Firms in the Spotlight Projects and energy
ALAYA LEGAL ADVOCATES
Alaya Legal is a law firm founded in 2003 and based in New Delhi with the capability of providing legal services throughout most of India. The founding partners, Divjyot Singh and Suniti Kaur are alumni of the National Law School of India University, Bangalore and have been practicing since 1995. The firm comprises of a …View Profile...
Projects and energy in India
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas is a go-to destination for lenders, project sponsors and developers which seek advice on project finance transactions as well as governments and multilateral institutions in relation to the development of pan-Asia infrastructure. Public-private partnerships (PPPs) for the development, operation and maintenance of ports, railways and airports is a key area of specialty for the team, whose sectoral expertise further covers mining and energy. Of particular note, the team is regularly the counsel of choice for acquisitions in the renewable energy segment as well as EPC contracts and regulatory issues. L. Viswanathan is a name to note for project finance, while Santosh Janakiram handles renewable energy mandates. Ramanuj Kumar focuses on electricity regulations and infrastructure projects.
Reliance Industries Limited
L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited
Bank of America N.A.
Power Finance Corporation Limited
- Acted for Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Limited (IL&FS) in a transaction involving the divestiture of 7 special purpose vehicles (Wind SPVs) operating wind power generative plants with aggregate capacity of 873.5 MW, by the IL&FS Group to ORIX Corporation (ORIX).
- Advised RIL and its affiliates in relation to the investment by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP and its institutional partners of INR 25,215 crore in the units to be issued by Tower Infrastructure Trust.
- Acted as transaction counsel to AGEL (as the investor) and Piramal (as the existing lender) in relation to the proposed divestment of 10 solar projects by Essel Infraprojects Limited.
With a multidisciplinary team, HSA Advocates possesses longstanding credentials in multi-party infrastructure projects, providing assistance to clients throughout the entire life cycle of a project. The broad service offering covers project finance and development, as well as dispute resolution, M&A and restructuring matters. The team handles the full spectrum of infrastructure disputes, including regulatory proceedings, and is adept at advising on complex PPP arrangements, EPC contracts and concession agreements. Hemant Sahai, whose projects and energy experience spans more than three decades, is a core member of the practice. Soumya Kanti De Mallik is regularly instructed by governmental agencies on urban development projects.
Mumbai Port Trust
The World Bank
GAIL India Ltd.
National Capital Region Transport Corporation Limited
International Finance Corporation
Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation Limited
Royal Government of Cambodia
Vizhinjam International Seaport Limited
Eden Renewables India LLP
I Squared Capital
Ministry of Defence, Government of India
GAIL (India) Limited
India Power Corporation Limited (IPCL)
Sansera Engineering Limited
Oakridge Energy P. Ltd
- Advising the Ministry of Defence, Government of India (GOI) on the ‘Strategic Partnership Model’ under the Defence Procurement Procedure, 2016 which seeks to progressively build indigenous capabilities in the private sector to design, develop and manufacture complex weapon systems for future needs of the armed forces.
- Advising NITI Aayog, Government of India on structuring and drafting of bid documents with respect to the National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage.
- Advising Ministry of Economy and Finance, Kingdom of Cambodia (MEF) and Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC) on the operation and maintenance arrangement for storage, cleaning, drying, and handling of rice/paddy across Cambodia with a provision for warehouse receipt financing.
J Sagar Associates
Combining regulatory expertise with commercial strategic advice, J Sagar Associates offers legal support to private and public sector clients in relation to large-scale project finance and development in the energy and natural resources, transport, telecoms and municipal infrastructure sectors. The practice routinely advises on first-of-its-kind model and contracting structures as well as new forms of concessions. Public procurement and dispute resolution also feature on the group's caseload. Amit Kapur is often retained by central and state governments on regulatory and PPP issues. Venkatesh Raman Prasad focuses on M&A and private equity transactions in the energy and infrastructure sectors, while regulatory and policy expert Vishnu Sudarsan is a seasoned practitioner across verticals, such as power, telecoms and transports.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team, led by Amit Kapur, an able leader of his class and style in the Energy domain, is highly professional and focused on results.’
‘Amit Kapur, joint managing partner of JSA, is an able leader of his class and style in almost all the domains, more particularly Energy Projects, M&A, JV, etc.’
Airports Authority of India
Indian Oil Corporation Limited
NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam Limited
Oil India Ltd
Selan Exploration Technology Ltd
Reliance Infrastructure Limited
RATP Dev and Transdev Asia
Cargill India Pvt. Ltd
Reliance Communications Limited and Reliance Infratel Limited
Jindal Steel and Power Limited
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
Hero Future Energies Private Limited
Orange India Power Limited & AT Group
Sterlite Power (Vedanta Group)
Pune Metro Region Development Authority
Energy Efficiency Services Ltd
Tata Power Delhi Distribution Private Limited
BSES Rajdhani Power Private Limited
BSES Yamuna Power Private Limited
Cerner Corporation, USA
Cisco WebEx Cloud Collaboration Technology Group
Accenture Services Private Li
- Represented the Association of Power Producers, Rattan India, GVK, GMR and Coastal Energen in the landmark judgment where Supreme Court has quashed the RBI 12 February 2019 circular on stressed assets.
- Advised PMRDA in private delivery of the first metro rail project in India being developed on PPP basis under the New Metro Policy 2017.
- Advised several state governments (Gujarat, Maharashtra, Odisha and Telangana) in first of its public electronic auctions of mineral blocks granting mining leases/ composite licences (both with and without specified end-use) in respect of mineral blocks under and in accordance with the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957 and the Mineral (Auction) Rules, 2015, as amended from time to time.
The energy, infrastructure and resources team at Khaitan & Co LLP fields a pan-India offering which apart from project finance and development, also includes advice on M&A, private equity (PE) investments and concession agreements. The team is adept at assisting with regulatory and policy issues, offering representation to clients in complex disputes arising out of engineering and infrastructure projects. Clients range from project sponsors and PE investors to governmental entities, developers and lenders. Dibyanshu Sinha has advised on several transactions in the renewable energy and mining sectors. Akhil Bhatnagar and Gahan Singh are key contacts for financial and strategic investors. Furthermore, Shivanshu Thaplyal specialises in PPP projects, while Swathy Ramanath has in-depth knowledge of the power, urban rail and airports verticals. Akshay Malhotra has recently joined from HSA Advocates.
‘The team tries to understand what the Client wants, then works on tailoring their advice around that and the law, as opposed to telling what they think is right. The commerce drives the contract as opposed to the contract driving the commerce.’
‘They are always willing to listen and understand. Even on fees they understand when you can pay and when you can’t and are willing to go the lengths for the sake of the relationship. That is comforting, as legal costs remain high and availability and dedication remain low in other firms.’
GS Engineering and Construction Corporation Limited
Delhi International Airport Limited (“DIAL”)
Torrent Power Limited and Torrent Gas Private Limited
Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited
Piramal Capital & Housing Finance Limited and Baboon Investments Holding B.V.
GMR Energy Limited
Shapoorji Pallonji Infrastructure Capital Company Private Limited
INOX Air Products Private Limited
Edelweiss Financial Services Limited and Sekura Roads Limited
Blue Planet Environmental Solutions Pte. Limited
Godrej and Boyce Manufacturing Limited
Essar Steel Metal Trading Limited
- Advised GS Engineering and Construction Corporation Limited on its proposed joint venture with ReNew Power (including drafting and finalising the transaction documents) for developing a 300 MW solar power project in Rajasthan, awarded by Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited through the SECI ISTS-IV bidding.
- Advised CESC Limited in relation to its appointment as a distribution franchisee of Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited for the distribution and supply of electricity in Malegaon Urban I, II & III sub-divisions and 5 villages of Malegaon Rural sub-division under Malegaon Circle.
- Advised Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited in relation to the sale of its stake in three subsidiaries in tranches to CLP India Private Limited.
L&L Partners Law Offices has longstanding experience in the projects, energy and infrastructure sectors, acting as legal counsel to private and public entities. The group is well-equipped to assist with the full range of mandates, including financing transactions, development matters, concession agreements as well as EPC contracts and power purchase agreements. Mohit Saraf has thorough experience advising on projects in the energy, telecoms and airports sectors. Focusing on financing matters, Pallavi Bedi is noteworthy for projects pertaining to renewable energy, mining and oil & gas. Deepak Kumar Thakur, who recently joined from HSA Advocates, is knowledgeable of the PPP framework, and a seasoned practitioner in nuclear and renewable energy. Another key individual is Priyanka Singh, who assists with project development and financing.
Other key lawyers:
‘The L&L team was impressive in their approach towards resolving some real technical issues pertaining to energy sector.
‘Pallavi Bedi is always available and approachable on the shortest of notices. Her knowledge and hard work approach is appreaciated.’
‘The Team under the leadership of Mr. Deepak Kumar (of L&L Partners Law Offices) is doing exceptionally well in Commercial Arbitration. He is excellent in Drafting Pleading and finding facts and use of legal citations during Arguments.’
Petroleum Nasional Berhad
Penn Energy Renewables, LTD
Mumbai Port Trust
Rays Power Infra Private Limited
Canadian Solar Inc.
Amplus Energy Solutions Private Limited
NEPRA Resource Management Private Limited
Solarpack Corporacion Tecnologica S.A.
- Advised PETRONAS on its first investment in the renewable energy space in India, commencing with conducting due diligence on solar projects and project companies of the target company, Amplus Energy Solutions Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Canadian Solar India Private Limited in drafting, negotiating and finalising project documentation for the implementation and operations & maintenance of a 100 MWAC solar power projects with battery storage system of 25 MWhs, at Maduru Oya Reservoir, Sri Lanka.
- Provides legal services to NITI Aayog in relation to drafting of model concession documents – agreements, requests for qualification and requests for proposal, review of concession documents received from ministries/ government departments and providing comments thereon for PPP projects.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co offers advice to the entire array of stakeholders, including governmental bodies, multilateral agencies, developers, contractors and investors, on the negotiation of innovative security structures and project documentation. One of the first destinations for financing mandates and PPP projects, the team is also adept at representing developers and industrial consumers in regulatory proceedings, and assisting with privatisation transactions. Practice head Jatin Aneja has strong transactional credentials in the oil and gas sector, while V. R. Neelakantan is experienced in power transmission projects, concerning traditional and renewable energy sources. Deepto Roy is extremely active in this field, bringing together litigation, regulatory and transactional expertise. Project finance is one of Prashant Sirohi's core legal specialisms.
- Advised Navayuga Engineering Company Limited and its group companies in the sale to the Edelweiss Infrastructure Yield Plus fund and Sekura Roads Limited of 100% of the share capital of two SPVs (i.e. Navayuga Dhola Infra Projects Private Limited and Navayuga Dibang Infra Projects Private Limited, collectively referred to as the SPVs).
- Acted for Hines, a US based global real estate investment and management firm, in relation to investment in a special purpose vehicle of DLF Limited, for development of a commercial project in Gurgaon, Haryana.
- Advised PNC Infratech Limited, Bharat Road Network Limited and Galfar Oman in the proposed divestment of their 100% stake in Ghaziabad-Aligarh road project to Cube Highways and Infrastructure Pte. Ltd, a Singapore based portfolio company of I Squared Capital.
Trilegal is one of the first ports of call for several stakeholders in landmark deals in the energy and infrastructure sector. Lawyers are proficient in the entire spectrum of transactional, regulatory and contentious matters, covering renewable energy, oil & gas, nuclear power, transport and urban infrastructure. The team stands out for its wide-ranging expertise in the field of clean tech projects, and is increasingly involved in mandates involving foreign jurisdictions. Neeraj Menon, who was recently appointed as the national department head following Akshay Jaitly's departure, has expanded the service offering in Mumbai, which counts with inputs from the M&A and private equity teams to handle investment and acquisition deals in the energy and infrastructure sector. Saurabh Bhasin excels in PPP projects, as well as financing and development matters.
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Omers Infrastructure Management Inc. (OMERS)
Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP)
Virgin Hyperloop One
PSA International Pte Ltd
Alfanar Energy KSA
NLMK India Electrical Steel Private Limited
Macquarie Capital/Green Investment Group
Cube Highways Infrastructure III Pte. Limited
EIG Global Energy Partners
LGT Lightstone Aspada
Coincident Energy Pte Ltd.
Sekura Energy Limited
Engie – JV with STOA Infra and Energy
EDF International Networks SAS (EDF)
Edelweiss Alternative Asset Advisors
NEXTPOWER III LP
CLP India Private Limited
- Assisting IFC and the respective state/national government bodies in designing and bidding out solar power projects in Madhya Pradesh (1500 MW), wind and solar projects in Sri Lanka (400 MW) on a PPP basis and 200 MW solar photovoltaic (PV) power project (out of the 600 MW solar PV power complex) in the Egypt’s West Nile province.
- Represented OMERS in its acquisition (through its FPI) of 66,200,000 units of the IndInfravit Trust, an infrastructure investment trust (InvIT), from L&T Limited.
- Advised Virgin Hyperloop One (VHO) on all matters relating to setting up a pilot hyperloop system connecting Pune and Mumbai in India through a swiss challenge mode of procurement.
The infrastructure, energy and natural resources practice at AZB & Partners brings together multidisciplinary expertise across M&A, funds, capital markets and dispute resolution, providing comprehensive services in relation to green and brownfield projects in India and abroad. The team generally acts for domestic and international players in the financing, development and acquisition of projects in the power (including renewable and nuclear), oil & gas, mining, transport, telecoms and urban infrastructure sectors. Prashanth Sabeshan, who is also a qualified solicitor in the UK, focuses on the energy and infrastructure sectors. Another core member of the team is Qais Jamal, whose experience includes EPC contracts, power purchase agreements as well as concession agreements. Senior associate Swathy Pisharody has left the firm to join Trilegal.
Other key lawyers:
Resurgent Power Ventures Pte. Ltd., a joint venture between Tata Power International Pte. Ltd (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Power), ICICI Bank
ICICI Securities Limited, Axis Capital Limited, Credit Suisse Securities (India) Private Limited, Deutsche Equities India Private Limited, IIFL Securities Limited and SBI Capital Markets Limited, IndusInd Bank Limited and YES Securities (India) Limited
Qatar Holding LLC (a group entity of Qatar Investment Authority)
KKR & Co Inc and funds/vehicles managed by it
Yellow Bell Investment Limited, an affiliate of Warburg Pincus LLC, and Clean Max Enviro Energy Solutions Private Limited
Brookfield Asset Management Inc
Reliance Industries Limited, Jio Platforms Limited and Reliance Retail Limited
- Acted for RIL, JPL and RRL in connection with Facebook’s proposed investment in JPL, representing 9.99% of the post transaction share capital of JPL (on a fully diluted basis), for a consideration of approx $5.7bn.
- Advised Renascent Power Ventures Private Limited (wholly owned subsidiary of Resurgent) and Resurgent in connection with the acquisition of 75.01% of the equity share capital and 100% of the preference share capital of Prayagraj Power Generation Company Limited from the security trustee to the existing lenders.
- Advised Brookfield/ BIF IV Jarvis India Pte. Ltd (an affiliate of Brookfield) in connection with $3.3bn investment in units to be issued by Reliance Industries Limited Tower Infrastructure Trust (“Trust”).
With particular strength in the transport logistics network sector, Bharucha & Partners is often retained by Indian corporations, leading power and energy players as well as foreign multinationals to assist with public procurement, project finance and dispute resolution, including regulatory proceedings. Another area of activity for the firm is private equity transactions involving infrastructure projects, with a special emphasis on the ports, railways and roads segment. The department is jointly led by Alka Bharucha, who focuses on project finance, and Justin Bharucha, who regularly advises on power projects.
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets
Adani Enterprises Limited
Aditya Birla Group
Vodafone Idea Limited
IJM Corporation Berhad
Mahindra & Mahindra Group
Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
JM Baxi Group
Amun Solar Farms
Vestas Wind Technology India Private Limited
Larsen & Toubro Limited
Sesa Sterlite Limited (now Vedanta Limited)
Bharat Road Network Limited
- Advised Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited on the acquisition of an 85% stake in Linjemontage i Grastrop AB, a Swedish EPC company which, together with its Swedish and Norwegian subsidiaries, operates throughout Scandinavia.
- Advised Alchem International in Alchem International Pvt. Ltd. vs DHBVN in relation to electricity purchased from Open Access.
- Represented Vodafone Idea Limited in a challenge to Interconnection Usage Charges (IUC) before the Bombay High Court.
Offering representation to lenders, public and private players, DSK Legal is adept at advising on the implementation of greenfield and brownfield projects. Energy is at the core of the projects practice, which is a solid performer in the field of climate change projects, energy trading schemes as well as trading of renewable energy certificates. Apart from assisting with financing issues, the department is well versed in providing support in relation to EPC contracts, concession agreements, and contractual disputes. Anjan Dasgupta has a strong track record in the development of domestic and foreign infrastructure projects, including roads, ports, railways, mining and power plants. Ajay Shaw often acts for governmental entities, having led on several smart city and urban infrastructure projects. Dinesh Pardasani, who recently joined from Link Legal – India Law Services with a team of lawyers, has a wealth of experience of assisting renewable energy clients on contractual and regulatory issues.
‘Knowledge about bidding process and all associated processes such as revenue and stamp duty, company secretarial activities; cross-border compliance; litigation advisory; and business intelligence.’
‘Anjan Dasgupta has extensive knowledge of bidding and allied processes and provides prompt response to queries. Availability and responsiveness are the key attributes.’
‘The team provides a holistic view on the transaction covering M&A, regulatory, financing, sector knowledge and dispute resolution which enables to understand risk from all perspectives. The firm has also advised various authorities in the past and this experience is really insightful while project evaluating. The firm has advised on various infrastructure sub-sectors like roads, aviation and railways.’
‘Anjan Dasgupta has been associated with all the airport projects in India and very well equipped on other sub-sectors like roads and railways.’
Zurich Airport International AG
City and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra Limited (CIDCO)
National Investment and Infrastructure Fund
Shanghai SIIC Transportation Electric Co., Ltd., China
TRIL Urban Transport Private Limited & Siemens Project Ventures GmbH, Pune IT City Metro Rail Limited
Keolis SA & Keolis Asia Pte. Ltd.
Compañía Española de Financiación del Desarrollo S.A.
Mumbai International Airport Limited
Maharashtra Airport Development Company Limited
CMA Terminals and CMA-CGM, France
Mumbai Port Trust
Indian Ports Association
Assystem Engineering and Operation Services
National Highway Authority of India
National Thermal Power Corporation
Neyveli Lignite Corporation
Pune Smart City Corporation Limited
Alstom Transport India Limited
Alstom Systems India Private Ltd.
Hitachi Rails STS
GE Renewable Energy
Sparklet Engineers Private Limited
Veolia India Pr
- Assisted Zurich Airport with its bid to develop a greenfield airport (Noida International Airport) at Jewar, Noida on a design, build, finance, operate and transfer basis.
- Assisting City Industrial Development Corporation Limited and Government of Maharashtra on all aspects regarding the Navi Mumbai International Airport project, which is currently one of the world’s largest greenfield PPP airport projects.
- Advised the Government of India, acting through the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management in relation to the strategic disinvestment of 100% equity shares held by GoI in Kamarajar Port Limited (representing 66.67% of the paid-up share capital of KPL), to Chennai Port Trust.
Economic Laws Practice
Economic Laws Practice assists domestic and foreign clients throughout all stages of project development and finance, showcasing an increasing focus on the energy sector. Fielding a team which includes corporate law specialists, the firm is well placed to assist with the structuring of transactions and investments in the infrastructure space. Furthermore, its regulatory and dispute resolution capabilities are other key strengths for the practice which is under the leadership of Sujjain Talwar, who has a wealth of experience in infrastructure projects in Asia. Aakanksha Joshi has a strong track record of private equity deals in the infrastructure and hospitality sectors.
Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund and Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund II
Exide Industries Limited (Exide)
Hindalco Industries Limited (HIL)
M.P. Power Management Company Ltd
- Acted for Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund and Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund II in carrying out a due diligence exercise on the target companies i.e. Apex Hospitals Private Limited (Target) and its wholly owned subsidiaries.
- Filed an intervention application on behalf of HIL seeking refund of Renewable Energy Certificates (REC’s) purchased during the period November 2017- February 2018 deposited before CERC.
- From time to time has advised HIL on the issue of Renewable Purchase Obligations in respect of notifications dated February 1, 2019 and October 1, 2019 by Ministry of Power and their impact on the Captive generating plants (CGP’s) being managed by HIL throughout India.
Demonstrating particular strength in M&A, IndusLaw also excels in project development mandates, namely in the power (including renewable energy) and infrastructure sectors. Construction and procurement contracts, as well as financing, restructuring and supply agreements also feature on the team's workload, which includes India and foreign project development matters. Avirup Nag attracts instructions from leading funds, and international and domestic companies, which are active in the renewable energy and transport sectors. Concession agreements are an area of focus for Nishant Singh, who is also involved in M&A and project finance. Arun Kumar stands out for work pertaining to renewable power projects, while Deepak Chowdhury has advised on numerous PPP structures.
‘Great experience overall having Arun Kumar as our lawyer. He and his team understood us and our business, very insightful and an expert in their field.’
Ayana Renewable Power Private Limited
DE Raj Group AG
- Assisted AMPSolar India (and its India management team) in relation to an investment by LGT Lightstone Aspada in AMPSolar India.
- Advised Sterlite Power Transmission Limited, a leading developer of electric power transmission infrastructure, in relation to its acquisition of the entire share holding in Gurgaon-Palwal Transmission Limited and East-North Interconnection Company Limited by Indigrid.
- Advising Canadian Solar in relation to its proposed investments in solar projects in Bangladesh.
Kochhar & Co. provides pan-Indian support to some of the largest infrastructure and energy players from the private and public sector. The firm handles the entire array of projects work, ranging from financing, to dispute resolution and development; lawyers are proficient in a variety of segments, including urban infrastructure, highways and railways, as well as oil & gas pipelines and renewable power projects. Department leader Krishna Vijay Singh is adept at handling contentious matters, which is also an area of activity for Raheel Kohli and Manish Dembla, who also has strong corporate advisory capabilities.
‘Krishna Vijay Singh has good knowledge of law as well as litigation strategy.’
‘Excellent understanding of the contracts; superior top management; attention to detail; excellent communication Skills.’
‘I would like to recommend Manish Dembla for his exemplary client management skills.’
GAIL (India) Ltd.
Indian Oil Corporation Limited.
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
Haryana Vidyut Prasaran Nigam Limited – A State of Haryana Transmission Company
Simplex infrastructures Limited
China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd.
Beijing National Railway Research & Design Institute of Signal & Communication Group Co. Ltd.
ITD Cementation Ltd.
Experion Developers Private Limited
Burman Estate Pvt. Ltd
Ocus Skyscrapers Realty Limited
- Advised China State Construction Engineering Corp. Ltd. (the largest construction company in the world by revenue) on its proposed joint venture with an Indian party for jointly bidding as a consortium for a project for construction of a bridge across river Ganga.
- Advising Beijing National Railway Research & Design Institute of Signal & Communication Group Co. Ltd. on a project for construction of Double Track Railway Lines at a Section of Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor on various issues arising during the execution of the Project as well as on its disputes with Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited and its various sub-contractors.
- Assisting HVPNL in relation to an agreement awarded to Gurgaon Palwal Transmission Limited (GPTL) for creation of 400 KV GIS Substations in Gurgaon and Palwal area, as a part of Inter-State Transmission System.
Enjoying a strong reputation in the infrastructure arena, Link Legal advises on all aspects of large scale and long-term projects, including but not limited to risk analysis, EPC contracting, project finance, restructuring, regulatory issues and dispute resolution. The team is also a solid performer in M&A and PE investments, demonstrating sector-specific expertise across airports, roads, railways, waste management and energy. The firm draws upon close ties with international firms located in strategic jurisdictions (i.e. Japan), which places it as a go-to choice for foreign companies and funds. Practice co-head Atul Sharma is noted for his experience in the transport sector, assisting with infrastructure development and contentious matters. Fellow co-leader Anand Srivastava is also proficient in dispute resolution and concession agreements.
Alstom Systems India Pvt. Ltd. (India)
Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd. (“MELPL”)
Azure Power Forty-Three Private Limited (“Azure 43”)
Azure Power India Private Limited (“Azure”)
Sterlite Group (Sterlite)
Hitachi Rail STS India Private Limited
SB Energy (SoftBank Group)
Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA)
Sunshine Law Firm (“Sunshine”)
Freyr Energy Services Private Limited (“FESPL”)
IL&FS Rail Limited (IRL), Rapid Metro Gurgaon Limited (RMGL) and Rapid Metro Gurgaon South Limited (RMGSL)
Zheneng Capital Holding Co.
Jindal Saw Ltd.
IDE Technologies Ltd. (India)
Global Infrastructure Partners India LLP (GIP)
CRRC Corporation Limited
GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited (GHIAL)
National Industrial Corridor Development & Implementation Trust(NICDIT)
Navi Mumbai International Airport Limited
Navayuga Engineering Company Limited
Delhi Aviation Fuel Facility Private Limited (DAFFPL)
Delhi International Airport Limited
- Advising MELPL (a joint venture between the Indian Railways and Alstom Manufacturing Private Limited) which has entered into a Procurement-cum-Maintenance Agreement (PCMA) with the Government of India on 30.11.2015 for inter alia the production of 800 high-power locomotives of 12000 HP over a period of 11 years designed to run on Indian tracks at 100 km per hour and for setting up of a locomotive depot in Saharanpur.
- Advised the Power vertical of Sterlite in relation to the regulatory regime which governs the allocation of Transmission Schemes.
- Assisting Freyr Energy Services Private Limited in relation to the development of 10 MW of rooftop solar projects in multiple States in India.
Phoenix Legal acts for lenders and borrowers in project finance transactions, and is adept at handling M&A deals involving infrastructure assets. The practice also assists with the preparation of concession agreements, PPP structures, EPC contracts, regulatory aspects of projects and dispute resolution. On the energy front, practitioners attract mandates on the legal issues of the entire supply chain, covering gas, LNG and conventional and renewable power. Sawant Singh leads matters pertaining to project finance, while Abhishek Saxena has significant experience in cross-border deals, PPP models and tender processes in relation to energy projects. Pranav Srivastava focuses on transactional work involving the energy sector and infrastructure disputes.
Petronet LNG Limited
HPCL Shapoorji Energy Private Limited
I Squared Capital
Atlantic Gulf and Pacific Company of Manila
GSPC LNG Limited
JOULON (an asset ownership and management services company formed in partnership with Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co)
Mahanagar Gas Limited
Indraprastha Gas Limited
- Assisting C-Quest, which is currently implementing a project in India involving promotion of efficient lighting and reducing energy consumption by introducing low cost LED lighting technology in households.
- Advised Behavioral Services Holding LLC, USA on setting up its first clinical centre in India for providing applied behaviour analysis (ABA) therapy services for children with autism and their families.
- Acted for Mitsui & Co. which entered into a joint venture with ICHIBANYA Co. Ltd. to open the world’s largest chain of Japanese-style-curry restaurants named “Curry House CoCo Ichibanya” in India starting its first outlet in New Delhi.
Advaita Legal brings together regulatory experts and transactional lawyers to offer wide-ranging legal solutions in the fields of contracts, infrastructure and projects. Bid process management, regulatory advice and contentious claims are focus areas for the department whose track record includes advising on project documentation pertaining to various sectors, such as airports, mining, railways, energy, and social infrastructure. Shailendra Singh, who is experienced in project development and litigation, oversees the department with Monali Dutta, who has been involved in several PPP projects in India.
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
GMR Power Corporation Private Limited
Essar Power Transmission Company Limited
Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited
Sterlite Power Grid Ventures Limited
Inland Waterways Authority of India
Bureau of Energy Efficiency
Expert Petroleum Solutions SRL
Madhya Pradesh Power Management Company Limited (MPPMCL)
Nashik Municipal Corporation
- Advised ONGC in relation to selection of contractor for enhancing production from operating fields.
- Acted for Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited in a dispute involving a transmission line awarded via competitive bidding in 2010.
- Providing legal advice and assistance to Sterlite in preparation of the standard templates for their operations across the transmission cycles commencing from their capex requirements to their daily operations requirements.
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors handles an array of projects, energy and infrastructure mandates on behalf of public and private sector clients. The team, which is led by Shrikant Hathi, is well-equipped to advise on small to large-scale projects in the energy, oil & gas, and mining space. The practice head has a wealth of experience of handling infrastructure projects disputes. Advocate Uttam Hathi is another noteworthy lawyer in the projects team.
Dhir & Dhir Associates is skilled at assisting with contractual negotiations and regulatory issues, as well as project finance and structuring. Project developers, investors and governmental entities seek the practice's assistance in relation to transactions and development of infrastructure and energy projects concerning sectors such as mining, oil & gas, power, railways, roads, airports, and water & waste management. Restructuring expert Alok Dhir leads the department along with project finance specialist Girish Rawat. EPC contracts and PPP projects are notable areas of practice for Guranpreet Sarna.
Other key lawyers:
IndusInd Bank Limited
PTC India Financial Services Limited
India Infradebt Limited
HDFC Bank Limited
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
Kuldip Singh Rathee and Vijay Rathee – SomDatt Finance Corporation Limited
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited
Tata Cleantech Capital Limited
Power Finance Corporation Limited
- Advised Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited on the financing being availed by Goodwatts WTE Rajkot Private Limited for the purposes of development, construction and operations of its 14.90 MW waste to energy project based on municipal solid waste in Rajkot, Gujarat.
- Advised the consortium of Lenders viz. Power Finance Corporation Limited (Lead Lender) and Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited for the financial assistance being availed by Goodwatts WTE Ahmedabad Private Limited for the purposes of development, construction and operation of its 14.9 MW waste to energy project based on municipal solid waste in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Acted for PTC India Financial Services Limited as lender in the financial assistance provided to Azure Power India Private Limited for implementation and execution of ground mounted solar power projects.
Fox Mandal acts for developers, turnkey contractors, investors and lenders in relation to infrastructure projects across India in a range of sectors, such as ports, roads and logistics. On the energy front, the team is primarily involved in matters pertaining to renewable energy, including wind and solar projects, which is a particular area of expertise for Jeevanandham Rajagopal. R Chandrasekaran's key legal specialisms include PPP projects and EPC models of infrastructure investments.
Other key lawyers:
CSB Bank Limited
Karaikal Port Private Limited
Jones Lang LaSalle
Krishna Skyway InfraProjects Private Limited
Vizag Seaport Private Limited
Indian Wind Turbine Manufacturers Association
Regen Powertech Private Limited
Nordex India Private Limited
Cleanmax Solar Private Limited
Leapgreen Energy Private Limited
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Power Private Limited
Vestas Wind Technology India Private Limited
- Retained by KARAIKAL PORT PRIVATE LIMITED (KPPL)as legal counsel for the development and operation of an LNG Import and Regasification Terminal at the Port of Karaikal.
- Assisted KRISHNA SKYWAY INFRAPROJECTS PRIVATE LIMITED in the transaction pertaining to Design and Development of Automated People Mover, first of its kind in the country.
- Assisting CSB Bank Limited in various transactions, including the preparation, drafting and vetting of the Loan Agreements to develop SH-77 &SH-72 in Parli Jamsar Behedpadasection, Maharashtra on Hybrid Annuity Model (HAM) under PPP format.
Gagrats acts for Indian and foreign clients in a range of infrastructure projects and energy matters. The team is particularly active assisting privately or publicly-held power companies, but is also adept at advising infrastructure projects, including airports and those pertaining to the telecoms sector. Noteworthy practitioners include Rustam Gagrat and Uma Nagarajan.
Halder & Associates acts predominantly for international clients on their infrastructure and energy projects in India, assisting with bankability issues, the structuring of transactions, and financing agreements. The practice has been increasingly active in the renewable energy space, having recently advised on offshore wind power projects; lawyers are also regularly instructed by multilateral agencies in relation to social infrastructure projects on PPP basis. Department leader Ajoy Halder has a wealth of experience in handling projects in India and across Asia, including railways, airports, highways and ports.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
AR-CH Private Limited
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- Advising Asian Development Bank (ADB) on healthcare PPP projects in India.
- Advised NASSCOM on the implementation of the Government of India skill development program through PPP structure.
- Assisting ABD in all solar projects that it is funding through its $500m commitment in India.
Juris Corp has particular expertise in the project finance space spanning multiple sectors, including railways, roads, manufacturing facilities, mining and power projects. Typical mandates also include advising on the structuring and negotiation of EPC and O&M contracts and PPP models. The department is overseen by three partners: Jayesh H excels in derivative and structured finance deals; banking and finance specialist Nand Anand also has specialist knowledge of power purchase agreements and concessions; Pratish Kumar is a name to note for debt restructuring.
‘Easily accessible, good market knowledge and relations. Updated on regulatory and legal changes.’
JSW Steel Limited
DBS Bank Ltd.
Reliance Industries Limited
Birla Corporation Limited
Deutsche Bank AG
Barclays Bank PLC
State Bank of India
J.C. Flowers Asset Reconstruction Private Limited
InCred Financial Services Limited
- Advised Bank of Baroda, Punjab National Bank, UCO Bank and Union Bank of India on a loan to RCCPL Private Limited, for setting up a greenfield 2.68 MTPA Clinker Plant, 3.88 MTPA Cement Manufacturing Plant and a 51 MW Waste Heat Recovery System and Power Plant at Mukutban, Maharashtra.
- Advised Axis Bank Limited on funding for the operation of its 8×135 MW power plant situated at Bhadresh, Barmer.
- Assisted the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited in its capacity as the facilities agent and other participant lenders thereto in relation to an external commercial borrowing extended to Reliance Industries Limited.
Legacy Law Offices is noted for its longstanding expertise in infrastructure law. The team, which is well equipped to advise on projects in India and abroad, has been involved in the development of a diversity of projects, including railways, transport terminals, roads, ports, social and urban infrastructure. With an impressive track record in PPP and EPC projects, the practice is also active in power generation and transmission mandates. Dual qualified Gagan Anand is experienced at handling project development on PPP basis and public procurement issues, which are also specialist areas of interest for Shalini Munjal.
‘Professional, efficient and personable are a few of the adjectives which can be used for the team of lawyers at Legacy Law Offices. They have the ability to execute their work expeditiously and fairly. The firm excels in the field of Infrastructure Projects and their team of lawyers has supported the successful implementation of more than 300 PPP projects.’
‘Gagan Anand, the managing partner of the law firm, is a delightful and a highly competent personality. His ability to draw reasonable and logical conclusions in deals concerning Infrastructure Projects is highly appreciable.’
‘Legacy Law Offices has a highly skilled and sophisticated team which stands out for its commitment to quality legal work, especially in the area of Infrastructure and Developmental Law. The experience and productivity of the Law Firm in the field of PPP projects is a benchmark.’
‘Gagan Anand is very professional in his dealings and efficient with his work. I have always been very satisfied with the work which his team has been delivering to my company. He has rich and varied experience in domestic as well as international Developmental Projects.’
ANS Constructions Pvt. Ltd.
Ajnala Co-operative Sugar Mills Ltd.
Almondz Global Securities Ltd.
Almondz Global Infra-Consultants Limited
Applied Research International Pvt. Ltd. (ARI)
Batala Co-operative Sugar Mills Ltd.
Ceigall India Ltd.
Darashaw & Co. Pvt. Ltd.
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India LLP (DTTILLP)
Ernst & Young LLP
Grant Thornton India LLP
Gurdaspur Co-operative Sugar Mills Ltd.
Himachal Pradesh Infrastructure Development Board (HPIDB)
International Consultants & Technocrats Pvt. Ltd.
IIFCL Projects Ltd.
Jalandhar Smart City Ltd.
KPMG India Private Limited
Meinhardt Singapore Pte. Ltd.
National High Speed Rail Corporation Ltd.
Panchan Bhang Power
PARY & Co.
Premier Alcobev (P) Ltd.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Private Limited
Punjab Infrastructure Development Board (PIDB)
Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA)
Rohan Rajdeep Tollways Ltd.
Rohan Rajdeep Kerala Road Projects Ltd.
Rohtak-Panipat Tollways Ltd.
SREI Infrastructure Finance Ltd.
State Health Agency, Punjab
STUP Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
Voyants Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Woodhill Infrastructure Ltd.
Xpanz Solar Power
- Provided transactional advice to The Treasury, Kenya Government PPP Unit/ Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) in relation to the Development, Operation, and Maintenance of Nairobi-Nakuru Mau Sumit (A104) Highway on PPP basis (approximate length of 232 km) – under IFPPP of World Bank.
- Advised the Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) in relation to the Pune-Mumbai Hyperloop Project on PPP basis with procurement through Swiss Challenge route.
- Assisted the Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC) in the development/ Redevelopment of 5 (Five) Railway Stations on the Indian Railway Network on PPP basis.
Standing out for its credentials in project finance, Samvad Partners leads advice to a varied client roster, which includes financial institutions, project sponsors and developers, infrastructure funds and private equity players. The team specialises in core infrastructure sectors, ranging from airports, ports and logistics to power and oil& gas, assisting with the drafting and negotiation of project documents and commercial contracts, as well as M&A and PE transactions. Vineetha MG is the key point of contact for project finance and energy transactions. Harish Narasappa handles infrastructure regulatory aspects, while Ekta Bahl is noted for PPP projects.
Other key lawyers:
Axis Bank Limited
Bothe Windfarm Development Private Limited
Continuum Wind Energy (India) Private Limited
Continuum Power Trading (TN) Private Limited
ICICI Bank Limited
India Infradebt Limited
JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A
L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited
L&T Finance Limited
Trinethra Wind and Power Private Limited
Watsun Infrabuild Private Limited
Yes Bank Limited
- Assisted Continuum Power Trading (TN) Private Limited, a subsidiary of Continuum Wind Energy Limited, in respect of a rupee term loan from Power Finance Corporation Limited for the setting up of a 250 MW Wind Power Project at Dayapar in Gujarat.
- Advised JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A, in lending by way of a lease rental discounting facility of INR 461 Crores to Ascendas IT Park (Pune) Private Limited for the refinancing of its existing facilities and for construction of the last phase of its IT park.
- Assisted DJ Energy Private Limited, a subsidiary of CWEIPL, in relation to a rupee term loan from L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (“L&T”) for the refinancing of existing loans availed by DJEPL and for investment in other infrastructure projects of the group.
The projects and energy practice at Singhania & Partners LLP has been particularly active advising on the financing structures of projects in the sectors of renewable energy (with an emphasis on solar power), railways and roads.Typical mandates also cover concession agreements, dispute resolution, bid process management, regulatory and compliance issues. Dipak Rao and Ravi Singhania excel in project finance transactions, while Vikas Goel handles contentious matters. Abhimeet Sinha has extensive experience in energy mandates, especially in the electricity and renewables sectors.
Neyveli Uttar Pradesh Power Limited
Acme Chittorgarh Solar Energy Private Limited
Adani Green Energy Limited
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA)
Sriramcharan Energy and Infra Pvt. Ltd
M/s Talettutayi Solar Projects Five Pvt. Ltd.
Ramesh Hydro Power Private Limited
Antony Lara Renewable Energy Pvt Ltd.
M/s Asian Fab Tec Limited
PNC Delhi Industrial Infra Private Limited
Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited (DFCCIL)
National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL)
Mazars Advisory Private Limited
REC Transmission Projects Company Limited (RECTPCL)
Gujarat Maritime Board
- Acted as Lender’s Legal Counsel to a consortium of lenders comprising of Power Finance Corporation Limited and REC LIMITED for the purpose of drafting the Inter Creditor Agreement and mortgage documents, title verification of the project land and providing legal opinion on the executed documents in regard to the financial assistance availed by Neyveli Uttar Pradesh Power Limited.
- Assisted Adani Renewable (RJ) Ltd. in the development of a solar project of 200 MW in district Jodhpur in the state of Rajasthan.
- Successfully acted for PNC Delhi Industrialinfra Pvt. Ltd. in an arbitration regarding a concession agreement awarded for the rehabilitation, re-development and maintenance of one of the industrial areas in New Delhi.
Sumanto Basu & Associates
Focusing on projects and energy work, boutique firm Sumanto Basu & Associates's core strength lies in the oil & gas sector. The service offering ranges from upstream to downstream project development; areas of particular expertise for the team include LNG sale and purchase agreements, gas pipeline issues, natural gas distribution networks, concessions and joint operating contracts, among others. Founding partner Sumanto Basu advises on the entire spectrum of project development issues, and has a wealth of experience in renewable energy matters.
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
GSPC LNG Limited
Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific Company of Manila
Petronet LNG Limited
AGP CGD India Private Limited
AGP Karaikal LNG Private Limited
- Represented Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific Company of Manila, Inc. before the Supreme Court of India on the appeal filed by the client against the judgment passed by Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL) regarding the development of a natural gas Distribution (CGD) network in certain cities in India.
- Advised Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited on the proposed transfer of its gas business to its subsidiary – Bharat Gas Resources Limited.
- Advised AGP Karaikal LNG Private Limited regarding the granting of rights to undertake the development of an LNG receipt and regasification terminal at the Karaikal Port, Puducherry from Karaikal Port Private Limited (owner and operator of Karaikal Port pursuant to a government concession).