Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences in France
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP has built an impressive client base, comprised of many leading international pharmaceutical corporations, biotechnology companies and of the French Pharmaceutical Industry Association and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA). The firm has state of the art pharmaceutical patent expertise, allowing it to handle the market's most high-profile patent disputes for leading players. In a recent win, the practice successfully prevailed for client Novartis in a first instance landmark patent case, obtaining a judgment which prohibited Teva from distributing certain of its generic drug products. In addition, the practice has excellent regulatory know-how, advising leading pharmaceutical companies and new market entrants, such as leading internet platforms. The group also advises several medical cannabis manufacturing companies on challenging French and EU regulatory issues linked to the development of the nascent cannabis and hemp-derived substances industry. Laëtitia Bénard, who co-heads the firm's life sciences group worldwide, is second to none in patent litigation. Also highly recommended is counsel Eveline Van Keymeulen, who heads the firm's European life sciences regulatory team. IP counsel Charles Tuffreau provides key support. The firm is also very active in healthcare-related M&A transactions, notably through Marc Castagnède, Romy Richter and Jean-Claude Rivalland.
Other key lawyers:
‘They understand their clients’ issues and dived very deeply to address them.’
‘The firm has great knowledge about the cannabis industry, including direct contact with the relevant authorities.’
‘Laëtitia Bénard works tirelessly. She has knowledge of pharmaceutical law, and also of biotech and computer law.’
‘Counsel Eveline Van Keymeulen is very hard-working and dedicated. She is reactive and willing to go the extra mile to help her clients.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
SEITA (Imperial Tobacco)
The Green Organic Dutchman
- Obtained a major victory for Novartis before the Paris First Instance Court in patent nullity and infringement proceedings against Teva concerning a fixed dose combination patent for the treatment of hypertension.
- Represented MSD in multiple French patent court proceedings against major generic companies concerning the validity and enforcement of its supplementary protection certificates over the combination of ezetimibe and simvastatin drugs.
- Advised Canadian cannabis research and development company Green Organic Dutchman on its $15.5m acquisition of HemPoland.
Healthcare is one of Altana's core industry sectors. The firm particularly stands out for its strong litigation expertise, notably handling two of the three currently ongoing judicial healthcare product liability class actions in France, and is able to act before various courts, including civil, administrative and criminal courts, and specialised healthcare regulators. The group also coordinates European cases. Other healthcare-related areas of expertise include regulatory and IP, especially patent law, where the firm offers high-level proficiency assisting leading pharmaceutical and cosmetics manufacturing companies. Recent work includes high-stake patent cases regarding drug molecule and cosmetic products. Finally, the team also has a busy corporate practice advising on clinics and biotech M&A transactions. Armand Aviges, Jean-Nicolas Soret and Frank Valentin are in charge.
Bastide LE CONFORT Medical
Biofides – Arc Pharma
EURAPHARMA (CFAO GROUP)
GE HEALTH CARE
- Assisted SAFE ORTHEPAEDICS with the negotiation of a strategic alliance with Japanese OTSUKA’s subsidiary KiSCO, and the acquisition of QSPINE in the UK.
- Advised DOCTEGESTIO on the acquisition of three private healthcare establishments from ELSAN.
- Advised the shareholders of BIOFIDES and ARC Pharma on the sale of the companies to PHARMALEX.
Dechert LLP advises an extensive client base consisting of several of the world's leading pharmaceutical laboratories, as well as emerging biotech and medtech companies, a major medical device manufacturer and several private equity investors. The firm has particularly strong expertise in M&A and private equity transactions as well as in the negotiation of drug licensing agreements through Alain Decombe, François Hellot, Isabelle Marguet and Anne-Charlotte Rivière, who made partner in 2018. The practice can also rely on the extensive experience of competition partner Mélanie Thill-Tayara and regulatory expert Sophie Pelé, who both advise major industry players on strategic commercial, marketing and pricing issues. Finally, Marie Fillon provides IP and patent advice, while Jacques Sivignon handles litigation.
‘The team is terrific: it is very professional and demonstrates a full understanding of clients’ needs. They get their work done efficiently and with enthusiasm.’
‘François Hellot is very knowledgeable, really responsive and it is always a pleasure to work with him.’
Astorg / Laboratoire HRA Pharma
Bnp Paribas Developpement
- Advised Lysogene on the signing of an exclusive license agreement with Sarepta Therapeutics.
- Represented Roche before the French Competition Authority in relation to the off-label use of its drug Avastin in the ophthalmic field.
- Advised DNA Script on a $38.5m Series B Fundraising and on patent-related agreements with INSTITUT PASTEUR and CNRS.
Dentons is the go-to-firm for M&A and private equity transactions in the healthcare sector. The firm assists leading industry players with the negotiation of venture investments and partnership agreements, but is also experienced in large-scale corporate transactions, such as Lactalis' acquisition of the infant nutrition business of South African pharmaceutical company Aspen Pharmacare. Corporate partners Jean-Marc Grosperrin, who also co-heads the firm's global and European practice, Anne-Laure Marcerou and Olivia Guéguen are the key contacts. The firm also offers strong complementary healthcare regulatory expertise and notably assists leading industry players with their dealings with French healthcare authorities. Senior counsel Pascale Poupelin is highly recommended and has extensive experience, especially in drug market access matters. She is also singled out for her rare ability to combine public and private law know-how. Julien Le Guyader is also recommended.
‘The team follows a very practical approach and demonstrates great listening skills.’
‘A very helpful team that brings strong support to complex situations.’
‘Senior counsel Pascale Poupelin has exceptional market access expertise and is unique in her ability to combine public and private law expertise in relation to pharmaceutical products. Her drafting skills are also exceptional.’
‘Anne-Laure Marcerou is highly accessible.’
BAUSCH + LOMB
BIOTRONIK France SAS
BOSTON SCIENTIFIC SAS
BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB (BMS)
CORREVIO INTERNATIONAL SARL
GOJO INDUSTRIES INC
HORUS PHARMA SAS
JOHNSON & JOHNSON
KYOWA KIRIN PHARMA
LABORATOIRES THEA SAS
MEDIDEV SENTECH FRANCE
ROCHE SAS/ROCHE DIAGNOSTICS FRANCE
TBR DENTAL GROUP
THERMO FISHER/LIFE TECHNOLOGIES
ZENTIVA / SANOFI ZENTIVA
- Advised Lactalis on the acquisition of Aspen Pharmacare’s infant nutrition business.
- Advised French investment group Verdoso on the acquisition of perfusion business Carelide from Macopharma.
- Advised Pfizer on the acquisition of a partial stake in gene therapy company Vivet Therapeutics.
HOYNG ROKH MONÉGIER
Leading European IP boutique firm HOYNG ROKH MONÉGIER houses one of France's top life sciences patent practices. The team acts for many leading industry players, including high-profile French, European and international pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. It is managing a high volume of high-stake patent disputes, often with a multi-jurisdictional dimension and involving blockbuster products and new biological therapeutic agents. The practice includes the highly experienced Denis Monégier du Sorbier, Benoit Strowel, Sabine Agé, Amandine Métier and Florence Jacquand. In addition, the firm is able to provide leading regulatory expertise through Anne Servoir, who advises many of the world's top industry players in dealing with strategic advertising, market access, pricing and drug reimbursement issues, and assists them with the management of their relationships with the regulatory authorities.
‘Very experienced patent litigators who offer timely and client-focused advice, with excellent language skills.’
‘Sabine Agé is an excellent and extremely successful advocate. She is very hard-working, responsive and pragmatic, and provides keen strategic insight.’
‘Benoît Strowel has many years of experience advising life sciences industry clients on their cross-border strategy.’
‘Amandine Métier is a pleasure to work with. She is hard-working and highly experienced.’
Ceva Santé Animale
Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
- Represented US pharmaceutical company Gilead in supplementary protection certificate revocation proceedings regarding anti-HIV products launched by various generic companies.
- Acted for Sanofi and Regeneron in a patent dispute with Amgen regarding its drug Praluent.
- Acted for AstraZeneca in proceedings with various generic companies concerning patents covering Faslodex (fulvestrant).
McDermott Will & Emery AARPI is an excellent choice for strategic M&A, venture and partnerships transactions in the healthcare sector. The firm advises a large client base, made up of established pharmaceutical groups, biotech companies and investors, and manages a high volume of transactions. Practice head Emmanuelle Trombe and Anthony Paronneau are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Vivet Therapeutics and its shareholders on the sale to Pfizer of an equity interest in Vivet Therapeutics and on the negotiation of an exclusive option to acquire all outstanding shares.
- Advised biotechnology company H-Immune’s shareholders on the sale of their shares to HiFiBio Therapeutics.
- Advised Poxel on the signing of a strategic agreement with DeuteRx for the acquisition of innovative drug DRX-065.
- Advised French oncology company Innate Pharma on a multi-term agreement with AstraZeneca and MedImmune.
Simmons & Simmons is second to none in product liability law. The practice has an impressive track record of defending leading industry players facing high-stake drug and medical device liability proceedings, with recent work including the headline Levothyrox and Mediator cases. Co-head of practice Jacques-Antoine Robert is a star in this field. International head Alexandre Regniault, who also co-heads the Paris practice, advises on regulatory matters. Other key members include Ombline Ancelin, who assists leading healthcare companies with strategic antitrust and distribution issues, corporate partner Simonetta Giordano, and Sarah Bailey, who provides IP and data advice. Charlotte Damiano joined Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP in 2019.
‘An excellent team in the field of pharmaceutical product liability which contributes to the making of the French jurisprudence in that area. Among the best legal practices in France.’
‘A committed team with high-level technical legal expertise. It provides outstanding support and strategic advice.’
‘The firm has high expertise in the field. The team is very creative in finding innovative solutions and has a very good understanding of its clients.’
‘Ombline Ancelin provides very quick and legally sound feedback, and is very experienced in pharmaceutical industry marketing and distribution matters.’
- Advised European platform Alpha Healthgroup on the acquisition of Swiss company Diepharmex Laboratories.
- Advised Laboratoire Cooper on its acquisition of pharmaceutical products Dacryum and Dacryoserum.
- Defending Merck in mass claims involving almost 20,000 patients who reported side effects allegedly caused by the client’s blockbuster drug Levothyrox.
At Viguié Schmidt & Associés, Etienne Gouesse is entirely dedicated to handling healthcare sector regulatory and litigation issues. Leading pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers turn to him for assistance with high-profile issues, including pricing, marketing, product liability and litigation matters. In recent work, the practice defended clients in product liability proceedings regarding landmark vaccines and drug products. The team also provides regulatory advice in connection with M&A transactions and handles public sector healthcare procurement disputes. Iñaki Saint-Esteben brings his competition law expertise to the table.
JOHNSON & JOHNSON
- Advised LFB on the sale of CellforCure to Novartis.
August Debouzy is recommended for its strong pharmaceutical and medical device patent expertise. The practice represents generic and biosimilar companies highly strategic disputes before French courts, the French patent office, the European Patent Office and EU courts. In a recent highlight case, the team notably acted for Teva in a high-stake litigation against MSA regarding a supplementary protection certificate for a cholesterol-lowering agent. The highly experienced François Pochart and Grégoire Desrousseaux as well as counsel Mathilde Rauline are the key contacts. In addition, Alexandra Cohen-Jonathan assists insurers of medical device manufacturers facing product liability proceedings. Data and IT issues are also dealt with.
‘The patent team is very versatile and has extensive technical skills and knowledge. It also shows a very high availability and provides extremely reassuring support.’
‘They know what they are doing and communicate in a clear and comprehensive manner. They are involved in most of the top patent cases in France.’
‘François Pochart has a scientific background that allows him to have an extremely precise technical knowledge of his files. This, combined with his extensive experience and perfect knowledge of the procedure, allows him to be very effective in court. He also demonstrates exceptional availability and responsiveness.’
‘Counsel Mathilde Rauline is very pleasant to work with. She is an excellent adviser and litigator for pharmaceutical clients.’
LFB (Laboratoire Français du Fractionnement)
Agence nationale santé publique
Medtronic lung health
- Representing B.BRAUN MEDICAL in appeal proceedings following a decision from the director general of the French Patent Office which rejected a French patent protected invention reinstatement application for a urinary catheter manufacturing method.
- Represented TEVA in a patent nullity case initiated against MERCK SHARP & DOHME involving a supplementary protection certificate for a cholesterol lowering agent.
- Represented Fresenius in patent infringement proceedings launched against several biosimilar companies, including Amgen SAS in relation to blockbuster immunosuppressant Humira.
Baker McKenzie's Julie Yeni heads the firm's seven-lawyer life sciences practice which advises leading French, European, US, Asian and other international pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers. The team assists with sensitive regulatory and contract issues, including compliance work, licensing and research partnerships, advertising and e-healthcare projects. In recent work, the team advised on several innovative projects such as the development of new connected medical devices and assisting a leading laboratory with contract negotiations with start-ups. In addition to its stand-alone practice, the team also handles healthcare issues linked to M&A transactions. In this area, was notably involved in several large-scale transactions spanning multiple jurisdictions, for example Servier's acquisition of Shire's global oncology business. Finally, the practice also regularly joins forces with the litigation department, especially Jean-Dominique Touraille and Katia Boneva-Desmicht, to defend leading healthcare providers facing sensitive product liability disputes.
‘The responsive team has great listening skills. The team is highly knowledgeable and the firm has capabilities worldwide.’
‘Julie Yeni is a smart, fast, precise, efficient and talented lawyer. She is very committed and available.’
LSP Life Sciences Partners
- Advised Servier on a $2.4bn acquisition of Shire’s global oncology business.
- Advised Bristol-Myers Squibb on the $1.6bn sale of its consumer health business to Taisho Pharmaceutical.
- Advised Platinum Equity on the acquisition of Johnson & Johnson’s LifeScan business for $2.1bn.
Bird & Bird has very solid pharmaceutical and medical device patent expertise. The firm was active in several key disputes, including a major biosimilar patent case and successfully acted for Actavis in first instance proceedings which led to the revocation of a diabetes treatment patent owned by Laboratoires Servier. Yves Bizollon and Anne-Charlotte Le Bihan are the key contacts. Corporate partner Emmanuelle Porte is another key member because of her strong expertise in assisting biotech and medtech companies as well as venture capital funds with private venture and M&A transactions.
Actavis Groupe PTC EHF
Millendo Therapeutics Inc
GrAI Matter Labs
Nestlé Life Science
- Successfully represented Actavis before the first instance court, obtaining the revocation of a diabetes treatment patent owned by Laboratoires Servier.
- Successfully defended Amgen in first instance patent proceedings initiated by Fresenius to prevent the marketing of Amgen’s drug AMGEVITA in France.
- Represented Edwards Lifesciences before the Paris Court of first instance regarding the infringement of two European patents covering a catheter heart valve.
Clifford Chance's recent highlights include defending Pfizer before French courts in several high-profile product liability cases regarding the company's various vaccines and drug products, including a major vaccine class action. Dispute resolution partner Thomas Baudesson is recommended, along with counsel Gaëlle Merlier whose expertise encompasses regulatory and product liability work. Olivier Gaillard brings further regulatory expertise to the team, while competition law expert David Tayar is active in several sensitive patent-related antitrust cases for a major pharmaceutical company.
‘A very experienced team in dealing with product liability and regulatory issues.’
‘The team has a very good understanding of the healthcare industry and of French regulations.’
‘A very reliable firm which provides regulatory and contract expertise in the life sciences sector.’
‘Counsel Gaëlle Merlier is a rising star who has proven experience in the field of life sciences. She is very proactive, efficient and reliable.’
‘Counsel Olivier Gaillard has unmatched healthcare industry knowledge. He listens carefully to clients’ needs and provides tailored responses. He mixes high-level expertise and pragmatism.’
Klosterfrau Healthcare Group
BTG International Germany GmbH
- Defended Pfizer in class action proceedings regarding its former vaccine Meningitec.
- Defended Pfizer before the French Supreme Court (Cour de Cassation) in a product liability case regarding a contraceptive pill.
- Successfully defended Pfizer in several proceedings regarding its infanti vaccine Prevanar 13.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés stands out for its strong e-healthcare expertise that brings together digital, data and healthcare regulatory know-how. The practice also provides assistance on contract licensing matters and public law healthcare procurement tenders. Medtech companies, software and platform providers, start-ups, as well as pharmaceutical laboratories and professional bodies are clients. Jean-Marie Job and Cécile Théard-Jallu both combine regulatory and IT expertise, while Blandine Fauran has particular knowledge of regulatory, competition, ethics and compliance issues.
‘The team is very knowledgeable and has a broad overview of both legal and business aspects.’
‘Cécile Théard-Jallu has outstanding knowledge and a strong business sense. She is extremely well qualified, in particular with regard to data protection matters.’
- Assisted Club Inter Pharmaceutique with the setting up of a national database for French pharmacies.
Fieldfisher's practice head Olivier Lantrès has strong regulatory expertise. Heading a seven-lawyer team, he assists a large client base, notably consisting of major pharmaceutical companies and laboratories, with a wide range of issues; such as distribution and market access, advertising and telemedicine issues. Litigation is also dealt with.
‘An extremely skilled team in the pharmaceutical sector.’
‘Olivier Lantrès is recommended.’
- Represented Belgagri in proceedings before the administrative court of Nîmes regarding the requalification of a veterinary drug.
Geneste & Devulder Avocats
Boutique firm Geneste & Devulder Avocats was set up in April 2019 by the highly regarded Bernard Geneste and Marine Devulder, who worked together at CMS. The practice has strong regulatory expertise and notably advises on market access and specific pharmaceutical tax issues. Pharmaceutical laboratories, professional bodies and other industry players, including medtech companies, are clients.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. has strong pharmaceutical and life sciences patent litigation know-how. The practice acts for leading French and international laboratories in biosimilar, SPC, generics and medical device patent disputes, often against other top industry players. Representing Sanofi, the group is in charge of the French aspects of a multi-jurisdictional patent infringement case against Mylan regarding a biosimilar insulin pen. Raphaëlle Dequiré-Portier, Grégoire Triet, Jean-Hyacinthe de Mitry and Dimitri Dimitrov, who was active for medical device manufacturers in product liability cases, are the main practitioners. Finally, the practice also fields a busy venture capital caseload advising biotech and medtech companies and investors during fundraising transactions. Arnaud Duhamel, Anne Tolila, Pierre Karpik and David-James Sebag are the specialists in that area.
Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS)
ONO Pharmaceuticals (Ono)
Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH.
- Successfully defended medical imaging technology company Guerbet before the Paris Court of first instance in patent invalidity proceedings brought by Bayer.
- Advised Danish medical device player Coloplast on the acquisition of French medical device distributor Lilial.
- Represented Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) and its licensor, Japanese laboratory Ono Pharmaceutical, in two appeal proceedings against a decision of the French patent office refusing to recognise two supplementary protection certificates for immunotherapy treatments.
Headed by Jonathan Burnham, HBC Avocats' two-lawyer team has in-depth niche expertise in the negotiation and drafting of commercial and licensing agreements in the life sciences sector, notably in relation to biomedical products, R&D contracts and clinical trials. The practice assists biotechnology companies and several global pharmaceutical corporations. Associate Fabrice Herbin is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the top teams on the market for pharmaceutical licensing and collaboration matters.’
‘The team demonstrates a fine understanding of the life sciences industry and R&D issues and always provides extremely relevant answers.’
‘The team has very good French and English language contract negotiation skills. They always provide a solution.’
‘The team is very much to the point and works on straightforward, simple solutions using a lot of intelligent creativity to get a deal done quickly. The client focus is absolutely stellar.’
‘Jonathan Burnham is one of the best (if not the best) for pharmaceutical licensing matters. He has French and North American experience.’
‘Associate Fabrice Herbin has hands-on experience in respect to clinical and other collaboration projects in the pharmaceutical space.’
- Assisted French biotechnology company Blink Biomedical with the negotiation of an exclusive commercial licence with Danish biopharmaceutical company Genmab regarding its CD47 antibody product.
- Advised French listed biotechnology company OSE Immunotherapeutics on the negotiation of an exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Boehringer Ingelheim regarding an immuno-oncology antibody.
- Advised Swiss-French listed biotechnology company Genkyotex on the negotiation of an expansion of its exclusive commercial license agreement with Serum Institute of India.
LexCase recruited Diane Bandon-Tourret from SEA AVOCATS in March 2020 to strengthen its existing practice. She regularly advises laboratories and medical device manufacturers on regulatory issues. Recent highlights included several cases of assisting clients with their relationships with French regulators regarding medical product certification and price fixing issues. Alain de Belenet and Raphaël Apelbaum specialise in public law.
Pech de Laclause Bathmanabane & Associés
Pech de Laclause Bathmanabane & Associés' Michèle Anahory has extensive regulatory expertise. She is retained by leading French international laboratories and medical device companies, but also works for smaller laboratories to notably assist with complex market access issues, investigations and the management of relationships with the market's regulators. Start-ups seek the group's advice for digital projects.
Winston & Strawn LLP advises a large and diverse client base made up of healthcare providers, clinics, laboratories, professional organisations and associations, individuals and groups of healthcare practitioners, as well as investors and private equity funds. The practice stands out for its very strong combined corporate, regulatory, litigation and disciplinary proceedings expertise. It advises on M&A and private equity transactions, on the setting up of healthcare companies and industry networks, and regularly manages corporate and shareholder disputes. The practice acts as a strategic adviser to several key clients, notably new market entrants, whom it guides all the way through their growth and expansion process. Practice head Gilles Bigot is highly recommended, especially for dealing with challenging corporate, regulatory and litigation matters. Other key members include Anne-Carine Ropars-Furet, Julie Vern Cesano-Gouffrant and Mathilde Lefranc-Barthe.
‘They have an unparalleled knowledge of healthcare industry regulations, practices and regulatory authorities. Each individual of the team is extremely reactive and reliable.’
‘Gilles Bigot has unmatched knowledge of the healthcare market which makes him a true strategist. He always thinks forward and never forgets his clients’ interests.’
La Croix Rouge Française
Mutuelle Nationale des Hospitaliers (MNH)
Ramsay Générale de Santé
BCTG Avocats' Hugues Villey-Desmeserets assists a long list of healthcare generics companies and also several brand name drug manufacturers, as well as cosmetics, medical device and food supplement manufacturing companies, with commercial and distribution issues. Villey-Desmeserets notably provides guidance to clients on the setting up of their commercial policies and the negotiation of commercial contracts. Other work includes the management of clients' relationships with the General Directorate for Competition Policy, Consumer Affairs and Fraud Control (DGCCRF).
‘They are very skilled in the pharmaceutical sector.’
STADA (EG Labo)
Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France
Céva Santé Animale
- Assisted CAUDALIE with proceedings before the French Competition Authority in a case relating to the non-renewal of selective distribution contracts.
Delsol Avocats' Jeanne Bossi Malafosse is particularly proficient in advising leading pharmaceutical and healthcare companies and professional bodies on data and e-healthcare issues. She is acting as data protection officer for several of her clients. The practice's second key member is Thomas Roche who has particular know-how in the field of regulatory and clinical research. He advises several leading industry players as well as smaller laboratories.
DLA Piper's life sciences head Sonia de Kondserovsky advises on corporate, M&A and licensing agreement matters, with recent examples including several transactions for key client Pierre Fabre. Karine Disdier-Mikus brings her trade mark expertise to the table, while Denise Lebeau-Marianna advises leading industry players on data privacy and GDPR issues.
‘The team is knowledgeable.’
‘Sonia de Kondserovsky provides guidance on M&A transactions and on specific industry contracts. She understands clients’ expectations.’
Qualcomm Life – Capsule
West Pharmaceutical Services
- Advised Pierre Fabre on the signing of an oncology product development and manufacturing agreement with Taiwanese company Foresee.
- Advised Syneos on pre-clinical trials on human samples and animals.
Ginestié Magellan Paley-Vincent's practice head Catherine Paley-Vincent assists healthcare professionals with regulatory issues. She has extensive experience tackling complex bioethics and medical ethics issues and regularly defends clients facing disciplinary proceedings before professional regulatory bodies.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP is adviser to several leading names in the industry. The practice has longstanding experience in high-profile product liability cases for leading pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers. Christelle Coslin, who made partner in 2019, is notably involved in the defence of certification company TÜV Rheinland in the headline PIP breast implant product liability case. The practice strengthened its regulatory ability through the hiring of Charlotte Damiano from Simmons & Simmons in 2019. Mikael Salmela, who heads the practice, advises on strategic partnerships in the industry, while Stanislas Roux-Vaillard handles patent case for big names in the sector.
‘The team is knowledgeable, fully available and efficient.’
- Successfully represented Eli Lilly’s affiliate Icos before the First Instance Court of Parisin proceedings launched against its Cialis’ urology patent.
- Defended certification company TÜV Rheinland in the headline PIP breast implant product liability case.
Boehringer Ingelheim France
Groupe Patrick Choay SAS
Santen Switzerland SA
At Jones Day, Thomas Bouvet's strong patent expertise is retained by pharmaceutical and cosmetic manufacturing companies to handle strategic patent cases. In addition, Renaud Bonnet offers extensive experience in advising investors, biotech and medtech companies on corporate venture transactions.
Laboratoire HRA Pharma
Mainstay Medical International Plc
Santen Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Cardinal Health, Inc.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Advised Creadev and Temasek on their investment in InnovaFeed.
- Represented Santen in its appeal proceedings against a decision issued by the French Intellectual Property Office refusing to grant a supplementary protection certificate for an eye drop emulsion for the treatment of keratitis
Lerins & BCW
Lerins & BCW has particular experience in advising private clinics and investors on the acquisition of healthcare facilities in France. Vivalto Santé is a key client in that respect. The practice also provides regulatory advice to various healthcare providers, including in the optical industry sector where the team represented an optical retailer involved in strategic civil, disciplinary and administrative court proceedings. Practice head Luc Castagnet, Bertrand Vorms and Bruno Lorit are the key members in the nine-lawyer team.
Centre Hospitalier Metropole Savoie
Groupe Hospitalier De Bretagne Sud
Syndicat national des chirurgiens plastiques, reconstructeurs et esthétique (SNCPRE)
Centre Hospitalier d’Arles
- Advised Vivalto Santé on the acquisition of eight private healthcare facilities in 2018.
- Represented optical and hearing retailers Optical Center in civil, disciplinary and administrative proceedings with the French Medical Council (Ordre des Médecins) in relation to the French ophthalmic surgery sector.
Lmt Avocats advises leading French and international pharmaceutical companies as well as smaller industry players on regulatory, corporate and digital law issues. The six-lawyer team is co-headed by Olivier Samyn and Antoine Lemétais.
Therabel Lucien Pharma
HDI Global SE
- Advised Substipharm in relation to the acquisition of a pharmaceutical product marketed by BMS.
Boutique firm Mercure Avocats combines regulatory and corporate expertise. The five-lawyer team assists a large client base composed of biotech and medtech companies, as well as several leading pharmaceutical companies. The group notably advises on share capital increase and fundraising work, as well as on the negotiation of partnership and licensing agreements. Agathe Simon and François-Maxime Philizot co-chair the practice.
‘The team is focus on serving clients’ interests and offers great level of expertise. It is competent, reactive and quickly assesses clients’ needs.’
‘A very responsive team.’
‘Agathe Simon shows strong listening skills.’
‘ François-Maxime Philizot is very efficient.’
- Assisted biotech company Syndivia with a €1m fundraising with regional seed fund Cap Innov’Est.
- Assisted Swiss biopharmaceutical company Correvio with the implementation of the GDPR data act at EU level.
- Advised Lexelians on the creation of a group of health centres using telemedicine devices.
Norton Rose Fulbright further strengthened its practice after hiring former Clifford Chance practitioner Marion Roquette-Pfister in 2018, who has strong industry-specific public law contract and regulatory expertise and assists major pharmaceutical companies with strategic files, including public procurement contracts. Also involved is competition law partner Marta Giner Asins.
- Advised PFIZER France on public procurement contracts entered into with public hospitals.
Reed Smith advises a large range of French and international laboratories, distributors, manufacturers and service providers, including several major generics pharmaceutical companies. Daniel Kadar is particularly active and assists clients with regulatory and data privacy issues. Marc Lévy and Natasha Tardif are key contacts for antitrust and distribution law issues. The pair are notably involved in abuse of dominant position and abusive commercial relationship termination cases. Finally, the firm is also able to provide complementary IP and corporate expertise.
Headed by Catherine Tamburini-Bonnefoy, Simon Associés' four-lawyer team stands out through its extensive experience in the management of medical malpractice litigation. The practice defends medical insurers, public and private hospitals, pharmaceutical groups and medical practitioners. Recent work includes several files before courts following medical surgery accidents. The team also provides regulatory and compliance expertise.
CENTRE HOSPITALIER DE MANTES-LA-JOLIE
Squire Patton Boggs defends pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers and their insurers in product liability cases. The team recently defended several clients facing judicial class action and mass litigation disputes in relation to their drug products. Surgery-related accident claims are another area of strength. Carole Sportes and Valérie Ravit are in charge.
- Defended Siemens Healthcare and HDI Global in product liability litigation arisen from patients’ claims regarding Lyme disease tests.
- Represented UCB Pharma in a case concerning one of its epileptic drugs.
Taylor Wessing’s Evelyne Friedel advises a large client base composed of international pharmaceutical and medical devices companies, whom she assists with compliance, regulatory and distribution issues.
- Assisted BIOTEST with the French launch of a new pharmaceutical product authorised by the European Medicines Agency.
- Advised PROFOUND MEDICAL on the drafting of agreements with the University of Strasbourg regarding the testing of devices.