Juris remains one of the most pre-eminent firms for dispute resolution in the domestic Icelandic market, fielding a strong bench of Supreme Court attorneys and dual-qualified lawyers who excel at handling both complex and high-value disputes, particularly in the banking and finance sector. Financial litigation and asset litigation are core disciplines for the team, and the group also specialises in cross-border mandates spanning multiple jurisdictions. Highly-experienced litigators Andri Árnason and Stefán A. Svensson jointly head up the practice group, with the latter being praised as ‘exceptionally smart and solution minded.’
Dispute resolution in Iceland
Andri Árnason; Stefán A. Svensson
Other key lawyers:
Andri Andrason; Edda Andradóttir
‘Stefan A. Svensson is one of the best attorneys I have worked with in dispute resolution. He is exceptionally smart and solution minded. He is very quick to realise the main issues and he is one of Iceland’s best trial lawyers.’
Íslandspóstur (Iceland Post)
University of Iceland
- Representing Icelandic State Broadcaster in cases regarding press freedom.
- Represented the Icelandic Directorate of Health in cases regarding the legality of Covid control measures.
- Representing Landsbankinn hf. in cases regarding the legality of variable interest rates in consumer mortgages.
Lex Law Offices has considerable pedigree when it comes to dispute resolution, fielding a team with numerous Supreme Court attorneys and a demonstrable track record at all levels of the Icelandic court system, including handling high-end, complex cases before the Supreme Court of Iceland; several of the team’s partners have served as judges at all three instances of the judicial system. The practice leverages its wealth of expertise to offer the full-suite of advice to a client roster that spans major domestic banks including commercial and investment banks, including Arion Bank and Landsbanki. Insurance disputes, torts and shipping litigation are other key focuses of the department, which is jointly led by notable tort and insurance expert Kristín Edwald and Supreme Court litigator Arnar Þór Stefánsson.
Kristín Edwald; Arnar Þór Stefánsson
The Fishing association of the river Grímsá and the river Tunguá
Sante ehf. and Santewines
Bondholder Group of WOW Air
Municipality of Mosfellsbær
- Representing Kópavogur Municipality in a dispute regarding a land real estate, including future building areas.
- Defended Sante and Santewines in litigation initiated by the Icelandic State Alcohol and Tobacco Company (ÁTVR) against the clients for their retail sale of alcohol in Iceland.
- Representing Samherji in an investigation by the authorities in Namibia and Iceland into alleged bribes and money laundering in connection with the operations of Samherji in Namibia
Dispute resolution is a core tenet at LOGOS, which houses one of the most well-established practices in the domestic market. The team acts at all levels of the court system, including handling cases before the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, arbitration tribunals as well as the EFTA Court, and counts a substantial number of Supreme Court attorneys among its deep roster of seasoned practitioners. Derivative settlements, set-off claims, cross-border clawbacks, insolvency claims, corporate investigations and criminal and civil liability cases, among others, comprise the team’s core competencies, and the team frequently operates across the construction, maritime, transport and IT sectors. Heiðar Ásberg Atlason heads up the department, focusing on bankruptcy law, restructurings and workouts, including the associated litigation, while Helga Óttarsdóttir and Halldór Brynjar Halldórsson excel in competition litigation and Ólafur Eiríksson has notable experience before the Supreme Court.
Heiðar Ásberg Atlason
Other key lawyers:
Helga Óttarsdóttir; Ólafur Eiríksson; Hjördís Halldórsdóttir; Halldór Brynjar Halldórsson
‘Strong expertise, trust and reliability. I feel that the project is in the best possible hands.’
‘Apart from being very professional, they offer a personalised service, are respondent and flexible. They embrace technology in communication and solutions.’
‘Superb knowledge, flexibility and responsiveness.’
Islenskir adalverktakar (IAV)
66 North Lux
MAST (The Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority)
Reykjavik Sports Club for Disabled (IFR)
Lyf og heilsa
Saint Lawrence Aviation Leasing
RRPF Engine Leasing
Estate of Brotafl
The Icelandic Visual Art Copyright Association
- Representing HSBC Milan Branch in litigation valued at more than $30m relating to the winding up process of LBI.
- Representing Arion Bank, the country’s largest financial institution, in a landmark case concerning variable interests rates in consumer loans.
- Representing an individual in a case in which the bankrupt estate of an airline claims damages from its directors, as well as its former parent company.
Réttur – Adalsteinsson & Partners handles the full range of domestic and cross-border dispute resolution matters, and is regularly instructed on top-end financial liability and commercial litigation. The firm retains its strong reputation for fundamental rights cases and continues to be engaged on high-profile freedom of speech, right to privacy and healthcare cases. In recent work, the group represented candidates to parliament in a dispute regarding the legitimacy of a contested recount in the 2021 elections, and filed applications to the European Court of Human Rights. Sigurður Örn Hilmarsson and Sigrún Ingibjörg Gísladóttir jointly lead the team.
Sigurður Örn Hilmarsson; Sigrún Ingibjörg Gísladóttir
Icelandic Water Holdings
Anchorage Capital Group
Reykjavík City Theatre
Icelandic Writer’s Association
RSM Restructuring Advisory
- Advised four candidates to parliament on the legitimacy of the elections in 2021 and filed applications to the European Court of Human Rights.
- Acted for Icelandic Glacial in a liability case concerning trade mark rights.
- Advised Guðjón Skarphéðinsson and Erla Bolladóttir on the annulment of a high-profile murder case from 1980.
ADVEL Attorneys at Law is equally adept at domestic and EFTA Court claims, and also handles a range of alternative dispute resolution including out-of-court attorney led negotiations, international arbitration proceedings at the LCIA, and appearing before municipal and government authorities. The team frequently represents international financial institutions and major global corporations; Arion Bank and Vodafone are key examples from its roster of clients. Guðmundur Siemsen acts as team leader, receiving support from additional key contact Dóra Sif Tynes.
Other key lawyers:
Dóra Sif Tynes
The Icelandic Government
- Acted as counsel for Sýn (Vodafone Iceland) to appeal a decision of the EFTA Surveillance Authority concerning state aid to Farice for the roll-out of a third submarine cable for international connectivity in electronic communications.
- Representing insurers in numerous court cases filed by the liquidators of the Wow Air estate involving claims under the D&O policy of Wow Air.
- Providing legal advice and representation to Brim in an employment dispute.
BBA//Fjeldco has a robust reputation for commercial litigation including acting in damages, rescission and derivative claims; the group is also frequently instructed on real estate and shareholder disputes, and cross-jurisdictional matters including handling the enforcement of foreign judgements. The practice also excels in arbitration proceedings: team co-head Baldvin Björn Haraldsson acts as vice president of the board of the Nordic Arbitration Centre, while fellow co-head Thorir Júlíusson has expertise in a range of litigation, specifically banking, tort, insurance and contested real estate matters.
Thorir Júlíusson; Baldvin Björn Haraldsson
Other key lawyers:
‘The team reacts swiftly to inquiries and requests. The team makes sure that the strategy is organised and discussed thoroughly with the client.’
‘Thorir Júlíusson is a stand out partner. Gives honest opinions.’
This is City Attractions
Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
Harpa Concert Hall
Landslog – Law Offices undertakes an extensive range of contentious matters, with damage claims, shareholder disputes, administrative issues and bankruptcy proceedings constituting the core practice of the group; the team also offers more specialised advice relating to computer crimes, urgent due-diligence work and unforeseen competition charges, among others. Under the guidance of experienced and versatile practice heads Grímur Sigurðsson, Jóhannes Sveinsson and Áslaug Árnadóttir, the group leverages the firm’s depth of knowledge to provide an inter-disciplinary approach that encompasses banking, real estate, construction, securities and regulatory work.
Grímur Sigurðsson; Jóhannes Sveinsson; Áslaug Árnadóttir
Other key lawyers:
Jón Gunnar Ásbjörnsson
‘The team the exhibits the highest level of professional competence, with integrity and experience.’
‘Jóhannes Sveinsson displays outstanding professionalism, moderation, firmness and intellectual capacity.’
‘A very professional firm.’
‘Jón Gunnar Ásbjörnsson is an excellent lawyer. He is proactive and great with his comprehensive advice. Our case involves challenging new points of law and he has come up with some good ways of doing so.’
Central Bank of Iceland
QBE International Insurance
Icelandic Airport and Air Traffic Management (ISAVIA)
University of Iceland Lottery
Icelandic Prime Contractors – IAV
The Icelandic National Opera
- Acted for English insurers on significant claims made against them under D&O policies purchased by Landsbanki Islands, which entered winding-up proceedings in 2008 following the banking crisis.
- Leading a class action on behalf of a group of shareholders in the collapsed bank Landsbanki against one of the bank’s former owners for allegedly deceiving and withholding information from the bank’s shareholders.
- Representing an organisation of mackerel fisheries in Iceland in court proceedings against the Icelandic state, aiming to overturn the state’s allocation of mackerel quota.