Intellectual property: Patents in France
Allen & Overy LLP
The 'respected, client-oriented, responsive, creative and pragmatic' team at Allen & Overy LLP 'is very experienced, in particular in patent/SPC matters in the pharmaceutical field'. The firm assists an enviable roster of clients in this sector, and is representing Novartis in a series of actions pending at the Paris Court of First Instance concerning the enforcement of a patent protecting a second medical use of zoledronic acid. Laëtitia Bénard is 'the doyenne of life sciences litigation on behalf of originators', according to one client. David Por, whose particular focus is on the technology industry, acts for clients including Samsung. Counsel Charles Tuffreau and counsel Eveline Van Keymeulen are also noted, and Alexandre Rudoni is another key name to note.
‘Laëtitia Bénard, with her team, is very experienced, in particular in patent/SPC matters in the pharmaceutical field. Respected, client-oriented, responsive, creative, pragmatic.‘
‘Highly knowledgeable, innovative, determined, focused, client friendly team.‘
‘Laëtitia Bénard, the doyenne of life sciences litigation on behalf of originators, displays bulldog determination to win. She is a real fighter, creative, superb in court, producer of erudite submissions and a delight to work with.‘
‘Charles Tuffreau is a counsel whose skills in patent litigation and submissions are developing well.‘
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Representing Merck Sharpe & Dohme in multiple patent actions before the Paris Court of First Instance, the Paris Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court, concerning the validity and enforcement against major generic companies of its SPCs.
- Acting for Archos in French, German and Dutch patent infringement actions brought by Philips concerning essential patents regarding the UMTS/LTE standard and implementation patents linked to mobile phone-operating systems.
- Representing Novartis in a series of actions pending at the Paris Court of First Instance concerning the enforcement of a patent protecting a second medical use of zoledronic acid for the treatment of osteoporosis against the main French actors on the generic market.
August Debouzy's particular strength lies in litigating on behalf of pharmaceutical companies, although the 'large team of patent professionals' also provides assistance with non-contentious matters, including drafting patent applications. The team represented Gaztransport & Technigaz in complex opposition proceedings before the European patent office in a cross-border matter, which ended successfully for the client. Joint team heads Grégoire Desrousseaux and François Pochart are 'outstanding professionals allying technical and legal skills'. Also recommended are counsels Lionel Martin and Mathilde Rauline, and senior associate Martin Brion. Counsel Loïc Lemercier joined Clifford Chance in October 2019.
‘In a patent infringement case which ended successfully at the Supreme Court, one of the success factors was the engagement shown by Grégoire Desrousseaux and his small team.‘
‘Grégoire Desrousseaux shows outstanding creativity and pro-activity. He keeps all the details in mind in his evaluations and his manner of reporting is excellent. This, along with the involvement of the entire team, led to our success at the end.‘
‘Large team of patent professionals, highly technically and legally qualified.‘
‘Grégoire Desrousseaux and François Pochart are outstanding professionals allying technical and legal skills.‘
FRESENIUS KABI DEUTSCHLAND GMBH
GAZ TRANSPORT ET TECHNIGAZ (GTT)
TENARIS CONNECTION BV (TCBV)
TOTAL MARKETING SERVICES (TMS)
- Represented Fresenius kabi, a leading healthcare company, in a patent infringement action initiated against biosimilars belonging to competitors on the French market.
- Assisting Laboratoire Grimberg with its global IP strategy, including drafting patent applications and handling patent prosecution.
- Assisting Total Marketing Services with the negotiation and drafting of two secondment arrangements.
Bird & Bird frequently handles contentious matters for clients from a wide spectrum of sectors, in particular life sciences and healthcare (Amgen and Accord Healthcare), and technology and telecoms (Broadcom). Yves Bizollon leads a team which is defending Nespresso in a cross-border patent infringement case, which would affect all types of machines produced in the last ten years; the action has been brought by the company set up by its former CEO. Anne-Charlotte Le Bihan is representing longstanding client Honeywell in an infringement action initiated by a French company based on a European patent. Other key names to note are Lyon-based Géraldine Arbant and counsel Laurent Labatte.
- Defending Accord Healthcare in patent litigation before the Paris Court of First Instance.
- Defending Nespresso in a patent infringement case brought by the company set up by its former CEO, ECC.
- Representing Minakem, a leading French chemistry company in the field of fine chemicals, in a contentious matter against a former employee who created a competing company and filed patent applications on its patented technology.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. fields 'a responsive, thorough, creative, to-the-point and highly effective' team. The firm has strengthened its range by taking on noteworthy new clients from the technology sector, including Apple and Verasonics. Litigation is an important focus; Emmanuel Larere and Raphaëlle Dequiré-Portier are acting for Bristol-Myers Squibb and its licensor, Japanese laboratory Ono Pharmaceutical, which specialises in cancer treatment, with two appeals before the Paris court regarding the refusal, by the French patent office, of two SPCs related to two major immunotherapy treatments. Other key names to note are Jean-Hyacinthe de Mitry, Grégoire Triet and Arnaud Michel.
‘Grégoire Triet and his team is the go-to place in France for patents. Responsive, thorough, creative, to the point and highly effective. We have been instructing them for many years and have been very satisfied with their performance time and time again. It is a privilege to be working with them.‘
Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS) and ONO Pharmaceuticals
Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH
Koninklijke Douwe Egberts BV (“KDE”), part of Jacobs Douwe Egberts group (“JDE”)
Janssen (J&J) and G.D. Searle (Pfizer)
- Representing the defendant Guerbet, a pioneer in the field of contrast agents for medical imaging, in a patent invalidity case brought by Bayer.
- Defending Apple in France as part of the worldwide patent litigation initiated by Qualcomm.
- Representing Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland, as the claimant, in the French aspects of a patent infringement cross-border case against Mylan.
HOYNG ROKH MONÉGIER
The large team at HOYNG ROKH MONÉGIER's ability to provide 'in depth analysis of the case even on technical aspects' makes it 'excellent for technologically sophisticated cases'. The team demonstrated its strength in contentious cross-border matters by representing high-profile client AstraZeneca in EU-wide litigation against various generic companies regarding patents covering Faslodex. Other noteworthy clients include Sony, Orange and Conversant Wireless. The practice is jointly headed by Denis Monégier du Sorbier, Benoit Strowel and 'fluent and impressive advocate' Sabine Agé. Also recommended are Florence Jacquand, who is 'excellent on legal aspects and is also very comfortable on technical aspects', and Sophie Micallef. Amandine Métier is another name to note for patent litigation.
‘Among the best IP law firms in France. In depth analysis of the case even on technical aspects. Excellent case management. Excellent for technologically sophisticated cases. They know how to handle such cases and explain technical points to the judge.‘
‘Florence Jacquand is excellent on legal aspects and is also very comfortable on technical aspects, which facilitates the collaboration. She is a very pleasant person to work with.‘
‘Great strength in depth across the partnership and with the support of a good team of well trained associates. They offer timely and well thought through advice, with good language and client skills. They are always a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Sabine Agé – fluent and impressive advocate across a range of technical areas from biotech to SEP/ FRAND. Bright, hardworking and strategic.‘
Ceva Santé Animale
Heckler & Koch
Procter & Gamble
- Represented Conversant Wireless Licensing before the Paris Court of Appeal regarding the enforcement of essential patent rights against LG Electronics.
- Defending Orange in an action brought by Intellectual Ventures (a US non-practising entity) based on standard essential patents.
- Representing Vorwerk in litigation against Lidl over patents covering various features of its famous cooking device Thermomix.
Many leading players within the biotechnology and pharmaceutical sectors turn to the team at Jones Day for patent advice, including Coloplast, the European market leader for urinary catheters, and Naos, well-known in the skincare industry. The firm handles the full range of contentious matters, including patent infringement litigation and appealing patent decisions, often working across borders. Thomas Bouvet, who jointly heads the practice with Emmanuel Baud, is acting for Vestergaard Frandsen in proceedings against the client's former employee for trade secret violations.
Naos (Bioderma, Esthederm)
- Representing the claimant, Coloplast, in litigation against its main competitor for infringement of two European patents in several European countries.
- Defending Knauf Insulation in an alleged patent infringement case brought by Saint-Gobain Isover, in the field of isolation products.
- Representing Santen in its appeal of a French patent office’s decision refusing to grant Santen a supplementary patent certificate.
Linklaters stands out for its 'strong understanding of patent law as it applies to pharmaceuticals'. However, the firm's 'competencies span many different technical areas' and it also acts for clients from sectors including infrastructure and technology. The team assists with the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious matters, frequently acting across borders, including representing clients in patent infringement cases and negotiating patent agreements. Practice head Pauline Debré provides 'clear and honest advice'. Another key name to note is associate Jean-François Merdignac. Associate Bastien Husson was a new arrival from Gibson Dunn.
‘Pauline Debré of Linklaters Paris is very knowledgeable and personable. She kept on top of things and kept moving things forward. Her legal knowledge is quite high.‘
‘Linklaters (France) has a strong understanding of patent law as it applies to pharmaceuticals and strong litigation skills.‘
‘Stand out partners include Pauline Debré. Stand out associates include Jean-François Merdrignac.‘
‘The team provides very good legal analysis and strategic advice. Competencies span many different technical areas.‘
‘A reactive team, always available, with a lot of business sense.‘
‘Pauline Debré – always calm, always professional, always available, shows a lot of ideas at the business level.‘
Aramis has gained a number of new clients in various sectors, including food and beverage (Belmoca), banking (Banque Publique d’Investissement), and software (Enyx). The group handles a strong mix of contentious and advisory matters, and are praised for 'anticipating, adapting and identifying appropriate solutions'. The firm is representing Teoxane in cross-border patent infringement litigation in a matter worth €150m. Practice head Benjamin May is 'subtle in his advice and his approach and assessment of situations'. Also recommended are associate David Roche and senior associate Louis Jestaz.
‘Aramis is a group of people organised to work together. All people combine simplicity and efficiency. They are clearly competitive with big firms but advantageously remain human-sized. Aramis excels in anticipating, adapting and identifying appropriate solutions.‘
‘Benjamin May has the appreciable quality of being subtle in his advice and his approach and assessment of situations. He has an excellent understanding of European regulations and French legislation. He knows to respond to requests in a pragmatic way. He is simple, reliable, mentally quick and thus efficient. He’s a person of great value.‘
‘Very good reactivity, sense of urgency and pragmatism.‘
‘Forcible while remaining attentive to the wishes of customers.‘
Banque Public d’investissement
- Representing Teoxane in cross-border patent infringement litigation in a matter worth €150m.
- Assisting Banque Publique d’Investissement (French Public Investment Bank) with various agreements involving patents and know-how in the context of a joint venture for an industrial project with Metex.
- Overseeing the strategy and coordination between the French and US counsels of client Enyx in a complex dispute regarding ownership of patents (on finance trading software) initiated by Novasparks.
'One of the best patent specialists in France', Armengaud Guerlain has expanded its practice with the addition of several noteworthy new clients in various industries, including biotechnology, and oil and gas services. The team is particularly active in patent litigation, representing claimants and defendants in cross-border cases. 'Bright lawyer' Catherine Mateu is defending a bailiff who performed a seizure in patent infringement proceedings where the court had held that the patentee did not show sufficient evidence of the infringement, in a deal worth €1.6m. The 'efficient and effective' Stéphane Guerlain and associate Axelle Collin are also recommended.
‘Catherine Mateu is a bright lawyer, very knowledgeable with pleasant manners.‘
‘They are one of the best patent specialists in France, with fine legal knowledge and great experience complemented by the certain talent of their professionals. I would add that they know very well how to work with industrial property attorneys leading to efficient patent litigation. They also know how to work with all sizes of customers, from large multinational companies to individuals, located in France and abroad.‘
‘Catherine Mateu is very efficient and effective, including on delicate procedural questions. Stéphane Guerlain is likewise very efficient and effective, with an excellent capacity for synthesis and technical understanding. Their collaborators Marguerite Higgons and Nicolas Le Pays du Teilleul are also talented.‘
SAMCA / NOVAPET
- Defending Wiko in patent infringement actions initiated by Philips, claiming the infringement of three patents in France.
- Defending Estar Medical in patent infringement claims concerning a pharmaceutical process used for anti-aging, pending before the Paris Court of First Instance.
- Representing the claimant, TTK, in breach of contract and confidence litigation based on patent filings and trade secrets misappropriation.
Dentons acts for high-profile clients from a wide range of sectors, including life sciences, telecoms and fashion. Practice head David Masson is representing a major player in the technological industry in an international patent dispute, showcasing the firm's strength in advising on contentious cross-border matters. The team is also defending Industrie Cartarie Tronchetti (ICT), a manufacturer of absorbent paper, in patent litigation launched against it in France and Germany by the group SCA Tissues France, in a matter which involves close collaboration between teams in Paris, Frankfurt and Barcelona.
- Defending ICT, a manufacturer of absorbent paper, in patent litigation launched against it in France and in Germany by the group SCA Tissues France.
- Defending CNRS and Inserm against a patent preliminary injunction.
- Representing CNRS in a co-ownership dispute.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's team stands out for its 'strong intellectual rigour'. It has a wide sector focus, advising clients from a range of industries, including aerospace, electronics, telecoms, energy, life sciences, and retail. The technical expertise of the team was strengthened by the arrival of Jules Fabre who joined as legal director from an in-house position with Teva. The firm handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including representing clients in pan-European patent litigation, advising on potential upcoming changes to the EU intellectual property and pharmaceutical incentives legislation, and negotiating and drafting patent licensing contracts. Emmanuel Gougé heads the practice, supported by senior associate Virginia de Freitas.
‘Very attentive to the customer, very business oriented and provides practical solutions.‘
‘Very high level of professionalism with strong intellectual rigour.‘
Institut Mines Télécom
- Representing claimant Institut Mines Télécom, a leading French telecom research institution, in a patent ownership dispute with one of its former employees.
Cabinet Schertenleib is distinguished by its 'high quality of technical ability, particularly in technology' and a team that is 'scientifically qualified to a high level'. This allows the boutique firm to represent notable clients from the life sciences and telecoms industries in litigious matters, including new additions Samsung and Biogen. 'First-class' litigator Denis Schertenleib leads a team which represents pharmaceutical company Mylan in its revocation action against Gilead Science's intellectual property rights over blockbuster drug Truvada in a cross-border matter worth €20m. The key contact in the life sciences sector is Ombeline Degrèze-Péchade.
‘What makes Schertenleib outstanding is the high quality of technical ability, particularly in technology (such as electronics), combined with a commercial understanding of the goals in-house counsel need to achieve.‘
‘Denis Schertenleib is first class. Firstly, his scientific knowledge is extensive. Secondly, he is commercially minded to the point. Thirdly, he is unique in having also qualified in an Anglo-Saxon firm and so is able to understand better than most what US and UK clients want from their lawyer. He seamlessly translates that into the context of what the French legal system demands. He is the go-to French IP lawyer.‘
‘Denis Schertenleib and team are highly specialist. They are technically excellent when it comes to patent law and creative when it comes to strategy, and also, rarely for the French market, are scientifically qualified to a high level.‘
- Representing Amgen, as the claimant, in its patent infringement case against Sanofi.
- Acting for Zentiva in proceedings brought by Novartis which asks for an injunction against Zentiva for commercialising Everolimus, a generic medicine used for treating breast cancer; Zentiva is requesting the revocation of the considered patent.
- Representing TCL Communication and its affiliates in litigation in order to obtain a Frand licence from Philips.
The 'excellent mix of professional talent' at Simmons & Simmons allows the team to assist clients from a variety of sectors, focusing especially on pharmaceutical and life sciences, in which industries it has gained new clients including Merck KGaA. It handles the gamut of contentious and non-contentious matters. 'Swift, accurate, patient' Marina Cousté is leading a team with François Jonquères, which is defending telecoms company Sigos in a patent infringement action in which the European patent is claiming priority over the French patent at stake, initiated by Araxxe, and worth €5m. The other key name to note at the practice is that of 'outstanding negotiator' Sarah Bailey.
‘Excellent mix of professional talent and right behaviour in the relationship with clients.‘
‘Marina Cousté – swift, accurate, patient with non-lawyers, tough in negotiations with pernickety legal issues, experienced, well organised.‘
‘Simmons and Simmons is a team of experts in the health field. Able to adapt to all types of customers and support them in their operations with rigour and flexibility. Its reputation makes it an ideal business partner.‘
‘Sarah Bailey is an outstanding negotiator and a fine tactician. Francois Jonquères, patent expert, is a remarkable asset in advanced contractual negotiations. Frédérique Potin shows great pragmatism while retaining a perfect analytical capacity for optimal support. Mickaël da Costa brings in-depth knowledge of the files and demonstrates high IP relevance. It is a real pleasure to work with advice of this level and with a team which has such perfect availability.‘
J.C. Bamford Excavators
Bell Helicopter Textron
- Defended Bell Helicopter Textron in a patent infringement dispute brought by Airbus Helicopters.
- Defending Merck KGaA in patent validity action initiated by a group of patients using Levothyrox.
- Assisted Wright Medical/Imascap with negotiating a consortium agreement with various French public entities and private partners, aimed at organising the ownership and exploitation of the results of the research conducted in the course of the Followknee project.
Abello's patents offering has a particular focus on advising clients from the mechanics and telecoms industries, including noteworthy names such as Nokia. The firm expanded its influence with the addition of multiple new clients from these sectors. The team is highly active in contentious matters, especially patent infringement litigation. Practice head Michel Abello leads a team which is defending Manitou Group in a patent infringement case brought by J.C. Bamford Excavators in a high-value cross-border matter.
EFS (Etablissement français du sang)
- Defending Manitou Group in a patent infringement case brought by J.C. Bamford Excavators.
- Successfully challenged the validity of four patents belonging to Pellenc on behalf of the Felco group.
- Acted for Bonetto in obtaining a declaration of invalidity of a patent asserted by Olivo.
Adamas has expanded its sector base, taking on numerous additional clients from the biotechnology, life sciences, and construction industries. The firm is active in litigious and advisory matters, including representing clients in patent infringement cases and negotiating patent licence agreements. The team's particular experience of the healthcare sector is demonstrated by its ongoing representation of Sandoz in pharmaceutical patent infringement litigation against Daiichi Sankyo, with further litigation pending before the Paris Court of First Instance. The firm is valued for its 'ability to adapt responses according to customer position'. Barbara Bertholet left the practice.
‘High availability, effective treatment of the problems raised. Ability to adapt responses according to customer position.‘
- Representing Sandoz in pharmaceutical patent infringement litigation against Daiichi Sankyo.
Altana's team focuses on the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, electronics and mechanical sectors. Armand Aviges and Frank Valentin are representing clients from these industries in national and cross-border patent infringement litigation. The team also assists clients with non-contentious matters, including analysing competitors' patent portfolios, reaching out to competitors on behalf of clients to avoid patent infringement and advising on the intellectual property aspects of launching a new product. Other key names to note are Pierre Lubet, Jean-Guy de Ruffray, senior associate Cédric Meiller and of counsel Charlotte Hébert-Salomon.
The team at De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés is particularly active in the transactional field, with a strong emphasis on advising clients on transfer of technologies, joint ventures and the intellectual property implications associated with start-ups. Louis de Gaulle, who jointly heads the practice with Francine Le Péchon-Joubert, leads a team which is drafting various co-ownership and licensing agreements for Alstom relating to its a joint venture with Ademe. The group has recently expanded its client base in the manufacturing and biotechnology sectors, where new clients include Cahers and GenOway. Also notable are Blandine Fauran, Julien Horn and Cécile Théard-Jallu.
- Advising Alstom on drafting various co-ownership and licensing agreements relating to its joint venture with Ademe.
- Assisting start-up Ythera with partnership negotiations and device patenting.
- Advising Alstom on a strategy to claim ownership of maintenance documentation and processes.
Dechert LLP makes full use of its global presence and 'very good cohesion in the team' to assist clients with international matters, focusing particularly on the US. The team is particularly strong in non-contentious matters, especially in negotiating licensing and co-ownership agreements. The team advised Lysogene on the conclusion of an exclusive licence agreement with Sarepta Therapeutics, in a cross-border deal worth €108m. The firm has gained new clients from the pharmaceutical and asset management industries. Practice head Marie Fillon is recommended for her 'great skills' and is supported by associate Louis de Chezelles.
‘Strengths: a very good cohesion in the team which is felt during the processing of matters.‘
‘Beyond their great skills, Marie Fillon and Isabelle Marguet have a very human side. It is really very pleasant to work with them. They do not count the number of hours spent on cases and are always available.‘
- Advised Lysogene on the conclusion of an exclusive licence agreement with Sarepta Therapeutics.
- Advised MedinCell, a technology-based pharmaceutical company developing a portfolio of long-acting injectable products in different therapeutic areas, on its patent portfolio.
- Assisted Biomunex with the negotiation of a licensing deal with Sanofi.
DWF (France) AARPI is recognised for its strength in contentious and non-contentious patent matters, particularly in the area of utility patents. Led by Simon Christiaën, the team assists industrial groups, pharmaceutical, hi-tech and IT services companies with the various stages of invention, creation and innovation.
‘Team dedicated to IP issues with excellent skill and expertise.‘
‘Simon Christiaën has been working in the IP area for more than 28 years and is an excellent specialist, who remains available anytime.‘
‘Simon Christiaën is a very specialised patent attorney, extremely competent, very professional, hardworking and modest. He understands quite well the economic stakes and knows how to weigh the pros and the cons.‘
The practice at Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP is organised by sector, which ensures that clients are assisted by lawyers who are familiar with the particular issues and problems faced by their specific industry. The team is especially active in the pharmaceutical and life sciences sector, representing clients in contentious cross-border matters, including pan-European patent disputes and patent infringement litigation. On the non-contentious side, it advises on patent enforcement strategies. The key name to note is Stanislas Roux-Vaillard.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company on aspects of generic attacks on its oncology product.
- Representing a biotechnology company in validity and infringement actions related to a urology dose patent.
- Representing an optical products company in a large pan-European patent dispute.
Boutique firm Taliens fields 'one of the best teams in France'. Its 'large spectrum of expertise' has allowed it to take on several high-profile new clients from the telecoms sector, including Sprint and Sierra Wireless. The team is assisting the latter with a Letter of Request presented to a French court for the collection of evidence in support of US litigation against KP. Facebook also instructed the team to advise it on developing collaboration deals and R&D projects with French and foreign research institutions and universities. Practice head Jean-Frédéric Gaultier 'gives good, timely and actionable advice'.
‘Taliens France has a small but ultra-competent and complementary team. Legal services and advice are very efficient while their cost is reasonable.‘
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier is an excellent lawyer specialising in intellectual property (IP), especially patents. When my clients need an IP lawyer, I always recommend him first. They generally do not regret it, because his success rate is very high. He is very specialised in law, he quickly understands the technical aspects related to patents, and his advice is relevant. It is also reactive, which is very appreciated by my customers, because rather rare.‘
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier is a very accessible lawyer from a human point of view, a generalist in IP law with a very solid expertise in patent law.‘
‘Very clever; excellent client service, especially fast reaction, proactive ideas, excellent communication, especially good English. One of the best teams in France.‘
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier is an excellent IP litigator. He has a good sense of how to maximise the benefit and minimise the risk for the client both locally in France and also in an international context. He is fun to work with and clients love him.‘
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier is very knowledgeable and responsive. He gives good, timely and actionable advice.‘
‘Approachable team, good spirit, very nice to work with. Client-centric and pragmatic, reliable and responsive, large spectrum of expertise which makes it our “go-to” firm for our IP transactional work.‘
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier has a dedicated team around him. He understands the clients’ businesses and various sectors as well as our needs, which makes the dialogue easy and the process smooth. He goes straight to the point.‘
‘Clara Steinitz and Jean-Frédéric Gaultier have a strong listening capability and provide for tailor-made work which suits the needs of their clients perfectly. They have been working together for almost 20 years. They can rely on a very efficient team which ensures that quality work is always delivered on time.‘
- Defending ZTE against a patent infringement action initiated by Intellectual Ventures.
- Assisting Vitruvian Partners with an investment in Dental Monitoring by conducting patent due diligence.
- Representing Aptargroup in patent litigation against HCT.
The team at boutique firm Bardehle Pagenberg is 'an expert recognised by the courts in patent matters' and 'has a unique experience in tackling difficult cases and turning likely defeats into wins'. The team frequently represents clients, mainly from the telecoms sector, in patent infringement disputes. 'Rigorous and creative' practice head Julien Fréneaux represented Free Mobile in a software-related case before the French courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union. The firm was further strengthened by the arrival of attorney Marie-Léa Rols from Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I..
‘The team is an expert recognised by the courts in patent matters. The alliance of lawyers and IP engineers is an asset.‘
‘Julien Fréneaux is a lawyer with extensive experience in patent matters, rigorous and creative.‘
‘The team has a unique experience in tackling difficult cases and turning likely defeats into wins.‘
‘Julien Fréneaux – one of the best litigators in France. Rebecca Deloray – outstanding anti-counterfeiting work. A global force in her field. Axel Munier – up-and-coming force in IP.‘
- Represented Free Mobile in a software-related case before the French courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
CMS advises on the full spectrum of patent issues, including contentious and non-contentious matters. The team acts for clients from a diverse range of sectors, including construction, life sciences, and cosmetics. Counsel Jean-Baptiste Thiénot, who joined the firm from Bird & Bird, headed a team which successfully represented claimant Trilogiq in patent infringement proceedings launched against its main competitor before the Paris Court of First Instance, in a deal worth €5m in damages claimed. Another key name to note is Anne-Laure Villedieu.
- Successfully represented claimant Trilogiq in patent infringement proceedings launched against its main competitor before the Paris Court of First Instance.