Bardehle Pagenberg continues to be a leading advisor in the automotive, telecoms, software and electronics sectors, but is also very visible in its assistance to clients from the life sciences industry, engineering specialists and sports article manufacturers. With its set-up as a mixed patent law and attorney-at-law firm, the practice has managed to accumulate a wealth of experience in advising on simultaneous opposition, infringement and nullity proceedings. With its German offices in Munich and Düsseldorf, its own international presence in Paris, Verona and Barcelona as well as with a reliable network of international firms, particularly in the US and Asia, the team advises both on purely German as well as on cross-border matters. Its offering of language services and its in-house graphic designer stand out within the German market. Johannes Lang, who is managing partner alongside lawyer and patent lawyer Johannes Heselberger, jointly heads the practice with Christof Karl, Joachim Mader and Tobias Kaufmann, who are all also experienced in advising on patent disputes and patent infringement proceedings. In January 2020, Hans Wegner changed his position to of counsel.
Patent prosecution in Germany
Other key lawyers:
' I especially appreciate the team approach. At Bardehle, as a client, you don't have the feeling of working with an external law firm, but rather together within a team. This is very important, because only with mutual understanding and the resulting synergy are exceptional services possible. The cooperation is characterized by a pragmatic approach in which communication is open and nothing is 'nicely talked'. The strategic support in the registration and examination processes at Bardehle is recognized by the very high level of commitment of the lawyers involved and the support team. '
' Joachim Mader: I really like his pragmatic and team-oriented approach and one of his particular strengths is strategic advice. '
' Proactivity and the speed of actions and reactions are certainly unique. From my point of view, this also shows the technical competence and comprehension. '
' Competent, very reliable in cooperation, committed, easy to reach, friendly in communication. '
Carl Zeiss SMS GmbH
Emerson Climate Technologies GmbH
Gerresheimer Regensburg GmbH
Jaguar Land Rover
Japan Tobacco International
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Wago Kontakttechnik GmbH
- adidas AG: Patent registration and representation in opposition proceedings.
- Apple Inc.: Extensive patent applications and representation in opposition proceedings before the EPO and the DPMA.
- Qualcomm: Extensive patent applications and representation in opposition proceedings before the EPO.
Boehmert & Boehmert
Boehmert & Boehmert combines a very active patent application and portfolio management practice with a broad sector focus and an extensive advice spectrum, which includes patent law alongside utility model and employee invention law. The group advises both German as well as international clients with the US and Asia representing geographical focuses. The team is spread across five German and three international offices in Alicante, Paris and Shanghai and is particularly strong in matters pertaining to electrotechnology, mechanical engineering and in advising software and IT companies. The group also impresses in the life sciences sphere, including biotechnology matters, the pharmaceuticals sector and in assisting clients seeking advice on physics-related issues. The team's key figures include biochemist Markus Engelhard, mechanical engineering specialist Nils Schmid, who divides his time between the Munich and Paris offices, Dennis Kretschmann, whose areas of expertise include physics, electrotechnology, optics as well as software and IT, and Munich- and Frankfurt-based Daniel Herrmann, who is active across all technical fields. Karl-Heinz Metten in Frankfurt, who specialises in technical plastics and catalysts, and experienced polymeric physicist Heinz Goddar are also part of the core team. As a mixed patent law and attorney-at-law practice, the boutique offering has all the necessary experience to assist with simultaneous nullity, infringement and opposition proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
- Swiss manufacturer of precision engineering tools: Representation in a patent infringement dispute and the parallel nullity proceedings relating to precision engineering drills.
- Spanish manufacturer of painting accessories: Representing the client in a patent infringement dispute and the parallel nullity proceedings to defend against allegations of infringement relating to paint spray gun systems, including the coordination of parallel disputes abroad.
Cohausz & Florack impresses both with a longstanding wealth of experience in the development, commercial utilisation and management of patent and utility model portfolios as well as with its increasingly visibility-gaining forensic practice. The client base encompasses numerous medium-sized German companies alongside a high number of large international corporations that rely on the boutique offering for both domestic as well as cross-border matters. The team particularly specialises in advising US, Chinese and Korean clients. The technically broad group handles a multifaceted caseload with proven expertise in the chemical, mechanical, medical products engineering, life sciences, electrotechnology, telecoms and process technology sectors among others. Mathias Karlhuber (data security technology, mechinal engineering, micro mechanics and medical technology among others), chemicals specialist Arwed Burrichter, Philipe Walter (electrotechnology, IT and mechatronics), Christoph Walke (communications engineering, data processing and medical engineering among others), physicist Henning Sternemann, Johannes Simons (mechinal engineering, process technology and raw materials), Jan Ackermann (mechanical engineering and automotive engineering), Jochen Kapfenberger, who specialises in process technology and mechanical engineering, as well as the dispute-experienced Gottfried Schüll form the practice's core.
Other key lawyers:
' Johannes Simons is a friendly patent attorney with a lot of experience and competence. '
' Excellent professional and technical expertise, very high quality standard, timely accurate, good manners, put themselves in the customer's perspective, proactive. '
' The partner supporting us has excellent knowledge of technology and patent law. The technical discussions take place on an equal footing and the advice on patent law is always relevant. '
' Thematically broad and internationally well networked with corresponding expertise on different topics and legal areas of the international patent world.'
Ascensia Diabetis Care
Auto-Kabel Management Gmb
Beijing BOE Optoelectronics Technology Co.,Ltd
bio-tec Biologische Naturverpackungen GmbH & Co. KG
Carl Zeiss SMT AG
Deutsche Post AG
Exelixis / Genentech / Roche
Ferdinand Lusch GmbH
KAMAT GmbH & Co KG
SIG Technology AG
Tesa scribos GmbH
Viega GmbH & Co. KG
Vorwerk &Co. Interholding GmbH
- Brillux GmbH & Co. KG: Representation in opposition proceedings against competitors.
- innogy: Strategic advice on building the patent portfolio in the areas of intelligent home, e-mobility and renewable energies.
- Dirak: Takeover of the support of the worldwide patent and trademark portfolio; strategic advice; Expansion of the portfolio by developing and submitting further registrations.
In addition to traditional patent application advice, Eisenführ Speiser also fields an increasingly visible forensic practice. The group regularly assists with application proceedings before the GPTO, EPO and according to PCT regulations, including representation in related opposition proceedings. The team's numerous long-term clients which regularly entrust the firm with their entire patent portfolios, as well as the continuous practice expansion by taking on new portfolios are proof of the group's consistently high quality of advice. The advice spectrum encompasses the assistance with product development processes as well as the exploration of possibilities for commercial utilisation of new innovations. With the partner promotion of Fabian Fegers (construction, mechanical and medical engineering, particularly for startups and venture capital companies) in Munich as well as the promotions of Markus Schulz (mechanical and medical engineering) in Bremen and Stefan Wiethoff (electrotechnology, IT, medical engineering, optics) in Hamburg to salary partnership, which took place in January 2020, the partner pool expanded across the nation. The team's key figures are technology expert Ludger Eckey in Berlin; the Hamburg-based Lars Birken, who specialises in mechanical and medical engineering; life sciences and chemicals expert Uwe Stilkenböhmer in Bremen; the equally Bremen-based Holger Veenhuis with his expertise in electrotechnology, IT, medical and mechanical engineering and optics; the Hamburg-based Katrin Winkelmann, who specialises in construction, medical and mechanical engineering; the chemicals, life sciences and medical engineering expert Manuel Söldenwagner in Munich; and the Bremen-based Klaus Göken whose areas of expertise include electrotechnology and mechanical engineering among others.
Other key lawyers:
Accemic Technologies GmbH
ALLOS Semiconductors AG
BEGO Unternehmensgruppe (BEGO Bremer Goldschlägerei Wilh. Herbst GmbH & Co. KG / BEGO Medical GmbH / BEGO Implant Systems GmbH & Co. KG)
Big Dutchman International GmbH
Böckmann Fahrzeugwerke GmbH
Büscherhoff Spezialverpackungen GmbH & Co KG
CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA
Donaldson Company Inc.
Dr. Pfleger Arzneimittel GmbH
Edwards Lifesciences Corporation
Fun Factory GmbH
HARTING Electric GmbH & Co. KG
Hüttenes-Albertus Chemische Werke GmbH
IHP Innovations for High Performance Microelectronics/ Leibniz-Institut für innovative Mikroelektronik, Frankfurt/Oder
Interroll Holding AG
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
LUNOS Lüftungstechnik GmbH für Raumluftsysteme
Micrel Medical Devices S.A.
Minimax GmbH & Co. KG
Mitsubishi HiTec Paper Europe GmbH
Neusoft Technology Solutions GmbH
OLYMPUS SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIES EUROPE / Olympu
- Accemic Technologies GmbH: Patent application at the EPO, including isolated opposition, as part of the long-term support of the client's complete patent portfolio.
- BEGO Bremer Goldschlägerei Wilh. Herbst GmbH & Co. KG: Patent registration with the DPMA, EPA and PCT as part of the long-term support of the complete patent portfolio
- CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA: Patent registration with the DPMA, EPA and PCT as part of the long-term support of the complete patent portfolio
Grünecker impresses with one of the biggest patent law teams in Germany, an excellent market reputation, broad sector expertise and an experienced litigation practice. The group is particularly active in EPO application proceedings, but nonetheless continues to be one of the leading application practices for GPTO patent applications. Composed of patent lawyers and attorneys-at-law, the team is well versed in opposition, infringement and nullity proceedings. Alongside numerous large international corporations particularly from Asia, the client base also includes large German and European companies. Martin Dropmann (mechanical engineering, materials sciences, nanotechnology) in Cologne and Patrick Erk (mechanical engineering) in Berlin jointly head the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Hoffmann Eitle stands out due to its powerful team that, alongside longstanding experience in opposition and nullity proceedings and particularly in opposition proceedings before the EPO, also advises across a broad sector spectrum and with an international approach. Following the opening of its Amsterdam office in April 2018, the firm opened its second Spanish office in Barcelona in October 2019; the renowned boutique offering is now broadly spread across Europe with headquarters in Munich and additional offices in Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Milan, London and Madrid. Clients also encompass numerous Asian companies including a particularly high proportion of large Japanese corporations. The team has an especially good reputation for its strong pharmaceuticals and biotechnology practice. Mechanics and technology-related instructions represent further technical focuses. Alongside one of the biggest prosecution team in the market, the firm also fields a renowned litigation practice. The practice group chemicals is jointly led by Matthias Kindler, Peter Klusmann and Klemens Stratmann; Leo Polz and Joseph Taormino share the leadership of the biotechnology team; Christopher Furlong is practice head for the mechanics practice; and Rainer Zangs is responsible for the electronics team. In October 2019, mechanical engineering specialist Anne Katrin Schön, life sciences expert James Ogle and Stefan Steinmüller, whose core expertise encompasses semiconductor technology as well as optics and imaging techniques, made associated partners.
Other key lawyers:
' Well versed in law and technology. '
' The team is made up of several colleagues who work together efficiently, quickly and in a goal-oriented manner. For every area in biology, medicine and chemistry there are specialists who work together optimally on complex inventions. The level of knowledge about patent law decisions is always impressively comprehensive and up-to-date. Particularly noteworthy are the strategic considerations together with the client to optimize the patent strategy. The team is always ready to cater to the client's special needs in order to achieve the best possible goal. '
' The Hoffmann Eitle team is very analytical, but always keeps an eye on the economic value of a right. '
Envista Holdings Corporation
- Eisai: Successful representation of the patent holder in the opposition proceedings against Eli Lilly regarding a patent covering promising development substances for Alzheimer's disease.
- Ericsson: Representation in the challenge of several IPCom patents.
- MATCH Group LLC: Representation and support in legal disputes in connection with the online dating platform Tinder.
Vossius & Partner
At renowned boutique offering Vossius & Partner, the partner promotions of life sciences and pharma specialists Andreas Heiseke, Philipp Marchand, Stefan Müller and Ulrich Sentner in January indicated a clear growth trajectory for the firm. Alongside its strong life sciences and pharma practice, the firm also possesses longstanding experience in the application and management of mechanical engineering, IT and mobile communications patents. Besides strategic assistance with the establishment and development of patent portfolios, the firm also fields a seasoned team for opposition and nullity proceedings as well as an established litigation department. The technology and IT core team includes Elard Schenck zu Schweinsberg, Rainer Viktor, Arnold Asmussen and Raphael Salzer, while Hans-Rainer Jaenichen, Jürgen Meier and Friederike Stolzenburg are the key contacts in the biology and biotechnology group; Natalia Berryman and Dirk Harmsen are the central contacts for chemicals and pharmacology.
Other key lawyers:
Elard Schenck zu Schweinsberg; Rainer Viktor; Arnold Asmussen; Raphael Salzer; Hans-Rainer Jaenichen; Jürgen Meier; Friederike Stolzenburg; Natalia Berryman; Dirk Harmsen; Andreas Heiseke; Philipp Marchand; Stefan Müller; Ulrich Sentner
' The Vossius & Partner prosecution team is in great demand in the life sciences industry because of its experience, knowledge, and technical and legal expertise. '
' Jürgen Meier is highly regarded and very knowledgeable. He is at the forefront of the prosecution of biotechnology and life sciences patents and is a trusted advisor to a wide range of leading biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. '
CRISPR Therapeutics AG
Max Planck Gesellschaft
Merck Sharp & Dome Corp.
Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd.
Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation
Starkey Hearing Technologies
Sumitomo Chemical. Corp
- Beijing Goldwind: Representing the client in patent application proceedings before the EPO, including in an isolated opposition.
- Boston Scientific: Strategic advice on portfolio management.
- CRISPR Therapeutics AG: Representing the client in several opposition proceedings against European patents of the Broad Institute.
Maikowski & Ninnemann has tangibly expanded its practice since 2016, thereby establishing client relationships with large German, European and international companies that span both applications as well as the representation in litigious proceedings. The firm focuses on assistance to clients that want to be comprehensively advised on prosecution matters and offers extensive experience in the development and application of patents as well as in opposition and nullity proceedings. Patent advice on patent infringement proceedings is another mainstay for the team, while the practice's broad sector expertise also encompasses advice to high-tech corporations, on matters such as artificial intelligence among others. The majority of the team is based in Berlin, including Gunnar Baumgärtel (vehicle technology, mechanical engineering, measurement technology, software and semiconductor technology), Felix Gross (process technology, plastics technology, medical and mechanical engineering, software inventions), Ralf Emig (mechanical engineering, vehicle technology, automatisation technology, medical engineering, software development), Fabian Sokolowski (medical engineering, chemicals and biotechnology) and Christoph Schröder (electrotechnology, medical engineering, automotive technology, mechanical engineering, software inventions). Andreas Tanner (electrotechnology, IT, medical and mechanical engineering) is a key contact in Munich.
Other key lawyers:
' Fabian Sokolowski works quickly, reliably and always within the agreed budget. He is pragmatic, gets to the point quickly and gives clear recommendations for action. Customer orientation and service always come first. If he doesn't know what to do next, he doesn't try to stay in the game anyway, but instead provides competent specialists, including external ones. '
'' Proven technical expertise in different sectors, but especially in the mobile communications sector; particularly pleasant, collegial way of working together; extremely smooth mutual support in legal disputes. '
'In my opinion, the uniqueness of the above-mentioned law firm lies in the access to the individual topics with which I commission the persons. Very broad specialist knowledge including the international networks that we can access for our concerns. '
' Excellent team. The elaborations are always outstanding. '
' Very experienced in processes and excellent in quality. '
' Gunnar Baumgärtel: Very experienced and very strong verbally in litigation.'
'Christoph Schröder: Technically very good and very committed. '
' We appreciate the proximity of the entire team to clients, the always available short-term responsiveness and the cost-conscious approach. For us, the work of the Leipzig team is characterized not least by the very high success rate in enforcing our property rights at home and abroad. '
' Concentrated knowledge, the right size and a sufficient number of lawyers, available at all times. '
ARRI (Arnold Richter)
Joyson Safety Systems
LG Electronics (LGE)
LR Health & Beauty
- Broadcom: Comprehensive advice, including nullity suits and litigation for more than 30 patents in cooperation with a team of lawyers from another renowned law firm.
- Fitbit: Comprehensive advice, including nullity suits and litigation for more than 50 patents in cooperation with a team of lawyers from another renowned law firm.
- LG Electronics: Comprehensive advice, including new registrations, opposition proceedings, nullity actions and litigation based on large patent portfolios with thousands of intellectual property rights.
MAIWALD PATENTANWALTS- UND RECHTSANWALTSGESELLSCHAFT MBH fields an active patent granting and opposition procedures practice and has a particular focus on proceedings before the EPO. From its Munich and Düsseldorf offices, the firm also offers advice on strategic patent and portfolio issues, assistance with international instructions such as the global coordination of patent granting procedures, a seasoned team for nullity and infringement claims and advice on complementary protection certificates, which represents a particular focus. Sectorally, the firm's traditional strength lies in the pharmaceuticals and chemicals industries, although the team also possesses deep expertise in the biotechnology, mechanical engineering, electrotechnology, computer-related inventions and medical engineering fields. The engineering practice is also increasingly gaining visibility. The client base is comprised of startups, medium-sized companies and large international corporations, while the share of clients from the US and Asia, particularly China and Japan, is increasingly growing. The team's key contacts are Dirk Bühler (biotechnology), Eva Ehlich (chemicals and pharmaceuticals), Martin Huenges (biotechnology and pharmaceuticals), Derk Vos (chemicals and pharmaceuticals), Christian Schäflein (physics), Alexander Ortlieb (physics, medical engineering and diagnostics, computer-implemented inventions, mechanical engineering and telecommunications), Eva Dörner (chemicals), Angela Zumstein (pharmaceuticals), Berthold Lux (chemicals), Alexander Schmitz (electrotechnology) and Sophie Ertl (mechanical engineering). Dually qualified patent lawyer and attorney-at-law Stefan Bianchin joined the firm in February 2019 from Mitscherlich & Partner and made partner in August 2019. Naho Fujimoto (chemicals), Ian Weaver (optoelectronics and optical information processing) and Christian Pioch (software, data processing and semiconductor technology among others) made partner at the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020 respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Dirk Bühler; Eva Ehlich; Martin Huenges; Derk Vos; Christian Schäflein; Alexander Ortlieb; Eva Dörner; Angela Zumstein; Berthold Lux; Alexander Schmitz; Christian Pioch; Sophie Ertl; Stefan Bianchin ; Ian Weaver ; Naho Fujimoto
'' Extremely detailed and insightful comments and recommendations on decisions made by patent offices in key jurisdictions. Maiwald will never be the cheapest law firm, but they offer absolute quality service. '
'' Pragmatic advisory approach with a good understanding of the economic aspects underlying IP rights. This approach allows the law firm to obtain property rights that are actually economically significant. '
'' Creative and able to view each constellation as an individual case and adapt solutions accordingly. They are extremely well trained, smart and prudent and leave no stone unturned. '
' Professional, service-oriented, able to handle every patent case. '
' Angela Zumsteim: Highest quality of work, very service-oriented and easy to deal with. The best representation in opposition proceedings I've seen in years. Makes complex issues appear simple. '
' As a mixed law firm, Maiwald has experts on all IP-related issues, from employee invention law to compliance and contract law. The close cooperation between patent attorneys and lawyers reduces costs and ensures overall better performance in litigation. Lots of experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning. With over 80 patent attorneys and lawyers, we are also well equipped for large multinational projects. '
' Christian Schäflein: There will probably be only a few patent attorneys in Europe with a comparable wealth of experience in the areas of software and AI. '
' Christian Pioch: Young and aspiring. With his analytical mind he will certainly move the company forward. '
' Stefan Bianchin: With his dual qualifications as a lawyer and patent attorney, he is very efficient in patent infringement proceedings. '
Alere (jetzt Abbott)
Devicor Medical Products
Hexal AG /Sandoz
LTS Lohmann Therapie-Systeme AG
Massachusetts General Hospital
Purdue Pharma L.P.
The Regents of the University of California
The United States of America, as represented by the Secretary, Department of Health and Human Services
- Alere (now Abbott): Support of the client in portfolio management, including the preparation of patent applications, the worldwide coordination of patent grant procedures and representation in opposition proceedings before the EPO.
- Takeda: Comprehensive support for the client, including strategic advice, preparation of registrations, representation before the EPO, preparation of FTO reports, advice on IP-relevant aspects in cooperation in the field of stem cells, management of the global portfolio for dengue and Zika vaccines and a global one Stem Cell Therapy Portfolios.
- Baidu: EP prosecution; strategic advice on portfolio management.
Meissner Bolte Patentanwälte Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB is primarily known for its buoyant application and opposition proceedings practice both before the GPTO as well as the EPO. With a total of eleven offices across Germany, including a growing presence in Düsseldorf, as well as a London branch, the firm is geographically broadly positioned. In January 2020 Pier Luigi De Anna, coming from his own firm, joined the team as a consultant to support its Italian practice. The lion's share of the group's caseload relate to the mechanical engineering and electrotechnology practice with additional focuses on the chemicals sector and instruments. The Munich-based Jochen Kilchert heads the team which also includes the in January 2020 promoted partner Jasper Werhahn (physics), Florian Meyer (software, mobile communications, robotics, internet of things) and Verena Engstle (mechanics and mechanical engineering). The firm also fields an established litigation team.
Other key lawyers:
' Fast and competent solutions that are always very practice-oriented. '
POSCO International Corporation
Illinois Tool Works Inc.
Johnson Controls Inc.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
St. Gobain Sekurit
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd.
Villeroy & Boch AG
- Brita GmbH: Comprehensive advice on patent law matters; Elaboration and support of the complete portfolio of patent applications; also representation in a variety of opposition proceedings.
- BTL Medical Technologies sro: Representation in numerous registration procedures before the German and European offices.
- Electrolux Group: Representation of the client in all areas of patent law, including drafting and representation in numerous patent applications before the German and European office as well as advice in litigation such as opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office.
Founded at the beginning of 2019, boutique offering Braun-Dullaeus Pannen Emmerling stands out for its particularly active practice in nullity proceedings. The firm managed a good start and alongside large German corporations, the group also represents various large international companies; the firm is particularly known for its representation of Huawei. Karl-Ulrich Braun-Dullaeus in Düsseldorf and Friedrich Emmerling in Munich jointly head the practice and predominantly advise on the preparation of patent applications and patent litigation. The practice further includes Matthias Erdmann, who joined from Betten & Resch in July 2019 and also has litigation experience.
Leonardo MW Ltd
Deutsche Telekom AG
Hochland SE, Heimenkirch
VVG-Befestigungstechnik GmbH & Co KG
Honsel Umformtechnik GmbH
Rhodius Schleifwerkzeuge GmbH & Co KG
SICAT GmbH & Co KG
Systec POS-Technology GmbH
Systec Controls, Puchheim
Conradi + Kaiser GmbH
- Deutsche Telekom AG: Advising the client on patent applications (PCT, DPMA and EPA), often of significant economic importance for the client and on broad, complex technologies.
- Huawei Technologies: Advising the client on patent applications (PCT, DPMA and EPA), including representation in opposition proceedings in connection with extensive patent disputes in the three technology fields of network equipment, smartphones and photovoltaic inverters; In addition, advice in patent disputes from 15 patents before the LG Mannheim, OLG Karlsruhe, LG and OLG Munich, LG and OLG Düsseldorf, BPatG, Federal Court of Justice and EPA regarding network infrastructure, smartphones and DSL modems
- Hochland SE: Advising the client on patent applications (PCT, DPMA and EPA).
Gulde & Partner
Gulde & Partner distinguishes itself through its distinct focus on advising Asian corporations. Accordingly, the team fields an international set-up with one Korean, two Chinese, one Japanese and one Indian team member. Nonetheless, the practice also acts as a longstanding advisor to several large German corporations. Alongside its assistance with patent applications, the team further offers longstanding experience in opposition proceedings and nullity claims. The electronics and telecommunications sectors are part of the firm's focal points. Head of mechanical engineering and automotive Henry Schneider, head of electronics and telecommunications Sönke Lorenz and head of life sciences Jens Glienke jointly lead the practice.
Other key lawyers:
'' Fast, uncomplicated, easily understandable, practical advice. '
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
Samsung SDI Co. Ltd.
Samsung Display Co. Ltd.
Robert Bosch GmbH
Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH
Imperial Tobacco Group
- Samsung Electronics: Advice in the field of patent prosecution.
- Volkswagen AG: Preparation of more than 400 patent applications in 2019.
- Imperial Tobacco: Advising the permanent client, including the subsidiaries Fontem Ventures and Reemtsma Tabakfabrik, in the field of conventional and electronic cigarettes.
Jones Day specialises in the management of patent portfolios from the bio sciences and smart engineering sectors. Alongside its prosecution team, the firm also fields an in-house litigation practice and is therefore particularly well equipped for litigious proceedings. The German practice's integration within the international firm network renders it an excellent choice for cross-border matters, particularly in those with several involved jurisdictions. Transaction-related matters are another focus. Following former practice head Martin Weber's retirement in January 2020, the Munich-based Olga Bezzubova (pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and diagnostics) and the Frankfurt-based Dorothée Weber-Bruls (physics and mechanical engineering; as well as automotive industry, renewable energy and household appliances) took on the joint leadership. In July 2019, Peter Sommer joined the Frankfurt team as counsel; he is well versed in mechanics and electrotechnology and formerly worked at PRIO Patentanwälte which ceased its operation in 2019.
Rational AG/ Rational Interna-tional AG
Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG)/ Motherson Innovation Company Ltd. (MI)
Sunrise Medical GmbH & Co.
Convex Universal Limited IBP Conex Limited/ King Industrial Limited/ Apex Gold International Limited/ Conex IPR Limited
Blickle Räder + Rollen GmbH u. Co. KG
- Rational AG / Rational International AG: Representing more than 500 patents, utility models and designs worldwide, including defending and enforcing them.
- Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG): Worldwide portfolio management; comprises approx. 500 patent families for driver assistance systems.
- Blickle Wheels + Rollers GmbH and Co. KG: Advice on global IP strategy, including patent applications, freedom-to-operate analyzes and licenses.
König . Szynka . Tilmann . von Renesse
König . Szynka . Tilmann . von Renesse enjoys an excellent reputation for its representation in litigious proceedings and regularly occupies a leading role in the most important proceedings on the German market. The group's sector focus lies on life sciences, although the firm also fields an experienced team in the electrotechnology and mechanical engineering industries. Name partner Gregor König is one of the team's key contacts for patent infringement and nullity proceedings as well as for the strategic development of patent portfolios.
Other key lawyers:
Michalski - Hüttermann & Partner Patentanwälte
Michalski - Hüttermann & Partner Patentanwälte is one of the country's first addresses for the preparation of patent applications. The four offices across Germany illustrate the firm's comprehensive practice for German clients, while it also acts for numerous international companies and represents both kinds of clients before the GPTO as well as internationally. The practice is jointly headed by Stefan Michalski (chemicals, pharmaceuticals and materials sciences), Guido Quiram (electrotechnology, computer-implemented inventions, telecommunications and mechanical engineering among others) and Ulrich Storz (life sciences). Wasilis Koukounis (computer-implemented inventions, automotive, sensory technology and mechanical engineering) and Christoph Volpers (life sciences) both made partner in January 2020.
ABB Power Grids
- WILO SE: Representation in various opposition proceedings against Grundfos patents to obtain Freedom-to-Operate; Conducted several Freedom-to-Operate searches.
- Ecoenergy Patent GmbH: Representing the client in litigation before the LG Düsseldorf in cooperation with a well-known law firm.
- Immatics Biotechnologies GmbH: Advising the client in patent application procedures, including the preparation of numerous patent applications and the implementation of worldwide proceedings. Preparation of freedom-to-operate reports and general strategic advice.
Prinz & Partner
Under the leadership of Jochen Sties and Thomas Kitzhofer, of whom both specialise in the preparation of patent and utility model applications in the mechanics and materials sciences fields, Prinz & Partner advises German medium-sized companies as well as internationally active corporations. With longstanding experience in granting procedures before the GPTO and EPO as well as in litigious proceedings, including opposition, nullity and infringement proceedings, the firm offers deep expertise in the establishment and defence of patent portfolios. Product piracy and border seizure proceedings as well as transaction-related matters are also part of the advice spectrum. In cross-border matters the firm cooperates with the European network AIPEX.
Other key lawyers:
Faurecia Emissions Control Technologies
Faurecia Interior Systems
Rohde & Schwarz
Inteva / Roof Systems Germany GmbH
Süss Microtec AG
Schill + Seilacher
Metrona Wärmemesser Union GmbH
BCS Automotive Interface Solutions GmbH
ABB Schweiz AG
- Galata Chemicals: Representing the client in the field of patent prosecution, including representation in opposition proceedings.
- Fraport AG (Frankfurt Airport Worldwide AG): Elaboration of patent applications, preparation of legal opinions, advice on strategic issues and representation in disputes relating to employee invention law.
- Bürkert Werke GmbH: Filing of patent applications worldwide and representation in opposition proceedings against competitors.
Munich-based boutique offering Prüfer & Partner impresses with an active application practice before the GPTO and the EPO as well as its continuously growing China practice. Despite its purely national presence, the practice is still clearly focused on international business and therefore also acts for clients that prospectively intend to file applications in the US. Sector focuses include the life sciences and pharmaceuticals industries as well as the medical products, semiconductor and polymere fields. Jürgen Feldmeier, Dorothea Hofer and Andreas Oser jointly head the practice and incorporate comprehensive sector experience in their advice.
' The service level is excellent. Your answers are always very quick and appropriate. '
' We appreciate the high level of professionalism and expertise, the comprehensive advice and the careful and punctual handling of the tasks. '
' You can think your way around the product to be registered very well and thus also find the appropriate formulations. '
' Excellent and highly agile capacity delivery; even short-term inquiries are always processed and finalized in a highly professional manner. Strong problem-solving awareness even with complex non-standard inquiries. '
' Jürgen Feldmeier: Very good or broad technical understanding; excellent direct 'line' to developers and inventors; holistic understanding of company-specific strategies and processes. '
Mitsubishi Electric Co.
Biedermann Technologies GmbH & Co. KG
EOS GmbH Electro Optical Systems
Freiberger Compound Materials
Novartis – Sandoz (inkl. Hexal, Lek Pharmaceuticals)
Tachi Co. LTD. (JP)
Heidolph Instruments GmbH & Co. KG
Hymmen GmbH Maschinen und Anlagenbau
B Braun Melsungen AG
- B Braun Melsungen AG: Preparation of comprehensive freedom-to-operate analyzes in connection with the development and commercialization of a new generation of devices and aids for infusions.
- Knorr-Bremse systems for rail vehicles, Knorr-Bremse systems for commercial vehicles: Extensive advisory work, including the identification of inventions with clients, preparation of patent applications and representation in patent granting proceedings, representation in opposition proceedings, preparation of freedom-to-operate analyzes.
- Novartis - Sandoz Group (including Hexal, Lek Pharmaceuticals): Cross-border advice to the permanent client in extensive preparations and drafts of European and international patent and utility model applications, including correspondence with all foreign colleagues, representation in grant proceedings and in numerous opposition and appeal proceedings before the European Patent Office.
Weickmann & Weickmann
As one of the oldest patent law firms in Germany, Weickmann & Weickmann offers longstanding experience. The team's special areas of expertise include mechanics, electrotechnology, IT and life sciences patents, including patents in the chemicals industry. Physicist Michael Heinrich made partner in January 2020, thereby succeeding Johannes Tiesmeyer, who changed to of counsel status at the end of 2019. Markus Herzog (technology) and Brigitte Böhm (life sciences) jointly head the team.
'' Uncomplicated contact person, always available and directly addressable on all topics. '
DYWIDAG-Systems International GmbH
Fischerwerke GmbH & Co. KG
Fränkische Industrial Pipes
H.S.A. Hair Styling Applications S.p.A., Bisuschio, Italien
Honeywell/Life Safety GmbH
Kaspar Papir doo
Salewa Sport AG, Oberalp Group
SRAM Deutschland GmbH / SRAM LLC
TCI Telecomunicazioni Italia S.r.L.
- Amistec GmbH: Takeover of the entire portfolio of the client; Supervision of all applications at the EPO.
- Apogenix GmbH: Supervision of all patent applications worldwide.
- Heidelberg Pharma: Supervision of all patent applications worldwide.
Zimmermann & Partner Patentanwälte mbB
Zimmermann & Partner Patentanwälte mbB specialises in litigious proceedings. The firm is particularly active in the telecoms, medical products, consumer goods, semiconductor and LED/LCD fields and, despite its purely national presence, also possesses longstanding experience in assisting with disputes entailing cross-border elements. The team further acts as a European patent advisor for several large US corporations. Most recent highlights included the representation of Samsung Electronics in a dispute against Apple. The practice is jointly headed by Benedikt Neuburger (green technologies, energy technology and coating technology), Gerd Zimmermann (solid-state physics and electromechanics) and Joel Nägerl (electrotechnology, telecommunications and semiconductor technology) in Munich as well as Frank Steinbach (medical products, energy technology and materials sciences) in the Berlin office.
Samsung Electronics Co
General Electric Co.
Nippon Steel Sumitomo Metal Corp.
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung- und prüfung
APPLIED MATERIALS ITALIA S.R.L
NGK Spark Plug Co.
Integrated Circuit Testing
Bombardier Transportation GmbH
Motorola Mobility / Lenovo
GE Wind Energy
Wonderland Switzerland AG
Continental Automotive GmbH
Arno Friedrich Hartmetall GmbH
Lauda Dr. Wobser GmbH & Co. KG
- Samsung Electronics Co.: Representation in the proceedings brought against Thomson regarding six patents before the Federal Patent Court, the Federal Court of Justice, DPMA and EPA; Cooperation with a renowned law firm in the processing of parallel infringement proceedings.
- Samsung Electronics Co.: Representing the client against France Brevets in the five affected patents proceedings before the Federal Patent Court and the EPO; including cooperation with a renowned law firm in the processing of parallel infringement proceedings.
- Applied Materials Inc.: Comprehensive patent law advice to the long-term client, including the preparation of patent applications through to the granting of all related patent matters, taking into account the company's focus on Asian countries and the USA.