Intellectual property in Egypt
Head of litigation Hossam A. El-Saghir and of counsels Salah Ismaiel and Sarah El-Saghir are the key practitioners at El-Saghir Law Firm. The firm handles patent litigation, copyrights, trade marks, plant breeders’ rights, internet-related IP matters and unfair competition issues, as well as corporate matters for multinational, regional and local corporations. Its clients include businesses in the fine art and pharmaceutical sectors, for which it recently won several IP disputes.
Hossam A. El-Saghir; Salah Ismaiel; Sarah El-Saghir
- Defended a well-known generic drug company against one of the largest pharmaceutical multinational corporations in the Cairo Economic Court of Appeals.
- Represented the defendant, an importer of plastic tiles used in the construction of swimming pools, in a dispute brought by the owner of a patent concerning similar plastic tiles.
- Acted in a dispute between a generic drug company and one of the leading multinational pharmaceutical corporations concerning a patent application filed by a multinational corporation to the Egyptian Patent Office concerning a drug for the treatment of diabetes.
NAL & Partners has one of the leading IP practitioners in Egypt in Nermien Al-Ali, who focuses on IP portfolio management and contractual matters. Khaled Kamal leads on IP litigation and enforcement. Clients include AbbVie, Merck Sharpe & Dohme, PepsiCo., Apple, Vodafone and Skechers. In recent work, the firm handled high-profile enforcement matters, as well as trade mark infringement cases.
- Advised Pepsi Cola entities on a breach of intellectual property and sponsorship rights.
- Handled a number of enforcement actions resulting in the removal of unauthorised Apple trade marks and logos, and counterfeit products, from major shopping centres and mega stores in Cairo and Alexandria.
- Advised on the registration and launch of the national bank card Mezza, as well as the acquisition and protection of software and mobile applications and fintech solutions and technologies owned by EBC covering the banking industry and online payment field.
Shalakany Law Office is highly respected for its work on patent filing, litigation and portfolio management, as well as strategic advice on the protection of intellectual property. It frequently represents large multinational corporations, individual inventors, authors and owners of creative works. It has niche expertise in trade secrets and breeding rights. IP manager Amal El Khafif and associate Mahmoud El Omda are the key contacts.
Amal El Khafif; Mahmoud El Omda
USA – Ministry of Agriculture
Dr. Association (Subway)
Majid EL Futtaim
- Assisted Allana with the filing of applications for seven trade marks.
- Handled the renewal of three trade marks for Kazaroni.
- Handled the registration of trade marks for Sumed.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law has handled IP protection for more than 60 years, with its work encompassing litigation, licensing, registration and transactional support. Senior partner and head of litigation Youssef Abou Zeid leads the practice, which handles matters relating to patents and utility models, trade marks, industrial models and designs, copyright and authorship rights. Senior associate Mohamed Kassem is another name to note.
Youssef Abou Zeid
Alchemy Project Egypt
Pacific Pharmaceuticals Pte Ltd
SSLegal & Management Consultancy FZ-LLE
Eveready Battery Company, Inc.
Vodafone Egypt Telecom S.A.E.
Oasis Medical Clinics S.A.E.
Misr Spain Textiles and Blankets S.A.E.
Rotam Agrochemical Limited
Tai E International Patent & Law Office
The American University in Cairo (AUC)
Cement Assiut S.A.E.
Bawabat Al Sharq Al Qahira Al Gadedah (formerly Barwa New Cairo for 5Real Estate)
Tawfeer Ventures Limited
Professional Development Foundation (PDF)
Thompson Coburn, LLB
Tivoli Heliopolis S.A.E.
Anvirally & Sons Limited
Bemis Company, Inc.
Shangri-La Hotel Management Limited
Wilmar International Limited
GTB Holding LLC
Horus For Foams Manufacturing S.A.E.
Al Rifai Nuts & Confectionary
Abercrombie & Kent Egypt for Tourism S.A.E.
Fawry for Banks and Electronic Payments Technology S.A.E.
Johnson Wax Limited
Flying Horse Electronics (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.
Lactuel Cosmetics S.A.E.
Ismailia For Real Estate S.A.E.
International Fairs Projects Egypt (IFP) S.A.E.
Hikma Pharmaceuticals Egypt Ltd
Applied DB Industrial Co. Ltd
Majid Al Futtaim Properties
Landmark Gulf Group
Shandong Sino-Agri United Biotechnology Co., Ltd.
Beltone Private Equity (BPE)
Dennemeyer & Co., LLC
Conrad International Egypt Corporation
Network International Egypt SAE
Zasio Enterprises, Inc.
Empire International SAL
E*Trade Financial Corporation
MVMT Watches Inc.
Crystal Lagoons B.V
9 Round Franchising LLC
Capital Group Properties
Madinet Nasr for Housing & Development (MNHD)
King Point Enterprise Co. Ltd.
- Representing Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications in a court action brought by Rotana Audio Visual concerning prevention of the use of a song by Amr Diab and claiming $6m as indemnification for related damages.
- Representing Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications in its appeal against Etisalat for the unauthorised use of the character “El Mared” (the Giant) in TV commercials.
- Acting for Tivoli Heliopolis for Touristic Development in its appeal against the Egyptian Emirates Company for Touristic Establishments to stop using the trademark “Armada”.
Al Kamel Law Office has handled trade mark registration for more than 25 years, but now also focuses on trade mark infringement, IP litigation, patent registration, industrial designs and commercial issues such as labelling, packaging, advertising and compliance with governmental regulations. Managing partner Mohamed Kamel and Sayed Ammar are the key contacts. Senior attorney Ayman Khatib is also noted.
Mohamed Kamel; Sayed Ammar
‘The Al Kamel intellectual property team is very knowledgeable with respect to the nuances of Egyptian law, but they really shine in showing good commercial sense as to how to get a deal to the finish line.‘
Kiss Nail Production
Babcock and Wilcox
Worckhardt Europe Limited
Tayas Chocolate Confectionery Inc
Durham Jones & Pinegar, P.C
Chemplex Automotive Group, Inc.
Cicero Hellas SA
Proctor & Gamble
Al Tamimi & Company's team stands out for its 'good coverage and understanding of the MENA patent system and the ability to explain it from and to a European perspective'. The IP practice is led from the UAE, but its Cairo office has an experienced senior associate in Passant Abaza who joined from Eldib & Co, and associate Abdelrahman Helmi , who deals with patent infringement cases and trade mark disputes.
‘We value most the good coverage and understanding of the MENA patent system and the ability to explain it from and to a European perspective. ‘
‘Their advice is on time, appropriate and expedient. They are seeking clarification if instructions are not clear to them and act as instructed.‘
‘They are very client-focused, well organised, reliable and responsive. We highly recommend them.‘
‘They are efficient, always responding quickly to our questions, whether they concern substantive or procedural patent matters. Their ability to handle patent applications in multiple jurisdictions in the Middle East is impressive.‘
‘The customer-oriented approach makes this team different. They are extremely driven by the customer needs and concerns and they propose tailored solutions to our needs.‘
‘They are competent and available to listen and advise.‘
MBC IP FZCO
- Conducted a raid for 3M Inc. on a retailer that sold counterfeit products.
- Reviewing a licence and maintenance agreement for a software on behalf of Fiserv.
- Acting for Danfoss in a trade mark imitation action against a trader of counterfeit products.
Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) is primarily involved with the enforcement of IP rights, with particular expertise in combating piracy, trade mark and copyright infringement, technology transfers including the licensing of technology and domain name disputes. Of counsel Samir Hamza and senior associate Mohamed Mourad are the key practitioners. Mohamad Talaat left but continues to be active under his own firm and as Of Counsel at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy.
Levari focuses on the protection and registration of trade marks in Egypt, as well as handling certificates of origin, designs and patents, copyright law and domain name licensing. Litigation, finance and regulatory specialist Mohamed Raslan and litigation associate Hatem Ahmed Sayed are the key contacts for IP matters, where the firm advises large international clients including Netflix.
- Advising American media-services provider Netflix on intellectual property rights under Egyptian Law.
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy enters the ranking having grown its client base under the guidance of legal manager and IP specialist Menna Elsherif and corporate partners Omar Bassiouny and Tamer El Hennawy. Following a watershed case for a US entertainment company, in which it recovered rights to content owned by an Egyptian TV channel, the firm has developed a strong caseload of IP prosecution and registration matters, as well as handling due diligence in corporate transactions.
Omar Bassiouny; Tamer El Hennawy; Menna Elsherif
‘The firm has an efficient and responsive team of lawyers, with an in-depth knowledge of Egyptian law and practice.’
Arqaam Securities Brokerage S.A.E.
Arqaam Capital Egypt Holding for Financial Investments S.A.E.
Arqaam Capital for Promoting Underwriting and Financial Advisory for Financial Securities S.A.E
Eldib & Co has a long track record of advising domestic and international businesses, among which are well-established brand owners and technology holders. Its workload includes trade marks, copyright and industrial design, among other areas. Managing partner Amr Eldib has more than 30 years' experience in a broad range of corporate and finance matters, but also handles IP work. Salma Khashab is also recommended.
Managing partner Amir Marghany oversees the IP practice at Marghany Advocates, which handles the registration and transfer of intellectual property rights, as well as issues such as the sale of data. Associate Hend El Hakim also plays a key role in the practice, which counts Thompson Reuters and Fustany among its clients.
- Assisting Fustany with the official registration of its trade mark and another trade mark to be used by its business.
- Assisting Treats with an out-of-court negotiation over its trade mark.
- Advising Thompson Reuters on the transfer and sale of the data acquired through its business.