Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah has a first-rate banking and finance practice that has earned an excellent reputation for its work in high-value transactions in Ghana. Joint heads of department Seth Asante and Frank Nimako Akowuah are well regarded practitioners. The team acts for a sizeable number of major domestic and international banks in the Ghanaian market on the full range of financing matters including project and infrastructure financing in addition to asset financing. The practice is also highly regarded for its work on various regulatory matters relating to the financial services and securities industries. It also has vast experience in restructurings, M&A and capital raising work as well as having considerable skill in due diligence exercises.
Banking and finance in Ghana
Seth Asante; Frank Nimako Akowuah
‘Seth Asante is superb – he is a sophisticated finance lawyer who knows what he is doing and how things are done.’
‘Seth Asante – always was a super star, is still a super star and will continue to be a super star.‘
African Export-Import Bank
Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO)
Macquarie Bank Limited
Ghana International Bank
Africa Trade Finance Limited
Izwe Savings and Loans Plc
Ghana Amalgamated Trust Plc
Tallmast Company Limited
Moringa SCA SICAR Investment in B-Bovid Limited
Oasis Africa Fund
ENSafrica has a dedicated banking and finance team that is well known for its work on major cross-border deals. The team has been particularly active recently in advising on the financing aspects of key infrastructure projects. Other sector strengths include healthcare in addition to oil and gas. Paa Kwesi Morrison has considerable experience in advising financial institutions, while Rachel Dagadu specialises in several areas such as project finance and banking. Elikem Nutifafa Kuenyehia has left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Paa Kwesi Morrison; Rachel Dagadu
‘Country knowledge and first-rate legal knowledge. I have worked closely with Rachel Dagadu for many years. She is a first-rate lawyer. Responsive and hands on. Always a pleasure to work with.’
‘Responsive and consistent with the advice.‘
Standard Chartered Bank
Absa Bank Limited
Hungarian Export-Import Bank Private Limited Company
GHL Bank Plc
The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
Mauritius Commercial Bank
International Finance Corporation
Israel Discount Bank
Hungarian Export-Import Bank Private Limited Company
- Acting for various banks in advising on a $480m facility to Early Power Limited to finance the construction of a 400MW LPG-fired combined-cycle gas turbine plant and associated LPG fuel storage and transportation infrastructure.
- Advised Deutsche Bank Spa on a major transaction which involved a review of both the commercial and SACE facility agreements for the loan to the Ministry of Finance, the drafting of legal opinions and advising on the procurement processes for the awarding of the contract for the expansion and rehabilitation of the Keta Water Supply System.
- Advised various banks on the financing for the design, development, construction, installation, operation and maintenance of a liquefied natural gas terminal infrastructure at the port of Tema in Ghana.
Kimathi Kuenyehia leads an excellent team at Kimathi & Partners, Corporate Attorneys that advises banks, development financial institutions and export credit agencies on the full spectrum of financial products. It is adept at handling major asset financing deals, advising on corporate and investment grade lending as well as derivatives and real estate financing. It also garners praise for its work in the fintech sector in addition to Islamic financing, leveraged and acquisition financing and projects and infrastructure financing. The practice is skilled too at handling other areas such as restructuring and insolvency matters as well as commodities work. Other key clients include some major multinational corporations.
Ecobank Development Corporation/ Ecobank Limited
National Investment Bank
Development Bank of South Africa
First Atlantic Bank
- Advised a consortium of banks including Ecobank, Stanbic Bank, Ghana Commercial Bank, Barclays Bank, Fidelity Bank, and Standard Chartered Bank on a proposed bid for the $500m GETFUND syndicated medium-term facility.
- Advised Development Bank of South Africa on its $30m term facility to BitPesa for the expansion of BitPesa’s business in Africa – it is acting as local counsel on the transaction and advising on Ghanaian law compliance of all transaction documents and also advised on the security structure and drafted the security document and registered and perfected the security.
- Advised Danske Bank on the enforceability of a credit facility agreement for a c. EUR62m facility to the Government of Ghana – advised on all aspects of the transaction including a review of the credit facility agreement, the granting of tax waivers by Ghana’s Parliament, and the commercial contract between the Government of Ghana and Munck Civil Engineers A/S.
JLD & MB Legal Consultancy
JLD & MB Legal Consultancy has a wealth of experience of various banking and financing matters. The team routinely advises on corporate and project financing as well as trade and commodity financing. Other areas of expertise include advising on syndicated lending. Clients include local and international banks and financial institutions as well as international investors. Head of chambers is Merene Botsio Benyah, who is one of the key members of the department.
Merene Botsio Benyah; Lily Acquaye; Zoe Phillips Takyi-Appiah; Akosua Apea Osafo
BP Oil International Limited
Momentum Metropolitan Holdings Limited
Kinross Africa S.L.
Mitsui & Co Ltd.
Yinson Production West Africa Limited
Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited
Zeepay Ghana Limited
Iron Ridge Resources
Cardinal Resources Limited
mPharma Ghana Limited
Access Bank (Ghana) Plc
Republic Bank (Ghana) Limited
- Advised the Government of Ghana on the 2019 and 2020 Eurobond issuance.
- Advised Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited on the structuring and negotiation of its liability management programme that was valued at GHS5bn for the Government of Ghana.
Reindorf Chambers fields a versatile team that is well equipped to handle all aspects of major national and international financial transactions for banks and corporates. The practice is also well versed in various regulatory matters. Names to note are Fui Tsikata and Kizzita Mensah. Mensah is particularly recommended for his experience advising lenders on the restructuring of loans.
With Theophilus Tawiah at the helm at WTS Nobisfields the practice frequently advises companies on acquisition financing, asset financing and derivatives. It is also experienced in structured financing, real estate financing as well as trade and export financing. Other areas of expertise include advising on insolvency and restructuring matters. In addition the practice is well placed to advise banks on various regulatory issues.
‘The team at Nobisfields is in a continuous process of building its knowledge database of current laws and regulations across various sectors and technical subjects from investments to derivatives to structuring which makes it easier in structuring complex transactions. The team’s strength is its adaptability to modern trends.’
‘Theophilus Tawiah is an astute, patient and knowledgeable lawyer who is always at your service and always comes in for you at the last moment especially regarding deadlines. You can’t miss deadlines with him.’
‘WTS Nobisfield is unique because the team understands our specialised services and niche market. The lawyers provide us with additional weight in our legal and tax issues to complement our highly focused and niche customer services. The partners are leaders in Ghana tax law, corporate law, and securities and investment.’
‘The lawyers advise with ease and always have the clients’ needs at the top of the agenda.’
‘Theophilus Tawiah is very knowledgeable.’
‘The work was well presented and covered all that was requested. The firm is quite professional compared to other firms.’
‘Enjoyed working with Mr. Theophilus Tawiah, very professional and very understanding.’
OM Bridge (Pty) Limited
Standard Bank South Africa
NewCase Capital Limited
Wangara Green Venture Capital Company Limited
Monarch Capital Limited
Envisionit Group of Companies
- Advising OM Bridge (Pty) Limited on the licensing regime and financial regulations that are applicable to its activities.
- Advising Standard Bank South Africa on various payment services and systems.
- Advised Wangara Green Venture Capital Company Limited on funding Cleanearth Scientific with GHS3.25m by way of equity and quasi-debts.