With Seth Asante and Frank Nimako Akowuah at the helm, Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah‘s first-rate team has a notable reputation for its work on a wide range of banking, finance and investment banking matters in addition to its broader work in the financial services sector. It advises on a whole host of legal and regulatory matters relating to debt and equity capital market transactions as well as corporate restructurings, mergers and acquisitions and other forms of raising capital. In addition, the group has considerable experience in due diligence exercises and is adept at advising on other forms of financing such as project and infrastructure financing work and asset financings. The practice acts for a substantial number of key local and foreign banks in Ghana.
Banking and finance in Ghana
Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah
Other key lawyers:
‘Market leaders; responsive; excellence in law and service’.
‘Seth Asante, Frank Nimako Akowuah and Nana Esi Beduwa Ghunney are all stand out names.’
African Export-Import Bank
Caterpillar Financial Services
Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO)
Macquarie Bank Limited
Ghana International Bank
Africa Trade Finance Limited
Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund
DLA Piper Nederland N.V.
Frankfurt School of Finance & Management Gemeinnützige GMBH
Development Bank Ghana
Paa Kwesi Morrison leads the dedicated banking and finance team at ENSafrica, which is well known for its experience in major cross-border work. The versatile team advises on the full spectrum of banking and finance matters, and Morrison is vastly experienced in advising financial institutions (including banks, private equity funds and development finance institutions) as well as regional and international companies on all aspects of deal structuring issues. Rachel Dagadu is another name to note for her expertise in project financing work and other forms of banking and finance. The team also has considerable skill in various sectors including the mining, real estate, oil and gas, energy and petroleum industries; it also has substantial strength in the healthcare and fintech sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mr Paa Kwesi Morrison and Ms Doreen Nyaaba. They have been very helpful and clearly came up with possible solutions to our issues’.
‘Rachel Dagadu is first-rate and always a pleasure to work with’.
‘Rachel Dagadu is responsive, very knowledgeable and commercial in her approach’.
‘ENSafrica is a big law firm, distinguished for its expertise’.
‘I worked with the team of Paa Kwesi Morrison. Paa Kwesi Morrison has excellent organisation skills, which makes the team always very responsive. Cletus Banseh is an excellent senior associate, whose support is very helpful and always outstanding’.
Standard Chartered Bank
Deutsche Bank AG
Gemcorp Capital LLP
Deutsche Bank S.p.A
Israel Discount Bank
First Rand Bank Limited
The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
International Finance Corporation
Ernst & Young
FirstRand Bank Limited
- Advised Ernst and Young on a matter involving the receipt by Ghana’s Ministry of Finance of financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the preparation of the Development Finance Project which supports the establishment of the Development Bank, Ghana.
- Advising FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank Division) and The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited in connection with the restructuring of circa $300m loans made to five special purpose vehicles for the construction of the Accra Financial Centre, Junction Shopping Centre, Standard Chartered Head Office, the Achimota Mall and Stanbic Heights.
- Advising Gemcorp Capital LLP on a matter relating to a $50m standby letter of credit made to back up the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation’s liabilities to Shell under the Tema LNG Gas Project.
JLD & MB Legal Consultancy
JLD & MB Legal Consultancy fields a solid team that is experienced in all aspects of banking and finance work. It frequently advises on corporate and project financing issues in addition to trade and commodity financing work and syndicated lending matters. Merene Botsio Benyah is a key name to note, who has a wealth of experience in the oil and gas, natural resources, aviation, minerals and mining sectors. The firm is well-equipped to advise multinationals, financial institutions, state-owned enterprises and corporate entities on a whole host of banking and financial issues.
Merene Botsio Benyah; Lily Acquaye; Zoe Phillips Takyi-Appiah; Akosua Apea Osafo
Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund
AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gesellschaft mbH (AKA Bank Germany)
Swipebill Ghana Limited
KOKA Energy Company Limited
Quad Energy Limited
Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited
Zeepay Ghana Limited
IronRidge Resources Limited
Yinson Production West Africa Limited
Kinross Africa S.L.
BP Oil International Limited
Cardinal Resources Limited
Asante Gold Corporation
Mitsui & Co. Ltd
MPharma Ghana Limited
Tullow Ghana Limited
Republic Bank (Ghana) Limited
Fast Pace Transfer Ltd
- Advised Asante Gold Corporation on the $90m acquisition of the Bibiani Project from Resolute Mining Limited.
- Advised Zeepay Ghana Limited on the acquisition of a 51% stake in Mangwee Mobile Money Zambia.
- Advised Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited on the GHS5bn liability management program for the Government of Ghana by Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited.
N. Dowuona & Company
With Achiaa Akobour Debrah at the helm at N. Dowuona & Company, the team is well placed to advise on a broad range of financing transactions. The group also regularly advises clients on mergers, acquisitions, project financings and cross-border investments. Clients include financial institutions, borrowers, lessees and other major players in the capital markets arena. In addition, the practice has recently received an increasing number of referrals from major international law firms.
Helios Towers Limited
Tiso Investment Holdings (Mauritius)
I&P Afrique Entrepreneurs II LP
SFC Finance Ltd
- Advised an ad hoc group of Term Loan B lenders and their security agent on the corporate reorganisation and restructuring of the existing debt of a multinational petroleum services company with assets in several jurisdictions.
- Advised a multinational telecoms company on a convertible bonds issuance of up to $ 250m, involving the proposed issuance and listing of guaranteed unsecured senior notes.
- Advised the lender, an SME-focused impact investment fund, on the provision of a shareholder loan intended for the financing of an infrastructure upgrade to a national hospital network.
Reindorf Chambers has a wealth of experience in advising local and international clients on key transactions in the private and public sector in addition to cross-border transactions. Fui Tsikata and Kizzita Mensah head up the team, which frequently advises major banks, financial institutions and corporates on all types of lending and financial transactions as well as regulatory issues. Mensah also has particular expertise in advising lenders on the restructuring of loans.
African Import-Export Bank
C-Nergy Ghana Limited
ABSA Bank Ghana Limited
ABC Bank International Plc
Ecobank Ghana Ltd
Ghana National Association of Teachers
- Advising a syndicate of lenders and the mandated lead arranger in relation to a proposed $120m refinancing of outstanding financial arrangements of a major power generation company in Ghana.
- Advised Belfius Bank in respect of a €30m loan to the Government of Ghana for the engineering, procurement and construction of drinking-water facilities in Wenchi, Ghana.
- Advising Belfius Bank in respect of a €13.5m loan to the Government of Ghana for the acquisition and delivery of intercity buses for public transport.
WTS Nobisfields fields an agile team that advises companies on acquisition financings, asset financing work and other issues including derivatives, structured financing and real estate financing mandates. Under the leadership of Theophilus Tawiah, the group also has considerable strength in financial restructuring work, debt financing issues and trade and export financing matters. Further central components of the practice include insolvency work and advising banks on various regulatory matters.
‘What sets Nobisfields apart is its flexibility, speed, and clear implementation of the tasks set and the loyalty to clients’.
‘Theophilus is the best banking and finance lawyer in Ghana. He leads the practice and is a standout figure on the Ghanaian market with great commercial understanding and an extensive client base’.
‘The team has excellent banking and finance expertise’.
‘Theophilus Tawiah blends the law well with his finance background’.
‘The firm has a strong tax practice and has started filing our annual returns. This has helped reduce the burden on our internal team and helps ensure regulatory and statutory compliance’.
‘Theophilus Tawiah is accessible and is readily available to address issues and follow-up on items raised’.
Industrial Support Fund ISF Ghana Limited
NewCase Capital Limited
Wangara Green Venture Capital Company Limited
Monarch Capital Limited
Impact Capital Advisors
- Advised SG France on a merger of a fintech company with a reputed commercial bank in Ghana.
- Advised Monarch Capital on the issuance of a commercial paper of GHS4.2m Ghana Cedis to Twins 8 Limited.
- Advised Industrial Support Fund ISF Ghana Limited on an investment of GHS1.85m in ESERB Limited by way of equity participation.