Banking and finance in Ghana
Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah's banking and finance practice is jointly led by Seth Asante and Frank Nimako Akowuah, who acted as Ghanaian counsel to Afreximbank on a $150m currency swap arrangement with the Bank of Ghana. The firm acts for major domestic and international banks in the Ghanaian market.
Seth Asante; Frank Nimako Akowuah
African Export-Import Bank
Union Bank UK
Ghana International Bank
Standard Chartered Bank
- Acted as Ghanaian legal counsel to Societe Generele on a $50m bilateral uncommitted trade and commodities facilities to Ebony Oil & Gas Limited Financing to finance the general trading activity and more specifically to finance the purchase, storage and resale of goods into Ghana.
- Acting as Ghanaian legal counsel to Union Bank UK Plc on a $7.5m facility to Osam Energy Company Limited for purchase of petroleum product for onward delivery and storage in a local tank farm under a collateral management agreement.
- Acting as legal advisers to Ghana International Bank (GHIB) on a $30m on-demand revolving credit line facility to ECG for general corporate purposes including payments to suppliers and the issuance of trade-related instruments and other consumables.
ENSafrica's practice covers a broad range of matters, including those involving leveraged finance, regulation of the financial services industry and debt finance. Elikem Nutifafa Kuenyehia jointly leads the team with Paa Kwesi Morrison, who is advising the Standard Bank of South Africa on a $30m senior term loan facility to be granted to Promasidor Holdings to support the working capital requirements of Promasidor’s subsidiaries and for general corporate purposes.
Paa Kwesi Morrison; Elikem Nutifafa Kuenyehia
The African Development Bank
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Advising ING Bank on the grant of a loan facility to the Ministry of Finance to finance the construction of NVTI Facilities.
- Advising GuarantCo on a $562m facility to Early Power Limited to finance the construction of a 400MW LPG- fired combined cycle gas turbine plant and associated LPG fuel storage and transportation infrastructure.
- Advising Fidelity Bank on its $20m acquisition of an existing debt facility provided by Mamlaka Africa Limited to QG Ghana Hotel Holding Limited.
Kimathi & Partners, Corporate Attorneys' practice is notable on financing transactions, particularly in the mining and oil and gas sectors. The firm advises domestic and international clients.
Ashong Benjamin & Associates Lawyers
Ashong Benjamin & Associates Lawyers is active in the banking and finance arena, with senior partner David Addo-Ashong having specialist expertise in this area. Also recommended is senior partner Ekua Hayfron Benjamin, who has experience of advising banks on operational issues, as well as finance transactions.
Ntrakwah & Co
Reindorf Chambers handles domestic and cross-border finance transactions for banks and corporates, and it is also highly active in regulatory matters. Fui Tsikata, who has been an active practitioner for over 40 years, jointly leads the team with Kizzita Mensah. Mensah has experience of advising lenders on the restructuring of loans.
Fui S. Tsikata; Kizzita Mensah
Eaton Towers Ghana Limited
West Africa Emerging Markets Growth Fund
African Import-Export Bank
C Nergy Ghana Limited
Standard Bank of South Africa
- Advice to lenders in relation to the proposed restructuring of the existing loans to a Ghanaian Borrower, the proposed change of control of the Borrower and related changes to financing and shareholder arrangements, and proposed changes to certain project agreements and related documents.
- Advice to lenders in relation to the financing of a port infrastructure project in Ghana.
- Advised a client in relation to a US$5million financing of the construction of a storm drain in the Northern Region of Ghana.