Corporate and M&A in Guernsey
Carey Olsen handles the Guernsey aspects of heavyweight M&A deals, including public M&A and private equity deals. Tony Lane and Tom Carey handle complex cross-border M&A deals, with Andrew Boyce's practice including deals involving institutional investors, crossing over with his fund formation practice. Annette Alexander is another notable partner. is a key senior associate for M&A work. Senior associates Gemma Campbell and John Scanlan are also highly regarded.
Tom Carey; Ben Morgan
Other key lawyers:
‘A serious quality outfit whose legal and commercial knowledge in Guernsey is second-to-none.’
‘If it’s already been done in Guernsey, Ben Morgan and his team were no doubt the trailblazers, and if not, he is a go-to man to do it for the first time.’
‘Annette Alexander always tries to come up with solutions in terms that lay clients can understand – she is also very good when ideas are being bounced around at an early stage to avoid further problems down the line.’
‘Gemma Campbell is an amazingly talented lawyer with the right mix of legal and commercial knowledge.’
JTC Fund Solutions
Terra Firma Capital Partners
Royal London Asset Management
Picton Property Income
Blue Water Energy
- Advised The Stars Group, owner of PokerStars, on its purchase of Sky Betting & Gaming for cash and shares from CVC Capital Partners and Sky.
- Advised Jura Acquisition Limited, a consortium backed by among others Dalmore and Equitix, on its purchase of John Laing Infrastructure Fund for £1.45bn.
- Advised Blue Water Energy on a joint investment alongside Blackstone in in Mime Petroleum, which is focused on Norwegian assets.
- Advised Terra Firma Capital Partners on its purchase of Finnish real estate company Parmaco from MB Funds, a Finnish private equity house, for €400m.
- Advised Stobart Group on defending an attempt by a minority shareholder to eject the company’s chairman.
Mourant covers the range of Guernsey corporate work, from Guernsey corporate structures holding UK real estate through to locally significant deals with assets on-island. Darren Bacon's practice includes Guernsey elements of heavyweight UK real estate deals, as well as public M&A. John Lewis is another notable for real estate work. Helen Wyatt has expertise in corporate service provider deals, and handles work for leading names in private equity and their portfolio companies. John Rochester is also active in heavyweight deals in highly regulated sectors, including public M&A, as is Frances Watson. Counsel Alex Davies has a track record in doing public M&A, as has senior associate Alana Gillies.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Mourant team is great to work with, they are very knowledgeable, but at the same time friendly and they work well under time pressure’.
‘Alana Gilles and Helen Wyatt are very talented, responsive and have a vast knowledge of the legal landscape in Guernsey. They understand client needs and provide clear and concise advice. I have worked with them for the past 3 years and they are my go-to counsel for Guernsey advice’.
European Forest Resources Holding
John Laing Infrastructure Fund
- Advised Sky Betting and Gaming on the sale of the company to The Stars Group for $4.7bn.
- Advised John Laing Infrastructure Fund on the samle of the company via Guernsey scheme of arrangement to a consortium led by Dalmore Capital and Equitix Investment Management.
- Advised Elm Bidco on a takeover and take-private of a listed insurance company.
- Advised Raksha Energy Holdings on its purchase and take private of AIM-listed Guernsey company Mytrah Energy, which owned 1.7GW of renewable assets in India.
- Advised the shareholders of Nerine International Holdings on the sale of the company to PraxisIFM.
Ogier covers the gamut of corporate work across sectors, handling work for asset managers, banks, insurancers and other clients. Bryon Rees handles a range of M&A deals, including ones featuring locally regulated businesses with global operations. Marcus Leese has restructuring expertise, as does Craig Cordle, among other work (Cordle handles competition law). Tim Clipstone joined from Maples Group in Tortola, bringing with him BVI expertise - which is also contributed by well-regarded senior associate Diana Collas.
Appleby handles many deals with challenging US elements, and also has a key strength in restructuring and distressed M&A. The 'very commercial and responsive' Jeremy Berchem is the key lawyer in a team which has handled inter-island deals in the corporate service provider space.
‘A personable team with a broad skill-set.’
‘Very responsive and highly adaptive.’
BMO Real Estate Partners
Oak Trust Group
Willis Towers Watson
- Advised Expro Group on the Guernsey elements a pre-pack insolvency governed by US law.
- Advised two gambling companies on the purchase of NYX Gaming Group via a Guernsey scheme of arrangement.
- Advised GBGI Limited (an AIM-listed Guernsey company) on its sale to Further Global Capital Management.
- Advised the Victus European Student Accommodation Fund on the sale of three Guernsey companies owning student housing in the UK.
- Advised PraxisIFM on its purchase of Bahamian company Nerine International Holdings.
Collas Crill covers the offshore corporate piece, with real estate deals and restructuring forming sources of interesting recent work. Paul Wilkes has a track record of handling international real estate deals, and Wayne Atkinson has a practice covering matters ranging from corporate restructuring to matters in highly regulated sectors. Sean Cheong also has corporate structuring expertise.
Channel Islands Property Fund
Prudential Insurance Corporation of America
Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund
The Liberation Group
India Capital Growth Fund
Rothschild Private Wealth
- Advised Cedrus Invest Bank on the Guernsey aspects of a €24m purchase of a site in Houthaven, Amsterdam.
- Advised Warburg in its sale of two Guernsey SPVs owning London real estate: WH 101 Old Hall and WH 90 Queen St.
- Advised Life Company Consolidation Group on the Guernsey elements of its purchase of Generali Worldwide Insurance Company for €409m.
- Advised the joint liquidators of Canargo Limited on a proposed sale of assets, namely interests in joint ventures owning oil and gas interests in Georgia.
- Provided Guernsey and BVI law advice to Cubic Property Fund on its sale of £75m of real estate assets.
WALKERS works with leading UK and international firms on a range of international deals, as well as handling agenda-setting local work. Many mandates are cross-border with the BVI and Cayman Islands. Cross-border restructurings are another key area of expertise, while the firm is particularly popular with Middle Eastern and Asian clients. The key partners in the team are Sam Shires and Matt Sanders, with Stephen Ozanne a key senior counsel.
‘The corporate team is friendly, reactive, efficient and very approachable – the quality of work is excellent and great value for money.’
‘Matt Sanders is a key point of contact for corporate service providers regarding challenging clients.’
‘Senior counsel Kim Paiva is approachable, responsive and friendly.’
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Asset Risk Consultants
International Administration Guernsey
Stafford Capital Partners
- Advised Stafford Capital on its purchase of Phaunos Timber Fund for $259.1m in a hostile takeover using Guernsey’s squeeze-out provisions.
- Advised Telford Offshore on the cross-border restructuring of Sea Trucks Group.
- Advised Apex Group on its purchase of Ipes from Silverfleet Capital for £150m.
- Advised F&C Real Estate on the Guernsey law aspects of deals concerning UK real estate.
- Advised Martel Maides on the sale of the company to Savills.
Bedell Cristin handles a range of work in the corporate space, with particular exposure to the financial services industry and the UK real estate market. Richard Sharp, among other work, handles complex mandates concerning technical points of Guernsey company law, as well as cross-border M&A.
Other key lawyers:
‘The corporate team is very professional, knowledgable about how to do deals and responsive.’
‘It has great international links for projects that require overseas involvement.’
‘Richard Sharp is quick to grab the important points in a transaction and get them suitably incorporated into the documentation.’
‘Richard Sharp is always in control.’
At Ferbrache & Farrell LLP, the 'well-respected' Gavin Farrell is the main partner in a team which handles on-island deals, work for private equity and complex corporate work - he typically works with senior associate Natalie Le Cras. While the firm is only present in Guernsey, it is popular for inter-island referrals from Jersey's independent firms.
Other key lawyers:
‘A boutique firm with long experience – its partners had previously worked in large offshore firms.’
‘The small team is tight-knit and responsive.’
‘Gavin Farrell has an outstanding reputation – he has a reassuring and fresh approach for solving problems.’
‘Gavin Farrell ensures that the level of service is much better than one would get at a large firm.’
‘Natalie Le Cras is a top-notch lieutenant to Gavin Farrell – she is very thorough.’
Financial Services Opportunities Investment Fund
Hanseatic Asset Management
HitechVision Asset Solutions
The International Stock Exchange
- Advised the company on the restructuring of a joint venture vehicle, through which the fund owns a stake in AFL Insurance Brokers.
- Advised the company on the structuring of a Guernsey company with numerous classes of shares, some of which thought extinct.
- Advised on the sale of Grand Havre Holdings, which owns the Peninsula Hotel in Guernsey.
- Advised Ravenscroft on its purchase of a 25% stake in MXC Capital.
- Advised Ravenscroft on its purchase of Royal London’s cash management arm.
AFR Advocates has a general corporate practice, including competition law matters. Peter Stahelin is the key partner for this work, which also includes corporate governance advice. The firm's clients include regulators, private and public companies, banks, financial institutions, insurance companies and high net worth individuals.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Saffery Champness Management International, a family trust, on the sale of equity investments in a CIS dairy products manufacturer.