CMS' team has ‘a very good command of complex issues’ and is highlighted for its ‘exceptional capability to build up the best strategy in litigation’. Senior partner Zsolt Okányi chairs the disputes department CEE-wide. He is supported by Péter Bibók, who is ‘a highly qualified senior associate with immense theoretical knowledge and practical experience in disputes’. Bibók is well regarded for construction arbitration and IT disputes. Senior associate József Kohl focuses on white-collar crime cases and criminal proceedings against corporate entities.
Dispute resolution in Hungary
Other key lawyers:
Péter Bibók; József Kohl
‘The team’s member stands out with excellent knowledge of the civil procedure law, as well as the relevant substantive law. I think they have exceptional capability to build up the best strategy in litigation. The partner Dr. Zsolt Okányi is accurate and task-oriented person, with capability of making logical decisions and persuasive communication skills.’
‘CMS Hungary has good knowledge and extensive professional experience in dispute resolution matters. They have a very good command of complex issues, focusing always on both legal and business aspects. They are very flexible and always strive to provide complex solutions. Their aim is to keep clients in the long run and they work on this basis.’
‘Zsolt Okányi – he has great overall knowledge and experience in dispute resolution matters, with a particular focus on business aspects; he is able to elaborate very sophisticated strategies and he never gives up; he can communicate very clearly, he can explain all elements in a client-friendly, easy-to-understand way.’
‘Péter Bibók – he is a highly qualified senior associate with immense theoretical knowledge and practical experience in disputes; he focuses on details and if there is any element that can bring a benefit in a dispute, he can find it; he is always flexible and available for clients.’
‘Key litigation individual is a senior member of the team, Péter Bibók, who is very focused and has great oversight of the different judicial procedures. He is also efficient, solution oriented and always available. Further, litigation partner Zsolt Okányi provides assistance in tactical decisions. Besides their special capital markets experience and expertise, what is also very important is the fact that both are balanced and have patience.’
‘Zsolt Okányi and Péter Bibók are talented, highly-qualified, motivated, enthusiastic and helpful. Their proficiency in the world of international arbitration is outstanding in comparison to my previous experience thereon, including knowledge about procedural issues and the behaviour of arbitrators.’
‘They possess exceptional ability in transposing complex technical information into legal documents.’
Telenor Hungary & Telenor Norway
Colas Alterra Zrt.
- Representing the Esterházy Foundation against the Hungarian State for acknowledgement of the Esterházys’ ownership over a large set of 15th century artifacts known as the ‘Treasure of Forchenstein’.
- Representing Siemens against the Hungarian state-owned National Infrastructure Development Agency (NIF Zrt.) in a multimillion euro dispute over the reconstruction of a railway line.
- Representing MOL’s OT Industries in a multimillion euro ICC arbitration, including a successful ICC emergency arbitration phase, against PORR regarding a gas pipeline construction in Poland.
DLA Piper‘s ‘excellent courtroom lawyers’ possess ‘exceptional knowledge of civil procedure’. Highly regarded for its commercial arbitration practice, the group is increasing its visibility in construction, pharmaceutical and investment treaty arbitration cases. Elsewhere, the firm has a market-leading gambling disputes practice. Its highly accomplished practice comprises of András Nemescsói and Dávid Kőhegyi, designated arbitrators on the ICSID Panel of Arbitrators as Hungary’s appointees. Head of disputes and ‘prominent litigator’ Viktor Radics represented a major gambling company in four sets of litigations against the Hungarian Gambling Authority, challenging the monopoly of the Hungarian state owned operator, Szerencsejáték Zrt. in online sports betting on a EU law basis.
Other key lawyers:
András Nemescsói; Dávid Kőhegyi
‘The team is very competent in relevant subjects, professional in communication, and knowledgeable in navigating the legal landscape.’
‘Mr. Viktor Radics is a brilliant professional who is very experienced, responsible, and easy to work with. He is really multifaceted, combining sharp intelligence, strong expertise in the field of dispute resolution and an impressive command of self-control in difficult situations.’
‘We appreciate that they can easily translate very difficult problems to very simple solutions and always see the problem from every angle. We highly recommend them for their very creative thinking and problem solving.’
‘Well established team with relevant experience from a wide variety of different practices.’
‘One of the leading dispute resolution practices in Budapest, reliably delivering excellent results in court cases.’
‘Excellent courtroom lawyers, exceptional knowledge of civil procedure.’
The Minister Without Portfolio Responsible For Managing National Wealth (former Ministry of National Development)
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development/Agency for the Administration of the National Land Fund
Generál Építő Zrt.
Pfizer Gyógyszerkereskedelmi Kft.
- Represented the Minister Without Portfolio Responsible For Managing National Wealth (former Ministry of National Development) in ICSID arbitration (Mazen al Ramahi v. Hungary) concerning a claim by a Jordanian investor. Mr. Al Ramahi alleges that Hungary denied justice to and expropriated his investment in the hotel industry through certain actions by the government during the course of a bankruptcy proceeding launched against Mr. Al Ramahi’s business by a third party.
- Defended Nabriva Therapeutics against a Hungarian National Drug Administration ruling, following 3 fatalities which occurred at a local Hungarian pulmonology hospital which also served as one of the Hungarian study sites of a global pre-marketing study of Lefamulin a new antibiotics to be marketed globally by Nabriva.
- Representing Pfizer in a litigation where the side effects of Champix, a smoking cessation medicine is investigated. The claimant argues that he suffered major recurrent depression as side effect and his personal and professional life collapsed and claims damages on that basis.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners‘ national practice is distinguished for its diverse commercial litigation and arbitration expertise, with notable strength in investment treaty arbitration, corporate and shareholder disputes, banking, pharmaceutical and follow-on private damages litigation. Founding partner Péter Lakatos and Péter Köves are leading figures in the Hungarian market. Balázs Fazakas leads the disputes practice, specialising in commercial arbitration, but also handling a significant amount of top-level litigation work. Associate Adrienn Mándoki is also a central figure in the team.
Balázs Fazakas; Péter Lakatos; Péter Köves
Other key lawyers:
TVOT (National Organization of School Book Distributors)
JSC ASE EC
- Represented Facebook in its long-time dispute with the Hungarian Competition Authority challenging an imposed fine. Successfully acted for Facebook in which the court fully annulled the authority’s decision, establishing that the statement was not misleading price information.
- Represented TVOT, the industry body of school book distributors, in challenging legislation which effectively creates a state owned monopoly for the distribution of school books and kills the business of the current independent school book distributors. Our work on this includes a challenge of the law before the Constitutional Court, seeking either overturning of the law or damages. Since the Constitutional Court had initially rejected our challenge, we subsequently sought remedies at the ECHR. In 2019 the decision of the ECHR establishing that the Hungarian State violated our client’s right under Article 1 of Protocol 1 of the Convention and therefore our clients are entitled to receive a financial compensation became final.
- Successfully represented LG in competition litigation before the Hungarian Competition Office, against Artisjus, for alleged abuse of its dominant position (imposition of excessive levy fees).
Péter Nagy, who chairs the dispute resolution practice at Nagy és Trócsányi Ügyvédi Iroda, has experience of representing leading domestic and multinational corporates in high-profile litigation and arbitration. He has developed a specialisation in banking and finance disputes, and those involving tax considerations. Fellow tax litigator, Orsolya Kovács likewise has ‘solid experience in this field’. ‘Very reliable’ banking and commercial litigator György Kiszely is another top lawyer at the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Orsolya Kovács; György Kiszely
‘This is a law firm prepared for complex cases, with enough number of staff necessary to deal with long and complicated projects. They have long experience not only in Hungary but internationally, too.’
‘Péter Nagy has a long and wide experience not only in
but also in contract development, national and international legal issues. He is very reliable, always available for discussions. He has a very well structured thinking with extremely wide range of experience. He is open for new ideas and very good leader of his team.’
‘Balázs Karsai, is very precise and really good not only in argumentation but also in writing. He is very reliable, responds to oral or written questions rapidly. He is excellent in processing large documentations.’
‘Our legal case requires special expertise, that the law firm posses. They have great experience with EU Law practice.’
‘Orsolya Kovács has several years of experience regarding the tax rules. She is very kind, polite and have solid experience in this field of area.’
‘Peter Nagy, partner: general appearance and proper argumentations at court, reaching out to the proper understanding of the judge’
Hungarian Ministry of Justice
MNV (Hungarian National Asset Management Inc.)
Hungarian State (Ministry of National Development)
Metropolitan Tribunal of Budapest
Heerema Engineering Services
- Represented Heerema Engineering Services B.V of the Heerema Group in a Pauliana litigation against another offshore services provider, the case is currently pending before a Hungarian court. The claim arises from patent infringement and exceeding $100m.
- Won a HUF 14bn case for the Hungarian subsidiary of Kedrion S.p.A. against a Hungarian government entity. Upon request for supervision of the government the case is pending before the Kúria, the Hungarian supreme court.
- Representing the Government of Hungary, an intervenor, in the twin atomic energy cases, both Austria v. Commission, one pending before the ECJ, the other before the Regular Court.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda fields a ‘strong cross-border litigation team’ made up up of ‘enormously smart litigators with academic knowledge of all procedural avenues and a very practical, client-friendly approach.’ Core areas of activity include construction, financial services, insurance, transportation, real estate, bankruptcy and and enforcement of claims. Practice head Tamás Éless ‘remains one of the best litigators in the market‘ and is supported by senior associate Zsolt Farkas, who is recommended for civil law liability, real estate and bankruptcy and liquidation matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong cross-border litigation team’
‘They stand out with the quality of their legal work, in my opinion they are the best dispute resolution desk on the market.’
‘They are able to offer competitive fees, they are easily approachable, have a good understanding of the industry that we are involved in (construction).’
‘Enormously smart litigators with academic knowledge of all procedural avenues and very practical, client-friendly approach.’
‘Tamás Éless leads the practice and remains one of the best litigators in the market. By now, Zsolt Farkas handles complex matters on his own and will have a bright future.’
‘Zsolt Farkas is a highly motivated and experienced litigation lawyer. He listens to the requests of the client but he sticks to his own opinion if he is convinced that he is right and is able to explain and defend his position in a very understandable manner.’
HELL energy (Drinks)
- Defence counsel for UPS on various claims arising out of warehouse fire, including damages claims, authority investigations, and environmental, insurance.
- Acting for Teva Pharmaceuticals in a professional liability matter against KPMG in connection with erroneous VAT reclaim.
- Representing plaintiff, BKV, the Budapest public transport in bringing a series of claims against MWM for allegedly late performance and erroneous repair works of the metro-trains.
Clients praise Szecskay Attorneys at Law's ‘exceptionally enthusiastic’ practitioners, who ‘search for new unorthodox and creative legal solutions with such flexibility that makes work with them so enjoyable.’ As one of Hungary’s best known litigation specialist practices, the group is consistently involved in high-profile Hungarian and international cases, often representing household names such as Sodexo and Richter Gedeon. Real estate, competition, pharmaceutical, energy and telecoms, public procurement litigation and damages actions are all growing areas of activity. András Szecskay is the rainmaker of the practice, which also includes team head Miklós Boronkay, an ‘extremely skilled legal professional’ and up-and-coming senior associate György Wellmann.
András Szecskay; Miklós Boronkay
Other key lawyers:
‘I work with György Wellmann. I am absolutely satisfied that all of our running cases are in excellent and professional hands. György is always available and delivers the solutions on time.’
‘The Szecskay team provides excellent legal advice. Not only are they strong from a technical legal perspective but they also tie that in with a very good understanding of the client’s business.’
‘Miklos Boronkay is an extremely skilled legal professional. He thinks out of the box and – together with his team – delivers high-quality work. He has an excellent understanding of the client’s business.’
‘I would like to single out Szecskay’s young, but already highly regarded partners Miklós Boronkay and György Wellmann from their litigation department. They are our go-to experts when we and our clients need assistance in Hungary.’
‘The practice is strong in both arbitration and traditional litigation. While delivering the same (or better) service as an international law firm, the tailored approach and flexible billing arrangements make them a much better value proposition.’
‘The team is reliable, providing excellent service and in the past 20 years always delivered the required results. I would like to mention György Wellmann who is extremely smart and providing top notch service.’
‘Very professional team and there is a great cooperation between the lawyers in the office.’
‘The dispute resolution team is exceptionally enthusiastic, searching for new unorthodox and creative legal solutions with such flexibility that makes work with them so enjoyable.’
DAF Trucks N.V.
DIGI Communications N.V.
Sodexo Pass International
CE Dynamic Kft.
Ambassador Project Kft.
Vintage&Prestige of Northampton Ltd.
Richter Gedeon Vegyészeti Gyár Nyrt.
MGI International Sales Co. Limited (Hong Kong)
Latvia MGI Tech SIA (Latvia)
- Representing various DAF Trucks entities in cartel damages litigations claims from over 100 plaintiffs in 27 parallel proceedings.
- Representing DIGI Communications in a public procurement challenge in which its bid, to participate in Hungarian National Media and Infocommunications Authority’s tender in respect to facilitation of 5G mobile network services, was refused based on alleged formal invalidity
- Representing Vintage&Prestige of Northampton Ltd, a UK vintage car dealer, to recover an unlawfully seized Aston Martin DB4 worth €500,000 from the Hungarian State. The case involves opening up ten years of investigative and court documents, including information provided by the UK authorities under legal aid.
As part of a pan-European dispute resolution practice, Dentons‘ team is well-placed to handle complex cross-border litigation and coordinate CEE-wide cases across a broad range of disciplines. The firm demonstrates strong expertise in international arbitration and claims arising under the Energy Charter Treaty and in relation to bilateral investment treaties. As one of Hungary’s leading litigators, István Réczicza is sought after by private, state-owned companies and sovereigns in a variety of administrative, court and arbitral disputes.
‘Cross-border collaboration, willingness to work on more complicated matters.’
Budapest Airport Zrt.
- Representing Vodafone in litigation against the Hungarian Competition Authority (GVH) concerning the GVH’s decision by which it imposed a significant fine on Vodafone for infringing the provisions of the Act on the Prohibition of Unfair Commercial Practices against Consumers.
- Represented DIGI, one of the key players in the Hungarian pay TV and telecoms market, before the Metropolitan Court in an administrative court procedure initiated for the judicial review of a decision of the Hungarian Competition Authority (GVH).
Fielding a ‘knowledgeable‘ and ‘capable’ team, Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm is a top disputes-focused firm, which is known for its representation of blue-chip multinationals such as Allianz Global, Cargill Group and Grifols. Gábor Damjanovic is a highly respected arbitrator with extensive experience of acting in bet-the-company cases under ICC, VIAC and UNCITRAL rules. The practice is also mandated by international law firm seeking local representation.
‘They have a very professional and efficient approach. They are always available and continuously advise us on developments. Their service is first class and they are very competent and capable. They are very knowledgeable and very prompt in providing answers.’
BIG BUS TOURS
Centrope Holdings Limited/EUROVEGAS
Dánia Koncept Kft.
Due A srl
- Continued to act for EUROVEGAS Group in a very high value shareholder dispute, whereby minority shareholders of the project claim an amount exceeding €50m.
- Representing Allianz in investigations and disputes in connection with the fire occurred in the Korda Film Studio in Etyek burning down several sets of the new Robin Hood film series.
- Successfully represented Vinzenz von Paul Kliniken gGmbH Marienhospital Stuttgart in freezing a large amount on a Hungarian bank that was the subject of a fake president fraud.
LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry
LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry is a highly-rated boutique specialising in international arbitration, tax litigation and corporate, M&A and shareholder disputes that often involve an international element. The practice is led by Andras Daniel Laszlo, who is ‘a truly first-class lawyer both by local and international standards’. Specialising in international arbitration, he primarily acts for clients in commercial and investment arbitration, as well as corporate investigations and asset recovery.Laszló and Gáspár Bagaméry, a tax and commercial litigator, form ‘a formidable team’.
Andras Daniel Laszlo
Other key lawyers:
‘Andras Laszlo is a truly first class lawyer both by local and international standards. He has excellent commercial and strategic judgment and can draft in English as well as any UK or US lawyer.’
‘This is a team that consists only professional experts in law with pragmatic view and outstanding performance. Provide quick responses and communicate in an understandable way with all partners.’
‘András László is fully integrated into our team and adds value thanks to his experience and expertise. The way he is deep diving into cases and interacts with other departments is impressive and a best practice example of a law firm supporting companies with legal departments.’
‘LFB are extremely knowledgeable and experienced in connection with every aspects of international litigation and arbitration and they deliver their services in a very professional manner, working efficiently with or in house legal team or general legal advisors.’
‘András worked with his partner, Gáspár Bagaméry. His insights ware also invaluable. They form a formidable team that we confidently turn to with even the most difficult cross border legal problems.’
‘Andras is available, knowledgeable and understands the business interest of the client.’
‘Gáspár Bagaméry is our trusted adviser. He is extremely reliable, always well prepared and gives solid advice in both legal and tax questions. He is the best lawyer we have ever worked with by far.’
Pannonia Bio Zrt
Budapest Public Transportation Company
Budapest Public Cleaning Company
Investment Control Kft
Digital Media and Communication Zrt
- Representation of Magyar Farming, UK investors in the Hungarian agriculture sector in annulment procedures brought by Hungary against an ICSID award delivered in November 2019.
- Representing the Budapest Public Transportation Company in connection with a warranty claim relating to the refurbishment of its underground railway fleet against the Russian manufacturer (value approximately €23m ).
- Advising and representing one of the world’s largest logistics group, Geodis, in a contractual dispute. The aggregate amount of claims and counterclaims exceed HUF 7bn (€20m).
László Nanyista, who leads the disputes practice at Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda, has over 20 years of experience in complex bet-the-company corporate, commercial and capital markets lawsuits, as well as cartel cases, squeeze-outs and takeover-related matters. In addition to handling litigation, he is also a skilled international arbitration counsel. Bálint Halász specialises in IP and TMT-related cases.
Other key lawyers:
- Hungarian defence counsel alongside Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP’s New York office, to the Hungarian Government and MÁV, the Hungarian national railway company (defendants) in proceedings initiated by certain Holocaust survivors and their heirs seeking restitution of property taken during World War II.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda‘s team is highlighted for its ‘extensive knowledge and experience’ of cross-border and domestic litigation, primarily in relation to financial services, construction and real estate. It also acts for clients in insolvency proceedings, and in addition, has a strong background in energy arbitration. Name partner Zoltán Faludi has over 20 years of experience in commercial and energy litigation and arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extensive knowledge and experience – excellent client management.’
MOL Magyar Olaj- és Gázipari Nyrt.
INA-Industrija nafte, d.d.
- Represented MOL Magyar Olaj- és Gázipari NyRt. and INA-Industrija nafte, d.d., two major energy companies, in an ICC arbitration against the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Allen & Overy
Balázs Sahin-Tóth is the lead litigator at Allen & Overy, which predominantly acts for banks and corporates in civil lawsuits and judicial reviews of decisions made by administrative authorities. Sahin-Tóth is adept at handling disputes arising from M&A, real estate transactions and employment matters, while Attila Kőmíves specialises in Hungarian and EU competition law.
Other key lawyers:
Students of the Hungarian University of Theatre and Film Arts
Scania CV AB
ING Bank N.V. Hungary Branch
- Represented Scania as respondent in relation to multiple follow-on damages claims in Hungary related to the EU Commission’s cartel decision related to medium and heavy duty trucks.
- Represented ING Hungary in the European Court of Justice in the landmark preliminary reference procedure C-228/18 Budapest Bank and others v GVH. Continue to represent ING Hungary in the upcoming repeated administrative proceedings.
- Represented Hungaropharma in relation to challenging the decision of the Hungarian Competition Authority concerning a cartel inquiry.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners is active in litigation arising from high-value construction projects and other developments, with a specialism in cases involving FIDIC-based (and other) construction contracts. It is also developing its public procurement disputes practice, and regularly acts for creditors in bankruptcy procedures and enforcement of claims against the shareholders and company directors of bankrupt companies. Litigator Ilona Rónay-Csordás and construction head András Fenyőházi are key lawyers.
Ilona Rónay-Csordás; András Fenyőházi
Swietelsky Magyarország Kft (Swietelsky)
SPAR Magyarország Kft.
Dessewffy utca 32 Hotel (Feneberg Group)
KÁTA CNC Kft.
KÁTA CNC Kft.
- Representing Swietelsky for more than two decades in various construction projects, litigation and arbitration disputes.
- Advising Porr on complex claim management cases.
- Representing SPAR Magyarország in high-profile litigation.
Leading the dispute resolution department at Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office is András Nagy, who specialises in construction litigation and arbitration. He also handles a growing number of corporate and shareholder-related claims. Péter Gárdos primarily acts for clients in banking and finance disputes.
Péter Gárdos; András Nagy
‘Their strength are in their deep and thorough knowledge of Hungarian law, especially procedural law. It is unique among the Hungarian law firms.’
‘Peter Gardos and Andras Nagy are excellent lawyers with impressive debate skills.’
Csepeli Sport Klub
- Represented Iveco in the Hungarian damages litigations relating to the Truck decision of the European Commission.
- Represented Raiffeisen Bank in litigations relating to investments in swap products.
- Represented Generali in complex litigation relating to unit-linked products initiated by 20 private individuals.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law has a strong track record in litigation connected with the energy, construction and financial services sectors, and in private enforcement actions and damages claims. The practice is developing its international arbitration offer, with new mandates in ICC arbitration and sports arbitration before the CAS, the international forum for sports-related disputes. The automotive sector is another growing area of contentious work, particularly in relation to warranty related issues. The department is co-led by Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi (who focuses on competition law, administrative law and IP disputes), and Artúr Tamási.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Artúr Tamási
Nyíregyháza Spartacus FC
- Secured final judgement awarding in excess of €22m to a multinational banking client in a damages case related to a major fraud scheme.
- Representing Nyíregyháza Spartacus, a Hungarian football club in international arbitration before the CAS, the international sports arbitration forum.
- Represented Market Zrt, a leading Hungarian construction company in a major construction litigation relating to the largest office building to date in Hungary.
Kapolyi Law Firm
Kapolyi Law Firm has successfully grown its pipeline of contentious work to encompass a broad cross-section of disputes, such as those concerning administrative law issues, press rectification, unfair market practices and cases heard before the European Court of Human Rights. In August 2020, József Antal joined from METRO Cash & Carry Hungary to lead the dispute resolution practice. As an experienced arbitrator, he sits in the Permanent Arbitration Court Attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Antal leads on all major litigation and arbitration cases at the firm, particularly those involving financial services.
Other key lawyers:
‘The uniqueness of the team is in its composition. The members are not only experts in their own field of law, but also knowledgeable in procedural legal issues. Therefore, the legal services rendered are more concise and provided in a time-sensitive manner.’
‘Generally speaking, sector knowledge and the eagerness to get to know their clients are the uniqueness of the firm’s team. József Kapolyi pays special attention that he really knows the clients’ business, because sector knowledge alone is often not enough.’
‘The team is proactive and efficient. They dispense in-depth knowledge and expertise in dispute resolution and enforcement, which is extremely valuable for us. Their knowledge and experience make them capable to compete with the best law firms of the country.’
‘The dispute resolution team works reliably, precisely and highly effective. They are very dynamic, experienced, have great work ethic and deep knowledge. They grant high quality of legal services with the utmost competency combined with business and project oriented approach. ‘
‘Dr József Antal has had a long career and experience in dispute resolution and legal enforcement that goes back to many decades.’
Delta Technologies Plc.
Hungarian Post Investment Ltd.
Landmark Attractions Ltd.
Random Capital Ltd.
Alba Molaris Ltd.
MULTICOLOR ’89 Kft. “under liquidation”
Családbarát Ország Nonprofit Közhasznú Ltd.
AGY 69 AG
- Representing AGY69 AG in a precedent-setting administrative litigation matter against the National Bank of Hungary concerning the interpretation of certain rules on own shares.
- Represented Delta Technologies, a publicly listed company on the Budapest Stock Exchange (BSE), in an administrative litigation against the National Bank of Hungary concerning a record amount market supervision fine.
- Representing Landmark Attractions AG in a €2,5m contractual dispute involving parties from several jurisdictions.
Lohn Law Firm houses ‘accurate, reliable, knowledgeable and highly skilled lawyers with a wide spectrum of expertise’. It is particularly noted for its involvement in mid-size disputes that interface with disciplines such as commercial and corporate, construction, employment and IP. Balázs Lohn is the go-to counsel for property and contractual disputes, while fellow litigator Marta Mraz specialises in employment and IP cases.
Balázs Lohn; Márta Mráz
‘Accurate, reliable, knowledgeable, highly skilled lawyers and team with wide spectrum.’
‘We are more than satisfied with the service we receive from Lohn Law Firm. They are flexible, fast, efficient and professional.’
‘Flexibility, efficiency and professionalism.’
‘Lohn Law’s team consists of highly skilled and capable professionals trained to provide comprehensive range of services. They are forthcoming and diligent. It was a pleasure working side by side with them.’
‘I had a pleasure of working with the leading partner Balazs Lohn and Marta Mraz. I found them to be very dedicated to resolving the case in mater, prepared to work long hours when necessary and able to conclude any service within the reasonable time.’
‘Dr Balázs Lohn – Accurate and effective in dispute resolution.’
Material Logistic Kft. and Material Group Kft.
- Acting for Material Logistics, a Hungarian group of companies against a leading company operating in the energy, water and waste management industries. The total value of the claims exceeds €5.6m. The procedures include litigations based on contractual claims like validity of assignments, set-off agreements, criminal and liquidation procedures. The plaintiff and the defendant positions are varying in the different procedures.
- Acted for Hungarian architecture firm NYÍRTERV-PLUSZ Kft against various clients and architecture firms due to the breach of its intellectual property with the aggregate claim value of €3.8m.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP continues to expand on the practice built up by name partner and arbitrator, László Partos, who regularly appears before the Monetary and Capital Markets Arbitration and Arbitration Tribunal of the Hungarian Chamber of Industry and Commerce. He specialises in disputes in the capital markets, corporate and telecoms sectors. Partos also leads the firm's anti-corruption and bribery practice. Elsewhere, Sándor Békési was added to the roll of arbitrators of Arbitration Court attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry from February 2021. He is noted for his representation of Hungarian and international clients operating in the infrastructure and projects space in high-value litigation and arbitration.
László Partos; Sándor Békési
‘We have engaged Partos & Noblet to represent us in arbitration proceedings. They showed good knowledge of arbitration processes.’
- Advising Edenred on the Hungarian law aspects of the investment arbitration proceedings initiated by Edenred against Hungary before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
- Advising Vajda Papír Kftin on an alleged trade mark infringement before the Budapest Metropolitan Court.
- Representing Aviagen in a commercial litigation matter against a Hungarian food production company.
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal‘s team is praised for its ‘experience, knowledge, meticulous work and connections’. It is predominantly active in tax litigation, insolvency and debt collection on behalf of debtors, and also regularly represents domestic and foreign entities in disputes with the competition authorities. Name partners László Réti, Zoltán Várszegi and Dániel Kelemen are the main figures.
László Réti; Zoltán Várszegi; Dániel Kelemen; Péter Zalai
‘Experience, knowledge, meticulous work and connections.’
Flovestor Passage Kft.
GEA CEE GmbH Hungarian Branch
Gránit-Pólus Fejlesztési Kft.
Pólus Irodaház Ingatlanhasznosító Kft.
VITERRA Hungary Kft.
- Representing BKV, a public transport provider company, in several high-profile lawsuits.
- Acted for VITERRA Hungary in several high-profile tax and customs disputes – including representation based on previous representations in front of the European Court of Justice.
Commercial litigation and arbitration continue to be strong areas of activity for Szabó Kelemen & Partners Andersen Attorneys‘ group, which is led by László Kelemen, and includes Laura Vágó and András Komáromi. Drivers of work include competition and tax disputes, as well as contentious matters arising from the energy, gaming, construction and manufacturing sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Laura Vágó; András Komáromi
‘Customer focus and reliability are areas of strength – we felt like we were getting a really good service.’
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland focuses on construction disputes, breaches of contract, torts and employment disputes. The practice is led by managing partner Ágnes Szent-Ivány and practice head Péter Sándor, both of whom are panel members of the Court of Arbitration attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Other areas of activity include IP cases, tax litigation, debt collection matters and bankruptcy proceedings. Katalin Varga is active in employment disputes.
Péter Sándor; Péter Komáromi
Other key lawyers:
Ágnes Szent-Ivány; Katalin Varga
‘Their communication skills are perfect. They make effective efforts to understand our cases. Eversheds Sutherland (Int.) LLP are capable of drawing up several legal solutions quickly, with their pros and cons.’
‘Friendly manner, solid professional background, and good collaboration from customer prospective makes them better than the others.’
Universal Hungary Kft.
BSH (Bosch Siemens Hungary)
Tata Consultancy Services
- Advising Fagold against Vectigalis the most significant liquidator company in Hungary for causing damages deliberately to the client.
- Advising Turkish Airlines in all dispute resolution cases in Hungary including among others passenger claims for compensation pursuant on the basis on Flight Compensation Regulation 261/2004 EC due to the cancellation of flight.
- Representing BIOTIT in numerous administrative court procedures against different government authorities, in a mining-based dispute.
Displaying ‘excellence from top to bottom’, VJT & Partners‘ lawyers are ‘tough but flexible litigators’ in corporate disputes, particularly in cases involving shareholders, coupled with an impressive background in commercial, competition, administrative, insurance and employment disputes. ‘Hands-on and strategic’ counsel Zoltán Csernus and ‘excellent corporate dispute lawyer’ András Lovretity are key contacts.
András Lovretity; Zoltán Csernus
‘Litigation lawyers have a high level of theoretical and practical knowledge for conducting litigation. They are proactive and come up with ideas for successful litigation.’
‘Excellence from top to bottom. They are tough but flexible litigators, very knowledgeable, and very organized on the procedural front. I am positive that we could not be successful in litigations without their innovative legal thinking.’
‘The following litigators stand out: András Lovretity – András is an excellent corporate dispute lawyer. Zoltán Csernus – Very tough litigator, hands-on and strategic. He has a good sense of humour and he is very helpful.’
UNION Vienna Insurance Group
Andrékó Kinstellar's excellent dispute resolution team comprises of Péter Vörös, Kristóf Ferenczi and senior associate Dávid Zlati. It is lauded for its ‘reputation for quality, excellence and integrity’ and its ability to ‘deliver consistent legal advice together with the know-how and experience to champion the interests while minimising exposure to risk.’ Areas of particular strength include competition, insolvency, employment, and general commercial litigation and arbitration.
Péter Vörös; Kristóf Ferenczi
Other key lawyers:
‘Their reputation for quality, excellence and integrity speaks for itself. With offices in ten jurisdictions and over 250 local and international lawyers, they deliver consistent, joined-up legal advice and assistance across diverse regional markets – together with the know-how and experience to champion the interests while minimising exposure to risk.’
‘We would highlight Péter Vörös. His personality makes the coordination, communication and consultation fluent.’
‘Péter Vörös advises and represents clients in high-profile cartel, litigation and arbitration matters before Hungarian and European authorities and courts.’
Raiffeisen Bank Zrt.
- Representing Raiffeisen Bank Zrt., the Hungarian subsidiary of Raiffeisen Bank, in administrative litigation against a decision adopted in a repeated cartel procedure concerning the amount of the fine to be imposed on the client and the other parties for unlawful coordination regarding HUF-based mortgages.
KCG Partners Law Firm‘s litigation team is made up of ‘very responsive, agile and practical’ lawyers who have a solid foundation across various areas, namely employment, commercial and contractual disputes, as well as real estate and insolvency. International referrals and cross-border mandates are growing areas of work, owing to the firm's membership of the Ally Law network of international practices. U.S trained and qualified partner Levente Csengery and Rita Párkányi, also head of the French desk, jointly lead the practice.
Levente Csengery; Rita Párkányi
‘Responsiveness, proactivity, with a business-minded approach.’
‘Their dispute resolution practice is outstanding both in terms of number of associates and know-how. They are highly trained business-minded lawyers, are very proactive and are familiar with new technologies and the market.’
‘They are very responsive, agile and practical. These are key skills during these challenging times when clients need quick, short and concise legal advice in order to be able to quickly adapt to changes in the business environment.’
SNCF (Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français)
SBERBANK Magyarország Zrt.
BNP PARIBAS CARDIF
- Advised BNP Paribas Cardif Entities with respect to a commercial and employment disputes as well as in commercial and data protection matters.
- Defending SNCF in cross-border proceedings.
Noerr has a strong portfolio of German-speaking clients and its team is highlighted for its ‘knowledge of Hungarian and German law’. The firm handles litigation in local courts for German subsidiaries based in Hungary, and also acts for Hungarian entities in litigation in German courts. Viktor Füzi's practice spans breach of contract cases, tax disputes and environmental matters. Ákos Bajorfi handles corporate, banking and insolvency claims.
Viktor Füzi; Ákos Bajorfi
‘Knowledge of Hungarian and German law; broad assistance in connection to tax related matters and insolvency proceedings.’
‘Very good availability at short notice.’
Schwarzmüller Járműgyártó és Kereskedelmi Kft.
CLAAS KGaA mbH
thyssenkrupp Components Technology Hungary Kft.
RUAG Ammotec Magyarországi Zrt.
Diehl Aviation Hungary Kft.
thyssenkrupp System Engineering GmbH
Eurochem Agro Hungary Kft.
Optimum-Béta Ingatlanbefektetési Kft.
- Advising Thyssenkrupp Components Technology Hungary on the court procedure of warranty and damages claims in a lease dispute.
- Representing Schwarzmüller in a liability claim for damages.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda is instructed by Hungarian and multinational clients, particularly those from a German background, in contract law disputes, employment litigation and contentious IT and IP matters, often involving a cross-border element. Kinga Hetenyi has over 26 years of experience in commercial and contractual disputes. She is assisted by senior associate Alexandra Bognár, who leads the white-collar crime practice. She has acted for ERSTE Bank in various loan disputes and advised Le Chèque Déjeuner (now UP Group) in a damages action against the state of Hungary over the alleged violation of the international investment protection treaty.
Kinga Hetényi; Alexandra Bognár
‘The expertise of the staff is extensive. Work is fast and flexible and efficient.’
‘Desire to analyse in-depth all the aspects of the matter at hand. Also, offering a realistic cool-headed view on potential outcomes.’
‘Alexandra Bognar was very helpful, besides the legal work done she had several out-of-box suggestions on how to further investigate the matter and prepare.’
‘Very efficient, quick to answer, expert in what they do.’
‘Prompt and clear advice, swift consultation, and detailed informing of applicable jurisprudence.’
Swiss International Air Lines
Premium Leisure Invest AG (PLI)
ERSTE Bank Hungary Zrt
Benteler Autótechnika Kft
Salesianer Miettex Magyarország Kft
- Advised Apple on various legal proceedings including competition cases or commercial litigation.
- Advised Daimler on approximately 40+ litigation cases in which various plaintiffs try to enforce private law damage claims.
- Acting for Henri Simon Bratter, the private plaintiff in a litigation against Klára Balázs (defendant), a Hungarian celebrity and singer in a copyright infringement case.
Taylor Wessing Hungary largely handles IP disputes (primarily matters concerning trade marks and copyright), real estate disputes and COVID-19-related commercial litigation. IP and IT specialist Zoltán Novák is the main contact at the firm; his recent highlights included defending the State of Hungary in several high-profile cases (including class actions) filed in the US, including a partial dismissal of claims against Hungary and its public institutions in the $100m ‘Herzog‘ lawsuit. Commercial contracts and employment cases are his other areas of specialism.
‘Dr. Zoltán Novák – the training and mind of a professor in the body of a get it done litigator. Unique ability to thoughtfully article Hungarian legal rules and laws into practical cross broader disputes. English fluency and friendly client focus service is top notch.’
‘The team is extremely efficient and nimble. I cannot imagine working with another law firm in Hungary — I would work with this team on any matter.’
‘I have worked with Zoltan Novak for six or seven years. He is a fantastic lawyer who is good with big picture issues while still keeping an eye on details.’
Hungarian State, Museum of Fine Arts
Mango Hungary Kft.
Ganz-Danubius Kereskedelmi Kft.
- Representing Hungary and some of its public collections in a lawsuit filed by heirs of a Jewish art collector in the US District Court for the District of Columbia.