The ‘commercially minded‘ team at Cobalt has a strong track record in real estate transactions, including sales and purchase of commercial, industrial and other development projects. The firm has been involved in flagship transactions, covering all stages including structuring the transaction, carrying out due diligence, and drafting and negotiating the transaction and financing documents. The team is made up of experienced litigators working on complex real estate litigation, including Liina Linsi, whose client portfolio includes leading regional and international construction companies. Aivar Taro has long term experience in large-scale real estate transactions with domestic and international companies. Sandra Sillaots is noteworthy for her specialisation in matters pertaining to environmental and energy law. Siim Vahtrus has been a part of the firm since joining from WALLESS (former Derling Primus) in January 2022.
Real estate and construction in Estonia
Other key lawyers:
Liina Linsi; Sandra Sillaots; Siim Vahtrus
‘Very commercially minded, strong attention to detail and client needs.’
‘Aivar Taro was invaluable in supporting to us during our work together. He combines a strong legal mind with a commercial approach to client needs and priorities..’
‘Cobalt really knows the field of our companies. Therefore, they not only advise us with our requests, but proactively shares the news related to our field of activity and offers to help with possible actions if necessary. Cobalt’s experts are compliant and have been truly offering a sense of security when representing us.’
Nordic Real Estate Partners (NREP)
Corum Asset Management
Baltic Horizon Fund
Northern Horizon Capital/Gene Investments
BPT Real Estate
Pro Kapital Grupp
Pirita Tee Development
Viru Keemia Grupp
Jysk Linnen`n Furniture OÜ
Enery Development GmbH
Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Advised Viru Keemia Grupp (VKG) in a sale and leaseback transaction of the Stockmann department stores in Tallinn and Riga.
- Advised OX2 in connection with acquisition and development of a portfolio of 15+ wind farm development projects in Estonia from TMV Green.
- Advised Tallinn City in renegotiating PPP contracts with Vivatex Holding for the lease of five school buildings in Tallinn.
Ellex has been involved in numerous major transactions and construction projects, as well as landmark disputes in the Estonian real estate market. Examples include working on projects regarding million-euro power plants, windmill parks, nuclear power plants and oil shale operations. Martin Käerdi is the head of the real estate and infrastructure practice and has handled numerous M&A transactions in real estate, infrastructure and energy. Martin Triipan has practical experience in advising clients on complex clients on complex environmental liability transactions. Jaanus Ikla was the former general counsel to the Port of Tallinn and has extensive experience in a wide range of projects including purchase, sale and expansion of hotels, shopping centres and windmill parks. Risto Vahimets deals with M&A and real estate matters relating to shopping malls and retail properties. Triin Frosch works exclusively on energy infrastructure matters, while Ermo Kosk is described as a ‘superstar‘ in complex financing and real estate transactions.
Martin Käerdi; Martin Triipan
Other key lawyers:
Jaanus Ikla; Risto Vahimets; Triin Frosch; Ermo Kosk
‘Ermo Kosk is just a superstar.’
‘Ellex is our main partner regarding legal issues, who we turn to with an array of issues. We’ve had a extremely pleasant experience so far- even our most urgent requests have been handled professionally in a quick and timely manner, the communication has always been clear and concise and has helped us navigate through complex legal issues. I’m truly impressed with the scope of professional services Ellex is able to provide to such a high standard.’
‘Ermo Kosk is our primary partner at Ellex, who has done a superb job at building and maintaining a highly professional team who is able to respond to even our most urgent requests.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Graanul Invest AS
- Advised the shareholders of AS Graanul Invest (Biofuel OÜ, Neoinvesteeringud OÜ and Renergy OÜ) in the sale of 100% shareholding to Apollo Global Management Inc. investment funds.
- Advising Viljandi Real Estate OÜ who is local development company of the IKEA franchisee on all aspects of the development project including acquisition of the property from local municipality, planning and design, financing and construction of the store and development of adjacent properties.
- Advising Eesti Energia AS on the development and establishment of the first offshore wind park in the Baltic states with up to 2 GW capacity.
FORT advises on large high-end transactions and have a track record in cross-border matters involving their Estonian and Lithuanian offices. The firm has leading expertise in commercial real estate matters, with Minni-Triin Park having twenty years of experience in advising major Estonian and international investors and asset manages on a full range of real estate and construction matters. Margus Kõiva is a specialist in zoning, planning, energy and environmental matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Minni-Triin Park is one of the very best in the market.’
‘Fort provides services in a professional and personal manner, the partners are heavily involved. Their answers are quick and based on deep knowledge of the real estate industry, they are a well known knowledge hub on the Baltics real estate market. Industry knowledge is key to us.’
‘Minni-Triin Park is our trusted advisor who understands what we are trying to achieve. When we have an important case, we use her. We also deal directly with other attorneys depending on their area of expertise. Margus Kõiva is a good expert on zoning and permitting matters. Andreas Veeret and Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff are both brilliant litigators who always defend their clients but are also not afraid to give their honest opinion when asked.’
Capitalica Asset Management
BPT Real Estate/Newsec
LHV Pension Funds
Utilitas Tallinn AS
Viru Keskus AS
Finnish Pontos group companies
Estonian Environment Agency
Sorainen is a leading firm in real estate and construction with the team working on a range of assignments including project development, environmental planning and real estate development. The group has been involved in a number of large projects, including involvement in the Tallinn-Helsinki underwater tunnel. Paul Künnap is the head of the team, and has been involved in major real estate matters on the market, often with international elements. Piret Jesse is knowledgeable in complex real estate transactions and disputes. Triin Ploomipuu stands out for her twenty years of experience in the field and is the go-to choice for property transactions.
Paul Künnap; Piret Jesse
Other key lawyers:
‘For us the most important part about the Sorainen team is that it knows the client – its core businesses, ambition, values and team. This makes the process much smoother and more efficient. For us, very important is also open and clear communication between the parties as well as keeping promises on both ends.’
‘Sorainen’s real estate team has high-level experience and so far has managed to help us in all relevant subjects. We haven’t felt that they miss any of the competences and in addition, communication is smooth and fast.’
Estonian Ministry of Finance
Embassy of the United States in Estonia
NGO Eesti Erametsaliit
Finest Bay Area Development
- Advised Stockmann on the €87m sale of its department store properties in Tallinn, Estonia, and Riga to the investment arm of Viru Keemia Grupp.
- Advised Rail Baltic on the €178m procurement for constructing Rail Baltic’s Ülemiste Joint Terminal.
- Advised GE Power on the conclusion of an EPC contract with Eesti Energia, which relates to the construction of a major power plant.
WALLESS (former Derling Primus)
WALLESS (former Derling Primus) is highly recognised for its work on issues related to real estate transactions, zoning and building permits, administrative restrictions such as environmental laws and real estate development. The team represents a diverse client list, advising local and state authorities, NGO’s, landowners, construction companies and developers. Piret Kergandberg has in-depth expertise in issues ranging from real estate transactions and construction contracts to environmental law. Margo Lemetti advises clients on large-scale real estate development projects in Southern Estonia, while Angela Kase is a name to watch for her work focused on resolving issues and disputes related to planning and construction law and environmental law.
Other key lawyers:
Margo Lemetti; Angela Kase
Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co
Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co is prominent in the real estate market in Estonia, offering a full service across commercial and residential property transactions, project finance issues and construction mandates. Kristi Jõemets has worked on real estate matters for over twenty years, in both the private and public sectors, and has a background in architecture. Dmitri Zdobnõh has extensive experience, having led some of the firm’s most significant real estate matters. Kaarel Berg stands out for his work in advising clients on prominent real estate litigation matters.
Other key lawyers:
Kristi Jõemets; Dmitri Zdobnõh; Kaarel Berg
E-Piim Tootmine AS
Rand Consulting OÜ
AS G4S Estonia
Jalgpalliklubi Tallinna Kalev
EKT Ecobio OÜ
- Advised one of the largest dairy producers in Estonia, E-Piim AS, to finalise investments into the construction of a new dairy factory, and the finalised all respective contracts.
- Assisted our client Bidrent OÜ who sought to invest in the development, operation, and licensing of a property management platform for landlords and tenants.
- Assisted EKT Ecobio in two different court disputes where different companies disputed the client’s building permit for construction of a biogas plant; the courts dismissed both complaints.
The ‘professional’ practice at Loor has a focus on real estate and construction within a wide range of areas including real estate development, joint ventures, bank and mezzanine financing, letting, planning, permitting, sales and acquisitions, investment management, tax planning and disputes. The firm have a niche in VAT refund assignments in real estate transactions and investment agreements. Kaido Loor advises major institutional and private investors on sales and acquisitions of undeveloped land and all types of commercial real estate, both in asset and share details, due diligence and leases.
‘Team is small but with exceptionally strong back-round and know-how. Opposite with the big law firms where clients have direct contact with the partner or senior level but the work is often done by others (or juniors) in the back-office, it’s very different with AB Loor. Mr. Loor himself and the partners are involved with every detail by themselves – this makes the cooperation and information flow between the client and lawyer very smooth, reliable and trusful.’
‘I would point out strong professional know-how and also high intelligence in the wider picture that is really important for the client when working together with lawyer in every aspect of negotiation or dispute.’
Mitt & Perlebach
- Advised Palmgrupp-lead joint venture in the acquisition of 132-room 4* hotel airport real estate from local seller, negotiating a hotel management agreement with Accor and negotiating all other related agreements (loans, security, advisory, etc).
- Advising the client in post-closing matters: obtaining construction permits (which proved impossible), terminating lease by the tenant, reduction of purchase prices towards the sellers, handling partial expropriation of land, etc.
- Representing Hepsor, a regional listed development company, in a very complex planning situation where Tallinn city demands, in violation of current spatial plan and law, substantial cash contribution and free land transfers for kindergarten against (~85 000 m2 of) building rights.
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm services a wide range of international clients, with practice head partner Veikko Toomere serving as a prominent restructuring specialist. In terms of complicated real estate transactions, Jelizaveta Henno has extensive knowledge and experience in representing clients due to her work as an in-house counsel for one of the largest retail chains in the Baltics. Raimo Klesment deals with large scale real estate projects and disputes that include technical and planning aspects.
Veikko Toomere; Jelizaveta Henno
Other key lawyers:
Stoneridge Electronics AS
Sveafastigheter Fersen AB
MBK Co., Ltd, Estonian Japan Trading Company AS
Tommi Mäkinen Racing OÜ
VG Estonia OÜ (Coolbet)
Aktsiaselts VIRU ÕLU (Harboes Bryggeri A/S)
Premium Storage SIA
Roobu II OÜ and OÜ ALTEPARK
Viking Line (Viking Line Eesti OÜ)
Huber Manser OÜ
Invescore Co., Ltd (Japan)
Eskaro AS (part of Flügger Group A/S)
GVP Invest Estonia OÜ
- Advised Tommi Mäkinen Racing OÜ (the owner of the former workshop of the Toyota Gazoo Racing WRC team in Peetri, Estonia) in lease negotiations and signing of the lease and reconstruction agreement and with Amserv Group.
- Assisted Bronx Wood OÜ in the acquisition of the forest land in Estonia and transactions with the forest.
- Advised Aktsiaselts VIRU ÕLU (part of Danish stock company Harboes Bryggeri A/S) in the closing of the complex sales-purchase transaction based on which the Viru Õlu production unit in Estonia (incl. the immovable property in Haljala and equipment) was sold to the Finnish Pyynikin Brewing Company.
NOVE is known for advising different types of real estate companies including developers, construction companies, designers and public sector/infrastructure companies. The firm has been instructed with drafting contracts, litigation and pre litigation matters, alongside procurement issues. Kristjan Tamm has a background in construction, having worked as a civil engineer and head of engineering at a construction company, making his experience and expertise tailored to technical questions, enabling him to give quality legal advice. Veiko Vaske stands out for his work advising and representing clients in aspects of the construction process, including planning disputes and permits.
Other key lawyers:
Heili Püümann; Veiko Vaske; Katrin Martson
AS Lääne-Tallinna Keskhaigla (West Tallinn Central Hospital)
Esvika Elekter AS
Merko Ehitus Eesti AS
Alvar MÜ TÜ
- Advised Merko Ehitus Eesti AS, which is the largest construction company in Estonia, in a 1 MEUR claim against a large local real estate developer.
- Advised Alvar MÜ TÜ, a company uniting Central Estonian farmers, in court proceedings regarding the construction of the grain processing complex in Alavere (matter value 1 MEUR).
- Advised Restor AS, a reputable construction company, in court proceedings regarding the debt collection from the developer of the Hotel Regent Tallinn (matter value 1,5 MEUR).
TARK has a strong presence in advising companies in retail, wholesale and shopping centres, alongside clients in the agriculture and farming space. Allar Aru has experience in advising clients in real estate and construction transactions, while Hannes Küün advises clients on commercial real estate sale and purchase deals, construction matters, lease agreements and real estate regulatory work. Tanel Tark is a key contact for real estate-related M&A.
Allar Aru; Hannes Küün; Tanel Tark;
Aravete Biogaas OÜ
- Advising on acquisitions of real estates (SPVs) required for the development of Hundipea (Paljassaare Peninsula) by Notorious OÜ.
- Advised Aravete Biogaas OÜ (which is involved in production of biogas from manure) in the negotiation process with Bioforce OÜ in regards of the construction of new production plant to Aravete Biogaas OÜ, including negotiations with local municipality in regards of planning regulation issues and negotiation of FIDIC agreement matters.
- Advising Riigi Kinnisvara AS (state-owned operator of public real estate, with close to 5 million m2 of property under management) in its daily operations involving different major real estate and construction matters which are connected to the development, operation and lease of public real estate, including also public procurement matters.
TGS Baltic‘s real estate and construction practice is proficient in public procurement proceedings, public contracts, real estate M&A and transactions. Martin Tamme focuses on planning, construction, distressed asset deals, restructuring, multi-party projects, voluminous audits, occupancy permits and development project financing. Peeter Viirsalu is noted for his experience in real estate development and regulatory work.
‘The fact that I have stayed with TGS for all these years, speaks a lot of their quality and dedication. Not only are they hands-on and business minded, but they pay attention to us as clients and dedicate special effort to be sure that we feel satisfied with their services and they are always looking to improve. I thing that this speaks a lot of the firm – they are constantly trying to evolve and meet the highest standards’
‘My main contact in real estate and construction matters is partner Peeter Viirsalu. We have worked together for many years with some very difficult projects and I trust his knowledge and advice based on our long term successful cooperation.’
‘As expected from a full scale big law firm (big in the Estonian sense) the TGS team is up to the finest industry standard.’
‘Our main contact is partner Peeter Viirsalu whom we regard as our go-to attorney in all of our real estate and construction cases. He has exceptional gut feeling what comes to solving even the most complex legal disputes we have come across.’
‘Quick and efficient discussions with our main contact, Peeter Viirsalu. It is necessary service for us for making informed decisions and action plans before and during our production/construction processes.’
Reterra Estate OÜ
City of Tallinn (Tallinn City Hall)
Tallinn University (Tallinna Ülikool)
Mapri Ehitus OÜ
Port of Tallinn
Timbeco Woodhouse OÜ
The University of Tartu
Ministry of Environment of the Republic of Estonia
Nordicelement Tallinn OÜ
LHV Varahaldus AS
- Advising the City of Tallinn (through its subsidiary) in proceedings required to begin the development and reconstruction of Linnahall (City Hall) to make it a multi-functional cultural and conference centre.
- Advising the Ministry of Environment on a wide range of legal aspects related to the planning and financing of the construction of the new environmentally friendly office for the Ministry, its subordinate institutions and the Estonian Museum of Natural History.
- Advised LHV Varahaldus AS in acquiring a registered immovable from Sõpruse 157 OÜ. The property includes the first office building in Tallinn which was built according to the Green Building concept.
Cuesta Law Office
Cuesta Law Office operates across real estate transaction structuring, construction and development management, financing of real estate transactions, construction and development management, financing and design projects. Lada Riisna has wide experience in real estate sales and financing contracts, having worked in the legal market for sixteen years. Britta Oltjer is the head of the team and advises clients in deals and transactions in the Baltics, with her main client base including major real estate firms, chemical companies, hotels and retailers. Eva Mägi specialises in regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
Lada Riisna; Eva Mägi
‘They are easy to communicate and they give us direct answers to our questions. Great team and very good specialists.’
‘They have the full knowledge of our company and they know exactly how our company works.’
‘Cuesta Law Office is very focused on client needs and they have a great team to solve any kind different situations that client might have.’
Kitsas 16 Kodu OÜ
Arens Ehitustööd OÜ
AKCIJU SABIEDRIBA BMGS EESTI FILIAAL
- Advising Lindenline OÜ in different questions arising from financing a real estate development project and representing the client in all pre-trial negotiations.
- Representing ETRE OÜ in an action alleging that the client has incurred expenses for the real estate jointly owned by the parties, so that the defendant must reimburse the client in proportion to the size of the defendant’s joint ownership.
LEADELL Pilv provides quality legal advice in real estate and construction in relation to complex construction disputes, drafting articles of associations, concluding contracts, selling of real estate and obtaining building permits. The team is well-versed in representing international clients across a variety of regions including Ukraine, Sweden, Latvia and Poland. Merilin Ojasaar is a highly rated expert in litigation, while Pirkka- Marja Põldvere has overseen a number of standout real estate transactions.
Pirkka-Marja; Põldvere; Merilin Ojasaar
‘They have been very attentive towards my concerns and the issue in which they have been hired to represent me in. Cooperation has been smooth and the personnel very professional.’
‘My lawyer has always been available. I highly appreciate her insight, knowledge of the field, quick action and precise use of language.’
Petromaks Holding OÜ
Estkompexim Toitlustus OÜ
Otepää Rural Municipality Government
Evicon Ehitus OÜ
Lemon Print OÜ
Marina Minerals OÜ
Redgate Capital AS
Kadrikese Haldus OÜ
SA Tallinna Ettevõtlusinkubaatorid
- Advising and representing the client in a dispute where the client was tasked with conducting the sale process of a right of superficies with a value of over 10 million euros, but when the subject was sold then the client of Redgate Capital AS refused to pay the commission.
- Counselling and representation of client regarding various issues related to registration of a port and providing related services.
- Counselling and representation of client (both off-court and in courts) regarding environmental permits (mining, geological investigation etc; negotiations with local governments).
Magnusson is an international law firm with strong regional coverage and competence in handling cross-border assignments. The firm has the capability of servicing clients in Sweden, Denmark and Finland, covering transactions, projects, financing and insolvency. Kaidar Sultson specialises in real estate and construction matters, and is the go-to attorney for complicated, high-stakes civil disputes. Toomas Mälberg specialises in construction and real estate with a focus on infrastructure matters.
Kaidar Sultson; Toomas Mälberg
- Advising the biggest Latvian construction products seller DEPO DIY SIA in relation to opening their first store in Estonia on both real estate and construction matters, monitoring competition and COVID-19 related restrictions.
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ is headed by Karin Marosov who has more than 14 years of experience in commercial real estate matters and is able to advise clients on real estate transaction services including acquisitions and disposals. Jana Tudelep stands out for her specialist knowledge in contract law and has advised clients in entering into large-scale construction and design agreements and lease agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Ingeri-Helena Kakko; Jana Tudelep
‘The team is made up of specialists from various fields and therefore can provide assistance on a very wide scale.’
‘The employees were thorough and dedicated to achieving the goal. In addition, they provided explanations about the process, and therefore we were also able to have a say in important decisions.’
‘PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ has a very professional and goal-oriented team. They have a very customer friendly mindset. Their team is very flexible and always ready to listen to the customer. They are proactive and come with suggestions, how to solve the issues and being prepared for some law acts changes.’
Adacel Technologies Limited
Pärituule Residentsid OÜ
Colonna Varahaldus OÜ
Ensto Ensek AS
Espak Ehitustööd OÜ
Helland Baltic OÜ
Maakri KVF OÜ
Nõlva Metsaküla Selts MTÜ
project spruce OÜ
- Advised real estate company Maakri KVF OÜ on the sale of one of the most expensive sites in the capital of Estonia, located in an area of high-rise buildings in the heart of Tallinn.
- Advised project spruce OÜ on a voluntary carbon offset project.
- Representing Tartu City Government in an administrative court dispute over Tartu’s new comprehensive plan.
RASK Attorneys-at-Law is home to lawyers who are prominent advisors in the real estate and construction sector, dealing with large scale real estate disputes, major transactions, negotiations as well as all daily corporate matters. The firm’s client list includes prominent real estate and construction firms and investment funds in Estonia. The team is led by Ramon Rask and Marina Lapidus , with Rask having extensive experience in consulting Estonia’s leading real estate funds, as well as resolving disputes both in and out of court. Lapidus has in depth sector-specific knowledge, and has worked on public procurement and execution of construction contracts.
Ramon Rask; Marina Lapidus
‘High client focus and good professionals. Lead partner has a deep practical knowledge off the field as well which makes him stand out against competitors.’
‘I have worked mostly with Ramon Rask and his knowledge of the field and practical advice on mediation makes him stand out against competition.’
Nordlin Ehitus OÜ
Lumi Retail Property Fund
Lumi Retail Partners OÜ
Püha Johannese Kooli SA
MAVE Varahalduse OÜ
Tallinna Teaduspark Tehnopol SA
Zenith Family Office OÜ
Triniti Estonia is experienced in small and large scale infrastructure projects, both in the public and private domain. The firm has advised investors and developers on commercial real estate transactions, land planning, leasing and construction contracts. Ramil Pärdi has experience in property, spatial planning and construction law, and has advised large-scale construction projects, with key clients including Rail Baltica Estonia Ltd. Sandor Elias stands out for his experience in spatial planning and permit-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
Ramil Pardi; Sandor Elias; Virge Murak
‘A wide array of specialists in their team.’
‘Klen Laus – on his own initiative seeking out ways to both secure and improve our business. Introducing to people our business might be helpful for and vice versa. Helps with project management by keeping track of and following up on open tasks. Anything not known, he will learn and find out.’
Rail Baltic Estonia Ltd.
Reme Grupp OÜ
Kiikri Ehitus OÜ
- TRINITI is advising the state-owned company Rail Baltic Estonia in many important spatial planning assignments related with planning and constructing new high-speed 1435 mm pan-Baltic railway.
- TRINITI is advising one of the leading energy groups Utilitas in the acquisition and development of a sea and land wind farms in Estonia, consisting of modern wind turbines with the goal to contribute to the green energy goals and enhance the Baltic renewable energy balance.
- TRINITI is advising Kroodi Vesi OÜ in a large water infrastructure renovation/reconstruction project at Kroodi Industrial Area.
LEXTAL has over 19 years of experience within real estate, advising industrial, commercial and residential real estate transactions alongside planning and development. The firm has a focus on renewable energy related projects, with an increase in clientele served who operate wind farms and solar plants. Managing partner Marge Männiko heads the team, and has notably acted as an arbitrator in the Court of Arbitration of the Estonian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘Team is highly professional. Real estate team was mainly female representors, which was very nice to see, since we value diversity in companies.’
‘Work flow in the firm was very quick, all deals are done professionally. The knowledge on real estate and construction law was rather comprehensive. Very good customer communication.’
‘LEXTAL has a unique capability to cover different areas of business life. Also, the know-how of regulations of different countries which makes it easy to handle international business with them.’
TotalEnergies Renewables SAS
OBERMEYER INTERNATIONAL GmbH
Ministry of Finance
Retori Estate OÜ
Dorpat Ehitus OÜ
- Carried out a study on territory planning, construction, and wind power plant tender procedures for TotalEnergies Renewables SAS to enter in offshore wind power plant market in Baltics.
- Conducted a pilot project for Ministry of Finance of acquiring of apartment houses in public interest which are in process of being abandoned, additional recommendations for draft acts on the matter.
- Advised Oruvara OÜ on acquisition of the real estate for the big-scale office building development, tender of the construction, drafting and negotiating the construction agreement, every-day consultation regarding fulfilment of the construction agreement.