Firms in the Spotlight Corporate and M&A
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors
Well established as a leading firm in India, Brus Chambers attracts instructions in M&A transactions’, Corporate bankruptcy and the entire gamut of corporate work and is described as ‘best in class’. Uttam Hathi specialises in corporate work, corporate bankruptcy, regulatory compliances, foreign investment in India, establishment of joint ventures, subsidiaries, mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring …View Profile...
Corporate and M&A in India
M&A, joint ventures and generate corporate are mainstays at AZB & Partners. The team is well-equipped to handle high-value and cross-border transactions and assist with the entire gamut of legal aspects arising from mergers and acquisitions, and commercial agreements, such as exchange control regulations and takeover code issues. Corporate restructuring is another key area of activity for the practice. Managing partner Zia Mody has a wealth for experience of advising on foreign direct investment and compliance issues, while Ajay Bahl is noted for his expertise in tax law and restructuring transactions. Ashwath Rau ,who is often retained by investment funds and asset managers, focuses on M&A and private equity deals. Gautam Saha is experienced at handling transactional matters involving players from the telecoms, financial services and energy sectors.
Larsen & Toubro
The Walt Disney Company and Twenty–First Century Fox
Reliance Industries and entities owned by its promoters, namely, Reliance Industries Holding Reliance Industrial Investments and Holdings, East West, Pipeline Infrastructure
Tata Consultancy Services
Total Holdings S.A.S.
Brookfield Asset Management
Resurgent Power Ventures
KKR & Co Inc.
Qatar Holding LLC
DLF Cyber City Developers, a JV between DLF and GIC Singapore
Star Health Investments and some of its shareholders
ECP III Ventures Pte. Ltd
Uber India Systems
DFM Foods Limited, and The Delhi Flour Mills Company Limited
Société De Promotion Et De Participation Pour La Coopération Economique
Bharti Airtel Limited
Bharti Infratel Limited
Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
Bajaj Auto Limited
- Advised RIL and JPL on 11 separate fundraising transactions by which an aggregate consideration of INR 115693.95 Crores was raised from leading global technology investors.
- Advised Total S.A. on the acquisition of 50% equity stake and certain non-convertible debentures in a joint venture company to which Adani Green Energy Limited transferred its eleven 100% owned subsidiaries pursuant to the transaction.
- Advised Amazon on its 49% acquisition in Future Coupons, comprising both, voting and non– voting shares of Future Coupons.
One of the first ports of call for domestic and foreign companies undertaking M&A in India, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas is regularly involved in high stakes transactional work in highly regulated industries. The team further brings together expertise in corporate governance and distressed assets M&A, catering legal services to a client roster operating in a variety of sectors, including financial services, technology, energy, infrastructure and pharmaceuticals. Managing partner Cyril Shroff has more than three decades' experience in this field. Reeba Chacko and Nivedita Rao lead on corporate law issues, while mergers and acquisitions work is overseen by Akila Agrawal.
The Adani Group
The Coca-Cola Group
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co Ltd
The Piramal Group
Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Acting as legal counsel to Bank of Baroda in the proposed amalgamation of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank with Bank of Baroda.
- Assisted APSEZ when it entered into definitive documents with an intent to acquire a 75% stake in the Krishnapatnam Ports Company Limited from the promoter family members and other shareholders.
- Acted as the legal counsel to JSW Energy in the execution of a share purchase agreement with GMR Energy Limited (GEL) and GMR Kamalanga Energy Limited to acquire 100% of the equity share capital of the Company.
With great geographical reach, the corporate team at IndusLaw is engaged by buyers and sellers in relation to M&A transactions in a diversity of industry sectors. Joint ventures, corporate restructuring, and private equity deals are all areas of specialist interest for Suneeth Katarki. Dual-qualified Nishant Singh, who is admitted to practice in India and New York, is a solid performer in transactions involving multiple jurisdictions. Furthermore, Avimukt Dar is a name to note for commercial and corporate disputes, as well as exit strategies. The practice was strengthened by the arrival of Manish Gupta from Link Legal - India Law Services, who brings to the team a strong background in venture capital transactions.
Avimukt Dar; Gaurav Dani; Kartik Ganapathy; Srinivas Katta; Suneeth Katarki; Nishant Singh; Saurav Kumar; Pallavi Kanakagiri; Winnie Shekhar; Anindya Ghosh; Basava Rao; Anubha Sital; Divya Varghese; Jinni Sinha; Manish Gupta; Rashi Saraf; Revathy Muralidharan; Harman Walia; Mayukh Datta
‘The team at IndusLaw take time out to understand the practical needs of their clients and successfully balance legal and commercial requirements to offer viable solutions for work that is often cutting edge in nature.’
‘Suneeth Katarki is a great listener. I enjoy hearing his holistic vision for the firm and I believe that he is on a path to truly enable his team.’
‘Nishant Singh has a great mix of local and international acumen with some very unique expertise in the Indian market.’
Pine Labs Pte. Ltd.
Juniten Pte. Ltd.
Brainbees Solutions Private Limited (FirstCry)
Kontoor Brands India Private Limited
42Hertz Software India Private Limited, 42Hertz, Inc.
Sorting Hat Technologies Private Limited (Unacademy)
Netlink Software Private Limited
Clues Network Private Limited (ShopClues)
Sunnynook Limited AG
SKS Power Generation (Chhattisgarh) Limited
Lexington Equity Holdings Limited
Indo Star Capital
- Represented Pine Labs, one of Asia’s leading merchant commerce platforms, in relation to its collaboration with Mastercard.
- Advised FirstCry in relation to its acquisition of part of business of People Combine Play School Initiatives Private Limited (“Oi”) which included content and publishing material for pre-school education, teacher training, school management etc.
- Acted for Clues Network Private Limited (ShopClues) in the merger w with Q10 America.
J Sagar Associates
J Sagar Associates handles the full array of M&A transactions in a variety of sectors. The team attracts instructions from Indian entities and multinational corporations in relation to the sale and purchase of distressed assets, tender offers, leveraged buyouts, amalgamations, and divestments. The department is led by Sajai Singh, who excels in cross-border transactions, and Shivpriya Nanda, who focuses on M&A, restructuring, and general corporate law, having advised clients from the mining, aviation, real estate, and defence sectors. Inbound and outbound investments are key areas of activity for Sandeep Mehta. Sidharrth Shankar combines in-depth knowledge of commercial agreements with private equity deals in India.
‘The team is thorough with their research and advice. Lawyers provide practical solutions that help in business continuity.’
‘This is a stellar team providing outstanding support.’
‘JSA has a very strong practice and excellent people at all levels.’
‘Sandeep Mehta is first-rate. He is always available and marshals his team efficiently so that response times are excellent. He is good at cutting through the complexity that always comes with transactions in India.’
Government of India
Baring Private Equity Asia
The Hain Celestial Group
Indiabulls Real Estate Limited (IBREL)
Ford Motor Company (“Ford”)
Air Water Inc., Japan (“AWI”)
Amazon Asia-Pacific Resources Pte. Ltd
APG Strategic Real Estate Pool N.V. (APG)
PayU Global B.V.
WebMD Health Corp. (“WebMD”)
PI Industries Limited
Joyson Safety Systems
MCH Swiss Exhibition (Basel) Limited
Metarain Distributors Private Limited (Myra)
- Assisted PepsiCo India Holdings Private Limited in relation to sale of its entire company-owned bottling operations for its carbonated drinks business in seven States and five Union Territories in Western & Southern India region to Varun Beverages Limited , PepsiCo’s largest bottler in India and the flagship company of the R. K. Jaipuria Group.
- Advised the Government of India acting through the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management and the Ministry of Power, in relation to the sale of its entire 52.63% shareholding in REC Limited to Power Finance Corporation Limited.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its $700m acquisition of IT and ITES provider NIIT Technologies from NIIT Limited and its founders.
Khaitan & Co LLP offers legal support to publicly listed and unlisted corporate acquirers and targets, investors, private equity firms and funds on the full range of M&A matters, including tender offers, takeovers, buy-outs and corporate restructuring. The team is well versed in inbound and outbound investments, demonstrating sector-specific expertise across insurance, pharmaceuticals, emerging tech and e-commerce. Department head Haigreve Khaitan is experienced in M&A and private equity transactions. Rajat Mukherjee, who has a strong background in cross-border matters, is a key point of contact of the US and Japan desks.
Other key lawyers:
‘Individuals are characterised by optimism, friendliness and the ability to solve problems quickly. I really enjoy working with the practice and thus highly recommend it.’
‘The team is very hands on and very timely with their responses and support. They are also proactive in advising and recommending approaches.’
‘Rajat Mukherjee is an excellent partner. He is proactive, clear, straightforward and pragmatic in his advice. He acts to support in building client relationships, but has good depth of knowledge on M&A too.’
Wabco Holdings Inc.
City Football Group
Laureate Education Inc.
Dalmia Bharat Limited
Flipkart Pvt Ltd
Aditya Birla Group
INOX Leisure Limited
Dhunseri Tea & Industries Limited
CDE Asia Limited
Berger Paints India Limited
WoW Momo Foods Private Limited
- Advised Nippon Life Insurance Company (Nippon) in relation to the acquisition of 75% of the share capital of Reliance Nippon Life Asset Management Limited (RNAM) (increasing its stake from 42.88%).
- Advising Reliance Industries Limited in relation to a proposed joint venture between the Reliance group (51%) and BP Plc group (49%).
- Assisted Usha Martin Limited in the sale of its steel business through a slump sale on a going concern basis along with its coal and iron ore mines to Tata Sponge Iron Limited.
Foreign investments, corporate restructuring, joint ventures, and private equity transactions are core aspects of the M&A and corporate practice at Kochhar & Co., which has led advice on matters pertaining to emerging sectors, including e-commerce, fintech, and renewable energy. The department, which handles acquisitions of listed and unlisted companies, enjoys a strong reputation for securing regulatory approvals and resolving compliance issues arising from major domestic and cross-border transactions. Rohit Kochhar spearheads the team, which also counts with Ajith CR, who routinely advises multinational companies on their India entry strategies and structuring. Suhas Srinivasiah stands out for his experience in cross-border M&A, while Sarika Raichur leads advice to start-ups and venture capital clients.
‘The Kochhar&Co. team has an excellent grasp of the subject matter both from a legal and commercial perspective. They approach the issues relating to the transaction with a view to providing the most effective solutions. The team is always accessible and has excellent communication skills.’
‘Ajith C.R. is an excellent lawyer and extremely hardworking. Lawyers were always accessible and provided several out of the box solutions to issues which arose in the transaction. They were able to provide excellent support so as to drive the transaction to a successful closure.’
‘The firm has a very good reputation and highly experienced partners with specialised domain knowledge in specific verticals like Corporate and M&A. The basic strength of the Firm is that it has very competent and experienced partners who, in addition to other elements, understand the importance of providing legal solutions in a timely manner. The firm maintains the highest quality in its work, which is performed keeping the latest amendments/change of laws into focus. We are very satisfied as to the firm. Rohit Kochhar is the most accessible and dynamic senior lawyer we have ever dealt with in a law firm. He is also very positive and pro-active and can come up with solutions to the most complex problems with ease and clarity of thought.’
‘Their service is exemplary, timely, and in line with global best practices. Mr. Ajith has been exceptional. As we have had to interact at an electronic level for a huge part of this process due to Covid 19 his ability to embrace our needs in a timely fashion demonstrates his incredible people skills which is a core part of our own company’s ethos.’
‘I like their in-depth knowledge on the startup laws in India, and their ability to comprehensively think through all possible scenarios, thereby helping draft tight contracts. I have worked with Sarika, I value her knowledge and sharpness in thinking through various scenarios comprehensively. She is also very empathetic, which helps her clients get confidence that her advice will be a well-rounded, sound one.’
‘I think what makes the Individuals who we work with unique is the level of devotion that they show towards their work and the professionalism that they have towards the client. They take a very hard position when it comes to maximising benefits for the client in every way. And they ensure that they follow this principle even if it goes against the business interest of the legal firm. They take the burden of ensuring that the client is following every legal protocol that would ensure the safety of the company, intellectual property, or the individual’s interest. In fact, they follow up on this with a rigor that the party sometimes does not apply to their own work. There is also an attempt to understand the situational circumstances from which the client is working. And hence there is a deeper commitment to the benefit of the client in the long run.’
‘They are highly aware of the fine print of the law and often do deep and thorough research to find out the best possible solutions for their clients. Sarika Raichur is very thorough and prompt to revert, alongside keeping the best interest of the company in mind.’
‘I think accessibility is one of the first things that come mind to when I recall our experience with Kochhar (KCO). The team was flexible in working with the lawyers and documents from the firms on the other side of the negotiation table and yet didn’t hesitate to push back on areas where they felt that our interests ran a risk of being compromised.’
‘Sarika Raichur was relentless in pushing dialogues that protected our company, unearthing clauses that we had completely missed, and navigating complex multi-stakeholder discussions to get everybody on the same page. There were multiple occasions when she was on official leave but readily made herself accessible to chime in on doubts and discussions that we had during the process.’
‘Working with Kochhar is like an extension of in-house team as they are very strategic, business-focused and provide risk mitigated solutions.’
3M India Limited
Apotex Pharmaceutical Holdings, Inc.
Nuance Communications Group
Vodafone India Services Limited
- Advised AMETEK in the acquisition of Gatan from Roper Technologies, Inc. in an all-cash transaction valued at $928m.
- Engaged by Tenneco Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the shares of Federal- Mogul Goetze (India) Limited (“FMGIL”) – an Indian listed company.
- Acted as counsel to Synergy Property Development Services Private Ltd and its promoters in divestment of stake to Colliers International.
The mergers and acquisitions team at L&L Partners Law Offices has a wealth of experience in undertaking complex transactional work and advising clients on corporate law issues. The department, which acts for buyers and sellers on a multitude of share and asset purchase transactions, has the capability to handle deals concerning private and public-listed companies. Founding partner Rajiv Luthra oversees the team alongside Mohit Saraf, who specialises in M&A and private equity deals. Another core member of the practice is Vaibhav Kakkar, who brings into play thorough knowledge of regulatory issues to advise on foreign investment. Damini Bhalla, who has a thorough understanding of the 'Indian investment environment', is also noteworthy.
‘Strong experienced team, accustomed to working on international transactions.’
‘Damini Bhalla is great to work with, very experienced and is always available. She gives useful advice not just on the specific query but also on the wider Indian investment environment.’
Awfis Space Solutions Private Limited
ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel Corporation
UV Asset Reconstruction Company Limited (“UVARCL”)
Reliance Capital Limited
Ribbon Communications Inc.
IndoStar Capital Finance Limited
Play Games 24×7 Private Limited
- Acted as the lead counsel for ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel Corporation in connection with the acquisition of Essar Steel India Limited.
- Acted for Reliance Capital Limited, a part of the Anil Ambani led Reliance ADAG Group, in connection with the sale of its stake in Reliance Nippon Life Asset Management Limited, the asset management company of mutual fund schemes floated by Reliance-Nippon Mutual Fund.
- Advised II-VI Incorporated in connection with its acquisition of Finisar Corporation, both II-IV and Finisar being US publicly-traded corporations.
Fielding a team of lawyers with dual qualifications and international experience, S&R Associates remains active providing legal assistance to leading Indian corporates and global private equity firms. The broad service offering covers acquisitions of both listed and unlisted companies, joint ventures, takeover offers, as well as leveraged transactions and deals involving distressed assets. Rajat Sethi is proficient in M&A, corporate governance as well as regulatory issues. Sandip Bhagat brings to the table experience in restructuring and insolvency proceedings.
With particular strength in public M&A, Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co is one of the first ports of call for Indian and international clients who seek assistance with complex and oftentimes multi-billion dollar transactions. Drawing upon the firm's full-service capabilities in employment, antitrust, dispute resolution, tax and real estate, the core corporate practice is a one-stop shop for the entire array of corporate and M&A matters. Raghubir Menon stands out for his expertise in public company takeovers; he receives regular instructions from sovereign wealth funds, private equity firms and multinationals. Joint ventures, cross-border investments and corporate restructuring are some of Natashaa Shroff's notable areas of practice.
Other key lawyers:
General Atlantic Singapore Fund Private Limited
GMR Airports Limited
Oriental Structural Engineers Private Limited
Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited
GMR Energy Limited
SBI General Insurance Company Limited
Kora Management LP
Grofers International Private Limited
- Advised Facebook on the acquisition of a minority stake in Jio Platforms limited for $5.7bn through Facebook’s subsidiary Jaadhu Holdings, LLC.
- Acted for General Atlantic Singapore Fund Private Limited in the acquisition of 74.5% of the paid-up share capital of Citiustech healthcare technology Private Limited by Barolo Holdings on a fully diluted basis and consequent exit of GA.
- Assisted with the setting up of Oriental InfraTrust, a private infrastructure investment trust under the SEBI (Infrastructure Investment Trusts) Regulations, 2014.
Full-service firm Trilegal is at the forefront of the Indian market for high-value and cross-border transactions, demonstrating an impressive track record in mergers and acquisitions, exits, private equity deals, and corporate restructuring. Practice co-head Harsh Pais is adept at handling transactions in regulated sectors, such as energy, telecoms and financial services. Fellow co-leader Yogesh Singh excels in strategic M&A as well as private equity deals. Corporate law expert Sridhar Gorthi has advised on inbound and outbound investments. Arjun Ghose, who has a strong M&A, PE and restructuring background, recently joined from Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. Recent arrival from AZB & Partners Harsh Maggon is a solid performer in public M&A.
Government of India and Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM)
Khazanah Nasional Berhad
- Advised the Government of India on its disinvestment of 74.496% stake in THDC India Limited (THDC) and 100% shareholding in North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO) by way of sale to NTPC..
- Assisted Future Group on Amazon.com NV Investment Holdings’ acquisition of a 49 percent stake in Future Coupons Ltd.
- Advised Reliance Industries (RIL) on the restructuring of its media and distribution operations by merging three listed group entities Television 18 Broadcast; Hathway Cable and Datacom; and Den Networks with Network18 Media.
Showcasing extensive experience in cross-border M&A deals, Bharucha & Partners is well equipped to assist with both general corporate law and transactional mandates pertaining to foreign investment, share purchases and joint ventures. Alka Bharucha, who has over three decades of experience in the M&A market, is proficient in the telecoms, banking and power sectors. She leads the team alongside Justin Bharucha, whose legal specialisms include foreign direct investments in highly regulated industries.
Vodafone Idea Limited
Aditya Birla Group
Larsen & Toubro Limited
Mahindra & Mahindra Limited
BAE Systems Plc
Marks & Spencer Plc
Axis Bank Limited
IJM Corporation Berhad
Grover Zampa Vineyards
ISS A/S, Denmark
Shopsense Retail Technologies Private Limited (Fynd)
Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited
Marston (Holdings) Limited, UK
Girnar Software Private Limited
DCB Bank Limited
- Assisting DCB Bank in respect to the acquisition of certain assets of Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC consisting of loans, cash credits, bank guarantees and liabilities such as fixed deposits, current and savings accounts.
- Advising General Motors on its asset purchase agreement for the transfer of certain assets and over 1300 employees from their Bengaluru technical centre to Tata Consulting Service Limited, India’s largest software exporter.
- Advising Capital Small Finance Bank Limited with respect to capital infusion of approximately $18.62 million by way of subscription of equity shares of the bank.
With a significant footprint in the corporate advisory and M&A space, DSK Legal offers support in relation to the structuring and execution of complex transactions, consequent regulatory approvals and governance issues. Private equity investments and venture capital transactions are notable areas of practice for Aparajit Bhattacharya, who is also skilled in corporate restructuring, foreign investments and joint ventures. Aninda Pal leads advice to a diverse client roster operating in sectors, such as infrastructure, energy, e-commerce and pharmaceuticals. Another noteworthy practitioner is Harvinder Singh, who focuses on commercial and corporate matters, as well as capital markets.
Other key lawyers:
‘Practical knowledge on legal principles and 360 degree assessment on business and its legal implication.’
‘Ajay Shaw is a practical lawyer with deep knowledge in corporate laws. Gaurav Mistry is agile and aggressive partner with good drafting skills.’
‘The team has in-depth knowledge and experience of corporate/M&A matters.’
‘I was lucky to have Aninda Pal at my side, not only because he guided me through the complexity of the Indian legal system with ease (focusing on corporate and M&A, but on real estate matters too), but also because he would would work around the client’s needs to find the best practical solution.’
Flipkart Internet Private Limited
ReNew Power Private Limited
SPREF II PTE. LTD.
Berggruen Hotels Private Limited
National Investment and Infrastructure Fund
Container Corporation of India Limited
Ministry of Shipping, Government of India
Eternis Fine Chemicals Limited
SBI Life Insurance Company Limited
ICICI Venture Funds Management Co. Ltd
Hero Electric Vehicles Private Limited
Biofourmis Holdings Pte. Ltd.
PTC India Limited
Korea Investment Partners
SPX Flow Inc (USA)
Planet Holding Limited (UK)
VKL Seasoning Private Limited
S. J. Healthcare Private Limited (Dentzz)
- Advised ReNew Power Private Limited in relation to a joint venture partnership with South Korea based GS E&C.
- Assisted the VKL Seasoning Private Limited and its Promoter, Ajay Mariwala in connection with inter alia the sale of the entire shareholding of True North Fund IV and a small percentage of shareholding of AJM to Firmenich Trading Corporation, resulting in acquisition of majority stake in the Company by Firmenich.
- Representing SPX FLOW INC in relation to global sale of its Power & Energy business by way of either slump sale or sale of majority shareholding of SPX.
Link Legal is particularly active handling M&A transactions in the infrastructure space, but also demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the e-commerce, telecoms and energy sectors. The department is also noted for its experience of assisting with the acquisition of stressed assets. Nusrat Hassan focuses on commercial arrangements and cross-border transactions, while Anuj Trivedi is particularly experienced in foreign investments and joint ventures. Yosham Vardhan's areas of expertise include M&A, divestments, private equity deals as well as strategic exits. The team welcomed Ketan Mukhija, Gaurav Priyadarshi and four other practitioners from P&A Law Offices in February 2021.
‘The team at Link Legal is responsive and reliable. We worked with Yosham Vardhan on an Indian joint venture arrangement. She was efficient and effective. She stuck to her turnaround time and her comments were important and not pedantic. All in all a great experience.’
GAIL (India) Limited
Ramky Infrastructure Limited
Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Limited
Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited
Chennai Port Trust
Dredging Corporation of India Limited
GMR Hyderabad Aerotropolis Limited (GHAL)
AMI Lifesciences Private Limited and its Promoters
Enstage Software Private Limited (based out of Bengaluru) and Infinypool Online Payment Solutions India Private Limited (based out of New Delhi)
Alkem Laboratories Limited
Incredible Technologies Private Limited (“CredR”)
Larsen & Toubro Limited
First Tek Services Private Limited
Mohalla Tech (Sharechat)
Beiqi Foton Motor Co. Ltd
Precious Alloys Private Limited
SHS – Stahl-Holding-Saar GmbH & Co. KGaA
Deepak Fertilizers and Petrochemicals Corporation Limited
Ayana Renewable Power Private Limited
Provenio Capital Advisors Private Limited
Saankhya Labs Private Limited
- Advised Megha Engineering and Infrastructures Limited (through its WOS MEIL Global Holdings BV) on the acquisition by MEIL Group of 100% stake in the Oil&Gas Division of Trevi Group comprising of Drillmec S.p.A (Italy), Petreven S.p.A (Italy) and Drillmec Inc (USA).
- Assisted Den Networks in the acquisition of approximately 66 percent stake by the subsidiaries of Reliance Industries in Den Networks for $327m.
- Advised Chennai Port Trust in respect of its acquisition of Kamarajar Port Limited.
Combining expertise in tax and competition law with M&A capabilities, Majmudar & Partners provides comprehensive services to a variety of clients operating in sectors, such as financial services, pharmaceuticals, technology and manufacturing. With extensive experience advising on public and private M&A, Akil Hirani leads the department with Rukshad Davar, whose transactional expertise covers restructuring matters, and N. Raja Sujith. Kritika Agarwal, who focuses on corporate and competition law, is another key member in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Chart Industries, Inc.
Morneau Shepell Limited
Empaxis Data Management India Private Limited
C&D Technologies, Inc.
Coster Tecnologie Speciali S.p.A
United Retirement Plan Consultants
Pacific Industrial Development Corporation
- Assisted Chart on a large industrial business acquisition as a part of Chart’s global acquisition of the industrial Air-X-Changers business of Harsco Corporation, valued at $592m.
- Acted for Morneau Shepell Limited in a transaction for the termination and re-hire of employees of Mercer Consulting (India) Private Limited as a part of Morneau Shepell’s global acquisition of the stand-alone business of Mercer (US) Inc. and its affiliates in the U.S. for an aggregate purchase price of $57m.
- Assisting C&D Technologies, Inc. on a joint venture exit transaction.
Corporate and commercial law are core areas of practice at Phoenix Legal, which has a strong track record of handling transactions in regulated sectors, including insurance, financial services, pharmaceutical, infrastructure and natural resources. Showcasing experience in inbound and outbound investments, the practice is further skilled at advising on corporate governance, tax structures and regulatory requirements. Manjula Chawla is a seasoned practitioner in strategic corporate transactions involving multiple jurisdictions. Saket Shukla has extensive experience in the insurance sector.
Cooper – Standard
Mitsui & Co.
Dods Group LLC
ARG Outlier Media Asianet News Private Limited
Behavioral Services Holding LLC, USA
BIPS Systems Limited
Reliance ADAG Group
Sanctum Wealth Management Pvt. Ltd.
BOPA Pte. Ltd. (BOPA)
MUGH 2 Limited
Max Healthcare InstituteLimited
- Advised Cooper-Standard, a NYSE listed company, on the process of selling off subsidiary business interests of its Anti – Vibration Systems (AVS) to ContiTech USA, Inc. (a division of Continental AG).
- Acting for the Reliance ADAG Group on divestment of its entire stake in Reliance Broadcast Network Limited (RBNL), a company operating under the brand name BIG FM Radio network, with 58 radio stations across India, to Music Broadcast Limited (a part of the Jagran Group) (MBL).
- Assisted Dell’s data integration branch, Boomi, in acquiring Unifi Software Inc. (a company engaged in providing customers a platform based on cloud technology stack to assist in data discovery, catalog and preparation offerings), for strategic expansion.
The M&A and joint ventures practice at Samvad Partners assists clients throughout the entire cycle of outbound and inbound transactions. With a wealth of cross-sectoral experience, the team has a strong reputation in the areas of healthcare, infrastructure, manufacturing and IT. Mergers and demergers, venture capital deals and corporate governance issues feature on the department's portfolio. Advising foreign corporations on business opportunities in India is a core area of activity for Harish Narasappa. Vineetha MG is a strong performer in domestic and cross-border M&A deals. Ashwini Vittalachar's experience includes strategic investments and corporate restructuring.
‘Samvad has high expertise in M&A and transactional legal matters in the IT industry. Their expertise in M&A should be highly praised, as their output is always consistent and the partners are quick to respond.’
‘Harish Narasappa is an expert in M&A in India and has given dedicated assistance to our project. His quality, and delivery (providing necessary output on time) is excellent. We can count on him responding very quickly with the answers we expect. Furthermore, Harish personally oversees the quality and his associates. Even when the requests are not addressed to him, he understands what is going on and cuts in to follow-up when necessary. This make us feel at ease in letting the firm handle the matter because we are assured that our case is handled with care and is taken care of by the best partner.’
Asian Institute of Gastroenterology
Aujas Networks Private Limited
Delhivery Private Limited
Gildemeister Beteiligungen Gmbh (DMG Mori)
Jio Digital Services Private Limited
Kaycee Industries Limited
Manthan Software Services Private Limited
Megsan Labs Private Limited
NoBroker Technologies Solutions Private Limited
NTT Data Corporation
Pisces Eservices Private Limited
PTAP Delivery Solutions Private Limited
Zomato Media Private Limited
- Advised Zomato Media Private Limited in connection with business acquisition of UberEats by the Client.
- Advised NTT Data Corporation in a majority acquisition of the target company, Atom Technologies Limited.
- Advise d Megsan Labs Private Limited in the sale of 60% shareholding to Tentamus Analytics GmbH.
The M&A team at Vaish Associates is well placed to advise on buyouts, mergers, asset purchases, private equity investments and restructuring issues across a range of regulated sectors. The team's core strength lies in the blend of corporate and tax law expertise, which enables practitioners to assist with the full array of regulatory aspects arising out of transactions. Clients from the banking, technology, power, insurance and pharmaceutical industries regularly seek Bomi Daruwala's legal support. Satwinder Singh is another key practitioner for M&A and corporate law matters.
Aditya Birla Group
Lemon Tree Hotels Limited
Hindustan Unilever Limited
First Solar India Private Limited
Continental India Limited
National Stock Exchange of India Limited
JSW Steel Limited
Jyothy Laboratories Limited
Ultra Tech Cement Limited
Amber Enterprises India Limited
- Advised Lemon Tree Hotels Limited, Warburg Pincus backed BSE listed company, on all aspects relating to its 100% acquisition of Berggruen Hotels Private Limited.
- Assisted Indian Hotels Company Limited (“IHCL”), a TATA Group company, in its framework agreement with Reco Altius Private Limited, a subsidiary of Government of Singapore Investment Corporation, for an investment framework to the tune of about $600m.
- Acted for Hindustan Unilever Limited (“HUL”) which executed an agreement with Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited, wherein HUL has agreed to acquire its intimate hygiene brand ‘VWash’.
Apart from assisting with M&A, joint ventures, management buyouts and foreign direct investment ALMT Legal also provides advice in the commercial contracts sphere and efficient tax structures in the context of corporate transactions. Department head Aliff Fazelbhoy is predominantly retained by multinational corporations in relation to their business endeavors in India. Fellow co-leader S R Arun has considerable experience handling transactional matters involving private equity and venture capital clients.
‘Each team member is well informed and ready to reach out to the client in the absence of the person handling the case.’
‘The Individuals we interact with are knowledgeable and have vast experience. They also keep themselves updated on the new developments in their field.’
Sanghvi Beauty & Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
EdreamsEdusoft Private Limited
Institute of Physics UK and India
Polaris Consulting & ServicesLimited
Virtusa Consulting Services Private Limited
CompanhiaBrasileira de Cartuchos
Taurus Armas S.A.
Karvy Financial Services Limited
- Advised Archroma group in its acquisition of BASF’s stilbene-based optical brightening agents (OBA) business for paper as well as powder detergent application.
- Advised EdreamsEdusoft Private Limited on its sale to a subsidiary of the Reliance group.
- Assisted Compass Group in the acquisition of SmartQ.
Chadha & Co routinely assists international clients looking to enter the Indian market. The team not only undertakes work pertaining to M&A, joint ventures and foreign direct investments, but is also well equipped to advise on regulatory approvals and commercial contracts. Noteworthy practitioners include Rahul Chadha and Namita Chadha.
Clasis Law offers specialised corporate and M&A transactional and advisory services, possessing a strong track record in matters pertaining to joint ventures, divestitures, and acquisitions, incorporation of companies, and regulatory compliance. Vineet Aneja's sectoral expertise covers verticals like telecoms, infrastructure, financial services, and manufacturing. Gaurav Wahie is a seasoned practitioner in M&A and commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘After working with Clasis we never felt that we need to look out for another service provider. Their professionalism, ease of handling, legal knowledge and response time stand out.’
‘Neetika Ahuja and Vineet Aneja are recommended.’
Desai & Diwanji acts for a varied roster of clients, which includes leading corporations, financial institutions, governmental entities and funds. The team receives instructions on a wide range of corporate and M&A mandates involving sectors such as telecoms, infrastructure, energy and pharmaceuticals.
Fox Mandal's corporate and M&A department renders end-to-end services, demonstrating particular strength in assisting foreign clients with the establishment of business operations in India, including all of the required regulatory licenses and approvals. With a wealth of experience in both inbound and outbound investments and M&A transactions, Jeevanandham Rajagopal possesses a deep understanding of the renewable energy sector. Work pertaining to corporate compliance is led by Sathya Prasad, while Soumitra Banerjee is noted for his experience in joint ventures and exit strategies.
E2Open Software India Private Limited
YourOwnRoom Private Limited
Voylla Fashions Private Limited
Testbook Edu Solutions Private Limited
Mobisy Technologies Private Limited
Amber Road Software Private Limited
Metropolitan Cancer Care Centres India and International Private Limited
Schoch & Co s.r.l.
Karaikal Port Private Limited
ReGen Powertech Private Limited and group companies
Randa Accessories LLC
SEG Automotive India Private Limited
Manipal Technologies Limited
Zanec Inc. and group companies
Bauli India Bakes & Sweets Pvt. Ltd.
Centiro Solutions AB
Inventive Global Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
LBR Foundation India
Lebara Media Services Limited, United Kingdom
CDK Global (India) Private Limited
Synchrony International Services Private Limited
Provigil Surveillance Limited
- Assisted SCHOCH & CO. S.R.L. in the acquisition of approx. 49% shares in one of the leading manufacturers of reeds in India.
- Advised and assisted KARAIKAL PORT PRIVATE LIMITED in respect of setting up an LNG terminal at the operational port at Karaikal in South India, by a leading provider of LNG terminals based in the Philippines viz., Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific Company of Manila Limited.
- Assisted ESR HYDERABAD PTE LTD., SINGAPORE in negotiating, inking and establishing a logistics joint venture in India, with one of India’s leading airport operators (GMR Group).
Handling transactional and advisory mandates frtom a cross-section of clients, HSA Advocates stands out for its longstanding expertise in the infrastructure, projects and energy sector. The practice is skilled at advising Indian and multinational corporations on a wide array of corporate transactions, including inbound and outbound M&A, structuring of investments, joint ventures, and long-term government supply contracts. Bharat Sharma specialises in corporate deals, demonstrating the ability to handle restructuring matters. Soumya Kanti De Mallik focuses on share purchases, asset transfers and joint ventures. Recent arrival from Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co Sunando Mukherjee enhanced the service offering provided to public and privately held businesses.
‘Soumya Kanti de Mallik is available, has an analytical mind, and is takes clients’ interests into consideration.’
‘Hemant Sahai is experienced and has deep knowledge of the legal market.’
Astrum Management Advisory
Actis GP, LLP
Renew Power Ventures (Renewable energy platform for Goldman Sachs)
Acme Solar Holdings
Gamma Pizzakraft Overseas
I Squared Capital
Smartworks Coworking Spaces
Cold Love Ice Cream
Kalpataru Retail Ventures
Ocus Skyscrapers Reality
- Assisted National Industrial Corridor Development & Implementation Trust and National Industrial Corridor Development Corporation Ltd in the acquisition by NICDIT of the SPV, incorporated for the development of the industrial township at Thiruvallur District in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Assisted DS Limited in the acquisition of a substantial minority stake in Lalique Group SA ($55m).
- Advised Tata Advanced Systems Limited on the structure of the Tata consortium and the underlying transaction documents.
The corporate and commercial practice at LexCounsel has a broad service offering, which covers acquisitions, share purchase transactions, foreign exchange regulations, as well as company law and contractual issues. The team is retained by a range of clients, showcasing sector-specific expertise of not-for-profit entities, education and life sciences. Alishan Naqvee is the key point of contact for the pharmaceutical industry, while Seema Jhingan has extensive experience handling matters involving educational institutions. Dhruv Manchanda is extremely involved in M&A transactions.
PDS Legal handles M&A encompassing domestic and cross-border transactions in both the private and public sectors. The firm is also adept at providing general corporate and commercial law advice to clients in a diversity of industries, including manufacturing, technology, infrastructure and insurance. Private equity investments, joint ventures and demergers are some of co-head Probal Bhaduri's notable areas of practice. Fellow co-leader Vihang Virkar assists with M&A, commercial law and antitrust regulations, demonstrating particular strength in the aviation segment. Chetan Nagendra stands out for his experience in venture capital transactions and in-depth knowledge of the TMT sector.
Other key lawyers:
Turner Morrison Limited
Madhu Jayanti International Private Limited
Bharathi Cement Corporation
Supreme Nonwovens Pvt. Ltd.
Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG
Sunrise Containers Limited
HBM Partners AG
Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen GmbH
AEML Investments Limited
De Dietrich Process Systems
Tata Capital Limited
Mohan Fibre Products Limited
Webdunia.com (India) Private Limited
- Advised Turner Morrison Limited and STP Limited in the sale of Turner Morrison’s shareholding in STP Limited to Berger Paints India Limited.
- Advised Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen GmbH in its joint venture with Grasim Industries Limited for the production of insulators used in the power transmission and distribution industry.
- Advised Smart Health City Pte. Ltd. in the sale of its 49% stake in Saket City Hospital to KKR backed Max Healthcare.
The M&A department at Singhania & Partners LLP is active in handling transactional mandates on behalf of clients across a range of verticals, including telecoms, technology, financial services, and e-commerce. Ravi Singhania leads on numerous M&A matters, while Dipak Rao is noted for transactions and joint ventures which involve technology transfers and data protection issues, or those which require regulatory approval. Insolvency expert Manish Kumar Sharma is another noteworthy individual in the practice which also counts with Rudra Srivastava, whose areas of expertise cover private equity and restructuring issues.
Inmarsat India Private Limited
S&P Global Inc
O. C. Tanner, Inc.
Acacia International Holding II LLP
Best Koki Automotive Private Limited
National Instruments Corporation
Dictate IT Limited
Insorce Operational Optimizers Pvt. Ltd.
Heifer Project International
Federation of Karnataka Chambers of Commerce and Industry
Dellner Brakes India Private Limited
Corinthian India Holdings LLC
- Advised Inmarsat Group on Indian law for the restructuring of Inmarsat Group pursuant to which the entire shareholding of Inmarsat Plc (the principal holding company of Inmarsat Group) was transferred to 4 private equity and pension funds based in UK, USA and Canada.
- Advised O.C. Tanner on the acquisition of Kwench Technologies in India.
- Acted as legal counsel to S&P Global Inc. for its acquisition of Ness Software Engineering Services India LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in India by way of purchase of ownership and economic interests in the LLP.
Spice Route Legal has established itself as an expanding force in the corporate and M&A market. The practice is engaged by private enterprises and prominent public listed clients, which seek support in relation to acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures, private equity deals, and corporate restructuring. With particular expertise in the fintech, technology, renewable energy and life sciences sectors, the firm has led on multiple transactions involving jurisdictions in South East Asia. Praveen Raju, who is proficient in cross-border M&A, oversees the team. Technology and media deals feature highly in Mathew Chacko's track record.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is diligent, knowledgeable, and provides practical solutions.’
‘Supportive and willing to go the extra mile.’
xQ Capital Advisors
Prestellar Ventures Fund 1 Pte. Ltd.
Sequoia Capital India
Nisa Industrial Services
Blue Lotus Capital
Zenfold Ventures LLP
Asianteaxpress Pte Ltd (TeaBox)
Pest Control India
The Blockchain India Consortia
Test and Verification Solution (T&VS)
SunEdison Infrastructure Limited
Psi Phi Technologies Private Limited (OKCredit)
Moneyview Technology Solutions
- Advised SunEdison Infrastructure Limited on its acquisition of Enrecover Energy, an energy recovery product company, Megamic Electronics, and Sherisha Solar for a cumulative $20m.
- Assisted US-based semi-conductor company Test and Verification Solutions, on a 100% acquisition by Tessolve- a Hero group company.
- Advised the selling shareholders in Neogen Chemicals Limited’s Initial Public Offer.
Major domestic and multinational companies turn to Talwar Thakore & Associates for advice and representation in strategic M&A, joint ventures and sophisticated corporate law matters. The team is jointly headed by Kunal Thakore, who has extensive experience in acquisitions and disposals of private and publicly held companies, and Feroz Dubash, who has a strong background in cross-border matters, focusing on private M&A and regulatory advice.
Elantas Beck India Limited
Global University Systems
Whirlpool of India Ltd
- Advised Elantas Beck India Limited in relation to its acquisition of the intangible assets pertaining to the wire enamel business of Hubergroup India Private Limited.
- Assisted Sanofi India Limited in the sale of its Ankleshwar facility by way of slump sale to Zentiva Private Limited.
- Acted as legal advisors to Adapt Fintech Advisors Private Limited in relation to a Series A investment from a group of investors by way of compulsorily convertible preference shares.
Blending experience in key industry sectors, such as banking and finance, telecoms, infrastructure and insurance, Tatva Legal provides comprehensive services to domestic entities and multinational conglomerates in the M&A space. With substantial expertise in private equity transactions, N. K. Dilip is adept at assisting with corporate restructuring as well as onshore and offshore M&A. Shailendra Komatreddy primarily focuses on joint ventures and investments. Manav Nagaraj and Avinash Mody are other key individuals for corporate and commercial law matters.
‘Very proactive and responsive.’
‘NK Dilip is excellent at marshaling and managing teams of lawyers from various Tatva offices. He gives great confidence that the work is being done and will be completed on time.’
‘Quick response, clear thinking, practical advice.’
‘The team led by Avinash Mody is excellent. Avinash Mody is excellent for negotiation with the counterparts, and provides very practical advice in a timely manner.’
Aaruha Technology Fund
Manipal Health Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. & Healthmap Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd.
Coffee Day Enterprises Ltd.
Soros Economic Development Fund
Dorf Ketal Group
Tower Vision India Private Limited
Salem Al Qattan & Sons Co.
TSI Business Parks (Hyderabad) Pvt. Ltd. & TS Hyderabad 12A
CtrlS Datacenters Limited / Cloud4C Services Pte. Ltd.
Watermarke Estates Pvt. Ltd.
- Assisting Coffee Day Enterprises Limited, Tanglin Developments Limited with the structuring of the transaction documents for the acquisition of 100% of Way2wealth Securities Private Limited (Target) along with identified subsidiaries by Shriram Ownership Trust.
- Acted for Manipal Health Enterprises Pvt. Ltd. in the acquisition of 50% of shares held by Philips India Limited in Healthmap Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd.
- Advising Aaruha Technology Fund, in relation to the sale of Kaalbi Technologies Pvt. Ltd. to Radware.
Corporate law, M&A transactions and private equity investments are all core practice areas for Veritas Legal, which fields a team of lawyers with sectoral expertise across life sciences, e-commerce and real estate. The team is adept at handling matters which start as corporate transactions and evolve into litigation. Abhijit Joshi, who is regularly engaged in acquisitions, divestments and joint ventures, oversees the department. The service offering was recently strengthened by the arrival of Srabonee Roy from Samvad Partners; Roy's areas of expertise include M&A, private equity and corporate advisory.
Other key lawyers:
‘Abhijit Joshi is my go to lawyer for the country of India. He is extremely practical and knowledgeable in the deal arena.’
‘Abhijit Joshi gets to the root of the issue quickly.’
Hotel Leelaventure Limited
Daimler AG NO
Four Seasons Hotel
Provenance Land Private Limited
Huhtamaki PPL Limited
Evonik Industries AG
A91 Emerging Fund 1
- Acted for International Paper Company and its subsidiaries IP International Holdings, Inc. and International Paper Investments (Luxembourg) S.A.R.L. (Sellers) in the acquisition by West Coast Paper Mills Limited of a minimum of 51% of the issued and paid-up equity share capital of the Company.
- Advised Goldman Sachs in relation to their primary investment in Manash Lifestyle Private Limited (Purplle) and thereafter in the further Series C investment into Purplle by Verlinvest.
- Assisted Hotel Leelaventure Limited and its Promoters in connection with the sale to BSREP III India Ballet Pte. Ltd., part of Brookfield Asset Management’s private real estate fund, of HLVL’s hotels in Udaipur, Delhi, Chennai and Bangalore, and property in Agra as well as its business of hospitality and hotel management operations, and related intellectual property.
The corporate team at Advaita Legal focuses on strategic M&A and joint ventures, providing advice spanning regulatory issues, contract documentation and tax efficiency. Corporate restructuring, exit strategies and cross-border commercial agreements are all areas of specialist interest for Monali Dutta, who leads the department.
With particular strength in the real estate sector, ATLAS LAW PARTNERS is instructed by domestic and overseas companies and India-focused funds in relation to M&A transactions and commercial matters. Joint ventures, leveraged buyouts and demergers populate the team's workload. Leading the M&A department is Niti Paul, who advises on entry strategies for foreign entities, takeover of companies and regulatory approvals.
Other key lawyers:
M3M India Private Limited
Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO)
Euramco GmBh (formerly Sachsenfonds GmBh)
Kunshan QTech Microelectronics (India) Private Limited
Carzonrent (India) Private Limited
SuperKisan E-Commerce Private Limited
Dalian Wanda Group
Manfield Chemical Investment Limited
- Advised Euramco Holding GmBH (manager to real estate focussed German funds Immobilien Development Indien I GmBH & Co. KG and Immobilien Development Indien II GmBH & Co. KG, collectively referred to hereinafter as Immobilien Funds) in the sale of redeemable optionally convertible cumulative preference shares of DB (BKC) Realtors Private Limited held by Trinity Capital (Ten) Limited.
- Advised Euramco Holding GmBH in the sale of equity shares of DB (BKC) Realtors Private Limited representing 28.99% in the share capital of DB (BKC) Realtors Private Limited, held by Trinity Capital (Ten) Limited.
- Assisted Qtech in setting up of their wholly owned subsidiary in India.
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors
Fielding a team of lawyers who are experienced in cross-border transactions, BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors has a broad service offering in the field of corporate and M&A. Uttam Hathi, who focuses on corporate and commercial law, leads the practice which is kept busy advising on joint ventures and acquisitions. Regular instructions further include assisting international clients on the establishing of business operations in India.
Other key lawyers:
Dhir & Dhir Associates brings together multidisciplinary teams to handle the entire spectrum of issues inherent to M&A transactions, advising on tax structures, IP and employment law aspects. Covering domestic and cross-border transactions, the practice assists with purchase of shares and assets, joint ventures, and commercial agreements. Corporate restructuring is an area of particular focus for insolvency expert Alok Dhir. Associate Namrta Sudan Rai is another core team member, who is experienced in transactions involving the media, technology and telecoms sectors.
SomDatt Finance Corporation Limited
GCC Services India Private Limited (GCC)
Fastway Transmissions Private Limited
Naya Raipur Development Authority
Bombay Hemp Company
Dion Global Solutions Limited
Cvent India Private Limited
FabIndia Overseas Private Limited
Taurus Asset Management Company Limited (TAMCO) and Taurus Investment Trust Company Limited (TITCO)
Rocking Engineering Solutions Private Limited
India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited
- Advising Kuldip Singh Rathee and Vijay Rathee on the acquisition of shareholding of SomDatt Finance Corporation Limited, which is engaged in financial activities.
- Advising GCC on regulatory compliance, company and employment-related documentation.
- Providing legal services to Fastway Transmissions Private Limited, Punjab’s biggest cable television company on the acquisition of FTPL’s JV Partner’s shareholding and minority shareholding of Promoters by an Investor.
Dua Associates offers legal support in relation to M&A transactions across a diversity of industry sectors, including financial services, telecoms, energy, real estate and manufacturing. The team continues to render corporate advisory services to longstanding clients. Practice co-head Neeraj Kumar, who has extensive international experience, is regularly retained to assist with foreign exchange laws, company formation and asset transfer agrements.
Isagro S.p.A, Italy
Logistics Plus India Private Limited
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
TVU Holdings Corporation ( US)
- Assisted Isagro Italy in the sale of their 100% stake in Isagro Agrochemicals India to an Indian buyer (PI Industries).
- Advised Under Armour on setting up and expansion of their operations in India as well as setting up its retail stores – Under Armour Brand House Stores in Delhi & Mumbai.
- Advised Hewlett Packard Enterprise in relation to asset purchase of MAPR Technologies Research & Development India Pvt Ltd as part of a global acquisition of assets of MAPR Technologies Inc.
Economic Laws Practice
Economic Laws Practice is adept at handling the entire spectrum of transactions involving private and public-listed companies, ranging from M&A, asset transfers and strategic alliances to buyouts, corporate reorganisation and government issues. Adopting a multi-disciplinary approach covering tax and competition law, regulatory challenges and disputes, the team is regularly engaged by private equity firms, venture capital clients, start-ups and funds.
Other key lawyers:
Raghuleela Builders Private Limited
Steelmint Info Services LLP
Prozone Intu Properties Limited (Prozone Group)
TGP Tecnocap Group Partecipazioni S.R.L (Tecnocap)
HT Music and Entertainment Company Limited
CAC Holdings Corporation, Japan
Azafran Innovacion Limited and Azafran Ventures Private Limited
Capital India Asset Management Private Limited
Precious Trading & Investments Limited and Sheth Developers Private Limited
Thriveni Earthmovers Private Limited
Google India Private Limited
- Advised Tecnocap in relation to a joint venture the client entered into with Oricon Enterprises Limited to carry out the business of manufacturing lug caps.
- Assisted with the scheme of merger between Azafran Innovacion Limited (Transferor Company) and Azafran Ventures Private Limited (Transferee Company), and their respective shareholders and creditors (Scheme), as per the provisions under Sections 230-232 of the Companies Act, 2013.
- Advised Thriveni Earthmovers Private Limited acquisition of shares of the target company, Brahmani River Pellets Limited.
Nishith Desai Associates
The corporate transactions practice at Nishith Desai Associates has been particularly active handling complex public M&A matters and deals involving infrastructure investment trusts. The team's key strength lies in cross-border private equity and M&A transactions, with other areas of expertise including securities litigation and corporate governance. Nishchal Joshipura is noted for advising on transactions encompassing multiple jurisdictions. Other noteworthy individuals include Ruchir Sinha and Simone Reis, who focuses on M&A and venture capital investments.
Other key lawyers:
Tiger Global Five Holdings
Square Dotcom Private Limited
Naspers Ventures B.V. / Prosus Ventures
- Advising GIC Singapore in its investment into a private unlisted infrastructure trust (InvIT) sponsored by IRB.
- Acted for Radiant Life (managing Nanavti hospital in Mumbai and BLK in Delhi) and its promoter Abhay Soi, which signed an agreement to acquire Max Healthcare from Analjit Singh and create a $1.1 bn listed healthcare entity through series of demergers and a reverse merger.
- Assisted Foundation Holdings and Ryan International Group which formed a joint venture under the brand ‘Ryan EduNation’ to expand footprints in K-12 education in India.
P&A Law Offices
P&A Law Offices' corporate and M&A practice is engaged by a diverse client roster, comprising of multinational and domestic corporations spread across sectors including technology, infrastructure, oil and gas, renewable energy and environment. Anand Pathak is experienced in cross-border and Indian merger transactions, acquisitions and dispositions. Focusing on investments and technology transfers, Anil Kumar is another core member of the department, which also counts with Shashank Gautam's thorough understanding of M&A and connected merger control matters. Ketan Mukhija departed for Link Legal - India Law Services in February 2021.
Haldia Water Services Private Limited
SREI Infrastructure Finance Limited and Quippo Oil and Gas
RIB Software SE
RIB iTWO Software Private Limited
Tata Steel BSL Limited
Vara Infotech Private Limited
Amazon.com NV Investment Holdings LLC
Fujisoft-Vara Private Limited
- Advised Tata Steel BSL on its merger with its parent company, Tata Steel Limited.
- Advised Navigant Consulting in its acquisition by Guidehouse LLP.
- Assisted the Ferro Corporation in the sale of its tile coatings business to Pigments Spain S.L., a company of the Esmalglass-Itaca-Fritta group, which is a portfolio company of Lone Star Funds, for $460m in cash, with the potential for an additional $32m in cash, based on the performance of the business pre-closing, subject to customary adjustments.
Mandates pertaining to company formation, mergers and acquisition, management buyouts and restructuring are all core areas of activity for Singh & Associates Founder – Manoj K Singh Advocates and Solicitors. Practitioners also have thorough knowledge of venture capital transactions, foreign direct investments as well as private equity deals. Founding partner Manoj Kumar Singh and Daizy Chawla manage the department, which acts for domestic and international clients on a variety of transactional matters.
‘The team at Singh & Associates led by Daizy Chawla provided our charitable trust with sound legal advice which was thoughtful and detailed. They took the time to understand the work that we do at our non-profit, so as to render practical and relevant legal advice.’
Kyokuto Kaihatsu Kogyo Co. Ltd
Bank of China
Uppal Housing Private Limited (Due Diligence)
PK Industries Private Limited
SoBo Estate Development Private Limited
New Dimension Edumark LLP
Waste Capital Partners Inc. and Waste Ventures India Private Limited
MHS City Lab
Buzz India Trust
Kohinoor Foods Limited
GivFunds Social Ventures Trust
Fircosoft India Private Limited
YODOYABASHI & YAMAGAMI L.P.C. Osaka Office
Jindal Saw Limited
Pactera Technology (Hong Kong) Limited
- Advised a Japan based company, Kyokuto Kaihatsu Kogyo Co. Ltd. which desired to acquire Satrac Engineering Private Limited, a company registered under the Companies Act, 1956 in India.
- continuously provides opinion to ZTE Group in relation to various matters ranging from corporate, insolvency and employment law.
- Advising Pactera Technology (Hong Kong) Limited which is intending to incorporate a private limited company in the state of Hyderabad, India with 2 foreign subscribers.
The corporate and M&A team at BTG Legal acts for clients across a range of sectors, including infrastructure, media, manufacturing and shipping. Typical mandates include advising on takeovers, acquisitions, joint ventures and private equity investments. Nikita Jogani is noted for leading on cross-border M&A deals, while Vikram Jeet Singh heads the digital business team.
Gagrats provides legal support to domestic and international corporates in relation to acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures. Its client base operates in a variety of industry sectors, ranging from consumer products to pharmaceuticals, aviation, engineering and energy. The team is experienced in cross-border transactions and privatisations. Rustam Gagrat advises on the gamut of corporate and M&A matters, with a special emphasis on joint ventures and business transfers. Haseena Tapia is another key individual in the practice.
Juris Corp advises Indian clients and multinational corporations on a variety of corporate law issues, commercial agreements and M&A transactions. Arunabh Choudhary, Avikshit Moral and Jayesh H lead the team.
Other key lawyers:
Kanga & Company Advocates and Solicitors
Kanga & Company Advocates and Solicitors leads advice to a varied client list in relation to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private equity investments. Domestic and international companies and financial institutions make up the team's client roster.
Manilal Kher Ambalal & Co Advocates, Solicitors and Notary
The corporate and M&A department at Manilal Kher Ambalal & Co Advocates, Solicitors and Notary is skilled at representing Indian corporate clients undergoing internal restructuring. Typical mandates range from advising on strategic acquisitions and commercial agreements, to assisting with private equity investments, amalgamations and regulatory issues. The practice is jointly led by Vikram Trivedi and Rashid Boatwalla.
Larsen & Toubro Limited
L&T Realty Limited
L&T Construction Equipment Limited and
L&T Machinery Limited
L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering Limited
Reliance Commercial FinanceLimited
Bajaj Finance Limited
- Approached by its long-standing client, Larsen & Toubro Limited to advise on a merger of one of its group entities, L&T Shipbuilding Limited an the consequent realignment of its corporate structure with Larsen & Toubro Limited.
- Retained by the real estate flagship company, L&T Realty Limited to advise it and 2 other group entity companies of the Larsen & Toubro Group of Companies on a complex restructuring and corporate realignment exercise within the Group.
Obhan & Associates assists with different facets of corporate and M&A law, including sale of business undertakings, joint ventures, foreign direct investment and regulatory compliance. The team also provides commercial contract support to in-house counsel, and corporate advisory services. Adv Ashima Obhan QC, who heads the practice, further has significant experience in private equity and venture capital deals.
Homage Ventures LLP
Penguin Random House India Private Limited
Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC
Metaphor Tradelinks Private Limited
Kristal Advisors (Sg) Pte. Ltd.
Synergistic Financial Networks Private Limited (through its brand Mosambee)
Verity Knowledge Solutions Private Limited
Harappa Learning Private Limited
The Financial Times Limited
Mountain Valley Springs India Private Limited (through its brand Forest Essentials)
- Advised Homage in the incorporation of an overseas JV, Caterland Hospitality Limited with Speciality Hospitality UK Limited to establish and operate an Indian restaurant in London.
- Acted for Penguin India in the acquisition of the book-publishing assets of Duckbill Books that included its titles and its backlist of non-fiction and fiction books.
- Advised Metaphor on the transfer of the aforesaid India business to Shoppers Stop, a company that is engaged in the business of running retail stores.