Entrusted with ‘major, high-profile matters’, Allen & Overy LLP is a go-to firm for healthcare and life sciences companies advising on patents, regulation, litigation, investigations, M&A, employment, and public law. The firm successfully represented the Chinese company Beijing Genomics Institute in a dispute against Illumina Cambridge to secure BGI’s access to the French market; BGI eventually obtained access to the market after the firm successfully argued the dismissal of the incumbent’s infringement claims before the Judge of the Paris First Instance Court. The practice is led by Laëtitia Bénard and assisted by counsel Charles Truffeau. IP litigator David Por is another key contact.
Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences in France
Allen & Overy LLP
‘I trust this firm with major, high-profile matters.’
‘Laetitia Bénard and David Por both work tirelessly.’
‘Laetitia has raised novel factual and legal arguments that had not been made elsewhere, and her arguments have been used by the attorneys in the other countries where related cases were pending.’
‘Laetitia and David have excellent knowledge, not only of French law, but also have good knowledge of law in other jurisdictions. Thus, they provide value not only for the cases in France, but also for related cases outside of France.’
‘Laetitia and David are my ‘go-to’ patent lawyers in France.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
SEITA (Imperial Tobacco)
- Successfully represented Bayer Intellectual Property GmbH in its pan-European DNI claim brought by Ceva, thereby obtaining one of the first precedents in Europe on the jurisdiction of a court when a validity claim is added to the main proceedings.
- Representing Merck Sharpe & Dohme in multiple patent actions before the Paris First Instance Court, the Paris Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court concerning the validity and enforcement of supplementary protection certificates against major generic companies.
- Advising Chinese genetic sequencing company Beijing Genomics Institute on a dispute against Illumina Cambridge.
Independent French firm ADVANT Altana is the ‘best in many fields’ and is a particular heavyweight in product liability class actions. Co-head Armand Aviges notably handled the first two pharmaceutical class actions in France. The firm also has a strong regulatory capacity, advising LEEM and CSRP in relation to their regulatory concerns. On the corporate side, Jean-Nicolas Soret focuses on the biotech and medtech industry, advising on cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Formerly at Squire Patton Boggs, the firm welcomed Philippe de Saint-Bauzel and Stéphanie Nègre to the team in 2021.
‘Best in many fields, leaders in products liability. They think outside the box, deploying new talents to support the defense.’
‘ALTANA’s team is extraordinarily knowledgeable on product liability issues, in particular in the field of pharma products.’
‘Armand Aviges and Delphine Lapillone have shown to have deep knowledge of pharma regulation and product liability issues.’
CSRP (Chambre Syndicale de la Répartition Pharmaceutique)
CEA (Commissariat à l’Energie atomique et aux énergies alternatives)
COWEN HEALTHCARE INVESTMENTS
EURAPHARMA (CFAO Group)
Complementing its M&A capabilities, Dechert LLP is renowned for its antitrust work in the life sciences sector. Market leaders such as Roche, MSD, AbbVie and GlaxoSmithKline turn to Mélanie Thill-Tayara for advice on competition law. Co-leader of the practice Alain Decombe has 30 years of experience in international commercial transactions and corporate reorganisations. Sophie Pelé is an expert in pharmaceutical regulations, with clients describing her as ‘humble, accessible and endowed with a critical mind’. Anne-Charlotte Rivière and François Hellot left the practice in 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very competent in the field of health products and more particularly in the regulatory specificities related to product registration, market access, medico-economic evaluation, reimbursement, setting of the price by CEPS. Rather rare on the market, the team operates both in pharma and in the field of medical devices.’
‘Sophie Pelé differentiates herself from her colleagues by a pragmatic approach, an ability to provide cutting-edge legal support, whether in advice or in litigation before the Council of State. Sophie is comfortable working with international departments and coordinating work with different European firms.’
‘I was mainly in contact with Sophie Pelé who was able to help us in understanding the legal and regulatory elements. This double expertise has been of great value to us. The quality of listening to Sophie Pelé is also very appreciable, as well as her availability.’
‘High-quality multidisciplinary team with rare responsiveness. Their availability is constant despite the size of the firm, which is particularly rare.’
‘Exceptional knowledge of our industry.’
‘Sophie Pelé’s team is remarkable: responsive, anticipating of new regulations.’
‘Sophie Pelé is humble, accessible, endowed with a critical mind and a force for proposals.’
Virbac Santé Animale
- Represented Roche in a case before the French Competition Authority relating to alleged abuse of collective dominance with Novartis concerning the off label use of Roche’s drug Avastin in the ophthalmic field.
- Advised Benta Pharma in connection with its takeover of Famar Lyon following its bankruptcy.
- Assisted Virbac Santé Animale, a French pharmaceutical group dedicated to animal health, with the purchase of assets from Elanco Animal Health Inc following the approbation, subject to remedies, of the Elanco/Bayer Animal Health deal by the European Commission.
Particularly strong in transactional work, Dentons frequently advises blue-chip clients and investment funds active in the life sciences sector. Acting as counsel for Pfizer on its joint venture with Mylan to create Viatris, the firm is involved in the structuring of one of the largest players in the global generic market with projected sales of $19bn. As an expert in M&A transactions and long-term counsel of Pfizer, co-head Jean-Marc Grosperrin led the landmark Pfizer deal. Pascale Poupelin focuses on regulatory aspects and market access issues.
‘Jean-Marc Grosperrin and Romain Picard: listening, availability and irreproachable quality of the work delivered.’
KYOWA KIRIN PHARMA
TBR DENTAL GROUP
- Advising Groupe Lactalis on its $3.2bn acquisition by its US affiliate of certain Kraft Heinz’s dairy products businesses in the US, Canada and other countries.
- Acting as counsel for MicroPort and Chinese investment fund Zhejiang Silk Road and CS Group on their investment in French medtech Robocath.
- Assisting Laboratoires Théa and its corporate venture, Théa Open Innovation, with their licencing agreement with Nevakar, a US biotechnology company, for the commercialization of NVK-002 (atropine for the treatment of the progression of myopia in children) in Europe.
HOYNG ROKH MONÉGIER
‘One of the teams with the strongest experience in patent litigation in Europe’, HOYNG ROKH MONÉGIER is instructed by an impressive range of pharmaceutical companies. Competent working across jurisdictions, the firm is representing Ceva Santé Animale in large-scale cross-border patent litigation relating to Bayer’s patent on its iron/toltrazuril combination product for piglets. Sabine Agé and Benoît Strowel are well known in the field. Anne Servoir‘s expertise encompasses regulatory work for human and animal health, medical devices, and food supplements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Anne Servoir is incredibly knowledgeable in the regulatory space, and provides clear and practical advice for clients. The team is very easy to work with.’
‘Sabine Agé has assembled a very high-quality female team in the area of contracts/patent strategy consulting.’
‘Sabine Agé is a lawyer of rare excellence in the field of patents in France. Amandine Métier, and more recently, Caroline Levesque are rising stars.’
‘Ability to adjust to local internal teams and mastery of subjects relevant to the activity of a laboratory operating in France (Anne Servoir).’
‘Their responsiveness, flexibility and expertise is really excellent, and their ability to advise so clearly and competently in English sets them apart from other firms.’
‘Probably one of the teams with the strongest experience in patent litigation as well as in coordinating multi-jurisdictional litigation in Europe. They are the French experts to consider for defending supplementary protection certificates and have a good understanding of the life sciences sector.’
‘We have worked with Marta Mendes, Amandine Métier, Sabine Agé and Benoît Strowel. They have tons of experience in patent litigation and have had a strong influence in shaping the relevant case law in France and even more the case law relating to pharmaceuticals. They are also very friendly and open and it is always fun to be working with them.’
‘Anne Servoir from HRM’s Paris Office has vast knowledge of pharma regulatory law, especially in the area of pricing & reimbursement. Her advice has been extremely valuable to us.’
Ceva Santé Animale
The ‘undeniably competent‘ team at McDermott Will & Emery AARPI stands out for its M&A and licencing work, advising key pharmaceutical manufacturers on strategic matters. At the forefront of science, the team handled the acquisition of SK Holdings on behalf of Yposkesi, the first French pharmaceutical manufacturer dedicated to the production of gene and cell therapy drugs for rare diseases. The team is led by Emmanuelle Trombe and Anthony Paronneau, who are known for their ‘great legal skills as well as for an incomparable knowledge of the life sciences sector.’
‘An undeniable competence, a commitment beyond expectations, a permanent availability.’
‘This firm combines (i) high quality of legal advice, (ii) humility and (iii) sympathy in daily exchanges.’
‘The team offers a complete service offer for emerging biotechnology companies: assistance with fundraising, signing of partnerships, setting up of stock options… always with a responsive approach and accurately adapted to the needs of the client.’
‘A strong capacity to listen to the client, but also to the opposing party, allows us to bring a new perspective on the negotiations in progress and to improve our position. Anthony Paronneau’s competence and availability make him an ideal partner: the quality of his analyses and his level of commitment are exceptional.’
‘Multi-disciplinary and very international team. Capable of adapting to small life sciences clients, but also to large clients given their activity with these two types of players.’
‘Emmanuelle Trombe, Anthony Paronneau and their teams combine human qualities and great legal skills, as well as an incomparable knowledge of the life sciences sector.’
‘Very good personal and human connection. Friendly and attentive team.’
‘Emmanuelle Trombe is an excellent lawyer, with good business acumen, and always available.’
Advent France Biotechnology
- Advised Yposkesi, the first French pharmaceutical manufacturer dedicated to the production of gene and cell therapy drugs for rare diseases, on its acquisition by SK Holding, a South-Korean investment conglomerate.
- Acted as counsel for Gamut Therapeutics, a biotechnology company developing a unique gene-independent approach to treat advanced stages of rod and cone dystrophies, in relation to its merger with SparingVision.
- Assisted therapeutic AI pioneers Diabeloop SA, a new client of the firm, with two transactions: a joint development agreement with Terumo Medical Corporation; and a partnership with Roche Diabetes Care.
Simmons & Simmons
With a specific focus on pharmaceutical product liability, Simmons & Simmons is often the firm of choice for leading pharmaceutical companies, for example acting for Merck in a dispute lodged by tens of thousands of claimants in relation to the use of the drug Levothyrox. Alexandre Regniault is head of the international healthcare and life sciences sector group and stands out for his expertise in clinical trial agreements. Jacques-Antoine Robert takes the lead on pharmaceutical product liability disputes, including large-scale class actions. Ombeline Ancelin is the name to note for competition, distribution and consumer law.
‘Jacques-Antoine Robert has remarkable expertise in product liability law (in the area of healthcare). His experience and availability for his clients make him an essential expert for the healthcare industries.’
‘Pragmatic team with know-how and a very developed network which is necessary for a balanced interpretation of risks.’
‘Alexandre Regniault adapts to his client and has very specific expertise in his field, good associates.’
‘Excellent knowledge of the drug market; excellent practice of drug liability. Reliable, constant, very responsive team.’
‘Interdisciplinary team perfectly coordinated to meet client expectations in all branches of law in the health industries sector: administrative, competition, regulatory, commercial, etc.’
‘Ombline Ancelin leads a multidisciplinary team in the life sciences and health industries sector which provides a single point of access for all legal issues that may arise. Competition, distribution, regulatory and administrative at both national and European level. Stand-out practitioners in the team of excellent professionals are Ombline Ancellin for France and EU competition aspects, Anne-Catherine Perroy for regulatory aspects and Julien Moiroux for administrative law.’
Merck Serono – Merck Santé
- Assisting UPSA with challenging decisions of the French health authorities and drug pricing committee in connection with the market authorisation delivered to a competing product manufactured by a generic company.
- Representing Merck in a dispute lodged before civil and criminal courts in the context of a major French crisis involving the client’s drug Levothyrox.
- Advised Carmat on organising and implementing the commercialisation of its artificial heart product in several European jurisdictions, from a contractual, regulatory and compliance perspective.
Focusing on life sciences regulatory matters, Viguié Schmidt & Associés is the counsel of choice for many key players in the pharmaceutical market. The firm is renowned for finding ‘pragmatic‘ and ‘innovative‘ solutions to contentious matters, an area of expertise of practice head Etienne Gouesse who also assists with regulatory matters. Iñaki Saint-Esteben is an expert in antitrust law. The team works alongside the corporate team on transactional matters relating to life sciences companies.
‘The Vigiué Schmidt team in the health sector is distinguished by its search for pragmatic and innovative solutions, particularly in the context of disputes for which they are responsible.’
‘Etienne Gouesse is the leader of the contentious practice and is distinguished by an ability to identify pragmatic and consensual solutions.’
‘A serious and straightforward team with a special mention for Etienne Gouesse, a talented lawyer.’
Johnson & Johnson
- Advising Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France on a private damage claim filed by Carrefour against the company following a decision rendered by the FCA with respect to the home and personal care products industry.
- Assisted the shareholders of Laborizon (including Bpifrance) on (i) the sale of a majority stake to Biogroup which has now become the leader in the French medical biology sector and (ii) their reinvestment in Biogroup.
- Acted as counsel for InnovaHealth Partners on its acquisition of a controlling interest in Koelis.
The team at August Debouzy stands out for handling ‘uncommon or complicated patent issues‘. The team frequently represents generic and biosimilar companies as well as an increasing number of originator pharmaceutical companies. In an infringement dispute launched by Sanofi regarding a patent covering the use of specific drug treatment for metastatic prostate cancer, the team reached a favourable outcome for its client Teva. The team is led by Grégoire Desrousseaux and François Pochart who both have dual legal and engineering qualifications.
‘The August Debouzy team is very good for technical and legal expertise in complex patent matters. The strategic insight, experience, and energy the team brings to the matters it handles truly sets it apart from its peers and make it our top pick for outside counsel in France. Highly recommended.’
‘Grégoire Desrousseaux stands out for his expertise, strategic insight, energy, and resolve. He’s a trusted advisor and leader among the outside attorneys collaborating across jurisdictions.’
‘A flexible team that works together, but still one go-to member who keeps the client informed; possibility to take over a matter at very short notice. Communication adapted to the different stakeholders within the client group.’
‘Grégoire Desrousseaux orchestrates a great team and is always on top of the matter with a huge knowledge of the current status of legal practice in the different fora. Not the length of the brief matters for him, but the substance.’
‘A responsive and pragmatic team that allows you to work with full confidence.’
‘François Pochart always has valuable and practical advice to give.’
‘Knowledgeable, finding solutions for uncommon or complicated patent issues.’
‘They are able to analyse the complex matters and size it down towards the key issue, providing a clear strategy.’
Disphar (Nordic Pharma Group)
- Represented Teva in an infringement dispute launched by Sanofi regarding a patent covering the use of cabazitaxel in combination with prednisone in the treatment of metastatic prostate cancer.
- Acting as counsel for LFB in opposition proceedings of a Novo Nordisk patent brought by LFB before the EPO. The patent was ultimately revoked by the Board of Appeal.
- Representing Insulet against Medtrum in an infringement action based on an Insulet EP Patent.
Baker McKenzie often handles big-ticket multi-jurisdictional transactions, namely advising a client on the $2bn acquisition of Agios Pharmaceuticals. Julie Yéni leads the practice on advisory and litigation matters, assisting healthcare companies throughout the lifecycle of their healthcare products, from research and development agreements to commercialisation, more specifically in the areas of clinical trials, market access, and product regulation. The cross-disciplinary practice is adept at drawing on different expertise such as data privacy and corporate law in order to provide the best possible advice for the matter at hand. The team advises organisations in the healthcare industry on all aspects of data protection compliance, from designing policies and internal procedures to all data protection issues and cybersecurity.
Other key lawyers:
Katia Boneva-Desmicht; Marie-Françoise Bréchignac; Alain Sauty de Chalon ; Stéphane Davin; Gilles Jolivet; Nathalie Marchand; Arnaud Cabanes; Magalie Dansac Le Clerc; Léna Sersiron; Edouard De Rancher; Eric Lasry; Caroline Arrighi-Savoie
‘A competent, fast and precise team. It is very reassuring.’
‘Julie Yeni has established experience and skills that allow her to advise us in all situations. Her advice is complete, it is clear, it is precise. Indispensable in our industry.’
‘I particularly appreciate the responsiveness of this firm and its knowledge of the pharma sector and its challenges. The firm tries to adapt to the culture of our company, to understand its challenges and its objectives. The firm is very agile because it adopts the same “language ” as the employees of the company who are sometimes scientists not used to legal terms.’
‘I have worked with Julie Yeni and I particularly appreciate her availability, agility, and responsiveness. Her knowledge of the health/pharma sector is highly appreciated because she quickly understands the issues that a pharmaceutical company must face. In addition, Julie is always in a good mood and very pleasant which is a plus.’
BMS – Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Advised the international pharmaceutical group Les Laboratoires Servier on the acquisition of the oncology activities of Agios Pharmaceuticals, for an amount of up to $2bn.
Bird & Bird‘s full-service life sciences practice regularly acts for pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Emmanuelle Porte is a key individual at the firm for corporate matters and regularly assists biotech and ehealth clients with respect to venture capitals and IPOs. Alexandre Vuchot and Ariane Mole have developed a strong offering of commercial, regulatory, and data protection expertise in relation to digital health and medical device companies. Highly respected patent litigator Yves Bizollon leads the IP team.
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice is unique because of the people, dedication, and attention to detail to ensure regulatory compliance. The team is amazing, always available and answers questions in a professional manner.’
‘Pleasant, accessible, and of a high level of professionalism.’
‘A team capable of anticipating the problems of its client due to its vast experience. Able to find solutions for complex problems. Great availability and an equally great capacity to listen and respond appropriately.’
‘It is the closeness to the client that seems to me the essential quality of the people on this team.’
‘Multidisciplinary practice aware of the specificities of the health sector.’
‘Practical advice, very responsive.’
‘Providing practical advice, remaining aware of the business needs. Responsive and efficient.’
Edwards Life sciences
BPI (Fonds Patient Autonome)
BPI (Fonds SPI)
GrAI Matter Labs
Actavis Group PTC EHF
Asklepios Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Assisted Doctolib in proceedings before the Conseil d’Etat, securing a succesful judgment that brought important developments to the ‘Schrems II’ debate following the CJEU’s decision on compliance requirements for transfers of personal data to the US.
- Advising Fonds SPI on the sale of its stake in Yposkesi, France’s first producer of gene and cellular therapies, to SK Pharmteco.
- Acting as counsel for SparingVision, a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of innovative therapies for the treatment of inherited retinal diseases that cause blindness and in particular for Retinitis Pigmentosa, on its €44.5m Series A2 fundraising subscribed by its historic investors (BPI, Foundation Fighting Blindness) and new investors (Jeito, Ysios, 4BIO and UPMC Enterprise).
Clifford Chance is especially well known for its expertise in product liability, receiving instructions from global pharmaceutical and medical device companies, for example successfully representing Pfizer in two multi-claimant product liability litigations with respect to two of its early-stage vaccines. Counsel Gaëlle Merlier is a go-to name in this area. The firm is also wellregarded for compliance, internal investigation, and defense work for major healthcare clients. Thomas Baudesson is an expert in enforcement proceedings and white-collar litigation in the healthcare sector.
‘Excellent depth of knowledge in their specialist area, giving clear, commercial and client-friendly advice.’
‘Gaëlle Merlier – excellent application of specialist knowledge in tricky situations. She delivers results. Bastien Pavec – smart, articulate, and client-friendly.’
Mérieux Equity Partners
Theratechnologies Europe Limited
Optimed Medizinische Instrumente
- Represented Pfizer successfully in a major collective action in relation to its former vaccine Meningitec.
- Acting as counsel for Teva in the context of the European Commission’s investigation into the alleged abuse of its dominant position in the field of multiple sclerosis in the EEA.
- Advised Archimed on the creation of its new build-up platform fund focused on European companies involved in the health sector.
Traditionally strong in IT and IP matters, De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés‘s healthcare and life sciences practice handles innovative projects for medtech companies and public bodies. Cécile Théard-Jallu is a ‘top-notch international lawyer‘ for healthcare regulation and innovative technologies. Jean-Marie Job is an expert in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. Due to the firm’s trans-sectorial approach, the team is able to advise on market-leading matters such as the impact of telecommunication and 5G on health, the use of video games in treating neurological diseases and cybersecurity and insurance programs for health data leaks.
‘DGFLA is unique on the French market as having a real project team-based approach, teaming up with clients and partners to deliver. They are able to cover the whole life span of products and services life cycle. Most other firms are organised in seperate departments that do not actually mix with others for one same matter. At DGFLA, the client is at the center and they organise themselves accordingly. The level of trust built with their clients and partners such as our firm is high and longstanding’
‘Very high-quality and technological French business firm, independent and entrepreneurial, close to its clients with a business-oriented spirit.’
‘Cécile Théard-Jallu is a top-notch international lawyer, with a high sense of client care and highly demanding of herself and her team. She shows both a commercial vision and high-level technical skills which enables her to handle complex healthcare & life sciences regulatory matters with a pragmatic approach.’
‘Very great accessibility of our interlocutors, fluid and efficient communications, a quality professional relationship with in particular Cécile Théard-Jallu and Kevin Ishac.’
‘They have terrific knowledge and expertise in the digital space, in addition to the more traditional knowledge in the healthcare sector, and this allows them to provide very high-level advice especially in the digital health sector. They are also very responsive and always available.’
‘We’ve mainly dealt with Cécile Théard-Jallu and Sophie Weill and we’ve always been satisfied. They are very thorough in their analyses, produce good writing and are easy to follow in their reasoning even if the documentation for the analysis is extensive. We’ve always felt confident that they have every aspect covered. Main contact has been with Cécile who is very experienced and hands-on. She’s made herself available within very short notice on a couple of urgent occasions and still been able to assist us with concrete advice of French law and on how to proceed.’
Alliance digitale maladiecoronavirus.fr
DLA Piper advises healthcare players on all legal and tax issues relevant to their business development and supports healthcare establishments and health authorities as well as major global companies in the healthcare, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and medical devices sectors. The firm is involved in some key arbitration and mediation proceedings for leading pharmaceutical companies regarding breaches of commercial agreements; Michael Ostrove handles these matters. IP litigator Frank Valentin and his team joined the firm in 2021, adding a strong patent litigation offering to the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Qualcomm Life – Capsule
West Pharmaceutical Services
- Assisting Medtronic France SAS on the acquisition of Medicrea International.
- Representing a leading pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration proceedings against a US biopharmaceutical company with respect to breaches of a licencing agreement for the development and sale of a medicinal product.
- Advising Health Data Hub on the likelihood of application of US Surveillance laws to the data hosted on Health Data Hub platform by Microsoft Azur.
Best known for its regulatory work, the Fieldfisher life sciences team regularly assists clients with compliance and advice in relation to sanctions from regulatory authorities. Olivier Lantrès is recognised as a ‘remarkable, innovative expert who is always attentive and available to his clients’. IP expert Nathalie Hadjadj-Cazier ‘perfectly masters IP issues applied to the health sector’. The practice also demonstrates strength in M&A.
Other key lawyers:
‘Olivier Lantrès has solid experience and excellent knowledge of the health sector and the issues encountered by his clients. He is surrounded by a competent and very responsive team.’
‘Olivier Lantrès is always there and always finds relevant and business-oriented solutions for his clients. Olivier has an activity established at Fieldfisher for many years which allows him to work transversally with the other teams of the firm.’
‘Olivier Lantrès is very responsive and, with his team, produces quality work at ‘fair’ prices. Sébastien Pradeau is particularly skilled in the DMOS and transparency aspects. Nathalie Hadjadj-Cazier is the partner specializing in IP and perfectly masters IP issues applied to the health sector. Emmanuel Paillard, the partner in public law, is also a solid pillar on which the life sciences teams regularly rely on cases before administrative tribunals.’
‘Olivier Lantrès: preparation before any discussion, knowledge of his client and of the file, pragmatic mind, excellent interpersonal skills and above all an ability to guide us on his expertise, but also that of the firm for other issues.’
‘Excellent expertise (deliverables are exceptional), very available and flexible team. Very client service-oriented. Fluid communication. Very reasonable invoicing.’
‘Olivier Lantrès is a remarkable, innovative expert who is always attentive and available to his clients. His team is professional, expert, and available.’
Apivia Macif Mutuelle
- Defending Recordati Rare Diseases (RRD) and Recordati Orphan Drugs (ROD) in litigation brought by one of its former medicine box suppliers before the Paris Court, with an invalidation action filed before the EUIPO.
- Advising the Spanish pharmaceutical company Cantabria Labs on the acquisition by the Pierre Fabre group the Elancyl.
- Assisting Biosynex with its acquisition of 100% of the shares and dilutive instruments of Avalun, a company specialising in portable connected biology platforms.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I.‘s cross-practice expertise makes it a first-choice firm for emerging life sciences companies and venture funds. With a strong offering in patent litigation, the firm also attracts high-profile patent disputes, such as advising Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH on the French aspects of a multijurisdictional patent infringement case against Mylan regarding a patent covering an injection pen. Co-head of the practice Raphaëlle Dequiré-Portier focuses principally on patent and trademark disputes in the life sciences sector. Dimitri Dimitrov specialises in co-operation agreements and distribution networks in France and overseas, and represents companies in litigation, namely for the abrupt termination of commercial relationships. Jean-Hyacinthe de Mitry is the go-to lawyer for IP in life sciences. Arnaud Duhamel has a clear focus on equity capital markets. On the transactional side, Anne Tolila is the name to note.
‘The Gide team is very familiar with the healthcare and life sciences sector. Our collaboration in these sectors is very good.’
‘Excellent team, present on most ECM healthcare matters in Paris. Strong intimacy with clients, pragmatic and always finds relevant solutions.’
‘Arnaud Duhamel: Very strong experience, client proximity, innovative.’
‘Guilhem Richard: Client proximity, great capacity for work, innovative, pragmatic and finds solutions.’
Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) and ONO Pharmaceuticals (Ono)
Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH.
J&J and Pfizer
- Assisting Ono Pharmaceutical in two complex appeal proceedings before the Paris court regarding the refusal of two supplementary protection certificates by the French patent office.
- Advised Inventiva on its $102m IPO on Nasdaq.
- Acting as counsel for Bpifrance in relation to its investment in Cerba Healthcare.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP life sciences practice stands out for its deep industry knowledge across the full spectrum of expertise, including corporate aspects, regulatory, health data strategy, intellectual property and product liability. Charlotte Damiano represents well-known companies on pricing and reimbursement matters for pharmaceutical products and medical devices, and more generally on market access issues. Mikael Salmela specialises in regulatory advice and structuring in the context of M&A transactions in the life sciences sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Charlotte Damiano: expert in her field. She always responds quickly and knows how to be pragmatic and simple, particularly when exchanges are made with non-lawyers.’
‘Qualities: available, analyses taking into account the specificities of the pharmaceutical industry, deadlines met. Notable lawyers: Mikael Salmena, Joséphine Pour.’
Bristol Myers Squibb/Celegne
Merck & Co., Inc., and its French subsidiary MSD Vaccins
- Advising Celgene on a major health data processing authorisation request in front of the CNIL for an innovative drug treatment under a cohort authorisation for temporary use in France, as well as with the launch and deployment of CAR-T products in France.
- Assisting Merck & Co., Inc., and its French subsidiary MSD Vaccins with the coordination and defense of product liability claims brought by French plaintiffs before the Courts or before Commissions for Conciliation and Indemnification (CCIs) in relation to alleged adverse events of the vaccine Gardasil.
- Representing Eli Lilly on the French aspects of generic attacks on its oncology product Alimta.
Boutique life sciences firm LexCase handles both advisory work and litigation for pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers. The firm is known for its ‘excellent understanding of pharmaceutical regulations’. Having undertaken secondments with key players in the industry, the team has a real insight into the issues faced by their clients. The firm is assisting clients of the Conference Bleue network, comprising mostly US and Asian medical devices manufacturers with EU subsidiaries, with their endeavours to obtain marketing rights in France. Diane Bandon-Tourret handles complex regulatory issues, sanitary police decisions issues and serial product liability matters. Alain De Belenet and Raphaël Apelbaum are experts in public law.
‘Great knowledge and expertise, and willingness to adapt to the concrete issues of the company.’
‘The quality of the legal analysis, the availability of the team, the speed of execution, the pragmatic nature of the analyses, the command of English, the teamwork stand out. Simplicity in the approach. Ability to listen and understand operational issues with business.’
‘It is a real pleasure to work with Diane Bandon-Tourret and Victoire Storksen, whatever the subject. I highly recommend this team.’
‘A very expert, pragmatic and responsive team. Adapts to changing practices with excellent interpersonal skills. A dynamic and very involved team.’
‘Diane Bandon-Tourret: great expertise in health, pharmaceutical and cosmetics law. Very good responsiveness and excellent interpersonal skills. She who knows how to surround herself with complementary skills.’
‘Excellent knowledge of pharmaceutical regulations and regulatory subtleties. Excellent ability to advise by weighing the benefits and risks and being objective. Strength of proposal. Great availability.’
Pierre Fabre Groupe
Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmetique
Pierre Fabre Médicament
- Acted for a pharmaceutical group in prosecution proceedings directed against it, working in close cooperation with a recognised Luxembourg criminal lawyer.
- Providing day-to-day legal and regulatory assistance to Olympus group to implement the integration of FH Ortho.
- Assisting several Clients of the Conference Bleue Network, a multi-jurisdictional network of specialist European law firms in the health sector, with their discussions with the French authority to obtain marketing rights for the French market.
Winston & Strawn LLP covers all key aspects of the healthcare sector in a cross-disciplinary manner, with a particular focus on advisory, litigation and corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions and private equity. The team has been handling several large and complex cross-border transactions, such as the €447m restructuring of Ascendis Health or the €900m tentative acquisition of a medtech group by an SBF 120 client. Department head Gilles Bigot leads the team which includes Julie Vern Cesano-Gouffrant, Jean-Patrice Labautière and Sara Susnjar, who have expertise in acquisitions, dispositions, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures, recapitalisations, restructuring, and debt finance transactions.
‘Super knowledgeable and excellent negotiators.’
La Croix Rouge Française
Ramsay Générale de Santé
Sarah Santé Group
Telemos Capital / MedEuropa
CRF Jeanne d’Arc
MBO & Co.
Core Equity Holdings
Centres de médecine nucléaire
- Advised the medical imaging company Imapole Lyon-Villeurbanne on the restructuring of its capital ownership.
- Represented the MedEuropa group, a Switzerland-based pan-European radiotherapy group, on its acquisition of a minority stake in CWDM.
- Advised la Croix-Rouge Française in connection with the acquisition by Cofinimmo of a stake in a real estate company created by la Croix-Rouge Française.
BCTG Avocats is best known for its knowledge of competition law, commercial contract and distribution law practice, with particular expertise in online platforms. Gaëlle Bloret-Pucci is a strong litigator and has in-depth knowledge of procedures specific to intellectual property. The team is led by Hugues Villey-Desmeserets and François Dauba who both specialise in commercial policy, the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts, and competition and regulatory matters.
Other key lawyers:
STADA (EG Labo)
Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France
- Representing EG Labo in proceedings challenging the legality of the creation of a group of generic drugs comprising a generic and a biological reference drug, which raises the issue of measuring the competitive impact resulting from the administrative assimilation of generic drugs and biosimilar drugs.
- Acting as counsel to Caudalie before the Belgian Competition Authority and before the AdlC and the French courts following a complaint filed by two Belgian online pharmacies for alleged resale price maintenance practices.
- Assisting Sandoz in various disputes relating to the interpretation of commercial agreements between Sandoz and pharmacists on the one hand, and between Sandoz and groups of pharmacists on the other.
Founded in 2019, boutique firm GD Avocats focuses on healthcare products and often assists clients before French and European courts in relation to matters of reimbursement and the free movement of healthcare products. Marine Devulder has developed an expertise in market access for healthcare products and advertising law. Bernard Geneste left the firm in early 2021.
Other key lawyers:
B. BRAUN MEDICAL
IQ MEDICAL BV
- Assisted the manufacturer and distributor of a medical device used in the diagnosis of infertility to obtain reimbursement of this product by the social security system, after refusal by the Ministry.
- Representing SNITEM, the main trade union for medical device companies in France, before the Conseil d’Etat in a legal procedure aimed at obtaining the cancellation of a decree imposing strong constraints on medical device distributors to carry out their activity in France.
- Represented in Philips in a case to obtain the partial annulment of a decree obligating the certification of medical prescription software and dispensing support software.
‘Extremely good in coming up with win-win solutions’, the HBC Avocats team is dedicated to structuring transactions and negotiating and drafting commercial and transactional agreements in the life sciences. Clients are particularly impressed with the team’s expertise in licencing agreements, notably drafting and negotiating OSE Immunotherapeutics’ global agreement with Veloxis Pharmaceuticals. Jonathan Burnham‘s dual US-French qualification makes him the ideal counsel for pharmaceutical and healthcare companies with established activities in the US and France.
‘HBC is probably the best French law firm in the field of complex health contracts: R&D collaboration, licencing, manufacturing, etc … The HBC team has been able to respond to all of our requests in this area.’
‘Jonathan Burnham and Fabrice Herbin are two expert lawyers in the health field with long experience, exceptional rigour, and great creativity for the development, negotiation, and completion of complex deals. Very ‘human’ in their approach to the negotiation: the negotiations they carried out for us have always resulted in success and a better understanding of the respective expectations of the partners in the deal. They know how to clarify complex concepts to make them accessible to the respective managers of their clients and partner. I was personally impressed by the writing skills of these two lawyers.’
‘HBC knows the healthcare licensing business in and out. They draw from their experience in Europe and the US with an excellent understanding of what university/biotech & pharma standards are. Their input and advice allowed us to evaluate multiple options in our licensing negotiations and find creative ways to get to a yes for critical points.’
‘Jonathan Burnham acts as a true business partner. He makes sure he understands our business and our strategic imperatives to both provide options to specific points we identified but also proactively raises relevant matters that we would have overlooked otherwise.’
‘The HBC team are a number of highly professional and deeply engaged experts. They literally become part of your own team and advise you for business interest and not for their own profit. Being a small team one always has all the historical knowledge as there are no junior associates to be informed or trained. It is a case of small is beautiful.’
‘The two key partners to mention are Jonathan Burnham and Erwan Cossé. It is their deep understanding of our business in general, our company in particular, but also a good understanding of the way we work that makes working with JB and EC so unique.’
‘Jonathan Burnham was extremely good at coming up with win-win solutions.’
‘The uniqueness of this team comes from its knowledge of the field of health and life sciences and of the associated ecosystem as well as its ability to understand and integrate new issues very quickly.’
- Acted as counsel for OSE Immunotherapeutics, a French biotechnology company focused on developing therapies in the immuno-oncology and autoimmune disease fields, on drafting and negotiating a global licence agreement with Veloxis Pharmaceuticals, a US subsidiary of Asahi Kasei.
- Advised Onward Therapeutics, a Swiss and French development stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing breakthrough therapies for the treatment of cancer, on drafting and negotiating an exclusive licence and co-development agreement with Biomunex Pharmaceuticals.
- Assisted Eligo Bioscience, a French biotechnology company specialised in developing therapies to address microbiome-associated diseases, with drafting and negotiating a research and option agreement with GlaxoSmithKline aimed at advancing Eligo’s technology to develop a therapy to treat acne vulgaris.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is known for its expertise in patent litigation as well as transactional work related to healthcare and life sciences companies. In a notable matter, the firm advised SK Holdings, a large South Korean conglomerate on its acquisition of the pharmaceutical company Yposkesi, the French leading company in gene therapy. Frédéric Chevallier predominantly handles patent litigation and strategy for clients, including blue-chip multinationals such as Sanofi. Alan Montgomery, based in London and Shaun McVicar, based in Melbourne are the co-heads of the firm’s global pharmaceuticals group and are often also instructed on cross-border matters involving the French jurisdiction.
- Advising Panasonic Healthcare across Europe in connection with the acquisition of the Bayer Diabetes Care business and the integration of the business into the Ascensia business within the Panasonic Group.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of their patent enforcement strategy Sanofi in relation to one of its fastest-growing products, Jevtana, for the treatment of prostate cancer.
- Acting as counsel to Sanofi in patent revocation proceedings in relation to Aubagio, a treatment for multiple sclerosis.
Jones Day is routinely instructed by premier pharmaceutical and life sciences companies in matters concerning regulatory advice, intellectual property, and dispute resolution. The M&A, private equity, and capital markets practices are also heavily involved in advising start-ups and multibillion-dollar global corporations in the life sciences sector. Renaud Bonnet co-chairs the global private equity practice. Co-heading the government regulation practice, Françoise Labrousse oversees the regulatory work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgable and quick, efficient advice.’
‘Armelle Sandrin-Deforge gives us great service on France’s healthcare laws. Business-like and timely.’
‘Thomas Bouvet has developed a good practice in the field of arbitration and strategy consulting for companies in the health/life sciences sector.’
‘Very good presence on the IPO market, particularly in the life sciences sector.’
‘Renaud Bonnet is a key lawyer for the Paris market on IPO and biotech/medtech issues.’
Leading the life sciences practice at Latham & Watkins, Eveline Van Keymeulen advises the European Pharmaceutical Industry Association (EFPIA) on a range of strategic and cutting-edge regulatory topics impacting the entire European pharmaceutical industry. The team also advises clients operating in the life sciences sector on a broad variety of business-critical regulatory and compliance issues. At the forefront of innovation, the firm counts leading genomics and cannabidiol companies to its client list.
‘Extremely responsive, pragmatic, and understand how legal advice needs to support business needs.‘
‘Eveline Van Keymeulen is very approachable, pragmatic and willing to think with us to find the best possible solution.‘
‘Eveline Van Keymeulen is extremely knowledgeable and dedicated. She delivers good and practical advice like no one else does in France in her area of specialism.‘
‘Eveline Van Keymeulen has strong legal and sector knowledge.‘
‘Eveline Van Keymeulen is a rockstar. She is smart, extremely capable, practical and also great fun to work with. She and her team are wonderful to work with. They are practical and knowledgeable, and understand the sensitivities in the life sciences sector.’
Calliditas Therapeutics AB
Dr. Max Group
EFPIA (European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations)
Heel (Biologische Heilmittel Heel)
Inula Natural Health
Laboratoire Bio 7
Vivalto Santé group
Private investors in the Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry
- Advised Veracyte, a US-based genomic diagnostics company, on its acquisition of HalioDx SAS, a French based immuno-oncology diagnostic company.
- Advised PSP Investments and EQT on their €4.5bn investment in Cerba HealthCare.
- Advised the founder of Kanavape in the European landmark case related to the marketing of cannabidiol (CBD) before the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU).
The ‘smart, pragmatic, and innovative team’ at Mercure Avocats is mostly recognised for its assistance with corporate and regulatory matters. The team handles M&A transactions and fundraising, project structuring, specifically the structuring of healthcare networks, complex contracts such as licence agreements, as well as complex regulatory analysis, compliance issues, and data protection matters. Research and development agreements in the life sciences sector are another area of strength.
‘Small and dedicated team with a high level of expertise and availability.’
‘A smart, pragmatic and innovative team.’
‘Agathe Simon and François-Maxime Philizot are both outstanding professionals, I am confident they always provide outstanding legal advice to help us achieve our projects in a secure manner.’
Correvio (now Advanz Pharma)
- Assisted Sanofi Pasteur with the negotiation of its EU R&D and distribution agreements relating to vaccines and in the review of specific issues relating to competition and pharmaceutical aspects.
- Advising a leading pharma company in the context of a co-development project with a medtech company regarding an innovative medical device for the healing of wounds.
- Assisted Stephenson Harwood on the life sciences aspects of GE Healthcare’s acquisition of Zionexa.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP life sciences practice has a particular focus on disruptive businesses, supporting clients across three distinct groups: generics and biosimilars, biotech and biologics, and medtech and digital health. ‘An undeniable asset‘ to the team, Jules Fabre joined in 2019, contributing his in-house legal experience from a key pharmaceutical company in the industry, Teva Pharmaceuticals.
‘Jules Fabre and Emmanuel Gougé are good at explaining the intricacies of French litigation procedure without losing sight of the business assets involved in the dispute. They have a clear focus on the business strategy of the client’
‘Excellent team of experts.’
‘It is a most trustworthy and ambitious team, which we are happy to trust with complex matters. Jules Fabre and Emmanuel Gougé stand out for their intelligence and dedication.’
‘I have worked extensively with Jules Fabre. He is an excellent lawyer with great tactical skills in life sciences disputes’
‘A team that deserves to be known in the field of patent litigation. Emmanuel Gougé is a great professional in the field of IP, and in particular in pharmaceutical patents. The addition of Jules Fabre to this team is an undeniable asset.’
‘Excellent knowledge, very good and clear legal advice, in a timely manner. A pleasure to work with them. Jules Fabre is a great attorney, easily accessible and always a pleasure to work with him.’
- Representing Accord in a high-profile patent litigation against Sanofi in relation to its generic version of Sanofi’s blockbuster prostate cancer treatment Jevtana.
- Advising IVC, the leader of veterinary care in Europe with 1372 clinics across 11 countries, on the structuring of the development of their activity in the French territory.
Reed Smith advises healthcare, life science and medtech companies on acquisitions, divestitures, licensing, joint ventures, strategic alliances, collaborations, co-promotion and other operational transactions.
Taylor Wessing‘s life science practice focuses on regulatory advice for pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Practice head Evelyne Friedel is also an expert in competition and commercial law. The group is also very active in dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
AMRI – ALBANY MOLECULAR RESEARCH INC CRYSTAL PHARMA
AWS (AMAZON WEB SERVICES) HEALTHCARE
CUTERA INC CUTERA FRANCE
DIANA – SYMRISE
W.L. GORE & ASSOCIATES
- Acting as counsel for Gore & Associates with regard to the implementation of their compliance policy regarding their relations with hospitals and healthcare professionals in light of French transparency rules and anti-gift rules.
- Advising Fresensius Kabi on drafting and revising clinical trial agreements with several French hospitals with regard to the requirements of the regulation imposing the single agreement model in case of clinical trials for commercial purposes.
- Assisting Laboratories Thea with the drafting of an EU representative agreement with their UK supplier following Brexit, in accordance with the relevant regulatory provisions.
Delsol Avocats is best known for its expertise in health data and the privacy issues pertaining to data within the health sector and the medical-social sector. Jeanne Bossi Malafosse has experience working in both the French Data Protection Authority and the French National Agency of Shared Health Information Systems. Thomas Roche left the firm in 2021.
- Advised AstraZeneca, Docaposte and Impact Healthcare on the implementation of the ‘Agoria Santé’ consortium.
- Assisted CNOP with complying with data protection regulations, acting as the client’s data privacy officer.
- Monitoring the clinical research and health data of the French Clinical Research Infrastructure Network.
Lerins & BCW has been particularly active in advising healthcare companies on their strategic acquisitions, namely assisting the Vivalto Santé Group with its acquisition of seven private healthcare facilities across France. The team has been reinforced by the arrival of Marguerite Brac de la Perriere from Alain Bensoussan-Avocats Lexing and brings her expertise in digital health to the table.