Tax in Estonia
Corporate tax specialist Egon Talur leads the practice at Cobalt, which handles the tax aspects of high-value transactions and restructuring, alongside general tax advice to businesses and representation in tax disputes. Clients include major banks and financial institutions, real estate funds, tourism companies, and IT and tech innovators, in line with the firm's strong client base in transactions and financing work. Talur is ably supported by senior associates Karli Kütt and Tõnu Kolts, who have expertise in VAT and cross-border tax affairs, respectively.
Danish Sjølund Group
Baltic Media Holding
- Advised European Diversified Infrastructure Fund II on the Estonian tax aspects of the acquisition of Utilitas.
- Assisted the majority shareholders of Baltic Media Holding with all tax aspects regarding the sale of its shares to Havas.
- Advised Capfield subsidiary Diarana OÜ on tax matters related to its restructuring process and business transfer.
Derling Primus advises on the tax aspects of M&A transactions and divestments, tax structuring issues and VAT matters, alongside representing clients in high-profile disputes relating to direct and indirect taxation. Rolan Jankelevitsh leads the practice; he's able to utilise his significant experience in transactions and corporate law in the tax space. Jankelevitsh advised on tax considerations relating to HeidelbergCement Group's sale of the port of Kunda to BMLG, notably handling the asset transfer. Priit Raudsepp was a new arrival as counsel in mid-2020.
JNG Investments Group
Gazpromneft Marine Bunker
- Advised Kunda Nordic Tsement (part of HeidelbergCement Group) on the tax structuring of the transfer of its port assets to BMLG Group.
- Assisting CGI Group with the Estonian tax implications of the group’s employee share purchase plan.
- Advised Piano Group on the tax implications of the franchise contract with Vapiano.
The tax practice at Ellex is integrated with the transactions team, allowing specialist tax counsel Dmitri Rozenblat to advise on tax aspects of the firm's major cross-border and domestic M&A deals. Additionally, Rozenblat also advises clients including Bolt, BaltCap, and Danske Bank on matters including restructuring, transfer of assets and the drafting of tax frameworks. The practice also provides local and international tax advice to clients and is active in tax disputes.
Saturn Investments OÜ
Ülemiste Center OÜ
3M Eesti OÜ
Estonian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Danske Bank A/S
Bolt Technology OÜ
AS LHV Group
Luminor Bank AS
Coop Pank AS
OÜ Skeleton Technologies Group
ABC Grupi AS
Amserv Grupi AS
- Advising Danske Bank A/S on complex tax matters related to the client’s exit from the Estonian market and transfer of its portfolio to the Lithuanian branch.
- Assisting Bolt with designing a complex tax and invoicing structure for the client’s brand new food delivery business line.
- Advising BaltCap on tax questions related to its anticipated exit from Auto24 group.
Glikman Alvin LEVIN
Glikman Alvin LEVIN specialises in complex tax arrangements for corporate clients, as well as defending corporate and individual clients in tax proceedings. Paul Keres is noted for his work in tax litigation. The team is advising Wintons on an ongoing tax procedure relating to a tax assessment alleging missing trader VAT fraud on behalf of a contractor. Priit Raudsepp left the firm in mid-2020.
Eesti Loto (Estonian Lottery)
Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA
KINGSWIN ONLINE OÜ
4TIMES CAPITAL AS
Viru Keemia Grupp AS
Metro Baltic Guernsey Limited
MELMA & MELMA OÜ
Mr. Rene Kuulmann
SIGMA TRANSPORT OÜ
- Acting for Wintons in an ongoing tax procedure relating to a tax assessment alleging missing trader VAT fraud.
The 'professional and competitive' team at HansaLaw OÜ works exclusively on tax matters, providing a partner-focused approach to tax litigation, compliance, and transactional advice. The practice is led by Vahur Kivistik and the 'outstanding' Gerly Kask; the duo have previously worked for the Tax and Customs board, granting them a unique perspective on tax legislation and contentious tax work.
Vahur Kivistik; Gerly Kask
‘Competitive and professional team.‘
‘Excellent service and end results.’
LEADELL Pilv has an extensive tax litigation practice, defending corporate clients and private persons against claims for unpaid taxation. The team also advises on day-to-day tax matters and handles multi-jurisdictional disputes. Experienced litigator Aivar Pilv is praised for his work in tax disputes, with Jaak Siim also noted for his advisory and litigation work.
Aivar Pilv; Jaak Siim
‘Extensive practical and professional experience.‘
Kruuson Kaubandus OÜ
Applaford ES Transport & Logistics
TMS Ehitus OÜ
- Successfully defended Saarek AS and a member of its management board in a major criminal case regarding allegedly unpaid taxes.
Sorainen advises on transfer pricing and due diligence matters for corporate clients, and also has a significant focus on tax legislation, as well as acting for corporate clients and tax authorities on amendments to tax law. The practice is led by Paul Künnap, who advises on the tax aspects of M&A transactions with extensive knowledge of both Estonian and Finnish tax legislation. The presence of constitutional law expert Allar Jõks grants the firm considerable gravitas in working with public sector authorities on tax issues. Of counsel Kärt Anna Maire Kelder stands out for her international tax law expertise. Senior associate Tanel Molok is also noted.
Tallinna Linnatranspordi AS
Nauticor GmbH & Co. KG
AB Lietuvos draudimas (PZU Insurance)
- Advising Nauticor on VAT, customs and excise issues.
- Assisting PZU Insurance with cross-border tax issues.
- Advising Liwathon on the tax due diligence aspects of its acquisition of Vopak.
TGS Baltic primarily represents clients in tax disputes, bringing its expertise in tax legislation to bear. The team increasingly seek binding rulings from the Tax and Customs board, and participate as experts in government consultations on tax law. The group also advises clients on tax considerations relating to transactions and corporate restructuring, as well as day-to-day tax concerns such as VAT. The practice is led by litigator Helmut Pikmets, who has argued regularly before the Supreme Court in tax proceedings. Senior associate Sergei Jegorov is highly regarded as a dedicated tax specialist.
Møller Eiendom group
- Representing Tallink Grupp AS and its subsidiary Tallink Duty Free AS in eight disputes with the Tax and Customs Board, the Environmental Protection Inspectorate, the Competition Board and the Consumer Protection Board.
- Advising Møller Eiendom Baltikum on tax matters regarding the sale of shares in an Estonian SPV.
- Advising Niidu Apteek on tax matters regarding the restructuring of the company.
At boutique tax firm ATTELA Advokaadibüroo, Marek Herm, Marko Saag, and Kaspar Lind jointly head the team, which has expertise in litigation and advisory work. The firm has recently advised extensively on blockchain, assisting Amon and Lightstreams Network with tax issues related to ICOs.
Marek Herm; Marko Saag; Kaspar Lind
‘The best tax team in Estonia.’
Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co specialises in tax disputes against and for public sector bodies alongside corporate tax advice, particularly employment-related concerns such as double taxation, payroll taxation and fringe benefit taxation. Practice head Toomas Pikamäe is an accomplished litigator. The team is defending the city of Tallinn in a high-profile dispute against several businesses relating to the city's municipal sales tax, a case with significant legislative implications.
AS Eesti Keskkonnateenused
Tallinn City Government
Samsung Electronics Baltics SIA
MM Grupp OÜ
VGFS Financial Services Estonia OÜ
Confido Healthcare Group OÜ
Fort Holding OÜ
- Representing the city of Tallinn in a dispute with several businesses over municipal sales tax.
- Advising 1Partner Ehitus on the VAT taxation of apartments.
- Representing OÜ Ilotrükk in a tax dispute court case against the Estonian Tax and Customs Board.
Magnusson advises on corporate tax considerations in the fields of employment, restructuring, and transactional structures, with a notable capability in cross-border employment taxation matters. The practice is led by Elvira Tulvik, who advises on corporate and international tax law as well as representing clients in tax disputes.
RASK Attorneys-at-Law can count on the experience of tax specialist Villy Lopman, previously the principal lawyer at the Estonian Tax and Customs Board. As such, the practice handles a number of significant matters relating to the constitutionality of national taxation and cross-border tax considerations. Lopman represents the city of Tallinn in an ongoing dispute with businesses regarding the city's local sales tax.
Pärnu Sadam AS
Estonian Autosport Events MTÜ
City of Tallinn
Jõhvi Kaubakeskuse AS
- Representing the city of Tallinn in a dispute with businesses regarding the city’s introduction of a local sales tax.
- Challenging the constitutionality of Estonia’s land tax on behalf of Jõhvi Kaubakeskuse.
KPMG Law in Estonia
Led by 'outstanding professional' Joel Zernask, the 'very knowledgeable' team at Advokaadibüroo KPMG Law provides full tax advisory services to corporate clients in matters such as restructuring, transactions, market entrance and exits, and VAT concerns. The team also represents clients in tax disputes. Clients include Livonia Partners and BaltCap.
‘Practical and solutions-oriented.’
‘Very knowledgeable team providing the perfect balance of legal knowledge and practical experience.’
AGE Com OÜ
- Represented Eesti AGA in a tax dispute.
- Advising Laurus S.a.r.l. on the tax aspects of its exit from the Baltic real estate market.
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ
Priit Lätt and Hannes Lentsius jointly head the practice at Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ, which works closely with the consultancy firm's tax advisory arm to provide a joined-up service to clients, primarily advising on corporate tax considerations relating to restructuring and general strategy. Other work includes representing clients in tax disputes, often with significant cross-border involvement. Clients include the Estonian e-residency team, financial service providers and entertainment companies.
Priit Lätt; Hannes Lentsius
Estonian E-Residency team
SRC Group AS
- Advised Milrem AS on the tax aspects of compiling an employee option programme for more than 100 employees.
- Assisting Forum Cinemas AS with changing the structure of its cinemas.
- Provision of legal advice to the Estonian e-residency team, drafting legal documents and analyses to Enterprise Estonia.
TARK advises on the tax aspects of the firm's real estate, M&A and financing transactions, alongside day-to-day corporate tax advice and representation in tax litigation. The practice is led by Allar Aru, who has considerable experience in the tax aspects of deal structuring, and Hannes Küün, who primarily handles the tax-related aspects of transactions and general taxation advice.
Allar Aru; Hannes Küün
Nordic Aviation Group
Delta Productions Limited
- Advised Bestrade on VAT matters relating to contributions to a non-profit organisation.
- Assisted Klaus with the taxation aspects of its seed round financing.
- Advising PipeDrive on day-to-day taxation matters.