agarwal, among others. Particularly strong on the direct side, ongoing instructions cover the breadth of domestic tax, international tax (including a high volume of matters pertaining to DTAAs) and transfer pricing issues, with representation provided before all strata of judicial fora. An extensive book of multinational corporates across all major sectors - from pharmaceuticals and technology to household goods and automotive clients - take advantage of the large in-house team of chartered accountants, which assists with formulating cutting-edge litigation strategy.
Amadeus IT Group S.A.
BG International Ltd.
Brillio Technologies Ltd.
Nestle India Ltd.
Corning SAS India Branch Office
Daimler India Commercial Vehicles Pvt. Ltd.
Fresenius Kabi Oncology Ltd.
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals SA
Guardian Industries, U.S.A.
HCL Technologies Ltd.
Hero Motocorp Ltd.
Honda Siel Power Products Ltd.
Hughes Network Systems Ltd.
LG Electronics India Pvt. Ltd.
Magneti Marelli Powertrain India Pvt. Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric India Pvt. Ltd.
Philip Morris Services SARL – India Branch
Pitney Bowes Software India Pvt. Ltd.
Technip UK Ltd.
Aricent Technologies (Holding) Ltd. (now Altran Technologies )
Volvo India Pvt. Ltd.
Acer India Ltd.
STMicroelectronics India Pvt. Ltd.
- Undertook extensive legal research and rendered legal opinion to domain name registrar GoDaddy on an issue which revolved around the eligibility of a Limited Liability Company incorporated in the US, which is disregarded for tax purposes, to claim treaty benefits under the India-US DTAA.
- Represented Maruti Suzuki India in an issue involving the admissibility of additional ground of appeal relating to restriction of distribution tax on dividend to the lower rate of 10% provided under the India-Japan DTAA.
- Advised Nestle India on a complex legal issue regarding the application of lower rate of tax as provided in terms of the India-Switzerland DTAA while paying dividend distribution tax in India on dividend paid to a holding company in Switzerland.
In a successful year for Advaita Legal’s indirect tax offering, a host of domestic and international banks engaged the team on GST litigation with wide-ranging consequences for the banking sector. The engagements concern complex issues surrounding the taxability of free services. A R Madhav Rao, Kanupriya Bhargava and Shashank Shekhar handle indirect tax litigation, including recent disputes concerning GST levies on ocean freight services, while state excise tax advice for global alcoholic beverages clients is another strong point for the team. Further sectors of expertise include oil and gas and solar energy. Since publication, Sudipta Bhattacharjee left for Khaitan & Co. in February 2021.
Indian Bank Association
India Coke and Power Limited
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
PDR Solution FZC
Den Networks Limited
Agilent Technologies (International)
- Formulated an appropriate strategy and obtained relief in the form of a favourable interim order from the High Court for the Indian Bank Association, Kotak Bank and 12 other private, public and foreign banks.
- Obtained an order from the High Court on behalf of India Coke and Power Limited holding the levy of GST on ocean freight services as unconstitutional.
- Formulated a strategy to obtain a refund of the GST paid Vedanta Medical Research Foundation with respect to land allocated for building of a hospital.
Advisory services across direct and indirect tax matters are provided the ALMT Legal’s tax practice heads Aliff Fazelbhoy and Statira Ranina. An uptick in engagements involving permanent establishment issues and cross-border software payments was witnessed by the team, with instructuring being sources from multinational construction, oil and gas, logistics, aviation, consumer electronics and FMCG clients. Ranina leads on GST-related matters while Fazelbhoy fields expertise in transfer pricing disputes, mutual agreement procedures, incentive plan structuring and withholding tax matters. The team recently handled successful appeals against customs tax penalties.
New Acropolis Cultural Organisation
Institute of Physics, UK
- Assisted Crompton Greaves in successfully appealing in the high court against an order imposing penalty on them under the customs act for alleged under invoicing.
- Advised on the applicability of tax laws to territorial waters, the implication of having highly skilled employees from different countries come to India and work on the drilling rig and the potential risk of a PE both by reason of having an office and by sending personnel for varying lengths of time, the tax implication on individuals coming to India and the obligations of the offshore entity to withhold tax, file tax returns, etc
- Successfully strategized and appealed an order for a large transfer pricing assessment made against our client alleging that brokerage commission and royalty charged to its affiliates in other jurisdiction were below arms length prices.
Key names at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas for tax advice include S.R. Patnaik, Mekhla Anand and Daksha Baxi, who lead teams focused on direct, indirect and international tax issues respectively. The bulk of instructions pertain to complex transacting structuring (domestic and cross border) and corporate reorganisations across a broad range of sectors, from banking and finance and insurance to FMCG and healthcare. Though primarily focused on non-contentious issues, the team has witnessed a rise in tax disputes instructions, and is currently involved in direct tax litigation regarding income tax assessments.
Nazara Technologies Limited No
Qatar Investment Authority No
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited No
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank No
Investcorp Private Equity Fund II and Healthcare Parent
Procter & Gamble Company
Varian Medical Systems
Synergy Property Development Services Private Limited
Equistone Partners Europe Limited
- Provided strategic advice on the liability of HalaPlay to discharge service tax, GST and income tax on the online fantasy games supplied by it.
- Provided legal, regulatory and-tax related advice to Investcorp Private Equity Fund II and Healthcare Parent’s acquisition of 43% of the share capital of Nephrocare Health Services through a combination of equity and preference shares.
- Advised private equtiy fund HGGC on its acquisition of the Indian business of American Megatrends Inc.
Advisory and restructuring matters are major points of strength for the tax practice at Kochhar & Co. Practice head Shahid Khan has a focus on direct tax issues, particularly cross-border investment and transaction structuring (benefiting from a recently established Dubai office), transfer pricing and compliance with international tax treaties. New join Shampa Bhattacharya (from a Big Four accounting firm) strengthens the indirect tax side of the practice, with ongoing engagements pertaining to GST, VAT and market pre-entry guidance. Disputes before the appellate authorities were also recently handled. Professional services and IT are key sectors of focus.
Other key lawyers:
Gas Authority of India Limited
The Apollo Group
Vodafone India Services Private Limited
Labaton Sucharow LLP
Commvault System Inc
Epiance Software Private Limited
IPSAA Holdings Private Limited
TSI Instruments Limited
AML Global Limited
- Assisted Vodafone India Services with a multijurisdictional financing proposal of its UK Principal for financing its business in India.
- Advised The Apollo Group on tax efficient structuring for entering into service agreements for providing victualing services, on-board services, manpower services and other services to an Indian ship cruiser through its Indian-appointed entity. Also provided GST-related advice.
- Advoised Labaton Sucharow LLP, lead counsel in a class action suit filed by the Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi on the taxability in India of $9m agreed to be paid by Indian company Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited to a class of investors in the US.
Recent highlights for Majmudar & Partners’ tax practice co-head Akil Hirani involved advising high-profile multinational clients on complex ESOP and equity compensation plan structuring, alongside a healthy stream of M&A-related tax structuring. International corporate clients and high-net-worth investors benefit from co-head Ravishankar Raghavan’s extensive knowledge of permanent establishment issues, international taxation treaties and the establishment of Indian subsidiaries. The team witnessed an increase in US-based clients, who instructed Rukshad Davar to advise on joint venture restructuring and transfer pricing provisions for their Indian operations.
Other key lawyers:
DLA Piper, Hong Kong
Oticon Medical Denmark
Dealogic (Holdings) Limited, UK
- Provided transfer pricing advice to NapCloud, a US-based software company.
- Advising ChargePoint on a matter concerning the tax and regulatory issues around an equity incentive plan.
- Providing advice on permanent establishment issues to Danish company Oticon Medical.
Trilegal provides expert advice across the breadth of direct and indirect tax disciplines, covering transfer pricing litigation, M&A support, customs issues and regulatory investigations. Practice heads Himanshu Sinha and Samsuddha Majmuder receive engagements from an expanding set of multinational clients from key sectors including financial services, technology, software and professional services. Matters pertaining to foreign trade are a strong point for counsel Nameer Khan, while counsel Komal Dani provides full-scope tax support to a range of infrastructure, private equity and distressed funds clients.
Pitney Bowes Group
Income Tax Department
Samsung India Electronics Limited
AB Mauri India Private Limited
Tata Communications Limited
Blackhawk Network Holdings
Bank of Baroda
EIG Global Energy Partners
InfraCo. Asia Affordable Housing
- Advised Pitney Bowes on various options for undertaking the divestiture of its software solutions business to Syncsort from a tax optimisation perspective. Also advised on the ensuing asset transfer pursuant to a global deal involving the hive-out of a particular business line on the global level.
- Acted for Silicon Labs, a US-based semiconductor manufacturing company, on its acquisition of Redpine Signal’s Wi-Fi and Bluetooth business, development centre in India, and extensive patent portfolio for $308m.
- Conducted a detailed health-check of VmWare’s Indian subsidiary and assisted it in structuring its Indian business operations in a tax efficient manner. Also represented VMware India before the Department of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) in an investigation initiated against the alleged incorrect benefits claimed by the company under the foreign trade policy.
Amicus is a highly rated firm for transfer pricing issues under the leadership of Ashutosh Mohan Rastogi, who is regularly instructed on transfer pricing litigation in the High Court by a broad set of clients. Recent successes saw Rastogi fetch favourable ruling for clients in the IT, professional services, consumer electronics and food and drink sectors, among others. The team also fields expertise in GST-related advice and litigation. Being sole Indian member of the global transfer pricing network Altus Alliance assists with cross-border advisory and contentious matters.
Cinestaan Entertainment Private Ltd
Rubber Skill Development Council
Ekatra Hospitality Pvt Ltd
DE Diamond Electric India Pvt. Ltd
Pyramid IT Consulting Pvt. Ltd
- Succeeded in deleting/quashing the entire transfer pricing adjustment on receivables at the ITAT for IT company Corbus.
- Successfully represented Astra Business Services in transfer pricing litigation at the ITAT.
- Obtained a favourable ruling for architecture company Takenada India which set aside the corporate tax adjustments on account of expenditure on PF Contribution and ROC Fees, and also excluded certain inappropriate comparables from the final set of comparables.
HSA Advocates provides corporate tax advice encompassing direct and indirect matters for M&A transactions, business expansions and reorganisations. On the contentious side, Faranaaz Karbhari and Rahul Jain field expertise in High Court litigation concerning contested entry tax levies. As a prominent firm in the energy sector, it is a go-to name for clients in the solar industry for GST-related advice pertaining to power purchase agreements, a prominent issue in the sector.
Acme Yamuna Nagar Solar Power
Acme Solar Holdings
Dayakara Solar Power
Acme Jaipur Solar Power
IN08 Packaging LLP
Oakridge Rooftop Private Limited
Pacific Green Technologies Limited
KEC International Limited
Mytrah Vayu (Bhima) Private Limited
- Advised Pacific Green Technologies Limited on setting up a legal entity in India with respect to a contract with one of India’s leading energy/power companies from the taxation and regulatory compliance point of view.
- Advised Dayakara Solar Power on a writ petition challenging the High Court order directing the client to pay 25% of Tax for imports over numerous years.
- Advising and drafting of responses to the tax queries raised by Chinese entertainment company iQIYI Inc, which is looking to branch out in India by offering its services to Indian consumers.
Tax advisory and cross-border restructuring matters at Phoenix Legal are handled by co-head Abhishek Saxena on the direct side and co-head Pranav Srivastava on the direct side. The team was recently engaged by Indian subsidiaries to advise on transfer pricing, triangular trade agreements, import-export transactions, permanent establishment issues and general M&A activity. Co-heads Manjula Chawla and Saket Shukla add strength to transactional matters. sectors of focus include insurance, financial services, IT, healthcare and the heavy industries.
Sam’s Club (subsidiary of Walmart)
Intuitive Surgical Inc.
Albright Stonebridge Group
Intrexon Corporation/Trans Ova Genetics LC
Rokit World Limited
- Advised software company Volaris Group on the Indian asset purchase agreement and on all aspects of its part acquisition of Nokia’s video product business.
GST assessments and related litigation are ongoing points of focus for boutique firm Reina Legal. Co-head Gajendra Maheshwari takes on anti-profiteering disputes, appeals before the tax authorities and policy advice on tax reform projects. Complex dual taxation disputes concerning VAT levies were also recently handled before the Supreme Court. Clients include global technology, infrastructure and telecoms names, and regulatory bodies. Indirect tax compliance structure are also advised on; co-head Tripti Dhar assists on this front.
IDP Education Group
Proptiger Marketing Services
Luxury Tech Services
Wheelseye Technologies India
Indus Towers Ltd.
CBRE South Asia
Cushman and Wakefield (India)
United Colours of Benetton
Samsung SDS India
Tower Vision India
Anton Paar India
Amdocs Development Centre India LLP
Viavi Solutions India
Pioneer India Electronics
Jones Lang LaSalle India
Light Ray Advisors LLP (Saif Partners)
- Represented Indus Towers before the High Court, and obtained a favourable judgement holding that VAT cannot be imposed on the provision of passive infrastructure service.
- Represented and obtained favourable results for Siemens before the Delhi VAT Tribunal on an issue concerning the interstate movement of goods.
- challenged the vires of Section 83 of Central Goods and Service Tax Act on behalf of Ireo before the High Court on the ground that it gives arbitrary powers to the Goods and Tax Authorities for acting against taxpayers without affording them any opportunity.
Bhasin Sethi & Associates
Bhasin Sethi & Associates is a boutique tax firm with a focus on indirect tax laws, encompassing excise, customs, VAT, GST and service tax. Founding partners Ashok Bhasin and Vimal Sethi are retained by an impressive book of domestic clients across a broad list of sectors including shipping, telecoms, heavy machinery, automotive, media and real estate. Prominent clients in the financial services sector recently enlisted the team to handle responses to show cause notices issued by tac authorities.
‘Always supportive and professional.‘
Havells India Ltd.
Jacquar India Ltd.
SCJ Plastics Ltd.
Gateway Distrik Park Ltd.
Machino Polymers Ltd.
Rajat Trading Co.
KSS Abhishek Auto
- Gave a legal opinion on availment of input tax credit in respect of expenses incurred towards corporate social responsibility to Rail Vikar Nigam.
- Filed an appeal on behalf of Havells India in respect of a matter wherein there was a difficulty in transfer of credit of duty paid on goods procured under DTA to a corporate as the original bills of entry were in the name of the transferor.
- Filed reply for Gateway Rail Freight to a show cause notice wherein the matter involved the applicability of SEIS in respect of movement of containers within the country where the payment was made in Indian currency.
BMR Legal specialises in the field on transfer pricing, offering support on contentious and non-contentious mandates. The team regularly appears before the ITAT on disputes for global corporate clients.
Singh & Associates Founder – Manoj K Singh Advocates and Solicitors has an active direct tax practice which draws upon the corporate expertise of co-head Daizy Chawla and the litigation expertise of Vijay Kumar Singh and founding partner Manoj Kumar Singh. Recent High Court successes saw positive results in quashing income tax recovery orders for clients in the manufacturing, infrastructure sectors. Other recent instructions saw the team providing advice on GST and customs tax to corporate clients.
JITF Urban Infrastructure Services Limited
Jindal Fittings Limited
Jindal Quality Tubular Limited
Jindal ITF Limited
Dennemeyer & Associates, SA
CEC International Corporation India Private Limited
Vikram Solar Private Limited
- Provided advice to manufacturing company Fagora Arraste on taxation issues in India.
- Advised CEC International Corp India on reimbursement of GST claims from the contractor DMRC.
- Assisted Vikram Solar Private Limited with demanding GST claims from a contractor.
TLC Legal focuses on indirect tax matters under the leadership of Vipin Jain. The team is handling a high volume of contentious matters before the CESTAT and High Court, with instructions pertaining to liability of VAT, GST, customs tax and service tax. The client base comprises domestic names in shipping, manufacturing, mining and energy.
ABG Shipyard Limited
Reliance Jio Infocom Limited
Reliance Industries Limited
Rajasthan State Mines and Minerals Limited
Cricket Club of India
Nayara Energy Limited
Metro Shoes Ltd.
Dream 11 Fantasy Pvt. Ltd.
- We represented four employees of ABG Shipyard Limited against an order passed by the Additional Director General imposing penalties under Section 112(a) of the Customs Act.
- Representing Reliance Jio Infocom in a dispute concerning the classification of the goods under the Customs Tariff Act.
- Representing Vedanta Limited before the CESTAT in a case which determined the differentiation between corporate guarantee and bank guarantee.