Tax in Hungary
CMS regularly advises on the tax aspects of large M&A and restructuring transactions for clients across a broad range of sectors. Recent highlights also include tax litigation, transfer pricing work and tax fraud cases. Senior counsel Eszter Kálmán is 'quick and thoughtful in responding to client's requests' and senior associate Judit Kresz has particular expertise in income tax, transfer pricing, indirect tax and state aid issues.
‘Eszter Kálmán is positive, responsive and always available at short notice.’
British American Tobacco
Liberty Global (UPC)
- Advising OTP Mobil on various complex and non-conventional tax issues arising in connection with the development and operation of the Simple App and Simple Pay services.
- Advising an automotive manufacturer on the tax aspects of its greenfield investment project.
- Advised Crown Packaging Europe on the tax aspects of its merger with Mivisa Hungary.
DLA Piper's 'client-friendly and practical' team includes the highly regarded Levente Torma and Ákos Becher; both are experienced in advising clients from a wide range of sectors on the tax aspects of corporate restructurings, tax consulting issues and tax planning matters. It also has a strong track record in successfully representing clients in tax-related disputes.
Levente Torma; Ákos Becher
‘Very streamlined, to the point approach in a friendly environment.‘
Synopsys Global Kft
- Advised Lampo on the tax aspects of its sale of a majority shareholding in Poli-Farbe to Fabryka Farb i Lakierów Sniezka SA.
- Represented Bunge Zrt. in a complex tax litigation matter concerning the tax treatment of inventory losses.
- Represented Synopsys Global in a tax dispute pertaining to the applicability of the royalty withholding tax regime to cost sharing arrangements as well as the Hungarian accounting treatment of R&D costs.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law leverages its broad footprint to advise on the Hungarian aspects of global tax structuring mandates for multinational clients. It advised a US multinational technology company on the VAT consequences of its intention to enter the Hungarian market. Gergely Riszter has significant experience in advising on the tax implications of the establishment of various financing and licensing structures through Hungarian vehicles, as well as assisting with structuring considerations of Hungarian operations, including trans-border taxation matters. Tax litigation and transfer pricing disputes also feature in its recent caseload.
- Advising on a tax audit conducted by the Hungarian tax authority for clients in a broad range of sectors.
- Successfully represented a multinational technology company in a transfer pricing dispute relating to the transfer pricing adjustment of return on added value costs.
Jalsovszky's team is jointly led by managing partner Pál Jalsovszky, István Csővári and recently promoted partner Tamás Fehér. Alongside its leading position in the tax litigation sphere, the group's diverse caseload also includes advising a venture capital firm on the tax implications of setting up an investment fund, and advising on the tax aspects of corporate transactions.
Pál Jalsovszky; Tamás Fehér; István Csővári
Euro VAT Reclaim, s.r.o.
Krakvet Marek Batko
CHBC Investment Hungary
JUSTICE Security Kft.
COMAP HUNGÁRIA Kereskedelmi Kft.
Schumacher Packaging GmbH
- Acting for Justice Security in a local tax dispute and representing the client in challenging the local tax authority’s resolution imposing a local business tax default.
- Successfully represented Netadex before the tax authority in a VAT dispute.
- Advised a hospitality sector client on the tax aspects of its restructuring.
Nagy és Trócsányi Ügyvédi Iroda's full-service tax practice covers tax litigation which is a key area of expertise for the group, as well as tax structuring and planning mandates. Péter Nagy and Orsolya Kovács are praised as 'exceptional'; Kovács has particular experience in handling tax litigation in the administrative courts.
Péter Nagy; Orsolya Kovács
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office
Vámosi-Nagy Ernst & Young Law Office's team includes 'a number of professionals with exceptionally deep knowledge of tax law'. The practice represents multinational and local clients in high-profile tax disputes; it also advises on the tax aspects of restructurings and other corporate transactions. In a recent highlight, the team represented various telecoms entities in a telecoms surtax challenge at the European Court of Justice. Tax specialists Péter Vaszari and Szabolcs Vámosi-Nagy, and senior associate Gergely Séra are the key names to note.
Iván Sefer; Péter Vaszari; Szabolcs Vámosi-Nagy
‘Each team member is well-prepared and aware of details of client’s projects and there is always someone available to help with client’s questions.‘
Deloitte Legal Erdos and Partners Law Firm's Mihály Harcos regularly represents clients before the tax authority and before courts in tax controversy matters. The practice recently represented clients from the energy and manufacturing sectors in tax and transfer pricing disputes against the Hungarian Tax Authority.
KCG Partners Law Firm impresses with its 'professional knowledge, ideas and approach to solving issues'. Recent highlights include advising on VAT and corporate income tax matters, and advising on employment share schemes and the tax implications of employee transfers. Eszter Kamocsay-Berta and Gabriella Gálik are singled out for their 'commitment to the highest professional standards and their strong client focus'.
Eszter Kamocsay-Berta; Gabriella Gálik
‘Eszter Kamocsay-Berta and Levente Csengery are highly diligent, with robust experience in structuring and negotiating deals‘.
- Handled the tax planning and structuring aspects of Quality Line Training Centre’s sale of its training business line.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners regularly advises on the tax aspects of big-ticket M&A transactions. The team, which is jointly led by Péter Lakatos and senior associate Balázs Kántor, has been particularly active in the real estate and financial services sectors.
Péter Lakatos; Balázs Kántor
Carepark Pty. Ltd.
GLL Real Estate Partners GmbH
Deutsche Bank AG
Carval, Indotek Zrt. & Bohemian Finaning Zrt.
- Advised Indotek on the tax aspects of its acquisition of various properties.
- Assisted Sberbank with the tax aspects of a bank guarantee facility provided in relation to the financing for the construction of Puskás Stadium.
- Advised Indotek Group on the tax aspects of its acquisition of various distressed debt portfolios.
LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry
Established in 2018, LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry handles a mix of tax planning, structuring and audit work. Recent caseloads includes real estate tax disputes, VAT issues and advertising tax matters. Zoltán Fekete specialises in tax audits and litigation, and has previously worked at the Hungarian Tax Authority. Gáspár Bagaméry is recommended for tax litigation, and is praised for his 'complex thinking, and deep understanding of various commercial matters'.
‘The team combines legal and tax advisory services as a one-stop shop‘.
‘Gáspár Bagaméry has deep understanding of various commercial matters‘.
- Advising Havas Media in connection with its Hungarian operation on all tax mandates including issues relating to VAT, corporate income tax, personal income tax, transfer pricing and advertising tax.
- Advising Alexandra Group on tax audits, the enforcement of tax claims on the basis of completed audits and the tax aspects of financing its operation.
- Advising Aquarius Group on tax planning issues and tax audits.
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal focuses on tax litigation relating to VAT, transfer pricing and trade tax. The group is representing WebMindLicenses in complex tax litigation proceedings. Managing partner Zoltán Várszegi and Dániel Kelemen jointly lead the team, which also includes Tibor Szabó.
Zoltán Várszegi; Dániel Kelemen
- Represented WebMindLicenses in a tax dispute against the Hungarian tax authority.
Leveraging its strong contentious capabilities, Szecskay Attorneys at Law is often instructed in tax litigation; it also handles tax advisory and transactional matters. Recent highlights include advising on the tax aspects of PPF Group's acquisition of Telenor's telecoms assets and handling a tax dispute against the Hungarian Tax and Customs Authority. Róbert Dezső was made partner.
Irontrade Hungary Kft.
Egon Zehnder AG – an international headhunting company
Zebra Neo 2014 Kft.
Snohetta Insbruch GmbH
Budapesti Ingatlan Nyrt.
- Represented a customer service provider in various customs related matters at the Hungarian Tax and Customs Authority.
- Advising a Hungarian listed company on structuring the employee share ownership programme.
- Advising Motoflywear on corporate tax, value added tax and customs structuring for its new products.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda handles the tax aspects of M&A transactions and restructurings; it also has experience in VAT work, transfer pricing issues and tax litigation. The team recently advised Hemisphere International Properties on the tax aspects of the restructuring and sale of its real estate portfolio as well as providing tax structuring and stamp duty advice relating to the post-sale restructuring and refinancing. János Pásztor and Alexandra Tóth are the names to note.
‘The tax team has excellent technical knowledge and experience in the field of tax planning and tax structuring combined with unique industry background’.
‘János Pásztor is a very smart, innovative person with outstanding knowledge and experience and an excellent network‘.
Chemical First Trading / Kapachim
International Flavors & Fragrances
Hemisphere International Properties
- Advising the Hungarian subsidiary of a multinational technology company on various tax issues including the taxation of employee benefits and the taxation of employees working in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising a real estate sector client on transfer pricing issues.
- Acting for an energy company on tax matters relating to its EPC activities.