Widely recognised as one of the leading practices in France, Bredin Prat has a stellar record across public and private M&A, including on mandates involving private equity. Active across all market segments, large-cap and jumbo-cap mandates make up a considerable proportion of the caseload, although the team is involved in a number of small-cap and mid-cap deals. The firm's strong reputation on the domestic market is complemented by a top cross-border offering on both inbound and outbound transactions, working closely with its 'Best Friends' network of other independent firms in Europe. As part of a full-service offering, the group can seamlessly call on experts in tax, antitrust, employment, financing and litigation to provide a holistic service. Representing clients across a broad range of sectors, the practice is nevertheless well known for its experience in banking, retail and energy. The group features one of the deepest benches on the market; Olivier Assant, Sophie Cornette de Saint Cyr, Patrick Dziewolski, Clémence Fallet, Florence Haas, Benjamin Kanovitch, Matthieu Pouchepadass, Sébastien Prat and Kate Romain are among the key contacts.
Mergers and acquisitions in France
‘Bredin Prat has an exceptional M&A team, supported by very strong practices in all areas of the law required to deliver an M&A transaction in its various components (corporate, tax, competition, financing, labor law, etc.) as well as in banking and financial regulation.’
‘The firm has an excellent network of foreign correspondents (the Best Friends), and is particularly well equipped to intervene in cross-border transactions.‘
‘Matthieu Pouchepadass is a creative lawyer with very good commercial sense.‘
‘Superb, light touch, not overly geared with a large number of associates vs partners.‘
‘Alexander Blackburn was superb, he represented us with a calm and pragmatic approach.‘
‘The firm offers a full range of skills and expertise in business law, offering a personalized and tailor-made service that meets all legal needs, in their national and international aspects.‘
‘Olivier Assant is the firm’s essential lawyer. He is particularly distinguished by the quality of his listening skills, by the quality of his advice and by his ability to understand the specificities and issues of our sector of activity to offer personalized solutions.’
Areva / Orano
- Advised PSA as lead counsel in connection with its pending 50/50 merger with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles to create the fourth largest global automotive OEM by volume and third largest by revenue.
- Advised Ingenico in connection with the friendly share exchange offer launched by Worldline with a view to creating a new European leader and the fourth player in payment services worldwide.
- Advised Firmenich in connection with the acquisition of DRT from Ardian, Tikehau Capital and the family shareholders.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Housing one of the country's top M&A practices, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton consistently appears on some of the largest transactions in the market, exemplified by its work advising Alstom on its €6.2bn acquisition of Bombardier Transportation. Supported by premier practice groups in tax, financing and capital markets, the department is also active on mid-cap segment deals and is visible on several private equity-led mandates. The team is often at the forefront of pioneering approaches, becoming the first firm to persuade the European Commission to accept technology-assisted review, providing significant savings to its client in this matter. Cross-border work is another area of strength, with the group leveraging its extensive network of offices to advise on both inbound and outbound transactions. Jointly leading the practice, Pierre-Yves Chabert is highly regarded for his work on capital markets deals, while Rodolphe Elineau notably led on Capgemini's €5bn acquisition of Altran Technologies. Anne-Sophie Coustel and Valérie Lemaitre are two further key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Sophie Coustel; Valérie Lemaitre
Qualium Investissement (Biscuit International)
- Counsel to Worldline, a European leader in the payment industry, in connection with its acquisition of Ingenico to create a new leader in payment services.
- Counsel to Alstom in it €6.2bn acquisition of Bombardier Transportation.
- Counsel to Capgemini, a world leader in consulting, IT services and digital transformation, in its acquisition of Altran Technologies.
Particularly specialised in matters related to public companies, Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier fields a top M&A group, with a good track record across all market segments including jumbo-cap and large-cap mandates. The department is also highly rated for matters relating to corporate governance, IPOs and private equity on transactions in France, Europe and the US. Key sectors include financial services, telecoms, automotive and entertainment. Among the team, Jean-Michel Darrois, Hugo Diener, Marcus Billam, Christophe Vinsonneau and Laurent Gautier are highly regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Jean-Michel Darrois; Hugo Diener; Marcus Billam; Christophe Vinsonneau; Laurent Gautier
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's global coverage makes it a popular choice for companies undertaking significant inbound or outbound deals. Focused on transactions in the energy, financial services, infrastructure and real estate sectors, the practice is active across all market segments but primarily in upper and mid-cap mandates. The group also notably advised the French state on the €7bn financing of Air France-KLM as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak. Increasingly occupied by ECM mandates, covering IPOs, rights issues and capital increases, the team works closely with the firm's premier financing, antitrust tax and litigation practice groups to lead on a wide range of transactions. Frédéric Moreau is in charge, assisted by Marc Castagnède, Jean-Claude Rivalland, Alexandre Ancel, Romy Richter and Frédéric Jungels.
Other key lawyers:
Marc Castagnède; Jean-Claude Rivalland; Alexandre Ancel; Romy Richter; Frédéric Jungels
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Ministère de l’Economie et des Finances
Champagne Louis Roederer
Group Jacky Perrenot
Infravia Capital Partners
Crédit Mutuel Arkéa
- Advised Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations in relation to the acquisition of the control of the French postal office (La Poste) comprising La Banque Postale and CNP Assurances.
- Advised the French state, acting through the Agence des participations de l’Etat (the APE) which holds and manage the French state holdings in companies, on the €7bn financings of Air France-KLM in the context of the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Advised CASIL Europe on the disposal of its 49.99% interest in Aéroport Toulouse-Blagnac (ATB), the company operating the Toulouse-Blagnac airport, to Eiffage SA.
Reputed for its work in the telecoms, aerospace and financial services sectors, BDGS Associés is a key player in the market, specialised in public and private M&A transactions. Cross-border work is another area of strength, representing both domestic clients in their deals abroad and foreign companies looking to invest in France. The firm's tax department and its competition, regulatory and litigation practice groups are further assets. Led by a four-partner team comprised of Antoine Bonnasse, Youssef Djehane, Jean-Emmanuel Skovron and Marc Loy, the group's other key names include up-and-coming partner Thomas Méli, François Baylion and Lucile Gaillard.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Méli; François Baylion; Lucile Gaillard
Aéroports de Paris (ADP)
Bouygues S.A. and Bouygues Telecom
Crédit Agricole Assurances (Predica)
Groupe La Poste and La Banque Postale
- Advised SNCF on the implementation of a unified public railway group in the context of the introduction of competition on the railway market from 2020 pursuant to European Union regulations.
- Advising Le Bélier and its majority shareholders on the sale of their majority stake to Wencan.
- Advised Bouygues Telecom on its €1bn strategic partnership with Cellnex with respect to the deployment and operation of a national fibre optic network in France.
Clifford Chance's Paris-based practice notably led on L'Oréal's acquisition of Clarins, supported by teams in tax, antitrust, IP and employment. With 'excellent technical and practical knowledge of the market', the department is active across a number of sectors including infrastructure, TMT and financial services. Large-cap mandates make up the bulk of the caseload although the practice is also visible on several jumbo and small-cap deals. The leadership group is comprised of Fabrice Cohen, Gilles Lebreton, Marianne Pezant, Mathieu Rémy, Laurent Schoenstein, Thierry Schoen and Emmanuel Mimin, who was promoted to partner in May 2020. Counsel Olivier Jouffroy left to became partner at Orrick Rambaud Martel.
‘Excellent technical and practical knowledge of the market. Fine negotiators with good listening and advisory skills.‘
‘A tight, stable, very involved and available team. Excellent knowledge of the sector and our structure over time.‘
‘Mathieu Rémy is remarkable in all aspects of his activity: legal expertise, knowledge of the sector, management of the file by combining knowledge of the smallest detail and a high level of vision, skill in negotiation.‘
‘Fun to work with, knowledgeable, easy-going, hard-working – a great team.‘
Caisse des dépôts et Consignations
Willis Towers Watson
- Advised L’Oréal in the context of its acquisition of the fragrance business of Clarins, including the worldwide Mugler and Loris Azzaro perfume businesses.
- Advised Dongfeng Motor Group, a reference shareholder of Peugeot S.A., on the merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Groupe PSA.
- Advised Crédit Agricole and CACEIS on their joint venture with Santander in the securities services sector.
Providing a 'more economical solution than other firms, yet with a high level of service', De Pardieu Brocas Maffei is a major player in the French M&A market. Recently advising CNP Assurances and its board of directors on its change of control, the practice has a strong track record of joint ventures, restructurings, stock exchange transactions and distressed mandates. Retained by investors, funds, listed and unlisted companies both domestically and internationally, the department is particularly active in the financial services, real estate and energy sectors. Magali Masson joined the team from Franklin in January 2020 and is well versed in advising on cross-border mandates, strategic alliances and commercial partnerships. The practice is jointly led by Patrick Jaïs, Jean-François Pourdieu and Guillaume Touttée.
‘An excellent team, very close to the operational teams to try to better understand the stakes of an operation for their client. Very available, of a very high technical level and very pleasant on a daily basis.‘
‘The M&A team of Cabinet De Pardieu is available and knows how to adapt perfectly to its operational contacts.‘
‘Frédéric Keller is lawyer with whom it is very enjoyable to work. A person of confidence, he always defends the best interests of his client.‘
‘Very good team that offers quality and comprehensive support on M&A operations on renewable energy files.‘
‘Excellent quality of execution. Strong involvement of partners.‘
‘Guillaume Touttée is a remarkable lawyer. His tremendous expertise goes beyond mergers and acquisitions and integrates real estate, stock market, banking and even regulatory law, which ensures his clients’ full control of their most complex transactions.‘
‘Human-sized and efficient team. Much more economical solution than other firms, yet with a high level of service.‘
‘Very attentive, available and efficient. Pragmatic people who are committed to moving the file forward. Respectful of budgets and not forcing invoicing.‘
EDF ENERGIES NOUVELLES
LA BANQUE POSTALE
CREDIT AGRICOLE ASSURANCES
- Advised CNP Assurances and its Board of Directors on its change of control and its business consequences.
- Advised AccorInvest on the acquisition of 85.8% stake in the Polish hotel group Orbis from Accor for € 1.06bn.
- Advised the sellers and Asteelflash on the sale of Asteelflash to the chinese group Universal Scientific Industrial.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is particularly active in the large and upper-mid cap market segments. The practice is well known for its work on cross-border transactions, leading on Total's acquisition of the Energías de Portugal’s portfolio of 2.5m customers and combined cycle power plants. Olivier Diaz, who is described as an 'excellent technician' leads the department, specialising in acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. The team has deep bench strength, with key names including Charles de Reals, Julien David, Christophe Eck and Jean-Gabriel Flandrois. It was further strengthened by the arrival of Jean-François Louit and Caroline Lan who joined from Mayer Brown in September 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Charles de Reals; Julien David; Christopher Eck; Jean-Gabriel Flandrois; Jean-Francois Louit; Caroline Lan
‘Very close-knit team, efficient therefore and with a very good knowledge of the French market.‘
‘Olivier Diaz is an excellent technician, a very fine negotiator and appreciated by CEOs for his work combining both business and law.‘
‘Easy to access, efficient, clear.’
‘Gide’s M&A team has unique experience in transactions, small and large, national or international. Very institutional and reassuring while being flexible and agile. General feeling of legal certainty.‘
‘Experienced and accessible and simple at the same time. No arrogance, only competence.‘
‘Consistent technical excellence. Superb reactivity.‘
‘Partner Guillaume Rougier-Brierre is outstanding. He knows how to engage just the right level of firm resources at the right time. A level-headed, astute negotiator.‘
‘Charles de Reals is an excellent lawyer.‘
Groupe Bruxelles Lambert
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Unibail Rodamco Westfield
Agence des Participations de l’Etat
KPS Capital Partners
- Advised Groupe Bruxelles Lambert (GBL) on its exclusive negotiations for the acquisition of the Webhelp group.
- Advised Total in the context of the acquisition of the Energías de Portugal’s portfolio of 2.5m B2C customers and two gas-fired combined cycle power plants.
- Advised MeilleursAgents and its shareholders on the 100% sale of the share capital of Falguière Conseil (MeilleursAgents) to AVIV, a subsidiary of German media group Axel Springer SE, for a total amount of €200m
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP 's four-partner team is led by the highly regarded public M&A specialist Hubert Segain, who notably advised Altran Technologies as part of the €5bn friendly tender offer initiated by Capgemini. The wider team is recognised on the domestic and European markets, typically retained by blue-chip companies on both inbound and outbound transactions, in the mid and large-cap market segments. An area of growth for the department has been in corporate governance issues, with the team now advising a number of listed clients on their internal organisation. Other key contacts include Frédéric Bouvet, Edouard Thomas and Christopher Theris.
Other key lawyers:
Frédéric Bouvet; Edouard Thomas; Christopher Theris
‘Frédéric Bouvet is an excellent lawyer with an unparalleled capacity for work and analysis, he always manages to make himself available, and to manage each case with exceptional and constant quality.‘
‘Extremely efficient and trustworthy team with partners having a deep knowledge of the business, a flawless legal mastery, a real knowledge of the latest benchmarks and market references and above all a business sense.‘
‘Frédéric Bouvet is a very high quality partner: technical mastery, finesse, availability, team leadership, business sense, strength of proposal.‘
‘The team was very professional: available, understanding very well the issues of the various parties in place, proposing adapted solutions.’
‘Frédéric Bouvet (Partner) and Sophie de Labrouhe (Counsel) were absolutely key in the operation that we carried out. We appreciated their technical know-how, their availability, and their ability to ease any tensions that appeared.‘
‘Excellent level of the M&A team and flawless support from partners.‘
‘Hubert Segain takes each business as a new beginning and provides advice according to the context, the client, and the objective. Always fair and to the point.‘
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
Farallon Capital Management
Holding d’Infrastructures Gazières
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Maurel & Prom
- Advised Altran Technologies as part of the €5bn friendly tender offer initiated by Capgemini on 100% of its share capital and voting rights.
- Advised Spanish company Cellnex Telecom, Europe’s leading operator of wireless telecommunications infrastructure, on its €4bn acquisition of Iliad’s telecom towers in France, Switzerland and Italy.
- Advised Engie, a world leader in transitioning the energy sector towards renewable sources and EDPR, a global leader in the renewable energy sector, on the creation of a co-controlled 50/50 joint-venture in fixed and floating offshore wind.
Latham & Watkins' 'responsive and dedicated team' is a leading player in the cross-border M&A market, leveraging its global network of offices to supply a seamless service. Especially active in the jumbo- and large-cap market segments, the department acts for several public companies including L’Oreal and Atos. The team regularly draws on expertise in the firm's well-regarded capital markets, finance, tax, employment and antitrust groups, providing clients with a 'one-stop-shop' for transactions. Practice-head Pierre-Louis Cléro is a name to note for complex public and private M&A mandates, while up-and-coming counsel Semih Bayar Eren is highly regarded for his work on international strategic transactions. Patrick Laporte and Olivier du Mottay are further key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Semih Bayar Eren; Patrick Laporte; Olivier du Mottay
‘Hard-working, responsive and knowledgeable.‘
‘Very responsive and dedicated team. They know the ins and outs of French (public) M&A market and are able to turn complex legal issues into practical advice.‘
- Advised TechnipFMC in a planned spin-off transaction.
- Advised Atos in the sale of c. 23.9m Worldline shares, for c. €1.5bn, through a placement to qualified investors by way of an accelerated bookbuilding offering.
- Advised the founders of Babilou and TA Associates in the context of the investment of Antin Infrastructure Partners in Babilou.
'Well sized to optimize added value for the customer', Linklaters is recognised as a leader in the infrastructure sector, with further strength in energy, tech and financial services. Retained by a mix of banks, corporates and PE houses, the department's activity is primarily in the jumbo- to mid-cap segments, with the practice well known for taking on a high volume of transactions every year. As part of a full-service offering, specialists in financing, competition, employment and litigation are frequently called in to provide their expertise on deals. Bruno Derieux, who is always 'in search of optimization and efficiency', leads the corporate practice. Also of note are Fabrice de la Morandière, Alain Garnier and Pierre Tourres. Marc Petitier left the firm for White & Case LLP in December 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Fabrice de la Morandière; Alain Garnier; Pierre Tourres
‘Full dedication to our project. Valuable experience in high volume transactions.‘
‘Alain Garnier – impressive knowledge, very sophisticated thinker.‘
‘The team is always very well sized to optimize added value for the customer. It is always very easy to contact a member of the team at any time. The job is completed on time and on budget. Very good management of the work done by the foreign offices.‘
‘Bruno Derieux is very invested in his clients’ files and always in search of optimization and efficiency.‘
Alantra Capital Markets
SIX Group AG
the Gabonese State
LVMH Group/ Les Echos/ Connaissance des Arts
Terminal Investment Limited
- Advising BPIfrance in the context of the contemplated tender offer of Worldline on Ingenico Group.
- Advised ENGIE on the agreement with EDPR to create a co-controlled 50/50 joint-venture (JV) in fixed and floating offshore wind.
- Advised Atlas Arteria (listed in Sydney) on its acquisition alongside Eiffage of Macquarie’s stake in French largest toll road APRR and ADELAC.
'Ideal for advancing a deal', Shearman & Sterling LLP's industry sector strength in financial institutions, TMT, healthcare and energy, combined with its expertise across the full range of transactions, make it a comprehensive practice for clients. Matters on which the department is particularly rated include public and private M&A, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and tender offers. Many of the team's top mandates also have a significant cross-border element, with the firm's offices in UK, Germany and Italy working seamlessly with the Paris-based practice. Guillaume Isautier is in charge, assisted by Nicolas Bombrun. Adding to the group's bench strength, Thomas Philippe was hired from Mayer Brown in October 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Philippe; Nicolas Bombrun
‘Brilliant team, extremely responsive and business-oriented. Ideal for advancing a deal.’
‘Guillaume Isautier literally carries the files from start to finish. He is extremely involved in all of his files which is always very appreciable. He gets over all blockages and having him by his side around the negotiating table is a big advantage. Very good expertise in the banking sector.‘
‘Technicality, proactivity, availability, pragmatism: Shearman ticks all the boxes and, in my opinion, offers one of the best quality of service on the Parisian market.‘
‘Guillaume Isautier appropriates his clients’ projects as if they were his own, and that changes everything: he anticipates subjects perfectly, asks himself the right questions and keeps a global vision at all times.‘
First Eagle Investment Management LLC
La CCI Lyon Métropole
Lescure Family (SEB)
- Advised ALD Automotive, one of the leading global provider of mobility solutions, in connection with the creation of a joint venture with Ford dedicated to providing new integrated fleet leasing and management solutions across Europe under the name of Ford Fleet Management.
- Advised Société Générale in connection with the signing of an agreement to sell SG Finans AS, its equipment finance and factoring activities in Norway, Sweden and Denmark, to Nordea Finance.
- Advised Siparex in connection with its minority investment in French construction services firm Batibig alongside founders/directors/majority shareholders Charles and Justin Bignon.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP manages a high-profile and complex caseload, with a standout highlight advising SCOR S.E on its defence against an €8.3bn unsolicited takeover proposal from Covéa. A distinguishing feature of the practice is its close relationship with the firm's US offices, making it a popular choice for US companies. Shareholder activism defence and hostile takeovers are further areas of strength, with the firm's sweet spot being in the large-cap market segment. Head of European M&A and managing partner of the Paris office Armand Grumberg is highly regarded in the field. Arash Attar-Rezvani is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Armand Grumberg and François Barrière are excellent professionals in M&A. Strong ability to offer innovative and sophisticated solutions in the structuring of operations.‘
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton S.E.
Dassault Systèmes SE
WABCO Holdings Inc.
International Paper Company
- Advised LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton S.E. in connection with its proposed $16.2bn acquisition of Tiffany & Co.
- Advised Dassault Systèmes S.E. on its $5.8bn acquisition of Medidata Solutions, Inc.
- Advised SCOR S.E on its successful defence against an €8.3bn unsolicited takeover proposal from COVEA.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP represents several major listed French companies, covering the whole spectrum of public and private transactions. Active in the upper mid-cap and large-cap segments of the market, the department has a comprehensive offering which includes securities regulations, public takeovers, anti-takeover defences, joint ventures and corporate reorganisations. Corporate restructurings have been an area of recent growth, in particular for listed clients. Cross-border work is also handled. Senior partner Claude Serra leads the practice, and as well as being an experienced M&A specialist, litigates on a range of corporate matters. He is assisted by Benjamin de Blegiers, Yannick Piette and Agathe Soilleux. Arthur de Baudry d’Asson left to join Paul Hastings LLP in September 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Benjamin de Blégiers; Yannick Piette; Agathe Soilleux
Compagnie Nationale du Rhone
- Advised Euris on the minority investment into it by Fimalac Group, including a €230m refinancing of Rallye, following the restructuring of Rallye.
- Advising Mobilux on its acquisition of Conforoma from Steinhoff.
- Advising Companie Nationale du Rhône group on its acquisition from Vol-V of a development platform and various project companies holding wind or solar energy project in France.
Buoyed by a significant hiring spree in the last two years which has included the addition of Marc Petitier from Linklaters in December 2020, White & Case LLP houses a strong M&A practice, retained by a number of major French listed companies in financial services including BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole and Natixis. The department also excels in the energy, tech and automotive sectors, with a good track record advising on cross-border mandates. Public and private transactions are both part of the caseload, with the team being particularly active in the upper mid-cap segment. Hugues Mathez is in charge, assisted by Saam Golshani, Nathalie Nègre-Eveillard, Guillaume Vitrich, Franck De Vita, Guillaume Vallat, François Leloup and Alexis Hojabr.
Other key lawyers:
Saam Golshani; Nathalie Nègre-Eveillard; Guillaume Vitrich; Alexis Hojabr; Marc Petitier; Franck de Vita; Guillaume Vallat; François Leloup
Argus Media Limited
Bluestar Adisseo Company
Boussard & Gavaudan
FRHI Holding Limited
Groupe Frans Bonhomme
Ho Hio Hen
Kingdom Holding Company of Saudi Arabia
Qatar Investment Authority
Swedish Steel AB
- Advised Nestlé S.A. in connection with its sale of a 60% stake of Herta to Casa Tarradellas.
- Advised Les Dérivés Résiniques et Terpéniques, and its majority shareholer Ardian, in connection with Firmenich’s exclusive agreement to acquire DRT from Ardian, Tikehau Capital and family shareholders.
- Advised Faurecia on the creation of its joint venture with Michelin.
Able to pull together cross-disciplinary teams from the firm's employment, public law, competition and tax teams, French firm August Debouzy's corporate practice is a player in the mid-cap market segment. Recognised for its sectorial expertise across aeronautics, defence, telecoms and infrastructure, the team undertakes both domestic and cross-border transactions.. Valéry Denoix de Saint Marc is a key name for the latter kind of deals, having helped launch the German desk in 2019. Gilles August, Julien Aucomte, Julien Wagmann, Jérôme Brosset and Pierre Descheemaeker are all key contacts.
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
I Squared Capital
Urban Sports Club
Cornerstone OnDemand Inc.
- Advised Banque des Territoires on the acquisition of a minority stake, alongside Tenergie and Crédit Agricole Pyrénées-Gascogne Énergies Nouvelles, in Terres d’Energie.
- Advised Total, through its wholly owned subsidiary, Total Quadran, in its acquisition of Global Wind Power France from Fred, Olsen Renewables AS and Global Wind Power Europe.
- Advised the shipping company Brittany Ferries in connection with the acquisition of Condor Ferries from the investment fund Macquarie.
Cross-border transactions are a key part of the caseload at Baker McKenzie, with the Paris-based team working in cooperation with the firm's US offices. The practice is well known for its ability to advise on inbound and outbound transactions, with high levels of activity in the upper mid-cap segment of the market, although it also appears on large-cap mandates. Counting among its members the global chair of the firm's consumer goods and retail industry group Alyssa Auberger, the team has further sectorial expertise in tech, healthcare and life sciences. Stéphane Davin chairs the EMEA M&A practice, and is experienced in joint ventures and PE transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good availability, sharp expertise.‘
Archer Daniels Midland
- Advised the global technology company Pitney Bowes on the sale of its Software Solutions Business to Centerbridge, a private equity fund.
- Acting as lead counsel to French retailer Casino Group on the sale of its subsidiary Vindemia for €219m to retail company GBH.
- Advised German group Siemens on the separation/spinoff of its high voltage equipment maintenance business Merlin Gerin.
Providing 'useful, pragmatic advice', DLA Piper is active on mid-cap and large-cap transactions, with its global network of offices facilitating cross-border deals. Retained by investment funds, shareholders, industrial groups and management teams, the core focus is on the tech, retail, manufacturing, energy, infrastructure and hospitality sectors. The department has also pioneered several M&A solutions, including comparative guides and intelligence reports designed to assist clients in comparing global jurisdictions. Jointly led by Jeremy Scemama and Xavier Norlain, who are both highly regarded in the field, the team has further bench strength in the form of Simon Charbit, Sarmad Haidar and Sonia de Kondserovsky.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Charbit; Sarmad Haidar; Sonia de Kondserovsky
‘Rigorous team in its technical analysis. Great listening and good interactions in the various discussions. Ability to coordinate effectively with firms outside France during cross-border transactions.‘
‘Partner Simon Charbit is excellent. Tremendous responsiveness and always maintains a business-oriented overall view of any engagement.‘
‘The overall service is excellent. DLA are highly responsive and technically first class. They have a great team with a breadth of experience and provide useful, pragmatic advice that enables us to make informed decisions and execute against business objectives.‘
‘From junior to partner: great availability and responsiveness, team perfectly sized for the needs of the client who is in total confidence.‘
‘High availability, attentive to customer needs, impeccable technique which allows a deal to be delivered on time.‘
Cube Infrastructure Managers
Fosun International Limited
AON Holdings France
Prima Solutions Holding
Groupe Homair Vacances
- Advising the Worldline Group in the context of the acquisition of EquensWordline.
- Advising Webhelp in the context of the sale of its capital by its majority shareholder KKR to Groupe Bruxelles Lambert (GBL).
- Advising France Air Group in the context of the acquisition of SIG’s Air Handling Division.
Active in Paris since 1967, Gibson Dunn's corporate practice has institutional relationships with several US clients, and increasingly with domestic companies including Groupe Canal+, BPIfrance and Banque Française Mutualiste. With much of the work having a cross-border element, the department handles negotiated and contested mergers, stock and asset purchases, tender and exchange offers, spin-offs, and restructurings. Particularly active in the emerging, growth and middle-market sectors, the firm's network of offices in the US, Europe Middle East and Asia facilitates a seamless service for many of its multinational corporate clients. Bernard Grinspan and Ariel Harroch lead the practice. Nataline Fleury, who joined the team from Ashurst LLP in 2019, specialises in the employment law aspects of transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Groupe La Poste / Docaposte
Finaveo / OFI Advisers
Banque Française Mutualiste
- Advised Docaposte, a La Poste subsidiary active in the digital sector, in connection with a number of key transactions.
- Advised Group Vivarte, a leading French retailer of fashion, shoe and leather goods, in connection with a number of strategic sales in the context of its restructuring.
- Advising Banque Française Mutualiste in connection with a number of key acquisitions.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP corporate group is supported by the firm's tax, financing, competition, employment and real estate practice groups; its broad service offering is popular with both French and overseas clients. Focused on the energy, transportation, TMT, financial institutions and automotive sectors, the department is largely active on mid-cap deals with some mandates in the large-cap market segment. Jean-Marc Franceschi jointly leads the practice alongside corporate and private equity partners Xavier Doumen and Stéphane Huten. Sébastien Gros is another key member of the team. In January 2021 M&A and private equity experts Matthieu Grollemund and Hélène Parent joined from Baker McKenzie. New counsel Pierre-Marie Boya arrived from Bredin Prat April 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Endemol Shine Group
Aéroports de Paris
Europcar Mobility Group
Groupe SNCF / Ermewa / Akiem
Electricité de France
Uber / Cityscoot
- Advised Groupe ADP regarding a share purchase agreement to acquire a 49% stake in GMR Airports, a major Indian airport group.
- Advised Akiem Group, European leader in locomotive leasing, on the whole-business acquisition of Macquarie Europe Rail’s rolling stock leasing business including 137 locomotives, 110 carriages and 46 trains.
- Advised BNP Paribas in relation to the financing of the acquisition of Altran Technologies by Capgemini.
'M&A powerhouse' Jones Day represents a stellar client list, which includes Société Générale, Sanofi, Total and EDF. The team is primarily active on mid-cap deals, but is also visible on some large-cap mandates. Sectorial expertise is focused on life sciences, real estate, energy and financial services and the department is well known for its proficiency in cross-border transactions within these sectors. Sophie Hagège leads the practice, with a good track record advising on joint ventures, strategic alliances, and commercial agreements. Other key names include Audrey Bontemps, Alexandre de Verdun, Renaud Bonnet and Gaël Saint Olive.
Other key lawyers:
Audrey Bontemps; Alexandre de Verdun; Renaud Bonnet; Gaël Saint Olive
‘Strong expertise and excellence in M&A & financing. Great accessibility of the partners and associates. Team’s approach is focused on pragmatism which is highly valuable.‘
‘The quality of their work is excellent, they are probably one of the best when it comes to complex transaction deals. They are very well organised, very responsive and exceptionally creative in finding solutions to their clients’ issues.‘
‘Alexandre de Verdun is an exceptional lawyer who is solution-oriented and pragmatic. He knows all the details of the transaction, thinks strategically and provides precise and effective advice.‘
‘Delphine Sauvebois-Brunel is a talented, hard-working lawyer with great matter and client management skills. She is very pleasant in communication and I really appreciate her prompt replies on any request.‘
‘Clearly an M&A powerhouse, the team is excellent in all respects – responsive, reliable, attentive to the client’s needs and in overall command of the process. They ran the show.‘
‘Jones Day has a fantastic global network that, unlike some other firms, truly work well together at a consistently high level.‘
‘The partners I have worked with are very involved in the detail of the transactions and very aware of commercial sensitivities, which allows them to anticipate issues and give pertinent advice. They adapt themselves well to the needs of the transaction and the other parties.‘
‘Outstanding capability to work as a team: cross-border and cross-culture.‘
Greystar Real Estate Partners, LLC
Agence des Participations de l’Etat
- Advised Société Générale in connection with its exit from various Central and Eastern European jurisdictions.
- Advised Pisto on its proposed acquisition of Total’s stake in Trapil.
- Advised Greystar Real Estate Partners, LLC in relation to a joint venture for the development of purpose-built student accommodation and young professional accommodation in the Greater Paris region.
Lacourte Raquin Tatar has a firm footprint in the transportation sector, advising SNCF on the merger of Eurostar and Thalys on the Green Speed project. Other sectorial expertise includes real estate, financial services and telecoms, and although it is a domestic firm, the department is well experienced in handling cross-border transactions. Serge Tatar, who one client lauded as 'a fine analyst of complex situations' is in charge, assisted by Nicolas Jüllich, Renaud Rossa and Guillaume Roche.
Other key lawyers:
Nicolas Jüllich; Renaud Rossa; Guillaume Roche
‘Serge Tatar is one of the best M&A lawyers at the moment. A brilliant lawyer and a fine analyst of complex situations.‘
‘A dynamic, responsive and daring team with advanced legal knowledge.‘
‘Partners and teams available.‘
‘We appreciate the quality of their work, their dedication, the capacity to handle several transactions at the same time in different geographies and their availability.‘
‘Renaud Rossa is a great professional, always available, with a tremendous experience and knowledge of the telco sector. Great capacity to understand technical issues and reflect them accordingly in the documentation.‘
MCS & Associés – iQera
- Advised SNCF on the merger of Eurostar and Thalys (Green Speed Project).
- Advised BNP Paribas Real Estate on the creation of a JV for the acquisition and development of the ‘Arboretum’ office real estate project in Nanterre/La Défense.
- Advised funds managed by Amundi Immobilier as part of the partnership with Crédit Agricole Centre-Est following the acquisition of a portfolio of 38 assets in Lyon from the sovereign fund Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
Orrick Rambaud Martel occupies a prominent place in the tech, telecoms, energy and infrastructure sectors, often acting on transformational mandates, which includes advising Saur on its acquisition of the Nijhuis Industries. Inbound and outbound transactions are routinely undertaken, as are public and private M&A deals. The department is most active in the mid-cap and large-cap segments, and is retained by domestic and global corporations including BT, Euro Disney and AXA IM. Olivier Jouffroy arrived from Clifford Chance in April 2020, bringing with him a broad corporate practice. Patrick Tardivy, Jean-Pierre Martel and George Rigo lead the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Technical, reactive. available and commercial.‘
‘Patrick Tardivy has very good knowledge of retail and is very good at negotiation.‘
‘Excellent technical level, expertise and experience of the team, particularly in stock market law.‘
‘Alexis Marraud des Grottes: always available and providing sound advice.‘
‘Fast, efficient and service-minded.‘
‘Olivier Jouffroy is an outstanding adviser for M&A and private equity. He is hard-working and efficient and exceptionally service minded.‘
BT Group Plc
EPF & FFP
SIB (Société d’Investissement Bastide)
- Advised Saur on its acquisition of the Dutch company Nijhuis Industries, a leader in the industrial water treatment sector.
- Advised French industrial group Nexeya on the creation of Hemeria, a wholly owned subsidiary to further develop the company’s space activities.
- Advised BT Group plc (BT), one of the world’s leading providers of communications solutions and services, on negotiating the sale of BT’s domestic operations in France to Computacenter.
Paul Hastings LLP
Appreciated for its 'ability to quickly set up a multidisciplinary and pragmatic team', Paul Hastings LLP is a recognised name in the upper mid-cap market segment, with substantial expertise in the private equity sector. This has deepened with the arrival of Arthur de Baudry d’Asson from Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP in September 2020 to add to the arrival of Charles Cardon from Dechert LLP in 2019. The wider team is active in highly regulated sectors, including life sciences, defence and telecoms. Edith Boucaya, Olivier Deren and Etienne Mathey are the key contacts. Former practice head Guillaume Kellner left the firm for McDermott Will & Emery AARPI in December 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Charles Cardon; Edith Boucaya; Olivier Deren; Etienne Mathey; Arthur de Baudry d’Asson
‘Ability to quickly set up a multidisciplinary and pragmatic team.‘
‘Charles Cardon is an excellent professional who delivers a thoughtful but fast service, pragmatic and enthusiastic service, in the interest of the client.‘
Amundi Private Equity
Astorg Asset Management
Equistone Partners Europe
Jones Lang LaSalle
- Advised Monaco Telecom on its agreement with Vodafone Group to acquire Vodafone Malta for €250m.
- Advised Naxicap Partners and its founders on the sale of Acolad.
- Represented the seller and managers of Strapharm, the leading France-based food production company, in the sale of the company to M80.
Simmons & Simmons
The 'knowledgeable and available' team at Simmons & Simmons is a key player across four industry sectors: asset management and investment funds, financial institutions, life sciences and healthcare, and TMT. Increasingly visible in the private equity space, due in part to the hire of Jérôme Patenotte and his team from Gowling WLG in June 2019, the department represents both national and multinational corporates. Christian Taylor leads the practice, in which Simonetta Giordano is another key name, specialising in healthcare and life sciences, energy and consumer goods sector, with a focus on France, Italy and Africa.
Other key lawyers:
Simonetta Giordano; Jérôme Patenotte
‘The team is always knowledgeable and available. They always find quick and relevant solutions to the problems encountered by our company.‘
Alpha Healthgroup (Cooper and Vemedia)
Valor Real Estate Partners LLP
- Advised Alpha Healthgroup on the acquisition of Diepharmex Laboratories and the Audispray range.
- Advised Dentressangle on its acquisition of a majority stake in Marle.
- Advised Alpha Healthgroup on the acquisition from GSK of the Bialcol and Cibalgina range.
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Olivier de Vilmorin leads the M&A practice at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP with extensive experience in private equity, restructuring and capital markets transactions. The wider team is active in the mid-cap market segment and is able to leverage the firm's global network of offices to advise on cross-border transactions.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP fields a 'very strong team on cross-border operations'. The practice is well versed in acting for privately held and publicly listed companies on a range of mandates including contested takeovers, strategic alliances, management buyouts, leveraged recaps, and corporate reorganisations. Active in the transport, automotive, tech and chemical sectors, the department is able to call on expertise from the firm's finance, litigation, restructuring and tax teams to assist on transactions. Among the practice's deep bench, Annette Péron, Daniel Hurstel, Cédric Hajage, and Eduardo Fernandez are among the key contacts.
‘The best team I have ever worked with in the last 20 years. A team with which it is, in human terms, very pleasant to work. Very strong team on cross-border operations.‘
‘High availability at any time. Extremely efficient team. Very open-minded personalities.‘
Elior Group S.A.
Compagnie Nationale à Portefeuille
- Advised Bpifrance on Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot SA’s agreement to merge.
- Advised CMA CGM on its binding agreement with China Merchants Port (CMP) to sell a portfolio of 10 port terminals to Terminal Link.
- Advised Lagardère on the sale of its leading global sports marketing firm Lagardère Sports to H.I.G. Capital.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competent team, dynamic and extremely available and of course pleasant. Real à la carte support.‘
‘Prompt to understand and agree the mission. Always responding to the requirements in a very short time.‘
‘Gilles Gaillard and Julie Rolet were fully committed to the work during our engagement Not only working on the file but also understanding the background.‘
‘Perfectly managed team in terms of skills, availability and commitment for acquisition files.‘
‘Competent, available, reliable, attentive to your needs and the context in which the operation takes place.‘
‘I worked in M&A with Jean-Nicolas Soret who leads discussions and negotiations with serenity and professionalism.‘
‘Excellent team, with intimate knowledge of the insurance sector and the social economy. The team also has in-depth knowledge of merger and acquisition techniques and a good knowledge of the administrative workings to negotiate with the ACPR regulator.‘
‘The lawyers with whom I have worked demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, a very high level of availability and responsiveness and are truly committed to the client.‘
SOPRA STERIA GROUP
ALTAWEST / CDC
COVÉA / BPCE
- Advised the German discount distribution leader ALDI on the €735m acquisition of LEADER PRICE in France from CASINO.
- Advised the group RENAULT, the pioneer and leader in electric vehicles in Europe, on a joint venture with SOLSTYCE.
- Advised SOPRA BANKING SOFTWARE for its acquisition of 70% of SAB, a software publisher, who was its main direct competitor in France.
‘Availability, responsiveness, professionalism and technical skill.‘
Apollo Global Management
Ramsay Générale de Santé
Compagnie de Saint Gobain
SADE – Veolia
Circle Media Group
- Advised the CTS EVENTIM group, the European leader in the ticketing sector, in connection with its partnership with the Fnac Darty group.
- Advised Apollo Global Management, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of a substantial portion of the former SPX FLOW, Inc.
- Advised Vivalto Santé and Icade Santé in connection with the acquisition of Groupe Confluent.
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
‘Responsiveness and high quality services with a significant commercial acumen.‘
‘Alain Decombe is a top lawyer who always understands business needs. His knowledge and experience are outstanding and I can say I feel more than safe in his hands.‘
‘Full services team. Top management. Very responsive and reactive.‘
‘The M&A team led by Ermine Bolot is extremely competent, experienced and dedicated to their work for clients. They perfectly understand the industry and the market, and offer an individual approach to every problem.‘
‘A 100% dedicated team with a cutting-edge expertise on complex deals. A capacity to consider and support a transaction regardless of its financial value.‘
‘Unparalleled expertise in healthcare. Alain Decombe is THE star in the space!‘
‘Great ability to work with international companies.‘
‘Very proactive and always available. Really appreciate their advice in tense negotiations.‘
Laboratoire HRA Pharma
Illinois Tool Works
Stanley Black & Decker
- Advised Arkema in connection with several acquisitions including Lambson Limited (and its affiliates), Prochimir S.A.S. (and its US subsidiaries) and Fixatti.
- Advised ArchiMed and Polyplus-transfection (a developer of innovative and cost-effective technology used in gene and cell therapy) in Polyplus-transfection’s sale process as part of an open bid.
- Advised Interchim and its family shareholders in its sale to Junzheng, a Chinese group listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
Other key lawyers:
Guillaume Kessler; Catherine Joffroy
‘This practice is unique due to its international network and the extent of its skills.‘
‘We work, among others, with Maître Joffroy, Catherine and Maître Leger, Frédérique. We appreciate their availability, the relevance of their advice as well as their frank and open communication.’
‘With Dentons, we’ve never asked a question and received a law course in response – unusable and useless from a practical point of view, billed at full price. Their advice is systematically relevant, ‘solution-oriented’ and adapted to our request.‘
‘Very good team, professional, pragmatic and very focused on the activity of its customers in order to provide services best suited to their needs.‘
‘Catherine Joffroy is an excellent lawyer, available, professional and dedicated to her clients.‘
Dries Van Noten
Editions Lefebvre Sarrut
KSL Capital Partners
- Advised Marietton Développement on its investment in Bleu Voyages.
- Advising Lima NATUURVOEDINGSBEDRIJF B.V, a subsidiary of The Hain Celestial Group Inc., in the sale of 100% of the shares of Danival SAS to Wessanen France Holding SAS.
- Advising MEDIA 6 on its acquisition, through a SPA, of the Canadian company Interior Manufacturing Group (IMG), specialized in the design and manufacturing of luxury retail interiors and furnishings in the North American market.
- Advising the CNES (French space agency) in the reconfiguration of the share capital of CLS.
- Advising JOST WERKE AG on its acquisition of Alö Holding AB.
- Advising SIPH on the buy-out offer by Michelin on SIPH, acting together with SIFCA, followed by the squeeze out of SIPH.
‘High-level multidisciplinary team, very available and responsive. Significant analytical skills, optimal efficiency, sense of the objective to be achieved and respect for the requested schedule.‘
‘In addition to the individual skills necessary for the success of the mission, the search for close collaboration with the internal teams, in a constructive and friendly spirit, constitutes an undeniable advantage.‘
‘A very structured team that is close to its customers, with a person in charge of coordinating all the stakeholders – which has made it possible to establish a real climate of trust at all levels of our organization and to streamline complex operations.‘
‘Maxence Bloch showed great availability, strong creativity, and determination in order to achieve success.‘
Groupe Go Sport
- Advised the shareholders of Acrelec on Glory Global Solutions’s significant investment in Acrelec.
- Advised Cisco Systems on the acquisition of the French Cybersecurity company, Sentryo.
- Advised the Junzheng Group and its affiliate Advion on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Interchim, Interchim Instruments, Novaquest, Orgabiochrom and their US and UK subsidiaries.
SWISS LIFE AM
DCC ENERGY LTD
INNERGEX ENERGIE RENOUVELABLE
DONNELLEY FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS
NIPPON STEEL CORPORATION
LOHMAN & RAUSCHER
- Advised the pharmaceutical subcontractor Famar on the sale of its European and Canadian assets.
- Advised Interdigital, Inc. on the acquisition of Technicolor’s Research & Innovation Unit.
- Advised Canadian energy producer Enbridge on the development and financing of an offshore wind farm located off the coast of Fécamp (Normandy).
‘The team proposed a tailor-made solution taking into account the specific context, and demonstrating professionalism, a sense of commitment, competence and responsiveness.‘
Mediawan and its founders
- Advised BidCo Breteuil and Mediawan on three simultaneous strategic operations: a tender offer on all Mediawan, the acquisition of Lagardère Studios, the acquisition of Groupe Troisième Oeil’s audio visual activities, and the conditional acquisition of 25% of Leonine in the event of a successful takeover bid.
- Advising Mediawan on the conditional acquisition of Lagardère Studios, a key player in the creation, production, distribution and management of audio visual content in Europe and Africa.
- Advised Pernod Ricard in connection with the sale of Café de Paris to InVivo Wine.
Norton Rose Fulbright
‘Very strong PE, corporate finance and regulatory team which can offer a one-stop-shop for complex transactions. The team is strong across all levels and we are always confident of great service at value for money.‘
‘Bénédicte Denis is highly impressive – both with regard to her technical skills and commercial negotiations. Time and again she focuses on the most important points of risk and value for us and fight for us on them.‘
‘Responsive and rigorous.‘
‘Its strength lies in its international network and the legal analysis of documents provided is thorough and relevant.‘
‘Availability, efficiency and attention to detail.‘
‘Professional, united, interactive, proactive and efficient team.‘
‘They are able to create a relationship and an excellent working/collaboration climate, which generates trust.‘
Banque Fédérative du Crédit Mutuel
AnaCap Financial Partners
Allianz SE & Allianz Africa
- Advised Banque Fédérative du Crédit Mutuel and Euro-Information on the exclusivity agreement entered into with Bouygues Telecom relating to the contemplated disposal to the latter of Euro-Information Telecom.
- Advised Investissement Québec on its capital investment in the company Flying Whales, a French company which develops the aeronautical program for the LCA60T airship.
Peltier Juvigny Marpeau & Associés
‘We appreciate the team’s availability, anticipation of problems and proposed solutions.’
‘High-level team, very responsive and technical.‘
‘The duo formed by Benoit Marpeau and François Dietrich is of very high technical quality, inspiring great confidence even in the face of larger teams from prestigious firms.‘
Compagnie des Alpes
- Advised Casino Group in connection with the sale of several hundred of Leader Price stores and warehouses to the German leader of the hard discount sector, Aldi.
- Advised Impala in the context of the acquisition of Roger & Gallet from L’Oréal.
- Advised Casino with respect to the termination of strategic joint ventures with master franchisees as part of a substantial reorganization of Casino.
Stehlin & Associés
‘Good multidisciplinary team.‘
‘Within the Stehlin firm, Maitre Cyrille Boillot demonstrated very high level qualities; -financial technicality -great finesse of analysis and advice.’
4 Family Offices (among others: Imker Capital)
- Advised Daniel Féau Group, specialist of luxury real estate, in connection with the sale of the majority of its share capital to AltaGroupe.
- Advised HM EDITIONS on the sale of a majority stake in Les Editions de La Presse Spécialisée, Le Bridgeur, to Goto Investment.
- Advised EPC GROUPE in respect to the sale of a majority stake to European private equity group Argos Wityu.
‘A highly technical team, always with good advice, sympathetic, pragmatic and very available. In addition, the prices charged are very reasonable especially with regard to the excellence of the service. Would highly recommend.‘
‘The partner with whom we work in particular is Maître Laurent Jobert, an excellent deal maker, who knows how to support his clients in a rounded manner but with strength, pragmatism and efficiency. He is always surrounded by excellent associates.‘
‘Tailor-made approach to situations. Very strong capacity of the partners to make the different practices work together (M&A, Legal, Tax, Finance, Litigation) for the client’s benefit.‘
‘We work with Pierre Deval who has a very useful business acumen for negotiations.‘
‘Pierre Deval: Very fast, demanding, excellent network in Paris, business acumen, sound advice in legal and business matters.‘
Jacquet Metal Service
Siaci Saint Honoré
G2C – Champeau
- Assisted Lagardère with its strategic refocusing by means of continuous divestitures.
- Advised Walden on the cross-border acquisition of Movianto.
- Advised Alès Group on its restructuring.
Viguié Schmidt & Associés
‘High technical legal skill (including internationally) combined with a strong negotiating capacity and a strategic vision of cases.‘
‘Strong personal intuition aligned with strategic vision.‘
‘Very efficient and agile team. Strong knowledge of digital professions (media, e-commerce). Strong presence of partners in the course of operations.‘
‘Seniority on complex equity transactions. Understanding of the structuring of accounting and financial constraints and the structuring of post-acquisition governance.‘
Atlantic Financial Group
Crédit Agricole / CASA
SNCF / Geodis
Groupe La Française
- Acted as sole counsel to Epsys and its shareholders in connection with the merger of Epsys and Groupe Cahors, and of the restructuring of the existing debt of Groupe Cahors.
- Advised M6 on the sale of I Graal to GSG for a mixed consideration of cash and bidder securities.
- Advised Galeries Lafayette Group on the strategic partnership signed with Keys Asset Management in connection with the setting up of a joint venture in order to refit and expand the 27 500 sq meters mall located in Lyon Bron.
Villey Girard Grolleaud
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
- Advised Clarins in the context of the sale of Mugler and Azzaro to L’Oréal.
- Advising the Carrefour group in the context of the sale of Rue du Commerce to ShopInvest.
- Advised Conforama on a financing of €316m in the context of a restructuring proceeding.
Winston & Strawn LLP
Other key lawyers:
Nicola Di Giovanni; Jean-Patrice Labautière
‘W&S lawyers specializing in M&A have great business acumen and a global vision of cases. They are very involved and devoted to their clients, making them real partners of the companies they support.‘
‘I have forged close relations with Gilles Bigot since the beginning of our collaboration. He is brilliant, responsive and inventive! He doesn’t hesitate to be creative, he’s a strategist.‘
‘Julie Vern is very customer-oriented. She is intelligent, pragmatic, available, very technical and sympathetic.‘
ABN AMRO / Banque Neuflize OBC
Atlas Holdings, Inc.
Cooper & Turner
Groupe Point Vision
HIG Capital Partners
ORANO (ex AREVA)
The Jordan Company, Inc.
- Advised Omnes, a major private equity player, on its investment in a primary LBO of the BioFutur group.
- Acted as lead legal advisor to Ipsos in relation to the acquisition of the healthcare custom research of GfK (a KKR portfolio company).
- Advised Danfoss in its acquisition of Eaton’s Hydraulics business for a cash purchase price of $3.3bn.
‘Year after year, Almain continues to deliver what is expected of this type of firm: the quality and technicality of lawyers trained in the largest firms, combined with superior agility, the partners being systematically on the front line.‘
‘Cécile Davanne-Mortreux combines extreme rigour of reasoning and analysis with great pragmatism in the search for solutions, which makes her a more than appreciable partner in negotiations.’
‘Edgard Nguyen is greatly appreciated for his pragmatic approach to cases, his adaptability (regardless of his interlocutors) and his negotiating skills.‘
‘Very competent and responsive team.‘
‘Almain’s M&A team is obviously an expert in the field, enabling it to quickly understand the expectations and challenges of its clients and to respond to them in a completely appropriate manner.‘
‘Edgard Nguyen is formidably efficient in operations. He delivers on time and knows the market practice inside out which is useful in negotiations.‘
‘Almain has a very strong M&A team with tons of experience. We see them in many mid-market deals and PE transactions. In my opinion they are the best M&A boutique in Paris, which competes with some of the big names in town.‘
‘The partners of this firm work together and with us in a fluid and rapid manner. When they do not have the expertise in-house, they know how to say it unlike other firms.‘
Argynnis Group (formerly Binar AB)
Mirabaud Patrimoine Vivant
Gaztransport & Technigaz
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Fondation Ophtalmologique Adolphe de Rothschild
Safety & Technical Supplies
- Advised Diabeloop on its €31m serie B fund raising.
- Advised Mirabaud Patrimoine Vivant, a fund of Mirabaud Asset Management, on its acquisition through Zapa Dévelopment of Tara Jarmon.
- Advised Bpifrance Investissement and Etoile ID on the MBO of Chamatex.
Noam Ankri; Anne Reffay; Vincent Trevisani
Dyal Capital Partners
Sun Capital Partners
Triodos Organic Growth Fund
- Advised WPD Offshore on its joint venture with EDF Renewables and Enbridge for the development and financing of a 500 MW offshore wind farm off the coast of Fécamp.
- Advised LGT Private Debt France on the acquisition of Moria group by Naxicap Partners from Bridgepoint Development Capital.
- Advised the lenders in connection with the acquisition and financing of Siaci Saint Honoré Group by Charterhouse Capital Partners and its management.
‘Hyper efficiency resulting in time savings for clients.‘
‘Constructive attitude, efficient, very quick turnaround of drafts when needed, and unpretentious.‘
‘Close team with complementary and complete visions.‘
‘Raphaël Dalmas, Alma Nicolai and Margot Blondel are efficient, complete and very attentive.‘
‘Partners present on cases, human-sized team with good communication allowing fluid exchanges.‘
‘Great technical competence, responsiveness and accuracy of feedback and follow-up.‘
‘Astura is unique in their responsiveness, agility and creativity. They are creative, commercial and effective negotiators and work very well alongside other counsel.‘
- Advised Liqui Box, an Olympus Partners portfolio company, on the French aspects of the $685m purchase of DS Smith plastics division.
- Advised Boats Group, an Apax portfolio company, on the acquisition of Annonces du Bateau, a French marketplace owned by CarBoat Media.
- Advised a US investor on the acquisition of financial institutions in Western Africa.
‘The quality of large multidisciplinary firms with a pricing model of small firms. The best of both worlds. Employees committed and dedicated to the satisfaction of their clients.‘
‘Available, precise, competent, relevant, Stanislas Richoayez has all the qualities required to support his clients in M&A operations. We were very satisfied with his work and his good advice.‘
METROPOLE TELEVISION (M6)
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
GENERALE DU SOLAIRE
ELEPHANT AT WORK
CA C’EST PARIS
La Cabane des Bambins
Etudes et Travaux d’Armor
Recherches Exploration Produits
Société Nationale de Diffusion
- Advised ALDERYS main shareholders and founders on negotiating the sale of 100% of the share capital to GIVAUDAN.
- Acted as French counsel to UNIQA, a leading Austrian insurer, in connection with the acquisition of the Eastern European activities of AXA.
- Acted as lead counsel to POTAGER CITY, a leader of BtoB and BtoC local vegetables and fruits boxes, and its founders, in connection with the sale of a majority stake in POTAGER CITY to CARREFOUR.
Bichot & Associés
Bird & Bird
Infravia Capital Partners
Fosun Tourism Group
EnPro Industries Inc.
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
- Advised Infravia III Invest SA on the sale of its majority stake in Groupe Ocea, holding company of Ocea Smart Building, to a HoldCo formed by ICG and Predica.
- Advised Fosun Tourism Group, the world’s leading leisure-focused integrated tourism group, on its asset purchase agreement with Thomas Cook Group plc.
- Advised Groupe Sinoué, a reference player in mental health in France, in its sale to ORPEA.
Wamt Immobilien GmbH
- Advised SPIE Batignolles, a global player in construction, on the acquisition of Pieux Ouest, a company involved in the field of special foundations.
- Advised GFI Informatique, an IT company listed on Euronext Paris, in the public tender offer followed by a squeeze out initiated by Mannai Corporation.
- Advised GFI Informatique, an IT company listed on Euronext Paris, in the acquisition of the French company SIS.
Henri-Louis Delsol; Philippe Dumez; Pierre Gougé; Emmanuel Kaeppelin; Philippe Malikian; Amaury Nardone
‘The strength of the team is in its approach to manage a deal. Ultra-efficient, always well argued and very smooth. Allowing a quick closing of the deal in very good conditions.‘
‘Henri Louis Delsol is always available, responsive and provides good advice, which greatly reduces any stress that this type of situation generates.‘
‘Delsol is able to provide advice adapted to smaller structures better than traditional firms.‘
‘Philippe Malikian is a very good professional with whom it is easy to establish a bond of trust. He is very available and proactive.‘
‘Efficient team with first-rate services equivalent to the best Anglo-Saxon firms, but with a better value for money.‘
‘Great listening quality, pragmatism and availability.‘
‘Philippe Malikian is a great professional in corporate law and mergers and acquisitions. Always available. Clear. Specific. Concise.‘
‘Philippe Malikian is an outstanding negotiator. Comfortable in a wide variety of situations. With a sense of humour and timing that comes in handy in sometimes tense negotiations.‘
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
DHI Group Telecom
Frénéhard & Michaux
- Advised DHI Group Telecom on the acquisition of Bienvenue Wifi from its founders.
- Advised Golden Bees on the acquisition of a majority stake by Figaro Classified.
- Advised Frénéhard & Michaux on the acquisition of a majority stake in Gamesystem.
Eversheds Sutherland (France) LLP
‘Excellent value. Very good capabilities in M&A, corporate and employment.‘
Owen & Minor
- Advised Stirling Square in connection with the €450m sale to Naxicap Partners of the Siblu group.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on the legal due diligence and certain corporate aspects of its leveraged buyout acquisition of France-based, B&B Hotels group.
- Advised Teledyne on its $230m acquisition of the significant French assets of 3M’s gas and flame detection business.
‘Fieldfisher Paris’ Corporate M&A team is led by Philippe Netto who demonstrates great professionalism. He perfectly understands the stakes and problems of the market in which we operate and has proven to be just as effective in supporting us in the context of domestic operations as in larger-scale international operations.‘
‘Philippe Netto and his team have shown their availability, responsiveness and great adaptability to meet the challenge of these acquisitions in the midst of a health crisis.‘
Alpha Private Equity
DXC (ex CSC – Computer Sciences Corporation)
Glory Global Solutions (international) Ltd
- Assistance to Computacenter in the acquisition of the domestic activities of BTS, the French subsidiary of BT Group.
- Assistance to the Japanese multinational Glory Ltd on a major investment (80%) in French company Acrelec.
- Assisting Excelya, a leading European CRO (contract research organization) in the acquisition of three CROs operating in Europe.
Grant Thornton Société d’Avocats
‘The team is multidisciplinary, which saves time in the management of the file. Even the finance/tax due diligence can be entrusted to them.‘
‘Stéphane Bénézant is a pleasure to work with due to his extensive experience in the field.‘
‘The culture of the law firm allows it to have a good knowledge of financial issues which is essential in the management of an M&A operation.‘
‘Ability to provide a tailor-made response, adapted to the specifics of the acquisition project. Ability to respond to unexpected requests with precision, responsiveness and availability.‘
‘Multidisciplinary firm, transversal skills (auditors, financial advice, compliance consultants, GDPR, cybersecurity) Ability to manage multi-jurisdictional cross-border operations.‘
‘In addition to their experience and recognized competence, the essential and much appreciated differentiating characteristics of Stéphane Bénézant and his team reside in their availability and their resilience.’
‘The team offers good professionals, available for their clients.‘
‘Stéphane Bénézant is a good negotiator.‘
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
RICOH IMAGING EUROPE
MIRABAUD ASSET MANAGEMENT
- Advised Eurazeo-backed Albingia, a French insurance company specialized in business risks, in relation to the acquisition of Circles Group.
- Advised French Investment Fund SIPAREX on its acquisition of Metaline.
- Advised Ricoh Imaging Europe on the acquisition of Meilleure Visite.
‘Extremely available, friendly and knowledgeable.‘
‘My interlocutors are not stilted, they are happy to joke and it allows you to stay calm even when the pressure mounts.‘
ATELIER DU SOURCIL FOUNDER
- Advised Myriam Maestroni – majority shareholder, founder and President of Economie d’Energie – as well as her management team in the redistribution of 100% of the Company’s shares following the exit of a minority shareholder.
- Advised the Catsingpar Group in the context of the acquisition of the entire MPO Group.
- Advised Biomega’s managers on the sale of their stakes to Bioclinic.
Aymeric Dégremont; Virginie Belle; Romain Soiron; Thomas Saltiel; Christophe Joffe
CÉRÉA CAPITAL, UNEXO AND KRAMPOUZ MANAGERS DACO BELLO FRANCE MY MEDIA GROUP SCULPTEO’ FOUNDERS, CREADEV, XANGE, BUSINESS ANGELS LINCOLN HR GROUP QARE HONORÉ INVEST CEREA PARTNERS CONVICTIONSRH RIVES CROISSANCE HUMAN&WORK PROJECT Group LINXO GROUP MANAGERS SORTANT ET ARKEA Bpifrance CROISSANCE RAIL Bpifrance MicroDon
- Assisted Linxo Group, the management and the historical shareholders, Arkéa, with the majority sale to the Crédit Agricole Group.
- Advised Céréa Capital, Unexo and the managers on the sale of Krampouz to Groupe SEB.
- Advised Céréa Partners via its Céréa Capital II fund for the acquisition of Axium.
Latournerie Wolfrom Avocats
France Médias Monde
Gimar & Cie
Agence France Presse
Compagnie Minière Espérance
Think Publishing Limited
Société Tunisienne de Banque
Banque de l’Habitat
Central Bank of Tunisia
- Advised Mintee Studio on its acquisition by Asacha Media Group in the context of the creation of an international production company.
- Advising the shareholders of ASKIA, an IT group, with respect to the sale of majority stake in ASKIA to IPSOS Group.
- Represented Dimelco in the context of its acquisition of 100% of the share capital of SANOR.
Other key lawyers:
Philippe Raybaud; Frédéric Bailly; Stéphane Erard
‘Excellent and competent team, always available. Very good relationship with the client.‘
‘Always looking for the most protective solution, but at the same time the easiest to implement for the customer. Excellent technical level. Very fluid relationship with the client. They know how to remain calm and pragmatic in any situation.‘
CDC (Caisse des dépôts) – Banque des Territoires
La Française de l’Energie
- Advised Orano (formerly Areva) on the acquisition of the company KSB Service Energie.
- Assisted Fred. Olsen Renewables and Global Wind Power Europe on the sale of the Global Wind Power France group to Total.
- Advised CDC- Banque des Territoires in connection with the acquisition from Total, via Total Quadran.
McDermott Will & Emery AARPI
Other key lawyers:
‘Team made up mainly of senior partners with in-depth expertise. They have a very strong mobilization capacity, including in related fields, and can seek in their global network the lawyer or the external professor able to deal with a complex problem.‘
‘They are ‘deal-oriented’ and able to compromise when necessary, with the confidence of their client. Nicolas Lafont is particularly involved in the negotiations, with great rigour coupled with real honesty, to which is added an impressive capacity for work.‘
‘Jacques Buhart is a great globally well-connected and seasoned partner who I trust to get me the advice and contacts I need.‘
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
- Advised Themis on the signing of an agreement for the sale of all its outstanding share capital and voting rights to Merck.
- Advised IPSOS on several acquisition transactions, including the acquisition of an activity of Mystery Shopping business of the Maritz group.
- Represented Prudentia Capital in all aspects of the acquisition of Arjobex, a division of Arjowiggins.
Catherine Olive; David Haccoun
‘Osborne Clarke is very responsive and available and their analysis is thorough and relevant.‘
‘Osborne Clarke was able to respond to various issues encountered by our group in a precise, detailed and rapid manner.‘
‘Ready to follow different channels of action in order to get to the point.‘
‘They represented our interests until the end of the transaction and were able to demonstrate their expertise in this area through their pointed and wise advice.‘
‘The team with which we worked showed great listening and availability during our numerous discussions.‘
‘A close-knit responsive team with very good interactivity.‘
‘High level of responsiveness and relevance.‘
‘The people of Osborne Clarke show great availability, great listening skills, pedagogy and a lot of flexibility to consider multiple scenarios.‘
- Advised Shopinvest on the acquisition of the French company ‘Rue du Commerce’ from Carrefour.
- Advised Encavis AG on the acquisition of the 15% interests in its solar park portfolios in France that were still owned by the historical partner EDF.
- Advised SNCF in the context of the sale of 100% of the shares of a carpooling company to Klaxit.
Pwc Société d'Avocats
Gilles Semadeni; Jérôme Gertler
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Bortoli; Yannick Olivier; Isabelle de la Gorce; Paule Cathala; Christophe Guénard ;Guillaume Morineaux
‘Jérôme Gertler is honest, direct, pragmatic which makes it easy to go to the heart of a matter.’
‘The M&A team at PwC is very responsive and pragmatic. It allows them to work quickly and under pressure. Jérôme Gertler has got a lot of experience and knows how to fight when necessary. Additionally, the PwC resources enable the team to do very due diligences of very good quality in a very limited timeframe.‘
- Advised a shipbuilding group on the reorganisation of its capital with the entry of new shareholders, providing full legal M&A advice and legal due diligence.
- Advised Brachotte Family on the disposal of 100 % of the MAPAERO group to the benefit of AKZO NOBEL group, providing full legal M&A advice.
- Acted for Gaussin in relation to the acquisition of Mettaliance, providing full legal M&A advice.
‘Knowledgeable, available, professional and technically astute.‘
‘They key thing I like about Racine is the team’s ability to guide clients based in the UK – who may not be familiar with cultural and legal differences – through challenging transactions in France by adapting their advice to their audience.‘
‘Jean-Christophe Beaury is very impressive and has a strong command of cross-border transactions.‘
‘Alexia Ruleta works very effectively on behalf of her French clients in instructing us on English law matters and has an excellent attention to detail.‘
‘Excellent negotiation skills: beyond the technical skills of the lawyers, which is beyond doubt, they were able to accompany us in strategic negotiations with flying colours!‘
‘A real ability to work effectively in project mode. Great responsiveness and proximity to the whole team.’
‘The team is perfectly composed in terms of senior and junior partners/associates, in order to be able to deal with the most complex files in an extremely efficient manner.‘
‘Jean-Christophe Beaury has recognized and deserved experience in the most complex M&A cases.‘
Bee Family Office and Crédit Agricole Régions Investissement
Flight Centre Travel Group
- Advised Mediawan in connection with KKR’s acquisition of an equity interest in its capital and the creation of the Mediawan Alliance.
- Advising Ellisphere’s management on the tax and legal aspects in relation to a second LBO, after which 3 investment funds Andera Partners, Tikehau Capital and BPI France will take a majority stake alongside the management.
- Advised the Management Board and the Supervisory Board of the Confluent group on the sale of the private hospital of the Confluent to the Vivalto Santé group, which became its majority shareholder, while Icade Santé acquired the premises.
Reinhart Marville Torre
‘They are longstanding trusted advisors of the company and that sets them apart.‘
‘We recommend Pierre-Menno de Girard because of his availability, his attention to detail, his professional rigour and his concern for budgetary issues.’
‘We greatly appreciate Pierre-Menno de Girard’s intelligence, his rigour, his competence, his attention to detail, his benevolence and his commitment in the proposed solutions while leaving the client in control of decision.‘
EUROFINS SCIENTIFIC GROUP
GOODYEAR DUNLOP TIRES FRANCE
KEYS ASSET MANAGEMENT
VIVACY LABORATORIES GROUP
- Advised Eurofins Scientific Group on the acquisition of Galys Laboratories.
- Advised Auchan Energies on the sale of its activity of sale of fuel oil in France.
- Assisting Interxion with the French aspects of the acquisition of Interxion by Digital Realty.
Sekri Valentin Zerrouk
‘Having Pierre-Emmannuel Chevalier on board is essential for us. He does good work, has deep knowledge of the sector and the law and provides practical solutions with a client focus.‘
iM Global Partner
MMS JRI CIET
All in Foods
- Advised IN Groupe on its acquisition of Surys and Nexus.
- Advised the Zouari family on the acquisition from Aryzta of 43% of the capital of the Picard Surgelés Group.
- Advised Turenne on several acquisitions and disposals.
- Assisted the Austrian investment groups Warimpex Finanz-und Beteiligungs AG and UBM Devlopment AG listed in Vienna with the sale of 100% of the capital of Rosebud Holdings.
- Advised Attraqt Group plc, the provider of SaaS solutions powering exceptional online shopping experiences, on its conditional €16m acquisition of Early Birds SAS.
- Assisted Buzzman, an independent creative agency, on the acquisition of 51% of its shares by Havas, the world’s sixth largest communications group.
Vivien & Associés
‘Very professional, responsive, available, efficient, while remaining simple.‘
‘The responsiveness and availability shown by the firm is remarkable. Expertise and innovation meet expectations on all the projects we have entrusted to them.‘
‘The staff and partners are always of an excellent quality.‘
‘Agile, efficient and multidisciplinary firm.‘
‘Responsiveness, technicality and extreme availability.‘
‘Human-sized firm with reasonable fees, but offering a range of services worthy of large firms. The partners are very competent with a high level of demand on the quality of services.‘
‘Very good human contact. Excellent business vision and excellent knowledge of the sector and issues of the film industry.‘
‘Very responsive and very business-oriented team. Always looking for pragmatic solutions for its clients.‘
Groupe La Poste
Assistance Publique/Hôpitaux de Paris
- Advised Engie SA on the sale of its French LPG activities to Primagaz.
- Advised Les Cinémas Pathé Gaumont on the acquisition of CinéAlpes SAS.
- Advised InVivo Wine SAS on the acquisition by Cordier SAS and Cordier Excel SAS from Pernod Ricard SA and Pernod SAS of the assets of ‘Café de Paris’.