Administrative and public law in France
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's seven-lawyer team has strong expertise advising on public contracts and major domestic infrastructure projects. The practice has recently been involved in major domestic greenfield and brownfield transactions and projects. It is advising on landmark energy onshore and offshore renewables and hydrogen projects. It is also currently assisting in all the country's top telecoms infrastructure projects. The litigation practice is particularly strong in regulated sectors, notably in the transport, energy and media regulated industries. The firm's expertise is also being sought after to help handled newly emerging climate-change litigation in France. Finally, the practice also advises on a whole range of strategic public law issues and also provides key support on M&A transactions involving major public law aspects, such as recently in relation to a key transaction in the airport sector. Many leading French and international companies and banks are clients, including blue-chip energy and engineering companies. Several public-sector operators also turn to the firm. Romaric Lazerges heads the practice. Also recommended are counsels Antoine Coursaut-Durand and Luc Lamblin and senior associate Arthur Sauzay.
‘The team is excellent, cooperative, business-orientated, time-efficient and meets deadlines.’
‘A very responsive team demonstrating exceptional analysis capabilities. It approaches matters in a very precise and practical way.’
‘Romaric Lazerges is a very good lawyer. He is extremely efficient and responsive. He is handling extremely complex files and always provides spot-on advice.’
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
Métropole Télévision (M6)
Predica (Crédit Agricole Group)
- Advising CASIL Europe, a consortium made up of two Chinese companies, on the disposal of its stake in Toulouse-Blagnac airport to Eiffage and represented the client before the French Supreme Administrative Court (Conseil d’Etat) concerning the same airport privatisation process in 2014.
- Advising the winning consortium led by Engie on the construction of two offshore wind farms in French waters (close to 1GW in capacity).
- Advised Bouygues and MIROVA’s company AREMA on transferring part of the PPP contract regarding the operation of Marseille’s Stade Velodrome to Olympique de Marseille.
Clifford Chance is one of France's most renowned firms in the field of public law contracts. The ten-lawyer team is appointed by private operators and governmental entities to advise on the structuring of the country's largest concession and procurement contracts. The practice is currently advising on most of France's largest ongoing public greenfield infrastructure projects, especially in the transport area and in relation to the Grand Paris urban project initiatives. It is also the go-to firm to deal with strategic contract performance issues. The team is managing high-end contentious work in that area in relation to major airport and rail projects. Finally, the team also has strong regulatory and general public law expertise. It is advising the French government on a major privatisation project and also acts for operators involved in landmark offshore renewables projects, advising on a pipeline project and on nuclear energy matters. Star partner David Préat co-heads the team with the highly promising Gauthier Martin who recently made partner. Also involved is newly promoted counsel Jean-Baptiste Merigot de Treigny. Marion Roquette-Pfister joined Norton Rose Fulbright in early 2018.
David Préat; Gauthier Martin
Other key lawyers:
‘Clifford Chance’s advice is exceptional. The firm handles high-stake issues with outstanding efficiency thanks to its long experience in PPP and its capacity to call up collaborators in different countries.’
‘The team has very good technical skills, deep market experience and excellent legal knowledge.’
‘David Préat is really one of the most talented lawyers in the field of public private partnerships. He has managed to build a team of exceptional quality.’
‘Gauthier Martin has a high level of expertise.’
French Ministry for Ecological and Inclusive Transition
Société du Grand Paris
Antin Infrastructure Partners
- Advising the French Ministry for Ecological and Inclusive Transition on the privatisation of Aéroports de Paris, the owner and operator of the Paris airports.
- Advising Société du Grand Paris with the Western and Eastern new metro Line 15 construction project as part of the Grand Paris Express metro network project.
- Advising LISEA as concessionaire of the high-speed rail link between Tours and Bordeaux on major related contract performance issues.
Dentons has leading expertise advising on France’s largest PPP projects. In addition to recently advising on a series of mid-sized school renovation projects, the firm has a very strong involvement in the transport sector where it is earning regular landmark instructions. It is advising on the country’s few ongoing blue-chip transport projects, notably in the rail and road sectors. It was chosen by the French Ministry of Ecological and Inclusive Transition to help draft a section of the new Mobility Law (LOM). The team is also advising on first-of-its-kind transport projects, notably on the implementation of France’s first urban road traffic toll project in Lyon. The three-lawyer practice is also a good choice for dealing with major contract performance issues and energy-related work. Practice head Marc Fornacciari and of counsel Dorothée Griveaux are the main contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Dorothée Griveaux; Nicolas Vital
‘A very good practical and high-level technical team which has a 360 degrees vision of matters and an ability to grasp complex underlying financial, political and economical aspects of a project.’
‘The firm provides very relevant analyses.’
‘Marc Fornacciari is a true team leader who is also very committed towards his clients. He provides very fine analyses that are instrumental in helping to reach the best decision on a project.’
‘Of counsel Dorothée Griveaux has a deep understanding of the specifics and constraints of the public sector. She is hardworking and shows great analysis capabilities.’
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
COMPAGNIE DES ALPES
ETABLISSEMENT PUBLIC CAMPUS CONDORCET
METROPOLE DE LYON
MINISTRY OF ECOLOGICAL AND INCLUSIVE TRANSITION
SCHUEPBACH ENERGY LLC
- Advised RATP Dev and Keolis as the winning consortium on the awarding of the Charles de Gaulle Express train shuttle airport operation contract.
- Advising the Ministry for Ecological and Inclusive Transition on the awarding of the RCEA road concession project.
- Assisting French Transport Authority for the Paris Region (STIF) with the awarding of four new automatic metro line operation contracts as part of the Grand Paris Express new metro project.
Jones Day ’s strong regulatory expertise is sought after to deal with some of the country's most high-profile matters. The five-lawyer team is notably advising the French State on the privatisation of airport operator Aéroports de Paris and is handling landmark work in the renewables and energy sector for leading domestic energy producers. In addition, the team is managing high-stake regulatory and public sector contract litigation, including a high volume of cases dealing with the validity of structured loans taken out by local public sector entities. Finally, the practice is advising on several domestic infrastructure projects, notably in the broadband sector. Philippe Delelis and Nicolas Brice are recommended. Senior lawyer Rémi Ducloyer joined Baker McKenzie in December 2019.
Philippe Delelis; Nicolas Brice
‘A professional and remarkably efficient team.’
‘The team is highly proficient and patient.’
‘Nicolas Brice has sharp expertise.’
Caisse des Dépots et Consignations
- Advising the Agence des participations de l’état (APE) on the contemplated privatisation of Aéroports de Paris.
- Advising catering company ELIOR on the constitution of a public joint venture (SEMOP) with the Département des Yvelines for the awarding of a concession contract concerning the catering for more than 200 high schools in the Yvelines department.
- Representing the CONFEDERATION NATIONALE DU CREDIT MUTUEL in a dispute relating to the projected withdrawal of Crédit Mutuel Arkéa (CMA) from the parent company.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP's six-lawyer team manages an impressive workload. The firm is regularly appointed by French governmental entities and state-owned companies to advise on their most strategic matters, often in relation with the reshuffling of regulated sectors such as the transport, energy and telecommunications sectors. For instance, the practice was recently active in the context of a highly complex landmark rail reform. The team is also advising on one of France's landmark infrastructure transport projects and is regularly providing support during M&A transactions involving key public law issues. Finally, it is also handling key work in the energy sector and high-stake litigation and also advising on several international projects. Many leading private companies are also clients. The practice head is Frédéric Salat-Baroux. Counsel Marc Lordonnois is the other key name in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Team members demonstrate a deep knowledge of French public law peculiarities and can rely on a great network when required, which helps designing appropriate solutions.’
‘The firm provides very good strategic advice linked with deep knowledge of public rules and individuals involved. The team has great writing capabilities and is easy to work with.’
‘The team has high-level skills.’
‘Frédéric Salat-Baroux is an exceptional lawyer with a deep understanding of public law and decision-making. He has great writing skills and is a hard worker. He is fully business-oriented and at the same time always provides safe legal solutions. His legal analyses are very thorough and accurate. He demonstrates an excellent understanding of clients’ needs and offers creative solutions when needed.’
‘Marc Lordonnois has very strong expertise and is very reliable. He is hardworking, client-oriented, pleasant, and demonstrates strong pragmatism under any circumstance.’
EBM (Coopérative Elektra Birseck)
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
French State (Agence des Participations de l’Etat)
Compagnie Nationale du Rhône
Aéroports de Paris
- Representing the French State (Agence des Participations de l’Etat) on the contemplated privatisation of La Française des Jeux.
- Advised the SNCF on the restructuring of the company and the rail sector in France.
- Advised the consortium composed of SNCF Réseau, Aéroports de Paris and Caisse des dépôts et consignations on the €2.1bn CDG Express rail project.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is one of the few firms clients turn to when facing serious performance contract issues on high-profile French projects. The six-lawyer team is managing several strategic files, notably in relation to a failed airport project in Nantes. In addition, the firm is also retained to advise on large-scale greenfield infrastructure projects and in the context of M&A transactions. It is also advising on privatisation matters. Leading sponsors and banks are clients. Practice head Thierry Laloum ranks among the finest in his field. Also recommended are special European counsel Charles-Antoine Erignac and senior associate Anne-Laure Barel.
Bouygues Travaux Publics
- Advising Vinci Concessions on negotiations with the French state following the abandonment of the landmark Notre Dame des Landes airport project by the state.
- Assisting the lenders of the Keolis-led consortium on the CDG Express shuttle airport project.
- Representing SOMUPI in the proceeding challenging the decision of the City of Paris to grant the concession of a public advertising display procurement agreement to Clear Channel.
Adamas' comprehensive 43-lawyer team advises leading companies, especially in the energy sector, as well as major municipalities, regions and harbours. The firm is notably assisting several of France’s main cities with key infrastructure and new urban planning renovation projects. It is also tackling landmark regulatory litigation work in the rail and energy sectors, and its strong public sector contract practice is advising companies and public local entities on major procurement contracts. Finally, its urban planning law expertise is also well regarded. The firm has various offices in France including in Paris and Lyon and recently opened an office in Marseille. The practice is co-headed by Romain Granjon, Gilles Le Chatelier and Laurent Sery. Jean-Marc Petit and Guillaume Chaineau are two other key members.
Romain Granjon; Gilles Le Chatelier; Laurent Sery
‘Laurent Sery provides timely and tailor-made advice. He knows how to adapt himself to his clients’ various profiles and specific way of working. He is a real partner for clients.’
Métropole du Grand Lyon
Métropole de Marseille
Métropole Européenne de Lille
Métropole de Nice
Métropole de Rouen
Métropole de Bordeaux
Métropole de Saint-Etienne
Région Bourgogne Franche-Comté
Région Centre Val de Loire
Val d’Isère Ski resort
Courchevel Ski resort
Serre-Chevalier Ski resort
Collectivité de Corse
Ministère de la cohésion des territoires
Agence pour l’immobilier de la Justice
Grand Port Maritime de Rouen
Grand Port Maritime de Nantes St Nazaire
Grand Port du Havre
Syndicat des Transports de l’agglomération Lyonnaise (SYTRAL)
Compagnie Nationale du Rhône (CNR)
UTC Group (OTIS / Chubb)
Xerox – Conduent
- Representing SNCF Mobilités in a dispute with the Region Hauts-de-France before the French railway authority ARAFER in relation to the opening of Regional Express Transport (TER) lines to competition.
- Representing ENEDIS in mass litigation disputes and advising the client on electricity distribution concessions renewals.
- Assisting Lyon with the Lyon Part-Dieu railway, the Anneau des Sciences ring road and Groupama Stadium projects.
Baker McKenzie is retained by many leading state-owned as well as private sector companies to advise on highly strategic regulatory work, especially in the energy, transport and telecoms sectors. The large 14-lawyer team is notably working on several top-end privatisation files. It also is managing a significant litigation caseload, while its range of expertise also extends to public law contracts and urban planning law. Notable practitioners Emmanuel Guillaume and Arnaud Cabanes co-head the practice. Also involved is Richard Mugni who specifically deals with projects in Africa. Following the departure of Alexia Robbes , who joined AdDen avocats in September 2019, the firm hired new counsel Rémi Ducloyer, who joined in December 2019 from Jones Day where he was formerly a senior lawyer.
Emmanuel Guillaume; Arnaud Cabanes
Other key lawyers:
China International Water & Electric Corporation
Electricité De France (EDF)
ADP (Aéroports de Paris)
Cote d’Azur airport (ACA)
Port autonome de Conakry
TDF – Eiffel Tower
African Infrastructure Investment Managers LTD
Conseil Départemental d’Eure-et-Loir
Chelsfield/The Olayan Group
- Advised SNCF on the ongoing reforms of the current legal railway framework.
- Represented EDF in proceedings initiated by the Collectivité Territoriale de Corse regarding risks associated with the provision of power plant fuel to Saint Joseph wharf in the harbour of Ajaccio.
- Represented ADP in emergency proceedings initiated by a passenger car company following its non-selection as taxi provider for the transportation of the clients’ employees and partners.
Bredin Prat's Yann Aguila is helping France's largest private and public companies and various state entities, as well as major international companies, with high-level regulatory issues. The three-lawyer team recently worked on landmark restructuring, governmental reform and litigation matters, spanning various industries including the railway, transport and energy sectors. It also successfully handled a high-stake litigation in the banking sector. In addition, the practice provides key support on the firm's high-profile M&A transactions involving public sector infrastructure assets and state-owned companies. Finally, it also deals with public law contract matters. Counsel Guillaume Froger is highly involved in matters.
Other key lawyers:
CCI Paris Île-de-France
COJO Paris 2024 (Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games of Paris 2024)
PSA Group (Peugeot Citroën)
- Advising CCI Paris Île-de-France on the public law aspects of its projected reorganization.
- Advising Danish energy company Ørsted on its joint bidding, together with Total and Elicio, for Dunkirk ‘s offshore wind farm tender project.
- Advising Lagardère on the public law aspects of its exclusive negotiations with M6 group for the sale of its television business (excluding Mezzo).
CMS combines strong expertise in various areas. Through François Tenailleau, the firm is expert in public law contract and procurement law. The practice is notably advising major sponsors, as well as governmental and state-owned entities, involved in several key public sector infrastructure projects and services, such as the renovation of the Gare du Nord station. The team is also well versed in handling litigation which challenges the awarding of public procurement contracts as the group's multiple recent victories attest. Christophe Barthélemy is a key name for complex regulatory issues arising in the energy sector. Claire Vannini specialises in public and EU regulatory issues. She is handling strategic matters before the highest French and EU courts, including several significant state aid matters. Newly promoted counsels Kawthar Ben Khelil and Aurore-Emmanuelle Rubio provide strong support. Cendrine Delivré joined the practice from DLA Piper in September 2019.
François Tenailleau; Christophe Barthélemy; Claire Vannini
‘The team is business- and client-oriented, and is very careful to address its clients’ needs. It has excellent knowledge of the market’s practices and is eager to experiment with legal innovations.’
‘They have a very sharp knowledge of public law. They also are pragmatic, which allows them to adapt impressively to their clients’ needs. In addition, it is always pleasant to work with them.’
‘François Tenailleau is recognised as a top reference in his field. He is business-oriented and creative. He always has an excellent global vision of both legal and strategic aspects of a project and is capable of explaining issues clearly. He has outstanding negotiation skills. He is always personally involved and keen to solve any issues.’
‘Counsel Kawthar Ben Khelil cares about her clients reaching their goals and works with them on how to best achieve results.’
SNCF Mobilités & SNCF Réseau
Caisse des dépôts et consignations (CDC)
La Banque Postale
Groupe Crédit Agricole
Union des Ports de France
Société d’exploitation des Ports du Détroit
Aqua Club Exploitation
Europe Energie Sud
- Assisting SNCF Mobilités with the transformation project of the Paris Nord railway station.
- Assisting Corsica Linea, as newly appointed operator of France’s and Corsica’s public maritime services, with securing public funds in line with state aid rules. Represented the client in a dispute initiated by a competitor challenging the awarding of the public maritime service concession.
- Successfully represented eBioSanté in challenging the validity of a public contract tender procedure relating to colorectal cancer screenings, which first led to the cancellation of the procedure by the administrative court of Paris and later by the Conseil d’Etat.
Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier's team deals with high-end work on behalf of leading French sponsors, companies and public sector entities. The practice has got leading regulatory expertise and is often retained to advise on high-profile privatisation and M&A transactions involving major public law issues. The practice also advises on major public procurement projects and deals with related complex litigation and contentious execution issues. Lately, the firm has also handled major work in the energy sector. Practice head Henri Savoie and of counsel Patrick Mèle are highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
De Pardieu Brocas Maffei’s Christine Le Bihan-Graf is a stellar name in France for dealing with high-level issues pertaining to regulated sectors. Heading a five-lawyer team, she is currently handling highly strategic work in the energy sector, notably for the French electricity grid operator. The team is equally tackling landmark work in the transport sector and providing top-level guidance on high-profile privatisation projects. Finally, the team also advises on public law contracts and projects and represents clients in litigation arisen from these areas. Public law and regulatory specialist Laure Rosenblieh was named counsel.
Christine Le Bihan-Graf
Other key lawyers:
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
CANAL PLUS RATP
CONSEIL DU COMMERCE DE FRANCE
ELECTRICITE DE STRASBOURG
- Successfully representing Enedis before the Constitutional Council in a procedure brought by Engie calling for cancellation of a law which provided financial compensation for electricity suppliers which undertake certain tasks on behalf of the distribution system operators.
- Advised Korean consortium IPM Corea and Samsung Asset Management on the 39.24% acquisition of Dunkerque’s methane terminal from EDF and Total.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. combines high-level expertise in several areas. Through Michel Guénaire, the practice has leading regulatory expertise, especially in the energy sector where its know-how is second to none. The public sector contract and project expertise is also very strong. In that field, the firm regularly earns top-level instructions from French governmental entities and sponsors alike thanks to Thomas Courtel and Bénédicte Mazel. Finally, the urban planning and public domain expertise is sought-after by leading property developers and companies to obtain and defend permit authorisations concerning landmark public and private-sector projects, such as train station renovation, commercial centres and office tower projects. Emmanuel Vital-Durand and Alexandre Gauthier are also highly recommended.
Michel Guénaire; Thomas Courtel; Bénédicte Mazel; Emmanuel Vital-Durand; Alexandre Gauthier
‘The firm has absolutely remarkable knowledge of public law, combined with an excellent understanding of underlying political issues.’
‘The team is very available and understands quickly and fully complex matters. They deliver timely analysis.’
‘Emmanuel Vital-Durand is excellent, and highly appreciated for his ability to surround himself with a marvellous team of collaborators, and his ability to listen and develop relationships with his clients.’
‘Bénédicte Mazel demonstrates a very clear understanding of clients’ needs, formulates thoughtful, appropriate and pragmatic recommendations and is very efficient in negotiations.’
TELT (SAS Tunnel Euralpin Lyon Turin)
SMTPC (Company Marseillaise du Tunnel Prado Fairing)
US Embassy in France
Kaufman & Broad
Société NUMA – Partouche Group
- Representing the French state on the negotiation of a €2.1bn worth concession agreement for the CDG Express rail shuttle project.
- Representing Eiffage in the negotiation of a €75m worth concession agreement with the City of Reims regarding the city’s main events arena.
- Representing Enedis in several disputes brought before the French courts by circa 600 plaintiffs who are challenging the deployment of smart-metre instruments.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP is one of France’s strongest references for large-scale infrastructure projects. The five-lawyer practice regularly represents the French government and other public entities, as well as private operators. It is involved in several transport-related landmark projects. The team is also handling strategic public law contract litigation in addition to advising on high-profile renewables energy projects in France. In parallel, the team is also advising on large-scale energy projects in Africa. Bruno Cantier heads the practice. Ludovic Babin is the other key name within the practice and counsel Perrine Limousin also provides support.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has excellent knowledge.’
‘Ludovic Babin knows very well his field of expertise. He can very quickly give strategic advice and pragmatic recommendations. He is also very dedicated to his clients and can meet any deadline, even the most challenging.’
ADP: Aéroports de Paris
Société d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel
- Assisting ADP with the CDG airport express shuttle project.
- Acting for Société d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel in a dispute regarding the awarding of the Eiffel Tower’s food and beverage concession contract.
Latournerie Wolfrom Avocats is currently advising on several of France’s major municipalities' ambitious urban renewal projects, working alongside cities and private operators alike. The firm is also regularly handling headline matters in the transport infrastructure sector, spanning the port, rail and airport areas. It is also highly recognised for its deep expertise in the telecoms sector where it is regularly retained to advise on large-scale telecoms infrastructure projects across the country. Litigation is also dealt with. The large 20-lawyer practice is co-headed by Jean Latournerie, Laurent de la Brosse, Terence Cabot and Marion Delaigue.
Jean Latournerie; Laurent de la Brosse; Terence Cabot; Marion Delaigue
Paris la Défense
Région Grand Est
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
BOUYGUES ENERGIES SERVICES
POLE LEONARD DE VINCI
UNIVERSITE PARIS SUD
- Assisting SNCF Network entities with their transformation into French limited liability companies.
- Advising the Transport Office of Corsica with the establishment of a public service sector airline connecting Corsica and several European cities.
Veil Jourde ’s Emmanuel Glaser is a strong name for tackling key strategic issues linked to regulated sectors, such as transport, media, press and local currencies. Heading a three-lawyer team, he is retained by many of France’s most important state-owned companies, as well as by many leading French private operators. He is handling a very high-profile litigation regarding France’s regulated gas and electricity tariffs, and assisting SNCF Réseau with the impact of France’s rail sector reshuffling. The team regularly deals with newly raised issues, such as advising City of Bayonne on the adoption of a new local currency. The team also advises on public law contracts and procurements. Counsel Sandrine Perrotet is also a key contributor to the practice.
Other key lawyers:
SNCF réseau & SNCF holding
Conseil national du notariat
Autorité de régulation de la Distribution de la Presse
Bureau national interprofessionnel du Cognac
Ville de Bayonne
- Successfully represented Direct Energie in very high-profile proceedings dealing with France’s regulated gas and electricity tariffs.
- Assisting SNCF Réseau on landmark legislative reforms.
- Advised the City of Bayonne on the adoption of a new local currency.
Headed by Etienne Amblard, Aramis's three-lawyer practice has strong public sector contract expertise. It is currently advising public sector entities involved in high-profile rail and telecoms projects and handling related litigation. It is notably assisting TELT in the landmark Lyon-Turin railway tunnel litigation. In addition, the firm advises many major private sector companies in dealing with PPP project and litigation issues. Associate Kévyn Gillet is also highly involved.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has exceptional expertise in public law.’
‘The team is dedicated. It has strong execution capabilities and in-depth market knowledge.’
‘The team is very flexible and reactive. They have deep and precise knowledge and are able to clearly answer very technical questions.’
‘Etienne Amblard is brilliant and has exceptional skills. He also has expertise in the economic and financial fields, which gives his analysis a very high degree of relevance.’
‘Etienne Amblard is reliable, hands-on and solution-driven.’
Syndicat mixte Autolib’
Government of French Polynesia
Office des postes et télécommunications de Polynésie française
Ville de Paris
Tunnel Euralpin Lyon Turin
Tahiti Nui Telecom
Tahiti Nui Aménagement & Développement
Groupement du Mur Manteau
Eau et Feu
- Assisting TELT (Tunnel Euralpin Lyon Turin company) with the Lyon-Turin railway tunnel project.
- Advising the Government of French Polynesia on the construction of a large-scale tourism Tahitian Village project.
- Assisting the French Polynesian telecoms and postal service company (OPT) with its reorganisation.
Ashurst LLP regularly advises on major domestic infrastructure PPP projects, alongside state entities and private operators. The practice is currently assisting the French government as well as private operators on key transport projects. The four-lawyer team also regularly works on greenfield and brownfield renewables projects in France, collaborating with colleagues from the firm’s other departments. Additionally, he practice has strong regulatory expertise, especially in the energy and rail sectors where it is managing strategic work. Finally, litigation also makes up an important portion of the work handled. Jacques Dabreteau, who made partner in 2019, is in charge.
French Minister of Transport
European Investment Bank
The Carlyle Group
P&O Ferries Holdings Limited
Robert Bosch France
- Advised Fayat in its bidding offer to the RCEA motorway concession tender contract.
- Assisting consortium leader EDEIS in dealing with the contentious termination of a major design services procurement contract regarding the Cigeo radioactive waste disposal facility project.
- Representing Robert Bosch’s subsidiary Coup before French courts regarding its Coup eScooter Sharing business.
August Debouzy combines strong regulatory and public law contract expertise. The five-lawyer team is instructed by leading French and international private companies, major state-owned and public sector entities to advise or litigate on high-stake matters. The firm recently achieved several major victories before the administrative courts regarding public procurement issues. In parallel, the firm is also advising on the conclusion of major public procurements in various sectors. The practice also stands out for its strong regulatory expertise, spanning several sectors including the transport, energy and tobacco industries where it is handling strategic work. It notably advised a major operator on Brexit preparations as well as another key client on drafting EU rules proposals. Finally, clients also turn to the firm seeking guidance on Sapin II anti-corruption law issues in relation to the public sector. Vincent Brenot and Emmanuelle Mignon are in charge. Counsel Hélène Billery and senior associate Emmanuel Weicheldinger are other key contributors.
Vincent Brenot; Emmanuelle Mignon
Other key lawyers:
- Successfully defended Veolia Eau before the Conseil d’Etat in a heated dispute with Suez and the French State over one of Europe’s largest water treatment plants.
- Representing Bagatelle Beach regarding the renewal of the major Ramatuelle Beach concession.
- Assisting SNCF Mobilités with the negotiation of a concession contract to operate Monaco’s train station.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés three-partner team assists private operators, as well as governmental and local public entities. The team has a good breadth of expertise spanning public sector contracts and projects, and regulatory and urban law issues. It is particularly involved in matters relating to the transport, renewables energy, building, telecoms, data, sports, mining and healthcare sectors. It recently advised on several major infrastructure projects in France and in its overseas territories. It is notably handling a high amount of work in relation to various modernisation projects in French Guyana. Litigation expertise is also strong and the firm is managing several sensitive files dealing with major public contract performance issues. Several sport federations and Paris 2024 Olympics are also clients. Frédéric Destal, Agnès Macaire and Gaïa Witz are in charge. Louis de Gaulle is also noted.
Frédéric Destal; Agnès Macaire; Gaïa Witz
‘The team provides good quality work.’
‘Agnès Macaire is available and well organised.’
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
Collectivité Territoriale de Guyane
Conseil Régional de la Réunion
Fédération Française du Transport de Personnes sur Route (FFTPR)
Gouvernement de la Nouvelle Calédonie
Ministry of Justice
Hospices civils de Lyon
- Assisting the Communauté d’agglomération Cayenne Centre Littoral with the launch of a tender process for a new bus network system.
- Assisting public sector entity SPLANG with an ambitious digitalisation development project for the territory of French Guyana.
DLA Piper further enhanced its practice after hiring Jérôme Pentecoste who joined from Gowling WLG, alongside counsel Julie Vuagnoux. Pentecoste’s team has strong experience advising lenders and sponsors on French PPP and infrastructure projects, including handling related litigation. He now co-chairs the practice alongside Pascal Martin. The team also covers regulatory and urban law issues. It is currently assisting clients with several PPP projects in relation to telecoms, universities and other types of public building infrastructures. Cendrine Delivré joined CMS in September 2019.
Jérôme Pentecoste; Pascal Martin
‘Jérôme Pentecoste is a great professional.’
Deme Concessions Wind
FII Co. and Warwick Capital Partners LLP
Gaz de Bordeaux
Meridiam and the consortium
Red Electrica de España (REE)
Republic of Guinea
Crédir Foncier de France
Ville de Paris
La Ciotat Shipyards
- Assisting Vinci, Duval, Dalkia, CDC and Mirova’s consortium with the Lille Forum building project.
- Representing University of Paris VII in monitoring performance and litigation issues regarding a particular PPP contract relating to the construction of new premises.
DS Avocats houses one of the market's strongest urban planning law expertise. The firm is assisting several public sector entities as well as top developers working on landmark commercial and private and public property and infrastructure projects. It is notably involved in a series of Greater Paris and 2024 Olympics' urban development projects. The large 27-lawyer team also advises on public sector procurement contracts and on various other subjects. Paris-based Frédéric Lévy and Lyon-office managing partner Jean-Marc Poisson co-chair the practice, which also include key members: Monique Ambal, David Guillot, Laura Ceccarelli-Le Guen, Michaël Moussault and Nathalie Sultan. The hiring of Philippe Zeller from Orrick Rambaud Martel strengthens the group's presence in infrastructure procurement projects.
Frédéric Lévy; Jean-Marc Poisson
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very business-oriented and practical.’
‘Nathalie Sultan always offers a suitable solution. She is very helpful, easily accessible and very straight-to-the-point.’
Boulogne-Billancourt City (92)
EPA France in Marne la Vallée
Conseil régional de la Réunion
Conseil Départemental des Hauts-de-Seine
- Advising new public law entity dedicated to Olympics’ work Solideo on the drafting and negotiation of contracts with Paris 2024 and various project owners and developers, as well as on the creation of the Olympics and Paralympics Village urban zone.
- Assisting the City of Boulogne-Billancourt in dealing with judicial mediation proceedings involving associations and local residents challenging the current Ile Seguin’s local urban planning rules.
- Assisting public sector planning entity EPA FRANCE Marne-la-Vallée in renegotiating the current urban land protocol signed between the Disney group, the State and several other local authorities regarding the development of several theme parks in the Marne-la-Vallée area.
FTPA’s broad range of expertise allows the group to assist with a variety of matters, including regulatory and public sector contract issues. The four-lawyer team is notably handling highly strategic advisory and litigation work in the railway sector. The practice is also retained by many leading French industrial companies to advise on the structuring of complex contracts. Hospitals and universities are also clients, as well as prestigious cultural museums and institutions. Raphaël Crespelle is highly recommended.
‘The team is strong and its advice and litigation work shows great reliability. They are always careful to find solutions to any problems. Clients feel safe and comfortable in their hands.’
‘The firm shows great public law contract expertise and extremely good responsiveness. They provide efficient and practical solutions.’
‘Raphaël Crespelle leads a highly skilled and outstanding team with efficiency and great proficiency.’
Gibson Dunn has a very stable four-lawyer team with in-depth expertise in public economic law. The firm is retained by high-profile companies, including CAC 40 and major insurance companies, as well as leading players from various sectors, governmental bodies and state-owned and private entities. It is currently advising on a major privatisation project, and handles very complex regulatory issues mixing public, private and European law aspects, notably in the insurance sector. The firm is also dealing with high-stake structured loans litigation concluded between banks and public local entities. Additionally, it is advising on strategic regulatory and litigation matters in the coal and gas sectors. Finally, the firm is often called upon to assist in dealing with politically sensitive files and recently advised several companies on anti-corruption Sapin II compliance programmes. Practice head Nicolas Baverez is a highly sought-after adviser. Of counsels Nicolas Autet and Maïwenn Beas are also highly experienced.
‘The team is competent, available and offers very high-quality services. It fully understands customers’ expectations when dealing with highly technical topics. The team also has a strong political sense on how litigation can be used to change the law.’
‘Nicolas Baverez is very solid and easy to work with. He is calm and collected when trouble arises and helps clients see reason instead of opting for short-term struggles.’
Goutal Alibert & Associés
Goutal Alibert & Associés is entirely focused on providing assistance to public sector entities. The firm houses some 30 public law specialists who are spread between its main Parisian office and five other locations across the country. The practice is retained by numerous prestigious cultural institutions and museums to advise on day-to-day matters and on key projects. The firm, which has recognised public contracts and projects expertise, has also been selected to advise on several major Paris 2024 Olympics Games related infrastructure projects such as the construction of the Olympics Aquatic Stadium and the Arena 2. Finally, the firm also handles criminal public law work and is consulted by clients to provide guidance on Sapin II anti-corruption law requirements and newly raised issues touching on ethics, equality and secularism. Yvon Goutal and Florence Alibert are recommended. Also involved are: Aurélie Aveline, Sophie Banel, Samuel Dyens and Philippe Peynet.
Yvon Goutal; Florence Alibert
Joffe & Associés
Joffe & Associés has strong regulatory expertise through Mathieu Gaudemet who was retained by French national rail company SNCF to assist the company in dealing with landmark work in relation to its restructuring project. The three-lawyer comprehensive practice, which advises prominent private operators and public sector companies, also advises on strategic public economic law and public procurement issues. It is handling several litigation files and also provides urban planning law expertise.
‘A skillful team which always finds the best practical solutions.’
‘The firm has excellent expertise.’
‘Mathieu Gaudemet understands very well the environment surrounding each and every file he is dealing with.’
AÉROPORTS DE PARIS
CLUB MED SAS
GIP SANTE NUMERIQUE HAUT DE FRANCE
ORDRE NATIONALE DES PHARMACIENS
- Assisting SNCF Mobilités’ Transilien branch with its negotiations with STIF regarding new rail-links operating agreements for 2020-2023.
- Assisted SNCF Réseau with the merging under SNCF Réseau of all its 3,000 metropolitan stations.
- Defending Gespace in a dispute initiated by the Ile-de-France Region against several construction companies bidding for the renovation of 100 schools.
KGA Avocats assists a highly prominent client base, made up of many leading companies which are key players in the defence, aerospace and entertainment sectors. The eight-lawyer team combines high-level public-law contract and construction expertise which earns it instructions on high-profile infrastructure projects. The team is notably working on the landmark new Grand Paris Express metro network project. Litigation is another strong field of expertise, while the firm also tackles complex regulatory issues in the energy and telecoms sector. Eve Derouesné and Marc Sénac de Monsembernard, both co-heads of the practice, are highly recommended.
Eve Derouesné; Marc Sénac de Monsembernard
‘A very reactive team providing customer and practical-oriented solutions. The team covers a wide area of public law issues and has extensive experience in dealing with industrial clients and public sector entities. Lawyers have deep and wide legal expertise and show willingness and ability to understand underlying technical and financial topics.’
Société du Grand Paris
Lagardère Live Entertainment
Chambre de commerce et d’industrie Seine Estuaire
Autoroute Paris Rhin Rhône
Société d’exploitation de la Tour Eiffel
- Assisting Société du Grand Paris with the Grand Paris Express metro network project.
- Advising Seine Estuaire Chamber of Commerce on the renovation of Tancarville Bridge.
King & Spalding LLP has particular expertise handling files directly challenging the current domestic legal framework before the highest French and EU courts and whose outcomes often have decisive impacts on the future of its clients’ businesses. Headed by counsel Ruxandra Lazar, the team is notably handling such high-stake matters in various fields such as oil and gas, tobacco and university subsidies areas. It is managing key matters in which the ban of hydrocarbon and other oil and gas related exploitation activities are at stake in France. The practice also advises on major oil and gas and mining concessions. It also helps clients looking to obtain foreign authorisations during strategic transactions. French and international companies are clients.
‘The public law team is very available and responsive. It very precisely targets the expectations of customers and knows how to answer them in a complete and operational way.’
‘The firm provides excellent service. The team shows strong listening abilities and a formidable availability.’
‘Counsel Ruxandra Lazar is very attentive to customers and meets companies’ expectations. She has extensive knowledge of the mining industry and of mining law.’
Maurel & Prom
Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas
- Representing an oil company in litigation relating to hydrocarbons permits and concessions and the implementation of a law putting an end to hydrocarbons exploration and exploitation.
- Representing the Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas in proceedings against the French State before the European Court of Human Rights regarding public subsidies.
- Representing Vermilion before the administrative tribunal, the Council of State and the Constitutional Council to challenge the validity of a new law substantially increasing the level of oil royalties (a 120% increase).
At Lacourte Raquin Tatar, Vincent Guinot's particular field of expertise lies in advising leading French and international developers undertaking major property and urban development projects. He is notably assisting clients involved in the renovation of major office towers and in new urban projects consisting in the creation of mix-used office, residential and commercial areas and 'ecoquartiers'. Counsel Anne-Laure Gauthier is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provides excellent expertise in specific areas like town planning law and real estate law issues. It provides appropriate recommendations and strategic advice that meet client expectations and requirements.’
‘The team has great expertise in the field of urban planning law and has a very good knowledge of the real estate market.’
‘Vincent Guinot has impressive knowledge of town planning law and real-estate matters. He understands the business issues at stake. His technical expertise is remarkable.’
‘Counsel Anne-Laure Gauthier is highly available and demonstrates great listening abilities.’
Allianz Real Estate
LaSalle Investment Management
- Assistance to Gecina with several projects including the redevelopment of Tour Ibox and of Peugeot PSA’s former headquarters.
- Representing Total and Areva in opposing the creation of a shopping centre in La Coupole, near the companies’ office towers.
LPA-CGR avocats has ‘outstanding knowledge in planning law’ and houses some of ‘the best specialists in this field’. The firm, which ‘has a longstanding experience in real estate’, has ‘practical knowledge of what works and what doesn't, which makes a real difference’. The firm is currently playing a critical role advising and litigating in Paris’ three most significant tower projects of the last twenty years through its advice to the Tour Triangle, Tours Hermitage and Tours Duo’s projects including managing high-profile permits’ issues. The key name on that aspect is star partner Hélène Cloëz who provides ‘exact analysis of the situations, is well known by all the public and private-sector stakeholders’ and whose ‘answers are always tailored to secure her clients’ situation’. Equally, the firm’s regulatory expertise in the energy renewables sector is among the best in France. It is currently advising on several of France’s largest offshore wind projects. Finally, the team also advises on public contract and regulatory issues in other areas. Fabrice Cassin and Hélène Gelas are recommended.
Hélène Cloëz; Fabrice Cassin; Hélène Gelas
‘The firm has outstanding knowledge in planning law.’
‘The firm has longstanding experience in real estate and has practical knowledge of what works and what does not, which makes a real difference.’
‘Hélène Cloëz provides correct analysis of situations, is well known by all the public and private-sector stakeholders. Her answers are always tailored to secure her clients’ interests.’
ADP (Aéroports de Paris)
- Assisting Unibail on the Tour Triangle tower project.
- Assisting Tours Hermitage with its eponymous tower project.
- Assisting Ivanhoé Cambridge with its Tours Duo’s tower project.
McDermott Will & Emery AARPI's five-lawyer team has strong regulatory expertise, especially when it comes to tackling key matters in the energy, telecoms and transport sectors. The practice assists several major state-owned companies, as well as leading French and international operators. The firm is notably assisting a foreign new entrant in connection with the opening of the French regional railway sector market. It is also handling a strategic regulatory dispute in the telecoms area. Finally, the practice also advises on public sector procurement contracts. Sabine Naugès and Laurent Ayache co-head the practice.
Sabine Naugès; Laurent Ayache
Action Logement Groupe
- Successfully defended Aéroports de Paris’ interests in several contentious regulatory proceedings with several airline companies including disputes regarding annual tax airport charges.
- Advising European passenger transport companies Arriva Plc on the opening of the railway market and on several local bus transportation public tenders in France.
- Advising Engie’s subsidiary SHEM on the renewal of the hydroelectric concessions in France and in a dispute with EDF.
Two-lawyer boutique firm Pamina Avocats is especially recommended for dealing with strategic regulatory matters in the press and airport sectors. The firm is notably active in high-stake matters in relation to state aids received in the transport sector on behalf of leading transport companies. The firm also handles public law contract work, including handling litigation, in France and in Africa. Rémi Sermier and David Epaud are recommended.
Rémi Sermier; David Epaud
‘The team can be counted on for its high professionalism and skills of analysis. It is highly competent.’
‘The team is very skilled and always able to find legal solutions that match with clients’ business needs.’
‘The firm has strong experience of administrative regulations and public law issues.’
‘Rémi Sermier is a great expert. He is very efficient, reliable and provides very adequate analysis. He is always eager to help and has particular specialist expertise in the airport sector.’
‘David Epaud is always ready to answer his clients with precise legal analysis.’
Credit Agricole Leasing & Factoring
Conseil Supérieur des Messageries de Presse (CSMP)
Secure Identity Alliance
Syndicat des Compagnies aériennes autonomes (SCARA)
- Assisting Keolis in state aids proceedings brought before French and EU Courts in relation to financial subsidies paid to bus operators in the Ile-de-France region.
- Assisting Air France in relation to several state aid regional airport issues including in lodging a complaint to the European Commission on state aids granted to Ryanair by Montpellier Airport.
Boutique firm PARME Avocats advises major French cities and local public entities as well as private sector engineering companies and property developers. The firm notably advises on public procurement contracts. The firm also has solid urban-planning expertise, and advises on key public sector and retail projects. Finally, the firm also advises on thermal power and heating projects. The team includes practice head Xavier Matharan, Mathieu Noel, Emmanuel Guillini and new hire Tony Janvier, who joined from his own practice in 2018. The firm also hired Evguenia Dereviankine, an expert in waste, environment and custom law, who arrived in January 2020 from UGGC Avocats as the firm's new managing partner.
UNIVERSITÉ CLAUDE BERNARD
DEMATHIEU & BARD
DÉPARTEMENT DES BOUCHES DU RHÔNE
DEPARTEMENT DE LA HAUTE SAVOIE
METROPOLE DE DIJON
GENERALI REAL ESTATE
IEM (GROUPEMENT INTERMARCHE)
IRSN (INSTITUT DE RADIOPROTECTION ET DE SURETE NUCLEAIRE)
KAUFMAN & BROAD
LE CIEL DE PARLY
VILLE DE MARSEILLE
MINISTÈRE DES AFFAIRES ETRANGERES
MINISTÈRE DE L’ÉCOLOGIE
MINISTERE DE L’INTERIEUR
REGION HAUTS DE FRANCE
REGION ILE DE FRANCE
VILLE DE RUNGIS
- Advising SYCTOM’s consortium on Ivry-Paris XIII’s waste incineration plant reconstruction project.
- Assisting FIB Promotion with the necessary administrative approvals required for the creation of new commercial project LA RUE LA DEFENSE in Courbevois-La Défense.
- Assisting the City of Paris with the extension project of the tramway T3.
Public law boutique Schmitt Avocats combines strong public law contract, litigation, urban planning and commercial development expertise. The eight-lawyer firm serves private companies and also other law firms. It advises a highly prominent client base made up of many leading names from the oil, space and defence industries. The practice is also managing several strategic public law contract-related litigation, notably involving the defence and healthcare sectors. Practice head Olivier Schmitt, Antoine Tabouis, Elias Berkani and Romain Douineau are recommended. Headed by Emmanuel Bachelier, the firm also has a strong practice in the public real estate sector, advising major players. It recently provided assistance with expropriation issues.
‘The firm combines extensive expertise in public business law with flexibility and due diligence in the processing of the files. The team is friendly, close to its clients and always has good advice.’
‘The team is excellent, user-friendly and practical.’
‘The firm has great experience in public law in relation to the construction and infrastructure sectors. The team is responsive and practical.’
‘Olivier Schmitt has a broad public law and administrative knowledge which enables him to provides great assessment and possible strategies regarding a situation.’
‘Elias Berkani is a specialist in contracts and public domain issues.’
‘Emmanuel Bachelier is a specialist in urban planning law who provides very detailed analysis of complex legal situations.’
AEW EUROPE / AEW CILOGER
AG REAL ESTATE
AKCEA THERAPEUTICS FRANCE
BAYER HEALTHCARE FRANCE
CENTRE NATIONAL D’ÉTUDES SPATIALES (CNES)
COVIVIO (ex-Foncière des Régions)
CRÉDIT AGRICOLE IMMOBILIER
LES DOCKS DES PÉTROLES D’AMBÈS (DPA)
EURO CARGO RAIL
GLAXOSMITHKLINE (GSK) FRANCE
GROUPE CHARLES ANDRÉ (GCA) – NOVATRANS
PAUL RICARD S.A.
SIEMENS GAMESA RENEWABLE ENERGY
- Assisted Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy with the negotiation of an important lease agreement with the Grand Port Maritime du Havre in relation to a high-profile offshore wind test project.
- Successfully represented Thales before the Administrative Court of Appeal of Marseille in a dispute with Régie des transports de Marseille relating to PPP performance and compensation issues of a bus lines radio network programme.
Seban & Associés
80-lawyer boutique Seban & Associés is entirely dedicated to servicing public sector entities, including governmental, local entities and other public sector entities such as museums, state-owned companies and public financial institutions to whom it provides public, private and criminal law expertise. The public law expertise spans a comprehensive range including public law contracts, projects and urban planning law. The firm recently advised on several large-scale regional broadband internet projects. It also assisted several regions with new urban development projects. The firm also handles work in the energy sector and advises on environmental law. The firm has offices in Paris, Lyon and in five other regional locations. The practice is co-headed by founding partner Didier Seban, Marie-Hélène Pachen-Lefèvre, Thomas Rouveyran, Guillaume Gauch, Alexandre Vandepoorter, Lorène Carrère, Aloïs Ramel and Solenne Daucé.
Didier Seban; Marie-Hélène Pachen-Lefèvre; Thomas Rouveyran; Guillaume Gauch; Alexandre Vandepoorter; Lorène Carrère; Aloïs Ramel; Solenne Daucé
- Advising SIPPEREC syndicat on a project consisting in the setting up of 315 electric vehicle charging points in the Ile-de-France region.
- Advising Syndicat Mixte MEGALIS Bretagne on a public procurement contract consisting in the setting up of a large broadband internet network.
- Advising Syndicat Mixte Tarn et Garonne numérique with a public procurement contract for the setting up of a large broadband internet network.
Sekri Valentin Zerrouk
Sekri Valentin Zerrouk ’s five-lawyer team covers public law contract, environmental law, urban planning and regulatory issues. It is retained by private companies and public sector entities. Headed by Yamina Zerrouk, the practice is appointed on high-profile matters. It notably advised on a landmark privatisation file. The urban-planning expertise, especially in the commercial area, is also first class and highly sought after for undertaking strategic projects. Litigation is also dealt with.
CORSICA COMMERCIAL CENTER
UNITED TECHNOLOGIES CORP
- Assisting Corsica Commercial Center with 20 judicial recourses launched by various competitors (Carrefour, Casino, Auchan) to obtain the cancellation of permits regarding the building and operation of Corsica’s biggest mall under the E. Leclerc brand.
- Assisting Corsica Linea in a dispute resulting from the transfer of public shipping services between France and Corsica, formerly operated by SNCM.
- Assisting Naval Group in disputes with the Defence Ministry regarding public procurements.
Taylor Wessing started its public law and project practice with the hiring of a team from Bird & Bird made up of public law expert Sophie Pignon and finance specialists Eric Charvillat and Sophie Nicolas, a counsel. The practice has a strong focus on greenfield and brownfield infrastructure projects and PPP, advising banks, sponsors and local public sector entities alike. It is advising on several large broadband infrastructure projects across the country, as well as on various projects in other fields, including handling several matters in Africa.
- Advised Crédit Foncier de France and Caisse d’Epargne et de Prévoyance Ile-de-France on the partnership agreement relating to the financing, the design, the construction and the maintenance of two high schools.
- Advised Mirova on the acquisition of a 49% stake in Axione, a subsidiary of Bouygues Energies & Services.
- Advised Altitude Infrastructure on the awarding and financing of a high-speed communication network infrastructure project in the Department of Tarn et Garonne.
UGGC Avocats has a strong 13-lawyer team whose expertise is particularly sought after for public law contracts and public infrastructure projects. The firm is appointed by the French state, governmental entities and state-owned companies, as well as prominent cultural institutions and private contractors and operators. The firm is notably advising on several landmark transport projects including the Grand Paris Express and the new Lyon-Turin rail tunnel projects. It is also assisting the French State and the Ministry of Culture with the Notre-Dame rehabilitation project. Finally, the scope of expertise is large and also spans urban planning law and regulatory work. The highly regarded Thierry Dal Farra is in charge. Also involved are Philippe Hansen and Franck Lepron. Evguenia Dereviankine joined PARME Avocats in January 2020.
Thierry Dal Farra
French Ministry of Culture
Château de Versailles Public Entity
Banque de France
Conair Group Inc.
Cité de la Musique – Philharmonie
- Assisting the French State and the Ministry of Culture with Notre-Dame’s rehabilitation project.
- Assisting Systra as project manager of the Grand Paris Express transport project.
- Advising a consortium including Spie and Eiffage on the construction of the Lyon-Turin tunnel and high-speed railway.
Boutique firm AdDen avocats is dedicated to public and environmental law. It combines some 38 lawyers, spread out across six offices in France (Paris, Bordeaux, Marseille, Nice, Lyon and Nantes). The firm stands out for its strong urban planning law expertise which is sought after by leading developers and companies. The practice is notably adept at securing and defending permits in relation to major public infrastructure, shopping malls, tourism and office towers projects. It also regularly advises on permits issues in the railway sector and on general public law, public procurement and environmental law issues. Key names within the ten-partner team include Elsa Sacksick, Nicolas Nahmias, Laurent Férignac, Leïla Gosseye and new hire Alexia Robbes , who joined from Baker McKenzie, adding further strength in urban planning law.
Elsa Sacksick; Nicolas Nahmias; Laurent Férignac; Leïla Gosseye; Alexia Robbes
- Advised Hammerson on due diligence as well as on planning and commercial authorisations required in relation to the sale of the Italie 2 Paris shopping centre.
- Advised Axa Reim SGP on the acquisition of a residential and commercial complex in Paris.
BCTG Avocats' seven-lawyer team has leading regulatory and litigation expertise in the domestic renewables sector. It is involved in France’s largest onshore and offshore wind projects and successfully handled high-stake permit litigation regarding Saint Nazaire, Fécamp and Courseulles-sur-mer’s offshore projects. The energy regulatory expertise was also retained by Total Direct Energies in launching several disputes with the French grid operator regarding regulated solar tariffs. In addition, the practice advises on public procurement contracts and handles mining and gas work. Practice head Paul Elfassi and counsel Nelsie Bergès are recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘A highly responsive and highly involved team.’
‘Paul Elfassi keeps his temper, is very nice to work with and always looks for a solution.’
VSB ENERGIES NOUVELLES
- Assisting CONSORTIUM EOLIEN MARITIME FRANC with litigation issues concerning the Saint Nazaire, Fécamp and Courseulles-sur-mer offshore wind projects.
Bersay is retained by local public entities to help with the launching of tender offers on high speed internet infrastructure throughout the country. Litigation and compliance are also dealt with. Practice head Martin Tissier is recommended.
SYNDICAT MIXTE GERS NUMERIQUE
EUROMETROPOLE DE STRASBOURG
SYNDICAT INTERCOMMUNAL DE L’ENERGIE ET
DE L’E-COMMUNICATION DE L’AIN
SARTHE NUMERIQUE SMO
- Advising CT Corse on setting up a tender offer relating to a 25-years concession contract to build and operate a fibre optic network in Corsica.
- Assisting Syndicat Mixte Gers Numérique with the launch of a tender relating to a 25-years concession contract to build and operate a fibre optic network in the South of France.
Eversheds Sutherland (France) LLP 's Bruno Richard assists private operators on public contract law issues. He recently dealt with several major disputes in relation to the transport sector. Louis-Narito Harada provides complementary expertise in environmental law. Of counsel François Lichère is also recommended. Boris Martor, who previously headed the practice, is now at Bird & Bird.
‘An efficient, available and pragmatic team.’
‘Bruno Richard takes into account his clients’ internal constraints and concerns, giving legal but also business-oriented advice.’
- Represented Engie Ineo in a major contractual dispute regarding a transportation network.
FIDAL has a large 45-lawyer team based in Paris and in its multiple regional offices. The practice is organised around several dedicated pools of expertise. Among those, the public law contract expertise is particularly strong and solicited regularly to advise on major public sector infrastructure procurement contracts. The practice is notably advising on several landmark Olympics' sports infrastructure projects. Urban planning is another strong area of expertise, but the firm also has solid regulatory know-how, especially in the energy and transport sectors. Finally, it is also involved in several railway and metro projects in Africa. Local public entities and private operators are clients. Jean-Sébastien Oriou chairs the practice which also includes Hugues de La Forge, Cécile Fontaine, Arnaud Charvin, Julie Claude and Marie Perritaz. The recent arrival of Olivier Schrameck, an of counsel, who held various prestigious posts within the French administration brings further in-depth regulatory expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Government of Ivory Coast
DEMATHIEU BARD IMMOBILIER
VILLE DE PARIS
VILLE DE SAINT DENIS
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATION
Ville de Versailles
Métropole du Grand Paris
- Advising a consortium composed of CDC, Vinci Construction and S-Pass on the renovation-extension of Grand Nancy’s Zenith performance hall.
- Assistance CDC’s consortium with the reconstruction of Lille’s Forum building project.
- Advising Eiffage on the restoration of the Ilôt Perrée building and on the installation of a new police station.
Foley Hoag provides assistance to French and international companies, local governmental entities, and professional federations and industries' representatives bodies. The five-lawyer team has particular expertise in advising clients from the energy and waste management sectors, especially on contentious and non-contentious regulatory issues. Urban planning law is also dealt with. Frédéric Scanvic and Corentin Chevallier are in charge.
Frédéric Scanvic; Corentin Chevallier
- Assisted Covaldem on a waste management contract and related litigation issues.
Headed by Jérôme Michel, Franklin's team focuses on tackling regulatory work, while increasingly advising on public sector contracts and litigation arising from them. The team also assists clients with public domain, urban planning and environment law, especially clients from the real estate and renewables sectors. The practice advises public and private sector companies, including international ones. It is representing French electricity grid operator Enedis in a series of disputes. Former of counsel Jean-Pierre Delvigne joined Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP as partner.
‘Jérôme Michel is involved, responsive and very proficient.’
- Advising French electricity grid operator Enedis in a series of disputes, including strategic mass litigation, challenging the installation of Linky smart meters in various locations across France.
Genesis Avocats has strong urban planning advisory and litigation expertise through Isabelle Cassin who assists promoters, developers, builders and several local public entities. She is currently advising on several landmark projects in relation to the building of commercial and tourism centres, an office tower and an hippodrome. Marie-Yvonne Benjamin is recommended for complex public law contracts and infrastructure projects. She is advising on several major infrastructure projects in the French Indies.
Isabelle Cassin; Marie-Yvonne Benjamin
Département du LOIRET
Commune de GRIMAUD
PIERRE & VACANCES
- Assisting the public entity of Saint Martin Island with the launch of procurement projects for the construction of a seaport and harbour redevelopment.
- Advising Icade on the construction of a public hospital in Guadeloupe.
- Representing a client in building permit litigation regarding the renovation of one of Paris’ main hippodromes.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP represents French and international sponsors and lenders. The practice notably advises on public sector contracts and projects. It has a strong presence in the energy sector where it provides regulatory and project advice on landmark matters. The team has recently been busy advising on heating concessions and on brownfield transactions pertaining to various public infrastructure assets such as car parks. Another significant mandate was advising the Caisse des dépôts et consignations on the headline CDG Express airport shuttle project. Christophe Lefort and of counsel Mathias Dantin co-head the practice.
Christophe Lefort; Mathias Dantin
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
EDF, IFC and Government of Cameroon
- Advising Caisse des dépôts et consignations on the CDG Express project.
- Advising Spie Batignolles on the sale of its vehicle parking activities to INDIGO.
Magenta is a great independent boutique specialising in competition law and regulatory matters. The four-lawyer practice has strong knowledge of the telecoms, transport and energy sectors in which it is involved in several major regulatory disputes. The main practitioners are practice head Vincent Jaunet, Sylvain Justier and counsel Fanny Mahler. In addition to her strong regulatory expertise, Mahler isequally recommended for her public contract and PPP advisory and litigation expertise.
‘The team provides a Magic Circle standard of service.’
‘The team is efficient, proactive and responsive.’
‘Fanny Mahler is responsive and shows great analysis abilities. Her expertise and ability to handle any situation make her a partner of choice in difficult negotiations. She is an excellent professional.’
ARENADOUR CAPITAL AND SAGESSE SANTE RETRAITE
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
Compagnie Maritime Marfret
- Assisting CDC with the creation of Arte Education.
- Advising Arenadour Capital and SRS with their proposed acquisition of Compagnie de Vichy which operates the state’s owned Vichy spa.
- Assisting shipping company Marfret in a dispute pending before administrative courts in relation to tendering procedures launched by the Ministry of Defence for the award of public procurement contracts.
To re-launch its public law practice, Norton Rose Fulbright hired Marion Roquette-Pfister as partner in 2018 from Clifford Chance where she was counsel. The team advises major private companies as well as several public sector entities. The range of expertise covers public law contract and regulatory issues. In addition, the practice has in-depth expertise of the healthcare and transport sector and advises key public and private sector players on strategic matters in these sectors, including major pharmaceutical companies.
TOTAL MARKETING France
Tokyo Electron Ltd
- Advising PFIZER France on public procurement contracts concluded with public hospitals.
- Advising BOMBARDIER Transport France BT on the validity of the RATP’s call for tenders for the supply of new generation trains.
Racine ’s ten-lawyer team combines strong urban planning, public law contract and regulatory expertise, but also demonstrates strength in litigation. It is instructed by leading corporations and developers as well as by major cities and public local entities. The firm is advising on several important projects. Thierry Gallois, Sylvain Bergès and Damien Richard co-head the practice.
Thierry Gallois; Sylvain Bergès; Damien Richard
‘The team is available and proficient. It shows a great understanding of matters, provides practical answers and a great follow-up on matters.’
RWE / Innogy
Port Autonome de Paris
Grand Nancy Thermal
- Assisting the PACA region with the transformation of the Villa Méditerranée in Marseille.
- Advising Macéo and the Massif Central region on an ambitious innovation development project.
- Acting for the city of Bordeaux in a dispute related to water distribution pollution.
Reinhart Marville Torre's three-lawyer team advises private operators as well as several local public regional entities. Headed by Lionel Levain, the practice has solid public law contract expertise. It is advising on several public law contract tender offers and handling litigation in various areas, especially in the transport sector. The team also has urban law expertise.
La Française de l’Energie
Lagardère Travel Retail
Région Ile de France
Corsica Ferries France
- Representing Smovengo’s consortium in all its public law matters related to the awarding and the performance of a procurement contract over Paris’ Vélib bike sharing system.
- Advised Moventia on the acquisition of Car Postal France.
- Assistance to Française de l’Energie and Gazonor in litigation proceedings before administrative courts initiated against the Environment Ministry regarding exclusive hydrocarbons exploration licences and damage claims.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Watson Farley & Williams LLP has a strong focus on advising developers and investors on the building, financing and acquisition of domestic renewables energy farm projects. The ten-lawyer practice also advises on public infrastructure contracts in other areas. It is notably assisting the Ministry of Defence on several major tender projects. Laurent Battoue is in charge. Arnaud Troizier is the other key name in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has good on-the-ground experience, and a strong ability to turn complex ideas into succinct and meaningful outputs.’
‘Laurent Battoue is very reactive, practical, efficient and solution-oriented.’
‘Arnaud Troizier has strong expertise advising on public-private partnerships and public law contracts. He is very responsive and makes himself available for his clients. He provides excellent advice.’
Amundi Transition Energétique
BTP Impact Local
French Ministry of Defence
- Advising Renault and the Fonds de modernisation écologique des transports’ consortium on the set-up of a joint project company specialising in stationary energy storage systems using electric vehicle batteries.
- Advising the French Ministry of Defence on the implementation of the A400M aircraft programme.
- Advising Amundi Transition Energétique on a partnership agreement with Dalkia to support the development of renewable heating networks in France.
Christophe Lapp ; Louis des Cars ; François Muller
- Representing Bouygues before administrative courts in relation to a cartel case on public works contracts.
Gérard Falala ; Vincent Drain
Monnaie de Paris
Grand Paris Aménagement
Ministère de la transition écologique
- Representing the Fédération française des transports de personnes sur réservation in challenging a new governmental order favouring taxi drivers before the French administrative Supreme Court (Conseil d’Etat).
Other key lawyers:
‘Sébastien Pinot has extensive knowledge of the market. He is an outstanding professional who systematically delivers high standards, accurate and timely advice in the field of public financing, administrative law and sector specific regulations’.
Grand Port Maritime du Havre
CHU de Rouen
CHU de Reims
Ministry of Economy & Finance
DGFIP (Part of the Ministry of Economy & Finance)
Ministry of Culture
Grand Port Maritime de Nantes
Agence Française anticorruption
- Representing the Ministry of Economy (DGFIP division) in a dispute with Orange Business Services as service provider of software solutions.
- Assisted exploration company Ocean Infinity on the conclusion of PPP with the French state regarding a search and found mission for submarine La Minerve which was recently found in July 2019.
- Advising Ademe with financing aspects regarding a landmark floating wind farms project in France.
Claisse & Associés
Other key lawyers:
Yves-René Guillou ; Thomas Laffargue ; Florence David ; Bruno Kern ; Karim Hamri ; Jean-Philippe Debats
‘A responsive team providing high quality work’.
Groupe Hospitalier Sud Francilien
Bouygues Bâtiment Ile de France
Centre hospitalier de Créteil
Eau de Paris
Aéroport de Guadeloupe
Université de Strasbourg
- Assisted Transalp Renouvellement SAS in a mediation process with SNCF regarding the renewal of a rapid response tracks procurement contract.
- Representing Bouygues Telecom before administrative courts in relation to the deployment of its network nationwide.
- Advising La Poste on the creation of a central purchasing body.
- Advised the Regional council of Guadeloupe on the implementation of a regular passenger sea transport service.
‘Jocelyn Duval is a reference for public law, environment and urban law issues. He is reliable and provides precise, spot-on and constructive advice and high-quality analysis’.
REGION ILE DE FRANCE
VINCI AIRPORTS – AEROPORTS DU GRAND OUEST
CHEVRILLON & COMPAGNIE
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
- Advising REGION ILE DE FRANCE in a dispute regarding delays and costs regarding construction work of an Olympics’ site.
- Assistance of Neoen in dealing with judicial recourse launch against building permits and operating license of a wind farm project composed of 18 wind turbines.
Sophie Lapisardi ; Agnès Boudin
Other key lawyers:
‘Senior associate Marianna Frison-Rocherès is thorough, quickly grasps matters at stake and addresses them with pertinent advice.
Noël Chahid-Nouraï ; Geoffroy Berthon
‘The team has excellent technical expertise and great knowledge of the French PPP sector. Lawyers are available and practical. They find the right solution to conclude negotiations favourably, sometimes in a very difficult context. They are also very proactive.’
‘Senior counsel Noël Chahid-Nouraï is very experienced and his remarkable analysis abilities are a precious asset.’
‘Geoffroy Berthon has excellent technical expertise and finds the right tone to make everyone around the table agree. He combines great technique and finesse.’
French Ministry for Ecological and Inclusive Transition
Tunnel Euralpin Lyon Turin (TELT)
French Ministry of Economy and Finance
Société du Grand Paris
Vinci Construction France
Allianz Global Investors
Arkéa Banque Entreprises et Institutionnels
Caisse d’Épargne et de Prévoyance de Midi-Pyrénées
Crédit Foncier de France
La Banque Postale
Bouygues Bâtiment Nord-Est
Aéroport du Grand Ouest
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC)
AXA REIM France
Bolloré Transport & Logistics
- Advising the lender of a Transdev-led consortium on the bidding for the concession of the operation of the future Charles-de-Gaulle Express railway shuttle.
- Advising Société du Grand Paris on the landmark Grand Paris Express transport network project.
- Advising Eiffage and Aéroport Marseille Provence in bidding for the Lille Airport new concession tender offer.
Alexandre Le Mière
RETAIL & CONNEXIONS
- Assisting CRAM with its public performance contract on Le Havre’s heating system.
- Assistance to Retail & Connexions in litigation proceedings with Be Gourmet.
SCP Sartorio Lonqueue Sagalovitsch & Associés
Jean-Philippe Sorba ; Xavier Guichaoua
‘The firm demonstrates exceptional expertise’.
‘A small team entirely focused on serving its clients’ interests’.
‘Virginie Lachaut-Dana is a very good lawyer on urban planning law issues. She is 100% involved, responsive and proactive. She is remarkable, efficient and thorough’.
Wilhelm & Associés
Marie-Anne Renaux ; Delphine d’Albert des Essarts
‘Delphine d’Albert des Essarts and Marie-Anne Renaux’s team is extremely skilled and creative in the field of urban planning law’.
‘Delphine d’Albert des Essarts always provides the best legal and strategic solutions. She always takes position, and is not scared to adopt daring positions that always have led to success, especially before courts’.
LES ARCHES METROPOLES
- Assisting FREY GROUP on the realisation of several commercial, hotel and office building projects in France.
- Assisting LEROY MERLIN FRANCE in obtaining commercial administrative authorisations necessary to construct and open a new commercial building in Villeneuve-lès-Béziers.