Firms in the Spotlight Projects and energy
ALAYA LEGAL ADVOCATES
Alaya Legal is a law firm founded in 2003 and based in New Delhi with the capability of providing legal services throughout most of India. The founding partners, Divjyot Singh and Suniti Kaur are alumni of the National Law School of India University, Bangalore and have been practicing since 1995. The firm comprises of a …View Profile...
Projects and energy in India
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas is one of the first ports of call for transactions (including acquisitions) in the renewable energy space, in which the practice receives instructions from leading domestic and international lenders, manufacturers and developers. The department has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating project agreements in various infrastructure sectors, including power, airports, oil and gas, ports, roads and railways, and is also adept at advising clients on various forms of concession agreements, as well as cross-border financing structures. L Viswanathan has particular expertise in regulatory aspects of large-scale energy projects, while Santosh Janakiram leads on mandates pertaining to renewable energy, and is involved in bond and structured debt financing. Another key practitioner is Amey Pathak, who is active in the financing of infrastructure projects.
Cyril Shroff; L. Viswanathan; Santosh Janakiram
Other key lawyers:
Ajay Sawhney; Amey Pathak; Subhalakshmi Naskar
‘Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas fields a market leading team, which is technically strong, highly practical and commercially aware.’
‘Santosh Janakiram is highly responsive and gives practical and commercially astute advice.’
State Bank of India
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
International Finance Corporation
Asian Development Bank
L&T Finance Limited
- Acted as Indian legal counsel to a consortium of lenders led by the State Bank of India on the formulation and implementation of a resolution plan (outside the IBC framework) involving the acquisition of SKS Power Generation (Chhattisgarh) Limited and settlement of all obligations of the company with respect to the debt facility extended by the lenders (approximately $826m).
- Advised a consortium of 18 lenders, led by the State Bank of India, on one of the largest transactions (in terms of size of the debt) involving resolution of the stressed power companies outside the insolvency proceedings ($859m).
- Acted as lenders’ counsel for YES Bank Limited (Lender) on the financial assistance of $874m granted by Yes Bank Limited for the financing of India’s first national highway projects developed on a toll, operate and transfer (TOT) basis undertaken by nine SPVs (borrowers) promoted by Macquarie Group.
- Acted for Adani Transmission Limited on its acquisition of the Mumbai Power business of Reliance Infrastructure Limited comprising of the electricity distribution, transmission and generation business ($1.7bn).
- Advised International Finance Corporation, Yes Bank Limited and L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited, as lenders, on the $256m financing granted to Arinsun Clean Energy Private Limited and Mahindra Renewables Private Limited for the purpose of setting up a 500MW (250MW each) ultra-mega solar power project in Rewa, Madhya Pradesh.
With a strong understanding of regulatory issues, Economic Laws Practice provides comprehensive legal services covering all issues from the inception of a project up to financial close, construction and operation. The firm fields a team with multi-disciplinary knowledge which is able to offer its expertise in transaction and investment structuring coupled with a deep understanding of project documentation. The practice stands out for its experience in acting as foreign counsel to multinational clients in other jurisdictions, as well as for its proven track record handling infrastructure disputes. The team's advice spans all sectors of projects, energy and infrastructure, with a recent foray into the field of nuclear energy. Sujjain Talwar has extensive experience in private sector participation initiatives concerning infrastructure projects in India and abroad. Joint ventures and private equity transactions in the infrastructure and hospitality space are some of Aakanksha Joshi's areas of expertise.
Sujjain Talwar; Aakanksha Joshi; Babu Sivaprakasam; Naresh Thacker; Ashish Prasad
SAMHI Hotels Private Limited
BLA Power Private Limited
Turner Project Management India Private Limited
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited
Dubai Ports World
Welspun Enterprises Limited
Stellar Value Chain Private Limited
Fomento Resorts and Hospitality
Island Star Mall Developers Private Limited
Chips Health Limited
Exide Industries Limited
Integrated Mumbai Business Park (India) Private Limited
Hindustan Ports Private Limited
Doit Smart Infrastructure (India) Private Limited
- Assisted Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund and Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund II with their investments in the healthcare/hospital space in India; work involved conducting a due diligence exercise on the target companies (Apex Hospitals Private Limited) and negotiating transaction documents.
- Advised Exide Industries Limited on its investment of up to 30% of the total equity share capital of CSE Solar Sunpark Haryana Private Limited (“Cleantech”), which would be used by Cleantech for setting up captive solar power projects.
- Advising Hindustan Infralog Limited (a joint venture of Dubai Ports World and NIIF) on reviewing the request for qualification cum proposal for the selection of a co-developer for development, operation and maintenance of processing zone/free trade warehousing zone at the Special Economic Zone at the Jawaharlal Nehru Port.
- Advising INKEL Limited, as minority shareholder in Calicut Express Private Limited, on the latter’s entry into a concession agreement with the National Highways Authority of India on the construction, operation and maintenance of the National Highway No. 66 in the State of Kerala on a hybrid annuity or design, build, operate and transfer basis.
- Assisting Chips Health Limited, a Cayman Islands entity, with its 53.42% acquisition of fully diluted shares in the target by way of share subscription, which included conducting due diligence on the target companies (i.e. Empowerm Mobility Solutions Private Limited) and its subsidiaries.
HSA Advocates fields a well-established practice handling large-scale projects covering roads, airports, ports, oil and gas, conventional as well as renewable energy transactions. The firm is noted for its experience in the project finance and PPP market in India, having also been involved in multiple international projects across Asia, Africa and South America. An area of particular focus is the energy sector (namely renewable energy), evidenced by the strong track record in greenfield power generation projects. Hemant Sahai is a key name for environmental law matters. Soumya Kanti De Mallik's sectoral expertise encompasses nuclear energy, industrial corridors, smart cities and airports. Akshay Malhotra is involved in project development as well as dispute resolution with an emphasis on PPP. The team has recently undergone some changes: key projects' senior partner Anjan Dasgupta departed to DSK Legal, while project finance expert Amit Charan joined from SNG & PARTNERS.
Hemant Sahai; Ramya Hariharan; Soumya Kanti De Mallik; Rachika A Sahay; Amit Charan; Geeta Saha; Harsh Arora
Other key lawyers:
ACME Cleantech Solutions
SB Energy (Softbank Group)
RAVI Renewable Energy and Lighting (India)
Northern Operating Services
CIDCO Limited (Navi Mumbai International Airport Project)
Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways/ National Highways Authority of India
MIHAN Limited/ Maharashtra Airport Development Company Limited
Mumbai Port Trust
Shanghai SIIC Transportation Electric Co., Ltd., China
Arinsun Clean Energy Private Limited, backed by Actis Energy Fund
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Solenergi Power Private Limited, Mauritius (Energy Fund Platform for Actis GP, LLP London)
State General Reserve Fund (SGRF)
- Advising City Industrial Development Corporation Limited on all aspects regarding the Navi Mumbai International Airport project, which is currently the world’s largest greenfield PPP airport.
- Acted as legal counsel to the Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways/ National Highways Authority of India, advising on the drafting and finalisation of the bidding documents including the request for proposal, concession agreement and various project agreements therein, for the award of the first bundle of nine toll national highways on toll-operate-transfer basis.
- Advising Mumbai Port Trust on the potential termination and related aspects of the license agreement for the OCT Project, due to failure of any possible settlement between the Parties.
- Advising the Ministry of Economy and Finance, Kingdom of Cambodia on an O&M arrangement for establishment of rice/paddy warehouse networks as collateral financing arrangements for users in Cambodia ($400m).
- Acted as the legal advisers to the NITI Aayog on preparing the model concession agreement for supply, operation and maintenance of electric buses in urban areas on public private partnership.
J Sagar Associates
With extensive industry knowledge, J Sagar Associates is recognised for working on cutting-edge projects and advising on the development of new model structures and forms of concession in a range of sectors, namely aviation, railways, mining, oil and gas. Apart from assisting clients with investment structures, M&A transactions and joint ventures in the infrastructure space, the team is also adept at advising on project development pertaining to smart cities, municipal infrastructure and telecoms as well as representing clients before regulatory authorities. Amit Kapur focuses on sector-related dispute resolution and transactions, while private equity funding concerning transport, energy and infrastructure is an area of expertise for Venkatesh Raman Prasad. Vishnu Sudarsan leads advice to clients on development, procurement, investment and regulatory issues during the life cycle of any project.
Amit Kapur; Venkatesh Raman Prasad;
Other key lawyers:
Ashish Suman; Vishnu Sudarsan
‘Extremely well qualified and experienced in the infrastructure, regulatory and policy sectors. The firms’s input, whether as individuals or as a team, has been invaluable.’
‘Amit Kapur and Vishnu Sudersan provide extremely efficient and practical advice.’
Airports Authority of India
Indian Oil Corporation
NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam Ltd
Oil India Ltd
Selan Exploration Technology
RATP Dev and Transdev Asia
Cargill India Pvt Ltd
Reliance Communications and Reliance Infratel
Jindal Steel and Power
Hero Future Energies
Orange India Power & AT Group
Pune Metro Region Development Authority
Energy Efficiency Services Ltd
Tata Power Delhi Distribution
BSES Rajdhani Power Pvt Ltd
BSES Yamuna Power Pvt Ltd
Cerner Corporation, USA
Cisco WebEx Cloud Collaboration Technology Group
GigSky India Pvt Ltd
WebEx Communications India
Tata Sky Broadband
Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
- Advising Airports Authority of India on the privatisation of six brownfield airports at Ahmedabad, Guwahati, Jaipur, Lucknow, Mangaluru and Thiruvananthapuram under the new civil aviation policy (approximately $1bn).
- Advised Pune Metropolitan Regional Development Authority, government of Maharashtra, on the private delivery of the first metro rail project in India being developed on a PPP basis under the New Metro Policy 2017 (approximately $1.2bn).
- Advising state governments including government of Gujarat (Industries and Mines Department); government of Maharashtra (Industries, Energy and Labour Department); government of Odisha (Department of Steel & Mines); government of Telangana (Industries & Commerce Department) on first of its kind public electronic auctions of mineral blocks granting mining leases/ composite licences.
- Successfully represented Tata Power Delhi Distribution Power before the Supreme Court of India in defining the roadmap and legal framework of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India in the audit of private entities engaged in public utility services.
- Representing BSES Discoms, before the federal regulator- Central Electricity Regulatory Commission in a matter concerning a recovery of electricity tariff by NTPC Ltd., by considering incorrect values of quality of coal (fuel).
Khaitan & Co.
Khaitan & Co.'s team brings together the firm's expertise in transactions, project and structured financing, bid support and regulatory advisory across mandates in the energy, infrastructure and resources sectors. The practice maintains longstanding relationships with clients operating in the oil and gas sector, while also helping others navigate India's burgeoning renewables and hydro-power energy markets. A key name for ports and airport-related projects, the department advises on the acquisition of equity stakes, as well as infrastructure development. Leading the team is Akhil Bhatnagar, who often advises clients on their overseas acquisitions of natural resources across Africa, Australia and South America, Dibyanshu Sinha and Gahan Singh.
Dibyanshu Sinha; Gahan Singh; Akhil Bhatnagar
Other key lawyers:
Shivanshu Thaplyal; Jhinook Roy
- Advised Total Gaz Electricite Holdings France S.A.S on the sale of a 26% shareholding held by the client in Hazira LNG Private Limited and Hazira Port Private Limited to Shell Gas B.V, resulting in Shell holding 100% shareholding in both companies.
- Advised TNB Topaz Energy Sdn. Bhd. (subsidiary of Tenaga Nasional Berhad) on its investment in GMR Bajoli Holi Hydropower Private Limited, which is engaged in the construction and development of a run-of-river hydro-electric power project, of up to $32m (approx.) by way of subscription to compulsorily convertible debentures and equity shares.
- Advising Torrent group on its investment in several city gas distribution projects in India, assisting with structuring, drafting, negotiation, finalisation and closing of the transaction, followed by developing the gas supply agreements for sale of gas.
- Advised CESC Limited, a conglomerate with investments in power generation, power distribution, retail, business process outsourcing, information technology, real estate and entertainment, on a proposed restructuring through a composite scheme of arrangement.
- Advised CESC Limited on its appointment as a distribution franchisee of Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited post award of letter of intent, for the distribution and supply of electricity in Malegaon Urban I, II & III sub-divisions and five villages of Malegaon Rural Sub-Division under Malegaon Circle.
L&L Partners Law Offices advises the full range of stakeholders on major infrastructure projects. The team assists with the review, tender and preparation of bid documentation for project development, foreign direct investment, external commercial borrowing relating to the financing of projects, as well as regulatory and environmental matters. Dispute resolution pertaining to distressed projects is another core area of activity. Rajiv Luthra has advised on multiple projects related to renewable energy, particularly solar power, while Mohit Saraf is also noted.
Rajiv Luthra; Mohit Saraf
Other key lawyers:
Bikash Jhawar; Avinash Subramanian
- Advising on the implementation of the Hyderabad Metro Rail Project, including assisting with project management-related aspects.
- Advised STOA, a French infrastructure and power investment company, on its potential participation in a windfarm platform joint venture in India including conducting due diligence on the wind projects in India, reviewing, negotiating and finalising the joint venture agreement, and assisting with the signing of the agreement and closing of the initial project.
- Conducted a legal vendor due diligence on the Indian subsidiaries of Fortum, which develop and own solar projects, on the sale of an indirect equity stake in these companies and continued advisory on the same for the investment.
- Advised Cube Highways Pte Limited on its proposed purchase of shareholding held by HCC Constructions and its group entities in Farakka Raiganj Highways Limited, an SPV which owns and operates a national highway based on a concession agreement entered into with National Highway Authority of India.
- Acted for the lenders SBI and Yes Bank Limited on the capex facility and working capital facility granted to Adani Electricity Mumbai Limited (erstwhile REGSL) to refinance the loans of Reliance Infrastructure Limited.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co is at the forefront of project finance and PPP projects. The firm's broad service offering covers power purchase and concession agreements, EPC contracts, security arrangements, and other related legal advisory work in the areas of oil and gas, power, airports, roads, ports and railways. The practice particularly excels in LNG sale and purchase agreements, and also advises on debt reconstruction and restructuring. Practice head Jatin Aneja has extensive experience in infrastructure, project finance and investment across a range of sectors including energy (conventional and renewable). Power projects, namely those relating to power transmission, is an area of special interest for V. R. Neelakantan; while Prashant Sirohi focuses on project finance and Deepto Roy regularly advises on dispute resolution and regulatory issues.
‘The projects team is dedicated, hard working and smart. Deepto is excellent in negotiations and has the ability to effectively put points across and propose solutions which work commercially for both parties.’
‘Deepto is an excellent lawyer and is commercially and solution oriented.’
‘Dnyanraj Desai is smart, hardworking and always available to address last minute issues. His ability to perform under pressure is admirable.’
National Infrastructure and Investment Fund
Canada’s largest pension investment managers
Invenire Energy Private Limited
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
Bharat PetroResources Limited
Brookfield Asset Management
State Bank of India
Indusind Bank Limited
The Indian Hotels Company Limited
- Acted for Invenire Energy Private Limited (a special purpose vehicle of Atyant Capital Management Limited, Atyant Capital India Fund -I and its affiliates) on the acquisition of Tata Petrodyne Limited, which is the oil and gas arm of the TATA group.
- Advised Abu Dhabi National Oil Company on its arrangement with Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Limited for the petroleum reserve based in Mangalore ($400m investment).
- Advised Bharat PetroResources Limited (a wholly owned subsidiary company of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited) on a bid for exploration and production concession of oil and gas in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Advising Brookfield Asset Management Inc., Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P. and other affiliates (collectively “Brookfield”) on the acquisition of the East West Pipeline (a cross-country pipeline between Kakinada in Andhra Pradesh and Bharuch in Gujarat) from East West Pipeline Limited (a Reliance Group company).
- Assisting the State Bank of India (part of a consortium of lenders) with financial assistance granted to JSW Steel Limited for the expansion of the steel-making capacity of the plant located at Dolvi Works, District Raigad, Maharashtra from 5 MTPA capacity to a capacity of up to 10 MTPA capacity.
Trilegal is regularly involved in some of the most innovative and complex energy and infrastructure projects, with extensive experience cutting across sectors, including oil and gas, renewable and conventional energy, nuclear power as well as urban infrastructure, transport and water and waste management. Private sector clients, multilateral agencies and government entities seek the practice's advice on the development of clean-tech projects at all stages, including pumped hydro energy storage, electric vehicles and hyperloop. Department head Akshay Jaitly is an active contributor to the policy debate on sector-related issues, particularly in the area of renewable energy. Project development and financing matters are typical mandates for Saurabh Bhasin.
Other key lawyers:
Saurabh Bhasin; Neeraj Menon; Nayantara Nag; Amar Narula
International Finance Corporation
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Sembcorp Energy India
- Advised IFC and the government of the Republic of Fiji on the upgrade, development, operation and maintenance of Lautoka and Ba Hospitals situated in Fiji on a PPP basis.
- Advised CLP Group on the sale of its 40% stake in CLP India Private Limited and entry into a strategic partnership with Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec’s, which is one of the largest strategic investments in the Indian power sector.
- Advised on the sale of Ostro Energy, Actis’ renewable energy business in India, to Renew Energy, which created India’s largest renewable energy company.
- Acted for Engie on its joint venture with Stoa Infra and Energy for the implementation of a platform to develop wind projects in India.
- Assisted Leclanché S.A., one of the world’s leading energy storage solution companies, headquartered in Switzerland, with forming a joint venture with Exide Industries Limited, India’s largest manufacturers of lead acid storage batteries and power storage solutions providers.
AZB & Partners advises on the entire life cycle of projects from bidding to financing, development and operation, drawing upon the firm's strength in dispute resolution, funds and capital markets. The practice has wide-ranging experience in handling high-profile green and brownfield projects, including those relating to power generation and transmission, renewable energy, mining and waste management, as well as urban infrastructure. Leading project finance lawyer Bahram Vakil jointly heads the department, which also assists with the setting up of Special Economic Zones and LNG projects. Swathy Pisharody's areas of expertise include infrastructure and project financing. Gautam Saha is also noted. Corporate and infrastructure partner Aditya Periwal joined from L&L Partners Law Offices and Qais Jamal has been promoted to partner.
Bahram Vakil; Prashanth Sabeshan; Gautam Saha
‘The team is responsive, thorough and very good at explaining Indian law issues.’
‘The firm has excellent lawyers. Their responsiveness and clarity is highly valued.’
‘Lawyers are very knowledgeable and always available.’
Ascendas Singbridge & Sembcorp Development Group
Asian Development Bank
ORIX Corporation (ORIX)
Asia Climate Partners General Partner Ltd; and AEP Investments (Mauritius) Limited (a group entity of Olympus Capital Asia)
Cube Highways and Infrastructure Pte. Ltd
Resurgent Power Ventures Pte. Ltd
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
DP World Limited
General Electric Company
Fairfax, through FIH Mauritius Investments Limited
MAIF Investments India 3 Pte. Ltd.
VTB Capital Plc & VTB Bank
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
DP World Limited
- Assisted with the drafting and negotiation of the concession and development agreement and the shareholders’ agreement, along with ancillary documents in relation to one of the first PPP projects through a Swiss challenge bidding route on this scale to develop a greenfield capital city in India.
- Advised Asian Development Bank on regulatory matters and structuring of its proposed financing to the Indian Railways Finance Corporation (by way of an external commercial borrowing) for the project of the Ministry of Railways for the electrification of existing railway tracks spread across 13 states in India.
- Advised Orix in its capacity as a shareholder of Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services (IL&FS) as well as subsidiaries of IL&FS operating wind power projects, on the potential insolvency situation of the IL&FS Group.
- Advised Asia Climate Partners General Partner Ltd and Olympus on selling their consolidated stake of 36.95% in Skeiron Renewable Energy Private Limited to Wind Power Projects (Mauritius) Limited.
- Advised VTB Capital Plc & VTB Bank on a structured finance transaction of $1.75bn to certain offshore Essar Group entities, which have various assets across the core sectors of energy, infrastructure, metals and mining.
With particular prominence in the transport logistics sector, Bharucha & Partners focuses on infrastructure projects, covering ports, railways and roads, among other areas. Alka Bharucha has significant experience in the power sector. Co-head Justin Bharucha specialises in financing structures for projects pertaining to the energy sector, namely wind power.
Alka Bharucha; Justin Bharucha
Other key lawyers:
Kaushik Moitra; Sonam Gupta;
Fortum Finsurya Energy Private Limited
Adani Green Energy Limited
Orient Green Power Company Limited
Orange Renewable Private Limited
Kalpataru Power Transmission Ltd
Vestas Wind Technology India Private Limited
JM Baxi Group
- Advised MAIF 2 Investments India 2 Pte. Ltd. (in consortium with Ashoka Buildcon Limited (O&M Partner)) on being granted the concession for the first toll operate transfer project of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), comprising of a bundle of nine National Highways across Gujarat, Orissa and Andhra Pradesh ($1.5bn).
- Advised Vodafone Idea Limited (then Idea Cellular Limited) and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Aditya Birla Telecom Limited, on the proposed merger of Indus Towers Limited (Indus) with Bharti Infratel Limited.
- Advised MAIF Investments India Pte Ltd on its acquisition of two operational plants generating solar power in Telangana from Canadian Solar and its affiliates.
- Representing Fortum Finsurya Energy Private Limited before the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity in an appeal filed by the client against an order of the Madhya Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission, in respect of tariff charges for import of power.
- Representing Orient Green Power Company Limited before the Delhi High Court in a dispute concerning power supplied under the open access regulations in India.
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors acts for clients in the private and public sector on all phases of projects, including regulatory issues, risk management, bidding, financing, engineering and construction. The practice is regularly instructed to handle projects within the energy, oil and gas, mining, ports, roads and urban infrastructure sectors. Sector-related contentious matters also feature on the firm's caseload, for which co-head Shrikant Hathi is noted, particularly for commercial litigation and international arbitration. Uttam Hathi is another name to note.
Shrikant Hathi; Uttam Hathi
‘Uttam Hathi and Pritish Das and other lawyers have extensive experience and are prompt in responding. More importantly they advise to the point, they show us the road map in advance, indicating the options available and guiding us as to how we should take our business forward.’
‘The entire team has got really good business sense.’
‘The team does a lot of background research work, understands the case, the technicalities, and advises clients on the strengths and weaknesses of cases and arbitration proceedings.’
‘Shrikant Hathi is really great at oil, gas and engineering project and shipping work.’
‘The team’s industry knowledge is outstanding.’
Lakshmi Machine Works
TPSC (India) Private Limited
IFFCO Tokio General Insurance
Ford Motor Company
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE)
Kolkata Port Trust
Avvashya CC Logistics Pvt Ltd
Swan LNG and Swan Energy
Ujaas Energy Ltd
Techno Electric Engineering
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ)
Madhucon Projects Ltd
- Assisting NTPC with the 100MW solar project at Dondaicha Solar Park in Maharashtra under EPC model and advising on other solar energy projects across the country including the proposed acquisition of Barauni thermal plant to enable NTPC to have a 100% stake in Nabinagar and Kanti JV projects.
- Advising Lakshmi Machine Works, a manufacturer of textiles and CNC Machine tools, on the setting up of a wholly owned subsidiary in Singapore and Dubai.
- Advising Swan LNG and Swan Energy, on the construction of an LNG terminal with ancillary structures for its floating storage and re-gasification unit (FSRU) project at Jafrabad, in the state of Gujarat.
- Assisting TPSC (India) Private Limited, a subsidiary of Toshiba Plant Systems & Services Corporation, (Toshiba Group Company) with turbine-driven equipment installation agreements for 11 projects comprising of 22 turbines in India and Nepal.
- Advising Hiranandani Energy on jetty construction for the floating storage and re-gasification unit (FSRU) project at Jaigarh port in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
DSK Legal advises on tender documentation, bids, consortium arrangements, EPC contracts and concessions. The projects, energy and infrastructure department also has experience acting in sector-related disputes and regulatory matters. Other areas of expertise include climate change projects, such as energy trading schemes as well as required licenses and permissions, namely trading of Renewable Energy Certificates. Ajay Shaw, who acts for private companies and governmental entities, jointly heads the team with Anjan Dasgupta, who joined from HSA Advocates in April 2019. Dasgupta is involved in every aspect of the development, financing, construction, operation and acquisition of capital-intensive projects and facilities around Asia, the Middle East and Africa; he has wide-ranging expertise in the infrastructure and energy sectors. The practice was further strengthened by the arrival of Avinash Kumar Khard from HSA Advocates, renewable energy projects' expert Anuja Tiwari who joined from Trilegal, and Dinesh Pardasani who joined from Link Legal - India Law Services.
Anjan Dasgupta; Ajay Shaw; Anuja Tiwari
Other key lawyers:
Ravi Prakash; Avinash Kumar Khard; Ashish Pahariya; Samir Malik
‘The team is very responsive and proactive. A team you can definitely trust for any deal in India.’
‘Anjan Dasgupta is one of the best lawyers I have found when working abroad.’
‘Mr. Anjan Dasgupta is one of the most well-known infrastructure projects lawyers. He is an expert in resolving issues instantly.’
Ministry of Railways, Government of India
Ministry of Power, Government of India
Public Works Department, Government of Maharashtra
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
PSA International, Singapore
GAIL India Limited
Indian Oil Corporation
NITI Aayog (erstwhile Planning Commission of India)
First Solar India
Alstom India Private Limited
National Highway Authority of India
National Thermal Power Corporation
City & Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra Limited
Maharashtra Airport Development Company Limited
Mumbai Port Trust
Compañía Española de Financiación del Desarrollo S.A. (“Cofides”)
National Investment and Infrastructure Fund Limited (NIIF)
State Bank of India
- Assisting the Ministry of Railways, Government of India and RITES Limited with the contract administration of the procurement-cum-maintenance agreement executed with Madhepura Electric Locomotive Private Limited, which is an SPV floated by Alstom Manufacturing India Limited, for the setting up of an electric locomotive factory in Madhepura, Bihar, India.
- Acting as consultants to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and RITES Limited on the tender for leasing of rolling stock on Delhi Metro’s green line.
- Assisting Sail with floating a tender for selection of a private partner to manage its townships across various states in India.
- Advising City & Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra Limited on the construction and development of the Navi Mumbai International Airport Project.
- Advising Pune IT City Metro Rail Limited on implementing the Pune Metro Rail Line – III of the Metro Rail Project on a PPP basis.
Fielding a strong reputation for M&A and investment related matters in the energy, infrastructure and natural resource sector, IndusLaw also assists with cross-border and regional projects, including development and bid advisory. The practice has particular experience preparing and negotiating concession, off-take, EPC, O&M and supply agreements. Advising clients on complex financing arrangements is another strength for the department, where Avirup Nag stands out for his involvement in an array of deals in the power, transport, oil and gas sectors. Deepak Chowdhury, Arun Kumar, and Nishant Singh are also noted.
Avirup Nag; Deepak Chowdhury; Arun Kumar; Nishant Singh
British Petroleum (Singapore)
Fotowatio Renewable Ventures (FRV)
Agritrade Resources Ltd.
Vedanta (Cairn Energy)
Suzlon Energy Limited
ABB India Limited
India Power Corporation Limited
- Advised ReNew Power Limited on all aspects of the development of a 300MW wind power project in Ghadsisa, Gujarat.
- Advised Enel Green Power’s Indian subsidiary, BLP Energy Private Limited, on the development of a 285MW wind power project in Gujarat.
- Advised Canadian Solar, one of the leading players in the solar power sector, on the sale of its entire equity stake in Amun Solarfarms Private Limited and Avighna Solarfarms Private Limited.
- Advised Engie, the global energy services group , on the acquisition of a 90% equity stake in in Simpa Energy India Private Limited and 100% equity in Simpa Solar Home Systems India Private Limited, which sell solar power systems on financing and/or lease arrangements.
- Advised Evergreen Power on negotiating and executing split EPC contracts with Suzlon and KP Energy Private Limited for the development of a 31.5MW wind power project in Gujarat.
Kochhar & Co. is renowned for providing comprehensive legal advice on all aspects of large-scale projects, right from the bidding stage to project financing, execution and dispute resolution. The practice predominantly receives instructions from international lenders, contractors as well as public sector entities. Practice head Krishna Vijay Singh regularly acts in complex contentious matters in the domain of infrastructure and energy projects (domestic and overseas), and Avichal Prasad has significant experience in PPP projects.
Krishna Vijay Singh
Other key lawyers:
Link Legal - India Law Services is a one-stop shop for infrastructure projects and is well equipped to provide end-to-end services from the bidding stage, through to contracting, financing, restructuring, regulatory issues and dispute resolution. Fielding a team of specialists across varied sectors, including but not limited to roads, airports, railways, industrial corridors and smart cities, the firm also advises on evolving fields such as ropeways, sports and infrastructure investments trusts. The practice enjoys a longstanding relationship with the Japanese market, with a dedicated desk which advises Japanese companies on their business affairs in India. Atul Sharma, who specialises in the airport sector, is noted for his expertise in transport infrastructure development. Anand Srivastava is also noted. Dinesh Pardasani left the firm to join DSK Legal.
Atul Sharma; Anand Srivastava
Alstom Transport India Ltd
State Bank of India (SBI)
GMR Highways Limited, GMR Energy Limited and GMR Infrastructure Limited
GMR Hyderabad International Airport
Gas Authority of India Limited
Navayuga Engineering Corporation Ltd.
Continental Engineering Corporation Taiwan (CEC)
National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project (NATRiP)
- Advised Mahindra Susten Private Limited on the negotiation of the EPC contract in relation to the first utility scale renewable energy plant in Skaka, the oil capital of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising GAIL, the largest state-owned natural gas processing and distribution company in India, on the bidding for the renewable energy assets of an infrastructure company.
- Advising Global Infrastructure Partners India LLP on all legal and regulatory issues concerning its bids for participating in the privatisation of six brownfield airports in India.
- Advising Rapid MetroRail Gurgaon Limited and Rapid MetroRail Gurgaon South Limited on issues arising out of the concession agreements for the development of a metro link in Gurgaon from Sikanderpur to NH-8 and Sikanderpur to Sector 56 respectively on a design, build, finance, operate and transfer basis.
- Advising the National Industrial Corridor Development & Implementation Trust (NICDIT) on all legal and regulatory aspects relating to airport development in India along with drafting of the shareholders agreement to be executed between AAI, government of Gujarat and NICDIT for the development of a greenfield airport.
Project financing, development work, regulatory advisory, corporate transactional matters and project-related disputes are all typical instructions for the team at Phoenix Legal. The practice advises on the legal aspects of the entire supply chain of crude refined products, gas and LNG, power generation (from wind, hydro, biomass to solar projects), as well as power transmission and distribution. Abhishek Saxena focuses on cross-border deals and projects in diverse sectors including IT, industrial, manufacturing, hospitality and aviation; while Sawant Singh is experienced in project finance. Pranav Srivastava acts for clients in transactions and high-value commercial disputes in relation to infrastructure projects.
Abhishek Saxena; Saket Shukla; Sawant Singh; Manjula Chawla; Vasanth Rajasekaran; Pranav Srivastava; Aditya Bhargava
I Squared Capital
Atlantic Gulf and Pacific Company of Manila
HPCL Shapoorji Energy Pvt. Ltd.
Adient India Private Limited
- Advised I Squared Capital, a private equity firm focusing on global infrastructure investments, on its bid for city gas distribution licenses in India under the 9th round of CGD bidding conducted by the government of India.
- Drafting and negotiating bid documents including RFQ, RFP and EPC contracts for HPCL Shapoorji Energy Pvt. Ltd. concerning the client’s plans to set up the Chhara LNG Terminal with a capacity of 5 MMTPA.
- Assisted Adient India Private Limited with the preparation of an agreement and negotiation of a turnkey project pertaining to the construction of a research and development facility to carry out the business of designing and manufacturing vehicle seats on the said plot of land.
- Advised Atlantic Gulf and Pacific Company of Manila, a large Philippine multinational engaged in the business of setting up and operating LNG terminals and gas distribution networks, on its bid for CGD licenses in India under the ninth round of CGD bidding conducted by the government of India.
The contracts, infrastructure and projects practice at Advaita Legal provides comprehensive advice on PPP projects, bid documentation, contracts as well as concession agreements and financing structures, among others. The firm fields a team of regulatory experts who have long-term experience of a gamut of legal issues in various sub-sectors, including airports, mining, railway, energy, social and urban infrastructure (smart cities, MRTS projects and healthcare). Shailendra Singh has extensively advised on renewable and conventional power projects, while Monali Dutta focuses on transportation, PPP projects, renewables and EPC contracts.
Shailendra Singh; Monali Dutta
Airport Authority of India
Andhra Pradesh Drinking Water Supply Corporation
Andhra Pradesh Mineral Development Corporation
Madhya Pradesh Directorate of Health and Family Services
Indian Ports Rail Corporation Limited
GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited
Andhra Pradesh Airports Development Corporation Limited
Nashik Smart City Corporation
Renew Solar Power Private Limited
Essar Power Corporation of India Limited
GMR Power Corporation of India
Kudgi Transmission Limited
Madhya Pradesh Power Management Company Limited
- Advised Airport Authority of India and Ministry of Civil Aviation on the transaction structure for greenfield airports under the new initiative of ‘NextGen Airports for Bharat Nirman’ (NABH Nirman).
- Assisted Gwalior Smart City Development Corporation Limited with the preparation of bid documents for projects ranging from infrastructure works to implementing a one-of-its-kind bus network in the city of Gwalior.
- Advised Inland Waterways Authority of India on the bid processes for developing the asset management and operation framework of the Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hooghly river system.
- Representing GMR Power before the Supreme Court in an energy dispute, which is one of the first cases where damages have been awarded against Tangedco (a distribution licensee) and in favour of a private generator.
- Assisted Indian Port Rail Corporation Limited with the acquisition of an equity stake in the Barithengarh-Ratnagiri Chord Line project.
The projects and energy practice at Advaya Legal assists with the preparation of concession agreements, EPC contracts, joint bidding agreements and advises on project structuring and financing, as well as regulatory aspects. Department head Ramesh Vaidyanathan is an experienced corporate lawyer, who is also proficient in handling complex mandates in sectors including airports, railways, power and telecoms.
Dhir & Dhir Associates provides commercial advice on contract negotiations, and assists clients with regulatory issues and attendant documentation, namely concession and development agreements, EPC contracts and power purchase agreements, among others. The team is also adept at advising on project structuring and financing as well as assisting with the bidding process and in the setting up of joint ventures and infrastructure funds. Co-head Girish Rawat specialises in project finance, which is also an area of expertise for Guranpreet Sarna. Siva Gopinatham left the firm in October 2018.
Alok Dhir; Girish Rawat
Other key lawyers:
‘The individual lawyers are always available to provide timely updates, answer queries, and provide closure oriented solutions.’
National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO)
AMP Solar Private Limited
GRT Jewellers India Private Limited
INR Energy Ventures
L&T Finance Company
Fortum India Private Limited
Xander Finance Private Limited
ACME Group of Companies
- Advised National Aluminium Company Limited on acquisition/ setting up and construction of wind farm projects with total capacity of 25MW across various locations in the state of Tamil Nadu, which included due diligence on land parcels.
- Assisted AMP Solar on matters pertaining to the acquisition of land for the construction of a solar power project at various locations in the state of Rajasthan.
- Acted for Solar Pack on conducting land due diligence and advising on the setting up and construction of 95MW solar power project at different locations undertaken by separate SPVs across various locations in the state of Karnataka.
- Advising GRT Jewellers (India) Private Limited on the composite supply of a solar power-generating system, along with the general conditions and schedules for setting up and construction of various solar power projects.
- Assisted INR Energy Ventures, which is proposing to set up and construct a 45MW solar PV-based power plant in Karnataka, with the acquisition of Belgaun Solar Power Private Limited and Mamadapur Solar Pvt. Ltd (group companies of Rays Power India Private Limited).
Dua Associates handles matters related to power, oil and natural gas, non-conventional sources of energy, mining and telecoms projects, handling transactions, development and litigation. In the energy sector, the team is adept at advising on the establishment and management of power generation, distribution and transmission projects; the practice also has particular strength handling restructuring matters and development of airports.
Gagrats receives instructions from domestic and overseas power companies and state-owned electricity boards on a range of matters, including IPPs, co-generation projects, standby power purchase agreements, wind power and more recently nuclear power projects. On the infrastructure side, the practice has particular expertise in special economic zones, airport, telecoms and MRO facilities. Rustam Gagrat has extensive experience in power purchase agreements and aviation-related projects, which is also an area of core activity for Uma Nagarajan.
Rustam Gagrat; Haseena Tapia Shahpurwalla; Krunal Gadhia; Rajnni Kuttyy; Uma Nagarajan; Arpana Dhariwal
Boutique law firm Halder & Associates is regularly retained by developers, multilaterals and governments to assist with infrastructure projects across Asia and Africa. Ajoy Halder leads the team which has expertise in conventional and renewable energy transactions, namely solar power, advising on bidding processes, land acquisition, PPP, EPC as well as mergers and acquisitions. Other areas of activity for the department include project finance and project development in the oil and gas sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team knows the industry well and is capable of handling a complex deal in an efficient way.’
‘They are straightforward with their opinions and advice so that the client will be able to make a quick commercial decision.’
International Financing Corporation (IFC)
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI)
- Acted for IFC on the development of the $1.4bn Clark International Airport on a PPP basis; work involved assisting with structuring of the project, bankability analysis, drafting of the transaction documents (including EPC and O&M concession agreement) and bid advisory.
- Advising ABD on all rooftop solar projects that it is funding (debt) through its $500m commitment in India.
- Advising on the development of 1600MW thermal power project to be jointly developed by SEPCOIII in India with Adani.
- Advising Nasscom on an online skill development programme on a PPP basis, including on the structuring of the transaction, documentation and regulatory aspects of the transaction.
- Assisting Kerala State Electricity Regulatory Commission (through ADB) with 20MW rooftop solar projects in Kerala, including regulatory advice, structuring of the transaction, bankability issues and drafting of the bid documents.
With significant expertise in the project finance sphere, Juris Corp is also well equipped to advise on project documentation pertaining to various sectors, including power (wind, solar, thermal and hydro), railways, ports/airports, steel, mining as well as oil and gas. The practice is jointly headed by Jayesh H, Nand Anand, who is experienced in cross-border financing requirements, and Pratish Kumar, whose specialisms include all types of debt transactions.
Jayesh H; Nand Anand; Pratish Kumar
Majmudar & Partners
The projects, energy and infrastructure practice at Majmudar & Partners is experienced across greenfield and brownfield projects, project finance as well as EPC contracts and concession agreements. The team also undertakes advisory and regulatory work in sectors including oil and gas, ports, roads and renewable energy. Managing partner Akil Hirani oversees the department, which also includes M&A and restructuring expert Rukshad Davar.
Other key lawyers:
Elementis Holdings Limited
Givaudan (India) Private Limited
Schlumberger Solutions Private Limited
- Advised Elementis Holdings Limited on its EPCM contract concerning a new greenfield factory in India; work included assisting with the deal structure, tax and contract law matters.
- Advising Givaudan (India) Private Limited on the establishment of a large manufacturing plant in Pune, Maharashtra, including assisting with preparing various contracts, including a manpower hiring contract, a consultancy services agreement and a project management services agreement.
- Advising Schlumberger on its Indian operations.
Led by Shardul Thacker, the projects and energy team at Mulla & Mulla & Craigie Blunt & Caroe acts for local and foreign clients. It handles PPP projects, contracts, investments, licensing, development as well as dispute resolution. Particular areas of expertise include LNG and oil and gas matters.
Samvad Partners has in-depth knowledge of infrastructure transactions and extensive experience in an array of sectors, namely power (solar, thermal, wind and nuclear), oil and gas, telecoms, roads, airports, railways and ports. It assists with project financing matters, including secured and unsecured transactions, and is also well versed in offering cost-effective solutions for a range of contentious issues, including those arising from shareholder, partnership, construction and infrastructure disputes. Project and corporate finance expert Vineetha MG is based in Mumbai and jointly leads the practice with Harish Narasappa, who works out of the Bangalore office, advising on cross-border transactions and infrastructure regulatory issues. The practice was further strengthened by the arrival of Srabonee Roy, who joined in April 2019.
Vineetha MG; Harish Narasappa
Other key lawyers:
Aparna Ravi; Khyati Sanghvi; Juhi Mehta; Mandavi Singh; Sitara Pillai
Axis Bank Limited
Bothe Windfarm Development Private Limited
Continuum Wind Energy (India) Private Limited
GIC Pte Ltd
HDFC Bank Limited
ICICI Bank Limited
IndusInd Bank Limited
India Infradebt Limited
India Resurgence Fund
IndoStar Capital Finance Pvt. Ltd.
L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited
L&T Finance Holdings Limited
L&T Finance Limited
Morgan Stanley Infrastructure
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (India) Private Limited
Piramal Finance Limited
Samena Capital (SC India Manager Private Limited)
SC India Credit Fund
Swarna Tollway Private Limited
Tata Steel Limited
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Limited
Watsun Infrabuild Private Limited
YES Bank Limited
- Advised YES Bank Limited on part financing ($274m) provided for the development of four road projects in Maharashtra, which have been granted to four special purpose vehicles incorporated jointly by MEP Infrastructure Developers Limited and Longjian Road and Bridge Company Limited.
- Acted for YES Bank Limited and the consortium lenders on credit facilities totalling $388m provided to Warora – Kurnool Transmission Limited (part of the Essel Group).
- Acted for Adani International Container Terminal Private Limited, a joint venture company operating a container terminal, in negotiating all documentation pertaining to an external commercial borrowing facility of $185m from Citibank N.A. and Intessa Bank.
- Advised YES Bank Limited on part financing ($118.368m) a road project in Gujarat, which has been granted to Patel Vadodara-Kim Expressway Private Limited, a special purpose vehicle incorporated by Patel Infrastructure Limited.
- Advised the consortium of YES Bank Limited and L&T Finance Limited, as lenders, on part financing a road project in Chhattisgarh which has been granted to Bilaspur Pathrapali Road Private Limited, a special purpose vehicle incorporated by Adani Enterprises Limited.
Singhania & Partners LLP handles both non-contentious and contentious matters in relation to infrastructure projects. The department proides legal services to private corporations and public entities on PPP projects, tender and pre-bid advisory, risk analysis, operation and maintenance contracts as well as regulatory issues. Dipak Rao draws on over three decades of experience in this industry and is involved in complex infrastructure and project finance transactions, while Abhimeet Sinha's areas of expertise encompass renewable energy and energy lending.
Dipak Rao; Abhimeet Sinha
‘The team at Singhania & Partners possesses good knowledge and sector-wide expertise.’
‘The team is hardworking and committed in each assignment.’
Mazars Advisory Pvt. Ltd.
Power Finance Corporation Limited
Adani Renewable Energy (RJ) Ltd.
Adani Green Energy Ltd.
- Acted for Power Finance Corporation Limited, as the lender, on financial assistance of $51.49m to Acme Rewa Solar Energy Private Limited for the setting up of two solar PV power projects of 100MW (150MWDC): Solar PV Power Project at Bhadla (Phase III) and Solar Park in Jodhpur District, Rajasthan.
- Advised Power Finance Corporation Limited on the financing of $26.67m to Ramesh Hydro Power Private Limited for the construction of two solar PV power projects of 24MW.
- Acted for a consortium of lenders, comprising of Power Finance Corporation Limited and REC Limited, on $131.46m financing for the setting up several villages.
- Assisted a consortium of lenders, comprising of Power Finance Corporation Limited and REC Limited, with drafting the intercreditor agreement and mortgage documents, reviewing the title verification and providing a legal opinion on the executed documents concerning a $1549.38m facility for the execution of a coal-based thermal power station.
- Assisted Mazars Advisory Pvt. Ltd. with the concession agreement and financial closure of the Akkalkot-Solapur Hybrid Annuity Project in the state of Maharashtra.
Sumanto Basu & Associates
Sumanto Basu & Associates acts for governmental entities and private sector companies in the oil and gas sector, handling a range of transactions and providing constitutional, legal, regulatory and policy advice ranging from upstream to downstream project development. With a particular focus on LNG projects, the firm is well equipped to assist with all legal aspects of exploration and production projects in India and overseas. Practice head Sumanto Basu is experienced in conventional electricity and renewable energy project development, as well as financing matters.
Other key lawyers:
Nishita B. Malik; Ipshita Ahuja
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
GSPC LNG Limited
- Advising Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited on its proposed transfer of a gas business to Bharat Gas Resources Limited, specifically regarding its existing upstream and downstream LNG/gas-related contracts and city gas distribution authorisations.