Projects and energy in Hungary
Andrékó Kinstellar advises on an impressive mix of deals across the energy spectrum, including large-scale project finance work and M&A transactions. Recent highlights include advising SINO-CEEF Capital Management on the acquisition of Renovalia’s renewable energy portfolio including two wind farms from Promontoria Holding 124 BV, and acting for MKB Bank on the financing of the development of a greenfield 4 MWp photovoltaic power plant project. Practice head Kristóf Ferenczi is 'an excellent lawyer with very deep knowledge of the market and energy law'. Managing partner Csilla Andrékó specialises in energy financing transactions with a focus on the renewable energy and infrastructure markets, and counsel Balázs Sepsey has expertise in energy-related M&A transactions and EU energy regulatory matters.
‘Very responsive, very good international Network with very good teams in other eastern European countries as well‘.
‘The knowledge of the energy regulation is excellent, very practical approach, short response time, and practical way of drafting agreements‘.
‘A very deep knowledge of and experience in the CEE energy market and environment‘.
‘Kristóf Ferenczi is an excellent lawyer with very deep knowledge of the market and energy law‘.
‘Balázs Sepsey understands the merit of the case very quickly‘.
NKM Nemzeti Közművek
DXT Commodities SA
- Advising SK Innovation on the second phase of the establishment of a green field electric vehicle battery manufacturing plant in excess of €850m.
- Advising NKM in relation to the EU Clean Energy Package.
- Acted for Hungarowind/MVM on the acquisition of a 16MW solar energy plant in Visonta.
CMS' 'dedicated team' is praised for its 'quick response times'. Its energy practice acts for renewables, power, and oil and gas clients, which it advises on the life cycle of a project. Recent instructions saw the team advising on a number of significant photovoltaic power projects. Péter Simon and energy-finance specialist Erika Papp jointly lead the sizeable team, which includes of counsel Tamás Tercsák, who focuses on EPC matters; senior associates Zsófia Hermann and Péter Deák, and senior counsel Csongor Tompa, who is experienced in project finance.
Péter Simon; Erika Papp
‘Strong knowledge, exceptional in negotiating, perfect in preparing contracts, fast and always available‘.
Budapest Power Plant
- Assisted the French and Romanian branches of Engie with the acquisition of a limited natural gas trading licence.
- Advised MMBF, a Hungarian natural gas storage company, on a €14m refinancing matter.
- Acted for EDF Trading Markets (Ireland) in connection with obtaining an electricity trading licence in Hungary and related regulatory matters.
Dentons has a well-established reputation for advising on a broad range of matters including energy and power project financings, regulatory and transactional energy-related work, and matters relating to nuclear energy, electricity transmission, municipal water and waste water, renewable energy, infrastructure and oil and gas issues. István Réczicza heads up the energy and regulatory practice, and handles big-ticket transactions and major disputes, while Gergely Horváth heads up the banking and finance practice with a particularly focus on acquisition and project finance mandates. Of counsel Emőke Kovács is particularly noted for her experience in advising electricity and gas sector clients on regulatory, compliance, energy production and commercial issues. Anita Horváth and János Csáki are further names to note for M&A transactions, as is energy regulatory specialist Balázs Csuday.
István Réczicza; Gergely Horváth
CEFC China Energy Company
MAK Mecsek Autópálya Koncessziós Zrt.
- Advised Budapest Airport on a new €200m loan facility provided by the European Investment Bank to further fund major infrastructural upgrades to one of the fastest growing airports in Europe.
- Advised Erste Group Bank AG on the new €555m revolving credit facility agreement that was arranged as a club deal with a group of 15 relationship banks of the MOL Group.
- Advised MET Group on financing the acquisition of Hungary’s largest natural gas distribution system operator.
DLA Piper stands out for its 'tailor-made responses to very specific and challenging questions'. Its projects and energy team acts for investors, financial investors and financiers on multibillion-euro mandates, and the team excels in major infrastructure and energy-related projects. Péter Györfi-Tóth has 'tremendous structuring and negotiating skills', Gábor Simon gives 'clear advice', and counsel Miklós Horváth has an outstanding track record in structuring and implementing infrastructure projects and infrastructure project finance issues. Managing partner András Posztl, who focuses on M&A transactions, is also recommended.
Péter Györfi-Tóth; Miklós Horváth; Gabor Simon
‘The team consists of well skilled lawyers who consistently develop their knowledge. They are at our disposal any time and give us legal advice in very short deadlines‘.
‘It is its tailor-made response to the very specific, challenging questions in unique fields of law, such as state aid and the legal environment of development banks, that makes DLA stand out from other competitors‘.
‘Péter Győrfi-Tóth has tremendous structuring and negotiating skills. Furthermore, his network in the energy industry could be great asset for anyone‘.
‘Péter Györfi-Tóth has tremendous structuring and negotiating skills’.
‘Gábor Simon gives very well-based and clear advice‘.
‘Gabor Simon is highly skilled. He is able to understand very quickly even the most complicated and professional themes. His advice is very well based and clear‘.
MVM Partner Zrt.
MVM OVIT Zrt.
HUPX Ltd. / CEEGEX Ltd.
Hungarian Development Bank Ltd.
Hungarian Prime Minister’s Office
- Advising Eni on the sale of its majority shareholding in Tigáz to Switzerland-based MET Holding AG.
- Acted for MVM Partner, the largest Hungarian electricity wholesale trading company, in relation to the transfer of its electricity and natural gas retail business to NKM National Utilities Ltd.
- Advising National Infocommunications Service Company on the planning and implementation of the first GSM-R system in Hungary under the European Rail Traffic Management System.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners handles cross-border M&A and restructuring mandates, as well as related the contentious matters for clients in the real estate, telecoms and energy sectors. It is advising long-term client Rosatom, a Russian state-owned nuclear energy company, on the development of a nuclear power plant project. The team is jointly led by managing partner Péter Lakatos, Ádám Máttyus, Richard Lock and Attila Ungár, and also includes Szabolcs Mestyán and Gabriella Szabó; both focus on project finance matters.
Péter Lakatos; Richard Lock; Ádám Máttyus; Attila Ungár
‘The team is professional, fast, works together and is able to allocate plus capacity efficiently if needed‘.
Stonehill Holdings and IC Campus
Energetický a průmyslový holding, a. s.
Elbit Systems BMD and Land EW – Elisra Ltd.
- Advised Rosatom on the development of the nuclear power plant project at Paks.
- Acted for Energetický a průmyslový Holding on the acquisition by the consortium vehicle Status Power from RWE and EnBW of shares in Mátrai Erőmű, a company operating a lignite-fired power plant.
- Advised Z-Group on renewable energy project development including acquisition and corporate matters and the acquisition of ready-to-build photovoltaic projects.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda works with a roster of premium clients across all major legal disciplines in the energy and real estate sectors, handling high profile M&A and financing transactions, regulatory issues and licensing matters. The highly regarded Konrád Siegler leads the team, which also includes senior counsel Ferenc Mátrai and senior associate Dániel Arányi.
Hungarian Export and Import Bank
Montport Capital ApS
- Advising the Hungarian Export-Import Bank on its export financing of a greenfield agricultural project in Romania.
- Advising ERSTE Bank on the project financing of a Solar Park.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda handles a steady flow of cross-border renewable energy sector M&A transactions and project financing mandates. The team is also particular experienced in energy-related disputes; Zoltán Faludi is the key name to note. László Kenyeres counts Optimum Solar as a main client; he advised it on the establishing of a legal structure for investments into PV power plants on the rooftops of large scale industrial and retail facilities, and in a separate transaction, acted on a complex project regarding e-charging stations. Senior associates Zoltán Bodnár and Norbert Bálint are also highly recommended.
László Kenyeres; Zoltán Faludi
Enlight Renewable Energy Ltd.
Optimum Solar Kft.
Cothec Energetikai Üzemeltető Kft.
- Advising Recom AG on the acquisition of a 75MW solar renewable energy investment project.
- Advising Cothec Energetikai Üzemeltető Kft., a local subsidiary of the GDF Suez group engaged on energy efficiency projects, in relation to the takeover and refurbishment of a cogeneration unit.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners regularly handles public sector projects and public procurement issues. Recent highlights include advising on major railway and transport projects including assisting Chinese-Hungarian Railways Nonprofit with the development of the Hungarian section of the Budapest-Belgrade railway line. Sándor Szterényi leads the practice with Orsolya Hajós; both focus on public procurement and regulatory matters. Eszter Kontor and Gizella Nagy are also recommended.
Orsolya Hajós; Sándor Szterényi
NIF Nemzeti Inftrastuktúra Fejlesztő Zrt.
Magyar Nemzeti Vagyonkezelő Zrt.
Magyar Műszaki és Közlekedési Múzeum
- Advised Chinese-Hungarian Railways Nonprofit Ltd. on the development of the Hungarian section of the Budapest-Belgrade railway line.
- Advising NIF Nemzeti Infrastuktúra Fejlesztő Zrt on the rebuild of the railway track between Szabadbattyán – Balatonfüred.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law continues to advise domestic and multinational clients on energy and infrastructure M&A and financing mandates. It also handles a number of greenfield developments. The team, which is jointly led by Ákos Fehérváry and Benedek Kovács, is praised for its 'responsiveness and serve-the-business approach'. József Vági handles infrastructure project financing mandates, and senior associate Dániel Orosz has significant expertise in acquisition transactions and regulatory matters in the energy sector.
Ákos Fehérváry; Benedek Kovács
‘Their responsiveness and serve-the-business approach is outstanding. They also able to provide service in multiple languages‘.
‘The team carries out exceptionally high quality service in a prompt and flexible manner. Their straightforward business mindset is paired with in-depth experience of the field, which make for a very contented cooperation‘.
- Advising MOL on the acquisition and development of bus manufacturing facility.
- Advised the Municipality of Debrecen on a greenfield development for BMW, which will establish and operates its plant.
- Advised MET Group on the establishment and development of a wind-power plant project with a total capacity of more than 102MW in Serbia.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda recently demonstrated its strength in the major projects space when it advised the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade on its acquisition of a significant part of Port of Trieste. The team also handles energy trading and environmental issues. Department head Gergely Légrádi is recommended for transactional and regulatory matters, and senior associates Petra Tasi and Dávid Hanis are also names to note.
’The entire team with the leadership of Gergely Légrádi is very responsive and proactive. When supporting sensitive and very complex matters, it is essential for the client that the legal team is not only experienced but having excellent negotiation skills and always open to find a reliable and lawful solution‘.
‘Gergely Légrádi and Petra Tasi not only know every relevant detail of the matters they handle, they are often ahead of all the other stakeholders by a couple of steps‘.
Hungarian Energy and Public Utility Regulatory Authority
AUDI Hungária Motor Kft.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Aspect Holding Management
RWE Supply and Trading
ELMÜ-ÉMÁSZ Energiaszolgáltató Zrt.
National Toll Payment Services PLC
Naftna Industrija Srbije j.s.c.
Solar Partners s.r.o.
Törs Waste Management
JUUL Labs UK
GrowGreen Europe AD
Kepler Trading GmbH
- Advising PowerChina Resource Limited on a range of issues relating to Hungarian PV park projects.
- Acting for Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade on its acquisition of a significant part of Port of Trieste (Italy).
- Assisted Hungarian Energy and Public Utility Regulatory Authority with the planning and installation of a new nuclear power plant, Paks.
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal
Clients of Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal praise its 'highly flexible and constructive attitude', 'industry knowledge especially in the area of energy and autonomous driving', 'great negotiation abilities', and its 'flexibility to answer complex questions within a limited time frame'. It advises a mix of greenfield investments and energy projects. Managing partner Zoltán Várszegi and Péter Zalai, who focuses on regulatory matters for clients in the mining and energy sectors, jointly lead the team.
Zoltán Várszegi; Péter Zalai
‘The team can provide a very wide scope of legal services. Their attitude is highly flexible and constructive‘.
‘Péter Zalai is a remarkable lawyer as not only does he provide answers to the raised legal matters in his advice, but he also examines issues in a broader spectrum, hence including viewpoints in his analyses that did not arise previously, and can have a material effect on the matter‘.
‘They are not just lawyers but experts of their industry, and they are familiar with the industry trends, key companies and managers‘.
- Acting for Samsung in its complex high voltage line relocation and grid expansion procedure.
- Advised TIGÁZ on the merger with TIGÁZ-DSO.
Pacific Drilling S.A.
iEnergia Sp. Z.o.o.
Geico Taikisha Group
- Acting for Obton in acquiring a number of large solar park portfolios.
- Assisting iEnergia Sp. Z.o.o. with energy regulatory issues following its entry to the Hungarian market as a gas trading company.
- Advising Mechel Services Hungary on a range of corporate and commercial matters.
HP Legal | Hajdu & Partners
HP Legal | Hajdu & Partners has 'significant knowledge of Hungarian law and the peculiarities of its use in local transactions'. László Hajdu's team is particularly experienced in project finance mandates, and counts OTP Bank, MKB Bank and Hungarian Export-Import Bank as key clients. It recently advised MKB Bank, Hungarian Export-Import Bank and Hungarian Development Bank on the refinancing of the €100m existing credit facilities of Kall Ingredients, and acted for International Investment Bank on the financing of a greenfield agricultural production plant. Hanna Bátki and Réka Versics are also recommended.
‘The team has significant knowledge of Hungarian law and the peculiarities of its use in local transactions. Their understanding of local financial market helps to structure deals for the best protection of client’s interests‘.
International Investment Bank
Futureal Real Estate Development Fund
Cordia Real Estate Development Fund
Infogroup Real Estate Development Holding
K&H Bank (Hungarian subsidiary of KBC)
OTP Bank Plc
Hungarian Export-Import Bank
- Advised the syndicate of MKB Bank, Hungarian Export-Import Bank and Hungarian Development Bank as lenders on refinancing the existing credit facilities of Kall Ingredients Ltd.
- Acted for K&H Bank on the financing of two solar projects of ALTEO.
- Advised Budapest Free Port Logistics on the refinancing of its existing credit facilities of €35m with K&H Bank and OTP Bank.
KCG Partners Law Firm focuses on greenfield and brownfield investments as well as major infrastructure projects. It has a team of 'highly ethical, competent and dedicated business lawyers', which is led by Eszter Kamocsay-Berta and Gabriella Gálik who gives 'dynamic but thorough advice'. It recently advised LEGO on the development of a €354m toy manufacturing plant, and acted for TPLG Tout Pour le Grain on the extension of its site.
Eszter Kamocsay-Berta; Gabriella Gálik
‘KCG Partners has a team of highly ethical, competent and dedicated business lawyers. What we value most is that they always suggest multiple approaches to an issue, with detailed analysis of the possibilities and consequences‘.
‘Gabriella Gálik is an expert of industrial development projects‘.
TPLG Tout Pour le Grain
- Advised LEGO on the development of a €354m toy manufacturing plant.
- Acted for TPLG Tout Pour le Grain on the extension of its site.
- Advised Deltaplast on the expansion of its manufacturing site.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda is advising an energy service provider on the planned construction of a biomass power plant including the related environmental and regulatory matters; advising a multinational oil and gas company on a joint operating scheme for the exploitation of hydrocarbon reservoirs; and assisting a multinational company with a greenfield project relating to the development of a major manufacturing plant. Managing partner Kinga Hetenyi is noted. Zita Albert left the firm.
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys handles a range of project finance, development and transactional work. Szilvia Fehérvári is singled out for her 'exceptional commitment and unique in-depth expertise in the energy markets'. Fehérvári jointly leads the team with Péter Vincze who handles M&A and project finance mandates.
Péter Vincze; Szilvia Fehérvári
‘Szilvia Fehérvári has exceptional commitment and unique in-depth expertise in the energy markets‘.
Leveraging its market leading dispute resolution practice, Szecskay Attorneys at Law is regularly called upon to handle contentious matters for energy sector clients. The team is jointly led by Katalin Grósz, who handles contentious and non-contentious energy matters; Judit Gulás, who focuses on project finance, transactions and disputes; and Róbert Dezső, who has expertise in corporate and tax matters.
Katalin Grósz; Judit Gulás; Róbert Dezső
E.ON Energiakereskedelmi Kft.