Real estate and construction in Finland
Avance Attorneys Ltd's strength lies in high-value transactional work, where it advises on the buy and sell-side of domestic and cross-border transactions for investment funds, asset managers and development funds; the group also assists with real estate development matters. In a recent highlight, the team advised Hemsö on its €200m acquisition of the Helsinki Court House. The practice is jointly led by Christoffer Charpentier and Mathias Lindqvist, who are praised by clients for their 'high level of knowledge' and 'strong track record' in real estate deals.
Christoffer Charpentier; Mathias Lindqvist
‘Very professional and deal-savvy team.‘
‘High level of expertise within real estate, construction and financing.‘
‘Mathias Lindqvist is one of the strongest real estate transaction partners in the country, very commercial and can handle a lot of complexity. Henrikki Tahkokallio is a super-solid senior associate, my pick for when the going gets tough and I want to rely on someone 100%.‘
‘Eeva Riivari is a good associate.‘
‘We have worked with Avance since 2015. We chose to work with them due to a high-level of expertise within real estate, construction and financing. Also being a smaller law firm compared to some others, we value their entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to assist us in all matters related to our projects.‘
‘Mr. Christoffer Charpentier: thorough understanding of all real estate related matters Mrs. Eeva Riivari: Hard working person who makes sure all details are solved.‘
YIT Construction and HGR Property Partners
Nordic Real Estate Partners (NREP)
Sirius Capital Partners
NCC Property Development
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Fennia Asset Management Ltd
Cobbleyard Real Estate
- Advised Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield on the disposal of its 34% stake in the Jumbo shopping centre in Helsinki to current co-owner Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company.
- Advised Hemsö on its acquisition of the Helsinki Court House for €200m.
- Advised NCC Property Development on the sale of its Fredriksberg office project in Helsinki.
Castrén & Snellman's experienced team of specialist real estate lawyers handle complex development projects and high-value transactions for domestic and international buyers and sellers. The team is currently advising YIT on the Garden Helsinki project, a multi-functional development in central Helsinki that includes residential, entertainment and office properties. Other clients include OP Financial Group, Sponda and Finnish Real Estate. The practice is jointly led by Antti Kaakkola and Matti Lajunen, who both made partner in 2019, alongside experienced lawyers Matias Wallgren, Uwe Uusitalo and Tuomas Lehtinen.
Antti Kaakkola; Matti Lajunen; Matias Wallgren; Uwe Uusitalo; Tuomas Lehtinen
‘Full house services for real estate, excellent experience.‘
‘Good understanding of business both transactions and asset management.‘
‘Talented and practical professionals.’
OP Financial Group
Special Mutual Fund Titanium Care Real Estate
GLL Pan European Property Fund
Special Investment Fund eQ Care
Special Investment Fund eQ Finnish Real Estate
Catella Real Estate AG
RBS Nordisk Renting
Suomen Osuuskauppojen Keskuskunta
GLL Real Estate Partners GmbH Munich
Turun Ratapihan Kehitys Oy
CapMan Real Estate Oy
- Advised OP Life Assurance Company on the sale of a mixed-use retail and office building located in Aleksanterinkatu 15, Helsinki.
- Advising YIT on the Garden Helsinki project, a major real estate development project to be realised in a central location close to the heart of the Finnish capital.
- Assisted Nord Stream 2 with the Finnish permit process for a twin sub-sea natural gas pipeline system.
Hannes Snellman's practice acts on real estate transactions, development projects, asset management issues and construction matters for industrial clients, particularly in the energy sector; other clients include real estate investment funds, portfolio holders and constructors. The team regularly handles major portfolio transactions and M&A transactions for real estate funds. The practice is jointly led by Tapio Teräkivi, who has substantial experience in complex real estate transactions and projects in the wind and hydro-power industries, and newly promoted partner Maria Landtman.
Tapio Teräkivi; Maria Landtman
‘Mr. Tapio Teräkivi is considered the #1 real estate lawyer in Finland. He has exceptional experience on large and complex deals, which he can get executed smoothly. Very tough negotiator, but understands the business behind the issue and is always solution driven.‘
Schroder Real Estate Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
Patrizia Immobilien AG
Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management
J.P. Morgan Asset Management
Skandia Fastigheter AB
Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company
- Advised DWS on its acquisition of a residential portfolio comprising 542 apartments from Lehto Group.
- Advised Metsähallitus on its divestment of a pre-construction stage wind power project to OX2.
- Advised Wereldhave on its divestment of the Itis shopping centre to a fund advised by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing.
Kari Marttinen and Jari Tuomala co-head the practice at HPP Attorneys, which has expanded its expertise in high-value transactions and development projects with the arrival of Leif Laitinen from Aleksandra Attorneys Ltd. Clients span international investment funds including AIG and Sponda, and matters range from office and residential property acquisitions to cross-border construction projects. In a recent mandate, the team advised Keilaniemen Kiinteistökehitys on a complex €300m development project involving a newly built hotel and office and residential buildings in Espoo, Finland.
Kari Marttinen; Jari Tuomala
‘Very professional. Excellent dynamic within the team.‘
‘Understands customer needs and situation.‘
Projekti GH Oy
Finest Bay Area
Elite Finland Added Value Fund II Ky
Elite Alfred Berg
Auratum Real Estate
Elite Real Estate Development Fund I Ky
City of Helsinki
Grand Residence Development Oy
Collector Bank AB
Patrizia Finland Oy
Plantagen Finland Oy
AIG Europe Limited
CGI Finland Oy
- Advised SBB – Samhällsbyggnadsbolageti Norden on its $142m acquisition of a portfolio of 48 healthcare properties from Special Investment Fund eQ Car, the largest private social infrastructure owner in Finland.
- Advising Keilaniemen Kiinteistökehitys on a development project which will consist of a newly built hotel, office and housing buildings in the Keilaniemi area in Espoo, Finland, valued at around €300m.
- Assisted Aalto University Foundation with the sale of a real estate property portfolio to eQ Care Special Investment Fund.
Marcus Möller and newly-promoted partner Joakim Jansson head up the team at Krogerus, which has strong capabilities in real estate transactions across all asset classes, development projects, leasings and construction matters, and fields an extensive team of specialists. Clients include domestic real estate funds and foreign investors. The team has recently advised on a number of high-profile transactions including Wereldhave's sale of the Itis shopping centre in Helsinki to a fund advised by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing.
Marcus Möller; Joakim Jansson
‘A large and well-respected team in real estate matters.’
‘An excellent, dedicated, and very much client-oriented team.’
‘In-depth knowledge of private equity real estate.’
‘Marcus Möller is one of the pre-eminent partners in complex real estate deals in the country. He can handle the most complex deals and support also in commercial negotiations.‘
‘Marcus Möller is an excellent negotiator and appears to always be available with great energy and enthusiasm for all cases and situations, truly a pleasure to work with. Kalle Hakkarainen surely is a rising star, very dedicated and into all details, yet has the ability to see the big picture and to find solutions. Both very efficient and trustworthy.‘
‘Exceptionally efficient and productive to work with both Pyry Somervuori and Marcus Möller. You always get the feeling that they listen and represent the customer. Also the advice they give is clear and timely.‘
Avant Capital Partners Oy
AXA Real Estate Investment Managers
Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Lehto Group Plc
LocalTapiola Mutual Insurance Company
Ragde Eiendom AS
Savills Investment Management LLP
United Bankers Plc
Catella Residential Investment Management
Round Hill Capital
JMB Kiinteistöt Oy
Northern Horizon Capital
- Advising Wereldhave on the sale of the Itis shopping centre in Helsinki to a fund advised by Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing.
- Advising LocalTapiola Real Estate Capital Funds on the divestment of its residential platform to Aberdeen Standard Investment.
- Acting for Lehto Asunnot, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lehto Group, on an agreement to build and sell a residential property portfolio consisting of 542 apartments to DWS.
Roschier has a strong track record in transactional real estate work, where the team acts for a number of international investors; the group recently handled the first Finnish real estate purchase made by Cromwell and also advised clients on portfolio transactions, retail, office and residential property transactions, and development projects. Mika Alanko leads the practice, and has extensive experience in transactions, financing work, and real estate deal structuring matters.
‘When we have a complicated real estate transaction in Finland we usually appoint Roschier because we know that they get the job done.‘
‘Antti-Jussi Partanen is our go-to-person in the Helsinki office. He is extremely dedicated to a transaction, has an excellent understanding of the Finnish and international market practice and has very strong negotiating skills.‘
Deka Immobilien GmbH
Union Investment Real Estate GmbH
AXA Real Estate
CBRE Global Investors
UBS Real Estate GmbH
HANSAINVEST Hanseatische Investment GmbH
Savills Investment Management
Hemfosa Fastigheter AB
CapMan Real Estate
Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate GmbH
GIC (the Singapore Sovereign Wealth Fund)
eQ Finnish Real Estate
Orion Capital Managers
M7 Real Estate
Telia Finland Oyj
Corpus Sireo Real Estate GmbH
Pareto Securities AB
Cromwell European Real Estate Investment Trust (CEREIT)
Royal Areena Oy
- Acted for NREP on the €66m sale of the Dixi shopping centre to Special Investment Fund eQ Finnish Real Estate.
- Advised Corpus Sireo Real Estate on the acquisition of the new Fredriksberg A office property from NCC for Swiss Life Asset Managers.
- Advised Telia Finland on the sale of its existing headquarters to YIT Construction.
Aleksandra Attorneys Ltd
Boutique firm Aleksandra Attorneys Ltd specialises in high-value transactions and primarily advises real estate funds which have a focus on cross-border investments. Samuli Palin leads the practice, which acts for a range of international and Nordic clients; Palin and the 'talented and thorough' Rami Laatsalo advised German fund Commerz on the acquisition of the Tripla Workery office complex, which is part of Finland's largest urban development project. Leif Laitanen joined HPP Attorneys in early 2019.
‘Flexible and innovative team with a long and wide experience in real estate.’
‘An extremely committed attitude to every assignment. A very flexible and professional way to work in stressful situations. Ability to find a compromise solution even in difficult situations.’
‘Rami Laatsalo – A very experienced and professional way to work and find solutions to even the toughest issues. Analytical and pragmatic ability to justify arguments.‘
‘Rami Laatsalo and Ville Myllymaki truly know the legislative and business framework of the Finnish real estate field.‘
‘Samuli Palin has a long track record in real estate transactions.‘
‘Very good and flexible team, deep understanding of market practice.‘
‘Aleksandra has a small, specialised team, who have a very deep understanding of the business side of things, not only legal. The whole team is very hands-on and you can always rely on their great quality of work.’
‘Samuli Palin is one of the most experienced lawyers in the business / market. He has an exceptional understanding of the commercial side of the business and he can reflect that smoothly into the legal side of the matters.‘
‘Service minded. Extremely solutions oriented.‘
Cibus Nordic Real Estate
Sirius Capital Partners
CapMan Real Estate
UB Nordic Property
Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company
OP Real Estate
Veritas Pension Insurance Company
- Advised Commerz Real Investmentgesellschaft, which was acting for the open-ended real estate fund Hausinvest, on its acquisition of the Tripla Workery office complex.
- Advised Genesta Nordic Real Estate, acting for Genesta GNRE II Holdings, on its divestment of the extensively refurbished landmark office property located in the Helsinki CBD.
- Advised OP Real Estate Asset Management, acting for OP-Rental Yield, on its acquisition of a prime residential portfolio.
Borenius handles high-value real estate transactions and development projects and advises an array of international investors including Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Capman on the buy and sell side of transactions. The team also works on major infrastructure and construction projects in the energy sector. Practice co-heads Saara Paronen, Christian Fogelholm and Ari Kaarakainen are experienced transactional lawyers; Paronen is regularly involved in real estate arbitration proceedings and Kaarakainen acts for foreign institutional investors on portfolio transactions. Casper Herler is a key contact for environment work.
Saara Paronen; Christian Fogelholm; Ari Kaarakainen
Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing
Aberdeen Standard Investments
CapMan Real Estate
Cromwell Property Group
Ness, Risan & Partners (NRP)
- Advised Morgan Stanley on its €516m purchase of the Itis shopping centre.
- Advised Exilion on the €130m acquisition and hotel conversion of the administrative wing of the Helsinki Central Railway Station.
- Advised Goldman Sachs and Cromwell Property Group on the €143m sale of two office properties located in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area.
DLA Piper advises a range of clients including banks and investment funds on property acquisitions, financing work and development projects. 'Outstanding professional' Mikko Larvala and Antti Niemi jointly head up the team, which works closely with a client roster of lenders and borrowers including Deutsche Bank and Olo Asunnot; Larvala advised the latter on its high-value acquisition of a residential portfolio comprising 980 units from Finnish private investors.
Mikko Larvala; Antti Niemi
‘Very talented, effective, solutions-orientated and business-minded team.’
‘Mikko Larvala is an outstanding professional and delivers value-add legal advice. As a client I appreciate his ability to see the big picture, also from the business perspective and head for pragmatic resolutions.‘
Erikoissijoitusrahasto Trevian Suomi Kiinteistöt
lmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Corum Asset Management
Agore Kiinteistöt Ky
Oy HYY-Yhtiöt Ab,
Round Hill Capital
- Advising Senate Properties on a mortgage-backed debt collection process and the related execution process concerning a historically valuable office building in the city centre of Helsinki.
- Advising HYY Yhtymä, the investment arm of the University of Helsinki, on a tender process in which it won the right to develop two blocks in the centre of Helsinki.
- Advising Olo Asunnot, an affiliate of Round Hill Capital, on the acquisition of a residential portfolio in Finland, comprising 980 units from Finnish private investors.
With notable capabilities in high-value real estate transactions on the buy and sell-side, Merilampi Attorneys Ltd is also highly active in construction work and advises on all elements of projects from planning to post-completion issues. The team is jointly led by Jani Ylä-Autio, who is an experienced transactional lawyer and advises major domestic and international real estate funds; and construction specialist Emma Niemistö, who focuses on the contentious and non-contentious elements of complex and high-risk projects.
Jani Ylä-Autio; Emma Niemistö
‘Very much client and deal oriented team.‘
‘Jani Yla-Autio is a very experienced professional, easy to work with him. Tommi Elo has good knowledge on JVs and complex structures.‘
YIT Construction Ltd
Union Investment Real Estate GmbH
Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company
South Savo Social and Health Care Authority
Fennia Asset Management
- Advised Aberdeen Standard Pan European Residential Property Fund on its acquisition of 824 privately rented apartments in the Helsinki metropolitan area. This was its first transaction in Finland.
- Advising YIT and Meridiam on the bidding process, negotiation and drafting of the extensive agreement package regarding the Espoo municipality’s PPP project.
- Advised Niam on its sale of three office properties to real estate company Kielo.
Bird & Bird has particular expertise in real estate transactions and development projects and acts for investment and real estate funds. The firm's international reach also allows the group to work closely with clients in all Nordic countries and handle cross-border mandates. The practice is led by Jaakko Hietala, who advises on transactions, development projects and financing matters; he also has a strong record in industrial development projects.
Ylva (former HYY Yhtymä / HYY Group)
- Advised NREP on a real estate development project, which involved Lujatalo constructing a new residential block in Espoo.
- Advised Elite Alfred Berg real estate fund (Elite Kiinteistökehitysrahasto I Ky) on the sale of a real estate portfolio comprised of 16 retail premises to Trophi Fastighets.
- Advised Ylva on its acquisition of the historical Seurahuone building from Sponda, a major property investor held by Blackstone.
The team at Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) has substantial experience in high-value real estate transactions, construction projects and leasing mandates and counts several key investment funds as clients. The practice is jointly led by Pekka Kokko, Saara Raitala and Sirkka Terho with construction specialist Juha Kallioinen. The group is expanding its focus on development projects and recently advised new client Ruby Hotels on the €30m acquisition and subsequent development of its first Finnish hotel property.
Pekka Kokko; Saara Raitala; Sirkka Terho; Juha Kallioinen
‘Excellent knowledge of law, ability to perceive the whole, ability to analyse risks and propose different paths of solutions.‘
‘Knowledge of law and construction, and the ability to apply it in practice.‘
Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Helsingin Yliopistokiinteistöt Oy
Quadoro Doric Real Estate GmbH
Ruby Hotels & Resorts GmbH
ISS Palvelut Oy
AVAIN Asumisoikeus Oy
- Advised Quodoro Doric on its €40m acquisition of a landmark property in Turku.
- Advised Otava on a complex €35m transaction and divestment of an almost 100 years old Helsinki downtown property.
- Advised Ruby Hotels on the €30m acquisition of its first hotel property in Finland.
Led by Arto Kaikkonen and Samuli Koskela, the practice at Lexia Attorneys Ltd handles contentious and non-contentious real estate and construction matters for a roster of construction companies, real estate owners, contractors and financiers. While the group has notable strength in traditional transactional and development work, it also has significant experience in real estate and construction disputes. Other work includes providing day-to-day advice to real estate companies and constructors including assisting with due diligence work and construction agreements; the team also advised Fira on the creation of a group building agreement for residential accommodation.
Arto Kaikkonen; Samuli Koskela
‘Flexible, innovative, pays great attention to customer needs.’
Finnish Ministry of the Environment
- Advising Fira on the formulation of a group building agreement.
- Advising on the Finnish Government’s KIRA-digi Project, which is aimed at digitalising the real estate and construction sectors.
Mäkitalo Attorneys Ltd provides advice on real estate matters to a range of property holders and public bodies, and also has a notable focus on construction projects in the energy industry including handling the construction of wind, nuclear and biomass production facilities. The team is also noted for its expertise in negotiating construction contracts, and is led by Juho Lönnblad and Aimo Halonen.
Juho Lönnblad; Aimo Halonen
‘Makitalo Rantanen & Co Ltd is experienced in the construction business and in design contracts. What impresses me is their effectiveness, good deliverance, short reaction time and easy accessibility. Makitalo Rantanen has given us strong support in wide variety of legal matters.‘
‘We have worked with Juho Lönnblad. He has outstanding intellect and integrity with excellent social skills. He understands the branch and architects obligations especially well and acts wisely searching for feasible solutions. If needed senior partner Juha Makitalo is also easy to contact. He has deep and long experience.‘
‘Experts in land lease agreements.‘
‘We have used Aimo Halonen’s and Marja Norrena’s service and expertise in issues related to land lease agreements. They know this field very well. They are capable and trustworthy lawyers.’
Finnish Wind Power Association
Parish Union of Helsinki, Evangelic Lutheran church
Parish Union of Vantaa, Evangelic Lutheran church
Suomen Hyötytuuli Oy
Aalto University Properties Ltd
SF Power Company
The City of Helsinki
- Advising Lounavoima on the construction of a €112m waste-to-energy plant in Salo, Finland.
- Advising Parish Union of Helsinki on a range of real estate matters including land lease agreements and disputes.
- Acting for Suomen Hyötytuuli, a major Finnish wind energy company, on contract law matters and contract negotiations.
Properta Attorneys Ltd
Real estate is a key area of focus for boutique firm Properta Attorneys Ltd, which focuses on handling real estate transactions and construction disputes for major domestic real estate funds and construction companies including eQ Real Estate and a subsidiary of YIT Construction. The practice is led by the experienced Ilkka Koivisto and Ilmo Korpelainen, and was notably strengthened by the arrival of Marko Mononen from Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) in mid-2018. Katja Firtser was promoted to the partnership in 2019.
lkka Koivisto; Ilmo Korpelainen
‘Ilkka Koivisto is a very skilled attorney.‘
NV Property Fund I Ky
VVT Property Fund I Ky
eQ Real Estate Funds
Julius Tallberg-Kiinteistöt Oyj
EAB Group Real Estate Funds
A. Ahlström Kiinteistöt Oy
Aktia Commercial Real Estate Fund
Finnish Pharmacy Pension Fund
- Advised the University of Vaasa on its purchase of a campus area for €26m.
- Advised VVT Property Fund I on the acquisition of the Martinlaakson Ostari shopping centre.
- Advised NV Property Fund I on the sale of a light industrial property in Kauklahti, Espoo.
Timo Airisto and Tanja Törnkvist co-lead the practice at White & Case LLP, which has a strong track record in transactional work including handling major real estate deals including office and retail property work for international investors. Other recent highlights include assisting with financing matters for banks and real estate investors.
Timo Airisto; Tanja Törnkvist
Cerberus European Investments, LLC
Deutsche Pfandbriefbank AG
Kildare Partners / Curzon Advisers
M&G European Property Fund
Nordea Bank Abp
SRV Group Plc
The Blackstone Group
- Advised M&G European Property Fund on the acquisition of a landmark office building in the centre of Helsinki.
- Advised Cerberus European Investments on the sale of a shopping centre in the Helsinki area.
Dittmar & Indrenius focuses on real estate transactions, leasing arrangements and real estate dispute resolution. The team recently advised Hansainvest Real Assets on its €135m acquisition of a building complex from Skanska. The practice is led by Antti Aaltonen.
Kai Soini and Juha Koivula head up the team at KPMG Finland, which acts for corporate clients in the real estate industry on land use, due diligence and restructuring matters; the team also has growing experience in traditional real estate transactions and development projects. Clients span listed, multinational and domestic businesses, and investment funds.
Kai Soini; Juha Koivula
‘The team functions very well and complements each other.’
‘Kai Soini has a very good combination of business and legal capabilities. Minna Poutiainen offers good knowledge of residential & commercial legal issues related to constructing.‘
‘A lot of knowledge of legal and economical matters together in one place, easy and fast to connect.‘
Pohjola Rakennus Group Oy
- Advised Fincap on the sale of a portfolio of six nursing homes including two under construction.