Corporate (including M&A) in Hong Kong
Clifford Chance is well-placed to handle innovative and complex M&A deals by fielding multi-disciplinary teams that draw on strength from its regulatory, IP, acquisition financing, and capital markets experts. It advises leading international and local enterprises on private M&A, public M&A, China inbound and outbound M&A, and multi-jurisdictional M&A. The practice acts for leading corporate, financial and private equity clients in transactions across the Asia Pacific region. Emma Davies is a China-focused Mandarin speaker, who is recommended for joint ventures. Amy Ho heads the Asia Pacific insurance practice and is noted for her experience in the insurance, consumer goods, and retail real estate sectors. Andrew Whan recently departed to Milbank.
‘Andrew Whan provides excellent personal service and coordinates his team to address our needs’.
‘Andrew is very knowledgeable, thoughtful and practical’.
New World Development / NWS Holdings
Dongfeng Motor Group
China Baowu Steel Group
Hong Kong Broadband Network
- Advised leading global asset manager Vanguard on its ground-breaking joint venture with Ant Financial to provide retail investment advisory services in China.
- Advised a consortium comprised of China Merchants Expressway Network & Technology Holdings Co. Ltd, China Merchants Union (BVI) Limited, Jiangsu Expressway Company Limited, Zhejiang Expressway Co. Ltd., Anhui Expressway Company Limited and Sichuan Expressway Co in their proposed acquisition of a 51% stake in ICA IC İçtaş Astaldi Üçüncü Boğaz Köprüsü ve Kuzey Marmara Otoyolu Yatırım ve İşletme A.Ş. (“ICA”).
- Advising as one of the principal counsels across all three investment tranches on a proposed $5bn recapitalisation plan announced by Cathay Pacific Airways Limited.
With combined expertise in private equity and corporate matters, Kirkland & Ellis is well-placed to advise on the increasing number of private equity-based cross-border M&A transactions in Asia. It has the capacity to advise on the US, English and Hong Kong law aspects of M&A deals. The firm covers the full range of transformational transactional work in Hong Kong and the PRC, with supporting debt finance and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) practices. The team is headed by seven partners, including Daniel Dusek, who acts for leading corporations and private equity investors on complex cross-border matters. Nicholas Norris is another key practitioner, with over 25 years of experience representing corporates, private equity investors and leading investment banks on a range of corporate matters. Michael Rackham and Tzi-Yang Seow were promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
Showa Denko K.K.
TPV Technology Limited
An investor consortium led by Mr. Bizuo (Tony) Liu, the Chief Executive Officer of Cellular Biomedicine Group Inc.
The founders of Topcast Aviation Supplies Company Limited
Cushman & Wakefield
Shougang Concord International Enterprises
Cartesian Capital Group
Hitachi, Ltd. and Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.
- Represented Showa Denko K.K. in connection with its proposed tender offer to acquire 100% interest in Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd for around $8.9bn.
- Acting as international co-counsel for an investor consortium in the proposed take-private of 58.com Inc. at a valuation of approximately $8.7bn.
- Represented Ligang Zhang, founder, chairman and chief executive officer of iKang Healthcare Group, Inc., as a member of the buyer consortium in the $1.5bn going private transaction of iKang.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is well-known for big ticket M&A deals in China and Hong Kong. It acts for large Chinese and multinational businesses in the TMT, financial institutions and consumer sectors, and is particularly experienced in advising new economy companies. Often acting for bidders, targets and financial investors, the firm often handles inbound and outbound cross-border M&A and private equity transactions. It advises on US, Hong Kong, Japanese and English law across the Asia-Pacific region. Key practitioner Julie Gao is recommended for private equity investments and dispositions. Jonathan Stone is another name to note, he represents bidders, sellers and target companies in cross-border merger and acquisition transactions. Recently promoted partner Shu Du handles high-profile M&A, and other strategic transactions.
BitAuto Holdings Limited
China YuHua Education Corporation Limited
Mubadala Investment Company PJSC
- Represented 58.com Inc. in its $8.7 bn going-private acquisition by a consortium of investors led by Quantum Bloom Group Ltd. and its subsidiary Quantum Bloom Company Ltd.
- Represented BeiGene, Ltd. (China) in its collaboration with Amgen Inc. for the commercialisation and development of 3 products in China and the joint global development of 20 oncology assets in Amgen’s pipeline.
- Represented Axiata Group Berhad in its $30bn proposed merger of equals with Telenor Group’s (Norway) Asia-Pacific business, across 10 countries.
Slaughter and May
The corporate team at Slaughter and May is noted for its experience in high-profile public takeovers and mergers, and private acquisitions and disposals in China. It counts major PRC private companies, SOEs, and Hong Kong and Asian blue chip listed companies amongst its clients. It works in tandem with leading independent law firms in the PRC, Asia and internationally to provide a seamless cross-border M&A offering across Asia. Head of team Peter Brien is the chairman of the Listing Committee of the Main Board and Growth Enterprise Market of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong. Brien advises corporate clients, private equity houses and investment banks on M&A deals. Other key practitioners include Lisa Chung, Benita Yu, Clara Choi and John Moore.
SoftBank Vision Fund
- Advising Lai Sun Garment (International) Limited (LSG) and Lai Sun Development Company Limited (LSD) on LSD’s conditional voluntary general offer to acquire all the shares in Lai Fung Holdings Limited (Lai Fung) not held by LSD or its wholly-owned subsidiaries and the corresponding offer to cancel all of its outstanding share options (the Offers).
- Advised FWD Group (FWD) on its acquisition of life insurance company SCB Life Assurance from Thailand’s largest lender, Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), and a related bancassurance arrangement with SCB, for 92.7 billion Thai baht ($3 billion).
- Advising Orient Overseas (International) Limited (OOIL), in relation to the sale of LBCT LLC to a consortium led by Macquarie Infrastructure Partners, and the entry into a 20-year terminal services agreement, for a total consideration of $1.78bn.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy’s Greater China team is split across Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai and provides advice on English, Hong Kong, US and Australian law. The Hong Kong office acts as a hub for Chinese inbound and outbound investment in the tech, consumer, real estate, financial services and life sciences sectors. The firm leverages mandates from multinational corporations, financial institutions, and Chinese SOEs and privately owned enterprises. Head of practice Will McAuliffe has over 25 years’ experience in M&A, and general commercial work. Counsel David Norman is recommended for cross-border joint ventures, M&A, and minority investments. Tess Fang joined as partner from White & Case.
‘The A&O team is very professional’.
‘They offer very comprehensive, well-planned services’.
‘The team provides very high quality of services’.
China Ping An Insurance
Greater Bay Area Homeland Development Fund
Singamas Container Holdings Limited
FTLife Insurance Company Limited
State Grid Corporation of China
- Advised China Resources Enterprise and HKEx-listed China Resources Beer (Holdings) Company on their long-term PRC-exclusive and worldwide non-exclusive strategic partnership and collaboration with the Heineken Group to the value of almost $4bn.
- Advised Reckitt Benckiser Group on the establishment of a joint venture for the distribution of its Hygiene Home products in the PRC, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau.
- Advised Singamas Container Holdings on the disposal of five subsidiaries principally engaged in the manufacturing and sale of standardised container to China COSCO Shipping Corporation at a consideration of $565m.
Baker McKenzie provides full end-to-end service in China and Hong Kong, incorporating specialist expertise in including tax, merger control, employment, pensions, litigation, and IP. It acts for Chinese businesses and SOEs domestically and internationally, advising on public and private M&A transactions. With deep experience in the nuance of regulatory matters, and the negotiation and execution of transactions, the firm is well-placed to handle deals in the healthcare, industrial, and materials industries. Head of practice Tracy Wut is recommended for M&A, and foreign domestic investments in China. Nancy Leigh retired.
China Yangtze Power Company
CITIC Metal Co., Ltd
INEOS Styrolution Group GmbH
Jin Jiang International
Tencent Holdings Limited
Trip.com Group Limited
Wolverine World Wide Inc
Yuexiu Property Company Limited
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline on the international aspects of the proposed acquisition of a global consumer healthcare business from Pfizer and proposed joint venture.
- Advised Yuexiu Property Company Limited on (a) Guangzhou Metro’s acquisition of a strategic stake (a 19.9% interest) in the company and the acquisition of an 86% interest in a project company; and (b) the acquisition of GZYX’s 51% interest in two new metro property projects located in Huangpu and Panyu districts in Guangzhou.
- Advised China Yangtze Power Company (CYPC) on its $3.59bn purchase of Sempra Energy’s Peruvian businesses, including its 83.6% stake in Luz del Sur S.A.A. (Luz del Sur).
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP handles high-value Chinese M&A deals, and inbound and outbound transactions across Asia. Working closely with its colleagues in the US, the firm provides antitrust and Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) advice to provide seamless assistance on multi-jurisdictional deals. The team leverages mandates in the TMT, financial institutions, retail, energy, healthcare and real estate industries. Miranda So leads the M&A and private equity practice; she acts for major corporations, private equity firms and investment banks on a various M&A, and private equity transactions. Counsel Sam Kelso is recommended for in cross-border M&A.
- Advising PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa (“GOJEK”) in connection with the investments by Facebook, PayPal, Google, Tencent and other investors, focused on supporting GOJEK’s payments and financial services business, GoPay.
- Advising Li & Fung Limited on its $926m proposed privatization by Golden Lincoln Holdings I Limited as the offeror by way of a scheme of arrangement. The scheme is subject to, among other things, Bermuda court sanction and independent shareholders’ approval of Li & Fung.
- Advised Comcast Spectacor on its joint venture with SK Telecom to form a global eSports team business to be named T1 Entertainment & Sports.
Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills focuses on M&A in Hong Kong and Greater China, and is well-versed in heavily regulated transactions. The firm is in an excellent position to provide corporate expertise on-the-ground in China through its joint operation with Chinese law firm Kewei. It acts for Chinese SOEs and companies listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in high-value and complex M&A deals, with a focus on the energy and TMT sectors. Jason Sung was recently appointed as head of M&A in Asia and is adept at handling public takeovers. Head of corporate in Greater China Matthew Emsley specialises in corporate finance work, including M&A, IPOs and secondary offerings. Tommy Tong has over 25 years’ experience in M&A and private equity transactions.
‘It is a solid well-rounded team with both traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese and English capabilities’.
‘If necessary, they are able to draw upon other legal teams in other jurisdictions quickly to solve the client’s problems’.
‘The team is extremely professional, legally sound, commercial and their response time is outstanding’.
‘The attention and care that Tommy Tong took on the deal was exceptional’.
Huaneng Renewables Corp. Ltd.
China Merchants Group
China Resources Enterprise
China Resources Capital Management
Adicon Holdings Limited
China National Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Company
Shunfeng International Clean Energy
Associated British Foods
CSSC Offshore & Marine Engineering (Group) Company Limited
Essentra Pte. Ltd.
Beijing Jinhong Investment and Development Company
Chongqing Jiangxiaobai Wine Co., Ltd.
SML Group Holdings Limited
- Advised Huaneng Renewables Corp. Ltd. on its privatisation as a voluntary general offer to acquire all the issued H shares of Huaneng Renewables, the deal value was over HK$16bn.
- Advised China National Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Company (CNODC) on its $26bn acquisition of 10% participation interest in Arctic LNG 2 project from Novatek.
- Advising Shunfeng International Clean Energy on a RMB 3bn (total value of the transaction was approx. RMB 4.5bn) sale of its solar power module manufacturing and plant management businesses to Asia Pacific Resources Development Investment.
Latham & Watkins LLP handles Greater China outbound and inbound acquisitions, with vast experience across negotiated and contested M&A matters in a wide variety of contexts. It is well-versed in acquisitions and dispositions in a broad range of industries, including those which are highly regulated and globally diverse. The team draws on expertise from its capital markets and banking and finance practices to offer a cohesive multidisciplinary approach to corporate transactions. Group head Simon Cooke focuses on private equity and M&A deals across the Asia-pacific region.
Other key lawyers:
Vipshop Holdings Limited
Warburg Pincus Asia LLC
Tencent Holdings Limited
Haier Electronics Group Co., Ltd.
The Carlyle Group
Vingroup Joint Stock Company Limited
China Jinmao Holdings Group Limited
- Advised buyer consortium led by Tencent and Hammer Capital on Bitauto’s $1.1bn privatisation and advising Tencent on consequential mandatory general offer for Yixin.
- Advised Amgen on its $2.7bn acquisition of a 20.5% stake in BeiGene and concurrently has entered into a strategic collaboration pursuant to which BeiGene will commercialize XGEVA®, KYPROLIS®, and BLINCYTO® in China and advance 20 medicines from Amgen’s innovative oncology pipeline in China and globally.
- Advised Carlyle Asia Investment Advisors Limited in the privatization of Hong Kong listed Asia Satellite Telecommunication, a Hong Kong-based company engaged in the provision of satellite telecommunication systems by a joint venture vehicle jointly and indirectly owned by Carlyle Asia Investment Advisors and CITIC Group Corporation.
The China mainstream corporate practice at Linklaters offer the full range of M&A work to a broad client base, which includes multi-national corporations, large international issuers, banks and investment banks. Under the leadership of Matthew Middleditch, who has over 35 years’ experience in the financial institution sector, the team advises on cross-border public and private mergers and acquisitions, bancassurance arrangements, joint ventures and general corporate matters. Gilbert Li, Iris Leung and Christopher Yip are other key name to note. Former practice head Robert Cleaver relocated to the London office.
‘The services provided by the team are not only highly professional and efficient, but also wide and comprehensive’.
‘Kevin Cheung’s personal level of professionalism is high’.
Charoen Pokphane Group
China Merchants Group
China Merchants Port
Suning International Group Co., Limited
Jardine Strategic Holdings Limited
Southeast Asia Commercial Joint Stock Bank
Joint Stock Commercial Bank For Foreign Trade of Vietnam (Vietcombank)
Ozner Water International Holding Limited
The Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited
United Overseas Bank Limited
PT Astra International Tbk
Xtep International Holdings Limited
PingAn Real Estate Capital Limited
Genting Hong Kong Limited
China International Capital Corporation Hong Kong Securities Limited
- Advised Charoen Pokphand Group on its $10.6bn acquisition of Tesco’s businesses in Thailand and Malaysia.
- Advised China Merchants Port on its strategic acquisition of interests in a portfolio of 10 terminals from CMA CGM.
- Advised Suning.com on the acquisition of 80% shares in Carrefour China.
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
With offices in Beijing and Hong Kong, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP handles a range of corporate and related matters, including M&A, capital markets, investment funds and banking and credit transactions. It acts for SOEs, businesses and financial institutions on cross-border deals in the US, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Australia and across Asia. Private equity is another area of focus for the firm, where it advises clients on strategic investments and fund formation. Key practitioner Ian Ho represents public and private corporations, private equity firms and other clients on transactions across the Asia-Pacific region. Celia Lam is the other key name in Hong Kong. Jonathan Hwang was promoted to partner.
Alibaba Group Holding Limited
Aluminum Corporation of China
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
The Blackstone Group (and portfolio companies)
Bona Film Group
Cainiao Smart Logistics Network
The Carlyle Group
China Life Insurance Company
China National Chemical Corporation
Citigroup Global Markets
iKang Healthcare Group
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (and portfolio companies)
Koubei Holding Limited
Morgan Stanley Private Equity
Primavera Capital Group
Sequoia Capital China Fund
Silver Lake Partners
Yunfeng Fund L.P
- Representation of KKR in its acquisition of certain international operations from Campbell Soup Company (“Campbell”). The transaction is valued at approximately $2.2bn.
- Representation of Blackstone in its approximately $462m acquisition of a majority stake in Essel Propack Limited, a leading global specialty packaging company and the largest global manufacturer of laminated tubes, which is listed in India.
- Representation of Ant Small and Micro Financial Services Group Co., Ltd. in its strategic investment in Asiaray Media Group Limited for approximately HK$146.3m.
Sullivan & Cromwell
Sullivan & Cromwell’s corporate team handles transactions that involve Greater China and Asia-Pacific companies or assets. It is active in the consumer, energy, fintech, manufacturing and TMT. Kay Ian Ng is a key practitioner. Michael DeSombre left the firm to become the United States Ambassador to Kingdom of Thailand.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP’s US public company experience makes it well-placed to advise on public-to-private transactions. Acting for leading global and Asian corporates and private equity sponsors, the firm handles cross-border M&A, with a focus on the healthcare, e-commerce and leisure industries. Its fully-integrated, on-the-ground acquisition finance team provides ancillary support to the corporate function. The team is able to provide coordinated advice on China, Hong Kong, US, Cayman Islands and English law. Head of practice Tim Gardner is recommended for high-profile M&A and private equity deals. Henry Ong is well-regarded for deal structuring and execution.
Mr. Jinbo Yao, Chairman and CEO of 58.com
Tianjin Zhonghuan Semiconductor Co. Ltd.
Anchor Equity Partners
Huanxi Media Group
- Advised Mr. Jinbo Yao, Founder, Chairman and CEO of 58.com on in the proposed take-private of the company, at a valuation of approximately $8.7bn.
- Advised Alibaba on the $2bn acquisition of Kaola from NetEase, Inc.
- Advised Huanxi Media Group on its strategic partnership with Bytedance.
Ashurst has an integrated team across Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai, under the leadership of Sydney-based Mark Stanbridge. It handles high-profile cross-border M&A and has noted experience in the banking sector, enabling it to leverage finance and capital markets expertise to support M&A transactions. Key client sectors include energy and resources, infrastructure, mining, retail and consumer, digital economy and venture capital. Managing partner of the Hong Kong office, Joshua Cole handles M&A and joint ventures across Asia. John Kim heads the Korea desk from Hong Kong. Melody He joined as partner from DLA Piper.
Hyundai Motor Group
Panda Green Energy Group Limited
CCB International Asset Management Limited
Choi Shun Investment Limited
BGC Partners and Ed Broking (Hong Kong) Limited
Macquarie Capital and Covanta Energy, LLC
- Advised Hyundai on the establishment of a $4bn joint venture with Aptiv PLC for the design, development and commercialisation of software technologies, services, systems, vehicle architecture and other related enabling offerings with respect to Level 4 and 5 autonomous driving.
- Acted as lead counsel for ITOCHU Corporation and advised on all M&A, global anti-trust, foreign investment, regulatory and financing aspects of the transaction.
- Assisted Choi Shun Investment Limited (Purchaser) on its purchase of an approximately 20% equity interest in a Hong Kong listed company, Ourgame International Holdings Limited from Jian Ying Ourgame High Growth Investment Fund (Seller).
Local Hong Kong firm Deacons has a long track record in cross-border corporate M&A. As a member of several global networks of law firms, such as Lex Mundi, World Services Group, and Interlex, the practice is well-placed to handle matters with an international aspect. It is vastly experienced in China market entry transactions and is able to offer support through its Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou office. Chinese SOEs and privately-owned enterprises are key client targets, which it advises on outbound investment and business activities in or through Hong Kong. Ronny Chow, Eugina Chan and Machiuanna Chu head the team. Canny Lau was promoted to partner.
‘Alexander Que has in-depth knowledge on the rules and regulations in relation M&A’.
‘Alexander Que is very responsive and always enthusiastic to work with’.
‘Alexander Que is very patient and is able to explain a difficult legal concept in a simply way to the client’.
‘Machiuanna Chu is very charming, exceptionally practical and deeply knowledgeable’.
‘Machiuanna Chu is exceptionally attentive, technically knowledgeable and pragmatic’.
‘Machiuanna Chu is always on top of her game’.
‘The team is both legally and commercially knowledgeable and always able to deliver professionally and efficiently’.
‘The team is very in tune with what’s happening in the market’.
Chuang’s Consortium International Limited
Goldin Financial Holdings Limited
Kerry Logistics Network Limited
Lai Sun group, including Lai Sun Garment (International) Limited, Lai Sun Development Company Limited, eSun Holdings Limited and Lai Fung Holdings Limited
Luen Thai Holdings Limited
Shimao Property Holdings Limited
The Wharf (Holdings) Limited
Wharf Real Estate Investment Company Limited
Wheelock and Company Limited
- Advising Mr. Peter Woo, Wheelock and Company Limited, The Wharf (Holdings) Limited, Wharf Real Estate Investment Company Limited and Harbour Centre Development Limited on the circa HK$47.5bn proposed privatisation of Wheelock and Company Limited.
- Advised Kerry Logistics on its disposal of the entire issued share capital of two wholly-owned subsidiaries (which owned warehouses in Chai Wan and Shatin, respectively) to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kerry Properties Limited at a total consideration of HK$3.6bn.
- Advised China Power Clean Energy Development Company Limited in relation to its de-listing by China Power New Energy Limited from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange by way of a scheme of arrangement under the Hong Kong Companies Ordinance.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP has particular strength in leveraged acquisitions, including buyouts and take privates, cross-border M&A deals. It also handles asset management and financial services transactions. Corporate governance is another specialism for the practice, here it handles the structuring and implementing of insider trading programs, compliance and due diligence procedures. Head of team William Chua is experienced in private equity, strategic M&A, finance and capital markets matters. Edwin Northover, who jointly heads the team, focuses on M&A, and joint ventures and distribution agreements in the insurance industry.
‘The team combines great legal expertise with business perception and commercial understanding’.
‘I appreciate Edwin Northover’s professionalism and ability negotiate with multiple parties’.
Credit Suisse Asset Management
Morgan Stanley Private Equity
Segantii Capital Management
Goldman Sachs Principal Investments Area
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice; Wilsonart International
- Representing Carlyle Group in itsUS$5 billion investment in, and the recapitalization (involving other private equity firms and sovereign wealth funds) of, American Express Global Business Travel.
- Advising Alibaba on a US$2.5 billion joint venture among Alibaba (a global digital commerce company), RDIF (Russia’s sovereign wealth fund), MegaFon (a pan-Russian operator of digital opportunities) and Mail.ru (the leading internet and IT company in Russia).
- Advising Resolution’s AUD 3 billion acquisition of the Australian and New Zealand wealth protection and mature businesses of AMP Limited.
Gibson Dunn’s Hong Kong office works closely with its counterparts in the US and Europe to provide a seamless service on multi-jurisdictional matters. It acts for Chinese and international private equity funds, companies and financial institutions. Areas of focus include take-private transactions, public company transactions and foreign direct investments into China. Head of team Graham Winter handles cross-border M&A, privatisations, joint ventures, private equity and international corporate finance matters. Yi Zhang, who splits his time between Beijing and Hong Kong, specialises in China corporate work.
‘Professional and efficient, able to quickly grasp customer needs and provide corresponding legal consulting services according to customer needs’.
‘Yi Zhang is very professional and does not waste customer time’.
‘Yi Zhang is very knowledgeable and maintains effective and timely communication’.
First Pacific Company
Melco International Development
D. E. Shaw
Meralco PowerGen Corporation
Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation
Anchor Equity Partners
- Advised NetEase on the circa $2bn sale of its cross-border e-commerce platform, Kaola, to Alibaba for a combination of cash and shares.
- Represented First Pacific Company Limited in connection with the sale by its Philippine affiliate, Metro Pacific Investments Corporation, of a 42.5% stake in its Philippine hospitals business to a consortium led by KKR & Co, for approximately $684.5m.
- Represented Melco International Development Limited in connection with the acquisition by its subsidiary, Melco Resorts & Entertainment Limited, of 19.99% of Crown Resorts Limited, a listed Australian company whose principal business is integrated resorts, for approximately $1.2bn.
King & Wood Mallesons
With its strong China presence, King & Wood Mallesons is well-positioned to handle international and domestic China M&A. The practice leverages mandates from the TMT, financial services, and energy and resources sectors. Head of team Sheldon Tse has strong PRC market knowledge and is well-versed in listed company work. Hayden Flinn, who jointly heads the team, handles a broad range of corporate matters across the Asia-pacific region.
Other key lawyers:
CEIEC (H.K.) Limited
Harbin Electric Corporation Co., Ltd.
New Hope Dairy Co., Ltd.
Central Culture Resource Group Limited
China Merchant Capital and Hanison Construction Holdings Limited
Strong Day Holdings Ltd.
Campbell Soup Company
Hengtong Optic-Electric Co Ltd.
Hanison Construction Holdings
- Advised CEIEC (H.K.) Limited (CEIEC), an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of China Electronics Corporation (CEC), on its approximately HK$4.6 bn privatisation of TPV Technology Limited (TPV) by way of a scheme of arrangement under the Bermuda Companies Act.
- Advised Harbin Electric Corporation Co., Ltd. on its approximately HK$3.1 bn privatisation of Harbin Electric Company Limited (H shares) by way of voluntary general offer and merger by absorption.
- Advised New Hope Dairy Co., Ltd. (New Hope Dairy) in its approximately RMB710m acquisition and subscription of the 9.28% issued shares of the Hong Kong-listed China Modern Dairy Holdings Ltd (China Modern Dairy).
With an integrated team across Hong Kong, London and New York, Mayer Brown handles cross-border transactions with ease. The firm offers advice on the full range of corporate matters and draws on strength from its partners in anti-trust, regulatory, tax, fund formation, investment management and private equity, offering a holistic approach to M&A. Head of team Hannah Ha is adept at handling foreign direct investment in China, cross-border M&A, private equity transactions and general corporate and commercial matters. Steven Tran and Paul Chen joined as partners from Hogan Lovells and DLA Piper, respectively.
China Overseas Land & Investment Ltd.
China Merchants Group
Dah Chong Hang
Sun Hung Kai
Merlin Entertainments Group
CapitaLand / Ascott
Shui On Land Limited
Tsingtao Brewery Company Limited
Principal International (Asia) Limited
Lai Sun Group
- Advised Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft with respect to its $91m investment in The Thai Credit Retail Bank Public Company Limited.
Morrison & Foerster has a strong focus on the TMT sector and handles matters in the related fields of e-commerce, data centres, life sciences and healthcare. Its dedicated TMT team in China enables the firm to offer seamless on-the-ground expertise across Greater China and beyond. Key practitioner Thomas Chou handles large M&A, and venture capital mandates. Vivian Yiu acts for multinational corporations and Chinese SOEs and private enterprises on cross-border transactions. Marcia Ellis, who co-heads the Asia private equity practice, is another name to note.
Softbank Vision Fund
NewQuest Capital Partners
Farallon Capital Asia
Bain Capital Credit
Ark Pacific Capital
- Advised Alibaba Group Holding Limited in Alibaba’s acquisition of a 33% equity interest in Ant Financial, China’s leading financial services company.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund in connection with an investment totalling $1.5 bn in Chehaoduo.
- Advising Science City Investment Co. Limited on a proposed unconditional mandatory cash offer by ABCI Capital Limited for and on behalf of Science City Investment Co. Limited, Mr. Tse Kam Pang, Leading Star Global Limited, Crisana International Inc., and Charming Future Holdings Limited to acquire all the issued shares of Royale Furniture Holdings Limited.
The corporate, M&A and securities team at Norton Rose Fulbright is noted for its expertise corporate structuring, commercial, governance and regulatory matters. It acts for clients in the financial, real estate, TMT, energy and natural resources, and life sciences sectors. The practice has deep experience in public M&A and draws on strength from its equity capital markets team for support. Head of team Psyche Tai handles takeovers, joint ventures, convertibles, schemes of arrangement and IPOs.
Other key lawyers:
‘They take practical approaches to resolve legal issues’.
‘They give value-added ideas for complicated commercial arrangements’.
BBI Life Sciences Corporation
China Dili Group (formerly known as Renhe Commercial Holdings Company Limited)
China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited
HSBC Insurance (Asia) Ltd
Shun Tak Holdings Limited
A Hong Kong local family
- Advised China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited on its AU$1.5bn (approximately $1bn) acquisition of Bellamy’s Australia Limited by way of a recommended scheme of arrangement.
- Acted for HSBC in its capacity as financial adviser to ADMIRAL POWER HOLDINGS LIMITED to privatise Wheelock and Company Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Shun Tak Holdings Limited on its formation of joint venture for a cross boundary transportation platform in the Greater Bay Area with China Travel International Investment Hong Kong Limited.
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison handles high-end transactions across the full gamut of M&A-related activities. Acting for buy- and sell-side clients, the firm handles multi-jurisdictional deals across Asia and around the world. Head of practice Betty Yap is noted for her experience in the TMT, retail, food and beverage, healthcare and real estate sectors. Jack Lange, who jointly heads the team, handles M&A and private equity investments.
State Grid Corporation
Dalian Wanda Group
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Advised Wumei on its EUR 1.9bn acquisition of Germany’s Metro AG’s retail, wholesale and cash and carry operations in China, including Metro AG’s majority interest in some 45 subsidiaries.
- Advising China-based utilities company State Grid International Development Limited (State Grid) in its $2.2bn acquisition of Chilquinta Energía S.A. (Chilquinta).
- Advised global investment firm KKR in its $794m acquisition of a majority equity stake in NVC Lighting Holding Limited’s (NVC Lighting) China lighting business (NVC China).
Reed Smith Richards Butler
Reed Smith Richards Butler acts for PRC-based businesses on outbound investments and offshore transactions. It also advises foreign entities on investments into mainland China. Denise Jong and Michael Pepper head up the team in Hong Kong. Zack Dong retired.
‘Reed Smith has been in the corporate market for a very long time and they are very familiar with the regulatory requirements’
‘As the firm is a global firm, I understand they have a lot of experience with working with people from different areas and different jurisdictions’.
‘Their team members understand the local culture and practices and that gives their client an edge when doing business in these areas’.
‘A very responsible team’.
‘Denise Jong is very professional, knows her work really well and has the experience to give very sensible advice’.
‘Denise Jong always puts clients first and is supported by a strong team’.
‘Delpha Ho is very professional, knowledgeable and responsive’.
‘I would definitely recommend these lawyers’.
Shearman & Sterling acts for large Chinese SOEs, financial institutions and well-known corporates on multi-jurisdictional M&A, and strategic transactions. The firm’s China-related M&A experience is spread across a broad range of sectors including TMT, infrastructure, energy, financial services and asset management. Head of practice Li Chen, who splits her time between Beijing and Hong Kong, handles corporate and private equity matters in Greater China and further afield.
‘The law firm’s offices in various countries cooperate with each other and can give our foreign and Chinese teams very timely and comprehensive support’.
‘Li Chen and his team are very dedicated, with rich industry experience and profound legal knowledge, and can always give clients comprehensive support’.
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
CarVal Investors, LLC
China Merchant Funds
China National Petroleum Company International/PetroChina
China State Construction Engineering Corporation
China Telecom Corporation (CTC)
China-LAC Co-operation Fund
Danone Asia Pte Ltd
Hubei Science & Technology Investment Group
InfrAlpha Advisors (Hong Kong) Limited
Jiangxi Railway Investment Group Corporation
RCIF Asset Management
Restaurant Brands International Inc. (RBI)
Shanghai Electric Group
Sino Ocean Group
State Grid International Development
- Advised China Telecom Corporation (CTC) on its joint venture with Udenna Corporation with respect to the joint venture’s telecommunications project in the Philippines. We are also advising the project company on the EPC and the financing.
- Advised Restaurant Brands International Inc. (RBI) on its franchise agreements with Popeyes Shanghai Restaurant Management Co. Ltd. (Popeyes Shanghai), pursuant to which Popeyes Shanghai plans to open more than 1,500 Popeyes restaurants in China, as well as the China regulatory matters in connection therewith.
- Advising China National Petroleum Company International/PetroChina, as the sole international counsel, in connection with the integrated upstream oil and downstream refinery in Brazil, in conjunction with Petrobras.
The corporate M&A and private equity team at Goodwin focuses on the TMT, life sciences, financial services, business service and real estate sectors. It is experienced in M&A, financing transactions, leveraged buyouts, stock and asset sales and joint ventures. Head of practice Douglas Freeman focuses on advising public and private companies, private equity firms and investment banking firms on M&A, public offerings and other corporate transactions. Yash Rana jointly heads the team.
China Silver Asset Management (Hong Kong)
Duff & Phelps
Falcon Edge Capital
FountainVest Partners (Asia) Limited
Hillhouse Capital Management
LGT Capital Partners
Lone Pine Capital
Softbank Vision Fund
Tybourne Capital Management
- Represented PAG (formerly known as Pacific Alliance Group in connection with its disposal of certain shares it held in NYSE-listed SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc.
- Represented Hong Kong-based TKK Symphony Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in its tender offer to purchase up to 25,000,000 of its ordinary shares at an aggregate purchase price of approximately $257.6m.
- Represented investment funds affiliated with TA Associates in the buyout of Accion Labs Holdings from Basil Technology Partners and Accion’s management.
With offices spread across, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius is well-placed to advice on Chinese-related corporate M&A transactions. It acts for foreign clients on joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions, dissolutions and other corporate activities in China. Edwin Luk is the global leader of the firm’s corporate and securities practice. Maurice Hoo heads the corporate M&A and private equity practice.
ATA Creativity Global
Shanghai Kuokun Investment Management Company Limited
BOCI Financial Products Limited
Kofu Hong Kong Holdings Limited
Meten International Education Group
- Advised Warburg Pincus on its $500m investment Series B round financing in Ziroom [Zi Ru], a China-based home-renting platform.
- Represented ATA Creativity Global, a NASDAQ-listed educational services provider, with respect to the leveraged management buyout of the company’s primary business.
- Advised Meten International Education Group and EdtechX Holdings Acquisition Corp. on a special purpose acquisition company focused on investing in the education services and education technology industry.
The corporate M&A team at White & Case is well-placed to advise on foreign direct investment, with its strong US presence and CFIUS expertise. It is experienced in structuring and executing complex cross-border transactions and has recently seen an uptick in corporate mandates from private equity clients and their portfolio companies. The team leverages mandates from the energy, mining and metals, automotive, financial services, manufacturing, packaging and consumer goods industries. Christopher Kelly heads the practice with over 30 years’ experience. Catherine Tsang left for Travers Thorp Alberga and Tess Fang left for Allen & Overy.
EQT, and its portfolio GPA Global
CAA China, LLC
Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners
- Representation of EQT Partners AB and its portfolio company GPA Global, a leader in premium packaging, sustainable packaging and display solutions based in China, on GPA Global’s bolt-on acquisition of Hub Folding Box.
- Representation of Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners, a New York based infrastructure private equity firm, on the acquisition of a majority interest in Swancor Renewable Energy Co. Ltd.
- Representation of Icon Group, a portfolio company of Goldman Sachs Principle Investment Area, in its acquisition of Hong Kong-based oncology clinic SunTech Medical Group.
The corporate team at Dechert handles complex complex cross-border M&A transactions across Asia, Europe, North America and South America. Head of practice Stephen Chan is noted for his expertise in corporate finance transactions, including public and private mergers and acquisitions, private equity, takeovers, REIT listings, restructuring, IPOs and general compliance matters. David Cho jointly heads the team. Maria Tan Pedersen joined as partner from Jones Day.
Fortune Group Holdings Limited
CLSA Capital Markets Limited
China Financial Services
New Century REIT
MIE Holdings Corporation
China Galaxy International Financial Holdings Limited
- Advising Sinopec on its Amur joint venture project with Russia’s SIBUR, developing a large integrated petrochemical project in Russia.
- Represented Chatchaval Jiaravanon on the acquisition of the global FORTUNE magazine media brand from Meredith Corporation Limited
- Advising a Beijing-based civil engineering company on various corporate issues including a coal mining project.
The Greater China Corporate Group at Eversheds Sutherland advises household name clients on the full corporate life-cycle. Leaning on its global platform, the firm is able to provide a cohesive cross-border service. Head of practice Charles Butcher is recommended for regional and international M&A and private equity projects. Stephen Mok, who jointly heads the team, counts Chinese SOEs, privately-owned enterprises and international investment banks amongst his clients. Roderick Lai was promoted to partner.
‘Excellent bench strength in the Corporate team and can cover international and Hong Kong matters’.
‘Charles Butcher is excellent, very practical and easy to work with’.
‘I’ve never seen a team that better marries legal risk and business risk in the same discussion’.
‘The team is empowered to make acceptable trade-offs, and keep critical momentum which ultimately substantially raises the probability of a successfully completed transaction’.
‘Stephen Mok is a great partner for matters with a PRC nexus, he bridges the cultural gap between China and the West with ease’.
‘The corporate team of Eversheds Sutherland is technically strong and very diligent’.
‘They have exceptional legal skills and knowledge of the market’.
‘The team is very strong technically and strives to provide excellent turn-around on material’.
Baird Capital Partners
Belt Road Investment Group
CGN Energy International Holdings Co., Limited
China-LAC Cooperation Fund
New World Development Company
Specsavers Optical Group
- Advised HNA Group on its HK$4.93bn sale of Hong Kong Express Airways to Cathay Pacific Airways.
- Advised Baird Capital on its majority acquisition of market-leading end-to-end audio-visual and video collaboration solutions provider Vega Global Group.
- Advised Quad/Graphics on its US$132m acquisition of advertising agency Periscope.
Following the arrival of Colin Law from Shearman & Sterling at the start of 2019, Fangda Partners continues to go from strength to strength in the corporate sphere. It handles large and complex cross-border M&A transactions, such as inbound and outbound acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and minority and growth capital investments, as well as strategic alliances and joint ventures. The firm works closely with its China team to provide seamless multi-jurisdictional advice. Vanessa Cheung is another name to note. Xiaotong Jia and Alice Zhu were promoted to partner. Mark Lehmkuhler joined as partner from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP.
China Huaneng Group
Haier Electronics Group
Li Dongsheng, Chairman of TCL
Ever Harmonic Global Limited
Wuxi Biologics (Cayman) Inc.
Huadian Fuxin Energy Corporation Limited
- Represented Brilliance China Automotive Holdings Limited on its disposal of 25% equity interest in BMW Brilliance Automotive Ltd. to BMW Group for a total consideration of RMB 29bn.
- Represented a consortium of investors to make a voluntary conditional cash offer to acquire all of the shares in Clear Media Limited, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, for $490m.
- Represented KKR in its acquisition from NVC Lighting Holding Limited,
Hogan Lovells is noted for its expertise advising Chinese companies seeking to invest abroad and foreign companies investing in China and Hong Kong. Jun Wei, who splits her time between Beijing and Shanghai, heads the team. Key practitioner Stephanie Tang handles public and private M&A, private equity, and capital markets matters. Laurence Davidson joined as partner from an in-house role at HNA. Jonathan Leitch joined as partner from DLA Piper. Tim Fletcher retired.
Jumei International Holding Limited
The buyer consortium
Tesca Group S.A.S.
Bobst Group SA
- Advised the special committee of Jumei International Holding Limited as its US legal counsel on the acquisition and going-private transaction value at circa $130m.
- Represented the buyer consortium in the $100m buyout transaction of Nasdaq-listed Gridsum Holding Inc.
- Advised Bobst Group SA on its acquisition of a majority stake in a Chinese privately-owned printing machine manufacturing company.
K&L Gates has offices across Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing and handles domestic commercial matters, as well as cross-border mandates. Its broad corporate M&A expertise includes inbound and outbound deals, including corporate, commercial and venture capital transactions and private equity fund investments. David Tang, who splits his time between Seattle, Beijing and Hong Kong, heads the team. Sook Young Yeu, Scott Peterman and William Ho joined as partner from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP and Guiping Lu joined as partner from Haiwen & Partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘The biggest business feature of the team is that it can efficiently provide professional legal advice that meets the client’s business needs based on the actual situation and requirements of the client’.
‘The advantage of this team is that the entire law firm implements global integrated management, and clients can enjoy all the relevant resources of the entire firm’.
‘The team provides good communication skills and deep understanding of customer industries’.
Beijing Hines Property Management Co., Ltd.
Greentown Education Investment Co. Ltd
Investor AB Limited
Luye Pharma Group
- Represented TCL Holdings before the Hong Kong Security and Futures Commission (“SFC”) on Hong Kong Takeovers Code issues arising from an intra-group structuring of TCL Corporation.
- Represented Investor AB Limited in connection with two sell-down transactions of shares in NSFocus Information Technology Co. Ltd.
- Advised a wholly owned subsidiary of HKSE-listed Greentown Service Group Co. Ltd (Greentown) on its acquisition of a majority interest (56 percent) in Montessori Academy Group Pty Ltd from inception to closing at an enterprise value of AUD 120m.
Minter Ellison takes a multidisciplinary approach to cross-border corporate M&A work, drawing on strength from its competition, tax structuring and acquisition finance experts. Areas of focus include hostile and recommended takeover bids, trade sales and acquisitions, private equity transactions, privatisations and mergers by schemes of arrangements. Fred Kinmonth and Barbara Mok head the team.
‘Reputable and strong team’.
‘Comprehensive services and a one-stop-shop’.
‘Extremely knowledgeable and well respected’.
‘Providing reliable solutions to resolve complex situations’.
‘The team’s experience is reasonable, efficient and professional’.
‘They have unique opinions on commercial terms and have a deep understanding of listing rules’.
‘The service us professional, nuanced and impartial’.
China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited
AviChina Industry & Technology Company Limited
Yuexiu Transport Infrastructure Limited
Fortunet E-Commerce Group Limited
Hopson Development Holdings Limited
Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited
- Acted for China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited in relation to its acquisition of 100% of the shares of Lion-Dairy Drinks Pty Ltd. from Kirin Foods Australia Holdings Pty Limited, for the consideration of AUD 600m.
- Acted for Yuexiu Transport Infrastructure Limited in relation to its acquisition of a controlling interest and corresponding shareholders loans in a group of PRC companies operating three expressways in Hubei Province for the consideration of approximately RMB 6bn.
- Acted for Hopson Development Holdings Limited in relation to its disposal of two indirectly wholly-owned subsidiaries (together with corresponding shareholder’s loans) which are shareholders of a PRC joint venture for the consideration of approximately RMB 1.95bn.
Paul Hastings LLP
Paul Hastings LLP is noted for its strength in outbound M&A transactions. It is experienced in the FinTech, life sciences and TMT spaces, and also handles real estate transactions. Raymond Li chairs the Greater China practice and acts for leading Chinese corporations and internationally renowned inbound investors into the Chinese markets. Vivian Lam is well-regarded for cross-border acquisitions and investments, and general corporate restructuring, with a focus on financial services clients. Brett King left for an in-house role at Nexwell. Jason Kuo left for King & Wood Mallesons.
Ping An Insurance
Alpha Investment Partners
City Football Group Limited
- Represented Jaguar Partners Asia and JHJ Logistics in the formation of a joint venture to acquire Brilliant Enterprise Management Consulting in Shanghai.
- Represented Phoenix Media Investment and Phoenix New Media on the $448m sale of 30.60% equity interest of Particle Inc. to Run Liang Tai Management Limited.
- Represented ARA Asset Management in its formation of a partnership with Straits Real Estate and ICBC International for the RMB 2.42bn ($347m) acquisition of Shanghai retail mall Sanlin InCity.
Proskauer Rose LLP’s private equity and real estate platform is complemented by its corporate M&A offering in Hong Kong. With a focus on hospitality, the firm also advises clients in the real estate, healthcare, entertainment and finance sectors. The team is headed by Hong Kong-based Jeremy Leifer and Yuval Tal and Ying Li, who split their time between Beijing and Hong Kong. Vivian Ho, who was recently promoted to specialist M&A consultant, is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Accor – Huazhu
Accor – Tribe
Galaxy Entertainment Group
- Advising long-time Barcelona-based client Grifols S.A. in its entry into a strategic alliance with Chinese blood plasma company, Shanghai RAAS Blood Products Co Ltd.
- Advised long-time client Accor in its agreement to sell an approximately 5% stake in Huazhu Group Limited for $451m
- Advising Partners Group in the disposal of a portfolio of public securities of a manufacturing company listed in Hong Kong.
Ropes & Gray LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP handles corporate M&A matters across Asia Pacific, the US, and the UK. Large Chinese corporates and private equity firms are at the core of the firm’s client base. Key client sectors include technology, healthcare and life sciences. Practice head James Lidbury handles M&A, LBOs, corporate governance and cross-border deals with a US or China aspect.
Baring Private Equity Asia
- Advised Alibaba Group in its Strategic Partnership with Richemont and Joint Venture with YOOX Net-A-Porter Group (YNAP).
- Represented NetEase on a circa $700m investment from Alibaba and Yunfeng Capital.
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia on its investment in JD Health.
With over 40 years’ experience in Greater China, Stephenson Harwood handles private and public M&A, greenfield joint ventures, and general corporate and commercial work. Head of team Paul Westover advises on acquisitions and disposals across Asia. Jane Ng jointly heads the team. Marco Pocci and Penelope Shen both joined as partner from Winston & Strawn LLP and Kwok Yih & Chan, respectively. Michelle Chung was promoted to partner.
China Development Bank Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
SOCAM Development Limited
The joint provisional liquidators of CECEP COSTIN New Materials Group Limited/ PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Acted as the Hong Kong legal advisers to China Development Bank Financial Leasing Co., Ltd. on a sale and purchase agreement in relation to the acquisition of a Hong Kong-incorporated holding company of a vessel.
- Acted for SOCAM Development Limited on its disposal of 58% shareholding in a company incorporated in Hong Kong which holds a majority stake in a company incorporated in the PRC principally engaged in manufacturing and trading of cement.
- Acted for joint provisional liquidators of CECEP COSTIN New Materials Group Limited on a proposed acquisition of a real estate portfolio .
Addleshaw Goddard acts for companies and investors in early stage investments and later stage exits, including IPOs. Areas of focus include M&A, private equity, joint ventures, foreign direct investment, corporate finance and commercial transactions. New York and Hong Kong-qualified Andrew Yang heads the team.
‘A very professional team that responded to queries promptly and with good subject matter expertise’.
‘Andrew Yang was pleasant to work with and is commercial-minded’.
‘Andrew Yang’s experience helps guide transactions to a smooth conclusion’.
‘The team is efficient and professional’.
‘The passion was amazing and the ability to take away problems invaluable’.
‘Smooth global co-operation’.
‘Unlike some larger law firms, the partners of this team spend more time and energy on client projects, making clients feel valued’.
‘The quality of service is very satisfactory’.
CM Seven Star Acquisition Corporation
No Ordinary Designer Label Limited (trading as: Ted Baker)
- Advising CM Seven Star Acquisition Corporation, a NASDAQ listed special purpose acquisition company, on a $454m acquisition of Kaixin Auto Group, a subsidiary of NYSE listed Renren Inc.
- Advising Ted Baker, a UK public company on its joint venture in Hong Kong and China, which aims to drive long term expansion of Ted Baker in these markets.
- Advising 99.co on its merger with the Singapore and Indonesia entities of the REA Group known as realestate.co.au under a newly formed joint venture company.
Under the leadership of Chris Williams, the corporate and commercial department at Howse Williams handles M&A transactions in the mid-market space across East Asia. It acts for public companies on M&A, and regulatory and compliance work. Other areas of focus include corporate finance, direct investment and corporate restructurings and reorganisations.
‘Howse Williams has the international reach and local expertise, whilst keeping modest and practical’.
‘Chia Ching Tan is experienced in cross-border M&A transactions, and is quick and familiar with doing businesses in Hong Kong, China and South East Asia’.
‘Brian Ho has the experience and ability to see issues from different perspectives, which not all lawyers possess’.
‘Chia Ching Tan is quick in giving her responses, provides alternative solutions during deadlocks and ensures deals are done in a satisfactory manner’.
‘Chia Ching Tan is hands-on in leading transactions, and leads her team members really well so that clients are always taken care of’.
Deson Development International Holdings Limited and two other shareholders
A listed company in Thailand which provides media service with a network coverage in Thailand
Hanergy Thin Film Power Group Limited
Shareholders and Management of AQM
An online e-commerce platform operating in Hong Kong, Taiwan, the PRC and Southeast Asia (the “Platform”)
DA Wolf Investments I Limited
Starlite Holdings Limited (stock code: 403)
Starrise Media Holdings Limited
- Advised Deson Development International Holdings Limited and two other shareholders on the disposal of controlling stake in Deson Construction International Holdings Limited.
- Acted for Hanergy Thin Film Power Group Limited as its Hong Kong legal advisers in relation to the scheme of arrangement proposed by its controlling shareholder and its subsequent de-listing from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advising selling shareholders and management of AQM in relation to the sale of a quality inspections group, operating globally, to Eurofins.
O'Melveny handles M&A, and investing in and disposing of businesses and assets for international and domestic, public or private clients. Key client sectors include technology, e-commerce, life sciences, real estate, entertainment and media, energy, manufacturing and consumer. Nima Amini and Edwin Kwok head up the Hong Kong practice.
‘The corporate team has a very good reputation in the market, with lawyers trained from top-tier law firms.
‘They are excellent in resolving problems and always meet deadlines’.
‘Edwin Kwok is very impressive in terms of managing clients and legal matters’.
‘Edwin Kwok is technically strong and motivates others to work towards the same goal’.
‘Nima Amini is always available for consultation and has a terrific team to back him up when the need arises’
‘Nima Amini is very commercial and uses great judgement in working through novel and difficult situations’.
‘They have a fantastic group of very commercial and smart lawyers’.
‘Work is completed to an excellent standard and always in a timely manner’.
Consortium in Going-Private Acquisition of SORL Auto Parts
Essence International Capital Limited
UP Fintech Holding Limited
Founders of Nanjing USA, Inc.
The Public Investment Fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
GIC Private Limited
Kordis Holding Limited
Shenzhen Distinct Healthcare Investment Consulting Co., Ltd.
- Advised a buyer consortium on its $91m acquisition of SORL Auto Parts in a going-private transaction.
- Advised Viasat in its strategic partnership with China Satellite Communications.
- Advised Weichai Power on its joint venture with Ballard Power Systems.
Independent Hong Kong firm Tanner De Witt handles a broad range of corporate and commercial matters. Practice head Eddie Look focuses on acquisition of shares and businesses, private equity, structuring of companies and commercial documentation. Tim Drew, who jointly heads the team, is adept at handling M&A. Jan Möller was promoted to partner.
‘The corporate Law department at Tanner De Witt consists of a robust team of lawyers with diverse backgrounds’.
‘The team has substantial expertise in facilitating cross-continental M&A deals’.
‘Tanner De Witt impressed me as a large law firm of very high international standard operating professionally and paying attention to every detail’.
‘Eddie Look is a lawyer with very well-balanced commercial knowledge and awareness, he is highly efficient and readily available’.
‘Tim Drew is reliable, responsive and flexible’.
‘Tim Drew is an experienced corporate lawyer who adapts to the needs of the client’.
Hong Kong Rugby Union
Rochdale Spears (leading furniture manufacturer)
China Cinda (HK) Asset Management
China Shandong Group
ROLFO S.p.A (major Italian producer of truck superstructures)
- Advised a large state-owned enterprise in Shenzhen on subscribing to a large number of H shares worth over HK$2.5 bn.
- Advised Hplus Investment on acquiring the entire share capital of a licensed insurance brokerage firm worth HK$5.5m.
- Advised China Cinda (HK) Asset Management in a contentious restructuring of a well-known hotel in Hong Kong.