Mergers and acquisitions in France
Bredin Prat covers an extensive range of sectors and has an outstanding track record in private and public M&A as well as in distressed M&A and transactions with a private equity component. While the firm has strong French roots and a high-profile domestic caseload, it also impresses with its substantial cross-border work on inbound and outbound transactions. The team is a key part of the firm's full-service offering and regularly draws on in-house colleagues from the employment, tax, financing, IT, competition and public law teams as well as on its litigation experts to provide a seamless service across different practice areas. Large-cap transactions, including jumbo-cap matters, account for a considerable proportion of the team's workload, but the team is active across all market segments, including small-cap. With Olivier Assant, Sophie Cornette de Saint Cyr, Patrick Dziewolski, Clémence Fallet, Florence Haas, Benjamin Kanovitch, Matthieu Pouchepadass, Sébastien Prat and Kate Romain as the key contacts the group offers one of the deepest benches in the market.
‘The best M&A team in Paris.‘
‘Bredin Prat has an outstanding M&A team, supported by very strong practices in all fields required to deliver M&A transactions in all their components (corporate, tax, competition, employment, regulatory, etc.). Partners are very involved in the transactions. The firm also has an excellent best friends international network and is particularly well equipped to advise on cross-border transactions.‘
‘Excellent negotiator, Matthieu Pouchepadass is a very creative and business-oriented lawyer. He is really seen as a trusted advisor, dedicated to finding pragmatic solutions and getting the deal through.‘
Ramsay Générale de Santé
- Advised Iliad on the €2bn sale of part of its telecoms towers in France and Italy to Spanish company Cellnex.
- Acted for Natixis on the planned €2.7bn disposal to BPCE of the consumer financing, factoring, leasing, sureties and guarantees and securities services businesses.
- Advised Ramsay Générale de Santé as lead counsel on its public offer to acquire all of the shares in Capio AB, a healthcare group listed on Nasdaq Stockholm and present in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, France and Germany.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton impresses with a strong team of versatile corporate lawyers who combine stellar M&A credentials with proven strength in financing, capital markets and tax law, including experience in liability management and restructuring matters. As such, the group regularly advises both on the transactional and the financing aspects of large-cap cases. The very strong cross-border practice is another stand-out feature, both for transactions advised on by a purely Paris-based team and for transactions that involve the firm's offices abroad - it frequently collaborates with colleagues from the New York office. The group is especially well versed in jumbo- and large-cap transactions, but also has strength in the mid-cap segment of the French market. The firm's private equity transactional offering is increasingly visible. The names to note are Andrew Bernstein, Pierre-Yves Chabert, Anne-Sophie Coustel, Rodolphe Elineau, Barthélemy Faye, Valérie Lemaitre and Charles Masson.
- Advised Essilor on its $49bn combination agreement with Luxottica which created a major international visual health company.
- Acted for Alstom on its €15bn proposed combination with Siemens’ Mobility Business.
- Advised Ardea Partners, as financial advisers, on the sale of XL Group to AXA.
French M&A powerhouse Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier remains a key destination for jumbo- and large-cap transactions, but also has a strong track record in mid-market work for French and international clients. The group has longstanding experience in private and especially in public M&A transactions across a broad range of sectors, including the automotive, financial services, telecoms and entertainment sectors. Marcus Billam, Hugo Diener, Jean-Baptiste de Martigny, Benjamin Burman, Christophe Vinsonneau, Bertrand Cardi, Pierre Casanova and Laurent Gautier are names to note. Christopher Grey made counsel in 2019.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP stands out through its focus on the financial services, energy, infrastructure and real estate sectors. The team combines strong cross-border capabilities with strength in private and public M&A alike and is primarily active in mid-cap and upper mid-cap transactions. The recent workload also includes a number of small-cap highlight matters. As an integral part of the firm's wide-ranging offering, the team is able to offer in-house expertise across a broad spectrum, including financing, capital markets, litigation, antitrust and IP. Practice head Frédéric Moreau, Alexandre Ancel, Marc Castagnède, Frédéric Jungels, Romy Richter and Jean-Claude Rivalland are the main contacts.
‘Real long-term partner and not only an advisor.‘
‘Frédéric Jungels is an excellent lawyer who listens to his clients. He always stays positive, adapts well to the dynamic of the transaction and brings an extremely strong work ethic to the table. In addition to his technical legal knowledge, he takes great care to guide and accompany his clients well.‘
‘Jean-Claude Rivalland puts the interests of the client first, has an exceptional ability to propose solutions, to compromises, to negotiate and to deliver the transaction.‘
Crédit Mutuel Arkéa
- Advised Société Générale on the acquisition of the worldwide equity markets and commodities activities of Commerzbank, a matter involving the jurisdictions of France, the United Kingdom, Luxembourg, Hong Kong and the US.
- Acted for the management of Zentiva, the European generics drugs arm of Sanofi, on the exclusive negotiations between the French healthcare group Sanofi and the private equity firm Advent International, under which Advent acquired Zentiva for €1.919m.
- Advised Corestate Capital Holdings on its acquisition of real estate investment management firm Stam Europe.
Baker McKenzie excels in highly international transactions involving multiple jurisdictions. The Paris-based team regularly cooperates with the firm's offices abroad, especially with colleagues from the Chicago office, both in transactions led from Paris and in transactions led from abroad in which the Parisian team advises on the French aspects. M&A, joint ventures, reorganisations and restructurings as well as buy-outs account for the bulk of the workload, with matter values mostly in the upper mid-cap and large-cap segments of the market, with a solid mid-cap practice on top. Stéphane Davin and Matthieu Grollemund are the practice heads, with other key players including Alyssa Auberger, Marie-Françoise Bréchignac and Hugo Sanchez de la Espada.
‘Excellent team. Outstanding global coverage.‘
‘Stéphane Davin is one of the best M&A lawyers in France.‘
Archer Daniels Midland
- Advised LVMH on the $3.2bn acquisition of Belmond, involving multiple jurisdictions and teams from the Paris and Chicago offices.
- Acted for Servier on the $2.4bn acquisition of the global oncology business of Shire, involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Assisted Archer Daniels Midland with the €1.5bn acquisition of Neovia, creating one of the world’s largest animal nutrition businesses and involving the jurisdictions of France, the UK and the US.
BDGS Associés has notable strength in domestic and cross-border work. The firm covers a wide array of sectors, including telecoms, aerospace, financial services and insurance, and impresses with its experience in both private and public M&A. Since its foundation in 2013, the firm has consistently expanded its portfolio of expertise and is able to offer clients a one-stop shop for their corporate, litigation, tax, competition and regulatory needs. Antoine Bonnasse, Youssef Djehane, Jean-Emmanuel Skovron and Marc Loy head the practice. Other names to note are Thomas Meli, Lucile Gaillard and recently promoted partner François Baylion.
‘High levels of personal attention and involvement from partners. Very practical advice.‘
‘Youssef Djehane is very sharp, very creative, and is always personally involved. That gives you real confidence in his advice.‘
Crédit Agricole Assurances
Groupe La Poste
- Advised Crédit Agricole Assurances, as stakeholder of Indigo Group, on the sale by Ardian of its approximately 50% stake in leading car park operator Indigo Group to Mirova and Meag, including the implementation of a management package, the reinvestment of Indigo Group’s key managers alongside Crédit Agricole Assurances, Mirova and Meag, and the maintenance of Crédit Agricole Assurances’ co-control of Indigo Group alongside Mirova and Meag.
- Acted for Groupe La Poste and its subsidiary La Banque Postale on the acquisition of a 42% stake in CNP Assurances, creating a major French public financial hub.
Clifford Chance has a varied practice, with particular strengths in infrastructure M&A and cross-border transactions. The group is well versed in transactions in highly regulated sectors, including TMT, and is mainly visible in large-cap transactions, both in private and public M&A. It is frequently sought out to handle jumbo-cap matters and also acts on an impressive string of complex small-cap work. The real estate sector is another area of expertise. Fabrice Cohen, Gilles Lebreton, Marianne Pezant, Laurent Schoenstein, Thierry Schoen and Mathieu Rémy form the heart of the practice. Counsel Olivier Jouffroy is also noted. Benjamin de Blégiers joined Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP in April 2019.
‘The team is close to our business and to our teams. On top of the high quality of the services provided and the efficiency of the group, the team provides appropriate advice based on their real knowledge of the business and organisation of their clients.‘
‘Very professional practice. Ability to support fast-paced transactions with high-quality work.‘
‘It is a real pleasure to work with the dealmaker team of Fabrice Cohen. They always find solutions to make the deal happen while maintaining a high level of security for its client. Easy to work with.‘
‘Laurent Schoenstein: Extremely experienced and knowledgeable. Commercially minded. Easy to work with. Excellent negotiator.‘
‘Olivier Jouffroy is very talented and hands-on.‘
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
- Advised L’Oréal on its €1.47bn acquisition of the worldwide Mugler and Loris Azzaro perfume businesses from the Clarins Group.
- Acted for Tsinghua Unigroup on its €2.3bn acquisition of group Linxens from CVC Capital Partners and Astorg Partners, involving a full carve-out of the US part of Linxens and obtaining foreign investment control clearances in France and Germany.
- Advised Cube Infrastructures Management on the sale of the Idex group, which operates in energy services and district heating, to Antin Infrastructure Partners, as well as on the disposal of Taranis, also an energy player.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. remains one of the most active teams in the market thanks to its strength in domestic and cross-border work and the depth of its bench. The group is active across all market segments, with a particularly busy caseload in the upper mid-cap and large-cap range. The French firm has a wide sectorial range and an international footprint, with offices in the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Asia as well as in Central and Eastern Europe. Practice head Olivier Diaz, Charles de Reals, Didier Martin, Guillaume Rougier-Brierre, Nadège Nguyen, Jean-Gabriel Flandrois, Thomas Urlacher, Alexis Pailleret, Axelle Toulemonde, Christophe Eck and Antoine Lelong are key contacts. Jean-Francois Louit and Caroline Lan joined from Mayer Brown in September 2019.
‘The team at Gide is highly skilled, provides very high-quality work and is very responsive and flexible.‘
‘Outstanding breadth of compentences and resources – ability to involve specialists of any domain. Outstanding availability.‘
‘A great all-round practice with very competent and expert partners in all fields.‘
‘The team is very dedicated and solution-oriented. Strong negotiation skills.‘
‘The Gide team under the lead of Olivier Diaz combines high-level technical skills with business acumen, indispensable pragmatism and constant availability.‘
‘Olivier Diaz and Charles de Reals are two great experts.‘
‘Nadège Nguyen is a highly competent lawyer, with a broad understanding of business issues and a straight-forward approach.‘
‘Thomas Urlacher is a highly skilled lawyer, able to provide reliable deal documentation very quickly and fully committed to his clients.‘
‘Axelle Toulemonde was especially reactive and committed when negotiations were long and complex.‘
‘Alexis Pailleret: high attention to details while remaining solution-driven, unique negotiation skills and ability to manage deadlock situations, strong knowledge in the infrastructure asset class (but not only), available 24/7, high English proficiency, unanimously appreciated personality.‘
- Advised Belgian holding Groupe Bruxelles Lambert (GBL) on its exclusive negotiations for the €2.4bn acquisition of Webhelp group, a world leader in customer experience and business process outsourcing.
- Acted for Swiss Life Asset Managers on the tax and legal structuring, acquisition and financing of a portfolio of 28 office assets in prime locations in Paris, representing a total surface area of 102,000 square metres.
- Assisted Grupo Planeta, the leading Spanish media group and Spanish language publisher, with the €900m sale of Editis (Antinea 6) to Vivendi.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is especially experienced in public M&A transactions, but is also kept active handling private M&A. It is frequently involved in cross-border transactions, where it is able to leverage its international footprint, with a particular focus on Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe, but domestic transactions continue to account for a significant portion of the work volume. Thanks to the full-service positioning of the Paris office, the team regularly cooperates with teams from other practice areas, including financing, competition, real estate, employment and projects. Mid-cap and large-cap matters form the bulk of the workload. The names to note are practice head Hubert Segain, Paris managing partner Frédéric Bouvet and Edouard Thomas. Of counsel Cyril Boulignat is also recommended.
‘Small team, but very efficient with a wide array of capabilities in M&A and more generally corporate matters.‘
‘Excellent practice which stands out for its pragmatic approach, legal expertise and comprehensive view of business concerns. Their wide network of offices is a great asset in international deals.‘
‘Edouard Thomas: perfect knowledge of M&A, great effort and availability, client-oriented.‘
‘Edouard Thomas is always present when needed, with a good mix with his associates, which of course is appreciated in terms of both efficiency and cost effectiveness. The relationship is smooth and easy, with transaction counterparts as well, and the work is really tailor-made and overall excellent.‘
‘Frédéric Bouvet is an extraordinary lawyer, both in terms of his technical and analytical skills and in terms of his personal skills that have made all the difference in the management and signing of deals. He successfully coordinates the different topics between the members of his team, is exceptionally responsive and consistently hands-on.‘
‘Cyril Boulignat: perfect knowledge of M&A, great effort and availability, client-oriented.‘
- Advised Altran Technologies on the proposed acquisition of the client by Capgemini for €5bn, initiated by a friendly takeover bid.
- Acted for April on the acquisition of the majority of its share capital by CVC Capital Partners for a total of €900m.
- Advised Spanish telecoms infrastructure player Cellnex on the acquisition of 10,700 sites from Iliad in France and from Salt in Switzerland as well as on the roll-out of programmes for up to 4,000 new sites.
Latham & Watkins is among the lead firms for deal value in the French M&A market. Although regularly active in jumbo- and large-cap matters, the group is visible across all market segments and recently saw an uptick in transactional work for listed companies. Clients regularly trust the team with matters that also require expertise in financing, tax, antitrust and employment law, allowing the group to draw on its in-house colleagues to provide a seamless service. Pierre-Louis Cléro directs the practice which also includes Olivier du Mottay, Thomas Forschbach, Gaëtan Gianasso, who splits his time between Paris and London, Alexander Benedetti, Denis Criton and Alexander Crosthwaite. Semih Bayar Eren made counsel in January 2019.
‘For complex deals, this team is extremely competent and the service received is first class. Extremely reactive, works around the clock where necessary. Provides high-quality, technical advice.‘
‘A young team that has got its pulse on the market and listens to its clients.‘
‘Olivier du Mottay is probably one of the best M&A lawyers in France. He is able to provide very sharp, strategic and pragmatic solutions on very complex issues. His level of personal engagement is high.‘
- Advised Atos on the spin-off of 23.4% of the share capital of Worldline for a total of €2.34bn.
- Acted for Worldline on its €2.303bn acquisition of SIX Payment Service, aimed at creating the largest payment provider in Europe.
- Advised Auchan Holding on the sale of a 50.1% share in Oney Bank SA to BPCE.
Linklaters impresses with its wide sectorial scope, demonstrating particular strength in the infrastructure and energy, financial services, insurance, healthcare and retail sectors as well as in transactions for industry clients. The group is well equipped for complex matters requiring wide practice area coverage as it frequently cooperates with teams from the financing, competition, real estate, employment and litigation departments. The combination of the high number of transactions and their high deal values, primarily belonging to the jumbo-cap to mid-cap market segments, places the group squarely among the most prolific practices in the market. Bruno Derieux is the head of the practice. Other key contacts are Fabrice de la Morandière, Pierre Tourres and Marc Petitier. Vincent Ponsonnaille and Laurent Victor-Michel joined Kirkland & Ellis LLP in January 2019.
‘The corporate team is very sharp and provides innovative solutions. They are very dedicated and responsive.‘
‘Client-oriented, highly motivated and competent team with enough depth to size what is strictly appropriate for a specific deal.‘
‘Very good and global team. Excellent understanding of their client’s priorities and delivery of the legal services.‘
‘Pierre Tourres is very sharp and pragmatic. He is very reliable, a real business partner, always providing the most appropriate solution for the company.‘
‘Bruno Derieux stands out for being committed, pragmatic and very knowledgeable.‘
CVC Capital Partners
- Advised Ardian Infrastructure on the sale of a portfolio of energy and infrastructure assets worth in excess of €1bn, involving the jurisdictions of France and the Netherlands.
- Acted for CGG on the corporate aspects of its major restructuring in combined judicial processes in France and in the US, a matter that saw the corporate team collaborate with its restructuring and insolvency, capital markets and banking colleagues.
- Advised CVC Capital Partners on the €1.3bn sale of 49.89% of the share capital of the Delachaux Group to the Caisse de dêpot et placement du Québec. The stake was held by Financière Danube, a company managed by funds advised by the client’s affiliate companies.
Shearman & Sterling LLP is active in domestic and cross-border transactions, with complex international transactions requiring cooperation with the firm's offices abroad standing out as a particular strength. The team's expertise spans public and private M&A and joint ventures. Acting for sellers, buyers and the management from a variety of sectors, including the banking, healthcare and pharmaceutical, TMT and energy sectors, the team has a versatile offering. Practice head Guillaume Isautier, Nicolas Bombrun and of counsel Cyrille Niedzielski are key figures. Former counsel Marie Pouget joined AyacheSalama in September 2019.
‘Good level of expertise with available and helpful partners. Very helpful updates which are tailored and focused on what we need.‘
‘A very professional, efficient and responsive team. Guillaume Isautier combines excellent legal skills with great efficiency and a commercial approach.‘
‘Nicolas Bombrun offers commercial and client-focused advice on ad hoc projects.‘
CCI Lyon Métropole
Robert Louis Dreyfus Family
- Advised Ardagh on a transaction agreement with Element Holdings II L.P. and Trivium Packaging B.V., a newly formed private company, pursuant to which it agreed to combine its Food & Specialty Metal Packaging business with the business of Element in accordance with the terms and conditions therein.
- Acted for Société Générale on the sale of its Polish retail banking subsidiary Euro Bank to Bank Millennium, a financial institution listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange and which belongs to the Banco Comercial Português group, the largest private bank in Portugal.
- Advised Siparex on its acquisition of a significant minority stake in France-based NG Travel, a tour operator and holiday accommodation provider, through an MBO operation to refocus the group’s capital around its co-founder, Olivier Kervella, and the management team.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP stands out through its outstanding cross-border practice which sees the team regularly join forces with the firm's US offices. The group impresses with its strong track record of advising on contested and hostile takeovers, its expertise in shareholder activism defence work and focus on high-value, tailor-made transactions. The main contacts are practice head Armand Grumberg, Pascal Bine and Arash Attar-Rezvani. European counsel Guillaume Roche joined Lacourte Raquin Tatar in July 2019 while European counsel Camille Chiari, a former senior associate at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, joined the firm in January 2020.
‘The team of Skadden is truly a cross-border structure that has in-depth knowledge of all national specificities. They are great strategic thinkers as well as technical professionals.‘
‘Very good team; strong international reach; outstanding ability to deliver.‘
‘The individuals are very responsive and quick in their reaction time. They have good business understanding and are truly service suppliers who do not try to overrule the customer.‘
‘Pascal Bine: ability to find solutions; focus on important points; interpersonal skills.‘
- Advised Renault SA on its discussions with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, regarding a potential €32.6bn 50-50 merger transaction.
- Acted for Scor SE on its successful defence against a €8.3bn unsolicited takeover proposal from Covéa.
- Advising Dassault Systèmes SE on its $5.8bn all-cash proposed acquisition of Medidata Solutions, Inc., a Nasdaq-listed US company.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP specialises in complex domestic cross-border transactions and has a varied practice, including public and private M&A, corporate reorganisations, friendly and hostile public takeovers and anti-takeover defences. Transactions in the upper mid-cap and large-cap segment of the market are the group's mainstay. The recent workload has seen an uptick in work on the corporate aspects of major restructurings. Claude Serra directs the practice. Other names to note are Yannick Piette, Arthur de Baudry d’Asson, Frédéric Salat-Baroux and Agathe Soilleux. Benjamin de Blégiers joined from Clifford Chance in April 2019.
‘The second-to-none quality of the teams is impressive as it applies across jurisdictions, namely in Paris and New York. They work together in a seamless way. Their actual experience on high-profile transactions is highly valuable.‘
‘Very technical, reactive, creative, flexible.‘
‘As you would expect, a highly professional and strong team of excellent practitioners.‘
‘Claude Serra is rightly trusted by the top tier of French corporates and inward corporate clients. He is experienced and uber-connected. He knows what can and can’t be done not only by law, but local practice. He’s the best kind of lawyer – he sees the law in the context of overall objectives, and comes with solutions, not problems. Very pragmatic and hands-on.‘
‘Yannick Piette is outstanding in negotiations and very connected.‘
‘Yannick Piette has a wealth of experience in many cases, and yet remains available for his clients.‘
- Advised Total on its €8.8bn acquisition of certain African assets from Anadarko.
- Acted for AltaGroupe on its acquisition of a majority stake in Daniel Féau group.
- Advised Altarea Cogedim on its acquisition of 50% of the share capital of Woodeum Résidentiel.
White & Case LLP fields a strong domestic and cross-border practice and focuses primarily on the financial services, automotive, energy and technology sectors. The group is adept at advising on public and private M&A transactions, mainly in the upper mid-cap segment, but with frequent work undertaken on large-cap deals. Practice head Hugues Mathez directs the practice which was bolstered by the 2018 arrivals of Saam Golshani, Alexis Hojabr, Guillaume Vitrich and counsel Julien Bensaid from Orrick Rambaud Martel. Other key contacts are Guillaume Vallat , Franck de Vita , Nathalie Nègre-Eveillard and François Leloup. Camille Note, formerly a counsel with the firm, left for InfraVia Partners in October 2018.
- Advised Orange on its partnership with French insurance group Groupama in the French home telesurveillance sector and the establishment, for that purpose, of a joint company named Protectline.
- Acted for Faurecia on the takeover of 100% of Parrot Automotive, an acquisition implemented in two steps throughout 2017 and 2018 , a complex transactional and regulatory matter involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised confectionary and chocolate manufacturer CPK on its acquisition of 100% of Lutti Holdings SAS, including cooperating with the firm’s in-house employment teams to advise on the employment law aspects of the transaction.
August Debouzy climbs the ranking this year having acted in a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, frequently as sole lead counsel. Focused predominantly on mid-cap transactions, its work covers diverse sectors including aeronautics and defense, telecoms, energy, retail, healthcare, IT services and consumer credit. Julien Aucomte, Julien Wagmann, Jérôme Brosset and Valéry Denoix de Saint Marc are particularly visible in the M&A arena. A key strength is the firm's ability to involve its employment, tax, competition, public law and regulatory teams to work with the corporate group in major transactions.
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
InfraVia Capital Partners
Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives (CEA)
I Squared Capital
- Advised US group Johnson Controls International, in cooperation with Covington & Burling, on the sale of its worldwide automotive battery business to the Canadian investment fund Brookfield.
- Assisted Eolien en Mer Participations, an entity of CDC, with several of its minority stakes in project companies whose purposes are to develop, construct and operate offshore wind farms.
- Assisted Dassault Aviation with the acquisition of the maintenance, repair and overhaul European operations of the TAG Aviation group.
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP handles large and high-profile private and public M&A transactions. Key partners are M&A specialist Jaques Naquet-Radiguet and Christophe Perchet, who handles both transactional matters and litigation. They lead a team that works closely with the firm's litigation and restructuring groups to provide a holistic service to major corporate clients such as Carrefour, Starwood Capital and Suez. The group handles some large domestic transactions but focuses mainly on cross-border matters, often working closely with colleagues in the firm's US and UK offices.
Advanced Accelerator Applications
A P Moller Maersk
- Advised Tencent Holdings Limited on the proposed €6bn acquisition of Universal Music Group from Vivendi.
- Acted for the board of directors of Renault on the proposed €33bn merger between Renault and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
- Advised Helios Investment Partners on the $400m merger of its portfolio company Telkom Kenya with Airtel Networks Kenya, which combines the respective mobile, enterprise and carrier services businesses in a joint venture company.
French firm De Pardieu Brocas Maffei advises major French and multinational companies on M&A deals, joint ventures, restructurings and distressed corporate transactions. Key practitioners include Thierry Brocas, Guillaume Touttée, Patrick Jaïs and Jean-François Pourdieu; they work closely with the firm's finance, real estate, competition, tax, employment, litigation and restructuring specialists on large transactions. A major player in domestic deals in sectors including financial services, real estate, energy and utilities, the firm also handles cross-border matters. Magali Masson joined from Franklin in January 2020.
‘The practice provides solution-oriented legal services at excellent quality, acts very fast and is always reachable to discuss anything. Its deep commercial understanding of the transaction is a bonus.‘
‘Eric Muller has incredible commitment to delivering and shows true interest in the needs of the client. Moreover, he always finds smart solutions and is thinking many steps ahead when creating strategy. He provides excellent quality of legal services consistently, even in critical situations under pressure. I would prefer him over any other lawyer in France I worked with on M&A deal.‘
‘The firm has a very dedicated and client-oriented mindset and is able to define all different scenarios with a risk adjusted approach. It is very knowledgeable of the environment of investment banks, competitors and authorities.‘
‘Nicolas Favre and real estate partner Paul Talbourdet are the key people we deal with. Both have great capabilities to understand and support our goals in a transaction. They have great capacity to have a general analysis and view of complex transactions involving many different contracts.‘
‘The firm has a very good approach to the problems we encounter. It has great professionalism and very good relations with clients.‘
‘It has a strong team with efficient partner oversight but, most importantly, exceptional senior associates capable of running the brunt of the file in near total autonomy. The overall effect is true value for money. Partner availability is, however, not impacted and the client experience is exceptional.‘
‘Cédric Chanas is hard charging and engaged, determined to get the deal done while remaining good humoured and extremely pleasant to work with. His level of experience is extremely high. He knows what to say, what to do and when to do it and can anticipate likely issues well in advance. He is perfectly capable and adept at countering opposing counsel and achieving the client’s goals.‘
‘DPB is organised by department, each lawyer is specialised in a field. All these departments work together, which allows their clients to have the best possible view of a problem and to understand it as a whole. It has a very large network and lots of experience.‘
‘It is a very professional team with a very business-minded view of the topics that is particularly appreciated. Guillaume Touttée has particular expertise.‘
‘The M&A team led by Guillaume Touttée has a broad expertise in complex transactions beyond pure M&A matters and spanning a wide array of areas such as real estate, insurance, market law, commercial law, anti-trust, bankruptcy, labour and more, allowing a 360° view of any files entrusted to them. They are reactive, agile, pragmatic and committed to their clients’ success.‘
‘Guillaume Touttée is the lawyer you want on your side in a M&A operation. He is an utterly skilled strategist, extremely experienced with a broad knowledge of transactional matters and focused on his clients’ specific needs. He is also a pleasure to work with and a true asset in tough negotiations.‘
‘Most likely the best M&A legal team in France.‘
‘Nicolas Favre is the layer that I would always have with me. He is the best ally when you have a hard deal to close.‘
ORANO (ex. AREVA)
NATIXIS GLOBAL ASSET MANAGEMENT
LA BANQUE POSTALE
CREDIT AGRICOLE ASSURANCES
IPM GROUP AND SAMSUNG ASSET MANAGEMENTCO., LTD
- Advising InVivo Retail (Gamm vert / Delbard) on the acquisition of Jardiland from L-Gam, the long-term investment firm established in partnership with the Princely Family of Liechtenstein.
- Acting for Carrefour and co-investors partners (including Crédit Agricole Assurances and Primonial Capimmo) on the signing of agreements to sell the entire share capital of Cargo Property Assets to Argan.
- Assisting Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits (MBWS), producer and seller of wine and spirits, with the signing of a binding agreement with its main shareholder, Compagnie Européenne de Prises de Participations (COFEPP), in order to provide the necessary financial means and support for the execution of MBWS’ new strategy.
DLA Piper's 'extremely professional and diligent team' is increasingly handling a growing workload of large and mid-cap transactions. The firm advises industrial groups, investment funds, individual shareholders and management teams on domestic and cross-border transactions, though most of its deals have an element of either inbound or outbound investment. The practice, which is led by Jeremy Scemama and Xavier Norlain, is particularly strong in the technology, retail, manufacturing, energy, transport and infrastructure, and hospitality and leisure sectors. Matthieu Lampel was recently promoted to partner.
‘An extremely professional and diligent team with real skill combined with great pragmatism in business matters. They are great workers who are always available.‘
‘Jeremy Scemama, Sarmad Haidar, Julien Burger and Natalia Li are the key lawyers.‘
‘The firm shows great professionalism, solid experience in M&A matters, and good availability for this kind of work.‘
‘The firm’s Paris office provides outstanding M&A support to our group. Partner Simon Charbit is outstanding – fully engaged, pragmatic and technically excellent.‘
ALD, subsidiary of Société
AON Holdings France
Prima Solutions Holding
Groupe Homair Vacances
- Advised Worldline on exercising its call option to acquire a 36.4% minority stake in and take full ownership of equensWorldline.
- Acting for BASF on the acquisition of Solvay’s polyamide business.
- Advising the founders of Laboratoire Garancia on Unilever’s binding offer to acquire Laboratoire Garancia, a company specialising in the creation and distribution of dermo-cosmetic products.
Active in the French market for more than 50 years, Gibson Dunn is one of the longest-established US firms in Paris and has focused on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions since the office opened. Much of its work has an international dimension and it frequently acts for major US corporations, but it also has an impressive roster of French companies among its clients for mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings and distressed M&A deals. Allianz France, Groupe Canal+ and Merck & Co are among them. Bernard Grinspan and Ariel Harroch lead the practice in which Bertrand Delaunay, Patrick Ledoux and Judith Raoul-Bardy also play key roles.
‘The firm provides first-class client orientation and a strong business focus. Bertrand Delaunay is recommended.‘
Merck & Co, Inc.
Durag Holding AG
- Advising Eaton Corporation on its commitment to acquire the Souriau-Sunbank Connection Technologies business from TransDigm Group Incorporated for $920m.
- Acted for Groupe CANAL+ on the acquisition from Astorg Partners of M7 Group, a leading pay-TV operator in the heart of Europe.
- Advised Group Vivarte, a leading French retailer of fashion, shoe and leather goods, on the sale of footwear chain, Besson Chaussures SAS, to Weinberg Capital Partners III and Gifi Groupe.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP has a strong international practice that acts for French and overseas companies on transactions in sectors as diverse as life sciences, retail, insurance, infrastructure and financial services. The firm has a strong flow of mid-market deals, as well as a growing role in large-cap transactions. Head of corporate, M&A and equity capital market Jean-Marc Franceschi and corporate and private equity partners Xavier Doumen and Stéphane Huten are the main contacts. The firm has a 'great team - very open, practical and knowledgeable- that understands business issues as well as complex relationships'.
‘Associates are very involved in transactions and find effective solutions. They show great awareness of costs with lean and approachable teams rather than the whole Mexican army on each file.‘
‘The firm always has good relationships with its opposing colleagues and only the serious business matters are pass upwards to the partners.‘
‘Xavier Doumen et Stéphane Huten add a lot of value in negiotiations and, notably, financial matters, which both of them master perfectly.‘
‘A very proactive team, dedicated to the client’s needs with a practical and pragmatic approach.‘
‘I appreciate most of all working with Xavier Doumen who is a highly qualified M&A partner, always available to provide a win/win solution to complicated and strategic transactions.‘
‘A great team – very open, practical and knowledgeable – that understands business issues as well as complex relationships.‘
‘Competent, reactive, easy to deal with and reliable.‘
- Advised US biotechnology company Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc on its acquisition of TxCell, a French biotech specialising in the development of cellular immunotherapies.
- Acted for Videdressing, a French collaborative platform specialising in second-hand fashion and luxury, on its acquisition by leboncoin, the leading retail site for individuals in France.
- Advised TAV Airports (of which the ADP Group holds 46.12%) on the acquisition of 49% of ICF Antalya, the joint venture managing the Antalya International Airport.
Jones Day is a prominent player in cross-border public and private M&A, with a string of mid-cap and large-cap deals in key sectors such as chemicals, life sciences, pharmaceutical, real estate and energy. The practice, which is led by Sophie Hagège, who has more than 25 years' experience in multi-jurisdictional transactions, counts Sanofi and Société Générale among its key clients. Head of private equity Renaud Bonnet , 'world-class transactional lawyer' Alexandre de Verdun and key partner Florent Bouyer also stand out.
‘We worked with Jones Day in a major M&A transaction in the banking sector. They were the lead counsel and we acted as local counsel. Jones Day team was always punctual, excellent in coordination and quite able to understand the local issues and reflect them into the transaction documents.‘
‘I found the team to have unparalleled international expertise in financial services industry and amazing capability in managing multiple deals.‘
‘Alexandre de Verdun was the partner in charge of the transaction and rarely we have seen an attorney with his capabilities involved in the transactions in our jurisdiction. He was not only very prepared and proactive but also quite cooperative with all the parties involved. The transaction had several issues which would have been deal breakers without Alexandre’s direct involvement.‘
‘Over the past two years, we have worked with Alexandre de Verdun and his team on several sell-side mandates in CEE. 2019 was a “tour de force” for Alexandre and Jones Day in the region, as the team managed to smoothly close four consecutive bank sales in four different countries.‘
‘I have primarily worked with Alexandre de Verdun and Delphine Sauvebois-Brunel. Alexandre is world-class transactional lawyer with immense international experience in bank M&A. He is always on top of everything and thinks in terms of solutions. He is also an amazing negotiator and have a unique personality and charisma. Delphine is hardworking and very competent. As we worked together I noticed that she is always well prepared and informed. A pleasure to work with.‘
‘The firm has impressive expertise and they are organised exceptionally well. Working with them was a pleasure.‘
‘Alexandre de Verdun is an amazing transactional lawyer. He is a strategic thinker and great negotiator. His advice is straightforward and comprehensive.‘
‘Delphine Sauvebois-Brunel is experienced, pragmatic and commercial. I found her to have creative legal reasoning. She also has a friendly personality.‘
‘I enjoyed working with the entire team.‘
‘The practice had an extremely well structured and organised approach to a multi-jurisdictional project which was highly demanding in scope and timeline.‘
‘Alexandre de Verdun is calm, knowledgeable and on top of every key element of the transaction. Associate Olga Goncharska was exceptional in terms of both legal and project management capabilities.‘
Agence Des Participations De L’Etat
Selling shareholders of Synthesio
Inside Secure S.A.
- Advising Agence Des Participations de l’Etat on its airport privatisation plan.
- Acted for Sanofi on a series of sales of pharmaceutical units and products.
- Assisting Société Générale with the multi-jurisdictional disposal of several subsidiaries specialised in retail banking and insurance in the Balkan region.
Lacourte Raquin Tatar moves up the ranking this year having seen the value of its domestic and cross-border transactions continue to grow. Clients praise the firm's 'fantastic practical approach with new and pragmatic ideas'. The firm focuses predominantly on the transport, real estate, banking and finance, beverage and telecoms sectors, where it acts for large French and international companies, private equity houses and financial institutions. Serge Tatar leads the practice, in which the key partners include Renaud Rossa and Nicolas Jüllich. Rossa frequently handles deals in France, as well as across Europe and Africa. Nicolas Jüllich has extensive experience in the real estate sector. Guillaume Roche joined from Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.
‘A fantastic practical approach with new and pragmatic ideas. It has excellent knowledge of its clients, their needs and their problems.‘
‘Real estate partner Jean-Jaques Raquin and corporate partner Renaud Rossa respond quickly and are very pragmatic. They have a great capacity to put themselves in their clients’ shoes. The quality of communication is also good.‘
‘In addition to his expertise and his managerial qualities, Jean-Jaques Raquin has great expertise in negotiating with diverse counterparties on a wide range of topics.‘
‘We have worked with Serge Tatar and his team for more than 20 years on M&A matters. He has always given us complete satisfaction. Whether it is his responsiveness, his understanding of clients’ needs, his availability, his pragmatism or his expertise, he is simply perfect.‘
‘Serge Tatar has skill both in financial and legal matters, which is very valuable. At the same time, he is also a good communicator.‘
‘This is a firm where the lawyers are accessible and responsive. The lawyers operate at a high level, they are rigorous and they have a holistic view of each deal. They have the ability to put in place a good team of lawyers on the deals with best friends where applicable.‘
‘Renaud Rossa and his time are very involved in each matter. The know how to understand and position themselves appropriately to handle big problems without leaving out any details. The transparency of the firm is much appreciated.‘
‘Renaud Rossa and his team always respect deadlines. They keep us regularly informed about the progress of the deal and they share their reasoning with us. Renaud Rossa is a lawyer with a strong, thorough and lively mind for finding solutions at every stage through the life of a deal.‘
‘We appreciate the firm’s availability, creativity and high quality.‘
‘Renaud Rossa is always available and proposes interesting things.‘
MCS & Associés
- Acting for Tikehau IM on the partnership between Bouygues Immobilier and Tikehau Real Estate Opportunity 2018 Fund (TREO 2018) for the development of the Charenton Bercy site (360,000m²) as part of the Grand Paris project.
- Advising Ceetrus (formerly Immochan, the real estate company of the Auchan group) on its partnership with SNCF Mobilités to carry out a major transformation of Gare du Nord in the context of the upcoming 2024 Olympics in Paris.
- Assisting BPI France with its acquisition of Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations’ ownership interest in CDC International Capital (a specific co-invest fund with other major sovereign funds, with an investment capacity of circa. €1bn) and the contribution of the Ambition Numérique Fund by the French State.
Mayer Brown's 'team shows great commitment and availability', according to one client. The firm advises on public and private M&A transactions, notably in the chemical and manufacturing sectors, and is a presence in both domestic and cross-border deals. It acts for numerous CAC40 and SBF120 companies, as well as a host of other large French corporates. Unilever, AccorHotels and Altice are among its key clients. Guillaume Kuperfils, Emily Pennec and Arnaud Pérès lead the practice. Jean-Francois Louit and Caroline Lan are now with Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I..
‘The team shows great commitment and availability.‘
Motion Equity Partners No
LBO France No
Cooper Vemedia No
BASF Venture Capital
- Advised Webhelp, the European leader for business process outsourcing and customer experience, on the French and German aspects of its acquisition of Sellbytel from Omnicom Group.
- Acted for ICI, the financial holding of Clestra management, on the corporate and structuring aspects of its 33% capital acquisition of Clestra Hauserman along with KC Green Holdings from Impala.
- Advising Synutra on the sale of the drying unit, a branch of its industrial activities (production and drying of milk constituents), in a milk factory based in Carhaix, to Sodiaal, including handling the corporate and structuring aspects of the transaction.
Orrick Rambaud Martel climbs this year's ranking having been active in a diverse range of transactions in sectors including technology, telecoms, energy, infrastructure, aerospace, automotive, retail and leisure. The firm has strong cross-border capabilities in both public and private M&A, with prominent roles in both mid-cap and large-cap deals. It frequently acts for large French and multinational companies, including investment managers, and among its key clients are AXA IM and EuroDisney. Patrick Tardivy leads a 'responsive and dedicated team', where Jean-Pierre Martel, George Rigo and 'top-notch lawyer' Alexis Marraud des Grottes particularly stand out. Saam Golshani, Alexis Hojabr and Guillaume Vitrich joined White & Case LLP in December 2018. Guillaume Kessler joined Dentons in early 2020.
‘The firm has a responsive and dedicated team.‘
‘An effective, dedicated and very responsive team.‘
‘Alexis Marraud des Grottes has delivered on our transaction a first-class legal advice in terms of deal tactics and expert skills in public tender offers. He is one of the best lawyers in Paris of his age.‘
‘Alexis Marraud des Grottes has consistenly delivered over the years an impressive track record of deals that allows him today to be a top-notch lawyer. He stands out clearly in the way he anticipates challenges and proposes adequate and opportunistic solutions to clients.‘
‘We appreciate the availability, flexibility and dedication of the team.‘
‘The personal involvement of the top partners in the deal and the in-depth knowledge and attention to all specifics of the case gives us the necessary confidence that everything is under control.‘
‘Alexis Marraud des Grottes and his team did great work for us. They were always available to get things done. They were pragmatic in a way that eased tremendously the discussions with the other lawyers. They have a very good and respectful relation with the French market authorities.‘
‘Alexis Marraud des Grottes is available night and day – even on weekends – for his clients.‘
EPF & FFP
SIB (Société d’Investissement Bastide)
- Advised the supervisory board of Zodiac Aerospace on the €8.7bn acquisition by French aerospace company Safran.
- Acted for Axa Investment Managers – Real Assets and Crédit Agricole Assurances, as part of a consortium with European gas infrastructure company Fluxys, on acquiring a majority stake in the Dunkerque LNG terminal holding company from EDF and Total for €2.4bn.
- Advised Naturex on its acquisition by Givaudan, the global leader in the creation of flavours and fragrances.
Paul Hastings LLP
Paul Hastings LLP has a 'reliable, creative and pragmatic practice'. The firm has a strong track record in the French mid-market and upper mid-market, though it also handles a growing number of big-ticket corporate and M&A matters. The team has substantial expertise in the private equity industry, and it is also notable for its presence in highly regulated sectors such as life sciences, telecoms and defence. Real estate, financial services and technology are also key areas of activity. Guillaume Kellner leads the team, which includes new arrival Charles Cardon, who joined from Dechert LLP. Etienne Mathey, Edith Boucaya and Olivier Deren are among the other key partners.
‘Paul Hastings is a reliable, creative and pragmatic practice and is systematically my first choice on every new transaction. Working with Paul Hastings brings the assurance that the deal is in great hands and that any potential problems that can arise along the process will be solved in a timely and efficient manner.‘
‘Etienne Mathey is my “go-to” person on any legal matter, regardless of the department. He is a versatile and honest lawyer who will do everything to resolve an issue or follow the best practical route.‘
‘Paul Hastings ran a great process with great preparation of the documentation, and it has demonstrated great capabilities in providing in time the elements for a very successful transaction.‘
‘The team was led by Etienne Mathey who has shown himself to be a top lawyer with great technical and human skills. Associate Antoine Ricol has also proven to be also excellent.‘
Société de la Tour Eiffel
Sofidy and its shareholders
Aries Group Shareholders
21 Centrale Partners
GFC (founder and main shareholder)
- Acted for Salvepar, the leading France-based private equity firm specialising in growth capital financing, middle market, emerging growth, and buyouts in small and medium-sized enterprises, on the sale of France-based resin derivatives company, Dérivés Résiniques et Terpéniques.
- Acted for Astorg Partners, the leading France-based independent private equity firm with €2bn-plus in funds under management, on the disposal of its controlling shareholding interest in Metrologic Group to Sandvik.
- Assisted NJJ, the private investment firm of telecoms investor and operator Xavier Niel, and Iliad, the leading France-based provider of telecoms services, on their acquisition of Ireland-based telecoms company, EIR.
Simmons & Simmons' team is 'very diligent and able to handle complicated situations'. Best known for its work in four key sectors - asset management and investment funds, financial institutions, life sciences and healthcare, and TMT - the firm is also increasingly strong in the private equity space with the arrival of Jérôme Patenotte and his team from Gowling WLG. Christian Taylor now leads a four-partner practice, in which Simonetta Giordano focuses on deals in the healthcare, life sciences, energy and consumer goods sectors. Moody's and BlackRock are among the firm's key clients.
‘The Simmons & Simmons M&A team is very diligent and able to handle complicated situations. They offer full service and assistance for their clients, allowing them to focus on the business points.‘
‘Senior associate Taous Mabed is very “hands on” and organised, ensuring a smooth transaction process.‘
Savills Investment Management
Valor Real Estate Partners LLP
Luigi Lavazza S.p.A.
Ultimate Software Group
- Advising Alpha Healthgroup, a leading European platform for auto medication and self care, on the acquisition of Swiss company Diepharmex Laboratories and the Audispray range.
- Acted for Moody’s, a member of the big three financial rating agencies, on its acquisition of a majority stake in Vigeo, an environmental, social and governance rating agency.
- Advised Tapì on the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Les Bouchages Delage through the fund Wisequity IV, managed by Wise Equity SGR.
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP has a strong presence in cross-border M&A transactions, predominantly in the mid-cap and upper mid-cap range, and the Paris office frequently works with colleagues in London, New York and Frankfurt to provide tailored advice on multi-jurisdictional matters. Focusing on complex and challenging matters rather than high volume, it acts for major French and international companies and financial institutions, among which are Praxair, Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank. Practice head Olivier de Vilmorin and Gauthier Blanluet, who has expertise in both corporate and tax matters, are the key practitioners.
- Advised Praxair on its $80bn merger with Linde AG to create the world’s largest industrial gas company, joining forces with colleagues from the firm’s offices in Frankfurt and New York.
- Acted for Goldman Sachs Paris and Deutsche Bank as financial advisers to Unibail-Rodamco on its $24.7bn acquisition of Westfield Corporation.
- Advised EssilorLuxottica on its agreement with Hal Optical Investments to acquire all of its 76.72% ownership interest in GrandVision for approximately €5.5bn.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP acts for large French corporations, major international businesses and financial institutions, as well as leading private equity sponsors on complex domestic and cross-border acquisitions and divestments. In addition to its work on private and public M&A, it also handles distressed transactions and corporate reorganisations. It frequently acts for buyers on deals in sectors including retail, infrastructure and energy. Key names include Annette Péron, Daniel Hurstel and Eduardo Fernandez. Gabriel Flandin was promoted to partner last year.
- Acted for CMA CGM on its friendly public tender offer to acquire Ceva Logistics.
- Advised CMA CGM on the acquisition of Container Finance’s container shipping and logistics business Containerships.
- Acted for Vilmorin & Cie on its acquisition of two Latin American seed businesses from Pampa Agribusiness.
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
- Acted for FinTake Group on its acquisition of Leasecom from Crédit Mutuel Arkéa.
- Assisted Financière SAF with its acquisition of Finheli, the holding company of the Azur Hélicoptère group of companies, from Mr. Michel de Rohozinski and other shareholders.
- Advised Nethys on the sale of its shareholding interests in Nice-Matin and La Provence to NJJ Holding (owned by Xavier Niel).
‘Jean-Christophe Sauzey and Christophe Lefaillet are extremely competent, available pragmatic and pleasant in their way of collaborating and vigorously defending the interests of the client.’
‘Jean-Thomas always gave me the sense of calm, control and a high sense of trust – these qualities let me concentrate on the commercial matters at hand, knowing the technical & legal matters of the transaction were in very safe hands.’
‘From the outset, Jean-Thomas and his team understood the matters very well and what was required for a successful transaction. The entire process always felt under tight control. The team was very responsive and always available for assistance. The service from CMS was excellent value for money.’
Ramsay Générale de Santé
Compagnie de Saint Gobain
SADE – Veolia
Circle Media Group
Circle Media Group
Groupe des Assurances du Crédit Mutuel
Jacquet Metal Service
Cars Berthelet Over
- Assisted Circle Media Group with the acquisition of the CPI group, a leading player in European Book Printing.
- Advised US entertainment group Advance Publications Inc. on the acquisition of 100% of the shares in musical group Stage Entertainment, European leader in musicals, from private equity investor CVC Capital Partners and Stage’s founder Joop van den Ende.
- Advised Luxair on its acquisition of shares in Objectif Lune, a subsidiary of Group Prêt à Partir, a family-owned group specialised in travel agencies and transportation, allowing Luxair to expand its travel options through LuxairTours and giving a foothold to Luxair in the French market.
‘Strong ability to integrate into a multidisciplinary project team on a transaction. Ability to encompass, beyond M&A, all subjects (social, fiscal) including in the United States and to mobilize internal skills diligently. Tailor-made approach and strong understanding of the commercial challenges of buyers and sellers.’
‘The Dechert team analyzes all the risks to study its proposal, which makes it a real business partner.’
‘Great availability and reactivity, good knowledge of the sector.’
Generali Insurance Asset Management
Stanley Europe BVBA
Astorg Partners SAS
BearingPoint France SAS
- Advised the shareholders of French feed producer Neovia, majority owned (67.5%) by InVivo, on the sale of the worldwide Neovia business to Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM).
- Advised Generali on its strategic partnership with Sycomore Asset Management.
- Acted for Eurovia on the acquisition of the assets of the Lane Plants & Paving.
Strong and very capable team with multiple experienced lawyers. Offering great quality legal advice for good value.
Olivier Genevois – “a wise and mature legal and business counsel. He has a deep understanding of commercial aspects of transactions and is very skilled at selecting best legal solution for a given situation. Very balanced and mature approach to negotiations. It is always a pleasure to work with him on any deal.
Dries Van Noten
Editions Lefebvre Sarrut
KLS Capital Partners
- Advised Lactalis, the French multinational dairy corporation, on its EUR740 million multi-jurisdictional, acquisition of the global infant nutrition business of South African pharmaceutical group Aspen Pharmacare.
- Advised Capital Partners in their acquisition from Perseus Group of a group of companies operating 4-5-stars hotels in Val Thorens, Courchevel, Megève and Saint Raphaël.
- Advising Lisi Aerospace on the sale of all its shares in Indraéro Siren to Quantum Capital Partners.
‘Available, creative, high quality of service.’
‘Tailor made advice. User friendly. Reasonably priced.’
Orano (formerly Areva)
- Advising Rethmann Group, a German Group, on the acquisition of a 30% stake of Veolia in Transdev and the contribution by Rethmann Group to Transdev of the passenger public transportation activities in Germany.
- Advising PeopleDoc’s shareholders on the sale of 100% of the share capital of the company to the Ultimate Software Group, a US company, for $300m.
- Acting for the management of Weave, specialised in consulting services, in the sale of the group to onepoint.
‘Team members are always responsive, professional and extremely relevant.’
‘High level of availability. High level of efficiency. Deep knowledge. All subjects covered.’
‘They have strong capabilities in international mergers and acquisitions, especially in the emerging jurisdictions.’
‘The team is very collegial and homogeneous and offers top-notch services.’
‘Their cohesion is impressive as well as their technical skills and impressive practice.’
‘Maxence Bloch is the senior M&A partner with an outstanding command of law and sense for achieving results.’
Maisons du Monde
La Martiniquaise- Bardinet
- Acted for AMS Industries, a private equity firm specialising in direct and fund of funds investments in all industries, with a focus on the energy, media, tourism, and industrial sectors.
- Advised FPEE group, a French custom joinery manufacturer, on its combination, through a joint holding company, with its domestic counterpart Bouvet group, a French industrial joinery (windows, doors and shutters) manufacturer and supplier.
- Advised Citoxlab, backed by longstanding client, Ardian, on the sale of 100% of the share capital of CTL International, holding company of Citoxlab group, to a subsidiary of Charles River Laboratories International, Inc.
‘Very profound and detailed knowledge of the legal matters, good mix of lawyers with highly analytical skills and with practical approach.’
‘Team is experienced, and able to dedicate huge resources when required.’
‘The ability to identify and assess the risks associated with the transaction, explain them to clients in plain terms, consider and reflect appropriate measures in the documentation swiftly and effectively.’
SWISS LIFE AM
SOCIETE GENERALE DE BANK AU LIBAN
FONDATION ASSET MANAGEMENT
DEUTSCHE BETEILIGUNGS AG
ORANO (Former AREVA)
DCC ENERGY LTD
INNERGEX ENERGIE RENOUVLABLE
DONNELLEY FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS
NIPPON STEEL SUMITOMO METAL CORPORATION (NSSMC)
COMPAGNIE DES ALPES
GROUPE INDUSTRIEL MARCEL DASSAULT
- Advised Groupe Socomore SA on the acquisition of a stake in Mäder Conseil (parent company of the Mäder group) and the acquisition of 100% of the capital of the subsidiary Mäder Aéro (formed following the spin-off of Soficor Mäder).
- Advised InterDigital on the acquisition of the Research and Innovation business of Technicolor.
- Acted for Midsona AB on the acquisition of 100% of the organic food business of Ebro Foods (a subsidiary of Panzani SA, a major producer of vegetable and organic food in Spain and France).
‘Very responsive, serious and legally sharp team. Excellent interpersonal skills, both with us and with third parties.’
‘The priority is the customer 24/7. In a world where partnership is a working model, it is rare to find law firms capable of operating in partnership and transparency mode.‘
‘Lionel Koehler-Magne Serres provides a very diligent and professional service.‘
‘The lawyers we have worked with have been both brilliant counsel and excellent negotiators.’
‘Client focused and result oriented.’
- Advising Allianz Africa on the sale of its stakes in five African subsidiaries to Sunu Group
- Advising Altus Group on the acquisition of Taliance Group.
- Assisted AnaCap Financial Partners with the sale of Ellisphere to Andera Partners and Tikehau Capital.
‘Very good professionals that immediately understand our needs and are able to deliver complex deals.’
‘Some brilliant partners like Benoit Marpeau and his very sharp thinking and going straight to the point.’
‘Real collaborative work between the firm and the client.’
‘Benoit Marpeau is reactive and a top qualify adviser. He is a future star in the market.’
Compagnie des Alpes
- Advising Casino on the sale of several dozen stores to competitors (e.g. Lidl and Intermarché’s members).
- Advising Casino on the sale of fifteen hypermarkets to competitors (e.g. Leclerc’s members, Intermarché’s members, Systeme U’s members).
- Assisting Apax Partners and the other founding shareholders with the acquisition of Altran Technologies, world leader in engineering and industrial consulting listed on the Euronext stock exchange, by Capgemini – in the framework of a friendly public takeover bid.
Jacquet Metal Service
- Assisted Lagardère with its strategic refocusing, including the sale of its media hub, continuous divestitures during the group refocusing on Lagardère Retail and Lagardère editing.
- Advised Covivio and its subsidiary on the reorganization of capital and the contribution of assets to Covivio Hôtels.
- Assisted Alès Groupe with its restructuring.
‘High availability and reactivity, including associates.’
‘Proactive and business makers.’
Crédit Agricole / CASA
SNCF / Geodis
XL Airways / La Compagnie
- Advised Vendis Capital, a Belgium PE fund, on its leveraged investment in L’Atelier d’Amaya.
- Assisted LFB Group with the sale of CellforCure to Novartis.
- Advised XL Airways/La Compagnie on the sale of Vacances Heliades, a leading tour operator historically dedicated to Greece, to Marietton Developpement.
PSB Industries and Baikowski
Dévelopment and Almpatros
Caisse des Dépôts
- Advised Vallourec on the sale of Vallourec Drilling Products to Altifort.
- Advised the founder on the sale of Ethic Intelligence to the Red Flag Group.
‘For us, it comes down to Gilles Amsallem and the excellent associates he is able to attract and train.’
- Advising Lonza, a Swiss chemical group that is one of the leading suppliers to the pharmaceutical industry, on the sale of its water treatment activities to the US investment fund Platinum Equity.
- Advising a British provider of SaaS solutions in online purchasing on the acquisition of the French retailtech Early Birds for €16m.
- Counsel to Corcentric on the acquisition of the assets of the Determine Inc. group.
‘Excellent choice for mid-size M&A deals, the team is responsive, constructive and client friendly.’
‘Edgard Nguyen is an exceptional lawyer with a strong expertise in the banking sector.’
‘Cecile Davanne-Mortreux is a very passionate, high quality operator who provides outstanding value for her clients.’
La Banque Postale
Argynnis Group (formerly Binar AB)
Better Collective A/S
Crédit Agricole SA
Mirabaud Patrimoine Vivant
Golf Digest Online
Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S
- Advising the Charbonnier family on the sale of Beck Industries group to US private equity fund Watermill Group.
- Acting for Société Générale on its investment in Reezocar, a company in the automotive sector
- Advising Mirabaud Asset Management through Mirabaud Patrimoine Vivant on its investment in Le Coq Sportif.
‘The team features very experienced and proactive professionals, combines significant cross-border skills and the ability to deliver fast and creative solutions.’
‘Very competent, experienced and efficient team. They are very reactive and always find tailor-made solutions to the client’s needs.’
AG2R LA MONDIALE
AIR FRANCE KLM
COVEA (MAAF, MMA, GMF)
COMMISSARIAT À L’ENERGIE ATOMIQUE
GE HEALTH CARE
SYNOVA (TOTAL GROUP)
- Advised AG2R La Mondiale on its €12bn merger with Matmut.
- Assisted Engie with its €60m acquisition of Vol-V Biomasse.
- Advised Covéa on the re-negotiation of its longstanding bank-insurance partnership with BPCE.
Dyal Capital Partners
Sun Capital Partners
Triodos Organic Growth Fund
- Advised LGT Private Debt France on the acquisition of Moria group by Naxicap Partners from Bridgepoint Development Capital.
- Acted for Itochu Corporation on its investment in Traxens.
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation on the acquisition of Saci-CFPA.
‘I have worked with Raphael Dalmas and his team on several occasions. They are very good professionals, reliable, available.’
‘Broad range of services and expert advice. Dedicated team, in-depth analysis and responses.’
‘Astura has a unique practice with unique knowledge of French-speaking African countries in the domain of M&A and cross-border transactions.’
‘An efficient and pragmatic team able to work with a wide range of clients, from small startups to large groups.’
‘Real operational knowledge and a go-to approach, that make them stand-out. I consider BG2V as a real partner in my M&A operations, not only a legal counsel.’
METROPOLE TELEVISION (M6)
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
GENERALE DU SOLAIRE
ELEPHANT AT WORK
CA C’EST PARIS
La Cabane des Bambins
- Acted for the main shareholder of a subsidiary of Groupe Elephant on the negotiation for the sale of 100% of said group to Webedia.
- Acted for the main investor (NextStage) on the negotiation for the 100% sale of Efesco Consulting otherwise owned by Argos to Eurazeo.
- Acted for M6 on the sale of the wholly-owned French league 1 Football Club Les Girondins de Bordeaux to US fund GACP.
Infravia Capital Partners
Swiss Holding Company
OMV Turbochargeur System
EnPro Industries (Garlock Sealing Technologies)
- Advising Infravia Energie Aquitaine, a subsidiary of the Infravia Capital Partners group, on the sale of its shareholding in Regaz-Bordeaux, the largest French independent gas distribution company, to Sogecap, a Société Générale insurance entity
- Advising the Noblelift Group on the acquisition of Savoye SA and its subsidiaries (specialising in intra-logistics solutions and in particular automated systems for order picking) from the Legris Industries Group.
- Advising a Swiss holding company on the acquisition of Nexway, a French company specialised in the monetisation of products and services online
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
‘The team is very diligent and professional. All the members are very friendly and patient, whenever we need them, they will be right there for us.’
Shanghai La Chapelle Fashion
Ecriture Communication SAS
DS Smith PLC
Yantai Taihai Group
- Advised JR286 on the acquisition of the Dakine business from Altamont Capital Partners.
- Acted for Shanghai La Chapelle on the acquisition of the shares held by Trendy Pioneer and EastLink International in the Naf Naf group’s takeover holding company.
- Advising the shareholders of the publishing house Ecriture Communication and its subsidiaries, Presses du Chatelet and Editions Archipoche, as part of the sale to the Editis group (a subsidiary of Vivendi).
‘Highly pragmatic, very efficient and excellent quality. They are much better value for price than many other firms.’
Multi-skilled and close relationship between the teams. Ideal operation for a ‘deal-team.’
OCP / Mc KESSON
LE BRONZE ALLOYS
CTS COMPUTER AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS
STEINMANN MANAGMENT DEVELOPPMENT
- Advising Unigrains (agri-food and agro-industry investor) on the acquisition of Mecatherm from Wendel.
- Advising shareholders of Biggie Holding on its acquisition by TF1 NUMÉRIQUE (French TV Group).
‘Responsive and fast, pragmatic and business-minded team.’
‘The team is highly dedicated, very professional, with a wide scope of expertise.’
Zapa Cita Investissement
PSA Peugeot – Citroën
- Acted for GFI Informatique on its takeover bid for Realdolmen.
- Advised GFI Informatique on its acquisition of 100% of Vauban.
- Advised GFI Informatique On its acquisition of Archos Technology and Capital Conuslting.
‘Integrated practice and very good knowledge of the French and transnational market.’
‘The firm has a remarkable level of expertise in new technologies and this expertise is very useful in merger operations in this sector.’
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Gardinier & Fils
Générale du Solaire
Groupe Soufflet (Malteries Franco-Belges)
Islamic Bank of Development
John Laing Group Plc
Les Nouveaux Constructeurs
MCC Non-Ferrous Trading, Inc.
- Assisted Spir Communication with the negotiation and signing and completion of the sale of Concept Multimédia to Axel Springer.
- Advised Alstom on setting up of a partnership with French public agency Ademe, aimed at financing the R&D of the next generation of high-speed trains.
- Assisted Les Nouveaux Constructeurs (LNC), the promotion company controlled by the family of Mr. Olivier Mitterrand, with the merger and absorption of Premier Associés.
‘Friendly mindset which helps a lot in negotiation.’
‘Value for money.’
EDH et Quilvest
- Advised Assystem on the acquisition of Asco.
- Advised Olympique Lyonnais on the acquisition of a stake in Asvel.
- Assisted Hellowork with the takeover of Diplomeo.
PIM and Kleboth family
Groupe AD Industrie
Michel & Augustin
- Advised the sellers, the fund PIM Participations and the Kleboth family, as part of the takeover of the Babou family’s 95 low-price stores by B&M European Value Retail.
- Advised the Rossmann Group on a production sites exchange with International Paper.
- Acted for the Finastar group on a majority sale of Airstar Aerospace to the CNIM Group.
Alpha Private Equity
DXC (ex CSC – Computer Sciences Corporation)
- Advising Parts Holding Europe and its digital subsidiary Digital Auto Parts Holding on its acquisition of a majority stake in Oscaro.
- Acting for Awox on its acquisition by signature of a SPA (sell and purchase agreement), of the Chacon Group.
- Advising ACE Management, as majority shareholder, on the €8M capital increase of Groupe LPF.
- Advice to Finora (Etam Developpement controlling shareholder) on the compulsory takeover bid followed by a squeeze-out of the capital of Etam Developpement.
‘An awesome team.‘
Joffe & Associés
HUMAN & WORK PROJECT
MY MEDIA GROUP
- Advising Ken Group on the acquisition of CMG – Club Med Gym.
- Assisted with the acquisition of La Comtoise by Gimv.
- Advised Fountaine Pajot on the acquisition of Dufour Yachts.
Gimar & Cie
Agence France Presse
- Advised on Orange’s acquisition of control in Orange Tunisie.
- Assisted Paris Fonds Vert, a fund managed by the company Demeter Partners, with its investment, alongside Construction Venture and Suez, in the Hesus group.
- Assisted the shareholders of NEH and CHCR with the sale of their shares to Canodor.
B&M European Value
CAISSE DES DEPOTS
BNF / KONBINI
- Advised the Eneco group, a Dutch major utility company, on the sale to Albioma, a French listed company, of 100% of Eneco France, a developer of rooftop solar power solutions.
- Advised EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG on the acquisition of the French developer and operator of wind and solar farms Valeco.
- Acted for B&M on all aspects of its acquisition of Paminvest SAS, the holding company of the “Babou” group, which operates a chain of 95 stores in France.
- Advised onepoint group on the acquisition of the Weave group.
- Acted for Conduent on the disposal of its ticketing system-related activities for car parks in France, the US and the UK through a highly competitive bid process.
- Advised Wireless Logic, the UK-based European IoT connectivity platform leader backed by Montagu Private Equity on the acquisition of 100% of Matooma from its founders.
Flight Center Travel Group
Bee Family Office
- Advised Endel Engie on the acquisition of Pierre Guérin, a specialist in the industrial process in food and beverage industry and life sciences.
- Advised Terreal on the acquisition of a 51% stake in GSE Intégration, the B2B branch of the Groupe Solution Energie, a specialist in solar photovoltaic solutions for existing residential roofs.
- Advised Sameole, a company specialising in the development of wind energy, with the sale of about 20 wind farms to Engie Green Holding.
Reinhart Marville Torre
EUROFINS SCIENTIFIC GROUP
GOODYEAR DUNLOP TIRES
KEYS ASSET MANAGEMENT
- Assisting Vivacy Laboratories Group with the entry of the American Investment Fund TA Associates for a minority stake (38%) in the Group.
- Advising Eurofins on the negotiation of a long-term commercial and R&D partnership with Terrena and Axereal groups.
Sekri Valentin Zerrouk
AMUNDI PRIVATE EQUITY FUNDS
WATERLAND PRIVATE EQUITY
- Advised IM SQUARE on a new investment in Scharf Investments.
- Advised Turenne Capital on its acquisition of a shareholding in Meltgroup.
- Acted for Turenne Capital and Picardy Investissements on the financing of Jade Investissements.
Crédit Mutuel Arkéa
Artal / Invus
Daniel Féau Immobilier
William Grant & Sons
Grenier à Pain
CMA – CGM
Bold Rock Management & Investments Ltd
- Assistance to BRMI with the acquisition of a minority stake in Spectra Legal.
- Advised of the control of the company Les Editions de la Presse Spécialisée.
‘Very good comprehension of business.’
Amadeus IT Group
Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris
CCFA (Comité des Constructeurs Français d’Automobiles)°
Groupe La Poste
Le Coq Sportif
Les Cinémas Pathé Gaumont
ONFI – Office National des Forêts International
Total Specific Solutions Group
Total Webhosting Solutions
- Advised Electrolux on the acquisition of Unic SAS.
- Advised La Poste Silver on the acquisition of DiaDom.
- Acted for the shareholders of Nedap France on the sale to a holding company controlled by B & Capital and the managers of Nedap France.
‘They have a complete and current knowledge of the healthcare sector and have extensive experience in this area.‘
‘The firm is highly technical, and our collaboration has been very successful. In addition to meeting our demands, they can anticipate well what will needs to be done, which is very rare.’
‘We completely value and trust their opinion and appreciate their responsiveness.’
Atlas Holdings, Inc.
Banque Neuflize OBC
Dada Holdings LLC
GLL Real Estate Partners
Nissan Europe SAS
Soitec More than
The Jordan Company, Inc.
- Advised Biopath, SFMTBIO, and Polibio, including their shareholders and managers, on their sale to Unilabs, one of the stakes acquired by the funds advised by Apax Partners LLP.
- Acted for General American Capital Partners on its acquisition of French football club Girondins de Bordeaux from media group M6.
- Assisted with the shutdown of Comcast’s Montpellier site and internal reorganisation.